Speaker 1: It's an all out AI war between Chat, GPT and Google. I'll explain what both companies announced this week. New accessibility features coming to Apple, Google and Samsung. The website with promo codes that actually work. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on on rich Dedmiro And this is rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Phone lines are open at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also open. Just go to rich on Tech dot tv and hit contact. Guests on the show this week, C Scott Brown, Senior editor at Android Authority, is going to discuss all things Google Io twenty twenty four. Then we've got Jenny Blackburn, VP of User Design for Gemini Experiences and Google Assistant. She's gonna explain how to use Google Gemini AI Assistant. Yes, this week was all about Google Io and it was a good one. So as I said, it is an all out war between Chat GPT and Google. Google's AI is called Gemini, so this week was pretty unique. Google had a long standing event scheduled for Tuesday called Google Io. It's a big event where they show off all the things that they've been working on for the year and they show off new features that are coming soon, especially of course with AI. But not to be outdone, just about a week before the event was supposed to happen, what does open AI do? They say, Hey, we're having an event on Monday, the day before Google's event. Perfect timing. So the Open Ai event was not It didn't seem to be open to journalists. I think they had people in the audience, but I'm not sure who they were. It was just mostly the people on stage showing off stuff. Small event, but they unveiled GPT four to oh, so this is a new flavor of their chat GPT that's even smarter. And the new term across all the ais is multi modal. What does that mean. It means that instead of just typing your questions, you can now do text, you can do voice, you can do vision. So it's a combination of things. It understands various inputs. Now we've had text, voice, and vision before, but now it continues to get better, and video is pretty much the new thing that these AI are very good at understanding. So they showed off a whole bunch of demos of all kinds of cool stuff. The entire event was about twenty six minutes. You can watch the video on YouTube. It just gives you a really good understanding of what's to come with Open AI and chat GBT, and you understand why chat GBT has become a household name. It's smooth, it's fluid, and in the future, very near future, it's going to become even more natural. The real time conversation aspect is getting amazing, So they demoed where you can talk to this chat GPT as you would a human, and you could even interrupt them mid sentence while the thing's talking back to you. You could just interrupt and change gears whatever you want, just like you would a real human. And the real time video interaction is particularly interesting because you can now just point your phone at things and say, hey, what's this or how can I use this? What's this four? And it's just another way of kind of absorbing the world's knowledge. So the new voice mode is coming in the next couple of weeks. Now, one of the neat things they did was they are making this new level of chat GBT four oh available to everyone. So once you go on to chat GBT, it may say, hey, you've been upgraded to chat GBT four. Oh that's what mine said yesterday, and it's free. Now. I will tell you. You're like, well, why should I pay twenty bucks to get all these features? What's chatchibt plus that generally gave you the access to this higher level of you know, smarts. Well, there are limits to how much you can use it. So I started using it with the added features, and after just a couple of chats back and forth, it was like, oh, now if you want to keep going, you got to pay or we're going to drop you down to the three point five. So again, lots of cool things coming from chat gbt open a kind of staying ahead of the game. There's also a desktop app which I did download for the Mac Windows is coming later and that brings chatchybt right into your desktop system with a quick shortcut keyboard shortcut. It is. It is pretty wild. So what did Google do the next day? These stakes were high for Google because Google is the search leader. Google started their presentation by saying, look, we've been working on AI for a long time, fifteen years, okay, So they made it very clear that they know their stuff when it comes to AI. Now their AI model is called Gemini, and again Gemini is getting smarter. It's now multi modal, which means it can handle text, it can handle images, it can handle video, it can handle code, and it's becoming just smarter and more fluid. So a couple of things that they announced AI agents. So these aiag they have an idea where you may just say to your AI, hey, can you return these shoes for me? And you take a picture of the shoes that you just bought. It will go into your Gmail, find that order number, It will find the information and fill out the form on how to return them. It will even contact the pickup company like UPS or FedEx and get you a return pickup date. Now that's a pie in the sky idea. That's where they think this can go. They didn't say when that's coming out, but that's kind of like where they think things are going, where things are actually going, and where things are happening in the next couple of months. Is here number one Google Search getting AI overviews. Now, if you say, rich, I already have this in my Google Search. Yes, if you opted into the AI experiments on Google, you might have been seeing this already. When you type in something on Google up at the top, it gives you kind of an AI generated overview of that topic. I call it a book report, but it provides quick, detailed answers to complex questions. Now, the big question here is Google Search going to be impacted by this, especially the advertising aspect. Google makes a lot of money by showing US ads at the top of our search results. You click a couple of those ads. That's how they make a bulk of their money. By having an AI overview where you just get the answer without having to really click anything, that's a problem for their advertisers. Now, of course, Google says it will not be a problem, but that remains to be seen how they're going to walk that fine line of still making gobs of money but providing answers very quickly with AI. Another new feature in Google Photos ask Photos. This allows you, instead of just putting in one keyword for your Google Photo collection, like beach, you can now say show me where I went to the beach last year and my best pictures from that trip, and it will find those pictures and unearth them. You can say what's my license plate number, and it will figure out which car you continually drive on a recent basis, find the picture that you took of your license plate, and tell you that license plate number. Another example they gave, Hey, when did my kid learn how to swim? It will look through all the pictures of your kid and figure out when they learn to swim. This is wild stuff, but again kind of pie in the sky. They're gonna this is gonna roll out soon, but they will have this and I can't wait to try this. First question, I'm gonna ask, Hey, show me all my duplicates of my library because I need to clear those out. Then they're putting Gemini, which is again their AI, into all of their apps. So we're talking Gmail, we're talking Docs. Any app that Google makes AI is going to be built in. So for Gmail, for instance, you can say, Hey, summarize all the recent emails I got from my kids' school, and what are my action steps, like what do I need to respond to And it will be smart enough to go into your Gmail and figure that out. When you're working on a document, you can say, hey, help me brainstorm this, or you know, help me write this, or look at my last presentation in Drive and help me make a better one this time around, and it will go into Google Drive and find out all that stuff. Now, Google says this is all done very privately, So even though it can access your documents, and it can access your Gmail and it can access your photos, it's not using any of your data to train its large language models, so it is keeping that information private. And then finally they mentioned that they're going to start flagging any of their AI generated content with a special watermark so that it can be identified. And the other demo I got in person, which was really really cool, was called Project Astra. This is again what I mentioned with open AI and chat GBT. It's a very new way of interacting with AI using the video camera on your phone. So you would just point your phone at something like they gave the example of a record player that's not working, or actually that was a different example, but you could just point your phone pretty much anything and say hey, where am I what does it look like? And they'd say, oh, it looks like you're in London. Right now based on you know, what we're seeing around you, or hey, show me stop when I when I get to a speaker, and you know, you can just pan your camera around the room and when you get to a speaker, it'll say, oh, I see a speaker. I mean, it's just really really new and interesting ways of interacting with all of the world's information, and access to information is just going to continue to get better. The flip side of all of this is that these AI models need to be trained, and the big question in the future is how are we going to train these things? Where are they getting the training data? If everything you've searched on the web is a summary for the next five years, that's going to be great. But when people stop writing articles because everything's summarized now, where does the new information come from? When everyone's generating images using AI, Where are we getting original art from? Where are we getting original music from? This is the new question that is going to be a rising with the rise of AI. All right, coming up on today's show, we're going to talk about new accessibility features coming soon. But first it's your term. Give me a call triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you have a question about technology, phone lines are open. Let's go to Manny in Covina, California. Manny, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 2: Hey, mister Rich, good show. Listen. I have a different inquiry. It's the beginning of technology. I have a textbook and I was wondering if your opinion on the value of the Learning to Use Work Perfect five point zero, Slash five point one, Lotus one two three and Database three plus. The authors are Gary B. Shelley and Thomas J. Casmin. What do you think? Should I donate it? Do you want it? I mean, but I'd like to get some money for it. I looked online and I didn't really find too much on whether I can buy one. I wanted to see what the query would say. It did say that there are like maybe two available, so I think it's rare. So your opinion.
Speaker 1: What's the book called again.
Speaker 2: Learning to Use Work Perfect five point zero, Flash five point one, Lotus one two three and Database three plus dBase three plus.
Speaker 1: And who's the author? I'm sorry, who's the author?
Speaker 2: Shelley Cashman? I'm sorry, Gary B. Shelley, Thomas J. Cashman.
Speaker 1: And then there are three more Okay, so I'm just looking. I mean, obviously eBay is the place to look for this. So I'm looking on eBay and I see a couple of a couple of different books. Here. This looks like interesting, This looks like someone is selling like a copy of it maybe. But here's the thing. The bottom line is nobody needs this anymore. There is no need for this book. So that kind of limits its value because the only person that would want this is someone that's interested in the nostalgia factor or a collection factor. So a couple of things you can do with this number. One, go on eBay and type in the name exactly as you see it, and kind of get an idea of if people are selling this if they're not. If you want to sell it on there, go ahead, name a price or just let people bit it up. Start at ninety nine cents to what happens. But it's one of these things where it's it's this is a very small group of people that may want something like this. Now that doesn't mean that it doesn't have value, but you'll find out on eBay if it does have value. Second thing is you can donate it to someone, maybe like a computer museum, or something like that if they want it. But really, Manny, I think that this main thing is that just go on eBay. eBay's your friend with this, and you know, a Google search, and just see if anyone else is selling this, see if there is any value in this. That's the best way of figuring it out. You know, I've got too much stuff already. I don't need any I want less stuff because I do keep a small amount of tech that I think in the future might be interesting. But at the same time, it's you know, this kind of stuff like a book, a book on how to use word perfect is just really probably I can't imagine many people would still want something like that. Sadly, now if it was like an old Blockbuster card maybe, like those are the kind of things that you know, people may find interesting. But good question. Thanks for the question today, Manny and Covina eBay, Oh my gosh. When eBay first came out, they call it the perfect Store, and it really is because if someone wants what you are selling, I mean, really, two people have to want what you're selling for it to be valuable. If only one person wants it, it's not really valuable. But if two people want it and they bit it up. It can become very valuable. So eBay is are really really to me such an amazing site. When it first came out, it just kind of blew my mind because I said, this is incredible. Like you put something on on a groad sale, you know, at a groad sale in front of your house. The only people that can possibly want that is someone who drives by and sees that product. But eBay is worldwide, everyone has the opportunity to buy it. Thanks for the question. Eight eight eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Netflix getting into live sports with an NFL deal. So NFL is partnering with the NFL for uh or sorry. Netflix is partnering with the NFL for a three season deal, getting into sports streaming live two Christmas Day games this year, so this is a big deal. They haven't announced what games these are going to be, but as we know, the NFL is really making a lot of money off of selling their games to these different streaming services. Peacock had won last year. We know that Amazon got Thursday Night Football and this is just going to continue. I was looking up to see what we need to watch NFL this season and it's just all over the place. What NFL has not done is their own streaming service, which would just be bananas. If you could just pay a one time fee and get every game no matter what, that would be incredible. But we are going to see uh two games, two games on Christmas Day on Netflix. I'm here for it, and I think we're just going to continue to see more on Netflix when it comes to live events and live sports, something they really shied away from when Netflix first started. They said, why would we ever need to be like traditional TV? Why would we ever need to be like a traditional broadcaster? And the answer is those games when they are played live, are very valuable to advertisers. Netflix will make a lot of money on this deal. Eighty to eight Rich one on one eight eight seven four to two four one zero one coming up, I'll tell you why Twitter is no more. You're listening to Rich on tap. Let's go to Mark in San Diego. Mark, You're on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much. I'm learning a lot with your show and I appreciate what you do. Thank you A quick question. My current situation is I have at and T DFL internet and that's that's okay. If I mentioned names.
Speaker 1: Oh sure.
Speaker 3: And then I also have an old school landline. We've had the number in our family forever endeavor. So I'm paying on both of those and they just keep moving my internet rate up and up and up. So they're now.
Speaker 1: Pushing the Hey, a major company continues to raise prices on you. Yeah, no way, I can't believe that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna go. I get eighteen megabytes per second and I'm going to be paying ninety dollars a month just for.
Speaker 1: The Internet for eighteen eighteen down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: Got to dump that. Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they offered me, you know, they're like, hey, we've got this new Internet Air thing in your area. So one, what are your thoughts on Internet Air?
Speaker 4: Two?
Speaker 3: I currently have a cell phone that's AT and T and then I'm thinking about converting my landline from a landline and going to a different carrier like maybe Mint Mobile or T Mobile someone else and just let it take over my landline number.
Speaker 1: And what do you need to land on?
Speaker 3: How do you like AT and T Internet Air?
Speaker 5: Two?
Speaker 3: Is it smart going to two different carriers for cell phones?
Speaker 1: Okay, well, so the first question is, uh, so you have AT and T on your smartphone already, right, yes, okay, so the question is how is the speed on your smartphone? Have you done a speed test?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not, I don't. Do you mean like using it as a hotspot?
Speaker 1: Well, just going to like if you go to a website like fast dot com on your phone, see how fast that is, because that's going to be a pretty good indication of how how fast this Internet air is going to be. Yeah, because you already have AT and T. Now I will tell you that the antenna inside the Internet air box is obviously going to be a little bit more powerful than what's on your phone, but it gives you an idea. If you're getting five down, you're not going to get much more on the Internet air If you're getting one hundred down, then that's pretty good. Interesting now, so that's my number one suggestion. I would also look in the upper right hand corner of your phone and see what kind of signal you have? What what type of phone do you have? Is it newer or do you have like five G Yeah, well.
Speaker 3: It's a couple of year old Pixel four A, yeah, Google Pixel four A. But it's been a great little phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh no, I love. I've been testing the Pixel eight a actually, and for five hundred bucks it's a great little phone, even though I know it'll be sold for cheaper, so don't buy it for five hundred Okay, So that's number one. So here's what what what AT and T is doing with Internet air. They're making that available in places where they don't have fiber internet. So in places like where you are, where DSL, they want to get people off the DSL because it's expensive and you know, to maintain and all that stuff. They would rather have people using their cellular network that's already in the area. So that's where they're activating AT and T air. So it's not in many places right now, but where it is, and they're they're probably offering a decent price as well. I have no problem with switching to it. Have you checked the other internet service providers in your area, like a Spectrum or cocks or whoever else services your area. Have you checked to c because if you're switching, you know, you might get a pretty good deal for the first two years or so on them as well.
Speaker 3: And I'm glad you brought that up because I just started looking into that obviously when I went to AT and T to try to negotiate a deal. They're like, oh, no, you know, we'll offer you this, you know, for fifty five bucks a month, you get the Internet air and that's it. They weren't willing to negotiating.
Speaker 1: No, they don't. They don't negotiate on the home Internet. None of them do. They're not. That's like kind of the new thing. In fact, AT and T is not really negotiating at all anymore on their home Internet. The thing that's non negotiable is the price increases like clockwork every year or so, my no mind does. But the website that I'd recommend to see what else is in your area speed test dot net. They have what's called a speed test performance site, and so you type in your zip code and it will tell you the different providers in your area and also the speeds that people are getting with those providers. So, for instance, if I type in a zip code in Los Angeles near where I am, you can see the different providers and what they're getting. Now. AT and T Internet Air is not there, but they do have kind of the T Mobile Internet. They've got a couple other providers that they do have speed tests for so I'd recommend looking at that as well. And I think that was your first question. The second question was the switching to the Mint mobile or whatever.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's kind of why I kept my landline all this time. If one network went down, I was had the other one as a backup. But like if I go with maybe a T Mobile and stay with AT and T or a Mint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the other The only issue with that, if you are going to switch to internet air, they probably give you the best price if you're also on their cell phone network as well? Is that not the case?
Speaker 3: Gotcha?
Speaker 1: So that would be my only consideration. But I will tell you I recently switched my wife to one of the mv and o's because my bill for her just kept going up and she doesn't use a lot of data, and it just it was like ninety bucks a month, and I switched to one that was like forty five a month unlimited. And it's you know, I've been asking her like every day, like, hey, do you notice any difference in your service? And she's like, no, not really. So you know, I have no problem with switching to save money, especially if you don't use that much data, but maybe maybe do one thing at a time, you know, like maybe you know, jump off onto the internet air first, you know, wait a couple of months, and then if you want to switch your your cell phone provider, you can do that as well.
Speaker 3: Gotcha, gotcha? Okay, yeah, that's a great tip. Fast dot com and speed test dot net.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, check it out.
Speaker 3: Perfect, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All right, Mark, appreciate the call. Thank you all right. Uh eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two zero one. I mentioned that Twitter is going bye bye, and yeah, that's true. It's a little bit of a tease, but yes, Twitter has completed their rebranding to x dot com. If you use Twitter on a daily basis, you notice that half the time you would go to the website, it would be a Twitter address in the URL, and so you'd be like, well, wait a second, I thought this switch to X dot com. But this week Twitter has finally transitioned fully to x dot com. All core systems and all the URLs have now been moved to x dot com. And that means that the Twitter handle and the bluebird logo are gone. They are now just a memory, a memory for all of us that remember the failwal Do you remember the fail well, no, Adam's in for Bobo today doesn't remember the fail Well. That was when Twitter first started. It would always just it would always crash, and it would because too many people were using it, and it would go to this failwale that was like a I think it was like an upside down whale and it was just, you know, it was like kind of cute. It just you know, that meant Twitter was down. But this is now fully done and uh, yes, there's no So let me see if I go to Twitter dot com slash rich on tech and uh wait, yep, there it is x dot com. Oh it did change x dot com slash rich on tech. There you go. Anyway, you can follow me there and join the fun.
Speaker 6: And uh.
Speaker 1: Microsoft's free PC optimizer got a new version this week, so PC manager. If you want to free upspace on your Windows machine if you have Windows ten or Windows eleven, Microsoft has launched a new version of its free Windows tuning tool called PC Manager. The main thing you can do with this is the files cleanup toool. This can help you free up storage on your hard drive by cleaning up any downloaded files, and it can also search for large files and remove duplicates. Now, before you say, oh, I've been looking for a duplicates manager, I'm not sure this is one hundred percent for finding all those duplicate photos, but it will help you in the process of finding those duplicate files. You can say if you want to do the downloaded files, the large files, or the duplicate files. This is kind of an alternative to the mainstay, which is C Cleaner. I know that I feel like that has mixed reviews online. Some people love it, some people don't like it. But a lot of people when they're trying to speed up their system clear out stuff, they download anything they find on the internet to help them. Be careful when you do that. Not all programs are treated equally. But this is a program that is put out by Microsoft. You can find it in the Microsoft Store. Again, it is called PC Manager. I'll put a link on the show notes as well. But this is only for Windows ten or Windows eleven, but new version this week. If you want to clean up your hard drive remove some of the stuff that's in there. It also removes temporary files and clears out the Windows Update cash. So there it is PC Manager eighty eight. Rich one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Still coming up. I'm gonna tell you about the latest accessibility features that are coming to Samsung, that are coming to Apple and coming to Google. It was a Global Accessibility Awareness Day this week, so we got a lot of new updates. Eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. My name is rich Damiro. You are listening to Rich on tech Welcome back to the show the website rich on tech dot TV. While you're there, sign up for my newsletter. There is a brand new newsletter that went out today. So if you like learning about the latest helpful apps, the latest tech news, the stories that I do on TV, and anything else that I find interesting throughout the week, sign up. If you don't like to expand your knowledge, do not sign up. But I'm telling you it's a fun, easy read, and it's just something that I really every week. I look forward to writing it because I throughout the week, whenever I come across something that's interesting, I just go, oh, I gotta put that in the newsletter. And I just keep a list and then and then I write the newsletter and send it out and it's just I feel like it's just chuck full of good information. So Rich on tech dot TV and just go sign up. It is free. Let's go to Kathy in Orange County, California. Kathy, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 7: Hi, thanks for taking my call. I have a Sansung Galaxy twenty three and I just downloaded like the one I U six point one or something. Ye, yes, yeah, that one. So now when I text, it's the voice texting is gone, the microphone to voice text is gone. All there is is the ability to record a text message and send it.
Speaker 1: Okay, what what app are you using for your for your keyboard? Do you know?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 1: So do you have your phone with you?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay, you got to go into settings, okay, and we're going to go into keyboard so you can just search for keyboard. Let's see keyboard so general management. So if you go into general management, okay.
Speaker 7: I think it's Samsung.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if it's a Samsung keyboard, you probably just have to re enable it. So if you go in there where it says keyboard list and default does it so it says Samsung keyboard. And then if you go in there let's see here, I'm looking for the uh yeah, so voice typing? Do you have voice typing? Is it toggled on or off?
Speaker 7: I don't see voice typing?
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you go into your Samsung keyboard under keyboard list in de fall right, I mean I'm looking at mine right now, says Samsung Keyboard, and then it says for me, I haven't selected as Google voice typing because I like Google to be on there, so it doesn't show you that on there. Huh. Now okay, so what if we let's see, let me try a different ways. Let's say we go into the keyboard and okay, so in the lower when you go to your app, when the lower left hand corner, there's no little voice, there's no little keyboard microphone icon, no interesting okay, gone. Now, so now when you go into your keyboard, so go into like a text message. Okay, okay. Now now up at the top, do you see the first thing on the left hand side is like a little AI kind of like toggle like two little stars.
Speaker 7: Uh Like, there's like a little camera. There's a phone, and then three.
Speaker 1: Dots a camera and a phone and three dots. Hmmm, what so you're looking at the keyboard and you see do you see a number row at the top?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, So above the number road, do you see like a little gear icon, a little what like a little looks like a little gear Oh yeah, okay, so tap that okay, okay, Now that should bring you into Samsung keyboard.
Speaker 2: Right, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Now scroll all the way down, okay, to where it says voice input. Oh yeah, okay. Now do you have yours? Probably says none, Select Samsung or Google.
Speaker 7: It's it's Samsung voice Inputright select Google voice tyking.
Speaker 1: You can if you want, but you can just do I mean, Samsung works as well. But you can try toggling it to Google and maybe that'll bring it up. Okay, okay, now you did that.
Speaker 3: Oh it won't let me.
Speaker 7: Oh it's like great and it won't allow me to interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you go back to the one before, do you have your your voice? Okay? The bottom line is you got to you gotta turn on voice typing again. So the only thing I can think of is perhaps you have taken away some sort of permission for your keyboard that does not allow it to use the voice the microphone anymore so the other thing you can do is go into your settings if this doesn't work, and go into your permissions. And so if you go into your permissions, you can see your keyboard and it will show you if it has permission to use the the microphone, and if it somehow toggled that permission off, that may be why you can no longer access the microphone. But the two things you need to know is just go. You gotta you gotta really look through those settings and look for that that keyboard or the voice setting and make sure you can turn that on. If you can't, then I would say you have to go into your permissions and see if you can set that on. The only other thing I would I would say you can do is when you're in your Samsung keyboard settings, you can click reset to default settings, and that might that might switch everything back on. Like the first time you open up your keyboard, it may then show you the I'm gonna do reset keyboard settings. And then the first time that you open up that Samsung keyboard again and it may ask you if you want to use the voice input, but I'm tapping it and I've got the I've got the one UI six point one right on there and I am seeing it, so it's not it has not gone away. It is just somehow deactivated on your device. But you do have to just kind of look through those settings and anything you see that has voice, make sure it's toggled on and make sure that you are allowing that permissions to access the microphone because that might have been toggled off in the process. Email me, Kathy, please with the update, because I don't want to go through the whole system right now, because you know, obviously we have limited time. But that is where you'll find it. Thanks for the question. Today we got an email question. Let's see here. Kate says he's traveling to the UK and I would like to know the best apps for getting ride shares and taxis, finding a self guided walking tour of a city and its major sites, and the best Beatles tour in Liverpool. And thanks already for wiki voyage. It is a fantastic overview site, although the info is kind of twenty twenty one is so I hope they keep it current. Thank you, Kate. Kate, it's funny you say this. They're actually adding in this travel itinerary like this exact question. You'll be able to ask Google very soon, and so just in time for summer planning, they're going to do this new AI trip itinerary thing which is going to be game changing. But until then, two things that I would recommend. Number one, brand new website called mind trip dot Ai. Mind trip dot Ai, I pasted your question in there and it tells me that for ride shares and taxis, you want to use Uber or free Now, and I will tell you my experience. Free Now was what I use when I went to Europe, and it's what I recommend to everyone. It's a little bit more popular, but it's much more taxi oriented, whereas Uber is you know obviously Uber. And then it tells for self guiding walking tours Rick Steves pocket Guide and then regarding the best Beatles tour in Liverpool, it also has that information as well. Uh. The other thing I would recommend is guide geek dot Ai. Guide geek dot Ai. Paste your question into there and it should give you those answers. But this is the sort of thing that AI is just built for. And these two new products, both mind trip dot ai and guide geek dot ai, are excellent at coming up with these complex answers. Check them out. I'll put links in the show note show notes rich on Tech dot TV. But this is the kind of stuff that AI can really really help you for. Of course, you always want to cross reference and make sure that the stuff they recommend is still the best recommendations. More rich on Tech come your way. Coming up, i'll talk about the new accessibility features coming soon. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one, the website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. Before the break, we had Kathy call in and she was perplexed because she could not find the voice typing input on her Samsung phone. Get a lot of emails, a lot of phone calls, Scott and Anaheim, you have the answer.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 10: When the UI update came on to the Samsung twenty three, originally the speak to text microphone was in the bar across the top of the keyboard. They moved the microphone icon and made it a lot smaller and put it in the bottom left corner of the screen. And I think that's that's the problem. A lot of my coworkers have had as well. They just couldn't find it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just I got about a dozen responses on Twitter and email people all saying the same thing. They moved it to the lower left hand corner. Now here's the funny thing, Scott. You know, like I don't use the Samsung keyboard, I use g board, so I you know, my microphone is up in the upper right hand corner. But it's funny. When I first opened the keyboard, I said, well, there it is right there at the bottom. Like I found it in about two seconds. But maybe I understand if you're looking in the same place over and over and they change it, you're not good at Maybe you're just not looking in the lower left hand corner.
Speaker 4: So that.
Speaker 1: But she also said that something was great out which made it seem like maybe something else changed. But hopefully that's the deal. But thanks for the call, Scott, appreciate it. But yes, if you're looking for the you know, if you're looking on the update, you just got the new update on the Samsung phone. The voice to text is now in the lower left hand corner. Coming up this hour, C Scott Brown is going to join us. He is senior editor at Android Authority. He's going to discuss all of the changes coming to Android. Yes, one thing is inevitable in the tech world. There will be lots of changes. That's kind of how it goes, all right. So this week was Global Accessibility the Awareness Day, and so all of the major companies, Apple, Google, Samsung, they all came out with updates about what they're doing to make their phones more accessible to more people. And so Google has a whole bunch of stuff that they are doing, and let me go through theirs first, and I'll do Apple, then I'll do Samsung. So Google is improving Lookout. Lookout helps people with blindness and low vision use their phone's camera to get more information about the world around them. Now they're providing a way to find specific objects, so you can select from categories like seating, tables, bathrooms, and when you move your camera around, Lookout will notify you in the direction and the distance to the item. Then they're also doing a text free mode to communicate using look to Speak, so you can select pre written customizable phrases with your eyes and have them spoken aloud. So starting today you've got a text free mode. You can also select and personalized emoji symbols and photos to activate speech. So this new feature, they say, is to make communicating more accessible to people with cognitive differences, literacy challenges, and language barriers. So you can literally look at an emoji and it will speak that. Let's see what else. Then they've got a hands free cursor for Android developers. So starting this week, developers can access Project Game Phase, which is going to mean that they can move a cursor around on the screen. Let's see open face. Oh wow, that's interesting, a hands free cursor. Okay, So yeah, Google, Apple's doing something very similar in Google Maps. You can get more detailed voice guidance for blind or low vision users. That's available globally on Android and iOS. And then let's see what else. Accessibility information. More than fifty million places are marked with accessibility details. That is expanding to desktop. So that was on mobile, now you can get that on desktop and I always do that.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: They made a big push a couple of years ago to have people like myself that fill in information on Google Maps to tell if there is accessibility entrances at places, like wheelchair accessible entrances, and I try to always help with that. Okay, so what else Apple, They've got a whole bunch of things. Their most notable is IE tracking, so they are introducing hands free I tracking on the iPad and the iPhone, so people can only use their eyes. So this is for people obviously with physical disabilities. They will be able to control their iPad or iPhone using just their eyes just by looking at stuff on the screen. So the front facing camera notices where their eyes are looking, and it uses AI to kind of figure out when they stop on something and hover that will select or they can swipe things. So this is a pretty pretty amazing paradigm shift for the use of the iPad or the iPhone for someone with a disability, because that means that they can now control this device without any additional hardware or software. It's all built into the operating system that's coming later this year. Music Haptics they're also introducing allows deaf or heart of hearing users to experience music through iPhones Tactic Engine that will integrate with Apple Music and then third party apps with They can also tap into that as well. Vocal Shortcuts users can create customs sounds to perform tasks, and then they also have vehicle motion cues. So if you're the type of person that gets car sick when you're looking at your smartphone, they now have this new system that uses animated dots to help your brain kind of like understand that the cars in motion, and I guess that helps you with motion sickness. Let's see. There's also car Play updates, Vision OS enhancements. That's you know with the with the their VR headset. Not many people have that. Let's see now when it comes to Samsung, this is something you can already access now it is live. I checked forward on my phone. It's called re relumina. How do you say this Relumineo mode. And this was initially introduced on TVs to help people with vision impairments. Now it's coming to Samsung's smartphones they say, select Samsung Galaxy smartphones. So this was a feature for smart TVs. It enhances the visuals for low vision. So this improves visibility by outlining objects, enhancing contrast, adjusting brightness, and sharpening images, making content clearer for people with vision impairments. So this was originally shown off. I remember this at CS twenty twenty three, and they showed it off again at Samsung CS twenty twenty four, but now it's available on your Samsung phone. So my recommendation if you have any sort of accessibility issues, go into the settings on your phone and go into the accessibility because there are so many features available to you these days compared to just a couple of years ago on the iPhone, on Samsung, on Google, on Android, and there's just so many little features that you can tap into and activate. So I would definitely recommend doing that because they continue to update these things. Again the website, rich on tech dot TV, I'll link up everything that I just mentioned. Let's go to Angie in Los Angeles. Angie, how are you doing today? Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Hi, thank you for taking my call. I love your show.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 4: I'm looking for just give you a little bit of background. This is for a person who's in their early eighties picking out a phone. They had that keyboard flip phone for a while, loved it. They stopped making it. They told them told her that she needed to upgrade to a smartphone. So now she's using a motor role up motorall was seven to be specific, and now wants to replace this phone. But looking for something and hearing your intro about the all the you know, adaptive uh features on a lot of new phones. Sounds great. She does have hearing issues, but no real vision problems other than readers, and wants something very simple, doesn't use the internet. Loved the keyboard that was on the previous older phone.
Speaker 1: But you mean had a physical keyboard or keypad.
Speaker 4: No, it had a physical It was like a keep had the flip phone with the little keypad and you just punched the you know.
Speaker 8: It was like.
Speaker 4: Looked similar to one of the ones you profiled on qtl A one time where they had an actual physical keypad. And I forgot the brand the name of that phone. I know that you profiled at a one of your segment's song a TLA. But she's just kind of looking.
Speaker 1: For something simple, something really simple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the Motorolas. I'm looking at some of the newer Motorolas and they really don't get good reviews. But the phone is really hard to I mean for an iPhone user myself, who previously had a Samsum and came from an android's family, I find her phone very cumbersome to use for real person, Yeah, I mean the steps she has to go through to delete a phone number is, you know, kind of ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, a couple a couple of resources. Number one, there's a website called dumb Wireless. I talked about them on KTLA and we showed a couple of phones. So that may give you some ideas for phones. Like I'm looking at this punk phone p U n k T. I don't know how they say it, but that looks like it'd be really simple. It has the physical buttons. It doesn't have a full keyboard, but it's got the you know, main number dial keys and all that stuff. So that may be a place to kind of just get some ideas for things. That's the first place i'd look. At the c SUN conference, I also showed off this phone company called blind Shell blind Shell, and that is a phone that's very very simple. It speaks everything. It's primarily made for low vision users. But I asked the people and I said, can't anyone that kind of like just wants a really simple smartphone use this? And they said, yeah, absolutely. But the problem with that phone is it's a little expensive, so it may be more expensive than you want to spend on a smartphone. The other thing is that Samsung actually has what's called easy Mode on all of their smartphones. And when you activate easy Mode, it's like really simple. All the buttons, all the icons, everything becomes bigger. It gets rid of all the nonsense and all the extra functions and stuff. It kind of puts them like a step back, so you don't need to worry about all those But that is a great way to just make any Samsung phone very simple. And it's called easy Mode. So if you go to settings display and just hit easy Mode, it really does a lot of things. So what it does is it makes bigger on screen items, a longer touch and whold delay to prevent accidental actions. That's a huge issue with especially some folks that are using their phones high contrast keyboard for better readability. And it's just a much easier way to use your smartphone. And that you could just get the basic Samsung S twenty four, even the S twenty three from last year, the standard one and put it into easy Mode, and then that will be a lot easier for her to use. So I think that those are some good resources to look for, and you know, one of those should probably help maybe replace the phone that she's got. Now. Thanks for the call appreciate it, Angie rich On Tech Rich DeMuro here eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one coming up. I'll tell you what's new in Iowa U seventeen point five. Wow, A lot of new stuff this week. You are listening to rich on Tech. I know I mentioned a lot of resources on this show. I know it's a lot, but it's all on the website rich on tech dot tv. When you get there. If you're listening live, you can hit the lightbulb icon. If you're listening later, you can just scroll down to the section where it says podcasts and you can find show notes for every one of the shows that we do here. It actually just says podcast It is no s on the end there, so you'll see all of the shows. You can listen to them. You can search the transcript, which is my absolute favorite feature. It is so cool. If you hit transcript and you search for something, you're like, I know Rich said something about a dumb phone. You type in dumb and it will bring you right to the section of the show where I mentioned the word dumb, and then it will also play that exact audio. So it's all synced up. It is such a cool feature. Again, Rich on tech dot TV when in your Belinda rode In says, iPad, iPad Air, iPad ten or MacBook Air M one which one to go for general browsing. Hmmm. We just went to the Apple Store yesterday to check out the iPad air and the iPad ten. iPad ten is getting a little old, but it's a good price. Three point fifty. I'd wait for that price to come down to about three hundred before I bought it. MacBook Air is about six ninety nine. That's a little bit older the M one model, and then the iPad air five. I think they're up to the six that might be the last model. iPad air is gonna be the most expensive, But it kind of depends you're saying general browsing. Any of these are gonna work. They're all gonna work good for Netflix for you know, if you're traveling, I'd go with the iPad and if you're staying stationary, I go like, if you're trying to do work as well, then I'd go with the mac book care Hm, which one would I pick? I'd probably go with the the iPad Air because it's the newest out of these, and I think that you're gonna get the most use out of that. It's gonna be a little bit more expensive, but I think that it'll be a little bit faster, a little bit better than these other options because it has the new M two chip. So that's probably what i'd go for. Yeah, that's what I do. My kid, by the way, was like I couldn't believe how expensive the iPad was last night. He was like, wait, what this thing is like six hundred and ninety nine dollars for the iPad. He was really rethinking then that the new one is much more expensive. Let's see trying to see what version the iPad is at this point. It doesn't Yeah, Apple is not good about that. Let's go to Rick in Torrents. Rick, Rick, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 6: Rich. Let me get you off speaker.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, got you.
Speaker 6: I'm sixty nine years old and I've started to have a little bit of heart issues, and I decided I want a smart watch. But it seems like ninety percent of the smart watch is focus more on people that are doing sports than your health. I was wondering if you know which smart watch has the most as far as monitoring your health.
Speaker 1: What brand phone do you have because that makes a difference.
Speaker 6: Well, I've got a Google Pixel eight and I actually just got the pixel Watch too last week. Oh okay, and I'm wondering if there's one that's going to give me more medical information than this one does.
Speaker 1: I think the pixel Watch is. The pixel Watch two specifically, is pretty good. They've got the heart rate notifications and they're also taking your heart rate at a much shorter interval, so they're taking it much more often than some of the other smart watches out there, which is you know, that's actually very handy if you are trying to monitor your heart So. Plus you've got fitbit, They've got Ai coming soon, so you're gonna be able to ask it all kinds of questions about your health. I think you've got a good watch there. I think that that's probably gonna be the best bet. Make sure you go through the app and set up the uh all of the heart rate notifications, so for high, for low, the fall, all that stuff. Just make sure you go through every single setting in the app and make sure all those things are toggled on, because they may not have been toggled on the first time you set them up. But Rick, I think you got a good watch there. Pixel Watch two has exactly what you need there. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, we're gonna talk new Android features. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. Joining me now, C Scott Brown, Senior editor at Android Authority. He was at Google Io along with myself, So we are going to discuss all of the Android developments at the conference this year. Scott, thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 11: Thank you very much. It's a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: So the last caller was asking about the pixel Watch. I know that you wear a pixel Watch. I was saying, you know, do you like it? Do you think it's good for the heart rate stuff? And your answer was you like it?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I love it. I came from the Fitbit Sense, which came out I think like three or four years ago now, and I kept holding on to the Sense because there was nothing that had all the features of the Sense and you know that was available, Like the Sense did everything, and so the pixel Watch too is now the only thing that actually does everything the original Sense did, with the downside being battery life. The battery life is not as good on the pixel watch Too as it is on the Sense, but it has a lot more features and it looks better. It looks more like a regular watch and stuff. So yeah, so I love it.
Speaker 1: And apparently with one of the announcements was that they're making war os, I guess better battery efficiency, so maybe the battery life will get better on that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm hoping.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about some of the things. First off, you just your general impression of Google Io twenty twenty four in general, what was your takeaway?
Speaker 12: It was a very different Io for a few reasons. The biggest one that I noticed was there was no hardware. Not one piece of hardware was announced, and that's not like Io. Usually they announced at least something. In the past, it's been the you know, the new A series Pixel, but they launched that a week before Io this year, and they've also teased hardware. They teased the Pixel tablet one year. They've done a lot of things like that and this just isn't just not this time. So I would noticed that first off. And then number two, it really felt like Google was trying to speak to its shareholders more than speaking to the general public. I feel like Google was trying to say to its shareholders, Hey, we know we're under threat right now from a bunch of different companies, but don't worry.
Speaker 11: We got this. That's what I felt like the whole show was like.
Speaker 1: And it didn't feel that reassuring because you know, they had the open AI thing right before Google I owe, and it's like Google, give us some like like I feel like with every show you have to have something like tangible that people can do like that day, Like the takeaway is like, Okay, you can go to your you know, Google dot com and do this and it's really cool. But we did see a lot of neat things. Let's talk about Android. So first off, one of the new features is private Space. Now, if you have a Samsung, you may be familiar with this concept of like what do they call like secure folder or something, but this explained this feature private space.
Speaker 12: So it it's a space where you can put apps that need an extra layer of security. So let's just say that you know someone who's shoulder surfed you. Shoulder surfing is when someone looks over your shoulder and is able to figure out your passcode because they've watched you enter it a number of times. So somebody grabs your phone, they know your passcode, they enter your passcode, and then they have full access.
Speaker 11: To your higher phone. They can do anything.
Speaker 12: And with private space in Android fifteen, what's going to happen is is that there will be some apps that will be behind this private space locker and they'll need a different pass code to get into there. So it adds this extra layer protection to prevent somebody from being able to access, for example, your banking app, or maybe a app that has private health information or your photos, whatever the case may be. It's a way to make it so that they can't get into it, even if they get.
Speaker 11: Into your main phone.
Speaker 12: And what's really cool about this feature is that there's going to be what I'm calling a nuke button where you can hit a button in settings and it will immediately erase your entire private space.
Speaker 11: So all the apps in there are just gone, oh wow.
Speaker 12: That's an extra cool layer of protection that they'll put in there, so you know, if somebody rushes into your home or breaking into you or whatever whatever's happening, you can immediately hit this button delete all your important stuff and then don't have to worry about that getting with the wrong hands.
Speaker 1: And I imagine that also maybe for like if you're at the border and they want to, you know, confiscate your phone if you're let's say you're a journalist or something. I don't know. I mean, there's so many like different ways of looking at this. Some people may just want to hide some like you know, some apps if they hand their phone to their kids that they don't want their kids to have access.
Speaker 10: I mean.
Speaker 1: There's the nice thing is that this is available and it will be an Android feature, So that's really cool. Now, this theft detection lock is a really interesting feature because we've heard so much about how people snatch phones out of people's hands on like busy city streets and they catch them kind of like with the phone unlocked. And so again, explain how this feature is going to work.
Speaker 11: So this one is really cool. This was really exciting.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So if you're walking down a city street, you're on your phone, you're texting whatever. Somebody who rushes up behind you, grabs your phone in your hands and runs off.
Speaker 11: Your phone is probably unlocked.
Speaker 12: It is probably open to something, you know, whether it be a messaging app or maybe your photos or camera or whatever. And now for the next you know, let's just say be to be to be fair, let's make thirty minutes. The next thirty minutes this person has access to your phone because by the time you get to a place where you can remotely lock your phone, they have thirty minutes to do whatever they want. And so what this step protection lock will do is that it'll sense that your phone has been grabbed and run off with It'll use the sensors inside the phone to determine that the phone has been nabbed and then quickly sped somewhere else away from you, and then it'll just automatically lock down, making it so you have that time to go to your computer or your tablet and remotely wipe and lock your phone to do anything with it. Honestly, they'll still have your phone. You know, you can't get your phone back that way. But at the same time, you don't have to worry about them, you know, for example, messaging your mom and saying, hey, Mom, I'm in real mind, I need you to wire ten thousand dollars to this bitcoin address. You know, like that's something that could potentially happen if somebody had access to your phone for once again just that thirty minute window. So this is a really cool protection that I think is going to be something that people are really going to appreciate, especially if they travel a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and kind of building upon that, you're also going to be able to lock your phone now from a third like any device, by going to like Android dot com sash slash lock. That's not live just yet, but you will be able to do that, cause like the idea is that you're with a friend maybe and you go, oh, shoot, my phone just got taken, like hurry up, give me your phone, let me lock my phone, And so you can also do that. And then the other thing they're doing is what what iPhone has had for many many years is this idea of an activation lock where even if they wipe your phone clean, they will not be able to activate that phone on or a new account if it's still linked your Google account. Is that my understanding, Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 12: That's basically just borrowed from from iOS. Yeah, and that's a bit of a double edged sword because it does it makes selling your phone a little more difficult, Like you have to go through a lot more steps to make sure that you know the person that you sold your phone to will actually be able to access it adetic password. So that's a bit of an inconvenience that people who sell their phones a lot are going to face. But in the broad scheme of things, I feel like it'll do more benefit than anything else.
Speaker 1: So anything else that they announced that really was interesting to you, anything else you want to talk about that was you know, made public.
Speaker 12: As it pertains to Android, I was excited to see that Android fifteen is getting more beta's released to other devices, other manufacturers, you know. For the past since February, basically anyone with a pixel phone, a recent thing phone has been able to try out Android fifteen at its various stages of development and all that. But up until I own, anyone with a non pixel phone didn't have that option. And now there's a lot more manufacturers with their own betas out. So if you have a phone from one plus, show me nothing. Bunch of other Android manufacturers, you can now give Android fifteen a shot, assuming that you have a recent phone.
Speaker 11: It's only available for the recent flagships.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and then I would expect maybe in the next month or two we'll start seeing Samsung having its own beta, so that'll be really exciting too.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, with the notable exception being Samsung, because they have such a different system on their phones that it's not easily like half the stuff that comes out, and Android has already been on Samsung before it makes its way to Android, which is kind of ironic. All right, We're going to leave it there. See Scott Brown, how can folks find you online?
Speaker 12: So my preferred method is Instagram, which is c dot Scott Brown Instagram. And then also I'm also on threads, so if you find my Instagram, you can just connect to my threads. I'm not on Twitter anymore or x or whatever it is nowadays. I love there, but yeah, Instagram and threads are are the best place to get old me.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go, see Scott Brown, Senior editor at Android Authority. Thanks so much for joining me today. Appreciate that eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show Richontech dot tv. Switching Gears coming up. We just talked to Android. Now we'll talk about iOS seventeen point five. I'll tell you some of the new things available, including a new game you can play on your phone. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you have a question about technology, give me a call. The The website is rich on Tech dot tv. Just got an email from Hugo. We've been going back and forth about the Sonos app. Soos recently updated their app, and I'm telling you, I've never seen something ruin a piece of technology like this in my entire life. I've got Sons speakers in every room. Took me ten years to kind of build that collection up, and I love it because I always have something on and I love how you can group them and you know, listen to all the different services whatever you want. And this new app update, I think it came out in like May seventh. I can't even use my system anymore. It's horrible. I mean, really really bad. What do I say at the beginning of the show? I think that tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. It's certainly interesting. The changes that they've made for the worst useful, they get a big zero fun. It took all the fun out of listening to any music in my home. So let's see the email that they sent to him. He forwarded me this email that son No says they've received a great deal of feedback thus far on both the improvements made as well as where we fell short. They're working on going through it all in the coming weeks. There's more work that needs to be done on the sonosapp, and we want to provide an update. They already introduced a software update on the fourteenth. But I'm telling you, I'm ready to toss my system out. I can't even change a volume on this thing, it's that bad. So hopefully they will continue to refine and make my system useful again. I know if you have a son Nos you are probably feeling the same thing. The systems are there, it's just everything has been changed. I kind of feel like the woman who called in Kathy about the volume button being moved that's the way I feel at my sons. Let's go to Linda in Burbank. Linda, you're on with rich.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, I remember hearing U two three weeks ago a man calling in saying how they want to, you know, do away with the landlines. Yes, and you know in my situation about a couple that shoots a weeks ago? Yeah, no, months ago, my cell phone went out on me. It wasn't working and.
Speaker 4: I had to have my use by landline.
Speaker 8: To call my cell phone company. Now, if I didn't hear my landline, i'd be at the crank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely an issue. So you you have a landline in Bourbank Conley? Is still interesting? Okay? You know, so AT and T, who's the who's the company that provides the landline?
Speaker 8: AH and T?
Speaker 1: And how much do they charge you a month for that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 9: I don't recall right now, well I really don't.
Speaker 1: So the big issue here is that AT and T. Thanks for the call, Linda, pre siate it. The big issue is that AT and T in California wants to end its designation as what's called a cooler col R Carrier of Last Resort. What they're saying is that right now in these places that don't have an alternative to landlines, AT and T is the specified carrier of last resort and they have to maintain those lines until there is an alternative. And so they have petitioned the California Public Utilities Commission to say, look, can we just drop this whole carrier of last resort thing? We'd rather not keep these lines up and running because they're too expensive and we just don't feel like it. And actually, this week a judge at the California Public Utilities Commission is actually saying they recommend rejecting this AT and T request. The reason they said, there's no other carrier to replace AT and T there in its wireline territory. And they also went as far as saying that AT and T is going around saying that they have to maintain these outdated copper lines because of this ruling. California says, no, we don't have a rule that says you have to maintain these copper lines. What we do have a rule that says that you need to have some sort of way for these people to get in touch with other folks. You can replace these lines with fiber. You can replace them with something else. And so there's a little bit of a back and forth here with what the exact rules are. And so the reality is that, you know, and I understand Linda's you know, she's saying that if she didn't have her cell phone, she or her land lines, she wouldn't be able to call her carrier. The number one thing to know that if your phone is not working, no matter what in the US, you can use a cell phone to dial nine one one as long as that cell phone is operable, and even if it doesn't have a plan on it, if it can catch a signal, it will work on any of the major wireless carrier signals to dial nine one one. So in a true emergency, yes, you would be able to dial nine one one, even if your phone signal is you know, if your phone isn't connected whatever you know is having some sort of issue. Now, if if the signals are down, yes that'd be a problem. But if even if you don't have a phone like activated, it will still call nine one one. That's number one. Other countries don't have that rule. Number two. I understand the idea of these wirelines and people like them, and people like them for emergencies, but the idea that the cell phone is not as reliable maybe in certain places if you don't have a signal, Like sure, I understand that, and I'm not trying to say that there should be no requirement that you have to have some sort of carrier. That's why they're called a carrier of last resort because people living these areas don't have an alternative. What California is saying is that we don't really care what the alternative is, whether that's a voipe line, whether it's a cell phone line, whether it's an Internet line, like, but you need an alternative. You can't just have these people left high and dry without any way to dial their friends or family or emergencies. And so I understand, Linda's in a populated area in Burbank, So I understand that, you know, if you needed to, you can walk to your neighbor and get some help that way. But some people live in very rural areas that really don't have any alternative. The good news is we are seeing a lot of other options open up, something like a starlink, which is satellite based, which is really really good, and so we're just seeing more options. But again this idea of the landline is going away. It will go away eventually, and we are seeing more and more of these companies that provide landlines charge higher fees and also just try to get rid of them for all of those reasons. Ah okay, what else? Eighty to a bridge one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one is the website. If you like what I do on the radio show here, I suggest that you check out the website because I do have more information on there about what I mentioned here. I've got my newsletter. Let's see what I mentioned in the newsletter this week. A couple things that I think are interesting. I talk about the AI wars. Obviously, I have all the stories that I did for TV, so you can watch my video from Google Open AI. I talk about how to handle data breaches. I look at some the one my wife watched this morning. I have the whole newsletter. The one she watches is the high Tech cat Accessories. She got a kick out of seeing that I've got the tech tidbits. So I talk about the best way to send a fact. I know you don't have to send a fact very often, but my favorite service dropbox facts did win Wirecutters test of the best fact services, and it is free if you're only sending a few a month. Answer a question about how to scan your photos. I talk about the best photo scanners if you want to do it yourself or send it out. So it's all the website. Rich on Tech dot TV more rich on Tech coming your way right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro coming your way for another hour at eight eight eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one coming up this hour. We're talking to Jenny Blackburn. She is with Google in charge of Gemini and uh, she's gonna explain basically how to use Google Gemini's AI assistant. You've heard of chat GPT. This is Google's answer to chat GBT. It is quite helpful. It has one key advantage and that is, of course the depth and breadth breadth. How do you say that word breadth bread You got to put the D in there. I guess of Google knowledge and so it does have like real time information and it's it's pretty good. It's just very different than Open AI. She's gonna explain about that. I was talking about the pixel eight a earlier. If you want to see some of the pictures I captured on it. This is Google's brand new four hundred and ninety nine dollars smartphone. I've got it right here. It is a great size. It's really small and like compact, so if you like a smaller phone, it's really nice for that. It is. It's you know, it's just very googly. So the software is really clean, it's very simple. And the cameras I would say the camera is good. I wouldn't say it's excellent. I think for point and shoot, like everyday pictures, they're gonna look really good. But if you want to see some of the pictures that I took on them, you can go to my Instagram at rich on Tech. Check out the Instagram stories. That's where I posted. Last night. We went to the movies. We saw that movie If and No, that's the whole movie name If, and we took some pictures and so you can kind of see, like what the camera looks like. I think it's very good for four hundred and ninety nine dollars, and it's going to be even cheaper. I'm expecting, you know, when it goes on sale or discounted. I think that's a great, great device, especially the clean software for Android. Usually the cheaper you go with the devices, the more bloatwear, the lesser specs, things just slow down quickly. I don't think that's the case with the Pixel. Oh and did I mention it'll get seven years of software updates. So you buy this thing today and if you like to keep your phone for a long time, you can keep that phone for seven years. That's pretty incredible. Been testing a website. I don't know if I mentioned this on last week's show, but it's called Simply Codes. So if you're looking for promo codes that actually work, this is it. I have switched to this on my computer and I'm not kidding. I've been using it for the past two weeks or so. It is really really good. It's called simply Codes. Let me just make sure. Yeah, simplycodes dot com and you download it's you know, you can search for the codes on the website. You can download the extension on your Chrome browser and it's quite incredible. I'm telling you, the codes that I've gotten on this thing have worked almost every single time. How many times have you you know, you get to the checkout at the website you're making a you know, a purchase, and it says, oh, enter your promo code. You go, what, Well, now that I know there's a promo code option, there's got to be a promo code out there. And you start searching promo code whatever website name, and you start typing in these random codes. Nine times out of ten they never ever work. And so if you want a code that actually works, I'm telling you this Simply Codes. I think in my experience it has saved me money. It actually does work. So if you want to sign up for Simply Codes, you can just go to their website and tell me what you think. I think it's pretty good. They say that they just came out this new like AI powered system this week, and that's why they say they have tens of They scan tens of thousands of codes daily to provide the most relevant and reliable author offers. You can also submit your own promo codes via the app. You can like take a screenshot of a promo code that you get and it will kind of slice and dice and get all the information out there. So I takes a lot for me to like switch from what I was using before, which was Honey, and I still think Honey is good. Oh the one downside of simply Codes so Honey will try all the codes for you. This one does not try the codes. You have to copy and paste them in, so it's like a little bit extra work. But in my experience, like the couple times I've used it, it's the codes have worked like right off the bat. So the first time I pasted one in it worked. So anyway, again, the website simplycodes dot com. I'll put the link online. Just go to Rich on tech dot tv, hit the light bulb and you can get the show notes. I also wanted to mention this. So I love to listen to articles because I read a lot, but sometimes my eyes are just tired and I'm like, you know what, can you read this to me? And so there's a couple ways, and I mentioned this in my newsletter this week, a couple of ways to listen to articles. So there's a brand new app this week. I know it's iOS only, so if you have Android, please do not come after me. But hopefully they'll come out with an Android version soon. But I will go through some options that you can get on Android. But this is a new app called eleven Labs Reader. So if you go to the app store on iOS and I'll tell you exactly what to type in to search for this. Okay, it's coming up, eleven labs Reader AI Audio. Type that in. It only has fifteen ratings. That's how new this app is. It just came out this week. It's like secret basically. But eleven Labs is an incredible AI company and they do AI voices, so beach to text. That's what their whole game is. And this app is basically a proof of concept for their AI voices. So you can paste in any text you want. You can paste in a link to an article, you can upload an entire PDF and it will read the entire thing to you. Again, it's called eleven Labs Reader AI Audio and it's excellent. I use it yesterday at the gym to just listen to a whole bunch of articles that were on my list. And I will tell you, because it's new there, it was down for a little bit. I think so many people are like discovering this that it's kind of of course, now that I mention it, it'll probably be even worse, but at least you'll have it on your phone. It was like an hour yesterday where it didn't work properly, but then it worked again now if you want to. By the way, the voices are so high quality. You can pick from like a whole bunch of different voices on there. You can pick one that you like and it just reads the text to you. It's really really good. So the other options if you want a speech to text, these are all Pocket, poc k et Pocket. What they can do is really cool is you put you put your articles in there and then it will read them in succession. So it can just go through your reading list and just read them.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 1: The audio is not as high quality as something like eleven Labs, but it's still it's totally free. It works, and it's really good. And Pocket is just a great way to save articles to read later in general. So if you're like me, where you're coming across a bunch of stuff throughout the day, some things are really short, you can tackle them right away. Some things are much longer. You want to read them maybe on a plane or when you have a minute to sit on your couch. Pocket is a great app for that. So that will also read your articles out now a premium version of this whole thing is called speech a FI, and I might have mentioned this on the radio show a couple weeks ago, but speech a PI is again they use AI voices. The thing is, you can use this app for free, but if you pay, you get the highest quality voices, and it's good. The only thing I've noticed about speech a fy the downside is that sometimes they don't completely skip all the nonsense in an article, Like if you put an article in there, it may still read like, I don't know, just different things that it should have cleared out. Like eleven Labs does a really good job of just isolating the article, and so does Pocket. Speech a FI needs to learn a little bit better about how to isolate just the article text. But that's a good one and you can. You've got to pay if you want like the best features. It's a freemium version of things completely free on Android. This is excellent. Is called Google Reading Mode, and this is an accessibility feature, but it's really really handy and it reads in a really nice way. You can set a shortcut so you can either have an icon on your screen all the time and anything you're listening you're looking at on your Android screen. You can just tap this reading mode and it will start reading whatever's on the screen to you. It also displays it in a nice easy to way, easy to read version. And again that's called good Reading Mode. That's for Android. It's completely free. It's an accessibility feature and it works really well. I have mindset on the Samsung where if I'm on an article on a page, all I have to do is swipe up with two fingers from the bottom of the screen and it immediately puts my phone into this Android reading mode. And so you can see that, you know, I've got this article up. Actually, let me bring up like a real article, because that was just a tweet that I brought up. Okay, so let's go to This is Stephen and Wired. So I bring up the two little swipes and now I can just press play and immediately it's going to start reading this article. Probably put my volume up here. So there you go.
Speaker 11: Close of demos from open Ai and Google that started the week's show. There's plenty more disruption to come.
Speaker 1: So there you can get a little idea of the voice. You can change the text, you can make it faster or slower. And then Safari has something called listen to page. So if you're on Safari on the iPhone and you tap reader mode, they have a little way that you can use just it'll just read the page to you. And so again you go into the reader mode and then it just says tap AA, then tap listen to page and it'll just read the page to you. And the other thing is if you're anywhere on your iPhone, you could just ask Siri to read this. So all you have to say is you know, hey, Siri, read this, or I want to listen to this page. And of course I just activated every iPhone in front of me. But again, these are the kind of things. I mentioned all this in my newsletter. So if you want links to everything I just mentioned, go to the website rich on tech dot TV. It's the first article on the top. It says AI wars Google versus Chat GBT. That's the kind of stuff that I go through my newsletter. I test a bunch of stuff and I explain how these things work and I give you options. So instead of just giving you the one new app the eleven labs, I say, well, here's the alternatives as well. So again the website rich on tech dot TV. If you like listening to stuff as much as you like reading stuff. These uh, these options are really really incredible, all right? Eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one more rich on Tech coming your way right after this. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Let's go to uh John in uh Utica? Is that? Am I saying that?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 1: Utica? New York?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, I feel like I should know that I grew up in New Jersey and I've been there and uh yeah, isn't it like a college there, university there? You go, I've been there, so I should know how to say that. Oh my gosh. But see, you know sometimes you just forget stuff when you get older. How can I help?
Speaker 9: I've got too hopefully short questions. The first one is when I upload a file to a backup cloud services, the date of the file changes.
Speaker 1: Why does it change?
Speaker 9: Because that's when it was received by the backup service.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 9: You know when you when you look at a file that shows its name and then to the right of it usually is a date.
Speaker 1: Right, okay, got it?
Speaker 9: When you upload that bit surprised you haven't run into that problem no matter who I call out anything. Uh, they it's dated at the time that they got it, not when it was created.
Speaker 1: Okay, creation date, Okay, got it.
Speaker 9: So so my question is, you know a lot of my files are important with that date, stand which disappears if it's sent tobacco.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, so I use drop Box. I'm trying to think, let me look in there and see what happens when I upload a file. So if I put a file into Dropbox, it typically has a couple of different ways to look at those files. So I'm looking at the modified Okay, so there's modified, and then there's size, and then there's a let's see there. I thought there was a way to like look at different Okay, there you go. So you've got show modified type extension. Yeah, just mine just says modified, so that I guess would be the creation date. But doesn't the actual file have some metadata in it that would tell you when it was What are you trying to do? What are you trying to figure out which files to get rid of or what? You know? What are you trying to do with this with these files?
Speaker 9: Because they were taking a specific date and probably had a specific place, that's important for me to keep track of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when you look, when you drill down into the kind of the metadata of the file, it should have a created date and a modified date? Do they do? They not have that?
Speaker 9: How how do I easily get into that data info?
Speaker 1: So if you're looking at the file, are you on Windows or a Mac?
Speaker 9: I'm using the Total Commander?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I would I would just whatever you can do to write click, you know, to like get info for the file. That's what I would do and see if that has like a different date.
Speaker 9: But it's funny you're saying that the Windows built in file commander will show meta data.
Speaker 1: It should if you're looking at the data like the info and the file. Yeah, I don't have a I don't have that.
Speaker 9: So it's so I'll try that.
Speaker 10: Oh you know.
Speaker 9: One way I found to overcome that is is it a file first, and then when it goes into the backup service or in the correct data is there? You know, the original data is there?
Speaker 1: Oh right, Okay, that's now. What what are you doing with these files? Are they kind of like a backup of your system? Or is it a backup of like a photo or what? What are they.
Speaker 9: All of that?
Speaker 4: Deal.
Speaker 1: Okay u.
Speaker 9: Yeah, system data, I do not back up because maybe that needs to keep its original date. You never know what the most kind of files, but my personal data files photos of crips. You know, if you if they find a photo and they were saying, do you have no idea when that photo was taken?
Speaker 1: Well that should be in the metadata of the picture itself, like the file. So if you're looking at that picture, there should be metadata that's that's saying when that picture was taken. That's that's kind of embedded in the file and you can look at if you download an app, that's the EXIF data e x if. Have you heard of that term? Right, so that you should you know, you should be able to view the exif data for that photo. But again I would in Windows, you know, if you if you write click and you know, do the properties or whatever, you should be able to see the both the creation date and a modification date. And in general you can you can also add columns to your Windows Explorer that show you know when something was created versus modified. So that should help in some of these aspects. But with photos specifically, most of the modern programs like you know, the Google Photos and things you know, they will they will display pictures in order based on the metadata. So even if you upload a photo, like, for instance, if I upload a photo that I find on a drive somewhere that is, you know, an older photo, it will still put that in the right place in my collection based on the metadata. And by the way, there is one trick if you're using I know this applies to Google Photos, but in Google Photos, there is a way to arrange your stuff by recent So if you go into to explore on Google Photos and you scroll down, there's a section called recently added, and that will put all of your photos in the order they were uploaded, even if the dates are different. So that's a neat way to look at it. And it's similar to the iPhone. So if you think about the iPhone the way they organize pictures, if you go into your photos, there is a recence, and that's putting all your pictures in no matter what the date is, it's just putting them in the order you kind of put them on your phone, versus the library which puts them in date order. So this is good to know. Eighty eight rich one oh one. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to Rich on tech Rich Demiro here talking technology with you joining me or actually I talked to Jenny Blackburn at Google all about Gemini. If you haven't tried Gemini, this is formerly barred. This is Google's answer to chat GPT, although of course they would never describe it that way, but this is their AI assistant. You can access it at Gemini dot Google dot com. There's also ways of getting it on your smartphone. But Jenny Blackburn explains at Google Io all the different ways that you can use Google's Gemini AI assistant. So, first off, explain what Gemini is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So Gemini is a conversational AI assistant that you can access on the web on your phone and it can help you with all sorts of things. So it can help you brainstorm, it can help you plan, and it can even take action on your behalf with Google's apps and services integrated. One of the things that people tell me they love the most about Gemini is it can help you write and express yourself.
Speaker 1: What about the new features today? What do you think are some of the key features that you announced here for the average consumer to try.
Speaker 5: Yeah, such exciting announcements today, and I think like the overview for me, is it really is becoming this personal AI assistant you know a couple examples, is becoming way more capable of doing complex tasks, so you can upload lots and lots of files or really large files and Gemini can help process those. As one example. The other thing that I think is awesome for consumers is Gemini Live. So Gemini Live lets you have a conversation like you and I are having with Gemini in real time, and we use our speech technology to just make it supernatural and easy to do that. The third thing is we're adding more apps and services that you can access through Gemini, so you can use Gemini to add things to your calendar.
Speaker 1: For example, you could just take a picture.
Speaker 5: Of a event that maybe your kids got invited to and Gemini I'll just add it right to your Google calendar.
Speaker 1: When people are choosing AI to use, what do you think sets Gemini apart?
Speaker 5: Well, we're building AI that's great for everyone, and so I think what makes Gemini so awesome and what people tell us that they love is that integration into the apps and services from Google that they use all the time. We're also working hard to make Gemini just really easy for everybody to use, so you don't have to have any special skills. You just ask it or what you want and.
Speaker 1: It will help you out about that integration with like the different services. I saw they did a Google photos, like you can ask what's my license plate? Or when did my kid learn to swim? How do you kind of balance the privacy of your data and also the information that you want to get out of that data.
Speaker 5: Yeah, privacy is super important. We don't train our models on any personal information, and everything that you upload to Gemini that's personal stays private to your account.
Speaker 1: What kind of improvements are we seeing when it comes to interacting with these assistants, they almost feel like a person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the natural is the goal, and with Live it just feels so natural and seamless and so an example, you know, I can interrupt Gemini like I would a person. You know, sometimes when you use your voice, you have to like push a button or you have to say things just the right way. But now with Gemini, you literally can just say what's on your mind, you can pause, you can say and and I just gets it naturally.
Speaker 1: And also I saw the email feature where you can now summarize your emails and it can be like an assistant in that regard. Explain that feature a little bit, like, how are people going to be using that?
Speaker 5: You think users are already using that feature with our Gmail extension in Gemini, and now we're bringing Gemini actually into Gmail. So if you're in Gmail and you're looking at your in box, you have a ton of email, you can actually just ask Gemini to summarize that email for you and save yourself a whole.
Speaker 9: Bunch of time.
Speaker 1: They showed off a really neat travel itinerary generator. Explain what makes that so unique?
Speaker 5: I am so excited about this. So already users love to come to Gemini and brainstorm travel ideas. But what chatbots typically aren't very good at is understanding the physics of the real world, like the fact that you have to have time between events and there are opening hours and closing hours, and so with this new planning experience in Gemini, we've train the models on some of those space and time dynamics, and so Gemini can actually create a really realistic itinerary for you that takes into account how long you have to you know, plan to travel between places. And then because of the Gmail integration, it can pull in your itinerary to help you get started. So I can't wait to use it for my own travel. I think it's going to be a killer. The one other thing I'll just mention that we announced today that I think is super cool speaking of personalization, is something called gems, and so this lets users create their own tailored versions of Gemini that are four specific things. So I have a gem that I've created for travel planning for my family and knows what kind of hotels we like to stay at, It knows what our typical budget is. It knows where we live and how far are we like to go, and so you know, you can create as many of these as you want, and it just it's a great example of how Gemini is becoming so much more personal and tailored to your specific needs.
Speaker 1: And what's the goal of all this? What's the kind of of you know, end result. Is it really our information? Is it Google's information that we're kind of access quicker or is it a combination of both.
Speaker 5: I think that the end goal for me is really to make everyone have, you know, access to this personal AI assystem that helps them live their best life, that helps them express themselves better, be more organized save time. I think that's the end goal.
Speaker 1: Confused or I think some people may be confused on how to access Gemini because we hear this, but it's also an app, it's also a feature, it's also a thing. So how do people access this tool?
Speaker 5: Yes, we are working to make Gemini available everywhere, but if you want to go right to Gemini, you can go to Gemini dot Google dot com, and you can also download the Gemini app on Android and on iOS. You can go right into the Google app and Gemini is there. There's a star at the top of the.
Speaker 1: App that you just tap on, and can you give me some kind of like hidden tips or tricks that people may not you know, if you've never used Gemini, Like, where do I start? I know you got the commercial with just the prompt, but you know what do I say to it?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, the commercial the cat playing guitar. You know, you can just describe an image that you want Gemini to make for you, and it will draw that image up for you. So that is a really fun place to start. The other one I encourage people to try is we all have things we have to write, whether it's a thank you card or like declining an event that you don't really want to go to, you can just go to Gemini and say, hey, I need to write this message. Here's what I wanted to say, and Gemini will write that for you. And so that's a great way to get started.
Speaker 1: Since it is so simple. There's no instructions. It's just a box that says, you know, prompt, type your prompt. I mean, how do you give people ideas on how to use this stuff because there's so many like hidden features inside. Yeah, we got a challenge.
Speaker 5: Yeah that I think it is super important to help people know how to get started. And so when you go to Gemini, one of the things that you'll see is above that input box, we have some suggestions for things that you can try, and if you tap or you click on those, it will put that into the prompt and you can run through that and kind of get an idea of what that response would be like. So that's one thing that we're doing to help people know how to interact with this. But our goal is really that people don't need special expertise. They should be able to just start chatting with Gemini the way they would chat with a actual assistant.
Speaker 1: And for people that maybe using another assistant like open Ai, Chat EBT, probably lesser so clawed, But like, what do you say to them, do you think they should try Gemini?
Speaker 5: I definitely think everybody should try Gemini. We're working to make it such an awesome, helpful and really fun assistant that just helps everybody with whatever they need to do.
Speaker 1: Once again, that was Jenny Blackburn of Google explaining Gemini. If you haven't tried it out, definitely do it. It's on your iPhone if you have the Google app, open up the Google App up at the top, you'll see it says search and then there's a little star. If you tap that star, it will convert the Google App into Gemini and just have some fun ask it some questions. It is very knowledgeable. On Android, you can just go in search on the play Store Gemini, you can download the app and use it that way, and then on the web Gemini dot Google dot com. Check it out. If you're looking for real time information, like stuff that's more so than just ideas and things like you want information about where you're traveling or something like that, like this is what Gemini is really good at all. Right, coming up, we are going to do the feedbag segment, that is your emails, your comments into the show. My name is rich Sarmiro. You are listening to Rich on tech. Before we get to the feedbag, let me just two things I wanted to note Google. You know how Google search results have gotten really cluttered with all kinds of pictures and videos and Twitter and articles and whatever. If you want to go back to the old style of just text based links, there is now a new filter on Google called Web. So the next time you do a search, it may pop up as a little button underneath the search bar. Like I search for my name rich to Mirowna says images, news, videos, Wikipedia, Web. So if I tap now web, it gets rid of everything except the links. So if you just want a pre two thousand and seven Google, you can tap web. It doesn't do it for every search, but it does it on a search by search basis. So if you're looking for just links, there is now a filter on Google for links. If it doesn't show the word web underneath your search, go to where it says all filters, and if you scroll down it'll say web right there. And iOS seventeen point five is available now if you haven't already updated your iPhone. This has a couple new things for the folks over in the EU, but here in the US. If you like to play word games, there is a new Quartiles game inside Apple News Plus. Unfortunately it's only for subscribers, but if you subscribe to Apple News Plus, you can access this new Quartiles game. You build words, and the longer you build the words the letters they give you, the more points you get. I tried it this morning. It's very tough. Apple News also has an offline mode, so if you fly a lot and you want something that's offline and you could download your phone. This allows offline access to magazines, newspapers, and narrated articles automatically downloads the content. There's from some Find My Network updates and a new repair state so if you send your phone in for repair, you can still leave find My on which is a nice addition. And there's fifteen notable security patches. And by the way, if you want to find that Quartiles game, open up the Apple News app and tap the following tab in the lower right hand corner and then tap Quartiles. You'll see under puzzles. All right, let's get to the feedbag. This is a feedback plus the mail bag equals feedbag. These are the emails the comments that I get from you. If you'd like to submit yours, just go to Rich on tech dot tv and hit contact. James from Tampa, Florida says you mentioned you are currently testing Tello. We have been using Tello and really enjoy their simple eSIM activation, concise invoicing plan prices, ease of changing plans, and their coverage. So good, so far, so good, better than my mint line in terms of data speeds and coverage even though they both use Tea mobile. If I need to call support, I get right through to my helpful customer service, even though it is offshore. I currently have six eSIMs on my iPhone fifteen promacs, only two are active at a time. Three of them are playing Tello one hundred minute lines with no data because they are special phone numbers vanity numbers that are easy to remember that I don't want to give up, so I just parked them with Tello until I decide what to do. Great show, as always, Chow Yes, Tello is a great option if you want something that is super simple and gives you a very customizable way of creating your phone plan. So if you just want talking text, you can sign up for that. If you just want tell a text, you can sign up for that. If you just want data, you can sign up for that. If you want unlimited, you can sign up for that. If it's really really great Tello dot com, you can find a link on my website. Rich on tech dot tv, I've got a a referral link that I think gives you like ten bucks off or something like that, only because I use it, Robert from Sacramento says on the May eleventh program, a gentleman mentioned he was happy with his Galaxy S ten, and you correctly asked about security updates. He said he was getting them. However, Samsung stopped updating that phone in April twenty twenty three, so unless he rooted his phone, he has gone over a year without an update. Given that he also mentioned doing nature photography having a quality camera with him all the time. Is I'm port will a new phone matches Laika or whatever system he uses.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 1: Heck, my Pentax under certain circumstances, especially telephoto, takes better pictures of my S twenty four Ultra, but the quality top of the line phone cameras is amazing. Anyone serious about photography should invest impossible, if possible, in a phone with a quality camera. I did think that. After the caller said that his S ten was still getting updates, I was like, I don't think it is. There is a website you can check. It's called end of life and it'll tell you when the software is updated. So I should come up with the if you just search end of life, that does not come. This does not come up. I gotta find the link for that website. Richard from Murrieta says, Hey, rich I'm a regular listener and I want to pass this along if you're inclined to inform your audience. Frontier Airlines promotes its go Wild Pass, which for one price, offers unlimited flights for the summer or the year. I purchased a yearly pass for five hundred and ninety nine dollars. However, when I tried booking flights, nothing was available. I contacted Frontier. They said I had twenty four hours to apply for a refund, but I was past the allotted time. I resolved this with my credit card company, which has given me a credit. Despite Frontier's deceptive policy. I have since found numerous negative reviews online from others in the same situation. Please inform your audience that this program is as close to a scam as it gets. Thank you, Rich. I've heard of this program. I have not familiar, but any unlimited flight program I would assume you have to be very, very, very flexible, because if they're giving away a lot of flights for that one price, it's basically whatever's left on the plane. Melissa from Recita, California rights Hi, Rich, I've been watching and enjoying your KTLA segments for many years, and I've always wondered why there's so little attention paid to Android by seemingly everyone in your field. As a decade's long user of all things Samsung cell phone, own TVVCR, DVD, and now smart TVs, I'm wondering why the overwhelming majority of information, tips, updates, and reviews of cell phones are focused on Apple, while it seems Samsung is more of an afterthought or a courtesy mentioned when it comes to security, convenience updates, and tips about using it more efficiently, everyone seems mostly to leave it up to the user to figure it all out. Thanks for your time, Melissa. Melissa, I do understand that the industry is very iOS and Apple centric. When I wrote my book, yes, it was for iOS and there was a very particular reason for that. It's because iPhone works the same for everyone around the world. And I think that's the biggest difference between iPhone and Samsung and what makes it tough to cover Samsung in the same way. There are many different versions of their software, There are many different devices, and they all work slightly differently, and then the accessories are all different as well. You may have a Samsung phone plus a one plus watch and nothing headphones, and it's a It's a combination of things and that's what makes the Android ecosystem so great, but it also makes it really tough to say one thing that works for everything. I would like to say personally that I hope you notice on this show, I do my best to try to be equal and to also talk about Apple and Samsung. Maybe not equally, but I do try to give it a go and make sure that I'm mentioning both of them. Well, that is going to do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to rich on tech dot TV. If you would like to submit your email for me to read on the show or to answer, just go to the website Rich on Tech dot tv hit the contact link, and believe me, many of you do that. Every week. I do see all of the emails. I cannot respond to all of them, but when possible, I do, and I very much enjoy doing that. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. I am active probably the most on Instagram, also on x and also on Facebook, so you can find me on all of those social media platforms. Next week it's Microsoft's turn. They are talking about AI and there might even be some hardware surprises, so I will bring you the latest from up in Redman and Seattle, Washington. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. My name is rich Demiro. I'll talk to you real soon.