Speaker 1: Welcome to another edition of Bills By the Numbers.
Speaker 2: You know what we do here.
Speaker 1: We let the stats tell you where the Bills are at coming up? What has one week of training camp revealed about the players on offense and defense? Does anyone stand out who must still do more to ensure a spot on the roster? And we'll have our one burning question. Anyone have an extra umbrella? Glad you could stop and see us here on Bills Buy the Numbers. He is Bill's Wall of Famer Steve Tasker on Bills played by playman Chris Brown. And we're a week into training camp and while all the answers haven't quite come into focus, we do have some evidence to work with concerning Buffalo's roster of talent. First and foremost the offense, which was the main constant heading into the first season under Joe Brady. It has relied answers at quarterback, running back, offensive line, tight end, receiver is where the new investments were made. Thoughts on DJ Moore through the first week.
Speaker 3: It's exciting. He's been as consistent and as good as anybody on the field. And it's exactly I don't know that you could have scripted it going any better for him. He's been available, He's and I mean to Josh, he has been open, productive, and he's been a big part of what the offense has done and when they've thrown the football. So I think on all counts, you've got to be really optimistic about where the regular season could go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we haven't even gotten to preseason games yet, but I think if these performances in these training camp practices are any indication, the Bills may have very capably filled the number one on this team, maybe for the first time since Stefan dig left. That was the intention of the trade pulled off by Brandon Bean, and it looks like it is going to come to fruition. Everybody knock on wood right now to make sure that it happens. Is there another offensive player you would point to and say job well done?
Speaker 2: First week?
Speaker 3: I'd say Kincaid. I mean, you want him to stay healthy. He took a couple of shots, got up and is and has shaken it off. He looks stronger. He's having a really solid camp. You need him to have a really solid camp. His availability is crucial I think for the for the big picture, and he's played exactly like we thought he would. Still catches the ball extremely well, gets open extremely well. His counterbalance to what we just spoke about with Dj Moore, I think is almost indispensable. If they want to do everything they want to do this year, he's got to be available and he's got to be exactly the kind of player he's shown in this camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got a couple of guys that I'm encouraged by. Joshua Palmer is one. I think he is moving and running routes and getting yards after catch in the way I think we all anticipated he would when he first came to the team last year. Again, I don't know what it's gonna look like when we get to the regular season, let alone the preseason, because we don't know what the back half of the pecking order is going to be yet at the receiver position. But there have been some early signs there that I feel are more encouraging than the ones we saw in training camp last year when he was new on the scene. Maybe that's a byproduct of being a full year in the system. Maybe it's a byproduct of him actually feeling healthy for the first time in about eight months. But I think we've seen some positive steps from his game, and then Ty Johnson, I think we all respect the role that he has on this team as the quote unquote designated third down back. I just think he's still underrated because I just feel the versatility of his game is so valuable. Because James Cook cannot be depended upon to do everything at the running back position. And we've heard Joe Brady say, and we've had we actually had him on our show on One Bill's Live right at the tail end of training camp and we didn't even get this cover this ground with him. But he has even said in earlier parts of the offseason that he would like to get Ray Davis and Ty Johnson a little bit more involved after James kind of carried the load and then some I mean three hundred and six carries last year. I think in reviewing all of that, as great as James was, I think he would because I think he values the contributions that Davis and Johnson in particular could make that he wants to try to find ways to incorporate them more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not that James Cook can't be relied upon or can't be trusted to do everything. It's he shouldn't be because you don't wear them out. Yeah, it's it's asking for him to be unavailable on for a stretch of games. I mean, he's gonna You're just just too physical. So you know, you want to be able to lighten the load on him and Ty Johnson. If you're looking at Ty Johnson or Ray Davis and if those if those two guys, if they were four low four four guys, they would be number one backs in the NFL. I mean they're just that good. Ty Johnson is really versaally. He catches the ball extremely well, runs routes extremely well, and he runs with it really well. But you got James Cook, who's, you know, the most dynamic athlete on the offense and proved it last year. You're trying to make sure you're kind, You're trying to be a good steward of his workload, and Ty Johnson and Ray Davis are the answers to that. But you can trust James Cook with anything, but you don't want to throw everybody else to the side. You've got to make sure he's going to be there and get him through an eighteen game regular season in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Flipping it over to the defensive side of the ball. What player has made the best impression over there for you?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's Caleb E. Larms or I mean, I mean hard not to be. Practice after practice after practice, he gets more and more and more entrenched into the inside linebacker with the green dot. He has done nothing but get better and tighten his grip on that spot.
Speaker 1: I echo your sentiments there. I will also throw Michael Hoyd into the mix. His recovery has been remarkable. He is full speed, full go, and now it's just a matter of everybody crossing their fingers and toes that he can get to the regular season and give this team seventeen games, because I think he can be a force multiplier for the pass rush. He might not be one of the top two guys at outside linebacker. That's probably Rousseau and brand Chubb, but he's that third element that probably comes onto the field in obvious pass rush situations and maybe Rousseau's kicking inside and Hoyt's on the outside, or maybe he's dancing around at the second level up at the line of scrimmage. I think what he has brought from an energy perspective and from a.
Speaker 2: What's the word I'm looking for.
Speaker 1: A resilience perspective I think is very inspiring to the rest of that defense. And then d Alford, I think very quietly, there's this under the that's a big position to fill and big shoes to fill. Taron Johnson had a whale of a career here for a fourth round draft choice. He's got one of the top five plays in team history with the one hundred one yard interception return for a touchdown in the playoff game against Baltimore in twenty twenty. I mean, that guy put in eight really good years here and it's it's an important role in defense is in this day and age in the NFL, and I just think the way Dee Alford has hume in and transitioned into this defense has been so smooth that I think it's kind of been lost on people who are focused on other things. And I think he look, Steve, we've talked about it. That guy was the first guy they signed in free agency. Like you knew the priority that position was when you saw that happen in early March.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he is not disappointed. I'm with you on that. This defensive backfield, as you said, we've got a pretty good idea. The front at least, who they'll be, how good they're gonna be, and who fits and who doesn't is one thing. But out of the seven front set, out of the seven of the front seven, those spots we know probably who at least eight guys and that rotation are gonna be for sure. In the back end, not so much. The corners. You got the top three, but you're gonna need a fourth. The nickel guy. You're gonna need two of those guys, maybe a third who is also a safety hybrid who can go back and forth and play a swing safety. And the safeties you're pretty sure about. The front two, maybe the front three, you're gonna need four of those guys. Yeah. De Alford coming in and playing the way he has is a big I think a little bit of a sigh of relief for those who follow this kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Give us an under the radar player that has shown more in the early going than perhaps you expected.
Speaker 3: On each side of the ball anywhere under the radar. That's a good that's a good one.
Speaker 2: You want me to give you mine.
Speaker 1: First, you give you me years I got, I got, I got a few guys, but I think Dwayne Carter is a player that has been largely forgotten by Bills fans because August twenty fifth last year, he ruptures his achille and he has the worst of the two achilles ruptures off his heel and that thing rolls up like a window sash. I talked to him last week. He has added eighteen pounds of muscle mass to his frame to play nose tackle, and I've noticed him he has flashed in some of the practices. Now, is this a guy that's gonna start. No, he's probably do uh Dion Walker's backup for lack of a better place to put him right now. But I've noticed him. There's a suddenness to his game. And look, I don't think he's gonna be a world beater, but I think he's gonna be a very capable player to rotate through in this defense. And then it's hard to ignore Jalen Kilgore. I mean, this is a guy running with the third team and he's making plays all over the field. It almost looks too easy for him, and I'm wondering when Jim Leonard makes the decision like I got to give this guy a bigger challenge because he's not a third teamer. He's got to get up to the second team. Let's see how he does in preseason. But the guy leads the team in interceptions through the first week of training camp. A fifth round on rookie like that doesn't just go by the board as under.
Speaker 3: And that's that's that's unusual, particularly on a team that's this accomplished. Uh. Sometimes you'll get a guy coming in from the draft who all of a sudden, the team's got their first big time player and he'll come in and make a splash like that. But on a team like this, Kill, what killgir has done is really true. And I like what you said about Dwayne Carter. That is that's a guy that disappeared last year who you had some high ho he's a second round pick, right, third round pick. He is. He's a guy that you kind of thought, well he might contribute and then he was completely gone. He comes back and he's transformed himself. I saw the guy walking out, like, like, who is that?
Speaker 1: Do you know how hard it is to add eighteen pounds of lean muscle mass in account you and I couldn't do it? Like four to six pounds is a major victory for most.
Speaker 3: Hard to get uh bless his heart, he did it and that and I think that's he is probably the guy in the whole list. Kill Gore is another one, and a guy who's played above my expectations, who's shown you know that just like Wow, Okay has been Max Harriston, that guy has his energy and his twitch and him showing up this is the kind of camp I wish he'd had last year when I'm like, wow, that he's a lot of fun to watch and I'm I think he's riveting. You're gonna see him out there playing some man and it's gonna be fun to watch him play. So that's been a guy who's caught my eye. Not that he's under the radar. He's a first round draft pick and he's a corner and on all that stuff that goes with it, but he has really surprised me with his energy and his abilities to cover.
Speaker 1: And I realize we haven't even reached the preseason yet, but who needs to do more back in the practices that one Bill's drive come next week and in the upcoming preseason games to cement their role on the roster.
Speaker 3: I think I still think it's Keon Coleman, he got to do more. He's got to do more. He's got to be more productive. He's got to draw more targets because of his separation, He's got to make more catches. I think he need. And now he's been quiet verbally. I mean he hasn't been and I and I respect it, but I think that's a guy that.
Speaker 2: Needs to.
Speaker 3: Do more. I think he needs to show up more. DJ Moore has dominated the wide receiver conversation in this training camp. Khalil Shakir has been absolutely rock steady. That guy gets on one on ones, he gets open, makes the catch, turns it up the field. He is exactly who you think he is. Keon has been nondescript.
Speaker 1: I think I was gonna say I got a couple offensive linemen here, guys that have been depth pieces as young players. I think Tyland Grabil's got to step up here. This is a guy who has been injury riddled his first two years with the club. He's healthy now and I think he's gonna have to step up and seize that swing tackle role because there's a fourth round pick by the name of Jude Bowery that's nipping at his heels for that job and will it come down to preseason game performance. Probably, But those two guys are gonna see a lot of time at the tackle positions because eventually they're gonna be sitting down Dion and Spencer Brown. They don't they know what those two guys are about. They're not gonna play a ton in the preseason. Those two guys are gonna be going head down there. As to who's gonna be to swing tackle there.
Speaker 3: They're both really good athletes for the size they are. I mean they're there's they're the size of NFL offensive tackles.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Both of them are extremely good athletes. Right now, I think they're even as even though you got a you know, Jude Bowery is, he's got some stuff to learn, right I think right now we're gonna get to see both those guys in the game. There's probably this first preseason and then.
Speaker 1: This other The other guy I thought of was Cedric van pran Grainger, a guy that's been a backup his first two years, had a setback last year, going into camp with a pulled calf muscle. It pretty much cost him all of training camp and he was behind the rest of the year healthy now, and he's got competition in the form of veteran Lloyd cushion Berry, who's battling him for that backup center spot. And I gotta say I was encouraged by what we saw from Van pran Granger and O line D line one on ones. He's winning battles over there. That has to continue. Because cushion Berry has a history with Joe Brady. He was his center on the twenty nineteen LSU team that won the national title. There's history there, and to overcome that, you've got to overperform and convince them I am the better option. And so I'm hoping that Van pran Granger can kind of put together a solid preseason to say, hey, you guys drafted me for a reason. I know you got Connor McGovern he's your rock solid pivot man. Something happens to him, you can count on me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I think another guy that's in this conversation, he's been around for a minute, and this Travis Clayton, big tall, rangy athlete. They flipped him over to the defensive line. I think they're desperately trying to find a way to get him on the field because he is that much of an elite athlete In the preseason, I think he is gonna get some reps at D line. How those go will determine whether he's got a future or not with his club. I don't know that he's gonna be able to carve out a role this year, but if he shows promise and they can, if he can squeeze one more year of development on the defensive side, all right, maybe you've got something there. But by that time, the guy's gonna be in his mid twenties or late twenties, and he's gonna get one contract out of this and you're gonna see, and we'll see. But that's where I see him. I mean, it's coming to the point where he's given this a shot for two or three years. Is gonna be his fourth year. I think he's got to get on the field somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is a physical specimen, there's no doubt about that. Time for the numbers game, where Steve will be quizzed on Bill's player names and initial abbreviations. Question number one, Steve, how many names does Ray Davis have in his full name? Just give me a number. How many names do you believe he has? In his full name, got four names in his name?
Speaker 2: It's actually five? Oh, here are you?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 1: You know what his real first name is? It's Raymon R E hyphen M A j N. But here is his full name.
Speaker 2: You're ready?
Speaker 1: Raymond Walter, Jamar Damar Davis.
Speaker 3: Oh the Shamar Damar thing. I did realize. I did remember that. Now that you say that he's got five.
Speaker 1: Names, he's got a key and peel full name there, that's pretty impressive. Question number two, what does the DJ in DJ Moore's name stand for?
Speaker 3: Damon James?
Speaker 1: That is incorrect, but it was a valiant guess. It's Deniston Junior. So he is DJ Denniston Moore Junior, and one.
Speaker 2: Of his boys is DJ.
Speaker 3: The third? All right?
Speaker 2: Question number three?
Speaker 1: What does the the T and the J stand for in defensive lineman T J.
Speaker 2: Sanders name?
Speaker 1: This is pretty unique, so I don't really extract various Jamara, this is what it is. Okay, it's Tenary J. His middle initial J is just the initial. It's no name, it's just a J.
Speaker 2: Isn't that cool?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 2: I think that's kind of cool. Kind of cool. Makes autographs a lot easier.
Speaker 1: Question number four, He's not the only TJ as we know, So what does the T and J stand for in rookie Edge Rusher TJ.
Speaker 2: Parker's name?
Speaker 1: And I would encourage you to go with one of the guesses you've already made for the Jays.
Speaker 3: To various James. Uh, it's it's.
Speaker 1: Actually Tamarrian Jamar t O M M A r Ion. Didn't I say that for Tomorian? I didn't hear Tomorian. You said Jamar earlier, but this time you said James. Good guesses. I didn't really expect you to get any of them. I'm kind of trying to shed some light for our fans as to what the initials stand for.
Speaker 3: Understand why these guys go by initials.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean say it five times fast. Best of luck, especially Ray Davis. Are you kidding me with that name?
Speaker 3: Damar Jamar?
Speaker 2: That sound?
Speaker 1: You know like a lot of the names in Hispanic culture have four and five names because they use maiden names and family names and all that stuff. It looks like Ray Davis's family did the same thing. All right, we move now to our one burning question, Steve, why will this defense have a better pass rush than they did the previous season?
Speaker 3: There's more than One reason one, the five man front rather than the four man front makes it just that much more difficult for offensive linemen to sort through which four coming. When he got four hands on the ground, you kind of got that four hands. And if a fifth and if one of those guys on the ground in a four man rush, if one of those guys with his hand on the ground backs out into coverage and they bring one of the stand up guys, that stand up guy's coming from depth, and it takes a little longer to get there, that kind of thing. That's one reason. Two. I think there is more guys who on this roster who fit into a three to four scheme physically prototypically than we thought there was gonna be when camp opened up. And I think that's gonna help them. Third reason, I think they got a play caller as a defensive coordinator, and I think he's gonna get him some just from the way he calls a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would tend to agree with a lot of that. I will say I believe the pass rush has greater depth at the quote unquot edge rusher position that they can roll through and you have a proven commodity in Bradley Chubb, you have potential in TJ.
Speaker 2: Parker.
Speaker 1: I would even roll Michael Hoyt into a proven commodity, you know what he is, and even Greg Russou to a certain extent. You know, Greg Russo can probably get you eight sacks a year. So if Bradley Chubb can get you somewhere between ten and twelve, and Michael Hoyt stays healthy and can get you six to six to nine.
Speaker 3: Nine to eleven or nine to eleven, whatever.
Speaker 2: And TJ.
Speaker 1: Parker can get you four or five, now you're in business. And I think the depth of what they can roll through there will be beneficial to the production. I agree with your play calling point on Leonard. I think he's going to be able to devise some things to generate pressure just from a scheme standpoint. And I also believe with more man coverage on the back end and better man coverage, it's going to force that quarterback to pat the ball every once in a while to give those pass rushers more opportunity to get the quarterback.
Speaker 2: On the ground.
Speaker 3: I agree with a lot of what you said as well, that the cornerbacks I think are better and deeper, and so are the safeties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a better group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a better group, and they I think this defense, this scheme three to four fits them better.
Speaker 1: Our closing figure takes a look at the last time the Bills employed a three to four defensive front. It was during the twenty sixteen season under then head coach Rex Ryan. Here were the numbers of players kept at the respective positions on that side of the ball. Yes, I keep records knowing the numbers are likely to be different than we've seen in the previous nine seasons. At defensive line. In twenty sixteen, with a three to four defense, they kept five defensive linemen on the initial fifty three man roster. A sixth was suspended Marcel Darius. A total of nine linebackers headlined by Lorenzo Alexander and Jerry Hughes, and eleven defensive backs for a total of twenty five players on defense, not counting Darius. We should mention this was a defensive head coach in Rex Ryan. I don't know that we'll see nine linebackers this time around. Yeah, but six defensive linemans will lead to some tough decisions out there.
Speaker 3: You won't have twenty five guys on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 2: You will not not with Joe Brady as your head coach, right and offen, it'll.
Speaker 3: Be twenty three to twenty four. Yeah, and that's that. That roster spot makes a big difference.
Speaker 1: It doesn't sound like a big difference, but it is right for sure. That'll do it for this edition. Be sure to subscribe on whatever podcast platform you use so you know when our next episode is out. Because when you need to know about the bills, you need to check bills by the numbers for Steve Tasker out Chris Brown, Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: We'll catch you next time.
Speaker 1: Everybody,