Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: President Biden he announced the Student Loan Relief or student loan forgiveness, and a lot of people still aren't really sure about what it really means because they know the federal the Supreme Court rejected a larger plan last week, but they were still able to actually get something through. And people want to know, am I eligible? What does this mean for me personally? Is this going to affect me? So what's your thoughts and what happened with this student loan relief situation.
Speaker 4: So, based on the most recent announcement, if you were on an income based repayment plan and you've been paying your student loans off for the last twenty years or twenty five years, depending upon the plan, your student loans are about to be forgiven in the next month, out right done forgiven. That's going to impact eight hundred and four or eight hundred and three thousand Americans across the country. We're still gathering the numbers in terms of how many impacts in our district. We are still also seeking clarity to find out if you were making payments for twenty years but not part of an income based repayment plan, are you going to be eligible? I believe the short answer is yes to that, but I still need to get clarity on that. So that's what that recent announcement meant, which is obviously a huge, huge deal based on the Supreme Court shooting down the president's more ambitious plan which would have had a tremendous impact on many more borrowers. And the Supreme Court decision there was bs and we'll get into that hopefully because I want to talk a little bit about that as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, let's go there, right, because the original plan was with thirty seven million people to be impacted by student no forgiveness. I was sitting here waiting. We know that the payment are going to start. Payments are going to start being reactive in the next couple of months, and so people are looking at that from an economical standpoint like that, we haven't paid in three years now. This is another thing that we have to add to our payments on our monthly basis. So what happened there? Thirty seven million, eight hundred thousand people are going to be impacted by the recent ruin, but there's that big gap of almost thirty six million.
Speaker 2: People were looking.
Speaker 5: At it like what happened? We had an opportunity to help our economy by relieving some debt and having people have disposal income that they could potentially invest in real estate and other things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first of all, I want to say we should give President Biden credit for continuing the pause over these last few years. I know we go after Biden for a lot of issues, as we should, but definitely given credit because this pause it was started under the Trump administration, but Biden continued it for an additional couple of years, so that put more money in people's every month for the last couple of years. Let's give him credit for that. So this case, first of all, there's something called the Heroes Act that Congress passed in two thousand and three, which in response to a national emergency, gives the Secretary of Education latitude and the power to waive or forgive a student loans or provide some sort of redress so that we are not harming borrowers during a national emergency. This was initially something like this was initially done during the Gulf War where people who were off to war and the nation was in the middle of a war. You know, we didn't want to you know, hurt borrows at that time, so Congress passed legislation to give the Secretary of Education opportunity to waive payments or reduce payments during that time. It was repeated after nine to eleven. We all remember what was going on during nine to eleven. After that that led to the war in Afghanistan and the Iraq War. There was a reprieve that occurred during that time. But in two thousand and three, Congress said, you know what, we need a piece of legislation that gives the Secretary the power to respond to any national emergency. So Congress passed the Heroes Act. So under the jurisdiction of the Heroes Act, the Secretary of Education has the power and the President has the power to waive or cancel student debt. The Supreme Court argued against this based on an argument that came from a party that isn't even harmed by the cancellation of the debt.
Speaker 5: And this episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, But understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member fdic.
Speaker 4: Erners.
Speaker 5: What's Up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like The checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. You're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com, backslash, go backslash, eyl to learn more that square dot com backslash, go, backslash eyl, don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christinem, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens.
Speaker 2: Have been arrested.
Speaker 1: If you are here illegally, you're next. You will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will.
Speaker 2: Be protected sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 4: That's a key point here. In order for you to argue a case in front of the Supreme Court, you have to be able to express harm at a party. You have to be a party that was harmed by something in order to argue the case. The state of Michigan, Missouri, excuse me, argued on behalf of a third party in this case, expressing harm based on the president of forgivenness debt, which is complete nonsense. The third party that they argued for, Mohela is the name of the company, was not even involved in a lawsuit at all, and the Supreme Court shouldn't have heard the case. They still heard the case anyway, heard the case, heard the arguments, decided in favor of mohela third party who wasn't even involved in the case, and shot down the president's cancelation of ten thousand for individuals making up to one hundred and fifty thousand and twenty thousand for lower income people. So a huge blow. But the President is pursuing another avenue called the Higher Education Act, which he's saying is going to take longer, but is another possibility. Well, I think he should do. Let me just close on this and sorry for the long answer. I think he should just cancel the teny twenty thousand outright and force the Supreme Court to figure out a way to force people to pay back to the program after the president cancels it. But this president is an institutionalist, so he's not used to doing things that way. The state of emergency, I think provides him the opportunity to do that.
Speaker 6: For the constituents that you're representing. For the audience here, since there has been some talk about student loans being an asset that has traded kind of like mortgage backed securities in two thousand and seven, in two thousand and eight, will we ever see twenty million, thirty million loans.
Speaker 2: Just eradicate it?
Speaker 6: Or is it will to be like a tiered system of maybe like a maximum of a million to two million, Because when I talk to people, the sentiment is, well, they're just trying to do this to get votes and it's never going to pass. Is there any perfect utopian situation where twenty million, thirty million people may get relief from having these loans off their back.
Speaker 4: Yes, there is. But our democracy is what we make it. I need to emphasize that point. The previous president, Donald Trump chose three Supreme Court justices because he had the ability to do that because he was elected. Now, the Supreme Court is ultra conservative, so you are going to see the Supreme Court siding less with policies that we all care about, like canceling student debt, like Affirmative Act, like voting rights. So I cannot emphasize enough how important elections are because the president decides who goes into the Supreme Court. Now, taking a step back, it's not just about the Supreme Court. It's about who we elected, who we elected to Congress, and who we elected to the Senate. Because if you have the wrong people in no seats, which we currently have right now, then we are not going to write or pass any legislation that is going to do what you're talking about. Everyone knows the student loan program is corrupt, it's it's predatory, and it has been designed in a way that harms borrowers more than it helps them. Because listen, many of us know we were raised to go to college. Right you're going to college, going go to college. Many of us come from families where we don't know what it takes to go to college. All of a sudden, you get to college, you can't afford it. They dangle this loan in front of you. You, thank god, I'll take out the loan. I'm gonna get a job anyway with this degree, so I'm gonna be good. I'll pay it back. You take out the loan, you don't really understand an interest rates, you don't get the job that you expected, you're unemployed or you're underemployed. And then when you try to call these these these third party companies that work with the Department of Education for redress lower payments, income based repayments, they they push people to forbearans without even like giving them the background of what other options there were for them, and as a result, collected all this additional money. And that's why the president's recent decision is so important because it responds to that redress eight hundred and three thousand borrows you've been paying for twenty years completely forgiven. That's I think the numbers thirty nine billion in total. Not what we wanted, but a good start.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you were here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.