Speaker 1: Like who is more mysterious? You were Ernie Adams, I don't know, you don't know. That's Bill can't. You can't give me the Patriot technique. You can't just lean on ask coach, can't. This is something we used to get taught all the time. If you got flustered with the question with the media, Bill would always say, just bring it back to me.
Speaker 2: Just just tell him to ask me, because they've already asked already.
Speaker 1: They've already asked already. Today we have a very special guest.
Speaker 3: Bill Belichick's right hand man.
Speaker 2: He's Bill Belichick's right hand.
Speaker 1: Man, man of mystery. But anyone who played for the Patriots new bearers.
Speaker 4: He knows where the buyser. Barry the guy who knows where everything is, everything's up to, but you don't know who he is.
Speaker 1: By design, No, by design everything to do with any kind of operation.
Speaker 2: Bears was there.
Speaker 1: Former Patriots Director of Football Ops slash head coach administration, Bears Nagerian.
Speaker 2: The coaches I've worked under, pat Riley, Bill Parcells, Jef Van Gundy, Bill Belichick, Bill O'Bryan, Like, I'm doing all right?
Speaker 1: So are you the coach whisper? Are you the coach, whisper or bears. Now we are going over the Tuna Bowl Jets versus Patriots, Week three, nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: And this one has massive storylines. The year before Hatriots Super Bowl loser, and this game was just off the chartist hype due to a lot of circumstances center me around the man they called Tuna.
Speaker 1: So what's the misconception of building you know?
Speaker 2: With Bill?
Speaker 1: Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome to Games with Names. I'm Julian Edelman. They're Jack and Kyler, and we are on a mission to find the greatest game of all time. This is another Games with Names Boston edition episode. Feels great to be back in the town back baby. It's always great to be back in this town. I act like the Bay back baby baby. Where anytime I come back here, I live in La now, and when I go on a trip or something, I go back to LA. It's starting to feel home, you know. I with my new routine everything, but anytime I come back to Boston, I go to my condo or my place.
Speaker 2: This feels like home. It's home.
Speaker 1: So many great memories, so many unbelievable people that I've met that have been pivotal parts of my life and career. It's just great to be back. And today we are covering the Tuna Bowl from Week three of the nineteen ninety seven season with former Patriots Director of Football Ops Slash head Coach Administration Slash instagram Sifting and current chief of staff for Boston College Football Bears, Nigerian Man of Mystery, Man of mystery. But we all anyone who played for the Patriots New Bears. He was like, he was kind of like, who's the sidekick to the principal system principle? He's kind of assistant principle, not really because he didn't have that one.
Speaker 4: When people ask him, I'm saying, he knows where the buyers are buried. He's the guy who knows where everything is. Everything's up to that's ugged in, but you don't know who he is.
Speaker 2: By design, it's a big at.
Speaker 1: He's a buffer. He's the buffer.
Speaker 5: He's seen a lot of thing. You've seen a lot of stuff go down, seeing a lot of great football, been part of a lot of great football, built dynasties.
Speaker 4: With Bills just texted me that he's Smithers.
Speaker 5: I was just gonna say is that a mister Burne Smithers tye.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he's cooler than Smithers.
Speaker 2: Could be.
Speaker 1: That's a good that's a good little uh across the the way from ol the Soft.
Speaker 5: Swiss Soft don't miss baby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great interview.
Speaker 1: That's a great interview. This is an insane interview. We get into talking about being Bill Belichick's right hand man. Still Is I think still Is kind of feels like it even though he works for Billy Oh and he's Billy O's right here man at Boston College. The drama between Parcels and the Patriots back in the day.
Speaker 2: A lot of drama, A lot.
Speaker 5: Of drama, jumping ship, bad blood, rematch, revenge, Hatesvitz Jets, Pattatriots Jets, full soap opera, and all the behind the scenes things.
Speaker 2: It took to build a dynasty.
Speaker 1: A lot of hard work, a lot of hard work, and a lot of people, not just the team, not just the coaches, but the people like the people like Bears.
Speaker 2: And then we get into wrapping it up with the old hot line.
Speaker 5: Love it got some good calls this week. Let's go get in.
Speaker 1: Come on September fourteenth, nineteen ninety seven, Foxboro Stadium, Foxboro, Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: Bill Parcells returns to New England for the first time after leading to them to a Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: But this Sunday night soap opera won't be settled in regulation.
Speaker 2: This is the tune.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe.
Speaker 2: That was awesome. Welcome to Games with Names.
Speaker 1: And today we have a very special guest. We have Bears Nigerian joining us here in the nuthouse, Boston version, Boston version. Welcome to the studio, Jewels, great to be here.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable. Is it unbelievable? Yeah? It is. I mean we're together hours and hours and years in like a hallway or an office or a locker room or field, and that we're sitting in here in your studio, on your set. This is my house. This isn't a studio or a set. This is this.
Speaker 1: We do this in the real places that we live because we want real conversations. And I just hope that the world gets a real conversation from the Bears, the myth, the man.
Speaker 2: The legend.
Speaker 1: Now we are going over the tunabwl Woo Jets versus Patriots, Week three, nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Why this game, Bears, This is a big game man for so many reasons. It's a huge game. You know, this game, this is one of the most hype games ever, every regular season games, I swear like regular season games to that point. It's one of the most hype games ever. And I was I was actually part of it. I think most people by this point might think of me as a Patriot, as they should twenty four.
Speaker 1: Years as Robert Craff said, we are all Patriots.
Speaker 2: We are for sure. But before I was a Patriot, I was a jet And that was actually a jet Week three, nineteen ninety seven for the Tuna Bowl, and this game was just off the charts hype due to a lot of circumstances center around the man they called Tuna Bill Parcells. Yeah, there are numerous players, great players, Patriot Hall of famers, Pro Football Hall of famers, in this game. There was this There was a lot of emotion going into this game and during this game before a lot of other things happened in the years to come, but this is really a milestone event before social media. Nowadays, social media is what hypes games, right, Twitter, Instagram, all these things. There's social media and it's off the charts. But then there was no social media. There was barely on the internet. It's barely on the internet in nineteen ninety seven. So games were hyped by splashy headlines and newspapers and sports talk radio, which were live in humming in New York and Boston at the time.
Speaker 1: Humming, Yeah, is this the greatest game of all time?
Speaker 2: Bears, No, it's not the greatest of all time. I can't say that. I can't say it. I'm just saying that. It's a lot of guests. Yeah, I mean I can't. I can't sit here and break down a bunch of plays and do exces, and but I can do themes and storylines, and this one has massive storylines. The year before, Patriots Super Bowl loser is Tuna in Is He's out. He's out, and there's a lot of fallout that came with that. As people know the men's beloved in New York. He was beloved here as Patriots coach, went to the Super Bowl. But then he leaves and it's not all good. There's some venom toward him. There's a lot of hype in the media and week three, here we are the next season, the very next season, coming off of Super Bowl year, the Jets are coming off of a one in fifteen season. But there's a lot of excitement, optimism with the rival of Bill Parcells and his staff and the people in Foxboro. Man, you know, like they were ready for this game, a night game. There weren't that many night games in Foxborough leading up to that. I don't know how many, but I don't think there were a lot of night games even in that stadium. And the fans were ready to go, ready to go, fueled up, egging busses like not one or two, I mean like egging buses.
Speaker 1: This is back when fans could be fans. This is back when fans could be fans. Jack Eggs on the bus.
Speaker 5: It is in Jellette either, this is in Jellette. It was old Boxborough st sixty thousand plus.
Speaker 2: Sixty thousand plus right, I'm.
Speaker 5: Going back and watching this tape. There was a world, it felt like a bizarro world where the NFL Sunday Night Football was on TNT TNT and Craig Sager was on the sidelines of a football game and Vern Lndquist was up in the booth for T and T with Mark Man.
Speaker 2: It was wild.
Speaker 5: It was a ninety seven football I love it.
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety.
Speaker 1: This is when football was football. All Right, we'll dive into that bear.
Speaker 2: We'll get back to the game. But it is a cool game. Oh, it's amazing. We're gonna get to the game. Okay, We're gonna get to the game, because that's kind of why we're here, right, No, that we're here to talk about this game.
Speaker 1: All the reason why we're here.
Speaker 2: All the reasons. But what's life looking like for you right now? Good? It's going great. You know at Boston college's been there like four months now. It's very interesting. Let's say some things are very similar, you know, like football's football, and if you walk into a Bill O'Brien team meeting or Bill O'Brien staff meeting, you're hearing a lot of Bill Belichick themes, philosophies, but with a different with a different twist. They have very different personalities for sure, but at its core there's some similarities there. But b C is a great place. He knows what he's doing and it'll be it's good to be at a place with an identity. BC has an identity, knows what it's what it is that education and building the whole person and playing good football given to the community and like that's what he's about. It's a great fit with him. It's a great fit with me to be with him, because you know, I know the guy so well. Great think about this I've been and we go back to it. But the coaches I've worked under, and we can go back to the next, pat Riley, Bill Parcells, well, Jeff fun Jeff Fan Gundy. I think Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Bill O'Brien, like, I'm doing all right?
Speaker 1: So are you the coach whisper Are you the coach whisperer bears?
Speaker 2: No, No, I wouldn't say that. I'm just just trying to help out man.
Speaker 1: Like who is more mysterious?
Speaker 5: You were?
Speaker 2: Ernie Adams, I don't know. I don't know. You know, you don't know that's Bill or Bill. Oh you can't.
Speaker 1: You can't give me the patriot technique. You can't just lean on ask coach.
Speaker 3: Can't.
Speaker 2: This is something we used to get taught all the time.
Speaker 1: If you got flustered with the question with the media, Bill would always say, just bring it back to me.
Speaker 2: Just just tell him to ask me, because they've already asked already.
Speaker 1: They've already asked already.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know. I mean maybe I am a little bit. I don't go out there. I mean maybe other than now and talk about myself and what I do is the people. No one knows.
Speaker 1: And that's why we wanted to bring you in here because it's it's like it's because of people like you that people outside the building don't really realize how much of a team sport winning in an organization is. It's not just about the players and the coaches. It's about the people, the operations and people. It's about the facility people. It's about the equipment, equipment for sure, it's about the training staff. And that's what we want to have you on here. Can you tell the people what your role was with the Patriots?
Speaker 2: I mean there are a lot of specifical what was the actual title? And then we can get in what your role it was kind of lengthy director of football slash head coach administration. Okay, you know what that means. It means that I help him. What it doesn't mean is I don't coach players.
Speaker 5: You know that.
Speaker 2: I never coached you, never talked to you about your technique or a route or whatever defense. So I don't do that. We can eliminate that I don't do. I don't do treatments on players.
Speaker 1: But mental treatment. You gave me mental treatment barriers when I needed it. Sometimes I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Keep going. But you know, he's involved. He is responsible for a lot of stuff, a lot like Honestly, I think about sometimes, like who in the NFL, other than maybe the commissioner, like handle more than him. You know, every contract, every play, every higher and every whatever. Dealing with lots of things. So when he was at Cleveland, I think he took you know, all that on himself, like everything, and then when he realized second time around, like he doesn't need to do all that, like give all that's a lot of that to somebody else to handle all the other shit, as he put it, So stuff that's important, you know, all the operational things, like you know, making sure travel is right the way he wants it, making sure you know, everybody's on the same page with whatever the schedule or how we're going to handle some event that's coming up, or what's really important at the Patriots organization is as good as it is on the field, it's very sophisticated and accomplished off the field with business things and sponsorships and pr and all those things. Like it's elite, so the football team has a part in that. So I was kind of the go between and a lot of those things like fulfilling obligation to a corporate partner and we need players you've been in allow all those things. So a lot of that would go through me, and he don't want to really deal with that stuff, but we got to make it happen. We got to make it work. So like picking an event that you did through the club, and I was probably involved in it somewhere along the line. You know a lot of things with access to the team, which is very important, you know, showing behind the scenes things which we didn't do every day, but we did a fair amount over the years. Like we did like that's got to go through somebody between me and Stacy James, and you know, we would get in there, we'd see the footage and I, let's use this, that looks good whatever, and like that's like a weekly basis during the season.
Speaker 1: So you feel you had a lot of hats, Yeah, you had a lot.
Speaker 2: Of hats, which is blig lessing for me because it allowed me to interact with a lot of people a lot. I mean, I wasn't like just doing sitting at my desk doing one thing. I was working with everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was. Bears was with everyone. He was in every meeting. He was the first person you saw when you walk through the door because his office was at the entrance, and you know, you would see Bears. He probably just came in from his seventeen mile run in the morning.
Speaker 2: Always running. The guy's in elite shape.
Speaker 1: And then he'd be handing out red scheduled like everything to do with any kind of operation, Bears was there.
Speaker 2: Now. Can you what was like the most taxing day for you for work? Yeah? What was it like? Because you know, like Tuesday's players day off.
Speaker 1: Our Thursday was always an elite tax day for the player because it was third down. It was our last day of practice. Fast Fridays the next day you travel on Saturday. What was your most taxing day that you like had to use all that brain power.
Speaker 2: Definitely Monday and tuesdays during the season for sure. Probably Monday, because you know, you come in and I like to watch the game, the TV copy of the game. Like by the end of Monday, I'd like to have watched that just to kind of see, you know, what the world is seeing. You know what's me? Is it a signed or you did that on personal You know, with Bill over the years, there are a lot of things that were assigned that he expected and he asked for. But there are also things that I just kind of did that and gave you worked proactively, not reactively. A lot of times I did.
Speaker 1: And Sam, you hear that, Sam, see you around corners, Sam Man.
Speaker 2: So I would you know, out of watching the game, maybe I would say hey, Bill or write it down and it to him. A few things that came out of that. You know, Okay, that's good for him to know. Then he wouldn't have otherwise known like what, here's what, here's something the announcers said that their coaches said about us. You know, we won the football.
Speaker 1: Look you say something to the media, I'll fucking tell you the game plan.
Speaker 2: You know what, Sometimes they do sometimes they do they or if you build it over the course of a whole season, going back to training camp, like you know a lot of guys are open, so you know it's not like the entire game plan and you know, one comment, but over the course of like ten games, you might get some themes which everything's logged. Yeah. Sure, you know, if we won, if we won a ball game, which you know, we won a lot of ball games, they're gonna be game ball winners. They're gonna be quotes on the they're gonna be I do know. No, I don't game I take that. No, I didn't say I gave game balls. But game ball winners get pictures on a wall. Okay, pictures, so not it's not all me, but it starts with the photographers that Dave Silverman's and those guys, and you know right there, like they take thousands of photos during a game. Well those kind of get filtered down.
Speaker 1: Filter, you filter them every you go through every photo.
Speaker 2: And now our stuff, I might go through like sixty to get to the twenty two or so that we put up, you know what I mean. And for the so you know, sometimes there was some backlash on that, like where's my picture?
Speaker 1: I used to get this all the time for the listener.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, you'd walk in every week after a victory and we'd have highlighted pictures throughout the facility of that week's game. A big play moment, a big block, a big touchdown, the lineman celebrating in the end zone, something that you know, basically showed what we did in that week's game. And you know, you walk in and we all knew.
Speaker 2: Bears picked the photos. We all knew Bears picked the photos.
Speaker 1: There's there's a line of guys, but Bears was a lead and sometimes you know, you go in there like for US players to have your picture on the wall, At least for me, I loved it, like you wanted to go in. That means they recognized you or what you did in the game as something of some importance.
Speaker 2: And that's all we were trying.
Speaker 1: To do there is just try to get a little something nice out of you know coach, you know, because he was very stickler. He was hard on you, but he needed that. But that was his way of showing appreciation. So Bears was at the forefront of that. So if you know, you go in after a game and you look at it. I'd walk through all every hall, I'd walk through every hall, I see, I bet Bears, where the fu's my photo?
Speaker 2: Right? Did you have? Were there any other guys like that or a lot of times it was you get it from Andrew. Sometimes old lineman. You know they oh god, they but a lot of times, you know you think that old lineman like they don't really want that right, but you know some of them did. But it wasn't just the photos too. We had a we had an award called Hatred of the Week, which wasn't necessarily the guy who scored it, winning touchdown or made you know, interceptions or whatever. It was a guy who overcame some adversity or did something extra, like more of a you know, great teammate type of one award, and there would be a little comment or a little blurb on you know what it was. He dealt with an injury, or he played like six positions and you know, in the game, or it was ready to go, or had you know, some family situation, and so that would be a decision. There's also like that that big portrait on the wall that there would be the score of the game, the opponent, and then a little a little one liner there. It might follow up something that he talked about during the week. Are you coming up through all those ones? Are you are you? I would well, in the end, in the end he would look at it, but I would like that would be part of Monday, think about, right, what are we gonna do? And you know, give it to him And most of them were like, yeah, that's good. Or sometimes I won't say say this too. That was a press conference, is a team meeting? You know, I would a lot of times give him a thoughts on things to say to the team. You know, something was handled well. Or here's something we talked about last week, and maybe you didn't really remember exactly what it was, but here are the three things we said. All right. Here they were we talked about this, it happened, talk about this didn't happen. You know, Wow, how many hours do you think you put in a week?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, I don't know. You know, early in my career I was, uh, I was kind of paranoid about leaving, like you don't want to leave, you don't want to leave. But later on I got you know, I got kids and whatever I would leave, I mean, I don't know. Like, so it's too by the day, like every morning I'm in by whatever six or something like that, go for a run and then whenever that then we go. Mondays leave around eight thirty Tuesdays leave around eight thirty nine. Wednesdays, eight thirty Thursdays somewhere in there, and then Friday Friday. It's like five or so so total a of them. Whatever that is, I don't know. It's a lot of hours hours. Tell you what, though, there wasn't a day, not one day twenty four years driving up to that place was and I thought, no, I don't want to be here today. That never happened, Jesus. I used to think that everything after we doubt that. After weeked, I doubt that, well after week eight. It hurts. I'm sitting there. What the fuck am I thinking about? You're still the first guy in somehow.
Speaker 1: So Scarnakio was. I tried to beat the rookie my rookie year. I beat him once. He was like three forty five. I just wanted to see if I could beat Scarnakia.
Speaker 2: He was probably got it in at three forty didn't he get in like four or something. He's probably stick that day.
Speaker 1: Bears, What was your most obscure task?
Speaker 2: The most obscure task? I mean, Bill had some needs on a road now, like he wants his office. Like it's not like on the road, like we don't just go to a hotel. I think some teams, like they go on the road, they show up, they might meet, they might not. They go out to dinner, go to bed, get up and go play. It's not like that at the Patriot. No, you know, you get there and then we're like scrambling at the hotel to recreate our offices at Gillette Stadium, especially if it's not a one night stay, for the two nights stay or a week long stay. Like you're in your office, like you have the ball you have a ballroom where it's chopped up, and then there are different spots in the hotel that you turn into an office. So Bill's office has got to be like it's got to be detailed, obviously, the work space, the screen, the treadmill, the place to hang closed, the iced tea. The So Bill's not a coffee Guy's a nice tea guy. Right, Bill's not a coffee guy at all, thinks iced tea? Yeah sweet, it's unsweetened lemon. You know.
Speaker 5: So you're telling me Bill is not just sitting in the corner at the little desk with the with the Bible and the little pad like doing his work there. Not at all.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you might not even get to that you might even get to that room until you know, four hours after we arrive, you know, after going meeting with the media, work meeting with the staff, meet with the coaches, and meet with the scouts after that, and then and then eventually get to the room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like people don't like we'd all have like a two hour like hour break before meetings started or treatment started. When you get to the the hotel of the away game and you know, we'd have some time downtime where we can go change, get out of the suit because you had to wear a suit during travel. Bill had be in that goddamn suit until about ten thirty at night. Oh boy, lose tige and all.
Speaker 2: You know, his feet had to hurt. Man. You know what's it? Didn't you guys use to have weight challenges we did. That was pretty good. That was at the Jets. That was that started at the Jets at least. Yeah, everybody had had a goal. This was serious too. There was the contracts involved. There were there were sabotage. There, there was sabotage. There would be like and Bill did this, uh he would put it was like maybe six or seven of us, like you know, trying to lose different amounts away Like I wasn't trying to lose that much, but whatever, but I was in it. But he would put he would put like a slice of pizza in someone's desk drawer or some cookies in there. The you know when the weigh ins are about to come up, and there were penalties about it if you try to tamper with a scale, which that happened. This was prey Dope, pre dayball. This was this was Mike, Mike Tannemoum, Scott Pioli, Charlie Weiss, Eric Mannging, and Charlie Weiss. Actually he had he had like a serious I don't know if actually how serious a condition was. He had like a really uncontrollable like nosebleed one day like right before away in and like they wouldn't let him out of the beat, like they would have let him out man, Contracts and contract right, it turned into a big deal like Tagli But it works, man, it worked, Yeah, yeah, it worked. Man. Everyone made their weights. So I mean, well, not not very healthy, but healthy competition.
Speaker 1: Can you take us through a game day? What do you what's your what's your process? What do you think? What are you doing on game day. Are you going there to the facility to check the game clocks and report to Bill like eight the wins this? Or are you just straight getting the team right and what are you doing on the game day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it varies different things, Like I've I would always I would be the one to submit the inactive form, you know, like the players, and you know a lot of weeks there's like so there's six or seven depending on what it is now, but six or seven players who are on the active roster who are not active for the game. So that's that's to get submitted to the league. And there's some other information you got to put on there too, But the inactive form is important and a lot of times it comes down the last second, like is this guy healthy enough to play? Is he not? He's going through a workout, and it could go up to like ten minutes left. I remember, hey, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Do you remember do you remember the when I had a broken when I broke my arm and it was my rookie year and I was like, I got a surgery and I was like maybe fourteen days out of surgery, and I'm leaving on Friday to go to my house because I just started practicing in that second week, and as I'm leaving Bars was the guy that would stop you. Hey, coach wants to talk to you. What do you mean coach wanst talk to me. Yeah, but my going you might have to go get your suit, remember that. Yeah, I had to go get my suit.
Speaker 2: You know, he goes.
Speaker 1: I think Bill wants you to travel because it'll be good for uh, you know, uh just matchup looks. People will just to see you travel. I'm like, all right, cool, awesome, all right, I'll go get my suit travel. And then I did the game day workout. Yeah, and on game day, I'm sitting there the night before, me and Slate actually we shared a room on the road early in our career. I'm sitting there like, I don't know if I could do this, Slate, I don't know I could do this. This is fucking terrible. Sunday night football. Was it Sunday night and Monday night?
Speaker 2: I think it was a Sunday Sunday night, Yeah, Sunday.
Speaker 1: So I go, I go to bed terrified. Wake up the next morning. I wake up Slate, I'm like, it Sunday night football.
Speaker 5: I'm going I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: So I do my workout. I mean I haven't. I just broke my arm and I'm doing workout before the thing. I'm like, yeah, Coach, I think it's gonna be all right. He's like, all right, puts me in first touchdown. You were the first one to let me know.
Speaker 2: There you go. See, I got I got more fun facts for you Sunday, say too, we'll get to what do you got. I got a fun facts for you, which that relates to game day. So you asked, you know, one of the things I do, I talk about access, right, Like, so every every team has people that work with NFL Films, right and and NFL Films is has the right to mike players up right, got some good ones here, don't we. So you know that goes through Stacey James. It goes through me, like who are going to make up? Here's who we want who? You know, team has a little bit of influence on who it can be and maybe we should stay away. Some guys don't like to be miked. And then afterward, you know, is a process of whatever whatever they put out there, whatever footage they have. Well, in the history of the National Football League, someone has the most postseason miked up games the most postseason miked up games in the history of the National Football League. Tom Brady, my homes Kelsey, I'm into this stuff and I happened to be involved eleven for number eleven? What about that? Good guess this guy right here, let's go whose house? I'm sitting in more postseason wires than anyone else in the history of the National Football How about that?
Speaker 5: Hell? Yes?
Speaker 2: Now? Why a good question? Well, you know, like I said, there's a process. We were undefeated for a while. We were until the last one. We were you know, there's something that we're overly superstitious. But you know, it's going pretty good there for a while. Did it performed a lot of great plays in there, game winning plays, you know, entertainment value. They wouldn't they wouldn't keep asking unless it was good, you know, good material, some good material on there. So he kept asking. We kept saying, Yes, that's awesome.
Speaker 5: There's incredible quotes doing there.
Speaker 2: I appreciate incredible. Now, Bears, you had to sift through all the footage. I love you Bill, I love you Bill on there on the stage. Yeah, you're too old. There's a couple of them. I do love Bill, I got it. I caught it.
Speaker 4: We're huge fans of NFL films here. What is the process like after the fact? So are you reviewing the footage? They send it all the miked up? How does that?
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a is a great trust with those guys, like they're not out to ever make anyone look bad. So pretty much what they what they want is what it is there. But there are times like, eh, there's something going on that maybe you don't know about that, maybe we would rather not having there, so they'll, you know, they'll generally work with some. I mean, I don't know if you've ever and all those eleven wires, it's a lot of a lot of footage. Ever been anything? Has ever been anything that you like? Maybe there are some I don't know, but nothing nothing that we thought was so egregious that we've demanded nothing that was public.
Speaker 1: But I remember one of the super Bowl parties, okay, remember we had they had like the there's a PG version and then there's like a rated R version. Okay, remember one of the super Bowl parties we had like the rated R ship of Yeah, that was there's some stuff there that I was like, I wouldn't have gone well if it.
Speaker 2: Went public, Well it didn't. So yeah, so see another way, we're connected. We are connected, man, connected.
Speaker 1: Now, what's the biggest misconception of Bill Belichick?
Speaker 2: Well, seeh I butter you up, Butter you up. Eventually we're going to get to the sign on the door. You know, Yeah, speak your job, speak for yourself, Speak for yourself. That's on the way out. You know. Can you my last day there, when I left, my last day there, I saw I saw on the door. Speak for yourself. I'm gonna remember that today for the rest of this conversation. But anyway, nor the noise, the hype, manage the expectations. Speak for yourself. That's on the way out. What's on the way in. Do your job, work hard, be attentive, and put the team first. Put the team first. I mean, come on, man, this is this is the way of life. Man. This isn't like mottos and slogans. It's not. So what's the misconception of building? How many times he said uh F and Foxborough Hi? I mean I was in every meeting for twenty years. For twenty years, maybe he said it every day on the field or in privately. I wasn't there, so I didn't hear it. Like the amount of times I hear, you know, I could get someone from Foxboro. He didn't say it that many times. He did not say it that many times.
Speaker 1: It makes it be twice a year if it happened to maybe maybe twice a year.
Speaker 2: Okay, you out of one hundred meetings.
Speaker 1: Some guy making eight, ten, fifteen million dollars sitting there watching film and he hears that, he's gonna remember that.
Speaker 2: So it may have only been twice a year.
Speaker 1: But if you were on the team for six years, Okay, you know, I'm not a math guy, but that's twelve times.
Speaker 2: But not all directed at you.
Speaker 1: No, but you hear Foxborough High, it's because it's gonna stick out because they can't execute a snap.
Speaker 2: It wasn't because you know, you know, couldn't make a play in triple coverage. He couldn't you do a snap or two yard past. So that's the biggest misconception, is Foxborough High. That's the biggest misconception. But that's a everyone here, guys. Foxborough High never happened because no, no, no, no, I didn't say never. It's not as much as people think I don't know what else about Bill. He's funny. I mean, I think that's starting to come out. A very funny guy sometimes like he's not trying and you you know, you try to suppress the laughter, but he can be very funny. Well.
Speaker 1: His his way of getting at you is through like statistics and numbers, like and his knowledge of the game.
Speaker 2: He'll sit there.
Speaker 1: And he'll prove a point by bringing back an all time great that he coached, and he'll give out the actual number of snaps, the number of plays that you've done, and you know.
Speaker 2: This is what this? Did you know?
Speaker 1: That's his way of getting But it's kind of like you're sitting there like that's kind of funny.
Speaker 2: Another one i'd say, you know, and not that he doesn't get after players. He gets after players and staph. For sure, there's you know, there's yelling, but it's not like it's not all the time in your face. To me, it's not that you're trying to avoid that. You're trying to avoid the like the most slight expression like you screwed something up and you're gonna get like that's all. Did you see that? I don't if you even noticed that. I saw that one. You know, it's not like it's not in your face, like that's a parcels fear like that could happen. But with Bill's more of those types of things that you're trying to avoid.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like disappointing your father.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't want to disappoint the guy.
Speaker 1: He was like, he didn't have to say anything. Is or the way he hit the Remember he hit the podium so hard. He hit that podium hard because I was right there. Yeah, I was, guy's got some cowbos hands. You guys, did you watch the roast?
Speaker 2: Was that the roast? Yeah? This is a yeah, I was, I was there. That was that was something else that the whole thing. Man, I went with Billy out we had we were actually out there. We were out there because there was some Boston College alumni events we were out there for, which is awesome, and it just so happened to coincide. So we went the whole thing. Just walking into the forum starting with that, like that's pretty cool, just knowing the history and all the stars and everything, the photos on the walls and stuff, and then you go in and it's like this you know high and you know extravagant event and then like, okay, this is nice. Lots of people around and here we go, lots of laughs.
Speaker 1: It feel weird going to the Patriot roast, the Tom Brady roast, whatever the roast was with Billy O as a BC guy. Uh well, you guys, you guys were both in it, so you guys felt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we're close enough to it. I didn't. I didn't. I felt, you know, more inside than outside on that just because all the people and yeah, you know, but a lot of laughs and a lot of moments like I did that, like several times, there's as our table. I don't know how this came about, as me Billy, Michael Crabtree and Charles Woodson and one of their guys like, that's our table. And then at the next table, Kim Kardashian and her crew. You probably know that. You probably know right next to come on, right, it's army and let's see army. And right there.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 2: I was going to after, but she went the other way. Whatever. I mean, well, who knows. Next time? Next time I went and saw Andrew Schultz instead. He was nicky Lazer, was very funny, really good. No, there's like professional athletes. You know, people think I could do that. I did that in high school. I could you know, I could have done that. These comedians and you can't do that. You're not a profession you can't do that.
Speaker 1: These comedians like they there, that's their that's their environment, that's the mojo.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But after seeing Bill for all these years and knowing Bill for all these years, how do you think Bill did up there?
Speaker 2: Right? I mean I was happy that people got to see that. Oh yeah, because we see that and we know that, and I mean I was happy he got out basically alive. You know, he took some shots, he took some shots, but you know, it was like arapeutic.
Speaker 1: It was like a big therapy session.
Speaker 2: I was just wondering, like I was wondering as like, hopefully this stuff isn't going to carry over, like that was what happened at the roast. Days at the roast, and now we move on, like or is the bar changed as the standard changed? Oh what do you think? Twenty twenty four?
Speaker 1: It's fucking there is no bar, no bar, no bar, bears, I like bars.
Speaker 4: Before we move on from the roast, you just mentioned earlier that some of Belichick's humor was in like stats. He gave Amandola one at the roast.
Speaker 2: That was good. Well, you know a little back and forth there, there is, there's some back and forth so which maybe goes back to something that you know about. I don't know, you just sit back and forth, back and forth.
Speaker 1: So when when someone goes and says something about Bill, who's the person that brings the information to Bill that someone said something about Bill?
Speaker 2: Listen, I'm not I don't know what happens outside of me. Sometimes it's me sometimes probably other people sometimes, like you know, I keep them informed even now I might shoot him an email, but I just you know, you know, it's ingrained in me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta kiss the rings as a godfather.
Speaker 2: It's a relationship.
Speaker 1: Now, well segue to you dipped into it being it's a way of life, a patriot. It's a way of life. What does the patriot way mean to you? Bear? What is this is a hard big jay journalism?
Speaker 2: I know it's not it's not a term, you know, it's not really a term that was used in the building, right. Yeah. For me, it's like never thinking that you're there, never thinking you're even good enough. You always do more like you could be there however long you want and had a good day, but there's well I could do all these other things, you know, and we'll get to that the next day. Always chasing something I don't. I can't really name any of the real champion, true patriots that cared about credit, you know. No, it was not only just things about like we have to do this, this and this, but it's also like, well, we don't need to do all these other things, you know, like let's focus on what matters, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I always tell everyone that, you know, like what everyone in his ass I go. I don't know, Like it was accountability, dependability. It was almost being afraid to be the guy totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that fucks up. Yeah, because you didn't want to a.
Speaker 1: Let your teammates down, your coaches down, be be embarrassed about it, right because everyone's putting in the effort, you know. And I always tell everyone else. So you know, Bill had a template and he had his rules, and he didn't really necessarily enforce them. It was the leaders on the team that enforced the laws. So like he was Congress and the leaders were fucking the sheriffs out there.
Speaker 2: We don't make the laws, yeah, we enforce them for them.
Speaker 4: So who would bears be in this in this analogy, I.
Speaker 1: Think bears would probably I don't know government terms very well, but where would you be, Bears?
Speaker 2: I'd probably helped make some laws for him and a team and the lobbyist. Not really, that's not my nature anyway. I make a suggestion and back it up with something. They will always listen to anything you have it backed up with something.
Speaker 1: I tell that to everyone too. Yeah, everyone thinks this whole collaborative narrative. Bill will take information from anyone. But if you give him information it's fucked up information. You're probably gonna be in the god doghouse. You don't want to be in that goddamn doghouse. That dog house is about seventeen miles away.
Speaker 2: I help pass some legislation. I also help enforce it, like with support staff, because all the things you just said about. Don't want to be the one, don't want to be the weak link, don't want to be the one to say I fucked that up, which everybody says sometimes. Like that applies to the support staff too, because we're all in it together. Like, yeah, it's a massive organization, big billion dollar business. But in the end, everyone's on top of each other all the time. Like it's very close, you know everybody, so you see what they do. There's no hiding. Yeah, especially in a football locker room. Man, you guys can sense things quickly. What do you mean? Like what like, no one who's legit, no one who we can count on.
Speaker 1: Given stories of any guys coming up to you saying, suggesting or seeing one of these scenarios of being in the locker room where guys can just sniff the fear out of someone.
Speaker 2: Right. No, I don't have a specific story on that. I just know that you guys are very in tune to just human nature and and people were also as I say, and you can tell through the sense of humor too, like it comes out you know what. We're in tune too.
Speaker 1: We're in tune to knowing that anytime we posted anything on the internet that we could be getting a call or a knock or a hey, coach will see you, or hey, why don't you come over here?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's true. Now can you take that's true?
Speaker 1: Can you take us through the social media scanning process that we had in the.
Speaker 2: I didn't get on to social media until like recently, the last couple of years. I started Instagram. So I wasn't like, I'm not that I'm not out there like scanning the internet. Yeah I can do that, but I'm like scanning. I'm not scanning Twitter. Other people are well versed in that, so it comes it comes to Bill is. Bill is famous for saying I could just be sitting at my office mining my own business and stuff comes to me. That happened a lot of times with social media stuff too, where it would just come to me because every everyone knows we want to know, so if they see it, it comes. Let me ask you this though, like how many times did you not post something that you wanted to post constantly? Okay?
Speaker 4: My team, yeah, okay, we lived in fear for ten years about that. Can we do this, Let's word this this way, let's do this. You never want to get jewels to get the knock because if he got the knock, we got the knock.
Speaker 2: Okay, and so how did it all turn out? We did? Okay? Could have been better, couldn't. We're always chasing man, So that's what that's what the next chapter is for.
Speaker 4: He was in talking about this, like scanning for social media what players can get do? Was there a level of like earning it too? Because we noticed as jewels kind of got along, the leash got a little bit longer for jewels.
Speaker 2: For Devin, you know.
Speaker 3: For.
Speaker 2: Post a lot. Yeah, he did a post a lot maybe his last year or so, but posted about a lot, right, that's different, man.
Speaker 5: You know you're doing it right.
Speaker 2: Control what you can control. Yeah, some guys did get more leash, but most No, you remember the posts that we because guys were talking about it.
Speaker 1: When I told the story about Bill being in the hot tub?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, did he ever come up to you?
Speaker 3: Did?
Speaker 2: Did he hear this story? Ever?
Speaker 1: Has Bill heard of any of our stories?
Speaker 2: I mean I can't I honestly I can't remember that exact reaction. I'm sure it went something like, what the fuck? Yes, there's no way he absolutely knows that story, right, No question that one didn't slip through. Come on, what are we doing?
Speaker 5: What are we doing?
Speaker 2: There's a fucking rule. We can't go Nuncle Berry in the goddamn hoteb. I don't care if no one's in there. Yeah, I don't disagree.
Speaker 1: How has that changed over time? Though, like has he got? He's clearly got and a little looser.
Speaker 2: Right with the whole. Maybe shouldn't have snapface. You know Bill's you know, I bet you never thought you'd see Bill in the media, right, No, wouldn't it be great if he got on social media at some point snap face just asking is he's signing a deal with Snapchat?
Speaker 4: I don't know he's launch snap face right right, No, No, he's gonna guys, he's gonna own it.
Speaker 1: Check from bears is joining only fans for content, exclusive coaching technique content with his toes dangly now stop it cut that out.
Speaker 4: Serious note by the way, like only fans, it has one part of it, but also other stuff. If just posted, if Bill was not only fans, just posted old game plans of old games, it would blow up everything and be incredible, just purely for the.
Speaker 2: Football junkies, that's the question. But anyway, where were we the threshold of show yeah stuff, No, no, no, no, it was the threshold of him loosening up, which I think he did. Yeah, maybe we shouldn't have.
Speaker 1: Was there one specific time anyone did something super crazy on social that you could specifically remember him Bill, Like what the fuck are we doing?
Speaker 2: Her bears? Can you go get remember? Uh you remember them? Remembers?
Speaker 5: Do I love? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Good great guy, great guy, fun guy, you know, good player. Well one it was off season, of course, because you know most things happened in the off season. He h. He posted him shooting shooting guns in the backyard, like the backyard, not a range or like the backyard, just there's a target there, Like, yeah, that's not what we're looking for. The coin of phrase, like it's not what we're looking for. But he didn't. Only Matt posted that. No, this is like you you said, this is a good idea to go post. Yea one didn't go well that that was a that was a letter in a conduct detrimental.
Speaker 1: Conduct detrimental. You know what conduct detrimental is. That's that's that's more.
Speaker 2: That's the more serious offense. That's a serious offense. So there are different types of categories of discipline. There's being related to a meeting, missing a meeting, losing a playbook, being overweight, and things like that. That's one category, and those have specific finds associated with them that are collectively bargained and they go up year by year. Then there's another category. Another category called conduct detrimental, which there's no set fine amount. It's up to one week's game check, and that could be things like disobeying coaches, you know, being disruptive within the team, firing guns, and posting anything that casts the organization in a negative light, such as that. There's a long list, speeding in the parking lot, speeding in the parking lot. Burning something in a hotel room, I don't care, not a candle, incense, anything, If it burns, leave it.
Speaker 5: The fuck out. And you're a noted candlesman.
Speaker 2: You love your candles, all right, man, you have to have to do that somewhere else, not in your hotel. You can't do it. The conduct detrimental is more serious that then that has to go to the NFL. Has that fine letter, has to go to the NFL, has to go to the players Association, and you.
Speaker 5: Guys determine the find amount.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's up to yeah, so there you know.
Speaker 1: Now, how many times did you have to like talk Bill off the ledge of conduct detrimentally finding Matt light.
Speaker 2: Not that many, I don't think, Matt. See that's smart, dude. A man knows how to take it to the edge. You know, and it's hard to really go after him. I don't know that Matt ever got it.
Speaker 1: Was Bill scared to go at Matt Light because of the pranks that Matt Light would doodle?
Speaker 2: No, no, by scared?
Speaker 1: Did you did you hear the email exchange?
Speaker 2: Oh? I heard? I heard. He still think Matt doesn't believe me. But I didn't have anything to do with that. I really didn't. I remember that, I remember the mouse. I mean, that's pretty good. Pretty good. Got a hundred other ones in the locker room that I'm sure I don't know about.
Speaker 1: Was there any of those on that episode? The Matt Light episode. Everyone you guys got to listen to that were tremendous?
Speaker 2: I heard it.
Speaker 1: Was there run any jokes or pranks that he left out that you remember?
Speaker 2: Well, there's not. With Matt, there's there is one. Drew Drew was He was the godfather of it. I think that's probably where Matt got it from. Is Drew bluedselling. He was legendary for doing stuff quarterbacks. And he's told those stories like filling filling Tom's car up with like the peanuts, right, you know things. I'm not a big practical joke guy. Man, I'm just there to work.
Speaker 1: He's a patriot. There's the patriot way.
Speaker 2: He's just there, proud of a baby to work.
Speaker 5: Come on, whoopy cushions over here, Come on, let's we got work there.
Speaker 2: Grab what's going on in staff meeting?
Speaker 1: When Matt light pulls this ship, it's what is like Scarnakio saying, like during this whole because you're in those No, I.
Speaker 2: Wasn't in a lot. I mean I was in the Saturday night night before the game staff meetings and some off season ones, not the everyday ones when they're talking to practice film and they gain you know, game plans and stuff. They don't need me for those. Man, you gotta all other stuff to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what kind of action will get a not good?
Speaker 2: Not what we're looking for?
Speaker 4: So Matt told the story where the it was about the email thing where he said something or the buzzer, and he said specifically that you said the first thing that walked in was not good. So what kind of thing we'll elicit a not good from you?
Speaker 2: There's a term believes is a term in football and elsewhere it's below the line. You know, if something is below the line, then we just can't have it, you know, jumping off side, jumping off side, like shocking a damn coach at his desk, Like that's just that's below the line.
Speaker 1: Every time to have the balls and the audacity to fucking a sneak into the head coach's office. Let's let's put it. Let's paint the picture. This isn't an office that we all just like, hey, coach, how.
Speaker 2: You doing, coach? We don't do that.
Speaker 1: I went in that office maybe three times, four times in my career. I was there for twelve years, and three of them were like over con track stuff, and after that one was suspended like.
Speaker 2: That covers it. That covers it.
Speaker 1: And so for bat Light to go in there and have a full beanie of breaking an entry and like.
Speaker 2: It was, you know what, I look at it this way. It's a grind. It's you guys. What you guys do is a grind, and like very few people can or would even have the mental toughness to go through it. Everybody's got their way of getting through it, you know what. And that is probably his way it is.
Speaker 1: And I think Bill appreciated guys that did that kind of ship. Not he may not have showed it and he may have yelled, but like he knew how big of a grind it was for us. And it was because the guys like that light and the rich Ornbergers and the guys that brought some light.
Speaker 2: Rabel.
Speaker 1: I wasn't see. I wasn't you got any good Rabel stories?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I'm a well, we'll do that one. I have a great it's probably been told. All right, you know what, there's too there's too much. There's too much.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And you know during rookie skits and other joke times where like we don't need to get into like male you know, sexual conversation, Like it's too much like guys. I don't understand why the guys did use that humor, but the Vrabel thing kind of goes down that pas. But I'm gonna leave that out.
Speaker 1: What was the best rookie skit that you ever remember?
Speaker 2: Uh? Wow, there's so many good ones. I mean, there was a guy going way back to the offensive lineman he did it. He did a pretty good Charlie Wise impersonation, really good. I think it was Dan Stevenson from Notre Dame but probably never played. But he could eat butter, he could eat but no But back to what you're saying about Bill, Like I totally agree, Like he knows that you need more than just like robotic activity all day long. Yeah, but he also knows like who he is and what his his game is and isn't. So if he's not, he's not going to go do that. But if someone else is going to do it, then now we have it. Yeah, it doesn't need to come from him, comes from Light or Rabele or you know, Dan Stevenson. Dan Stevenson, all right, was a rookie Actually, uh no, it wasn't a rookie skip because Bill was in it. It was just it was kind of like just a team building thing that we broke the team up and the coaches and everybody had a role in it, and they enacted they reenacted like a Broadway musical and Bill actually sang in this. I remember O number nine now in front of the team. That was a memorable one. Not a rookie skip, but it was kind of like talent show ish event. So so Bill's got well, what year was this? It's probably around twenty twenty, maybe this is when? When was this the right before I think it's probably right Easter?
Speaker 1: Was this the Jack Easter b thing where instead of doing rookie skits we all had to like.
Speaker 2: Do between things could have been in there. Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 4: Where the where is that footage?
Speaker 2: Well something something's wow.
Speaker 1: Access Oliver's Twists starring Bill Belichick.
Speaker 5: It is Broadway debut.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after this quick break. All right, all right, let's get back. We're gonna talk about New York. Yeah, let's let's go back to nineteen ninety seven, September fourteenth. This is a segment we like to go over pop culture things around the time the game took place.
Speaker 2: Number one movie was The Game?
Speaker 5: You were this movie?
Speaker 2: I remember I didn't see. That's a great movie.
Speaker 5: Great San Francisco movie too.
Speaker 2: Great San Francisco movie.
Speaker 1: Honey by Maria Carrey was number one song. We all remember, huh Julian favorite.
Speaker 5: Yes, I do love the real heads know your love for Mariah Long Island Baby.
Speaker 1: You speaking of music, you used to pick the practice music, din't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am a music I'll say I enjoyed that. It's hard. It's hard to please a football team because you got a lot of There's so many, so many times you could listen to here's where you start. I'll tell you where it actually started. It started with for crowd noise. To simulate crowd noise at practice, we just played this is way before you just noise static, just yeah, like that was our noise. And it was brutal, brutal. So then we went to music and it was probably like, oh, I don't know, maybe O one oh two, and I'm playing I'm playing some hip hop song with you know, regular lyrics, the lyrics and uh not clean, not clean, and and I'd been doing this and then one day un pleasant who was a veteran defensive lineman kind of like I mean, not quite Matt Slater, but along those lines of Matt Slater of the team at that time, and he went to Bill and he said, like, seriously, I do not want to hear some of these words. Of course, build on say anything to me. So play it again, Miller practice. But it comes over what after you playing those songs? You know you can't play the cleanler Okay. So from then on it was all clean lyrics, hip hop, rock, bon Jovi and Springsteen. That's where you start. Yeah, maybe bon Jovi and Springsteen start until you know that gets old ish Bnjovi never gets old. But so then we had it in country whatever.
Speaker 1: Who who is the number one guy to come up to request music?
Speaker 2: You guys?
Speaker 1: Let me pay the picture for you guys. Bears would be out there like like dip lo. He had the man a few big speakers and he had a turntable and you'd see it there with his iPod and ship. We're in the middle of a practice. Yeah, day, a star of day? What is a rainy? Moss's song was always a Friday practice. Every day?
Speaker 2: Star is b It was a jay Z.
Speaker 1: Every time Bears would throw that on, Rady would look at me, go, this is what they played on my birthday?
Speaker 2: The Moss Man. I love them. I love that guy stories. I got some Moss stories. But you know what, who was it? Steve CASCALSI he was. He was adamant about some songs now Christmas specific, Christmas song specific.
Speaker 5: He was, Wait while we're on music, can I butt in here real quick? Bears? I was creeping on your Instagram before this, just to do my due diligence and prep. How the heck was the Dead at the Sphere?
Speaker 2: I was sous best show I've ever seen it. I mean show I've been I mean I've been a dead fan a long time. They love their music. I mean it just for for me all that, it just works. So I saw them here Fenway last year. I thought it was great, and they that was the last tour, that was it. And then here they are residency at the Sphere and I was like, I gotta do it. So just it really no dates work, So I just made the date work. Memorial Day. I was going alone, but then I found a guy came with me and we went and it was just it was incredible. Just it's like an Imax. You've been in an Imax theater, but it's that times one hundred. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 5: It looked incredible.
Speaker 2: And it's mayor, I mean John Mayer's he's the tragician.
Speaker 1: All right, let's jump into the game, Jack, can you set the stage for the New York Football Jets.
Speaker 5: Got to start out with the Jets. This is the first year of the Big Tuna era Big tun which is pretty crazy, and the first year of the Bears era and the first year of the Bears right.
Speaker 2: Well, actually no, I started at the Jets mid season in ninety five. Okay, I was I know it was before I was before this this actual regime came in, which is great for me. It was awesome because to go back one step further, I started at the Knicks as an intern total slap you know, in the ninety four season, okay, and media relations. It was a media relations intern, and it was awesome. Like I'm from New York. Okay, I'm in in the end. I mean, I'm Bostonian now, but in my heart, I'm a New Yorker and New York the New York sports scene is where this all started for me. And when the Knicks are going like they were going pretty good this year, like there's nothing like it in New York City. So I was with the Knicks when they were going pat Riley, Patrick Ewing, all these guys that they show now, John Starr, I mean, I could name the whole team. So anyway, I started then, and I was at the Knicks for a couple of years and that's when Van Gundia, but I wasn't full time. That led to a job at the Jets in media relations because the organizations knew each other. Whatever one thing lent to another. Now I'm at the Jets, but I continued working at the Knicks just on game days, and it was amazing. Like I sat there, like at the door where the celebrities and the media came in and handed out credentials to tickets to like whoever it was, and just like now, like there were some notable people coming through there, media, Spike. Actually Spike, he was a season ticket holder, so he had his tickets, but it was the people that would come just for the game and you know, need their ticket rules, you know, like Stephen A. Smith when he was a writer, a basketball writer at the Philadelphia Choir. You know, like a lot of people that you know, kind of moved up like all of us, you know, they were something else in the mid nineties. So the Knicks is and the Knicks were very corporate, the very corporate organization owned by Viacom and now Cable Vision, and it was an office building in New York City. It was amazing. I took the train in from Long Island every day. And so now I'm at the Jets and it's very different. The Jets were I own by a family, Leon Hess of hess Oil, and it was a family not even a family run organization. Because he wasn't around that much. He was around a couple times a year, so it was really kind of like a mom and pop type of organization. And I'll jump ahead and down. The Patriots are a mix of both run like a business, no question and killing it as a business, but family run thin at the top. So my first two jobs was kind of like both ends of that. The Patriots kind of mixed it all together. But I started the Jets midway through the ninety five season. Team was horrendous. As much good fortune as I've had in football, it didn't start that way. Three and thirteen my first year, one in fifteen the second year. So four and twenty eight is the first two years as this is not what I remember at the Knicks, and then here comes the new regime. Now Bill Parcells from New Jersey, a New York Ey like all the way baseball fan, like New York Giants like baseball fan, Knicks fans. We had a little connection on that won Super Bowls at the Giants, and just a New York guy. So he was like welcomed, beloved in New York. And you could tell right away like this is gonna this is gonna be a totally different deal. Like if there's things are a little loose. Well, we're going opposite, you know, that's just him hard nos tough in your face like no bs guy like Bill Belichick, pat Riley, Bill O'Brien, and so that that was the new kind of vibe around the team, and there were some good players. It's kind of like, I mean, not quite as good, but it's a little like the Patriots when Bill Belichick got there, where there are great players in place, but just you know, hadn't quite gotten to where there were a few years before. Jets had some good players now. To me, like I think about this stuff like the history of rivalry, like I grew up in New York and like the Yankees and the Red Sox in the old days the seventies and the eighties when they're brawling like legit brawls and games Thurman Munks and Carlton Fisk and like Bruins Rangers fighting fans in the stands, like there was some serious rivalries going on. But this this one took it like to a different level because it wasn't as much on the field. It was like the off the field stuff, the off field drama with coaches and front office and players switching teams and the whole New York Boston rivalry and even at that time, and I know this because I was one of them. I grew up in New York, went to school in Boston, College in Boston. There was a lot of that going on in that eighties nineties where there was an influx of young people from New York going to college in Boston. That brought a whole new kind of aspect to it of the rivalry, and then this game was kind of took it to the next level.
Speaker 5: It's it's like I was trying to think of any like how to equate it to a modern sort of rivalry and just can't. Like with the coaching changes of the players, change of the back and forth.
Speaker 2: Like like Andy Reid going to the Raiders it's keep right and they're being messy on his way out with the Chiefs, and then the best player then Mahomes having I mean just a quick little this is one thing with Curtis Martin, he's on the Patriots. It's like that three years or two or three years, you know, good play, very productive player, had some injuries. You know, if there was a there was a contract aspect going on where the Patriots going to sign them where they're not going to sign them. So Parcells love Curtis Martin from his time at the Patriots, so he signs Curtis. He was restricted free agent. He signs him to an offer sheet to come to the Jets. Okay, in this offer sheet, it says that Curtis Martin has to be the highest paid player on a team. I can't do this now, and the Patriots couldn't match that because blood Cell was there and he was you know, the Patriot didn't have an established quarterback. It was Neil O'Donnell, the old from the old regiam Is Glenn Foley Boston College, so they could do that. That is since that's also one of the many rules that have come up probably out of this rivalry as well, is that that poison pill for in the contract that you can't do that anymore. So he went. So Curtis Martin ended up going to the to the Jets, having a Hall of Fame career. Jesus, that's that's just one thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, this game that we're covering is his highest rushing.
Speaker 2: Touchdown, right. I think he had like seven carries on the game winning drive in overtime in this game, like the you know Patriots had a really good team. Let's I'll give you one more. Who's on the sideline in this game for the Patriots. Pete Carroll's the head coach. Turned out to be quite a I mean good higher then and he's you know, National Championship of College super Bowl on the end. So great coach who a few years before head coach of the Jets for one year. They fired him after one year. So Pete Carroll was the head coach of the Jets. Yeah, people don't really talk about that as much in this game, but you know there's another one.
Speaker 4: So I'd love your because I didn't realize that you were in the Jets organization before Parcels came in. What was the vibe, the buzz, what was going on from the Jets perspective when Parcels started the rmblings of potentially joining the Jets while he was under contract with the Patriots.
Speaker 2: From what I recall, it was, if you can get Parcels, you get Parcels. Now, remember the team is four and twenty eight, so if it wasn't Parcels, you know, it could have been somebody else coming in. You know as a new head coach anyway. But if you get Parcels that instant credibility right away and whatever he wants he gets and he was gonna do and you're gonna get better. Team was in the NFC championship game the next year, twelve and four season. But yeah, that game, the Patriots were good, the Jets were not good. So the pressure was all on the Patriots. You gotta win this game. You can't let this guy leave the way he left and come back Week three, National TV, Patriots are two and zero and win like that would have been disastrous. So the Patriots had to win that game and barely did. I mean they were a better team, but took a lot of body blows on the way. It's like Rocky one, Rocky Rocky won, Apollo wins, but a lot was that week of practice and prep. How was that week in New York? In New York it wasn't nearly what it was I think up here, because you like all the information was there like newspaper and you know, the radio like that was it. You could tell like up here it meant everything down there was like the team's just kind of getting started here try and try not to piss him off, I personally, because I was into this stuff, like I wanted to win. I wanted to win it for him because I knew it was a big deal for that. But within the team, I think they could sense it. You know, once theuses are getting pelted, Like the Jets buses didn't get pelted very much at one and fifteen, like one of fifteen, busy get pelted.
Speaker 5: Nine and seven.
Speaker 2: You're getting pelted though ninety seven this year.
Speaker 5: This year, big what a turn I mean, incredible turnaround in one year go to one in fifteen and nine and seven is just.
Speaker 2: Notice, yeah, and right on the edge, like you know, right on the edge of the playoffs.
Speaker 4: So something that kind of gets lost here a little bit because there's a couple of times with coaching intrigue back and forth between the Jets and the Patriots. Is during this time here, coach Belichick was named head coach for like six days, right and coach Parcels was coaching consultant.
Speaker 2: Even that was uh, you know during those times, the policies and the rules like it was a lot different than it is now. There are a lot of loopholes and gray areas, and you know, they were operated in. But even that one was too far and the league stepped in and had to broker a deal. They couldn't just you know, let them be there as a consultant, mister. That the staff started getting built, like Bill Belichick was the head coach and Scott Peoli was hired and Mike Tannebaum and things were kind of like set up. How much Bill Parcells was, you know, involved, I'm not really sure, but back the fact that Scott Peoly was brought in and he was a Bill Belichick guy, means that Bill Belichick was making some decisions. Scott didn't have any connection with Parcels who brought in Charlie he came. That was That's a good question. I don't remember the timing of that because he was on Parcels staff. He was never on Bill's. They were they were friends and they were close. It was probably Parcels.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit of the Patriot's Dynasty brain trust inner circle was developed on this Jets team. Can you speak a little bit to that. You mentioned Peoli, Mangini yourself. Can you just talk about how that kind of happened in New York?
Speaker 2: Right, Well, Scott with Scott Pioli in particular, he goes back to Cleveland for several years with Bill Belichick. So they had already like they had already been involved with building a team team together and Mike Tannebaum came kind of on the tail end of that. So they they already had a working relationship. They had already done it at an organization, and then they took that to the Jets and then add parcels and it and then went from there. So a lot of this actually goes back to Cleveland too, with Bill Belichick and Scott, you know, and Mike and Eric too. He's definitely in part of this.
Speaker 4: And what was your process to kind of because you were with the district before, to kind of get inside.
Speaker 2: So like I said, like I was in media relations, okay, And if you're in media relations and in the department of five year five, you don't have natural crossover with the defensive coordinator assistant head coach Bill Belichick like that that something has to happen. What happened was and it's actually a story that I tell people and my kids about. You never know. So when I was at the Jets in the previous regime, one of my jobs was to work with the radio broadcast crew during the game and right down stats like things that happened. Like they didn't have all these great instantaneous things you'd have to maybe for TV, but not for radio. So I did a lot of things by hand, and I would like give notes to the announcers. One of the announcers, the analyst was Dave Jennings. About the name of Dave Jennings. He's a great guy, passed away way too early. He was a great punter for the New York Giants in the late seventies early eighties. Like Giants weren't very good, he was the at times he was the best player in a team. But he was a Pro Bowl punter. And Bill coached him when he was he coached special teams at the Giants. I don't know this. I don't know Bill Belichick, but Dave was a radio analyst like the Scott Zolac Okay of the Jets, and he was a Giant. And in New York, people are very passionate about their sports, just like Boston, very passionate. But in New York there's most two teams for every sport. So yeah, you got rivalries, you got Yankees Red Sox, but you got it, also got Yankees Mets. You know, there's a lot of tension there. So yeah, absolutely, so the Giants and the Jets like their enemies, and it went up at that time. I don't know what it's like now, but at that time it was a front office thing too. Like the Jet people didn't really like the Giant people. So here's Dave Jennings known as a Giants player, even though he played the Jets a couple of years at the end of his career. But he was a Giant and here but he's a Jet color guy on the radio, and he was blunt. He would tell it like it is. He didn't sugarcoat anything. He would hammer the team. He'd hammer the team when he went on the radio just as a guest. And they didn't like him very much. But what do I know, Like, I'm twenty something years old, I'm there, I'm at practice, I'm talking to them. I like the guy. So he became friends. Well. A few years later, incomes the new regime. Incomes Bill Belichick as part of the new regime. Dave Jennings introduces me to Bill Belichick because their friends from back of the Giants that's kind of where it got started. And you know, I was kind of in that little circle of Bill, Scott Pioli, like Tanne Beum, Eric Mangini and that that was kind of it. So that's how it kind of got started. So the relationships which you know all about do I, Yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Was that, like, yeah, that was were they a close knit group that whole little eventual Patriot coaching staff, Like in the cafeteria where those guys al We's sitting next to each other like talking and was at their rat pack.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it would be yeah, go out, you know, not do that so much anymore, but it would be like, go out somewhere. We went to the Belmont together. It was the end of it was the end of mini camp. It's pretty funny. It's the end of mini camp. Was the last practice and then we get in the car and go to the Belmont, fill up the trunk with some beverages, get there. Bill's drive in. Bill's driving. We pull in and it's a mess, like we don't have passes. We're just kind of driving in and we got stopped there. We're just trying to park and the guy's like, you can't go here, and Bill points over. That's Eric Mangini. Let us in say, nobody doesn't know who says Bill's not funny.
Speaker 4: We also there was a very limited media on you when we're doing some research, but we found an article from two thousand drove up that skip ahead a little bit that when the Patriots or when Bill moved to the Patriots, you guys all drove together from New Jersey to Foxborough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was it was Bill driving me and Eric. That was that was a group that came up. What kind of car by station wagon? I bet it is a Bill station wagon?
Speaker 1: I think that's Bill did have that station wagon that he was driving in that ninety five Brown's footage.
Speaker 2: Was it a station what's.
Speaker 4: The conversation like that, It's like, oh, we want to do this. Is it already in work mode thinking about what to do when you get to New England or is it just like, hey, we should stop at this last deli that's the last New York della.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably there's probably some of that, and it was probably just how the how's this day going to go? With the press conference and you know, just what's happening in the next immediate hours and day. That was two thousand. You know the three people who started the Patriots in two thousand, three people. I mean there's more than three people. But the what in the year two thousand. It was Bill's first year, It's Tom's first year, and my first year. Man, that's a pretty good company.
Speaker 5: Talk about a trio.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, I kid, I kid, Come on, man, Ernie, Ernie came back.
Speaker 2: Ernie did too. Yeah, after killing it out there in the business world. We won't get into that.
Speaker 5: He got We're gonna get stocktcks out him one of these days. Yeah, we were getting the good luck.
Speaker 4: Let's jets real quick. Let's do Pats real quick.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, run through these these Jets real quick. As we said, nine and seven narrowly missed the plays. Huge turnaround from the year before one in fifteen, mo Lewis We all know Lewis the loan pro bowler this season, this was the first winning season for the Jets since eighty eight. So, I mean, Bill Parcells came in and it made that immediate one year, one year, the tuner knew how to turn things around, and.
Speaker 4: We did the same thing with the Patriots. Took him to the Super Bowl like that.
Speaker 5: This was one year. It was one year after Kishawn was drafted number one overall in the ninety six draft.
Speaker 2: Good great guy, good friend of mine. Didn't you work with him? Yeah, he was the first pick in a draft and he came like in ninety six and the first thing he did is come to my office and we just kind of hit it off right away. La guy had some of our Mantian friends.
Speaker 4: Hey, yeah, getting into its in this game too.
Speaker 2: He did had a great touchdown and mo Lewis had a touchdown. They forgotten what lewis patriot moment. He was all, he's doing the interception for a touchdown.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Which he outran Sean Jefferson had the wheels, baby had the wheels.
Speaker 5: And if we were and we're talking this Jets roster, we've mentioned these games. We've mentioned the Neil O'donnald's. We got Adrian Morrell, I mean he carried the ball three hundred times, the Godfather. You took the words right out of my mouth.
Speaker 4: Him Jules have a similar place style. I've been told, Yeah, we're both white.
Speaker 2: More than that. And go look up the photo of you. What are the similarities of our game?
Speaker 5: Get open and catch the ball, simple as that, get open and catch the ball, simple as that.
Speaker 4: Should we roll on the real quick?
Speaker 5: This was the ten and six Patriots seem pretty loaded roster on both sides of the ball. We mentioned it before then. There are even some names that carried over into the Belichick era that you guys would know, the Willie McGinnis, the Tie Laws, the lawyer Malloy's of the world. Scott Zolac was backing up Bledsoe this year. It was the first Troy Brown first year.
Speaker 2: The can of the Jets, love so love soo. You know has a fake I is that the rumor?
Speaker 5: I think? I think there. I don't know exactly he's got a I don't know exactly what you.
Speaker 2: Got to ask him.
Speaker 4: Had an incredible touchdown.
Speaker 1: In this It'd be pretty incredible if he was an NFL quarterback with one eye. Debt per section go ahead.
Speaker 5: This was the first year of the Pete Carroll era, as we mentioned, uh. This was Bledsoe's fifth year in the NFL, so already pretty established in there, played under Parcels all those years and they kind of butted heads a little bit, is that right? Burge a little.
Speaker 2: Parcels Bill and Bledsoe, I think, I mean I wasn't here.
Speaker 5: Oh man, I got.
Speaker 2: I've heard yeah, okay, And he does that with all this the same thing with Phil Simms.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, we've Phil was on here telling the stories. The plane ticket is in the drawer.
Speaker 4: I think, just audience think the big takeaway from this Patriots team is that talking about this Parcels Belichick Jets Patriots kind of back and forth, that this Patriots team the core was really kind of a Parcels left over that became the Belichick pick up for the early part of the dynasty in the Patriots organization.
Speaker 5: And this was to say, yeah, for sure, and two more points we got to hit before we move on. Coming off of lost in Super Bowl thirty one, we lost to the Packers Terry Glenn's second year in the NFL two and lost in the division around of Pittsburgh to another coach with another good name, the chin baby, Bill Cower, Bill Coward.
Speaker 4: We kind of already covered the Parcels exit already, so we can kind of we dig some some research on the compensation for the draft picks back and forth, no one really of note to really mention, so just kind of that the League stepped in. There was some back and forth. Parcels was pretty much out the door before while the Patriots were playing in the Super Bowl. Some intrigues and back and forth. We mentioned the consultation, the consultant, the head coach of Belichick and then led us into this game.
Speaker 2: Our memories coming back up.
Speaker 1: Parcels like, so, what is the first thing, what's that first memory of Coach Parcels after working with him for you know, your five games, and.
Speaker 2: Now this is like my first memory of him period. My interaction with him was maybe like I don't know, it's probably like a couple of months into his time at the Jets, and like, I don't really have anything to do with him. We had a head of media relations and someone else. But I got called up to his office. The coach wants to see you. So okay, I go up there and walk in and he goes. I think he said something about the Knicks because he like, you know, he's always had let's say, that's one of the things about Parcelsy. He has something with everybody, like a little connection to kind of break the ice or have a little personal rapport. So that was that was it with me. But then he said, you see this, and he takes out this laminated piece of paper. The NFL schedule for next season had just come out, so all the games are listed for each week, but on paper. So he had this one sheet and on one side it was week one, Week two, Week three, and then on the top it was all the teams at l ar z c AR all the way down and then in each box and there was a grid of two hundred and fifty six games. Who's playing, who, the time of the game, and where it was in the day, Like if it was not a Sunday, if it was Monday, you put m o wan ivers a Thursday. T So can you do this? Okay, I'll do it and walk out and there's a lot of information. But so and I'm about to leave his office and he goes, hey, just remember this one wrong, all wrong, okay, coach, not like I did do a good job with this, thanks a lot one wrong. All wrong, you know, And that means like center it properly, and you know it's a lot of information. It's not hard, but it's details. So I'm like, I can't f this up. Was he a guy of those a million sayings? Yes, he had a lot. Yes, he had a lot of sayings like, I mean, there's if they don't bite as puppies, they're not going to bite as a dog. Meaning if a rookie isn't tough when you get them, ain't gonna get tough. Can't buy toughness. So I stayed up like all night and they had my mom double checking it.
Speaker 4: You know, did Jewels bite as a puppy?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Absolutely has anyone talked about the playoff game. It's a horrible game. Playoff game in two thousand and nine and his rookie year, Ray Rice.
Speaker 5: It's come up a few times. We've never dedicated to that hit, right that.
Speaker 2: I mean Bill has talked about like numerous times with the team, like the best player on the field.
Speaker 5: In that game for us coming out party.
Speaker 2: We had some good players on the team, but not that day. This was an nine other than him. This is nine Ravens.
Speaker 4: So then what happened between nine and when he really kind of like stuck on, Well.
Speaker 2: He didn't he didn't say that at the time. Later, but he couldn't se Super Bowls later.
Speaker 4: All right, Jack, let's sorry, let's do this game because this was actually sometimes these old games are don't really aren't really interesting. Maybe the storyline or the themes are more interesting than the actual game play itself. This is a great game with an overtime Adam and Terryfield like Jack when he hit us up on.
Speaker 5: Before I get into that, I gotta give my guys some shine back to that nine playoff game against the Ravens. Six catches forty four yards, two touchdowns.
Speaker 2: Let's not forget catch just forty four yards. I would have guessed more than that.
Speaker 1: I had a good turn too, But let's Bill like the I remember Bill put the punk return on the highlights out of our exit.
Speaker 4: That's the one we how involved you with Bill Tube and the cutups.
Speaker 2: That's all the film. I yeah, I didn't watch. I didn't really watch the game film. I watched a lot of TV copies our games and other games, because a lot of times you get better shots, you get good replays, you get officials or announcers saying things that helped make.
Speaker 4: The interview in the staff beforehand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or they just explain what's going on, especially officiating. So we had a lot of those teaching tapes or you know, situations to learn from the weird things that happened once in a while that Bill likes to talk about. So this is a sloppy game.
Speaker 5: This was a while, one intense from the jump, Foxborough Stadium is rocking, rocking. We got the old starter jerseys on, we got the baggy polos, we got the depleted kakis. This was I mean, this is peak nineties football. As you said, sloppy game, A little bit six turnovers, six turnovers, A little bit sloppy, but still exciting. Two block kicks, lead changes or ties seven times. It's back and forth all night. The Patriots get out start early with a crazy sixty three yard kick return, sets up a quick strike to Ben Coates. Pats go up seven to nothing. Neil O'Donnell, not not a known runner, runs one in to tie it up. Then when Patriots knock again come back, Curtis Martin punches one in, go up fourteen to seven in the first quarter. Then the second quarter of the Jets knocking a field goal. We're at fourteen ten at the half. Then in the third mo lewis once again, I mean just killing bloodsoe any chance he gets this time crazy a pick? I'm sorry, sorry, too soon, still too soon? Maybe forty three yard pick six. The Jets are up seventeen to forty.
Speaker 2: Oh Lewis, and it's got tight. It's getting tight.
Speaker 5: The Eras gets sucked out of that building.
Speaker 1: I hear, what do you mean it's getting tighter. The Patriots had to win this game. They had to win this there's no alternative.
Speaker 2: Had to win this game. And it starts going and it actually it's going the other way.
Speaker 5: Now now it's like, oh crap, they got the lead, Like this is one of like expectations for this Jets team. We're still pretty low after one in fifteen season.
Speaker 2: It's almost like it's almost like not even well, we're gonna win, It's just we got embarrassed the guy. We got embarrass it like winning is like, that's that's happening. Like how bad is it going to be?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Like crazy? Back in now the back and forth really starts. Adam Vinitary, mister clutch. This is this is before the snow kicks. This is before all that ties it up. Seventeen seventeen. Patriots get a stop come back love it, Pernales filling in for Ben Coates knocked out. At this point, Ben Coates gets knocked out of the game go up twenty four to seventeen.
Speaker 2: Late then as we only catch them first catch it Yeah, not the ball.
Speaker 5: Not a household name, not no to love it, but not a household name. Then we come back. We alluded to this one earlier. Keishawn Johnson an incredible back of the end zone twenty four yarder from O'Donnell, the one time waiting, the one catch. Oh my god, you loved you drive.
Speaker 4: How much time left was it?
Speaker 5: Twenty we got like twenty nine seconds left in the game. Yeah, twenty four to twenty four? Kickoff?
Speaker 2: Wait then wait, you know what's gonna happen on it? Sinsuing kickoff the fumble.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm sorry, Harry Colors. I'm sorry, brother.
Speaker 2: Let's talk.
Speaker 4: Let's talk through that, because I think that was all.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about.
Speaker 4: How do you remember the Kishon Johnson touchdown or that drive? Do you remember anything?
Speaker 3: First?
Speaker 4: Angel a while ago, but.
Speaker 2: I already won second. Keishawn and I are friends and we were very close to then. And the fact that he made that catch, and that guy is a competitor. Parceles loved him because he blocked, he worked tough, had some personality to him. They really clicked from the beginning, and I was I was happy for him that he made that play. That was I mean, that was I don't know if the game it's tied without that play.
Speaker 5: Were you in the press box for this one?
Speaker 2: I was, Okay, yeah, I was. John notes to Dave Jennings in the radio, guys, because.
Speaker 4: The commentary in the from the broadcast was that Johnson was a little bit kind of where was he in the when we need him the most for the Jets in the fourth quarter. Wasn't a lot of plays they weren't really going to him. So this big play at the end was kind of like, oh, here he is a big moment, big play shows up. Great catch in the corner, ties the game or ties the game, right, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, who's his quarterback exactly? And he's come on, guys, all right, take us through what are the announcers?
Speaker 4: Well, so you remember what happened after that, right with the Can you walk us through that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The scores? Okay, so now there's what thirty something seconds left? Game is going to go to overtime most likely, right right? Right? But no, no, I mean how often does a kickoff return get fumbled? Not very oft not very often at all.
Speaker 1: Buffalo two nine opener, right, remember scared Weather knocked him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do think I do keep them absolutely the same kind of similar situation too. At the end, you need a score, right, well, this was tied, so so now so he fumbles, Jets recover and now the Jets are going to win like somehow because the Patriots have been in control most of the way and there's kind of wacky plays here, and they now the Jets are going to win. Just run it down, line up for a short field goal and this is gonna be a catastrophe in New England. So line up for the field goal. It gets blocked. Rookie giant, rookie John Hall. Right, they came in parcels after that. I don't I don't think he I don't think he showed it. But I think after after Keishawan, you saw him after that, after he scored a touchdown, I think he thought we might steal this game, and it was there to be stolen. So now we go to overtime and you know what happens here, Curtis, Yes, but for that before that, Patriots, Patriots get the ball, okay, move it a little bit. Interception Otis Smith, his future Patriot and Super Bowl contributor. Otis Smith intercepts the ball, who tackles him by the way after he intercepts the past Troy Brown made tackle. He might have had some room to run with Troy tackle them and never gives up on a play San Diego. Troy talked about it yesterday with the balls at midfield. So again another chance, but nothing happens there as sack or penalty or whatever. So now punt it back to New England and then Curtis Martin all the way down, all the way down the Adam Elementary lines up.
Speaker 1: What's the flight home? You guys lose heartbreak overtime. Should have won that game.
Speaker 2: That game for the Jets is just unfortunate because of what it could have been. But it wasn't what it would have been if it were if you were the Patriots and loss. You know, it was disappointed that, you know, you had those games like it. Really it would have been nice. You know, it's unfortunate. Were shame to shame it didn't happen off on the Jets side for parcels and all that and getting the program going. But it was a different level than the side the New England side.
Speaker 1: How are you in the locker room at the end of the game when Parcels is addressing the team.
Speaker 2: No, I wasn't really in there. It's probably about the Monday were you there? Were you in a team meeting? I wasn't really in the team meetings at that at that stage of your career. Yeah. I started that in two thousand.
Speaker 5: On this game, as we just said, Adam Viniterry knocks one home after an incredible drive by led by Curtis Martin in overtime after the Patriots got the ball back sixty two yards and nine plays. Forty two of those yards were just Curtis Martin rushes. Patriots win twenty seven twenty four. Curtis Martin ran the ball forty times, forty carries whatety nine yards? One touchdown, go ahead, guys.
Speaker 4: I pined for this era of football, just like I'm just gonna give it to my back and we're just gonna go down the field. We're gonna punch it in. You're just not gonna do anything about it.
Speaker 2: Oh, sorry to tell you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not thirteen seconds left. Oh we can get two scores here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 5: I like my backs wearing big elbow. You know, I mean one of the best, most exciting Week three games we've ever even mentioned on this show or ever incredible.
Speaker 2: However much it could get ramped up, That's what it was. It was like, I mean different because everyone went, you know, obviously the biggest comeback game, come home game is Tom. You know, came back with Tampa and that was massive. But it was a different vive. It was love for Tom. It was different sort of methods of promotion and hype. You know, this was this was kind of old school.
Speaker 1: This is Oldirio. You hate thetriol can. That's a high syllable.
Speaker 2: Word that me and you do not know what did Bill saying that you impressed? Unimpressed. I'm just trying to follow that lights footsteps here.
Speaker 5: And the storylines continue. After the game New England, we get out to a five and one start, finished ten and six, losing the division round of Pittsburgh. The Jets would beat the Patriots twenty four to nineteen get a little revenge in the Week eight matchup in the Meadowlands. Jets would ultimately finish nine and seven, third in the AFC East and just narrowly missed the playoffs, but it doesn't in there a couple of years down the road. But wait, there's more. Paul Tagliabu is earning his money between this rivalry. I mean, he's got to be sitting at his desk like these guys again, these guys again. A couple of years later, back in ninety nine, Bill Pauls steps down as the head coach of the Jets, and then there's the plan in place for Bill to succeed him, right right then Pete Carroll also fired in New England in ninety nine, so the New England jobs open. Then we infamously get the Bill Belichick spinning one day as head coach of the Jets.
Speaker 2: The napkin before we do that, I don't think it was a napkin, by the one. It was no napkin. Huh, No napkin.
Speaker 5: What was it?
Speaker 2: A piece of paper?
Speaker 5: Okay? Okay?
Speaker 4: And who does he give this to?
Speaker 2: My understanding is he gave it to the team president, Steve Govan.
Speaker 5: This was at the press conference, like this was?
Speaker 2: This was I think the day before okay, maybe the morning off, I can't remember.
Speaker 4: So before we get to the actual resignation in the Patriots, I just watched the Two Bills documentary NFL Films last night, Ken Rogers Shadow n F Films, We Love You.
Speaker 2: I Love You.
Speaker 4: There was a supposedly a fax that came true from the Patriots organization to the Jets organization saying they wanted to interview coach Belichick to potentially be their head coach. There's some intrigue, there's some stuff. Do you have any insight on on what happened there?
Speaker 2: I think it was taken and bald of and throwing out that's what I heard.
Speaker 4: And that led to parcels resigning to kind of trigger like this.
Speaker 2: Doesn't mean that. I think that it was. The intent was this doesn't mean anything because other contractual things are in the works underway, so's invalid. The uh, the processes of requesting permission and all that. Like, it's come a long way, It's come a long way.
Speaker 4: Do you you're interstructle with coach Belichick at this time? Do you have any conversations about this going on? Or is he operating on his own with just all this information and wanting to move some stuff?
Speaker 1: So how does Bill get you to we got a napping gait whatever? This that whatever not an a piece of paper out there? How does Bill ask you to come?
Speaker 2: Hey, Bears, you come with me?
Speaker 1: How'd he ask you?
Speaker 4: Bears?
Speaker 2: You know you've worked really hard. You know you're a New York guy. Like what? I don't think there was ever one like specific conversation on this like Bill got. Bill was interviewed for a job the previous year, the Raiders, and you know how it is like we started, we formed a relationship and you know, we talked about things. Whatever. It wasn't specifically like, all right, I'm getting this job, this is your job, let's go do it. You just kind of get a vibe like you want to kind of feels like we might have a future together. But it wasn't a specific moment in time. Never huh.
Speaker 1: He always keeps you in that gray. He always keeps you that grey. Is that is Jedi mind trick?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I think that's an overrated thing too, about like how calculating he is on every last thing, Because he is calculating on a lot of things when it comes to football, but not every last thing. So many press conferences that he was laid for. He was coming from a meeting where he was locked in on whatever that was, And thirty seconds later he's in a press off. He wasn't just going over like every last thing he was going to say and message to put out there, like he's not that smart. Oh he's smart, and he probably did do that sometimes. But is this a little bit urban legend?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, for sure. I mean he wasn't saying Foxboro High every minute like everyone says, Napkins, this.
Speaker 2: Is see this is bullshit. Three ring no pad?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, like a gentleman Napkins over here? Could he's a number at a bar? Come on, man, we're just spelling rumors. I like, we're debunking over here today MythBusters Games with Names Edition.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 5: But but just to wrap this up and put a neat bow on it, Bears, could you help us since you live through this and you were on the ground, boots on the ground in the building. Kind of the timeline of events of Bill getting hired by the Jets, Parcels, resigning, and then making the jump to New York, like how that played out? Just the card of events?
Speaker 2: So was it, Napkin? And then you guys just got in the station wagon and this was something? These are like ten these are tense times here tense times. I'm not like and again I'm not in the parcels like Jets executive circles all the time. I'm not like meandering in and out of these conversations. Yeah you are. That's a different you know what, different me? That was the That was the old me.
Speaker 4: There was a there was a line in the New York Times where it says, where you position yourself on every press conferences out of sight but with an earshot.
Speaker 2: I tried. I was actually in that press conference. I'll never forget where it was like in the Jets auditorium, was like halfway up on the left side, just watching. Like one thing the media doesn't like, especially like New York media or Boston. They don't like things that take them completely by surprise. They don't really like that, especially if they don't have like they didn't see it coming. They don't have a great explanation. That's that's not like great area.
Speaker 1: It's like a movie like Bill's just going up there and then he announces He's not going like ah, yeah, what's going on?
Speaker 4: He like winks to the camera and then that's the end of the season.
Speaker 2: Flash next season, Patriots like a.
Speaker 4: Smirk like a season succession, season two ending.
Speaker 5: I still remember those Jets Cadillac step in repeats that were always behind the body.
Speaker 2: Right, you know who had the Cadillac deal, Bill Parcells. Oh oh yeah, he drew up. That was his car, Cadillac. I think he drove it, like to Florida. He didn't like to fly. I think he drove it when he went down there and in a winter, you know, like right after the season until whenever he came back.
Speaker 5: He drove thatbile.
Speaker 4: That's such a new New England or Northeastern like New Jersey kind of like going to Florida.
Speaker 5: Move doesn't take lit up the Cadillac.
Speaker 4: We're going to Florida. So to kind of wrap up this thing, maybe the borrowface for you, what's the theme of this Coach Belichick Jets to Patriots transition transfer that happens?
Speaker 2: What is the drama? Drama and that's all we're just trying, we're trying to eliminate distractions. Well, that was the wrong place for you, because that's that's a lot of drama. I mean, that's the that's the Patriot jet theme that the drama. Yeah, just drama never stopped, never stopped. The music never.
Speaker 5: Stopped Dead Reference Baby, and we came on.
Speaker 1: And it never stopped that you know what, you know, it's crazy that little car ride in that station wagon. Little did we know about six seven years later when no little man Genie takes jet job.
Speaker 2: I thought we'd all just be in your car.
Speaker 1: I thought we'd all be in the car just listen to dead Bruce Springsteing Bond Job. And then you know, all of a sudden, man Genie, you know a drama, drama, and that's the theme.
Speaker 2: Yeah drama. I forgot. I don't know what you're talking about. Two blinks for yeah drama.
Speaker 1: Well, could Bill have built the success that the Patriots had with the Jets if he were to be the Jets head coach right now?
Speaker 2: I don't think he could. I think the Jets are just right.
Speaker 4: Let's go sorry to every frim alternate reality coach. Belichick was named head coach for that day, had things worked out and he stayed. Do you think he could have built what was built in New England in that organization, with what was the pieces that were there?
Speaker 2: Well, I know that Bill already knew how build how to build a team. He built one in Cleveland. You can go. There've been documentaries about the nineteen ninety five Cleveland Browns and what that eventually became. So he knew how to build a team. It would be a reach for me to say it would have been six super Bowls and all that, because as you know, and I feel I get the question. You got the question, Bill or Tom whatever, it's everybody, man, It's everybody to everybody. So it helps to have the best at the two most important positions, head coaching, quarterback, Like it helps to have that. I was gonna say three best positions football ops, quarterback, head coach. Yeah, sorry, so being honest, Yeah, if you got everybody else, because that's it didn't just happen, and it takes people. You know. Did he ever talk.
Speaker 1: About what he learned in his time in Cleveland, Belichick like the mistakes, Like on the car right up with you and Manginie. Was he sitting there like, all right, guys, you know, I'm probably not going to do this one. We're not going to do the PB and J Live TV.
Speaker 2: I don't think he mentioned that, but he form of team building and football standpoint, Now, he didn't not with me so much. I'm sure he had those conversations with Scott Pioli and Ernie because those are the guys that really kind of set the tone to building the team. But from my standpoint kind of off the field, it was, yeah, he was too much in the weeds and the details on everything, even things that are important but someone else can handle. Yeah, you know, see the big picture more, which he definitely said that. You know, even though he probably still feels like he's in the wiz and a lot of stuff, but maybe not as much as it was in Cleveland.
Speaker 4: So delegation and like building an organization team that you can trust to handle those kind of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he definitely said that. How do you sum up Parcels Jets era, it was becoming more professional outfit. Yeah, they're good players there when he got there. Yeah, and then he added some more, but it was about running a professional program, which you know what that is is details, it's work. It's like not losing a game, not losing a game, seriously, not losing a practice. Yeah, no question. Every day manters bear shaming guys out of the training room.
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 2: That means that if if you can be out there practicing, then be out there practicing like Rabel would do this like you you didn't see it, but like there'd be like some young guys in the training room, like you get them out of there. You can't make the club in the tub. Fact, you can't make the old club in the tub.
Speaker 4: After we're a bathing suit in the tub.
Speaker 1: Yes we I mean we have gray shorts. Oh my goodness, communal shorts. You don't want to just be sitting in the hot tub and all sudden, I.
Speaker 5: Know, unless your name is Bill Belichick, Unless your name is Bill Belichick. Right, and he left over questions, Jack, I got a bunch, I got a million, but I'll set on one.
Speaker 2: You got to get another plug for BC. We got the whole thing. Billy. Oh, we gotta get Billy O on too.
Speaker 5: You want to get on.
Speaker 2: He talked about you all night.
Speaker 5: I still don't believe. I still don't believe.
Speaker 2: But he wor's Jack, I was next to I want to believe.
Speaker 5: I love Bill Billet. We miss I almost said hey, but we were in like room and it was awkward. Along.
Speaker 2: It's a long coffee break that I just took.
Speaker 5: All right, all right, last one there's it's Bill Belichick has become sort of infamous for the postgame press conferences, the on to Cincinnatis, the all of these these soundbites that have like may taken on lives of their owns. Is it true that, like from Cleveland and over the years, you were sort of the Belichick whisper of how to craft the news conference and to soften some of those edges that may have been there in Cleveland?
Speaker 2: Probably probably some of that, okay, but not all Like, Okay, Bill is Bill, Like we didn't rehearse, Okay.
Speaker 5: I didn't know if there were coaching points on the media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are some coaching points on you know, delivery. Listen Bill's Bill in the end. But I think if you watched the Cleveland version, the new England version probably looks a little different.
Speaker 1: So what's he gonna look like in the next version?
Speaker 2: I don't know, you know, what do you know? I don't know? But what I do know? What do I What do I want? I want to know?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What do you want to know? Let's just do a little let's just do a little control, Let's do a little what ifs. I know we don't have a big in the what if game, but what a hypotheticals.
Speaker 1: What if the Dallas Cowboys go eleven and six South losing the first round, fire the coaching staff bring in Belichick, bringing Josh McDaniels, bringing Scott Pioli, and they have one guy that they're calling, Hey, bears, are you gonna come join us?
Speaker 2: Are you on that?
Speaker 1: Are you are you gonna go on? Are you gonna circle up with the wagon and.
Speaker 2: Go go Eagles? Listen? In January? Okay, look like there was a decent chance he was going to Atlanta, like some legitimate interviews, right, and then he didn't go to Atlanta. Billy O'Brien was the offensive coordinator. Ohiose state? And now is that b Sie? You don't know? It's going to go so crazy?
Speaker 1: Tune Go Eagles, stay tuned, Go Eagles. Oh so oh, this is so if Sirianni goes eleven and six and they fired him after a first round EXO Boston College Eagle.
Speaker 2: Est in College? What's the fight song? We have a fight song. There's a fight song Billy loves to play out of practice. Oh my god, I haven't learned the whole thing yet, so I'm new, just trying to learn. Man, Jack, where did we go, we missed anything.
Speaker 5: We're pretty darn clean this episode. Thankfully. Charlie Wise did indeed get his start in the Parcels regime with the Jets back as a coaching assistant.
Speaker 1: Coaching assistant, So Charlie's office used to have. We used to have an office dedicated to Charlie.
Speaker 2: If people had no idea, people had no idea, people had no idea. It was just referred to as they had no clues. He had never coached before because it was years after he was gone. But it wouldn't go me in Charlie's office. WILLI oh had Charlie's office? He did for a while when I was there.
Speaker 4: Just said he had his own office where he would blast John Mayer out of after our hard practice.
Speaker 1: Can you confirm that I had? I had a couple offices bears.
Speaker 2: Nos, love John Mayor, We love Mayor. We'll be right back after this quick break. All right, let's name the game.
Speaker 1: This is a segment where we score the game, we name the game, and uh, you're the guest, so we're doing the name of the game. We have the Tuna Bowl, we have the Tuna melt Down. Their return of the Tuna Bill mcgeddon or the Spicy tunabl or anything that you can think of. What is the name of this game?
Speaker 2: Week three ninety seven Jets Pats.
Speaker 6: Name of the game bears like the Tuna Bowl tunabyl there it is the tune up Bowl, the Tuna Bowl. Name co which is coming back and playing against his former team. Let's score the game? Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score it?
Speaker 1: Stakes one to ten decimal's okay, bears the stakes of a week three game.
Speaker 2: Steaks because there are lots of different stakes. There's standings, there's I'd say, oh, what's my what's my scoring system? One to ten descinals?
Speaker 1: Okay, decimals one.
Speaker 2: There's some high stakes in this game. High one mean rible. Yeah, I'm going nine nine steaks nice regular.
Speaker 5: Stakes high regular line but means very high.
Speaker 1: And then also the rule changes because of all the contract tamp rings and this and that and can they go?
Speaker 2: Is he the head coach? Is he not the I mean this is a lot of a lot of snakes.
Speaker 4: Star Power Jewels had a six point nine jacket of seven point three. I had a six point nine as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, star Power okay. Hall of Fame coaches everywhere, coaches players, it would be a maximum Hall of Fame players, Curtis Martin, ty Law, Adam to be quarterback, you know, Drew Patriot Hall of Famer, other tons of patrio. I'm going uh, I'm gonna go nine as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jewels, you had a seven point eight jacket, a six point two.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, seven. They're hard graders.
Speaker 4: Whether you just did a game with what twenty two Hall of Famers, super Bowl nine versus Vikings.
Speaker 1: Game, Player of the game, little sloppy six turnovers, but it was for the viewer kind of fun, especially nineties.
Speaker 2: I'll go I'll go lower on that one. Let's go six six.
Speaker 4: Jewels had a seven point seven. Jack had a seven point ninety seven point six.
Speaker 2: And the name of the game the Tuna Bowl. That's a classic classic name because you know, you know it's a good name when there's they actually named, you know, have sequels Tuna two three, like they had other ones. So I'll go, uh, eight and a half on this one, eight and a half. Yeah, he's Jewels with an eighth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, say Jack with an eight point nine and myself with line.
Speaker 1: A seven to seven to one. Where's that stand in our games that puts us okay to.
Speaker 4: Above another Jets Patriots game that can't wait game.
Speaker 1: Can Rich Eisen he wanted, he requested that game, Bears.
Speaker 2: It's a bad game. He's a Jet fan.
Speaker 1: Because of that, I had to tell his sweet beautiful wife that I will not come over for Shabbat dinner because he requested this this dinner.
Speaker 5: We don't forget for this game. We don't forget.
Speaker 4: It's also just behind, only one hundredth of a point behind the Super Bowl twenty one Giants versus Broncos Bears.
Speaker 2: Do we miss anything? I think I think you covered it pretty good.
Speaker 1: Do we cover it pretty good? Or is there something else just sticking in that sponge of a brain you have?
Speaker 2: We plugged. Maybe I'll be back. You never know. You know you're coming back.
Speaker 1: And if you're happy, we got something to plug other than Boston.
Speaker 4: One more thing is we're talking about Boston College. I'm a big Virginia Tech guy. Is the ACC gonna make it? What's happening?
Speaker 2: He'll make it? I mean the a C look sec and and no, it's still football revenue whatever, it's eighty percent or more like Okay, I'm just married. But in terms of revenues and all that. The third behind of like thirty conferences. It's behind a big ten of the a SEC with a longer TV contract. So ACC is not going anywhere. I don't think. I don't. Obviously we will. There's a lot still to be ironed out here, but I think they're on the right Jack, Charlie Breaker, Charlie Baker, Baby, Charlie Baker.
Speaker 4: It's an ECC podcast, I'm gonna say, Charley, Jack disagrees.
Speaker 2: Okay, you see what else?
Speaker 1: A lot of good things going on there, A lot of great things at Boston College.
Speaker 2: Yeah, coming to what else? We got some Armenia updates. We don't want to go there going it'll be it'll be powerful, it would be very powerful. Yeah, there's a lot of a lot of unfortunate things happen over there. A lot of you get that don't get the publicity that other crises get. It's too bad. It is a bigger fish to fry in this world at times. But our meetings are very resilient. But we are recognizing that here on Games with Names. Thank you, we are a right big deal. Bill.
Speaker 1: We love you, Bears love you, and I appreciate you coming on. It's it's been awesome to pick your brain in a different way than I usually do, just walking by your office and drawing a little picture on your your whiteboard or something.
Speaker 2: He did, he did, You know what? My a favorite one. So there's a whiteboard in the hallway for whatever, announcements or whatever, and it's usually like official, thanks, okay, except for except for this guy. I would put other things, like there was a time when everybody was moaning about like publicly media. You know, things are too hard at the Patriots, no one has fun, blah blah blah. One day, what's the message? Winning is fun? Winning is fun.
Speaker 5: Put that on a T shirt.
Speaker 2: Winning is fun makes everything else worth it.
Speaker 1: And then I went away from my four game vacation and I came back. He was still there, and it stayed on that board all year long.
Speaker 2: We went and won a super Bowl. That was fun.
Speaker 1: Parades are fun. Hell yeah, right out here, right out here.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 1: All right, Thanks bro, Appreciate you, bears, love you.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Guys. Talk about a mythical character, old Bear.
Speaker 5: What a guy, What a guy, What a guy. He's one of those guys you only hear about. And he's referencing stories and he's right. We've heard about him a lot in our our Patriots episodes this season. Now putting a face to the name and a name to the Lord's that was awesome. What a treat.
Speaker 1: It was awesome to get him to come in here. And I know he he was pretty excited about this. He always talks. He always like dms me on Instagram and stuff. Like the guy who used to pretty much watch all of Instagram. To have him like actually comment on like something good about our Instagram.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool. I like that or TikTok or whatever it is social, but uh, it was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: And I actually got a chance to go talk to the BC football team, uh and it with Billy O'Brien and Bears there and then talk to their whole football team, and it was It was pretty cool. A bunch of hungry guys and you get to tell them some of the stories and some of the things that helped me along my football career. Anytime you get to do that to a younger group, future generation, it you know, it makes you feel young.
Speaker 2: I didn't get to watch practice, but there's some big guys in there.
Speaker 5: We didn't we didn't have an Applewood situation. Did we No, that was Billy not Applewood situation. I know Billy coach O'Bryant. They're gonna do good. You know, Billy O's a smart football coach. He's passionate and uh, from just seeing the looks in these guys eyes, you can always kind of tell who's who's who's looking at the guy and you know, I've been in a couple of plays all this guy, what do we even hear for?
Speaker 2: You know, they were all pretty dialed and glued, you know, so it was cool to see them.
Speaker 1: It was awesome to campus is beautiful there, it's beautiful campus.
Speaker 4: Excited to see what Bill does.
Speaker 2: Me too, Billy O, Bears, that was That was a fun day.
Speaker 5: I think they're turning us into be BC fans. We got to come back and when they're playing, I'm down.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: He's so sweet.
Speaker 5: Those are two guys. Those guys are guys who want to root for. Granted we're Patriots rummers, but Bears and Billy ore just awesome dudes.
Speaker 2: Awesome dude, awesome guys. I love Billy.
Speaker 1: Oh's a huge part of you know, me being in the league and having the success that I had he I mean he was Him and Chaddie O'Shea were the first people that Bill laid some tape on the desk and said, give me a write up on this kid.
Speaker 2: He reminded me today that it wasn't for being a quarterback. He reminded me, Man.
Speaker 5: It was so cool to get to see Billy O at uh at Brady Night too. He's just he's a fan. He's a great love.
Speaker 4: He like came up to me and was like, I love the show. It's anything okay, No, I was even listening to Baron Davis like he's like trying to say how much of a head he was so like he was like, what am I gonna be on the show? So well, have to find a time. We'll get him to the show.
Speaker 5: Man, I would do anything for BILLYO on the shows. He was so had such kind words to say to us, and it was I was I was tickled to get to hear how how much of a fan he was. And it was really embarrassing you look up to saying he's a fan of us. Yeah, what you say about Bear?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 4: And it was this was a great episode, you know, Yeah, I love that he gave us some stuff, but he didn't give us everything. You know, he still was buttoned up. He told some stories here that you probably wouldn't have got when he was still with the Patriots, but he didn't tell everything.
Speaker 5: I liked that, and then I gotta I got a quick jack correction from this episode. I believe I failed to mention a big part of this game. Hugh Douglas, the Jets best pass rusher, was out this game with a groin injury. So that was a big storyline. Headed Oh I forgot to touch on that. Oh God, thank you Douglas, maybe Division two guy, great pass rusher. I failed to mention that in the lead up, and it's been eating at me ever since.
Speaker 2: Well, we were were happy you got it cleared up.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you. Man. I just I it's some nostalgia for this era of football. Starter polo shirts, pleated khakis, guys coaches with big got a history in this game. It was great. What a great choice by by Bears. That was That was awesome.
Speaker 2: It was awesome. But now let's hit the old hot line.
Speaker 1: And I remember and remember that number is four two four two nine two nine zero.
Speaker 2: Hit the old hot line. Let's see what we got.
Speaker 7: Yo was what's a Buffalo bluer right here? Big seven one six head? Honestly, even though you would player, I gotta.
Speaker 2: Say, I love the podcast, I love the story.
Speaker 7: You gotta talk about a man. If I had one person, I request you have on the who you have Freddy Frad or try to get Freddy fred on their Big twenty two.
Speaker 2: I grew up watching that.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: I feel like you two will be able to talk about all of the nice Bill games, Bill Petriots games that I have back then, yeah, playing out Orchard Park especially.
Speaker 2: He can talk about some one of.
Speaker 7: The Miami games, and then y'all I can probably talk about that too, because Miami in that division two. All right, just keep it up to appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Is this a Bill's Mafia fan calling in?
Speaker 5: I think so we're even converting Bill's Mafia to be games with name SAIDs.
Speaker 2: I like that. I always love the Bill Mafias of the Bill's Mafia.
Speaker 1: And anytime I go anywhere, if I'm at like a sporting event thing, I end up hanging a Buffalo fan is always like hanging heckling me. But honestly, awesome dudes or ladies, you know, I had there's a guy with his wife. We were at something for the win, and like we were sitting next to each other, and I feel like it's either a Boston there's always either non Boston fans that like hang out will have like Bill's Ma Mafia, and there's always like a Philly person.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Randomly I was skiing somewhere or snowboarding somewhere and ended up hanging out.
Speaker 2: With this Philly guy.
Speaker 1: Hated me for the first two seconds, but then opens up like the greatest dude ever, you know. But we gotta get Freddie Fred Is he talking about Fred Jackson?
Speaker 5: I think so. That took me a second.
Speaker 1: Yes, Fred Jackson. I mean he was a really good football player running back.
Speaker 2: He tore us up.
Speaker 1: Remember Bill always giving him great highlights, Like Bill would always give like a twelve thirteen play cut up on the running backs for the Buffalo Bills. How they didn't always get the highest recognition, but they were always just the toughest, toughest guys.
Speaker 4: We gotta do a Bills game where they win. We've done a couple of them with it.
Speaker 1: We definitely gotta get a bit. We gotta give some some wins.
Speaker 5: Man Fred Jackson of co College and see the Rapids. Iowa love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, D three.
Speaker 5: We also got to get Fred Taylor, speaking of Freddy, Fred's on.
Speaker 2: That's where I thought Fred Taylor.
Speaker 5: And then I put the context clues of Buffalo.
Speaker 2: Now we'll we'll have to get him on.
Speaker 5: I'm down.
Speaker 1: We appreciate the call. Blu Ray Buffalo Buffalo Blue Ray.
Speaker 5: Not to be confused with DVD player Buffalo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys, Luk here from California.
Speaker 4: I just want to say, been a very good podcast.
Speaker 2: With these last few episodes, Bangers.
Speaker 5: One game I would like you guys to go over is the Bills versus the Chiefs the Divisional round game in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: That must be the greatest.
Speaker 7: Playoff game I have ever seen.
Speaker 2: What do you guys think?
Speaker 7: Very high game of point, very good back and forth versus the great Josh Allen and the great Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: I think it will be a very good episode to hear on either the Bills side or from the chief side.
Speaker 4: All in all, a very good game appreciated.
Speaker 1: Think again, Luke, you're one hundred percent correct. That's a that's a phenomenal game. That game revolutionized you know a lot of what the league's gone into. That was the game We're thirteen or whatever how many seconds. You know how explosive the league has gotten. And it's because of Patrick Mahomes. Guys like Patrick Mahomes and guys like Josh Allen who just they're never out of it.
Speaker 2: That that that is going to be on the show. We just got to dial out who we're going to put up on there.
Speaker 4: I think this is our one of our most requested games outside of the USC Texas game. I think this is maybe the second most requested.
Speaker 5: Game that game is. It still just baffles me that we had a game that good, that was incredible, incredible.
Speaker 4: I know that, Like I'm like a wet blanket guy. It's my whole thing. I hated this game. I hate that it was just like basketball at the end, like it was just like, oh, who's going to have the balls? Is gonna score? All offense? Defense might not even play, So I know, I'm I know, I'm like the wet blanket annoying guy here. And I'd love to do this game because it's fun to talk about, but I personally don't love this game.
Speaker 5: That's even such a good game we man forget the guys from each side on if we could, if we could somehow that team, it's it's a must do. We gotta do it.
Speaker 1: I would love to hear their perspective of going into those last drives and you know, just what what were the coaches saying?
Speaker 4: Also like the balls on my homes Like thirteen seconds, I was like, yeah, I got this, we got this, we got this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and didn't turn out good for them as we just had went for one. We gotta get it. We gotta get some more wins for the bill.
Speaker 4: That's the bills, like right there, the next one.
Speaker 2: We got the nice tea up Kai.
Speaker 5: Oh sorry I put him in that order, Jack Mercy, I'm just twisting the knife for Buffalo.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, guys, but boys down in Texas actually driving to a rodeo, appreciate you all. The y'all show passing my time in the truck and getting horses ready on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: It's awesome to listen to I.
Speaker 3: Hear everyone just guys throwing. Another option is like having guys like at the NFR, which is the National Finals rodeo on the pod. Got like guys like Cody Ole who he needed, he needed a good run to win the world title. Goes take four, break the world record fastest tied out opening ever that happened. When's the world title? I mean, there's so many stories in the NFR and Rodeo that you could uh that you could come up with names fo so many big times where guys stepped up and did their things. So I think that's another option to go uh and branch out and see more athletes. Man, I appreciate the show, guys, Thank.
Speaker 2: You Texas call.
Speaker 5: I love this.
Speaker 2: We got to get a rodeo.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember once Scott who was it, Scott Eastwood, we were talking about something.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, bro, you got to come out to the PVR. I'm like, what fock's pr is? Clint Eastwood? Sun?
Speaker 1: Yeah, some I guess he's a big rodeo guy. That's the that's the league name PBR.
Speaker 5: I believe Ribbon Yeah or.
Speaker 2: PBR.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He said other stuff I didn't understand, but I couldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, we gotta definitely get it would be so cool to get a rodeo guy in here.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll watch it here and there on like some of the sport networks.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I watched Yellows. I mean on Yellowstone. They show a little they got you know, they're doing a little bit of that.
Speaker 1: Those those guys are nuts, certifiable, real men, tough guys.
Speaker 4: You know, we could go back to our origins where you get like the competitors and we get a guy in a bull.
Speaker 2: Would just sit a bull in here?
Speaker 5: Dude, how how long? How long do you think either you could realistically last on a bull. I'm not no mechanical joint.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, probably not long.
Speaker 4: I'm not getting on it in the first place.
Speaker 5: I'm probably not either. I'm I'm a post.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: You ever heard mutton busting yello?
Speaker 5: Yeah, mutton busting a little eyes on the little uh sheep.
Speaker 4: It's like bull riding for kids, except for they just grab on the sheep and they just see all them.
Speaker 5: They can hang on.
Speaker 4: I can try that, you'd be great.
Speaker 5: I literally just saw who was it?
Speaker 1: Recently? Someone jumped on a bull and like did some creat like bare backed it? It was some dude looked like he was hammered. Did you say that video? Didn't I send it to the group or something.
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't like, I don't know well you don't want, man, come on. I don't know if I remember that one, But did you see the one where the bull got out and was like out by the concession stand bucking dudes like and then they just kept going on with the rodeo. He got loose from the ring and was out by the concessions.
Speaker 1: Now they send a couple of dudes to the hospital when you when you buy a ticket to one of those, I bet you it's in the small print. You get bucked by a bull at the concessions.
Speaker 5: I will not sue. I will get you're good, Yeah, freak out with each goring. I would I would say I would like to go to a rodeo and and maybe steal a little rodeo valor get the belt buckle out o nice bill, twelve gallon hat.
Speaker 2: I would love to go to.
Speaker 1: We gotta we should do like a We should go to a rodeo. You got to experience it before I bring a guy on. Yes, yes, rodeo guy.
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 1: I mean this guy's dropping names. The guy broke a world record. I can't have this guy on without experience, right.
Speaker 2: We gotta see it.
Speaker 5: I've never been to one in person, have you guys.
Speaker 2: I've been to something.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, there used to be a Fourth of July rodeo in Woodside, California. I think I went to that once. There's like a little horse community up up tight. Not like I'm not like, I don't know, but yeah, we gotta.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe take friend of the show, Dola, even Dola, maybe show us around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: I think Dola has like three or four friends that just like are in rodeos.
Speaker 5: Maybe that's yeah, Scott Eastwood, we love you, but maybe the looking or our friend here, dude, we like this guy.
Speaker 1: He's just about to load some horses, listening to Games with Names, listening to Jack Glaze up some horses right now.
Speaker 4: We had a post guest segment at one point that was going to be the coolest horse names for the Kentucky Derby. I think I got cut.
Speaker 5: Oh that was a good one.
Speaker 4: I have to wait till next.
Speaker 5: Oh man, I do like that. I like I like it, like romanticizing this guy's life of like the sun sitting out in Texas and he's loading up the trailer and Games with Names is cranked up on the Big fourd F three point fifty.
Speaker 2: This duly.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 5: That's a cool life.
Speaker 8: And as he goes to press play on the old tape set, he reaches in his back pocket, pulls out a little as we like to call it, God's dirt. That's right to ride it in his lip gets home with this day one listens to games with names in the background.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, boys, this week they got bears are cow boys? Hear that new one? But that says Marilla.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know why. Anytime I drink everyone thinks I'm from Texas?
Speaker 5: Did they really?
Speaker 4: I just got a little pop eye, a little bit of.
Speaker 5: See on the dusty trail, No Francisco area.
Speaker 2: Where are you from, Texas? I hear to the Colm Valley. Yeah, little place where the horses go wild.
Speaker 1: It's a place called Mountain View, right next to Hewlett Packer.
Speaker 4: Last one's tools shown here.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'll be at the live broadcasts and of games with names at the end of August and Boston.
Speaker 1: I have a proposition for you.
Speaker 4: You get the legendary Randy moss on.
Speaker 3: Before then I will come on, say agent, let you punched me in the stage.
Speaker 7: I would love to hear which to thank thanks.
Speaker 1: Rules I don't know if I can get that done, this proposition, this is yeah, dude, I'll let you punch me in the face.
Speaker 5: In front of the entire Wilbur crowd, a sold out Wilbur just committing assault.
Speaker 4: He'll sign a release.
Speaker 5: You think we give him headgear? No headgear.
Speaker 2: I don't want to break my hand. No.
Speaker 4: I think Jack has to punch him.
Speaker 5: Twelve em one or two boxing classes with jewels down in Santa Monica. I could, I could throw a little weight into it.
Speaker 2: I still need a lot more.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I do like the tone of this guy of Sean was very ominous. I'll be at the live show in Boston like it was ominous and a little threatening. I kind of like it. A little joker is.
Speaker 3: What if?
Speaker 5: But what if we don't get Randy anything?
Speaker 2: We didn't really tell them we don't get Randy. I guess it just makes the show worse.
Speaker 4: Our producer Leah was getting buddy buddy with Randy's wife at the celebration.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, for us to get Randy, we have to because he only travels just to do probably the show.
Speaker 2: I think he's on, you know the end. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Other than that, I think Randy literally just fishes all day. So we have to do games with names on like a fishing boat, and I'm talking like lake fishing, so it's gonna be very tight.
Speaker 4: I'm done for that. We'll get practice when we do Bill in Nantucket on a fishing boat?
Speaker 1: Are we doing Bill in Nantucket in the fishing boat?
Speaker 4: And we're gonna try.
Speaker 2: Anywhere.
Speaker 1: Every time I ask Bill, you know, he just keeps on giving me some I'm like, he keeps on asking how much money? Yeah, I go, Bill, this isn't how podcasting works. It's literally like friendy friend.
Speaker 5: All right, Johnny Manziel doing the freaking He's.
Speaker 1: Giving me money signs like john Johnny Manziel, Like, Bill, you think he'd just beat all the all the years that I took those shitty fucking contracts where you bullied me into taking. How about you take that money and just keep it in your head and say, oh, this is what I'm going on to games and names for.
Speaker 5: We offer prove it deals over here.
Speaker 2: How about that? Yeah, we offer proof this is a proven deal.
Speaker 4: Minimum.
Speaker 2: You're getting a league minimum thirteen.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: But I tell Bill all the time, like he's like, are we good now? I'm like when have we ever been bad? And as I'm walking away, I go, Bill, you can't pick your family.
Speaker 2: You can't pick your family. He's just like, oh my god.
Speaker 5: They speaking of Randy. Did you guys get to share an embrace at the at the Brady Night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were. We went pre pre stage.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 1: We were just talking about what we were he was. We were all just talking about like what we would probably get into. I love that we took a picture.
Speaker 5: I almost cried when they gave Randy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. I mean it's deserved.
Speaker 1: It's all time great, not just for the Patriots, for the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, wrap this up, we'll clip this put on social media. Everyone tag Randy Moss. We'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone's gonna tag Randy straight cash straight, tag homieg homie. Well, what a game, what a what an episode? Thanks again to Bears. That's been another episode of Games with Names. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you listen to your podcasts. Comment a game you want us to do and remember, rate and review. Remember to follow Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat. Leave a message on the hotline at four two four two nine one two two nine zero. We'll see you guys next week later. Games and Names is the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.