Speaker 1: Welcome into the Official Jets Podcast.
Speaker 2: I eat, breathe, and sleep, you know, the New York Jets, my team and my teammates, like that's that's my life.
Speaker 3: He knows what it means to wear the green and white.
Speaker 4: That is a tightrope walk across Niagara Fall.
Speaker 3: That's hard to do.
Speaker 5: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott, the jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good. Shop Game Day Ready, jewelry styles and so much more at kendrascott dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome into the Official Jets Podcast. We are presented by Kendra Scott. It is the dawn of a new day as we bring in Lejay Dousable and Bart Scott. Aaron Glenn, the twenty second head coach in franchise history.
Speaker 6: Your thoughts starting with you, Bart.
Speaker 4: I mean welcome home.
Speaker 2: First of all, to Aaron Glenn, I thought that this was a good hire. You talk about what staff he can put together, but you talk about a guy that got you know, blood and soil. God has been here, played here, understands not only the fan base, he understands, you know, the pain that they that they had to deal with over the last couple of years, so it's personal to him, much like the situation was in Detroit with Dan Campbell, which gives him, I think an added advantage because as he speaks to the players in the team, you know he can he can echo those sentiments about how hard that he wants to play for the fan base and win for the fan base because it matters to him because he's been on both sides as a scout, as a player. You know the magic that they had with Bill Beller, Bill Parcells back in the day. He was part of that that that glory time as well, and it'd be exciting to see what has he learned in his journeys. He's been surround himself around some great coaches, some great coaching staff, whether Sean Payton rather than Dan Campbell, and he's seen, you know, different perspectives in different ways to to build a team. And I'm just excited to hear you know more about who he plans on bringing with him, as he probably competes with his former friend and Ben Johnson for staffing.
Speaker 1: Lejay, you circled AG's name from the get go when the Jets began their search for a head coach.
Speaker 3: Why I think to echo what Bart said. I think we needed somebody in the building that knows what it means to wear the Green and White and not just wear it, to like bleed it, to live it right. And that's what Aaron Glenn has done for the Green and White. If I'm not mistaken, maybe you and Bark could help me out. When you walk in on the front office side, on one desk drive and you go up the stairs, isn't there a big picture of Aaron Glynn there?
Speaker 1: Ag is throughout this building. Man, He's one of the best Jets who've ever played.
Speaker 3: Whoever was so correct, So again, it kind of feeds into the fact what Bart talked about. A guy that has been a New York Jet right, who's bled green and white, and I think that will resonate right with the rest of the players. You saw what happened in Detroit with Dan Campbell, a guy that played for the Detroit Lions, a guy that was a former player. Guys can relate to a guy like that because he knows what it takes to get to the pinnacle, to be a top player in the NFL. And that's what Aaron Glynn does. Before Derel revis it was Aaron Glynn that was the corner that everybody looked up to for the New York Jets, right. So I think this was a spot that he touted because it is a homecoming for him, and I think that'll go a long way into the locker room buying, into buying into what his vision is for this team. I think he's also a culture changer. I go back to the Hard Knocks episode when Dan Campbell had Aaron Glynn speak in front of everybody. It wasn't just the players, it was the coaches, in the front office people as well. And I've never seen a room more engage, which lets you know he can command the room, which lets you know he's a leader of men. I've taught to numerous people that have played and worked under Aaron Glynn and worked with him, and everybody's had a glow in admiration for who Aaron Glynn is as a leader, right, And I think it's the most important thing. And Bart brought up a really good point because, yes, to just Haven an officially named a GM, but he has a background of scouting as well, so he's gonna be able to help out on the personnel side in regards to bringing in the right personnel into one's jets drive. So again we'll see what established like to Bart's point, because that's just as important as bringing the right head coach, in bringing the right staff into to develop the players that's on the roster. But home run hit. I love it because he's not only an ex player, but he's an ex Jet and he knows what it means to wear the green and white.
Speaker 1: Bart, you play here, what do you think about that narrative that here's a former first round pick, a guy who's got twenty four interceptions forty one career interceptions as a player, and then he comes back on the scouting side, works in the personnel department on the pro and the college side in twelve and thirteen, and now he returns his first gig as a head coach, comes back here. Everything coming full circle for Aaron Lutt.
Speaker 2: Well, like I said, sometimes, you know, I kind of go back to this thing that Bernard Hopkins used to tell me, what's made will last longer than what's born. Right, and you talk about you know where did he get you know, how do he arise to this point? Well, it was with hard work, and you know, I remember listening to him. On my radio show, we played a clip of him on the Pivot talking about how he wanted to start from the bottom. He didn't want to have to skip any steps because he wanted to know when he got the opportunity that he'd be prepared for. And being on every aspect of it means that he can speak to it, and he understands the process, and he can understand where the process can maybe be better if it's not there because he has firsthand experience and knowledge about those experiences. So that's what I like about the fact that, you know, he's a guy that wasn't an overnight sensation, uh success story as far as in the coaching realms. He kind of paid his dues and he's earned every every rite that he's gotten. And this was the right time, you know, talk about you know, being on the stage. Everybody knew that the Lions were going to have a spotlight on him coming off of the season that they had to year before, and he didn't underwhelm. You know, you talked about he did the best of what he had and even if you go to the playoff game, we had moments Brown on the show as well, and he just spoke to the injuries and the importance of you know what he was dealing with, because I wanted people to hear from moments, who's a lion who caused their games to talk about, you know, the adversity that he had to deal with losing I forget the corner's name the first play of the game, and then losing Yeah Robinson, and then losing the other player to a hamstring after he already had eighteen injuries. You know, they weren't all defensively, but he kept continue to find ways, and that's what being a coach in football is all about, Like, don't tell me who I have and what I have, you know, you know, don't tell me what I don't have, tell me what I do have, and I'll find a way to coach around it. And he did an excellent job in coaching around it. It wasn't his day, unfortunately, but he showed that you know, adversity, when adversity hits, he doesn't blink.
Speaker 4: He still had guy's prepared.
Speaker 2: He still was able to go, You'll beat the fourteen in two Minnesota vikings, and he was trying his best to try and find a way to patch that defense up together. That's football, and especially if they're going to go to an eighteen game season. I need somebody that can coach whoever they have and be able to put it together.
Speaker 1: How much will that most recent experience, dudes help him. He was a defensive coordinator under Dan Campbell there with the Lions.
Speaker 6: For four years. That group started three thirteen and one.
Speaker 1: They were one in six in that second year, and they stuck to the process. They win two consecutive NFC North Crowns, They win four playoff games, they advanced the n C Championship Game found the twenty twenty three twenty four season, and Bart just talked about how they were decimated with injuries and still with that being said, they won fifteen games, fifteen games in Detroit this season.
Speaker 3: I think it speaks value how he was able to get players to still buy and even dealing with that type of adversity, right, because when you go three thirteen and one, a lot of guys would pack it up, right, and then the next season you start one in five, one and six, and Bart, you know this because you played a long time, like it could be a snowball effect, like here we go again, right, But they kept everybody together, and you talked about a ea like they were decimated on that side of the ball. And this was the first year on that team where ag actually got the personnel that kind of fit his mole, right, because let's not forget right. They brought in a Meet Robinson. He was with the Raiders last year, right. Carlton Davis was a guy that was with the Bucks and they traded for him. And when he actually had all his guys, they were a top five defense, Bartney A like people tend to forget that, And even when Aiden Hudgerson went down for like the next three or four weeks, they were still a top five defense and one of the most opportunistic defenses in all of football. I go back to that San Francisco game where they were decimated with injuries, and yet Kirby Joseph still gets two interceptions and sways the game in their favor. Yes, they get a ton of yards, but you know this, bart if you can turn the other team over with the type of offense that the Lions have, you got a good chance to win the game. And you talked about how Meet Robinson stood toe to toe with Justin Jefferson. You don't think that confidence came from a guy like ag who was undersized, just like a Meek Robinson who probably gave him some confidence going into this game and saying, hey, they doubted me too. They didn't think I could do it at a high level because I was undersized. And a Meet Robinson kind of reminds me of Aaron.
Speaker 7: Glynn because the tenacity and the grit that he plays with reminds me of what Aaron Glenn had to go through when he was at corner because he was an undersized corner. So I think it just speaks value to the leadership that Aaron Glynn had. You guys talked about at nauseum, the injuries they dealt with on the defensive side of the ball and whether it was a guy coming off the street.
Speaker 3: He got them all to buy in right now. Again, they gave up a ton of yards, but that's what is expected and bart you know this as a defense, a lot of it comes down to communication. And people were wondering why didn't Aaron Glenn kind of change up his philosophy. Well, the thing is, when you're getting your four fifth, sixth corner and safety in the game and they haven't had repped with the starters. Communication is key. If you go zone coverage and somebody's like communicating, you get a guy wide open. Well, in man coverage, there is no excuse. You know who you've got. So he was trying to make it as easy as possible and adjust to the personnelity he had. So I think it speaks values to that that those guys still laid it on the line for him even though they dealt with all that adversity and the injuries.
Speaker 1: How about the program see Spinander Fellas. When you go back to his playing days, I would make the argument that Bill Parcells is the best program builder in the history of the.
Speaker 6: National Football League. He started that turn here with the Jets.
Speaker 1: But then you move on and say, okay, he worked in New Orleans. Him and Campbell were on the staff under Sean Payton, and we know the success they had in New Orleans, of course, and then finally he goes with Dan Campbell in Detroit and we are all able to turn that culture around.
Speaker 2: Bart Well, you know, it just goes to show that you know he was taught, well, he's taught different philosophy. I'm sure he learned something from every coach that he was around. I mean, and to have a friend that you coached with kind of get the first opportunity, but for him to believe that, hey, I want my success to be your success, and I trust you because I've been in the foxhole with you, to brank him to Detroit, even when early on when they weren't having a success because they didn't have the personnel, it was calls to fire Aaron Glynn. The fact that he weathered that storm and on the other side of that was two NFC championships within two years turning that program around. You know, people talk about, you know fan bases that are star for a winner. Well, listen, it's hard pressed for me to find any fan base that was more hard pressed for a winning product than the Detroit Lions. Being from Detroit and seeing the firsthand, I've never seen anything such things once or twice underneath Barry Sanders. After that, you got to go to Alex Carrits and go back to Webster to figure out when the last time the Lions had any type of success. You know, look to Aaron Glenn. I'm excited to see what he's learned. He has to make it his own, I'm sure he'll understand, he'll find his footing. I hear that he wants to bring in a defensive minded defensive coordinator that has head coaching experience. You know, that could be one of many people. I'm not going to speculate, you know, but that can be one of many people that could be important for him to understand the nuance of, you know, the administrative stuff that you have to figure out as a defense as a defensive minded coach that is now becoming a head coach and not just coaching one side of the ball.
Speaker 1: Can you talk about, dudes, his connection that he's had with players, because I think people will say that Aaron Glenn is a player's coach, but when you hear players speak, they talk about him demanding accountability and discipline and knows our trade marks of Aaron Glenn coordinated units or position groups and now of the opportunity to oversee the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you see it in many clips when he's one one just talking to players about their process and getting ready for work and how they go about their business. Like he demands that you're locked into your job day in and day out, And I think that's something that is going to be needed in this just locker room demand that you be at your best at all time when your best is required. Right, Because again Aaron Glenn, with the mindset that he has smaller corner, Right, I had to be more detailed than the guy next to me. Right, I had to be more feisty and aggressive and physical the guy that I was going up against, because measurable wise, I wasn't maybe at the stature of that guy. So I had to either I was smarter them, I'll think him or our physical like that is his mindset. So I think that's something that's going to really resonate within this locker room and something that needs to change for the culture in the Jets locker room as well. That's something that Aaron Glenn will will try to set a president on day one.
Speaker 1: What do you think are some of those first steps that dudes is talking about you mentioned and this is huge ag assembling a staff there bart And I know he's already hard at work taking care of that right now. But in addition to getting that staff set, what does he have to do, what are some of its first steps?
Speaker 2: His first steps is going to first be I mean as a coach or as you know, continue to build his staff.
Speaker 4: Building his staff is what he had to work on first. Then secondly it's about getting together with the general manager.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know if it's been a general manager that has been higher yet, but figuring out what's going to be the game plan. You know, we we can expeculate who we think is going to be, but until it's on paper, pin the paper, then we can't, you know, go that route. But you know, the first decision he's going to have to make as far as personnel wise, you know, being a form of Scott is going to be does he want to be with Aaron Rodgers or does Aaron Rodgers stay here? Because you feel like if Aaron Rodgers isn't going to be here, to the mean's Debonte.
Speaker 4: Adam's probably not going to be here. You know, you heard him.
Speaker 2: He's in Kay Adams show a little bit that hey, maybe he'd like to play in Washington if if it doesn't work out with the Jets, and you know, everybody's kind of you know, my agree reading to the fact that Jade dames A is a exceptional talent ahead of schedule and you know that's that's reasonable there, But he has to figure out the personnel then figure out, you know, what they're gonna do with the draft pick. That's where the scouting, uh the park comes out. You know, mel Chi Brad his first mock draft out. I didn't like it, you know, Uh, I don't like where he decided.
Speaker 6: They don't call him the man back and for no reason.
Speaker 4: But outside linebacker from Georgia, which pass rusher.
Speaker 3: Was making Michael Williams or Jalen.
Speaker 4: I think that mikeel Wade, I believe.
Speaker 2: It makes no sense if you're going to have Sherwood and and Williams and the inside. I mean, if that's the case, I'd rather go Tywarn or go right tackle from from Texas or you know, you go or you State, or you go, or you go safety from from Georgia, or you go cornerback from Michigan. If you think you're gonna lose DJ Reed, I don't think you go past Rusher in the position that's supposed to be a strength. You think Jermaine Johnson coming back and Will McDonald proven that he can be a double digit sack guy. You got two different type of guys that do that. If you can't get Graham in the middle because he had Jacksonville or somebody taking them. Yeah, I mean, which makes sense with Jacksonville as well.
Speaker 5: The Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott, the jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good shop, game Day Ready, Jewelry Styles and so much more at kendrascott dot com.
Speaker 6: Man, this is so unique.
Speaker 1: How cool of historians is to is let me think about this guy coming back and what this is gonna mean to him.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: To Bart's point, how much do you think it matters that you got a guy who actually says, you know what, I consider myself a Jet. I've always been a Jet, and I'm coming back to the place where it started again.
Speaker 6: I'm reiterating by saying full circle.
Speaker 1: But I thought it was very imperative in this process that the Jets got somebody who embraced all of it.
Speaker 3: I think it's something to be said that the Jets were the first place he visited, because I would say, besides Ben Johnson, he was the hottest coaching candidate out there right, and he could have visited any team first. I know he was scheduled to go to the New Orleans Saints, where he's been a defensive coach as there as well. But I think it's something to be said that he chose the Jets to be his first visit, and that lets you know what it meant to him to be a Jet, for him to come home, right, you said in the full circle moment, And that's exactly what it is for Aaron Glenn. And that's why I touted him to be my top guy, you know, a while ago, because I think we needed somebody that knows what it means to wear the green and white and not just wear it, to live what it needs to be a New York Jet. So I love this. Getting back to what Bart was saying, I think it will be important when it comes to his staff. You've seen a lot of first time head coaches, particularly get somebody on the defense, the officer side, that was a former head coach, and I think that goes a long way in your development as a new head coach, because you want somebody that's done it before, somebody that you can lean on. I know we're not speculating anything, but I've heard Steve Wook's name come out there a little bit, and I thought he got a bad straw with Arizona Carginals. I love what I saw from him when he was the interm head coach at the Carolina Panthers. He had those guys believing and they had a talent deficient roster, but they were winning at the end of the year with Steve Wooks Like he's a guy that guys love to play for. And now I know there were some issues in San Francisco and they went to the Super Bowl with him as defensive coinator, and then he was let go the following year. But from everybody I heard, I think he would be a home run higher by Aaron Glenn just because you want somebody that's done it before, right, somebody that you can lean on as a former head coach. I think that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know if it happen.
Speaker 2: If we were on a podcast and it's a Jet podcast, Let's get a fans what they want.
Speaker 4: Cole cok plan.
Speaker 2: If you think about a former head coach, you know, you think about Rex Ryan, you know, I mean you talk about how crazy that.
Speaker 3: I mean, that makes a lot of sense too, if he came if he.
Speaker 4: Came back full circle.
Speaker 2: I know people have speculating, say, oh well maybe Rex wouldn't do that. I know he interviewed for Dallas and maybe just be a little bit too personal for him to come back and when he interviewed for the job here.
Speaker 4: But you know we did watch Van's Joseph do it. But I've just been.
Speaker 2: Hoping for this team for a long time that somebody can turn his team into a three four team. So I'm ristening for somebody who's special, she's a three four team because I would love to see, you know, Quinnen as a five technique and then also pair him with Graham and just find whoever's the fattest dude that's out there and pluck him right in the middle. So maybe maybe maybe tell Peers for the Ravens, hey man, no retire, just come bring your fatass here and just sitting in the.
Speaker 3: I mean to your point, to your point, Rex and Steve Wilkes won a three fourth system and Aaron Glynn does too. I said to you three yeah, yeah, yeah, you know that's what he runs. It would makes sense like he went to the four to three when he went to Shanahan and then but that's not is style by nature three for.
Speaker 2: It, Okay, So that's perfect for me because I would love McDonald and and Johnson to kind of to be the edge guys. Yeah, that way, you're gonna get five on five right against you. Talking about pass rushing and taking advantage of the personnel.
Speaker 3: You can't and wants to do anyway.
Speaker 2: So you really you really can't double Quinn if he's outside the guard and he got into somebody rushing outside and you can't double him that way. So that's that's one on ones that allow him to take advantage of the of the personnel. Like I said, the grand kids can can can stop the run and anchor, but also be a guy that can you know, a guy that can pass rush to a convert. So I mean, so that that's what that's what you know, my wish, my wish list is that you know that you were able to do something like that and you know, go get a guy like jyr Alexander or something like that, you know what I mean, bring him all over, you know.
Speaker 4: So I'm who wish I'm wish for thinking.
Speaker 3: Right now, you know what I mean. But that's just really think.
Speaker 4: That's what I hope, hopeful, hopeful a fat dude.
Speaker 3: It's hard to find.
Speaker 6: But for a fact, dude for a long time.
Speaker 4: Bad dudes talking about bad news are important.
Speaker 2: Man. I think you need somebody that can eat up too, right without athleticism.
Speaker 1: Thirty thousand foot view. Do you think, and we're gonna hear from ag here in the next day or so or maybe next week. News just broke today here on January twenty second, that he'd agreed and principal will become the New York Jets twenty second head coach.
Speaker 6: Do you think, ultimately see all type.
Speaker 1: When you're looking at this, that he's not going to be the guy calling defensive plays?
Speaker 6: What do you think this?
Speaker 3: So that's that's the question mark, right, And it's always a conundrum, right because I go around and look at the lead. The Mika Ryans is a guy that was a defensive coordinator in San France. He's the head coach for the Texans and he still calls plays. Sean McDermott call plays, then gave the duty up, then got it back, then gave it up again. I think as a first time head coach, you should let somebody else call the plays right now. If you feel like you need to step in, then you have to do that. But if you do hire a guy like Rex Ryan. You do hire a guy like Steve Wilks. These are guys that have been top defensive coordinators and head coaches, so you can lean on them, right, because there's so much and bar you know this, and yeah you know this as well. There's so much that you have to endure as a head coach. There's so much that you have to worry about. Like again, the mik O Ryans does it. A few other coaches. There's a lot of guys on the offensive side that do that, and they really just trust their defensive coinator. So it's not the same, but I think it's a lot as a defensive minded coach to bring the morenator and still have your handprint on the offense. I think he would have to relinquish those play calling duties, especially if he gets a guy that has head coaching experience that's a defensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would think as a defensive as a defensive minded former head coach, I don't think they would take that job if they can't run their system, if they're going to be micro managed, Like if he was just getting a guy that was maybe the line back acker coach over there, when I talked to Lomans. That's who they probably predict it's going to be the defensive coordinator to replace Aaron Glenn because he's a fantastic over there.
Speaker 8: Then if you were backing about Tavia Shephard, Yeah, yeah, so if you're if you were breaking him over, then maybe then maybe you were re linking that. But you know, if you're a head coach, I'm here to be and he probably you probably to lure one of those guys over, you probably have to make them an assistant head coach as well to make sure that it just works and makes it worse there while it allows you to pay them a little bit more money.
Speaker 4: I mean where Rex came.
Speaker 2: Over, you know, he he he would have effects on it on the game plan and stuff like that, but it really was Mike Petty making the call.
Speaker 4: So you have to be able to deal with that, all right, So let's.
Speaker 1: Get out of here with this A lot of questions ahead. You talked about the staff, We've been throwing some names out there. You guys, uh well informed there, and then the quarterback question and then also the Jets have to fill their GM spot. But this is an exciting day, right, A step forward to begin the offseason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, without a doubt. Right, you hire a new coach, a guy that was in the building that wore the green and white. I think this is an exciting day for Jet Nation to your point, eaight right, Usually when you hire a new coach and the GM jobs available, you kind of want them to be in step together. So again, I know we're not in the hypothetical war, but I've heard Lance Newmark makes a lot of sense for the New York Jets. He's a guy that worked with Aaron Glynn at the Detroit Lions. And you got to think about it, Bart, you talked about a year from Detroit last. Newmark was there through it all. He's been there for twenty years when they were at the bottom of the barrel, when they were at the top of the top. So he knows how to build it up the right way. And then he goes to the commanders and then one year becomes the number two behind Adam Peters and they flipped that roster round and look at them during the NFC Championship game. So I just think that parallel makes way too much sense. What do you talk about potentially pairing Lance Newmark and Eron Glenn. I think first and foremost that needs to be done the GMS. That way they can get in there because Singer Bowl is right around the corner, right east west is this week. I know the Jets would like to have somebody in place so they can start building a game plan for what the future looks like for the Jets.
Speaker 6: How many career interceptions did you guys having an NFL?
Speaker 4: I have none, I probably have four. I've probably got four.
Speaker 6: You have four. I got a double check on that. Hey, G's got you by a couple forty couple.
Speaker 4: For more concussions.
Speaker 1: Only two one hundred yard returns in Jets history. I mean he's the only guy who's got two one hundred yard returns, also a scout, and he's now the twenty second take coach in franchise history.
Speaker 6: Thanks Ball, it's good scene to stay warm.
Speaker 3: I love Yeah,