Speaker 1: Some people, it's like, it's my right. I don't say I don't want to take that from anybody.
Speaker 2: Listen, I will. I'll make fun of you. If that's your whole personality. Is this one season that you cling to every year? Not me also having like hundreds of boxes with Christmas ornaments.
Speaker 3: That's a different podcast. More More Better, More Better, More.
Speaker 4: Better, More Welcome to More Better, the podcast where we stop pretending to have it all together and.
Speaker 1: Embrace the journey becoming a little more better every day, or at least trying to.
Speaker 2: That's most of Marrow and that's Stephanie Beutru.
Speaker 4: And here we are.
Speaker 2: Here we are recording wait Meerson, we have coffee, we can touch each other, and we're also putting this on the inette for you to watch. So if you're just listening, you can change over to the YouTube if you want to to watch it. If you choose to see my bolo tie that I'm wearing today, it's if not, that's your last babe.
Speaker 3: How are you doing. I'm good.
Speaker 1: I'm excited that we're doing my person together in the same room instead of.
Speaker 2: A really fine screen. It's really fun. You're the coffee that you made is very good. Oh, thank Youmr.
Speaker 4: For you.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't get a Yesmr. How am I supposed to feel? You feel tired? I already feel tired?
Speaker 3: But why do I feel tired all the time? Why would I want to feel tired more?
Speaker 2: To calm your brain, you know, like to relax. Yeah, but it doesn't really work. I don't get that from it. I do use the calm app and I listened to like stories on there.
Speaker 5: I like the call map. I used to use that a lot.
Speaker 3: I love it so much.
Speaker 5: What have you done lately? It's a little more better, staff.
Speaker 2: I did my peloton ride this morning. It was very hard. I'm a fool because I was like, oh, I'm going to do an endurance ride in our life endurance ride and like it's only like at level two on my STP and I was the fucking sweating ten minutes in.
Speaker 3: I was like, wait, I have fifty minutes left of this. But I did it. I finished it. I finished it for you.
Speaker 1: There's something about those endurance rides. It's like the doing the same thing for an extended period of time, and I know it's good for me. It's mentally really hard, which.
Speaker 2: Is and he said that multiple times. Matt will Person, my Peloton boyfriend, said it multiple times. He was like, the half of this is the head game of like you making sure that you can keep your legs moving essentially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what about you? What have you done?
Speaker 4: Like me?
Speaker 3: That's more better.
Speaker 1: The kids started school and I have just been which kind of maybe falls into our topic today.
Speaker 2: Falls in lo lol.
Speaker 3: I've been give some graphics.
Speaker 2: Here was just some little like leaving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been really productive. Yeah, every day I think coming fucky.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I've just had like energy.
Speaker 1: I like reorganize the boys room, and I'm going to do like other parts of the house and of just like things that have been on my mind. I'm actually getting done.
Speaker 5: I'm this is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not annoyed at cooking dinner at night like I think, cause it's like still fresh, the like routine, the switch over into the school time, into the school time, into like the schedule, because it's really I mean, I love it. We all thrive during summer in the chaos of like no schedules. Yeah, it's really not until the very and like I know, I can see it in the kids that they need more structure and routine when it gets close to going back to school.
Speaker 2: I wonder if like the extra chaos at the end of the summer though, is because they know they're going back, so there's like nerves and anxiety about Like, yeah, that's so I feel.
Speaker 4: It more better.
Speaker 3: Well that's what we're talking about today. We're talking about fall.
Speaker 2: Your favorite season is my favorite so much.
Speaker 1: Well, I grew up in a place where it was like real fall, not like La falla La Fall doesn't start to like November Christmas.
Speaker 5: It's weird, which is.
Speaker 2: You know, quite a bit of the country struggles with that. I think, like the seasons change, but they don't change when when they're Yeah, like as I mean, now I've been in LA for over a decade, it's the one thing that will still trip me out when it's like Christmas time.
Speaker 1: But there's like like trees in La with like red and yellow leaves, you know, and I'm just like, oh, that's not.
Speaker 3: Right, you're late. But growing up, it was, yeah, it was like that.
Speaker 1: Back to school, the like it felt more like New Year's than New Year's does, like the start of another year. I would take drives with my parents to go see like fall foliage.
Speaker 3: Out of here.
Speaker 1: Parents love to go for a drive and we would classic classic, Yes.
Speaker 3: Oh wow. Because you grew up on the East Coast, you grew up in Jersey.
Speaker 1: I grew up in New Jersey, so it was very like you had seasons. You had a strong season, very big change.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: And then when I moved to New York too, like the leaves. I don't know if they if this is still true, but at least when I lived there, because climate change, the week of the New York Marathon, the trees in Central Park would almost like pretty much be.
Speaker 5: At peak color.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful, And it was just you could rely on that timing everything that's kind of beautiful, and you know that like poets walk that wide walkway with all the writer statues, all the trees there turn like bright yellow. And the first time I walked through it, I was like and then a wind came and oh I.
Speaker 2: Literally yeah, yes, I was like wind machine.
Speaker 3: Now one of those moments you're like.
Speaker 1: This doesn't feel like real life, like this is just so beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So and then you know, you know I love a sweater, you know, I love layers, love blazy, love it. Stephanie bought me a tweed wool blazer, and I was like, you know me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah I do.
Speaker 2: I mean, I will say, like the idea of getting more better at a fall is really interesting, right, because like how do you get more better at a season?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: There are elements of this season that I think, I think why we were interested in this is there are elements of this season that I don't I don't like I would prefer my people are from South America. Yeah, there are seasonal changes there. However, the median you know, temperature is going to be a crispy eighty six.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad when when I was growing up, my dad would be like, God, it's freezing in here, and he'd put on a jacket. It would be like seventy four. I'm still like this. I almost took a jacket last night to a concert that was outdoors last night.
Speaker 3: Seventy four degrees.
Speaker 2: It was warm. I was like, I'm okay, because I'm gonna dance, so I'll be I'll like heat myself up, it'll be fine. But I feel like there's like culturally, right, like if we if we think about fall the season as like what's fall cults like? For for sake, of the podcast purposes today, we're gonna call it like fall, what's fall?
Speaker 5: Culture? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Getting better at find out?
Speaker 5: Yeah, is a culture arguable?
Speaker 2: I mean for some people like their whole culture, or some people it's.
Speaker 3: Like it's my right. I don't say, I don't want to take that from anybody. Listen, I will.
Speaker 2: I'll make fun of you if that's your whole personality. Is this one season that you cling to every year? Not me also having like hundreds of boxes of Christmas ornaments?
Speaker 3: That's a different podcast.
Speaker 2: But I do think there are elements of this season that are very uh, they're fun to get into, like as a yeah, as a like okay, like think about pop culture, right, like pop culture and what it like every now and then you'll have like this wave of something that's like very popular in culture, right, and this is the time where this stuff is.
Speaker 1: Like isis made us a list of stuff which is like, it's crazy how long this list?
Speaker 2: Pumpkin spice, pumpkin patches, apple picking, fall candles, Halloween decorating me, high boots. We're gonna come back to that one.
Speaker 3: That one's real.
Speaker 2: That one's a real problem for me.
Speaker 5: Okay, me too.
Speaker 2: Corn mazes trips to see autumn, like you were saying, you had a drive with your parents to go see.
Speaker 3: Like corn mazes. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I one of my first jobs in New York was in Queens. There was this corn maze and one of my fris ran the company that and we had to lead people through this cornmes. It was a hell on earth. It was absolutely hell on earth. I hate corn mazes so much. They're dusty, dry, dirty, and no one listens to the rules. Hay rides, bonfires, plaid, big hats, big scarves, the Lenny Kravitz and his fabulous big scarf, pumpkin pie, apple Pie. I mean, like listing some of this stuff is really and like, ooh, Chili, that's.
Speaker 5: A good one.
Speaker 2: I also really love thee Little Morthos, which is like right in the fall, Halloween and the Littlesmorthos. Right Halloween is the thirty first, theos Morthos is usually celebrated on the thirty first, first and second.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I.
Speaker 2: Just I really like that part of it, which is like this, like I like the ghosty, spooky part of Fall. I don't necessarily love the now we have to change all of our clothes to wear like fifteen layers, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like it.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be told that it's time. You don't want to wear orange in tan.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't have anything orange.
Speaker 1: Way.
Speaker 2: I do have a lot of beige, but I don't have anything orange.
Speaker 3: Because it doesn't look good on me.
Speaker 5: Bitch.
Speaker 6: I don't like it really, even like like a burnty orange kind of.
Speaker 2: Maybe like I've been like a bright orange suit before, but it's not like for me.
Speaker 3: Hmm, I hear you.
Speaker 2: I feel like, out of the two of us, this is your real time to shine.
Speaker 1: This is although I will say the last few years, I feel like fall has started to move towards like Valentine's Day or like those annoying like like did you notice there was like fall stuff and Halloween stuff in supermarkets and like pharmacies starting in.
Speaker 5: Like August this year, yes, like August first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say, as somebody who does love Disneyland, and you guys already know this about me, so.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like you don't. We went to Disneyland and it was already Halloween.
Speaker 1: Halloween, which is fine because let's go let's go stoked, like Haunted Mansion was he was.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic, sick that part of fall.
Speaker 3: I'm all about it. I'm like one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Let's embrace it because like there's for me, there's like cultural significance there which is like the the what do they call it, the the thinning of the veil between worlds. Like listen, I'm not necessarily religious, but I am spiritual, and I really do believe that, like if you talk to your ancestors, they're around you, they're protecting you, there with you, and like that's the time of year where everybody collectively kind of does it all together. And there's this like I think it's it's like old, the old Old. I don't know where it's from. Maybe I is could look it up. I'm looking off camera at ice, but like there's this thing called like the wheel of time, and it like it it kind of goes through like the seasons with you as a human being, and like how the seasons affect you and what you should be doing during the seasons and like all hallows even like I think it's called like Sam Sam Hi Sam, I'm again, Yeah, you're wrong. You can put it right here on the screen. I don't know what it's called but I like love that part of fall because it's like this kind of excuse.
Speaker 3: To remember everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like we make thee little more those altar in our house. We like have all the stuff up. I have like pictures of my dog, my dog's ashes, like like all that stuff.
Speaker 3: I love.
Speaker 2: It's the it's the being forced into.
Speaker 5: Pumpkin spicy.
Speaker 2: I don't want it. I don't want it shoved down my throat. I don't want it. And also like it's this is a like season feels like the lie is that it's like cozy and and comfy and you're gonna light a candle and like get on your couch and get in a blanket and read a book.
Speaker 3: And it's actually ramping.
Speaker 2: Up to the holidays, which is like that part stressful to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that part too, I feel that, Like, yeah, when September hits, I'm just like, oh God, here we go, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas is cann be here before we know it.
Speaker 7: I found it, okay. Wheel of the Year the year annual cycle of seasonal festivals observed by a range of modern pagans marking the year's chief solar events, solstices and equinoxides and the mid midpoints between them, and then it you know, includes like folk traditions, a lot of British like Anglo Saxon history, Celtic history.
Speaker 2: Yes, sinking with living with the seasons, living with the seasons, celebrating the seasons, celebrate like and aligning like tour like this is when we harvest, this is when we save food, this is when we plant food. This is what the this is what the sky and the you know, like, this is what the seasons are doing, this is what the earth is doing right now. So like lining up with that as opposed to and now. I will say, like I'm not trying to be like you know, I don't know. I'm not trying to be like a summer bunny when it's fall. Like I'm not going to force myself to wear you know, haltertops and short shorts when.
Speaker 3: It's you're not sixty degrees outside. No, oh not I do.
Speaker 4: I will.
Speaker 3: I will say.
Speaker 2: The thing that I love about La fashion is that you can wear like pants, flip flops in a trench coat like.
Speaker 3: That that doesn't happen anywhere. That is true, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So fabulous. Like sometimes I'll be on my Pinterest board looking at outfits, I'm like, I can wear these all year. I can do this anytime. Yeah, and these poor other people in other cities and seasons.
Speaker 3: Y'all can't. You can't be wearing No, you can't.
Speaker 1: Any other thing that maybe made fall like a bigger thing to me is fall, at least when I was growing up and on the East Coast, it's like two or three weeks long, like it's so short, and then it's just cold, and then you're just like, oh, winter is here, and oh that's so interesting.
Speaker 2: I kind of like was like, no, under the impression that was like August, September, October.
Speaker 1: Was no, No, August is still hot, September could still be hot. And then it's like October maybe like the first week of November.
Speaker 5: And there's just gold.
Speaker 1: Oh sniffs nap, but there's like two weeks of like peak fall weather and just you're like, this.
Speaker 2: Is oh, no, wonder you love it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because it's yeah, it's like so.
Speaker 2: No wonder people love Gilmore Girls because it's like fall for like y episodes.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And one of the things I'm not walking something now, Yes, And one of the things that made me like One of the first things of about La that I loved is like you get to like live and fall like even winter here it feels like the fall.
Speaker 5: It's yeah, for months and months and months and it's best.
Speaker 3: Emma, are you changing my mind about getting.
Speaker 1: To wear like fall clothes, like the light layers and the little boots and like the I know we've got this is discuss the boots for let's discuss Yes, so not all boots are equal.
Speaker 2: Obviously, No, not all boots are equal. We have cowboy boots up here and then everything else below.
Speaker 5: Let's agree to disagree.
Speaker 2: I don't think you have the right pair of cowboy boots.
Speaker 1: Listen, they're cute in the right don't even circumstance or location.
Speaker 3: Circumstance, what circumstances not.
Speaker 5: They're stiff.
Speaker 1: They're like, well maybe not, they're all of them stiff, but they don't like go with everything.
Speaker 3: They're not as like versatile.
Speaker 2: As what are you fucking talking about?
Speaker 3: Where you know?
Speaker 2: I just think that like a good Like you're telling me you can wear a writing boot with shorts.
Speaker 3: No, no, you can't.
Speaker 1: No no, But I'm not trying to wear boots with shorts like ever.
Speaker 2: I did see some girls this summer wearing writing boots with shorts, and I was.
Speaker 5: Like, good for you. I was really push but I really loved writing boots and I wore them all the time.
Speaker 3: I do like a writing boot for a fall.
Speaker 1: I like a writing yeah, I do like yeah, or just like a really good like Chelsea boot, Like is that what it's called.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a Chelsea boot For those of you don't know, it's like a shorter boot, I'd say, not like an ankle, but like maybe like a little a little duller. Yeah, it can have like a stacked or cone heel, but it's really like a boot that you like pull on.
Speaker 3: You should be able to pull it on you.
Speaker 5: It looks good with everything, It's comfortable.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 2: I have some of my closets that I maybe should have brought today for you because I don't wear them really.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Like what I don't like is the do you remember the look that was very popular a couple of years ago that was like a skinny jean, an over the knee swayed boot with a stacked heel, a big white sweater.
Speaker 3: And a big brown hat. Yeah, was like, why are you wearing that hat?
Speaker 5: Where you going?
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Are you riding? Like yeah?
Speaker 5: Or is it some protection? Oh my god, did you don't wash your hair?
Speaker 3: I don't like it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't like it.
Speaker 1: I feel like I bought one of those hats once because I was trying to like be in the trend. Oh my god, I never wore it. It's probably still in my closet.
Speaker 3: That's what that.
Speaker 2: What's it called the like fall uh like fall girl?
Speaker 1: Oh oh, it's called we have it here. It's called the Christian Christian Girl. And it's that famous picture, you know, the one you know where I'm looking at it. Now, six of these bitches are wearing the same exact boot, and I have so many really.
Speaker 3: Clear, we're not making fun of Christianity whatever.
Speaker 1: I just have questions like did one girl buy the boots for the rest of the girls?
Speaker 3: Do you think they all called each other and were like did they all? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Did they all happen to like own the same boot? And that was the thing when they showed up a brunch, like, oh my god, boots.
Speaker 5: But then there's two other pairs.
Speaker 3: That look like guys, it's a bad.
Speaker 5: Blue or green maybe it's bad.
Speaker 1: And then there's a random pair of gray boots that I'm guessing maybe she's the Queen Bee right because she she was like, all you bitches are gonna wear everyone's.
Speaker 2: Wearing their rest colored boots. Guys, everybody's wearing or the dark ones.
Speaker 1: And then she showed up on picture day in her gray boots or silver boots.
Speaker 3: He's let's go. Here's the thing I do like. I like being a basic bitch.
Speaker 2: I I really enjoy my basic things, Like I love my I love my weighted blanket, I do drink a pumpkin spice slatt sometimes.
Speaker 3: I love a cold brew.
Speaker 5: I love good prissy too. I never really zoomed in on the per.
Speaker 2: These girls are not unfashionable. Oh no, it's like when it's the same, but it's the it's just I just you know what.
Speaker 5: I just want someone to break down how this happened.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'll tell you how it happened.
Speaker 2: I want homogeneous thought like it's like you want to be part of I mean, listen, here's the thing, like we all want to be part of the club, like everybody wants to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the high school thing like never really leaves.
Speaker 2: It never goes away and like, I want to be part of a club.
Speaker 3: I want more friends, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm like, so if you have a uniform that you know that when you see someone else, you're like, oh, those are my people, right, Like those girls with the over the knee suede boots.
Speaker 1: Those we're probably going to have other things in common. Yeah, yeah, I get that. So shout out to the two girls that did not wear a hat, by the way, that chose no hat. I feel like, I mean, these.
Speaker 3: Girls like each other. They like each other and they have fun together.
Speaker 2: And I'll be real honest when I see other girls wearing cowboy boots and was yeah, you you're my girl, right.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I read something the other day that was like it was in a review of some cowboy boots because I was shopping for new cows.
Speaker 5: How many pairs of cowboys? Don't you need to discuss it.
Speaker 3: At this moment, it's seven or eight. Some of them are gifted to me, it's not an issue.
Speaker 2: But she was like, these boots are great for those those of y'all.
Speaker 3: Those are those of you who.
Speaker 2: Are in they alternative look.
Speaker 3: And I was like, that's me. I'm alternative it's me. I'm the alternative. Okay, I'm off topic.
Speaker 2: So I want to ask you a couple of these questions that we have written down. Do you have fall activities that you do either yourself or your family that you do out of obligation versus versus joy, Like, I know you love the season, but like, are there things for you that are like I have.
Speaker 3: To do this, this this, This is the time of year when this thing happens. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Hmm, I'm trying to think. I do love like a pumpkin spice latte. I will, like, for a while, I was really into it, and I would buy like the Trader Joe's has like just pumpkins spice coffee. It's so good, really good, and I would buy it every year and then I think I like burned myself out on it. But I still weird it's such a small thing that I weirdly feel obligated to have a few each cear house. Not in my house anymore, but like I have to like get a pumpkin space. You have to be part of the Yeah, I've got to Like, I'm like, it's that time of year, this is when we do this. Yeah, yeah, I gotta do it, but I don't know if it brings me joy anymore.
Speaker 5: That's really interesting, So maybe I shouldn't do it anymore.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll do it this year and see how you see.
Speaker 5: Right, I'll survive without my pumpkins spicy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They're also doing some other things now, and there's like yeah pecans ye.
Speaker 5: Ever, Like.
Speaker 1: I feel like when I was younger, apple picking was a big one that happened every year and it was fun. But I I feel like the last couple of times I did as a teenager, I was.
Speaker 5: Like, where are we going to do? Free labor?
Speaker 3: Like why? Okay?
Speaker 2: Good to remember from when my kid gets older. And I'm like, let's do the tradition and she's.
Speaker 1: Like, oh yeah, I just wasn't yeah as into it, and I was just like, I don't know that this is fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you come home with way too many apples.
Speaker 3: I've never done it.
Speaker 2: This is not something I ever did because they I didn't grow up around like apple orchards and stuff. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, foreign idea to me.
Speaker 1: It's very much a Northeast thing. And but you come home with a shit ton of apples, what do you.
Speaker 3: Do with them?
Speaker 1: Like make apple sauce, and like if you're not making apple sauce and pies, half of them go bad because you can't eat that many apples like so, and then it's just like I did.
Speaker 2: A play once where I had to eat a whole apple and a scene, and I was off apples for like two years. Oh I bet green apples that used to be my favorite. I can't have them anymore. Yep, my favorite too.
Speaker 1: I went through like a few years of childhood where I green apple. Kids started to like make little like teasing comments because I would, Uh, I walked home for lunch every day and I would walk back to school with a green apple.
Speaker 5: That's so cute eating it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything so idyllic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, Nora Efron scene. I My obligation in the Fall is that we go through the closet like we go like I call all the clothes, like all the summer clothes that didn't get worn, Yeah, like you didn't wear this is summer and you didn't wear this last summer. And then also all the jackets, which is like do you really like this? Did you wear it last year? If you didn't wear it last.
Speaker 1: Year, so it's time to get it out like yeah, I find I like fall a better time to do that than spring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did too.
Speaker 2: It just feels like, Okay, let's let's get it done. I do feel this sense of like, let's get it done in the fall, like I start to get things ready for Christmas, I start to get things ready for Halloween like this, Like I will say, yeah, there's like a little bit of a bit of that.
Speaker 5: Do you.
Speaker 3: Okay? This is an interesting one.
Speaker 2: What's the difference between seasonal joy for you and seasonal performance?
Speaker 4: Ooh?
Speaker 2: Because I do think like and this is maybe a it's different for everyone. I will say, the thing that you and I have in common is being mothers. And I think sometimes around the fall there is a little bit of performative for me at least of like Kates Palloween, you know, yeah, and like get the bunk in yeah, or like oh, what do.
Speaker 5: You want to be?
Speaker 3: What do you want to be?
Speaker 2: For I can't even tell you how much girl googling I've been doing to try to put together this K pop demon Hunter's outfit that she wants and like, I'm very stressed about it and I don't and I'm like and I can't show it like that to me is performative of me to my four year old being like yeah and so exciting, And I internally what I feel is like I wish that I could do what my mom mom did, which was devastating at the time, but just like throw me the same pair of ears and tail right every year and just be like figure it out, you know, like, because that's what my mom did. She was like, I don't have time for this, and she literally would recycle the stupid the mouse costume and mouth the mouse headband broke Melissa, oh no, until it snapped one year when we were trigger treating.
Speaker 3: Devastating, awful.
Speaker 2: So that's what I'm doing for my kid, But I'm also like, you're paying the ass is the pain in the ass.
Speaker 1: I made a mistake of asking what do you guys think you want to be Valloween?
Speaker 2: And I thought I aided the topic number one.
Speaker 1: I phrased it in a way of like, hey, we should start thinking about this so we could decide and the next you know, a couple of weeks maybe, and then it just like I've said before, Axel's spooky kid loves Halloween.
Speaker 5: This is his super Bowl. You can't wait to hear it one day.
Speaker 1: He was like watching a toddler spiral, Like he went from my god, what were all the costumes he said he was going to be. He started as a Stormtrooper, then he said maybe a Jedi. Then he was going to be a Teddy Bear. Then he was going to be a skeleton. Then he landed on skeleton and I saw like a glow and a dark skeleton.
Speaker 5: He was like pumped.
Speaker 1: But now he's gone back to and now he wants to be Chewbacca.
Speaker 5: But and no, and he wants like a real mask and then he'll.
Speaker 3: Take it off halfway through.
Speaker 2: Georgereatm because it'll be hot, because that's.
Speaker 3: What I said.
Speaker 1: And then half the Chewbacca masks look like a dog and he was like, it just looks like a dog. And I'm like, I don't do you can't say, but this is what's available. I don't I don't know, so I'm not buying anything until he decides.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which is going to be hard.
Speaker 2: I asked Roz last year. We were in Toronto last year for Twisted Metal, and I asked her what she wanted to be and she was like, I want to be a fairy. I was like okay, and she was like, no, I want to be a dragon fairy. And I was like fuck. So I'm like damn.
Speaker 3: I was going to every children's costume shop in Toronto being like.
Speaker 2: Do you have a dragon costume? And do you have fairy accessories? Sound a fairy dress and a dragon like head with a cake, and then I so lights into I cut the head open, I sewed lights into it, so like the minute the sun went down and turned the lights on, everyone was losing their shit. And I was like mentally behind her as every every door opened and everyone was like, oh my god, you're a dragon fairy. She kept turning around and looking at me like we did it, and I in my head, I was like, uh no, I now I've set the bar so high. Yeah, I've said it so high that I never can fail again, Like I'm fucked.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, anyway, Uh yeah, I literally did that.
Speaker 5: With Enzo.
Speaker 1: He started combining Halloween costumes and what was the first one I nail. I think it was he wanted to be a vampire ninja, and which was a very cool idea and we nailed it. And then the next year he was like still on that train and he was like I want to be a kid from the future and I was like, no, I want to be a cyberpunk and I was like, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: Oh, show me pictures showing references.
Speaker 2: Where's your pintustport seven year old?
Speaker 1: I had to find like different parts from everywhere and then I found this cool like silver puffy vest. But then it was eighty degrees and it was like too warm for it. Anyway, it was a disaster. So thankfully he's back to just like a costume.
Speaker 2: I do want them to have a great time. Yeah, it does feel the most performative of the I.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, some moms love Halloween, but and there feels pressure to like show a kid that, like, yeah, I think there's gonna be a balance, like when she gets older.
Speaker 2: It's like what you said, like this is what's available. Like, I don't know what you want me to do. I can't make magic out of thin air, but it is. It does feel like I don't want to show her that I hate this because I don't want her to feel yeah bad for asking me, because I remember being a kid and asking my mom and get thrown the same tail and yeah, set of ears for four years in a row.
Speaker 3: You know, okay, the financial pressure of buying seasonal everything. Now this one. Oh that's not me, that's not me.
Speaker 1: I feel like my mom and I have a friend who does this too, would like switch out parts of that home decor, like the blankets, the candles, the pillows on the sofa would yeah, like there would be winter ones and spring ones.
Speaker 6: That feels like so much fucking work, especially like do you know how much time I take deciding on what throw pillows I want to put on my couch and then six months later I'm like, I need no.
Speaker 1: One really, Yes, throw pillows for some reason are.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's just like a really old one. Be cute, that's so interesting. Yeah, I have the same throw.
Speaker 2: Pillows for like, probably too long.
Speaker 1: I the ones I have now are probably the ones I like the most, and we've had them the longest. But already the other day I was like, ooh, these these other ones are kind of getting like a little.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh man, what am I should just buy that same one? I started a spiral like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: So the thought of like finding multiple throw pillows for different seasons, for different seasons, also, where are you storing that? I mean obviously you're getting the zipper kind and they're going but like I've you know, like.
Speaker 5: I got limited storage here.
Speaker 2: Like I think, if it brings you, if you if it brings you joy, you do you don't it's I would say, it's cheerful. Don't go overboard because that's where I get in trouble because I'm like, I'm in home goods being like, oh my god, that's so cute.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, that's cute. Oh my god, that's so cute.
Speaker 2: And then suddenly my car is full and I'm like I won't need any of this stuff and I'm never gonna use it again, Like it's gonna you know, I will do.
Speaker 1: I love get My mom would always get the mini pumpkins. I do get the mini pumpkins and I put them on the dining table and like the coffee table like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also find this.
Speaker 3: This is like a holiday tip.
Speaker 2: But the the library is such an incredible resource for like craft books because Martha Stewart particularly has like a line of like holiday craft right, and like there's so much good stuff like this year we're gonna cut our pumpkins are going to be little fairy houses, like We're gonna my sister and I are gonna like stensle them and like, you know, like make a little fairy houses and stuff and like put little like like.
Speaker 3: Like mushrooms and like little dolls and stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, So I want to like get to wrapping this up because I feel.
Speaker 3: Like we could talk about this forever.
Speaker 5: I know, I really could.
Speaker 2: I do want to talk about the nerd stuff for a second.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, while you look at it, you really thought that was Lenny Kravitt in his our big scarf fall vibes.
Speaker 5: Gods, such a good scarf. It's like a throw blend.
Speaker 3: I don't know, a throb blend or is it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, It's like I like the way.
Speaker 1: The top part looks, but that bottom part that's hanging is a lot.
Speaker 2: Okay, two things, okay. Homo temperous seasonal cycles as a fundamental source of variation in human psychology. This is a recent study that argued that, despite ample evidence that humans are responsive to seasons, the impact of seasonal changes on human psychology is underappreciated. So it's like, yes, oh yeah, the seasons are changing, but it actually does.
Speaker 3: Affect us in a pretty strong way.
Speaker 2: The researchers made the case that seasonal variation should be considered a fundamental factor in understanding human behavior, not just an afterthought. So, like the vibe around the season is a real thing. It's not just something imagined. It's not just like a collective like weird trend, right, Like it is an actual thing, like going back to school, getting your house ready for the fall, Like feeling like you need to like make sure that everything is kind of like ready is a real Like it's a real thing.
Speaker 5: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: And then this thing that I thought was really interesting, cognitive performance in fall. So this goes back to the first thing that you talked about, where you were like, I'm on, I'm firing on all cylinders. Research showing that people did significantly better on tests of thinking and concentration in the late summer and early autumn versus the winter and early spring. This wasn't related to mood or exercise levels, suggesting that there's something inherently cognitively beneficial about fall, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like all the things, like you know, the things we do, like New Year's resolutions, making goals, making whatever, spring cleaning, Like I feel that energy more in the fall. Yeah, like I feel like I can set goals better, I can be clearer, I can what do I want to like manifest or like.
Speaker 5: Put energy towards. I'm all the like organizing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just feel because I feel like New Year's you're like burnt out from all the fucking holidays. It's like I wanna I just want to sleep. I want to think about goals. I wanna do this right now and then and then it's like cold, and when I used to live on the East Coast, I used to get like seasonal depression in winter and that would made it really hard to be productive. And then spring is like the idea of spring cleaning, like I might purge in the spring, like get rid of a lot of shit. But I'm not organizing. I'm not like doing something that's necessarily productive because I feel like you just want to be outside because the weather is finally nice again and you want to do like outdoor things, and it's like I don't and I'm still.
Speaker 5: Tired from winter.
Speaker 1: I mean, so it makes sense. That makes sense to me. That one makes a lot of sense to feel. Thank you science.
Speaker 2: I do think that this one's really interesting because I do I know our audience is like a lot a lot of different kinds of people hopefully, but I think a lot of our listeners are women. Consumer behavior changes a lot with the seasons, and like it's influenced by activities associated with the seasons, which makes a lot of sense obviously. I think marketing wise, we've hit like peak marketing. I think we're gonna hit it every year. But I do feel like that's part of my resistance to fall is my own response to some of the marketing yeah, is like I don't want to shove down my throat, but also like it is happening anyway.
Speaker 3: They're just trying to make.
Speaker 2: Their bags, so like, yeah, you know whatever, But yeah, I get that, the like yeah, little rebel inside you was like, no, yeah, I don't need to put on a spider or jacket the same time at the same time. Like culturally, when I see when I'm like in the Walmart and I see like Picado, you know what I mean, Like it makes me feel like, oh I'm here, I'm like my people are here, you know, and it makes me feel like a part of it. It makes me feel like culturally and not being ignored and being like catered to, which makes me very excited. Yeah, yeah, I do. I really do love that about this time of year when I see more of like my culture reflected in like what's happening in marketing and stuff.
Speaker 3: Like when I see like.
Speaker 2: When we were at Disneyland and there's like altars for the Ottos and there's like, oh, it was.
Speaker 1: So Beauty's it's beautiful little Ganko murals right there, like there's like stuff from Cocoa, and like it makes me feel really like.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like we are part of the fabric of the United States, like our culture, and like we are part.
Speaker 3: Of this season.
Speaker 2: And I also want to invite other people to, like if you haven't ever celebrated the little Martos, like maybe this is your year to try it.
Speaker 3: Like it's for every buddy. It is literally forever.
Speaker 1: I didn't really celebrate it til I moved here. I mean it's cause it's not really celebrated in New York, New Jersey, right.
Speaker 2: Like, and I think it's it's got deeply Mexican roots, but I think like for everybody it can become a part of your fall like celebration because like it's about family.
Speaker 5: It's like beautiful tradition and yeah, more better.
Speaker 2: What did you learn today? I'll tell you what I learned that I maybe don't hate fall as much as I thought. Yeah, you don't. I do hate an over the knee suede boot, who I have worn them.
Speaker 3: Before twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: I like feel I don't know, I like feel like maybe I don't hate it as much as I thought I did, or at least like I don't, I'm not as resistant to it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: I think my takeaway is I I, until this conversation, didn't realize that like fall is when I'm really going to get shit done, Like you know, I think I just saw. I wasn't as conscious of it until this particular kind of fall and this conversation. And I think it's good to notice that, to like be maybe even more intentional every year.
Speaker 2: It's you know, funny because like when I think of you, I think of like fall jeans, a Chelsea boot, a brown bag over your shoulder, a laser, and like a coffee in your hand, like yes.
Speaker 1: Doing stuff, getting dun god, Yes, yeah yeah, been wearing it since my twenties.
Speaker 3: It's classic. It's classic for a reason. Do you feel a little more better? Always feel a little more better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I do. I think I embracefall culture. Maybe not Christian Girl Autumn.
Speaker 1: Maybe not, but that particular brand of alternative fall.
Speaker 2: I like alternative fall, alternative Fall.
Speaker 5: Okay, would mind be you guys? Alternative?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: No, sorry, we'll see you next week.
Speaker 3: Okay, bye bye.
Speaker 2: More More and more Better. Do you have something you'd like to be more better at that you want to talk about in a future episode?
Speaker 1: Can you relate to our struggles or have you tried one of our tips and tricks?
Speaker 2: Shoot us your thoughts and ideas at Morebetter pod at gmail dot com and include a voice note if you want to be featured on the pod. Ooh, More Better with Stephanie Melissa as a production from Wvsound and iHeartMedia's Mikuntura podcast network, hosted by me, Stephanie Beatriz and Melissa Fumero. More Better is produced by ISIS Madrid and Sophie Spencer Zabos.
Speaker 1: Our executive producers are Stephanie Beatrice, myself, Melissa Kumero, along with Wilmar Valderrama and Leo Klem at w V Sound and ISIS Madrid. This episode was edited by ISIS Madrid and engineered by Sean Tracy and feature's original music by Madison Davenport and Helo boy. Our cover art is by Vincent Remis and photography by David Avalos. For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 5: You listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 2: See you next week, suck Us, Bye Hoo, Pokitomas Mayhor