Speaker 1: Busting with the Boys Spring Tour twenty twenty four. If you guys are watching right now, thank you, Thank you for all the support that you show. What we do on the Spring Tour is we go round at different universities. The first stop Nebraska. We've done Nebraska, Florida State, We're gonna do Oregon. In Alabama, we sit down with a couple players and the head coach to talk about the expectations on the upcoming year. And you know, you get everybody relaxed in the off season. Everybody's winning when you're in the off season. This episode we have Dylan Reola. We talked to him about the quarterback room. Being a five star recruit, I compare him to Jesus Christ of the New Testament and all the expectations that come with him coming to Nebraska. And then I also talk to him about what was the other thing, Mitch, keep your room to hit to keep your room.
Speaker 2: That's fans recruiting journey.
Speaker 1: In his recruiting journey, he committed to Ohio State, then he d committed and went to Georgia. Then he d committed and came to Big Red Country. But thank you guys for watching again. If you're watching, make sure you're subscribed, make sure you're leaving comments, and again, thank you so much much for all the support. Big hugs, tiny kisses, and go big Red. All Right, welcome back to another episode of Busts with the Boys. My first question, Dylan Rola, who wrote the poem?
Speaker 3: I didn't write it.
Speaker 1: I had to know. I had to ask pushing that poem. No, yeah, people, Well, people are gonna try and come to me like, oh you write this poem. Yeah, I'm gonna write for my guy like there's no Yeah, it's a hell of a poem. But I still got to ask who wrote it? You know what I mean. I'm never gonna sit here and and we were just laying in my man and just start clowning, like do any of that. I'm not gonna fall into any of that. Pure pressure. I'm riding my guy.
Speaker 2: Indeed, Yeah, you was definitely right.
Speaker 1: Did your dad write it?
Speaker 3: Nah? My dad and mom actually had someone do it.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, Yeah nice?
Speaker 2: So I mean that was smart though. Yeah, it just looks better, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I was trying to I was trying to get I was telling Rule. I was like, yeah, here he's on campus, like let me FaceTime in and close the deal for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, last and I was at his apartment and he told me about it, and I was like, well, I was trying to get you to close the deal right now.
Speaker 3: Like I couldn't tell him.
Speaker 1: I was later on Sunday, Oh, I think I had, like Orlovsky tipped me off. Yeah, hed not not to out my boy Orlosky, which I just did. But I was like, yeah, ill keep it under the rafts. Like He's like, you didn't hear it from me? I was like, oh man, we gotta fucking we almost guy, we gotta get dealing. Hey, but for real, talk to us about your recruiting. You were committed to Ohio State first, then you commit decommand then go to Georgia and correct me if I'm wrong. You were you were you living in Georgia. I was, So you're getting acclimated to be a Georgia Bulldog best in the country, and then you flip last minute to Nebraska. Take us through the recruiting process of dyling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Ohio State. That was that happened fast. I wasn't really ready to commit and then I went, you know, went there. A couple of times, I kind of was like, this is where I want to be. And then things changed and you know, Georgia was my first offer. So I always always loved Georgia, love Coach Smart, and then uh moved to Georgia.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't regret it. I loved it just for the state it was.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 4: I don't know, after the season was over, I'm like, Dad, like I want to do something different. I don't like Georgia is the best team. Yeah, I respect coach Smart and everything he does, but like Nebrassa's the only place that you can bring back and it can mean something more than we just want a game or won a championship. I think we do that here, make a lot of people happy and it'll be special.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you did you not like Georgia like the city of Georgia where you was at?
Speaker 1: Like what?
Speaker 2: Like something had to make you not want to go to Georgia? Like what was it? The city? Did you not feel like you fit it in in Georgia? Like what was it?
Speaker 4: I want to do something different. I mean, I think it's normal for the five star guys to go to the Alabama's, Georgia's and Clemson, which they can do all that, right, but I think having the legacy my dad left here, the names in the stadium, so much history of this place. I was like, Lincoln, Nebraska is a special place and they just need they just need, you know, to be have winners in the program and gonna make it happen.
Speaker 1: What uh, if we're thinking about if we're thinking about the beginning, because obviously, like, yeah, being a big time recruit like you are, you get fascinated with like the Georgia's and the Bamas. Like you were saying, what was it in the what was it through the transition or in the beginning that maybe you weren't wanting to go to Nebraska or whether you're just playing hard to get, but what what what was it that was kind of cultivating other than you were just kind of waking up and be like I want to do something different, Like what was kind of happening or didn't happen in the be and what happened in the end to kind of get you to come back to Nebraska.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, coach will always preach me what you want to do for this program, but for me, I needed to see it.
Speaker 3: And even though they were in five and seven.
Speaker 4: I think there's a lot of a lot of things that happened that that they could have been eleven to one and just lose to Michigan. So I took that as a as a positive. And I actually was here for the Michigan game, and you know, I felt a different vibe than, you know, than I came before.
Speaker 3: So I felt like, let's do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll talk about NIL deals, Like, was that was that like a big part in your recruiting class too, Like, was a lot of people pursuing you with n IL deals?
Speaker 2: Like, tell us what that looked like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's a different that's different time and recruiting in NIL space. People do it different ways, come at you different ways. But for me, I didn't handle that stuff. My parents handled it, my my marketing team handled it. So I'm grateful for that. I didn't want to deal with that. Yeah, you guys handle that. I'll play football And that's kind of how.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: And that's great too. How how beneficial is it to have like, you know, your uncle, he's obviously here and has success in the coaching world. Your dad had an unbelievable career and has had a lot of success in this business. How much of a head start do you feel like you have kind of having those influences to help you out, because a lot of kids too, they don't necessarily have all these pieces around them or understand that. How helpful and how influential has your family been.
Speaker 4: It's been tremendous. I mean, my dad's been through it all, seeing it all. My mom was with him the whole time, so she's seen it on the back end. And yeah, I think it's been great just to help me stay focused on football. And really, all I know when I'm getting paid is when it hits my account, so it's like just keep working.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my parents been great, great for me and you know, kind of teaching me how to spand save all those different kind of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Man, Now I want to talk about award.
Speaker 6: So you got the Polynesian Football Award for twenty twenty three. Man, tell us about that, Like, how did that feel, especially being from the Pacific Island giving back? Got so many people out there watching you want to be in your footsteps and do what you do.
Speaker 4: What does that mean to you? It was special leaving Hawaii. You know, I call that home because that's you know where I grew up, but it was special. And I went out there two years before to kind of help promote the game for my year, and I set out to go win that award, and I think to win it was special. But you know, when I left home, I never played football and I only started playing football in freshman year at least quarterback.
Speaker 3: And so to go back.
Speaker 4: Home play in front of my family and friends, it was like it was weird because when I was at home, I played baseball. Never see me in shorter paths and a helmet and you had to come back. That's actually my mom went to high school. So for real, Yeah, it was like weird, mom went the high school.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you got to go back and do it there where your mom was at high school.
Speaker 3: Do it there.
Speaker 1: You talk about Hawaii and you're in a place like Nebraska, talk about the change, talk about how you've been getting acclimated. You were a minior kat too, so you've been in so you've already you understand the weather here alimated.
Speaker 4: It's actually funny the negative when it was super cold. I was in Hawaii that week, so all my all my boys back here, like my roommates from Miami, A couple of guys from Miami. They're freezing over here. I'm like, I'm in paradise. Yeah, But and I just get used to, like not having the greenery. You know, there's a lot of just trees and nothing on the trees.
Speaker 1: Some gray.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're like, wake up, it's night time. Ready, So you gotta just get used to.
Speaker 1: How's it been? How's it been getting acclimated in the in the college room? In the college world.
Speaker 3: It's fun.
Speaker 4: Schools a lot study hall every day for an hour turns into two hours to get your work done?
Speaker 1: Is it? Is it mandatory?
Speaker 4: Manatory fresh Yeah, So you gotta put your time and then you can get out of there.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm trying to do.
Speaker 1: They have a certain GPA to get out of it.
Speaker 2: I think that's.
Speaker 1: I want you at that three to zero.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gone, But most people come.
Speaker 6: I'll be like, bro, don't get back and study all program, Like, don't come back?
Speaker 2: Why you get out to come back?
Speaker 1: Right? Right? Bro? Take care of your class.
Speaker 6: Take care of your class. So how is the quarterback room? You know you coming in?
Speaker 2: You the hot you hot ship.
Speaker 6: Everybody talking about you. You know, you got starters in there, what what it looked like in there?
Speaker 2: It's fun.
Speaker 4: I think the first couple of times were like trying to learn the plays is like, man, I don't like I'm not used to not knowing the plays, but coming to a new system and and uh I got to catch up and learn. So it kind of forced me to speed up, grow up faster. But it's been fun competing, you know, just trying to enjoy the room. I mean, there's there's a lot that can happen, but uh, I think competition is the only way to settle it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, indeed, how do you feel like you handle? Because obviously you come in with all the expectation. Everybody's aware of the expectation of dealing, especially coming in Nebraska. You know how this fan base is right basically you coming in as it aligns a lot with what Jesus did in the New Testament. Yeah, how do you do? How do you feel like you deal or handle? I guess the pressure with it doesn't feel natural to you? Does it feel easy? Doesn't feel like a distraction at times? Like what are you doing and what are you leaning on? To kind of deal with all of that?
Speaker 4: I think to just hear the expectations and kind of you can feel it, you know, you walk out and you go hang out the guys and around downtown, you can just feel people are waiting a wind. And I think that's motivation for me now, I don't want to let these people down coming in with all the expectations.
Speaker 3: I just want to deliver.
Speaker 4: And I think that's just a message I have to me my guys, you know, one on one with them is we have a lot of talent in the room. We have a lot of skill, and we can go make it happen. We just we got to stay focused. You know, we go out start two three, and oh, people are tell us how good we are. We just got to stay focused and keep going.
Speaker 6: So, what it's like when you outside this campus, like people notice you, like people coming up asking for your photos. What it's like, because I mean you you was a big thing.
Speaker 2: We know. My man's was.
Speaker 1: Keep being in the Nebraska Athlete. I feel like this place the just no, it's you.
Speaker 6: Are the I feel like if you like a top guy like him, yeah, I feel like they gonna know.
Speaker 2: I don't think they knew who you.
Speaker 1: Were, right, I know, the dude who had the juice when I was playing, it was like rex Burg Ka, Taylor Martinez, Kenny Bell. Kenny Bell like worked at the bar of the bar. He would he would work at the bar of the bar until like three in the morning and close it down, like work there as an employee and then come to work out till like seven in the morning. Yeah that's crazy. But yeah, those dudes had the jews like you're Yeah, I feel I feel what.
Speaker 2: You what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Hey, but the fan bases is awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's crazy. I'm ready for the spring game. I just I don't know how I'm gonna get that ton of walk. I've seen it growing up, watching it saw as a recruit, and I don't think it's gonna be way different actually doing it. Yeah, but yeah, I mean what you're saying it's cool people notice me is it's kind of I gotta make sure I'm looking sharp walk out. I can't wear joggers and look like all sloppy. I gotta be matching, try to where a d It's just that's what we are. And yeah, that's kind of how you feel.
Speaker 1: Do you play a role in uh in recruiting? Like you being a five star coming here and knowing like we gotta get uh you know some of those some of those four and five star guys. Do you find yourself playing a role in recruiting, Like are you DM and casts?
Speaker 4: Are you like, yeah, I'm trying to help bring as much talent as you can't hear. I mean, recruiting season now and everyone's everyone's coming through to come and see us, and you know, get text from recruiting people, come see this guy, Come see this guy. I'm like, I got class, I got all this stuff, Like, yeah, I'll come say what's up? But it's fun. I mean I remember being recruited signed to how it feels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you familiar with like who visits and things like that?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 3: If I'm not, yes, But if i'm not, catch me up real quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Watch five clips of their highlights and be like, all right, he's good.
Speaker 6: I mean you landed to receivers just because of him coming here. I think, I want to say Davon Hall and there Yeah, yeah, so they landed when they seen they got him landed two top receivers. That's gonna be should bring something to the table, be something to be.
Speaker 2: Excited to watch. It's up it's up. Yeah, make no.
Speaker 1: Mistake, I'm not hating bro.
Speaker 2: I am not. I am a Will Compton hater. Not in the breast.
Speaker 1: What we were sitting with the we were sitting Nash a little bit ago, and the question him was his favorite post away and meal from running Way, like, what is your what is one of your go to spots in link in Nebraska? A go to meal?
Speaker 4: I mean everyone talks about runs. I haven't had it yet, but I like Kenes. I think I had knes the first time ever was in Nebraska. So I always going to the same canes right downtown and give me a box Combo.
Speaker 1: Box combo. You take this law or you sub it out?
Speaker 3: No, I sub it out Mortos.
Speaker 2: Wait, but didn't you live in Arizona for a little bit? I did? Yeah, I looked at it. Didn't have a cane.
Speaker 3: When I went through high school. I tried not to eat fast food.
Speaker 1: What's your what are your thoughts on in and Out?
Speaker 4: Oh man, I'm a Shakeshack fan. I love shakeshat way better than shit.
Speaker 1: He's right, Shakeshack's better than in and Out.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about five guys.
Speaker 1: Five guys is also elite. It's five guys.
Speaker 3: Elite, elite, expensive to.
Speaker 6: Fifteen dollars a burger. For a sloppy burger, they throw it in that foil.
Speaker 2: You got to wash your hands.
Speaker 3: We can't wear whites.
Speaker 1: You talking about the breads wet because.
Speaker 2: It's old juice. Uf. Yeah, man, that thing be sloppy, be dripping you what I'm saying, I'm.
Speaker 1: On like a I'm on a journey to get everybody saying that in and outs average because I did it's average.
Speaker 2: I think it is average. I just like a fresh burger.
Speaker 1: Hey, Gary, you heard you saw right.
Speaker 3: It's like going to McDonald's to get a burger.
Speaker 2: I think I like McDonald's.
Speaker 1: He tries to say McDonald's is better than it is.
Speaker 6: The Big Mac is untouchable at back at Max sauce, extra Max sauce. You gotta put another cheese because big Back only put what cheese. I don't know why they do that.
Speaker 1: You wish us hyping the Big Mac? What? Growing up? Who are some quarterbacks that you try to emulate your game?
Speaker 4: After Stafford? I was girlfriend Stafford. He was a gun slinger. Still is my boy, Patty pat my homesack. It's cool to watch him play and I know I did to train with him and be around him. It's pretty cool. I'm supposed to play golf here in a little bit together. Yeah, I just got some new sticks, so I gotta if I have time to go out and practice and playing today, that's what they said o'clock. I don't have my club's on here yet.
Speaker 6: So is your game similar to Pats like, because y'all got like that similar body style.
Speaker 3: I try.
Speaker 4: I try to be my own guy, but I try to take what he does. Just the Super Bowl run, what he was doing with his I watched his feet. You know, everybody watches all his throws, and you know, we trained the same guy, so I can kind of understand what he's doing. But you know, he's feeling all that pressure and he's kind of just buying time and he's so strong in the lower half and he just he makes throws.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, crazy.
Speaker 1: Did you just were you a massive Stafford fan? I assume growing up with him being on uh, your dad's team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was like a young pup and my dad called him a young pup. He uh funny hit him and his wife there.
Speaker 3: He was rookie year.
Speaker 4: They they didn't get anything for Christmas dinner meal, and so they woke up Christmas Day and we're like, everything's closed, like texting my dad, everything's closed, and my Dad's like, it's Christmas. So he just had him over to the house and he it was just funny because he didn't know nothing's open on Christmas.
Speaker 3: He's still trying to figure it out.
Speaker 1: Hey, what a what a what a celebration? His celebration video after the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the photographer fell off.
Speaker 3: He didn't know what to do.
Speaker 1: I mean he didn't know where he was at. I mean, he's celebrating.
Speaker 6: So you was a young buck being around him as a young kid, and you didn't even play football at the time.
Speaker 4: I didn't even know how to grip. I used to just hold the ball like this and throw it my hand.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you play before freshman year?
Speaker 4: I was scared, for real, scared, really. I didn't want to get hit. Linebackers got bad intentions. What changed your mind? I like, I was a catch yourself. I was always a thrower, and uh I'm not. I was like quarterback, a little tom. I didn't get my dad's like a little bigger body bill. Let see if I can found a little bit.
Speaker 2: Like not too bad. I don't want to go too big.
Speaker 3: Not too big. He's a little skinny.
Speaker 1: Now damn just go out there and sing. Then you sling it and you're like, okay, maybe I'm all right at.
Speaker 2: This point, you like, I don't get hit. This is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I know you get flags? Now you get hit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys do get you gotta do.
Speaker 3: If you get hit late on the flag, you just you.
Speaker 1: Can kind of flop a little bit.
Speaker 2: Now, throw your hands up your does just let your head hit the ground. Yeah, right right flag.
Speaker 1: A little bit like like r G to like he's in a car wreck every time we got anything else we're doing. Favorite thing you haven't been around long enough, but I'll still ask the question. Favorite thing about coach rule and then a pet peeve for coach rule.
Speaker 4: Favorite thing about cultural. He's got some juice, and I like his juice. He's always he's always like trying to you know, he's a players coach, so he's always around us trying.
Speaker 3: To match our juice, and we're not matching his juice. So let us know. You know, he's really loud.
Speaker 4: But his biggest pet feet is Matt dres I came here and all I heard was about Matt DROs And we got a whole two months or a whole month of training before, and I'm like, well, I'm not gonna see these Matt DROs. Like you guys keep talking about it, but when are they gonna come? And when they came, that's like his baby. He's all in on that. He believes in it and he goes with.
Speaker 3: It the.
Speaker 1: Feel I've heard about him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're like wheezing.
Speaker 2: You're like, what's the what do it consists of?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 4: Uh, basically start behind the lines like military. You gotta snap down on account. You gotta dive out, pop up, sli shuffle, different things like that, and you gotta go sled push races. Then you gotta go to the med ball like a wrestle. So you're like locked in the one med ball with two people on one person on each side.
Speaker 3: You guys just hold a little bit.
Speaker 4: I mean you're getting elbowed and people are falling all over the place, and there's agility and then the best stations the walking.
Speaker 3: Speed for him. You're trying to work on your speed for him.
Speaker 2: You're like, I get it, break.
Speaker 1: Well, bro, thanks for coming on. Man, thanks been awesome. Yeah, and shout out coach Rule letting Dylan come on. I had to kind of like talk them into it a little bit, like, come on, man, I'm not going to talk too much about the quarterback situation, but thank you man. It's been awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely,