Speaker 1: Welcome in to Bears Weekly, powered by IGS Energy, a Chicago Bears Network production. Bears Weekly is brought to you by Advocate Healthcare, Athletico Physical Therapy, CD Kellaghy, Connie's.
Speaker 2: Pizza, IGS Energy, and Meta Lived. Here are your hosts, Jeff chiliact aka the Mayor of Bearsville and his sidekick, Tom the Surfmaster.
Speaker 3: Thayer training camp starts in just over a month, and to tell you the truth, we can't wait. This is Bears Weekly at ESPN one thousand on the Chicago Bears Radio Network with Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Thayer. We're joined by the former Bears quarterback Jim Miller from sirius XM NFL Radio.
Speaker 4: I'm Jeff Joniac. Coming off of the program.
Speaker 3: We visit with second year offensive lineman Karanamagaji, Dan Berrilli, Jordan tread Up and Katie Fox are producers and the executive producer of the Bears Radio Network, Eric Ostrowski. Fellas they tell you not to peak too soon, right, That's always the thing.
Speaker 4: I'm peaking. I'm jacked so much.
Speaker 3: We don't know about what it would look like, but so much that we hope it is what we think it might look like. And I know it's a long way to go, and it's a long, preseason long training camp, but do you share in my genuine organic excitement about the twenty twenty five Bears?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: For me, I think if you make a checklist of what you want to see out of training camp, it goes from coaching staff to players to assistant coaches. And I don't think that we've been in this excited to go through that checklist throughout the process of training camp. Now, once the schedule is out, you kind of get a feel of how they're going to go about their business, the days that you have to prioritize your effort when you look at the full pads, and then some of the meaningful practices behind the mental side of it.
Speaker 4: When you look at shells or helmet.
Speaker 5: So there's a big checklist here of people, coaches and different scenarios that you want to see unfold with hope.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a lot on that list.
Speaker 7: Is I'm just said, But I think when you're trying to reach your final destination or reach your goal, there's a lot of things that have to happen, a lot of things have to be in place, and all those check marks have to be fulfilled, you know, So whether it's coaches, it's the players execution, you know, and for the fans to fans for Like you said, Jeff, everybody has this vision of what it can be and what they believe it will be. But in order to make that happen, a lot of things have to come together and everybody as a whole has to be doing the work involved to reach that goal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got to be healthy, right.
Speaker 3: I just saw a big study done by I think it's the doctor that's on with you guys on serious.
Speaker 4: XM, David Chow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did a whole analysis of everybody's injuries last season. It just came out here earlier today. And of course Baltimore with they over the years have had a lot of injury issues that may have hurt them in the run game or whatever the position may be. They were the healthiest team by far in the NFL last season and they're a complete football team and he feels they will be a super Bowl contender and they should be with Lamar Jackson and that defense. Just the opposite you got San Francisco just riddled with injuries. Carolina had a lot of injuries. So he's if these teams X, Y, and Z stay healthy, they should be a better team.
Speaker 4: And that would go for the Bears as well.
Speaker 3: Obviously, the offensive line experienced a lot of injuries last season. Tom, they got to stay healthy this year. We need as much continuity up front as possible.
Speaker 5: But if there was a perfect plan in place of how to keep a team healthy, every single team would be doing that.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: Because you had a healthy year, do you think that's the template of success and that's the way you're going to go about business until further notice? Or if you had a lot of injuries, are you going to kind of change the process and the tempo that you practice at to maybe try to save some guys. You got to look at the guys that have been injured. Have they been injured before? There's a couple guys on my checklists that gets seem to get injured each and every year from other teams around the league in it no matter what you do, something happens to them. And then you have to start looking at the bodies. Okay, do I have a guy that's weighing in at two sixty, But really, if he was a normal walking human being, on the streets that he would be two twenty five, and then he's got his body wound so tightly that you can't have the fatigue and the physicality of the game and everything that you need in order to be that guy that's relied upon for sixty to seventy five reps a game. Can they take it? So there's a lot of different factors that come into play when you look at some of these guys, some of their injuries, and the teams, the way they go about business.
Speaker 3: Jim Can I ask you a question real quick, Jimmy, because you always embrace. You go to Latrobe, you watch the Steelers practice, and those are those are very physical practices. They're tackling to the ground. You know, they can only up be in so many days of pads. That's the league rule, of the Union rule.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Is there any criticism that though, as you get to at the end of a seventeen game season, because if you guys, remember they had physical practices by the end of the season, I always recall the conversation, well, maybe they overdid it early in the season and it wore them down. They didn't have enough legs to finish a season. I don't know if you guys buy into that. Jimmy, what do you think about especially with the Pittsburgh thing.
Speaker 6: I think there's a balance.
Speaker 7: I think Pittsburgh uses it as a competitive advantage. I do they are much more physical than teams other teams that start the season.
Speaker 6: But there's a balance. There's always a balance in it.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: A coach has got to know.
Speaker 7: Hey, got a lot of guys are banged up right now, we got some bumps and bruises. Let's back off a little bit. But to Tom's point, there are things you can do as a team that can collectively help or hurt the team. Say you're doing an exercise in the weight room where maybe you get a lot of hamstring issues. You know, so the team has to look at how they're working out players, and then the player has to look at himself and say, hey, I need to do this to keep myself on the field. I'll give you a case in point and give the example to a tongue of Iola two years ago said all right, I'm going to run less with the ball and took jiu jitsu and did all these things to defend himself. Last year, Pat and I do the training companies, he got leaner, he lost weight. Oh, I'm going to run with the ball more. That's a bad idea for to think that. Okay, he ran literally eleven times, he fumbled seven of them. Number one and two. He missed the season because of concussions. He's got to know what he can and cannot do to protect himself as a player and not put himself in harm's way. And then, like Tom said, certainly there's going to be ebbs and flows to the season. Injuries are going to happen, and the ball has to bounce your ways, so to speak, in certain things.
Speaker 6: But you need to do.
Speaker 7: Not only collectively as a team, but individually as a player everything you can to be available on Sunday for your team to win.
Speaker 5: So when I went to the USFL, we had no preseason games, we had eighteen regular season game games, and I was playing for George Allen. The same conversation infiltrated our locker room. Because we never hit, we rarely had contact, but we were on the practice field for a minimum of three hours. And so now the conversation at the end of the year, when we made it to the USFL championship game, we made it to the playoffs, and it was about fatigue, too much time on our feet. Yeah we're not physical, but we're tired from standing out there so long. So if you win the Super Bowl, man, you're doing everything right.
Speaker 4: And this is the way to do everything. This is the blueprint of success.
Speaker 5: If you get beaten the Super Bowl or you don't make the playoffs because you're a little tired at the end of the year, that's the wrong way to do it. Listen, football is a sport that demands allowed a lot out of every person, from coaches to players. There is no perfect, perfect formula of success. It's about if you're lucky enough to have a season that you're rosters healthy, or you're unfortunate where you have a season where you have a lot of injuries. That's the great game of football.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's all delegated.
Speaker 7: Now. You only have like fifteen practices in pads during the year, so you better get your physicality, your foundation, that base. Like what Mike Tomlin does for the Steelers, he sets the tone early for them. Football players play football on Sunday. That's what they're paid to do in order to get better at playing football. It's played in pads. It's played in pads, okay, and so you better delegate those fifteen practices that you do get. If your team's not physical enough, you better utilize them early. If you're too physical and guys are banged up, then you back off of it. But you need to utilize them when necessary. It is football at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: Coming up, we visit with second year offensive lineman Kuran I'm a Gaji. That's next on Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: You were tuned into a Bears Week with Jeff Joniac on the Bears Radio Network. Well, welcome back to Bears Weekly on the Bears Radio Network. Here's your host, the voice of the Bears, Chef Jonact.
Speaker 3: This segment of Bears Weekly has brought to you by Athletical Physical Therapy. Visit Athletico dot com, the request at in clinic or virtual deppointment at start feeling better tomorrow. Jeff, Tom and Jim here on Bears Weekly on your Thursday night. So, coming out of the break, I mentioned the running back groom and let's dive in. So DeAndre Swift average fifty six point four yards per game last season and just three seven nine to carry with six touchdowns. Roshan missed three games, just fifty five carries. He had six rushing touchdowns under three yards per average. Obviously, the running game wasn't what the Bears had hoped it was.
Speaker 4: DeAndre got close to one thousand yards rushing.
Speaker 3: He's had twenty nine rushing touchdowns in his career, scoring at least five every seasons.
Speaker 4: And so let's just begin with those two.
Speaker 3: When he can think about the one to two punch that Detroit had Tommy up there in Detroit with Ben Johnson, I hate to keep alluding to it, but we're going to use it as reference. What can they expect out of this running scheme? What we know at this early age without seeing training camp with Dan Rochhar on the running game.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I always think of running backs as a three down running back. What can they do on first, second, third down? But Ben Johnson said something really early in his time here with the Bears. He said, he's got to find a running back that's willing to get the dirty yards. And I think that you can't overemphasize that because there's a lot more dirty yards to be had in the NFL. Than there are those fifty and sixty yard explosive plays. So if you're willing to take your body size, your structure, lower your shoulder pads, hit into the line of scrimmage with a two yard running start, you'll probably get an extra two and a half yards after contact. And so I'm not looking for unrealistic stats out of this running back group. I need four yards to carry out of the offensive running game. So when you look at these guys, they all have what it's going to take, but it's going to be about their evaluation of what's required of them on the down and distance that they're specifically in the huddle for. And that's what you're going to an indicator of who is going to be at the top of the list and how you filter it down.
Speaker 7: I don't want him dancing. I don't want to wasting time. Like Tom said, get what you can get, go north and south. Some guys try to manufacture and do too much, follow and trust the blocks in front of you.
Speaker 6: It should be improved with.
Speaker 7: The offensive line that the Bears have put together this offseason, and those guys got to get yardage. It's going to help other areas of your offense.
Speaker 4: For play action outstanding in the screen game.
Speaker 3: I think you'll hit the rails and it rip uffs some big runs in this offense as well. His first three seasons complimentary back, I think he had four starts in the first couple of years. Now in his last thirty two games where he was more of the ball carry number one ball carrier, four hundred and eighty two carries, eleven touchdowns plus eighty one catches. Remember he was the thirty fifth pick in the twenty draft DeAndre Swift.
Speaker 4: Now let's talk about Roshan.
Speaker 3: I love how he was a battering ram Tommy in twenty twenty three, six feet two twenty five. I'm sure he's even worked on his body even more here in the last couple of years and every his third year. Five hundred and sixty one total yards as a complimentary back in that twenty three season, and he led the Bear running backs in offensive snaps with three hundred and ninety five, adding another one hundred and fifty two special team snaps overall, and impressive two point fifty four after the catch in his rookie season.
Speaker 4: That's seven and a half yards per catch per route.
Speaker 5: You know one thing about rochan Johnson is the most difficult thing for a running back is to learn how to block, and he doesn't really need to be taught that because he's probably one of the best blockers the Bears have on the roster right now. But we'll see from some of the young guys they brought aboard. And one thing about that I always like about Rochan Johnson. You talked about DeAndre swifty and great in the screen game, Rochean Johnson is more of a quarterback protector on the interior of the line of scrimmage, and he's really got good outlet instincts, so he can catch the ball in between the tackles and then get something out of that. And so Rochan is a different type of a back than you're going to get out of DeAndre Swift. But he does some of the more difficult things really well. And he kind of started to develop a relationship with Caleb Williams of understanding he could be a late outlet option in this offense. And I think that's going to be interesting for a coach the enemy to take a look at what Rochan offers this offense that may be different than DeAndre and.
Speaker 4: The rest of the guys yeah, I agree.
Speaker 7: DeAndre does do more in space, but I think Rochan is a little bit more specific specifically, go line. I don't want the ball handed to Doug Kramer. Give it to Roshan Johnson, all right, he's the bigger back who can pound it in there. Short guardage situations. Give it to Rochan. I don't care. I don't think Tom cares. If everybody in the stadium knows that Roshan's getting the ball, if everybody does their job, he should be able to get one yard. Okay, slow middle screens like what Tom said, those plays are ideal for Rochan. It's still a passing play. It's a screen, but you can muscle it up in the offensive line and get Donald field and Roachan is.
Speaker 6: Very good in that area picking up blitzes. Rochean.
Speaker 7: He can be a bowling ball with a nickelback coming off the edge. Cut Rochan on him. Hey man, that guy will stonewall anybody coming off the edge. There are things that he can do well and how he needs to be utilized and like and I like his juice when he's in a game, he kind of I don't want to say it's his attitude, but with his energy with his physicality, it raises the level of play everybody. In my opinion, it inspires guys. I like that about Roachon.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they were a couple couple of games where he put guys on their back and he is fiery and very much that way. Ian Wheeler in college obviously was the hammer and never really the nail. In college, he ran with attitude and violence, and we saw what he could bring to the table in the preseason last year with speed as well. Tom I know he suffered the ACL injury. It tore him up big time, but he's back. We interviewed him, we'll hear from him in a couple of weeks on this show. But he's got a great attitude, another pickback and just untap potential.
Speaker 4: What do you think about Ian?
Speaker 5: One thing I like about Ian has got innate ability to see and visualize how the hole is going to open up. And he's the type of guy that he can make interior moves inside the line of scrimmage to make a linebacker miss or get that important extra two to four yards after contact. I like Ian Wheeler. I like the you know, his excitement, that his ability to go out there and compete and I don't think there's you can't you put him in a running back room and you make the running back room more competitive. You don't ever put him in a room in a position room and think, oh, my position room didn't get any better. I think if you increase the competition, it means a lot for every one of those guys. But I still like what I've seen out of Ian Wheeler in training camp last year.
Speaker 7: This guy's a jitterbug. He obviously has a ton of speed. You know, you can utilize him in certain situations sprint draws, space plays, wide receiver screens when you split him out motion them out of the backfield.
Speaker 6: I think those are the.
Speaker 7: Best assets of Ian Wheeler because his speed is second to none, where he kind of just destroys angles of defenders, and so he's a different rink. He's a different wrinkle that they can use out of the backfield.
Speaker 3: And so is Kyle Manungai can't wait to watch him in preseason. Here, seventh round pick out of Rutgers five nine to two oh nine, led the Big Ten and rushing in twenty three. Second behind I I was Caleb Johnson in twenty twenty four and led the conference in rushing attempts with two fifty six, also was on punt block, he was on kick coverage.
Speaker 4: He was on punt coverage. And this quote I found in a story. I don't know who.
Speaker 3: Wrote it, but I had copied the quote. Be competitive around the guys around me in the room. That's what I like to show them. There's no chill chill way, no cool chill way.
Speaker 4: To go about it.
Speaker 3: You just got to be on the edge of your seat at all times and to show them, not that I've done everything that I want to do, but if you want to get to where you want to get to, that's the type of urgency and the type of mentality.
Speaker 4: Have to take to do things.
Speaker 3: And I think Tom that underscore is the competitive aspect that you just said about, you know, Wheeler. I think we're going to see it firsthand from Kyle Manungai, who also is a stellar pass protector at least he was in the Big ten.
Speaker 5: Well, Manungue, how long does it take you to make to tell yourself that you belong? I can remember in going up against the eighty five defense in nine on seven in practice, in the first couple plays, Jeff I thought there's no way I can do this. I can't even catch these guys. Singletary is five steps laterally before I can even get to the thing, and then all of a sudden the process starts slowing down. Then all of a sudden, you do one thing well and you kind of make yourself believe I can do this, And then you got to make sure that that infiltrates your mind. And Manunguy, once he sits out there and he sees TJ. Edwards across from him, he sees Tremaine Edmunds across from He's got to make sure that he doesn't get intimidated that he doesn't know if he can block these guys, because you're going to have those guys facing you every team across the NFL board. But as soon as you feel that you belong, then you're starting to make that most important first step to allow him to believe everything he's done he can compete.
Speaker 7: Jim.
Speaker 4: He's a Jersey kid. Man, He's a Jersey kid. He comes in building up, built for that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, manung guy should believe. Because the running back who got drafted ahead of him, it's Isaiah Pachecko, also from Rutgers.
Speaker 6: He was a seventh rounder.
Speaker 7: That's seventh rounder Isaiah pacheckll He unseated Clyde Edwards Lair, who's the first rounder. Pachecko runs angry. Yeah, you know when I look at who the Bears drafted and there's seventh rounder out of Rutgers, he's an angry dude and he plays angry and everything that he does, he's got a shot.
Speaker 3: Don Bosco prep a powerhouse over there in New Jersey. Excellent vision and patients running the ball.
Speaker 4: All right, we come back.
Speaker 3: We dig in Bears by the Numbers and it's all about Caleb Williams and what to look forward to as it somewhat compares to what happened in Detroit. Jared Goff, It's Bears Weekly on the SPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Net.
Speaker 1: You were listening to Bears Weekly. I'm a Bears Radio Network. Well, welcome back to Bears Weekly. Com a Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Here's your host, the voice of the Bears, Jeff Jody.
Speaker 3: This segment of Bears Weekly has brought to you by Igs Energy. Jeff, Tom and Jim with you as we dig into the Bears by the Numbers. Here, so much to look forward to for Caleb Williams, it was a baptism by fire for him as well. Last year the week to week uncertainty and while they did have the unthinkable skid, they did start four and two.
Speaker 4: And things were looking promising.
Speaker 3: But I want to dig into the finale, the twenty four to twenty two win over Green Bay a stat line of twenty one of twenty nine only one hundred and forty eight yards passing, one touchdown, no interceptions, and one sack. All right, Tom, in this offense, that yardage is going to elevate with the simple fact that we have talked about several times and Bears etc. Bears weekly, We're gonna have yard after the catch, big plays.
Speaker 4: Really that that's what Ben Johnson. And now open up the middle of the field.
Speaker 3: It'll open up the deep passing game as well, that kind of production.
Speaker 5: You know one thing about the quarterbacks job, it's never a one man job. It's how are you being complimented by the segments that you're playing with. Is there consistency on the offensive line and is that group in front of you from the start of padded practices until you get into the regular season, how do you start developing that relationship with Luther Burden and how it does his development compliment Dj Moore and Roma Doonse. Then how does Colston Lovelin come in here and compliment the tight end room When you have multiple tight ends that can play at a high NFL level.
Speaker 4: And that's the one thing about Caleb.
Speaker 5: You put them in the most difficult working atmosphere that last game of the year against Green Bay and he's able to have some control at the line of scrimmage. That is one of the biggest obstacles that he overcame last year. And he's going to understand how to maneuver that crowd noise in those difficult working atmospheres. And then when you get I'm at home and he has more volume control of his offense, and you've got play action, you got under center, and you got all these things that can help a young quarterback develop. I expect his numbers and the positive direction to go up tremendously.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do too.
Speaker 7: I think Ben is going to give him a checklist at the line of scrimmage for every play that he needs to understand. If he goes through his checklist and follows that, you know, follows the instruction of what the coach is looking for. I'll I think he'll have great success. He can't worry about anybody else. He has to trust what his old line is doing. Trust that everybody else is understands their job, and if they don't, that's his job to tell them what to do what their job is. He's got to have the inner working knowledge of everything. But if he does that, he'll know that checklist inside and out and what he's able to do, what he's not able to do to get the Bears in the best play to take advanceage of what they're being presented. I really think Ben Johnson is very disciplined and he is very thorough of what he is going to ask him to do.
Speaker 4: All right, So let's take under center.
Speaker 3: Jared Goff led the NFL in passing from under center, with three hundred and twenty five attempts, completing seventy six percent of his passes twenty three hundred and forty four yards, far and away number one in the NFL, seventeen touchdowns, just four picks and sacks seven times one twenty three point.
Speaker 4: Eight quarterback rating.
Speaker 3: Only nine quarterbacks in the league threw for over one thousand yards for under center, but six of them made the playoffs. Caleb only had eighty nine passing attempts from under a non shotgun throw six hundred and fifty five yards, three touchdowns, two interceptions, eight sacks. So with the desire to have more of a play action passing game and working from under center, I would be very excited if I were Caleb.
Speaker 5: Williams, I would too, because there's a lot more deception that you can use from under center than in a shotgun. When you go a shotgun with that many pass attempts, you're giving kind of a little bit of an indicator to the defense, and then that defensive coordinator knows how to match up personnel against what he's seeing out of the offensive formation. So the first thing, Caleb gets comfortable and under center play action, and now you're creating deception and maybe some hesitation in the front of that defense to put the receivers in a more positive position when Caleb wants to throw the ball.
Speaker 4: So that's what I'm excited to see.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it just creates more conflict of interest, like Tom is referring to, for a defense, if you're running outside zone, outside zone, outside zone, then you come with a boot leg. You cannot do that from shotgun. Yeah, you can run outside zone, but there's no play action fake off of that. Same with inside zone and other run plays, dual plays, gap plays that you call. You can create a lot of conflict of interest for those defensive players and it just opens up so much more of your offense that you'll be able to do that, You'll be able to marry up off of your traditional run game from underneath center.
Speaker 6: It all works hand in hand.
Speaker 3: Those stats, by the way, from Stats Inc. All right, Tommy, tight end attempts, you're big on this. We talked about it the other day. We're trying to forecast how many kicks for cole Comet and Colston level at the tight end position. Last season, the Bears were twenty ninth in total tight end attempts, just twelve percent of the throws. Jared Goff was at ninety nine tight end attempts, so it's only thirty more at eighteen point four percent. So they did throw the ball to the backs and to the wide receivers. And obviously I'm on ross Saint Brown had a lot of targets, so I know.
Speaker 4: You want that number way up.
Speaker 3: I think by virtue of this offense, it will automatically go way up.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it will just because you look at the talent that they have in the tight end room, but you also look at I'm going to keep referring to play action because play action you have the ability to have your tight end being able to help the tackle and then get out on the media and be one of the first or second options in that pass route. So it's not that you can't ask these guys to have double duty on a passing play. You encourage double duty. You give a more secure block to the offensive tackle, and then you still get him out in a route and you get get the ball into the hands of one of these tight ends at four to seven yards and expect another three out of them. You talk about a first down. So I just I want more. I want more tight end.
Speaker 3: And Jimmy one point one percent interception percentage for the year as a rookie, I thought that was fantastic.
Speaker 4: Here's another you only had six picks. But here's another one.
Speaker 3: Forty eight passes were considered passes defense or eight point five percent.
Speaker 4: And that was in five hundred and sixty two throws.
Speaker 3: Anthony Richardson for example, and we know how much difficulty he had. He only threw two hundred and sixty four passes. He had won more passes defense than Caleb did in half of them out of throws at eighteen point six percent, with forty nine on two hundred and sixty four throws.
Speaker 7: Anthony Richardson, he can't identify coverage, you know, and I think teams they can script where you throw the ball. So Anthony Richardson was is a very inaccurate quarterback. So when you're an inaccurate quarterback, what did the defensive coordinators want you to do? They want you to throw the ball down the field because that makes you a more inaccurate passer, and they already know he's inaccurate.
Speaker 4: All right, one more segment to go.
Speaker 3: We get Tom Stotts in segment number five here on Bears Weekly and asked Ben one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: You were tuned into Bears Weekly with Jeff Jony Act on the Bears Radio Network. Fish is Bears Weekly with the voice of the Bears for twenty four years, Cheffon Act chef on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: This segment of Bears Weekly brought to you by I've let to goo physical therapy, visit at Letico dot comra requestion in clinic or virtual appointment at Start feeling better tomorrow, Jeff Joning Act Tom there, Jim Miller our wrap up segment. Tom gets those Tom Stotts going. Jim, you can't stop him. You just can't stop him.
Speaker 4: You hope to contain them as his good friends. Chris Berman, what always say? Tom?
Speaker 3: You have the floor, buddy? What are your What are Tom's thoughts today? If it start in the secondary, You're big on this. You keep talking about YOUA Kwon brisk You keep talking about Tyrek Stevenson.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because they they both have two different obstacles to overcome, and you can't minimize the importance and the overall success of a defense when you look at you Kwon Brisker. Here's a guy that's recovering from a health issue, and he's badly needed in the secondary because he has the ability to be a great player. And I think if you have consistency in the defensive backfield, you give a lot more opportunity in understanding what your defensive coordinator can do to a football team. And then I look at Tyreek Stevenson. I think the conversation of the Hail Mary and Washington is over, but it's still not a non topic of discussion around the football landscape. And Tyreek Stevenson, to me, he's got really I think he's got great ability. I think he's the most physical defensive back the Bears have, but he plays one of the most fragile positions that you can have on a football team. So to me, as we talk about consistency in the offensive line, let's talk about consistency in the defensive.
Speaker 4: Backfield in two of those guys.
Speaker 5: Is the play of Tyreek Stevenson and the on the field opportunity for Jakwan Brisker.
Speaker 3: Now at Jim the top four safeties the Bear on their final year of their contract, so it's going to be an internal competitive thing going on to try and get that next deal either with the team or somebody else. In addition to so that's another important year for your go on Brisker, for sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think for for I think for every player. You're right, not only the contract your players, but this is a new coach, all.
Speaker 3: Right, we got joint practices against Buffalo and Miami. How important will that be for Caleb Williams, Tommy and his growth. By the way, last preseason forty two preseason snaps. I'm wondering also from both of you as a question, b how many snap should he get in the preseason. But Tom, those two practices are vital, aren't they right, Well.
Speaker 5: That's my point of emphasis, and the most important practices in training camp for Caleb is going to be the joint practices against the preseason opponents because you don't know how many game snaps are going to get and you're able to script different scenarios that you want to see Caleb. But also the talent that he's going to be playing against is not as predictable as the thousand reps that you get against the talent that you see every day in OTAs in training camp. So I think it's a super important practices. I hope the conditions aren't rainy like they were last year against Cincinnati. I hope they're dry, perfect conditions because you're bringing two teams and you have that working atmosphere that kind of is more of a challenge to every one of these guys. And I'm just singling out Caleb because it's a little bit different when you're scripting seven on sevens and TeamWorks against an opponent and they are trying to to show things of their own development of their team. So I just think they're two important practices that we need to focus on this training camp.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that'll be a great opportunity for a team who has earned it. So Buffalo has been to the playoffs six out of whatever the last seven years. This will be an opportunity to get the good work in all the areas that Tom's talking about. The starters should get all the reps during the week, I mean, because that's where they get to gel play together against some of the top, top, top competition in the NFL. Then come the game time on Saturday, that's fine, all the backups can get the work then, But that's how you really get all the scripted work that Tom's talking about and all the good situations against an opponent who is worthy and definitely will be a good test for the Bears to see where they're at.
Speaker 3: Ah Jim, you make a great point, as memory serves, because this is the first time the Bears have practiced against two teams. Usually starters don't play in the preseason game.
Speaker 5: Lo Jim said, I would rather have all my starters take all the reps in the joint practices.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, let.
Speaker 5: The backups play in the game, because then you kind of get a two tier Austin evalue, honest evaluation of a practice that means a lot to a game, that means a lot to some of the guys that are fighting for opportunities.
Speaker 4: And you can.
Speaker 7: Script those starters, like like Tom said, in any situation, you want those starters in key situations. You may not see during that game. You may not get a two minute drive, you may not see that, you may not get a goal line period. Well guess what, boys, you're going against the playoff team and goal line period. We need to see it.
Speaker 4: Hey, I don't know if this is the first gym.
Speaker 3: You would know better than Tom and I because you scan the globe in the NFL every day on serious XM.
Speaker 4: But I did.
Speaker 3: All thirty two teams will be practicing against somebody else in this preseason the NFL. Actually, I announced it yesterday, all the different I think that's fantastic.
Speaker 6: I think it is too.
Speaker 7: I think you get great work and it's actually more productive than the preseason games and better yet, I do believe this Tom and Jeff. I think that should be monetized by the NFL. They should have Tom Thayer and Jeff Joniac actually broadcasting that joint scrimmage and they should televise it. Honestly, it's another way it could be in a revenue stream for teams. They could advertise it. Granted, you're still going to go to commercial breaks, but that practice should just roll and you guys are going through every period, whether it's one on one's goal line, period four or two minute drill, four minute drive, and you're just breaking it down for all the fans that are out there, and I think fans would be interested. It'd be more to me, it would be more interesting doing a joint practice and even a preseason game in what they are the areas of focus that teams are like.
Speaker 3: Honestly, we did that against the Rams in Western Illinois.
Speaker 4: We did that. We did that, We did that very thing.
Speaker 5: Let me give you one more USFL example. That's why I think there should be no preason games. We practice against the Oakland Invaders in the morning, packed up the bus and we drove to the Denver Gold practice facility and practice against them in the afternoon. Come on, similar to what twa days were, but we had two practices, two scrimmages in one day against two different teams.
Speaker 4: So it's been done before. That's hilarious and we're gonna end right there. Tom.
Speaker 3: We got to save one of your Tom's thoughts for next week. We got to run. Thank you very much, fellas. That's going to do it for us. The executive producer of the Bears Radio Network is Eric Ostrowski. Thanks to Dan b Really, Jordan Treadab, and Katie Fox for Tom There, Jim Meta, I'm Jeff Joniac. This has been Bears Weekly on the radio home of the Chicago Bears, ESPM Chicago. Have a good night, everybody. Game six of the NBA Finals is coming up next.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to the Chicago Bears Network presentation. The Bears Weekly hosted by the Mayra Bearsville, Jeff Juliac and Surfmaster Tom Thayer podcasts who were available on the Chicago Bears selfishal Ab brought to you by Verizon and Apple Podcasts. Bears Weekly has been brought to you by Miller Life.