Speaker 1: This video is brought to you by DraftKings Sports Book. The NBA season is in full swing and you can get into the action at DraftKings. Check out DraftKings parlays and same game parlays where you can combine multiple bets from the same game for a shot at an even bigger payout. So download the DraftKings app now. You can use promo code Bullyball when you sign up. All one word be u l y ball. You can do it. I know you can do it. Only a DraftKings sports book. The crown is yours. Welcome to Bullyball, presented by DraftKings. I'm Rachel Nichols. That's DeMarcus Cousins and Buggie. You're still under thirty five, so I assume that means you went out for New Year's unlike us over thirty five people who are like, you know, what better to drink with friends at home?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's definitely coming to a and for me, you know, just being out in party and doesn't quite hit the same.
Speaker 3: So I'm in the lag of my life.
Speaker 1: So the alcohol tastes the same at home, it's cheaper and you can they don't. There's no closing time. So I'm I'm just throwing that out there if as many people over as you want, all Right, we got to talk a little Nicks and Raptors since they had that great deal over the last few days. The new players they swapped with each other played on Monday, and we got a good showing from Oji and Anobi obviously the main talent in that deal. Now, he did foul out of the game, but his numbers were good seventeen points, six rebounds, and the Knicks beat the Minnesota Timberwolves, number one team in the West, so that was no slouchy either. Obviously, everyone in the East is chasing the top three, right They're chasing Boston, they're chasing Milwaukee, they're chasing Philly. So did the Knicks trade with how good they looked? And it's been one game, but still, do you feel like this is the kind of deal that could vault New York into that top group B competition for the top teams in the East, or that they're still like maybe a player away.
Speaker 2: I think they're a player away. I don't see this deal really putting them over the top or you know, kind of reaching that goal into being a top three team in the east. I think this is a move with another move coming behind it type situation, and I like, I like the addition of Og. You know, he fits, he fits the team, he fits what you know, Coach Tibbs is looking forward this player or two way player. He kind of reminds me of I could see him being in a like lou All Dang type role where you know, he's a part of a big part of the offense and obviously heavily depended on on the defensive end.
Speaker 3: It just makes sense.
Speaker 2: But as far as just putting the knicks over the hump, I don't think this move does it, but it does kind of make sense where or you can see where they're gonna make another move to kind of complete eat out this roster. What that move is, obviously we don't know yet, but I think they're in the right direction with improving his team. So Og, like I said, he faced the mole perfectly. He's gonna, you know, be a defensive anchor on this team. He can he can make shots for this team outside, he can finish on the inside. So you know, it was a good addition, but they definitely have to make one more move to you know, put this team over the top of my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally agree. I mean it's it's hard. I mean, those top three teams in the East are so good, right, and they're very star heavy, and you just still don't have that in New York. There's of course always the Donovan Mitchell rumors, but it doesn't sound like Cleveland is ready to you know, talk deal for him yet. So I don't know if they'll sort of hold off for the rest of this season and see how they do. I don't know if they're going to try to make another deal with the deadline, but I think they do have to make something. I do agree though, on og and nanob He is just the perfect TIBs player, right, I mean he does all the things that wants a player to do. I think then the fans of the Garden are going to like him because he's got great he defends, you know that sort of stuff. So I like I like the deal. I actually liked the deal for both sides. I think I think it was sort of a win win trade, which is good. I personally wouldn't have you know, Look, Messiah Jiri is obviously a master at all this, and he pulled off one of the gutsiest trades ever to get Kawhi Leonard and win the title.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So, like, I am not one to sit here with none of that level of expertise and criticize his decision making. But I was surprised that they didn't do these kinds of deals last year, right. I mean, it just didn't feel like they were in any kind of, you know, spot where they could be like, yeah, man, it's gonna all come together after the deadline. We're a contender, and you could have gotten more for og and Anobi, who's on an expiring contract. You could get more for Pascal Siakam, who is you know, probably the next step on the trading block. He's also on expiring contracts. If you traded them last year, you'd think kind of like Kyle Lowry not dealing him and then watching him walk away, Fred van Vliet not dealing him, watching him walk away. But I assume there's a method to the madness. They got good young players back, which I know is really important. Last year at the deadline it was sort of all the buzz was draft picks for og and Andobi, draft picks, and I don't know if they want draft picks I think they want someone to be next to Scottie Barnes, and Emmanuel Quickly is going to do a good job of that. So I don't know. We'll have to see how it works out for them. They're obviously going to be doing a bit of rebuilding. But it does raise a big question about Pascal Siakam. You know where he's going to end up. Which team needs him the most? I think the rumored candidates. If we take a look, you've got Pacers, Hawks, Mavericks. People have thrown Sacramento in there. I don't know where do you think the best fit for him would be?
Speaker 3: Obviously the Mavericks.
Speaker 2: I think he'll fit in great with that team with Luke and Karrie, you know, kind of run them and show him being at third dopplement piece. Obviously that fits well on paper. I could see him, you know, sliding into like an OKC type team and kind of completing out there roster.
Speaker 3: Put him next to Check.
Speaker 2: I've spoke on that before, but I think the sleeper team is Sacramento. They're kind of struggling at that four spot, you know, getting consistent production, so sliding him in with that young team that likes to run and Gun. I think he fits in perfectly with that team. I think I think they get a lot better. It feels a void that they're missing right now. It gives a young kid he can marry, more time to develop and become the player that they want him to become for the future. So I think it's a good plan and it's not as much pressure on the young fellas. So put it next to Dan Fox. You got my league Monk coming off the bench. I think that's a really good team. So I think Sacramentos that sleeper team that could you know, come in and add a piece like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're only kind of mildly being talked about in the sweepstakes, and I think you're right. I think they could make a move. So we'll see. I mean the risk with both of these guys is they're both on expiring deals. I mean Ogannobi his agent is Leon Rose's son, by the way, A little backroom, backroom conversations there. So I don't know if at the Christmas dinner table there is some chatter about whether he would sign a long term deal with the Knicks or not. Maybe they made that deal already knowing the answer to that question. I will say that the Sixers want exactly the kind of player that og Anobi is, and the Sixers will have a lot of money this summer. So I don't know. We'll have to see, you know, if Sam Rose is a good son to lean Rose to down what og wants. I don't know. But Pascal Siakam has none of that going on, and he really seems like he's going to explore the market as a free agent this summer. So that's to me the only sort of hiccup with which team he ends up going to. You know, I think some teams might decide, hey, we have confidence can resign him. You know, it's worth the risk, and some teams are going to feel like I'm not giving up that much, and Toronto's going to just take the best deal. So it'll be interesting, I think there. You know, we'll have to see. Right In fact, I think there's a great conversation to have because we're into January now, this is crazy. The season has gone by so fast, but we are actually five weeks away from the trade deadline, Miss bunkers, right, it's coming up so soon, and we wanted to take a look at some of the teams what they need stuff like that. So we're going to do the West this week. We'll do the East next week. I think I put on your West thinking cat buggy. I want to start with the Warriors because I think they are the team most in need of a shakeup here. Steve Kerr said yesterday that the team lacks quote, grit, which I thought was interesting. He talked about them just on the floor, needing to play for each other more and more teamwork, that kind of thing, which I think is a pretty interesting thing for him to say out loud to the met And obviously there's been you know, it just hasn't been right on the court this year. Steph Curry wants to play three or four more years. He wants to win another title. I think you got to do. You know, he's a generational player. I don't think I think you trade the farm if you need to for him to give him another good team personally. But the question is you got to trade something out And I don't know, but you played on that team. You were inside the mechanics of that team. Can they trade one of the core players there's the threesome. You're not trading staff obviously, but would you trade drama. Would you trade Clay? Will the Warriors still be the Warriors if they do. Clay's on an expiring deal, what would your move be.
Speaker 2: My answer to that is no, you can't try. You can't try, draymah uh. This core group is what made the Warriors the Warriors. And what I mean by that not only bringing in the four championships, but Joe Lacup didn't increase the value of his team because he just bought the team. Those three guys are a huge part of the reason that this team is value the way it is, and I think it would be a complete slap in the face if you deal any one of those guys. I think it's just it has at the end of the day, with this Warriors team, it has to be they have to leave out with respect, and I think those three guys are due that respect to where they could play for one organization to ride off in the sunset when they feel they're ready to do so. Like I said, none of this exists without these three guys. And if you sit there and overlook it and act like it didn't happen or they're not the reason for this, that's just complete bullshit. So no, I don't think anybody should be traded, and I'm gonna go out on a limb saying this, but it just makes sense to me, and I look at the complete picture and not just parts of it. Obviously, dre Mine is in the you know, headlines for you know, the antics as of lately.
Speaker 3: But I still feel like.
Speaker 2: That's been overblown as well, because I spoke on the last week or the last show, and this is something that was enabled by the NBA. They allowed this to happen. They allowed this behavior. And maybe it was because the Warriors were dominating the league. They were this championship team or contender every single year.
Speaker 3: For the past decade.
Speaker 2: So maybe that's the case, and it's okay then, But my whole thing is when it comes to Draymond, it was enabled before and now that he's and when it was enabled before, it was labeled, you know.
Speaker 3: Passionate the heart of the team.
Speaker 2: Right This word of looking for grit was never mentioned before, and now that they're in these losing situations, you know, he's the villain. He's the reason that, yeah, you know, they're not finding success, and I think that's bullshit. And on top of that, like I said, I'm going out on a limb saying this. We go back to, you know, the previous summer, we watched Team USA. They struggle and there's no reason for that. And it's only one common denominator in that equation, and that's Steve Kirk. Maybe it's time for Maybe it's time for new leadership in this Warrior's life.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's time.
Speaker 2: And the reason I say that even the Apple, even Apple iPhone gets an update, you know what I mean. So it's time for the Warriors to update this team and a new identity, a new system, something to get this core group over the hump. And I was a part of this organization. I know, I know the mood. I know how they carry themselves. It's super laid back, it's super you know, lackadaisical.
Speaker 3: It's very nonchalant.
Speaker 2: And obviously they get their work done, their professionals and all of these things. But these were the standards that were set in place for this team, and it starts with the leadership with the Steve Kirk. Now we're looking for some urgency now with this team to get them back in their rhythm. And like I said, maybe it's just time for a new leadership, you know what I mean, And I think that's an option for them.
Speaker 3: Obviously.
Speaker 2: I feel like it could still work if they put the right pieces around this core group and they can still make this system that Steve Kerr put in the place flourished. But as of right now, that's just not the case. So I think looking for new leadership should be an option that's on the table for this Wargas team.
Speaker 1: Look, it's a totally fair thing to bring up one hundred percent. I would quibble a little bit with the Olympic thing, with the tm UOSA thing. I don't think Tmosa did so well in the end because they just didn't have the players. I mean, the team is going to look totally different in Paris this summer. We didn't have our best players there, so I'd hold off on bad But but I look, you don't think so why you think they should have with the B team? They should have beaten the rest of the world.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, there's no excuse for it.
Speaker 2: Like we've seen this time and time again, we haven't always gone to these tournaments with the best players in the league and we've still been successful. So why all of a sudden now is it the players fault.
Speaker 3: This is the top league in the world.
Speaker 2: We can all agree on that these are some of the most talented young players coming up in the top league in the world. What's the excuse for not bringing it home? There is no excuse.
Speaker 1: Well, you have very good on either side. Now, we made the rest of the world good at basketball. It's our own problem. It's our own fault. We brought the dream team over there, and you know it's fonde to hold two generations of players at this point and the other teams are good. I don't know when Austin Reeves is one of your top players. Is that that tb to go into international competition?
Speaker 3: And that's the problem.
Speaker 2: Austin Reeve shouldn't have been He shouldn't have been the focal point of the Team USA team.
Speaker 3: It should have been Anthony Edwards. That's the point.
Speaker 2: And it's one common denominator that made that an okay think, and that's Steve or Steve Kerr put Austin Reeves in the position to lead to lead Team USA. That's foolishness, and that's the point. I'm trying to make. Some decisions just aren't right right now, and that's one of them.
Speaker 3: Like I just I disagree with that.
Speaker 1: The Warriors. The Warriors, this is a team that was doing well under Mark Jackson, right, you had Steph and Clay really start to come into their own. He's the one who decided to put them in the positions they were in, play them together really, you know, give them the confidence and power to do what they want. Did and yet they did make a change, right, So there is precedent within that organization to even when it's not a disaster, even when there's a coach that is well liked. I mean, Steph did not want Mark Jackson to be let go. He's said that many times, including to me in an interview this fall. Like he he was very skeptical about bringing Steve cor in. He liked the way Mark Jackson ran the team, and it turned out to work out really well, obviously, you know historically. Well, so what you're saying is not off the table. I don't think at all the idea that this organization is not afraid to make that kind of level of change even when it's not a disaster, right that they must just say great, it might just be time for a new voice. I think that the biggest thing they have to do is have a conversation with Clay Thompson because his deal is up this summer and he is you know, there's been noise from you know, around him, from his agent whatever, that he doesn't want to take that much of a pay cut of what he could get on the open market, and the Warriors cannot pay him what his full value would be on the open market with all the other financial commitments they have on that roster. So I just think you have to know, you know, everyone knows what the numbers are, so you have to know from Clay are you walking out the door anyway in three months? And if he says yes, you know, then you've got to consider dealing him. You know, just talking about this with Toronto with some of their players. If you know, he indicates, if the agent indicates, and you know, you're not supposed to be able to negotiate with your own players right now. Sorry NBA rules people, but I you know, I'm not a fan of tampering rules anyway. I think they're kind of stupid because players are smart and they know what's out there already. So it's not like some team is going to be like, hey, did you know that we have a we have a needed center and we have this much money on the books. Obviously they know that already. But that's that's beside the point tampering within your own team. I mean, come on, I just I have no problem with the Warriors having a conversation with Clay and saying, what are your plans? You know, very quietly if they have to. But I just think that I think that's the big question mark, right because if he's going to leave anyway, I think you get to deal him and then you're not really disrespecting him because he was going to walk out the door anyway. If he wants to stay for you know, a little less money or in some might end up being a chunk of less money, then he could get out in the world. Then then maybe you do keep them together. But it is a question, I mean, do you do you do the respect? Do you do the Hey, we got to keep this core and possibly cost Steph Curry another title, or do you say, great, we got to change and you know, Steph is the guy who's going to be here for twenty years. But you know, look at Kobe's teams, there were there were some big changes to that roster. They're the biggest with Shaq, you know, between different championships, so maybe they have to do something. I don't know. I think it's a huge question. I don't think Steph plays as well without Draymond. We've seen that since he's been off the court, and I'm not sure how much value Draymond has on the trade market right now anyway. But Clayton me is the question mark. And you look the questions you raised about Steve or Violet. Don't have to see what they want to do there. I don't see them doing anything mid season though, so that's no, it's kind of another yeah, yeah, So I know it's an interesting it's an interesting discussion. It's an interesting problem going on there with a murky team. So I don't know. Chris Paul obviously, Andrew Wiggins question marks there too. We'll see. We've got to talk to little Suns because this is not what we all expected. They're eighteen and fifteen now, they have won their last four, so maybe they're getting into a little bit of a groove here. But Bradley Beal still only played nine games. Do they have to make a move. Should they just stamp at and see where their team is? You know they can't. They don't have a ton of flexibility financially, but they could pull off something. What are your thoughts there.
Speaker 2: I think it's unexcusable. I think they have a great coach and Frank Vogel. They obviously have two great players in their core pieces with you know, Devin Booker and Kevin Durant.
Speaker 1: So yeah, this.
Speaker 2: Record is just it's really no excuse for obviously Bill hasn't hasn't been present with the team most of the season, but uh, obviously with booking Durant's it's really no reason to be struggling this much. It still should be where they're having a successful season. But uh, I think it just goes back to roster construction. I don't think this roster was put together the correct way, and it's and it's kind of mind blowing to me that, you know, we're now in this era of basketball where it's a guard driven league and you decided to tell yourself, we don't need a point guard to win games.
Speaker 3: It's just it baffles me.
Speaker 2: And I know we're also in this era of where Anna Lis leads sports to where you know, it's not about when it comes to constructing the team it's not about you know, every piece complement the next. It's about well, these numbers work well with these numbers, so this is a good team. That's that's bullshit. That's not how sports work. That's that's not how teams work. It was just poor construction and you got money locked up in three guys to where you can't really put the compliment pieces around those three guys. So in this case, I believe where Phoenix should really look into it if they want to move forward with Bradleybil or use him as an asset to bring in the correct pieces to make this team flourish. So I believe they should explore the trademarkt with Bradley Bill and bring in some pieces.
Speaker 3: To put around.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's interesting his value that he's been hurt so much. I don't know where his value is. I mean, to me, I'm surprised that you bring up the point guard thing. I actually think Folk is doing a fine job there. I think the problem is the big man situation, which I thought was expected to hear from you. I mean, they need to bulk that up. They need someone who is better defensively than what they have now. I've heard Isaiah Stewart's name mentioned out of Detroit. You know, the Pistons obviously not having a good season, to put it mildly, looking to possibly shake things up, I actually think they should take a really hard look at Andre Drummond. You know, a name that that maybe we didn't expect to resurface at this point, and the Bulls have obviously not had a great season either. But he is on pace to break Dennis Rodman's rebounding percentage record, which is insane to me because that record was considered untouchable when Dennis said it, and he is on right now. He is sitting at thirty percent of available rebounds, which I mean think about that. I mean, think about all the balls that you went for great, I mean, thirty percent of all available rebounds to him is bonkers to me. I mean, that's that's huge, And to me, that's exactly what Phoenix needs. You know, if you had that position defensively locked up, if you had the basket locked up there, they don't need another shooter. They don't need to me, they don't need another guard. They need someone who's in that spot to basically get the rebound and get one of those guys the ball up the court in the place they needed. If you had someone feeding Kevin Durant and d Book every time, you know, fifty percent more of the time than they have now. I just I think that would be a huge thing for that team. You know, there's some guys. The question is the contracts. Obviously, I don't know if they could make Drummond work financially, but I just man, that number jumps out to me.
Speaker 3: Man, shout out to Drumming.
Speaker 2: I'm just glad he's able to find success in this era of where they're trying to push bigs out. So shout out to drum for fine in no way, But uh, I don't think drums the answer to this same either.
Speaker 3: Honestly. I go back to them.
Speaker 2: Really looking into trade and Bradley Beal, and I think the perfect trade would be them looking into Atlanta trying to you know, Pride to Johntay Mary and possibly Clint Capella, and I think those I like that compliment this team perfectly, and you get you get the defense, a big at the rim, and you get a defensive guard that can also set up the offense and run the offense the proper way. I think it just creates a balance throughout that whole roster that they haven't had this season.
Speaker 3: So I don't think it's just I just don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's just about the big having a defensive big, because it still goes back to.
Speaker 3: The balance of the team, and I just don't think it's there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well, look, they basically gave away the farm for Kevin Durant, which I wasn't against. I mean, it's Kevin Durant, and I think putting him next to Devin Booker is just crazy, but crazy opportunity. But I do think that they I expected them to do more of the summer. They didn't. You know, Degenta Murray is very interesting, especially if he came with Capella. He certainly has not thrived in Atlanta the way we expected, so you know, change of scenery and playing with those two guys could be huge for him. I like that possibility. We'll have to see what they do. The Lakers, certainly, if we move on to them, need to do something book I feel like for the last six weeks, that's all anyone's talked about, is which particular play around the Bulls will the Lakers trade for. We talked a little bit last week about you know, is it better for them to go for Alex Cruso, Is it better for them to go to Demart de Rosen Is it better to go to Zach Levine. I know you said you like the Rosen route and Cruso. If they can get both of them offensively. Having zach Levine there, it's very appealing. It's very appealing to have him next to those guys. I don't know they play a game against the Bulls. I think here in Los Angeles toward the end of January. I think that's gonna be crazy, right to know that one of those guys could be switching uniforms just a week later. But do you think that one of those Bulls players is still the answer to of them?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Or do you want to look elsewhere for the Lakers?
Speaker 2: Just the combination of Caruso and de ros and I just I feel like it compliments that Lakers roster perfectly. You get Caruso to guard you know, every high power guard that comes in on a nightly basis, you have the rows and that's that third scoring option where you know you're going to get consistency scoring on a nightly basis And On top of that, when it comes to de Rosan scoring, something that's not really looked at is his playmaking ability. That's something that he's really developed in the later stage of his career and it started with him in San Antonio on the pop. That's something that they really focused on with him, you know, being more of a playmaker. So you add that combination to this Lakers team, I think it's I think it helps this Lakers team a lot.
Speaker 3: Levine.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously it looks good on paper, but you know, I'm more about how pieces complement the next And you know, outside of Levine being a score, I just don't think it covers every other you know, deficiency or blimis that the Lakers have as a team right now. And obviously he can help with the scoring us back, but what about the defensive end, what about making the guys around them better? And you know, let's be honest, every player doesn't isn't you know what we're accustomed to seeing when they get next to Lebron. Is he going to be the same type score that he is, you know for the Bulls or for the Timberwolves that he that he that we've been accustomer to seeing will he be that same score next to Lebron And I just don't think that's the case. So that's why I lean more so with the Caruso and de Rosen package because I think it compliments Ad and Lebron perfectly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, you'd have to give away a lot more to get both of those guys. But to me, it's Lebron James. You're only going to have Lebron James for a limited amount of time left. Every year, you know, he puts more mileage. It's incredible what he's doing at age thirty nine, but it's just not gonna let we know, it is not going to last forever. So and each year that decreases. So I would trade anything you have to to get him a shot a title every year you have him. I think the Cavaliers did a crappy job with that in the last season that he was in Cleveland. I talked a lot about that at the time. They didn't want to give away the future, right, they were so worried about the pick they had from the nets and all of that stuff, And I'm like, you have Lebron James, you got to maximize Lebron James. I don't care if you're bad for two or three years after he leaves. I don't care if he's telegraphed already he's going to leave. If you could get one more title the last year he was there, which, by the way, if they had made a trade, I think they could have. They were in the finals, right, so, I mean one more trade would have done it for them. I think the Lakers are in the same position where they have to give away whatever they need to make this work and make this team and Lebron a true contender again. It was amazing they got to the Western Conference finals last year, but they obviously couldn't compete with the Nuggets. They got swept. So I want to see them make a deal that will actually put this team into top title contention because we're seeing the end of one of the greatest careers in all of sports. Ever, I think you're given whatever he needs. I mean, de Jontay Murray could work on that team too, right, Bully, you don't like it as much.
Speaker 2: He covers things defensively for them, But once again, you make a move like that, you still need the offense to back it up. And I don't think offensively and I'm not speaking on him as an individual, I'm speaking on him offensively as a teammate next to them. Yeah, I just don't think it compliments what. I don't think it gives them what they need. Obviously, defensively is perfect for him. But that's why I'll go back to the Caruso trade. I think Caruso fits that mold defensive DeRozan fence that mode offensively, where you're kind of getting two players to do two different things that you need for a team, compared to getting a guy like Desonte who only.
Speaker 3: Really covers one aspect of what you need.
Speaker 2: So that's that's my mindset when it comes to, you know, filling out that roster.
Speaker 1: Look, Caruso and Derozen don't have to be a package. You could get Caruso and Marie if you wanted to go that way. But I do think they need both, and that is why I would also shy away from Levine, and Levine's got such a big contract number two. I think that that kind of has an effect. But we'll see. I think they definitely will make a move, So I think it's gonna be a interesting team to watch again. I want to see what the Lakers are going to do. I promised a little Dallas talk, and look, I was so impressed with the Mavericks early in the season, felt like all the pieces were working. You know, they were sitting at number three in the West for a while, but now they've dropped down to seventh. Kyrie just came back, so I think they will get a little bit of a boost there. But you could see some tweaking they need to do. And you mentioned Pascal Siakam earlier. I think he would be a perfect fit there. And the only question is how much are they willing to give up to get a guy who might not stay after the summer.
Speaker 2: I think it's a movie you have to make. You have to find that third piece for this team. Obviously, you have your two guys and Kyrie, and you know what are you going to bring in to compliment those guys. I think Tobias here is a good I think he compliments them well. Yeah, and I think does as well. My choice with this Mavericking will lean more and so to Siakam because just the different dynamic that he kind of brings to a team, you know, you know, the ability to cut, slash, you know, finish at the Rim, defend multiple positions. He can knock down outside shots, so I just feel like it compliments them well, Tobias more so, being a guy that could that's bringing more so offense. Does it help yes? Does it give him over the hump? I don't believe so. So if I'm the Mavericks, I'm leaning I'm doing everything in my power to get Siakam on this roster, and I think they got a chance to, you know, be a top five team in the West and actually have a chance that contend.
Speaker 1: I mean, look again, they took that risk with Kyrie. He was on an expiring deal. They were able to resign him over the summer and permanent part of the team, and everything they traded away for him now makes more sense because they have him on a longer term deal. I don't know. I mean, the market for Kyrie this past summer was not explosive. It's not like Kyrie was getting offers left and right. So Dallas was by far the best offer he got, and the fact that they were able to keep him on that offer was not shocking. Siakam, I think is gonna get offers this summer. So it's just it's a bigger risk. I know that they miss Dorian Finney Smith and would love to get him back paired with Luca. That's more of a smaller trade that they could make, but I do know he's on their radar, so it'll be interesting. I would love to see Siakam with Luca and Kyrie. I think that would be great. But I'm not the one with the wallet for the Mavericks, and I guess Mark Cuban isn't going to be either, so maybe he'll. You know, it's he's got such a cushy deal now. He still runs basketball operations, but he doesn't have to pay for anything anymore. So we thought he was a little wild with the trades before. Maybe we're gonna get We're gonna get it all. I don't know. I'm excited to see them this trade deadline. We don't know. I'm excited to see the Thunder because they have the most assets of anyone in the league. That team is ahead of schedule, they are so impressive. Watch it out. If you please do yourself a favor out there. If you have not sat down and watched the Oklahoma City Thunder this season, make an appointment to do that. With one of their upcoming games because they're just such a fun team on the floor, and I think there's no reason to wait. Get them another good player, see if they can contend in the West this year. So I'm interested to see what they can do. They also would be wise to trade some of those picks and assets now before they have to extend their younger players on those rookie extensions, just because of the way the salary cap works and when you can add different contracts and when you can't if you're already over extended versus if you're not. So I expect them to do something. The question is what do they need and what might they do? Do you have any thoughts?
Speaker 2: I mean, this is like a rare situation where you look in on this and it's like they have so many different options they can take to improve in this team, and I mean it's hard to just, you know, kind of focus in on one scenario. They literally have the draft picks to go get whatever player they want in the NBA, Like they could literally go to a team off from twelve pick, like I'm one Lebron James, Here's twelve pick, or whatever the case may be. So this is an interesting situation.
Speaker 1: I would go out and get Lori market In. That's that's my that's my pick. I would get Larry market In. I think he fit in there. I think Utah is going to you know, didn't expect to start the season as a seller, but I think they will very you know, that front office knows what they're doing. Obviously, I don't know right well, exactly exactly, no. I mean it's it's a great they're great for as trade partners. And I just think that you know, market In. I know they don't want to get rid of him in Utah. I know the idea was to build the franchise kind of around him, you know, along with maybe someone else bringing them in. But I don't know, man, I think you will. You're catching the thunder at a good time. I think they have so many assets they might be a little more generous in a trade. Then they will be two or three down the road. And I just think he would fit in perfectly. I think he's only twenty six years old, so he fits in with the younger aspect of that team. You wouldn't have to you know, he fits in with the timeline, and I think basketball wise, he's a good fit you like. Do you like him? There?
Speaker 3: I do like him. Then I think I think he's a great option.
Speaker 2: And I think another under the radar player that's having a really good season. It's Kyle Kuzman. Kyle Kuzman is having a career year. Uh, he's a champion. He fits the mold of you know, being that complimentary piece to a championship team. Obviously, he plays both sides of the floor, he can knock down shots, he can defend multiple positions, and he just has the right mindset when it comes to, you know, a goal of winning the championship, being a team player, and obviously every night the goal is to win game. So that mindset is always in the right place. So I think that's a guy that could come in and help this under team, you know, reach a new height. So I think those two young guys and obviously you know he's in that same you know, age frame with the rest of that group, and you know him and Shake can be you know, the fashion iconstant they want to be together.
Speaker 3: So I think it's a lot of things that.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of things that goes into play for that Thunder team where it could work out.
Speaker 1: Do you think he would get shame on one of those pink sweaters with the like giant sleeves. This is just sort of welcome gift to each other. And maybe, you know, just the twinsies. I don't know, that could be good.
Speaker 2: I don't know who will win, but we would definitely see some outfits in that locker.
Speaker 3: Room for sure.
Speaker 1: Amen, Amen. I look, I Washington is obviously in in super uber rebuilding mode. They're they're obviously going for that high draftic. You know, they're not afraid to trade away contracts right now. And uh, you know, I certainly could see kusmadell if they're pronounced, if they're presented with the right offer, and it could be the Thunder that have the right offer. I mean they need, you know, good pieces to put around Bill al and Denny Avada and and and draft picks. You know, it is on that timeline, so I could I could certainly see a deal like that going on. And you know, I did an interview with Kuz recently. He just bought a new house in Washington, d C. But you know, you go to a winning team, you can sell the houses.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep.
Speaker 1: Amen, All right, well it's gonna be very interesting seeing how all these teams fare. As they said, we're gonna do the East next week. But but to me, the Warriors are gonna be fascinating, the Lakers are gonna be fascinating, and then you have that next year of team that we know those guys are going to make a deal, and then give that next year of teams that probably should make a deal, like the like the Suns, like the Mavericks, like the Thunder. So it's it's gonna be really really interesting. I think it's gonna be hot and half in trade deadline, and we'll tackle the East next week. So that's it for that. This week, I do want to get to our Draft Kings segment. I'll take that bet and boogie. I have to know if you're going to take a bet on rookie of the year, here's the situation. Take a look at the odds here now. Before the season started, Wemby was the standalone favorite, like by far. But if you see here now, he's at plus one eighty and Chat is the clear favorite at minus two to eighty. I mean that's a huge, huge swing. So which bet are you taking? Are you betting on Chet? Are you betting on Wemby. Wemby has better stats generally, I mean not in every category, but in general across the board, he's got better stats. Chat. Obviously on a winning team, which victor is not? Which better you taken?
Speaker 2: I mean, well, if you just want to be correct and win the bet, I would laying with you know, Chat, that's just a safe bet. You know, get a little bit in return, but you know you want to go out on the wing and you know.
Speaker 3: Make a little extra. Obviously you go with Womby.
Speaker 2: But as far as the production part, I think both of these guys are producing at a high level, especially in their rookie year. But it's just it's a difference in situations. You got one guy producing in the winning situation, you got one guy producing in the rebuilding situation. So obviously, in this league, winning is value. If you're able to produce and win at the same time, you get put on the higher pedal stool. And as of right now, that's check, you know, and servingly, so he's a second option to a young team with the chance of competing this year, So all of that has to be you know, put into consideration. Both young, great young talents. I think they'll both have incredible careers. When it comes to building the team around either one, I don't think you can go wrong. So but as far as you know, making some money, yeah, obviously we'll have to go with Winby, But you want to save that check.
Speaker 1: So I mean, look, look, I don't think Wemby. I actually am kind of surprised to see that number of the oddsmakers and DraftKings one hundred percent know what they're doing. And remember, anytime we talk about betting odds, they are deciding who is going to bet on what, and what are the best odds to have, you know, good good money on either side, as opposed to who is actually going to win. So you have to remember that. But I think that Wemby is I don't think he's as much of a dark horse here as he's being made out to be at this point in the season, you know, and he's averaging basically twenty twenty a game. He leads the entire league, the entire league in blocks, and you have to think about the voters. You know, You've got a bunch of voters in the media who have been covering Wemby, Wenby Wemby all season. So I just I think I still think it could go either way, which means that the bet you'd want to take is the Wemby bet because as you say, he makes some money there. But we'll see, we'll see I do Obviously winning is huge. How much does it matter to you that Chet had an entire season to basically get used to being an NBA player even though he wasn't playing and he was injured versus Wemby, who was doing all of this as not only new to the league, new to the country, everything like, which is more impressive to you. Does it affect decision?
Speaker 3: It's obviously. You know, it's an NBA rule.
Speaker 2: If you get hurt rookie season, you don't play as your rookie all over again. It kind of sucks when you're in that position and you're a guy competing against this guy and it's like with damn, like he kind of got a head start, and it's similar to my situation coming into the league.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, Blake Griffin got hurt his rookie year, so when he came back around, he was a rookie my year coming in, which gave you know, myself, John Waller chance at you know, battling for the rookie of the year, and he just blew us out the water and and our here it's like with damn, this dude had a whole year of experience, regardless if he played or not. You're in the practices, you're you're understanding all of these things that kind of play in his.
Speaker 1: Favorite having that long a season, and.
Speaker 2: You got two other young rookies that's basically learning on the fly in the midst of the fire, and you know, it's kind of unfair, but you know that's the lead, that's the rule that's in place for the league. So it's but you know, at the same time, he went out there and played, he played better than me and John Wall and that's just the facts behind it. And this is the case here. But obviously it's two guys out of kind of neck and neck in that situation. So at the end of the day, I think it just goes down to, you know, who's winning games, which is chit and this OKAC team, and you just have to respect that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you guys, and Blake was a big standout example. Obviously, a few years later we had Donovan Mitchell and Ben Simmons, where Ben Simmons had been sitting for a year and Donovan had just come in. You know, when I made my decision that year, I had the kind of the attitude you're talking about, which was, look, a rookie's rookie. It's not someone's fault that they're out for that first season. I'm not sure I want to penalize them for that, for getting hurt. So I basically said, I'm taking that off the table as part of my decision making. I think some voters will do the same this year, but we'll have to say, it's just another interesting wrinkle. So take a lot kind of DraftKings because that is a good that is there some good, interesting odds going on. I think I think people could have a little fun with that. All Right, we're back for set of reminder. We got to look at this week's games. See what you want to set a reminder for a book. I'm gonna read you a couple of good ones. Clippers at Suns, that's on Wednesday, Heat at Lakers. Also on Wednesday, Friday, we've got the Grizzlies at the Lakers, Knicks at Sixers, and then on Saturday, Celtics at Pacers. Which game are you putting on your calendar. Do you want to see?
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna lean with Friday's game the Knicks and Sixers. Oh, this would be a.
Speaker 2: Good test, you know, good tests at the Battle of the East. We'll get to see how the Knicks, you know, square up against the team that's, you know, one of the top guys in the league, top teams in the league. We get to see how effective that trade was for o Joanne Andnobi. So I think that's a good test for New York. You know, they beat the number one seed in the West the other night, so you know, we'll see. I think I think that's a good test in New York and to see, you know, just how good this trade was for this organization.
Speaker 1: The fans in Philadelphia can just hold up giant dollar bills and say come here this summer og like that kind of thing. But we'll see, we'll see what happens there. I'm very interested in John Morant versus Lebron James. That will also be on Friday. So that's just a good slate all the way around. I think Job will want to have a little flash and something to prove when he's back on the big stage. Here in Los Angeles, So we'll see good games this week for sure. All right, doom scroll. We got to talk about what's hot on the socials this week. Our producers were trying to figure out players who have had the best, as we call it, the world tour, right, who has played in the best list of cities over their career. And there are a lot of interesting contenders here. I'm going to read you a couple, but dude, you could really go deep on this. Trevor Reza was one of the picks. He has played in New York, LA and Miami, which which may be the sort of most desirable tranvert there. He's also played in Phoenix, right, good golfing, good good town for NBA players. Houston. I personally would not consider Houston hire on the list, just because it takes really long time to get to the airport, and that is my main concerns if you're flying out for forty one games plus a year. But that may just be me. I'm just saying Portland, which is a really great city, so you know, a good good stretch for Trevor Reza. Jamal Crawford do not sleep on our teammate, Jamal Crawford, Chicago, New York, Atlanta, La Portland, Phoenix. Not a negative city in the bunch there, so that is really impressive. Nate Robinson, New York, Boston, San Francisco, or Oakland, but you know at the time, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles also a very impressive list there. And the last one I'm gonna throw at you is Tyson Chandler New York, Chicago, New Orleans, which is big for me. Love New Orleans, Dallas, Phoenix, and Los Angeles. And there's a million more out there, but these are all really good. And you know, you played in a few places. Where you play has a huge where you live your life has a huge impact on you throughout your career. So who do you like there? Do you like any other you know guys that didn't mentioned?
Speaker 3: What do you think that is tough? I think I'm gonna have to lean towards.
Speaker 1: I think he's got the three no one else has those that.
Speaker 3: New York, l A, Miami is and then throwing Phoenix in Houston.
Speaker 2: That's so tough. He definitely has some favor in his career. He played in some pretty favorable place. I mean, I wouldn't be mass showing enough to work in these city so I'm gonna have to lean with Trevor's.
Speaker 3: Damn, I'm kind of jealous.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's neck and neck. I like the Jamal Crawford list. I just feel like really good to really really strong right.
Speaker 3: Chicago.
Speaker 2: I think Jamal and Trevor definitely rolled off in the sunset when her career was done, So it's nothing to be mad about.
Speaker 3: We're playing in any of these cities.
Speaker 1: And let's remember what Atlanta was like when Jamal Crawford played there, which is a whole different part of the equation. So yeah, I think I think it's good. I would like people who are watching this on YouTube to tell us in the comments. If you're watching this on DraftKings, please find us find the podcast on any of your podcast networks and give us some comments. Let us know who your best world tour is, because I am fascinated to hear what everyone thinks out there. Also, before we let you go, there is a clip going around Instagram that shows Jamal Crawford which is discussing and Isaiah Thomas. They were at the Winter Classic game in Seattle at the Mariners Stadium and they were miked up and Jamal points over to Isaiah. He's like, hey, when Gretzky is here, I.
Speaker 3: Got to go on with desk with Resky. I'm at Gresky.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this is crazy, Brochael Jordan of hockey bro.
Speaker 1: I got to see him.
Speaker 3: I't even got to meet him. I got just to see him. Yeah, Like I was like, man, it's like Jordan, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love it when athletes are psyched about other athletes. He was like, that's the guy. Oh my god. So I wanted to know for you, Boogie, was there a point that you're the star basketball player, but you see someone who's an athlete from another sport and you just become a total fan.
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, one six out clearly to me. I was a huge boxing.
Speaker 2: Fan growing up, and my favorite fighter all time was Roy Jones Jr.
Speaker 3: Nice and he's from Pensacola.
Speaker 2: I'm from Mobile, so we're about thirty minutes apart, and I usually fly out of Pensacola's airport. So ran into him one day and I became the biggest fan boy you've probably ever seen before. And you know, I'm not really a guy that goes around, you know, if I meet people, I don't necessarily ask for pictures that just I kind of know what it's like for me, so I don't want to, you know, put that on the next person. So I kind of sway away from that. But in this moment, it was like, fuck it, I have to get this picture. So he was super cool, and it was even more dope because he knew who I was, So I mean this very cool. Yeah, Like, man, it was really dope, so I could I could totally relate to it.
Speaker 3: In that moment.
Speaker 2: You get a chance to meet one of your you know, so called heroes growing up, it's a pretty dope feeling.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that story. And of course he knew who you were, your bookie cousins. Come on, please, I think that's awesome. And by the way, you mean a boxing man, I know, but well, by the way, being a boxing fan, you now live in Las Vegas, which is really the choicest decision you could have made there, So congratulations on networking out as well.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, we got to wrap. That's it for this week. Thank you. We can Bulleyball on the All the Smoke YouTube channel. You can catch us on the DraftKings Network now, which we're really excited about. You can catch us wherever you get your podcasts, Apple, Spotify, Google, wherever you get them. And don't forget if you're on a podcast here rate us, review us, give us those five stars helps us out in the algorithythm, So hook us up for that. We will hook you up with a new episode next week. We can't wait to see you later. Five book Alli Rachel