Speaker 1: Kabbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto cutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The clearing House of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 3: In the air ey way, The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Mahler and Danny.
Speaker 1: G Radio, as we hang out with you.
Speaker 3: On this twentieth day of December, Happy Friday. I am aware that I was not on my post last night doing the overnight show, a rare and appropriate, rare and appropriate day off. But we are back at it, full weekend of podcast, full weekend of podcast, and I'm only gonna be off a couple of days next week, so I'll be here most of the upcoming week on the radio. So Thursday's pretty tough day, and so I figured I had plenty of time off in my box. If you will, you know the work they have, how many days off you have and all that stuff. I don't normally take many days off, but Thursdays are very difficult because I do the overnight show. Then I'm up during the day filming Benny Versus the Penny, and then I have to go back and do the overnight show and somewhere in there I usually get about two and a half to three hours of sleep.
Speaker 1: So I figured it's the end of the year.
Speaker 3: They want me to use some of the time. The company always wants me to use more time than I use. They kind of get upset with me that I don't take more time off. So I said, what DF. So I was not here last night, but I did watch the Charger game. I want the record to show I was I didn't go to the Charger game. I didn't see our friend Eddie. I was not at the Charger game last night because of the logistics of getting from Universal Studios in Hollywood Inglewood not not an easy path at the time that game kicked off.
Speaker 1: But oh what a game it was.
Speaker 3: The Chargers getting absolutely roasted at halftime, looking like they were dead in the water, down twenty one to thirteen and a half time in that game last night against the Broncos, the upstart Broncos, and after watching the way the Chargers played last week against Tampa Bay, and then seeing the performance here.
Speaker 1: I was like, WHOA, what's going on?
Speaker 3: But they obviously played much better than the second half, and we saw we saw the wacky play that I didn't even know was a thing because it's never happened since I was a child. The Chargers. The comeback included Cameron Dicker, the kicker, making the first successful fair catch kick in the NFL in forty eight years. That's two generations, and he hit it from fifty seven yards the final play the first half, so that made it twenty one to thirteen. The Chargers saw the game, you know, they win, So they're nine and six, justin Herbert, a couple of touchdown passes, a couple of rushing touchdowns for the Gus Bus, and the Chargers now have a ninety seven percent probability of making the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So they're in good shape.
Speaker 3: And they can wrap it up without doing anything on Sunday because they've already played. If the Colts lose to the Titans in Miami, also goes down to the forty nine Ers and the Chargers are in the post season, so they've they've got that in the back. As far as the dope Holidays. Today is dot your Eyes Day. You probably don't know what that is. I didn't know what that was. I had no idea. But we are told that the dot your eyes Day every December twentieth.
Speaker 1: And what is this?
Speaker 3: You say, Well, it's pretty simple, you know, dot your eyes, cross your t's and all that stuff. But this is the day when you're supposed to supposed to finish things, right, He's supposed to finish things that need to be finished. And there's no real history. I think this is just one of those fugazy holidays and all that stuff. But the entire phrase dot your eyes and all that stuff, most of the history that goes back to I think eighteen forty nine. There was an article by this guy named William in Scribner's magazine that first carried the expression. The earliest known evidence of that saying was apparently used widely in the mid eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 1: The phrase, of.
Speaker 3: Course, is used today to kind of goof on kids and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Dot your eyes and all that. But anyway, said dope Dope Holiday.
Speaker 3: On today's podcast, the Fifth hourt we will not only have an amazing final roast, we'll also say What's Up Doc, A little foody fun and the Idiom of the Week.
Speaker 1: The Idiom of the Week.
Speaker 3: But I wanted to begin with this another somber note here, But I want to be as.
Speaker 1: Positive as I can because I really like this guy.
Speaker 3: And I've done a lot of eulogies this year on this podcast. We've lost a lot of good people that have been a part of our family, a part of our radio family.
Speaker 1: And we lost another one.
Speaker 3: If you heard the radio show during the week a big part of this show, we lost Matt the Warrior and well, he used to be Matt the Warrior Raider as fan and over the years he just he got rid of the a's he's the Warrior Raider fan and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: He loved the Raiders.
Speaker 3: And Matt died last I guess last.
Speaker 1: Week or two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: We found out about it over the weekend. Last weekend.
Speaker 3: We shared with you on on Sunday night into Monday. And if you've listened to the show at all over the last ten to fifteen years, you know his name. You might not know what he sounds like. He's only called in Mat, only called in a few times, but he was a key part of this show, and my condolences to his wife, Jennifer has got a teenage daughter, she's fourteen. My condolences to the whole family. I just want to share some stories. I talked about some of these things on the radio show on Sunday Night, but if you didn't have a chance to hear that over the years, as you know, we use social media quite a bit. It is a tool during the show on x real time feedback and we go back and forth. You'll bust my balls, I'll bust your balls. That's how the show's worked. I mean usually I open up with the monologue and then the next part of the show will eventually take calls, but the first part of it is all just reaction from you listening, hiding behind your smartphone and giving me commentary. And over the years, Matt, who I never had the chance to meet, I wanted to meet him.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I tried to get him to go to the meet and greet we did in Vegas, and he was very stubborn.
Speaker 1: Matt.
Speaker 3: He's like, I want to go to the I'm gonna wait till you come to the Bay Area. We were worthy of a Malor meet and greet. In the Bay Area, so he didn't go to Vegas, he didn't come down to LA And a number of you guys that live in northern California have made the trek to other locations for the Malor meet and greet. So I never got a chance to meet Matt but every night. And he's been sick recently, he had some issues over the last couple of months, but prior to that, pretty much four or five nights a week, I knew that I would do a monologue and I would get real time feedback.
Speaker 1: For Matt.
Speaker 3: And he did not suck up. He was not a toll liquor, was not would be critic goal. He would also point out things that might not have been completely accurate in the Malard monologue and was one of my great fact checkers. And I really enjoyed. I really enjoyed his feedback. I looked forward to it, and as I told his wife Jennifer that he had been such a beloved part of our show, you know, I actually want to thank a couple of other people, Robbie the Mariner, fan og Art puffin the community on the radio show. We're a small community, but you guys, the super p Ones you reached out to me when you found out the news that Matt had passed away. Robbie was able to give me the phone number, and I felt a little odd texting Matt's wife.
Speaker 1: You know, how do you do this?
Speaker 3: You know, it's a very tough situation, obviously much tougher for her, and you know, I'm just I'm just a guy on the radio, you know, That's all I and I wanted to be sympathetic, but I also wanted to give the proper tribute to Matt.
Speaker 1: And I needed some more.
Speaker 3: Information because I know a little bit about him from the radio show, but he didn't tell me everything. I knew he loved AMPM he used to talk about ANPA. I knew he loved Costco. I loved Costco too, and so I reached out to Matt's wife over the weekend. And for those that don't know the backstorm, I don't get all of it. But Matt had had a medical emergency I think about a month before, but I'm not sure on the timeline. I'm not sure exactly on the timeline, but he stopped interacting with the show. We were concerned about him. We did a Hey, what's going on? He had almost died a couple of weeks prior, and he came back. He had cardiac arrest and all kinds of problems and whatnot, and based on like a COVID thing, but it was something else mixed in, and I don't know about everything involved in it, but he almost died, and then he came back and he messaged me and some of the fans of the show, and I'd give them a little message on on X. In fact, I was actually going to do a big to do I can tell the story now. I was going to this whole big to do for Matt Welcome, I'm back. And I was actually told not to do that by some of the guys that are friends with Matt on the show. They said Matt didn't really want that. He didn't want all the attention. So he's probably annoyed on the other side that I'm doing this, but you know, deal with it. So so anyway, I reached out to Matt's wife to get some more information, and Matt, as I said, four or five nights a week, would give me feedback. He sent jokes in occasionally for the lame jokes that we did. I did that a few times over the years. And the thing that Matt was a maestro at was the insta trivia and the who am I?
Speaker 1: Game?
Speaker 3: And this mfor okay, this Matt all right, Matt the war ear raider fan, Matt was a master of trivia. And I told his wife, you know, we were talking about him a little bit, we're texting back and forth, and she explained to me that he had the memory like an elephant, right, and she these are her words, and they were like, he should be a lawyer. You know, he should have been a lawyer because he could have war anyone down in an argument, which is perfectly accurate.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And as I told Jennifer, Matt's wife that he had become a big character on this show over the years, and as a fact checker, as I said, and Matt was forty nine, which is which is my age.
Speaker 1: We're the same age. Matt to work at night.
Speaker 3: He drove for Uber full time, and that that allowed him to keep an eye on his daughter when she was younger and kind of take care of her and all that stuff, pick her up from school and help pay for daycare and all that. So his wife had a normal eight to five or nine to five whatever job, and then he would work from five or so in the evening in northern California until.
Speaker 1: Midnight or one in the morning, and so he would listen to.
Speaker 3: Our show at that particular time. He's a huge, huge sports guy, obviously, you know, listening to sports radio.
Speaker 1: But he loved the.
Speaker 3: Raiders, the A's, the Warriors, and even the San Jose Sharks. You didn't talk much about the Sharks on the show. And while he was in active P one, Matt, the Raiders left Oakland, the Warriors left Oakland to go across the Bay, and the Athletics announced they're leaving to go to Sacramento, and then eventually they're moving.
Speaker 1: To Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: And Matt would go to quite a few baseball games and hockey games with his wife and whatnot. And he loved to travel, loved to travel, wanted to cross his many states off his list as he could. He got up to twenty one of the fifty one states we are told, So that's a good run. I mean, he lived in California and the states are far apart, so you get to twenty one, that's a solid, solid run. I'm also told that Matt loved Seinfeld. He could recite old lines from Seinfeld, and he and his old man, his dad loved Seinfeld, which is one of the iconic shows of all time, right our period of time, the same age as Matt, and that was a massively important show for sure, for sure. And also Matt loved planes, trains, and automobiles, and he was a big fan of that and actually was watching it. Jennifer told me he watched it a couple days before he had to go back to the emergency room, and he watched it every Thanksgiving. That was the tradition for moving for Matt, moving.
Speaker 1: Around there around the bay. He always had the planes, trains, and automobiles.
Speaker 3: Now, I mentioned the final roast because one of the great final moments on our show as a super contributor for Matt was the Tom Brady Roast. The Tom Brady Roast. So I think we're actually going to replay some of this monologue. I did a monologue after the Brady Roast, which was on I think it was on Netflix, and I watched it. I thought it was funny, and I was like, my show, I have editorial control, so I'm gonna do a little mention in the monologu.
Speaker 1: I don't think I started the monologue with it.
Speaker 3: It was like at the end of a monologue, the last couple of minutes, I just ranted about what I enjoyed and the Tom Brady roast and this that and the other thing, and so that was fine.
Speaker 1: And that was so offensive to Matt. He was so taken aback.
Speaker 3: He did not think it was funny at all. So he was trying. He was busting my balls, Matt. And then I decided, all right, you know what I'm going to add on, just to get back at you, you sucker. I'm going to add on a fan of the Tom Brady rose to any of your name. So I did that for a while, and he seemed to be annoyed by that, but he played along, and so we went back and forth.
Speaker 1: On that quite a bit, and.
Speaker 3: Just my my condole insist to everyone that loved him and knew him. And you know, I didn't get a chance to meet him. I wish I had, But I really felt a connection as much as he can on the radio show, because he was there for so long. I just knew that no matter how stupid I was, or what ridiculous thing I said, or you know, whether it was a lot going on in sports, or it was kind of a sluggish.
Speaker 1: Time where we were.
Speaker 3: I remember during COVID we were throwing marble racing monologues out there and just anything to fill the time. We had a lot of time and there wasn't a lot of stuff going on, and we had to fill the time.
Speaker 1: And Matt was one of the guys that was there and support of our show.
Speaker 3: So again I wanted to thank his contribution and hopefully rest in peace. They're Matt and on the other side and all that, and we'll hopefully get together again some time down the line. We got a lot of good listeners that have passed away. This has been a tough year in my time doing this show is there's never been a year quite like this. We've lost people from illness, and a lot of people end up finding our show when they're not doing well and then they're lonely, they're at night in the hospital whatever, and it's in pain and they can't sleep, and so they'll they'll find the show, and so we've We've always had a fair number of people that are sick or not doing well, and then eventually a lot of them will get better and then they'll move on to other stuff, they'll forget about us, and then some of them will keep listening, and then all those, unfortunately will not make it and then we lose them.
Speaker 1: But this has been the year.
Speaker 3: We lost Matt, who was many more years to live at age forty nine. And mass Ole Mickey died in a car accident, also around Matt's age, so actually a little younger, I believe.
Speaker 1: So just a tough time, a.
Speaker 3: Tough time, all right, turning the page on that, though there's no good transition, there's really no good transition.
Speaker 1: What's up, Doc? What's up? Doc? So Benny versus the Penny?
Speaker 3: I know, shameless promotion for the TV show, but it's not really about the TV show. So the TV show's on Week sixteen. They'll start airing today the first run. We say, the biggest affiliate. It's on a bunch of cable channels, but for us, it's produced out of NBC Sports Boston, so that is the mothership, that is the flagship. It's on all these other NBC affiliates, but it's NBC Sports Boston. It's their show. We do the show from La Universal Studios, but they produce it. So we go live on tape on and B see Sports Boston at six pm tonight and then again at eight thirty and nine to thirty. So that's in the span of three and a half hours, three showings of Benny Versus the Penny, and then we'll be on in the Bay Area, in San Francisco and in Sacramento and Philadelphia and all these other cities.
Speaker 1: Los Angeles, that's tomorrow.
Speaker 3: They'll pick up Benny Versus the Penny for week sixteen, and this week's episode, there's something that happened that you'll not see on the episode, but we'll make the if we have a blooper.
Speaker 1: Show at the end of the year.
Speaker 3: Tom Looney did the thing you can't do at the time, you can't do it and drove me to lose my mind on set while we were recording Benny Versus the Penny. It actually involves the segment if you pay attention to the show. I mentioned the name of one of the callers to the show, and what Tom Looney did in that moment was the thing you can't do at the time, you can't do it, and that just drove me bonkers.
Speaker 1: I was on the hinge.
Speaker 3: Now you probably won't see much of that. I don't think that made the final cut of the TV show. I'm just telling you when you're watching this weekend's episode, keep an eye on that. Now, as far as What's Up, Doc, I had one of the greatest days I've had.
Speaker 1: How frickin lucky have I been.
Speaker 3: We've been wandering around the back lot at the iconic Universal Studios, Hollywood, and I'm going to post a video later today I made my way to Hill Valley.
Speaker 1: Now, if you don't know what Hill.
Speaker 3: Valley is, that is the scene, the iconic scene in the Back to the Future movies nineteen fifty five, the town square, the lightning strike and Back.
Speaker 1: To the Future. Back to the.
Speaker 3: Future, that was where they filmed the amazing episode the Key Mole in that It was Saturday, November twelfth, nineteen fifty five, at ten oh four pm when lightning strikes the courthouse clock tower, freezing the clock at ten oh four, and the clock is never repaired and becomes a local landmark. And so we were in that town square where they filmed that part of the iconic Back to the Future movies, and they filmed several of them there, and it's a working set, so a working set on the back lot. You know, hello to Marty McFly and Biff and all those other people. But it was really one of those moments where you're sitting there and you're walking around, you're like, oh man.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, that was a big time movie.
Speaker 3: I was in the perfect age range when that movie came out in nineteen.
Speaker 1: Eighty five, so for me, it was like, whoa dude, this is like unreal. And I just loved the whole thing. And we watched it a bunch.
Speaker 3: And here I am middle aged guy and I'm standing right in front of a clock tower in the middle of the town square, and I'm looking around. I see the old gas station there. It's not gas station right now. They're using it as a used car dealership, but for the Back to the Future movie, it was a gas station.
Speaker 1: And I saw the.
Speaker 3: Restaurant where they went in there, the diner where a lot of the action took place in that town square.
Speaker 1: It was just awesome.
Speaker 3: It was just so much fun, and I just one of those things you got to pinch yourself.
Speaker 1: And I hope you enjoyed it. I don't know if you enjoy these things or not.
Speaker 3: We put videos up every week from around Universal Studios, and it's one of those things we feel like imposters, like.
Speaker 1: What are we doing here?
Speaker 3: You know, we don't really belong here, but we actually have passes. We're allowed to be there. And speaking of hat, when I showed up to do Benny Versus the Penny this week, so we normally go into Gate one, but Gate one's been closed, so we've had to go into Gate two and we only go in there once a week. We do the TV show we recorded on Thursday and then it starts airing Thursday night and Friday. So yesterday, what I what I'll do is I'll normally do the radio show and then I got to do a little production after the radio show, and then I'll cruise over there and just hang out.
Speaker 1: No one, you know, no one's really there when I know, four in the morning or whatever when I show up.
Speaker 3: So I'll go over to Universal Studios and I'll hang out. And I've got my own little space right across the hall from the studio where we tape Benny Versus the Penny, which is right in the It's pretty funny because on one side you have I guess like MSNBC's La Bureau and CNBC's La Bureau and all these, and then the other side is this little studio, not very big, and that is where we record our show. But in between that is a little meeting room which I take over every Thursday.
Speaker 1: It's my room. I feel like it's my office.
Speaker 3: So I set up my shop and plug everything in to charge everything and put my final notes together for the TV show, look for any last minute injuries that I might have missed or anything like that.
Speaker 1: And I prepare for the show.
Speaker 3: But getting there, I get there very early, way before I need to be there, way before I need to be there. But I live far away, and so why would I Why would I bother? Why would I bother going all the way back back home and then having to come back and traffic and all that rush hour traffic.
Speaker 1: Didn't want to deal with it. So I go in there and hang out.
Speaker 3: But yesterday was different than most days because I show up, go to the gate I've been going to this season, and I pulled through and I where I normally would turn left, there's cones, not allowed to go, not allowed to go. So I'm like, okay, So I keep driving, thinking at some point I'll be able to make a left turn and then I'll be able to go back where I need to go on River Road and get to the Abbott and Costello parking lot, and I'll be fine. So I keep driving and there's nowhere to turn. There's literally nowhere to turn. I am pretty much boxed in here, and I keep driving and driving. Next thing I know, the malormobile is driving in Manhattan. I'm in the New York part the set, and I was like, oh boy, I probably should turn around.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Get caught, you get in trouble. Not that I was not breaking any rule, It was a harmless mistake. I was trying to get where I needed to go. So anyway, I made a U turn. Drive all the way back to the front to the gate. I asked the security I said, listen, I mean I need to go here, and I can't go where I need to go. What's going on with that? And the security guard is very nice and say, well, now gate one's open, So you got to get out of here, and you got to turn right, and then you got to make another right and then you can go where you need to go, but you can't go here.
Speaker 1: Because it's Gate two and Gate two doesn't go to Gate one. Where you need to go is Gate one, and so I was all right.
Speaker 3: But anyways, it's just a fun a fun day to go to the They call it the court House Square is what it's called.
Speaker 1: Originally. I looked this up because I was really fascinated by the stuff. I'm not even a big movie person.
Speaker 3: I mean there's some when I was a kid, I love them, but I'm not a movie historian by any means. But the town Square set was originally called the Mockingbird Square, and that was after a film that was made there in nineteen sixty two, To Kill a mocking Bird, one of the iconic films in the history of Hollywood from nineteen sixty two, and then they renamed it court House Square after that, and it's been used in a lot of different productions over the years.
Speaker 1: One of them, you know, it was one of these moments.
Speaker 3: I wish my dad was still around because he loved The Twilight Zone, and I actually remember this episode. I used to watch The Twilight Zone with my dad sometimes, the black and white show that would air in the archaic days of my childhood. But they filmed the episode of the Twilight Zone called where is Everybody in that Courtyard Square? And I remember that vividly, that particular episode of the show, and so walking around there and I looked this up and I was like, wow, this is kind of cool. And then I text my buddy. My buddy Shane, who lives in Dallas, who's a huge movie fan, would appreciate this much more than I would. My guy, Shane, I've known him since we were little kids. He works for the Irs, so he's not perfect. But Shane, immediately I said him the phot I said, you know where I am? I said, oh, yeah, yeah, you're in Hill Valley and that They also filmed part of Gremlins there. Whoa they filmed, Yeah, they filmed like the opening scene in Gremlins, which was another iconic movie from the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 1: They filmed that.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: All this on the Universal Studios Hollywood back a lot. Now. To be fair, this thing has been burned over the years. There have been fires there.
Speaker 3: There was an arson fire in nineteen ninety and destroyed a lot of it Courtyard Square. It was rebuilt, the facades, everything reconstructed the same as it was. The courthouse itself. That building I believe was the one used for Hill Valley. That was the one they didn't need to rebuild that did not burn The other ones around there did burn.
Speaker 1: Up, So that was my dad.
Speaker 3: I'll post a video since you listened to the Fifth Hour podcast and you'll get an inside look before and you'll see.
Speaker 1: It if you watch the video I'll put on this afternoon sometime.
Speaker 3: On Instagram and also on the Facebook picture. Maybe I'll put it on x as well, who the heck knows. And with that, now it is time for some foody fun, foody fun.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. Now.
Speaker 3: We're winding down the year, and as we wind down the year, there's not as many food stories. These things will pick up in January, not as many right now. Some of the stories that stood out this week. Taco Bell has introduced new Crispy chicken nuggets maybe deluxe meal, And I've been told these things are really good. If you've had them, let me know if you liked them or not. But I've been told by boots on the ground that have had those Crispy Chicken nuggets in their mouth that they were wonderful. So I've not had them, I do not know, but I've heard good reviews about that.
Speaker 1: What else do we have?
Speaker 3: McDonald's has launched a one dollar ten piece chicken nugget deal limited time. Of course, all of these things through the app, As we have tried to point out. I don't know if we've been eloquent enough with this. If you eat, if you eat fast food a lot and you actually want to get fast food at the price it should be, you have to use your phone. You have to allow them to track you, and you will get reasonably apply priced fast food.
Speaker 1: If you don't do that, they will gouge you.
Speaker 3: Okay, they will absolutely hit a grand slam against your wallet.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you have to be willing.
Speaker 3: If you eat a lot of fast food, you have to be willing to use your fine I think most people know that. But if you don't know that, I'm telling you it is the price difference. It's wild, the difference between where we are on the apps and where we are just if you walk in off the street, you know, hey, I want some I want some nuggets.
Speaker 1: You know that's what I want?
Speaker 3: Yeah, speak of nuggets, And we talked about Taco Bell and their nuggets. There's a story from the Taste of Home website. I don't even know what that is. But Mike sent me this story from Utah. He knows I love chicken, and yeah, he said, these are the top.
Speaker 1: We can get this right.
Speaker 3: The top ranked fast food chicken nuggets number eight was McDonald This is not a list, by the way, Terry and England. This is a big board, not a list, and it's not mine. It's Taste of Home McDonald's chicken nuggets number eight.
Speaker 1: Number seven Burger King.
Speaker 3: I can't tell you the last time I had Burger King chicken nuggets.
Speaker 1: Last time I had it on I mean that good. Wendy's. I have had Wendy's nuggets. They're not bad.
Speaker 3: Number six on the big Board Chick fil A at number five. The Chick fil A Nuggets sandwich is obviously much better than the nuggets. Number four Kentucky Fried Chicken Kentucky Fried Chicken three pieces for about seven bucks. Number three so Campc's number four. K Number three is Popeyes, Number two is Wingstop, and number one Culvers. So they didn't even have raising canes. So this is a bogus list. They did not have raising Keynes the list. They didn't even have them rated and that's a bad job by them who goofed. I've got to know who goofed. I've got to know what else do we have. Let's see page down here, let's see here. Can't read that? Yeah, that's I mean some of the stuff is is not not all that riveting? Now you know it is riveting. This is a must on every episode on Fridays. We try to do this every single episode.
Speaker 1: The idiom of the week. That's right, the Midium oh week.
Speaker 3: Danny jim Ranio is doing the production and he'll be in tomorrow. Yes, he'll be back with me for these Saturday and Sunday podcasts. So the idiom oh a week? Here it is jump on the bandwagon. Now we have heard this, I have. I assume you have. You're in the same world I'm in. We're in different parts of the universe, but I assume we all have heard this. Possibly use it.
Speaker 1: Hey, jump on the bandwag. You know team's doing well in sport. You're jumping on the bandwagon here you are? Well?
Speaker 3: Did you know that the bandwagon term is a fusion idiom. It combines both politics and the circus. Say what back in a different age before social media, before the Internet, before television, before radio, A.
Speaker 1: Time in the Stone Age? Man? Was it a time in the Stone Age?
Speaker 3: So eighteen forty eight the first time the phrase jump on the bandwagon was used, at least in print, was when.
Speaker 1: A clown named Dan Rice. Oh so nice. His name is Dan Rice.
Speaker 3: So this famous clown named Dan Rice, and he would use his circus bandwagon to transport politicians around town while the music from the circus bandwagon would attract the public, and there would be campaign speeches were given and all this stuff. So this originates in the nineteenth century. It was the circus bandwagon, literally carrying a band to get the attention during political rallies. And essentially it obviously means you're jumping on a movement. And so what would happen Because people love music, they would flock to hear the circus band play, and not that they really cared that much about the politics, but they would follow the crowd because you know, someone you know just supporting something solely because it was popular, which is what happens all the time.
Speaker 1: Right You ask anyone who's in the political world and they will tell you ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Percent of the time, the person that wins an election is the person that has the most money to promote themselves. I think ninety nine percent of them. Every once in a while there's someone that ends up winning who doesn't have the most money. But that's rare and appropriate, right that is, you know, man bites dog. It's rare and it doesn't happen all that off and all stuff. So jump on the bandwagon. A great tribute to a famous clown from the eighteen hundreds named Dan Rice, who used to drive around his circus bandwagon with a literal circus band to get the attention to people to show up to hear some hack politician sing and dance and promise them the world.
Speaker 1: So you would get on.
Speaker 3: The bandwagon and and then people would maybe not care that much, but they wanted to hear the music, and so they wanted to be part of the in crowd, so they'd be out there to support the candidate.
Speaker 1: And that is the idiom of the week.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, some more pod fun on Saturday and Sunday. I have a wonderful final weekend before Christmas and Hanukkah tis the season of giving, ho ho ho and all that. Anyway, we'll have a wonderful rest of your Friday, and we will yap.
Speaker 1: With you tomorrow, tomorrow later, skater, Is that how you do it? Danny asta pasta? Is that you want that one wrong again? Idiot? Are we done? Can I leave now? Can I walk out of the studio? I'm good you killed it with the knife. Shake your head yet, yes, Danny, all right, I'm gonna walk out now. I'm gonna go. Uh, I'm gonna stare at a wall. Gotta murder, I gotta go.