Speaker 1: This episode of Busting with the Boys. The Boys is brought to you by Barstool Sports, and guys, we were fired up to drop this George Kittle episode. If you guys are unfamiliar with George Kittle, get familiar with him. He's one of the best tight ends in the NFL, arguably the best. He plays for the San Francisco forty nine Ers. He's known as the People's tight end because he's a huge wrestling fan. We actually get into his obsession with the WWE. In twenty nineteen, he set a record for most receiving yards by season from a tight end. He also brought his dad. Shout out, Bruce Kittle. He brought him on the bus and it was a blast. He had some good insight chirp Taylor a little bit due to badass man. It was fun having him on. He played for Iowa. Both of them played it. I think that's true.
Speaker 2: I think they both played at Iowa.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm john a blankret.
Speaker 2: Now set you guys know how it is.
Speaker 1: But George played at Iowa, So we talk about Nebraska Iowa. Of course, we talk about the forty nine ers playoff front what super Bowl? Super Bowl Media week is like who would have won Titan verus forty nine ers had the Titans beat the Chiefs, So they argue a little bit about that. Playing for coach Shanahan, we ask him the question, would you rather not make the playoffs or losing the Super Bowl like they did? Why some people call him Greg, which is a funny ass story we hit on in college when he had to check himself and look himself in the mirror and give up partying for football, So he kind of explains a big transitional point in.
Speaker 2: His football career.
Speaker 1: We also talk about visualization and how that plays into our game. George talks about his reset button and his joker tattoo, how important George's dad is in his life, which is a phenomenal story in itself. Our favorite bars in Nashville, all this fun shit do you guys are gonna have a blast. But yeah, if you're listening to this episode unsubscribed, resubscribe If you're not subscribed, subscribe for the boys because it always helps us out and we appreciate you. We love you, big hugs, tiny kisses. Enjoy this episode, take a mental break from everything going on, and enjoy George Kittle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, on the bus. We probably already get an intro for this. We do the intros after and the outros.
Speaker 2: We do what do we do outros?
Speaker 1: We do whatever we want.
Speaker 3: We do whatever we want because it's our bus, it's our show. Brought on George Kittle, his almost super Bowl Champ, almost super Bowl Champ. We'll get we'll get into all that. But a surprise guest, his father, Bruce, which is the most dad name of all time. So congratulations on that.
Speaker 2: That'sable.
Speaker 3: It was My father's name was Bruce.
Speaker 1: He came right in and he was ready to be ready to it at us.
Speaker 3: So how did you find out about busting with the Boys?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: I can't remember, it's like three four months ago or something like that. But I got a Google alert for George's kind of following track and stuff, and your show popped up and I'd never heard of it, so I, okay, it's just about so I popping on and then I got to listen to it and if it's going away, and then all of a sudden, you guys go on this rant about kind of the dipshits, that colored glasses with no prescription, the blue light kind of balls, and then I think Michigan boy there kind of went off and like.
Speaker 3: He does that. Michigan said, I love that.
Speaker 1: You turned to his board just wrote yeah, like the.
Speaker 3: Guy from Billy Madison with the lipstick puts it on on the couch. Thank god, I called that guy. Did you do you play college sports?
Speaker 2: Of all I did? I played?
Speaker 3: You played Okay. So this is like a family lineage of going to Iowa City and playing ball there hard place to play, yeah, Kinnick, Yeah, are you all'll from Iowa? Really? How? What's that like?
Speaker 1: Living idiots out wandering around?
Speaker 3: That's what I owe the world and apology. That's how I always remember in Iowa.
Speaker 2: Those work for me.
Speaker 1: What did you say?
Speaker 2: It's better than Nebraska?
Speaker 3: I owe the world and apology. Nebraska is essentially the same thing as.
Speaker 2: Iowa, except it's flat, like Iowa has nice rolling hills and actually good corn. Yeah. I don't know what Nebraska has.
Speaker 3: Oh you took, you took everything they stand for. Yeah, so this is you can't.
Speaker 1: Not being from Nebraska. I can't speak on the car part. Oh that's fine, but you went there.
Speaker 3: You chose to go there. I got an offer there and I went outside.
Speaker 2: If you mind an hour outside of Lincoln.
Speaker 4: My dad's from McCook, which is like almost it's it's about halfway all the way to Colorado. There's nothing.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's absolutely nothing in Iowa. You'll you'll be driving and not stop at a stop sign and just go coast right on through, and you'll just see a town of one hundred and two people.
Speaker 2: Yeahazing, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my dad's hometown ninety four people. Right, and the next town literally is sixty five miles away. Yeah, And and then and it's only paved north and south. Everything else going east and west all gravel or dirt.
Speaker 1: And they say there's more cows than people, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they did, no doubt between cows, pigs and all that. Yeah, not in clothes.
Speaker 3: I don't want to. I don't want to flip the script at all because we happen going a little hard on Iowa. But that's kind of a cool like way of life, kind of do it, do whatever you want. Everyone knows each other. Yeah, you get a lot of trouble growing up. You seem like one of those guys.
Speaker 1: This is Nebraska.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I Nebraska was Nebraska.
Speaker 3: It's okay, I'm taking those are the same states. To me, there's probably like fifteen states Nebraska.
Speaker 1: I was a big deal that border, is it really?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It is to those folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah to those.
Speaker 3: Now are you still like big Iowa Hawkeye guy?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I kind of graduated when he did, you know what I mean? So it's I mean, it was all good. It's been good to It was good to me when I was there, and it was I did that and then went to graduate school learn all that. So the university has been good and all that, the program and they were great to George. So we're all good, but you know, we were kind of ready to move on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you grow up a Nebraska fan then? Since your dad?
Speaker 2: Well, no, I brought my dad's heart.
Speaker 4: So I got recruited by Nebraska and Iowa die and when when'd you play there?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 4: I graduated high school in seventy seven, so I was there fall seventy seven through eighty one, co captain eighty one rose ball team. So we didn't make it finally, but solid. Yeah, so there you go. And uh yeah, so no Tom Osborne. Actually the highlight of my dad's life is still because he had two brothers and they all went to Nebraska my grandfather everybody and got offered by Nebraska and dieland a couple ers and anyway, end up going to iowand my grandfather was so.
Speaker 1: Did they get to meet Tom?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, it was a big deal. He had.
Speaker 4: Tom would show up and then he pulled out back then they had the big red gum with that kind of sticks, and so that was his closer. You know, he's going, well, he'd slide the big red gum across. He goes, We hope you choose big.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like, hey, there's more where that came thing.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: That was very cool. My dad was just that was his big day.
Speaker 3: The and then you broke your family's heart. Yeah, would you like to take the time to apologize.
Speaker 2: To your family? No, it was all good.
Speaker 3: Hey put it out there. We're all about second chances on all.
Speaker 1: Of the older people in Bonta, Missouri. When Tom came to visit were I had teachers. There were teachers sprinting down the hallway to get his autograph. Really, yeah, it was insane. Tom is a legend.
Speaker 2: He's a legend. He is.
Speaker 4: He's a great, great man, and I mean he was terrific about everything. He was it was an honor to have him call into all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: That's pretty badass. Was good, But what was the deciding fight that took you to Iowa? George went to you in a second. Yeah, just switched, no doubt you got it all said up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: A part of was a little bit of familiarity, but it's just, uh, you know, I I wrestled, and I knew a bunch of the guys in the state, and just we had so many you know, kind of guys that decided to go there, and it was just kind of clan thing. I think kind of our graduating class tried to want to make a difference and I thought we'd stay at home. So that was a big chunk of it. So but I don't know, know, and the rest was good and all that just they were just a tad full of themselves, honestly, just you know what I mean, because I mean you had the two national titles and all that kind of stuff, and they kind of pat their chest a little bit like you're just supposed to drop over and think they're the greatest thing. And yeah, it wasn't all that good.
Speaker 1: So anyway, yeah, I'd probably be untouchable if we won Natty Natty's when I was there, but we didn't know we were like nine for the entire time. I was underfeaated against Iowa. Though when was your first year there?
Speaker 2: Twenty twelve?
Speaker 1: That might have been my scene? Was Levante David playing still? Or was that when we came to you guys in like the zero.
Speaker 2: Degree weather it was negative twenty five, but yeah, yeah, I didn't play that was you were dressed, no sleeves, of course, sleeps.
Speaker 1: But you're out there like frozen.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was miserable.
Speaker 2: Hey, best part about that game was so we were four and eleven and we sorry four and eight at the end of that, and there's fans behind us because I'm a fresh and I have no impact in the game. I'm saying by a heater, and their fans mind us, yelling us we're losing because our mindset is weak for send in front of a heater and there week. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry, my bad guys, but you ended up you ended up beating the you guys how many times you beat Nebraska?
Speaker 2: I beat Nebraska twice. I never lost at Lincoln. I'm two and oh there and then I won my senior year, we beat the absolute dog shit out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, honestly, like I think the last five years we've been struggling against Iowa. Yeah, fortunately though I was two.
Speaker 4: And oh so just to chime in, though, see we beat him on their rank fifth in the nation. My senior year where they came over, we hadn't had a winning season in twenty years, and Big Tom rolled in and yeah, we end up beat him. I think it was like twenty four to seventeen or something.
Speaker 2: They were number five, Yeah, either five.
Speaker 4: Or six something like that. That you know, it was the second game of the season.
Speaker 1: Did you guys store them the field?
Speaker 4: The crowd, Oh was sick. Yeah, I bet it. That's awesome, Yeah, it was. It was crazy. That was a big one for us. That was really fun.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's one of the issues that nebrask has now they're a little too full of themselves.
Speaker 4: Well, I just think they thought it was going to be easy to reload, and it's just you know, with recruiting and the parody and everything like that, and with recruiting rules and all that kind of because then back in my day, I mean they every freshman was on a freshman team and you used a year of eligibility and then they read share to you and the freshman team had one hundred and fifty guys on it.
Speaker 3: That's wild.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's wild. You know, it just was that is nuts. It was crazy. I mean you you'd come out and you they'd walk over to the freshman They were like totally separate. So, I mean they had practically three hundred bodies that were part of Nebraska football during that time. So it's just a whole different thing. The way they recruited. They just gave out as many scholarships as they needed to. They would just recruit enough people. Even if you couldn't play for them, you couldn't play for anybody else. Really, Yeah, there was just so many bodies. So it was just a whole different philosophy back then before they kind of cut everything down.
Speaker 3: Yes, wild, It's crazy the transition that happens between like college college teams. Like in the nineties early two thousands, Michigan was extremely relevant, you know, the U Miami eighties and nineties, and then Nebraska was a big deal. USC wh I was coming out of high school. I graduate high school twosand and nine and it was like USC Texas, Florida. Tim Teba was there then and so that was like and it's kind of like just these ebbs and flows. One thing that's kept together forever is Alabama with for the last decade and a half.
Speaker 1: Yea Alabama Clemson now though, Yeah.
Speaker 3: But Clemson has been I don't want to say relevant to be disrespectful, but like rolling from a national title standpoint, how long have they been It's been like just a few years, right, yeah, five six years. Yeah, so that's kind of like the trend. Then, like the next team will come in, the next team, but I think clemb is gonna get for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they probably will.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, they're solid, they're really good. They have a you know what, they have a lot of white boys in that team.
Speaker 2: They're really fat.
Speaker 3: There's so many white guys.
Speaker 1: Renfro shout out Hunter Renfrod really looks like a car salesman. But that dude can run some Wow. I'm talking scrappy out there on.
Speaker 2: The field, dude.
Speaker 3: A lot of white dudes on Clemson. I just gotta say that, it's just crazy, just crazy.
Speaker 1: They're carrying a heavy torch man. It's a heavy torch to carry it.
Speaker 3: So what do you want to do? You want to go back you had high school first? You want to hit this past Bill Clinton Tarantino? Which one do you want?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That one?
Speaker 3: Well do you want to do? Quinton Tarantino?
Speaker 1: Taylor's take us through?
Speaker 3: So you go play in the super Bowl? Yes, So before we go to the Super Bowl? Yep, double Clinton Tarantino. Oh wow, take us to NFC Championship. You guys play green Green Bay and donkey stomp Green Bay. No offense to Green Bay. Yeah, and so like you guys saying yourself, we're gonna win the Super Bowl, no problem.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I mean confidence was definitely high. Like I mean, I know they have a ton of great players. I mean, like one like thing for me, it's the NFL, Like everybody has great players. It's not like you're not playing a crappy college, right right, everyone has playmakers. So, like, I mean, I think both teams confidence was incredibly high, just to like, you know, they what came back from two to twenty point deficits to get to the Super Bowl and we just curb stomp dudes two weeks in a row. So yeah, we were both pretty confident, you know, especially us with our run game. I mean I was. I was pumped about it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You guys only threw the ball like eight times.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. The Vikings game we had eight attempts and then the Packers game, I think we had eleven. Jimmy g had an hour were in between passing the football. Really yeah. He passed the ball like once in the beginning of the second quarter, and there was another pass until like ten minutes up in the third quarter.
Speaker 3: It's like a high that's a literally high school football. That's an offensive lineman's dream.
Speaker 2: It was my dream.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're you're a big fan of blocking, right.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's the best, especially our scheme. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: What's your uh, what's your mission statement? Say your mission statement? There was something I read about your mission Statement's something about taking souls.
Speaker 2: That is one of mine. My favorite quote is moving a man from point A to point B against as well. It's the greatest feeling you never feel.
Speaker 3: You just said that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 1: That's his favorite quote.
Speaker 3: No, you know who said? Do you know who said that?
Speaker 2: Coach?
Speaker 3: I believe that was Russ Grimm, Hall of Famer, part of the Hogs.
Speaker 4: Well, I know he did say it, but it's attributed. So my lineage with the Highway right, Kirk Farence came my senior year. Who's my line coach and I was on staff there for four seasons. So and his two his prime mentors were bad Rad who coached at Pittsburgh dur and the Steelers Heyday, and then Jill Moore. Really yeah, and so he always attributed to Jill Moore. And I heard Jill Moore when he visited us and we visited him. He would always say that. So if you ask coach fars, Kirk would always say it was it was the.
Speaker 2: Quoted for him multiple times and it just kind of always stuck with me.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. We had, uh, we had Russ Grim a couple of years ago, and he's i mean one of the Hogs Hall of famers already said that, but he was one of my favorite coaches of all time. And he would say that all the time and anytime we do a run game. Meaning he was simple. He never made anything too difficult. It wasn't like, hey, your landmarks should be this, your foot's got to be this. It was just, hey, you're deducing to this guy. Hey, you guys are doubling to that guy or whatever. And he would always say, take a guy from point eight from point a to point b against his will. That's unbelievable. It's when you when you take someone away. Yeah, that's a nice gig. Would you call that a hold?
Speaker 2: Did?
Speaker 3: No? It did not get called. That's totally fair.
Speaker 1: We're asking you, do you think it was?
Speaker 2: There's a holding on every single play.
Speaker 1: Right, but gl you had the nice.
Speaker 3: Down block to there.
Speaker 2: But did he get called? Way?
Speaker 3: Where were you?
Speaker 1: What were you doing when you're laying on the ground. You're just laughing.
Speaker 2: Laughing God, because I was like, that was really farm and easy.
Speaker 1: Was he saying anything to you?
Speaker 2: You have to do that?
Speaker 3: He said that because it's football.
Speaker 1: George is like yelling laughing down there.
Speaker 3: Who's the hardest guy you've had to block?
Speaker 2: Climax tough?
Speaker 3: Yeah, climaxes stud. He's a stud.
Speaker 2: He's pretty good.
Speaker 1: He looks like an animal out there.
Speaker 3: Clowney's pretty good to Yeah, Clowne's a stud. I played against Clowney in the Outback Bowl when he had that like infamous hit. Oh yeah, yeah, that was whose fault was that? It was a power scheme and I called deuce and then the tight end was like Trey. I was like, no, it's a deuced. I not put Yeah, put your boy right under this bus. He's under it.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 3: If this bus could run right now, he'd be under it.
Speaker 2: See. I saw a great quote from him after the game. It was like he's like, yeah, everyone's bating me for that block. But it wasn't my fault. I blocked the right guy, really because I remember like that.
Speaker 1: So what's the Titans name?
Speaker 3: No free shoutouts? He doesn't have.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought we were shouting up.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm not I'm not gonna shut up, Kyle. I'm not gonna shout hey.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 3: We can tell you what the third level block he went.
Speaker 2: He went for walk.
Speaker 3: And I'm out and I hit up.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 3: You guys kind of smack, kind of hit me.
Speaker 2: Why am I.
Speaker 3: Always getting smacked? If you would have scored then on display they did like it was like fourth down or something. Is the third down going to fourth down or fourth down? I would have been turnover and we missed the first down by like less than a foot, but they called it a first down and the next play this happened.
Speaker 1: And you guys ended up losing that game, right, Yeah, we end up losing this because I remember being all we were all pissed off because you want the Big ten to always beat that Yeah Bowl games and you guys are beating them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Vincent Smith, there I am, and there I go.
Speaker 2: And okay, you're already you think right here, you're I mean, you're a tight end.
Speaker 1: What do we what are we seeing here?
Speaker 3: Boys?
Speaker 1: We gotta tackle this? Uh?
Speaker 3: The because they did a lot of movement. They went from A to B gap a lot. So if we had a two I at any time, we would douce through.
Speaker 2: If you left me on an island versus him, I would have I would have hated you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Probably, I'm sure he does too. He will say his name and he just kind of took say his name was?
Speaker 4: Where was the d lined up?
Speaker 2: Was he? He was a six I six I and you left him?
Speaker 3: Oh let's go, we got the Hey see do you see the guy that's in the two. They did a lot of slanty. They were movement type of team. And what is power power is a gap scheme play. That's your classic power play.
Speaker 2: And it's don't leave the title alone and also that he's gotta take better steps to get down.
Speaker 4: But you didn't have anybody to be gap.
Speaker 3: I know, because there's a two. If I've said it three times, I thought you did it after the second.
Speaker 1: Uh you coach at Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Right, We're not gonna just walk past this real quick. Sorry, I'm getting abused on my own podcast right now. I will say that Vincent Smith was Vince Smith. He's like five to four. He's a short little guy, and he took this hit like a champ. All right, go ahead and move on, move on. He took it like a champ. Shout out Devon Garden for actually going for the ball.
Speaker 1: That was he. That was enjoyable.
Speaker 3: Well do you like that?
Speaker 1: It was just because he sat back in the tight end. Why would you do that? And you guys seem to talk the same language, so you know, I'm just gonna observe and enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Seems like a fog sticking up for a son in a situation.
Speaker 1: But we're talking about yeah, yeah, that comes in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he heard deuce and he said, what, yeah, exactly?
Speaker 3: Has no idea? What how do you don't know what deuce means? You're a smart guy, though, that's your thing.
Speaker 1: I would get it if I said in offensive meetings for a week.
Speaker 3: But if you're not a universal term.
Speaker 1: Double double to the next level, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: I guess so sure that that actually would be a fair way to put it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you would. You would both double until somebody bruce gets it, until somebody shot a gap and you had to come off and hit.
Speaker 2: That yourselves and like triple as me and Taylor work together like it's deuced like a duo. Yeah, guard tackle okay, okay, okay, center garde.
Speaker 3: Du is more like a it's a gap scheme, play without a poller, right, yeah. And then power power basically, I will teach everybody how to block power right now, close your eyes, go to one o'clock. That's what you gotta do. And if you have a two I and they move a lot and it's a game plan, go into a bullet do what the coach says.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about you overcome coaching?
Speaker 3: Oh oh my god, listen, let's talk about something. The Kansas City Chiefs guys eleven by eleven points. Yes, and the Titans lost to the Kansas City Chiefs also by eleven points.
Speaker 2: So it's your fault.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I guess so, it's everybody's fault. It's a team sport, a lot of individuals on this bus. Bruce, who do you think would have won in a Super Bowl between the Titans and the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: I think we would have won.
Speaker 3: Okay, we we elaborate, elaborate. You guys have a good run game, can we do too? Heys of a good defense? Can we do too?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, see our run game though, we're I think we led what We're second in the NFL behind only the Ravens because Lamar can run for two game, right, he's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Beat them?
Speaker 2: You guys? Did we lost to them?
Speaker 3: That was?
Speaker 2: That was a fun game to watch.
Speaker 3: That was That was a cool game to be a part of.
Speaker 2: Wait, which game did you like better? Beating New England or beating Baltimore. Oh, that's a good question.
Speaker 3: I think probably beating Baltimore because I've been to the divisional round before and go to the a C Championship. It's like, holy shit, you're one game away from the show, like you're you're so close. I think I think if Rabel is here, he'd probably say the Patriots. The Patriots, that's what your best team of By the way, Yeah, now he was unbelieved. He did a great job on that. He loves. He loves busting with the boys. He wants to come back on he does. I actually said something about a player's toe, and he texted me and he's like, we'll make sure to bring this up during OT because we're not supposed to talk about other guy's injuries. So I texted the guy and I said, I apologize to him, apologized to Rabel, but I'm definitely gonna get it when O TA started.
Speaker 1: And then Brabile texts me, He's like, I just wanted to let you know what I said to your boy. He text me the same thing.
Speaker 3: Hey, Rabel's a boy now he does. He loves busting with the boys. John not so much.
Speaker 1: But you talk about saying out of the media. Ray was just heavy in the media on facetiming with Brady.
Speaker 3: So he was facetiming Brady.
Speaker 1: At the Yeah, Edelman and Brady's next to him and they're they're all facetimon So they're like Brady to the Titans. Confirmed. But yeah, everybody's arguing on social media right now. Was that posted on parcel But Rabel. It's everywhere, but Rabel's face is on the FaceTime, so you could you know his face?
Speaker 2: What a great shop are the guys sitting behind?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's no one's safe anymore. You can't do anything and you get exposed.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no chance.
Speaker 3: That's tough stuff, man. I mean back in nineteen eighteen seventy seven or whenever your old man played like he told.
Speaker 2: Me that he would have been in jail had there been canting.
Speaker 3: Oh no question, yeah, no question. Bruce has got that. You got that salty, old old guy vibe. Which that's a compliment. Okay, please don't take that. I'm about to get my assakay?
Speaker 2: Oh do they have it?
Speaker 3: Does that count as tampering? But it shouldn't really count as tampering.
Speaker 2: Because they're boys, they know each other.
Speaker 3: It's like if you became a coach and we were boys and you FaceTime me, would that be a problem? Not for me, But does the NFL get mad at that? It's if somebody wanted to get the dude, the boys, the boys rocking back there? So what brought you guys in Nashville? How do you guys have here?
Speaker 2: That's root of you, that's a good game. The play is a nice PI call. But what did you say?
Speaker 3: Sorry? What brought you guys in Nashville? You guys live in Nasville?
Speaker 2: Now? I bought a house in April, really April. Yeah. Yeah, we're at like a block away from Lipscomb to high school. Really yeah, very cool?
Speaker 3: You work got down there?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I do my training there. He's the line coach there.
Speaker 3: With Hey with whole holt Yeah, holds of stud man lipscumb's got that thing. I'll figure it out. Huh.
Speaker 2: Aren't there redoing a whole weight room and everything just did? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Really yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and our strength coach he's got eighteen years in the league. Really yeah, he left the Texans to take our job.
Speaker 3: No way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because his kids plays the quarterback and so he wanted him to come because he knows dl FL from the old.
Speaker 2: Days and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: So that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's pretty good. No, they just redid it with all this stuff he wanted from whatever he's been doing. I can't remember what makes it, but yeah, it's pretty special.
Speaker 3: And you also reside in Nashville. Yeah, so what brought you guys from?
Speaker 2: So? I woa to hear Worre at Iowa. I was just finished my rookie season. I was going to go back live with my parents, and I was sitting in his train at the University of Iowa. But like, after a week of Oil Doyle rules, I was like, well, I don't have a quarterback, so I can't routes, and there's no other wide receivers here. I was literally the only offensive skill position there. Everything else was off. It's the line or d line. I was like, well I can't. I guy, I can lift weights all I want, but being a tight end you kind of have to catch the ball once in a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so my quarterback from I was C. J. Bethard, who's our backup quarterback at San Francisco. He was like, yeah, just come to Nashville'll run routes to work out together, the whole shebang. And then my wide receiver from San Francisco, Trent Taylor, also lives in Nashville, so yeah, you can come train with me and did that right after my rookie year. Worked that well for me, did it again last year and then I just loved it so much about a house, no doubt, and Nashville's just sick.
Speaker 3: So National is a sweet place. I gotta tell you. The weather though it's depressing.
Speaker 2: It's brutal. Febra and March are not fun, and then July is really human but it's fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's it's still Nashville. It's just cloudy and rainy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Live in Iowa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't exactly.
Speaker 3: I grew up in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: There's like a week ago it was like ten degrees and six ins inches of snow.
Speaker 3: That's wild. So yeah, Will and I were talking about that on the film before this podcast, is like, I was like, how do you live here? Like in February March time? Because it's like if I don't get sun, Like, if there's not I almost get depressed. It does actually gets down Taylor, he grew up in Arizona. Yeah, and just said that.
Speaker 2: Backers Nebraska. Yeah, I was gonna say.
Speaker 4: I thought he just said, I do appreciate that you.
Speaker 1: Hey, but what I say about living in Nashville you got to embrace the suck. I think you appreciate the seasons more.
Speaker 2: I appreciate Broadway.
Speaker 3: I appreciate Broadway. What's your what's your spot in Nashville?
Speaker 2: Oh wow?
Speaker 3: Going out. You're cut, you're cutting loose for one night.
Speaker 2: Oh. I'm a big fan of Luke Bryan's and f GL House.
Speaker 1: Solid places, solid.
Speaker 2: For I like both those places. It's fun.
Speaker 3: When we did the jersey reveal thing for the Titans new uniforms, they were all they like that's where the after party was. FGL House.
Speaker 2: It's a good, good set up on the stairs is sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a nice spot. You've been to Losers I love that's my dude, that is my number one spot. Yeah, Saturdays, catch me in the back, man.
Speaker 2: I'm a Friday guy.
Speaker 3: There are you really? They were just fishing each other.
Speaker 2: We'll flip it.
Speaker 3: We'll flip it. I'll come to you on Saturday, or you're coming to me on Saturday. Fridays, I'll go to FGL House.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of batter parties the weekend of the March fourteenth. If you're interested, I'll be in Cabo. The boys will be in cop I just got back from Cabo. How was Cabo the best? D is I want to own a place there? Oh yeah, one hundred percent. What's great is I fly down from San Francisco and it's like a two hour flight, and it's that's awesome. It's it's it's super easy for me. Yeah, going through customs is super easy there too, just in and out and all of sudden you're on the beach for five days, seven days.
Speaker 3: I want to know where Ezekiel Elliott's training down there.
Speaker 2: Holdouts someone told me. I do not remember though, but it was like right on a really really nice like Tiger Woods golf course.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure is it like is it a nice setup there?
Speaker 2: Sick?
Speaker 3: That's one thing Nashville needs to get is like, like you would you train for the combine Exos?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So I'm a big Exos guy. I love what they do. I really do. I'm a big exercise no fore shouts, but that was free. That was free. Well, we'll blip them out.
Speaker 1: It's part of the it's part of the deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's part of it's part of the gig. Here.
Speaker 3: I'm bustling with the boys. I'm a big fan. I think like Nashville needs like a good solid, like an Exos type place because now everybody has access to the lips. I'm like, y'all do very true, you know what I'm saying. Or yeah, Vandy solid too. That's where that's where we worked out in the summertime and all that.
Speaker 2: So you go to the Super Bowl, Yeah, back on tracks.
Speaker 3: Yeah see yeah, well all the place. Tell us what that week's like, going through the whole thing, like the whole uh media, all that stuff.
Speaker 2: The media is wild experience just because you do it, you have, like it what it's like two hours on Monday night and then you have an hour of the next day, and then an hour the next day, and then an hour of the next day, and by the third and fourth days you either have the exact same questions or you have a bunch of people will run around trying to do get you to do really stupid stuff. I had a dude from a German Germany use like podcasts or something like that. He tried to get me to swear in German on like national television multiple times, like all four days. He tried to get me to say swear words.
Speaker 3: Did you do it? No? Why not?
Speaker 2: My PR guys would have you know, they would have not been happy with Yeah.
Speaker 3: PR guys aren't usually happy with me. O the Titans.
Speaker 2: See, I try. I try to be nice. You know, that's good.
Speaker 3: You you're you're you know what, You're coachable, You're a people person, coachable.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: You're describing me because I'm white.
Speaker 3: I'm first and first. Yeah, lunch, pale guy, limited athletically ceiling, got a ceiling for sure, there's no floor, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the media week, that stuff is wild. Practice was different. I mean we were at the University of Miami, which is pretty cool, like being in one of their locker rooms and seeing their facilities, which is sick, I mean, but it was. They did a really good job of making it as normal of a game week as you possibly could. But yeah, mean, yeah, it was pretty normal. It's pretty easy. The media stuff gets pretty old pretty quick. But other than that, you just go play football.
Speaker 3: Do you like do you have like a routine during the week obviously that you like massages? Do you do ivs and stuff like that? So how did you were able to do that when you're done in Miami?
Speaker 2: Well, our team was a great job. Like three days, two days a week. They bring in this is in California. They bring in a massage like a team of ten to twelve people, massage therapists, chiropractors, acupuncturists, like the whole shebang twice really to us too, and so then they brought all those people to Miami with us no way, Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: That's all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so sick. So I got to I mean like that stuff was easy for me, Like I didn't have to adjust anything.
Speaker 3: Mm hm.
Speaker 2: The only thing that like, what sucks about doing stuff on the road, in my opinion, is all this time you spoun on a bus going to and front places. Yeah, because instead of I live five minutes from my facilities in San Francisco, and so as soon as stuff gets done, like I'll get it's a five minute drive home for me, then I have the rest of my day. Yeah, Like there was I was a thirty minute bus ride and they had to wait for everyone, and it's another thirty minute bus ride. Then you have to go to media for an hour and a half and so like I wasted basically two and a half hours before I could do So that part sucked, but it was whatever after that.
Speaker 1: What's it like planning?
Speaker 2: Coach Andahan awesome. Kyle's just I mean, he's the man. I love playing for him. I think one of my favorite things about him is like, first thing, I think he just loves football so much. And like when you have a guy that loves football and you're's like not work for him, it makes it pretty easy to play for the guy, Like he doesn't have to give us a pump up speech R like that, you can just tell much it means to him. But I also like he's just straight up with everybody. He doesn't lie, like he's in front of like even when like we were what four and twelve last year, and he still got up in front of the team, didn't bullshit us right like that, He's like, this is why we're not good. This is the way it to do. Be better, Like we just got to work hard and practice better. So he's always straight up with us, and that's what I love about him. And he's a great you know, he's all about the players. He just wants to make sure everyone's you know, bodies are healthy ready to roll into each game.
Speaker 3: Being four and twelve, do you think that the biggest change is obviously been having Jimmy g healthy.
Speaker 2: Then, Like I mean we grew up honestly, Like my rookie year, I think it was like we had twenty rookies on the active roster fifteen something like that, and then the next year was all for rookies and then second year guys, like everybody was like, we didn't have any vets, like Joe Staley was our vet and other than that, we really didn't.
Speaker 3: All that to have.
Speaker 2: He's amazing that guys all time. Dude, super pump that he's going back. If I hope he is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is he a free agent or is this like a possible retirement.
Speaker 2: Possible retirement. I don't think so, Dude, I heard.
Speaker 3: And I don't know. So if he hears this, I'm speaking out of.
Speaker 2: Rumors, he's talking shit.
Speaker 3: I'm talking shit, Joe. I heard that.
Speaker 2: I heard that.
Speaker 3: Like before Shanahan got there, he was like kind of ready to hang it up. And then when Shanahan got there, he enjoyed the offense so much. He's like, I'll keep doing this. I like this. Hey, the Titans Titans in fortnit As, we run similar offense.
Speaker 2: We know, yeah, but I don't know. I do know that he has definitely enjoyed playing this offense so like it it's run game friendly. Like the amount of work that we had to do together to just makes our lives a lot easier. Yeah, it's a fun offense.
Speaker 3: No, I love watching us. But how many runs do you guys usually keep going into games?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 3: You guys are pretty run heavy, Like.
Speaker 2: Our run portfolio, our run install I'd say it's between like first and second down out of twenty one like everything, but eleven personnel is thirty five pages. Really yeah, and then one plays kill it plays with like our cans and all that stuff on them, and then we'll have between ten and fifteen eleven personnel runs and then we add in the short yards and the goal line stuff later. So you guys hear shit, little runs fifty to sixty every week?
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you think that ever becomes a problem for like younger guys being able to remember, because like you can have three plays and they're all exact same but outside zone, but like it's a little different for the tight end on this plate. It's a little diferent for the z on this play.
Speaker 2: I mean, like I struggled my rookie year with it. It was it was super hard because like we have a play called Zelda and we have a play called Zoro, which are the exact same basically for everybody except for the Titan the fullback and but they sound the same. They're kind of similar, and yeh.
Speaker 3: Swisch responsibilities on this place essentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but it's just like, oh geez, but I've gotten used to it and they've they've gotten a lot better of installing it too, so it's broken down a lot easier so younger guys can figure it out. But we also don't really have that many young guys on our line. Like mcglinch's the youngest guy, and other than that, I think everyone's five years or lake and I think, yeah, yeah, So, I mean we have an older offs THEVE line now, which is nice, but there are some there are some confused and stuff, but we work.
Speaker 3: It out, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Shannan's the studs man. When when I was on the Scams my rookie year, it was Shanahan, Lafleur, and Sean McVay all in the same staff squad, and yeah, and those dudes were like up every night all night, just scheming all the time because coach Mike Shanahan was the head coach at that point. Yeah, they were studs man, and they were fun to be around because they're like younger and everything and they're just they were just always you know, busting their ass about everything. They're just everything, always schematics, arguing, just everything. And now they're all, you know, head coaches just killing it.
Speaker 3: Lafleur was the same way at the Titans, like he'd be there till midnight everything. I don't know how those guys get sleep.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like they don't give a ship. I've never just like, yeah, we're trying to this whole thing.
Speaker 2: We got Shanahan, who's like the OC head coach, and then we have U Mike Lafleur, so Lafleur's brother, and there's our passing corner, and then Mike McDaniel's our run game coordinator. And I don't think I've ever seen any of those three guys leave or get to work. Really, they're always just there when I get there.
Speaker 3: Or that's wild, dude. I that's how our O line coaches are. The Titans a little bit, he's he's always grinding it out. I mean when we finished the AFC, the AFC Championship game and we were doing exit interviews, he was like, all right, we'll see you later, as opposed to like the year before we did make the playoffs. We had like twenty minutes all of us sitting down talking. He's like, all right, well you guys, we'll see you. OTA's good job. We'll doeple ge him next time, kind of saying they were ready. They were ready to get out. Man, they were ready to take a little bit of a break. That's gonna be tough, though. Do you would you rather not make the playoffs or go to the super Bowl and lose.
Speaker 2: We're just having this conversation like were you really Yeah, Like I don't know, because I mean, like going to super Bowl. It's the super Bowl, so like that in itself is awesome, But like if I got to the NFC Championship and loss, I think I would have rather almost not made the playoffs. Right, just two months extra on your body, a month and a half. Yeah, it's brutal getting done knowing that, Yeah, getting done in December, getting done to December thirty first, as compared to January twentieth, like those many days of like those twenty days you lost in your off season already. I know. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: I've had I've had a hard time, like like with my times just because I did the AFC championship and now like usually I take like January off and then I go work out and so like I was in what two days after Yeah, the a sh sh I was like, I gotta I gotta work out like this is I guess that's my vacation. Also though, based on how you were feeling, because yeah, I've never felt something. I've never felt so good. I don't think since high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt a lot better, dud.
Speaker 3: It makes you like when you don't make the playoffs, Like my first two years, we were two and fourteen and then three and thirteen, and I was like, how the how did fucking guys do this? This is awful? Like and every week lose every single week, Like you're in November and the vets are making their plans for vacation, like what are you guys going to do? It's like middle of November because you know you're not making the playoffs, and it's like.
Speaker 1: And coaches are so like, hey, if this team loses and we win and you end up getting in.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, there's all these mathematics and you can get in like six and ten.
Speaker 1: And you're like, man, I just hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just kidd.
Speaker 3: It's like well, yeah, if you're like one of those teams that squea in, sometimes you're like, I mean we were one of those teams that squeezed in at the end and went on a run. But it's like sometimes it's like there's those teams that make the playoffs have any business in the playoffs, but they just happened to be the sixth seed that got in, and it's like, Okay, you guys just wastedification for a week. Yeah, you know, it's not like, uh, I mean, like the pay is not the same like that. Some guys checks go dramatically down in the playoffs get.
Speaker 2: Like Russell Wilson makes whatever he makes and then the playoffs he makes thirty thousand. Yeah, round, that's unbelievable, rageous.
Speaker 1: I think it should be that way. No, remember we talked about that. Yeah, but why there's like, uh, you know, you make whatever. You guys make like forty thousand for the for whatever game, and.
Speaker 3: It's like twenty nine thousand for the first two games. I think the same one. It goes up a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's still a solid, it's still a solid yeah, but rejected we're talking, but like first off, but like you're for him, Yeah, I know for him, but me, you're not on your second deal yet, so you're not you haven't even hit your fourth year, so you're still on like a.
Speaker 2: Rookie nice bonus.
Speaker 1: So it's a nice bonus for the boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like what about the fellas?
Speaker 1: But yeah, true, no doubt. But I also SAIDs. But I also said somebody who's somebody who's big paid but also on the sideline and you're out there grinding and you're like, oh, this dude's making his same game day check.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I mean like I like I said, I like the bonus, Like for I got a rookie tight end and then a second year tight end. They were both under at free agents. Like for them, Yeah, that's awesome. It's great for me too. But I'm just saying, like Russe Wilson him, like why like why would you go out there like thirty thousand dollars like when you're usually getting paid I don't know what three thousand, five hundred thousand.
Speaker 1: No, go ahead, what do you get?
Speaker 3: Hey, we can look it up, So just say it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't say it's okay, we'll bleep it out. Yeah, just bleep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I make a game per week. I make a game, I may bleeve the game you gotta you gotta pause makes Bruce is here staring me down. I feel uncomfortable saying how much I make. You should Okay, that's full, you can google it. But I will say, like anybody who's listening to, anybody who listens to like obviously, like, twenty nine thousand dollars is a lot of money. Twenty nine thousand dollars is a lot of money. Like we're talking about from a relative standpoint, when you play in the NFL, like and you sign a second contract and it's a bigger contract, and you sign a second contract, like and you play a certain amount of money four games.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, first week.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna I'm just gonna wait until this is all over. Eighty million people.
Speaker 1: Nineteen was your base salary eleven million this year?
Speaker 3: Well yeah, that was after I got suspended from Good for you.
Speaker 1: So he's probably, you know, roughly, that's a lot. Don't do many eight something a game.
Speaker 3: So but I'm what I'm saying is is that like when you go and you're making a certain amount of money, Let's say you're making eight hundred thousand dollars a game. Let's just say, and you go and you play another game. Why when't that in the playoffs you're gonna have there's gonna be more ratings, more money coming in for teams. Why wouldn't you make more money your same check and then they got why would everybody make their same check?
Speaker 2: Not a big math guy, but I don't understand, you know what I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying that that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I love tequila. You can't beat it, tequila, water, lime juice.
Speaker 2: You're solid like tequila, pineapple juice.
Speaker 3: Really a lot of sugar in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, but it's juice. So then I feel healthy. There you go.
Speaker 3: I love that squeezed so that I feel healthy.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to uh, George A little bit or a lot of bit?
Speaker 3: George?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Greg, George? Either one, all right? Whatever? Whatever you know ruffles or feathers, isn't it George? It is GEORGI yeah, okay, who said Greg? I don't know who said Greg? You said Greg? I don't say Greg.
Speaker 3: I get those are two total different names.
Speaker 2: Well, I get, I get, well, esp I sat.
Speaker 1: Here like, holy shit, I thought it was George.
Speaker 3: Remember this and anything in the head, anything in the head things and this ship. Yeah, hospital like.
Speaker 2: Three times last year. I think it was after season. I think it was ESPN. I think like put up all these like like what tight end would you want on your team? And it was Kelsey, Kyle Rudolph, Greg Kittle, question Mark like three different times, who would you say at the top five tight ends in the league right now, no particular order. I love. I mean, Kelsey's amazing, Zach Artz is incredible. I think you have two fantastic tight ends and Walker and Smith and they're both unreal.
Speaker 3: Oh first, there's a stunt any smart too, Let's see.
Speaker 2: I like Will Disley and Seattle. I just he is a play a full season healthy, which he will like you've just been hurt. I mean, like what I love about that, there's so many great tight ends in the NFL, Like they're everywhere, and you know, not all of them get you know, the spotlight anything like that, but I think there's a bunch of really good ones out there and finally starting get a little recognitions.
Speaker 3: I like that tight end positions definitely developing into something. It was kind of like fading for a little bit, and it's coming back full force. It is definitely your guys catch the ball, you can run.
Speaker 1: We just had Darren Waller come on a couple of days ago.
Speaker 2: Oh really, he's a monster. Yeah, he's a stuch I did. I always forget how he's what six to seven? He's telling him.
Speaker 1: Uh, He's like, no, I don't think.
Speaker 2: He's sixty six. Yeah, probably, I've seen him on film. It's just he has the longest legs I've ever seen. I need like gallops bro Field.
Speaker 1: He has the craziest story. I was telling Taylor about it because he wasn't here for that one. But it's the most insane story because he's a recovering addict. Oh yeah, and he was suspended for the entire year I think of two thousand and seven twenty seventeen, and basically when he drove back to Atlanta, he like odd in his car and checked himself into rehab thirty five days, twelve sep program, all that stuff, talked about how fire it was, and then basically worked at Sprouts for eleven to fifty an hour until he got reinstated into the NFL. Bald was on the piece where they tried stuffing him on the Peace squad. You know how that works for guys who are good. And they tried to hide him on practice squad Oakland Raiders at the end of the year saw him pregame more of up.
Speaker 2: He's like, Yo, who the fuck is this guy?
Speaker 1: And they activated him the next week and that's how he started with Oakland in twenty eighteen. Then he had his year in twenty nineteen. They re upped him mid year I think after London the London game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like four weeks in, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: But dude, the most incredible story. But anyway, shout out Darren waller Man, dude playing in Iowa.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was reading up on you earlier and you were a big party guy. Oh yeah, yeah, big party guy. Read this huge article I think on NFL dot com talking about you know, you basically had to check yourself going into what maybe senior.
Speaker 2: Year, Recher junior year, Yeah, recherd junior year.
Speaker 1: You just what would you do? You just focused more, you were you were having more fun than you were focused on ball or what.
Speaker 2: Well, my freshman year because I red shirted, I think I went out five nights a week. Sure, really? Oh yeah, right? Yeah? I mean you only were I only on to wake up like at six am twice a week for lifts. Other than that, like we didn't have anything until the afternoon, so it was pretty easy. And then when you're nineteen years old, you recover pretty fast. Yeah yeah, like you could drink a bottle of Captain and then you wake up the next day you do a full workout without thinking twice about it. But no, I just went from I mean I was from Iowa City, so I had plenty of friends there then along with the whole college life, it was awesome. Yeah, going into my let was that red shirt junior year, I really didn't play a lot. I was I think I was fourth string on the depth chart. I had a young a younger guy below me. I had a younger guy that was ahead of me on the depth chart, So you know that kind of bites at you, no doubt, But yeah, I was like, well, you know, I want to play football, my goals to make it to the NFL, Like what do I need to do to change this? And it was really weird, Like the around that exact same time, we had a linebacker and who played at Iowa pat anger technician, just an absolute savage, and he came and he was doing he was like transitioning as well, trying to do something new. But he did like a stint with us. He was like a just as a straight coach for a little bit. Just came in, you'll be a part of the program again and uh. He talked to us front of the team where Kaeff introduced him as the guy that he didn't play it all like his first two years, I think two and a half years because he got trouble at the time for being drunk downtown, but he liked to fight. I'm not a big fighter in downtown when I'm drunk.
Speaker 3: Pat, you're a lover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have fun, everybody enjoy everybody.
Speaker 2: Everyone have a good time baby, good vibes only. But Pat like we would get in fights and stuff like that, and so he so, I finally I got approach and I was like, you know, Pat, what'd you change? He goes, I just looked myself in the mirror and said, do you want to play football or do you want to be known as Joe College your entire life? He said, That's all I needed. And then after that, I stopped going out so much. I stopped drinking so much, and I mean really like all it did really take me. It's kind of a wake up call. But I mean, did I still go out and enjoy myself. Yeah, yeah, but I was just smarter about it, and I just did it when it was appropriate as opposed to in the middle of the week.
Speaker 1: So that was kind of the moment that we're just literally just like, Okay, this guy, I I I soak in this advice. I'm more of a sponge to what he's saying compared to yeah, what your dad was saying. What do you what do you think when you read something back on some of the stuff, or did you know you have to get him to focus? Or what was it like, Raisin old George Well, raising his college years, let's say college years.
Speaker 4: Well, he loved because I mean I coached him all the way up until high school, you know what I'm and so every little and then I was a coach, So we had preached all that. I don't know, I'm glad that Pat came along, but it's nothing that we had told him. You know, I told him watch film with your que you know, go in there and learn the offense, be a student of the game, make sure you put your time in because he came out of high school at you know, six three ish and one ninety five and eighty five or whatever, and then we're gonna.
Speaker 2: He wasn't excited.
Speaker 4: Look, you got three years, got to live in the weight room, be a big, thick and strong, learn the game, be a great technician, and fight you're wear into the field.
Speaker 2: My biggest trouble like the transition. Like I know, I lived in the weight room, I did all that, I got size, the uh like the scheme, I just it was like I just didn't really I didn't. I didn't think studying was a big thing in football. That used to show up.
Speaker 3: And play in high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you never watched it. It took like two and a half years to understand that I don't know anything. And I got to figure that out, right, So and then I mean, once I figured it out, then you get a little bit of confidence. I mean, and for me, football is all about confidence. If you're confident your ability, you're gonna play well. And so yeah, and then I finally got to play a little bit and two good years in a row, finally got an opportunity the NFL.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. Yeah, I mean it kind of sounds kind of similar for me, honestly, but I didn't figure it out. It's like my second year in the NFL. After my second year and then I stopped going out so much. I gotta probably count one hand how many times I've drink in twenty nineteen. Not a big drinker.
Speaker 1: Let's go not a big drinker.
Speaker 2: I would be the Cabo.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Cabo. I mean what I do now is like, I don't just go out to go out like I, Oh, it's Friday night, Like that's what you do. You go out on Friday nights, go on Saturday Night's Like for me, I'm like, all right, I do a boy's weekend. Every Saint Patty's Day. We go to Cabo four or five days. I let it loose and Cabo have some fun and then get back on track.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it kind of goes like do you drink during the season at all?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I mean the only time I do I do drink is if I do, it's gonna be bye week. Like Halloween. Halloween is my favorite holiday. I love Spootober.
Speaker 2: Dude, we throw a great Halloween party.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, we need to do a big Halloween party here. My wife is she loves throwing parties, and I think that's on the that's on the it's gonna maybe FGL house this year. We'll find out when your bye week is maybe come out.
Speaker 2: He said it was Week four's brutal.
Speaker 3: We've had that before. That's that's tough gig.
Speaker 2: I don't know how Like I want two bye weeks. It will never happen. Like I would love two bye weeks, but like, how do you give someone a bye week week four weeks into the season, So it's it's insane.
Speaker 3: You should start buying until like at least week.
Speaker 2: Seven, Yeah, six to seven, like I can get six because like you then need to buy like after camp and all that stuff. But week four is tough because twelve straight games is a lot.
Speaker 3: That dude, I've had to do that before. That's a tough gig. That's a really tough gig. You want two buys though.
Speaker 2: I like I don't know, man, Like for me, like as long as I'm healthy, like I feel like I can play football forever. So like that extra buye is incredible because I mean, like for me, the bye week, I don't really go anywhere. I stay around and I just do rehab and I get my body back health.
Speaker 1: And before we go into the next topic, the boy, we only have one ad for you today and it's Omaha Steaks. Dude, shout out Omaha Steaks.
Speaker 3: No free shoutouts.
Speaker 1: Absolutely love that the boys are advertising through the boys because my Husker baby shout out the Huskers, shout out being a fuck corn oscar because that's allways about when I was in Nebraska's Omaha Steaks. I love grilling and it's a great thing to do with your old man. So what a perfect gift to have and do as an activity on Father's Day. Omaha Steaks. They offer one hundred percent of American grain finished beef naturally age at least twenty one days for the ultimate tenderness, juiciness, and flavor. Almost Steaks offers a variety of options everyone loves, from steaks to chicken, pork burgers, easy to make meals, desserts, and more. Some grocery stores have limits on meats, especially as you guys know right now, going in a store, they have limits on how much you can grab. So why not get great meat ship right to your door, Because that's exactly what happened with omoh Steaks.
Speaker 2: And the boys.
Speaker 1: They shift the box of meats, sent all the fun stuff. The best thing is obviously that I'm gonna shot out here in a second. Are those Filet Mignon steaks. Dude, Marin ended up with comp's little secret marinate and then things legitimately are tender juicy motherfuckers.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: Don't know why I bleeped that out myself, but I did. Right now, Omaha Steaks is offering our listeners access to a variety of amazing packages that are perfect to send Dad for Father's Day. Go to Omaha Steaks dot com and enter the code boys Boys in the search bar. This isn't your regular typical apply coupon at checkout. In the search bar, type in the code boys, and you'll see all the great options available, many that include free shipping and a free one pound package of their perfectly cured, incredibly thick applewood smoked steak cut bacon. There are many packages available that are perfect for Dad, perfect for the old man, and they're all ready to be shipped straight to the door, right in time for Father's Day. Omaha Steaks delivers guarantee quality and safety with every order, so send Dad a gift of food that he will absolutely love with his boy or girl this year. Make fathers a simple this year and send Dad the gift he really wants perfectly. Age Omaha Steaks and get free shipping and free steak cut bacon will select packages. Visit Omaha Steaks dot com and type boys in the search bar to shot for father's day to day shout out Alma mistakes, no free shoutouts.
Speaker 3: When you first got in the lead, you just follow guys around like Staley.
Speaker 2: The Staley was terrifying my rookie year. Really, I was so intimidated by him because he's he was an eleven year vet and we were also we weren't. We went to nine and so like I think it's a vet when you're oh and nine, you don't really enjoy going to work that much. And so he was scary sometimes definitely scary. But I love Joe.
Speaker 1: Now, shout out Joe Staley.
Speaker 2: That's free. I'll give him a free shout out.
Speaker 1: Boys get free shoutouts.
Speaker 3: I was in Incinitas, California, and Joe's got a place out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And one of biggest regrets, man, he kept wanting to get together and I was like, yeah, I'm in, but I never I never did. That's tough, I know, so I I feel bad.
Speaker 1: What was your what was your learning curve like as a rookie transitioning into the league and then go from year one to year two and.
Speaker 2: Well it was awesome. So I was there. I was They drafted me, went through all the O t as Vance McDonald's a tight end. He was ahead of me, and I had like three guys ahead of me, but they just threw him with the first team reps because they were all like they were three big guys and I was just a little bit quicker latterly than they were, just like they threw them on them pass plays and stuff like that. So I got reps with the ones, but not a lot, Like I had no idea what to expect. And then I was hurt for most of my rookie camp. And then I got back like the second or third preseason game, and I had a really good game. I had a couple of catches, a nice touchdown, ran over somebody, and the next day they trade advanced to the Steelers and they're like, hey, you're going to start, and I was like sick. And then the next day after that I pulled my hamstring again, so they were a little stressed. But yeah, but then I got back for the regular season. Like my very first play of the game, very very first play ever, We're playing the Panthers, and that Julius Peppers was still there, and I was like, dude, I played with you in Like Man two thousand and seven, so sick.
Speaker 3: He's a unit dude.
Speaker 2: Oh he's a monster.
Speaker 3: We practice against them, and I remember just looking at him, like.
Speaker 2: I had a block this year, I had two pass pros. I was like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 3: We played them and I saw a picture of like me blocking him, but I was like, yea, who's the tight end walking that giant ass dude. I was like, he was engulfing me. He's It was terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my whole rookie year is basically I just got thrown into the fire and but it was fun, like if you figure it out, I was lucky, Like my tight ends. Coach is amazing, John Ember. He's an old school guy. He had Tony Gunzalez. He was in Tampa for a little bit, but his way, he did a great job of it. He took all of like whatever, coach and like he has a lot of very confusing schemes and a lot of words and all this stuff, and MBO would just break it down, like this is what you need to know. Just know that you're going left and that you're tripling to that guy Sam on the ball. You have the Sam Sam off the ball, you're trippling. Yeah, Like that was the extent of my knowledge and it's grown since theent, but like he broke it down for me, so it made it like a lot easier for him, but I definitely was. There's a lot going on.
Speaker 1: And it's important to have a good position coach because if you're like, say you're injured and you what'd you say you played Week two.
Speaker 2: Or three or whatever? Yeah, I missed, and then when you re.
Speaker 1: Injure yourself, like you know, you see it in all the rookies, like when you're young and you just get in the NFL, like you're just st because you're like you're hurt, and you're like, I know I don't need to be hurt, and I know the coaches are stressing over me being hurt. So it's like very important to have like a good like position coach that gotta be there break stuff down for you and then not, you know, not stress you out even more because you see you see it all the time with like young guys, and when I know when I'm saying, I'm just like, hey man, you know, don't don't stress as as much as you are over this stuff.
Speaker 3: And also learning the playbook. I think simplifying things as much as possible is the way it makes you play so much faster. I know, like I know the basic scheme and they'll be like heye, say there was a centator in this plan, like don't play center doesn't matter. I know where I'm going, and I know where the guard's going. I know where the tight end's going. We're solid. Take care, take care of your house first. You don't need to like I don't need to know what what routes are going on. I see to look, but hey, Tannehills is a long pass, all right, I better buckle up. Then, you know what I'm saying, those types of things, But I like that I had, like I've said Russ Gram already, but he did the same thing, like he kept thinks very simple, don't overthink it. You have this to this at the end of the sam or you're er the mic or whatever and cut this this, hey cut that guy off?
Speaker 2: Yeah, easy, okay, I can I can do that.
Speaker 4: Should look but arter okay? Is he more of a like left foot, right foot hand placement all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's very detailed, like he's I think every stage in the game that you're at a coach is good. Like if you have a coach at super vague when you're first getting in the league, it's probably gonna be a little tougher for you to develop a technique wise, especially at the speed of the game. I think Keith does a really good job of I mean, I if he hears it's fine, being very over anal about everything, like it's if your hat's not here, but you drive a guy five yards, like your hat needs to be there, and kind of being like it's kind of like a sniper, a'm small, miss small his tactics, so like even if you if you miss, you're still on the right track or anything. So I think he does a really good job. Like I still need to work with technique every single day, but especially with young guys like yeah, Nate Davis came in and being so detailed about those things he got thrown in at right guard, and towards the end of the year, you really saw him coming along with this technique with this one block and you really start to figure it out. And so I had a Bob Bostad was my first O line coach with Ken Wizon Hunt, and he did he was very much like that. But it makes you really focus on those things, and then then you got to take a second to be Okay, Nick, I know the techniques like don't focus so much on your technique for me, like get to where you know you need to be, Like sometimes you set yourself overcome some coaching sometimes, which honestly, Rabel says all the time. He's like, you guys, gotta overcome us because we're gonna we're gonna tell you to do a thousand things like simplifier for yourself. I think Rabel does a good job of standing in front of the room and he says player like, players make the players make the place. He says coaches don't do shit, which I'd give them more credit than that. But Rabel's very player forward. So I think it all depends is where you're at, where you're at in your game, based on what you need, like when when when Russ came in. I needed that guy to be like, hey, like, you don't need to know everything, simplify in your head. And once I simplified it, things got a lot faster. Things got a lot easier for me in the game. So when I go for for pass pro, you know it's third down, they're slide and right, I think myself like, okay, feet, hands, don't lean. That's all I think to myself. Make sure your feet are good, punch before you think you're supposed to punch, and don't lean. That's the biggest thing. And then every play I have like little cues to myself now for this, not just thinking, Okay, your left step, right step, you get shoppy and robotic plusure.
Speaker 4: Don't you do enough of that in practice that the muscle memory stuff. It kind of like you know, if you like you talked about track schemes, right, so if you're going down to the A or B, get whatever, you know through whatever. If it's a deuce, you know you're inside what's going on your second steps doing this based on his alignment all that, Right.
Speaker 3: Take that time in the practice to like, if I'm trying to cut off, like I have a really bad habit of stepping under myself when I go to cut off in the beg gap. Okay, so I'll stand in practice with Solly, who's our assistant online coach, and just step over a yard line over and over step over so I don't step under myself, and I still step out under myself. But it's that it's that muscle memory of trying to figure out that angler are supposed to be up.
Speaker 4: So you do it enough so you can go fast and still maintain at least enough to get the jobs absolutely.
Speaker 3: And my thing, like, I'm what you call a linear tackle, so I'm not like, I'm not a three hundred and thirty three hundred and forty pound guy, Like I'm playing ball at three oh eight between three o eight through twelve during the season, and so I have to I technique has to help me a lot, especially against bigger dude like Julius Pepper coming down the pipe. You sit your ass down, you know, so like, yeah, yeah, you got to hit down.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean.
Speaker 4: Well, working with him because he's yeah.
Speaker 3: Which is which is a good sized tight end. I mean, you're not like two seventy five ye, but bruiser.
Speaker 2: Having a sift block where trell Sugs runs through your face at full speed. Yeah, is tough.
Speaker 3: Sugs tough if you play a really athletic guy but plays like football the way football supposed to be played. Like they have the sea gaps, so they're going to stay in the sea gap. And then you got guys like Sugs, like Clowney JJ Watty, they'll do what they want to because they're athletic, have to make got they can hit that B gap and come back out and still protect that sea gap. Those are the hardest guys to play against. Suggs is definitely one of those dudes. I had like a two three two year span or like, we played the Ravens two years in a row, and I give up a sack both games, and I'm like this and he's like kind of coming off slow and he lawsy asleep and then all of a sudden, jet that B gap like and you're looking like no one blitzed on that play, like no one was covering him up.
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, You're kind of looking around like that. That was definitely me. So that's I think that's the hardest part of the NFL is when those guys start to figure out, like you know, overcome coaching, make a play. Those are the hardest guys to block for sure.
Speaker 4: Well, we're doing with some of the NFL guys. We'll be doing some online stuff next week. So if you want to shoot by Lipscomb Academy.
Speaker 3: I would love to, except for I'll be in California next week. But what are you guys doing in like April during OT I'll come by.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll be as so long as the NFL. Well, all they leave, so they'll be gone around the fifteenth April, and then they come back. So we'll have a pretty good group of guys tight ends and some line guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be around.
Speaker 1: Uh and then the summer.
Speaker 3: I think we all all summer and watched.
Speaker 1: The practice last year, remember when we went and trained it. Yeah, and they they were doing their you know, I think they had, like you guys had a whole thing going on.
Speaker 3: I get dms from like high school kids all the time, and one of the coolest things, like high school football is the best football, Like it's the It's the most fun you'll ever have in your entire life. So definitely take take the most of it because I think Like my senior year of high school, I was like, don't drink, don't do nothing, don't you know, focus on football. And got to college and it went totally backwards, totally totally flipped. But like high school is like you're with the boys, like you grew up with the boys. Like every week you're just trying to win the game. You know, it's it's all that matters.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Even if the teams like way better than you, like, there's still sound like in your mind you're like, I think we want this game bad enough, it'll be get dice in there.
Speaker 3: And it's high school ball, not everyone's always got got there. High school is the most fun you'll ever have playing football the last. I mean, NFL is awesome. College is awesome, but like nothing like with the boys you grew up with playing ball.
Speaker 2: Out to three high schools in one year. So I didn't grow up with the boys. I played with Jesus high school year, three high schools, my sophomo year high school to three high schools. You get kicked out?
Speaker 1: Would you do around?
Speaker 2: Kicked? I was that one. My dad transferred me to his alma mater high school because him and the head coach didn't agree on very much. Sure, so I went there, which is where you and I is that college Cedar Falls iol So was there, and then like five months later he had a job at Oklahoma, and so I was in Norman, Oklahoma. Really, I got there just in time for spring football. That was a new thing to me. I didn't know that was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't do spring football in the Midwest. Yeah, d we did. We did spring football.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, look at that. That's one seventy five right there, baby, speed.
Speaker 3: That's not a chance that you just get that.
Speaker 1: You just get the local schools together and play seven on seven essentially.
Speaker 2: But it was basically we got stance.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, isn't amazing when you look back at your high school film and you're like, what the fuck was this guy doing? What is your techniques? Terrible? And you thought, You're like, I got a lock down, man, dude. My first three years of high school I played nose tackle. I was terrible. I was I was absolutely off zero offers. I was like I was like six seven early. I was my height I am now early, but I was shaped like I was skinnys Yeah, dude. And then my dad wanted me to play old line and the head shop Dad, yeah, things appreciate you. And uh, the head coach at the school, I was at catch of shadows. He's like, it's not my job to get kids to college. My job was to win footballame as a high school coach. My dad walked out of that meeting and was like, you're you're leaving the school basically. So I ended up going down to Scottsdale and went to a school called Chaperel. There's this kid named Craig Row who was like the number sixty end of the league. He had twenty offers going into a senior year and I'm going into my senior year was zero offers. And I literally transferred there and within two months I had a couple offers. Then I put my two for two game films out there and ended up getting offers over that. But I had had a transfer schools too. It was it was brutal. I peaked in high school, that's yeah, for sure, Yeah, no doubt for sure.
Speaker 1: Nebraska didn't now like you just feel so dominant in high school, dude, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Everybody peaked in high school.
Speaker 1: I didn't feel like that. Well, I would say if you're Reggie Bush. Might they say, like, hey, I peaked in college because he just toyed with everybody in college.
Speaker 3: He is the best college you Like, I didn't feel like I just dominated college.
Speaker 2: We give him back his Heisman Trophy yet, I know, right, Like we give.
Speaker 3: It back to him if you if you win the Heisman Trophy and your mom got a house out of it, the house didn't win you the Heisman Trophy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I don't. I understand.
Speaker 3: And like USC doesn't even take him in. They're not. They don't even like acknowledge that he was ever.
Speaker 1: There, right, they don't talk to him nothing.
Speaker 2: The best college footble player they ever touched the field?
Speaker 1: Dude, you I would sit in middle school, Yes, yes, did you sit in I would sit in middle school and just watch this dude's highlight tape. He was the sickest college player.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 3: He was unreal. He really was. I had a weird obsession with Tebow my like, senior year.
Speaker 1: Did you need it a lot?
Speaker 3: No? No? Like that? What's that? No? I didn't, I've I'm I've been to church since I was like eight, But I like, I was a huge Tebo fan. Me my boys were all about Tea And I met Tebow coming out.
Speaker 2: That's cool, humble brag.
Speaker 3: Met the guy coming out for the draft. I was like in between the transition after the combine, kind of waiting, and he was at my high school throwing routes with Larry Fitzgerald.
Speaker 2: He's cool too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a stud. So it was a weird combination. I was like working out and then I got to meet him and I said a couple off in things about Urban Meyer and so it was a bad first impression.
Speaker 1: So why.
Speaker 2: Why'd you love Tim Tebow so much?
Speaker 3: Just like dudes with solid work ethic I'm drawn to. Yeah, No, not necessarily the man I can't get a break with.
Speaker 1: The kid had a bad person pressures, so he's got to get it back side of you.
Speaker 3: No, no, I gotta get I'm not on the Tim Tebow train anymore. But I do like I'm always drawn to people with like really good work. I think that don't think they just belong to be there, like he He had that, and that was like, that was super cool to me. That post game speech too, yeah, after the lost that was ole miss. Yeah. Oh yeah, he says a bunch of stuff. God bless and walks off. Yeah, that was pretty solid.
Speaker 2: I just always like, was it the Florida State game he was covered in like the blood? Yeah?
Speaker 3: That was Badassah.
Speaker 1: He had one of the first like high school documentaries that you're like, Yo, this dude isn't six.
Speaker 3: Yes, he loved him, thank you. Okay, so now we're back on track. Back on top I was.
Speaker 2: They had one of the most interesting teams of all time. The year they want to do the championship and that's like who they had on the TV.
Speaker 3: They had Cooper who's like saying the N word, and Hernandez he had his deal and by like a man of God. The Pouncy Brothers. First off, I love the fucking Pouncy Brothers. They are all time. They rolled together. They're I was with him in Orlando at the Pro Bowl and I was there too, Humble Bread.
Speaker 2: And he was.
Speaker 3: They were awesome.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 3: I love the Bouncer Brothers.
Speaker 1: I've heard nothing but good things about the Pouncy Brothers.
Speaker 3: They're all time.
Speaker 1: They had they had they had a school wad and they had what's funny is they had Jordan.
Speaker 2: Team Lou Murphy. He was on my team Jordan.
Speaker 1: Reid when he's healthy. Yeah, solid route runner.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Shanahan has said that he's definitely one of the best. He's he's first or second best rout running tight end. He's ever had really other one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had to go.
Speaker 2: I got No, it's not me, he tells me. I'm he said, I'm third or fourth? I was like, who the second and third guys? Just don't worry about it?
Speaker 3: Who do I watch that?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: But he also coached uh sharp Shannon Sharp?
Speaker 2: Right? So say he was part of No, I don't know. He hasn't I've been. I haven't gotten too many good stories about Shannon shup. I got to get into it. So, Mike Shanahan's at our place all the time, like watching film and stuff. Do you he's awesome. I'd like to. I'd like to sit and ask him some Denver Broncos questions. That'd be fun, No question, he's probably got some on Yes, for sure, dude.
Speaker 1: Should be some questions before before we go, questions, did you have something else?
Speaker 2: No, I'm good, go ahead, Well just and if you don't want to do it, it's okay.
Speaker 4: So, like my back studies, kind of the mental side of the game, kind of prep, visualization, all that kind of stuff. So I'm just wondering about you guys, you know, like high school, college and that, what did what did you guys do, Like, you know, as far as visualization, did you do anything more official than that all that, Because I mean George and I have worked through a whole bunch of stuff over the years. I mean I first got into it Hayden Fry was our coach at Iowa and he was a psych major and so he had us all visualizing a ton right first thing out of the.
Speaker 2: Bat, and we were awful, dude.
Speaker 4: So I'm just I'm just kind of wondering, like how important is that kind of what do you do week to week? What's a game prep for you? If you don't mind just chatting by?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that question. So in college, I playing for coach Polini, stressful. I don't know if you ever saw coach I don't know if you've ever seen it, best coach, best defensive mind. I ever been around Bo Polini, shout out Bopolini. But I would be you. You would always play. I feel like I was always out there when I when I talk about not feeling so dominant when I was in college. I feel like when I was younger, my first couple of years in college, I felt like I was always out there playing to not mess up because you wanted to please you know, Coach Bo and all the coaches, and they were so hard, you know, they coach you so hard. You were just out there playing to not mess up. Rex burke Head, Shout out Rex Burkehead. He was a phenomenal running back for Nebraska, and the way he carried himself. He was just always so confident. It every singed like he got to down on himself, like when somebody go in on him. I remember asking Rex like on the side, like, hey, is there anything you do to basically like, you know not, you know, not mind fuck yourself to playing the way you do. And he gave me a book called Mental Edge by Kenneth Baum, and that was the first book I kind of read in mental psychology going into my senior year where I was kind of like, yo, I'm basically doing everything you shouldn't be doing when I'm out here playing sport, which is like, you know what you think you become right, and so I'm thinking, don't mess up, don't missus tackle Okay, mountain space. There's a lot of space that I make this tackle and then boom, I get diced up. Coach, but you motherfucker just on the sideline, You're like, God damn it, I fucking suck and you can't shake it off. And going into Pro Day, I didn't. I went to come my guy whatever, and then uh, I was training for Pro Day and I'm so, I'm like, Okay, I'm gonna take this mental edge stuff that I did for my senior year and I'm gonna use it for Pro Day training. You know, all that combine training stuff. And because I was injured, I had a sports hernia. I couldn't I had to get wrapped every day. I could only go like fifty percent in speed drills. I couldn't squat. And I'm literally like thinking, all I have to lean on is what my trainers tell me to not do. And this mental training, this mental psychology stuff, so I would like I still have notes to this day. I was like, down, I'm gonna run a four point five to nine forty. I'm gonna do this. I'm doing all these mental training. I'm trying to like feel the turf under my fingers, all the smells, all the scouts around you holding the time watches, trying to get that stress in my mind before I go out there and run it. And fast forward to pro day. I hit all my numbers. I'm a full unbeliever on scouts are sitting in front of me showing me that I'm like a people think I'm gonna run like a four fucking nine, like completely disrespectful white guy, undrafted, all that fun stuff. But I'm a full unbeliever in the mental psychology, mental lighted stuff. So I go to the NFL, I'm doing all the same things. I'm trying to play like highlight tapes in my head of my college days. I'm trying to understand the playbook. Like for me, I got like a couple of reps a day because I was like fourth on the depth chart, practice squad guy, all that stuff, and so the only reps I got I had to be like all my shit. So, you know, playing against Shannan's offense, I would be game planning our offense in OTA's and training camp because a few players I got, I had to show out. I wanted to be loud, communicate all that stuff, and before ever practice, I'm like doing visualization and but anyway, I am a huge believer in all of that shit, big believer in all of it. The way you sew, the way you talk to yourself, the way you just put on this kind of image of confidence, and everything else, especially when you when you lay in betternite, the way you self doubt, all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm super into it.
Speaker 4: All right, just yes or no? It is fine because I know I want to hear from you. But what about do you do affirmations which it sounds like you kind of toy with them, and then do you mess around with alter ego stuff at all?
Speaker 1: Alter ego stuff? Yes, affirmations. Going into Redskins, it was I am a linebacker for the Washington Redskins. Okay, I wanted to say I'm an NFL linebacker, but my mentor, Ben Newman, shout out. Ben Newman would say, you're already You're already crutching yourself saying you're gonna if you get cut. There's thirty one other teams looking at you. He's like, you need it to be. I am a linebacker with the Washington Redskins. So I would do that. The next year would be I am a starter, but alter ego stuff.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess play around with like on you know, on game day and things like that. I'm like, I guess in my own world, but I don't like refer to myself and you're like third person unless I'm just being like funny, But you.
Speaker 4: Don't have a developed different identity that you would name or anything like that.
Speaker 1: No, that not not that I would name. I guess I mean a wolf, but I don't like really play into something. But I'm super into all that mental self talk.
Speaker 2: You say, wolf, Yeah, wolf, that's sick.
Speaker 1: Be a fucking wolf.
Speaker 2: I'm here in on that.
Speaker 3: Let's go. I've been up and down. I've been up and down the wolf thing. I mean that the way the way he put everything. I would say I've started to really do, especially the last two years. But I think the biggest thing in my game that's lacking right now is doing that consistently. So I try in the off season, I do a really good job. I read a lot, like one of the books I try to read every years, the Four Agreements. I don't know if you guys have read that book.
Speaker 2: Unbelieve.
Speaker 4: I've done a bunch of prison stuff right because my criminal defense that's one of the books i'd take in when I do the institution. Yeah, and it's it's just great.
Speaker 3: It's for me. It's always focusing on what you can control. Like if I can't control how the game's going to go, I can control like what I'm doing. I control how i can communicate with the guys. So I'll go and tell you know, I'll tell Derek if it's a you know, a play action play, like, hey, you have my outside on this, I'm gonna help the guard. I need you to be there. And so I do. I'm I'm a loud person, and so I'm always kind of talking through things.
Speaker 1: But I do.
Speaker 3: I do a lot of things during the week for my body physically. But one of those things I do is I take EPs and solt baths. Yeah, I do it twice a week. But I'll sit there for twenty minutes and I'll turn my phone off or I'll put tones on it, and I'll just close my eyes and take that like those twenty minutes just to decompress as much as I possibly can. Sometimes, you know, where my laziness gets in and I'll get on my phone. I'll start looking at Twitter or doing whatever. But the big thing. I think speaking I say I've said it a couple of times on this podcast, but like speaking to yourself positively is one of the most important things you can do because there's enough people in this world that are going to speak natively to you, especially if you're doing something that's different being in the NFL, be an entrepreneur, doing anything that's not a nine to five job sitting at a desk, you know. So that's something that I've really wanted to take more hold of. I'm doing I'm going to Sedona in April and I'm doing four days like phone off meditation, like almost a clinic.
Speaker 4: Oh, just to learn how to do this. My next question if you actually do like a daily meditation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my wife is she. I mean she went to like a yoga school when she was eighteen, like it, became a yoga instructor and was like that has been a huge Each part of our lives is like kind of being more spiritually active. So we'll go to Sedona at least once a year. I was there the week after Valentine's Day because the wedding thing I was at, but we were you know, it's crystals, it's going to you know, palm readers. I did a chakra therapy yesterday or reiki, which is the getting getting an energy bringing and all that stuff. I think, like I think the masculinity of football, it kind of will if you like buy too much into it, it'll definitely like, well I don't need to do that, Like just little me, just lift weights and eat raw meat and I'll be fine, you know that type of thing. But the mental aspect of taking everything in, taking a moment for yourself and appreciate yourself. Every time I go before a game, I get in the hot set before the game, I'll close my eyes and I'll start with my toes and I'll go all the way up to every body part and I'll just say thank you, thank you three times every single body part. I have the basic saying like thank you for allowing me to do this, thank you for you know, putting on the best you know performance you possibly can. And so that's anytime I consciously do that. My my life better is in football because I do. I'm My teammates have jokingly said I'm bipolar because all we all flip the switch and get mad and I'll get a yelling match with a coach or yelling match with a player, which is something I've tried to really tone down quite a bit, because all of that is is bad energy, and you don't you don't want to promote bad energy. You want to take bad energy. And so time and one thing, one thing I've really done since being more spiritually acting, I say that really loosely, is my friend circle has gotten way smaller. And as I as I go through this life, like I'm starting to realize, like, you know, you have to be a positive influence in my life because I have a weird obsession. Now I want to keep doing this. I want to keep going going up. And if I feel like you're dragging me down at all, like you got to work on yourself first. I'm never like, hey, you're not good enough to be with me, but you got to work on yourself to be the best person you can be for our friendship, Like Will and I talk of all the time to like for us to you know, kind of get the moment.
Speaker 2: Or down?
Speaker 3: Can you up and down? You never stay stagnant And so you know, especially like the hardest time for me is around this time of the year, maybe a little earlier. If you don't wat the playoffs, but like decompressing from football, going from a competitive state all the time, especially having a daughter that's two and a half years old. Now, it's like it's hard for me to go from football every single day being told by a coach, Hey, like you those sixty five players were good, but those are three were terrible, and you know, focusing so much on those three negative plays and then going home and being a positive dad, a positive husband, those types of things which are way more important than any football game. And so that's that's kind of like where I've had to start. Like that transition for me has always been difficult. Well, once I make the transition, I'm good, and then I get back into it in the middle of the season, so I'm It's a constant work. It's probably my my biggest weakness right now as a football player as a person.
Speaker 4: If you want an affirmation worksheet, George's got my numbers, yeah, all right, And then do you actually do visualize as in like I have all my even at the high school level, right, I have them to do we do a visualization.
Speaker 1: Before you get them in a room and lay them down and stuff.
Speaker 4: We don't do that well we do that as part of because we have yoga now. Actually my daughter, George's sister does the yoga for our school, so they do some of that. But like before each game, we'll do a visualization technique and all that kind of stuff. But I have them, I write a script out for them. They do their own personal information stuff and then the affirmations turn into their visualization technique. So you take that step one and step two. So all my tackles, they're visualizing their kickset, they're visualizing the punch. You know, they do all that in their mind if we go through all the run game in the past game. So I've give them a little script to work through and so they visualize that throughout the week. So then when we give them in the game, especially like if a blitz pick up or whatever, if they're playing somebody really good. But anyway, I just want to you know, so like actually seeing that technique.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that stuff I mean I'll do. I'll think about, I mean the day of a game, like that's all you're thinking about is how you're going to block this guy, Like what techniques you're gonna use and stuff like that. But I'll go out on the field before every game, and I'll walk my kicksets. Yeah, fact, I'll just take step backs until it feels more comfortable, and I'll do that three times at the where I'm comfortable at then I'll go a little faster and a little faster, and I'll like just start I was trying to feel my body the best I can, and then I'll go to to running you know, run blocks left, run bocks right, and kind of the basic stuff, but walking through it and then going faster and faster and faster until you get to the game.
Speaker 2: Then you're ready to do that.
Speaker 1: But that stuff is that's just proven too that science find it because your brain communicates with your body. Like they did a you know study with like golfers and free throw shooters, like people who all they did in the gym was work on free throws compared to another group that did half half free throws half mental, and then one group that was all mental and the one that was all mental came in and out performed everybody. Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy, Halo sport.
Speaker 3: It's like a it's a headphones that you put on and basically it like I guess it somehow like charges your brain in a certain way to like help you with performance when you do it thirty forty five minutes before you go and do whether it's a workout condition.
Speaker 2: No one's touched me at our facility. Yeah, for some I think we have those.
Speaker 3: They have I have. I have that, which I'm very inconsistent in using, but have used it and it really works.
Speaker 2: It's awesome.
Speaker 3: It kind of even if it's a placeive, I'm a big placeibo guy to man, it doesn't work the metal that it totally helps.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah, if you don't think it works, it doesn't work.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's it's awesome. And then there's this thing called New Calm, and the whole thing that with newcom is like it uses like you put it to your ears and you put glasses on in headphones, and it's supposed to help you reach a meditative state faster than someone that's been training you know, day like years and years to do it. So it helps you for twenty if you have twenty minutes, fifteen minutes, forty five minutes, put that on, helps you get into a minisative state, helps you wake up, helps you go to sleep, relieves anxiety, those types of things. It's it's pretty unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Nice do you do that stuff?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean we've established a bunch of things, visuals, visualizations wise. I'm big like game day, Like if it's a night game, I'll wake up, go to breakfast. When I come back, I take another nap, and then when I wake up, that's like my routine starts. It's uh like I you know the call map, it's the meditative app. Yeah, I do a calm like ten to fifteen minute meditation right there. Yeah that's a good yeah, really good, such a soothing voice. Let's all do that. And then I'm a big like my routines exact same like I do the some salt the night before the game. So I do like thirty minutes. It's actually really funny. I do twenty four minutes. And I started doing this my rookie year for Kobe. Really yeah, and I just i'd like for the Super Bowl. I looked at my I was like, oh wow, that's funny, Like what a chance like that? Actually that's why I did it was because of Kobe. But so twenty four minutes some salt bath and yeah, I did the same. I So what I used to do is I'd play. I had my game boy and I play Pokemon for twenty four minutes, like just to completely not think about football, decompressed, like let my brain relax. I watched was the Witcher, like that's what I did this past time, and then have some salt. But so I take that time to myself by studying, and I do like an hour before I go to bed, I just kind of lay there and I visital as a game the next day. And so then when I wake up, the like for me, like alter egos big for me, like the joker tattoo. I have my farm. That's a big Like that's an alter ego for me. Yeah, when I you're the joker to an extent, can we see? Yeah, so to an extent. So like in college, I had a big problem, especially early on. I think snowball. So you mess up one thing and then the next thing I do twice is worse, and then get worse and advertise I have like six bad plays in a row. And so luckily, like a sports ey, college has helped me out there like have a reset. butN so, like on my wrist tape, I drew a big red button and every time I mess up I just slap it, right, So there's like a mental that's very cool. So that's what that's how I started doing it. And then the alter ego thing. We were talking about it, and you know, really since college, like the Joker has just been cut something I've been drawn to. I've had different people like throughout college and NFL say that to me as well. So it's just kind of something I've kind of loved because it's a little bit of chaos, but you have a lot of fun doing it the whole time. And so the that kind of became my reset switch. So when I go onto the field, like if there's like fourth quarter big play, I'll you'll assume me on film, I'll slap my forearm. It's kind of my switch, like, hey, lock the fuck in right, reset? Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: I love the Joker thing. There's definitely something about the Joker that I associate with as well.
Speaker 4: That's you guys. Have you heard the Bo Jackson story. So Bo Jackson got interviewed on this kind of topic and he finally he said, you know, Bo jacksond never played it.
Speaker 2: Down in football in his life.
Speaker 4: So his story was when he was in high school, he kept getting thrown out of games. Bad you know, family, whatever's going through, and so he get bad temper and all that kind of stuff, and his coach set him down, all that kind of stuff. And then when he was in high school, he was watching Friday the Thirteenth Jason Jason, Yeah, and he he just decided that's me, Like I'm the silent killer. I need to not say anything, you know, like that method kind of methodical, just badass on the field. So then he developed his practice where he'd get to the edge before the game, he'd click his heels and then he stepped on the grass. He turned into Jason I love it. And it was a total transformation for him. He never had an the penalty after that, and that's when he said his entire career took off.
Speaker 3: Jason bo He's my favorite slasher, poor character.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 3: I love those classics. Mike Meyers, Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger I love.
Speaker 1: I mean Brian Dawkins, I mean, have you have you listened to history or I mean all the action figures and things like that.
Speaker 2: No doubt man, that stuff. Yeah, I'm a big believer in it.
Speaker 1: If you are your do your players are they gonna listen to the pod? I'll have to give him if they're listening, Hey, listen to coach Kittle. He knows what the fuck he's talking about. Right, ship down.
Speaker 2: We don't swear, we don't. You don't.
Speaker 3: We don't swear at Lipscomb.
Speaker 1: Damn it, write stuff down.
Speaker 2: Oh, those are fan questions we'll get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not gonna hit all of them.
Speaker 3: The pods are usually an hour long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this has been a solid pod.
Speaker 2: Well, you have two guests.
Speaker 1: I know this has been a surprise.
Speaker 3: Bruce m v P.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't have to say a lot. This is awesome.
Speaker 1: We need more, We need more out of them. Thoughts on your offensive pass interference in the Super Bowl. We're going down that tough.
Speaker 2: That's my thoughts on that. It's just tough. Let's watch it. Let's take a look.
Speaker 3: Good block by Staley.
Speaker 2: It's tough. It is Expenser ball. Look at that.
Speaker 1: You got a flag out there, and you're just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you pushed backwards.
Speaker 1: Uh, sure, white on white crime, dude, I don't know, Oh there it is.
Speaker 2: Yes, it.
Speaker 3: So I know that. I would say when you push, when you push the left or right, those usually get called a lot, But when you're going like pushing back, does hardly ever get called.
Speaker 1: It's right before the ball got there, didn't didn't.
Speaker 3: Rudn't have the same thing when we were and it didn't get.
Speaker 2: But it didn't get and they reviewed too. Yeah, and his was worse in the league.
Speaker 4: Let's knows, it was much worse. It was so because the dbs right there, and that you could see the dvs of Rock. Yeah, I mean, and that I wanted to get called. I'm not saying that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm all for the offense, but for the tight ends. No, that was a touchdown. I was not a PI.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's tough man.
Speaker 2: Oh you're saying Rudolph's No, I didn't get it wasn't a PI.
Speaker 3: What was the score of the game when that happened to you?
Speaker 2: I was ten to ten. It was two players before a halftime, so we would have gotten a field goal out of it. Wow. And we had the ball come out of.
Speaker 3: Half even out of bounce too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. I'm a big avoid contact, run out of bounds as fast as possible. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Fair, that's how you make your career last longer.
Speaker 2: Good for you do what you gotta do man, all right.
Speaker 1: If you had to pick one guy in the NFL to be your tag team partner, who would you pick?
Speaker 2: Oh? Wow, I haven't thought about that, Like if I really wanted to win all the time, like Trent Brown, because I had him. He's the tackle for the Raiders. Ye that's for two years. He's like six seven, three hundred and fifty pounds and he knew he moves like he's two twenty.
Speaker 3: He's a unit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I like that'd be I'd pick him because he would just pick people up and throw him around. But you know, like at the same time, like I'm an, I'm a big office the line guy, like I office lineman on my people. So that's that's why I'm giving you a hard time.
Speaker 3: No, that's fair.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that accountability.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I hate linebackers, but fair enough me too.
Speaker 1: Feelings mutual. Yeah, you guys push off all the time, clearly obviously.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You grab all the time because you can't run.
Speaker 3: Oh right, here we go, your dad come fight your fights for you.
Speaker 2: Greg, he's sixty one, hene what he wants?
Speaker 3: Sixty one? Yeah, get on you look solid. You think all the drugs in college would have got to you, but you you got away from it pretty good.
Speaker 4: I can't remember very much, but I can go pretty good.
Speaker 1: Are you going? Do you see yourself? Are you wanting to be in? Like the WWE when you get down with the ball?
Speaker 2: I love WWB like I love wrestling. I like the entertainment side of it. Like one of my favorite parts is they're on like so like that people want to see us once a week for seventeen weeks out of the year, right Like WWE, these guys wrestling in front of fans four or five days a weeks, like they're getting criticized or like they're performing five six days a week year round, and so I just like appreciate their work ethic and how much they go through like to get to the biggest stage. Like for example, like the head grower now, Becky Lynch, she's like super famous to the man and all this stuff. She was in WWE back in the balls at two thousand and two, two thousand and five, but she's been like grinding for fifteen years and she's finally getting recognized. So like I respect that. Like then you said you expect guys that work hard, So yeah, I love WWE. I've been in the ring like three times and I got to do a stone Cold stunner on a guy in the middle of a match, and it was one of the most It was probably in front of seventy five people, and it's one of the most exhilarating things I've ever done.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 2: As soon as I did it and like the crowd exploded, seventy five people, I was like, I get why people do this. Like, my buddy's an independent wrestler, and he gets he'll drive from Iowa to Maryland to Texas to Florida and he'll get pale make like one hundred and fifty bucks from the match, but it's just the experience going to do it, and he just loves doing it. So yeah, right there, Yeah, stone could stunner.
Speaker 1: That's your profile pick, isn't it.
Speaker 2: And that's my buddy on the left. That's her independent wrestler. He played fullback at Iowa.
Speaker 1: Have you met Stone Cold yet?
Speaker 2: I've not met Stone Cold. He's tweeted at me. I've had a couple of conversations with him. Met the Rock at Super Bowl. I know how sick was that? I almost fainded? That was really really I didn't. I did it. I'm a big fan of it, are you? I mean right, it's all right, I'm a.
Speaker 1: Fan and he he posted about you too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will like. Losing the Super Bowl is one of the worst experiences I've ever felt in my entire life. But the Rock posting a photo of me saying, hey, like I'm a big fan. That helped a little bit.
Speaker 3: That that had to help a little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 1: Do you have are you gonna? Does the w W like reach out to you to come on now that you're George Kittle.
Speaker 2: A little like if they're in town, they'll be hey, do you want to come to the show? Like, like, I gotta go ring side during our bye week, which is just you know, half my chance. And that was that was awesome. Uh. I go to Wrestlmanting with my dad and my buddy Manders for the last two years. We're going to Tampa this year. That will be a fun one. You know, we'll see if I can. Oh yeah, last two years. It's an absolutely like we're in New York class and during w like on Sunday, no chance, they don't. They won't let me touch that. But we'll see what, you're the new Gronk. But he's Gronk.
Speaker 3: He is Gronk, He's Gronks and beauty.
Speaker 2: He's awesome.
Speaker 1: What would your wrestling name be?
Speaker 2: See? I get asked that all the time. I think that restling him is not something that you choose. It just comes you naturally. And it hasn't come to me naturally yet. So I'm just gonna I'm gonna wait till till it hits me right in the face.
Speaker 3: God, I can't wait. I can't wait for that day.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a beautiful, beautiful, like coming out of cocoon.
Speaker 3: God. Yeah, butterfly, finally, I'm a butterfly. Let's do one or two more. What do you guys got?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: I wanted to where I mean, we're too far along. I wanted to ask about the father son writing the letters because I sort of got I was sitting I was sitting in my beautiful extended say in Oakland, California, and leg I teared up. I teared up on that segment because I just thought the whole father son thing was pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm going to you want to go to Yea? So my dad when was coach at Oklahoma, they had a linebacker who passed away awesome box. But so he was a part of that. And we found out his dad wrote him letters for every single one of his games, like his whole life. And so I was going off to college and you know, again, as a college student, your communications keep your communication skills are very low, like I hardly talked to my parents and all that stuff because I was doing other things. So he thought it was a good idea, like, hey, I'm gonna write you a letter before your game. So starting my red shirt freshman year, so the year after I read shirted and I was actually suiting up a little bit, he wrote he would write me a letter for every game. And they've evolved, like back in college. It was like he gave me a scout and report, like hey, when we played him back in nineteen seventy nine. This is so it was like a little history last seon the record for the whole like you know the last twenty years, what the trophy means, like I mean, but then you give me a little breakdown like who their best players, all that stuff, and you know what's evolved, and a lot of it has gone with like the visualization stuff. I can't say that would to save my life, but yeah it is, and it's it's just kind of growing from that. Like like the NFC Championship game, the letter was like thirteen pages long, which that's why I read before right like right when I get to stateum, I'll read that. That's just like for me, it's one of those mental cues, Like it's like one of my first cues when I get to the stadium. It's like, all right, lock in, we're playing football. Like the letters just kind of like one of my part of my checklists. But it's definitely something that's the reason that we've been able to stay so close. And then I was at college, it was awesome too because you give me like you know, fatherly advice like hey, you know, maybe do this, not do that. But just always awesome because I have you know, my dad's my best friend, and I have his voice with me on every single game day, which is pretty special.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's been great. Like I had a little separation issue in taking off.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 4: So I was coaching ball, so I mean we're you know you and all that kind of stuff is so it just gave me a way to kind of connect and try to encourage him to make good choices and be a good player and all that kind of stuff. And like you said, it's kind of evolved over the years. I don't have very much football stuff I can tell him anymore, you know what I mean. So it's all good. But it's been really fun just staying connected that way, and it's a thing. And I kind of enjoyed the Robbers and love the NFL game.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: It's just like once when he got drafted, like we've been to a field and we was went to a Bears game and all that kind of stuff, and or go up to Green Bay. I took him up there a few times when we lived in Wisconsin. But I love going to the different stadiums, and you know, I just love the NFL crowd. You know, there's just like it's a Sunday. There's sixty five seventy five thousand people just ready to let it loose. And it's adult entertainment. It's not quite Vegas, but you know what I mean. Yeah, I like it so much better than the college game. And its just and the players are just you know, every team you can you know, you might be six and whatever. But I mean everybody's good, you know, all the players are good, and and I just appreciate how freaking hard it is to win. You know, you got to show up.
Speaker 2: At the league is built for eight and eight it is, yeah, I mean it is.
Speaker 4: And to get above eight and eight it's hard. It is really hard. It's hard to win every week. So it's just uh, and so this year was really special. But yeah, just being a little bit of part of that.
Speaker 2: He only missed one game this year really really and it was because he had a Friday night. We were played Thursday night in Arizona and he had a game Friday. He couldn't go in my high schall team.
Speaker 3: So, but how do you feel about it? Like your son reaching the star power he has. It's such a short time in the NFL, Like what's that mean.
Speaker 2: To you as a parent?
Speaker 4: You know, it has just been such a wild rush last three years. I mean we've kind of chat about it because you know, at Iowa was kind of you know, whatever catches he had and all that kind of stuff, and then he got hurt his senior year and then combine stuff, you know, I got invited, thank goodness, and all that, and then he performed pretty well, but then draft night was a little bit disappointed honestly, you know, I mean, fifth rounder and all that. So but grateful to be drafted, you know, like you said, and all that, and then having no idea if he'sn't even going to make the team. So it's not like you're happy, but like what you never know. Yeah, and then they trade vance McDonald about two weeks before the season starts, and then he's a starting dude. And then it was just like crazy, and so that year was all learning. And then year two when he broke the you know reception the yardage directord for tight ends, I was just over the top. I mean, it's just great. So you know, we come from you know, I keep thinking back to his senior years six three hundred and eighty five pounds, and you know, he was the last scholarship offer to Iowa. You know, we got a call the day of signing date. So just just the whole ride has been incredible. So I'm, you know, really proud of him for the hard work you put in. And I guess you know the other thing too, is elected captain last year, and I think that's a big deal just you know, is connection to the team and all that. So I'm just grateful we're riding the wave and know it's a short ride and just being grateful and appreciate it every day. And yeah, trying to make the most of it and keep his head on straight and feed on the ground. And he did his leg work today, which was I told him it's like putting a quarter in the piggy bank every time you do another squad, you know what I mean. So anyway, it's all good. So we're just we believe in the process and love the game and grateful to be part of it.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: That is awesome.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Let's have bloss Is obsessed with the forty nine ers. Bo, that's the last question. You can have one question you don't want to ask your dude, don't act like I mean you you always right to ask a question. I'm saying, like, instead of reading one more question, you get the question since you're you're a forty nine ers guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't even think about it before I came on here.
Speaker 2: Did you walk in late? How did you get on the boss? I have a key to the back door.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's like, yeah, yeah, back door big, backdoor guy big.
Speaker 1: Would you rather just read one then?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, in awe, what do we have?
Speaker 2: Don't ask me anything about the combine? I don't know. No, that's stupid.
Speaker 1: With the hard is that you take any of those you want to read? Keep scrolling? Do we have any more?
Speaker 3: Cape got to that it was better hair.
Speaker 2: Georgia Taylor Hawks for Life eighty nine.
Speaker 1: Hawks for Life eighty nine. I know what George Taylor les.
Speaker 2: It's the Seahawks. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 2: So I say like, I'll say go Hawks. And then on my Niners Twitter followers, are you kidding me? Like, oh, yeah, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, went to Iowa, folks, where's your record against Michigan?
Speaker 2: One in one? I didn't play an either game. Yes, I was yeah Richer, Hey we beat him? What were they rick number too? Yeah? They came into kinnick Stadia night game ball was super pumped, they're gonna win and under it was a rep. Was he a walk on freshman kicker kicked it through the uprights for the win. He's a monster?
Speaker 3: Yeah that's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys lost.
Speaker 3: That's weed, weed and I was in the NFL. You're a part of so I was.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I will say like one of my biggest, one of my favorite things is so I'm in the NFL. But I will like curb stopped Ohio State my second year. I think that of my rookie year, like fifty five to twenty four. So then we got Bosa, so almost weekly, I'm like, hey, Bolsa go Hawks, Like it.
Speaker 3: Sucks due how about the Boa brothers. They're like robots.
Speaker 2: I got to hang out with Joey came to the Vikings game. Yeah, and so then he, uh me and the two Bosas hung out after that. They were fun, like they're they're insane.
Speaker 3: The wild I saw the dad yeah no way, Yeah, he was walking. It was like Joe Thomas was there too. Yeah, and I was like, Joe, this is this place is way which is white red neck for you. Why they were just trying to get a beer. We're going to go get a beer nowhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just want to beer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a wild time. Well, bozzn't have a question. Man, We appreciate you coming on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, Well this is super awesome.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: I love the element too of dad, and just right out of the gate too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I'm sure was your was your dad?
Speaker 1: Were you loud in the stands when he was growing up playing ball?
Speaker 2: Well, he was coaching, like.
Speaker 1: He said, Yeah, I know you see him.
Speaker 3: No, no, George, you probably get that look and know when he's got to get his you know, asked when he gets home. Yeah, yeah, what do you What are you most mad about? Drop catches, penalties, game, run game?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, bad hands, bad footwork.
Speaker 4: I thought I thought he's gonna be an offensive lineman, right, so I mean I played ot and uh.
Speaker 2: You know, so I mean respect I had.
Speaker 4: I had the small little kid size blocking, you know, and he was doing mere dodge and punch drills ever since he was in fifth grade. Really, oh, because I thought he's for sure to go to alignment. So it's like, you know, in the whole moving guys and so like, you know, I think mostly you know, he pretty early on, but like you know, his first few years and I will work a little bit taxing because he didn't take the game very seriously.
Speaker 2: And he didn't I enjoyed myself.
Speaker 4: He didn't work as hard as he should have. So but you know, other than that, overall though, he's embraced the grind and he's been a guy that's invested, So that's all been pretty good. But yeah, we're learning to deal with him being a tight end rather than an offensive tackle. But it's it's okay. There's some disappointments in life.
Speaker 2: You never saw this, dude, my fifth grade there's some disappointments. Yeah, my fifth grade foot at your.
Speaker 1: Mom, like, why you this is obviously you.
Speaker 2: Literally fifth grade football team. He was our first day of padded practice, my first year of tackle football. And he has his speech where he has a whole team, we're about to do mere dodge drill, right, just shuffle like fallow footwork, offs line, passet and before he started, goes, hey, look, all of you are going to aspire to the offensive lineman, but not all of you will be good enough, Like offense line is the pinnacle of football. Position is and none of you Like He's like, there's gonna be five of you that can play it, and then a lot of you are gonna have to play other positions and that's okay, but just know that you're kind of a disappointment.
Speaker 3: He said that, Yeah, serious, I was the only one I was like no.
Speaker 2: I was like no. I was like I'm playing running back, Like no, no, You're not gonna get me.
Speaker 3: With true disappointment to a father literally, so you had.
Speaker 2: Like like that's tough. That's not The undersized kids in fifth grade, like you put them at corner because they're so small they they'll get hurt. They were trying out for like left guard because they're like, I'm gonna be the best office lineman ever, and you're like, what the heck I had to move.
Speaker 4: I had to move a center to a quarterback right, and like he didn't.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, that's the thing too, Like POPWORNI. That kind of put the kids that are like a you're an office lineman, play wanting to play it.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 3: That's good your psychology coaching. That's good coaching.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you, guys, man, thank you for coming around.
Speaker 3: Appreciated Bust the.
Speaker 1: Boys, guys, gals, people of all ages, Appreciate you so much for tuning in to another episode of Busting with the Boys. If you haven't yet, please subscribe to the episode on Apple, podcast, Spotify, whatever platform you're on.
Speaker 2: We're on there.
Speaker 1: We have a YouTube channel, Busting with the Boys. We would love if you subscribe there as well. If you are subscribed and you want to be more for the boys, unsubscribe and resubscribe. Again, it sounds funny and stupid and kind of obnoxious, but all of your subscriptions and resubscribing and stuff, it helps in these little algorithm games for climbing charts. Because again, we were very organic you guys. Where we're at is because of you guys, so we like to keep it fucking organic and just from us, dude to us versus the world. But we really do we really appreciate your guys' support. A few of you had questions about merchandise. You can go Our merchandise store is on Barstool Sports. Go over to shop and we are under the brand Busting with the Boys. You can find all of our gear there. We restart constantly. Now, if you guys have any ideas, shout us out. If you guys buy the gear, shout us out. We really do love and you guys talk back to us, add us, mention us, put us on your stories, tag us all that fun stuff. We like grabbing that stuff and putting in our YouTube episodes, and again, we just love it.
Speaker 2: Man. We love you, guys. We appreciate you so much.
Speaker 1: Keep being for the fucking boys, Keep being a wolf. The biggest of hugs and the tiny stuff kisses. We love you, We appreciate you. Tune in next week for another episode of Busting with the Boys.
Speaker 3: Pull the drugs stops Falcons