Speaker 1: I want to see what Jonathan Major's wearing in high school. He was.
Speaker 2: I really don't want to know what he was wearing in high school. I want to know if this became this thing.
Speaker 1: Or was like this.
Speaker 3: That man was wearing top hats and Dutch clogs. That is like weirdo.
Speaker 2: That's bugs is crazy, tugs crazy what.
Speaker 1: They carved him himself.
Speaker 3: Mom, they roasted my wittles again. It's like, all right, bro, you gotta stop calling them wish ship.
Speaker 1: Chips in your.
Speaker 4: Kuala bears are racist. The bows, the money, our turney stuff.
Speaker 1: I can't tell me.
Speaker 4: When I die.
Speaker 3: Bury me inside the Booty Club. There it is ladies and gentlemen, gentiles and little Mama's aike. Welcome to another phenomenal episode of My Mama Told Me.
Speaker 4: The podcast where we die deep into the pockets of black conspiracy theories.
Speaker 3: And we finally work to prove that Lebron James is never going to retire from the NBA until he gets his oldest son into the league, Trinidad James. He wants his boy to play with him, and he'll fight to the end until sweet Trinidad makes.
Speaker 4: It to the league.
Speaker 3: That's that's my theory. I'm Linkeston Kerman and I'm excited for the James family.
Speaker 4: I'm David Boy and that's my favorite James brother. James. I've seen him in a parking lot one time when he was like on like in the middle of it. Ye, he looked good. He look is that parking garage behind West Side Comedy Theater. Yeah, and he was in like a hell cat and he was you look happy. I got bad news, brother. He worked there now at Nigga is parking cars.
Speaker 3: Now, I think.
Speaker 4: That's the okay life. Like one hit like the one hit right, and then you just go on to do whatever else you were going to do. I don't think that's a bad life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think we should give more credit to the people who just experienced the top of the top for a second like that is such an impossible thing to accomplish that the fact that he made it up there is gorgeous and good for you, you Trinidad James. We're proud of you for everything that you've accomplished. We miss you, We miss you.
Speaker 4: Man. Well, it's fine, we did what we could with you. It's a good summer.
Speaker 3: Our guess today, I don't know how he feels about Trinidad James his eyes, his eyes were darting in a way that I'm not sure he's convinced that Trinidad's legacy is as rich and fulfilled as we think it is. But I'm excited to hear how he feels about it. He's He's a hilarious comedian, a returning guest on the podcast. Just a funny motherfucker, one of my favorite people to hang out with. You know him best from Flatbush Misdemeanors. He's one of the creators and stars of that show that damn Michael Jay. He was a writer, and he has his own hour coming up September twenty ninth at Union Hall seven point thirty. By your goddamn tickets. They're gonna want to see him perform. Give it up for our guest, mister Kevin. I.
Speaker 5: So she pulls out her breast and she's juggling them, look like she's about the fall over. Then she bends over and pulls down her pennies, spreads her cheeks. I'm not lying, I'm telling what's on the video. Spreads her cheeks. This is madness.
Speaker 2: Where is that from? I was expecting, like a clap or something.
Speaker 3: That's how we do things.
Speaker 1: Spreds.
Speaker 4: This is madness.
Speaker 1: They sound like Bernie mad.
Speaker 3: There's a I guess, a viral video of a teacher that got exposed on her only fans, and this is the the prosecuting lawyer for the school, for the school board shaming her for for all the things that she did in her only fans video, if I'm remembering correct.
Speaker 4: Which, by the way, that's what I always wish court was come ons in the courtroom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it made me so mad when I found out that like most most trials don't go I mean most like fucking lawsuits don't go to trial. That there's not the theatrics are not a part of the traditional lawyer experience at all.
Speaker 4: Court, even when you get in trouble, court is boring as ship.
Speaker 3: I haven't experienced it, but but it seems like.
Speaker 4: It would be. You've never been to court even for like a ticket? No what no?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, so life skin privilege.
Speaker 3: Now, I just don't fight it.
Speaker 4: I just pay it. I just young, I used to them when I have no money. Yeah, you've never been in court for anybody else either. No, I'm not gonna help you if you go down.
Speaker 3: What do you want me to be a character witness?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, it's just like emotional supporter. Like you never have you ever been in court at all, like for anything.
Speaker 3: I have been at court a few times my dad. I've talked about this a little bit on the podcast. My dad. You know, his profession is, uh, he's an it guy, but his passion is communism, and so he is often he has he has friends, he has people that he's sort of like actively supporting that like have had court cases, and I've gone to court with him a few times to like be a part of witnessing, you know, the things that are transpiring. But I've never personally had any like stakes and the ship.
Speaker 4: You don't talk about it, but you're the wildest guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, I got some weird shit going on at home.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: You know you went to communism trials.
Speaker 3: It wasn't communism. They are intense cases that I've been to though. It's like it's going to jail for for very extreme things that are going to like keep them there for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 4: That's core.
Speaker 3: You've been to quarter yeah, yeah, but but you know I got a happy meal afterwards.
Speaker 4: I was chewing.
Speaker 3: Kevin, have you been to court? Are you a court guy?
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, when I didn't have when I didn't, like I said, when I was like having to fight tickets whatever, speeding, but nothing serious like my little brother is more serious stuff. But that that, uh, that clip is interesting to me.
Speaker 3: Because marinating on this col.
Speaker 2: Because Bro like was very descriptive like he was. It seemed like he watched more than he needed to, you know what, you know, pulling down her pants, spreads her bunchies, sticks her finger in her ass, lacks the finger. Thirty four minutes of this. You know, I don't know if you need to see. Oh, like, you could have just kind of seen the thumbnail and been.
Speaker 3: Like, a she willden you know what she was bros.
Speaker 1: Bro was like, nah, I got research for court.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you know what she was up to it. Moreover, you didn't have to watch it that many times. You it a few times.
Speaker 1: You had the bookmarket judge like, all right, that's enough. He's like, no, no, no, that's another one.
Speaker 3: When she get a banana, right, she pulls down her pennies.
Speaker 2: He's sweating while he's talking about the Cloyd.
Speaker 4: Thirty two creat.
Speaker 6: Juggling breast, Victoria's Secret, Danny's ball line.
Speaker 3: We didn't come here to talk about goddamn perverts on the internet. We got a topic from you, Kevin, A very exciting topic. I wouldn't necessarily qualify this as a specifically black topic, but I do think it is very much an active conversation in many black households, So I'm excited to cover it. But you said, my mama told me bullying it's healthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so not still healthy because it's but and as it's like she didn't tell me this, Yes, she showed me this.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a conversation, but it was that bullying is healthy through her actions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I watched my mom.
Speaker 2: I mean, my mom bullied us, you know what I mean, Like like like I remember, like even my teeth, Like my mom was constantly like she stopped.
Speaker 1: She doesn't do it as much now.
Speaker 2: When I used to like go back home like maybe like five seven years ago, she'd just be like, we are you gonna.
Speaker 1: Fix your teeth? Like Anna, you're braces, And I'm just like, yo, this was your responsibility.
Speaker 3: She gave it to me, lady, I'm an adult. Now you could have done something about this, yeah, But.
Speaker 1: I'm like, but it's not.
Speaker 2: It's like it creates I mean, the thing is that it creates character, right or.
Speaker 1: At this point.
Speaker 2: Because at this point because at this point, like I don't know, if you're bullied about something that you're insecure about, it can create character. Should Yeah, But if you're bullied about something that you're insecure about, there's two ways to kind of go about it. One is to like run and hide from this ship, or the others to like lean into it and be like, so, what mother fucker shit is the way that it is, you know. And that's when I see like the health side of it. That's what I kind of mean, where it's just like, you know, you can only go through something so long before you're just like, oh, I'm finnah still just be ashamed about this shit everywhere I go. It's like you not heard every angle that could possibly kind of you know, and then you just suffer in silence like a real man, just.
Speaker 3: Go Okay, Bory, where do you fall in this? Or are you are you? Are you? Would you identify as somebody who was a victim of bullying at any point in your.
Speaker 4: Life younger, younger for sure. I'm soft hearted and tender headed, so younger for sure. And then I start once sports started up and stuff like that, it kind of wasn't like that anymore. I So I hear this all the time. My mom also big proponent of bullying, making fun of the less fortunate physically or otherwise. Huge fan, hilarious woman. But I don't agree with this just because it's like, yeah, there are two ways, but I feel like only the top tier of people overcome it. Most people just let it become deep seated in and develop terrible habits to overcome it. Right, Like, So if we're looking at it like dealing with people on the whole, yes, there is that twenty percent who for sure become better people because of bullying. But then there's like the eighty percent who developed drinking problems and eating disorders, and that's where you gotta like worry about, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's I think it's more than twenty percent, though you think it's more than Yeah, absolutely, I feel like it's more than twenty percent because bullying, like bullying even today, like women bully broke dudes all the time.
Speaker 4: Okay, broke, My fucking what you want to do.
Speaker 1: It's bullied, it's brilliant. You're broke shaming me, and.
Speaker 2: It works for a lot of people where they's just like I, that's what I need to not be called broke, and then you turn.
Speaker 1: It off, you know, Floyd Mayweather type.
Speaker 4: But but there's one Floyd Mayweather. Most dudes are broke.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I mean like personality where niggas think they money is they they hold? Mean, you know what I'm saying, like you go out like nigga, I got money, nigga, what the fuck she should want to you know what I'm saying. But that's that's that's the unhealthy part of it. But you're not broken no more, you know what I mean. So what was I gonna say?
Speaker 1: Oh my, so my mom, my mom, this is going great.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I'll be honest, I'm scared.
Speaker 4: I'm a little.
Speaker 1: Well because because the physical I want to hear. I want to hear.
Speaker 2: I want to hear what your mom was saying to people, because I seen my mom say something that this woman she was short in fact, and my mom said.
Speaker 1: She said she looked like a penguin.
Speaker 4: That was funny. That's hilarious. That's that is hilarious.
Speaker 2: Now she ain't do anything about it, but yeah, this is but okay, so this is but this is where this is where I'm going with it. And I ain't even finished the full when I started. But bullying, I feel like it's healthy for the bullier.
Speaker 7: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Is that was that up for grabs?
Speaker 3: I think the I always knew that the bully was having a good time, a great time.
Speaker 4: It's fun to bully people. That's not what the argument. Yeah, I would is that what we're talking about. Yeah, it is great, it's hilarious, it's really fun to bully people.
Speaker 3: That's I don't know that that's I don't know that that's the population we were looking to save. But certainly, certainly, I think we should acknowledge that there is a big population of bullies that are becoming more empowered, riving, thriving, Yeah.
Speaker 4: For sure. But I hate that idea when people when usually bullies, it's the only bullies, you take that stance where they're like, no, I was trying to help you. No, you're a mean, very funny person. It's not like like you're not like an arbiter of justice. You're not. It is in no means any type of care for the like subject of the bullying, and if allowed, it will get taken. Two extremes in football, we could we put a get in the trash can. We cut people's hair who didn't want it to have happened, like right, like if you just let it run rampantly and what and what that?
Speaker 1: And what that kid do? He knew not to come.
Speaker 3: Around on football.
Speaker 1: He found out that it wasn't healthy for him to be around the people. And so he was like, Yo, I'm.
Speaker 2: A finer, And who knows if y'all didn't throw him in that trash can, he probably still been around trying to become Ladani and Thomason and some goofy ship. But since y'all throw him in that trash can, he was like, yo, I'm really good at accounting, and they he went over there and started the account.
Speaker 4: That's not how I remember it ending.
Speaker 1: No, he turned his dookie off the wire.
Speaker 4: He just he just kept he kept going to school with us. He just seems sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just felt low because yeah, just everything everything he had invested in rejected him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's he doing right now, I don't check out if he was it a trash can I'm a winner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do think I sort of fall somewhere in the middle where I do recognize that like there is character building in sort of like overcoming adversity. That said, I don't think that there's any level of like Batman this inside of the bully's efforts, you know what I mean, Like they're not seeking a greater good. They're just being mean, bad people who some of us manage to like overcome, ye know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And yeah, moved. I also think there's a level of like that overcoming things in that way because of that reason breeds more like you take someone who is well accomplished because they just had like a good family or whatever, and you see where they go in the world versus someone who is just mercilessly bullied. The second one is usually a cyclepath not broke for sure, nuts because it's like it comes out of like like I don't know, I just think I get it. I do think there's a level where you should, like and there's some things like you know, hygiene and ship like that where it's like, yeah, you kind of got to bully people to keep them in line on that. But like, for the most part, I don't think it. I don't think that it helps that much. I don't think it helps as much as bullies wanted to. And I fully acknowledge the bullies are hilarious.
Speaker 1: I don't think they want to want it to help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, right, right, right right.
Speaker 2: I think I believe that it can, is all I'm saying. Yeah, I think that's I believe that it can't. Like I think I think Kyane was bullied, you know what I mean that. I know it's doing great right now, amazing, it's a phenomenal life.
Speaker 1: It kind of fell off in the last but the first thirty eight.
Speaker 4: That's truly, that's true. He did, bro he did.
Speaker 3: He reached the heights of heights.
Speaker 4: That he's rich forever, and that's cool.
Speaker 1: I guess that's the problem with Trinidad James. He ain't get bullied enough.
Speaker 4: Wa also mediocre production.
Speaker 7: It was a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely think that there is a level of like a need to overcome in order to be your best, strongest self, right, Like, I think that is just a fact of humanity that like nobody can like live a life without any adversity and expect to be sort of a full person on the other side of it. That said, I've always felt life is kind of hard enough, Like life just be doing ship to you without anybody's involvement. And so the fact that like some kid comes to school and it's like, I'm gona punch him in the head just to make him different than he is. It's like, bro, I got enough going on at home.
Speaker 4: Your grandma's gonna die anyways, she's on her way out. My my mom ain't.
Speaker 3: Making good choices, But dad, don't talk. What do you want for me? That that this punch is gonna like help make happen.
Speaker 1: So so okay.
Speaker 2: So that's a form of bullying that is can be very destructive. Now, now let's talk about the constructive bullying. I mean not constructive, but can lead to constructive like character building. Like let's say, clothing, that's a that's a huge issue for kids in high school. What you wear, how you look, your presentation, all that. A lot of kids can't afford the nicest clothes. I know, this is me actually out of hand now more so than ever because of Instagram and everything. Because you know, you used to be able to wear your Monday outfit, you know, on Friday, and then kind of like rotate around for the.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but I think likes to know specifically, I'll be honest.
Speaker 3: We talked about this on one of our more recent episodes about I was swapping clothes just like that and it was working great until it wasn't. And then I got a my fair share of bullet for Yeah, I got caught. I got caught up, but I was in fashion court.
Speaker 4: There's too much platinum food, man, yo, that I mean, that's how I got I got called once because my dad was trying to save money.
Speaker 2: That's where it always starts. They trying to save money. And I had some footballs in middle school, but like they was on sale, but they was two sizeses bigger than my foot.
Speaker 4: Damn damn. Big shoes is the one you can't Big sh bro.
Speaker 1: You know. You know he right, You're gonna grow into him. I'm gonna score.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: They called him ships out but I didn't even walk for the like twenty minutes I said that.
Speaker 3: I said, You're like, no, Kevin, You're gonna be a size fourteen. Watch you won't you won't see you're gonna be a fourteen, I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, big shoes is that's because there's nothing you could do with that. You look like an idiot, even if they were real big. It's terrible.
Speaker 3: It's bad, bad, But but I think.
Speaker 1: I think on the closing side of things, like in a way it creates style a little bit.
Speaker 4: It can Yeah, did you freak those big shoes in a way that oh no, I.
Speaker 2: Never war again in my life. I thought, you know, it's crazy that I remember. I got away with it. I got away with it for most of the day. I remember that like I got away with it. It was like probably to like the last like hour of school. It was like, oh, that's that's how you lose, because you get comfortable.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, here's what I'll say though, And and as somebody that got roasted for for uh, I once got told I had on air Steve Kurz and that that broke my heart in a way that I'll I still hold tight this day.
Speaker 4: Before he was such a prolific coach too, that's like, yeah, no, this was like when it was a good reference.
Speaker 3: It was it was a deep cut at the time. It was in Chicago's I was it did all. It was nasty work. It was in front of my lady at the time, it was all. It was devastating. But I'll say that I'm so ashamed to tell you what they were that it feels like I'm derailing the point that I'll tell you at the end. I'll save it like an easter egg. What the fuck I had on I'll let you know.
Speaker 4: But the point is.
Speaker 3: Is that we think we're getting away with it, but what's actually happening is the school has circulated the conversation about your ship for a day and then they just decide to say something at the end of it. You know what I mean, Like every time you're like, yo, nobody's nobody's clocking that I wore this shirt on Wednesday. Niggas clocked it. They're just waiting until the right moment to make me feel small.
Speaker 4: I think that's partially true. I think partially this is you coming from a very personal specific experience. Yeah you said make me feel small?
Speaker 3: Yeah maybe, yeah, I only know how to speak from the personal personal.
Speaker 4: Guy. Wait, but we haven't gotten the witches, the constructive bully.
Speaker 1: I just said the clothes, so the fashion yeah, like that.
Speaker 2: That that sort of thing where you're just like, oh, because of you know, I'm getting and because it creates it creates that that that spine where you're like, yo, I like this shirt.
Speaker 4: But that's not what happened. You said you you said, you did, you just threw them.
Speaker 1: No, those shoes are too big.
Speaker 2: But if it's something that you know, you like, where you're just like, no, I like this shirt, you know, and people are like, yo, this goof yeah shirt you like?
Speaker 7: You don't like.
Speaker 1: I don't like binge, Like hold on binge is fly, you know what I mean. It creates, It takes time.
Speaker 2: Don't get it twisted, because I don't think that you know, you're in ninth grade thinking like that, but as you kind of people kind of pick on your clothing like cool to me.
Speaker 3: I do think that that's sort of the hardest part of when we talk about bullying, it is almost off most often in people's formative years, you know what I mean. So like at the time when I'm most sensitive and least capable of sort of like asserting what I like and don't like is when motherfuckers are coming up and telling me about myself in a way that I can't manage. Whereas like now, thirty seven years old, somebody goes, I don't like that shirt. I go, bitch, I bought it.
Speaker 1: This is it.
Speaker 4: This is the shirt now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, what do you want for me? This is this is my shirt. I plan to wear it again. I plan, in fact, I plan to wear it Thursday, and I won't feel embarrassed if you notice, you know what I mean? Like, I truly am just locked into the character at this point. But at fourteen, I couldn't manage that, you know what I mean? Twelve I wasn't. I wasn't bouncing back like, bitch, this is my good girl.
Speaker 1: What are you like?
Speaker 3: I was just like, oh, no, you're wrong. I hate me too, and there's nothing I can do about.
Speaker 1: It, for sure.
Speaker 2: But that's what I'm saying, that you get your shirts. Think enough over time, Like actually, you know what, so button down, open chest ship.
Speaker 1: Still I still can't pull that off.
Speaker 2: Nigga, tell me if I wear an open chest shirt, nigga say anything to me.
Speaker 1: You know what, You're right, But.
Speaker 4: That's but that is a crazy move. It shouldn't be it should chess dudes do it.
Speaker 3: I'll say, this, I'll be saying, like dudes and like like those like photo magazines and fucking like on on the red carpets and ship and they'll have their chest out like damn, that looks cool. I bet I could. And then as soon as I put it on, I go, bro, you can't leave the house.
Speaker 4: You can't do what you're gonna do. Okay, we need to take a break.
Speaker 3: We're we're gonna be back to discuss a little bit more about bullying. But when we come back more Kevin I old Moore.
Speaker 4: My mama told me.
Speaker 3: We're calling upon you because we have we have new merch. We have very exciting merch that we are now selling and it's it's fucking great.
Speaker 4: We love it so much. Just sleek, it's sexy. Come on, you want to tell them what we have? Yeah, we have three different types of hats, which is really fun. We have a two tone hat, an alien dad hat, the traditional logo in black and khaki. Then we have the enamel pin with an alien who has a coofie on it. Since my mama told me, and then we have t shirts that say proud little Mama, which is who you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can buy the merch Now go to my mama told me dot merch table dot com. It's a brand new name, but it's the same old merch And we would love for you to get some if you haven't got it already, and we want you to have all the sweet stuff, so get it.
Speaker 5: Pot my butt, pop potman, butt, pot my butt, pot potman butt.
Speaker 1: Do you know what pop my butt meant to Harriet Tubman? Do you know what that meant?
Speaker 3: It meant a whip.
Speaker 4: We're back discussing bully.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she always teaching us something.
Speaker 4: I always have something on it.
Speaker 3: So I did do a little bit of research as it relates to the conversation of bullying specifically, I wanted to look up if there were any sort of like articles, legitimate articles sort of making the argument that bullying in fact was better for us, that it was a good thing. And admittedly a lot of the articles were from like places called like fratbros dot net.
Speaker 4: It's like Bullying's awesome.
Speaker 3: I was like, all right, fellas, I don't know if you're the peer reviewed literature that I was looking for. But that said, I did come across an article that's sort of talked about specifically the term bullying being too broad. They said that it sort of has been treated nowadays as something that encompasses all mistreatment by other individuals, and that creates a dangerous sort of like precedent because it almost negates the real bullying that's happening for some individuals.
Speaker 4: If that makes sense. Oh yeah, I mean that's like it's like a culture right now.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that like everything he.
Speaker 4: Knows some type of thing when there are people who are actually suffering from it.
Speaker 1: Saying you have mental health when you're just.
Speaker 4: Tired, yeah, or annoying an irritating person, Yeah, like just drinks of water.
Speaker 3: I think is maybe what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: Maybe you're just a bitch.
Speaker 2: Did he give did he give examples of what types of like bullying?
Speaker 3: They said in the article that a person of the same size, the same strength, and same status, not liking something you're wearing or not liking you personally should not necessarily be qualified as bullying, right, Like sometimes.
Speaker 4: No, that's crazy because then that that doesn't account for little bullies.
Speaker 3: Well, hear me out. I think what they're arguing is that like and and individual. I think what they were sort of suggesting is that an individual interaction where I go, fuck your shirt is not bully, presuming that I'm not like an older kid sort of like coming down to your like elementary school and being like, fuck your shirt. There's no power dynamic here. It's just one dude not liking another dude's shirt. Whereas if every single day I go look at this bummy ass nigga in his shirt and it's a different shirt every time, that would qualify as bully. I don't like this, Okay, tell me more.
Speaker 4: I think that because a lot of the best bullies are people who got something fucked up. A lot of the best bullies have a weird hand. Mm hm, you know what I'm saying. Like, so it's like the whole point is the power dynamic. So to say like you're gonna get bully, you can still get bullied by somebody who's like equals you.
Speaker 3: That's not like you know what I'm saying, but it's not. I I yes to that part of it. But I think the persistence is maybe the part that you're not addressing the the individual versus like the persisting I think it's like repeated.
Speaker 4: As a repeated action, then it becomes But what if they're all bummy shirts.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, you can have somebody that it's equal to you say one thing about you one time, and it stick with you for the rest of your life. And it's happened to everyone and it let it be the opposite gender.
Speaker 4: I see their faces, I can see it. I remember the whole setup. I remember where I was walking. They were they had their arms locked, like you know how girls would walk with their arms locked sometimes, and the one girl was like, what's your favorite color? And I was new at the school and I was like, these girls want to talk to me because it was like eighth grade. They're like, what's your favorite color? And I was like, I think I even licked my lips. It is bad, I was. I was like, I was like, hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah what I said.
Speaker 4: And then the one, the littler girl, bro, now I'm thinking about it. It's just giving me chills. The little girl looked me right in my face and she was like, I thought you was gonna say purple because.
Speaker 1: That's a com.
Speaker 4: And it went raisezy. Anyway, look Kevin, look at Kevin right now.
Speaker 1: Ray I'm with her on her side.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'll never forget it. And that's what that was.
Speaker 3: Girls purple is is God Damn.
Speaker 4: I was wearing a new academic shirt. I was wearing a brand new academics button down I got.
Speaker 3: But here's what they would say, I think, based on the article I was reading, is that it's also numbers as it relates to that situation, right that, like that one little girl saying that to you in private is a very different thing. I'm saying that if it were, if that, if that individual said something to you in private, and don't get so angry. You're obviously on edge about what happened to you, and I'm sorry, I'm genuinely sorry that that happened. If if that's what you need to hear to calm down enough so that you can take this in, then I am sorry that little girl did the wrong thing to you. You are not purple, Your skin is beautiful, and you're a strong, proud man.
Speaker 4: And so I say that that.
Speaker 3: It is also the group think that sort of makes that bullying, right that she showed up with three other friends and the people, okay, one.
Speaker 4: Other friend overblowing the story.
Speaker 3: Look, man, all I heard was you scream for mercy, niggas.
Speaker 1: She could have texted that to me and would have been hurt. Yeah, nobody else.
Speaker 4: It is rough day. It's rough day.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think the numbers plays a major part in it. I think the persistence plays a major part in it. And I think status, as they argue, plays a major part in how we define what bullying actually is versus what I think they're arguing, Kevin, is something similar to what you're suggesting, which is a part of just character building that sometimes people are going to call you ugly, they're gonna call your clothes trash, They're going to say things that don't make you feel good. But that is just part of growing up. The way that it sounds like all three of our mothers bullied us, and I don't know that I get to I don't know I get to call anybody about this, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Also who, I don't care who, That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's just like, wait, so okay, So I have a question, like, all right, you know you have you have you have two beautiful little children, Yeah, and you know they come home from school. Hey, I'm being bullied. How are you? How are you handling this? On let's say a physical level, your son is being bullied A twelve years old or whatever.
Speaker 8: We have the clothing level that we've discussed the clothes stuff, and then maybe just like a pure nasty you know whatever, your chubby, your your skin is too, what this side of the way your hair?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just don't lay. I don't. Your last name is Kervan, and it's weird.
Speaker 4: It ain't not a lot left, It ain't normal anywhere.
Speaker 2: How you handle it just on different, you know what I mean. I guess on the other on the other side of the game.
Speaker 3: Now I I And that's I think a question that I don't have a great answer to. And to that point, an article I found talked about how basically it said that forty percent of parents in America struggle with anxiety and depression as it relates to the idea of their children getting bullied. Not even like literally getting bullied, but just the idea of their children getting bullied or the possibility of them getting bullied gives them anxiety and depression, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And that sixty nigga slipt good think about ahead of that.
Speaker 2: Look, I remember I got in a fight with the kid and a kid that I thought was my friend, and so I got my ass beat because I wasn't even I didn't even realize we were fighting until it's foot was on my face.
Speaker 4: Fuck.
Speaker 2: Then like my dad was like, yo, what's going on that it's almost face.
Speaker 1: He's like, you have to go back on fight?
Speaker 2: And then I went back and again, and then like he had long mails, so like I didn't lose the fight, but he scratched my face.
Speaker 1: And now I'm like my.
Speaker 2: Dad's like, god, damn, I'm just like, you've never taken me to a boxing class.
Speaker 1: You ain't give me no tools.
Speaker 7: It's just like.
Speaker 3: He's like, wait, wait, wait, you're not strong. Wait hold on, you're not buff Okay, all right, what am I?
Speaker 4: I don't know what I'm raising.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: I told you.
Speaker 4: I told you to be buffing strong. I don't know what this is that you're not.
Speaker 3: In that same article, I came across some of the things that they qualify as sort of like bullying as it relates to specifically today. They said that offensive name calling, spreading of false rumors about them, receiving explicit images they didn't ask for, constantly being asked where they are, what they're doing, or who they're with by someone other than a parent, physical threats. I think, yeah, I mean, I think some of it might be some internet game shit that we don't quite understand. That like if somebody is persistently being like where are you and then like fucking with you about where you are? Maybe that that somehow is like some new age bullying. I don't fully get it, but I ain't never had no like internet bully, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: The false rumors is a that's a classic. Yeah, that's a class.
Speaker 3: Oh that's yeah, that's a tale as old as time for sure.
Speaker 4: Wait, I'm thinking now to the question of what would you do if your son's What would you do on the other end of it? What if your son is the bully?
Speaker 3: That would devastate me a lot more than if he.
Speaker 4: If he's hilarious, Like what if they said, like they tell you you have to go on for a parent teacher conference, they explain whatever it was, and the shit you said your son said was like like so funny? All right, well what is the work on your character? For sure?
Speaker 3: But all right, hey, you know what I mean, because I also do remember I feel like I don't feel like I ever had a bully growing up. I don't know if y'all had that where like it was just like one person who was always at my neck and I was scared of them or felt intimidated intimidated by their presence. But I do remember like there was a culture of people just roasting the shit out of whoever was having a bad day, and you could get it. Anybody could get it. And I remember being a part of both giving it and getting it in that sense, right, And sometimes I was a part of giving it to somebody who couldn't handle it and we took it too far, But some of it was funny as fuck, and so like if I got reported inside of that, I feel like I had the context to be able to give to my parents, like no, I'm not a bully. I just was having a good day and they were not, you know what I mean, Like I was thriving and they weren't thriving. And the fact that they can't handle that is that's that's a character flaw and don't I don't know what to do about it. But I was killing it that day.
Speaker 4: You should have heard what I said, because.
Speaker 3: The circle form that I had my hand out, like this motherfucker right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also have a theory that it doesn't ever.
Speaker 1: Really go away.
Speaker 4: No. I agree with that, Like with like.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, we've all had well, I don't know, but we've had jobs right where we like corporate, I guess, workplace kind of situations, and I feel like micro aggressions is like that's the that's the adult version of you know what I mean, We're okay, this is this is a different way. I'm but you know, as an adult, at least for me, I was like, I'm not. I wasn't used to the microaggression. Believe I was used to.
Speaker 1: Your shoes is too big for your feet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's.
Speaker 1: Just like a new weird thing. It's just like this is different. And I will say that it is it's kind of the same at.
Speaker 2: Least for my you know whatever degenerate brain where I'm just like, okay, I can learn how to turn this negative into a positive. You know, it's for me, it's kind of like the same thing where it's like, oh, I needed to learn how to make this thing constructed. For me, that was kind of like you know, tearing apart what you think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I always think about how much of the things that I said to people were not meant to be permanent for them and somehow might have been like I. And they talk about it a little bit in the first article that I read that like intent intentionality is a major part of what bullying is as well that like some of it is just roasting and being silly. I remember there was this one girl who who had like a lazy eye, and like it just it. I didn't know, truly, I didn't even know. Okay, okay, no, I swear to god, I didn't even know that she had the lazy eye before I said something. I just was like, well, what the fuck happened to her eye?
Speaker 4: On some like just.
Speaker 3: Being a kid saying the thing. And then she was like, no, I have a condition. And it was one of those where it's like that wasn't my plan. I like you, I plan to treat you with a level of decency. I just was talking shit because I probably felt weak or low or felt like that would have made me feel strong, just.
Speaker 1: Not thinking you just show up somewhere with some energy. You're just like yo.
Speaker 3: I was fifteen and noticed a weird eye and none of us had weird eyes. I was like, what's up? And then and then it got explained to me. And I felt a massive amount of guilt and I still do. And I wonder how much of that, like it's something she carries forward of being like, well that, you know what I mean, he said that shit unnecessarily when I was having a probably a fine day before that.
Speaker 1: She only fans model now because of that shit.
Speaker 3: I pray that what I did created a source of income for her. If that's true, then I'm a hero. If if if she hasn't figured out a way to capitalize on it, I'm a villain. And that stinks. You don't want to be that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm trying to think about I don't think I ever got any I guess I've maybe I've been a part of bullying that probably affected people in the long run. I mean, I did see on Instagram this kid we used to bully. That's funny, we talk about it. My mom used to make fun of this kid all day. He was the littlest He was the littlest kid on our football team. And it's crazy because my mom is little. She's like she's like four eleven five feet and she would always like and she doesn't know the game of football. She would just laugh at how he looks in his past, what he looks like when he would run, like all the thing, you know what I mean, all that type of stuff. He's a teacher now, which is you know smid.
Speaker 1: Your mom picking on kids. It's hilarious.
Speaker 4: There's truly no safety on it. It's truly anyone old people, slow people, fast people. Yeah. Yeah, I think it's because she worked with a lot of slow people, so she just feels like comfortable.
Speaker 3: I just wonder how, even even in thinking about your mom, how much of it if she thought that, like that little fella would be permanently affected by something she said, if that would would be something she wanted.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean? I mean, it's just like the nature. I don't know, like incerely on that's just how people are, like you like you see people walk fucked up down the street, like if like I've just seen it with my cousins where somebody with a bad eye or some shit is walking down the street and you just can hear it from there and he passes and every everybody with us says something and he keeps you. It's just like that's just like how it is over there. So I don't think there's even a thought of that, Like they don't think of it as bullying. They think of it as like it feels almost like it's less of a reflection of the person and just just the situation, you know what I mean. It's funny that that hand looks weird or that that eye is goofy. It's not like, oh, this is not a competent person who can do whatever. They just got a funny eye.
Speaker 3: And here's what I'll say is when they talk about that conflation right between what we call bullying versus the things that actually are bullying, I do think that that needs to be acknowledged that Like, again, it's intentionality that like some people are going to make a point of saying something about the way that you look, the way that you talk, dress, all of the things. But are they attempting to take you out of your yourself or are they just like saying what the world is thinking about you? And you got to learn to have a little bit of a thicker skin about it, because that is the human experience, whether we like.
Speaker 4: It or not.
Speaker 3: There's there's a fair amount of evidence that no matter how sort of like sophisticated we become, we're still gonna be pieces and the ship to each other. So like you do have to learn to manage it.
Speaker 4: I think that's that is that's that is really important because it's like the idea of no bullying goes too far the other way, right, Like you can't create this perfect scenario where none of these issues are gonna be. It just doesn't. It isn't realistic. So I think there is an amount. I think mostly I'm gonna get sports azing the more about it.
Speaker 3: Like that just because you had such a deep familiarity to sports azing.
Speaker 4: Ah, I think that sports hazing I think that it others people more than traditional bullying.
Speaker 5: Hmmm.
Speaker 4: I think it's like you you're already other othering people by putting them in this position, and then you make that circle smaller, you know what I mean. And it's kind of like a system that runs on a whipping boy or whatever, Whereas I think traditional bullying is just like community, you know what I'm saying, Like everybody can everybody kind of feels some of it. Where it's like like I think about like at least in the high school I went to, we were allowed to do we operated with impunity, like there was no stop it or don't do that. And it was like a lot of times the strong on the weak, or the old on the young or whatever, you know what I mean, right, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it makes you I think.
Speaker 2: I think the other positive about it is it at least as a kid, it like it makes you very observant too, where you're just like, oh, I'm getting picked on because I'm different, Well what is different?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And then you're kind of looking around and you're like noticing and like you like, I mean I would even the like you say, the culture of you know, ranking and everything like that. It's like you you now you're starting to look at other people and you're like, all right, they gonna come for me for something, all right now Now now I'm locked and loaded. I see, all right, Lanston got his hair cut, right, So you so you've got all of that. You know, you got you know what I'm saying, You got it, You got.
Speaker 1: It, locked and loaded. But it also is like it made me also.
Speaker 2: Look, I remember the time in high school where I was just like kind of noticing the kids that weren't getting bullied at all, and you know why they weren't getting bullied, and it was just like they were just so much inside of their own world. Even if you bullied them, it looked kind of like weird, you know what I mean. Like it was like I went to a diverse high school, so it was Indian kids, there's Asian kids, and you know, there's always the Asian, Indian and whatever that kind of assimilates the black culture. But then there were ones that didn't. They was just like in the band, It's like I played my trumpet, that's my thing, and I'm be like, yo, that's cool, and I would hang out with them some time to be like, Yo, this is like a safe haven.
Speaker 1: You can't really nobody really coming over here.
Speaker 2: That's it with nobody, because you just kind of look like an asshole with the kid with the tube. But he already played the tube, bro leave him alone.
Speaker 3: I like, I like that we need to take a break. But I really like that sentiment of sort of the the safe spaces, the safe haven because that sort of connects to a little bit of what the the articles that I read kind of say it's a solution to some of this.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna take one more break.
Speaker 3: We're gonna come back with more kevin Io and more. My mama told me, we're calling upon you because we have we have new merch. We have very exciting merch that we are now selling and it's it's fucking great. We love it so much.
Speaker 4: Just sleek, it's sexy. Come on, you want to tell them what we have. Yeah, we have three different types of hats, which is really fun. And we have a two tone hat Alien Dad hat, the traditional logo in black and khaki. Then we have the enameled pin with the alien who has a coofie on it since my mama told me. And then we have t shirts that say proud little Mama, which is who you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can buy the merch now, go to my mama told me dot merch table dot com. It's a brand new name, but it's the same old merch and we would love for you to get some if you haven't got it already, and we want you to have all the sweet stuff, so get it. There was due to a feces thrown all over the walls, the floor, the ceiling in a stunk.
Speaker 4: But what doesn't stink is bullying? Is that not the is that?
Speaker 3: But that's not how you're feeling about it.
Speaker 4: I think you've been.
Speaker 1: At you tried to do Barbara Walters it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you really dropped the ball on that one.
Speaker 4: You know, players fuck up.
Speaker 3: I I will say that one of the these sort of bigger ass that the article makes at the end as it relates to bullying, is it says that at the end of the day, what we should be focused on is less of these individual experiences if somebody said this about me or made me feel small in this way, and it's more should instead be more focused on solutions to prevent those kinds of interactions in the first place. Right that, like, it's less about the what the kids are feeling and more about how can we reduce those negative interactions in totality. And I don't know that that is a solution as much as like a little bit of like a a theory. It's it's idealistic in a way that I don't fully know how to make sense of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not solving the problem in handed because you're always gonna run in the end the bullies.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: I was hanging out of Winnisburg a couple of days ago and just chilling, you know, sitting down people watching, and this girl walks across and she's crying in tears and she's like, oh.
Speaker 1: Rachel's gonna put me on the bad list, and then she just like kept walking.
Speaker 2: I was like, Yo, whatever her job is, it's insane and it's has such an emotional toll on her. And she walking through the street at five o'clock on a Tuesday crying, you know what I mean, It's like, Yo, that's going to She can't run away from that. I don't know what she do or nothing, but she can't run away from it. So, you know, to me, it's like the healthiest way to deal with stuff this type of thing is to make sure that you got.
Speaker 1: A solid routine.
Speaker 2: You're waking up, that you're doing stuff outside of you know, whatever the bully thing is.
Speaker 1: You find your happiness outside of that.
Speaker 2: So then when you are confronted with it, you can kind of you can kind of minimize it. Almost your brain will almost do it itself because you're just like, yo, I woke up, I ran today, I did my push ups, I read the thing I was supposed to read, I finished my homework da da, And it's just like it was one of it. It's like, yeah, but I had a full you know what I'm saying and kind of putting this sort of you know, small moment into perspective at least for me personally, you know, or.
Speaker 4: You're just like hit them, Yeah, I always hit them.
Speaker 3: I agree. I think it really is the challenge though, right that, Like I think about our job that, like, we have so much interaction as stand ups with other comedians, some of whom give me shit tons of anxiety to be around. And it's not because like of fear or like that they're necessarily bullying me. It's just like every conversation with some people is work, and sometimes it's work that is like combative and like takes something out of my energy, and if I don't figure out a way to manage whatever that is, it could turn into bullying. It could easily turn into something where like I do feel sort of like oppressed by another human being. But like you said, if I can find the center for me that supersedes that, then I'll be okay. But that's that's much easier said than done, especially as an adult man versus like a young child who doesn't have that much control over their life to begin with.
Speaker 1: Right, right right.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, that would have to fall back on parenting because like even like you know, Instagram being something that these kids get constantly, online bullying or whatever.
Speaker 1: You might look at your thay you be like, damn.
Speaker 2: I only got you know, seventy five followers my pictures getting four likes.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a big thing for kids. But it's like if you.
Speaker 2: Are here all day, then you're gonna feel it more. But I'm telling you, if you go whop you go, and then you look on it and you're like, man, whatever, bro, I touch grass, like, it's like I just I just feel like, yeah, putting have a perspective really reduces you know, all of that all of that stress that you might get from that, at least for me, because you can't escape it.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I personally, I've never loved this old generation ship where we go like you got a bulliant online bullying ain't bullian. I mean you gotta shad to my face if you're gonna hurt my feeling, It's like, no, that's bullying. I think what we were actually was pretty lightweight compared to what kids today are experiencing. The idea that adults could find out my greatest weaknesses, Like strangers I've never met before in my life could like tap on a picture and be like this kid is ugly and I'm gonna like it. That's a nightmare.
Speaker 2: I agree his wives from the other but he got so much space between you eyes.
Speaker 1: You do kind of look like a hammerhead shark, Like, damn.
Speaker 3: Fuck, come on man, you work at Costco. Why are you talking to me like this?
Speaker 7: And now you can put the gifts in there so so funny, God, damn Disney characters, you're like, it's.
Speaker 4: Pretty many mouths have to do with.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't think that kids today are somehow getting it easier or have like a more manageable situation. I think it's the exact opposite. And I do think unfortunately the only solution is to go outside and touch grass. But that you know that it's it's culture, and culture doesn't encourage us to touch grass as as kids, adults, any anybody anymore, and so it's hard to demand that of an entire generation who wasn't being raised that way.
Speaker 7: Bro.
Speaker 2: I seen I've seen something during the eclipse. Somebody was like, I seen a video, do it is like not. Niggas went outside and Dick wrote the sun today. Sam said, niggas can't even join the clips.
Speaker 3: Without It's not gonna happen again for another four hundred years.
Speaker 1: He said, the sun be there eight days they you're gonna Dick ride the sun. I'm like, yo, we can't even.
Speaker 4: Where.
Speaker 3: We live in a toxic, toxic world, man. So yeah, it's hard to know what what uh what is good for your character or bad for your character. But I do think if we could put a little bow on this, I do think objectively bullying is is probably a bad thing that some of us manage to to make beautiful on the back end that the bravest of us, somehow can can build bouquets from that shit flower you you offered me.
Speaker 2: That's Langsty's bowl. My bowl is from an article the Verge dot com says children who bully others have lower levels of inflammation later on in life.
Speaker 4: Do what you want.
Speaker 3: I was like, look, hey, if you flame somebody else, you ain't got no inflammation later.
Speaker 9: At the end of the day, you know, I mean wild choose wisely, choose wisely, get flamed or flamed.
Speaker 2: Imagine, imagine the nigga like going to the doctor, like you got a high inflammation.
Speaker 1: He just starts like A, I don't know what to do about this. Go outside, start roasting people.
Speaker 4: Boy a little boy.
Speaker 1: Kid like, no, I gotta do this for my.
Speaker 4: Doctor said six months I prescriptions.
Speaker 10: I'm trying to live long enough to raise my That's great.
Speaker 3: All right, I think we did it. So you want to tell the people where they can find you on? What cool ship you have going on?
Speaker 2: Kevin Ice so propo andol like the Alcohol group on Instagram and I have a show. September twenty ninth, Junion Hall, Brooklyn, seven point thirty.
Speaker 1: Come through. I'm gonna be talking for an hour. Be smooth.
Speaker 2: It's gonna feel like forty five minutes, but it's gonna be an hour.
Speaker 1: It'd be fun. Man, Pull up.
Speaker 4: Bory, what you got? Who got? Joke City seven on Instagram. Watch Exploding Kittens on Netflix. July twelve, oh Patreon dot com backslash David Bory My Special Birth of a Nation with the g August first sign up for the Patreon You can only buy it there ten to fifteen dollars. Sliding scale. That's larious?
Speaker 3: Is it looks dope. I'm excited. I'm excited to see it. House, I'll spin the dough just to be able to experience.
Speaker 1: You got it.
Speaker 4: Maybe you just paid for it. Yeah, I'm gonna earn it. And as always, you can follow me.
Speaker 3: At Langston Kerman on all social media platforms and go watch my special. It'll be out on Netflix August twentieth. It's called Bad Poetry. It's gonna be real cool. And you just gotta pay your Netflix subscription or continue to steal your mamas. That ain't my business, but do that. I would love for you to see it. And as always, if you want to send us your own drops, your own conspiracy theories, if you want to tell us how bullying helped to bring your anal fishers down, send it all to my Mama pod at gmail dot com. We would love to hear from you by the merch like subscribe, rate review, call your mamas.
Speaker 4: I don't know that's it. Bye, bitch, You're ugly, You're disgusting.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna kill you. Give me two hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: My Mama Told Me is a production of Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcast, created and hosted by Langston Krektin co hosted by David Borie.
Speaker 4: Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Han Soni and Olivia Aguilon.
Speaker 3: Co produced by Bee Wayne, edited and engineered by Justin Kohfon, music by Nick Chambers.
Speaker 4: Artwork by Dogon Kreega.
Speaker 3: You can now watch episodes of My Mama Told Me on YouTube. Follow at My Mama Told Me and subscribe to our channel