Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or streams live every day at YouTube dot com slash the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 2: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Welcome to The Dan Patrick Show. I love Dan Patrick.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Home to the biggest guests and best sports talk on radio.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite.
Speaker 2: Normally, Oh the Dan Patrick.
Speaker 1: Hope you'll miss us.
Speaker 2: Watson Today, Dan and the Dants are off.
Speaker 1: Don't see another radio show behind my back.
Speaker 2: Instead you get Doug Gottlieb and broadcasting from the Mercedes Man Cave. This is the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 3: What up? Good morning to you Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio, iHeartRadio App. And may I be the first to wish you a happy New Year. You're like, now, everybody wished me a happy New Year last night, Matt. I don't know, especially if you're West Coast, you're getting up. You probably went to bed early. You're probably like going to bed. What's the point. Well, I don't know. It's twenty twenty five, Dan Byer alongside Happy new You're Doug, Happy New Year to you as well. Jason Stewart, our esteem producer joins us as well. Hey, Jay stew I can't believe it's twenty twenty five already, just saying that because it irritates. It irritates the heck out of him. So can you believe it's January already? I can't believe it's January already.
Speaker 4: It really is incredible how time flies.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes it does. There is a lot to get to with the three college wall playoff games tonight, with some other sports, YadA, YadA, YadA. But let's react to last night's Penn State win over Poise State. You heard it, I'm sure in the update. My guess is, if you're any sort of a sports fan, even if you're at a party, you were looking at a screen to see how it would go down. The final score is thirty one to fourteen. I have my own opinion on it. But Dan, let me ask you. Obviously, you're not only a college football fan and you watch this team, but you know, like Big ten is something that you watch a ton of because of all the sports and of all the sports teams you like. Of all the college football teams you like, Ohio State is your favorite team. So you've seen Penn State in action. I think both of us thought, boys, you would keep it closer. I think it was eleven point line. I'm trying to remember back to the end of yesterday's show. But what again, the final score is thirty one to fourteen. Just give me your sense of the game.
Speaker 5: I think that it was exactly what we expected. It was finished as a seventeen point victory. And if you didn't think that it was a seventeen point edge, that's fine. I think it probably was. Boise State had opportunities. A couple of miss field goals. They missed one on their opening drive, they missed another one they could have got them within a score in the fourth quarter. They had a bad interception in Penn State territory. So Boise State had their opportunities. But at no point did I feel that Penn State was threatened or would lose the game. There was never a point of that, and so I think it's kind of what we expected. And Doug, what this does allow is us to say, all right, does Boise State really deserve the buy? Does Boise State or a team like Boise State deserve to be in the field. I think the first the answer to the first question is no, and I think the answer to the second question is yes. Boise State fared just like other teams did in the first week of the college football playoff. So I last night, to me was just more of a confirmation of what we thought in what we believed, and there was nothing there that changed my mind.
Speaker 3: That's really really good, really really good breakdown analysis. Let me let me ask you this. Do you believe that Penn State is one of the elite teams in the country?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, And again I understand there's a area between yeah, yeah, there's a gray area between elite and should they get in the field sort of thing. And again that's what happens when you expand to twelve is you get to these kind of like, Okay, we're do we rewarded a good team? My point would be, yet, first of all, this should have been a first round game, right, Penn State is not a great team. They're they're at best the third best team in the Big Ten, which is which is you know, no small feet? Right, Oregon's good who they lost to a hot state too, and we've actually seen it on a football field. Right, This isn't the Indiana where we've only seen them play against one. We've seen them play against the two other what we think are elite teams in the Big Ten. They've lost to both, and so they'd be, by anyone's estimation, the third best team out of the Big Ten, which is the second best conference of the country. Okay, so I'll get to my thoughts in the game, but the point is and remains, and I think we are Actually we don't agree on a lot or maybe you know, sometimes anything in an argument, but I think both of us would agree on these two statements. One, this is the most overly fair field will probably ever have, right will probably ever have because Boise is not getting and I guess maybe they can figure out a way, but maybe they have to do it next year. But after the two year trial period, there's zero chance that a non power for school is getting a top four seat. Zero chance. I'm just so glaring to everyone, so glaring, and I can't. I think it was Chip Kelly who said it, and obviously coaching in the Horizon League. We're catching strays. He's like, look, Oakland can get in the field, but they're not going to get a number one seed, right Like, that's and that's and again I don't think the Mountain West is Oakland, but I do understand what he's saying, which is it was just the whole thing was ridiculous that they would get a top four seed.
Speaker 5: I think, And and there's another there's another reason for that, Doug is I think previously if you saw an unbeaten team in the old format be able to run the table and make a push. You know, we mentioned the likes of Hawaii and the old BCS format, but in what happened with UH with Cincinnati, you know, a few years ago you have Cincinnati making their push in then the American Athletic Conference. Yes, now, because of when you have eight teen schools in a league, when you have the SEC with Texas and Oklahoma, those power conferences are looked at differently. There's more of a separation. Back when Cincinnati did it, I felt that there was maybe a closer gap because more teams were spread out, more schools were spread out. You had an actual pack twelve conference. At the time, Big twelve had twelve teams. Now they've got sixteen schools. The SEC's got sixteen, the Big ten's got eighteen, and so's. It's just the fact of these leagues that those smaller the group of five or group of four are dealing with outside of the Power four. It's just a bigger gap. So to your point, I think it was different, you know, even you know, three four years ago, because conferences weren't like this. But now with the move of USC and UCLA and Oregon and Washington and Oklahoma and Texas and Arizona State in Colorado and Utah and Arizona, the whole deal, it's a bigger gap. So you can't these conferences is just way too strong and way too deep to allow that to happen.
Speaker 3: Again, they have too much let's just cut the brass tacks. They have too much money. They just have too much money. It doesn't mean you're buying a great team, but you're it's a in the attrition of the sport of football, okay, just the depth of overall bodies and talent and what you can do when your budget is ten to fifteen to sometimes twenty x your opponent, like you know, I mean I described this a little bit yesterday. There's as a kid who had a great game yesterday for Atlantic ten school, and I the mom and him and we were recruiting him when I got the job, and man, that guy think like this will work. This guy's going to come in. He got to play in the NCAA tournament last year. I wanted this kid as like, man, you fit exactly what I need, just a different level of athlete than I had on my roster. And when we got down to it, I just I was half of my budget for nil would have gone to one player, which again maybe in hindsight would have been smarter, you know, but I just, you know, I would have been massively over my budget, and somebody, you know, I would have been in a situation that some of these coaches are in where I would either have to go on beg for more money or I would have I would have stopped paying guys because I wouldn't have had the money. So the point is that the money does actually really really matter how much you have, how much you can spend. It's a crazy difference. There is one sort of evening of the playing field that still exists, and it's going to be interesting to see what happens now with this, there's a new it's a ruling, it's a temporary rules as a court made it for the for the Vanderbilt quarterback where your junior college year doesn't count. So again, like you're able those non power fives are able to one go down recruit. You know, f es kids are transferring up kids with an extra year, sometimes two extra years. Now you're getting older guys, so kind of like the old Byu effect where you can have twenty three, twenty four to twenty five year old guys, and the and the you know, the Georgia's, the Alabama's. You know, they're dealing with pro prospects that maybe they have a greater depth of athletes, but they don't have the agent experience. But generally, yes, this is this has been my argument for why the SEC deserved more seeds. And I know, you know two of them lost yesterday. I don't I find it hard to take those ones seriously because they're not the they're not the Championship Bowls. The point is that the Big Ten and the SEC have more money than everybody else. Now there's a couple of schools around the country that in their leagues, they have a bunch of money, and generally they've done really, really well. But yes, there's a greater separation there used to be. So the first thing is, I don't think we're ever going to have this again after these two years. And yet I'm with you. It's like we've completely overcorrected from where we always used to be. For years, it was we got to have a playoff, and hey, let's not forget about the little guy, because the little guy is what makes the NCAA tournament so popular. It's not actually really true, right, It's really not. What makes the NCAA tournament really popular is the bracket itself, the sixty fourteen field that everybody, your grandma, your son, your nephew, everybody can fill out and even with no knowledge. Yes, the Cinderella upsets are really cool, but they should always be included. But there's a difference between including a Boise State and giving them the three seed. I mean, it was honestly ridiculous, But in regards to the game, there wasn't a moment.
Speaker 5: Can I just your whole money thing that you're talking about, Like, I completely understand what you're saying, but money has never been a part of the discussion when we are trying to pick the schools. Now, they may be better and they made me spend more, but we've never said, well, that team's nil budget is blank, so or this is how much this athletic department brings in or this football program, therefore they're better. We've always done it on records, and we've always done it on leagues and strength of schedule, and who they've played and who they didn't play, who they won and who they lost to. So while money will change things, I do still think that it goes down to the things that I talked about, and the bigger part is just that it's there's no way you can now stack up a Mountain West Conference against the Big ten or an SEC.
Speaker 3: Yes, but it's again because of the money. Again, it's and it's just how much you spend. It really is. I mean, I wish it was about a bunch of other things, and I thought, you know, Boise, there's a lot of clever things they do. They're expertly coached, they block well, they tackle well, like there's a lot of good stuff. But again, the money matters because you just have more resources of players. Well, we've always had the more resources of coaches and stadiums or whatever, and there's always been the thought of stuff going on the table. Now. The reason we haven't had the discussion before because it wasn't out in the open before, and it was the difference wasn't as stark a contrast. It just wasn't like you go and look at like, how do they have all these players? Like they have more money. They they will pay players to red shirt everybody else. Why did the kid go there and sit and not play for a year because they told him, hey, we're on a three year program. We're gonna pay it more in your first year and then once you don't play in your first year. Yeah, you know. It really is what sort of about the money?
Speaker 5: Boise runs the table and is thirteen in all like that.
Speaker 3: But they're also they're playing against, with the exception of the organ game, they're playing against like funded or lesser funded teams. Boise for their league is very well funded. Boise in totality is not. So the point is, like, again, if you were the argument for any of these SEC teams and even Alabama and I know they fell and fell on their face yesterday losing to Michigan, Okay, but if you play against ten to twenty million dollar teams on a weeke in week out basis, just the overall bodies, the collisions. It's just different. It's like cashing genty. I mean, here's a perfect example. If I'm a running back, and I know that's not why he went to Boise State, but if I'm a star running back, I would much rather play at the Mountain West level or below simply to take care of my body for professional football, because the collisions he took last night were at least one point five x to the collisions he takes in the Mountain West because they're bigger, stronger, more athletic bodies, and those collisions wear you down more and have the potential for injury more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that's no different this year, right, I mean in college football and how we look at it, and they were still ranking Boise high up on the list because Boise had a close loss to Oregon and truly that was the feather in their caps. They played Oregon tough throughout the season. That doesn't none of that changes, None of that is any different from from now. And that's we're actually we're on the same page of what we're saying. You just think that money is the reason why. And I actually just think it's the depth of the conferences that now make the Mountain West seem lesser.
Speaker 3: Right, And it's my point would be, you're right, we're actually saying the same thing. And the depth of the conferences because those conferences are all way more funded, way better funded than the Mountain West. Is it just is I mean, so I agree with you and that that we've what we've done is we've elevated some of the you know, like Louisville was at the level of Boise State, and you go back twenty years ago. Right now, Louisville has been so so the if you want to call them mid majors of college football have have many of them have been moved up, and Boise State has been left behind. And because Boise State has been left behind, I'll tell you what. This is a parallel to ah you ready for it. This is a little bit like Villanova when they got left behind in the new Big East. Remember Villanova was for the last five years or so of the of when the Big East was Gargantia, when it was like fourteen teams. They were struggling, they were middle of the pack and then Syracuse, Pittsburgh, you know, Virginia Tech. They all left for the ACC and they were left with Creighton and DePaul and Providence and seen Hall with more true kind of mid majors. Now, the Big East has since elevated because Villanova built on that success in their league and then got better and better players and ultimately won two national championships. Okay, but they were They went from literally went from the middle of the road Big East team to dominant team in the Big East. And the only thing they change was the level of overall competition in the Big East. Right, they were a high major. They were a kind of an upper middling high major for a couple of years, and now they're playing against mid majors and they dominate them. That's what's happened to Boise. Where Boise now like again, their competition at their level has gotten lesser. So I'm actually agreeing with you. I think it's actually a really really smart point that people don't understand. It's that not only have they been kind of left behind, but now the teams at their level are I mean, like, look the Mountain West. It becomes like a juco for the for the Big Ten and for the SEC. Like that's what happens, you know, all those all those kids. The reason they can recruit guys that have more than one year of eligibility as they tell them, hey, come here, you won't make as much money, but you'll play. Then you'll get film, then you'll go to the SEC, You'll go to the ACC, you go to the Big twelve, you go to the Big ten. That's actually how you recruit, knowing that you're actually taking a slightly inferior player, but it's a better player than you could get in a traditional sense in recruiting right real quick in regards to the game. And this is again of the things that I've learned in my seven months of being a Division one head coach, is a little bit of what you talked about if you're at a talent deficit. And that game, that game was a mismatch. It wasn't a woeful mismatch. It wasn't like Penn State could just show up. But Penn State's a good, well coached football team, hard hitting, they run the football, They do a lot of the things that Boise does, only they just have bigger, better athletes and it's a little bit better, you know, as much as Boise gave away opportunities with the field goals and with the touchdown that was called back, and had the touchdown not been called back, that would have put some pressure on Penn State. It would have been a one score game and we would have seen what Penn State was made of. The fact is that Penn State also gave away opportunities. That game would have been over early had Clifford not fumbled or marching down the field to score. Yet again, it just it felt like Boise was stunned, you know, and would have been over early if not for the fumble. And then there was the interception the second half which there's a late hit, you know, a personal foul penalty, a dumb penalty on another Penn State player. Had that not penalty not happened, I think Penn State would have scored there again, game would have been over. But the big thing is for Boise, if you want to compete against a team that's better than you, it doesn't mean you can't win, but you have to be much closer to perfect than they were, and they just weren't. Yeah, you know, they just weren't. Because if you can get if they could have gotten it to one score. The pressure would have been on Penn State. You know, Penn State couldn't protect sometimes throwing the football and what they're passing in was a little shaky, and look it's you know, you start looking up and you're like, holy cow, we think we're better than them. We're only up three points here late. Yeah, I mean, there actually was a moment where like this could be interesting. But the overall takeaway, and maybe this is confirmation bias, was it wasn't. It was. It was a mismatch. One team was way better and we I'm not I coach at a mid major and basketball is a little bit different. You can mitigate some of that stuff with the three point line, with zone defenses, with a lot of kind of cleverness whatever, and we've seen it work in college basketball, and I don't think the contrast is as stark in basketball, because guys, the best of the best leave after a year or two in college basketball, or as they can't until year three in college football. But that was a game in which Penn State probably wins nine out of ten times, and in order for boys to win, they have to be close to perfect. They got to make the first field goal they got to make the second field goal, they got to not fumble the football, and even then it would have been really really tough to beat a good, solid, but not elite Penn State team.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if if the sound was on where you were at Dog, but I had the sound on. Bob was shoosing is great. But boy, anytime Ashton gent would get any sort of space, he would just scream genty because he was almost trying to will that narrative and that Boise State feel, you know, that that story, almost trying to will it to happen like it would. He would go five or six notches higher on an eight yard carry, you know, because he was getting stuffed. And then anytime he would actually have daylight, they you know, there would be you know, some excitement. They actually got up around one hundred yards last night. I don't think he broke one hundred yards, but yeah, it was they were they were trying, They were really trying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody everybody wanted to be you know, you always want to call the Cinderella call the big play, and it just.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he got over one hundred one oh four.
Speaker 3: He was at so still driving that trusty old ride and we'll keep you looking sharp with Maco from dense to faded paint. We've got you covered. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Maco. I'm Doug Gollibe. He's Dan if I were We're filling in for Dan the Dan Nettes. This is the Dan Patrick Show. The Eagles are apparently undecided on playing Saquon Barkley on Sunday. Why well, we'll discuss that next. But first, hey, thank you to Panini America, the official trading card and NFT partner of The Dan Patrick Show. Panini America offers a premiere collecting experience with the most sought after NFL, NBA and WNBA trading cards. Discover the hottest NFL rookies playing lights out this season, like Jayden Daniels and Drake May, plus legendary greats all on the award winning Panini Direct app. Panini America is also breaking new ground in NIL featuring college sports stars like cam Ward arch Manning, Pagebeckers, or even into digital collectibles. Well, don't miss Panini's NFT platform at NFT dot Paniniamerica dot net for early access to this year's rookie class. This season explore iconic brands like Prism, Select and Don Russ plus Panini in instant cards that capture sports biggest moments right after they happen. Don't forget to check out the special holiday deals and exclusive products for the ultimate sports fans. Visit Paniniamerica dot net or download the Panini Direct app today. Panini America the official trading cards and NFTs of The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Dan Patrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 3: Good morning to you and happy New Year. It's Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio alongside Dan Byrom Doug Gottlieb. So the Eagles are a little bit undecided on whether that Saquon Barkley is going to play this upcoming weekend. Why you say is are they undecided? Well, because whenning the game does nothing for them, right, This is an Eagles team that is thirteen and three and relatively locked in right in terms of in terms of playoff seating. The Lions are fourteen and two on the year, right, and they're going to take on the Vikings, who are fourteen and two on the year. And you know, look, the Eagles are sitting pretty having won their division, and they played the New York Giants, and of course sa kwon Barkley. I'm sure his reason for playing would be bonus is attained, but also the ability to get the all time single season rushing mark. This is Dick Siriani on the decision.
Speaker 6: I'll talk to our staff, I'll talk to the players, I'll talk to Highwie, you know, I'll talk to mister Laurie. I'll talk to everybody and to try to make sure I'm making the best decision for the football team. And that's your job as a head coach. Everything's taken into account, you know. I'm gonna always do what's best for the team and the individuals going for going for that, and I'm still thinking through a little bit of this too, But something I haven't told the guys yet, so I'll always let them know before I let anybody else take into a lot to account. Again, it's it's what's the best thing for the team, and then also what's the best for the individuals that are going for the record. You know, if you'd think back a couple of years ago to twenty twenty one, Smitty was going for the rookie receiving record. I think he was going to break to Shawn Jackson's rookie receiving record, and everybody else was resting. But we wanted or everyone else whatever it was, we didn't. We didn't play some other guys in that game. We went and got him that record. Every situation is a little different, not saying one way or the other how that's going to play out, or even that I've made the decision yet, But again, I got to tell the guys first when I do come to that decision, and I'll let you guys know, but a lot goes into it.
Speaker 3: What would you do?
Speaker 5: I would sit them. It seems really really neat and salacious to do it against the Giants, to do it against his former team, to have the record, to have history, but really for the Eagles, there's bigger fish to fry, and I felt, you know, Brian Know and Jeff Schwartz were on just prior to us on two pros, and Jeff made the point he got to play other guys then too, So yeah, i'd sit them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think this is really close. I do understand the Giants thing, the record thing, and you know, like even though all of us in the know would say, hey, a seventeenth game, it's a different record. We could say the same thing about Eric Dickerson as opposed to Oj Simpson, right, two more games there as well, and nobody brings that up with Eric Dickerson's right, So I do think that would fall by the wayside. But if you're if you're saying what's in the best interest of the team, and the only goal the Philadelphia Eagles goal is not to win the NFC East. It's not to get Saquon Barkley the single season rushing mark. It's to win a Super Bowl. And the the possibility of injury, just the possibility of injury makes it so it's not worth it. It's not worth it. What what what what do we gain? If it's about money or if it's about acclaim, then that's not the Saquon Barkley, right, That's part of the reason you left the Giants. Was because he had no chance in this and I believe that as as much as he left all of that positive equity behind with the Giants, I mean, he would have been mister Giant like the Tiki Barber and Michael Strahan and heck, even Lawrence Taylor is still legendary. Right. Obviously won a couple of Super Bowls. But you know, being a new life for New York Giant is a huge thing. And obviously Mara loved him and the fans loved him. He left all that behind, But it was a great decision, a football decision, a great decision. This is a much better team, a much better run organization in terms of what they have, what they have and blocking for you and their schemes, and you have a much greater likelihood of competing for and winning a Super Bowl. And so if that's your reason behind going to the Philadelphi Eagles, then this is not even it's not even not even a conversation that you have the other part too. It is And I'm going to stand on this because I know that that people will you know right now are overwhelmingly thinking, well, all of these other executives or the executives of their former teams have to be idiots because they've allowed talented running backs to leave. And you go back, you know, going back to last year, whether it's Josh Jacobs who's now with the Packers, or Saquon Barkley or others, it was all about you know, hey, you know, these guys need long term guarantee because they were franchise tagged and they were making you know, about the same money they were going to make, you know, on a yearly basis. It was multi year guaranteed contracts. Don't give them three years guaranteed. And so if you want to say that Josh Jacobs, who's having a great year or Saquon Barkley, who's having an incredible year, have proved everybody wrong, you're right as of right now. But it was a long term, long term like long term guy goes down. You know, running backs get hurt and they're easier to replace for less money, So why spend all that money? And I think that that argument, there's no period to the end of the argument that right now Saquon and Josh Jacobs are winning because I mean, look at Alvin Kamara. I mean, he can't stay healthy at all. He's part of that discussion. So let's see what happens over the next two years. But this weekend, I mean I wouldn't do it. I do think it's very Eagles to do it against the Giants. It's very Nick Sirianni to do it against the Giants.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree with all that. That actually worries me if I'm an Eagles fan to think that this is a consideration. And I know on a Harbon and Siriani, who I do think it time acts like a buffoon. But I do like it when coaches do say and reveal what their thought process is and not give us just a bunch of coach speak that he's actually letting us in on the process. I just can't believe that this is part of the process. When you signed him to a deal a single season rushing record last spring was that was the icing on the cake. That's the gravy. But the cake and the biscuits or the chicken fried steak, the meal is the Super Bowl. You know what. That to be messed up and you would be putting that in harm's way if you ended up playing him in Week eighteen.
Speaker 3: I actually think there's that you could make the argument okay, And I don't know if anybody, if you guys buy this argument, you could make the argument by by not playing him and not putting your top level team out there against the Giants. I think that's the ultimate kind of Saquon's revenge. Like you left the team that thinks were their rival, and we don't. They don't even exist in our yes, in our stratosphere, they don't. We don't even need, we don't need. You don't even need to play against them. They're so inferior to us, that would that would be my that would be my sale.
Speaker 5: And not playing that the uh love, The opposite of love isn't hate, it's yes, apathy, apathy in difference, yep in difference yes jas.
Speaker 4: The Eric Dickerson angle on this, guys, interest me a couple of things. Nick Serr just brought up a Devanta Smith rookie receiving record, which is just completely pales in comparison. If if you can make an argument that Eric Dickerson's single season rushing record is like the one record that actually people know about, Like this is like baseball has probably ten to twelve of these, but the single season rushing record is really up there. I think on a podium by itself. Earlier this week RG three, when he was kind of making a case against Eric Dickerson, rooting against Sakuon Barkley, He's like, hey, I was more than happy to give up my rookie rushing record to Daniels this year. It's like, these are not records that people care about, and I think this is a sacred record and it was done in sixteen games, and I think there's there would be something to Doug's final point there. There there's be something a little bit uh, there would be something gracious for Sakwon Barkley be you know what, I got my two thousand. I'm really happy. I want to rest before the playoffs. And that Eric Dickerson record I think should stand another year. I think there's there would be something gracious about that. There's a moment here that the Eagles could take advantage of for the reason you just said, Doug, And I think that this record does mean a lot. And Eric Dickerson should get his flowers this week and not be insulted by a bunch of former players, which he has been.
Speaker 3: Is he the rightful holder of the record, like I know he does, but I mean he had twenty one oh five, right, and OJ had two thousand and three and only did it in fourteen games. This is the Roger Merris right, Roger Merris to Babe Ruth.
Speaker 4: Because it stood for forty years or whatever it's been, I think it is right.
Speaker 3: It is for sixteen games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And Diggerson, I think, has claimed that he got his in fifteen even though he played I think sixteen games that season. I also, Doug, I just think it's I've said this over the last week or so and we've not been with each other. I just think that it was much harder than to rush the football, to run the football than it is today. I know we think that running backs are extinct and the running game is extinct, but I think that makes defenses built to try to stop quarterbacks and stop the pass and get after the quarterback. So actually, if you have an offensive line and can run the football, it's actually easier than maybe what Eric Dickerson and Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders had to deal with, you know, that long ago. I'm not saying that it's watered down by any means, but it's not.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no no. It's the exact same argument as basketball. Right, you literally take again when Michael Jordan was playing, you had a power forward in a center and they would occupy the paint. Right, they occupy the paint. So you have two bodies six foot eight, six foot nine and bigger occupying the paint. Now guys can attack the rim. You know, a Lebron James is built like a power forward and when he gets past his guy or gets going downhill there sometimes there's a rim protector who's you know, usually these guys have to be you know, they're in the two d and two hundred and thirty pound variety shop blockers maybe two forty. You know a lot of times they're coming from outside the three point line that it's so much more spread out, so there's not there's not the bodies in there. The same thing in the NFL, right, like you're mostly class base coverage is is uh, you know, is nickel. The linebackers are twenty pounds lighter than they used to be. You have to be able to run run. I mean, like look the reason that the the reason that the the Shanahan running game, what did they do? They brought in more athletic linemen that could move and it works right speed speed kills. It's a much aster, much more open game. So yeah, I mean, by design, I agree with you. There's one usually one less guy in the box, and the bodies in the box, especially in that second level linebackers the number one thing they have to do is be able to run to play linebacker, and so linebackers now are built more like safeties than like a converted defensive linemen. So I think that's a fair argument.
Speaker 5: I also find this Saquon argument interesting, and by the way, I did look it up. Eric Dickerson did pass OJ in his fifteenth game. He had ninety eight yards. In his final game, he had one hundred and two more yards than OJ, So he'd broken the record in his fifteenth game and then still played the sixteenth game and added to that record with ninety eight yards. Saquon needs one hundred yards, it's not like he needs fourteen. So if you go in the first half and gets ten carries for twenty seven yards, you're going to do this all the entire second half as well. Like this is it's not like it's just let's go let's go out there. Let's give him a couple of care, You'll get the record and we'll take him out like he needs one hundred and one yards. And you don't think that the Giants are just gonna put everybody on the you know, defensive line, who cares if whoever's quarterbacking for the Eagles is throwing the football all over the yard. I just put eleven men in the box and be like, all right, go ahead, good luck. It just doesn't make it. It doesn't make any sense. The more the more you peel off this onion, it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: By the way, Kenny Pickett is the answer. The only reason I knew that, and it was because I have Jalen Hurts was my fantasy court.
Speaker 5: Sure, well, Kenny Pickett got hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I'm like, who is their backup? Like, oh, Kenny Pickett? Oh okay, you didn't have to leave the state.
Speaker 5: But Kenny Pigott got hurt last week, so Tanner McKee had to come in. So you haven't even a question there on what's going to happen with the Eagles.
Speaker 3: Did I honest question, did you know who Tanner McKee? Was? No?
Speaker 5: No, And somebody had to remind remind me, like they I said, where do you even go to school? And he went to Stanford, So then I'm like, Okay, I think I remember that maybe in the draft process, but I can't remember remember any playing days or anything.
Speaker 3: The only thing I remember about Stanford was that was last year right where they lit up. They had that great game against Colorado. That's like the last I hadn't thought about Stanford football in so long that they went at Travis Hunter time and again it's a great game again against Colorado. Anyway, Yeah, Tanner McKee checked in, like who is that? I've never heard of that guy before in my life and he's now quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles. I'm Doug Gotlabe's Dan Byer in for Dan. The Danettes coming up on the Doug Coming up on The Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. Let's look ahead to twenty twenty five, shall we. We'll do so next.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 3: Doug Gottlieb Dan byer In for Dan The Danettes, Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio, Happy New Year two. It is twenty twenty five. It is twenty twenty five, So I've done this. Actually I do with my kids, Dan, I did with some friends last night. We were at a at a restaurant town called the Iron Duck, which is kind of our hang and you know, you you just you ask kind of an open ended question and you kind of let everybody kind of flush things out. Tw is gonna be interesting year. So we don't have an Olympics this year. Right last year we knew Olympics were coming. That was kind of So again, if there was one thing in sports you're most looking forward to, what would it be?
Speaker 5: Wow? I live on a sports calendar, Doug. I think, like many sports fans of football season to march madness into the Masters an opening day, and then back around through the NBA playoffs and then NFL training camps and then we do the psych again. I would think that the one thing that stands out to me, and that's it's golf golf wise, because it's an interesting year in golf. Number one of the US opens going back to Oakmont, which is like my favorite course, taking Augusta National out of it. Oakmont's my favorite course, but the Ryder Cups at Bethpage Black and I think it could get super super rowdy and super super contentious. So I'm gonna say that twenty twenty five Ryder Cup is what I would look most look forward to.
Speaker 3: Not the answer I was looking for. I was I'm not know I was looking for I was expecting. But I do know your love and passion for golf as well, and maybe it's that's the you know, that level of competition. I I am interested in how this, ultimately the College Tall Playoff looks like, just because we haven't had it before, you know, and it's been such a snoozer so far. I would expect today, okay, we're gonna have some pretty good games, and then next week, next the next time they take the field, it's gonna be a final four. It's gonna be really good. It's gonna feel it's gonna feel more special than the former final four that we had in football before. I'm only interested the super Bowl. Obviously you're gonna watch, you know. I actually think the playoffs are more interesting than the super Bowl. Just in is this finally the year the Bills get over the hump? Is it finally the year? Because you're watching the Ravens, You're like, well they could, they could potentially do this too, And no one actually thinks the Chiefs are going to lose because they just find a way and the defense is really good and you and you know, if you give Pat Mahomes the ball with any time in the clock and ask the Bills even thirteen seconds, he can pull off a miracle. But to me, football is only interesting in that element of it. You know again, I under I get the why people aren't that jazzed about the NBA. I think the NBA product is actually really really good. I watch NBA games like, man, these guys are incredibly talented, and some of those Christmas games were good. The issue with it is like, what is the there there? What gets me? What would get me excited to watch the NBA Finals? And I can't think of anything. Just can't. Obviously basketball with our own team, like we just want to win a game, I'd be excited for that. But in the sports calendar, yeah, I don't. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 5: Bills are unique because I would flip it and say, like if I looked at a football thing, I would say the Lions just to get to the Super Bowl, because I wonder if the Bills do break through and then they don't win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Are we back here again?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, Well, the Lions just have never appeared in one.
Speaker 3: Well. I do think it would be amazing if you had Bills and Lions in the Super Bowl, because you have two of those franchises, right, I think? Yeah? Well, I mean, and it was, it was really really good, really good big, But I can't it's again. I'm struggling to find the NBA thing that gets it. Baseball, we finally had Yankees Dodgers. That was cool. I'd love to see that again. But I am excited about college football because I thought it would be different. It hasn't been yet. Maybe today, maybe today it changes. Maybe today the chaos that we that we felt from we feel for March madness, maybe that's what happens, but it hasn't happened yet. You know what, let's do that. Let's coming up next. Let's get into Ohio State versus Oregon. You know, on paper, if you didn't know that these two teams have played or Ohio States, other losses a loss in the year, this could be a national championship game. Okay, who is the day big guesst four, Most Important four. Let's get into that next with Dan Byrom Doug Gotliebisz to Dan Patrick Show