Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my.
Speaker 2: Ball in a brid egg Friday egg, the dreaded Frida egg Frida egg Frida egg Bride.
Speaker 1: Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off the.
Speaker 2: Meg. How many majors is Rose a gonna win?
Speaker 3: Right in there? Huh?
Speaker 2: I need a number, I need a number.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the predictions and prognostications are out there. Huh.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 4: I think so a lot of talk was about Beverly Hansen and Rose, you know, joining her in that elite company of winning their first professional little debut. Beverly Hanson won three majors and I think one a total of like seventeen times. I'll just put let's put Rose up there with Beverly.
Speaker 2: That's the over under three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'll do. I think.
Speaker 2: I think that's on the lower end of the predictions that might be coming out earlier this week.
Speaker 3: It's definitely lower.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think the combination of the depth of the LPGA tour right now, as well as shorter careers for the women, there are more majors to win majors in quotes there.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think, listen, that's that's a.
Speaker 4: Hell of a career if that's if that's what she goes out and does, so I'll keep I'll try and keep keep the expectations somewhat mild. It feels weird to say three majors is mild, but yeah, yeah, there's a lot out there.
Speaker 2: I kind of had the over under in my mind at four. I'm with you because if you think about the best players in the women's game right now, does anyone have more than two majors at this point?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I mean NB Park obviously is the most recent example of a dominant major championship player.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: But she and I'm not saying that she's done, but she's out for the time being. I believe she's having a baby, yes, and she's in her mid mid getting into her late thirties, so yeah, she had.
Speaker 3: A baby just not too long ago.
Speaker 4: And you know she her first one was eight and that was the end of Monica's career. Yes, Loreno Choa, you know was wrapping it up as well, I do. I mean, yes, there was plenty of talent. You know, what was that you know, that's fifteen years ago or so now, but the talent has just increased substantially with with how good the college game has gotten, which with how much more global the game has gotten. So yeah, I don't I don't know. I mean, she could absolutely prove us wrong, go out there and get you know, nb ankolevel of majors. But I think when it comes to the predicting majors, I'm always going to kind of be on the under because time and time again we see a breakout performance like this and it's like, well, this sky's the limit, but it's like, well, let's, you know, bring back down to earth a little bit.
Speaker 2: The tendency is to go over, way over in these kinds of predictions. But obviously we have a very exciting story unfolding on the LPGA tour right now, and that's what we're talking about today. So you're listening to the frieda Egg Podcast. I'm Garrett Morrison, that's Meg Atkins, and today we're focusing on Roseanng, who just won the Mizuho America's Open in her first start as a professional. She had a historic amateur career. We've talked about that on this podcast. She showed signs of being a truly special talent. And now here she is on the LPGA Tour and in her first week she completely justifies the hype, sends it into overdrive. Absolutely incredible story, and we're gonna devote this basically this entire episode to it. So after Meg and I chat for a bit, we're going to bring on Justin Ray to talk about a few of his favorite Roseng stats, and then we'll speak with Brendan Quinn about Roseng the person. So, Meg, we both watched Rose's final round yesterday. It was a bit of a struggle. The course was playing hard. She didn't make a single birdie all day, yet she still managed to win in a playoff over Jennifer a Cup Show. Was there a moment or two from Roses round yesterday that stood out for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that putt on seventeen, you know she was I think Karen Stupples was like, I'm so nervous for this putt. It's so difficult, the lengthy, lengthy putt that she ends up you know, two putting and gets out of seventeen, goes to eighteen with the one shot lead.
Speaker 3: The recovery shot on twelve. I believe where she.
Speaker 4: You know, just yanked one left and then went over the trees, leans it on the green. She you know, yes she didn't have any birdies, but she never let that big number happen recovery wise, you know, leaning on her short game when she needed to, so that that big number was never never happened for her. And I think you know that she kept it on the rails on a difficult day. And I think another thing that you know, kind of played into the final round was, yes, she was in the final group, but she was with Anna Davis, who she's very familiar with, and a Tia Titikun who wasn't really a factor, you know, never really pushed her. And you know, yes the ti Titikin is a fantastic player, but very friendly.
Speaker 3: I mean, you could.
Speaker 2: This is not like this is not like an intimidating, older experienced major winning golfer that she was paired with. She was paired with a peer.
Speaker 4: And she, you know, the many times that we were waiting for them to play their shots and the cameras were on their group, it was very friendly, chatting, smiling, and so she's in this final group. You know, first first tournament of her pro career and her final group's rooting for her. You know, they showed Anna Davis walking next to her. I think she kind of maybe put her arm around her as they're walking down eighteen, and I think that definitely played into you know, her her bringing it home the playoff certainly, you know, playing with Jennifer Cupschow major winner that you know she handled that with with you know, getting herself in trouble in that sandtrap. That was another shot, you know, looking back at the day, that was incredible, you know, to get it over the lip. I think nobody expected her to get at that close, missing the putt, missing the putt for par on eighteen, and then having very similar up and down on the first playoff hole.
Speaker 3: And really put in it was a little longer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe so, but it was it was you know, she rolled that in and then the the dagger, the finish, the finish, her move on the second playoff hole with that hybrid to six eight feet or so just so impressive. But yeah, I think I think that round it was it was tough conditions, but the friendly group, you know, playing in the final group with two friendly competitors there certainly certainly helped the case. And then yeah, she just did what we've seen her do, shut the door on Cup show on the second hole, and here we are.
Speaker 2: She didn't put particularly well this week, and we may end up talking about that with Justin Ray, but I did notice that she made a couple of really big puts at the right moments, a ten foot or so on seventeen in regulation. And then that putt that you mentioned on the first playoff hole, which she had just missed a version of not ten or fifteen minutes before, and so that was incredibly impressive, and that hybrid on the second playoff hole was absolutely unbelievable. But signature Roseng stuff. This is what she's really good at, that sort of ball striking mode, hitting tough approaches really close. So you watched her at the ann why as did I? What do you think makes her a special player? Like, what's the mixture here? If there's like a recipe for different kinds of golfing greatness that we've seen over the years, what is Roseng's recipe?
Speaker 4: Her steadiness to me is up there. When she does put herself in trouble like we saw on twelve with the recovery shot there. She's has the ability obviously to pull off those shots, but it's more just the consistency and steadiness. It's kind of when you know, Jin Youngko gets in that groove where it's like, you know, the big mistake is not going to happen. Rose has a similar a similar consistency with her ball striking and then the short game, the chipping the around the greens is so steady that if she is out of position, you know, she gets herself, you know, a makeable putt for power or whatever it may be, to kind of keep things, like I said, on the rails and not give up more than Bogie. I think like outside of the game, like going back to Anoa after her second round at Champions Retreat, she was kind of doing her little press conference outside of the clubhouse and whatnot, and she was up by five. Had I'd watched her whole back nine, I believe, and saw her just do things on that course that none of the other players were doing. And the way that you know, she downplayed it so much in that in that interview is like did you not see what just what you just did? And so I think that that and that's you know, we'll probably get into it with Brendan downplaying her her model, Like, for as good as she is at golf, she might be better at downplaying what she does, Like her modesty might be better than her golf game. And I think whether that kind of just mentally keeps her in check and helps her you know, not fight, but like not you know, accept all the expectations and the crazy things that are being said about her, because she has mentally downplayed a lot of what she's done for so long. So I think maybe when we when we talk about what she going to do, you know, how's the rest of the summer this year going to look like, Like, yes, the hype is you know, an overdrive right now, but I think another one of her her weapons outside of her golf game is the mental you know, keeping things in check with her how humble she is and how modest she is to kind of yeah, everybody else may be saying this, but I'm just going to keep on doing what I'm doing and not buy into a lot of that hype.
Speaker 2: We'll see if that attitude remains sustainable as she accomplishes more and more at the top level. Because I think that you're right she genuinely sees herself as I don't know if she sees herself as unexceptional. That's kind of the way that she talks about herself, and I think that that is not just false modesty. I think that's part of who she is, that she doesn't think a lot about how she compares to other people. I thought one of the most insightful parts of Brendan's profile was when he dug into how some great athletes in the past, many great athletes in the past, like Kobe Bryant, for instance, have had an idol that they both love and hate. For Kobe, it was Michael Jordan. Everything that he did from the time he was young was to compare himself to Michael Jordan. Roseng doesn't do that with an Aka Sornstam or Loreno o'choa or inb Park. She genuinely doesn't seem to have that frame of reference. And so that's useful because she's just focused on herself and getting better and there's a very much a humility in that. But I just wonder if that that sort of lack of comparison, that you know, very individual approach to things, not thinking of herself as being extraordinary just somebody who's working really hard, is going to be sustainable if she like wins a couple of majors for instance, Like what's that going to do to her psyche. I don't know that it's going to do anything bad, but it just seems like you can't maintain that attitude forever.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's zero swag in her game. And if she keeps winning, like is it gonna like how do you how do you have the accolades and the accomplishments that she has if she keeps winning, if she if this is the beginning of of the the Hall of Fame career, Like it's it's so when you think of the other you know, major star athletes and other sports like roses, swagger is non existent. Like she she she has the game to have plenty of it, and she you know, like like for example, the hybrid, like you know, that's so she does. But she's got a smile on her face, gives a gives a nice hug when she's finished wrapping.
Speaker 2: Up shot because in the air she was kind of like there's a little bit of doubt. She was sort of like, is that is that all right?
Speaker 3: It's like Yeah, it's good. It's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like she yeah, she'll she has plenty of ways to beat you, but she does them all with a smile on her face and then an aw shuck's attitude after the fact. So yeah, that does not match up with with other superstars.
Speaker 3: We'll see. Yeah, I don't know. I don't know. The two don't which. Like, let's get I want to be you know straight about this. I love that. I like that about her. It's it's very different. It's it's it's.
Speaker 4: Once you hear her and listen to her talk, you realize it's not it's not false. It is how she is. And I think it's it's makes her more unique that she is that way and doesn't have the swagger and the the you know, bravado that many athletes do. But it definitely doesn't match up with her skill level and how good she is at golf.
Speaker 2: A little bit of expectation management here. I have to say this. I am very excited about what Rose is going to do. I saw her play at the end wise I've mentioned a couple of times, and when I was I was blown away by her game, Like she is just such a good ball striker, so consistent, makes so few mistakes out there on the course, and that's just a great formula for being great at any level of golf. But a little bit of perspective here a Taia Titikun, whom she played with on Sunday at the Mizuho, is also twenty years old, is number six in the world, has won twice on the LPGA Tour and four times on the LT. Another great young player on the LPGA Tour is Running Yin, also twenty years old, a little bit older but still twenty. Won the LA Open in April, number twenty three in the world. Yukisaso won the twenty twenty one US Open at the age of eighteen inb Park was nineteen. Sorry I said eighteen. Yukasasa was nineteen. I believe NB was nineteen when she won her first major, also a US Open, of course, won multiple majors in many, many LPGA Tour events as a teenager. So women golfers have traditionally come of age earlier than male golfers, and so the tempting comparisons to PGA Tour accomplishments have to be put in that context. And we have to remember that Roseng has peers on the LPGA Tour who have been professionals for a while and have won events and are high in the Rolex rankings, and so yes, we should be very excited about what Rose is accomplishing, but we also can't be expecting her to win absolutely everything for the rest of time. If she does, that would be great. I'd be more thrilled than anybody, But we have to keep in mind that this level of mastery at her age is not unprecedented.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the most thing from from this from this weekend was the the nineteen fifty one record. I mean, the focus on the age and everything was one thing, but like, yes, there are peers there. We've seen this, We've seen younger we've seen quicker wins, We've seen you know, majors as teenagers. So yeah, the the true outlier was just winning in your professional debut that had it happened in seventy two years. You know, we heard a lot about that. But yeah, the peers are there. I think, you know, talk has already started about Pebble. I'm interested to see how she performs in that major when the stakes are that much higher than they were at Liberty National. If she's plays in the weekend with you know, a Nelly Kordajinjenco, Brooke Henderson, you know, when they're not rooting for her to win because they want that major.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see, we'll see how that goes. Yeah, and if it's a.
Speaker 2: Little windy and course, I mean, the course was tough this weekend. There was some win this weekend, so let's not downplay that. But I did see her struggle at a very complicated course in tough conditions at the anwhile on Saturday at Augusta National, And so yeah, I have I still want to see her prove her abilities at some more complex courses for sure.
Speaker 3: Agreed, agreed.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a quick break and then Justin Ray is going to join us to talk about some fun Rose stats. This episode is brought to you by Mizzen and Maine. I have a long and very fraught relationship with dress shirts. I find them incredibly uncomfortable. I tend to procrastinate on going to the dry cleaners, and I hate how bunched up and weird they end up looking by the end of the day. I think that a lot of people have these issues, and it's why Mizzen and Maine invented the performance fabric dress shirt ten years ago. These shirts are lightweight, very breathable, very comfortable, and they don't wrinkle or bunch up. They just kind of sit nicely on you. You can wear it to work, you can throw it in a suitcase, or you can just keep one by your desk at home so you can throw it on before getting on zoom with someone. I mean, they're just they're not, you know, sort of fragile dress shirts that you have to treat really carefully. You can just kind of live with them. I have a Leeward dress shirt from Mizzen and Maine. It's super comfortable, machine washable, always looks good even if you haven't ironed it. Just really practical good stuff and I wish I had ten more just like it. So for fried Egg listeners, Mizzen and Maine is offering a really nice deal. If you use the code fried egg, you'll get thirty five dollars off any purchase of one hundred and twenty five dollars or more at Mizzen and Maine dot com. That's code Frida Egg. All one word at Mizzenandmaine dot com. All right, we are here with Justin Ray. He is the head of content at twenty first Group. He's also a contributor to the Athletic and you can find his excellent Twitter account at Justin Ray Golf. Justin Thanks for coming on the pod.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thanks for having me, guys. It is a momentous Monday morning after a huge day in golf.
Speaker 2: This is a true victory Monday here. So I asked you to come on and share a few of your favorite Roseang related stats just to kind of contextualize what we're seeing here. So why don't we dig right in. What's your first one that you got?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I'll start with the one that you probably heard four hundred and seventy eight thousand times and that she's the first player to win an LPGA event in her pro debut since nineteen fifty one when Beverly Hansen did it at the Old Eastern Open. That one we started early in the week kind of trying to excavate to try to find the answer to that question. Uh, the tour itself did not know, so I had to go through a bunch of different other resources and try to find that out. But I was determined to. And then when Rose lit it up on Saturday. It was basically like, Okay, this might actually happen. So I was glad to have done all the previous leg work. It all kind of worked out really well, but it was cool. It's always cool coming up with something and trying to contextualize something and no one really had the answer beforehand. So but Beverly Hanson did do it. She had won as an amateur on the LPGA Tour and then the following year turned professional and then her first start she won. And Jennifer Kopcho, who finished runner up yesterday, actually had some good company because Beverly Hanson beat Babees of Harrius by three shots. So some some pretty decent names there to finish runner up to to one legend or one one player from the past, and then one you know potential, you know, generational type talent.
Speaker 2: I like that there's a link between Roseang and Babes of harriis now already didn't take long, did it exactly?
Speaker 4: When you talk justin about like having to dig and go to multiple resources to find this stuff, I was curious, like, you know, as Rose is now starting her LPGA career, we know the stats aren't out there for the women's game like they are for the men's game. Is it How much harder is it for you to pull stuff and put things into context when you know it's not as easily as easily accessible as it is for the men's game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's tough. I mean, it's taken some time over the last several years as I've kind of dug more into the women's game. When the years I was at ESPN and then Golf Channel, I didn't really have the opportunity to cover the women a whole lot. But I've gotten more of an opportunity to and I've I've kind of found myself building the resources myself over time. There's been a lot of digging through old newspaper articles online and kind of establishing things. But I will give the LPGA a ton of credit because over the last i'd say five years or so, they've really amped up their clarity in terms of numbers and statistics and history and they've done a really good job at that. And then the commitment that KPMG made and the LPGA made to the Performance Insights is really big too. We actually a big public rollout of a new website. It's gonna be accessible to fans. It is coming very soon, so I'm happy about that. But yeah, no, it is tougher because there's sorry guys, hopefully can edit that up. It is tougher because there's just not the wealth of resources. Like you said, it just doesn't exist. And I've built a lot of stuff like that for myself over time with the men's game, and I've kind of tried to replicate that a little bit over the last few years for the women. But yeah, it was difficult, but I was glad we were able to come up with an answer.
Speaker 2: All right, hit us with you next one.
Speaker 6: So we all know that she became the first player to win the NCAA Individual Division one title multiple times, first woman to do that, to win it twice. She's also now the first player to win that and an LPGA event in the same season, and she did it in about fourteen days, which is unbelievable. I mean to think that nobody had done it. Stacy Lewis actually won an unofficial event in two thousand and seven, the year she won the D one title at Arkansas. That was an event that was basically short. It was shortened to one round because of weather though, so definitely a whole different ball of axe there. But first player to ever win the NCAA D one title and then win an LPGA event in the same season. On the men's side, it's been done a few times. Matthew Wolfe was the last guy to do it. He won the three of them open the same year he won at Oklahoma State won the D one title, But it's the first time a woman has ever done it.
Speaker 3: Has anybody won multiple, No, So.
Speaker 6: She's already in her own she's off and running. There's gonna be a lot of first side of the feeling, you know, like I would, I would estimate it's a pretty much a certain Nich's gonna be on the Solheim Cup team. But the big question was just was going to be eligible, and she took care of that in her first start. So there's a whole lot of first on the way and she's the first to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, just the fact that she went to college is kind of opening up a lot of these possibilities as well. You know that you didn't turn pro as a as a teenager. Now she's in this transition from college to pro and I'm not sure that we've seen many players who were so ready to turn pro as she is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's it's pretty unprecedent. I think it's a huge day for women's college golf as well, because it just speaks to the level of competition, the level play that they've had, that she was able to, you know, hunt her skills on a stage that maybe hasn't been as readily embraced as you know, you know, female athletes, whether it's golf for tennis, that they tend to turn professional a lot quicker. But I mean you saw here. I mean, you can go to college for two years, you know, compete in the NCAAs and be ready to go, you know, in terms of winning the highest amateur events. So she did AUGUSTA National and then first time she gets to tee it up as a pro, obviously she goes out there and gets the win. All right, next one, Okay, So I thought this was interesting because of the company on the list, But it's very rare for a sponsors invite to win on the LPGA Tour. She's the first to win as a sponsor invitations is Lydia Coe in twenty thirteen, and then before that it was Lydia the previous year, and then before that it was Lexi Thompson. So that's the kind of company she's kept over the last ten plus years. In terms of sponsors. Invites to win on the LPGA Tour does not happen very often, and when it does, they've usually picked the right one, right, They've turned out to be major champions and stars of the game. That's undoubtedly what Rose is at this point.
Speaker 2: So she doesn't need sponsor exemptions anymore. I guess no that she does not.
Speaker 6: I don't know, just think she will for a very long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw some some people kind of working out before the tournament. All right, what does Rose need to do in the next couple of months in order to earn her LPGA Tour card? And I guess this is this is sort of took seventy yeah, yeah, seventy four exactly, all right. Now, we didn't actually come up with an exact number for you to for stats that you would you would come up with, So I don't know what number we're shooting toward. But is there anything else that you have.
Speaker 6: To I got a handful more so looking at what she's done since the beginning of Stanford's fall, season in fall of twenty two. She's played twelve stroke play events, amateur, professional, whatever, twelve stroke play events. She's won ten of them. She finished fifth and twelfth in the other two. What happened when she finished twelfth? What's going on? I mean, totally dropped the ball. She's one hundred and eleven under par. I guess, I guess she's one hundred and eleven under par, and that's ban. Her scoring averages is under sixty nine. So ten for twelve. I'd like to meet the two women who beat her or won those two events in that stretch. But that's some Tiger esque stuff. And look, the ties to Tiger are everywhere right Stanford, the number of victories she tied Tiger in terms of wins at Stanford, getting a win this quick, winning the NCAA individual title, all that different stuff. And that's something that when you look back over the last thirty years or so, the only guy who had put together a run like that is Tiger Woods. So I thought yesterday too, it was a little bit, you know, the way she kind of managed her round and didn't play very aggressive. We always talk about when whenever you talk about Tiger, the hot, the superlative numbers come up, like winning the US opened by fifteen, and you know all the different times he had blots, but before like every one of those wins, there's three or four where he came out with a three shot lead and shot seventy two and one by one. Like think about how he finished the twenty nineteen Masters. He on the eighteenth hole, played it conservatively, laid up, made bogie, and won by a shot. That's kind of what Rose did a lot of the day. Now, she missed that birdie put I think I was sixteen. That was kind of after that really great approach. But think about how she got there. I mean, she was not attacking flags, she was laying back a lot. She knew the situation she was in, and really told me, like, this is a person who was a lot of experience winning golf tournaments, because that's the point, right, it's not necessarily make the most birdies and get to a certain number. She's looking at the leader board, she's reading for context, she knows what shots she has to hit. And I thought that that was kind of really kind of reminiscent of a lot of different sundays we've seen with Tiger in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and it's sort of an argument for this gradual step up process of breaking into professional golf as opposed to going straight to the LPGA Tour, going to college first and winning a bunch there and getting used to winning. You know, there's something to be said for that, because one thing that you cannot say about Rose is that she doesn't know how to win, because she's just she's done it so much that it's habitual at this point for her.
Speaker 6: You've got to think too, and all that experience maybe aided her and making some of those decisions yesterday, whether it was you know, her choices off the tee or different pins to go at. It was a difficult golf course out there yesterday, played to about I think it was well over seven was the scoring average for the field. It was not an easy day out there, and she was able to manage herself around the course and you know, almost didn't get it done, but was able to pull it off in a playoff. And that's that's just kind of what I I was kept thinking about that a lot like this kind of feels like someone who's really experienced in these shoes and can manage her way to a victory when she.
Speaker 2: Does never best stuff all right, anything else, Yeah, I want to get.
Speaker 6: Into the performance specific stuff. This was the thing I was really excited to dig into. So I work closely with the KPMG performance insights week in week out, and it's a little bit of a lag time to get the strokes game, but we got it this morning after it all got processed. She won this tournament despite having negative strokes gain putting. I think that is unbelievably encouraging because as anybody who whether you're a gambler or daily fancy person who just a fan of golf, knows, week to week ball striking is more, it translates more week to week, right putting is a little bit more variant. Rose one with negative strokes gain putting, meaning she didn't rely on making a zillion feet of putts to break away from the pack. Her game was absolutely complete. She led the field and driving accuracy led the field, and strokes came tea to green, second and greens in regulation, second in strokes came around the green. It was all there to the point where she didn't need to make everything inside. That doesn't mean she didn't make some clutch putts as you saw coming down the stretch the ten foot she made I think on seventeen to keep herself in it. You know, she made her fair share of them to save those pars, especially on the front nine yesterday. But yeah, I thought that was really cool that and really promising for a future going forward. She's got more in the bag because she didn't even have a hot putter all week and she was able to get the win in her first strive as bro.
Speaker 2: And so you know, what are the parts of the game right now that are looking extraordinary, Like essentially, how is she winning tournaments?
Speaker 6: She's unbelievably accurate off the tea. I think you could probably tell that because she had some Matsiyamish reactions. There's some shots off the tea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the one handed finish, it's like left center of the fairway.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, oh it's terrible, and it's it's like the right center part of the fairway. Like, so she hit more fairways than anybody in the field, and that stuff to do on the LPGA. They're much more accurate tee than the men are. And then she's got great iron play, approach play. She was where I got eleventh in strokes, skin approach for the week, but tied for second in greens and regulation in the field. She's got every club in the bag in terms of around the green as far as I can tell, a lot of really good wed shots, a lot of good shots around the green. And she, like I said, she didn't have her best putting performance, but she had everything else going. And it's not like she's not a good putter. She can definitely turn it on. And I think that's a pretty scary proposition because if she if she even was maybe fifteenth or twentieth in strokes game punting, she would have won last week by five. Just if she was a little bit above average among the players who made the cut, she would have won by four or five.
Speaker 4: Six guys, the driving accuracy is pretty wild, like you said, Garrett, just considering how accurate the women's game, how accurate they are off the tea. I mean, to lead that in your first tournament is crazy.
Speaker 6: There are weeks where the field will average between seventy and seventy five percent as a field, right, you know, I mean it's crazy, it's it's and and for her to be first in her first you know, tries a pro is pretty staggering.
Speaker 4: We were we were talking earlier about kind of tempering expectations and not like, you know, buying totally into the hype the hype train here. But I was thinking, like, she's got the junior and the AM and we have the open coming up at Pebble Is. And I may have this wrong, but the name Joey and Carner's name comes to mind as someone who's won all three. I don't know if there's somebody anybody else who's done that, but that will be I think. Yeah, when you talk about the next month like Pebble Is just gets amplified even more after after what happened yesterday. So yeah, I'm I'm you know, talking about both sides of my mouth staying let's temper expectations and throw that out there. But yeah, I was just thinking of the the wins in the junior career and now we've got this win on the pro career and quite the stage coming up soon at Pebble Meg.
Speaker 6: I'm really glad that you were able to expand that point because I was able to quickly look up. You're typing, yeah, answer, and yeah, Joey and Carter is the only player to win the girls Junior, the Women's Amateur, and the Women's Open. So yeah, you're spine on.
Speaker 2: So wow, some more thank you. Thank you for stretching out a couple extra sentence answer. Yeah, that's a tweet, Justin right there, all right, Justin. Thank you so much for coming on the podcast. After this break, we'll bring on Justin's colleague at the Athletic Brendan Quinn, to talk about Roseang's background and who she seems to be as a person. Our next partner is Athletic. I take AG one by Athletic Greens Literally every day. I gave AG one a shot because I noticed that my daily habits just weren't the healthiest and I wasn't always getting what I needed nutritionally. So now I take AG one first thing in the morning, right before I take the kids out to the bus stop, and it just gives me an assurance that I've started my day the right way. Plus it gives me a little boost of energy, which is always a good thing. Another great thing about AG one is that they provide travel packs, and these have really come and clutch during the summer golf season because during the summer I travel a lot I'm out on the road, and you know, I don't really even pay attention to what I'm eating and drinking when I'm traveling. It's just there's so many other things going on that I don't focus on what I'm actually putting into my body. And that is not a good thing. Like that's that's not a great way to approach travel. So what I've been doing is bringing these ag one travel packs along with me and taking them first thing in the morning, putting them in a little bit of water and taking that down and it just gets me started off the right way and make sure that that at least I have, you know, something good for me as as part of my day. So if a comprehensive solution is what you need from your supplement routine, then Athletic Greens is giving you a free one year supply of Vitamin D and five free travel packs with your first purchase. Go to Athleticgreens dot com slash the fried egg. That's Athleticgreens dot com, slash the fried egg. Check it out. We are here with Brendan Quinn. He is a senior writer for The Athletic. You can find his golf tweets and occasionally his college basketball tweets at BF Quinn Brendan, thank you so much for joining.
Speaker 5: Us, Thank you for having me. I'm proud to be back on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you are a guest on the show. I often prevail upon you to to come on here and very grateful that you keep coming back. So last week you wrote a profile of Roseng for The Athletic called the World is Ready for Roseng? Is she ready for the world? Do you think she answered that question this week?
Speaker 5: I mean, that was that was unbelievable. It is it's you You imagine how you know, the these kind of athletes that you follow are going to translate what they do into a new setting, whether it's like a player leading one team and joining another team. And it's just like, you know, what's the what's the most storybook version of how this goes? And it's like, I mean to go and win the first event, you know, in the shadow of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty, like you could just see all these corporate sponsors were just like.
Speaker 6: Happy, big party.
Speaker 5: Corporate sponsors who have been on this train for a long time and to get immediate payoff was quite a thing. But just the way that she's handled everything. I've actually wondered if it might be even underappreciated, just what it took to win this week, you know, I mean they finished, Stanford finished NCAA's on May twenty third, and then she's just been going since, like because she's still in school.
Speaker 2: So she's she's like taking finals and sea she's got she's got a.
Speaker 3: Few finals this week.
Speaker 5: Yeah. The last week spoke was the Sunday before the story ran, so it was like the twenty eighth or something, so not this Sunday that she won, but the full week prior. And at that time she was talking about like I've got a test in my Chinese course, and I've got three other quizzes due, and I've got to get ready for finals. I have to move because I have to get out of my the dorm space that she's in, and I have a lab tomorrow or a couple of days or was it a csp seid. I don't even know what the hell that means, but it's something at Stanford, so I assume it's hard. It sounds like she's.
Speaker 2: Taking real classes like that she's not taking the not taking we used to call them in college gut classes where it was just like not a real class, it's pretty easy a and whatever. But it seems like she's taking some classes that are actually kind of hard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I went to one with I went to a computer programming course and it took me ten to fifteen minutes to even realize like what the course was because the guy that the ta just went to the board, just started coding on the chalkboard, and I'm like, there were just these equations. But I'm like, I don't know, is this like a math course? Is this I don't I don't understand what we're talking about. He finally said, like, you know, when you're when your computer programming, blah blah blah. It's like, oh, okay, it's a computer program This says a lot about me, but you know, yes, no, she's definitely in some real, uh Stanford classes. I don't know how many fake courses are at Stanford, but she's she's doing the real deal.
Speaker 2: I think there are probably probably a few out there, you know, but but it seems like she is at least taken some computer science that would be beyond most people's abilities. So you've been working on this profile for a while. You know, there are pieces of your article that take place, you know, not last week. And so you know, aside from the fact that she has an incredible golf game and has had put together an amazing college resume, what made her a compelling subject to write about for you?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think it's always the the idea of the prodigy is really always at the core of it when you hear you know. And I first learned over Rose from Afar like most golf fans, golf people, you know, through the Stanford Peace on no Laying Up and other you know ventures that had that She's gonna continue, and you always see her win, right. You'd see the the USGA tweet out basically three times a year like congratulations to you know, the junior girls water Rosa, and you just see the name and see the name and see the name, and you're just like, who is this person? What is going on?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: So I was just kind of basically curious about it, And then I planned a trip to Arizona kind of the how the Sausage Gets made version of like how the story kind of came to be, And part is I went out to Arizona for a few days to do basketball and golf. So it was the preseason for hoops. So I wanted to go to Arizona and Arizona State. So I sat down with Bobby Hurley at Arizona State one day, and I went down to Tucson and spent some time with Pela Larson, who's a basketball player there. But then it was that it was coincided with a Callaway sh there where they bring in all their big guns. I got, you know, through some people who work with Callaway, got a list of like who is going to be there, right, so it's rom It's all their players, and there was Rose's name, and it's like, you know, maybe this is a long play, you know, and just kind of spend spend a couple of days with her here, start to build a relationship, you know, not to write anything now, but down the line. So yeah, we spent two days in Arizona at the Callaway shoot and then we just spoke a couple times during the year on some Zoom calls and just kind of caught up. And then I planned the trip out to Palo Alto and traveled out there this spring and and that was.
Speaker 2: It well done. Thanks obviously, it came together, came together well, the long play worked out. So and I'm glad that this kind of journalism also is happening. I'm just happy that that people are still traveling to do articles and and things like that. So all credit to the Athletic for for creating a space for this kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it not only takes an out, but it takes an editor, you know, like pitching this to Hugh Kellenberger, my editor, and he had to be like, yeah, okay, you're not going to write anything live off of being at this event, and I'm like, no, it's all for down the line. It's like all right, Like he knows who she is, so yeah, give it a shot. Let's see what happens with it. And yeah, you're you're right, though it does take It's a major financial commitment to do these things. So I'm happy to work where I work.
Speaker 2: Needless to say, where did the decision not to speak with Rosa's parents on the record come from?
Speaker 5: So obviously I asked, and in the fall at the Scottsdale visit, it was not a hard no. At that point it was like, well, maybe you know, that's that's something we could do and because I wasn't sure what the story was going to be then. I wasn't sure if it was going to be the story of her family's journey from China to the United States and getting established in California. She wasn't born yet. Her brother was born in China, she was not. I didn't know. Maybe that's the story, or maybe it's the story of her parent you know, I just didn't know. So at that point it was still relatively open. And then over the course of the year, you know, a couple of conversations and it that kind of just got phased out of the conversation of of that, and it it ended up being the conversation with Bill, her older brother, who she kind of says is a spoken as the generational gap, Like, you know, he kind of understands parents, understands the culture, and also understands her and you know, how she sees herself and things like that.
Speaker 2: So he is significant shoulder, right, He's he's thirty to her twenty, right, and was born in China and has memories from.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was eight when when the family moved over. So yeah, I mean he was a crucial voice, and I mean he wasn't quoted very much, but we talked for you know, an hour and a half or so. And yeah, once I went out there for the visit, it was you know, I think I think the reaction to what happened at Augusta and a lot of people trying to just make interpretations of things and draw their own conclusions. I really think it was a kind of moment of realizing like what it is when things are out of one's control, you know, and and how these things can take on a life of their own. So I think I really think it wasn't a issue of like, oh, no, what will Dad set if he talks to this writer. It's more how will people interpret what he says and will they take it out of context and things like that. There's a little bit of a language barrier too, so you know, do things get you know, I guess lost in translation for lack of a better term, who knows, But yeah, I think it was it was really just more protective of of mom and Dad than anything else. And the other thing was like, when we were going through you know, what do you want people to know about you? You know, I had very kind of just open conversation about that and not not like what do you want me to write? But like what do you want to say about yourself? You know what, Like what do you want your story to be? And I think the big thing was like she she she wanted to talk about her her life and things like that and not have it be she's her parents child, you know, she's her own individual. So like that was you know, through the writing process, like trying to keep that as like a focus of mine ended up kind of being a byproduct of some of those conversations. Was like if the story's about Rose, right, and it's not going to be about me, a guy who's you know, hung out with her a few times trying to interpret what her her upbringing and her parents mean or you know, you know what I mean, Like it's just going to be what she says and I don't need to put my own spin on things. So I think it would have At the same time, I think it would have been a very different story if I spoke to her parents, you know, for you know, and I probably added a lot of context. I wish, I do wish it had happened well.
Speaker 2: Part of what happened at Augusta National what you referred to earlier is that her father became part of the story. Her father was caddying for her, and people on site as well as at home watching on television had some commentary on how he caddied, and as somebody who watched her a great deal, he was an unusual caddie in a lot of ways. And there was a signature moment sort of on the fifteenth hole where he persuaded her to go for the green and she did not want to. She knew it wasn't a good decision and she wasn't committed to the shot and she came up well short in the water. And after the tournament there was a little bit of obfuscation, I would say, not intentional, I don't think on her part, but she said different things about that decision. She did say in the press conference in the Augusta National Press Center that her father had made that decision and that she was against it. But there were different versions of it that came out. But in any case, suffice it to say that her father was a figure during that week, and so it's understandable there would be some sensitivity around that. Would you say, I mean, from her own account of her childhood, would you say that she had a kind of one track upbringing that she was unusually focused on golf to the exclusion of other factors in her childhood. And if that's not your interpretation, then what were some of the insights about her upbringing that you got.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you know, she played many other sports before golf and was pretty damn good, like was naturally really good. I remember once through I think Bill told me about one of her friends when she was like eight or something like that was already a very good junior swimmer, you know, and had parents that were like, our it's going to be a swimmer. And so this kid was in the pool for years and you know, training to be this swimmer or whatever an eight year old or nine year old or something like that. And like Rose, I think like got in the pool with her one day just like beat her, like just she was just a if she's just an athlete, you know, like this is not the the the golfer who asked to like ask him or her to throw a ball and it just looks totally awkward, and you're like, it's amazing that you can tie your shoes, let alone play golf the way you do. Like I think she's a real athlete, and her, from my understanding, her relationship with golf was not like a three year old, here's the club, here's the swing, like you know, the the very stereotypical golf dad version that you would think of, you know, hitting balls into a net as a four year old, and the big plastic clubs and like golf, golf, golf, it I don't know, by vast and it didn't seem like it was that. It was more so she picked up one of her father's clubs and started swinging, and it was kind of like, huh, look at that. And she was left handed, or she is left handed and dad's right handed, and she picked up the right handed club and started swinging right handed. And then they went to that look, you know, a clear dirt field next to the house and started hitting balls and here's this natural golf swing. And you know, there's that portion in the story of Ann Walker, the coach from Stanford, when we were talking to her office, and she just said, you know, I just wonder about that moment all the time of when she first picked up a golf club, and was it the same thing as young Mote starts sitting at a piano and hearing a piece of music and then playing the piece of music when there's just no explanation for why he's able to do that or why her body and her mind were so in tuned to make the golf swing that she made as a child. So now once she was often running, which was really quickly, she won a tournament like three months after she started swinging the club. Yes, it was pretty one track that that at that point. But she's high academic achiever. It was loads of school. And the funny thing is from her own account, like her parents did not drive academics. It was not you know, a report card, report card, blah blah blah. Like she was her own Like she's a perfectionist to the highest degree and shows I think in everything that you see her do and say, there's a reason to why everything's so polished. I think that's her natural makeup. So yeah, I mean, once she was just an obviously elite player. It was golf, and she was pretty siloed, and she went hard, really hard, played hur overpracticed all of these things that she had to learn about, you know what's too much, And she learned the hard way A few.
Speaker 2: Times left handed playing right handed. I have a thing about this. You know who else is naturally left handed and plays right handed? Jordan Spieth, Curtis Strange, Ben Hogan, Johnny Miller, Nick Price, Greg Norman, Henrik Stenson. Phil Nicholson is a natural right hander who plays left handed. So parents, if your child is showing a predilection for one hand over the other, make them swing the golf club from the opposite side of the ball.
Speaker 5: Is now here's something weird about Rose. Not only weird weirdness of a bad word, but here's something odd. I would say so when we were I sat at a range session at Stanford and like, you want to talk about the best of life. Sitting in an adder on deck chair for a Rose Jang range session at Stanford with the Stanford Mountains behind as the backdrop, and just in the adiron deck chair, It's like ninety am, it is terfect. I'm like, what a job, what a scam? This is unbelievable. Oh fantastic. But like like the perfect white noise. I told her she should have a side business where she just records herself hitting irons, like yea, yeah, turn it into like I use white noise when I sleep, right I guess it's like like a waterfall and just I'm like, you know, people all over the country will get that just to sleep too and whatever. But anyway, so she turns around the club and starts swinging left handed. Now she's stretching, you know, she uses it as a as a stretch to hit muscles that you don't hit when you're swinging right handed. So she starts swinging left handed. I'm like, holy shit, that swings even better than than your normal swing. And she's like, yeah, you know, I got wondered, you know what, like what would have happened if I played the other way? And I was like, well, what, you know what, what's your best score? When you I'm surely it would have occurred to you to go see what you should what you could shoot left handed? She's like, you know, I've never even thought of trying.
Speaker 1: And I was like, what.
Speaker 5: Isn't that strange? I feel like anyone else who could.
Speaker 1: Do that.
Speaker 5: Would go see what they could shoot left handed. I don't know, I was I'm still really hung up on that, but I think it says something about her brain that like it just didn't seem like something she should do. I don't know, yeah, fascinating.
Speaker 2: That is kind of how she works. Megan and I talked about this earlier, that she has a sort of useful naivete where she's like, oh, yeah, I didn't even think about it that way. I've just been here focusing on this thing that I do. And that's maybe part of her secret sauce.
Speaker 4: I suppose, yeah, it's It's It's interesting though, because there is the toughness there. There is the you know, hitting a million balls, the the gym sessions, the hard work and everything that's gone into it, and that rarely comes out. Because I said earlier, like it's always this kind of like aw shucks, you know, feeling when she's talking about, you know, just winning her first professional debut. And I wonder, like I wonder if we'll start seeing more of that as she grows and as she becomes you know, you know professional grinding out there week in week out. You know, I wonder if that toughness that she doesn't really let out very often will start to come through a little bit more as she's grinding out there. But it's there, like like you said, Brendan, like like she's pushed too hard, She's learned lessons about pushing too hard. There's there's something underneath there with the toughness because like obviously the killer instinct is there with how much she wins, but it seems like it's under this, you know, like way underneath the modesty and the humbleness that comes out.
Speaker 5: I one of the wins I think that she's most proud of, like because it's funny when you're talking to somebody who's won that much, like what do they actually bring up? Like what are the ones that stick out to them when you just have we're surrounded by trophies. And one that really one of the only torments that like she really dove into talking about, like free independent of me asking anything was the twenty twenty one US Girls Juniors. I think it was at Columbia Country Club and it was when Baillie Davis was like the underdog story and everyone you know, really jumped on the story and it was this awesome scene. Golf Channel was all about it, right it was, and the crowd there I think it was. I think she was basically like a hometown product if I'm remembering this correctly, And the crowd was for Bailey Davis, not for Rose and she thrived on it and she felt it and I think she liked it, and she went out and when they played the championship, I think she shot a sixty four in the morning. Now it's matchplake, but she shot a sixty four in the morning, took a lead into the afternoon, and then I think on the closing hole, with a chance to win, she hit the flagstick from like one forty out, you know, five foot birdie to win it won six'. Four and you, know it was very much the like there will be No cinderella story.
Speaker 3: Today bailey didn't stand a chance for a.
Speaker 2: Thing, yeah you, know so she she LIKED i sing the crowd in other, Words, YEAH i think she.
Speaker 5: Was. YEAH i remember her talking about it and kind of like you could see the competitor there that like enjoyed the chance to play when people weren't just, like, oh you, know Go rose win again and blah blah.
Speaker 2: Blah you, know does she have a narrative for herself about why she's a great. Player is there a story that she tells herself about what makes her special or or kind of you, know. Transcendent that's a great.
Speaker 5: Question, YEAH i think it's what she tells herself is that she's not, special and that all of the other people out there are just as good or, better and that the only thing that she has on them is the willingness to prepare harder and not make. Mistakes that's. IT i really just think that she's and it makes sense when you see her in, person because she is not especially tall or big or strong or, anything you. KNOW i, mean if, anything she might be a little undersized for you, know the highest. Level but it's there's that that great scene that of her sitting and talking to a bunch of junior girls when she told them all, that you, know all the the OTHER, ncaa the best players in THE ncaa are just as good or, better and the best players in THE a j G a were just as, good if not better than. Her and then one of the you, know one of the young, ladies, asked you, know why do you? Win and her response was BECAUSE i make fewer. Mistakes and that's, like that's. It and that was really at the root of her reaction At augusta and her hitting herself in the thigh and being visibly pissed off in the. FAIR i don't think it was she was pissed at her. DAD i think she was pissed at herself for, listening you, know like and she said that to me when we talked about. It SO i really think, that you, know of why trying to crawl into her head and how she views herself and how she views her you, know kind of prodigious abilities or whatever you want to call. Them it's she's not a. Prodigt, YEAH i think that's. It and could that also just be the public version could BE i never, know you know WHAT i, Mean there's there's always going to be those those things where you, know DO i believe what you? Say or DO i believe that you believe what you? Say or those these are the things that kind of get into profile writing when you're when you're dealing with. People but hearing her talk about her own golf swing is is amazing because she just she just says she gets over the ball and she just has this quick scan and it's the shoulder weight feet boom, go and she self corrects her. Swing it seems like at a higher level than anybody else that can do so in real, time you, Know Like Anne walker's like she could write a book about THE gop swing right. Now that would be pretty much better than anything you'll.
Speaker 2: Read she's got a little bit Of Bobby clampet in. Her bobby Clamp at once told me a story about when he was at his best in. College he was able to sort of fix little things in his swing because all the components were so well, aligned and you knew if if one was, off then it would he fixed. It then it would all come together just. Fine one last thing, HERE a major revelation in your article for me is that she plans to stay in college while playing on THE lpga. Tour does that not seem utterly? Delusional?
Speaker 5: Yeah it. DOES i, mean like, you because you have to think if it's it's easy to say, now it's something that's easy to say, now and it's something that a nineteen year old would say with full conviction and then, realize you, know a year, out like this is. MADNESS i just can't do. This it's too. Hard BUT i mean she's really she met it when she said. IT i don't think this is just like a in her mind right. NOW i don't think it's. DELUSION i think it is, conviction if anything, else and it's really WHAT i think is at the root of. It is the best thing that happened To rose is going to, college and it's because she picked up and she lived on her, own six hours from. Home you, know if she had just gone right from high school life to professional life and just go right on the grind of traveling with her father or an agent and just the traveling kind of, grind you, know who knows what would have, Happened and but what would have definitely happened is she would not have been in control at. All AND i think by going to college she learned a lot about herself and about when to say yes to things and when to say no to, things and how to be in control of her own schedule and when to how to be in control of. Everything and then that's why the reason she went for a second year, too like she note need to go to a second year At. Stanford that was, crazy AND i just think she wanted it. More and the big thing that school and staying in school to me is her, Saying i'm keeping this for. Me everyone else can get whatever they want out of all, this but that's for, me and that's Where i'm most comfortable And i'm still going to be with my. Friends does it last for two or three? YEARS i don't. Know but she's planning on having an apartment In Palo alto and training At stanford and going to class At. Stanford AND i mean physically going to class At, stanford not, right not online learning.
Speaker 6: Is not a.
Speaker 2: Thing, yeah that's the part that's kind of. CRAZY i, mean, YEAH i, mean and when you're going To, stanford you can't necessarily half asset like it's got the reputation of being a fairly challenging, school and students who are, THERE i would imagine find it pretty overwhelming just to be a. Student but, that in any, case is her. Plan but it's very insightful what you just. Said college is the best thing that happened to, her because the thing that's really unusual about The rosang story right, now the most unusual, thing arguably is that she went to. College because a lot of players in her position in women's golf would turn pro at sixteen seventeen years.
Speaker 6: Old she did.
Speaker 2: Not she decided to go to college for two years and become one of the great college players of all. Time and so we'll see how that works. OUT i think it will do her a lot of. GOOD i am convinced that that, choice as opposed to turning pro when she was really, young has done her an enormous amount of good.
Speaker 7: TOTALLY i, mean were you gonna say something like, SORRY i just, said and perhaps that will lengthen her career compared to some of the fade outs that we've seen when you do start so young and you jump in with both feet into the professional game as a.
Speaker 5: Teenager so there's This stanford's a very unique. Place there's just an air there of just there's just geniuses all over the, place and you're just like even, athletes you, know you're just one girls campus and you're, like, oh, there's you, know An olympic. Swimmer there's An olympic. FENCER i don't know are they called. Fencers probably there's An olympic. Fencer you, know like it's it's one of those, places you, know there's certain empisa as you walk across when you're just kind of in awe of what's around. You and so part Of ROSE i think, her as much as she is driven to be competitively superior in terms of like preparation and work and work and, work she's also like really driven to be, normal AND i think she wants to be, normal and At stanford she gets to be, normal you, Know like it's just not a big deal that she was the number one amateur golfer in the world while she was. There it just wasn't a big deal there to the point where like during her freshman, year she was like hung out and was hanging out in her like freshman dorm and got to know all these people and they're trading stories and she was like. Delightful she's like it was one of the great moments of like just hanging out with other. Kids and then like a week, later they were hanging out and they decided to like pull up each other's social media or like google each other's, names and one kid was Like, Rose like why do you have A wikipedia? Page what is? This and another kid was, Like, rose this is your number one in the. World like they didn't even. Know they just thought she was Like rose From irvine on The stanford golf. Team they just thought that that was the extent of. It so that was that was pretty.
Speaker 6: Cool thank, You.
Speaker 2: Brendan we'll let you go Here and after this music fades, Out meg AND i will be back with a couple of. Recommendations all, Right, meg we are back for some. Recommendations what would you recommend this?
Speaker 6: Week all?
Speaker 4: Right so THE i know the major calendar has been jam packed, already but we are about to starting with next, week have three majors in the court in four. Weeks so we have three majors over the next, month Essentially, Pebble WOMEN'S pga And WOMEN'S Us OPEN i mean sorry REPEAT Us, OPEN LACC, Pga WOMEN'S pga At Baltisral Women's open At pebble obviously two of THOSE usga. EVENTS i was looking around THE usga YouTube channel a while, back actually wrote about SOMETHING i found on there On CLUB tfe the two thousand and Eight Women's open At Interlock in which was WHERE Nb park one is a teenager And i've dabbled in there, before BUT i forgot just how much they have in there and in the various you, know cutouts and series that they have in the YouTube. Channel so if you're looking to kind of get a little context before you know the USGA's biggest events of the year coming up here in just a few, weeks uh their YouTube, channel you can plan for an hour or two because you can get you'll get sucked in real. Quick props to them for for compiling all of that and having it readily. Available it comes in really handy for us here on the on the content, side to to be able to find that stuff so. Quickly but, YEAH usga YouTube channel is my recommendation as we gear up for some which should be pretty fantastic majors here.
Speaker 2: Soon there is a really good archive. THERE i think it's exactly what THE usga YouTube channel should. Be is just kind of this compendium of great. Stuff SO i certainly second that. Recommendation all. Right so my recommendation has to do with men's, golf which we have not talked about in this. Episode Victor hobland specifically is the memorial. Champion this is the biggest win Of Victor hovelin's, Career i'm fairly. Certain and WHAT i want to recommend is His spotify. Playlists.
Speaker 3: March turn your volume down a little lower than you normally.
Speaker 4: Would before you click play on that. Playlist, Look i'm saving people's ears, Here.
Speaker 2: Garrett if you search For Victor hoveland On, spotify you will find a variety Of nordic metal centric, playlists and he's still keeping these. Up there's a playlist Called metal twenty twenty. Three so this isn't just something that he did while he was At Oklahoma. State he still Curates spotify playlists as multi millionaire Golfer Victor Hovlin Memorial, champion and he actually has interesting tastes as you were alluding. To he's not like listening To Morgan wallen And Luke holmes or some shit like. That he's listening to some pretty serious. Metal he really likes a band Called, catatonia pretty into another one Called August Burns. Red so that's the kind of. Stuff. Now it's not like there's some there's some songs on there that are kind of where the singer's doing that kind of throat, thing like you, know the demon, voice but not all of. THEM a lot of them are kind, OF i, think on sort of the softer side of, metal the more ethereal side of. It and it's just. Interesting it's like not stuff That i've heard of, before And i'm not used TO pga to our golfers like really being into metal to the point where they're doing these Public spotify. Playlists SO i really enjoy. That that's my. Recommendation Victor Hovlin's spotify. Playlists look them up all, Right, meg thanks for joining me on this. Podcast this has been.
Speaker 3: Fun Thanks garrett.
Speaker 2: Talksin this episode of The Frida egg podcast was edited By Matt. Rusius thank, You. Matt if you'd like to support The Frida, egg the single best thing that you can do is Join club Tf this is at The frida egg dot com slash. Membership we offer all sorts of things WITH, clubtfe including content like weekly course profiles and regular blog, posts as well as perks like deals in the pro shop and early access To Frida egg events and various other. Things CLUB tfe, again and it's at the fridagg dot com slash. Membership all the information is. There thank you for, listening and we'll be back again soon