Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we broke our new year's resolution on New Year's Eve. I'm Greg Rosenthal. I'm here in the Chris Wesleyan podcast studio with my friends Jordan Rodrigue, The Athletic and Colleen Wolf. Hello, and yeah, I didn't have a plan for how I was opening that show until I was talking. And it's true. I got a parking ticket this morning. And one of my New Year's resolutions was to make it through an entire year without getting a parking ticket for the first time in Los Angeles possible. And I literally made it till this morning and parked and didn't feed the meter while I was getting a smooth because it was going to take like six minutes, and somehow got that ticket in the six minutes.
Speaker 2: They were waiting for you.
Speaker 3: You didn't feed the meter when this was your New Year's resolution.
Speaker 1: Well it's December by then you've forgotten about it, and it's like, it's just one of those things. I was like, I want to make it through one year. It wasn't the only one year without getting a copious amounts of like tickets and stuff like that, and it's gotten better and then it happened, and I was like, this is too fu.
Speaker 4: I love that you're giving up already.
Speaker 1: No, it was last year, and I'm saying I made it till now. I was so close.
Speaker 2: It was my first thought too though. It was like, as screwing, that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: I was so close.
Speaker 4: Oh that's impressive.
Speaker 5: You would think that being that close, she would remember to feed the meter for six minutes.
Speaker 2: But that's just my one one person right, No.
Speaker 1: Because then you what happens in life is you you try to improve at certain things, and then you do, and then you just get a little too comfortable in yourself and you start going back to the bad habits of like, eh, it's only a couple of minutes, you know, what does it really matter. I'm going to be in and out and way to go.
Speaker 2: It mattered, turns out.
Speaker 1: Welcome to our last see you next Tuesday, Yeah, yeah, twenty twenty four, although we will see you next Tuesday, uh huh. I believe Colleen will be here. She's she's back after being home, and she's wearing a sparkly New Year's Eve type of hoodie. I love it.
Speaker 3: It's a sweatshirt that has seen Quinn's on it, so I have to be casual and fancy at the same time.
Speaker 2: She contains multitudes exactly.
Speaker 1: And how is how is your Christmas? Your twin Maddie.
Speaker 2: Was in town.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have a twin.
Speaker 2: I have a twin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, around the whole thing. Yeah.
Speaker 5: She is now headed to another scientific expedition for the next six months, so I won't see her.
Speaker 2: Very proud of her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Maddie's going.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you.
Speaker 4: Oh more interesting.
Speaker 1: It's very like nineteen ninety sitcom, like the Twin Twin sister and one of them's like this crazy secret marine biologist whatever I don't even know, making secret missions. And Colleen is back from from home. How are the Wolves?
Speaker 4: They are great? Everyone is good.
Speaker 1: How is Tim doing?
Speaker 4: Tim is very good.
Speaker 3: I spent two days with life family and developed a case of rose.
Speaker 4: Show.
Speaker 1: Okay, so okay, So this is it's going to be a big show. It's a very festive show. We are going to be doing New Year's Resolutions. Last week, Jordan and I had reasons for Joy for the AFC, but it felt like Resolutions was more thematic, So we will do NFC. So that if you know, all the AFC fans heard their teams talked about last week. We will do NFC this week with New Year's resolutions, and then we're gonna read some of the Christmas cards that are listeners, you guys, and then we're gonna get out of here and go celebrate or do whatever you want to do. Just just chill. Okay.
Speaker 5: I actually teared up when you posted the pile of Christmas cards. I know, I am, I'm a sappy fool, I know, but it just was so nice, like and you seared up.
Speaker 3: I was like crying in the locker room, and I'm like, I hope nobody walks in right now because we're going to be like, what's going on with you?
Speaker 4: Colleyen? Are you okay? I was just sitting there. The show had ended.
Speaker 3: I sat at my locker and cried reading these cards.
Speaker 4: They were really, really nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna need you to like save that emotion. That was really good, but save it for the segment.
Speaker 4: Well it's not fake, Greg, so no problem.
Speaker 1: Bring it back and really lean in to it. We're trying to get the family crowd here for the holiday season. But yeah, we'll do resolutions first and we're going to go through just quickly. Each team just kind of threw out a quick resolution. We can comment on it. But last last week it worked well. We did not have a clock, but we just decided we're going to move at a quick pace and if if Eric believes we're honking too much, he can play a little sound to just sort.
Speaker 5: Of serve us a lot every week.
Speaker 1: And so we've assigned all the all the teams out and Colleen, you got an extra one though, yeah, I know that was your extra present. I had to decide, well, she be offended if she has one less, or offended if she has one more. I went with one more because you missed last week, so you have catching up.
Speaker 4: Figured I figured that was the reasonings.
Speaker 1: And you're gonna you're gonna start with the Eagles. I give you an easy one.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, all right, so here we go.
Speaker 3: My resolution is I'd like to show more patience and kindness towards Nick Sirianni. Oh, you know, there are plenty of things that I'm just like, why what are we doing here?
Speaker 4: What is happening? The whole thing with zach Ertz, Like I guess like there was a.
Speaker 3: High five that was too much, and then comments were exchanged after the Eagles and Commanders game, so they need to be pulled apart. And then taunting your own fans after winning against one of the worst teams in the NFL by four points, wearing the beat Dallas shirt that wasn't great, being criticized for bringing his kids to the postgame press conference to be used as shields. So you know, there's plenty of things that we could talk about that are kind of annoying here and there. It feels like a little immature and petty some of the things that he does. But I had this realization and I was like, you know, the things you hate in others are the things you hate in yourself. And I'm petty, and I'm immature, and i have no filter, thank god I do in front of a mic, but I'm always ready to throw down as well, especially if someone is going after my friends and family.
Speaker 4: Only I'm allowed to do that, Okay.
Speaker 3: So what I'm saying is like, you know, Nick Sirianni, deep down, maybe I am him, and I'm gonna I'm gonna stop with this mirror right now and look past the mirror and look at his achievements and what he's done with this.
Speaker 4: Team and the success that he's had.
Speaker 3: Listen, he has the highest winning percentage of any head coach in Eagles history, the sixth highest win percentage of any head coach period with at least fifty games coach in the NFL forty seven wins through his first sixty seven games as a head coach. Only three coaches in the Super Bowl era I did some research on this have more wins, and that's George Seaffert, Chuck Knox and Matt Lafleur.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, she got the hard right off the bat.
Speaker 4: All right, that's it. That's it.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: I also resigned Zac Bond.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love what you said at the beginning.
Speaker 5: The comments were exchanged, and I just thought, can we now refer to him as Nick? Comments were exchange.
Speaker 1: You know what, there is something about him I think that just rubs people the wrong way. I don't think that you have that in common with him. But a good point about the accomplishments. He is forty seven and twenty as a head coach and has made the playoffs every time? Is that right? And went to the Super Bowl? Like just saying Kevin O'Connell and Matt Lafleur and all these.
Speaker 4: It wasn't me.
Speaker 1: It's good fight, good point, all right. Next to the commander Jordan.
Speaker 5: I love this, okay, Washington Commanders, I'm speaking from the perspective of somebody else. Well, it's a new year and I'm feeling the love. My team has completely flipped the narrative from its toxic, haunted house vibe of the last era. We even saged the place and fumigated the old owner's office. I nailed the coaching and general manager hires. See Ben, we don't need you after all. My franchise found its quarterback of the future, and I even got Cliff to start wearing socks.
Speaker 2: My home crowd was chanting my name, Josh Hairris.
Speaker 5: On my team's way to its eleventh win, our first double win season since that wonder boy and his WonderBoy staff and RG three grace the halls in twenty twenty twelve. This is owning an NFL team. This is so much fun. I resolve not to ruin it. Adam Peters Cook, dan Quinn Cook, I'll just stand in the back, enjoy it all and throw money at you when you need it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I thought you were gonna say, I'm gonna stand back and not ruin it like I am with the seventy six ers.
Speaker 3: Li said, I have some feelings about Josh.
Speaker 4: Harris right in general, he's a turncoat.
Speaker 1: That it's all great point, Like you think about where they were, and not just as a franchise with Dan Snyder, but even just getting turned down by Ben Johnson and everyone's making fun of Cliff and wait, is the socks like a real thing? What is that?
Speaker 5: It just bothers me every time I see a photo of him on the sideline or like in his house, his really fancy Cardinals meme house. He just doesn't look like he's wearing socks, and I'm like, aren't you cold?
Speaker 2: He does the no shows, aren't you cold?
Speaker 5: It's like a young offensive coach thing. None of them are very good at their socks.
Speaker 1: But he is very good at bringing out the best in Gene Daniel. Like this second half of that game, you think they were so creative, he's beating all of the allegations. All right, I'm gonna go with the cowboys here. And I wasn't nearly as creative as you guys with these resolutions. I kept it simple, and my resolution for them is, let's just trade Michaeh Parsons for at least two first round picks. Now, I'm talking selfishly from my perspective, it'd be great content. I think it would be an exciting part of the off season that it's not just them, kind of like showing a little leg here. Ooh, Michael Parsons might be available and they end up keeping them. No, let's actually trade them. You shouldn't be trading the best pure pass thresher that I've seen come into the league in the last twenty years. But if a team was going to they are maybe that team. They're really good at draft picks. They do have a lot of huge salaries that are already on the books, and like if Khalil matt can get to first and a third with a second coming back, I actually think Michael Parsons could get a couple first and it would be great content. February March, Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 5: Cowboys are all about that content. They are, right, Greg, They got hooks into you early. They want you to talk about them.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's a realistic because he's kind of known as a little bit of a high maintenance guy behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: After that Bengals game, like watching him walk off the field. I think it was that game. Yes, I mean I kind of felt like really awful for him. It's like I kind of want to get him out of.
Speaker 1: There right, and he's not really the type of person you should be trying to trade. But that's I'm fine. If the Cowboys make a big mistake.
Speaker 2: What do you want to see, go get him.
Speaker 1: That's for another show, Colleen. You have the Giants.
Speaker 3: I have the Giants, and personally I think the Giants are doing everything right.
Speaker 4: No notes at this point.
Speaker 1: That is why I gave the Giants the Colleen.
Speaker 4: Or run it back with Ben McAdoo.
Speaker 1: Okay, bring him back, that's.
Speaker 3: An option, but I think, you know, getting a quarterback, they should do that, you know, leave whatever offering to any deities that they need to make things right with the universe.
Speaker 4: That could be another resolution for them.
Speaker 3: But obviously Saquon Barkley and Daniel Jones these were massive mistakes and then having hard knocks there for like all to document and hear the fallout from that that can now just be replayed.
Speaker 4: Over and over.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, but they did get Malik Neighbors, so that's a positive. So things could be trending in the right direction, but considering their week seventeen win moved them down from number one in the draft to number four in the draft. That's right outside Shadora Sanders cam Ward and Travis Hunter territory.
Speaker 4: Not really sure what they're gonna do. Maybe they go.
Speaker 3: After one of the quarterbacks that doesn't stay in Minnesota. Whether it's a JJ McCarthy or Sam Darnold, I don't know, But honestly, I think they're doing just fine.
Speaker 1: And you're kind of in a win win situation as an Egos fan this week, like, maybe have the backups loose to them and make their draft pick even worse. You should have just left it as you're doing great. Don't tell you, just end it right there. All right, Lions and Jordan.
Speaker 2: I've got the Lions.
Speaker 5: In twenty twenty five, we the Detroit Lions resolved to stay fun. Big changes our heead we might lose our mad scientist offensive coordinator Ben Johnson to a head coaching opportunity. We're in the process of sneaking out one page of his ideas notebook at a time, photo copying it, and then reattaching it before he notices that anything is wrong or missing, and brilliant defensive coordinator Ang Glenn is also going to be a top candidate this job cycle too. Those guys would be so hard to replace. Refilling coordinator jobs after a deep postseason run is tough as it is, but we know what we're about. We're fully alive, an electric guitar power chord of a team with few energy, but like in an enthusiastic way. On offense, we play with our food. We're smarter and stronger than you. On defense, we hit hard and we take no pity for our injuries. We're the goddamn Detroit Lions. We're gonna stay fun no matter what.
Speaker 1: I love that a lot.
Speaker 2: I would you please stay.
Speaker 1: It could happen. Although hold that thought. I can't remember a team and you tell me if you can think of one that had more support nationally from fans that were not their own fans than this Lions team that we've sort of seen grow up and like everyone is rooting for it, Like I'm genuinely worried about their situation, and I'm like not a Lions fan. They America, I really think they are right now, Yeah, I'm going to go with the Bears, So sorry, Jordan. Our resolution was to go, yeah, get Ben Johnson. I think I think it makes sense. No, I just think I had my doubts. Just make it happen. I had my doubts that he even wants to be a head coach, which I would totally respect if he didn't want to, or if you just wanted to wait for a long time. But Tom Pallisero was doing the coaching rumor slash reporting buzz type of story on Good Morning Football, and the way he put it, Ben Johnson sounds interested in the Chicago Bears job, specifically because of Caleb Williams, which makes a lot of sense, and because of the resources and the picks and all sorts of things going on there, and so that really really made me think that this could happen as long as the Bears want it to happen. It sounds to me like this is the team he's been waiting for a team and this is going to be that team. And what a crazy division that would be to compete in. But make it happen. If the best offensive mine one of them certainly in the game, wants to coach your team, just make it happen.
Speaker 5: The Bears are so far behind these other coaches in terms of securing like that dude for the future. Right, They're already so multiple years behind on this process. So bringing someone in, taking a huge swing at someone high caliber, whether it is signing Ben Johnson or trying to trade for somebody like that, is absolutely what they need to be thinking about.
Speaker 2: Is the biggest swing possible here.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine Ben Johnson coming in and turning around the Bears because they have the talent there, the division would just be such a powerhouse.
Speaker 1: I love that storyline wise, that there's just this division where there's all these like great offensive coaches. But I kind of worry about it for Ben Johnson, fair just because the Bears seem to ruin everything and I don't want them to ruin Ben Johnson. All right, Packers, your up.
Speaker 3: Come learn how to beat the best NFC teams in general in January. But in the postseason overall, Packers are zero and five this year against the Lions, Vikings, and Eagles, eleven and zero against everybody else, and three of those five losses they've been by three or fewer points, so they've come really close in these games, but they're just like they're on the precipice right now and they just need to get over the hump.
Speaker 4: They're going to have to go through these teams too.
Speaker 3: As a wild card, and currently as the seventh seed, they would go on the road and face the Eagles, so they need to kind of figure out what to do here. They faced the Eagles in the first game of the season for them and saw what happened with Jordan Love. So now that they have Jordan Love and he's healthy and he's dealing.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Hazel's probably hate that matchup for the Eagles and the Packers.
Speaker 4: I do too. I don't love it.
Speaker 1: I just worry.
Speaker 4: I would love for them to not be the seventh seed.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break. We're going to come back and we'll do more of our New Year's resolutions for the NFC South and the NFC List back on NFL Daily. It's all been leading to this, every show is it's been leading to December thirty first and Colleen reading those cards. It's gonna be the capstone. I can't wait of our NFL Daily season. All right, Jordan, you have the Saints.
Speaker 2: It's a short one.
Speaker 5: Both a personal resolution and a PSA for me to me and for me to you, wait at least four games before getting excited about the Saints in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Ohchr.
Speaker 5: Remember September when the Saints averaged forty four and a half points over their first two games. Yeah, then sixteen points per game over the next fourteen games.
Speaker 4: Klint Kubiak, everybody, the co league average.
Speaker 5: In twenty twenty four is just over twenty two points per game. Let's just sit back on the Saints this time.
Speaker 1: That's fair. They're going to become that team now. Every year when someone looks really crazy good surprisingly after being two and o, everyone's gonna be like, remember remember the Saints with Derek carr.
Speaker 2: Is Like, oh yeah, that was that.
Speaker 1: You don't want to be one of those teams. You know who's one of those teams for me is the five? And oh Sam Bradford Minnesota Vikings, who or the Around the NFL podcast fell in love with and made the team of Around the NFL And then they didn't win another game, and then.
Speaker 5: Everyone was so gun shy about actually crowning a team of the ATMs after that.
Speaker 1: It's true, the Saints were kind of that team. I feel bad because, yeah, I had our friends from the Saints Black Party podcasts on after they were two and oh after that it just fell apart. Okay, I one thing I do want to be better at is just staying organized and paying attention to details, going uh, it's not perfect because I actually have the Vikings next. Oh, I thought we were done with the NFC North for some reason, that the teams are out of order here, and so I.
Speaker 3: Forgot the Vikings one year at the draft when we were doing like shout outs, we had like a role call for each division, and I just completely forgot about the Vikings too, the whole nine.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 5: Like they were talking about it on the broadcast this weekend and Kevin O'Connell. I'm knowing Kevin a little bit like he for sure has that chip on his shoulder, like what a like, why are what about us?
Speaker 1: They are? This is this is the one about us week for the Vikings, although it's going to quickly turn into everyone's picking the Vikings to beat the Lions this week, so they're gonna have to handle that. And so now that they're becoming one of the favorites, maybe the favorites since they they're the number one seed. If they win this game, I'm just gonna say, just enjoy this journey. Here, Vikings fans and the team, this is a special team. A Refasan wrote a good piece about it this week on his substack, and he's a Vikings guy and kind of telling all the fans to embrace, enjoy it, don't be worried about the other shoe coming to drop. The problem is, I want everyone to appreciate the journey and realize, like it's okay if it doesn't end in New Orleans. You know, if there are three really great teams in the NFC, I think if you listen to one of the other ones, you can be pretty disappointed. But if like the Eagles go to the super Bowl, where the Lions go to thee like it happens in sports, and this has been a magical journey that hopefully you have been appreciating, like the whole time watching them just play this well, play so smart, with so many great players, and they're not going anywhere, Like, just appreciate it, even if it doesn't end in New Orleans.
Speaker 4: Sam Darnold, you know, he's been my guy all season long.
Speaker 1: You. You didn't.
Speaker 5: I feel like, so, if I'm recalling correctly, you touched down back from Summer of Connie, uh huh and the very next show I remember, can we talked about it? The very next show you did? You were like the Vikings guys. Yeah, and you were all in and you were right and you stayed right.
Speaker 2: That's a thing I was like.
Speaker 3: But going into the season, I couldn't understand why no one else was looking at the Vikings as a team that's going to be good, because, come on, like they had Greg's voice in their ear.
Speaker 1: You're you're a seer. All right, let's go out to the Panthers.
Speaker 3: The Panthers, Okay, here we go. Hold on, goud turp my computer back on? All right, Panthers provide Bryce Young with some patience and stability for twenty twenty five. Look, things are looking up for Bryce Young. He's been playing better. He's had a one hundred plus passer rating in each of his last two games. He only had two in his first twenty five starts. We can see it just watching. He looks better, he looks more comfortable. Keep Dave Canalis, why don't we curb the coach firing? Just for a year, see how that turns out.
Speaker 4: Maybe.
Speaker 3: Listen, I feel like a lot of the great franchises they have patients, and we know that the Panthers do not.
Speaker 4: But the benching of Bryce.
Speaker 3: Young earlier in this year, maybe it did actually work for him because he came back and slowly we've seen those improvements and they have this young offensive cores with Chewba Hubbard, with Adam Well. Adam Thelands is not like Young, but they have a good exavier look at. I mean, they have some pieces that are all coming back in twenty twenty five and they're gonna have a top pick too. Right now, they're slotted to be six overall, so they can add and I mean the rush. Their run defense is terrible, so they could probably use something on defense. But also it's like just keep building around Bryce Young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they need a pass rusher.
Speaker 5: Derek Brown should be back next year, which will would help, but he was once he left their defense, they just became a sieve crumbled. I think that one thing that I think Dave Canalis has an advantage in coming into this year is he hired a lot of like relatively unknown assistants as well, so he'll be able to keep continuity. Lack of continuity compounds failure and failing franchises in this league, especially rush to rush to judgment firings, and continued continuity actually helps, which was kind of redundant to me saying it, but it actually really does help set this foundation that they badly need.
Speaker 1: Well, then they should keep a Zuero too, something to watch. I'm not sure if he'll stay there or not as a defensive coordinator. All right, Jordan, you have the Cardinals. Once again, me not really being on my details. We're just going all over division wise. Okay, Oh my god.
Speaker 5: In twenty twenty five, we the Arizona Cardinals resolved to develop a clutch gene. Sure, we need better players on defense, and we have to have a really big conversation about the quarterback, at least according to the media chatter on the ground in Phoenix.
Speaker 2: But mediocrity can't be our ceiling anymore.
Speaker 5: I mean, we fizzled out in a wide open NFC West in a forty nine ers down year. For God's sake, we have big ideas offensively and big players except for the quarterback.
Speaker 2: We're ascending defensively.
Speaker 5: The epitome of our unclutchness was our shot at playing spoiler and antagonizing our NFC West big Brothers literally bounced away off the helmet of our best player, who's one of the best players.
Speaker 2: In the league.
Speaker 5: That's how not clutch we are in twenty twenty five. We need to become clutch.
Speaker 1: It's a good call, and they've had some nice continuity. Now they're going to be building. It's that ever important kind of third year with the same regime. But they have done it in the way that you want to do it. They took over maybe the worst team talent wise in the NFL. You played above your talent the first year whatever, four or five wins, but actually kind of look fun doing it. Now you went up to seven. It's another three win jump. The hard part's doing the next part. Yeah, it's got to be a little more clutch.
Speaker 4: I like that second half.
Speaker 3: I just feel like they collapse a lot in the second clutch too, like just in general.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not clutch, all right, got to figure that out.
Speaker 1: I am going to go to the Atlanta Falcons, whose season I've never felt like a team season feels more over when it's totally not over. But when the Bucks playing the Saints this week. It just feels like the Falcon season is over. So I'm looking to the offseason and it's just get younger on defense. This is a more block and tackle type of resolution. But the worst thing to be is old and bad and kind of expensive, and that's what the Falcons are. This was supposed to be a win now type of roster.
Speaker 2: People put it on dating profiles too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and not old, bad and expensive.
Speaker 1: On offense, They're not that old. Some of the offensive line is, but overall it's not old on offense. But their starting defensive line was Grady Jared Eddie, Golden, David An Yamada, and Matthew jud And who were all over thirty, some of whom are pretty expensive. In the secondary, like Jesse Bates is still their best player, but he's getting up there. Justin Simmons that was like a one year older guy. And so they just need to get a lot younger and a lot more talented on defense. And yes for him, Morris, the know how to use touchdown.
Speaker 5: That's the two word phrase of the season for a lot of teams.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny though.
Speaker 1: Playing Michael Pennix these last three weeks is gonna save the vibes. It is funny how good a move that is, because now just the fact that he played and you saw that he's good is like, Okay, this season wasn't a waste. We're going to be good in the future.
Speaker 4: You made some incredible throws in that game. That was such a fun one.
Speaker 1: That was one of the best. All Right, you got rams, Rams wrapping it up here.
Speaker 3: All Right, I'm gon show up before the bye week next season.
Speaker 4: How about we try that on now? Back to back years. They've done this.
Speaker 3: This year before the bye they lost to the Bears and the Cardinals.
Speaker 4: What are we doing here? I understand a division game, but really like the Bears, this is a theme.
Speaker 1: It's also by like thirty points to the Gardinals or something.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean ultimately it didn't end up mattering because they're in the playoffs and they won the division. But with a better faster start at this point, they could be competing for a two seed. They could maybe have another game or two at home. So they just need to figure out a way to not stumble out of the gate.
Speaker 5: I think to that point as well, the the monumental effort of climbing out of a one and four hole with an eleven percent chance of making the postseason at that time. That's that takes a strain, That puts a strain on a group. And yes, the vibes are good. It's a great locker room. It's a bunch of great young players and then some very very savvy old dudes who can still roll when they're feeling good. But it's just so much, it takes so much out of you that you really wonder what juice do they really have the postseason because of how significant that strain of just like climbing rung over rung, like out of the pit.
Speaker 3: It kind of you know, it reminds me of like how I prepare for shows, like I know good is coming and then like I just procrastinate until the very last minute, and then I will cram eighteen hours of work into like two hours.
Speaker 4: See, I don't need to do that.
Speaker 1: I was thinking if they were like a living embodiment of a person or a story. It's it's like Matthew Stafford or some of these older quarterbacks who say, like, as you're getting older, you know in the league, the day after the game, it takes you a little while to get to the bathroom in the morning, you're walking slow to you know, getting out of bed and getting to the bath Like that is them as a team at the beginning of the season, at the beginning of every game they stink in the like it takes them like twenty minutes of every game to cause it's kind of like knock the old bones out or whatever has happening or.
Speaker 5: Watching on YouTube. I really hope we got a shimmy from Grey.
Speaker 1: Let's go Rams, Colleen, I have it.
Speaker 2: We grow off, we throw off, we did it.
Speaker 4: Do another shit.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year to me and you colleagues.
Speaker 1: Forty nine ers, Jordan, Okay.
Speaker 5: My resolution more so. Advice for twenty twenty five for the San Francisco forty nine ers rest, sleep, in, practice, a little self care for God's sake. Kyle Shanahan eats something, then phone up Jerry Jones and ask to borrow's copy of How to Stay Unbothered while your quarterbacks and pending contract is in the news every single day.
Speaker 2: Deep postseason runs.
Speaker 5: And their two Super Bowl appearances in recent history, both losses.
Speaker 2: It takes a toll.
Speaker 5: Deep postseason runs and recovering from those runs. Burnout maintaining a coaching staff that's getting hired out of losing coordinators, making decisions for veteran players, making roster decisions for a team that is getting older. All of this takes a toll, especially in the Mahomes era of football. So my resolution for the forty nine ers is just get as much rest as you can now that your runways nice and long.
Speaker 1: I think that's super helpful for them. I think they've faced all the problems of a dynasty in terms of like winning super Bowls without any of the fun of it, like the money, the selfishness, the just the wear and tear on your body. Except instead of having the you know, the super Bowl ring, you have these crushing disappointments. So it's like it's a tough combo. I'm with you. I think the rest could really help them. It's good they didn't make them.
Speaker 4: Treat yourself, go on a vacation, just do what you need to do to get right.
Speaker 5: It's what makes Andy Reid all the more impressive to me as a slight aside, because I saw up close, like what happened.
Speaker 2: Even when you win the.
Speaker 5: Super Bowl and you just completely crash out mentally the next year. Like, imagine doing that over and over and over and over again, win or lose. That's what these two teams and niners in the Chiefs have been doing. That's what I really think subtenly happened to the Eagles a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: It is a full on body crash.
Speaker 5: You don't know why it's happening to you, but it's happening.
Speaker 1: And yeah, keep growing that out, Kyle, you know, be the be the over forty guy like like me, who's like, oh, let's it's let's grow it out before it's too late.
Speaker 3: They showed like a tight shot of him the other day on the sideline and I was like, oh my god. I mean, I've been watching these games, but like I guess I haven't been like really keyed in on like Kyle Shanahan and and what he what's going on with him?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 4: Is he okay? Do we know he.
Speaker 1: Has like a haunt off season? It's like a haunted vibe to him. I know, I'm worried and just put his freaking dad in the Hall of Fame. By the way, it's like Mike Homegrin, we get it. But we were all there, Mike.
Speaker 2: So much fun back there.
Speaker 1: Buck's easy. This one's awkward. Don't let Liam Cohen leave. You could do two things. You're an ownership group that's rich enough to you know, I've invested in Premier League teams and and you're billionaires. So just pay an outrageous amount to just keep Liam Cohen as an offensive coordinator. If if that's not an op, you have to think about a really difficult one, which would be pushing him to be the head coach. But I think it's really important to not let him leave because he might be the one offensive mine in the entire league, including Ben Johnson, that I think could create the most with the least because we've seen it. Like, so, I just don't let that guy get out of the building. I'm encroaching on our friend Dave Damashek's territory where he thinks like an offensive play caller is worth more, maybe than a quarterback. I don't know if that's true, but it's close enough that you I don't think you can let Liam Cohen leave.
Speaker 5: You got to throw what we and the biz call the Ben Johnson bag at him, like you got to throw the pile of money that they paid Ben Johnson to not leave.
Speaker 2: Phrasing was regrettable.
Speaker 4: I heard it.
Speaker 2: We all heard it.
Speaker 5: We just want to make sure Liam Cohen gets that amount of money and gets stays intact in Tampa Bay. Now I can't focus at all, but take care.
Speaker 1: When when was the phrasing uncomfortable?
Speaker 2: Well, skim right past it.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I must find out now.
Speaker 5: I overthought it to my detriment, right and let us know if you last one, last one before the need.
Speaker 1: Let's wrap it up with the Seahawks.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, I'm trying to google the other thing right now.
Speaker 3: Okay Seahawks Google, Let's leave the land of mediocrity. Okay, because four straight years they have ended between seven and nine wins, so they're not good.
Speaker 4: Enough for a high draft pick.
Speaker 3: But they're like not in the playoffs either, so they just are like stuck in this limbo and it's like football purgatory a little bit, like what what are we doing here? They need to I mean when you look at them, actually we're just talking about the Falcons, and they are a lot like the Falcons, because the Falcons have done that too. I think the two of them are tied for the longest streak of finishing with between seven and nine wins, So it just feels like they need to either are they going to do a full rebuild. I know they brought in a new coaching staff, but like, what are we doing here? Are we going to build around Gino? Are we gonna not have Gino? Are we gonna essentially get off the pot? Like they need to make a decision one way or the other. What they're doing.
Speaker 1: I hear you, But I think it's perspective. Don't let the Pete Carroll years infect What is a new coaching staff? You know what I mean? Like, first of all, they they could land over nine wins, they could get to ten. Everyone's acting like how did you let the Rams like win this division? It's on some ka kamimi fifth tiebreaker. If they win on Sunday, they're gonna go ten and seven. They had an over underwin total of seven and a half. They're gonna tie the Rams in you know, record conference record, division record, common opponents, and it goes to this crazy thing.
Speaker 2: So it's not like very Seahawks way to miss the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Right, I totally get that. And then absolutely my thing is I think they did start to build something on the defensive side this year. Everything you're saying is absolutely true about the offense, that it's in this bad stasis right now. But for a first year head coach, I feel like the disappointment locally because I listen to uh your I listened to that podcast, and there they really think it's such a disappointment, like how this season has gone. Because if you're gonna fire Pete Carroll, it's got to get better. And I think that's a tough way to evaluate a new head coach.
Speaker 5: I think the reason they say that is because they have to endure watching this offensive line.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know it's the Seahawks. It's one of the very unofficial teams of the podcast, but yeah, for you, they could get yes, yes, well.
Speaker 5: Week Quarterback Island, Oh my god, yay, Yes, we got to do a regular season recap of Quarterback Island.
Speaker 1: And it's not looking great. For my guy, Gina, he's made it. He's made it this far. That's an achievement in itself, but I'll just be real, it's not looking great. But your decision not to put Matthew Stafford on the end, which you took a lot of grief for after that Bills game. It's looking just fine now. I mean the last time they, you know, scored like two touchdowns in again, was a month ago, all right, I don't know if that's true. They did score twice against.
Speaker 2: The Jay, it will have been last year by the next time they play.
Speaker 1: Let's break out those Christmas cards. Let's play some festive music. We've talked enough football on NFL Daily twenty twenty four, and so do you want to set this up to, you know, for listeners that maybe weren't with us a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: I don't even remember how this came up, but I was saying that I hadn't gotten any Christmas cards yet. And Christmas cards are like my favorite thing of the holiday season.
Speaker 4: I love to get them. I hang them on my door or if I have a fireplace, over the fireplace. It's a whole thing.
Speaker 3: And I was just like waiting and going to the mailbox every day.
Speaker 4: So tragic. So but don't worry. I did get a bunch of Christmas cards. That's the thing, my actual friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people are last minute with them. It's a day lo suddenly right around Christmas, because.
Speaker 3: It's so I end up doing a show right before Christmas Eve game day morning, I think it was on the twenty second, and in the corner of my locker there was just like a pile of cards.
Speaker 4: What is this?
Speaker 3: And then I started opening them up and I was like, oh my god, these are the Christmas cards from our listeners.
Speaker 2: So I show addresses if you don't mind.
Speaker 4: No, there's no addresses. Okay, So I.
Speaker 3: Got I mean, I got the fun ones where I have pictures of people's family and their cats.
Speaker 1: Too, falcons and giants, household. Yes, it's been a tough decade for that.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry, Seneca, Julie, Meetball and Marmalade. People and Marmalade are wearing jerseys too, which is so fantastic. And Julie wrote me like a really sweet note. It's she's a big fan. She was an ATM listener from upstate New York. She apologized that I.
Speaker 4: Haven't gotten any Christmas cards yet.
Speaker 3: And she wanted to say, as a female NFL fan, thank you for all you do, and I'm so happy to hear you on NFL Daily.
Speaker 4: Really sweet, very nice. Oh my god, So I love that that. Really I started to cry when I read that.
Speaker 3: I got actual like cards from even like a one that's sent out a mass one.
Speaker 4: This is like an individual card.
Speaker 3: That has little notes all over it and really really sweet.
Speaker 4: Just I don't even know.
Speaker 3: I I feel like, what does this one say? Here?
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 5: I submit, Okay, he wants an episode with an all Vibes Island?
Speaker 4: Was your idea the all Island?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I love that one. And that one was from mind Submissions.
Speaker 2: He said it's from Jim Jim will excuse me.
Speaker 5: Jamal Williams and Jamie Alexander wrote this, and his Vibes Island is George Kittle, Jamal Williams and Jamie.
Speaker 2: I thought it was Jamie like I thought it was like the Jamie the Irish.
Speaker 4: Okay, and then we'll do.
Speaker 3: I know. I feel like I'm getting wrapped. Caroline and Tyler.
Speaker 4: Phillips they also like a nice card.
Speaker 1: Nice, which I know.
Speaker 2: I know that's where it gets me. Here I go.
Speaker 3: This one was really sweet and she called me Connie, so I know that she's a real one. Caroline, and she said, you've made me realize it's okay to belly up to a bro field bar and talk ball with confidence.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Here I go.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, So I was like a pile of mush and then.
Speaker 1: I got this one, okay, which.
Speaker 3: This year my Christmas card is a celebration of the semi feral cats and other creatures living in the neighborhood. All the cats, all the cats are fixed and we put out food for them every day.
Speaker 4: Although they don't let anyone get close.
Speaker 3: I can use a laser pointer from my window to play with them, wishing the entire wolf back of Merry Christmas. And it's the twelve Days of Christmas with all of these lives.
Speaker 4: Got a picture of the feral cats.
Speaker 3: So this was the last one I opened, and it was perfect because I let me see, this was so sentimental, mushy and crying. And then I opened that and it made me laugh so hard. So I actually had these hung in my house.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, keeper, that's a keeper.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, you know, we might look for the address and register it with NFL security, just to be safe. O, Like Michael Wu was fine, it's cool, it's cool, but that's.
Speaker 2: So cute, see it, just to be serious.
Speaker 1: Oh that's really sweet. So thank you, thank you to all the listeners.
Speaker 2: There's a possum under the Day NFL Daily.
Speaker 1: You've made uh, look our our first year twenty twenty four since since we got going here really special. And we couldn't do it without everyone listening. And we couldn't do it without Colleen. And yeah, before we let her go, she does have a birthday coming up in just a couple of days, so let's bring out we got her what I think she likes. Two things that I think she likes the best. Thank you, Chris. He's done a great job for us, stepping in for Randy. Uh some donuts? What could be donuts from sidecar?
Speaker 3: Are?
Speaker 4: Is there really donuts in here?
Speaker 1: There are so many donuts in there you have to actually eat them all. You can't share them with everyone?
Speaker 4: God, are you kidding me? You guys? This is so sweet? Look at these donuts.
Speaker 1: And yeah this is not sponsored, but if you're out there.
Speaker 4: Sidecars, si car is so good.
Speaker 1: And then on top of that, so I'm giving you, know, hopefully your two favorite things like a good sweet and then I'm also going to give to you, Colleen, no evidence that you were right. You you were right?
Speaker 3: Sam, Yes we do, because I would love to remind you Greg that I've been talking about Sam Darnold in the Viking since before the season started. I've been getting a little too high on the Vikings, and I feel like I shouldn't be. It's sort of the the forbidden strain that I've been going with here. But the Vikings, like Sam Donald was always the plan for the Vikings. They were never going to go the other route. He was always going to start, and he's gotten almost all of the first team reps from the off season program up until now. Justin Jefferson's out here telling Diana Rossini that he's surprised how good Donald's arm.
Speaker 4: Is, that his passes are right in hands and.
Speaker 2: Feel like a soft TAILO.
Speaker 4: That is true. That is a direct quote. So maybe I'm crazy.
Speaker 3: But everyone who is just already writing off the Vikings and saying that they are going to be worst in the division, I don't know. Man, you gotta think hard about that one. So just for some context too, that last clip was we were supposed to be things that we were getting a little too high on. So I did. I really leaned into the part you nailed it to the bit.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know that was the bit until we were actually taping it. And then I went along with you and that was absolutely beautiful. But yes, that was that was Those were the very clips that you just organically happened to bring up earlier in August and in September. You were right.
Speaker 4: Thank you. That is the greatest gift of all.
Speaker 3: This is the most thoughtful gift that anyone has ever given me.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's go love it. Thank you for another fun NFL Daily. And yeah, yeah, the year is ending, but the week is not. We still have our previews show coming up on Thursday. Hit hit the music. Wait, you're going to Miami.
Speaker 4: You're going to Miami. Oh my gosh, less than twenty four hours Miami.
Speaker 1: It's a first NFL Daily. We broke up the music because we forgot Yes, so celebrate, celebrate your birthday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, happy birthday, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Birthday.
Speaker 4: Back next week with stories, I'm sure of it.
Speaker 1: Enjoy. Yeah, we'll be back with Nick Chuck in the studio along with me and Patrick and Steve. That will be Thursday, when we're wrapping up twenty twenty four. You know, football is back, you guys.
Speaker 4: That's so nice.