Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass Podcast. It is Wednesday, August thirtieth, and today we heard from head coach John Harbaugh, wide receiver Tylon Wallace, and defensive back Arthur Mallett. Coach Harbaugh talk today about the process of trimming the roster to fifty three players.
Speaker 2: I appreciate everybody being here.
Speaker 3: Thank you for being here. So that culminates what we're going to do preseason now and everything we do starting Monday is going to be game related. So obviously we're working on some game plan stuff out here the last three days as well. I was happy with what we did the last three days. We've got the roster pretty well organized. There are some ongoing gymnastics so to speak, that we're we'll be involved with and until we finalize it, and then you know, throughout the course of the season, things are ever ever changing, evolving, revolving. That's how the NFL works. What question do you have, John, You've talked.
Speaker 4: So much about the difficulty of those conversations with cuts, But what's that's like on the flip side and tell a guy like even and the league that they have made this team.
Speaker 3: It's truly Yeah, thank you for that, it's it's awesome. You have an opportunity to tell guys they made the team, like those two young guys that necessarily maybe necessarily I would say they were hoping to but didn't necessarily expect to, and then they make it. Also guys who made the practice squad. I mean there's guys making the practice squad who were just thrilled that was their goal and that's their foot in the door. So yeah, those are really fun. There's a lot of hugs, there's a few tiers sometimes. Uh, there's a lot of laughs usually, So it's all, it's all, it's all, you know, it's it's not a bad day. It's not a bad day. It's a good day because you know, you're just involved in people's lives that way. I I kind of cherished the day as a coach, and you're right, that probably makes it. That tops it off.
Speaker 1: John, one of these guys jobs jobs and.
Speaker 5: Lost it behind them the four quarterbacks and opposites and rule in the rules the.
Speaker 3: Year to get some guys that put up. Yeah, there's a lot, there's a lot of that question. There's a lot involved in that, and I think we'll see that kind of unfold here today tomorrow kind of what our plans are going to be. So I'll just kind of.
Speaker 6: Leave it to that.
Speaker 3: But we have thought all that through.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: Obviously Josh had a heck of a heck of a camp, played really well all through, all through practices, was outstanding, and then you know, the last two games he was couldn't have been any better. So we love Josh and we'll just let it play out here next twenty four hours or so.
Speaker 8: John, in your opinion, was separated the undrafted guys keeping in the league from rest of the competition when I picked.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a lot of things involved. I don't think you can put it to one specific thing. Sometimes it's just opportunity and need, you know, sometimes it's what they can bring to the table immediately that your team just happens to need. And I'd say that's part of it. But they earned it. Every single guy. We just told these guys, every guy out there standing in that circle, coach and player, star player and guy who made the practice scuff for the first time, they.
Speaker 2: All earned it.
Speaker 3: They all earned it. And what goes with that, and the reason they earned it is because they Andrew stand that then now you have to earn it every day. You have to continue to earn it every single day, and I'm confident they'll do a great job of that.
Speaker 5: Appear from fans media about what's this new offense? Like when when does the regular season starts?
Speaker 7: What do you have quch a feeling.
Speaker 6: Of what kind of this identity we'll look?
Speaker 5: I mean, could you've been building it throughout the whole all rame?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I you know, we all have an understanding of what we're trying to do. You know, we have an understanding what the vision is. We've been working hard to communication. We all understand how it's built and how we uh, how we you know, how we want to operate, you know. So we're gonna go out there and do our best, put our best foot forward. Uh and we'll see what happens. I mean, that's why you play the games. You've got to go play the games. You know. All the talk is talk, and then you go play the games and see where you're at. And once we play the first game against the Texans, we'll have a much better idea where we stand.
Speaker 8: The conversations you talked about Mark and Mallett ormatics we're gonna get this way that you see.
Speaker 6: In him, the ability to having him on.
Speaker 7: Your line, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was tough for Arthur because he had the hamstring, you know, and that really that was tough and he was he was pretty upset about that, you know, all when it happened, and really all the way through it. It was not a great hamstring. It was one of those ones that takes a while to heal. But he's back now. Uh, And he had done so much. I think he had done all the right things before that happened, and then we knew him as a player coming in and he was the kind of player that we're looking for. So he's back out there today doing that. You guys saw him at practice. We're excited to have him on the team.
Speaker 5: Oh No, we had some decisions to make probably the last few offensive line spots, but it seems like you most are we're able to get back with the guys on the practice spot. I mean, were you ultimately happy with the way that worked out in.
Speaker 2: The big picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of strategy that goes into it, you know, and you've got to kind of extrapolate a little bit in terms of what might happen or might not happen, and try to keep as many of the of the players that you want, as many players as you can, and we were able to do that in the ad line to your point, for sure, I mean we kept we were able to keep all those guys and that was good for us. So really happy. I'm Sam to your point, probably the key the key guy there being Sam, right, and for him to still be here and be providing us depth at center like he does that kind of a player, that's a huge, huge win for us.
Speaker 10: With the practice squad years ago, if you just to have a few spots and their veterans.
Speaker 3: Were not involved, does the cutdown feel any less dramatic because.
Speaker 6: You know, you can bring sixteen people back now.
Speaker 3: I don't know about the drama part of it, but it's a big advantage to have more practice squad players. It's a great move by the NFL bow. You know, more guys get a chance to work, more guys get a chance to develop, More veteran players get a chance to stay and continue to play, you know, and there their number comes up so fast, you know, because you know, I think we try to make sure guys are healthy before they come back. So now the practice where guys are moving up and playing. Just told those guys you've got to be ready to play on Sunday. Your mindset when you come in on Monday is that you're you're playing on Sunday. That's how you got to think. Because it's gonna happen like that when it does, so I would say, yeah, it's a great thing. I'm really happy about it. We like coach guys. It's good to have more guys to coach.
Speaker 8: One of those back was both he's a nice preseason.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you're pleased to be.
Speaker 11: Able to turn his comes back.
Speaker 10: Where you where do you go?
Speaker 7: He's a surprise that he still be.
Speaker 3: I don't and I wouldn't say surprised. I mean I think there was a chance, but uh, we're just happy to have him back more than anything, just happy pleased. He's a young, good developmental tight end. He knows exactly what he's got to work on. Very smart, I mean, just very self aware guy. So, uh, we're thrilled to leave.
Speaker 12: When the guys.
Speaker 10: Day were out with the summer, where did you.
Speaker 12: See him make strides?
Speaker 10: And what they believe, you know, earned.
Speaker 6: Him at spot on the game.
Speaker 3: The biggest thing with Ben is uh is that he was able to be out there every day, and so yeah, he made the strides, you know, and not just in one area, pretty much across the board. In the past he's kind of been in and out, in and out with different kinds of injuries. He stacked all those days in training camp and then turn on the game film when you watch it and I know you have Jeff. He played well. He blocked people, run and passed. So that's the bottom line. All the work he put in it showed up in the games. He played well.
Speaker 6: Kyer Uh. I mean, is that just kind of the the risk and the game that played some honey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to bat a thousand, you know. And uh And really I think some of that goes with the fact that we had the injuries to the to the corners and we need to bring in some some some you know, veteran corners, and that kind of squeezed our our developmental opportunities out just a little bit. So we were hoping to get Kaya to the practice squad. He was I'm sure he would have come to the practice squad. He was very happy here. But what an opportunity for him to go to Seattle and uh and you know, and be on the fifty three. So I texted him really happy for him, and you know, we'll be pulling for him.
Speaker 1: That was head coach John Harbaugh. And one of the players who made that fifty three man roster was wide receiver at Tylan Wallace. It was a bit nervous for him. He talked about that today, but he was clearly fired up to be on the team and staying in Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Was there any sense of the league when the main official or you just played but say I'm both got No, for sure, always a sense of relief when you know they put that out. You know it's in this business, I like, you know, you never know. So I definitely very blessed and very honored to, you know, be here and be a part of the roster.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 7: How did you feel like you're playing your best of all since you've for sure, I think over the past couple of years, I feel like I've really just grown as a player as a person and really got to understand what the game is like and really just lock in this year and know what I had to do coming in and I just feel I feel better than ever for sure after.
Speaker 5: The Washington and used any reference kind of changing up pretty good, a little busus offseason. Can you go into a little more you tell us as to watch that move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. I mean obviously going being in the Leaf for the past two years, you know, you kind of get you obviously, you get an idea of how things work, how the game is played, how much faster the game is played, how things are ran. So you know, coming in, I knew what I had to do in the off season, so you know, obviously I got a new trainer with UH chadmar with more strength out UH Frisco. He has a new facility now, but just kind of switching up little things like that, getting my old high school receiver coach, getting drills in earlier on in the off season, just doing stuff and just knowing what type of shape I had to be in, and just knowing how much work I had to put in to come and pr UH perform during the season.
Speaker 4: I don't think you ever feel secure in the NFL. I mean, it's proven that no job is safe, But was it extremely difficult or stressful to see kind of off season moves and the names that were coming in here and then kind of knowing when you look at the roster there's not much rooms.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a big competition.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, always. I mean you see uh them bringing guys in. You know, obviously that means there's only so many spots left. So that's always you know, a little bit stressful. But I also look at it as a challenge, you know what I mean, you know, this game is all everything's competitive, so you know, it's never hurt might come out and compete. So I think that's that was a good thing, you know, just for me to be able to realize that and come out and know what I had to do and just come out and just compete with everybody.
Speaker 1: How big it back?
Speaker 5: Do you think special teams was some equation and what do you respect there? Uh?
Speaker 2: I think it was a huge factor for me. You know, I'm very honored to you know, be able to be able to be on such a great special team program, just like the Ravens are. So I think that was a huge help for me, you know, and obviously I'll continue to take pride in that and being on all special teams and just uh, you know, just keep it going, change nothing from what I've been doing. I've been on special teams since I got drafted here, so I planned to continue that throughout my whole career.
Speaker 8: Was how to building up the right to talk about the LASH so self is involved with other trainers. Is that something that you took in the focus about the off season just working on your special team's ability? Is that something that you can necessarily train for individuals?
Speaker 2: I think that's kind of more of like for an individual thing, you know what I mean, especially with certain positions that you play on special teams. But definitely was a factor that I knew going into it. I needed to, you know, probably step step it up there for sure, and you know, just keep keep working at it and keep doing what I was doing. So I knew going into it. I don't know if really special teams is the thing you a lot of guys can really work on in the off season, but you know, I think it was a thing that you would definitely know. I knew that I had to definitely be great at to be a to make the team. For sure.
Speaker 10: There are guys like the Raven I think least the guy who is known for his commitment to special team.
Speaker 11: Can you be proud to be a guy who makes his.
Speaker 2: Way in the NFL for you can, oh for sure. I Mean, like I said, there's three phases of the game. You know, special teams is one of those phases. So I mean it's just it's just as important as offensive defense. So I mean I would be just happy to be on the field at all. So I mean that, you know, that doesn't matter me offense, defense, special teams. I mean, as long as I'm on the field playing football and just competing, you know, I'm happy.
Speaker 8: What's it been like sharing a meeting room with Odell Beckham?
Speaker 2: It's crazy. So, yeah, that's crazy. That's great. So when he first got here, it was kind of like, oh wow, like you know what I mean, I remember watching this dude like growing up and now like I'm his teammate. So it's crazy. Definitely, be you know, teammates with guys like that and being able to you know, pick their brains and just see how they work, and you know, just hearing their past experiences and just learning from them.
Speaker 6: What's something that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I mean, uh, just a few things more just football related stuff, just kind of like how we run certain routes and stuff. Like that. So it's crazy. Like last year we actually had a route named called Odell, So it's crazy to come, you know, actually have him here and be like, all right, so you know, that's that's his route, so we ask him how he runs that and different things he does the versus different looks, so it's it's awesome to have a guy like that our team. Okay, what's that, No, it's kind of that that end zone corner I guess you could call it. We called that a kind of an Odell route, so we kind of good to be able to pick his brain about that route for sure.
Speaker 6: What's that?
Speaker 2: We called it like an end zone corner route, kind of.
Speaker 6: Like all the guys y a Adel do you guys?
Speaker 2: I mean it's great. I mean obviously with guys like Nelly and having Odell, like those older VET guys, you know, it's pretty great.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: I feel like the meeting room is pretty it's fun, but also we're we're focused at the same time, you know what I mean. We're we're getting in doing what we're supposed to do, learning we're supposed to be learning, and we're also having fun. So it's really good to have those older guys, like I was saying earlier, just to be able to pick their brains and then having that knowledge of just reading defenses and just reading corner play and stuff like that. So it's great to have those older guys.
Speaker 10: The conversation you know, you made the team or was there nothing set that?
Speaker 2: So there's yeah, there was actually nothing said. So I figured, if you know, nobody said anything, I I figured I was good.
Speaker 8: Four o'clock I was.
Speaker 2: I was waiting. I sat in my car and I wait till it hit four, and I was like, alright, I'm good. So then and then I drove home, So I was good for sure.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 2: That was part right outside for sure with Lamar.
Speaker 12: And the past years and before you got here week one this offense, so it's just not waited long to get going, like what is about you Lamar or lock in and really get that that head start on the season.
Speaker 6: Oh dah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's it's great, especially and then having all the guys that the guys that we have just on the whole team in general, I mean, we can do great things. So I think having everybody locked in, everybody you know, just really focuses in and knowing what we have the capability to do this season, I think we're gonna be great and be awesome.
Speaker 5: Both up Oklahoma State roots. Did that help you strike up a report with them at all a little bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know we could go back and kind of he was there before I was there, but definitely, you know, brings up some stories or some things that you know that he he was. Uh, a lot of the coaches that were with Monkey when I was there, So when I went there, all the coaches that coach with Monken were still there. So it was great to you know, kind of talk to them a little big and the idea cause before when when he first got hired, I talked to them. They were telling to get Monk's a great guy. You know, get to know him. He's awesome. So it was, Uh, it's nice to have that Oklahoma State love, you know back in the back in this building.
Speaker 12: Do you think that his rival is part.
Speaker 1: Of reason and that has helped you maybe to teach the game, but you know, just kind of keep trying to do your guests right now?
Speaker 2: Is that I think? I think the way I mean, I I would say just the you know, really the the kind of want to throw the balls kind of help. And I also I feel like ties into Oklahoma State as well. You know, it's kind of we were air raid offense. So I feel like that, you know, bringing in a guy like Monk and knowing that that's his intentions definitely wanted me make me want to step it up and be like, I want to be a part of offense like that. I want to be able to, you know, be a part where we're throwing the ball down the field and you know, receivers are just making plays.
Speaker 1: That was wide receiver Tylan Wallace. And another important player who made the fifty three man roster was Arthur Molett. He's a veteran cornerback and nickel back who'ld be a really important piece of this defense. And he's a former Steeler as well, and he talked today about joining the Ravens after spending the last two years in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 8: Martha, did you have a formal conversation on making the fifty three men roster?
Speaker 6: No formal conversation.
Speaker 9: I'm just honestly blessed because I didn't play any preseason games, right, Uh, Like I said, I'm just blessed to be here. You know, obviously I'm a tough guy. I kind of fit this scheme. I like the way that their defense is set up. I think I'm going to thrive in it. So I just can't wait to get out there and play. Honestly, see another color.
Speaker 1: An opportunity at corner, especially early in the year with tomorrow than that bringing out, how how do you feel like you are a stepping playing right away.
Speaker 9: Or it's called upon uh corner. I don't think they're gonna be putting at the outside. Think I'm gonna be base more on a nickel in the inside. That's why I make my money out obviously. But uh, I'm ready to go week one. Whatever they need me to do, I'm gonna cut our list off and get ready to do it. So I'm just great for the opportunity and get ready to play and see another color?
Speaker 12: Was it hand trading injury?
Speaker 8: Frustrating that you're you know getting as a nature of its real obviously good.
Speaker 9: Position r Yeah, man, it was definitely uh frustrating, and uh that's why I was just talking with Harbor about. You know, I'm just grateful for them to honestly believe in my talents and the way I play. I learned to playbook pretty fast. Uh, it's pretty simple. I'm a downhill guy, aggressive uh nickelback, So I think I fit the scheme perfectly. And you know, I'm just ready to obviously just show my skill set and uh help this team uh be successful this season.
Speaker 10: Earth of you're nowhere near the former dealer to be.
Speaker 11: But was there kind of a curiosity how it feel when you first on you and you've played so many big games against them over the years and a in a kind of a hard for arrival, right, do you have any kind of speaking to notions about how it would.
Speaker 9: You like to kind of come in this build there, you know, being from the other side, uh m, you know, formerly being at Pittsburgh, you know, Uh, I just saw how hard these guys working, how hard you know it was to beat you guys.
Speaker 6: Uh obviously you know. And there's just the culture.
Speaker 9: That's what I wanted to see, what the culture was like, just looking at it from the opposite side, right, and it's everything at more. I love it a lot of here. You take care of y you guys take care of your players, you know what I'm saying. And like I said, you guys trust your players and you trust ve so you know, I'm decided just to be here and put on the black and purple.
Speaker 10: Now, people see you said these teams instrute teams are built and arts are similar way what they value, what they work as. You've seen that, have you've seen that?
Speaker 9: So yeah, absolutely hard, smart and tough. You know, you know they don't want any uh players that make mistakes. You know, you have to be smart. You have to be tough as nails. In this day of S division. You know FC nor it is tough football. So you know that you thrive on you know, hartsmart and tough. You know play so you know to S S some some similarities but a little bit different.
Speaker 8: You asked the Stillers to let.
Speaker 5: You go and test the market really really late in the free agency. Techargy, what what winning.
Speaker 1: Did that decision?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 9: I wouldn't say fairly late, but uh, just uh just knowing my skill set, knowing what I can bring to the table, and not just trusting in my work in the off season and the work that I put in. Man, obviously you know I'm a I'm a vet year seven, and uh, you know, I just wanted a little something to a little security man, you know, just to feel comfortable. I know, I I think I I earned that, you know, and Baltimore gave me that, which was surprisingly that it was a rival routine, right, so obviously they believe in me, and that that just shows that just makes me feel good about the work I put in an off seasons.
Speaker 1: You know, obviously when the Ravens called, and what was your first.
Speaker 3: Reaction any.
Speaker 9: Honestly, it wasn't any reaction. I'm a guy that uh bounced around a lot of my career. You know, I'm undrafted guy, just ready for any opportunity at hand. And when they called, I was familiar with this division, you know. And you know I had some pretty good success against the Ravens when I played at Pittsburgh. But you know, now that I'm here, I'm just focused on just being better every day, getting healthy and helping his team win. That's all I'm about right now, just being a team player and just helping all I can. Did you want to say, honestly, bro, whatever you know, God put me. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I'm just grateful for the opportunity. Like I said, I'm just.
Speaker 9: I work hard man, you know, as long as I'm on the roster helping the team and being successful. That that's all I can you know, I can uh ask.
Speaker 6: For opportunity play against the game like that. It's circled on my calendar for sure.
Speaker 10: This team is known for. You probably experienced special teams where Steam's known for. You've played against them a lot. When you go out there and you see having time and devotion to detail and all that they put in special teams, that's pretty much confirmed what you suspected.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 9: We start everything one hundred miles per hour with special teams when we start practice.
Speaker 6: So that just shows how much they that is. You know, that is uh, that is really special here. A lot of teams don't do.
Speaker 2: That, you know.
Speaker 9: They they wait, they they they kind of put it on the back burner. But you know, special teams is part of the three phases of a successful team, you know, so it all has to work hand in hand.
Speaker 6: So smart, smart team.
Speaker 1: That was defensive back Arthur Mallett. You also heard from Tyler Wallace and head coach John Harbaugh. Now the Ravens have a few days off for getting back to work on Monday and putting all eyes ahead to their Week one matchup against the Houston Texans. Check out the Ravens Lounge podcast for more insight and analysis on this team throughout training camp and looking ahead to that Week one matchup, and Ravens Press Pass will be back next week on Monday,