Speaker 1: My name is Clay Neukman.
Speaker 2: This is a production of the bear Grease podcast called The bear Grease Render, where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of.
Speaker 1: The actual bear Grease podcast.
Speaker 2: Presented by f h F Gear, American Maid, purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place.
Speaker 1: As we explore.
Speaker 2: We have a very unique episode today. Well, I'm gonna tell you what we gotta cover. There's some stuff we gotta cover. Okay, I'm gonna introduce my guests in just a minute, but we are going to be talking about the podcast so that we did with Evan Felker, did a whole bear Grease podcast on Evan Felker, And if you're if you're new to the bear Grease Render, which is what this is. This is where we talk about the documentary style bear Grease podcast. We're gonna talk something about Evan Felker and the episode we did with him, which I was it had such a good time doing.
Speaker 1: That's number one.
Speaker 2: Number two, we're gonna we are in a historic building right here, a very historic building. I'm not we're gonna go into it pretty quickly here, but we are in the log cabin that was used in Lonesome Dove. We're gonna talk about that. Number three. There's more, yes there, well, there's four.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: We're gonna introduce you to my good friend Justin House from Deep in the Heart of the Ozarks, Newton County, Newton County, YEP. So we're gonna introduce you to Justin he's never been on the podcast. And then we're gonna introduce you either one and only Marshall Bryant.
Speaker 1: Marshall is Oh my god. I don't even know where to start.
Speaker 2: I would if I were introduced to Marshall, I would say, Marshall, tell them what you haven't done. That's where I would start. That's where I started out. But then I've got Bear, John and Josh here, and we're.
Speaker 1: In New Mexico.
Speaker 3: We're in New Mexico.
Speaker 2: We are We're in New Mexico, Black Lake, New Mexico, Black Lake, New Mexico. Yeah, and we've been we're here bear hunting, bear hunting with hounds. We brought our mules all the way from Arkansas and we've been here two days. Well, we've hunted two and a half days and thunderstorms. Yeah, we had some challenges. I hadn't got a barry yet, got one day left. We just came out here for a quick trip. But it's been incredible. Had some incredible mule.
Speaker 3: Rides, amazing country, beautiful.
Speaker 2: Count Yeah, it's just incredible country.
Speaker 1: But Marshall, tell me about what this is. Where are we at?
Speaker 4: Well, we're on John and Charlotte Kimberland's ranch up here in Black Lake, New Mexico. And I run a ranch that we have this country, and I run a ranch down the road, and we're basically an l hunting operation, milldeer hunting operation and eye line hunt quite a bit, and we're trying to bear hunt.
Speaker 5: But yeah, just a really historical cool place.
Speaker 4: Like on Lonesome Dove when they get up to Montana, they come up over the hill with the herd of cattle and there's the cabin on the beautiful lake and stuff.
Speaker 5: That's the cabin we're in.
Speaker 1: This is it right here?
Speaker 5: This is it?
Speaker 2: So at what part in the movie do they make it to Montana? Like, hell, it's been a while. Me and bear this the other day, I didn't finish it.
Speaker 5: It's two thirds three quarters away through the movie probably.
Speaker 1: And so in the movie, there.
Speaker 2: It's confusing because in the movie they're in Montana, but actually it was shot in New Mexico and.
Speaker 1: This structure was built for that. Yeah, this was this was a movie prop.
Speaker 4: Right right, Yeah, and then the Kimberlands came in modeled it, so you know, people could come stay here experience the wrench kind of deal, and yeah, it's just an awesome place.
Speaker 5: Tons of history. This is old, the old hat Creek.
Speaker 4: Wrench that we're on, Okay, historically and it's just.
Speaker 1: Just a cool What year was all the Lonesome Dove stuff shot? Y'all know?
Speaker 3: Nineteen eighty five?
Speaker 5: I think, Jamie, can you pull that up?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I tell you gonna be something I didn't have any I knew I wouldn't have an answer to it.
Speaker 1: Lonesome Dove. Okay, So you know what Del Brisbane.
Speaker 2: I was with Del Brisbee the other day and you're from from Texas bull Rider, Yeah yeah, and he gave me a hard time for not knowing a line from Lonesome Dove. He was he was making fun of my mule or something, and I just I want to dell if he's ever been here.
Speaker 1: I don't think he has.
Speaker 5: You know, he's welcome anytime. He's welcoming time.
Speaker 6: He don't don't invite Dann. He can't come here. He only lives twenty minutes down the road. And it's never invited me over there raising bucking horses, you know, in Texas, not here in.
Speaker 5: Texas, my place in Texas yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but uh what year?
Speaker 7: So shot three?
Speaker 1: Four?
Speaker 7: Five years before that? Probably?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you were like what negative what You're born in ninety seven? Crazy? Wow?
Speaker 1: You were you?
Speaker 3: You weren't even if you listen to the podcast this week, you know that Clay has a fascination with knowing how old?
Speaker 7: Yeah I heard that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you should ask your buddies that you shouldn't ask your Yeah, Evan Felker didn't think.
Speaker 1: So you don't know.
Speaker 4: How old they are, how many cows they got, or how many acres they're on.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Well now I know that about the cattle, but like age, I don't have a problem, so.
Speaker 5: I don't how old am I?
Speaker 1: Well already you already told me.
Speaker 8: Okay, but I'm afraid twenty nine, right, there's nineteen, there's nineteen forty one.
Speaker 3: Just a kid, just a pup.
Speaker 1: Well, Marshall has uh so you. You run this huge ranch.
Speaker 2: I mean this this is like, this is a big ranch and you I want to talk to you about several things.
Speaker 1: Well, shoot, how should we do this? We got so much good stuff.
Speaker 5: To talk about.
Speaker 2: It's a lot that I kind of want to jump in with him, but I'm afraid if we do, we'll never come back. We'll never get out. If there's one thing I've learned about Marshall, once, once you get in there.
Speaker 5: You're in there.
Speaker 2: You never come back out. Because he's so entertaining. He's talking about the podcast first. Then we're going to talk about the podcast first. You're gonna shil horses.
Speaker 5: I mean, why wouldn't you podcast about the podcast first?
Speaker 2: So we Uh No, I think it's fitting for us to do the do the Evan Felker thing here because you know, Evan lives in Oklahoma, got a cow ranch there. He's he's raising and training some really good performance horses. He's really trying to he's really trying to make some good horses out there, and I think they are. There's just something about a guy like Evan that is, uh, you expect something different, But by different, I mean you expect somebody to kind.
Speaker 1: Of be aware of, you know, being well.
Speaker 2: Known, having this great music, and Evan would just be a guy that would just kind of I mean, he's just a humble guy essentially, That's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 5: He'd sit right in this room with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, humble guy and he uh and been through some hard times and not afraid to talk about it. When I first kind of reached out to him and I went through actually Steve Ranella, and I said, do you think Evan would talk to me about all that? And he was like, yeah, yeah, he would, and he did. But I wanted to just ask you guys, so Bear, Justin and Josh all listen to it. Bear, what stood out to you?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, like you already said it, definitely you could tell just by listening to him that he was just a real humble, down to earth guy. I mean, like he's had a lot of success in the country music world. But I thought it was really cool that he's still breaking horses and it's still like doing all the same stuff that he would have always done, Like he's not necessarily let it go to his head. But I thought I thought that the podcast was really cool because I listened to The Troubadors quite a bit, and it was pretty interesting to see his protest of songwriting just because it made sense, Like everything you were talking about is kind of the reason that I feel like a lot of people like The Troubadors, just because it's like really personal, like he puts in like these little details that are like like like a mid July white tail and velvet, you know, like everyone can imagine that scene. But yeah, I thought it was a really interesting podcast and an interesting look behind the scenes, you know.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's appropriate that this comes out this week because on social media there's been this big thing with Charlie Crockett, who's a country music guy, kind of an outsider, never really liked Nashville, and he took he took a shot at what he called bro country this week.
Speaker 1: I love it that I know this. Y'all should think I'm very cool.
Speaker 5: Because talking about that's the first bro.
Speaker 1: In on the country music drama.
Speaker 2: Because Charlie Crockett made a post, it's like maybe specifically calling out a couple of like bro country, which would be like kind of the Nashville radio country music guys. Maybe Yeah, I'm not even gonna say any names, and it was just this like firestorm and and well it was Adcock, a guy with the last name Adcockvin, Gavin Adcock. The kids are listening to him, and uh and Gavitt and Charlie Krockett and they got in this little internet spat and Charlie Crockett sent Gavin Adcock a dozen roses and uh and in the mail. And then Adcock gets on with a dozen roses and says, hey, thanks, Charlie, really appreciate the roses. Sorry that you had to go get a smaller venue because you couldn't sell tickets and we had it just it was like going back and forth. But the whole point of all that is that a guy like Kevin Helker is like he's just kind of unfazed. It's just kind of a real deal. Like you would never I don't think Evan's gonna let me down here. You would never hear Evan Felker in that scenario. Like he's just he's who he is. He kind of doesn't care. And uh, but he is not broke country. No, it's not broke country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's even it's even like his music is country, but it's different. Yeah, you know, I think I think you know, Bear was talking about there are people who can describe things very eloquently, and that's that's one thing. You know, you get people who write books and that kind of thing. I don't know. Evan has a has a way of describing something so well and putting a picture in your mind with a sentence where you know what I mean, just just all of a sudden and and not just paint the picture but associate feelings to it.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: That's that's it's normal stuff.
Speaker 2: It's not like I'm trying to describe like something big. It's like square Harry on the Meadow, second cuting of the Year, Yep, It's like it's uh uh light enough still at the foot of the hill. We could kick up a single or two, you know, just like like every song has got just like some something that kind of paints.
Speaker 1: The picture for you. You like the Tributors, Oh yeah, Turnpike School. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know if those other two names go make it on my playlist, but there's a little turn.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Barry, did you think it was funny when I thought Evan Fucker's dad was dead and I was like going around there, Yeah, what did it come across as funny? Were you like, man, I got a cool dad. I mean, I just I just thought it was funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was.
Speaker 2: He was just like, yeah, man, you know he's Yeah, he did Little Cowboy in some day working. He welds down there at Diverse City. I said, he's still alive. Like, yeah, he's still alive.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well that's funny. Josh Watch said, what what you man?
Speaker 3: I love a good redemption story, you know. I think I think that the fact that he was able to go through that, you know, it sounds like he was confronted, got the help that he needed, but he wasn't defined by that, and I think he's I think he's learned how to live his life with that being in the past, you know what I mean, and not carry it with him. And you can tell, you know, you can tell the things that are valuable to him now is you know, his family, his his music is valuable. And I also I was actually kind of impressed by the way that he addressed the crowd during the during the live session. Yeah, it was very personal, you know what I mean, And you could you could see the gratitude that he had for people who listen to his music, and I you know, I've been to I've been to concerts and stuff where where the guy singing couldn't care less about the people in the audience, and he just seemed to have just a real appreciation for liking his music, you know, And I think that's I think that's a pretty cool thing. I like people who who recognize that it's not just them, you know. So anyways, I was I was really impacted just about the story of him.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I liked what he said he said, you know, he's like, he's like, well, you know, that's fine for some people, but I can't do it, you know what I mean, that's that's not you know, and you can tell but with the resolve in his voice that they'll never touch it again because he recognizes it destroyed his life and he had it. Sounds like he had a window of opportunity and he took that window of opportunity and all those things that he had lost he got back. And that that means something to me.
Speaker 1: M M, what about you? Justin let's sit out.
Speaker 7: I thought he was really good, just the fact that he came from small town, Oklahoma, and I think that's a lot of the reason he is the way he is. He's just an old country boy that grew up like that. He I don't think he set out to be what he is as far as the fame goes. But but he got that and he never he never drifted into I'm too good to be here in Oklahoma anymore. I'm still still this guy that wants to run a ranch, ride horses. I think it keeps him humble. It's really good to see him be able to confront and talk about the situation that he had. It takes takes a lot, especially when you've got a spotlight on you like that. To be able to talk about that publicly, I think it was great. I was a little bit disappointed how he responded when you asked him about the alcohol, like with his kids, and when he talks about how much better his life is now that he's not a part of it, he talks about how much more productive he is. I mean, I just feel like he might have a little more to say to his kids and to his friends. But I understand too, uh the world that he's in. Yeah, espersonal choice.
Speaker 1: We talked about it.
Speaker 2: I might have been a little surprised at what he said to just because I you know, he was an alcoholic and it kind of wrecked his life, you know. And I said, what would you how do you think you'll talk to your kids about alcohol and stuff?
Speaker 1: And I was, I was, it was.
Speaker 2: It was an interesting answer he had, because I think I would have thought he would have been, like, I'm going to tell my kids never to even.
Speaker 1: Touch this thing.
Speaker 7: That's the thought I had, you know.
Speaker 2: And uh, yet I mean he has a I mean, what you tell somebody and what you do with your life is it's more important what you do.
Speaker 1: So his kids are going to watch him grow up and not drink, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, so even what he tells him, I mean he's now, you know, I mean, he's going to be living by example. But yeah, I was, I was kind of I just wanted to see what he thought about it, you know, because I grew up in a world that was very, very conservative with alcohol. Just like, this stuff's dangerous, man wreck your life. I mean to the point that some of it was kind of fear mongering, and but at the same time, it's I mean, the stuff's wrecked a lot of people's lives, So you can't mess around with it total.
Speaker 5: Just happened to be. But I literally lost my best friend last year that dealt with alcoholism and stuff, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's a dangerous drug man. Yeah, it's I've just never been a big drinker, but you know, he did. We were best friends for a long time, but just it always come back to him, Yeah, always come back for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well it was. It was really interesting to hear hear his songs and he sings about it too. One of the funniest things I ever heard. That on turn Practure Door social media when the song on the Red River came out with this new album, right, one of their songs went pretty high in the country chart or something, and and Turned by True Doors posted a screen clip of their text thread like on the band and and somebody said, hey, on the Red Rivers showing up on the country charts at whatever number. And Evan Felker writes back, and he says, nothing says hot country like obscure dog breeds and generational.
Speaker 1: Alcoholists us show.
Speaker 2: That's funny because he you know, again going back to the specificity inside a songwriting, and he talked about the cattle dogs that he has and he has a bunch of cattle dogs. I didn't really get a chance. I talked to him a lot about his cattle dogs he's got. He's got a yard full of bird dogs and cattle dogs and he works those cattle dogs. Dogs are like quills, yeah, quell dogs and shoot retrieving dogs like duck dogs. And uh but he's got a uh, hanging tree cattle dogs that many they worked. They had one Border Collie, but one hanging tree dog, which was neat. You have you ever heard of hang you know, hanging tree dogs.
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were cool.
Speaker 3: But what's what's hanging tree dog?
Speaker 2: It's it's a breed of cattle dog. What does it look like? I mean, to me, it looked like a cur.
Speaker 4: You know, I believe, and don't quote me on this. I've had a few hanging tree dogs. I was never that much fan of them because they didn't have enough bite for me. But uh, I believe it's like a border Collie.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: I believe it's a border Collie, a healer and maybe like some kelpie.
Speaker 5: Or something in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kelpie.
Speaker 5: I want to say it's it's it's crossed up cow breeds.
Speaker 4: Basically, a guy came up with and Uh, I've seen some guys with some great ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah for sure. Yeah, I just I never got into him.
Speaker 2: But you you've caught wild cattle and though that kind of stuff, and I preferred I've always preferred cata hulas.
Speaker 5: And part of that.
Speaker 4: Is, probably, like he said, just my demographic. I just I've always loved leopard dogs, from hog dogs to blood dogs to everything. I just I always had luck with catahulas. I always got a lot more handle out of them than like a black mouth curve. Black Mouth curves are awesome dogs a lot of guys, but I found black mouths to be like coyotes trying to catch him and handle him and actually get a handle on them. I always preferred catahulas because I could, I could move him around. You know, I had a good handle on them.
Speaker 2: Now, tell me about the situation where you'd be catching wild cattle, like something like a big ranch. What does cattle get loose and they hire you and your dogs to come in there and catch them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I did some contracts for like a I did one for like a municipality that a guy had a bunch of cattle on a place. He had like seven seven thousand acres almost he sold the place. Fences were trash, his cattle, just he left him there for the owner. They'd gotten out, getting in corn fields, getting in wheat fields, destroying crops.
Speaker 5: And the people had already paid that. I think they'd find the guy like one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for crop damages for these cattle. So basically they came in and we're like, hey, we're either hiring somebody to remove these cattle and you get nothing, or you can hire this guy and he's gonna catch him. He's gonna haul them to market and he gets half.
Speaker 2: So like that's the that's the deal with a guy catching cattle as you get half the.
Speaker 4: YEA, if I'm gonna go clean a place off, and don't get me wrong, there's a lot of guys go do it for two hundred dollars a day and that's cool. But if I'm gonna go on a clean up job and I'm gonna have to bay cattle up, dart them, lead them out, maybe winch them in the trailer, you know, sometimes we have to go dartom in helicopter, that gunam in helicopter. Like there's cost in that. So I can't do it for two hundred dollars a day. So that's if I go catch wild cattle, I do it on the halves.
Speaker 5: I catch it if you have to hire me to catch it or some guy by no means in my top hand or nothing.
Speaker 1: But if you got a hat those super puncher.
Speaker 5: I'm not a super puncher man. I ain't got the big buckle or nothing else.
Speaker 1: But you had a pretty big buckle. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: Uh, but no that you know that that's kind of the rule of thumb.
Speaker 4: Like if it's so bad that you just want it gone, it shouldn't be a problem to pay me half, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean just the drugs. Dark cattle are expensive, the darts are expensive, the man powers exposed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's super dangerous and you gotta be highly skilled. I mean to me, that's what comes.
Speaker 5: Top Well, and think you've seen the horses we ride.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like we show up with some horsepower, you know, and go out there and do the deal we gotta do. And I mean a mediocre horses is ten thousand dollars now in the in the in the ranching in rodeo world for a good, a good like solid ranch horse. You know that you can go do that stuff on and not run into problems. But and you look at guys like Derek mcgay and stuff that are going out there and catching wild cattle on reservation land and public land and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's one hundred percent pay right there. I get to keep them like, that's a sweet trip.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, okay, so we started in on wild cattle with you. But if you met somebody in the store and they said, young man, what do.
Speaker 1: You do for a living? What would you tell them?
Speaker 5: I tell him I'm a massive jack of all trades and a master of dun But what what?
Speaker 2: What describe your career path that got you to where you're at?
Speaker 1: Just like quickly? I mean you don't.
Speaker 4: I mean I've rodeoed my whole life roped. I fought bulls for a long time. Uh. The three things I'm most passionate about is hounds, picking up brons, and bucking horses. And uh, I mean, I don't know what the third one would be. Maybe I should have said my top two. Well, helicopters would be my third one. I love helicopter capture work.
Speaker 1: What are those streets hold on? What were the three.
Speaker 5: Hound, probably hounds, horses, helic copters.
Speaker 1: Hound.
Speaker 2: That sounds like what like my buddy's like three year old son is really pumped about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hounds, horses, and helicopter.
Speaker 3: That's going to be the name of his memoirs.
Speaker 2: Now, that's that's super interesting. Tell me how now, what are you doing with helicopters?
Speaker 5: Well, the helicopter deal started.
Speaker 4: You know, I've been gutting all kinds of whitetail hunts, turkey hunts, bird hunts, duck hunts. I had a bow fishing guide business for a long time with their boats, and uh I was literally on a on a ranch one day catching cattle and that helicopter pilot said, hey, man, like you you think you you know, you think you'd want to catch deer with us, And I instantly I'm all in, you know, let's do it. And uh So I went on a few catch jobs with a with a capture team and man, it's been a pretty cool experience.
Speaker 5: So big horn, sheep, mule deer, whitetail deer.
Speaker 1: Who are you working for when you're doing that?
Speaker 5: You know? I worked kind of for like three or four different companies.
Speaker 4: Uh, there's Bob McCoy. He's down in Santa Fe, Texas, and.
Speaker 2: These are these are companies that are like wildlife well like so like specialize in capturing and release.
Speaker 5: So Bob's like lots of helicopters.
Speaker 4: He flies guys from his own airport offshore to the offshore drilling rigs and he halts those guys back and forth. And uh, he's got some like MT. Five hundred helicopters and stuff that are you know what, what you use for capture work. So he gets government capture contracts.
Speaker 2: So okay, that's it. That's what I'm looking for. Government capture contract Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like you know, we uh we went and call her a bunch of big horn sheep in Washington State and uh and just all along the Columbia River.
Speaker 2: There and you were you told he told me he was he was mugging big horn sheep. Oh yeah, tell us what that means.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: So basically we would fly around, we'd find big horn sheep that fit the profile with the biologists wanted us to call, and then we kind of push those sheep away to an area where it's just safe for us to get out because obviously it's a rough, rough terrain and we'd single that sheep out, shoot it with a net gun, get a net over it, just to kind of slow it down and get as close as we can. Hop out, tie it, take the net off, put the collar on.
Speaker 2: We'd get a hair mug, and it means you're just just get on there. Yeah, you just man this big orn show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and get you a blood sample, hair sample.
Speaker 5: You measure some different glands and some different measurements, and.
Speaker 4: Then we swab them for pneumonia. And basically the callers have a big number on them. So if we go back and say pneumonia is really affecting you know that that specific herd of sheep, then they'll come back in there and cull those sheep that come back positive for that pnemonia. So basically, grab it, tie it, take the net off, do your whole work up on it, let it back up.
Speaker 1: I mean, how many how many times have you done work like that?
Speaker 4: I want to say that job we call it, I think we call Heed one hundred and fifty big horn up there, something like that, and uh, it was one hundred and something. Mule deer also on that project. We were up there for about a month. We had a lot of bad weather days.
Speaker 5: Usually it's just boom boom boom, fifty headed day or more. I mean catching white tail and stuff and exotics in Texas, you know. I mean that we have one hundred animal days, you know, and there's guys that do more than that. You know.
Speaker 1: So helicopter work, yeah, you don't fly helicopters.
Speaker 2: Now you've you've with wildlife and now but you specialize in wildlife.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are a wildlife.
Speaker 2: Manager that has managed a bunch of different ranches, yes, sir, And that's how why you're managing this ranch out here.
Speaker 1: Yes sir, Yes, sir, this is this is too confusing.
Speaker 2: This is gonna have to be a three part past year on Marshall because we hadn't even got into the Yellowstone thing.
Speaker 1: Yeh, we got We've got a lot of ground to cover, folks.
Speaker 2: Uh okay, but you you did uh wildlife management for a bunch of ranches.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, Yes, sir. I'd come in.
Speaker 4: Some ranches would just have me come in and something as simple as predator trap or call some stuff that they needed to get rid of or capture it and sell it to another ranch or whatever. I'd buy those animals, mark them up sell them, just like any product, you know. And uh so I did a lot of that, so all in Texas, Yeah, all in Texas, and some stuff in Oklahoma too, and uh you know that they'd call me in sometimes I'd just go to a high fence ranch that was things just weren't working for them. They didn't have the right management in place, didn't have the animals that they needed to have in that business. There's a lot of ranch managers where ranches have these assets, these animals, and for some crazy reason, these animals seem to leave the ranch in coolers, but the ranch doesn't get paid for it, which really cuts into profits. So you get a lot of guys that their business is just not being run properly. And I could come in there and figure out what the problem was, figure out why they're not making money, kind of get them going in the right direction, find them, you know, a little bit of clientele, find them the right guy to guide and and then just kind of step away from it and sell them animals.
Speaker 1: You know, Texas is a wild place.
Speaker 2: Texas is a wild place, okay, So, but a lot of your career has revolved around wildlife management, Yes, sir.
Speaker 1: So you did outfit you did.
Speaker 2: You've done a lot of outfitting, yes, sir, but you've also done like held contract helicopter work, you know which, and then managing these ranches, which is what you're doing today.
Speaker 1: That's the reason we know you.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir and uh. And this is hands down the best job yet.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's managing this place.
Speaker 4: The kim Brose, the family that I worked for, Tim and Kim easy to remember, but it's it's t k landing cattle and they're just the nicest people in the world. And just their dream of what's going on here is like every outdoorsman's dream.
Speaker 5: So it's just it's so cool to work for somebody that's like got the same goals in mind. Is like, you can't. There's no goal you can come up with different than theirs that you're gonna like better. Like it's just kind of the perfect plan. You know.
Speaker 4: We're starting a horse program, starting a cattle program. It's all coming from scratch. This will be the first full elk season here for us. It'll be first mill deer season here for us. We might be the first people running hounds on this place in a decade, you know, And.
Speaker 2: It's just you're not guiding us out here. We we just came, we brought some dogs. We've been just hunting with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, this is just friends having a good time.
Speaker 4: And that's what they're about, you know, Like we're not a big commercial hunting operation. You're not going to see us trying to sell hunts all the time anything like that. Like it's a friend's family business kind of deal. And you know, y'all are friends now you come hunt, you know, it's just kind of how it goes. Yeah, yeah, and uh so it's really cool for like always in the hunting industry, for me, it was wake up every morning and hustle, hustle, hustle, just to make sure you had a trip that week, right, Like there was there was weeks bowfishing where you blow the motor in the airboat and it's like you'll almost go stand on the corner with a cardboard sign trying to sell some bowfishing trips to get that.
Speaker 2: Would you tell me you you you had one hundred and fifty six days you got it?
Speaker 5: I did. I had a one year. I did one hundred and fifty six bow fishing trips in a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is.
Speaker 5: Now, which is a lot.
Speaker 2: There's so many different different things. Just been here with you for a couple of days that I've learned about you tell us about working on the set of Yellowstone.
Speaker 5: Uh, Yellowstone was super cool, Like like what did you do?
Speaker 1: What did you do?
Speaker 4: I just kind of had like a wildlife position with them where it was cool. I'd get to go scout ranches and find like places for scenes for them working for locations. This got Dustin Daniels and will Anks. They were super cool, and so I did a lot of like ranch scouting for them. And they'd be like, Hey, we need a river crossing that's this deep, this wide, we need thirty horses to be able to cross it. We need a sandbank on the other side to slide down.
Speaker 5: And I would go look on these ranches and be like what about this spot? You know? Yeah, And it was just really cool.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 5: Before they'd ride horses through pastors or gather cattle, I'd go out their horseback and make sure there was no like hazards or snakes. You know, a big part of what I did there was snake wrangling. Man's crazy. We caught a lot of rattlesnakes, a lot of copperheads.
Speaker 2: So when you caught a rattlesnake, yep, it had to be by the book of the book.
Speaker 4: We would catch the rattlesnake, we'd put the rattlesnake in a good safe that met their requirements, and then we would film and stuff, and then we would take that snake and put it exactly back where we found it. One thing I will say about that whole production, The movie business is not for me. I won't be doing it again. Way too many people for me. But I was blown away by how respectful they were to the land and to animals, real stuff. Yeah, they really were, man, I mean, and I mean some of the stuff I did was stupid.
Speaker 5: You know, Hey, we're gonna use this old building, but there's a skunk that lives there. We need to trap that skunk. You know, we're put it right back. Yeah, it's never been in my rollerdex to go ahead at least the skunk, you know what I mean. I gotta do what.
Speaker 4: So like you know, and nuisance trapping and stuff, it's like you just eliminate it, you know. But I was blown away by how much care they actually had on that stuff, like, and it was a cool group of people. It really was a cool The coolest thing about it, I want to say. The crew was three hundred people plus every day, like it was insane, and every person knew your name. It seemed like every person come over there, have coffee with you. I mean even Tim McGraw, Sam Elliott, faith Hill. I mean they just all just hey, how's your morning going. You know, just the kindest people in the world. And I never saw an argument Yellowstone eighteen eighty three, Bass Reeves, Like, I never saw.
Speaker 5: It fall apart.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 4: It was pretty impressive to see that many people from that many different walks of life and that many different There was everything you could imagine works there, buddy, Yeah, and it was just never a big nothing was ever. There was just no big confrontations, no big nothing like. It was pretty incredible. Just how grease that wheel was. I mean it really went well. So yeah, it was cool. I did it for a while and I just got burned out. It was seven days a week, fourteen fifteen, sixteen hours a day, lots of time just sitting in the truck, waiting on the next thing, waiting on the next thing, and my add just.
Speaker 5: Runs rampant sitting in the pickup. Man, you tell me you're gonna pay me to catch snakes, I'm gonna go catch some steaks, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I just hated sitting in the truck so much, and I hated just waiting. The waiting game just killed me on it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But man, what a unique experience though, And y'all have any y'all have. I mean, I'm kind of just like we're just like hitting the hits with marshall right.
Speaker 4: The worst part is you don't have time for your friends. You don't have time for your hounds. You don't have time for your horses, you don't have time for your change the oil in your truck.
Speaker 5: Like it just consumes your whole life. And my cow.
Speaker 4: Business got rougher. My dogs weren't as good. And that was a big part of it for me, was just it took all your time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, I think that that that is very a very niche job. You know, there are a whole lot of guys that have a job like that. I had a question about, uh oh, how did you get that job?
Speaker 5: Just a random phone call. I thought somebody was messing with me.
Speaker 4: Some people called me asking me if I could catch a rattlesnake and Weatherford and I was like, like I do like helicopter capture and stuff, not really snake stuff. And then a few days later, my buddy Brandon Beard Didn't call me, that works for Taylor Shared and he's like, hey, man, like we need somebody out here to look for snakes, like for real, Like you should call this guy back.
Speaker 5: And I called him and next day I was there.
Speaker 1: And it kind of turned into this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it turned into like helping local house.
Speaker 1: I mean, you did it for like six months or something.
Speaker 4: No, I did it over a year, over a year, about a year and a half, probably maybe a little longer than that.
Speaker 5: It was. We did a few I did a few episodes of Yellowstone. I wasn't like up in Montana and all that.
Speaker 4: I just did Texas stuff, but spent a lot of time on the Four Sixes, which was really cool.
Speaker 5: I met some cool people out there.
Speaker 4: Joe Leathers caught me picking up chad antlers out there one day.
Speaker 5: He just gave me a dirty look. Though I was lucky get away with it. But I think I got like three antlers off the four Sixes, which was a good find.
Speaker 4: But uh yeah, So I got to spend some time at the Sixes and stuff and that was cool.
Speaker 5: And then his place there in Weatherford.
Speaker 4: I've been around it quite a bit before too, and you know, he did major things out there and it was cool. And I guess if I did it again, I would go work for Locations. I think Locations has the coolest job.
Speaker 1: What's that mean?
Speaker 4: So like Locations is like the guy that goes out and is it like, hey, we love your place in Arkansas. We'd like to use your place in Arkansas for this scene where this.
Speaker 5: Gunfight and this and that and whatever. And it's crazy.
Speaker 4: They'll come in there and move everything you own out of that house, film there for twenty four hours straight and move everything you own back in that house the same spot.
Speaker 5: You never even touch a cup. It's the craziest thing you've ever seen in your life.
Speaker 4: And but those guys they go out find the ranches, find the locations, like it's just a cool it's scouting. It's like what we like to do, you know, you just go scout country. And that's just they had a pretty cool gig. They had a pretty cool gig, but they also had a ton of headaches, which is why I'm not going to be doing locations in the movie world.
Speaker 2: Wow, man, that's wild, man, that is wild justin bear any any any thoughts, questions?
Speaker 1: What okay, there's just like I've got.
Speaker 2: Two other things at least that i want to talk to Marshall about. But y'all, you've been around him for a couple of days here, anything anything you want to ask them about or just what people what.
Speaker 1: Would would what would be interesting?
Speaker 9: I'm trying to think because it seems like the whole time we've been here just there's like never ending.
Speaker 5: The stories never stop with Marshalls. Hey, lot happens when you're trying to get in if.
Speaker 2: Some dove cop cabin, we would name this episode the Stories Never Stopped Marshall bry But since run Lonesome Dove Cabin.
Speaker 1: We guys, if you don't have.
Speaker 4: A bunch of stories, you're not having enough fun. Man, I've worked hard. My whole life did not have to work hard, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Well, Uh, Marshall, I had a question about about your job here. What kind of what kind of things are you doing to like tell me about what kind of wildlife you have here? On the ranch. Yeah, and what you're doing to to to manage them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, We've just we've got a really really healthy l herd. We got a ton of mule deer. Uh generally we have a lot of bears, so we try to kill one.
Speaker 5: It's just we've got a ton of wildlife.
Speaker 4: And kind of my everyday deal is, uh start in the morning, and I just kind of the place is so big, you just kind of have to pick an area and say, hey, I'm going to concentrate my next four days on this area. I'm gonna get all our stands and stuff, right, I'm gonna trim trees on that section of a road. I'm gonna bring an excavator down here and get these big rocks out of the road. I'm gonna build a new road from point A to point B.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: That's another great thing about this job. As the boss man comes out and he's like, man, I sure would like a road to up there, and it's it's so cool because you're like, heck, yeah, go walk me out of road. I'm gonna go build a road up there, just like I want to build a road up there, you know. And then to see him show up and use that road, and they're like, oh man, this's worked.
Speaker 5: That's exact road I wanted, you know.
Speaker 4: And that's just that's super rewarding to me that I don't have to answer to one hundred people. I don't have a bunch of micro management. It's just like, hey man, i'd like this, I'd like this, I'd like this, and you just kind of go make it happen. He understands the place is big. He understands you can't just take a piece of equipment. I mean, the highway washed away today, like we might not even be able to make it into part of the wrench, you know.
Speaker 1: So he I think that's why we hadn't killed a bear.
Speaker 4: The logistics are tough, like, but I just I pick an area. I build roads, a trim trees, you know, just all of it. Everyday ranch stuff, you know. Just it's I guess I have manager on my title, but I'm just a ranch hand. I guess you'd say that manages wildlife, you know, and God, you know, God, friends and family and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean in the in the elk cutting in this part of New Mexico is about as good as it gets.
Speaker 5: It's it's ignorant. I mean it's yeah, pretty man.
Speaker 4: I'm super pumped for my first full elk season up.
Speaker 1: Here for sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Incredible man.
Speaker 2: Now, but really, what you're maybe most passionate about in terms.
Speaker 1: Of hunting is lying hunting one thousand. That's it.
Speaker 7: Huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you have.
Speaker 4: If I could not do anything else the rest of my life, I'd get up every morning in light hunt, no doubt.
Speaker 1: And so you've got you got a bunch of how many dogs you got right now?
Speaker 5: I got about ten dogs right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And and do you have a line dog right now?
Speaker 2: That's is I mean, do you have one that all that that that one is the best dog I've ever had?
Speaker 1: Do you have mediocre dog?
Speaker 5: I got?
Speaker 4: I got two of the best dogs I've ever had right now, My red and white dog Dan that y'all saw the bob tail, you know, not the short bobtail, but the medium bob tail. He came from a buddy up in Montana. And he is just a jam up line dog. I mean, he he'll grind it out, He'll take his time. Uh, you know, he's just he's patient. He's young, which is just it's cool to have a four year old dog that's just on top of his game. You know, probably my second best dog is that timber dog, which is the red dog.
Speaker 5: Oh, Clifford, the bigger red dog.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's got a bad knee here and there and uh, but he's four.
Speaker 5: And he's a phenomenal dog.
Speaker 4: Also, I may have only got the dog because of that bad You know that I look back at it because that definitely wasn't spoke of first, but phenomenal dog.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't sell him for the world. You know.
Speaker 1: That brings up an interesting question selling line dogs.
Speaker 2: Give me a spectrum for how much a good I mean, or a great dry ground line dog would go for right now in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: It's honestly depending on the dog. I mean, you can almost name your price.
Speaker 4: I mean these people horses, hounds and mules sell and stuff like it's gone crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean, And so what's name and your price?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 5: I mean, there's you hear.
Speaker 4: Rumors guys paying over one hundred thousand dollars for just top notch.
Speaker 5: Dry ground line dogs.
Speaker 3: You kidding me? One hundred thousands.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about You don't have to do anything but open the dog box and stay out of his way, go down there and get him off the tree.
Speaker 5: Like dogs like that. I mean, if you find a dog like that for lesson twenty thirty thousand dollars, you're doing the deal.
Speaker 4: Like so if somebody gave me a if somebody, if I priced a dog like that and somebody gave me, you know, hey, man, I'm asking forty thousand for him, like, I would not be blown away.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying I would go spend that.
Speaker 1: I'll give you twenty five thousand dollars right now for your best dog.
Speaker 5: Done.
Speaker 1: No, No, I was kidding. That sounds good to be.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't really sell him, but I just want to see if you're bluffing a bluffing. But now I know how to play cards later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, I mean my question though, was would you sell your dog for twenty five thousand or is he worth it?
Speaker 1: Maybe he's not worth it, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: He's worth it to me. Yeah, I guess it's the best way to say that.
Speaker 4: My thing is, I could sell that dog for twenty five thousand, but I'd have a hard time replacing him for that. Yeah, you know, that's my biggest deal. I don't have a half million dollar budget to go blow online dogs. You know, I got two really nice dogs. I got one that I just plumb lucked out on that made a dog, And then I got some really nice young dogs coming up. And to me, I like watching a young dog progress so much that I would almost sell my top dog every year if I didn't have to breed my Like, that's my thing. Like, I want to be in a position where I don't ever have to buy a dog again.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: What I always had.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like I had line dogs, sold them all, took a different job, bought line dogs again, sold them, got a different job keeping. Yeah, so like I wasn't able to keep my line going really on line dogs, Like I kind of started over like three times. And these are hands down some of the better ones I've had by far, especially Dan. But yeah, it's just you know, if a guy's got a bunch of money, he can have a wicked settle line.
Speaker 2: Think about the thing about a line dog that's different than the beard dog, and tell me just if it's right. And you two Marshalls, you can you need about to come out here and to be successful, you probably need ten to fifteen dogs to be to be a good to catch a sufficient bear hunter.
Speaker 8: At least at least because twenty dogs, because well, just hold on, let me, let me, let me just say what I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: To be a to come out here and to be a successful line hunter, just assuming that, you know, I mean, I'm not calculating the skill of the hunter and knowing where to go and being here when it snows. But in theory, you could come out here with three or four really good line dogs and catch a line sure enough, catch lines consistently, especially in wet ground, with three or four dogs.
Speaker 1: And so we're going to answer that.
Speaker 2: But the point is that's that's why a line dog is worth so much, Because you go by one man, you pretty much got pack, I mean, one real good wood and with some backup dogs.
Speaker 7: If you take one good one and you got three that'll go with him and just push him, you're good. Yeah, the bear deal you gotta have. You need to be putting eight on the ground a lot of dog power, and then you got to do it again tomorrow and then eight or ten years to day they're smoked. Yeah, that's kind of what we've run into.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when I and the pads of their feet, their knees, their hips.
Speaker 5: I mean, it takes it out of them up here.
Speaker 4: A lot of people do not think that terrain is like this in New Mexico, and it's like both of y'all today. It was funny I told you riding around with you all at two different times, he said, if somebody just dropped me off in a helicopter here blindfolded, I would think it was Montana. Yeah, And it was funny because thirty minutes later, I ride with your dad and he's like, you know what, it's just like the Rockies, and it's it's so it's so true, like when you're up here and it's like beautiful hayfields and a lake and ducks and geese everywhere, and then you go one hundred your more yards and it's like, all right, we're in the foothills.
Speaker 5: There's mill deer. This is cool. And then you go over that hill and you're like, wow, big mountains.
Speaker 1: That's well, what's our elevation right here? Eighty four hundred feet?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, we're a little over eight thousand just right here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I mean you're starting and it feels like we're at the bottom of the futa. We're in the valley, we're eighty four hundred feet. Yeah, Josh, here's your answer. Here's your answer. The answer you've been waiting for is that when you turn, when you turn loose the line dog, you're turning him on a track that that line has made maybe the day before, maybe the day before that. And he's most of the work that that dog is doing. He's trailing that line while that line was hunting and moving, and that line didn't even know it's being tracked. And that dog's got to catch up with that line, which could be miles of trailing. And then when the cat actually perceives that he's being chased by a hound, he doesn't really run that far.
Speaker 4: Once you got him jumped, you're once once that your success mountain's laying on a.
Speaker 2: Mule deer killed over here with a full belly. And he doesn't know it, but for the last six hours there's been dogs six miles away that have been trailing him through the mountains where he walked last night. When he hears that dog bay, he jumps up and he runs about three hundred yards and those dogs start catching up, catching up to him, and he goes up a tree.
Speaker 1: A bear is.
Speaker 2: You might cold trail a bear for a long time before he knows he's being chased. But as soon as he's jumped, as soon as that bear goes, oh there's dogs starts, he turns on the after burners. And he's got more horsepower than your dogs usually and and and your dogs have already cold trailed him, and then they've got to catch him and pressure him enough to go up a tree, and a lot of I mean, sometimes the bear want him go up a tree. That's what we ran into on the first say, just a walking bear, a bear that had no problem with the dogs, just kind of yapping at it.
Speaker 5: Right, I had a problem with it. Covered a lot of country to just watch him walk around.
Speaker 1: How far do you think you rode?
Speaker 4: I think when you looked at my track or what was it like twenty it was like twenty three miles or twenty seven miles or something. So and we'd already traveled what eleven miles as a group, least horseback, you know, And then we kind of had a split deal going on, and my good two best dogs went after the walking bear over there, so I had no choice to go. But you know, I went and went and went, called a neighbor, went through their place, went and went, went, called a neighbor, went through their place, went went, went back of a neighborhood, walking down the public road. You know, my horse tied to a gate four miles back. I mean, it's just when a bear goes, a bear goes. Yeah, and it's just.
Speaker 1: That's why you need a bunch of bear dogs.
Speaker 2: And not to say I mean a really top notche bear dog would be expensive too, but I think a line dog would be more.
Speaker 4: What does a truck to tree? No questions asked bear dog go for?
Speaker 7: It's a good question.
Speaker 6: One, yeah, weeah no idea, Yeah, general sell bear dogs as a pack or do you buy individual dogs?
Speaker 5: Generally?
Speaker 7: I think it would be I think I would be lying, but from what I know or what I've seen, it would be as a pack like them guys on the East Coast. And I'm sure there's gonna be some that's like, No, we would sell one dog, you know, but I think it's selled by the pack and it's not anything like the price of these line dogs, right, I mean you can I think you can go find a gem up bear dog for eight ten thousand. Yeah, I mean turn them out, look at him at the tree.
Speaker 4: So really, for as many dogs as you got to have, really a set of line dogs and a set of bear dogs kind of evens out.
Speaker 5: You're just less dogs, more money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just the truth of it is, bear hunting is more dangerous for the dogs.
Speaker 5: Oh bad. So that's why we had and went the extra seventeen miles. Check on her dog.
Speaker 2: It's pretty pretty rare for a hound to get killed while you're running a line.
Speaker 4: I've only lost one ever, and we got on a cliff and went over the rocks.
Speaker 5: Never I've never had it like a lion killed a dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, man, all that is just so it's fascinating.
Speaker 1: Bear. Tell us about your mule.
Speaker 9: Well, I've been training slow Trap for the last two months, started riding them within the last month. And before I even got on them, I think like a month ago you asked me if you want to take them to New Mexico in one month.
Speaker 5: I was impressed by the thirty day mule man. I was blown away.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So I started working on him pretty hard and got him riding. It's like the last two weeks I've been doing quite a bit of trail riding with him, but we took him out here and just rode him around with all the other mules and horses.
Speaker 1: Oh, they on a wild ride that first day. I mean that's kind of what I was.
Speaker 2: So you went further than us because you went after your dogs, but we easily went fifteen miles in rough country.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, it was. It was the rougher stuff. Was righting on our heels the whole time. And it was also the fastest stuff I've done with him.
Speaker 9: Like I've gotten him to trot, you know, just down like a straight stretch, but we were trotting a lot more than you know, like with this style of hunting.
Speaker 1: We were going a lot faster.
Speaker 9: So he was trotting and got yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: But he saw the truck and trail yeah, headed home.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he was getting tired there on the first day, the last couple of miles, and whenever we came down in the valley and you could see the truck on the other side and he saw the other mules running, I just had to give him the slightest cue and he just took off all the way across the well.
Speaker 1: It was for us.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of fun bringing that meal out here and just fun for me to see Bear. I mean he was riding that thing in a thirty foot diameter round pen, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Three weeks ago, I mean for real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh, I mean just in the last month he's taken it out by itself on solo trips and kind of national forest in Arkansas. Yeah, and uh yeah, but I also didn't really have any doubt that it would do good.
Speaker 1: I mean, the mule's done so good and Bear's Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bear got some help from a friend of Justin and I is a guy named Elvis Middleton, who those are mountain mules.
Speaker 1: Elvis, those are just Ozark mountains.
Speaker 7: Those are mountain mules.
Speaker 1: Got you, got you Ozark mountain miles. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's a phenomenal trainer at getting them started. And uh we went over there for about really a full day with Elvis.
Speaker 9: Yeah, before and I've been restored messaging him quite a bit. But yeah, he's shown me a lot of the groundwork and just kind of how to go about it. But it's been a really interesting process training a mule. I was I was kind of just wanting to do it at first, just for the experience, but now that I've gotten into it, you know, I had like one from like start to now using I'm i'm i'm.
Speaker 1: I think I'm hooked. I think I'm going to get another one. Yeah. Yeah, we're working on one right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yep.
Speaker 2: So and then Josh, you did great too, man. So Josh is Josh is about as good a meal, about as new a mule rider as slow trap.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, Josh, Josh is like a thirty day many Yeah. So yeah, but you you put on some miles we probably rode.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We rode eight miles today, didn't we ten?
Speaker 1: We rode ten miles that he tracked us today?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that mule did good. It's a big boy to carry around.
Speaker 3: To carry around them.
Speaker 1: That's Justin's That's a whole lot of country.
Speaker 5: On top of a mule right there.
Speaker 3: I want to know, Marshall, what are your feelings about mules.
Speaker 5: I knew y'all, I knew y'all were going to do this. They're cool. Mules are cool. I will say that one thousand percent, one thousand percent.
Speaker 4: I think they definitely have their place. Like I get it. I do get it.
Speaker 5: Today I rode Betty Bay up our big old boulder, you know, and like that's cool. I would no question jump my horse, any of my horses up on that rock.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 5: That turning around and coming back off of it would have been near as graceful as they were on that mule.
Speaker 4: So like, I do have a huge respect for mules. And I told you I had a huge respect for mules before, just from seeing the things that people do on them. It's just it's you're a cowboy, basically.
Speaker 5: I think the question is, like, let's talk about how the endurance of a horse and a mule that I've been hearing about because I don't know, I've covered a lot of country about run five mile race. When we got back.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, hey Smurf, we called him old Blue, Oh smurf, dead gum. That is that's the Marshall has an incredible animal. I mean, it's that.
Speaker 4: Horse is part of our horse program here at the ranch and tell us about it. He's he's just a five year old blue horse.
Speaker 1: Is he fifteen one fifteen?
Speaker 5: He's probably fifteen one fifteen to two.
Speaker 2: Betty weighs thirteen hundred pounds though at least Yeah, he's a big style horse. So like Betty bay Weys one thousand and fifties and that's a good sized mule.
Speaker 1: Fourteen three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I bet that horse wears fourteen fifty probably it's out his rump is, yeah, two and a half. And he can run, he go, and he's got And that's man. I'm lucky on horses, man, because I mean the bay horse, the black horse, the blue horse, the they're all great horses.
Speaker 5: And they'll do that right there every day.
Speaker 1: I mean they you know.
Speaker 4: And that's another thing, you know, I think a lot of the horses that mule guys compare to our guys.
Speaker 5: That a lot of guys work all week.
Speaker 4: Go grab their mule, go coon hunting, go squirrel, go do whatever, and they ride that mule once or twice a week. And I think you know what y'all's mules did on a schedule versus like, if you're gonna do that on a horse, you gotta put a lot of miles on a horse, Like you got to keep that thing tuned up. You know, if I only ride my horse once a week, there is no way my horse could have done all that, you know, But you know, you keep them legged up, you keep them in shape, you know, and I do understand it does It is a lot more maintenance. My one horse probably ate more hay the last three days than four.
Speaker 5: Y'all's mules, you know. But you know, when you go sports car, you gotta put a lot of gas in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was, it was, It was impressive. Now I can't say I'm not.
Speaker 5: Have a better horse than that. No, Well, if they don't kill a line with us, and I'll even let him ride a good.
Speaker 3: Horse basically basically, So what I just heard you say is you know how Evan Felker talked about alcohol, like I'll never do it. That's basically what Marshall said about mules.
Speaker 1: I like, I wouldn't other people, but they're not for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd like to have a pack mule, just to have a mule, because I do think they're cool. Yeah, but I'm gonna have a hard time walking past my horses to ride a mule.
Speaker 2: Well, and but you're not the average horse guy either, Yeah, I mean you gotta pin with with with what you got going on here at the ranch. I mean you got a pin full of horses that are, yes, sir, top end performance ranch horses. Rodey of horses, cutting horses, raining horse, I mean pretty incredible animals.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean I got my two pickup horses and then my cow horse, and they, I mean.
Speaker 5: There's big, stout, athletic horses.
Speaker 4: And then the ranch has some really nice horses, and we've started getting some brood mares to raise our own horses and stuff and just kind of barely getting into the horse program here. And yeah, it's just there's nothing better than riding a good horse.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: I grew up riding junkie horses, and it was like it's I didn't really make it, but as soon as I could afford a luxury item, I went and got the best horse I could get. And ever since then, you know, my buddy Bobby Hayley always says like life's.
Speaker 5: Too short to ride a crappy horse. I don't know, can you say that on here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, life's too short to ride a sorry horse. And he like converted me completely, cause I used to just have a bunch of horses, you know, and he's the one that like fine to me. He was like, dude, just get it, get rid of those three and get one so we can actually like go get something done, you know, like pull up on something you're proud of, you know. And ever since then, it's like, now I've got a I don't know, Ferrari budget, or I got a Ferrari dreams on a Volkswagen budget, I think, is what they say.
Speaker 1: Here you go.
Speaker 5: But uh, yeah, I'm very blessed to have some awesome horses here at the wrench.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, big news. What's that I bought a mule?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, Josh, is this the last time I have to rent out Merle?
Speaker 3: We'll see, we'll see. I'll see how this mule goes. I might be running back to come get Merle.
Speaker 7: It'll get hired.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, tell tell us about.
Speaker 3: Your real Well, she's she's a big girl. You've never ritten her yet. I haven't written her yet. I've seen her once.
Speaker 7: Mistake.
Speaker 3: Let me just say it was a total impulse spy.
Speaker 1: Well it was your buddy.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was an impulse spy from a buddy. So I haven't ritten her yet. But she's a big girl. She's sixteen hands, so hopefully she'll be stout enough to carry a big boy.
Speaker 4: So I'm a break to your rope ladder. Take with you, So you can get on it. Yeah, collapsible bucket, that's what you need. That's gonna be tough.
Speaker 2: So we got another horseman in our presence, Justin. He's bought two pretty nice roping horses in the last two months. Bought two, sold one, bought two, sold one.
Speaker 3: Do you keep them in the same field as your mules?
Speaker 7: I do. They're not allowed to be in the same field as with my dad and stepmoms because they're in the same mentality as Marshall here. They're fire breeding dragons to kill somebody. What do you mean mules can't be with top end horses.
Speaker 1: Really, they're afraid to hurt them.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah for real? Oh yeah, bad deal.
Speaker 1: Now, Justin, I don't know.
Speaker 2: This may have been a private conversation we had that you don't want to share it when you said, like your your roping horses, they get hurt easy. You can't hardly ride them out of the pen.
Speaker 7: I mean, but but yeah, for the most part, you're not going to take a single horse that you've seen it go through the roping and come out here and do what we did. Not a chance you agree with that?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, ninety percent of the horses, those guys are going on. I can't do a quarter of what that blue horse did.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Eighty five percent of them have never done anything outside that arena. Yeah, and yeah, that that's a part of why I have bought a second horse and sold the other one, the first one, which he was fine for what he was, but you wouldn't gonna do anything with rope stairs on him in that arena. And well, I'm no big cowboy, but if I want to go do something on one, if I need to go catch it here and pasture, if I need to go trail ride, I want to go down to Buffalo. Whatever I want to do, he wasn't doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And anyway, the second purchase, he's a lot nicer horse, well rounded horse, more of.
Speaker 1: A ranch horse.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean you can rope on him and do our stuff, but you also go.
Speaker 7: You can do anything you want to. I wouldn't be scared a bit to bring him out here, really, honestly, I wouldn't them. Yeah, but he would not be a top end cellar. So somebody's want to go head steers. Yeah, he's he isn't a finished you know, he is an open horse by no means, how old is He's he's a nice horse. Nice horse for me.
Speaker 5: And I'm curious to you.
Speaker 4: I see way more horses that are really nice outside can just go in the arena and dominate. And there's so many horses you see do incredible things in the arena that it takes three people load him in the trailer, you get him down the alleyway.
Speaker 5: You know, some of those.
Speaker 4: Barrel horses you see crazy like you, it's ridiculous, man Like, we have bucking horses that handle better than some of them in the alleyway. It seems like, I mean them girls, they got a halt when they when they come down there. You watch some of those high end barrel horses. They'll kill you before the before they run through the line. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it make me nervous.
Speaker 5: YEA was doing that, that's uh yeah.
Speaker 4: My grandpa always said, don't date a barrel racer because you're gonna have to deal with her horse.
Speaker 5: The horse is almost impossible. That is a So I got me a great girlfriend. It's not a barrel racer.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, she.
Speaker 3: Was on that mule today too.
Speaker 2: She did.
Speaker 5: She rode her mule and we go a lot of miles out here on horseback too. She loves it.
Speaker 4: We packed mineral in and do all that.
Speaker 5: She would you a check for Betty Bayer right now if she had my check book, no question about it.
Speaker 7: Is it at the house? Can we get it to her?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: I keep it down there at Texas place so she can't get a hold of it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean we've we've covered. We've covered quite a bit pretty quick.
Speaker 1: We have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what what else do we I mean, we've I wanted to talk to Marshall about line hunting, wildlife management, the ranch, his horses. I mean, we hadn't even got into the part of his life when he had How many hog dogs did you have at the same time?
Speaker 4: At one time I had sixty finished hog dogs on the chain, plus puppies, and I had a few females.
Speaker 1: Were big time into hog hunting in Texas for a while.
Speaker 5: I was pretty heavy in it, yes, sir, Yeah, yeah, everything from like legitimately imported dogos, and I was what I was doing was taking I was basically taking a cata hula and coming up with a dog that was a half catahula quarter blue tech quarter dogo. That was my poison.
Speaker 4: And they were just really, really rough dogs. I ran all running catchdogs, and I just I had tons of them. I was guiding hunts five six nights a week, and you go through a lot of dogs.
Speaker 5: I mean, just like the bear deal.
Speaker 4: If you're gonna go every day, you gotta have a bunch of them and you wear them out.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I probably had seventy five eighty dogs at one time, but sixty sure enough.
Speaker 5: Put them on the truck, go catch pigs.
Speaker 1: Wow, for sure.
Speaker 5: I had six sets of those kennels and then about thirty chains.
Speaker 1: And hey, you take really good care of your dogs.
Speaker 5: I take huge pride and take care of my dogs.
Speaker 1: Have clean kennels.
Speaker 5: Your dogs are health They get out of They get out of their kennels twice a day every day. Kensey helps me with it, and we clean their pins twice a day. I mean, these dogs.
Speaker 1: Makes those pins for you.
Speaker 4: Full set, built those kennls, and he builds awesome dog kennles, y'all, And I know he will just be absolutely a static that he gets a shot. So Clay Nucombe, I already gave him some kennels. You're gonna have to divvy up, so.
Speaker 7: He needs two sets.
Speaker 4: We need we need our and Demingo runs hog dogs and stuff. That's why he started building kennels. He's another guy from Weatherford, you know. And but yeah, builds all some kennel's dog boxes all that stuff.
Speaker 5: So yeah, he'll dig that, But.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: To me, I've gone and looked at some nice dogs that I wanted to add to my pack. And sometimes I'll go up to a guy's place and I just look at the place around him, and I know he doesn't take as much pride in his dogs as I do.
Speaker 5: And I have a hard time purchasing a dog from somebody like that.
Speaker 4: Like when I show up and there's ten days worth of stuff in there and everything else, it's just to me, it's did he get lucky because he's not working hard enough to make a good dog. So like, I'd love to make every dog I have, but I don't have the genetics here to just raise all my puppies. Like there's I mean, if Warner Glenn calls you Thursday and it's like, hey man, I'd love to say you these two six month old puppies, Like I'd tell him yes while I was driving through my gate, I wouldn't even get out to unlock it, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean.
Speaker 4: Like there's people I'd love to get hounds from and and the best ones you can't get. And that's that's the hardest part, you know.
Speaker 7: Yea.
Speaker 4: So when I go over there, like some of these guys got a bunch of money and everything else and they got somebody else goes and I'm not gonna say any names, but there's a guy in Texas that lives like the dream life man, but he's got guys that take care of his dogs.
Speaker 5: He's got guys that hunt his dogs. He's got guys that like, to me, like, where's the fun in that?
Speaker 1: Just owning? Yeah? Yeah, he just pretty much.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine if I had like Jeffrey over there cleaning my pins out put my dogs in the truck, Like y'all wouldn't look at me. It's a hounsman. You're like, oh, dude, there's oh Rich Marshall. He's got they're gonna go load his wagon checked the air and his pires. You know, it's cool. I don't know, disrespect like I wish I would.
Speaker 1: I wish I could do that, yeah, but but.
Speaker 4: I just like I enjoyed my time with those dogs every and if you want a good handle and you want to be able to call them off, and you want to be able to do those things. It's like I can tree a lion and take a picture and do my deal and look at it and be proud of myself, proud of my dogs, and I can whistle and walk out of there and I don't even need to carry a leash. There's you know, And but that comes from spending time with them every single day, no matter what rain, snow, sleek, hell, we've.
Speaker 5: Had all of it since you've been here.
Speaker 4: But and I mean, I just I have a huge admiration for guys that really take care of their dogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I noticed that right off.
Speaker 7: I really didn't.
Speaker 1: I did, for sure.
Speaker 5: It's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.
Speaker 2: Maybe so, man, hey, this has been really good. Here we are at the lonesome cabin. We're gonna have to show people on YouTube the outside of the cabin. Well but uh, yeah, man, they were right here. This is where they shot it.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: So pretty crazy, pretty crazy. Justin uh, what kind of hat you got on there?
Speaker 7: Dog and Hunt SPA Equipment Arkansas Equipment. Any Dog and Hunt Spy needs call her hood yet Yep, had to give Marshall a long range Guess they don't have them New Mexico. You can order the equipment, have to.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, they're they're well known. Yeah, they're going to carry a full line first light.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 1: See that's what I heard over equipment ARCHI.
Speaker 4: So I can get a long range antenna in one of them best in the same places.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 1: Man, Wow, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 7: To go to Arkansas here, come up here, we'll go talking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm in have to ride a mule, yes, yeah, yeah, that's the only way to up.
Speaker 1: You gotta ride.
Speaker 5: Oh man, you can ride my big sixteen hand, that's all. I'll tell you what. I'm gonna make you ride that blue Horse.
Speaker 1: Hey, I've got to. I got to ride that book.
Speaker 7: You need to.
Speaker 4: You need to ride the little black Horse too. Oh, Taco, I'd like to. Taco's a sports car down there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, dirt, I probably.
Speaker 4: And it's crazy because you only have to hold the reins with one hand, so you got like a free hand to do stuff with, talk on the phone or whatever.
Speaker 1: Just because they're they're they're that Yeah, they're just they got that kind of handlong.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we call that that Bobby Bobby Hayin lines, my buddy that trains horses.
Speaker 5: We call that the that Bobby Hayline chocolate.
Speaker 4: He puts that chocolate on him, makes him sweet everybody after. He's the only person I've ever met that literally he can. He'll say, hey, can I see that horse for a minute, And he'll get on him and go do his thing for thirty forty minutes and he brings that horse over.
Speaker 5: It's worth two thousand more dollars as soon as he steps off of it. That's just the way he is.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, incredible.
Speaker 2: Well, marshall, thanks for having us out here. Man, we've been having an incredible tank.
Speaker 5: Y'all for coming, y'all welcome all anytime.
Speaker 1: Well anytime really been good.
Speaker 4: I want I want to see Bear come back with that handmade bow. Oh yeah, so you made your own bow, your own arrow heads?
Speaker 5: What do you do for the string? You make the string? Yeah, you make the string or send you uh huh.
Speaker 1: We read uh, we read the other I think you should kill it.
Speaker 5: I think she can killer line with it.
Speaker 2: We read just the other day and some historical archives where they were using twisted bear gut to make a bow string. Have to try that, you know, taking the intestines, drying them out and twisting it.
Speaker 7: Because I've used squirrel gusts.
Speaker 9: That's a bit twisted gut bow strings there.
Speaker 3: The first thing you need to do is get a bear.
Speaker 2: Okay, Josh, it's been a tall order this week up. Yeah, Well, keep the wild places wild because
Speaker 1: That's where the bears live and we don't know how to find it