Speaker 1: Yeah, what's cracking? Y'all know what to do? Another episode gangst the Chronicles.
Speaker 2: You bitch.
Speaker 1: With his boy big steal in the house. Well, let you know what it do. Man, We back at y'all one more time. What's cracking?
Speaker 3: Man? Just killing Man? We got our special guest co hosts in here banging out these top fifty gangster rap albums of all time. My boy, hip hop journalist extraordinary Soren Baker. Yes, yes, thanks to educate y'all a little bit. Y'all. Young is out there. You know, it's been a lot of positive feedback soor and since you've been on the show with us, you know, doing your thing. But it's somebody that asks, who is the white guy on there? And I said, Man, he's just one of the greatest minds in hip hop. You know, it's been chronicling hip hop for the last how many years on almost thirty now thirty years. Man, before some of y'all was even born. He was putting it down. As an editor for The Source magazine has written some of the most prolific articles in hip hop. Man, not just the Source. Motherfucker's gonna give a fuck about shit like that. They just like who the fuck is the dude? Y'all got on there, man, y'all flipp y'all got a hostole like motherfucking like you put your.
Speaker 1: Your coins in and click the dag and get this prize in they like. So, you know, niggas don't be giving the fuck, They just be curious at what to be motherfucking commentators on what the hell?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's going on? But that's what it is though, swering. We actually glad to have you here, brother, Thank you, congratulations man for those If you haven't got it chet, go out and get his new book with Juicy.
Speaker 4: Jy Yeah, man, Chronicles of the Juice Man anywhere you buy books, yep.
Speaker 3: And he got a new album. This album, you know, I don't know if it's really new now, but here it's new his latest album. Make sure y'all will get that Lessons Part two and we would get started with the show. So to start things off, man, you know, I had to I gotta mention this man special ed. You know, my man went on Drink Champs and said that n w A pretty much started the gay of society. They're responsible for the breakdown of society. And you know what's funny, about him saying that, man is that.
Speaker 1: I gotta gotta get it right, man, because you know he gonna cut back and say I didn't say the.
Speaker 2: Breakdown of society much.
Speaker 1: He said, what do he say? The appetite? They brought the appetite of destruction for our youth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they brought destruction to our youth. And I didn't have a problem with him choosing Wu Tang. I love Wu tang Klan too. I'm a Wu Tang Klan fan, but don't get a twisted Wu Tang Klan was spitting gangster ship. But from East Coast perspective, Ray Kwan the chef is talking about selling dope. While you think they call him the chef, he ain't talking about the chef. He ain't talking about He's chef because he's an excellent cook. He's Ray Kuan the chef because he know how to whip that work and that pir Rex Bull. He's the chef. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I don't know people understand the the demographics of what hip hop was before or we jumped off the porch with our contribution to hip hop. If you go back as far as I go with hip hop, hip hop was it was. It was fresh, it was new, it was fun, you know, it was it was rock the house type.
Speaker 2: You know, let's you know, braggadocious.
Speaker 1: You know they can hear me still, they got they got hating engineered this ship. I'll be having your voice ups. Want to put the show out. The motherfucking steal man, this technical input ass steal But you know, motherfuckers didn't really.
Speaker 3: It wasn't really too.
Speaker 1: Much, I guess you want to say hardcore aspect, even though you know we had records like you know, grand Master Flash with the message who you know, spoke about the oppression at that time, you know, drug pushers and and you know, not being able to get a break and you know all that type of stuff. If you knew what was going on with black people in the seventies and whatever, you saw movies like you know what I did. You know, I saw movies like Warriors and shit like that, you know, the Sonny Carson movie. I saw movies like that growing up three the Hard Way and a lot of black flicks, you know, which gave the element of of of the underworld. You get me before I heard a fucking rap record, right, My participation in the gang banging came from growing up in poverty. You know, everything was bright. You know my parents, you know, father had a good job working at General Motors, and I grew up in South you know, we had a house and I want to say Lynnwood area. When I was a kid, maybe about four years old. You know, everything was great and you know, but once my parents got divorced and we moved to Compton and I was around six years old, shit changed drastically, you get me. And still I heard no. I heard no there was no fucking hip hop, you get me. I heard Teddy Pendergrass and my auntie played Millie Jackson and Bobby Blue Bland and shit like that. That's what I heard growing up. And hear no fucking you know niggas, you know, talking about the police and whatever. I saw that firsthand because I grew up in a place called Spooktown and I lived on Johnson Street where at one end of the street they had the they had to set called the CV seventies was a Mexican game, and then down the street, you know, they had to homies from Spooktown crip gang. That's why I saw my influences of street life as you want as you want to say. None of them niggas was down the street rapping about what was going on. It was just front center center. Niggas came down the block and did drybys. Ns was snatching us out to bed at two in the morning, pulling us on the floor. Because niggas coming down the block shooting. It had nothing to do with what a nigga spoke on records.
Speaker 5: It was pre existing.
Speaker 1: As I got older, I saw the niggas down the block. Now you coming from poverty, you know, black kid, You know a lot of people ain't educated. Your chances for successful life is real slim. It's what we thought. You get me. Did I envision myself? I mean, I guess as a child, you we all envisioned being You know, I'm gonna be a policeman, a fireman, a sports player.
Speaker 2: We all envision that the kids.
Speaker 1: But as I'm growing up in a single household and fucking spoop town with niggas is doing drive bys and selling SHRM, I'm seeing that is my influence. That nigga got a brand new car, He got motherfucking money up the ass. It's all the fancy, nice rods. You know what I'm saying, and them niggas is hard. That's my influence. So it wasn't because I heard a song and the nigga was saying, over here we hard, over here, we wear red and blue.
Speaker 2: Over here, we do drive bys.
Speaker 1: No, it was what I saw and what I thought was gonna make me successful as a nigga in the streets.
Speaker 3: You get me. So that was my choice.
Speaker 1: When no daddy in the crib and I'm seeing mom struggling, and then my sister is dating the hood niggas and they pulling up with bread and fan nigga, I'm being one of them niggas. You know, fuck ituck what comes with it? Yeah, I know, you know, fucking drive bys and you might go to jail for serving and the enemies and you know. But that was my influence. Now, I listened to records, raps started coming along. It was on East Coast, right, But I listened to motherfucking schooly D.
Speaker 2: Schoolly D was some good shit.
Speaker 3: But I was already banging.
Speaker 1: Did that influence my my wanting to bang? What more?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: No, it was it was like like my man prime say, right now, when to give my theme music.
Speaker 3: You feel me?
Speaker 1: That was to us, that was just theme music to go along with the daily life of what we was already fucking doing.
Speaker 2: Right, So.
Speaker 1: You had these rappers, you know, like special Ed, and I listened to special Ed.
Speaker 3: I think everybody did. That's the disappointed part about what he said. And I don't want.
Speaker 1: To put too much on my nigga's shoulders, but I listened to special Ed, you know, and how he had it made and you know, the magnificent and you know, we on the mission and you know all that. I thought it was. I thought it was nice. Rap records cool, But when I grabbed a microphone, I didn't see my life as a party. I've always I've always felt that when it came to writing records. I never saw my life as a party, as something that was fun, because again, I grew up in the hood, and even though it was fascinating to a nigga or you know, I'm all in, I still knew what that was that wasn't fun.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what it was, man. When Nwa came out, it was like a call to action against all the systemic racism that had been happening because police had been whooping black people's ass around the country for years and nobody ever spoke on it. It was just kind of one of those things. It was never on the news, It was never this and that, but they highlighted that. And it was in response to the poverty and the systemic racism that was going on around the country or in their particular neighborhoods. Now to say that that started to decay of what was it exactly? Did? He said? Be it? Yeah? You know, it was kind of like it caused destruction. And to me what he said, the way I took it was like almost I took offense to that because he said that almost like, well, NWA destroyed hip hop, And you got to look at it a certain way because at that time he was signed the Profile records. Who else was on Profile records at that time? DJ Quick, second to None and especially it kind of went into obscurity after that.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that came a little down the line a little bit a weak and second and None came along. But again, like I said, if you compare, you know, the the rap form of special and a lot of dudes were were I call it Braggadocia's rap a lot of dudes. You know, LLL did it a lot, but that's what I had. I'm this, I'm not, you know, and I get it. But then there were dudes like to me when they first came out bdp uh listen to Go Band, they were hood to me, schoolly D. I listened to schooly D. I listened to dudes like Steady B and Cool C. You know that reminded me of block hustling, you know, dudes.
Speaker 2: You know, it was all kind of stuff I listened to.
Speaker 4: And that, to me, is the biggest point of all of this, is that I thought the whole thing about all of art and rap and all these different things was to express your own opinion, your own perspective, your own experience, your own thing, whether that's like you're naming all these different artists. I thought that's what made to me as a fan, getting into it and then wanting to be part of the music industry and wanting to meet.
Speaker 5: People like y'all.
Speaker 4: Is like, it's because these were amazing stories, interesting stories. I learned a lot from listening to rap, and it was all these different perspectives that we didn't get from the movies, from the news, from whatever, our school books, whatever it was.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you a question. Yes, you obviously being a white man when you grew when you were growing up back in Baltimore or Maryland.
Speaker 2: Didn't grow in Baltimore, Maryland.
Speaker 3: Oh, Maryland, I'm saying different from Baltimore.
Speaker 4: I grew up right in between Baltimore and d C, twenty miles from Baltimore, twenty miles from DC.
Speaker 3: Okay, got you my bed. But did you feel like those records kind of gave you a further insight into the black light what was going on in the African American communities.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the interesting thing. In my neighborhood, I had black neighbors, had a lot of We had a very very diverse school and diverse area. So DC Baltimore, for everybody knows, those are two chocolate cities for one. Then beyond that, because of the government, people from all over the world live in our areas. So we had Asian people living there, We had Hispanic people living there, we had people from Africa living there. We had people from everywhere going to my school. We had people when you would go to d C, you would see people you wouldn't recognize, like, oh, who is that. I don't recognize what that person it looks like. But beyond that, my parents didn't raise me that way to look at different things. But I had black friends. I had black neighbors, so I would.
Speaker 5: Go to stuff with them.
Speaker 4: They would come to our house. It wasn't unusual. And you black girlfriends, I did, so it was a funny story. I remember, as an elementary school kid going to my dad because my parents. I didn't understand what racism was because my parents weren't like that.
Speaker 5: I was blessed. A lot of people aren't like that.
Speaker 4: But I realized in fifth or sixth grade that I was attracted to black girls and the Asian girl that was in all these different girls that weren't white. But I was also attracted to the white girls. But I remember I said to my dad. I said, Dad, because I never heard anything bad. And I said, Dad, would you be mad if I married a black girl one day? And he said, as long as she's smart and she looks good, I don't care what she is. There as a little kid, my dad was already telling me, like, look, let her be smart, let her be somebody you like. It wasn't about her race or her religion or anything. But on top of that, remember when I was growing up, we had Marion Berry the mayor of DC in Baltimore. At the time, we had a black may also mayor of kirch Schmoke. A lot of my school teachers were black women, a lot of my school teachers were black men, a lot of my coaches were black men. So when I was growing up, I was looking up to black people not only from an entertainment perspective in music, but as teachers, as educators, as government people, as people doing all kinds of jobs. So it wasn't unusual for me to see black men in a position of power like Marion Barry or Kerch Smoke in Baltimore, and I'd be going to these cities all the time to play basketball, play soccer, do whatever I was doing, Go shopping for rect go to concerts, you know, whatever I was doing. So it was very different once I started traveling around the country going to college and then starting to do right journalistic stuff, that I realized where I grew up was very unusual. And that was something that I think is giving me a lot of perspective and has given me a lot of insight because when I started hearing the schooly D's and the Boogenel productions and the iced teas and the NWA's on the early side of things, those records and those songs were what I was reading about the newspaper, what I would see when I would going to DC or Baltimore, or what I would see on the news. So it was just from a different perspective. Schoolly D was the one. I never heard the dude with the gun in the newspaper talk. They never interviewed him. It was always this guilty dude. But schoolly D said, I have the gun.
Speaker 5: Karris won. My nine millimeter goes back. So now I'm.
Speaker 4: Hearing it from these dudes and hearing it from their perspective why they did, why they had a gun, Like I have said a couple episodes ago schooly D on Parkside five to two Parkside my place in hold the PSK gangsters like the room, TV and a hand thirty two ondred socks protecting on our turf.
Speaker 5: Like it was four knocks.
Speaker 4: He also says on a Saturday Night album on a corner selling weed as my friend Mike, I can't say that is wrong or that is right. I'm from Parkside five to two, so even there, it's like all the laws have changed with weed. But Schooley in eighty six was saying, I'm not saying he's selling drugs is wrong or right.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying that's what he's doing.
Speaker 3: That that was some hitless stuff to talk about you selling weed in the record. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Still, you grew up in Cleveland. Hm, you grew up showing you grew up in Maryland. Yeah, I grew up in Compton. We all, y'all grow up? Is you know, young kids, you know what I'm saying, Saturday Morning cartoons and all of that, What would you say as you started growing up and witnessing and start to adapt in and seeing shit, you know, as I like to call the the underground scene. You know, because when you were when you were a kid, your parents, if you have those type of parents or whatever, good nature parents, whatever, they try to shield you from a lot of shit. Right, But let's just face it. We grow up and you know, we see our first pussy, or we hear our first cuss word, or you know, we see we see our first set of titties or some shit like that. You know what I'm saying. So we see these influences. We know what we know, Like motherfuckers pick up a gun. We've seen those scenarios. We've seen it throughout time. You shoot the motherfucker, you kill him, you go to prison, right, you go to court. Whatever, We've seen that as kids, whatever, we were influenced.
Speaker 3: By some shit.
Speaker 1: Right, I watched Superman, I watched Batman as a kid. Did I dress up in Halloween costumes? Superman or Batman? You get me? But I knew I couldn't jump off the roof and fucking fly right to jump off the building. And there might have been some kids who weren't raised properly who got up on the fucking roof and jumped off, and like nigga, I could fly right. But I considered myself to be a little edgy cadd with you know parents, And even though I grew up in the hood, wasn't no dummy. Right when I started selling dope, it wasn't because a nigga told me to sell dope. You because you did it because I thought I could make the motherfucking money and I could get myself out of fucking poverty type shit. Right when I started gang banging. It wasn't because a nigga made me gang bang. I saw that as unity for me for because as a as a kid who didn't have that older brother or had that older uncle or the uncles was what you know. Niggas I go to school with and I started hanging with as a kid, and I'm whatever. Whatever nigga entered used me to the neighborhood. This is like my family now you know, these is the homies i'mread. So that was my influence. Like I said, so when rap records came along, when I heard Ice t say six in the morning, or I heard easy go to boys in the hood was always hard.
Speaker 2: I'm already one of the boys in the hood. It feel me.
Speaker 3: Now. My nigga said that.
Speaker 1: You know how they do them with the questions n Wa or Wu Tang or jay z or Biggie or you know.
Speaker 3: So they asked my nigga, you know.
Speaker 1: N w A or Wu Tang and they say, he choose Wu Tang because Wu Tang for the kids. Wu Tang was was n w A in the New York for on before the time of you know, because now we got sets in in New York and We are represented with bloods and crips in New York now, but there was a time. You know, I've been going to New York since what fucking eighty eight. I knew cruise and clicks and niggas had they sections or whatever. I never witnessed bloods or crips. But that's another story, Wu Tang, you know, from from from a neighborhood Shylyn, Staten Island. Niggas get down over here. It's been murders, it's it's been drug deals. Wu Tang spoke this to you, they told and it's reflected in their music. You know, they clicked up. You know, we started off, you know, a K shylin and you know, pointed, pointed the desert ego that his mother's not and you know, so to say that that's for the kids and ship just kind of confusing. And then they say that n w A was for the appetite and destruction of our youth because.
Speaker 2: The music was what was was.
Speaker 1: Let's face it, the music took off when when when motherfuckers were able to hear a motherfucker go fuck and shit and and and bitch and hole and nigga, my my my strap and and fuck you and fuck the police. It brought another element of of to the art as of.
Speaker 5: Well, that's it's funny you say that eight.
Speaker 3: Niggas didn't go out and go n w a man.
Speaker 1: One of the niggas went out and get said, be like me, join the gang. And and and a lot of y'all don't even know this. We didn't even claim gangs back when we put our records. You didn't hear me go nigga, I'm from drag New and we wear Louis.
Speaker 3: It's a fairly new thing, to be honest with you, exactly. That's just probably happened over the past. I would say probably Quick was one of the early ones to start really kind of pronouncing where he was from.
Speaker 4: Well, if you go back and look at the uh Ryan Paige, Well, actually a we talked about this in my book The History Gangster Rap. The dudes specifically didn't want to advertise that exactly or not only safety reasons.
Speaker 5: But also popularity.
Speaker 4: So if you look all the early dudes that were from sets wore neutral colors on their album covers in the videos, or they wore black.
Speaker 3: So I mean it's like.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to alienate myself because first of all, I I considered myself reporting for all street niggas.
Speaker 3: I didn't give a fuck whether you.
Speaker 1: Was a cript blood, if you was from the enemy crip hood, or I didn't give it. That didn't I wanted all niggas who were in my walk of life to bang my music because I'm speaking on it don't matter because we wear blue or you wear red. I bet you this happened to one of y'all over there. I bet you it happened to the home mee. I bet bet so. It wasn't like I was trying to tell kids across America, Oh do what we doing. You get get in the six ' four and clean trag new and shoot at your enemies and do all that shit. Because if you listen to my records, I always told you the consequence of banging.
Speaker 5: And that, to me, is one of the keys to this.
Speaker 1: I never told you that your life was going to be lucrative and fun by being from the hood and gang banging. I never told you that on records. I told you what a life of niggas went through growing up in my walk of life.
Speaker 3: Because any further we're gonna take a quick break pay some bills here and we're gonna come right back. So basically, we never spoke on.
Speaker 2: The fucking.
Speaker 1: I guess you want to say the rewards of gang banging or being from the hood.
Speaker 3: It was always.
Speaker 5: Look at growing up in the hood.
Speaker 2: If you.
Speaker 1: Break it down, growing up in the hood, I talk about whatever minutes to society with straight up minutes. I talk about the flip side of of neighborhood whatever. I wrote songs like, I wrote songs like Nigga Struggling. I wrote songs like the hood took me under. I wrote songs that basically portrayed the gangster lifestyle, but it never ended up because I don't give fuck how rich or lucrative or you know, hood niggas is driving in Rose Royce is now and Lamborghini's and shit, But a true hood nigga, no, there's pitfalls behind. So it was never a portrayed or exploited to the youth that this is what you do, you get me.
Speaker 4: And I think that's the big part that's missing. Because schoolyde Iced t Nwa yourself quick, a lot of the early most popular artists always broke down the pitfalls. Project Pat came later he's another dude that was always talking about you're gonna get incarcerated, You're gonna get shot. This person look at colors iced Tea talking about, you know, sister got tracks on an arm? What is that from drug use? I mean, it's like everybody is breaking it down in different ways.
Speaker 5: You're getting gonna get jack.
Speaker 3: And then there's another there's another thing.
Speaker 1: I paid attention to when they asked him to question and he reverted to saying something like so for real, like this is what we're doing. Like when he when he spoke on the fact that NWA was getting popular and the music was you know, so he made a comment like, so for real, this is what we're doing, like to say, like, okay, we finna let hip hop let this in.
Speaker 3: This is what we're finna do.
Speaker 1: So we finna let niggas start talking about driving in old school cars and wearing khaki suits and saying bitching ho and and fuck the pope. So that's what we're finna do. Like, what do you mean that's my artistic expression? That that's that's that's what I that's what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna play what he said right here, real quick, go ahead, I'm gonna play the comments see it. Especially he even got a Jerry Curl. So we can't talk about nobody Wu Tang who Tang is for the kids?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: You know what besides that, man Wu Tang was dropping knowledge and positivity.
Speaker 3: You know, n w A brought the age of destruction, Damn Jesus.
Speaker 1: N w A brought the age of destruction to our children and our culture.
Speaker 3: Period. Hey, I respect all.
Speaker 4: Of them as men, but as the art form, and you want me to speak on the art pharm, I'm gonna tell you what it is.
Speaker 3: That's where it started. That's where the agenda started.
Speaker 5: Well it didn't start there.
Speaker 3: That was the third of the demise of his career, but.
Speaker 4: It was in the But all those things were happening in society for decades before Nwa, before Ice Cube it wrote his first rap. He had nothing to do with the creation of any of that that had been happening in the United States of America for decades.
Speaker 1: But then after that part what we just played, he went on to say some shit like like for real, this is what we're doing, like speaking on the music that Nwa was that was getting popular, and just just.
Speaker 2: He said, woo tang was for the kids, and.
Speaker 1: Did he say like there was there was educational or positive and uplifting my nigga, my nigga. Ray Kwan said, he pointed a gun at his at a mother's knot.
Speaker 2: They they.
Speaker 3: It ain't no hate in the Wu Tang because we all no, it's.
Speaker 1: Not it's not even hating on Wu tang because they were expressing. They were expressing the same ship, were growing up in the projects, were living on Staten Island and Shallen that's that's our spot and that's how we get down.
Speaker 2: They words reflected where you know.
Speaker 3: All things. The rep was, I'm sorry to cut you up, but.
Speaker 1: You but you but but even not to cut you but you hear When he said that, the expressions from everyone in the room was like they sort of kind of laughed at one point, like nikko, you for real?
Speaker 3: Like whoa?
Speaker 2: Like they didn't he listen what he said?
Speaker 1: Like they destroyed the culture, the culture of what hip hop.
Speaker 3: That's what he pretty much said. And because tried to clean it up a little bit. He tried to clean it up and dress it up. So when I want to hear your takes you about to say something, I know you say some profound.
Speaker 4: My thing is this, when you listen to Cash rules everything around me? Can it all be so simple? These are not happy songs. They're very sad. It's gangster rap from the East Coast perspective, but it's also well I'd say it's more street reporting that type of stuff, because it's not gangbanging reality rap, schouty rapids street reporting. But my point is when they're when Ray Kwan and Inspector Deck and all the in particular, when they're doing their verses, they are not to Eight's point, they're not celebrating or in the hood. They're talking about the struggle, the problems today exactly the anger. And they're also doing it just as mc A did, just as Ice Cube did in their perspective, from the Staten Island perspective.
Speaker 3: To me, all reality rap was was a bunch of guys talking about their neighborhood from their now. I will admit, during about ninety five ninety six, once record companies discovered that gainst the rap was lucrative, you saw a bunch of crazy groups start popping up. There were ultra violent kind of like you know, but still entertainment.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, I want to say my nigga was high or something. Now that's what I was just say. I would say it was high or something. What he thought.
Speaker 3: They didn't think it through.
Speaker 1: You did me because I just don't see how you can even fix your mouth to say.
Speaker 4: There's some shit. There's two things of this one. Rap has a Rap did not start political. Rap started party Braggadio Show, which is a big misconception. So people have that in their mind, but it's not true. It was the Routines and the Braggadio Show. It was Cold Crush, it was Grandmaster Flashing and Fears five. It wasn't until years later that the political commentary came into rap. So first of a, well, let's make sure we understand that. But then beyond that, when an eight and steel, you guys both notice when there were pop rappers, people thought they were whack no sound, It wasn't any good. They liked some pop rap. So what I'm saying is every form, every subgenre of rap, just like every other form of music, there's gonna be good illustrations of it, there's gonna be bad, whether that's critically or commercially. And sometimes those intersects, sometimes they don't and and the problem is is, to me, the several of the problems are Gangster rap was so different and so powerful, which is why it became so popular. Beyond that, just like with pop rap, with conscious rap, with whatever other type of rap, backpack rap, some of it got popular, some of it didn't. Some of the artists were better, some of them weren't. When you have a dude just saying in this be that I'm gonna shoot up three thousand people, none of us are gonna sit here and say that's as good as Ice Tea or ice Cube or NWA. But that's with every type of rap. That's what every type of music. And at the end of the day, so on, it's entertainment. I tell you this. I've never went to a movie and saw a bunch of gratuitous violence and went outside and just started shooting people in the parking lot.
Speaker 3: No, I just thought it was a cool movie, right. I've listened to albums that where they may have took. You know, Ghetto Boys one of my favorite group. You know, as soon as we if we ever get to this list tonight, you know, Ghetto Boys one of my favorite group. Shout out to my boy Willie d me and him was on the phone all day to day talking about some stuff we were about to start doing. But they had some songs like assassins and stuff like that. I didn't take that as thinking that Bushwick was running around Houston a mind of a lunatic. I didn't take that the scarface was really sitting in the room somewhere with candles all around them, thinking of the people he murdered. You know what I mean, he would be in prison. I knew that I had. It's common sense, right, But I think what gangster Rap did, and I keep saying this, by me being the Midwest, it opened it really because I knew stuff had been going on the hood. You remember, you know, growing up in Cleveland. Before I left, I saw cracks starting to come in, right, and I saw guys that were my peers, guys of you know, either class above me or couple classes above me. Next thing, they riding down street and ninety eight Olds mobiles and they can hardly be over the thing. And they got the sounds, and you know, it's like everybody out there like, ooh, you see Corey got a new you see, he got a ninety eight olds more Bill the next thing, you know, he ain't come to class no more, but he in the parking lot after school and he got a not full of money because he going to go buy everybody Hamburgers at the spot. Meet me over here, we want to go buy Hamburgers. So for a minute, that image, I would replay that image in my mind and think, man, I'm trying to do this football shit. Man, maybe y'all need to stay here and get my hustle on. They getting rich, I'm gonna miss out on something. You know, I didn't know because when you're young, impressing it. But right what I didn't know is that a lot of those guys would wind up in prison, you know, eight nine years later in some cases earlier. Right, But gangster rap didn't make none of them dudes go out there and sell dope. That was there. I remember when I grew up, before we bought our house right on one hundred and third, we lived in a street called Chester. There was an apartment building in the back. You know how they was soaring back that way. You got those apartments and they got a thing under him. You would see needles all outside. Because I remember my mom beating my ass one day because I went outside with no shoes.
Speaker 5: On because she didn't want you to step on.
Speaker 3: She didn't want me to step on the needle. It was the needles everywhere and gangst the wrap. What in existence? We was listening to Bootsy callings and all that stuff. It wasn't so what would we go out and blamed Bootsy for the heroin epidemic that was going on in Cleveland at that time?
Speaker 5: Crack was predated gangster.
Speaker 3: Rap exactly, That's what I'm saying. So specially it sounded like he'd been sitting in the special leed class.
Speaker 1: I don't think he'd been sitting in a special leg class. I don't want digg him out that hard, you know what I'm saying. I just feel like in some positions, like I say, when he started rapping when he was seventeen, like I said, his his his youth or how he grew up was a reflection of what he wrote about. I'm a I'm a i'm an MC.
Speaker 3: You get me.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna rap about you know, being double old fucking seven and shit like that and on missions and I'm gonna just I'm gonna make feel good records.
Speaker 3: You feel me.
Speaker 1: Let my nigga grew up in in fucking the projects in the Bronx and got his ass beat a couple of times, and Mama was on crack, and you know, Pops was in the pin for you know, hustling heroin and shit like that. I'm pretty sure his story would have been different. Uh, to be an artist, you know, this game is kind of petition. It's not designated for whoever. You know, you put our good music, motherfucker's gonna love it. I mean shit, he had a gold fucking album when he fucking dropped, you know, because that's what represented hip hop at the time.
Speaker 3: I still say HL kind of letting him off the hook. I still say a lot of his words were based on malice in his heart, whether it's and I say hold on whether subconscious or conscious. Because the way he said that, you could see he was just real deliberate, like, okay, y'all really doing this right now, I'm gonna go in. They ruined everything. He might as well came out and said, man, my record sales slowed up after that. People stopped fucking with me because they wanted to hear that shit over there. And I was done. I was out. Of here.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's true, but he's not gonna admit to that. I'm not gonna turn around and admit to man, they kind of killed my career. Instead of saying they killed my career, I'm gonna say they destroyed the culture. You get me. I'm not gonna say they killed my career because shit, I'm nigga. I'm I'm special fucking head, specially so. But what I'm gonna say is because my direction wasn't that for the almighty pure hip hop? And again New York is the mecca and the birth of hip hop. So for him to be one of those four front niggas, you know, he was one of the four fathers of the beginning of hip hop. With as as the aspect of how I look at it, nigga, you can ask me about special Lad and I'd be like, Nigga, that motherfucker nigga that everybody banged that all the time. It was good music. I was a specially ad fan. I still am a special fan. But after after getting introduced to hip hop and me roam in the streets of Campton and seeing my influence, to you more, I don't bang no special d no more. I'm gonna go bang me some BDP. I'm gonna go bang me some just ice. I'm gonna go bang me some PSK from school e D. I'm gonna go bang me some niggas that I feel that is relevant soil my growing up in lifestyles. You get me, so no disrespect. I'm not gonna turn AVERD. Just like when hip hop started, I bang fucking tone Lok.
Speaker 3: I played a little Young y C is actually the first open crypt record.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 3: But but but his.
Speaker 1: Popularity came from Wow, dang young C. You wanted you I bang. It was exactly I banged that. But when I got introduced to niggas who was walking my walk, When I got introduced to a fucking nice tea or the fucking dub C or fucking whatever, that's my music. You get me not to say I didn't still bang some of that other shit. I still banged me some motherfucking Pete Rock and Coos Mooth or some tried call quest. But when it was time for me to write my lyrics, I'm finna tell you about nigga. Last night, Nigga, we was coming home and niggas dumped on us. The homie was at the burger stand getting him some food, and then niggas came through and jacked him.
Speaker 2: And laid him down.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm gonna tell you about the bitch over here who got three babies by three different niggas from three different enemy hoods, and a nigga went to go see his baby and he got smoked.
Speaker 3: You get me.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you that because I'm a gang banging nigga representing the hood. When I try to change my motherfucking life and go get a job, ain't shit finna work for me because I got a fucking record, and shit, that's what I'm finna tell you about.
Speaker 3: You gotta talk about that because those can't you were a voice for the voiceless.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you about hey man, that's hey. Life is a party and today we popping bottles or and not even at that time like whatever, like niggas rapped about because there were records.
Speaker 3: You get me.
Speaker 1: Well, but nigga, I'm flenna tell you about what went on and tried New Park last night and what happened to niggas over here and who got killed and who this and who I need to inform niggas because I really just.
Speaker 2: What I'm going through every day, Well, you fuck the rap shit.
Speaker 3: Well, before we go any further on, we go into a break, but I was looking at the time we better go into come back with those top fifty gangster rap albums of all time, because I know you got to. You got your list of nights on yep, so we can continue on. We'll be right back. Okay, we're back with more gangst the Chronicles. You know, we've been talking about gangster rap for the pretty much the last forty five minutes, right, I think it's time we get into our list. So all right, you ready?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: So here's from what are we doing from twenty to ten or twenty to fifteen since we're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just do twenty to fifteen.
Speaker 3: Just through twenty to fifteen a week, continue out and I think I kind of want to close it out next week or probably a week after.
Speaker 5: From fifteen to one.
Speaker 1: No, you go twenty to fifteen to night and then fifteen to ten and then then we'll do another one because I want to do something big for that top ten.
Speaker 4: So to me, here's and obviously we're all gonna be voting later and putting it in. But twenty I got fifty cent give Richard die Trying. Nineteen, I got Mob Deep Murder Music. Eighteen, I got Scarfaced The Diary. Seventeen, I got iced t OG six.
Speaker 3: Well, you got the Diary at number eighteen and get rich of Die Trent Man, that's the cold list, man, Just wait.
Speaker 5: Seventeen. I got ice TG sixteen, I got Coolie Wrapped, Polo Live and let Die fifteen. I got Uncle Sam's Curse.
Speaker 3: I like that at fifteen. I like Uncle Sam's Curse at number fifteen. This top teen is gonna be a motherfucker dog hop fifteen.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, you think about it, man, get Richard die Trying. When fifty came with that first album, he what did you think about it? I thought it was a breath of fresh air from all the singy SONGI shit that was going on. You know, we was in that era. You know, we was in the era of h baller terrific and flossiness and you know, G five planes and wagons and you know, and you was either you was either balling or you was you was in love. You get me on rap records, that's all rap records. Was back then between the that era. You know, my man jah Ruh.
Speaker 1: Had that had that run where everything was sing songy.
Speaker 3: And I was coming with his though dogs I had.
Speaker 1: Which was which was you know, no disrespect, but like I said, that's what it was. You know, everything was the party, you know, the party raps and you know the women and the bikinis and the pares and well.
Speaker 3: I would like to think in part what was going on in New York at that time. Puffy had a huge presence. Bad Boy Records had a huge presence, and that's what they did because you look at Big even though he was a reality rap rapper. To me, you know, Biggie talked that street shit like a motherfucker, right. But you know, with Puff, he was always gonna make the hooks real grandiose and there's gonna be a lot of singing. It was gonna be bridges in the songs and shit like that. It was gonna be a lot of dancing and siny suits. So it was a welcome departure from that because fifty brought some of the same elements, but he did it almost Nick g Way and when he got with those boys from the West Coast, you know when he got with Doctor Dre it was just on another level because it was a lot of excitement generated around that album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's like I said at the time, it was the love making Champagne era.
Speaker 3: I know you probably hated that shit, didn't you.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: Y'all gotta understand some people. Eight is the Stephen King, a fucking rep. He's everything dark and sinister. Not that it's dark and sinister, but.
Speaker 1: I'm not. I'm like my nigga Rokim Man. I ain't no joke. Man, you feel me. And it's a time and a place for all that. I mean, we have all kinds of artists. You know, everything is you know, lights and flash and you know, look at me, and you know, look how many girls I can fuck, and how much money I could spend, and how much champagne and bottle popping and you know that.
Speaker 3: She was popping doing that era. Man, did you ever get an exec come to you and say, hey, man, we want to get you some Timberland beats?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he's from the.
Speaker 3: For rail in them, and have you start doing some other stuff. If I just saw you in the shiny suit dog.
Speaker 1: That I had to go through that era because like I said, at the time, all the labels were trying to back away from the reality situation sleep what was going down, because you know over there with the we used to fight. We used to and then we used to fight like a motherfucker man. We used to fight conventions and jack the rappers and all that. We used to fight niggas and do all that ship because you know, we was bringing our beefs and our element from back home and you know, into the rap world because niggas didn't understand that.
Speaker 5: It was real.
Speaker 1: I'm still from the streets music seminar.
Speaker 2: All that type of ship.
Speaker 1: So and then, like I said, when Iced Tea came a cop killer, and then we had all the bit ship, you know with with dog in them and the too Short then we had all the gangster ship with eight and the Quicks and all that ship.
Speaker 5: And even though it wasn't gangster two Life Crew.
Speaker 1: With what happened with with POC made labels start going, we don't want to touch that ship. And then you know sug was around here whooping niggas asses and all that shit. So it made motherfuckers get scared. That's came the era of security in the lobbies at record labels and shit like.
Speaker 3: Oh all that. It got shut down once death Ro came because you know, I got my job with the first publishing company. I was with minor music then, right, And I remember they had sent me to Warner Brothers to go we had some sync business, right, and I was used to just building the building and going to go see what I see. They said, no, we need your ID. You gotta wait right here, the dude gotta come you underside end. We need to see your driver's license. And I was like, damn, what the hell is going on? Priority in started a whole like like a bank vault. Yeah, like a bank vault security, Like you not getting up in this motherfucker without no appointment. So but yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was that different time of labels trying to change the format of hip hop, and you know, like I said, that's the era we got introduced to a lot of the flashy, puffy and you know, the jar rules and all that. So when fifty dropped, you know, get Rich of DoD Try and it was just refreshing, man, because it was on some neighbor it was on some to me. I considered it on some Street.
Speaker 3: Ship against against them.
Speaker 1: And to me, it kind of changed the format and and and and unlocked the door, you know, because they try to lock us out. But after that drop, it kind of made the the sustaining of reality rap or niggas basically who didn't want to party and dance. Favor gave us the chance to come back because you know, Snoop dropped and then you know, Dre and then came came, and then you know, then we had the T I S and then you know, all of it. So it kind of gave us a lane again to you know, get all get all our sustainability back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think during that time, Man and fifty don't get the credit that he deserve oftentimes for that album because it was a phenomenal album, and I think people wanted to see him. He was got so big where people actually wanted to see him lose after a while, I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he had built himself up through the mixtapes in the Street album so hard that.
Speaker 3: He was under now boil. You couldn't stop him. It wasn't no black ball, and the black ball and didn't work on him because it was almost like him being shot Lin credence to his whole career. You feel what I'm saying. It was almost like him getting shot and then him It was almost like the same shit with pop like you know, you know, And after a while it was like I used to hear motherfuckers talk like, man, you know what if a rapper gets shot, to blow up and I don't even think. Man, some of this show, you start seeing people orchestrating fake shootings and shit like that, you know what I'm saying. And that was part of the reason why I got Mike job at that time, because before I'd applied to a few labels and wouldn't nobody get me. But then once people started running up in the moment officers, I think they wanted brothers like me up in there to try to stop people. And I told them, I see, I'm not security. If y'all want to hire security, y'all get that. Hey, norms, I'll get those buzzes sometimes. Can you go see what these guys want? I'm like, man, that's not my fucking department. Y'all go see what he wants. He here for his fucking chick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my I'm gonna go. I ain't got no list, but I know my twenty to fifteen I'm gonna go King t Actor Food album incredible. I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go to the first East Siders album.
Speaker 3: Deuces and Trades, the first first ones called east Siders. Okay, that's hard.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go.
Speaker 5: Beef is my favorite song.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go that. I'm gonna go to Jao What You're Gonna Do album?
Speaker 3: Man, I love that album.
Speaker 5: It's a great album.
Speaker 2: My favorite song on there is easy to Get in Jail.
Speaker 3: It was hard thangs.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm gonna go Above the Law the Living like Hustler's album.
Speaker 5: Phenomenal.
Speaker 1: And then my fifteen I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go there. I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go Scarface The World is Yours man.
Speaker 3: Really I like that man, Yeah, that's good. You went back on Yeah. Yeah, people forget about that album.
Speaker 4: Got a lot of scarface on here, a lot of scarface coming up too.
Speaker 3: I actually had that higher The World Is Yours. I like that album. Yeah. He had that song on there you feel Me, the one where even having a hook on it a new day. You know what I'm saying. You know, start off like that and all I gotta do is thank God for my mother. That was a hard song right there. That was dope right.
Speaker 5: There, Faces one of the ever.
Speaker 1: And I bangs that shit today and motherfucking I got it. The other one higher though. My favorite cut though, that Jesse James.
Speaker 3: Man, Oh, Jesse James, that bum bum bump bump bump bum bum bum bum. And that's when Mike Dean started coming out there, because you know, Luk Jay has sent Mike Dean out here to kind of.
Speaker 1: Sit up under Dragon around this motherfucker started to do. You Like Jesse James, that shit was cold. I mean that motherfucker record right there is killer.
Speaker 4: But that's the the beauty of Scarface is that, like you eight to survive in the different errors, different production styles, but be able to maintain who he was as an artist. And like we even had early on deeply rooted. I mean that's like a twenty fifteen album, yeah deep We got albums that are spending like twenty plus years. So it's a beautiful thing. It's Scarface. Those that know, I think give Faced a lot of credit, but I think he deserves more every time.
Speaker 3: So you got so you would consider King T is against the rapper. I always thought the LIX was like a hip hop collective, like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the Lis is not. That's not King T. King T is, that's his crew.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but King T spoke of of hood themes and he spoke a neighborhood an the licks. The Licks was all about, like I say, uh, you have some artists who are outside of what we call reality rap niggas is just artists and they make songs in their art form, you know, and that's like the alcoholics. That's like fucking the souls of mischief to me. You know, that's exactly league. You know, people have their own lanes for their music.
Speaker 5: And remember the Nuns. I always loved the Nuns. The Nuns.
Speaker 3: I used to say that album got the rhymes and beats that it was harder.
Speaker 2: Remember the Militia Niga man that ship that all.
Speaker 1: That shout out told.
Speaker 5: There's a lot and that's the other thing.
Speaker 1: But like I said, that's the that's the other side of hip hop. You know, everybody is in you know, neighborhood. You know artists, you know we have we have artists that you know are different in.
Speaker 3: Form, special ed you feel me. Ship.
Speaker 1: Everybody doesn't. Everybody has not walked the life of underprivilege. You know what I'm saying. You wouldn't expect that from a motherfucker who grew up outside of you or or across the tracks over here. Man, it's dark over there. It's light, great schools, you know what I'm saying. Parents together, motherfucking you know, clean up your room and mold the front yard and walk the dog. It's motherfuckers who come from that lifestyle. But it's motherfuckers who still come from the projects and hard life and can't get a job and got a record and gotta sell dope and niggas talking about choices and shit, but you don't have them feel me. So the music reflects where you come from.
Speaker 6: This is what I say, absolutely absolutely all right, man, you're gonna get you hard tesk. Okay, here I go. You'll want to go from fifteen on up to ten. No, we're going from twenty to fifteen, from.
Speaker 3: Twenty to fifteen, Okay, jail feeling me? What you go do? My deep murder music dove Ce and djil lettin Low Profile, Low Profile, the Low Profile album mom Exist Weapons of Mass Destruction that was against the Wrap album to me, Notorious Big, Ready to Die fifty, get rich of that.
Speaker 2: Trying weapons of mass destruction.
Speaker 3: That was a good man. That's the one that. Don't correct me if I'm wrong with that. They had some bangs and I thought that was against the Wrap album. To me, I would have said this. I would have said the first record, the one would get your walk get your walk on.
Speaker 5: That's Restless.
Speaker 3: Yes, I say Restless.
Speaker 2: I like Restless.
Speaker 4: Restless is well, Restless is my That is an amazing album.
Speaker 2: Restless.
Speaker 3: What I'm changing my picking.
Speaker 1: I'm picking because yeah, get your walk on his wrestless, restless.
Speaker 3: Guy, some shit confused.
Speaker 2: Restless gotless and they got the motherfucking that.
Speaker 3: Was gainst the Wrap.
Speaker 4: To me, that ship was hard as he Get your walk on, that's a battle cat did that and that.
Speaker 1: To Nigga got the old no, let's get drunk and yeah, that was my ship. That ship was just right there with the with the rest.
Speaker 3: I changed that.
Speaker 2: Motherfuckers cracking.
Speaker 3: That was a gangster rap album because when I heard that album, I was going to Vegas with my wife.
Speaker 2: Got the song on there with Nate Dog too.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of and that was when we first You remember that.
Speaker 1: Was like the last phase of CDs, right, that was like the findest little phase of the CDs.
Speaker 3: Right, remember when CS is big. That was like in that final phase of people putting on physical units, right when people actually had to go out and sell records with all all this fake ship that's going on now, right. I remember I was going from here to Vegas and I banged that motherfucking Wrestless album the whole time, just kept bring it back because that beat was just so hard. And I had, like, I just got a competition sound system put in my truck. I had an expedition at that time, right, that's when the expeditions was. I had a navigator and I just got like a big sound system put in there. And when that I could drink a whole Hennessy fifth something. Call it the problem, but I'm call it a gift. Just the way that was hitting with the bump bump bump, I was like, dun you was just jamming all the way. The thing that shit was hard. Shout out to exhibit Exhibit is underrated as fuck, man. I think they exhibit and all them cats, man, we got a lot of underrated cats. Out of here. Man. Yeah, there's no decided to go to get good music.
Speaker 1: Man, see a lot of good music that came from the element I guess of what we call reality rap because it's not all about gangster shit because everybody wasn't claiming the neighborhood. So I got a lot of dudes who's underrated as far as you know, as far as this this list goes, it's it's been a lot of classic music that people have probably forgotten about, uh, And I'm reminded every time, you know, we do this ship about uh, the greatness and where hip hop came from. Absolutely, I said I was a nigga listening to fucking I was a nigga listening to fucking from cool g rap to motherfucking mixed Master Spade. Man, I've and it's just so much good music and take it all and it's.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, and it's never ending. Like you know, we're doing this listen to top fifty things. Again. These are just our opinions, right, but we I say they're somewhat subjective opinions. We're not up here just trying to force nothing. We got a voted system and y'all let us know what y'all think man in the comments, Man, y'all might tell us all listens full of y'all might tell us me full of shit.
Speaker 2: I believe y'all were one more boss deeper.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I forgot about that was hard man killed her off the bag.
Speaker 2: That shit about ten times all the way up here.
Speaker 3: Bad.
Speaker 1: I couldn't get enough of it, and we saying I got the five scales of trying to get the watts, but I'm stuck in ballwin here. She used to flow like a mother and that sample was hard to the first that that was my sample. Yeah, they sped it up, dud. That's the hood took me up to remix, man, that was all that man. Boss was my peoples.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I was in.
Speaker 2: I'm in her video process of elimination.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They came to LA and shot the video and hit me up. Niggas was always hitting me up to come of getting a video.
Speaker 3: Where is Boss still alive?
Speaker 1: That's the time I heard Boss. She was in Detroit on the radio. That was the last time I heard of.
Speaker 5: Her, and I heard she was having some serious hot Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because somebody is Because I heard she had got real sick, so shot out the boss Man if anybody else did know Boss, tell her to get at us. I would love to have her on the show. Man on the show. I would love to have Boss on the show.
Speaker 5: And the crazy thing is.
Speaker 4: When I got the album Boring Gangsters, and then I was listening to it and reading the credits and like work. She did a lot of stuff with Def Jeff, who's also very underrated and underpre.
Speaker 3: Dope a producer to as well as.
Speaker 4: Incredible and Eric Sermons. She had a very very excellent album and very unexpected, I guess would be another I.
Speaker 3: Think what it was. I know some stuff that came out about her, like a lot of other people that oh she's not really against and no, I didn't give a fuck. She made dope ass music.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I moved. Her album is incredible.
Speaker 3: I don't think Stephen King really out there you know, shopping, you know what I'm saying. I don't think he really no serial killer, nothing like that. I think he just made really incredible horror movies.
Speaker 5: Right, he'd have more bodies than about anybody.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, for sure. Man, Before we get out of here, I'm gonna tell y'all again, just one more update. Man.
Speaker 1: It said she had a major stroke and seizure in twenty seventeen. Oh wow, And in twenty twenty one a gofund me was set up to raise fifteen grand So ain't.
Speaker 3: They just said how our hip hop artist man like our people that was in the cultry, just get left hand. But what i've what i've I think I'm a union. I think I said this a couple of shows back. It's crazy how you can go work for one of these big major corporations right now, you know, just a regular worker general motors or hospital or whatever. You get medical right. You would think that when an artist signs to a major label or whatever, that in their contract they would stipulate they give me some of that fucking Universal or Sony health insurance because they have self assurance for the rest of the employees. The right.
Speaker 1: You better you got them from the motherfucker mailing the papers to the nigga, pushing the janitor ship, cleaning up the offices.
Speaker 3: You're really the motherfuckers, you know, providing the capital for that business there. Why would why you know, one of the most important employees. They should won't have you nice and healthy? That's a good point, you should. We would, we would have thought about that though. You give me I heard products you had that written into his agreement though for mob Deep, you know, the rest of Peace Pride, because you know he had sick of Seale. He had that written to they contract man, that they get health insurance. It wouldn't be hard for them to do, though, Bro, you got it for everybody.
Speaker 1: Else in that mean But I guess you know as a as a young motherfucker, and you know a lot of us young signed on contracts and whatever. The last thing you're thinking about is, yeah, man, throw in my contract. Nigga, I get five years free health insurance and dental. Nigga, you ain't thinking about that like your thing is, Nigga, I need two fifty three hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: I need a million right now? Do you pay for your insurance? Rell?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So you gotta pay, and I'm pretty sure that the premium is high as hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that would have been a hell of a You get me in your contract. H Okay, don't even trip. What y'all want to give me? Two fifty? Fuck that two fifty. Give me two twenty five and I want five year? How long is my contract? What y'all getting five albums? Okay, for the next five to seven years. I'm want free health.
Speaker 3: Insurance because you know what, it allows you to do what it allows you to actually get cobra an event like let's say your you know, career ends or whatever. You can take that insurance that give you now give it a discounted rate of pretty much what they're paying for it, and you can continue to pay that premium yourself, which is gonna be a lot cheaper than if you would have winn in and got that on your own.
Speaker 1: I mean, because what I just made you ten million fucking dollars, right, That's.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying. They only gave you, yeah, yeah, percent of it anyway, throwing some health insurance for them.
Speaker 1: Like you said, y'all ain't finna give me when I'm supposed to get You know what I'm saying, giving me, y'all giving me it should.
Speaker 3: Be fucked five years lifetime because they've already made it. It's not gonna cost them nothing to do that.
Speaker 5: Wow, a year after the contract's over.
Speaker 2: Oh what dog?
Speaker 1: Keep my ship for as long as you want to keep making so you trying what you're finish, Hold my ship, my publishing and all that shit for the next thirty years. I can't own my ship for the next thirty years. Okay, so far as long as it suld be. Because you're technically you can argue that's a hell of a case. You could argue that you're one of the I mean of the business. Now you out there doing this and that if you was a sales rep for him. Let's say you were the highest earning sales rep for that company, right, you so more CDs than the company anybody else, to all the change stores and everybody, they gonna make sure that motherfucker don't false center. I wonder if the I wonder if the big time artists do that. I wonder if the Beyonce's and the Taylor Swifts in the money.
Speaker 3: They got so much motherfucker money, I'm pretty sure get it.
Speaker 1: But still wouldn't you want them to fuck that bill? Hell yeah, this shit, because let's think about it. Yeah, I'm making a gang of money. But how much is you making?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: How much is you making?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think on my new contract negotiations, I want you to pay for the next five to ten years of my health insurance. Take it out of whatever the fuck you getting already.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah. And on another note, I got a couple of other thing things where we go, Let's keep the homie crazy bowing up in prayers right now. Everybody know, you know your part was a part of the Digital Soap Bikes family for a long time and still family. You know, that's hometown right there, Crazy, We're praying for you, man. And Exhibit went in on specially.
Speaker 5: M I didn't see what I saw.
Speaker 1: I saw one of his comments, and I actually replied to Exhibit on one of his comments, and I said that not to go back on this ship, but I said that this lifestyle wasn't for everyone.
Speaker 3: Get me.
Speaker 1: A lot of people can't understand, you know, because let's face a niggas start game bang and was dumb, you know, and some of them still do. And we got a lot of that from when I was coming up and when I first started coming in the Rap gang. Uh, when we would venture out to different places and whatever. People didn't understand the lifestyle of game banging.
Speaker 3: Well, it's what Exhibit said though. He said, Man, that's my family treat right there. I don't go out of my way to discourage people from expressing their opinions about hip hop, But fuck this shit special legs you out of pocket, don't make it hard for yourself. We're still active, bro.
Speaker 1: And I think that's the comment I replied to Like I said, this lifestyle wasn't for everyone. This walk of life isn't for everybody. It's hard for niggas to understand. And then when you got a motherfucker who's in uh again, it's competition, you get me, it's competition. And for a nigga who feels like he is in a position to where he should be recognized or respected or in a bigger place, and then you get some niggas to come along and slap you off your pedestal. And now we don't even want to hear what you gotta say. These niggas is kicking real shit that I want a mother, I want to hear. So last it was, it was. It was one of them scenarios where I don't think a nigga thought before he spoke, you know what I'm saying. You get put in front of these cameras and you get asked questions. A lot of people aren't articulate, you know, a lot of people aren't intelligent, you know, and a lot of people in interviews they say shit that I'm probably thinking they would go back and look upon and be like, why the fuck did I say that? Or put myself in that position on the last note of that. You know, I've seen corrupting them and dazzing them. They got on a little stream with Special LD, and you know a lot of people were making the comment that he was trying to backpedal because now.
Speaker 2: It was I think he said that correct.
Speaker 3: Was they were.
Speaker 1: They were they were brainwashed by the record labels too to portray this or to man that was easy and I'm just up there making music. It wasn't, you know, because I guess. I guess because he's been getting a lot of flak. Now we're gonna put it on the pressure of the record labels to push them to that narrative.
Speaker 3: Well, one thing I want to say is that this was America and that brother does have freedom of speak.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 3: I don't think nobody mad at especially I'm not. I don't think nobody, and shit, nobody. If somebody out there thinking about putting their hands on that man and something, I don't think it's that he has the right to have his opinion. You know what, I mean, he has the right to have an opinion. We're supposed to and.
Speaker 1: Slap a nigga mode because of your opinions. It's just that, uh, we feel a little insulted by saying that our foundation of hip hop is the destruction of and for him to direct it at saying like your youth, your youth and the youth in the state of youth hip hop and what's happening today is because Nwa was allowed to say fuck the police, or Nwa was allowed to say I'm straight out of Compton. You know, that's just fucking ludicrous and it sounds dumb. And you know, some niggas need to educate themselves a little more on the differences of of hip hop, like you know what I'm saying, Educate yourselves on the situations that a lot of us West Coast artists had to climb through to even get the respect that we get today as far as being hip hop artist period, because they.
Speaker 3: Didn't want to see in you give me.
Speaker 4: The first time I ever remember hearing this shout out to Willie D was on Do It Like a Geo, which was nineteen eighty nine, when he said the East coachs ain't playing my song.
Speaker 5: I want to know what the hell's going on?
Speaker 4: And it was bottom line is, in nineteen eighty nine, it was already known that non New York rap was look down upon.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 1: We ain't get no respect period. I mean I used to hear you promo tours, and you know, Sony was in New York. So every time it was time to re up and do a new record, you had to go to New York. And I thought, you know, I thought it was really a waste of time going around doing in stores and all of that, because I'd be like, nobody's gonna buy music to drive by record in New York.
Speaker 3: We're not New York artists. So line was around the corner when you went up there, I thought it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I sold records in New York, but it was totally different than when you went.
Speaker 3: To a Chicago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you go to warehouse in Chicago, it's three hundred people out this music room. You go to the fucking San Francisco up to Tower Records, it's a line around the block in the corner.
Speaker 2: It's a thousand people in line.
Speaker 3: When we come strap dropped.
Speaker 1: You go to Cleveland, Detroit, fucking Arizona. Every time you get an inch store, it was a thousand people waiting.
Speaker 3: West was a big market for you. Dog, West's huge market because even to this day shot at the homely Big Court. But he was telling me that, you know, from the Holding Court podcast, right, he was telling me he was like, Man, I bought eight CD man when I was you know, a kid man, And I love it because you know, he was asking about eight coming on his show, right, and he was just telling me how hoighly the high esteem that he held him up there was, you know what I mean? And I try to tell eight all the time because he ate is, mister, I'm regular person, right, I'm like eight, You are never just going to be a regular person. Some of these people, these people grew up listening to you. Dog. Yeah, I hate that shit, but it is. It was dought. They love your ass.
Speaker 6: Dog.
Speaker 3: I hate that shit, but it is what it is. Man, Take up with the fucking territory for sure. Man, Thank you guys for tuning in this week, man, and we out of here. Make sure y'all go follow us at the Gangster Chronicles podcast where you at.
Speaker 1: Eight at eight oh eight eight oh eight, Man, y'all know what it is eight oh eight on Instagram Book eight Time to jail.
Speaker 5: And Sworn Baker at Sworn Baker.
Speaker 3: And make sure y'all go check eight has a really not eight. I'm sucking up. Someone has a really dope show, Unique Access. I was trying to throw you alive as Access.
Speaker 5: Check it out on YouTube.
Speaker 3: On YouTube Man really dope interviews and videos Man with guys from Yesteryear and the guys if today is really well around it, man, go check it out, please do, and we out of here. Jill