Speaker 1: Either of those emotions that we choose. We then have to believe that that emotion is serving.
Speaker 2: Us so fine, so really and you you thirty for thirty two. Right now we only about fifteen to twenty minutes in brother.
Speaker 3: They call it time out about ladies, gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Welcome Not My Best Moment podcast myself. I'm Kevin Stage, where I talk to artists, friends, athletes, entertainers about their failures. If you didn't know, I'm the author of the New York Times best selling book Successful Failure.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: This is an offshoot of that book, where we talk about your successful failures. Today, I have the only Devon Franklin. And I've never said this in front of Damon Franklin, but I will say this today. Your family will tell you, oh, you got to meet with Tyler, you got to go with Oprah.
Speaker 3: When you get to Hollywood, you got to go to Oprah. You got to go with Tyler.
Speaker 2: When you're actually in the industry, your agent will tell you, if you're faith based, you got to go to divn As soon as they know you love the Lord, oh you got to meet Divine Franklin. Divonne is the way the truth of the life. I said, I thought that was a lawyer.
Speaker 3: No, he is the Lord, but also Divine is Lord.
Speaker 2: Let me tell y'all if y'all don't know divn Ruth and Boaz, that's Devon Franklin produced that flaming hot breakthrough. The Star Male Goes from Heaven, the Karate Kid All that is the Von Franklin on.
Speaker 4: The producer's side.
Speaker 3: He also acts as well.
Speaker 2: He's on Divorce Sisters, and he's on Soul on Fire, which has a ninety eight percent Center score. Excuse me, ninety percent on Rotten Tomatoes, Ladies and Gentlemen. He's also the author of Produced by Faith. He been on stage in New York City off Broadway, Off Broadway with Audible. And we're not here to talk about any of that, none of his successes pitch posh. Today we're here to talk about. Please welcome Devon Franklin. Devon Franklin. Now we were just talking off camera. I kid, but I'm very serious. Every agent I've ever had, they don't know we know each other, right, They are like, you know who you need.
Speaker 3: To talk to? You love the Lord, you need to talk to Devon Franklin.
Speaker 2: I feel like you are a guiding star in the faith for me, and I'm gon give your flowers right here while you're alive and you can smell them in the faith based but not only church way. You are the goiding star for me because I grew up in a wall that I didn't want to just do church things only to me, you have never lost your north star. You have never done anything you shouldn't be proud of. But you also aren't just church movie, church movie, church movie. You are just responsible for good films. Relationship Goals is the most recent example. That's just a great film. Before we get to anything that you wrote down, I want to talk about what I wrote down. Yeah, as a guy who believes in the Lord, how do you even navigate Hollywood in a way that protects your faith but also protects your desire to chase the creative arts in a way that's not only church based film?
Speaker 4: Right? You know?
Speaker 1: So it's an interest. That's an interesting question, you know, and hopefully I have a concise answer.
Speaker 3: So because you got top yeah all day, Yeah you know.
Speaker 4: But but the answer is is this.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, when I started in Hollywood, you know, I started at eighteen years old, really eighteen years old?
Speaker 3: What were you actually doing? At eighteen?
Speaker 1: I was interning at a company called Handprint Entertainment no longer exists, and the principles were Benny Medina and James Lasseter Jeff Pollock who passed away, Peter Golden, and they represented Will Smith and Jada and Maya Campbell and Babyface Michelle and Dego Cello.
Speaker 4: And so at eighteen years old, I was an intern.
Speaker 3: If you don't know Fresh Prince, he created.
Speaker 4: Fresh Prince and he also manages j Love, yes, you know.
Speaker 1: And so I was, you know, getting coffee, uh, you know, copying scripts, picking up the dry clean and getting the lunch orders.
Speaker 4: That's how I got started.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And for me, you know, growing up in the church, you know, I was always focused on going to Hollywood, like that's where I was going, like just from a from a young age, I just felt like that's where I needed to be. And my faith was always important. It was it was never like it was never something I thought a lot about. It was just it was in me, yes, you know, I mean going to church every weekend. And my uncle was the pastor of the church, and so I was, you know, very very involved in the church usher and deaconing, you know, preaching, uh, you know, playing all the thing church you play.
Speaker 2: That's right, get on, get on that drum so we can service. You know, that's real church.
Speaker 4: You know. Yes, yes.
Speaker 1: So by the time I was eighteen years old and I got to Hollywood, you know, it was not even a thought about like, okay, can I honor my faith?
Speaker 4: I was just like, oh, this is just who I am.
Speaker 1: So at eighteen years old before in the internship interview, they asked me, Hey, is there anything else you want us to know? And I said, well, yeah, I said, I observe the Sabbath. So if taking this job, this internship, would require me to work on the Sabbath, I won't take it. It was just that it was just very clear from the jump from the jump, and they were like, oh, okay, well yeah, no problem. We anybody even know what Sabbath was?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What no problem? Right?
Speaker 2: Cool? Cool?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I was like, hey, I don't work Friday night sundown a Saturday night soundown yeah, And they were like, no problem.
Speaker 4: And so that for me, the foundation was always just being authentic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and being true yeah.
Speaker 1: And so as I started to continue to navigate the business and you know, move from being in an intern to an assistant, to a junior executive to more senior executive and now running my own company. It's always been just be true. And part of my truth is I love the Lord, you know, the follower of Christ. And so the other part of this is being in the business. The scripture, the scripture that says you have to study to show yourself approved. That's it's and a lot of times in life we want the approval, but we don't want to study.
Speaker 3: Okay, more there, that's good.
Speaker 1: So so so as it relates to entertainment, it's one thing to say, oh, I want to be successful, but it's another thing to understand the path to success is directly through the path of studying. I had to learn the business. I had to, I mean literally every day. My passion, you know, initially was like I want to produce films. That was what drove me. And so but every day as an intern, as an assistant, as a junior executive, as it seems I'm learning the business. How do you make movies? How do you make them better? How do you develop stories? How do you work with writers? How do you work with actors, How do you work with directors? Why do some movies work? Why don't they work? Like completely immersing myself in the business so that when we get to a place, when I got to a place where I could start making my own movies, you know, I could do it in a way with credibility and with experience and expertise. So the answer to the question was it was about being authentic and it was about committing to the process because I wanted to run my own production company when I was, you know, eighteen years old. I mean even when I graduated USC. My senior thesis was a business plan for my production company at twenty two. Really, yes, but nobody was going to give me no money to run a production company.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It took me fourteen years, fourty fourteen years from that business plan to actually starting the company.
Speaker 3: Oh now that's good.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, So you went from twenty two thirty two, thirty four, thirty six, yes.
Speaker 3: Always having that in your mind. Yes, how did you stay humble? How did you stay focused to have this?
Speaker 2: Because a lot of times I feel like social media and the quickness of the Internet.
Speaker 3: It robs people of the like.
Speaker 2: What I'll call the nineties version eighties version right, We grew up in similar areas when we grew up. When you had an artist, they would take you in the garage for two years. No shows, no radio, rehearsal, training, all that stuff. New addition, shut up close that garage. We're going to get in here and learn how to be artists nowadays, no disrespect. A lot of times you have a hit song, your song's number one, you go straight to Coachella. But that's not the case for you. How did you stay focused on your dream and work your way up from literally picking up coffee and ironing?
Speaker 3: Like, how did you?
Speaker 2: How did you stay true to yourself, knowing what you wanted to do the whole time?
Speaker 1: Well, see, this is where you know, I think sometimes you know, being raised in the church, we think what we learned is on some level theological. But this is where it became very practical to me, just that concept of faith. You know, faith is a substance of things. We hope for the evidence of things we don't see. We walk by faith, not by sight. So you know, I was like, Okay, I have the faith to believe and keep seeing my company even though I don't see it. And so it was that mental picture that then allowed me to just focus and say, Okay, God, I believe you gave me this image, so I'm going to keep working. And then the other part of this is as I was working and learning the business, you know, my goal was, Okay, I'm going to be of service. And I think when you talk about this generation, I think this is what's getting lost. It's like the people that I worked for, Benny Medeina, James Lasster, Will Smith, all of these amazing you know, culture changers and artists. And for me, how did I What did I want from that? I just wanted information how do I become successful? So then how did I get that information? I had to serve. I had to serve, and I had to say, hey, you know, let me let me because everybody wants to go put me on. They want to you know, but it's like, no, no, no, my work works as an intern and assistant is gonna be so excellent. You're gonna you're gonna say, yeah, we just gotta we gotta help this dude out right.
Speaker 4: And so the way of that I did it was just staying focused.
Speaker 1: And there's you know, it's in this other part of it, you know again, not trying to get churchy.
Speaker 2: You get churchy here, turn at them. No, we love the Lord here at not my best moment. You won't love him on the Mother podcast, on the iHeart of the Radio. But we love the Lord here are not my best moment because he's from a mighty long way. You could be churchytel. You can't be churching nowhere else. You could be churchy here right here.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's it's this idea of like staying committed to the process and feeling God along the way. And so what I mean by that was it was even though you know, at twenty five, twenty eight, twenty nine, twenty thirty, I didn't have the company, I could see God's hand guiding me, moving, opening up doors, opening up opportunities. So even though I didn't have exactly what I was praying for in the macro sense, I could feel that this is where I'm supposed to be, this is where I need to be. There's then clearly if I was ready for the company, I would have it. So I'm not ready.
Speaker 4: For it, so let me, you know, learn, let me shave. And so that's what it was.
Speaker 1: It was keeping that mental picture, having the faith to believe it, and feeling God's presence along the way. So from that twenty two to to thirty six, it was like, Okay. There were times I was frustrated, there were times I pried, there were times about.
Speaker 4: God, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: But then I would look around and say, Okay, I see momentum, I see movement, you know, I see progress, and sometimes that progress is incremental.
Speaker 4: It was just a step.
Speaker 1: You see it anyway, And it was it was that combination that allowed me to endure to the point when it was finally time for me to be able to start my own, you know, company and going on my own.
Speaker 2: I want to get to your comfort, but first I want to I want to I want to pause here, and I want to ask you this. In this industry, we both came from the same place. We were both at essence Black women in Hollywood, and I was talking to a friend of mine and she was like, you know, I feel like I'm in these rooms and like I'm near these people, but I'm not these people. So you start off at eighteen with Will Smith James Lasser, who you know, Will has been at this level for a long time time, right how did you And from when I've known you, You've always been a part of like big projects, big films, both you know, working for these companies and on your own. But at the same time them movies end. And what I've learned about this business, people work with you, they are very nice. That movie ends, They shake your hand, take your picture at the rat party. They go on to their next project, and you go on to yours. They might go to Calabasa's Wooden Hills, Hidden Hills. You go back where I live, Reseda in North Hollyoo would we go back over the valley?
Speaker 3: You open that apartment?
Speaker 2: You know, how do you stay focused when you're with people who have I don't want to say made it, but they're further along in your career. And then your friends and family are like, oh, brother, you was with X, Y and Z and you know, yeah, brother, I ain't got no rent. I'm in the eating Rahmen, no packing ceial number.
Speaker 4: I've been there.
Speaker 2: So how do you, like, how do you stay positive knowing that people thought you made it into yourself?
Speaker 3: You like, brother, I got a long way to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, staying positive it's it's it's so funny It's like one of my first experiences interning was, you know, I used to drive Benny Medina around from meeting the meeting and stuff.
Speaker 3: And Davon, you really got it out the mud man.
Speaker 4: People don't know that.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: I just think like, oh, you know, I've only known you as Franklin.
Speaker 2: Like there's a certain amount of humbleness to pick up launch and drive people around.
Speaker 5: It that way.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, And and what I loved about it was I got a chance to listen to the phone calls. Oh no, So it was like it was like being in school, so I could hear, you know, how he was doing deals, how he was, you know, managing town.
Speaker 4: So that was that was study for me.
Speaker 1: That was like a masterclass, right and so and so for me, what was so funny is there was one time when I was intern for Benny and uh, he was managing this artist and this artist had rented this major house in Hollywood Hills and I'm eighteen years old and I you know, drive him and we go up to the to the It wasn't even an event.
Speaker 4: Everybody was just hanging out.
Speaker 1: So we were just hanging out on the terrace looking out over the city and I'll never forget. I ran the into the house and used one of the phones. That's when landlines was still a thing. Oh you've been in there for real, for real, and I called. I called my folks and I said, yoh, y'all not gonna believe where I'm at and when who I'm with, I said, this is amazing. And the reason why I shared that is there's one of two ways to look at things. So like, when you're in the presence of someone who is doing what you aspire to do, or may have a lifestyle that you would say, oh wow, I want that lifestyle and you don't have it. There's two ways to deal with that, jealousy or joy. Okay, So so so you can have You can be jealous and say, oh man, well why not me? And and I'm being exposed to this but I'm not it, and I'm jealous. How do I get to be it? Or if it's being shown to me, if I'm in the proximity of it, that must mean I'm close to it. So let me have joy that God is bringing people into my life and experience that will mirror who I am and who I'm becoming.
Speaker 2: Keep going divine. I don't want to be there. I don't want to mess you up, but you minister it to me personally. I hope y'all listen it because you in here and you to be good. Now. I love that because I think you're saying that is really important for people you're in a situation if either way, yeah, you you deciding how you're.
Speaker 3: Going to look at the situation is up to you, right right.
Speaker 2: You couldn't make yourself be Benny Medina that's right, eighteen or Will Smith at twenty or two two.
Speaker 3: You could be angry frustrated.
Speaker 2: You could be you know, oh my god, god on, I want to do this and at that like understandably so, but you also took the time to say, okay, this is you took value in the service when you could have been angry that it wasn't.
Speaker 1: You absolutely and listen every time, like you know, over the years. I mean, the beautiful thing about Will is like you know, not only working for him, but then you know he's like a mentor and a friend who's giving me advice and stuff.
Speaker 4: But every time I go up to the house, I'm like, thank you, Okay, Jesus, you showing me this.
Speaker 1: Ooh boy, my house about to be amazing because if you letting me see this, I'm not gonna be jealous, if I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Be joyful, right because you let me know. Okay, yeah, how you do this? This is how you live on this level?
Speaker 1: You know, because I think it's important because because there's another quick idea, which is either of those emotions that we choose, we then have to believe that that emotion is serving us.
Speaker 2: So so fine, So you're thirty for thirty two right now. We only about fifteen to twenty minutes in. Brother, they call him time out, time out. You hitting so good. They're like, yo, get him. Don't want the Von Frankly. I'm sorry for interrupting, y'all. Y'all don't understand. I'm trying to be cool. Y'all, don't understand who Devin Franklin is to me. Now you don't understand. Go ahead, I'm talking. If you're going ahead and love it, I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying that those feelings we have to believe service us. So so if I'm in the proximity of something that I want or some lifestyle that I love to live, and I choose jealousy. Right, then I have to I think say, hey, well, why if I'm choosing jealousy, why does jealousy serve me? And if it doesn't serve me, then I've got to put it back, like I can't pick up that emotion. And sometimes when we choose jealousy, what it does is it gives us the comfort of not actually going out and believing and living like it's going to happen. So it's like, oh, well, I'm jealous because oh that's just them and dah dah da da dah. So then that gives me an excuse to be able to say, well, you know what, I'm doing, my thing whatever, it'll be okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it won't be.
Speaker 1: Like then we kick back in a posture of defeat versus like when I choose joy, that emotion serves me. Oh my goodness, it serves my soul, it serves my outlook. I can be in any room and I'm not jealous of them. I'm joyful because I'm in the room, or I get a chance to go to a meeting, or I get a chance to be in the proximity of.
Speaker 4: A phone call. That emotion services me.
Speaker 1: So what I've learned is that any emotion we choose, we have to really be careful because if we're choosing it, it's serving us in some way.
Speaker 2: I love that and I think that that's so good, right because say you chose jealousy.
Speaker 3: Every time.
Speaker 2: You you envelop everything that jealousy brings exactly and what does it serve you? Bitterness, resentment. Now you're angry at these people enved. Now what could have been valuable to you? Just the earshot? Okay, this is how he works this deal. Oh, this is how he negotiates. Now you're thinking this whole time should have been me, He should have done that. Now you're angry at your situation where another person is like, man, that was a really valuable cause. So now you've actually come to the game with experience from his level or these people's level, with the same positioning where somebody else gotta come up with nothing but anger, frustration, resentment.
Speaker 1: And why that was so helpful to me and my journey was that I approached everything from the place of where how do I say this? The vision of who I was become going to become right running my own company, being my own man. That person in the future is who I was in the present.
Speaker 2: When you came on my email and Kurt said, divine Franklin, I knew it was gonna be for me.
Speaker 3: And I'm sorry if you listen and you married at me.
Speaker 2: Too bad this time, because I don't often get to talk to the people that.
Speaker 3: I looked up to. Too bad. Say it again.
Speaker 2: The money keep going, And I'm sorry for y'all because that is so key.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 3: Oh man, you really gotta know who.
Speaker 1: You are to do so, so that identity of who I was going to be, I didn't just I didn't wait. So when I was interning, I came in like, oh, I'm a CEO, and training, when I was assisting.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm a I'm I'm a producer.
Speaker 1: And when I was an executive. Oh man, I'm being prepared. So because what happens is when we choose that joy, then it gives us an energy and a focus and a commitment to every moment that we're in. All things work together for the good of those that love Him and are called according to His you know what I'm saying, Like like, so it's like, okay, God, if you are giving me this access and you're giving me these experiences. Then allow the identity that you've shown me, let me just live in that, and then let me be patient with when it is time for the identity to manifest, so to speak.
Speaker 3: I want to shout, shout, you want to I want to take a quick break from the show to hear from.
Speaker 5: Our ad sponsors.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this because I have a lot of friends in the industry, like myself, actors, producers. This industry is an unhealthy amount of rejection and abandonment. We've seen the stuff that you've made that has come to fruition the movies and acting or producing. What about the stuff that hasn't came that I know you were excited about. How do you keep your faith and your excitement when something you really wanted to do that was close to something fell apart and you just knew it was gonna be something.
Speaker 3: How do you not be kind of negative about like.
Speaker 2: Man, because that would have been great, the people would have liked that, I would have wanted to work on that, and you really kind of got to almost grieve that project and move on.
Speaker 3: To the next thing.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that stuff sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't, it doesn't come back at all.
Speaker 3: How do you deal with.
Speaker 1: That where you just you just said a part of it, which is to feel it first, feel how you feel.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So in situations where I've had projects, you know that didn't pan out and I put a lot of energy and effort and for whatever, and every movie has its own life, yeah, every script, you know, and so some scripts I can, you know, the story moves together very quickly and I can put it together. And then there are other scripts that take time, and then other scripts and other projects that just fall apart. And so part of it is just to acknowledge.
Speaker 4: Man, this hurts. This is really man, this I'm disappointed, you know, like like allow you talk about grief.
Speaker 1: That's like, hey, I gotta feel this, like like, you know, I can't believe I put all this energy and time and effort into this and it did not work. You gotta feel that, feel it all and say wow. The key though, is feel it without internalizing it.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, right, okay say that.
Speaker 1: So, so the project didn't work, That doesn't mean that I'm not working.
Speaker 2: See I mixed those two together, that the project didn't work, because.
Speaker 4: But no, it ain't got nothing to do with you. You You you created it.
Speaker 1: You did your part, you put it out there, and it was just about that particular project. And sometimes what happens because you know, we're going to creative business, right and it's you know, we're all sensitive on some level and all are insecure on some level, and so when we do something or we put our all into it it doesn't work out. There's a tendency to then internalize and say, well, I am a failure, you know, or where there's something wrong with me. It's like, well, no, there's nothing wrong with you. That project just wasn't the right project at the right time. What can you learn from it and what can you move on and do? And so for me, you know, when I've had those moments when I've done, you know, worked on projects that just fell apart, you know, I had to say, okay, well why did.
Speaker 4: It fall apart?
Speaker 1: And was any of it falling apart within my control? So it's almost like an analysis and assessment of Okay, well, no, I did everything I could possibly do and this is the result.
Speaker 4: So I have to just.
Speaker 1: Make peace with that, and then, because I'm not internalizing it, open myself up to what really wants to come through.
Speaker 2: Man, let me ask you this in our industry that everything you said is true and key. Sometimes you still got to go in them room and smile in people's faces. Oh yeah, hode you know they one the reason why I didn't go. And they done told you one thing on the meeting on the phone call. I got to see you at the brunch on the red car and they gonna smile in your face and you know you killed my project? How do you deal with that with a smile? And you know internally now you know good and well.
Speaker 3: You know you don't.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, because I'm divide, I hold gruggs.
Speaker 3: I say, hey, how are you?
Speaker 4: I want to hug you?
Speaker 3: But how do you maintain your sense of composure? Focus?
Speaker 2: Because you run through these people? It's a long career list. You run through people all the time.
Speaker 1: Listen you you you have to learn how to play the game. Yeah, you gotta you gotta you just And also here's the thing. This this business, Uh, it's a business that certainly, you know, people can become successful quickly and all that, but by and large it's a business that you got to pay your dues.
Speaker 4: Yes, and when you've paid your dues, then.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh great, we know what you've been through and now we're gonna give you this.
Speaker 4: So now we're gonna give you that.
Speaker 1: And it's almost like those moments when things don't go the way we want and we know this person, like because I've been in those situations for sure, it's like, I know you the one that was killing this and now you want to be cool.
Speaker 4: But but again, playing.
Speaker 1: The game is like, okay, cool, you know what, Yeah, I am not going to give you the satisfaction of me getting out of the character and integrity that I want to operate in. So I'm gonna, I'm gonna I'm a smile, I'm gonna be cool. That doesn't mean we're gonna sit up here and be buddy buddy and go, you know, hang out. But but what I'm never gonna do. My aunt Donna taught me this, don't burn a bridge because you never know when you have to cross it again.
Speaker 4: And so that very.
Speaker 1: Person you know, and and that doesn't mean you don't you're not honest about how you feel. Right conversation that I had, you know, when a deal didn't work out the way I wanted, and I was honest, I was like, hey, I don't I don't like this. I don't like how you know, you guys are doing this. I don't like how this this feels. I don't think this is the right choice. But at the end of the day, I said, it's your choice, so I respect it. And anytime that I've seen them out, you know, hey, what's up, give them a hug, how you doing, and stay cordial.
Speaker 4: Why is that important?
Speaker 1: Because so often it's our attitude that can be the thing that disrupts our ability to move forward. It's the attitude like, Okay, you know what, this person didn't me wrong.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna no, no, no, no, what do you want?
Speaker 1: You want a long career, you want you want success, you want generational success. So I'm not going to allow this person, this situation to make me so small that I have to get my get back or I have to be root.
Speaker 4: And no, I'm not gonna do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna say, you know what, if this happened, that means that means more coming and more deals, more projects, and so I'm not gonna even give this any more energy. I grieved it it didn't happen, but I'm gonna be cool. I'm gonna play the game. I'm not gonna let you see me sweat. It's all love. We good cool. I can't wait for the next one, you.
Speaker 3: Know what, because this is how I've been moving.
Speaker 2: Get in the car and yeah, it's gonna bed next one.
Speaker 3: I'm crying.
Speaker 2: But I think it's so important because it is in some ways it's I don't want to say it's unnatural, but it's unusual to like a traditional job. Yeah, Like in a traditional job, you work your way up, one on one. It's very easy. In this business. Somebody can literally decide no, yeah, and I don't even have no other reason than And the other thing is sometimes it can be like you said, actually a lot of times it's completely out of your control, but it feels like you can control it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And that is the ah, that's the conundrum, right, Yeah, you know what I mean. It's it's like, yeah, you know, we have to put works behind our faith. You know, faith that that works is dead. However, you know, we we can only control what we can control.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: And so to your point, it's like, okay, with the project, you do everything you can to get it where it needs to be.
Speaker 4: Then we have to also remember God is.
Speaker 1: The one that's really in control man, and it's his finger on the button and he's the one that pressed it.
Speaker 2: But it looked like you could say yes or no. I know God up there, but you can agree, like they said, you.
Speaker 4: Know you can. But my yes or no it's always no. Yeah, stop by here's yes or no.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: And there are things right then, projects I'm trying to sort out right now. Like I was leaning into one, I was like, oh, there doesn't feel like God's in that. And I feel all the time like, Okay, God, where's where are you? Where's the momentum here? And let me and let me, you know, follow that momentum. And the other thing for me, which was really helpful too, because what you're also articulating is that when you put so much into something and let's say that's the only project you got right at that time, you know, then there's a disappointment there and what else am I going to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And so for me, you know, the things that kind of have helped me stay successful mentally and emotionally is when I first started in the business, you know, one of my outlets was preaching, you know, and just just always preaching. It was always somebody within on the side. Sixteen years old, I was preaching, you know, and have always done it over the years. And so what that did for me was from a creative standpoint, it said, oh it, let me know, Hollywood.
Speaker 4: Is not my entire life.
Speaker 1: That's so good, you know, and like like literally, like I would be in staff meetings and I'm like, hey, I'm not disparaging anybody else in the in you know, anybody any other executive in what their path is.
Speaker 4: I said, but there's more to life than just this, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: And so being able to have a creative outlet, you know, of being able to go and preach and and and articulate, you know, the word and to help people. That gave me a perspective that helped me navigate and mitigate the different disappointments, because there have been a lot along the way. But the perspective of like, this is not all my life. And I think that's where a lot of people can go wrong, where it's like the job, whatever, industry.
Speaker 4: It becomes your life.
Speaker 1: It's like, man, you know, so then if it becomes my life, then whoever is in control of that project that job, then they become my God. If this is my life, If this job, this project is my life, then whoever is in control, that's my God. I got to make sure they're happy. If they're not happy, then what am I gonna do? And it's like, well, wait a minute. God is God. Your life is your life. Okay, this project is one part of it. That person is one part of it. If that person and what they want you to do aligns with what God wants you.
Speaker 4: To do, God bless perfect.
Speaker 1: But if you honor God and that gets you out of favor with that person, your boss.
Speaker 4: God's got you, He's got you.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you don't understand. Von Franklin. It's well for me, brother, it's well for me. I appreciate y'all for listening.
Speaker 2: I want to before I go into your not best moments, I want to ask you, could you explain to a person who doesn't understand how this industry works, what exactly a producer is. Yes, I see a movie producer. I follow you on Instagram. I see you in Traders. But you don't actually go into like you just be like I'm out here, y'all post. You don't show what out here really is and that you're right, Yeah, you are so right.
Speaker 4: Now I'm actually changing that just so.
Speaker 1: You know, I really because I realized, like I got all this experience and I just needed I just want to be more service to people. Plean in the you know, anyone that's in the business or wanting to be in the business. Like, let me just start sharing showing like, hey, this is what this looks like.
Speaker 2: Yes, so please explain to a person like what does your job actually entail?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, So a producer is fundamentally the driving force behind a project. So let's take Ruth and bo As for a moment, the movie that I did for Netflix, and so that was an idea that I came up with, Let's do a modern version of this biblical love story.
Speaker 4: Okay, great.
Speaker 1: So then as the producer, my job is to put it all together, meaning I gotta find the writer, I gotta develop the take, and the take is basically, what's the movie story of this story?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 1: So I gotta find, you know, the work with the writer. I gotta develop the take, and then I have to go sell it to a studio. So I got to go and convince executives to say Hey, this movie is gonna work.
Speaker 3: Are you literally pitching? Yeah, we will be in the room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course, absolutely, absolutely, yeah, Hey, this is.
Speaker 1: This is what we want to do, this is why I want to do it, this is why it's gonna work, and this is what this movie is about. And then the writer will walk them through what the movie is, you know, the first, second, and third act and the characters and all the things. And then once we get the okay, then the writer has to write the script, and the producer's job is to help develop that script, you know, give notes to the writer, help the writer become the best version of themselves as it relates to that script, because that script is what's gonna get greenlit or not. And then once the script is there, then I got to go find the director. You know, I'll interview multiple directors and then I'll make the choice on who I feel is best to execute the vision. And then I'll bring on my casting director. And then we got to go oversee casting. And then we got to do the budget. You know, I bring on a line producer. So the producer is the is the It's like ground zero for create for the creative process, the business process for every single movie. And that's where you know, most people don't realize that the role of the producers. For sure, the producer is like the movies that I produce, that's that generates the jobs.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, I'm getting a chance to hire the directors, hire the actors, you know, hire you.
Speaker 4: Know, the DP and create jobs for people you know.
Speaker 1: And so it's great when when I can make a project that has the opportunity to get great directors right and great actors, that really makes me feel really good. But that's the job of the producer, just to put it all together and then once it's made, you know, be there on set every day. And and a producer is also a problem solver. I mean, you are you are. I mean every movie that gets made, every television show is a miracle because there are so many problems. I mean, it's like, oh my goodness. Every day you're figuring out, Okay, what are we gonna do here? We had this plan that's not gonna work. We got to pivot. What you know, you're always thinking on your feet and you're always trying to I at least as me as a producer, I'm always trying to be the ambassador of like, we're gonna get through this, you know, like, hey, we're gonna get through it. I don't know what the answer is yet, but let's figure it out. What are the pros and cons all the things. So we do after we're done with production, then oversee post production with the director and everyone, and then once the movie is done, go out and promote it, you know, and go across the world and promote the film and all the things.
Speaker 4: So that's the role of the producer.
Speaker 1: Any film that you've ever seen that you loved it, nine times out of ten came from a producer who found a book, or found an idea, or or talked to this director, talk to this writer. There usually is a producer in the mix that if it was not for that person, that movie would have or that television show would have never happened.
Speaker 2: I love that. That was actually very concise. I think you could have took an hour. I appreciate you take a minute. That's why when Best Pictures announced, they invited producers on stage.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, director you directed, But when.
Speaker 4: The movie is the movie, it's the.
Speaker 2: They invite the producer on stage because you have low key, not even low key Hockey, the producer has lived with the film longer than anybody.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Actors by and large do not follow a film in the post when they wrap the actor into the next done. And also the actors is not involved usually in development, No, not at all. The actor doesn't come in until the script is available to be casted.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: So I think that's really important to understand, Like that can be years absolutely of a project.
Speaker 4: Right. My Relationship Goals movie on Amazon Prime. I mean that took me five years to get me Wow.
Speaker 1: In my Flaming Hot film that I did for Disney Plus and Hulu, that took me seven years.
Speaker 2: Seven years, seven years. So what happened? You see Mike Todd's book and you're like, I see a movie there. Yeah, and you got to buy the rights?
Speaker 4: Yeah. I hit him up and said, hey man, you know, let's let's make a movie out of your book. He was like great.
Speaker 1: You know, option did get worked on the movie, pitch sold it to Amazon, developed the script. You know, first script needed some work, We did some more work, we switched out writers, we got you know, got the script finally where it needed to be, had to find the director. Then once we got the director. You know, then it was like we had do another pass on the script. I mean, you know, it was just it was a process.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: But but but what I love, and it goes back to a little bit of what we talked about earlier is having other outlets.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna ask you, just do you stay focused.
Speaker 1: For five years ahead of the projects, right head of the projects and other things that I was doing, so that I can just say, Okay, well this project is gonna take a little longer, all right, let me. I'm glad that I have other things that I can focus on so that I'm not so focused on this that my emotional state is dictated by what happens or what doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: That is so good, low key.
Speaker 2: I'm really grateful to talk to you because I think i've I've like stumbled into what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and now I realized it is a very helpful position to be.
Speaker 2: In, isn't it, Because if if everything doesn't rise and fall with this project, it allows you to live your life.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got to take my son to school, I got my podcast, I got YouTube, I got all all the other things that I can control because these big projects. You can't control them fully enough, but they they have such an impact on your life.
Speaker 5: Yes, your mood.
Speaker 2: But it's like the thing that is the most important. You actually can't move along your own site. So so many other people have to actually say yes yes for this to actually happen exactly. So I think it's so key that you have those other things, because otherwise your whole personality is eving influwing with a project that you can and control.
Speaker 4: You're gonna go crazy. You're gonna go crazy, and.
Speaker 2: We're crazy, an I mean you gotta be yes, Yes, we're crazy.
Speaker 4: There's no doubt about it. You're gonna go crazy. Heart, Okay, I mean that's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Like, Okay, you know, I gotta find some other things to focus on and to fill my life with.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That gives me the ability to endure however long this project may take to get made.
Speaker 2: Hey, take on a quick break here, support the show by supporting the sponsors. Okay, Before I move on, I want to just say, what does it feel like when you've worked on something for five years or seven years and it is finally done? How do you like live with that? Is it only because you have something else working, because at some point you're like I'm done. But also this is like this has been your baby for literal years and then at some point it's done. It's on streaming or whatever. The final thing is, the last interview has happened. Do you ever struggle with like, dang, that's it for this project, Like it's had its life, it's on its second DVD release or whatever that is.
Speaker 3: Do you ever be like, dang, yeah, that's over.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I mean, you know when you were doing the intro.
Speaker 1: One of the movies I worked on as a studio executive was the remake of The Karate Kid with Jaden and we did that film in Beijing, Yeah, you know, and it was just it was such a phenomenal experience. I mean I think I went to Beijing like nine times and nine months during that period. Yeah, going back and forth to set and working on the movie, and then once it was done, we went out there to promote it, and that there was that that feeling like oh.
Speaker 4: Man, this was so good. Wow, oh man.
Speaker 1: When I produced Ruth and Boaz, you know, it was such a good experience. Relateship, so yeah, you know, yes, I there is a sense of like, wow.
Speaker 4: Does this have to end?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Does it right end?
Speaker 1: You know, and you just and I just have to say, okay, well we did the best we could. We made it as well as we can and people hopefully will enjoy it.
Speaker 4: And you just have to, you know, make peace with moving on.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this last thing. I'm so sorry. I've been almost an hour. This is my personal podcast.
Speaker 4: This I love it.
Speaker 3: One thing I've.
Speaker 2: Read when I was I was reading a book on screenwriting and they said, there's basically three movies you make, and you actually, as a producer, might even have more.
Speaker 3: It's the movie you write, the movie you.
Speaker 2: Shoot in, the movie you edit, and those are often not the same game movies because of whatever reason, the editing, the actor you wanted, the budget, How do you negotiate? Because I was just telling an employee of mine, a good producer isn't the person that plans perfectly, because regardless of how well you plan, like of course you have time for preproduction.
Speaker 3: A good producer is actually the person who solves the most problems without losing their mind.
Speaker 2: You go, how do you deal with something that you envision being one way and for whatever reason, it's not that way, and in short order you got to make it another way because you actually know what it could have been. Yes, with that director, that actor, that actress. The audience only knows what they see. Yes, but for relationship goals, you could have had say Denzeling, Violent Davis, whoever. But the audience is like, oh man, I love this movie. Yeah, but you know, man.
Speaker 3: We had this person right right right agreeing, and.
Speaker 2: They backed out, like how do you deal with knowing what could have been and still delivering what is?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll answer that, but but there's it's four movies, oh four, because it's also the movie.
Speaker 4: You go sell the movie, you promote.
Speaker 3: Oh, so that the.
Speaker 1: Process of putting the trailer together, in the messaging, that's another form of the movie. And sometimes you know you're tweaking the messaging and you're tweaking the sale of the film because you got to find the sweet spot of what's going to get people to see it.
Speaker 3: That is good.
Speaker 4: So there, I think you make the movie for it.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: So so to answer.
Speaker 1: Your question, to answer your question, you know again, this is where my faith plays a major role in my career. I have to trust that everything is exactly how God needs it to be. Everything is so, so if those people fell out and this is who has has come in, then I have to trust and.
Speaker 4: Say, well, then this is what was meant to be right, and then.
Speaker 1: I have to divorce myself from my vision.
Speaker 4: And embrace the vision that God has for the project.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 1: Okay, God allowed these people to fall out and these people are in. So okay, let me not get so caught up on Oh it was this, No this, I'm not.
Speaker 4: Worried about what this is what it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, great, this is good, so let me get excited about that. Let me make that the best version that it can be. It's different than how I originally imagined it, but different doesn't mean better or worse.
Speaker 4: It's just different.
Speaker 5: Devon you are.
Speaker 2: I've enjoyed every conversation I've ever had with you, but this one I'm gonna put is my pocket because it's really man, what's really helpful is just knowing you.
Speaker 3: Ain't alone and you ain't crazy.
Speaker 4: That's right, You're not you because you you.
Speaker 2: You know you're like, Man, I had it and now like every time it's this problem, that problem is just be Like I was telling producer of mine.
Speaker 3: He was like, well, I want production to go smooth, and I was like, brother, production.
Speaker 1: Is chaos by by definition, organized chaos you have and in your case you karate kid.
Speaker 3: For example, this is hundreds of people on this.
Speaker 2: There's no way it goes smoothly. All you can do is figure out how to make it work.
Speaker 4: Figure out how to make it work.
Speaker 3: You can't be nobody.
Speaker 2: It's never like everybody who did the thing is supposed to do the thing, and every camera worked and every location was perfect, and the budget was perfect.
Speaker 4: But that's but that's where creativity it really is.
Speaker 1: And then you gotta you gotta get you gotta get it, you know, have ingenuity, you gotta think creativity. Yeah, this is not working. Okay, how do we still get this? You know that light ain't working or the light is getting ready to lose to leave, and we got to get this shot. Yeah, okay, what can we do creatively? Maybe change even the story to make the setting work like that, To create the creative process is always a lie, yes, And I think sometimes you know, when we try to make it finite, then we become too rigid. So as problems arise in production, it's like, oh, Okay, it wasn't expecting that, all right, but let me pivot, Yes, let me pivot. And the pivot is gonna be great. And this is how we're gonna make it great. And this is how we're gonna make it work. And then if we got something and it didn't work out the way we wanted we shot, it's like, oh that looked didn't look good, Okay, then we gotta figure out how can we go get it again? Yes, you know, okay, what can we do? What can we lose?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: So it's just it's it's a fluid process, right, and it's a flexible process. And I think that what I've learned is the more flexible you can be, the more fluid you can be, the more you can actually embrace whatever comes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that. I was just thinking about that. On Churchy Season one, the script will written to have Toby we Way come in and wrap for the youth.
Speaker 3: Right, he couldn't make it. His kid got sick.
Speaker 2: He's an actual father in real life, so and we found out two days before he's not gonna be able to make He's like my kids sick. I can't do it, And we rewrote the script I was like, Okay, we can't get him.
Speaker 3: What can we do?
Speaker 2: Okay, now in the script Toby can't come, Maybe we have a Toby impersonator. And it actually ended up being better and funnier for the character and the story that what they wanted to happen couldn't happen. It was actually better to not have Toby. But you have to look at it as like, well, what do we have? This door is closed? What do I have? What's available to me? And I think that's honestly true creativity. Okay, I don't want to lose you. I want to talk about some of your not best moments, even though you've been talking about them. You mentioned to us that you one of your tough moments was losing your paramount production deal. Tell us what happened and kind of how you dealt with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, I So, when I was an executive, you know, for Sony Pictures for ten years, well about nine years from two thousand and five to twenty fourteen, I did a film as an executive called Heaven Is for Real, which came out in twenty fourteen. It was we made it for like fifteen fourteen, fifteen million dollars in opening weekend. It opened on Easter weekend. It made thirty million dollars in the first five days. Oh yeah, so it was a huge success. So two days after opening weekend, I'm in the chairman's office of Sony Pictures. Her name is Amy Pascal at the time, and I told her. She's like, oh, you know, we want to promote you, want to give you more money. You know this, this movie, Heaven Is for Real is going to be a you know, it's a big success. It's am I going to make a hundred million dollars. And I said, I'm quitting, you know, I said no, I said I'm quitting. I said, I said, I'm making too much money for y'all that I can't promit it. I said, but I said, I'm starting my company and I want you to fund it. I want you to give me a deal.
Speaker 3: She had no idea this was coming.
Speaker 4: She had no idea.
Speaker 3: Absolutely no, She's ready to promote you. You're like, let me hold hold on.
Speaker 4: That's right, promote this, promote this.
Speaker 3: My new company.
Speaker 4: I don't want y'all know exact I want me exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, And I still want to make movies for y'all. Choice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a bold choice. It was. It was a very bold choice.
Speaker 1: But but at that point in time, I knew that I had enough experience, enough expertise, and I also had success. Yeah track record, Yeah, I had this track record, and this movie was the basically the mission statement for the company. I want to make movies that are uplifting and inspirational. So she said, yes, we negotiated the deal. The first movie I made was Miracles from Heaven with Jennifer Garner.
Speaker 4: And Queen Latifa.
Speaker 1: And then there was a lot of turmoil at Sony at that time, and Amy ended up, you know, transitioning to be a producer, and so I moved my production deal to Fox. Got it, and I made a movie called Breakthrough with Chrissy Metz, and I also set up the movie Flaming Hunt that I eventually mad. While I was at Fox, the company he got sold to Disney. So once it was going to Disney, there was no space. They weren't they weren't going to take my deal. So basically, one other caveat, which is very important as a producer in Hollywood, a lot of times your viability is directly related to the deals that you have because when you have a deal with the studio.
Speaker 4: They pay your overhead, they allow you.
Speaker 1: You know, that means you can have money for staff and money to live on that's white while you're developing projects. So you know, having a deal as a producer is essential to credibility in my experience. Yes, so I moved my deal to Fox. Fox got sold to Sony and then right when that was happening, the Powers to be a Paramount. This was a twenty nineteen They called me and they're like, hey, you know, we really want to get into Faith.
Speaker 4: You know, we want to do a deal with you.
Speaker 1: Great, So we closed the deal like November of twenty nineteen, three year deal.
Speaker 4: What happened in March of twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: And people got sick. Everybody called the pandemic the whole world.
Speaker 4: Man, It's like, what's going on?
Speaker 1: So the pandemic basically took two years out of the deal where I couldn't do anything for.
Speaker 3: Paramoun because pandemic plus Ryder strike it was.
Speaker 4: Just it was man.
Speaker 1: So I went ahead and made Flame It Hot for Fox in twenty one. But when twenty two rolled around, I had not made a movie for Paramount, and even though I tried, I had development, I had projects there. None of the things went And then there were a lot of regime changes too. During the course of my deal. I think there were three different you know, presidents of production and one chairman was there, another chairman came in another, you know. It was just there was a lot of turnover during those period of time. But at the end of the of the deal, you know, I wanted to extend because I was like, look, I know I can make a movie for you guys. And they were like no, you know, They're like, no, we're gonna We're going in a different direction. Yeah, And I was like, wow, I said, you know, you don't really even you don't even have I said, to my knowledge, you don't have any producers you know, of color that you're working with, you know, and I even though I haven't made a movie for you yet, we're getting close on this or we can do that. And they were like no. So basically I was without a company, you know, I mean, not without a company, without a deal. Yeah, So what does that mean. That means I had to lay people off. Oh, it means I had to move out of my office space. Oh my god, bro, I'm telling you.
Speaker 4: Like it was like I had to start working with the kitchen table, yes.
Speaker 1: Sir, from your home, from the home, yes, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: And if you had seen my office space, I had a beautiful office over on in Century City, you know, overlooking the whole city. And then I moved that office to West Hollywood, right across from Soho House, overlooking you know, the Beverly Hills, and it was beautiful. And then when the deal left, I had to go home literally home, home, literally home, Oh my god. And then I sit there and say, okay, wow, well what well, Okay, I have no deal, I have no company. I mean I have no you know, staff, Yeah, myself, the company.
Speaker 4: What am I going to do here? What am I going to do?
Speaker 1: And one of the things that we talked about earlier is what really served me well, which was operating in the identity of the producer even before I was HM. Why that was important in that moment is that I could have said, oh man, I didn't produce nothing for Paramount. I'm not a good producer. You know, maybe I got to go in a different direction. But I was like, no, I know, I know who I am, I know what I can do. And I just said, God, you gotta do it. You got to you gotta show me what you want me to do. And here's what was so crazy. After I lose my deal, I think right around that time, Flaming Hot came out, you know, in Disney Plus and Hulu, and it was about the creator of Flaming Hot Cheetos. And the movie, you know, did did very well. And my agent at the time, you know, sent me on meeting after meeting, and nobody wanted to do it. Nobody even after oested the movie, even have sess to the movie. So I'm sitting there thinking like, Lord, I know I'm a producer, but lord, you know, I got to have a deal in order to produce.
Speaker 4: So I was like, okay, God, what are we gonna do here?
Speaker 1: I made this movie. The movie's really good. It has great critical acclaim, it's a commercial success. It won the Audience Awarded south by Southwest that year. Like it's a success, but people didn't there was nobody wanted to do a deal.
Speaker 4: So I just said, Okay, well, I'm gonna keep believing.
Speaker 1: And then, you know, and then at that time, I'm still preaching and doing other things, so I'm like all right, let me just keep creating and trust it one that this is all going to get sorted out.
Speaker 4: So long story, short, true story.
Speaker 1: My agent sets a meeting of breakfast for me with Scott Stuber and at the time, you know, Scott Stuber is like a legendary Hollywood studio executive and now he's a producer, but at the time he ran Netflix film production.
Speaker 4: And so we have breakfast. The meeting goes.
Speaker 1: Great, and he's like, oh, yeah, you know, I really want to, you know, do this, do a deal something, you know, let's talk about it.
Speaker 4: And so I was like cool.
Speaker 1: So I was waiting, you know, he and my my agent, we're talking and anyway, nothing.
Speaker 4: I hadn't heard anything. Let me put it that way.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm sitting at home like, okay, god, what are we gonna do? And my phone rings and it's Tyler Tyler Perry and he's like, hey, man, I hear you're doing a deal with Netflix.
Speaker 3: I'm like, no, I ain't no way, that's serious. That's serious, for real, for real. You don't know none of this.
Speaker 4: I don't know none of this.
Speaker 3: You're just watching this right right, who's doing the right me?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: So you talked to Scott. He's like, yeah, as he said, but why don't we do it together? And I'm like, absolutely, let's do it together. Let's do it together. And he and I you know, went to Netflix, closed the deal and the first movie was Get Back in the Office. No, here's what I learned. Here's what I learned. I learned that I don't need all of that to give me the security in my identity.
Speaker 3: That is good, Devon.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I don't need it. I don't need it.
Speaker 1: I'm more profitable being lean and because I'm the one that's you know, creating and producing and putting it all together. So it's like, no, I know, let me not just go back into all that. No, let me stay like this and let me let if that's what God wants, he will begin to rebuild it in that way. Yeah, but no, man, I literally still work from the home.
Speaker 2: You know, my God, this episode on me gotta come out. I could watch this myself. It's so that is so good. Because I had my sound stage that was tied to the app. We had a five year lease and in that time, people think I'm crazy because I was like, I'm gonna take down Netflix.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you know. Netflix is just as viable and out as it ever worked.
Speaker 2: But in my mind, I'm gonna take you down, or y'all gonna absorb me and give me a hundred million dollars.
Speaker 3: They didn't give me a dime.
Speaker 2: But I had to let that studio go because business wise it didn't make sense. It was cool, there was currency, there was credibility, but at the same time, there was a tremendous overhead and I had to lay people off and for me, lame people. And I know this is probably the same for you. Laying people off is not ever a good feeling.
Speaker 4: Ever.
Speaker 2: Taking somebody's livelihood away, even though you're not the reason they don't have it, you feel personally responsible. I don't enjoy firing people. I don't enjoy laying people off. I don't I've been fired and I've been laid off. I assume everybody's like me. We all got bills, kid, somebody depending on you, Like I don't take that lightly, but sometimes you still have to do it. Hey, guys, taking a quick commercial break, We'll be right back. This industry will also make you feel like.
Speaker 3: There's certain things you gotta do to make it.
Speaker 2: I love that you decided that something that hurts you at a moment you decided later on, I actually don't even.
Speaker 3: Need that to operate.
Speaker 2: Don't need it because it's it's better for me, it's better for business, and it doesn't define me, and.
Speaker 1: It doesn't define me, man, because at the end of the day, like and again, if God, you know, wants it to be that again, then you know, I'll embrace that. But at the time when I had you know, the great office and the staff and all the things. Man, it's it's a lot, and you know, it's a lot to manage. It's pressure to pressure, and it's so I just like the idea of like God was like, no, we're gonna We're gonna build, take it all the way down, you know, and and allow us to get back to what this is about with is making stories that can impact people in a positive way. And every when we talked about, you know, taking fourteen years to get the company and all the things that every day that I spent working on someone else's movie was actually preparation for me to be able to do my movies.
Speaker 6: God today so so so now like I know every aspect of everyone's job in the best way, you know, Like I know, like like I know, like, oh, okay, I know what this executive is thinking.
Speaker 1: I know how I need to give them comfort as it relates to this. I know I need to like pull back on this. I know how, like because I'm experienced and all the things helped me manage it.
Speaker 4: So now you know, I've made three movies in what year and a half.
Speaker 1: It's it took me. It took me ten years, ten years to make three live action movies. Wow, And I've made three in like the past eighteen months. And I got two more that we're working on. But that's also where we have to believe what we say we believe. Yeah, if we truly trust God, we have to submit all of it and let him do what only he can do when he's ready to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's not, he's not subject to our timeline.
Speaker 3: He got the whole world.
Speaker 5: He's got it.
Speaker 4: He's got it.
Speaker 1: And and and one of the areas where I've you know, found my own self inflicted frustration is what I'm trying to tell him.
Speaker 3: Listen, God mean divine right, I kind of need it right.
Speaker 2: And it's always we always rushing, always we are never mare like God, take your take your time, hey brother, the bills coming on the.
Speaker 4: First ever prayed that prayer, God take your time.
Speaker 3: Never we only rushing God. They ain't never like God, develop me, develop.
Speaker 2: Me, Hey brother, you don't see the bills doing on the first they ask for the morgage a kid.
Speaker 3: I want to be clear real quick. I want to just clarify something.
Speaker 2: That three year period of that Paramount deal, did you get any movie done?
Speaker 1: The only movie that I made was for Fox during that period, so flame it.
Speaker 4: During that period.
Speaker 3: So nothing actually think for Paramount.
Speaker 1: And so mind you you know they're giving me all this money to run the company, but the way that they get that money back is.
Speaker 4: Through movies being made. Yeah, and so in essence, you know, they give me this money.
Speaker 2: And nothing ever came to fruition for them. Now, did you ever feel any sense of like guilty disappointment that this like you weren't able to deliver anything for them, or were you just like it is what it is.
Speaker 1: I didn't feel guilty. I felt disappointed, you know, because I always liked to deliver. I'm committed to that. Yeah, But I also was able to look at all of the factors that were out of my control.
Speaker 2: Right, pandemic youn Franklin, ain't starting no.
Speaker 3: COVID, you know strike you know, I mean, ain't.
Speaker 2: Nobody said it's divine while we ain't got no why the people.
Speaker 4: Wearing masks right right, it's my fall, it's my father, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: No, I mean so so I could, I could look at all of the circumstances and all the factors and say, you know, I did the best that I could. And I also understand, you know, their decision. I didn't like it at the time, but I understood it. But here's the other part that was it was a blessing.
Speaker 3: You really feel that way.
Speaker 1: Here's why it was a blessing because I needed to get out of all of that.
Speaker 4: I God, God was like.
Speaker 1: Look, you're you're building this this as as it's almost like an idol. You're building this idol, this company, this beautiful building, these people, and then you're starting to make decisions about how to maintain this instead of decisions of how you do what I called you to do. Right, So God almost like, look, I gotta rescue you. I gotta get you out of them.
Speaker 3: The rescue was shutting it shutting it down what you thought you wanted.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: God said, uh, uh, okay, you did that. You did it your way. Now we're gonna do it my way. Want any of that to be who I've called you to be. You're going to be more productive without any of it. From your kitchen, from my kitchen. When I'm not on set, I am at the house working.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: And so so it was a blessing. In the moment. I was upset, I was disappointed.
Speaker 1: I was wondering what I was going to do financially, you know, I was like, oh, my goodness, you know, I'm not going to have the right money. I'm not gonna be able to do all these things. So I felt I felt it. It wasn't like an easy thing at was. But when I look back, it was like God was saving me. He was like, no, we got to rebuild this. We gotta because you're because you know, we're we're driven, were and we and we care you know, and this, and it's like once we start getting success, then it's like, oh, I wanted this and I want that, and there's nothing wrong with all of that. But for me personally, what began to happen is that. You know, my decision making was in part about this maintenance and and well, how do I build this company and all this stuff? And it's like who cares when I go? The company is gone? Yeah, but what will stay? The stories?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The movies shows what God put me, the stories God put within me to tell. Yeah, those are eterns of God's Like, look, let's get back to basics.
Speaker 4: That's what this is about.
Speaker 1: I'm put you in this business to tell stories that no one else can tell but you, because there are people in this earth, my children, that need what you do.
Speaker 3: I kind of want to cry.
Speaker 2: I'm not even choking. I have one more question, so I don't cry. I'm switching gears because I want you, the Lord speaking through you to me. I hope y'all get anything from this, but if you don't, sucks for you.
Speaker 3: It really does.
Speaker 2: I'm having a personal blast. I'm curious when you are just Devarn Franklin the actor, are you relieved to just be in your tailor?
Speaker 4: I sure, am? I am so really?
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, I ain't got to worry about no budget, I ain't got to worry about who's on time and who's late.
Speaker 4: What time you want me on set no problem trailer. Oh I love it. I love that. Listen.
Speaker 1: That is one of the greatest blessings that God has given me is the ability to act and the opportunity to act, because it just man, boy, it takes the stress off.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, this is good. Where do you want me staying right here? Okay? I got it, Okay, I learned my line. I'm ready to go.
Speaker 2: I know it because it's for me. I remember when the set of Church in the first season. I remember having to act, and I remember this one time the producer, the line producer I hired.
Speaker 3: Chose to save money. He chose to get turkey raps from Costco for lunch. He just had two big tubs like you would get for a and lunch. Lunch was late.
Speaker 2: First of all, it was late, and you know you're getting going to grace you got so we already got a meal penalty.
Speaker 3: So these people are.
Speaker 2: Like great people are happy about meal penalties. Count the heads. And then not only was it late, he chose cold turkey raps and I said, for the lunch for everybody on set.
Speaker 4: Fine lunch.
Speaker 2: I said, no, brother, you can't do that. These people have been here since six am. You can't feed nobody mayonnaise, no encrusted raps from cop That is a corporate that is an addition to whatever we have.
Speaker 3: That can't be the thing I ate.
Speaker 2: Today was cold, and I remember I just did a little movie, just a little day player role brother. They said, your call time is eleven thirty. I said, whatever, eleven thirty. I went at breakfast. They bring my clothes to me. I shot my little scene and went home. I seen the production office that was arguing. I said, have a great day. God see later.
Speaker 3: That ain't my problem, because often problem.
Speaker 2: I got to figure out these people are beefing, lunch is late, this actor is sick, but on that day, and I know y'all dealing with it, and God, bless y'all, bless it.
Speaker 3: I'm gone.
Speaker 4: I just was curious. I love it. Yes, it's wonderful.
Speaker 1: It's a great I love the opportunity to do both this. It helps me with my mental health. Okay, it is hard, for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, before we let you go tell people what they can watch that you've worked on, or what you're working on, or where they can follow you.
Speaker 3: All the things you said in the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So you can watch my my latest films, Relationship Goals with Kelly Rowland method Man on Prime Video.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: You can also watch Ruth and Boaz on Netflix with Sorea and Tyler Lepley, who just won the NAA was their award.
Speaker 4: I was holding you know, that's of course, great job. You know that out there. I was like, okay, come on, man, Tom Brown.
Speaker 3: They didn't fit all the way. I couldn't close it.
Speaker 4: But it nothing good.
Speaker 3: You know, the ribbon was a lot.
Speaker 4: I took a risk, but that's like you gotta do it.
Speaker 3: You gotta do it.
Speaker 4: So Ruth de Boaz and that also starts Felisha Rashad.
Speaker 1: I have an audible book, a new audio book on Audible called Be True. It's the audio recording of my one man show that I did last year New York.
Speaker 4: And you know, I'm really really proud of that.
Speaker 3: What was that?
Speaker 1: Like, man, it was it was the most terrifying thing I've ever done. Really, it's just me on stage, that's it.
Speaker 4: And I'm not preaching. This is the performance.
Speaker 1: I you know, produce, it, directed all of the things, and so you know, it's one thing when you're acting and you have other people in the scene, or you know, the director can yell cut, let's do that again.
Speaker 4: When you get a show, you just gotta go.
Speaker 1: So you know, it was the craziest thing I've ever done, and it was also one of the most rewarding things that I've done.
Speaker 4: You know, I really really enjoyed that.
Speaker 1: And you know, and I'm working on a bunch of other stuff. I have a moved with Taraji coming out this year on Netflix. We're getting ready to announce that day pretty soon. It's another inspiration true story.
Speaker 4: Man. This movie, Oh.
Speaker 1: Man, this movie is going to it's gonna be. I think it's gonna be the inspirational movie the holiday season. I think, really, oh yeah, I think it's that good.
Speaker 4: I think it's that good.
Speaker 3: You already selling it. I am selling good, ladies, gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Davon Franklin personal mentor of mind. He not directly. And also, I want to say this, somebody got to personally mentor you. To be a mentor, you follow them, watch them, watch what they do, read their books, follow their history. You don't got to text them and call them for them to be a mentor. They can mentor you by the way they live their life. I want you to know that, so y'all can stop being me. Hey man, please watch his movies, read his book, enjoy his work, and check out his movies when they are coming. God bless you, Davon Franklin, y'all, my brother, thanks for having me. This has been a Unanimous Media original. Not My Best Mama was produced by iHeart Pop and Unanimous Media. It was hosted by me Kevin Fredericks. Executive produced by Stephen Curry, Eric Payden and Charlotte Sumter Vigette. Co executive producer Klena Maria Cutney. The executive producers of the iHeart Podcasts are Sean Titone and Jason English. This series was produced by Peter Calter and Jabari Davis. Co producer Kurt Redman. Special thanks to Stephen Curry and Will Pearson. Not My Best Moment as a production of Unanimous Media and iHeart Podcasts. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.