Speaker 1: And welcome into another episode of Tiger Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network Detroit Tiger's podcast. I am Kieren Steckley with me as always as a man who has vinyl in his shoes because he's always on the record, he is Cody Stavenhagen.
Speaker 2: How are we doing right, Kieren?
Speaker 1: We're back at it, back at it and look, hey, man, like I keep in my head, I keep trying to come up with like new little phrases for this team, like you know, to replace like gritty Tigs, you know, and it's just like a fun little exercise and it changes like game the game. And for Thursday night, the one that I came up with was the the play it out Tigs because that's really what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Which was so much less exciting, even though it's spot.
Speaker 1: On fair enough, but that's really what everything that this team, the conversation comes down to, is play it out or potentially not play it out. But like today was a game like play it out, like Meltain's on the mound, doesn't have his best stuff, gives up the two running home late and then it's like, man, are you really about to put up a blank spot in this game, and then James Autman Cody James Outman with a three run bomb to give him the lead, game gets tied, and high a League gets a single, gets the second Dingler delivers.
Speaker 3: It's a four to three win for the Tigers.
Speaker 1: Like five and two says the All Star Break twenty seven and sixteen, since June one, play it.
Speaker 3: Out, Cody, like like, can we play it out? Can we play it out?
Speaker 2: Well, they're going to play it out. They're going to play all the games like they will play them out. There were so many things that were typical Tigers. I told someone before the game, like Randy Dobnak, this guy who was in their system last year and it was terrible and it seemed like he'd be out of baseball, and now he resurfaced and he's doing all right. And a few outings like this seems like someone who's just gonna shut him down, And sure enough he did for five innings, Randy Tomnack, and then they came alive. Then it's James Outman popping a random three run home or just like how you lead did the night before, And I actually love Yeah, barely got out, but I actually love when the contributions are coming from kind of all over the place. That's what I think good teams do. That's what the Tigers for the good parts of last year did. It was it was unexpected, guys, it was surprises. You haven't had any surprises this year. How you lead is maybe becoming one of them, James Outman, the scoreboard numbers aren't great, but man, he's done some productive things for this ball club, and none bigger than tonight, of course. And then you hand the lead right back. Seemed very Tigers. You're both wild pitch, a guy's advancing to third, boom, he scores off Drew Anderson and but kind of unlike the Tigers of May, they're they're finding ways to win some games too. Out it's two strike hits, those things that I don't know if you can really explain, but it just seems like more things are going their way, and suddenly they're becoming a fun team again, which is which is good to say because it hasn't been like that for so long.
Speaker 1: I understand what you're saying about, Like it's kind of hard to explain, but like, at the same time, the simple explanation is they are a good team right now, Like they just are a good team. They're not a great team. You can argue about World Series contenders, whether it's good enough to come out of the whole blah blahlah blah.
Speaker 3: But this is.
Speaker 1: Certainly a large enough sample size with that June one date and with all the stat metrics and where they rank in Major League Baseball to say this is a good team. And one step further, because I actually think this is probably more crucial, is that this is a well functioning team, which we did not see for a good portion of this season prior to June one. It just did just did not look like a well oiled machine. I think I used that phrase in different varieties a lot on this podcast. And you're right about having contributions from guys like Outman and then again even Lee like that, like that go ahead run does not happened without him getting a single up the middle and then having you know, you know, it resulted in out, but just like the right kind of out that Lee is able to advance to second and it's not a double play type situation when Riley Green grounds out the second base and it's like all those little things you know, hell, even let's go to the first inning. Well, the drop thirst stright. Have you ever seen this before? You've watched a lot of baseball. I've watched a lot of baseball, even though we're not old men.
Speaker 2: I think i've Yeah, I've seen it in high school. Certainly not in the major leagues. I've not seen that. I think it's happened twice in the last five years. We looked it up after the game, and I think the okay, the other one was like there was something very some variation where it still wasn't quite the same play. So no, pretty rare to have a drop third strike, two to one put out at the plate to end an inning. Dylan Dingler, by the way, did not even know the batter swung, so he didn't know what happened. He goes to get the ball through at home, sees Melton not tag him and is like wow, and he's like, oh no, he was out. Okay, So that actually explains why why the play went down the way it did.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, because even Bobby Scales on the radio was was saying like, why don't you just throw.
Speaker 2: The first Melton like I should have been yelling one. I don't really know why I wasn't that was a mistake even though he made this great like athletic play.
Speaker 1: Yeah first, yeah, and you know, and and potentially dangerous play for a lot of people involved him with the jump and the you know come down and then obviously with the runner there like that, you know things right.
Speaker 2: I don't want to speak this into existence, but if it were may Trey Meltan probably his ankle taken out on that play or something, but it's things are going much.
Speaker 3: Better, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And then and I should note like in terms of like the small things and the well functioning things that are going on with his team is also like the last you know play of the game. And I'll quote Bobby Scales again a level listening to Bobby on the radio, the slowest six three one double play I've ever seen. And that's and that's.
Speaker 3: How you get out of a little bit.
Speaker 2: Of you know, that wasn't great theory either. Good things sell these Uh. He's on the Victor Martinez program here, just trying to squeak by for a little bit longer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which and and and like you combine, like we know where the royals are at and obviously they're they're down. You know, Bobby what Junior on the I l for the first time in his career. Like we we understand all of this, but this is coming off the heels of a victory in Chicago against the Cups. So like we combine everything here. That's why I say, like this is a good team. The Cubs have won three straight series Cody to that, prior to that Tiger series and you know prime Time like all these like elements here, Torquet's a bomb, Like these are the elements of good teams.
Speaker 3: And that and that.
Speaker 1: Thought percolating around my mind is what probably gives me like the greatest level of angst regarding the next whatever two weeks or whatever is because like I do believe this is a good team. I do believe that this is a team that you can throw in the mix and kind of see what happens with anybody in the American League. But I don't know if that opportunity is going to present itself. And there's a lot of factors at Bay there, and we are going to get to that here in a second. But first I want to tell you guys that I am looking for the best deal on tickets for the one hundred and twenty fifth anniversary weekend, specifically Saturday's game with the nineteen oh one jersey giveaway, which is why I want to give the sponsor of today's video. Sea Geek a huge shout out. With over thirty five million download see geek is the number one rated ticketing app. There are more than seventy thousand events listened on seakeek, including concerts, sports, festivals and more.
Speaker 3: Got the trade deadline, the angst to the last? Could it be the last?
Speaker 1: Schoobl start? You know you gotta be there for all of it and NFL is around the corner. NHL's schedule is out. All of it is on sea geek, and with seat geek being MLB's official ticket marketplace, your tickets are fully guaranteed and instantly fulfilled in your account after purchase.
Speaker 3: I love using sea geek.
Speaker 1: They have all the options, including the A to A options that are easy to find. Sea Gek has your back. Each ticket is raided on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal. Look for the green dots. Green means good, red means bad. Plus every ticket is backed by their buyer guarantee and of course I have a deal for you guys. You can use code territory ten for ten percent off any MLB tickets on sea geek. That is territory ten for ten percent off any MLB tickets on Seekeek. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your accounts so you can use it later.
Speaker 3: Thank you Seekeek. All right, so Tiger's get an exciting win. That's uh.
Speaker 1: That would be the lead in a lot of and a lot of other days, Cody, but today was not every other day. And of course it has to do with Tarek Schoogl. And of course it has to do with Trek Schoogle trying to like explain what his life has been like. And I think we've done a good job of going in depth. I think you have done a good job of writing about it. It was your story that was percolating around the baseball world today and then and then Trek Schoogle came out and addressed I guess I would say misnomers that came about by people who didn't feel the need to fully grasp the situation. I think that'd be the nice way of me putting it, So I guess if you could just kind of take us through the reaction that you got from the story, which obviously had a lot of good information in it, and then sort of like watching Schoogle in the clubhouse kind of explain further things that I guess didn't, in my opinion, need to be explained all that much further, but apparently they did, so like take us in that scene because it's it's polarizing either way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, I don't know. Trek Schoogle said a lot today, Trek school has said a lot in recent times. I guess I guess we'll just kind of go in order here. One of the first things he said, someone just asked him point blank, like would you prefer to be traded or not? And he said no. He said, I think we have a chance to win the World Series. I've said that since spring training. That's never changed. That belief in this team has never changed throughout the whole season. He seemed to make sure to include going into bring training the whole off season. I've never been more motivated to try to win a World Series for this city, the team that drafted me in twenty eighteen and helped develop me. Of course, all this was coming off the story. For anyone who didn't listen to our last episode, I wrote a long story about Trek school and kind of this juncture in his life and what it is like when you kind of achieve what you've always dreamed of and worked very hard for, which is being at the top of air craft, the top of your sport. Everyone's talking about you. You're the center of attention, and kind of the costs and the drawbacks that come with that. Over the course of the conversation I had with Trek for that story, he mentioned the fact that he probably would have gotten an MRI in January when he knew something was wrong with his arm. But Trek said there were also other factors in play. I was going through arbitration, the decision by the organization to take me to court. I think that probably had some impact subcontinent, so as we kind of knew, that quote took on a life of its own, which is really funny because if you read the story, I kind of went to great links to frame it a certain way, and all this firestorm did was reinforce the point of the whole story, which is that everything Google says or does becomes this huge thing, and that's got to be a weird thing as a human being to navigate. I would assume a lot of people who probably just saw the quotes and didn't actually read the whole story. But of course, when ninety seven one gets a hold of it, and then social media gets ahold of it, these things happen. I wasn't necessarily surprised by that, so of course, you know, the reaction was not good. It seemed like the tone I saw the most was people kind of saying, well, that was greedy or selfish of Scooble to withhold information from the team that he was hurt just so he could make more money in arbitration. And I think Scooble definitely took exception to that based on some of his quotes Thursday, he referred to the thing being blown up, blown out proportion. He said, things people say about me just aren't true. To be clear, I did talk to Terrek a little bit one on one, and I'm going to keep most of that between us, but he wasn't really upset with me or the story. It was definitely more toward the public reaction. I think the idea that he was being self interested. This is another thing he did kind of want to clarify the reason he didn't get an MRI. He thought he was trending in the right direction, which makes sense, like he was still throwing, he was starting games in spring training. He went through with the WBC. As much of a fiasco as that was, he still pitched in it. He pitched games in the regular season, so he didn't, you know, he thought things were getting better up until the point that they weren't. So that's kind of what happened there. And this is another one that kind of baffles me. Like again, I wasn't really surprised that people reacted strongly to the quote, but I think everyone might benefit a little more by putting yourself in Trek Scooble's shoes. It's it's January. You're up for a big promotion at work. You're up for a big raise you really like. I don't know if someone told me, hey, you might not be able to write for six weeks, you know, if something's wrong with your wrist, and I wouldn't really like that. You know, you're working on a big project with your company, your teammates that you care about and you love and some feels a little bit wrong in your body, but you think you can probably push through it. You think you're gonna be okay. That's basically what Trek Scoogle did, and I think that's personally probably what I would have done in a situation with his stakes. Sure, the money is a part of it. I do think the Tigers are part of it too. You're trying to pitch, you're trying to make your maybe it's your last hurrah in Detroit, whatever. You have a good team trying to win the World Series. For some reason, that point is lost, and I do think, you know, Trek felt like that. It's kind of common sense that that's one of the reasons he didn't get the MRI, mostly because he didn't feel like he had to, And of course there were all these other factors swirling in the background. So we can talk about that a little more if you have any questions, Kieran. But the other thing, of course, he said, because it is Derek in every interview, is interesting. Someone asked, you know, did that arbitration hearing change your relationship with the front office for better for worse? Derek said, of course, when you take a player to arbitration. There's not a ton of positive things that come out of that process. Relationship wise, that's pretty obvious. He said. His relationship with the coaching staff, the players, his teammates, that didn't really change. He says, as far as going through that process and sitting in that room, you guys should go experience that for yourselves. So again, kind of common sense, kind of obvious. Players don't like to be taken to arbitration. That can cause some hard feelings. However, most players don't say that out out loud. School Bole finally said that out loud, seems like obviously there is still some weird feelings regarding the Tiger's front office.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in regards to the arbitration piece of this, uh, that one did stick out to me partially because the Tigers really tried to frame the entire thing as them just kind of going through the like essentially riding.
Speaker 3: The company line.
Speaker 1: They portrayed it as we, you know, we we we did not argue against school bl We just argued with precedent like that was. That was the public position that they maintained and agree with it, disagree with it whatever. If school Bol feels the need to say that then that means that that whole thing was not portray to the extent that it could have been in order to uh have the whole like no real hard feelings aspect of it, especially when.
Speaker 2: To be clear, that was a weird one too, because it seemed like neither side was very interested in negotiating, including Schooble side. Yeah, so like I.
Speaker 1: Like school, they were acting. Both sides were acting their own interests, which is what arbitration is. And like obviously schoogl and Boris Code knew that this was a you know, literally a big ass literally the biggest ask of like all time, right, so like like this, like I feel disappointed that that is still lingering in general because I was under the impression that that was just kind of like kind of business as usual type deal. But having said that, I understand where he's talking talking about with arbitration feeling, because like that whole thing is we love you, but we don't love you this much.
Speaker 2: Like that's that's that have to pay you more than David Price eleven years ago or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So like like the very nature of it and and it's it's literally a it's not public but like a more like more parties involved, setting of here's why you're not worth what you think you're worth like that, Like, you know, normally this is just happens between agent and front office and not really a whole lot kind of percolates out of that. But because it goes to arbitration, because more people are involved, because you're Trek schoobl and you're the you know, best picture in baseball, Like this thing gets blown up really high, more so than it normally would be. So like I empathize and like obviously agree with his logic there, but I just wish that tells me that there was a error in communication about how this went down. If the fact that this is lingering now and it's you know, late July. But regardless, uh, I understand it affecting him. I understand him wanting to push through because look, like I don't know, like tak School has very recently been criticized for not pushing through enough, right, not demanding to stay in the game.
Speaker 3: When aj Hinch comes to the mound, you know, like he's not pushing hard enough.
Speaker 1: And this whole elbow thing was literally an example of him trying to push through, right, and and and and then and and and and kind of figure it out on the fly, because like he just had an experience, he says it all the time. I just hadn't experienced anything like that. He No one thought there was anything largely wrong with him prior to the MRI, prior to the diagnosis and all this stuff, right, So like that like there's no there's no malice here, you know what I mean, Like he wasn't like, oh, it'd be better for me to like miss time in my contract year. That would that would be that would be good for my reputation and you know, my asking price here in a couple months or in free agency. So I hate the fact that anything that even remotely goes in that direction is characterized by Terrek Schouble because, as I've said repeatedly, it just seems like a separation from reality that it's hard for me to even get to that bridge. And no matter how many times he explains it, and no matter how many times you and your fellow media members articulate it, well, it just kind of seems like there are people that are kind of predisposed right now to look at Terrek Schooble through a lesser light, and that.
Speaker 2: Is I think there are a lot of people kind of looking for confirmation, bias, right whatever. For some reason, they've got an idea of Schooble in their head, and so when they see something that can confirm the picture they have in their head, they take it and they run with it. As I kind of tried to write about, that's a weird part of modern fame and modern existence and not something I'm sure it really existed before the social media era. So like that's where we're at now. It is interesting now, it's one thing after another. How to credit he keeps he keeps showing up, he keeps answering the questions, he keeps answering them quite honestly, probably to a fault. So we want honesty and we want transparency, but then when people get it, it gets used against them, which is why a lot of athletes, a lot of celebrities, a lot of public figures aren't honest and aren't accessible and just stay boring stuff all the time. So I obviously appreciate Scoobl's interactions, but it does seem like he's twisted himself in some knots, Like maybe he's just trying to explain things and think if he keeps explaining it, it will get people on his side. At this point in Detroit because he's likely leaving the Tigers either via trade or eventually via free agency. I don't think people want to hear it anymore. And I guess, you know, I kind of get that from the perspective of a fan, but I think there's a very strange thing in sports where people lose all empathy and humanity, like when when they when they are sports fans, and I don't know, there's a lot going on with this whole situation.
Speaker 1: I want I want athletes to be authentic. I want athletes to to to to be able to talk to you guys in the clubhouse and you know, come on podcasts and you know all these things. I want them to not be cookie cutter. And Trek Skoogle is not cookie cutter, and so I hope that that that he never changes in that regard because that in so many ways he is refreshing his story, his style, and then just kind of the way he carries himself is the embodiment of really what is probably like kind of the best type of high profile athlete that we have in maybe an old sports certainly in baseball and I don't want I don't want I don't want to lose that. So so it's kind of parlay at Fuward. You mentioned that at the top about how you know he doesn't want to be traded, and we've talked.
Speaker 3: About this before. He believes they can win the World Series and you know, all this stuff.
Speaker 1: He do you believe him when he says that he believes they can win the World Series because that if you want to talk about consistency, that has been a consistent message throughout And again he's not saying this when the Tigers are sixteen and twenty seven since the June one date. There are twenty seven and sixteen and five and two since the All Star Game. So these are actual tangible things that like, I believe, I believe him when he says that because of A how he is and B how the team is playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does remind me of you know, Nick, another athletes who was probably honest to a fault, Nick Cassianos, And in twenty nineteen someone asked Nick a similar question, and Nick being Nick, basically said, well, like, what do you want me to say? I say anything other than no, I don't want to be traded and the headline is going to be Castianos wants to trade, so like, yeah, what's Trek school is supposed to say? But I do know, I do think he believes that to some degree, because hey, yeah, this team is pretty good, and especially with Trek Scooble and this pitching staff, they have a rotation capable of giving teams real fits. Now, it's obviously a long shot. It's against the odds. And someone even said, you know, the odds say if you were traded somewhere else, you'd probably have a better chance to win the World Series? Is that alluring to you? And Schoogle said, well, I don't know if I believe the odds. And you know, I was on a team that had zero zero point two percent playoff odds and we made the playoffs. But YadA YadA. Like no, I think I mostly believe him. I think he's kind of kind of mostly saying the correct things to say here. But I don't think it's completely unfounded. Like I've said before, I don't think he's like going home and telling his wife and kids, Hey, like, I really hope I get traded so that you guys can have to move and we'll live out of a hotel for a couple of months, or that I won't see you guys for a couple of months, or that you know, I won't get to finish this, this kind of journey I've been on with these teammates that we came into the year, you know, thinking we were going to see it through. So they yeah, that's how I feel about that. I mostly believe it.
Speaker 1: I'll summarize it this way. If there's anybody on the team that has seen the way that they've played since June one and looks around in the clubhouse and.
Speaker 3: Sees Schoolble or if you're school bl.
Speaker 1: You see mys, you see Melton, you see the way Montero, especially the way he pitched on Wednesday. Wis not going to give him enough credit just because we don't have enough time, but he was excellent. And you see Dylan Dingler, and you see Kevin McGonagall, you see Riley Green and you and you believe in a J.
Speaker 3: Hinch. It's like, if you don't like leave.
Speaker 1: That, then then then then then then I don't really think you belong in the clubhouse.
Speaker 2: So that's actually a good point, Kieran, And maybe especially for someone with a story like Derek scouble one d one offer ninth round pick. The best athletes I've been around have delusional degrees of confidence. You pretty much have to to make it at that level. You have to actually think you're capable of doing something that other people didn't think you were capable of. And most of these guys are wired like that. They really are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so and again there's a lot.
Speaker 1: There's a lot that can happen between now and the trade deadline, but also not a lot because the games are getting fewer and fewer, but the Tigers keep winning, so we will see how that plays out. All right, we are going to get to a quick break and then afterward, did aj Hinch tell us who his core bullpen guys are these past two days? That next, But first we're from our sponsors.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel. Baseball fans. Think you know who's hitting a homer today, Well, FanDuel is giving you a free chance to call your shot with daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. You've got nothing to lose in a lot to gain, and don't forget you can make a free pick every day all season long. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home for home runs. So are you ready to play your game today? Join all the action at FanDuel dot com slash podcast. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast to play daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball twenty one plus select states for Kansas in affiliation with Kansas Star Casino eighteen plus DC, Kentucky, Wyoming. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued is non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem called one eight hundred, Gambler call one eight hundred, my reset one eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven. Visit CCPG dot org, slash chat Connecticut, Visit MD gambling heelp dot org. Maryland Visit Gambling Helpline m a dot Org Call eight hundred and three two seven five zero five zero, Massachusetts call one eight seven seven eight Hope and why text Hope and why New York Call one eight seven seven seven seven zero seven eight six seven Louisiana.
Speaker 3: All right, coming back here real quick about the confidence thing? Uh, Like, are.
Speaker 1: You able to gauge like Yu Lee and like his like kind of like does he feel like a more confident guy bouncing around?
Speaker 3: Because? Uh, he should? Like, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Should for sure. He's basically said to his mont right, he's a little intimidated early on in the big leagues and now he's now he's not He's he's certainly playing like he belongs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, like and I and I we've talked about Lee, you know, a couple of times now, so I don't want to be too repetitive, but I will say, I do you talk about guys being themselves? I do like how his style of play has been the same throughout and you know, if you watch him in the minor leagues and and even when he was struggling, like he's played the game hard the same way consistently that that's an attractive style of play.
Speaker 3: And uh, I don't have the.
Speaker 1: Stat cast for this, Cody, but I imagine he has the highest exit ve low on the team in terms of tossing the bat after you make contact. I don't know if they I don't know if they tracked that, but it has to be has to be best on the team. So good on, Good on Lee, and good on the Tigers for for you know, for staying with him and knowing that it's in there and being rewarded. He seems like he comes up with multiple big plays every game whenever he's in there.
Speaker 3: So good on lead.
Speaker 1: All right, uh five to one win on Wednesday and a four to three win on Thursday. Things that were in common, Cody, is that on back to back days, AJ Hinch went with some combination, now not exclusively, but some combination of Drew some Drew Anderson and Kyle Finn.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: Now there's other guys in each two games. Jansen on Wednesday, wax Back and and uh Holton sorry on Thursday. But those three guys he's using each time. And AJ is the king of what do you want me to say? Like, look what I do?
Speaker 3: And and Somers came in there in a safe situation. Now he only got one out.
Speaker 1: But the fact that he was in there, I was like, oh, okay, you know on a back to back day, right, So like, is this is this kind of the core?
Speaker 3: Now? Do we have like a core three for Tiger's bullpen options?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Is that what AJ's telling us?
Speaker 2: I think if I were a J. Hinch, I would really be hoping you have a different core bullpen in about ten days. Yeah, to answer the question, kind of yes, it's worth noting Tyler Holton has seemed to rediscover something and has been very good as of late. But these are the guys he's going to because these are the guys he has. Some people like Summers have done some things to earn it, and again it's still been pretty hit or miss. So I know, I just take that immediately to I don't know, man, if the Tigers are going to be for real, if they're gonna win the World Series or make the playoffs or even stay afloat, it's bullpen still needs some patching, and that gets really interesting. Maybe the most insightful thing I've seen all week was the MLB trade rumor story that mentioned if the Tigers exceed the luxury tax, which literally they're so close to the luxury tax right now, we're not sure if they're over it or under it, because it depends what projection you go by, and none of them are perfect. Any comp pick from a qualifying offer would move from after the first round, too, is it after the fourth round. So basically that means let's say you keep every and you add a couple of relievers and you go over the luxury tax, and then Scooble walks at the end of the year and Myz walks at the end of the year. Instead of gain two comp picks after the first round, you get much less valuable draft picks. So even if you want to do the I guess if you do the thread the needle thing and you move Scooble, you'd probably be okay. But if you were at all keep Schooble and really make a run for this, I think you have to add, which I think means you might have to take away salary from elsewhere. Jack Flaherty making twenty million could certainly be a candidate there, So that could get really interesting. Is that the more I watch this, I mean, it doesn't change like you have a lot of things going for you, but to really pull this off. I think you're gonna have to feel better navigating the last three ish innings of games, and I just don't know that you have the horses to do that on a sustained basis right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the confidence meter, it's not great A lot with with the calls to the pen, I will I will say that.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of.
Speaker 1: You know, ads at the deadline or later in the season, this segment is called ideas that I had that got scratched because of what happened in the game. I was prepared to do a whole thing about like James Outman, is it just kind of time to.
Speaker 3: Start the Max Clark cluck.
Speaker 1: You know, he's batting, He's on a good stretch right now in July and he had a base it again today.
Speaker 3: He's hitting lefties at a good clip.
Speaker 1: Obviously, I don't have all the metrics in front of me in terms of velocity and like you know, and bat speed and like all this stuff, but like the counting numbers are good for Max Clark. The athlete profile is obviously there. You would believe he could play adequate center feel at the major league level. And I was like, should they just kind of replace Clark with Outman real quick and just kind of to get a spark that way. Not gonna do that conversation on data. Outman hits a go ahead home run. But the point remains is is there any thought to like a Clark being an ad to this team if they're kind of going for it, you know, in a way, because I do believe there is merit to that discussion, especially considering with a CBA up.
Speaker 3: In the air.
Speaker 1: You just just don't really know how these things are gonna play out, and maybe maybe Max could give you something, and with the team not being deep as we've seen this year, I want guys that can give me something, So like I just kind of wanted to just kind of like introduce that topic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, as Max Court continues to really heat up, it's an interesting thing to talk about. I don't think it's gonna happen like next week. You're gonna have Hobby Baias back shortly, and that may be you I'll be interested. Would they get rid of Outman then and have Hobby play center every day or would they value Outman enough to where they sought another solution. I'm not sure. The Clerk thing, it is funny We've talked a lot about Max Clark and kind of the imperfections, and someone had said, like, is Max Clark almost become underrated? And I kind of think that's actually pretty fair. I think we've kind of obsessed over his game so much that we forget he's a top ten Keith Lock actually just dropped him to thirteen, but he's a top thirteen prospect in the sport. This is a really good elite tier prospect who will see what the future holds. But you know, you can't ask for much more in a promising young player. His year has been a little bit up and down. He's still really young. I don't I have a hard time seeing the Tigers calling him up before, you know, the very end of August. I just don't think they're going to burn his rookie eligibility. If they're really in it and really going for it, maybe they'll bring him up. And if they're really not, maybe they'll bring them up just to let some young kids play. But it's still hard for me to see them punching that button. You know. But before then, especially given you have hobby, maybe there's a world that you could get Parker Meadows back. We don't know a ton about his status, but I think especially the presence of Hobby Bias is another option in center field, gives them incentive to continue to take things slow with mcclark.
Speaker 1: I think it's one hundred percent accurate that the Detroit fan base says like he is now underrated in terms of how he's just how he's discussed locally, and part of that is just how great Ken McGonagall has been this year and then and then you know, just having Clark and Triple A, all the injuries the center field and the Tiger's never really given that the light of day that they will call him up nationally. He is not underrated. I believe he is properly rated nationally. And I have the numbers up right now, three sixteen in the month of July with a nine to seven nine ops against lefties this year Cody two seventy nine with a seven seven seven ops. So again there's obviously more in depth numbers. I would explain things further, but you have to kind of say that he has done his job and he deserves credit for state, you know, being at stabilizing presence in Toledo and kind of like giving everybody like the idea of like what he potentially could be as he you know, probably not easy to see Kevin McGonagall. Have happy for him, obviously, but not easy to see someone who's trying to get like your peer in your entire professional career and one of your good friends, and all of a sudden he's here and you're still trying to get there.
Speaker 3: So so yeah, I just don't think it's the craziest idea.
Speaker 1: If we're gonna if we're gonna go nuts this year, that would be in the category of why not. And then also I would I would say in regards to the luxury tax threshold.
Speaker 3: Kind of sounds like a cap.
Speaker 1: So like baseball already already kind of has a cap that you know. I'm just just saying, just saying kind of already has a cap if you have that of those kind of penalties. So just wanted to just wanted to put that out there. All right, that's about it all. I have Cody, but I haven't given my trade percentage, So I'll wrap up this twenty seven percent chance has traded.
Speaker 2: It's gone down. You're wow, dramatic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's he like, look, he wants he wants to be in Detroit, so he says, and the team keeps winning. Uh, we didn't just come off a was it eleven to two or whatever loss with two position player pitchers.
Speaker 3: So I'm feeling a little bit better.
Speaker 2: You don't. You don't think Scott Harris read his comments about the arbitration thing and was filled with so much personal rage that he's just now looking to trade him for anything he can.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: If there is a personal rage version of Scott Harris and there's video available, I will pay for said video because I would love to see it. No comment, and with that we will get out of here. You guys can follow us on x formally known on Twitter at Cody steven Hagen. I am at Kieran Underscore Decley pod page at Tiger Territory Underscore YouTube, Apple, Spotify, You guys.
Speaker 3: Know what to do.
Speaker 1: We appreciate all of you, so for code Stapenhagen, I'm Kieran Steckley. Everybody, have a great day.