Speaker 1: On March eight, twenty sixteen, Dante West and four friends from California were traveling across country in two separate cars with different final destinations. The last stop they planned to make together was in Manhattan, Kansas, at the apartment of a mutual friend named Jacob Gadwood. As they neared the apartment, a police officer on High seventy spotted the pair of out of state cars and immediately suspected them of drug trafficking. He figured one with carrying the load, while the other was a decoy meant to draw heat from law enforcement. When the officer pulled Dante's car over, he was disappointed to have chosen what he felt must have been the decoy, but took note of the destination under GPS. The officer's suspicions appeared to be confirmed when several pounds of cannabis were later found in the other car. Then, Jacob Gadwood claimed that he planned on buying one of those pounds from Dante, just enough way to incur a nearly eight year sentence. But this is wrongful conviction. Wrongful conviction has always given voice to innocent people in prison. Now we're expanding that voice to you call us at eight three three two oh seven four six sixty six and leave us a message. Tell us how these powerful, often tragic stories make you feel outraged, inspired, motivated. We want to know. We may even include your story in a future episode. Call us A three three two oh seven four six sixty six. Welcome back to Wrongful Conviction. This is the first time we featured the story of someone who was wrongfully convicted of a crime that I think we all agree now should never even be a crime in the first place, and it isn't in most of the country, which is cannabis. And I'm talking about Dante West, my friend who is an inspiration to me and so many other people. So Dante, first of all, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, Jason. It's incredible just to be on this platform.
Speaker 1: We also have an attorney named Chris Biggs who's been practicing law for over forty years, who was a Secretary of State of the State of Kansas. So Chris, thanks for being here with us today.
Speaker 3: It's a pleasure. I appreciate the opportunity to share the story.
Speaker 1: And it is a crazy, freaking story. It involves the misguided, disastrous social policy known as the War on drugs, it has over policing elements to it. It's got snitches, and it happened in Kansas, but it could have happened almost anywhere. And in fact, it could have happened to me when I was growing up. Different being, I wouldn't have been innocent. Full disclosure. So Dante, let's start with you. You didn't grow up in Kansas, right.
Speaker 2: No, I'm from a place called Stockton, California, right between Oakland and Sacramento.
Speaker 1: And this happened when you were a college student, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this happened a couple of years after my high school graduation.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I graduated twenty thirteen, went out there a few years later. Like I mentioned before, just being from Stockton, California, Jason and living with my grandmother was the sole provider of two younger brothers that were eight nine years old at the time. My grandmother really encouraged me just to say, hey, you've been taking care of me, you should definitely just go out there on a leap of faith and check out, you know, schools. My good cod Infinita, Sean Perkins, had a football scholarship at Tabor University and we were just really just going on a road trip, man, and I was hoping I can continue it out there, first time out of the state, and it was just, you know, a wild experience.
Speaker 1: Dante Deshaun sat out on the road in a Hundai. Well, three friends of theirs, Victor Lara, Enrique Hinejosa and Jose Jimenez joined them in their Alexus.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I've definitely knew the guys went to high school with those guys friends for sure. They were going the same direction, but different destinations.
Speaker 1: And they had a different agenda.
Speaker 2: I had like sebecsa CPOs, a couple pounds of marijuana. I'm not too sure what was in there, and nothing ever left the vehicle. Like I said, same direction, different destinations.
Speaker 1: Well, unaware of the contents of the Alexis, Dante and Deshaun planned on visiting a few colleges on their way to Tabor College in Hillsboro, Kansas, a state that hadn't yet adopted its neighbors use on cannabis.
Speaker 3: Kansas is surrounded by Colorado, which has recreational use, Oklahoma, which has medicinal use. Missouri now has been medicinal use and recreational use. And we're in between all those states, and we still have very conservative state laws about using or delivering marijuana. And there's also a lot of enforcement that happens on the interstate highway. Profiling is not allowed. The issue is whether the officers had an independent reason to stop you. My experiences, if you who have out of state tags and they're young people, that they probably have a better opportunity of being stopped. The practice of using a ruse is very common. They stop people for things like following too closely, having a head lamp with some dirt on it, things like that as a ruse, which constitutionally is allowed.
Speaker 1: On March eighth, twenty sixteen, Dante Deshaun were traveling down Ice seventy in their Hyundai with Nimbata plates, while the Lexus had only one California plate on the front. Officer Nicholas Blake later testified that he believed that the two cars were working in tandem to transport drugs, with one car carrying the load while the other played the decoy meant to draw law enforcement away from the drugs, but which was which in this officer's imagination. He pulled over to Shaun and Dante, presenting his ruse as a reason for the.
Speaker 2: Stop getting pulled over for having dirt on a license plate on Ice seventy right, just actual rod grid dirt on a license plate is pretty wild. I was a passenger in the v the driver he got a ticket for small amount of marijuana and a Swisher wrapper.
Speaker 3: Simple possession of marijuana and Kansas as a misdemeanor. The officer suspected that the particular vehicle was connected to another vehicle, and rather than arrest them, they let him go and with.
Speaker 2: The state alleged. Right, it was a decoy load car, right, And when you think a decoy load car, you think it like smoky in a bandit, Right, You kind of think of something that's someone that's going to deviate off to kind of let.
Speaker 1: The drugs go.
Speaker 2: But really, when we got put over by the officer, you told us to exit off the next exit. We got off, went to the Shell gas station and I started to clean my license plate off, and then we glanced up. We just see these troopers just kind of staring down at us.
Speaker 1: Right, Perhaps they were alerted to a potential drug bust, only to be sorely disappointed. And if there was anything to this decoy load car theory, wouldn't Dantean Deshaun's car have had something deliberately wrong with it.
Speaker 2: They could read the licen plate to see who the car was registered. You think the decoy car? What were they saying that we put dirt on the license plate in order to get pulled over so the drugs could get away?
Speaker 1: Is that? I don't know. The missing rear license plate on the Lexus seems like a way more compelling reason to pull someone over. It would stand to reason, after all, that the officer believed that the Lexus was the decoy. But when the officer found no load in the alleged load car to Shaun's Hunday, somehow he held onto the theory and continued his pursuit. However, it did not help matters any When both cars arrived at Jacob Gadwood's apartment, Officer Blake had pulled the address from Deshaun and Dante's GPS and alerted the police in Manhattan, Kansas.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, we get near Kansas State University, going to meet a guy that I thought was someone I knew right and just went upstairs in the twenty minutes later, I came down the stairs to kind of greet the guys that I traveled with, they went upstairs. As soon as I get down to the parking lot, this guy pops out and playing clothes and was like, hey, you're being I was like being detained for what We just got put over over the freeway for having the dirt on our license plate.
Speaker 1: So it turned out that although Dante and Deshaun had no idea, there was reason to suspect. Victor Lara, Enriquehnejosa and Jose Jimenez, who was skated out of a back window of Goadwood's apartment, left in their Lexus and later were captured in Tapeka, Kansas, with a small amount of methamphetamine and over six and a half pounds of cannabis. Meanwhile, the police searched Jacob Godwood's apartment.
Speaker 3: The owner of the apartment the allegation was had his own drugs at the apartment. They basically got that individual to identify Dante as being involved, even though the drugs were found in another car that he was not in.
Speaker 2: The person at the apartment said, Hey, I was going to buy a pound a weed off Dante, right. It wasn't like oh text messages there wasn't any any other evidence, right, and we ended up going to jail and the fight began.
Speaker 3: In Kansas for certain drug offence is there all the way up to level one, which is the same as first degree murder, And if you're charge of the level through drag offens for marijuana, you can get a presumptive sentence of up to one hundred and three months. And if you'll also happen to be within a thousand feet of a school, and often in the Midwest almost everything is within the thousand feet of school property somewhere, and they enhance that another level of the crime. But if you kill somebody in the heat of passion at that time it was sixty one months, we have laws that make conspiracy to deliver a pound of marijuana or delivering a pound in marijuana more serious than killing someone in the heat of passion. That's just nuts. But nobody in our conservative state wants to necessarily stand up and say that at least not enough people that we can have our laws changed.
Speaker 1: Laws like these make it so that the smartest play for the guys in the Lexus is taking a plea deal.
Speaker 2: Victor Lauri ed up going to prison a couple of those guys got probation. They took plea deals right because they didn't want to go to a jury trial.
Speaker 3: People cannot be punished by exercising the right to a jury trial in theory, But what happens is people who take a deal can get a bit a fit and the person that goes to trial, even though they're theoretically not being punished for going to trial, the end result often is the person that goes to trial and get convicted will get a longer sentence than the person that inners a plea.
Speaker 1: With these dynamics at play, taking a plea can also be the most practical move. Brendan is a person like the Shawn Perkins.
Speaker 2: He ended up going to prison for three years and he lost his scholarship and has beautiful family now. Great dudes still stay in contact with him. In just so fortunate man like, and I'm the only defendant that went to a jury trial. It's not like I had any good offers or anything like that. And quite frankly, I didn't even want to take anything. I'd rather just take my chances at the jury trial.
Speaker 1: With Gadwood's word as the sole evidence against him. Dante was charged with possession and conspiracy to distribute the small amount of methamphetamine and one of the pounds of marijuana that were found in the lexus, and of course, his grandmother and younger brothers were absolutely devastated.
Speaker 2: All I can think about is my two younger brothers that were back home eight nine years old at the time. Had to make an unfortunate call to my grandmother and I literally just told her I was locked up, and she couldn't believe it, broke down crying. She was from Texas and she was just really worried about what could happen because growing up she's seen so many people, including my mother. Really didn't know. My mother never met my father, and she just knew how the criminal justice system can do you sometimes, right, especially if you're kind of far away from home, and she ended up passing away.
Speaker 1: Your grandmother died during.
Speaker 2: The trial, Yeah, yeah, I during the trial of a broken heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of a.
Speaker 2: Broken heart had a heart attack, and my world just crashed. And I think that's the biggest issue, just people that get separated for the families. I was fortunate enough to get out on bail and get back to my younger brothers and just to see all the things that they're going through. It really just woke my mind up how you'll never get time back for the people you love. So I ended up hiring a lawyer, and I flew out the week of jury trial February of twenty seventeen, and I met with the council and he told me, he was like, Dante, I didn't read your case, but I have a motion here. I'm going to file a continuance for jury trial. It's not because of you, It's because I had a virus. Here's my doctor's note, and I'm a presented to the judge and we should be able to get some time.
Speaker 3: Some lawyers operate on what they call flat fee. You pay me X amount of money all representing in this case. Other lawyers do it by the hour. Contingency fees are not legal in a criminal case in Kansas. But the problem with the flat fee is the lawyer's getting X amount of money regardless of how much time's put in. But just human nature, if I've got a case and it might get resolved, I'm not necessarily going to want to put a lot of time into it until I have to write and the file. In this case clearly indicated that a lot of the motions were filed towards the end of the case. In other words, everybody else is pled out, and then you see a flurry of motions right before trial. So it looked like a lot of preparation was happening just before trial. And the lawyer was sick, and there was a comment made about the doctor's note and.
Speaker 2: End up going to that motion hearing with that attorney, and that motion ultimately got denied and I had to go to trial the next day when not so prepared counsel. And it was super unfortunate on that.
Speaker 1: I've never heard that before, either a doctor's note, Your lawyer's got a doctor's note? What is he missing gym class? And then the judge doesn't bother to give a continuance and his reason.
Speaker 2: Was that he had the case out for a year and you didn't read any of it. It's just not excuse and had to go to jury trial.
Speaker 1: And so trial went forward with what appears to be a built in violation of Dante's right to effective council. Meanwhile, the state presented several officers that claimed packaging material from inside Godwod's apartment match materials found inside the lexus. And even though Godwould escaped any kind of accountability, officers and the prosecutor claimed that Godwould had not received leniency in exchange for testimony. And then Godwood took the stand.
Speaker 2: The state's aformant went on standard testified that he was going to buy a pound of marijuana from me, and I eventually got found guilty of the pound of marijuana.
Speaker 1: And also, do you weren't called selling it? This is only that this character said that you were planning to sell it to him, right, right, So it's a thought crime.
Speaker 2: And on the way to sentencing, fifteen minutes from their airport, just seeing my younger brothers crying in the back seat and feel like they lost everybody. That kind of just woke my brain up. And going out there to that sentencing learning that ninety five percent of people across the state of Kansas cape probation and I had a host of people support me, you know's no criminal history, and ultimately many just sentenced me to seven years a months for a first time offense.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Wrongful Conviction. You can listen to this and all the Lava for Good podcasts one week early and ad free by subscribing to Lava for Good plus on Apple podcasts.
Speaker 2: As I got into the reception area of Valdeto and other persons I went to, we would see these lifers and they had various crimes that they allegedly committed, and they would fight for their innocence and it was just so inspiring to see. And I said, if I could put that fight towards the cannabis offense and whether it be the pill, I try to work on the pill end.
Speaker 1: Up losing it.
Speaker 2: But if I could put that effort in time and those lifers, I felt like, if I fought my way as much as I could, I would fulfill my promise. Right, if I worked as hard as I can every day to try to come home to my younger brothers.
Speaker 1: They were just young kids, right, What were there nine ten years old when this happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were babies at the time that happened. You know, I had to pick a foster family form. It happens across America all the time.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: People just get separated from their families. And I think that gave me that motivation every day to kind of get up five thirty breakfasts, get to the law library early in the morning and to try to educate myself, just like those lifer guys would do. Then, after I lost that direct appeal, and I was thinking, like, I'm going to get this clemency. I wrote one hundred and twenty five state reps. I wrote forty senators. Four people wrote me back. A state rep by the name of Willie Debb but actually came and see me during COVID. The Kansas City Star picked it up. It was getting real good publicity. I'm thinking, I'm gonna get this clemency. Right, Mayor of La stepped in former Congresswoman Karen Bass. And it was around the time of legalization of Missouri cannabis. Right, And first two days it sales out. And then you got a guy like me, first time of fence, serving nearly eight years for pound of marijuana.
Speaker 1: Pound of marijuana that you didn't touch, didn't have, it didn't sell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it didn't say I mean allegedly there was no money found. Right, someone said they're gonna buy a pound of marijuana. But it wasn't even no money found in the house. It was in another car. I mean, even my code offend and admitted to later on in Affidavid that you know I had no knowledge of it.
Speaker 1: Victor Lara wrote in an affid David, and this is a direct quote. Dante at no point had knowledge of the marijuana that was in my car. Dante and I were on separate trips in the same direction. The only reason I stopped at Gadwood's house was to take a shower before I went to my final destination. End quote. And this became part of a habeas petition that Dante wrote but had yet to file, just as Chris Biggs was being assigned as his counsel.
Speaker 2: Thank god, man he was appointed to me. Even asked me, you put this together right, And he was surprised and he was like, man, I got to put my law degree on it and fix some errors on it as well, but you have a chance to go home. And I was like, man, I didn't believe you. And Chris told me KYLEI. He said, I'm an older guy. I wouldn't drive this far. I could have just sent you a letter if I didn't think you had a chance.
Speaker 1: In addition to the obvious ineffective assistants claim, Chris was also able to uncover a Brady violation.
Speaker 3: When I read through the transcripts, it was obvious to me when this informant testified that it was peculiar because he had drugs in the apartment. He testified freely, he did not have a lawyer. There was no grant of immunity that was presented to the defense by the state to show what kind of immunity he got, and there was no plea agreement to show what kind of deal he got. And in this kind of case where the only real evidence introduced was the testimony of one person, if the state fails to disclose things that could affect his credibility, that can be grounds for a new trial. And what I did is I simply called the person who was the informant and I asked him, I said, you get any kind of deal? He said, well, yeah, he worked off his cases which were never filed, and as it turns out, he even had a confidential informant number, and none of that was disclosed to the defense in the case, and in fact a trial, he testified that he didn't have a deal, and the prosecutor argued to the jury that there was no deal, and.
Speaker 1: Then at least one of the cops got on the stand and swore under oath that no deal was made.
Speaker 3: If by saying there was no deal, he got no formal plea agreement, that may be true, because he never did.
Speaker 1: It's more like a wink and a nod. Huh.
Speaker 3: Well, And in my motion I said, we have a right to know of any deal, whether it's just a wink in or nod or a tacit understanding. But aparently the confidential informant agreement had been destroyed, so we didn't have the contract with the police department to see what the specifics were, but we knew that he had a confidential informant number, which meant that there was some kind of agreement. And if the case was that he got something for testifying, there's a special instruction you get in Kansas that says view this person's testimony with caution. And so that instruction was not requested and was not given. I think it could have had a great impact on the outcome of the trial. So bottom line is he got a trial whereby admittedly his lawyer was not prepared. He gave medical reasons for that, but was forced to go to trial, and then we had this problem with evidence that was not discloded about benefits given to a critical witness.
Speaker 1: Then Chris asked the newly elected prosecutor to look into what kind of a deal Gad would have gotten.
Speaker 3: I called the prosecutor's office. I didn't tell him initially, I had already talked to the informant. But when they did a check, they found out that he had an informant number. They disclosed that to me, I think it says a lot about the elected official that he was willing to entertain my arguments. Listen to me, go back and look at the record, and made sure that they contacted people the police department to find out what the story was with this particular witness, and once it was disclosed, then agreeing to let him out of prison, and then ultimately they just missed the charges.
Speaker 1: I know, we don't hear these kind of things happen often enough on the show, but occasionally the right thing is done without years or decades of unnecessary, pig headed and cruel pushback. So, as a result, Dante was released on October fifteenth, twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: I just want to command Chris Man. He really went in there, worked hard with the DA. He didn't even think he was going to happen, right, because he'll talk about how rarely the step happens. My outdated was twenty twenty five. I'm not even supposed to be on this podcast, right, But I've just super thankful for this integrity of the prosecution and definitely Chris just kind of working hard.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: You got to have the right people in a position of authority that can make good decisions. I was a prosecutor for a lot of years and my motto was kind of I'd rather lose for the right reasons than win for the wrong ones, and I always considered a fair trial to be the goal. This prosecutor clearly wanted to follow the law and do the right thing, and they released him from prison based on our allegations in our amended motion, and I think they deserve credit for that. Now, if we had someone else there, they could have forced a retrial, but it would have been a retrial with proper instructions.
Speaker 1: Which would have meant cautioning the jury about the credibility of the only witness in this case. So Dante was finally able to be the big brother again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just being released, it was just life changing, man, And just being home finally get to fly back and hug my brothers for the first time.
Speaker 1: They cried.
Speaker 2: It was just a sense of relief. Man, just while you're in prison, it really makes you appreciate every single day time accept that you can't get back. So when I got out, my brothers were in high school. One as a senior now playing football, trying to get him a scholarship he wants to continue to play defensive back. And my other one, I was able to fortunate enough to work really hard and put him through college. He's a freshman all as studying business right here in UMKC. And I'm just super thankful when I was able to come home provide get some money, and it hit my goal right of just kind of putting my brothers through college. I wouldn't have been able to do that if I was locked up, man, And I'm just so fortunate and so thankful I'm able to do that. When you get out of prison, you don't get out with no money right to take care of two young boys in California where it's so expensive. I had the opportunity to go work in Kansas City and my story got pretty big and met my dear friend Nate Ruby. He hired me as one of his first employees, made me an executive as well, and taught me everything I knew about the cannabis industry.
Speaker 1: Yes, the irony is real. Dante was wrong, hopefully incarcerated for cannabis, only to emerge and succeed in a business that is now legal and completely new to him.
Speaker 2: I met a guy, like I said before, named Nate Ruby. He's the owner of Elissa Gardens from the Earth Dispensaries out here in Kansas City, Missouri. And he hit me in a DM and knew the guy that told ONMI. And he said, man, come work for me, be one of the first employees, and I would get up every morning with them, bright and early. He would just tag me along these finance meetings. I didn't know what was going on, but he said, just sit in and listen and just take notes and eventually it makes sense like it did for you while he was in prison. And it did, and he was able to give me a brand that I was able to get back to prisoners that are locked up in Kansas and around the Midwest and the Southern States. Where a person that buys my particular jar, they get a percentage of the proceeds to the commissary count so they could talk to their family, buy hygiene items, get food, commissary stamps the envelopes, anything they need to succeed.
Speaker 1: Right, And this isn't the only way Dante's getting involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Man, I have a key associated for the Last Curvesoner project, and we really just work on passing legislation for cannabis, go on to state level and kind of work with key stakeholders on trying to get people released, getting letters, a recommendation of a shorter sentence, working with the attorneys, whether it's presentation at the parole board, filing for the executive clemency, or testifying on the state or federal level. Which is why legislations should be passed.
Speaker 1: And by the way, Dante and I were working on a case together in Louisiana with Kevin Allen who's was sentenced to life without parole for possession of the two grams of marijuana, which just you know, for people, that's one joint, if it's a decent sized joint, that's incredible.
Speaker 2: Jason mentioned Kevin Allen, kind of guy in Kansas day Antonio White serving nearly twelve years in prison for a few pounds of marijuana is traveling through the interstate.
Speaker 1: There's still forty thousand people plus, I believe to this day in a stealing concrete cage right now in America for pot.
Speaker 2: Good thing about the time. Now, we have a great governor in Kansas, Laura Kelly, and she's made mentioned of people shouldn't be in prison more than you and I for cannabis. Right, So this is our last term and just looking forward to her taking a second look at somebody's cases and making a time that fits the crime. I feel like times are changing and we're looking forward to helping more people.
Speaker 1: So we will be linking Last Prisoner Project as well as your line of cannabis where part of the proceeds go to prisoners who are still casualties, still serving time, casualties of the War on drugs. And with that we're going to go to closing arguments. Well, first, I'm going to thank you both for joining us here today, and now I'm just going to kick back in my chair and listen to anything else. Do you feel as left to be said? Let's start with Chris and then Dante you close it out.
Speaker 3: Well, I would just point out kind of big picture that in society. We make choices every day about what society is supposed to look like, and sometimes legislators and the government's a little slow to respect. I mean, we had prohibition, which tells me at some point in time there was enough political support to control the distribution of alcohol. We put a lot of resources into trying to control cannabis over the years in different states, and we're starting to see it change, and I think there just needs to be a recognition that issue is out there and it's a very big issue, and I'm hopeful that people will continue to have open and honest discussions about it so that decriminalization can occur in more places. If you're hopping down I seventy, you're going to go from one state to another without necessarily knowing what the laws are. People like Dante get caught in the gap. This is where these unfortunate stories come from. So I just hope people will continue to have the conversation and collect the evidence and review it so that things that make sense can start happening. I mean, I don't think there's anybody that would think that possession of marijuana or even distribution of the amounts we're talking about should ever result in a higher sentence than someone hurting someone with a dangerous weapon to the point where they could lose their life or actually allong somebody in the heat of passion. That just makes no sense whatsoever. And I don't think people really understand that until they fall into the net, so to speak. And I think in a lot of places we've been casting much too broaden net. And the other part of it is, it doesn't matter what kind of system you have set up. You have to have good people that care and want to do the right thing at every level, and that affects what can happen any system.
Speaker 2: I just want to encourage whoever's listening to it is the same people that are wealthy that pay for these lobbyists in each state that make cannabis legal so they can own a retail and cultivation and manufacturing facilities, should be the same people lobbying to get re sentencing for people that are locked up for a significant amount of time in marijuana. Let's put the same energy into resetting these folks, dig it into these cases and helping people that are serving a crazy amount of time for marijuana right now, violent offenders. I think that's very doable, and I think that's a fair ass from if you're a Republican Democratic really doesn't matter. What's right is what's right, especially if you've got any type of form of legalization that should definitely happen.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Wrongful Conviction. You can listen to this and all the Lava for Good podcasts one week early by subscribing to Lava for Good Plus on Apple Podcasts. I want to thank our production team, Connor Hall and Kathleen Fink, as well as my fellow executive producers Jeff Kempler, Kevin Wartis, and Jeff Cliburn. The music in this production was supplied by three time OSCAR nominated composer Jay Ralph. Be sure to follow us across all social media platforms at Lava for Good and at Wrongful Conviction. You can also follow me on Instagram at It's Jason Flamm. Wrongful Conviction is a production of Lava for Good Podcasts and association with Signal Company Number one
Speaker 3: Yeah