Speaker 1: I'm Tari's Maxie and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 1: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation Law Firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell.
Speaker 2: You're Still Philadelphia. Seventy six Ers postgame Show presented by Parks Casino.
Speaker 3: Maxie, Double Oh Baby, Love Pad, Job to Beat on the Back, Dunn Against Weapon, You're New Power Files.
Speaker 2: Flabs of the seventy six Ers postgame show right now on ninety seven to five The Fanatic.
Speaker 1: Back in Philadelphia with the Parks Casino post game show after a Sixers loss to the Nets one oh five to one oh three. They're seventeen point comeback not completed well. They went ahead late and with the game tied at one oh three. If you were with us, put back for Nick Claxton that beat the buzzer on an offensive rebound using the glass just in front of us in the nearer left corner, kind of went from right block to left block. Put it home and the Nets win one oh five one oh three. The Sixers have lost seven straight, including their first two out of the All Star Break. Matt Murphy with you. I'll be joined by Tom McGinnis. We'll hear from Nick Nurse. The Sixers coach Cam Johnson led the Nets with twenty three points. Tyrese Maxey led all scorers in this one with thirty one. He had some clutch threes late, made five in the game and the Nets they set up a pick and roll play and then it was passed out from Watford to Keon Johnson, who missed a three, but there was just enough time. Tenths of a second remaining when Claxton released it. He had a game high nine rebounds, none bigger than that one, three on the offensive glass, sixteen points, nine rebounds, five blocked shots for Claxton. They had six players in double figures. The Sixers had all five starters in double figures, led by Maxi. They shot only forty two percent to the nets fifty one. Neither team shot the three ball well. Nets put up forty in the first quarter, led sixty three fifty two at halftime. But the closing sequences of this game, we're back and forth, and we'll have all that in a little bit with the audio highlights of the game from start to finish. We've got Tom McGuinness right now. That was a big one for that old season series too, Tom. These teams came in and with the ten team expanded field where the play in tournament is a thing, these two teams are right there with Chicago whose tenth And now the Sixers don't have that tie breaker against Brooklyn. They will play Chicago here on Monday. But I know you were you were on for a while after the final buzzer, But what did you make to me? I was surprised they didn't take a time out, but it worked out for the Nets to set it up. I assumed time out with about twenty seconds after the max three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, normally that is what you see. But to their credit, right they made that. I think because of that, you know, I think the rationale is you don't let the opposing team set their defense right. And it ended up being like a scramble for the rebound and Claxton got there and put it in. That was a difficult shot. It's not like he was at point blank range. I would say that was a six seventy eight footer going away from the basket. Quickness, as you say latterally across the lane.
Speaker 1: He got lost a bit because he did. Yabule was in. Embiid did not play down the stretch of the game, and it was Yabu at the five, and it was like a cross situation where Paul George ended up on the left block with Claxton getting around it right.
Speaker 3: And then by the way that takes that coach nurse, he deserves credit, you know, I mean, that takes guts to not put Embiid back in the game. But Yabu Sele's quickness, that's what allowed the Sixers to come back and to make it a game, right and I mean that if you go back, forget the last play. But the Sixers gave up sixty points in the paint and they were porous, you know, like where Brooklyn was getting easy baskets, particularly early in the game. Neither team shot the ball well from three, and so that ended up being a big thing. And then the other area would be bench points, as Watford had sixteen points and he was you know, he did a lot of their driving dribble penetration, and he scored a good bit again seven of thirteen, but he set them up. I thought Sharp really played well off the bench.
Speaker 1: Fifteen for twenty first quarter for them and only three of those attempts. They were two for three from three forty to thirty in the first and it turned into kind of a Maxi Watford duel down the stretch at times. I don't know if it's just the sec connection. They are friends. Maxie shouted him out after the win in Boston on Christmas, saying that the Watford texted him that he needed a better game on the national stage.
Speaker 3: But this time I think you just kind of nailed it without talking at length about it, but you know when you go back. So the game ended at a last second put back, and it was I thought the crowd was stunned, right because they were voicing their displeasure at times during the game, and understandably so. At one point the Sixers fell behind by seventeen. But when you consider when you go back in the last analysis and look like Brooklyn who's been struggling quite a bit on offense of late. But they had a forty point first quarter. So the Sixers really dug themselves a whole down ten. We're gonna hear from Sixers coach Nick Nurse. I believe he's in the postgame press conference area. Here is the Sixers head.
Speaker 4: Coach, so well together and had a good, good feel for the game at that point, just this wanted to let him roll with it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's maybe going to Andre in the first half and then going to Yabu in the second half.
Speaker 2: What what kind I guess what.
Speaker 5: Kind of close the switch up there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we wanted to try to play Yabu at the four, right, so that that's that was that Drum went in there and uh played okay except for the fouls. You know, he committed three fouls and what did he play about five or six minutes? Yeah, And I didn't mind the matchup with Yabu on Watford. Actually, I think he was doing the best job of keeping him out of the paint. But then in the second half, I just again, it became more of a speed thing, I think on the on the outside, which is why we went with Yabu in the second half.
Speaker 1: Are you more encouraged by the rally or more disappointed in how the defense started.
Speaker 4: That Dade equally equally? I think certainly didn't start defensively at all and then played, you know, pretty good defense, played really great defense second half, fourth quarter, really really great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I guess, like, what was your your your your advantage point on the Claxton uh, the tip in?
Speaker 2: I guess what did you kind of see what you like when you aint?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was just I was just I didn't really like I saw him tip it in. I was just seeing if he was over the back or not. I didn't, but I haven't watched it again. I just was checking to see if I could challenge that since they were going to look at the monitor and there wasn't a call, so you can't challenge it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about that that the fourth quarters? To believe that they were able to sort of turn.
Speaker 4: Up the defense the way that they did. Well, you you saw him. They were up up, really garden hard. They were pressuring, they were they were really making drives a lot harder. And if somebody did drive, somebody was there quickly to help. They were back out. They knocked the ball away. I'm not sure how many turnovers we created in the fourth, but it felt like a good number. Got our hands on a lot of balls. But they were just just much more active and physical, guarded the ball much better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Nick, you said, and Joel has said as well. Normally when he is feeling good. You see him at the basket of hot tonight. He took six threes. I think he missed all of them. I guess, like, what what do you see as the biggest impediment for him right now? I know that the knee is the knee, but why why can't he establish himself the way he probably Well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, again, I mean you said it like I said, you know, he's feeling pretty decent when he's when he's driving the ball some right and playing inside a little bit and protecting the rim a little bit, and you know, he's not feeling pretty very decent if he's you know, playing on the perimeter and whatever the opposite of those things.
Speaker 1: So I you know, again, he.
Speaker 4: He's giving us what he can, right, I don't, you know, obviously doesn't feel like he's not himself. We all know that he's not certainly the guy that we're used to seeing play at a super high level. But he I recommend him forgiving us what he can. Thanks, good, all right, Thanks everybody.
Speaker 1: Seventy six Ers head coach Nick Nurse on the Parks Casino postgame show after a one oh five to one oh three home loss to the Brooklyn Nets. Sixers are twenty and thirty six. The Nets are twenty one and thirty five, so they'll leap frog the Sixers for eleventh. Came in with tide record wise there with Tom mcguinnis. I'm Matt Murphy and Tom. Before we get to Chicago on Monday, you mentioned, I mean, we just heard coach talk about emb not playing down the stretch. You mentioned Yabu Sele's quickness being important to the comeback. I thought Quinton Grimes and Kelly Oubray Junior's intensity. Athleticism also important, and you were commending Grimes on the defensive end last game. More of that tonight. What did you see from from those two wings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought Ubra really struggled at the beginning, right, but he ended up with fourteen points, and you know, he had some big baseline cuts and I thought he did a really good job in that area, because again, the focus changes when you have him be George and Maxi im and Kelly Oubray at times has been the second scorer for the Sixers. In that game in Brooklyn, both he and Grimes had thirty and it's you know, like when when the big well those three players play roles shift. The same thing with Yabusele, and I thought Grimes was good and Paul, George and Maxi made a lot of shots down the stretch too, So you know, again like there's it's that old deal when you when you lose on a last second shot. It's not just that Blad is the one that sealed the deal. It was the difference in the end, in the very end. But there were a lot of different things. And again I thought the points in the paint and no resistance, they just scored left and right on drive. They played harder and faster throughout much of the game. They led for eighty five ninety of the game right Brooklyn, and then they got to one more rebound. Let's look the rebounds Sixers ended up with. They out rebounded them forty three.
Speaker 1: To thirty fifteen offensively for the Sixers is a huge number.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So but they that's got the one that counted. They're a physical, fast team that I said this pregame. They're the best defensive rating team in the month of February. So Jordi Fernandez just has them playing hard and and despite the Sixers comeback efforts, they scrape out another w They've won seven of nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think with the way the Sixers came back and how exciting it was with the big shots by Maxi, I think the crowd felt like the Sixers. It seemed like the Sixers were gonna win. And then that play took the air out of the balloon. And then the other part was that Claxton locked the Sixers. You know, he had a huge.
Speaker 1: Plot five five total and yeah, in the end there.
Speaker 3: So he made two good plays that two winning plays that I think provided the difference in the very end, and.
Speaker 1: Then just touching on Chicago because they have occupied that last play in spot for a while. They lost earlier to Phoenix. Yes, and they've lost six in a row. So it's two teams trying to snap long losing streaks in the Sixers and the Bulls. That the Suns big three did really well against the Bulls. But this is going to be potentially on Monday, a game like the last one, where the Celtics are a three point shooting team, the Bulls play that way. They took fifty three threes today and Lonzo Ball going one for seven was part of the reason they lost. They don't have Zach Lavine anymore, but they're under Billy Donovan. They're trying to take around fifty three is a game, So it might look less like tonight and more like the game on Thursday against the Celtics. You hope that it doesn't look like the end result from Thursday. But about the Bulls coming in.
Speaker 3: Right, Brooklyn only took twenty eight threes. Traditionally, over the last few years they have been right. Brooklyn has been like the one of the most analytically driven teams. But that's how that game was that the Sixers played out in Chicago in December, right where both teams really flew it up from it was you know, MAXI, I mean.
Speaker 1: That was a comeback for the Sixeries. I've got a stat here, how about this. The Sixers are we are one in thirty one when trailing at the start of the fourth quarter, and that Chicago game on the twenty fifth of January was the only time they've trailed going into the fourth and won the game. And they nearly did it tonight.
Speaker 3: Right, So at some point the Sixers got to obviously snap this streaky and again couple things. One, you know, they played better in the Boston game. They just ran into the world champion Celtics who were on fire, right Pritchard Tatum triple double tonight, definitely not the greatest to begin with, and yet really good at the fourth quarter. And they got to get closer to playing a full forty eight, which is you go back to different parts of this season, and that was the case where they you know, again some of these games they don't come down to the final play, but you know, you put yourself at a buying so at some point they got to come closer to playing a full forty eight to be able to get back in the win column.
Speaker 1: Monday night against the Bulls. Tom Acgainnis, thank you good night, Brooklyn one oh five the Sixers one to oh three in Philadelphia. The fourth quarter ended up being twenty seven to twenty two Sixers, so they outscored the Nets in the second half fifty one forty two, but trailed by as many as seventeen late in the first half. Maxi thirty one, Grimes sixteen, Paul George fifteen, Ubra and Embiid fourteen each. The Sixers starting five all in double figures twenty three points for Cam Johnson, sixteen each for Nick Claxton and Trendon Watford. Claxton had the tip in the Nets had the answers at times in the back and forth down the stretch. We still have the game highlights and we'll look at the box score from a team perspective after the break. The shoot the final shooting numbers after the Nets got off to such a hot start, but it's the Nets one oh five, the Sixers one oh three will do that. After a break, you're listening to the Parks Casino post game show. Postgame at the Center. After tonight's NBA action on a Saturday night between the visiting Brooklyn Nets and home Philadelphia seventy six Ers, Matt Murphy back with You with the Parks Casino postgame show. It was the Nets one oh five, the Sixers one to oh three. Sixers, trailed by as many as seventeen, came all the way back to take the lead, but Nick Claxton had an offensive rebound tipped in put back for the win that just beat the buzzer. He had sixteen points and nine rebounds. The Nets were led in scoring by Cam Johnson's twenty three points. His lone three pointer came at a good time in the fourth to retie the game. Tyrese Maxey led all scores with thirty one made five threes, the most for any player took eleven. Six Ers were ten for thirty nine from deep, and Beid was ozer for six. George was one for six from there. Oubre was oh for three. Grimes was the second best three point shooter at three for six, so they were twenty six percent from three. The Nets were only twenty five percent from three. Johnson was one for nine forty two percent overall for Philadelphia. Fifty one percent for Brooklyn after they were seven twenty five percent shooting in the first quarter that they won forty thirty and then free throws twelve of fourteen Brooklyn in the first half and they ended up only taking a couple more five more so sixteen for nineteen in the game, and the Sixers also only missed three twenty one for twenty four only turned it over thirteen times the seventy six Ers compared to sixteen for Brooklyn. But the Nets win by two they withstand the Sixers strong second half. We'll have the highlights of this game from start to finish coming up. The stat of the game would be Nick Claxton's five block shots along with the game winning rebound on the offensive glass. He had three offensive rebounds, so two to de Ubre and Grimes for the Sixers, who had fifteen in the game. But the Nets get their twenty first win of the season, Sixers still at twenty. Both teams came in twenty and thirty five, and it's a seven game losing streak for Philadelphia. It was the fourth and final meeting of the regular season between the two Atlantic Division opponents. Sixers had a two to one lead. Coming in they had the eleventh spot to the Nets twelfth based on having the edge in the series, so it was tied record wise, but the Sixers in eleventh top ten get into the playoff picture via the play in tournament these days and the Bulls, the Sixers next opponent Monday, are in the tenth spot still despite the loss to Phoenix that preceded this game. In Philadelphia, it was Lonnie Walker the fourths seventy six Ers debut. He only played in the first half, didn't score the Redding, PA Native We're here on the Parks Casino postgame show. The Sixers had the same inactives Justin Edwards, Eric Gordon, Kyle Lowry and Jerry McCain. Brooklyn was without D'Angelo Russell and Cam Thomas, among others. And let's hear how the game sounded, as called by Tom McGuinness, Sixers nets. In Philly it was HBCU Celebration night. The Delaware State marching band, the Approaching Storm did the national anthem as well as the halftime performance. Sixers in white uniforms, Nets in black uniforms, and it was all nets in the first quarter. Defensively, they came in leading the NBA in defensive rating in the month of February. But Tyrese Maxie still was able to score against this Nets defense, particularly early, as with the three, the Sixers go up seven to two.
Speaker 3: Maxi for three and that's good. Johnson was right there man Maxie making the three with daft the Sixes are up by five, ten to fifteen in the first seven two. As mentioned, thirteen of his fifteen first half points were in the first quarter. He made three threes in the half. But in that first Brooklyn shot fifteen for twenty from the field, two for three from three to eight for nine from the foul line, seventy five percent shooting for the Brooklyn That's only their fifth forty point quarter any quarter of the season and led forty thirty. Cam Johnson had ten points in the first quarter, and he was also part of the Visitors going up big in the second right before their largest lead of the game. It was Johnson on the cut Brooklyn by twelve, four and a half to go back door Johnson, he got by Paul George. When you spread to court, there are some wanes for cutting. They executed that Will Johnson. Will the lay up piece got twelve to lead the Nets.
Speaker 1: Twenty three points total for Cam Johnson fifty five forty one, and then Nick Claxton would build the lead with a basket to sixty forty three, forcing a Sixers time out, largest lead of the game out of the timeout, though Joel Embiid.
Speaker 3: Here's in b with a seventeen footer and that's good, wide open outside the right elbow and beating out two of six Ubra with the disc Sixers nine assists on fourteen.
Speaker 1: Field goals Grimes and Oubra after Embiid helped the Sixers get within single digits, but it was it ended up going back to double digits Nets sixty three six Ers fiftyfty two at halftime and the Sixers on the season three and twenty six record when trailing at the half to the third quarter. After you heard that MBD bucket. He had ten of his fourteen points tonight in the first half. He also had five first half assists. All five of his assists were in the first so he was trying to get Maxie and others open, particularly towards the start of this game. Sixty three fifty two six Ers trailed into the third quarter. Kelly Ubray Junior did most of his work scoring wise in the second half, and this one off a Quentin Grimes assist. They had active second half minutes. Maxi with it three on three, left to right to Grimes. Now that a trailing Ubre down the lane, puts it up and he gets it in on Claxton Rubray, a left hand player, shifted it to the right and laid it in.
Speaker 3: He's two of eight six.
Speaker 1: Ers down twelve ended seven of sixteen Kelly Ubray. It was seventy one to fifty nine Brooklyn. He had twelve of his fourteen points in the game in the second half, eight of those in the third quarter. But the Nets shot zero for five from three in the third. Sixer shot one for ten from three in that third quarter, and it was eighty three seventy six Brooklyn into the fourth quarter, but things got very interesting. Sixers trailed eighty seven eighty after a Quentin Grimes steal and slam, and then Paul George cut it to five with some more Quinton Grimes defense. Oubre dunk for eighty nine eighty six Brooklyn as the Sixers comeback, was fully on trendon. Watford, though would put Brooklyn back up two possessions with an and one. He had eleven points in the second half, sixteen in the game. And then fast forwarding to one possession game ninety four ninety two Brooklyn after Maxie's layup, and then the Sixers for their first lead since the early stages. It's Maxie on the assist out to Grimes so.
Speaker 3: The Sixers can tire or take the lead. Four to twenty to go. Maxie with a backpedaling Keon Johnson defending him Crimes of the screen. Cam Johnson switches out on Tyres twelve to shoot back to Quentin Grimes three bowl shot near fully and it's good. Quinton Crimes trails a triple and the Sixers lead for the first time since the early moments.
Speaker 1: Quinn Grimes three threes his sixth game as a Sixer, traded for Caleb Martin coming from Dallas sixteen point seven rebounds right on his averages, basically as a seventy six er. Huge shot for Grimes. The Sixers are up ninety five ninety four. Then Oubre made it a three point Sixers lead with a dunk. I mentioned that Cam Johnson his loan three was well timed. Ninety seven ninety seven. So two was Keon Johnson's loan three pointer of the game. Two nets starters, but that is a couple of possessions away because after Cam tied it, it's Tyrese Maxi in that step back three and it's Grimes returning the favor this time.
Speaker 3: Top of the arc, ninety shoot. Three minutes to go in the game, Quinton Crimes on the dribble back to Maxi. Maxi fires for three. It's up in god, he nailed another one. He's fourth three in the game. Nine chiples for the Sixers, and they've taken a three pointedge. One and ninety seven. Maxi with twenty eight points.
Speaker 1: But there was Trendon Watford one hundred ninety nine, got the nets within one, then the key On Johnson three for a two point lead. But Tyrese Maxey had four threes after that last one. He wasn't done. Maxi going for five, Watford five to shoot, backing, turning leans back out top Keon Johnson for three.
Speaker 3: No good rebound. Crime six is Paul twenty five seconds ago, Paul George in the front court, timing upside Maxi for the tie. It's up, Let's go Maxie nailed to pray twenty two seconds to.
Speaker 1: Go, tied at one oh three. Honestly, I had assumed time out coming Brooklyn had one. They played it out and we noted this earlier, but Joel Embiid was out of the game. Down the stretch. It was Gershanyabusele at the center position for the Sixers. Tied at one o three. The Nets end up with a pick and roll situation. Keon Johnson shoots a three from the wing in the closing seconds of regulation, and here's the finish.
Speaker 3: Brooklyn with the ball. They're going for the win. Tied at one hundred and three, hey seconds to go, the crowd on its feet, Trendon Watford with a five seconds ago. He makes a move to the left side Johnson for the win. It's no good rebound, Claxon good at the buzzer and Brooklyn beats the Sixers. Nick Claxon with a rebound puck back. Final score Nets one hundred and five, the Sixers one hundred and three.
Speaker 1: Just a tough, tough loss for the Sixers, shocking to the home fans because it did feel like they were going to complete the comeback and Maxi's well timed threes. The Nets get the last laugh on the offensive glass. Nick Claxon swung around from the right block to the left block, so Yabusele turned to box him out. He was kind of already gone and he got around. Paul George used the window on the left side of the basket. The three came from the left wing, so he he came over to this side. The Nets big Man sixteen points, nine rebound night, five block shots, and the Nets are twenty one and thirty five. The Sixers our twenty and thirty six, and the losing streak is at seven games. For the Sixers, they will play Chicago on Monday. Tyrese Maxi was the game high scorer with thirty one. He ended up shooting five for eleven from three to ten of twenty three overall six for six the line in forty two minutes and fifty five seconds, the most playing time for any player in the game. Nick Claxton's nine boards were a game high. Two players had six assists for them. Trendon Watford off the bench with his sixteen points, and then Killy and Hayes got the start without D'Angelo Russell, he had six assists as a starting guard next to Keon Johnson. That'll be it for Tonight's seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Parks Casino. The final score the Brooklyn Nets one oh five the Philadelphia seventy six Ers one to oh three. Thanks to our engineer Marty Dickerson, our producers Carl Emole and Sean Rodman, and of course Tom mcguinnis on the call. That Monday game for the Sixers a seven pm Eastern home start against the Bulls, and our coverage here on the Sixers Radio Network presented by Jackpot City Casino, will begin at six point fifty Eastern. Until then, I'm Matt Murphy saying so long from the center. Thanks so much for listening, Have a great rest of your weekend.
Speaker 3: Take care,