Speaker 1: Smell us now, lady, welcome to meet tadcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the June twelfth episode of Meat Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain time here in Bozeman. That's one pm on the outer banks of North Carolina, where my family is currently enjoying vacation without me. Yep, they're having fun on the beach. I'm your host, Brody Henderson. I'm joined today by Seth Morris and Corey Calkins. Today it's almost Father's Day, man, so we're gonna share some hunting stories about our dads. That'll be fun. We're going to talk to fishing guy Josh Miller, who tried to get on the show a couple of weeks ago. I think about his first mate rider right here, the turkey. I don't know what that turkey's name is. We'll figure that part out. And since we're running the voting right now for our twenty twenty six Fucked Up Old Hunting Trucks calendar, we're going to talk about some bad situations we've gotten into in our hunting trucks. And on top of that, we're going to interview an actual four wheel drive truck driving expert, someone who teaches people how to drive four wheel drive trucks. I'm not sure what his credentials are, but he's a good guy, so we'll figure that part out too. Yeah, that's what we've got for. It should be a good show. What's up? How's it going, Fellas? Oh?
Speaker 3: Going good? Yeah, it's going good. Yeah.
Speaker 4: What have you been up to?
Speaker 3: I just got back from Interior, Alaska on the bear hunt with a lot of bear, a lot of bear hunting. Yeah. That's my second Alaska bear hunt of the year, right, you got a Yeah, one in southeast and one in interior.
Speaker 2: Much different style of hunting for those like could Yeah, two different planets basically, yep. But yeah it was good cool, Yeah, watching some bears die and saw some beautiful country. Sweet.
Speaker 5: See any other critters up there?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So saw wolves, grizzly bears, caribou, moose, doll, sheep, wow, a porcupine, a marmot and I think.
Speaker 4: That's it man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Corey, what have you been doing working man?
Speaker 5: Yeah, lots of work and I've been fly fishing a lot more this year. I was a well, I was a guide for fifteen years and when I retired from guiding, started this job. I didn't really want to do it anywhere. I kind of lost the dress.
Speaker 2: The same thing happened to me after whatever eighteen twenty years a guide and I just I just lost the drive to go fish on my own.
Speaker 3: That's what everyone says. I think the same thing happened with the honest too.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, maybe, but it's but it's back, man. This year, I've been fishing quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 5: Fishing is good right now at the moment. It seems like it's gonna dry up come late summer. But fish it now and going out, meeting up with my old man this weekend. Go fish the Missouri.
Speaker 2: So nice with everyone else in the state of Montana.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hopefully they're going somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I don't know, dude. That river is always busy, but there's so many trout it doesn't matter exactly.
Speaker 5: And you just kind of if everybody's fishing the right bank, fish the left bank, or the middle, well wherever the fisher bikeing. Yeah, there's a lot of fish forer a mile in there.
Speaker 2: So how about you, oh man gardening. My family's out of town, you know, like when your family goes out of town, you're like, oh god, it's gonna be great. I'm gonna have this house to myself. It's gonna be quiet. I'll get stuff done. But then they leave and you're like, God, I miss them. I'm bored. I'm getting some stuff done, but I do miss him. Well, we'll start hitting the fishing hard after the boys get back here this weekend. Nice. Yeah, Phil, we got we got old Danny Bolton on the line.
Speaker 4: Danny's standby, I yes.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Well, let's jump right in to our first guest, Danny Bolton. You guys probably seen him on the Mediator television show. He's done some stuff with cal To. He's been a friend of Mediator for several years. If you don't know him, Danny Haile's from Hawaii. He spends a lot of his time shooting arrows into feral pigs and sheep, and he spends a lot of time hol in tuna and wahou into the boat. But we've got him on the show today to talk about his job training folks how to drive four wheel drive rigs, and we're gonna pick his brain about what not to do when you're off road in your truck around, especially during hunting season. So we got him up here there he is, Danny. How's it going, man, that's good.
Speaker 6: How are you guys?
Speaker 3: Great? Great?
Speaker 2: What have you been up too lately?
Speaker 6: Did hey did a little storm chasing just recently, flew out to Kansas, drove all over the country, well not all over the country, but all over like through storm zones, and actually got to see my first tornado.
Speaker 3: Oh nice, dude, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: You don't get too many of those in WAYI huh.
Speaker 6: No, definitely don't get too many. I've seen like one little baby water spout one time, but not a full tornado.
Speaker 2: Nice. Did you have a special truck, like one of those big storm chasing trucks you were using for that?
Speaker 6: Or yeah, dude, you wouldn't believe it. My my friend Ricky is like that that they live for it. And he's got this big old orange truck, all the lights underglow, all the you know, like pretty much typical storm chasing thing, all kinds of antennas coming off of it. So got to do that with him, which was super fun. And then, dude, it's just like the movies, like pull to a gas station. There's like thirty other storm chasers all amp for the storm coming in and some crazy rigs I talk about talking about messed up old trucks, dude. Yeah, there were some crazy stuff there with like all kinds of like metal welded to it and you know, just like mad math stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's pretty funny. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, Danny, Like we've we've done some four wheel drive stuff with you in the past a little bit anyway, But give us a quick rundown of like your driving instruction job and how you got into it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll just give you a quick rundown. I guess I just grew up just off road all the time, started to play on quads and dirt bikes, and then just always had kind of beat up old trucks that we could ramble around in, and even before I had my driver's license. And then I have two older cousins that I rode dirt bikes with and they had enough money and had jobs, so they were like building trucks. So then started building trucks and that got us into offered racing. When I moved out of Hawaii after high school, started racing desert stuff, and that's kind of what got me into like the major side of off road and offered racing and then my friend does all the training. So I've actually partnered with him now and we're business together to train a bunch of people, mainly military, So mainly military to basically how to drive off road and then if the thing breaks, how to fix it if you get stuck, how to get unstuck. All the little things that you know you find out there in the desert or wherever you are, what's going to break it, similar to what would break when you're hunting, and just how to fix it. Just all those little little secrets you know.
Speaker 2: I would imagine based on my own experience getting stuck and whatnot, that one of the biggest mistakes people make when they're driving around a rough country is just like not turning around when they should, not recognizing like stopping is the best thing to do, and then you'll just avoid getting yourself in a real bad situation. But what are like some of the main most common mistakes people make when they're driving in bad conditions like washed out roads, snow, mud, whatever it might be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you kind of hit the nail on the head. Is just like your brain right, like be grow self aware of where you're at and you know, I've gone down stuff that I couldn't get back up and ended up being a dead end and it was a mission. We did get back up, but like just knowing your situation, knowing your gear, and I would say the most common things, and most people can probably relate to this is most likely flat tires and then just getting stuck. I would say, you know, out of all the crazy fixes that I've done out in the field, broken assholes, change transmission, all these crazy things, getting stuck and just flat tires are probably the two most common things. And you need to be able to fix your vehicle or get it on stuffed. So you know, just having a shovel and then checking your equipment before you go, checking your spare tire makes your ass air in it. Make sure it's the correct spare. I've I've had a truck where I got a flat and we pull out the spare and it was the wrong lug nut pattern. So make sure your jack is working.
Speaker 2: YEA, yeah, I was gonna ask you, like, what, like, what are the things you like have to have in your truck when you're like anytime you're gonna be leaving the pavement, Like, what thing what's on your list?
Speaker 3: Is stuff?
Speaker 2: Everyone should have in their in their truck.
Speaker 6: You got to keep it real simple without sending people way down the rabbit hole. But I would have make sure your jack is working. Most cars and trucks come with a jack stock, so that that's fine. Just make sure you have your jack and all the little pieces you need to use your jack, and then also your spare tire. Make sure you have a spare tire and a lugnut ranch and then all the little pieces you need to get your spare down to. Usually it's the same thing that you use for your jack. And then I would say a shovel. If you're going off road, like to go camp or go hunt or something, just bring a shovel. And then a little toe rope like a toe strap would be amazing. But to keep it very simple, I would say, out of those things, you can get yourself out of a lot of trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about those you know those plastic things you lay down on the ground attraction board? Do you use those at all?
Speaker 3: Very rarely?
Speaker 6: They come in handy and if you're planning on getting stuck a lot, they're cool to have, But honestly, like if you're trying to keep it simple. You don't really need.
Speaker 3: It, Like, so.
Speaker 4: Hickup here, I think we actually lost connection here and.
Speaker 2: Oh there he is. We lost you there for like a little less than a minute. So I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I would say they just just you don't You don't need them. You can find other stuff to throw down that whole rocks, sagebrush whatever. I don't really carry them.
Speaker 2: So what you're telling me is wasting my money on mine.
Speaker 6: No, if you have them, If you have them, and when it comes time to use them, you're gonna love them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. I've used him a couple of times.
Speaker 5: You're supposed to have him like on top of your truck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bright orange ones. Everyone can see him.
Speaker 5: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: How about uh, how about like towing campers or four wheeler trailers, anything like any tips there or just like anything people.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'd say the two things about towing stuff in is just know what you're towing and like where it is, because you don't want to get that thing twisted up or stuck. And then you're also pulling a lot more weight. So if you're going up super technical stuff, you're you're putting more stress on all your equipment. On your truck because you're pulling this extra weight, and I have seen axle snap and drive shafts and you joints and stuff go out. So I just know, since you're pulling that extra weight, you just kind of got to account for it, and then obviously backing it up like you want to get it. You know, you don't want to get in the spot where you're having a backup for a mile, and especially if it's a small trailer of the things like twisting around on you.
Speaker 2: Earlier, we showed a picture you haul those moose out from a couple of years ago. Yeah, is that like the kind of the HAIRYUS four wheel drive and experience you've you've ever been in?
Speaker 6: Uh, definitely not.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean we never even flipped it over on that one, like it never it never even ended up upside down. But that was a long one and it just the the waight of the situation with having you know, all that meat and trying to get out like we we went in the first part of the season and then when we shot those moose was the last day of the season. So I remember when we were broken down and this this ship was crazy. We ended up shooting to mooses, moose missus and uh bulls. We shot two bulls, and so we had to get all this meat out and we ended up breaking the belts on those are kind of known to go and we had already gone through our spare. We brought a spare and I had already gone through it, and then we had to stick go through the radiator and we had to totally fix that whole situation. So crimp that all down and get that all fixed. But while we're fixing that, there was a river nearby, and I remember watching the last jet boat basically go down the river because there's there's no reason to be back there unless you're moose hunting. And it was the last day of the season, and I remember watching that last boat go by and like knowing that that was probably our last person that was going to be out there. And if we couldn't get that thing fixed, we were nine miles at that point from the road, so hiking like all that meat to the road was going to be almost impossible. So we had to get that thing fixed, and yeah, it was, It was. It was an amazing trip. We ended up getting the thing fixed and getting out and took took a while though it took us four Adyce missed my flight, So.
Speaker 2: That's all right. You got a couple of giant bulls. It's okay, all right. One last question, Danny, what would your like kind of ideal four wheel drive hunting rig, Like, what would it be and how would you have it set up? Like would you have a topper on there camper? Like, just kind of give us a rundown of what your rig would look like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no problem. Basically I probably have a mid sized truck. Full size gets a little big to where you know you're having trouble making tight corners and stuff maneuver and ended up like bottom, So like a Tacoma Ford Ranger or something more in the mid size range. And then I can just tell you what I have like in the mainland, Like I have a toylet of Tacoma, and then I have a deck system in the back stores everything, lock it up, and then I have a go fast camp on top, which is like a just a camper that has a tent on top of it. You don't necessarily need the tent on top of it. You could just tent camp, which is fine, but having some way to enclose the back so that you don't have to worry about rain and mud and all that stuff would be amazing. And then honestly, a stock rig nowadays is pretty awesome. Like if you can fit like thirty two thirty three inch tires, and most some of the new stock trucks you could fit thirty threes on just having bigger tires because everybody's all these lifts and all this stuff. Well, you're putting all this stuff on so that you can put bigger tires on so that your fenders don't rub and you're suspension kind of move. But the bigger tires is what's giving you more ground clearance, and that's kind of what you're shooting for. And you can't really beat stock suspension. Like the amount of money that manufacturers put into their geometry is huge compared to aftermarket stuff. So just a stalk mid sized truck with a little bit bigger tires probably some like I have be a good rich all terrains and if you know, you're just gonna be into muddy stuff, so like much rains a little bit better for that, but I have alterrains and then yeah, that's that's basically it.
Speaker 4: And i'd have a.
Speaker 6: I got a shovel in there, I got a jack, I got all my tools. Bring tools. Make sure you have all the right tools that you need. I got toe straps and I got a winch on it. So it's got rear bumper, front bumper. The rear bumper is cool because you can pull harder on it, and if you drag something, it's not as big as you're not tearing up your stock bumper. But the front bumper holds the winch, which I can get myself out of a lot of situations. And I don't need another rig there. And yeah, that's that's basically it. It's, i mean, fairly simple, but I definitely have everything I need to get myself out.
Speaker 2: Cool. Well, it was great talking to Danny. Hopefully we'll see you here in a couple of weeks in Montana.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely, I miss you guys.
Speaker 3: All right, it's good to see you.
Speaker 2: Good to see you too. Thanks a lot, man.
Speaker 3: Thanks Danny. Hey, boys, are.
Speaker 2: We doing more truck stuff here in this next second? Yeah? Throwback Thursday, Phil So back on.
Speaker 1: A Thursday, Mom, Stephen Brody, take me back to nineteen seventy four.
Speaker 2: Throw back. I can't believe it did. I mentioned Stephen Brodie old as shit.
Speaker 7: I like, if I can play that, that's my favorite one.
Speaker 2: You're going, Phil, who broke this? Mic man? It's just it's never right Spencer.
Speaker 7: Spencer and Randall love to fidget with it when they're in the seat, so I mean it was probably one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If I had to throw anyone under the bus here, great good. I apologize.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Throw back Thursday, fellas. Uh, we're looking back today at uh some some close your ears kids, We're gonna look look back today at some fucked up situations we've been in in our hunting trucks. So set you're up first.
Speaker 4: Cool bringing it up here, seth on Seck.
Speaker 3: Take your time, phil Ah, here we go. Oh boy. This was south of the border in Mexico two three years ago. Hunted all week long, no rain, and then the day before we leave it just lets loose and pours, which it doesn't oftentimes it doesn't rain like that. Down there. We had like a crappy rental vehicle and then one of the guys we were with, Matt Cook, he drove a truck down hauling a couple side by sides and this ranch we were on had a pretty crappy road going into it, and of course it rains and we had to get up early that next morning to get back across the border to catch a flight to fly back to Montana. Well, on our way out, still dark out, as you can see, we get everything stuff and the truck gets stuck. The rental vehicle gets stuck. So Matt's truck has two side by sides. He's as stuck as he could be, and we're in a spot where there's like no way you could turn around or like, off to our left it was a steep drop off, so if he was to roll go off that he would just roll. To our right was a steep bank. They're just like and we're on a turn too, so there's like not a whole lot you could do. We couldn't get a vehicle past it to try and pull it. It was a disaster. So our first thing we did was we need to get some weight off the trailer, so we pulled the side by sides off, and in the process of doing that, Jason Phelps was with us. He hops in one and as he's driving it off the trailer, I don't know what the hell happened. But he ends up on the side.
Speaker 2: He rolls the thing so like down off the bank.
Speaker 3: No in the so he was like, yeah, he was backing it off the trailer and like I don't know if you hit the throt a little too hard, but like hit the bank on the right side that's super steep. Yeah, and just kind of went right like backed up it and just slipped it right over. So now we got two truck, two stuck vehicles and rolled over side by side and the middle of the road.
Speaker 5: That's when you want to just go to bed all the.
Speaker 3: Day, like, let's try this again tomorrow. But yeah, I think there's another photo there, Phil, Yeah, there's there's the you can see Jason in the cab of the side by side standing up. But yeah, it was just a kind of a shit show of the morning. We finally got everything, you know, we rolled that back over and then I think we might have remember we might have somehow gotten side by side around the truck and pulled it out with that. I don't remember exactly. We ended up getting out the situation and made it back Sure to America. You're here, We're here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look at the grease on those tires.
Speaker 3: Oh it was so it was like it was almost like gumbo mud really up here in Montana. Sticky, sticky, slimy mud. Oh wow, but yeah, that's my story of getting a truck stuck clip in the side by side Wow top that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no problem, No, that's that sounds really scary. Let's see. I used to own a two thousand and one Toyota Tacoma by far, my favorite truck I'll ever own, probably, But when I started guiding fly fishermen, it wasn't quite big enough. So I upgraded to a Tundra, which I'll one day go back to the Tacoma. But there's a photo of it right there, two thousand and one Tacoma. They don't make them like that anymore.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: And then I when I was when I upgraded to the Tundra, I sold that truck to my hunting outfitter, elk hunting Outfitter, with the agreement that I that was going to be my guide rig. So for a couple of years I got to guide out of the old truck, which was great. And one day, second week of rifle season here in Montana, my client and I went up onto these two mounds. I drove up onto one of these mountains. We called them the Boobs, just these two mountains that stick up out of the middle of nowhere. They're very obvious. You could see them from miles away. We called them the Boobs. I parked the truck up on one of them at like three pm sunsets at like seven pm. We're just gonna wait there and commit to that spot, hoping some elk come out of the timber, and the truck being forest green, hopefully they wouldn't see us there. I swear I put it in first gear. Naturally, the parking break was all messed up. I think there was mud stuck in the emergency brake, so that was just out of order. But I've had it in first gear, stepped out of the truck, did some glass and look over, and my client was sleeping in the passenger seat and saw three bowls come out of the timber. So I run over to the truck, and as I turn and look, the truck is just all a sudden rolling down one of the boom tubes. With my client Billy and just sitting in the passenger seat. I see him duck over to the side and he was able to reach over and hit the brake, but without the key in it, the hydraulics locked up, so I'm not sure how it shifted out a gear, but it did and it started rolling. I was able to run up, and for some reason I thought I could be Superman for a hot minute, and I tried stopping the truck. Instantly knew that wasn't gonna work. Jumped out of the way. It actually like dove and did a little roll out of the way. It was real theatrical, and I just watched the ghost roll with my client in the passenger seat down into a pile of trees. Luckily, like ten degrees to the left, it would have went over a cliff geez. Luckily it went into some smaller evergreen trees. It was kind of like it wasn't one big tree, which would have really messed everything up, including Billy. But it actually just messed up the radiator bent the whole front end in and we had to walk out that night because I couldn't get the truck out. There's a photo of it. It went into the trees. I just completely sandwiched dominoed a bunch of a small timber down. We went back the next day and I was able to actually drive it out the next day after a little chainsaw work, But yeah, that was scary. I still don't know exactly what happened. My client, who had reached over to try and hit the brake, stayed down and he bruised some ribs because he was right on the shifter near shifter was right on his stomach, and when he impacted the trees, it bruised his ribs. That's all that happened really. Obviously the truck didn't matter at that point. But my outfitter actually fixed it up, put a new grill, new radiator, everything that it needed, which was a lot, put a new front bumper on it, and we used it again for a couple more years. I think he sold it just a few years ago. Sadly I couldn't afford to buy it back. But yeah, missed that truck. It was the greatest truck I'll ever own.
Speaker 2: Cory aren't there trying to kill his hunting clients?
Speaker 5: Well, she shouldn't be sleeping on the job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you guys probably got me beat. Mine's kind of a standard getting stick overnight, getting stuck overnight story, But it was because of this buck right here, that white tail buck. I was hunting up in northern Montana a couple of years ago, and the road like there's there's like the main highway, but then all the roads up there, this is like big agg country. There's very few trees, not a whole lot of topography like kind of rolling. But you guys know the roads up there, like they're public roads, most of them, but they're like these little two track like unmaintained. They're not roads, right, Yeah, But so I was back in their ways and I killed this buck in late afternoon, and it like I had slept in the truck the night before and it it had I'd hunted the day before. It rained all day, then overnight it snowed on top of that rain, and like on the way to like walk out and hunt in the morning, I'm like this is bad, Like like I need to like kill an animal and get out of here before this stuff starts thawing out. Because it was like a few inches of heavy wet snow, then a thin layer of ice, and then a layer of mud. Yeah, like it wouldn't matter what kind of tires you had on, and I didn't have change, which was probably a mistake anyway, I did what I shouldn't have done and stayed out there all day and shot this buck. Like late afternoon, everything had started started melting. I get the buck back to the truck. It's dark, and I'm like, I'm gonna go for it. And it's like a slight downhill incline right off the bat to get out of there, and I go like fifty feet in the truck just does that slow yeah turn and I'm going sideways down the road and no, and slid like one hundred feet down the road. Now I'm like kind of cockye sideways pointing back the other way, and there's just like no getting off the road to turn around. I tried, believe me, and ended up. I just had to sleep in the truck again that night because I had to wait for stuff to freeze. So let that be a lesson to you. Sometimes it's like it was great I got that buck, but if I'd have been in a more remote or tougher location, like you know, who knows what would happened. It's just like I knew walking out that morning to go, honey, I'm like, I gotta get out of here by like mid morning before stuff starts to melt and I didn't. So it was just like what we talked about earlier, you know, knowing your situation and not getting getting stuck somewhere because you made a poor decision. But I will say this, I have a Ford F one fifty and I like that truck. You've got one seth. I learned a big lesson on that hunt about like Danny said, stock stuff is good. Well, i'll tell you what's not good about Stock f one fifties is they have what they call a skid maybe they've changed this since mine's a twenty twenty. They have what they call a skid plate under there, but it's it's like it's not metal, it's this like weird almost like fabric paper mache material, and it's like it'll keep a pebble out of there, like you know, a little bit of dirt, but it's not going to protect your important stuff up underneath or on top of that skid plate. And ripped right through that thing and poked a hole in the transmission fluid reservoir, which ended up like druk got a little ways and then the truck just shit the bed.
Speaker 3: Wow, the transmission go out or.
Speaker 2: Not completely like it I didn't lose the transmission, but there was some costs involved in getting it fixed. It wasn't just plugging the hole and calling it good. But the first thing I did was put an aftermarket metal skid plate on that sucker.
Speaker 3: Dang, yeah, I gotta check mine now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yours might already ride in fallen off. The Steve's fell right.
Speaker 3: Off might be just another thing add to the list.
Speaker 2: So now all the Ford haters gonna be like, I knew that you shouldn't have bought that truck. Let's see if we got any of that. And we got any of that in the listener feedback, Phil.
Speaker 7: We've gotten no, We've got no no Ford discourse happening right now. We do have Randy saying it this is his favorite episode so far because he loves the ship show experiences.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 7: It's from Randy from Georgetown, Texas. Thanks Randy, thankks Randy. But yeah, we can we can get get some questions in here, whether they're about trucks or Father's Day or or just comments. Let's move on to some listener feedback. Cody would like to know what the zoom is on those glasses on my g.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's it's light it's like one point five. Okay, I don't, I don't. I don't need a bunch yet.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 7: Lance asks Seth, have you ever gone walleye fishing in Canada? If so, where is the spot?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I have not gone walleye fishing in Canada. It's that's a bucket list trip. I want to do that eventually. But I feel like there's lots of spots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like where I grew up, everyone used to go out Ontario, but like Giannis was just bear hunting and what man Manitoba.
Speaker 3: They clabbered them there, they clobbered them there. I mean Lake of the Woods is always yeah, notoriously good. Yeah. I think there's lots of options up there. Love to check it out someday, Caleb. He asks, what is the best gift for a hunting dad. We've got two dads at the table. What would be a thing that you guys have received or O would love to receive from your family?
Speaker 2: Man, my wife hates buying me. It's like a standard thing, like because I just buy the ship I want for myself, right, So it's always like, well what do you want? I'm like, I don't need anything, and then I what I need? I just go buy so man, it's a tough one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's like.
Speaker 2: There's all kinds of different hunting dads. There might be like a duck hunting dad and an ell hunting dad. That's a tough question to answer. Ask them what they want and then say I'm getting this for you. Don't buy it for yourself. That'd be my advice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good call. Or don't buy them anything. Just do something that's like real thoughtful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know exactly. I'd rather like hang out with my kids and my wife camping for a weekend. Then oh, totally get some piece of gear.
Speaker 3: Just say like, we're going camping this weekend, dad, I'm gonna get all the ship ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The greatest gift I ever got, though, was from my wife for Father's Day. We were able to drop the kid off with the grandparents, which was fun for Father's Day of all days. But we went fishing on the Missouri with a guide.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: It was really fun. Guided fishing trip. Wherever you are. I'm sure that that's an option.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean if you can, if you can afford it, Like, yeah, find out what their bucket list trip is and get that for him.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 7: Uh favorite trolling lure and what are you targeting with it? It's from Matthias. I think he corrected me. I said Mattias last time because I know a French guy named Mattias, but it is Matthias.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Man, you're down on trolling.
Speaker 5: But what's your favorite?
Speaker 3: I don't control much.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: When I do, it's like crank baits and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we uh, we'll pull crank baits like there's a there's an old lake erie. I think it's a lake erie lure called the Wally Diver. Oh yeah, yeah, that's a good wall I want, I mean anything elait them we pull? Uh what are those Berkeley flick or Minnow that's a good one that we do well.
Speaker 3: Like that one a bunch.
Speaker 2: Ye, So we do a little. We will definitely like take a break and do some trolling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can do some if you want to switch it up. Some bottom bouncers with like spinner rigs and stuff.
Speaker 2: You know what I've always wanted to do. You know when them big schools of Coho get circling outside the creek, so oh yeah, I always wanted to try trolling through those. Yeah, see what happens. I bet you.
Speaker 3: I'm all about trying new things up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why not?
Speaker 3: Would be cool?
Speaker 4: Uh, let's see.
Speaker 7: Jesse says he just got a two thousand and six Tacoma. It has no bells or whistles. What would be a couple of the first upgrades of attachments you'd put on for hunting?
Speaker 2: Chains, tires, like, depending on what it's got on there for tires for sure, Yeah, gets you some good.
Speaker 3: Good tires. I'm a fan of toppers too, so am I I like having a topper, keep my stuff dry. I can sleep in there, you can lock it up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I get you a topper.
Speaker 4: Right on.
Speaker 7: And I thought this was a fun, fun comment. We're not doing throwback Thursday anymore. But at Cody J when we were talking to Danny said that he drives and is a medic for tornado hunters and that it's a blast. And he said he also knew one of the guys that that Danny was hanging out with.
Speaker 4: Oh nice, and he was doing that. So anyway, small small world.
Speaker 3: Man. In a different life, I'd be a freaking storm chick. Yeah, have at it, man, it's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not interested man? Like Yeah, I think when I was in like eighth grade, I think it was eighth grade, we used to get tornado I grew up northwestern Pennsylvania, so it's not like the most tornado e spot in the nation, but we would get tornado warnings. And in eighth grade, the next town over from us just got walloped by by a tornado and like thirty people died. So like, geez, I don't have any I don't need that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, as a Montana kid, tornadoes freaked me out.
Speaker 3: I'm going the other way. Yeah, I think they're cool, but I've never really had a bad experience with one.
Speaker 5: So yeah, chase them up, see what happens.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 7: We can call it right there, but I would doing this again at the end of the show. So please submit more questions and we will feel them in a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, So Father's Day and what is it? Three days something like that?
Speaker 3: Ye, Sundays days under so U.
Speaker 2: In honor of that, we're each gonna share a picture and a story about hunting. You guys didn't do any fishing, just hunting, right.
Speaker 3: I did fishing, You did fishing.
Speaker 2: So hunting and fishing with our dads, we're just gonna We're just gonna honor our our dads for for getting us into hunting and fishing. So you up first, seth, Sure, I'll go.
Speaker 3: I got a bunch of photos of me and my old man up at the cabin in Alaska.
Speaker 2: That was just last was that last year.
Speaker 3: He's been coming up the last three years now, so I have a bunch of photos. But this is like, it's cool bringing my old man up to the cabin because like this is the first thing, like one of the first things in my life where instead of him teaching me something, I'm teaching him something new, which is pretty cool. And he's just like completely fell in love with like doing all this stuff up there, all the fishing and whatnot. So yeah, he comes up every summer now and I put him to work. He's he's cheap labor. He does a lot of firewood splitting and he could swing a hammer. But here's some salmon that we caught up there. But yeah, he comes up every summer now and and helps out with the cabin, and yeah, it's just like he's you know, he grew up on the East Coast and that whole world is like so new to him and he's he's just getting to like see him new just getting to watch him see new things that he's never seen before, and like catch fish that he's never caught before. And it's just super cool and one one funny thing. And bro, do you know how it is up there, Like when people first start fishing up there, it's like they just kind of don't remember how to fish almost. So here's him fighting a small halibit which he thinks is a giant halibit, which is common. And yeah, just just like trying to teach like the hook sets or if you're running like circle hooks, not to set the hook. Yeah, it's just been a blast the last you know, three years, getting to chill my old man that part of the country and that type of fishing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I hung out with him a bit up there, and he seems really love it.
Speaker 3: Oh, he loves it. It's all he talks about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Corey, what are you doing down there?
Speaker 5: Making sure our next guest is ready to roll? It looks like he just showed up, so.
Speaker 2: We're doing some producing work at the same time he's hosting.
Speaker 4: Oh dude, Yeah, he can do it all.
Speaker 5: Got a man of many hands, all right, Corey, Oh my turn, you're up. Let's see, man. I got a lot of great stories hunting and fishing with my dad growing up. He moved up to Montana back in the seventies to get away from the hustle and bustle of Nevada, bought some horses and started hunting in the In the Bob Marshall, that's kind of what what helped drive my desire to want to do the same thing, was able to guide back in there kind of chase his dreams a little bit, which was super cool. But I owe a lot to them for getting me into outdoor recreation for sure. But this particular story was in I believe in two thousand and five. I was a junior in high school. My dad and I were in northwest Montana archery l hunting. I think it was September twenty first. We had a bit of a snowstorm the day before and we hunted together in the morning. Didn't hear any bugles, which I feel like is pretty typical after a snowstorm like that, and we decided to split up and spread out a couple hundred yards. It just worked this basin that we saw some tracks in the day before and I don't know what time. It was probably ten to eleven in the morning, not early, but it wasn't later in the day. And two bulls come up, just naturally, up right in front of me. They never saw me. I was just timber sneaking through the woods, and I was able to arrow one of the two bulls. Young Raghorn dropped him beautiful shot. Got really lucky, I would say, being that that young and not much of a hunter yet, and I was pumped. We had two way radios, so I radioed my dad as soon as I went up and touched the thing and knew that it was dead and had a lot of work to do, and radioed my dad. Told him I got my first bowl with my bow, and he's like, no way, I just shot a bowl too. So we killed two bulls. It might have been within the same moment. We have no idea, obviously, because we weren't with each other and didn't have on X or anything at the time. So yeah, we killed two bowls, not luckily not too far from the truck.
Speaker 2: One's enough work you get two down at the same time.
Speaker 5: It was probably four miles from the truck. Had to go up the hill and down that same trip actually leap frog and quarters had a black bear grab one of my hind quarters and tried dragging it off. Almost killed a bear that day too, but knew how much work we still had to be up. But that was pretty epic, epic memory. He had killed an elk before with his bow, but that was my first archery bowl And yeah, pretty special moment to have that happen.
Speaker 3: That was really cool for sure.
Speaker 2: And he's you said he's coming out here, uh soon.
Speaker 5: Well, he lives in Kallispell up northwest Mont and we're going to meet up this weekend and fish the Missouri together.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, what you're getting that? All right? I guess it's my turn. My old man there he is, uh like my dad, Like, he's definitely like the reason why I'm sitting in his seat right now is the reason why I became a fishing guide. Like it was just like hunting and fishing with him as a kid, Like learned a lot from him, loved being out in the woods with him, and and then like kind of got away from doing that kind of stuff together for for a long time. And and then after I moved out to Colorado, and got into hunting. I kind of talked him in to start coming out to do some mule deer hunts and and and it was super cool and he got bucks pretty much every year he came out. I think he was seventy one in this picture, so he probably started coming out like his mid sixties and shot some bucks. Nothing huge, but you know, some decent bucks. This was I think in twenty eleven, and he drew a third season rifle tag in Colorado. Since I knew he had drawn that tag, I wasn't gonna hunt that season for a buck. I was just like focused on getting him a big one, because, like I said, he's seventy one, and he got around pretty good. But you know he's seventy one, so you just don't know how much more time he's got to do that kind of hunting. So I went into this area like a week before the season started, and like right off the bat, I I glass up a bull a bull ELK. I'm like, shit, man, like we're supposed to be deer hunting next week, but I'm gonna pick up an over the counter bull tag too, and we go in there we go in opening morning, we were glassing around there's deer around, small bucks, nothing to shoot at. And I look up the ridge and there's three bulls working down the ridge and I was like, peace out, Dad, I'm going after these bulls and run up there and got in tight and shot shot a bull. So the next like day and a half was dealing with that bull, you know, and you know, my dad was kind of doing some hunting on the side, but it was warm and nothing. Nothing happened. Then I'm like day it would have been like day four, maybe in the evening we found this buck and just could not get it done. That evening was he was too far away. There's a lot of doze around. Who's gonna get dark. So we went right back in there the next morning and found him right away and made a move on him, and we ended up like well, like almost screwed it up. Like we ended up real tight, like seventy yards. So my dad's just like offhand, shot real quick and spined him. I was like, you gotta that deer again, but he's like on the ground, you know, and you can't really get out his vitals. I've never seen a seventy one year old man run like seventy yards that fast like in my life, and he ran up to it finished it off, and I was like, man, like, you don't know, like you don't know what you just shot, like you have no it shot some older bucks, but nothing like that. It was like, this thing is like I think this thing's over two hundred.
Speaker 3: And he still was.
Speaker 2: Like not convinced. And we we pack it out and we get home and I take like a one seventy buck that I had shot earlier in the year and set those antlers inside those antlers. I'm like, like you get it now, like how big this thing is? And it ended up scoring like I can't remember what was like two oh six or two oh.
Speaker 3: Nine or something like that.
Speaker 2: You can't really this picture's not great. It's from back in the day when like digital cameras weren't that great. But he's got a couple stickers coming off his right side and there's one off the back of his left side that you can't see. Just a really cool old buck and uh yeah, man, like every time I go back to Pennsylvania to stare at that thing, it's just an awesome deer.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's cool.
Speaker 2: So it was kind of like you saith where it felt like I was like doing what he had done for me. Yeah, you know later in life. So yeah, he's uh, he still does a little hunting at home, but not as much as he used to. He's getting up there.
Speaker 3: That's cool. That's cool. Nice buck, Yeah, big buck, big buck.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 5: I'm ready for the fall.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Okay, speaking of Father's Day, we got to remind you that our our Meat Eater and First Light Father's Day sales are going on right now. So, like we talked about gifts earlier, forget the ties, socks, golf clubs, like, get on the med Eater website, the First Light website and get your get the dads in your life something they'll like. And if you don't know what to get him, then get him a gift card and they'll get what they want. And that's going on now through all the way through the weekend, right I believe. So yeah, yeah, So check it out on on the Mediator website or the First Light website. There's some some good deals going on right now.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: All right, Now it's time to uh to do the interview where we're trying to get done a couple of weeks ago. We're gonna interview Josh Miller. He's a fishing guide from western uh, Western Washington, and I think he guts like salmon and steelhead and the rivers, and also like coastal fisheries too, out in the ocean.
Speaker 5: That's what I understand. Yeah, let's find out.
Speaker 2: But he's got some of you may have seen him on on Instagram. He's got a co captain, which is Rider Rider the Turkey. So, joh, we got Josh on the line. Here we are there he is, Hey, Josh, Hey, Josh, gentlemen, good as good as you though.
Speaker 3: Where are you at.
Speaker 1: I'm out in the straight of Wanda Fuca fishing for halibate right now?
Speaker 5: Oh God?
Speaker 3: Nice?
Speaker 5: Nice?
Speaker 2: Nice?
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: First of all, tell us about your uh, your early bird guidance service, Like what do you fish for? Where do you guys fish, what time of year? All that stuff goes a quick rundown.
Speaker 1: So right now I'm doing raft trips. We do coastal tributaries and Columbia River tributaries, a lot of steelhead fishing, a lot of kingfishing and coho fishing. I do spend the summers in Alaska fishing sake on the Kenai. So if you're interested in that, I can get you out in Keenai, Alaska for sake. And then the winter time after and anytime after New Year's is an awesome steelhead season. But yeah, year round we're catching big chrome fish.
Speaker 2: Nice, nice, Well, we gotta we gotta ask like you're you're pretty well known on the instagram him for your uh, your unusual first mate that happens to be a turkey. So like, how did the whole thing with with bringing along the turkey and the boat get started?
Speaker 1: Well, I got a bunch of them, these heritage birds to raise, and a weasel got into the coup, and long story short, there was only one left and it was literally ride or die for the little guy. I was fishing the next day, so he had no choice. He had to go out on the boat as a little baby. And here we are seven years later. He's got the program pretty well figured out, fit all sorts of fishing trips. I've had him with me on a mule deer hunt and we harvested him.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Elk hunting, I shot a cow elk with him following me through the woods.
Speaker 2: Dude, you gotta watch out. Someone might take a crack at that turkey while you're hunting.
Speaker 1: Right, I don't know. He's the way I look at it. He's lift such a good life. I don't think you can get any better.
Speaker 2: For a turkey.
Speaker 1: So then so be it.
Speaker 2: There we go, There we go. So like people people like to bring their dogs on boats, like I do it. Some some dogs are like really annoying when you're fishing in a boat, and some are super chill. Where does where does rider fall on that on that scale? And and like does he react to fish being caught?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when he hears drag pulling out of a real he starts ripping gobbles, going on and everything. And he's fine. He's got He's got a lot of characters play having a dog and a cat at the time. He's got a little bit of attitude, But most of the time.
Speaker 2: That is excellent, a ton of fun.
Speaker 1: Even when I'm pulling out of the driveway with the boat, He'll chase the tr down just because I'm towing the boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Uh. Do you got any clients that specifically requests for that turkey to be in the boat with him all the Yeah?
Speaker 1: I bet I'd just say, as long as you tip the bird, I'll bring him nice.
Speaker 2: Nice you guys getting them today? Got any action?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, he couldn't join today because you had some pretty rough seas out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got some rough water and we got four people in the boat, so we decided to leave him at home today. We got out here about an hour and a half ago, and we've caught three dog fish so little sharks. No hell of it yet.
Speaker 2: Well, keep at it now, and I don't I don't want to upset you with this next question. I hope, I hope Ryder has a bunch more years of fishing ahead of him. But since, uh, since we're here at meet it or we we all love eating wild turkeys. So is there any chance that bird is going to end up on the table at Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: Her?
Speaker 2: Are you going to give him a proper burial at sea once his time is up?
Speaker 1: Oh? I think he deserves a proper burial. I don't know about you know, if he's seven years.
Speaker 2: Old, nice, nice, Well, hopefully got you got several more years with him in the boat with you.
Speaker 1: It's always a fun time around Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet, I bet I had.
Speaker 1: Him sit down at the table with us and gave him a plate of green bees.
Speaker 2: Is he house trained or boat trained?
Speaker 1: When he was younger, I used to have him where he had pecked the door or the window to turn around and tell me to let him out. But I don't get to spend a ton of time with him anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but most.
Speaker 1: Part, yeah, he's pretty well trained. Like he'll wait a two hour car ride to the river and then when I let him out, he'll do his business.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Nice, But he's a pretty smart bird.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Cool, Well, Josh, thanks for talking to us today. I hope you guys find some halbit out there, and I hope you can continue to have fun with your turkey fishing companion.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: All the best to rider.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm happy to be on the show guys.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks a lot man.
Speaker 1: All right, you guys take care.
Speaker 3: You too, Thanks Josh. That is awesome.
Speaker 4: That was cool.
Speaker 3: Phil.
Speaker 2: We got time for some more feedback.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we don't have a whole lot of feedback right now. But Robert asks Seth, if you remember, Seth, what kind of rifle did you use on the Texas deer hunt in rough cuts?
Speaker 4: Do you remember a hunt?
Speaker 3: That rifle was.
Speaker 2: So kind?
Speaker 3: Of funny backstory. I wasn't actually supposed to be hunting on that chuot. One thing led to another and I ended up being on camera, So I actually didn't bring a rifle down there. I just went and grabbed it was an old Remington threeh eight. I don't even know exactly what it was, but I just grabbed it out of the gun safe at the ranch and when shot to make sure it was shooting good. And that's what I took out. It was like an old woodstock thumb hole, like old schoolly wood gun, which was kind of cool because I don't usually hunt with stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you guys weren't taking particularly long shot.
Speaker 3: It was all close stuff. So yeah, I remember it was a Remington, but I don't remember exactly what it was.
Speaker 7: Oscar asks, what is the smallest area of private land that you'd hunt turkeys? He says he has ten acres in Michigan.
Speaker 2: Sure, why not?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Ten You can get her down on ten acres for sure.
Speaker 2: Especially if they're roosted nearby, like on your land or nearby. Yeah, call him in there, Yeah, sure, why not?
Speaker 7: Remington asks how old were you when you started hunting without your.
Speaker 2: Dad, man I broke the law.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same.
Speaker 2: I think it was fourteen in Pennsylvania. You had to be think, so you hunt alone and and the minimum hunting age back then was twelve, and I was hunting alone when I was twelve a lot same.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I think, man, I probably would have been like seventeen by the time I finally went out with a buddy. My dad was my hunting buddy growing up. Yeah, it's pretty seventeen.
Speaker 3: Probably.
Speaker 2: It's weird to me to think about it now that I have my own kids, like a thirteen year old and a ten year old, and they can hunt at ten in Montana. But like, like I don't know about you, Stef, but like I I would just go walk on the nate like all the neighboring farms all day. Let's just be gone all day. And for me to think about letting my thirteen year old or my you know, when my ten year old is twelve do it at that age, it's like kind of weird. But I feel like that's a problem with me, not a problem with them being able to go do it if you like give them the confidence to go do it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, John asks Brody, don't you think there should be a time limit on trivia questions.
Speaker 2: Yes, it depends if I'm having trouble with the question or.
Speaker 7: Someone to say, if you if whoever's sure of an answer, they want a time limit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but honestly, like often the conversations, the banter that happens while we're extending the time on those, it's it's pretty fun. I mean it could get taken too far, obviously, like if because the more talk that goes on, the more the better the chance that something is given away and someone comes up with an answer. You hope they will.
Speaker 7: The time limit would would ruin the energy of the show because if it were too long and it was an easy question, then we're just sitting there. I guess if people if if we all agreed we wanted to be done, we could move on. But but yeah, like like Brody said, just the flexibility.
Speaker 2: I think maybe we could screw around with like a special edition of Meat Eater where it's like a speed round or maybe likes yeah, like it's like you get thirty seconds and that's that. Like, maybe we could.
Speaker 7: Screw around with randall is all caps in the chat saying yes on the time limit, there's too many.
Speaker 2: Spence Randall just happened to lose a couple of times and now he's all been out of shape.
Speaker 7: He's no foul play. Randall says, let's see Oscar. We've got to you know, if we already did Oscar?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 7: Did I did I start this? There was a comment boys two Pa boys about tactics for hunting deep woods in Pennsylvania for a deer. It was a pretty general question.
Speaker 2: I would know more about that than like in the big Woods.
Speaker 3: It's all about here we go.
Speaker 4: It's from Ethan.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a lot. You gotta work the land features in that big stuff because it's just you know, woods forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like up where where I hunted Northwest Pa. Like you're hunting small, like hundred acre chunks of private and it's not like that big woods is like got some topography.
Speaker 3: Man like yeah, like saddles and pin like if you can find pinch points bottom stuff like that, and then find different cover types white oak flats and stuff like that where they're feeding.
Speaker 2: I do think you like, knowing what I know now about Western hunting, I think there's some stuff you could apply to those big chunks of like mountainous public land in Pennsylvania, and a hunt like a Western hunter and like get in there a long ways and be willing to pack about a buck out on your back. Like there's something to be said for like hunting where other people aren't in Pennsylvania because a lot of it gets pretty crowded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think topo map's your best friend and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 7: Carrie asks, would you hunt a burn from last fall for mule deer or hunt away from the burn?
Speaker 2: I think it depends on the burn.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I've hunted burns where it burned in the summer and I was haunting in October. Yeah, there was plenty of deer and elk in it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you better check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean some burn, like it's a real hot one where everything just gets just like the top soil gets burnt. Probably pretty tough. But if it's a quick one that and you get a bunch of new growth, definitely.
Speaker 3: I was working on a fire back in my firefighting days. One time we're cutting a line in to try to hold hold this one fire from spreading, and out of nowhere, a whole herd of elk come out of the non burn stuff and go right up into the fire. I was like, that's not gonna work out great for him. No, we never saw him again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they got to deal with that stuff every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's it cool.
Speaker 4: It's a good round of questions. Thanks everybody, Go and wrap it up there.
Speaker 2: Sure, all right, folks, that's that's the end of today's show. Happy Father's Day to everyone. Have a great weekend, get outside and do something fun.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot, Thanks guys.
Speaker 2: Tuning in next week.