Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not?
Speaker 2: And who says? So?
Speaker 1: Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: I hope you had a beautiful holiday weekend, A great fourth of July. I spent it in Chicago with my parents and my brother. My dad's birthday is on the third, and so I usually come home for this weekend and it's just like such a nice time to be in the Chicago suburbs. Don't know if you've ever been here, but it's so green. It's calm, and it's green. And I don't know if this happens to you, but I sleep so well in my childhood bed. I guess I just feel like fully relaxed and like somebody else can hold the bag, if that makes sense. Anyways, I want to get into today's episode. I think that there are moments in life when we become experts at carrying things that no one else can see, right, we carry fear, and a lot of times we're walking around carrying grief and shame. We carry these stories that we've told ourselves about who we have to be in order to be loved, to be accepted, or to be successful, and if we're not careful, those stories can become so familiar that we mistake them for who we actually are. You know, my mom has so many great sayings. I think maybe it's a Dutch thing. There's so many that actually don't even translate into English. But one of hers that I recall often is that if you wear a mask long enough, it becomes your face. And I didn't really understand what she meant entirely until twenty eighteen. You've heard me talk about that season of my life before I was deeply depressed, and I guess it would be called acutely depressed, right, And every morning I'd cry in the car on the way back to work. I would pull into the parking lot at IMDb or the local NBC station in LA where I worked, and I would look in the mirror and wipe my tears and try and give myself a little pep talk and breathe and put all my makeup and walk inside, smile, interview people, laugh, do my job, try and be not a bummer. And then I would get back into my car and cry and listen to sad music all the way home, climb into bed before seven o'clock and hope that if I could just fall asleep, the pain would go away for a little while. And if you looked at my life from the outside, you would have never known. On Instagram, I was smiling, and I was wearing cute outfits, and I was covering NBA and WNBA games, and I was interviewing incredible people. But I remember sitting on my couch one day realizing that the gap between who I was and who I was pretending to be had become almost unbearable. Because at the time, I thought hiding was protecting me, and looking back, I don't think it was. Maybe I wasn't ready to share that chapter publicly, but I also think I underestimated people's capacity to meet me with compassion instead of judgment. And maybe you've experienced your own version of that gap in some way. Maybe what you're hiding is anxiety or a chronic illness, or a relationship that's falling apart, or grief, addiction, financial stress. Maybe you're a caretaker, or you're the one that plans everything and holds it together, and for once you just want to be the one that's not capable in your family. Maybe you're just simply exhausted trying to be the version of yourself that you think everyone else expects, or you've gone through a season like that. Whatever it is hiding always comes at a cost, and our guest today knows that cost so intimately, for millions of people, Jamie Lin Sigler will always be Meto soprano, the daughter we watched growing up on one of the greatest television shows ever made. But while the world saw a young actress living out a dream, Jamie was quietly navigating a reality almost no one knew about. At just twenty years old, she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and for years she believed that if anyone found out, everything she had worked for would disappear. So she kept going. She smiled, and she worked, and she showed up. All the while she carried the exhausting weight of pretending that she was okay, Until one day she realized something profound. The illness wasn't the only thing causing her pain. The silence and the shame of hiding it was just.
Speaker 2: To think about all of the extra layer of suffering that I placed upon myself because I didn't want anybody to know I have this, Like I all of the help that I never opened myself up to because of the shame I felt around having a mess. I was just like, I can't I can't do this anymore. I can't live like this anymore. I don't deserve to. I need to see how life can be a different way.
Speaker 1: Listening to Jamie, and especially reading her beautiful memoir and So it Is, I found myself unexpectedly emotional. Not just because of what she endured, although it is extraordinary, But what moved me was her refusal to give up on the thing that she loved. If you read the book, you'll understand what I'm saying. Jamie has this undeniable calling to perform, and when her diagnosis changed her body, she could have believed that that chapter of her life was over, but instead she did something so much harder. She accepted that she couldn't answer her calling in the same way she always had, and then she found a new way to answer it. And I think that's a lesson that's far bigger than acting. Life changes all of us. Bodies change, relationships and careers evolve, dreams get interrupted. The question isn't whether the path will change. The question is whether we'll mistake a detour for a dead end. Jamie didn't, and she also discovered something beautiful on the other side of telling the truth.
Speaker 2: We can feel so isolated in our pain because we feel like it will just connect us from everyone. But what I've learned is sharing my pain has connected me to everyone.
Speaker 1: The things she feared would isolate her became the very thing that connected her most deeply to other people. Our conversation today isn't really about multiple sclerosis. It's about the mass that we wear, the stories that Shane convinces us to believe, and what becomes possible when we finally tell the truth about who we are. It's time to question everything with Jamie Lynd Siegler. So, Jamie, I was looking at some of your messy episodes. It's the podcast you share with Christina Applegate, and one of them is called stop talking about It for a minute, and it made me laugh because it was such an honest way of saying, this is not the only thing I want to be talking about. So before we get into your full story, when you are tired of being profound or inspirational, what is your favorite completely unserious thing about you?
Speaker 2: And why? Do I think? It's reality TV? It's one hundreds of It was on the tip of my tongue. It's let's talk Bravo. Really, yeah, you know, I've been a fan of reality television and Bravo specifically for so long, Like I've watched from season one of all of these shows. I think it's it's a couple of reasons. One, I think it's like trauma drama at a safe distance, you know what I mean. But I also I find that people in general and in life, we were performative every day, right We're putting on a face for people, and many of these women put on a face for the camera, and that's just very natural. It's what we do. We want to present ourselves to be a certain way. But then there's always these just real, raw human moments that all of a sudden just get stripped down. It's like they forget the cameras are there, and I think it's so brave of these people to let us in. But it just it makes you feel so the when it's the fluff and when it's the unseerious. I don't know, it just reminds you that you can be that way too in life a little bit. I don't know. I think reality television I love seeing people's arcs, but it also can feel like it's just sort of the background of noise. I don't know. I just I enjoy it for so many reasons.
Speaker 1: And is it all of the shows like Housewives, Summer House correct, all of them, all of them.
Speaker 2: I can get down with all of them. I don't consider myself an expert on many things, but Bravo shows I can throw down with anyone.
Speaker 1: I so appreciate you sharing this because I'm the same, oh good, and it's like the outlier aspect of my personality.
Speaker 2: No one would guess it, and I'm kind of the same for you. Kind of yeah. I mean, I think if you if you talk to me for like more than fifteen minutes, it'll come up somehow. But yes, I think there's definitely a side of me that people have gotten to know and might be surprised to know that how much I love I'm not like a cinophile, Like I'm not watching like great classic movies. I'm watching episodes of Bravo that I've probably seen ten times, and I'm still enjoying it just as much. After listening to the episode, I was thinking, do I call you Jamie Lynn or do I call you James? You call me Jamie for share, okay?
Speaker 1: And because when you were younger, your agents thought your middle name made you sound more professional.
Speaker 2: Yes, Jamie Siegler just didn't sound like a star. I guess.
Speaker 1: Did that shift in names sort of feel like the beginning of the industry seeing you as a certain entity or in a certain way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting because my first real, real professional job was the Sopranos, And as you can imagine, on one hand, that's incredible, how lucky, how amazing, but also how overwhelming. There was no ease into this business, ease into fame, ease into sort of getting to know who I was and how I could carry myself. I was really thrust into the big leagues and I was very green and an experience. So yes, that was just one tiny piece of me feeling like an impostor and I didn't quite know how to navigate Hollywood.
Speaker 1: It was one of the most like visceral parts of the book. I thought, like the first third when you're writing about how you're trying to find yourself, and there was a man named Dieter that you write about, and I don't know what his profession.
Speaker 2: Was was he was the president of the Wilhelmina modeling agency. He was a big fricking deal.
Speaker 1: And so you're talking to him and he's telling you basically like you need to look like a star. You're not ready to be a star yet, like we need to turn you into a which is sort of like the language that you would think like from movies, but it was actually happening with you know, and to be honest, it felt compassionate, like it felt like he cared.
Speaker 2: It felt like he wanted it for me me. And so also I was incredibly insecure and had a terrible narrator that went along in my head with me through my life. So it was almost like this very big, powerful man was confirming the things that I felt within me, but he was going to show me the way out. So anytime I had encounters like that, I wasn't angry. It was almost like yeah, I know, like, yeah, please show me the way. So I was so you know, vulnerable to like anything that anybody would tell me because I felt so ill equipped to navigate how to be in Hollywood and to be a star.
Speaker 1: It was so interesting reading about it because so much of what you shared of having an eating disorder and you had a nose job that you ended up regretting, and it was so much of what almost every teenage girl feels except for yours, was so heightened. How do you look back on that fifteen year old?
Speaker 2: You know? That was probably the biggest part of my healing in writing this, was having forgiveness for that fifteen year old and having like compassion for her. Up until very recently, I've just beaten myself up for so long about so many the choices that I made, and I never looked at myself as like young and innocent and normal, you know. I just really looked at myself like, uh, she just can't do the right thing. And so to be able to kind of go back through your life and almost see yourself as like the lead in your movie, you know, and if you think about any movie and you see the mistakes, but you see the journey and you see what they learned through all of it, and you root for them and you can be like, ah, don't do it, but you see what life gave them through that experience. I was really able to get that, especially for that young girl, for just just feeling for her, having her pain feel seen and validated, and that it wasn't in her head, that it wasn't her fault, and acknowledging what a big thing she was trying to navigate. Why also just being a teenager and that being hard in itself, you know, So it was I kind of broke this book for that girl and all of the pain and all of the insecurity that she felt and carried alone for so long.
Speaker 1: You've been on a journey of finding peace and compassion. Have you been able to find that compassion over time or was there anything in particular you did that you felt was really helpful?
Speaker 2: You know, I think it's and I've tried in the book to really take you along with me on all of the sort of moments and pieces of inspiration or you know, people that have taught me things throughout life that sort of have gotten me where I am. I wouldn't say it's like one moment. Working on yourself is really hard. I have had a privilege of having a lot of time and space to be able to do that. I think living with MS has been it's kind of the blessing. One of the blessings of having it is that it's called me back to myself and made me pay attention to myself instead of sort of bulldozing forward and bypassing feelings and emotions and experiences and not wanting to deal with them. I really think had I not had MS, that's how I would have gone through my life until something you know, happened and would have forced me to do that. So, you know, I just think that there's it's just been this kind of gradual undoing. I've had big aha moments, like when I met our friend Ryan and he taught me about a course in miracles with for me felt like something that I could connect to, something that could give me my feet on the ground, a foundation of faith. There's so many ways for people to find that that just and to be mine, but just sort of being open to life being another way. And what I will say about all the things that have helped me shift my perspective and helped me. It's not like any of my circumstances changed once I found those things to help me. It's just my perspective shift. Yeah, And that, I think, more than anything, is what I hope that people can get from that, the possibility for themselves, because pain is inevitable. Life is going to continue to bring you experiences that are there to make you grow and evolve. But the story that we tell ourselves about that pain, the story that we tell ourselves about the experience of who we are because of it and who they are, that's what we're real suffering lies, and that's where our real power lies. To rewrite that. We don't have to be stuck in suffering. We can alchemize our pain into something more. And for decades I didn't know how to do that. But in the past, you know, five six, seven years, I've really committed to that, and it was really the drive to write this memoir and to put it out. It's not about me. I have plenty of love and validation in my life. My pain has been seen and validated by everyone that I know and care about. I want people to see themselves in my story and think if she feels so comfortable sharing these deep, dark, painful parts of herself. Why can't I?
Speaker 1: Wow, I think that's so powerful. I saw parts of myself in your story throughout the whole book, and we've had incredibly different life experiences, so I do feel people are going to feel that. And it was almost a permission slip, because sometimes it's like it feels embarrassing to be, oh my gosh in pain that way.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is these are these are the stories that I was the most embarrassed about, the most shameful about, the things that I thought no one would love me, no one would accept me if they ever knew about this, which one was the hardest to write. I think everything about my first marriage was really difficult. I felt like such a cliche. I felt like such a loser. I felt like such a crazy person, you know, like sometimes you've have these toxic relationships in your life that literally make you feel like you're crazy. And that was really difficult. Also because I didn't want to make my ex one dimensional, like he wasn't all bad, you know, they obviously there were things about him that made me feel safe and loved and secure. To spend five and a half years with him to marry him, even though I was very young and innocent and naive, and so I really wanted to be conscious, you know, in writing this book. This wasn't about a takedown of anyone. This was about sort of freeing myself from the stories that have held me down. And I had a girlfriend tell me that one of the gifts of expressing your vulnerability, whether it be in a book or any medium, it doesn't have to be on a grand scale, is that you no longer have to carry your pain alone. And when you do that and other people see themselves in it, it just it lightens everything. I did a book signing a couple of weeks ago here in New York, and it was like seventy five eighty women, all who had read the book, none of which I'd known, and I'd never been in a room like that, and they were all just so open and ready to share everything that they've been through and all of their pain. And it was just so beautiful to see people ready to free themselves of that. And so if my sharing my deep pain allowed them to do that, a what a gift. It felt bigger than me. It felt like this was something I had to do again, not for me, but as part of my service in the universe, you know.
Speaker 1: And what an ode to your capacity to be able to hold everything you hold on your own and to step in a room of eighty women who wanted to share theirs nicks.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It's I try to remind people and remind myself. You know that this is a place I never thought I would ever be able to be. You know, I come from a line of women where like, suck it up, put on your lipstick, never let them see you sweat, don't let them see your pain. That's your weakness, Be careful of women, don't trust anyone. And now I'm like open hearted, hard in the sleeve, and it just feels. It feels so much better. It feels I've never felt so confident. And I think it's just because I've I'm living in my truth and not hiding any parts of myself because I don't feel I need to anymore.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I got chills when you talked about the women and your family, because you're brave enough to break the cycle, which is really hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, But you know what was really cool. I was nervous for my mom to read the book because I mean, look, she's reading things about me and my perspective that I've never shared with her because I didn't know how without feeling like I was going to hurt her feelings or it would be you know, misinterpreted. And one of the reactions she had when she first read the book was she said, I'm really proud of myself. I did the best I could with raising you with what I had been through. And I also think that I was able to allow my mom's pain to be seen at her difficult especially child like to be acknowledged. I don't think she's ever had that before. So it was also a really beautiful gift that came from all of this is for my mom to feel the pride that she deserves to feel as a mother. I think, you know, as moms, I think we can all feel like we're not good enough, or we could have done this or that better. I go through that daily, you know, in my mind. But I think when you care, that shows that you're a good mom. And so I'm really glad that I was able to give her that opportunity for her to see how amazing of a mom she was, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when I finished your memoir, it felt like an exhale.
Speaker 2: Oh and the title.
Speaker 1: Is and so it is, and you used to write it in sharpie yes on your wrist.
Speaker 2: It's tattooed now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so your title is a nod to an affirmation that you made, that you settled about the things that happen in our lives that we can't change. And you said it took you thirty years to find that level of self acceptance. What does it feel like now that you're no longer having to perform in your day to day life.
Speaker 2: I just feel like I finally know who I am. Yeah, I finally know. I feel safe to express myself in every way. I feel safe to advocate for myself. I feel safe to make mistakes, to say I don't know, to not be perfect. And I think with all of that, it just makes me feel like I walk with more faith now and trust. It doesn't mean that difficult things might not be around the corner. I was in the middle of writing this book when bo got sick, when my son was sick, and which allowed the book to sort of even take a whole different shape because it begins and ends with him. So, I mean I thought I was like in my like closing the loop, like ready to like share, and then the biggest, most traumatic thing in my life land it in my lap. So I don't know what's around the corner, but I move forward with faith, knowing that I know who I am, I know my tribe, I know I have people to call upon, and I'm not afraid to do so. And then I just don't have to go through this life alone. We're not meant to do that. We can feel so isolated in our pain and so afraid to share because we feel like it will disconnect us from everyone. But what I've learned is sharing my pain has connected me to everyone. It's the opposite. If I met.
Speaker 1: Jamie at twenty two at a party, would you have been a character or would you have been a version of yourself?
Speaker 2: I would have thought I was me, But looking back, I think I was always playing a character. I was always trying to find myself. I mean I always I was always kind. That was always the most important thing. Like I love people, I love connecting with people. I would have looked you deep, been your eyes and giving you a genuine smile and loved you from the start and been your friend no matter what. But I would not have shared with you any of my pain. I would not have shared with you I don't feel good in this outfit even or I don't feel like I look good or does he like me? Like I just never I never shared what was going on in my head because I just assumed it was would be a turnoff to people. So in some ways a character, But in many ways I thought authentic because I wasn't even sort of admitting what I was going through to myself. Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I remember in twenty sixteen when your announcement or the headline came out that you told the world that you had MS. I was working at Entertainment Tonight Online, so I remember the newsroom that day.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I remember thinking the only other person I had remembered talking about it was Montell Williams, and I think it was like nineteen ninety nine, and I had heard reverberations of it. I wasn't really old enough to understand. And then Terry gar shared hers in the early two thousands, But you were the first young, famous, working actor that I had seen talk about an MS diagnosis simultaneous to navigating your own career and dreams and life and love and eventually motherhood. I think you represented a whole new generation of actors that were managing chronic illness while navigating careers. What led up to you sharing publicly in twenty sixteen, that makes me emotional.
Speaker 2: Why. I don't think I saw it that way really at that time. No, it was just what led me to It was I just I couldn't bear holding the secret anymore. Everyone around me, my close circle for a number of years prior, were really you know, they didn't push me, but every once in a while they pick jab why don't you even if it was at work, They're like, why don't you just tell people at work? You're making it so much harder for yourself. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, you don't understand. You don't understand. I would always just feel like people didn't get it. I knew that it would be the end of my life. I knew it would be the end of my career, and they just didn't get it. And I had a two year old son at the time, and you know, at that point I was having to sort of, you know, explain to him, not why mommy couldn't run or mommy needed to sit sometimes, but just just basically saying, matter of factly, mommy can't run, so mommy, mommy needs to just be the pitcher when we play baseball, or the goalie when we play hockey, or mommy needs to sit down sometimes. Like he didn't need the explanation at that time, but I thought about, Okay, as he gets older and he's going to start asking why, am I going to tell him why? But that he can't tell anyone that he has to hold this secret for me, Like what is that teaching my son? What is that teaching him about the world. Also, the MS at that point had you know, progressed enough to a point where I couldn't hide it. It was very clear that something was going on with my body. I was dealing with some type of physical disability, even though I wasn't ready to say that I was disabled at the time because for some reason that label felt negative to me. I've been able, thankfully to you know, rearrange my thoughts and feelings around that. So all of those things were kind of coming to a head. And then one of my best friends, Lindsay, was seeing this hypnotist at the time for her own reasons, and much like many of my other friends, who have just thought about me?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: She brought me up to him one day and said, you know, one of my best friends lives with MS. She lives with daily pain, Like, do you think you could help her with that? And he said absolutely, I'd love to talk to her. So I would go see anyone, anyone that could possibly help me, I would go see. So I remember I drove up to his house in Santa Monica, parked my car, and he was waiting for me at the top of his driveway and I looked down at the ground and I walked up to him, and I immediately before even saying like, Hi, how are you anything, he was like, why are you looking at the ground? Why won't you look at me when you walk? And it was so confronting, but I don't know if it was just his presence, his energy. I wasn't angry at it. I wasn't I didn't feel anything negative around it. I felt then immediately like I had to answer honestly, and I said I don't like to watch people watch me walk, and he said, okay, after you and I remember walking in front of him and I started instinctively doing that thing where I would hold my breath and try to walk as normal and straight as I could, because that's what I would do. I wanted to always present as better than I ever was, you know, never show people exactly how I was feeling or how disabled I was. I'm going to try to look better for everyone. I walked into his office and he pointed to this like giant, old leather lazy boy chair, and I sat in an across from him, and he said, you feel so much shame about the fact that you have MS, and I was just speechless. I never even considered the fact that I was embarrassed that I had this, That I thought that my having a mess and people knowing that I had it meant that I was inherently bad or I did something wrong to deserve it, not realizing that that actually was my way of thinking. I subconsciously felt all of those things. So it was almost like he opened the door of the way that I needed to really address this. What I really needed to see was like, forget the MS, like your feelings around it need to be healed. All of my focus prior to that was like how do I fix the body, How do I fix the walking? How do I fix my leg? How do I make sure that I don't pee my pants. I never thought about addressing me and my heart and my emotions around living with a chronic illness. It just didn't I don't know if I thought I deserved it, you know, I thought it was possible. It was just never a part of any type of healing that I considered. So we talked for like ten fifteen minutes. He put me under a hypnosis. I don't know what happened, and then when I came out, he said, Okay, I'd love to see you again in like a week or two. We'll make a plan. I remember I got in my car and it was like you ever have moments in your life where you were like so incredibly present, Like sometimes a trauma will do that to you, you know what I mean, where you're like like you can't go into the future, you can't go in the past, You're just kind of floating. If I got in my car, I didn't even look at my phone, I didn't turn on the music, and I started driving home and all of a sudden, I remember the first thing I passed was the Sony lot where I've gone on auditions many times, and I started getting these memories of when I would go on these auditions. Let's say my audition was at two PM. I would get there at one o'clock. I didn't have a handicapped blacker then because nobody knew, so I was like, you know, try to circle and circle and find the closest I could, and then I would, you know, pretend I was on my phone walking through the lot and like walk a couple of steps and then rest, and then walk a little bit more and rest. Because nobody knew, I didn't ever think to ask for help of a closer parking spot or a golf cart ride. So I'm walking all across the slot to the audition to manage my body so that when I get there, I'm not limping, so I'm not given away, and just to think about all of the extra layer of suffering that I placed upon myself because I didn't want anybody to know I have this, Like I all of the help that I never opened myself up to because of the shame I felt around having a mess like that was just one example. And then all of a sudden, just like all of these memories came flooding back, and I was just like, I can't I can't do this anymore. I can't live thick this anymore. I don't deserve to. I need to see how life can be a different way. And if that means that I don't act anymore, then I don't act anymore like I I I can't feel shameful on top of already what I'm feeling from MS.
Speaker 1: I just want to add one thing, because if people, if people read your book, they'll hear.
Speaker 2: How much you love acting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so to say to yourself, like, I can't live like this anymore, it's okay if I don't act. I think it's actually like a weightier moment than people may understand, because you talk about so often being on stage and like it's the only time that you weren't in pain that you felt most like yourself.
Speaker 2: It was clear to me that from a young age you had a calling. Thanks for saying that, Yeah, yeah, I didn't even think about that how much. In the book I do reference that, I know what, SO felt that so deeply throughout the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: I was asked to sing in this benefit the other night. My friend Craig Thomas, he's one of the creators of How I Met Your Mother, his son was born with a heart defect that caused many developmental issues with his son. And there's a doctor who has really been instrumental in their son's healing and journey, and the benefit concert was to raise money for his research. Every year they do it and they invite guest stars that were on How I Met Your Mother, and I was once on it, so they were asked me this year. Anyway, I say this all to say that I got on stage the Saturday night and I sang three songs, and my body showed up for me. I stood the whole time with ease. I was vibrating. I was happy. I was doing something that like I love that I don't do anymore because of the grief I have around not being able to perform the way I and said whatever all those different reasons. And my kids came and they've never seen me like that, They've never seen me perform. And when I got off this stage, my eight year old, who's not like Bo. My older one, like Bo's very emotional and very expressive like Jack, my little one is just kind of very like you know, he hugs from the side. He's just more reserved, kind of like my husband and he was like, Mom, I have never seen you happy before. Like I think he was trying like he had never seen me like that before. He goes, I was shaking watching you, and it just it makes me feel alive when I perform. And I think it's taken me a lot of time to accept and understand that I can still be a performer along with this. But you broke the seal. Yeah, yeah, and sometimes you have to, you know. And I think that that's what other people I hope, So I hope. So I think that's also what I thought about a lot in the book, is this. I hope that I hope that any other young person in any field understands that we all have to make pivots in life, you know sometimes, and a diagnosis doesn't mean that your dreams are over, just means you have to find a different way. And I've it's it's been a slow journey of you know. When I finally did come out about it, I still was operating like I used to, where Okay, now people know, but I'm not a problem. Don't worry. I can do it. We can work around this. Like I could do a couple of steps where I look able bodied and I don't blame anyone. Everyone was very supportive of what I felt comfortable doing. I still wanted to seem like an able bodied person. I didn't want people to know I had MS. I'm playing a character they don't have MS. We can't show this right. And it's been over the last decade of you know, me being public with it, me finally getting to a place just this year where now every job I go into, every audition, every meeting, I'm like, I have MS. I walk with a limp, I'm physically disabled. If you're okay with that, great, but I cannot perform a body and give you the best performance that I can give. So as long as you're okay with me walking the way I walk and moving the way I move, great. I know it's not going to work for everyone, and I have to accept that and where you're at. But it's where I'm at because I can't do it the way I had been doing it for so long, where basically I was so concerned with getting through the physical part of the day and not getting the freedom and the enjoyment of acting anymore. And so again, while that limits me, it's the only way that I can do it. And to me how I can really represent others like me? You know you can. People have been receptive. Yes, yes, I just did a couple of episodes on one of my favorite shows, it's called Tires on Netflix with Shane Gillis, and I told the director John McKeever like before we started, I was like, listen, I have it. He's like, I know, what's cool. We don't have to talk about it. You're you and I did it. I did the role. We never talked about it, and it was so beautiful and amazing and just another moment that I never imagined.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I never imagined that I would be in a comedy and be improving with some of these like cool stand ups and all this stuff, and as me in this body. It's been really incredible. And you know, again, ten years ago, I thought that I was making this announcement in my career would be over. And to see me still, you know, pounding the pavement and doing it since then, I feel a lot of pride about that. How do you feel about you know?
Speaker 1: When I worked in entertainment news, I saw how when there would be certain headlines that would repeat over and over again, they became somebody's story. Yeah, it was like the rest of them sort of like floated away in the media's eyes. Have you thought about MS being your story and how do you think about that?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm so glad you brought that up. So that was also one of the things that was holding me back from talking about it because I felt like MS would enter into the room before I did, you know what I mean, People saw me like, oh, she has MS, you know, and then like looking for how it affected me. I think I was projecting a lot of my own judgments on myself onto other people and the world. But this is the entertainment industry. And even when I was promoting my book when it first came out, every first question would be like you hid your MS or something, and I was like, oh, I feel like that's such a small part of the book, Like it's not about MS, you know what I mean. That just happened to be one of the things that happened to me awlong in my life and one of the things that has allowed me to grow and find myself. But yes, I mean, and even as recently as when I got to play a doctor with MS on Grey's Anatomy, which was incredible and amazing and like so grateful for them for me to tell this story and to play this woman in her power in her field that had to pivot herself to doing robotic surgeries, you know, because of the way that MS has affected her. It was so much about that, and even with my podcast Messy that I actually had to take a step back. I even called Christina, I called my reps and I said, I'm starting to feel like MS is my currency with the world, and I can't just have that be that. I have to feel like I can go on interviews, I can play roles that aren't about MS, like because that's not my day to day life. That's not I can go a week without talking about the disease. Everyone around me, you know, everyone in my family. This is just part of me. It's not who I am. It doesn't define me. And so I've had to learn and accept that that's just sometimes what will lead an interview. But then I try to just take the opportunity to remind people that this does not define me. But yes, it is one hundred percent been something that I've thought about, been concerned about, But in the end of the day, I cannot control it. I can only control how I feel about it and how I move forward with it, and it has been nice. With Messy in particular, I've been able to share in a really honest way that I've never been able to before, which I actually think really opened me up to be able to be as honest and raw in the book as I was able to be, because even when I talked about MS for a while, I still wanted to present as hirable and like I'm okay though, and so finally in the podcast, I was like, no, these people want the real, they want to be seen, they want to feel validated in their experience. So I'm like, really, just going to share how this affects me has just, I think just opened me up even more. And then I think even opened up me even more as an actress, because to feel comfortable in your skin, to feel comfortable in your truth, to feel authentic has really translated into my creativity as well.
Speaker 1: I also feel you and Christina have a dynamic that brings more out of one another.
Speaker 2: Yes, one hundred percent. One hundred percent.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine that she's given you some words and you've given her some words that you hold on to. Is there anything that comes to mind that she said to you that you really think about, or vice versa.
Speaker 2: I mean, I remember when we were starting the podcast and she was like, Jamie, We're going to be real. I'm going to talk about it all. I'm going to talk about everything that I'm feeling. And I was like, Okay, I will meet you where you're at. Let's go, let's do it. And it felt really liberating. And the thing about podcasting, right, it's just like us on a zoom on our little mic.
Speaker 1: So it's like, you forget if there was like millions or thousands of people listening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's kind of nice and to feel like to have that little tinge of like, oh god, everybody's just going to hear what we just talked about for an hour and then it's like, great, what do I have to hide anymore? It's really it felt like it was kind of like the last puzzle piece to this chapter of just me really just letting it all out there and being unafraid and unattached to any type of response.
Speaker 1: We spoke about the title of your book earlier, so it was actually the subtitle that stood out to me so much. It is a memoir of acceptance. And hope, And I felt like you were saying, you wrote this book to turn a page.
Speaker 2: Was that write at all? Yes, one hundred percent? What were you turning? I'm able to sort of acknowledge everything that I've been through, have such forgiveness and gratitude for it all, and understand that in this particular moment in my life, I can pick and choose what I want to take with me and what I want to just leave behind. And so that turning of that page, it's like I can leave those stories that I've told myself about who I am and what I am and being good enough or not good enough behind, and I can take the lessons and I can take the experience, and I can take the reminders too. Even in my deepest, darkest moments, like in retelling the story, I see the little blessings that were around me, and I see where it led me, all the sliding door moments, and I just I can move forward again now, like I was saying, of just of knowing that that is life and also knowing that I believe in. This is the words that I use, and we can all use different words and ways of talking about it, but like God will put me in front of the road that I'm meant to go down, but I'm not going to go down it until I have the experiences and the knowledge to walk that path. And so knowing that I will not miss anything that's for me, but that I'm not going to do it until I'm ready, and just trusting that, like I'm I'm in school still, you know, but what I mean, and it might not be my time, it might not be yet. My husband's favorite thing to tell me always is your story isn't over yet, and it's and it's a true reminder, he put it. I'm like one of my you know, moments where I was sort of feeling down and hopeless about things, he had a little posted on my pillow that just said that, and your story is not over. And I know. There's something about post its that are such good reminders. I don't know if it's a bright color. It's just feels because they're very intentional, right, it just feels like I need to remember this, whether it's an appointment or something like that. You're right, post its are They're very specific and pointed, and they're like this matters.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a note to self. I have them on my bathroom mirror, and I think about love it some reason.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I loved reading about your relationship with James Gandolphini. I think anybody who's a Sopranos fan would love reading about it. But also when I was ten, I had a friend who you met, Carly, and her family had an inn at the Emmys for some reason, and they had three girls in their family and each girl got to bring a friend. So I went to the Emmys and my dad loved the Sopranos and I was too young to really be watching. I was ten, but I would like try and stay up late and watch and hide and I would pretend I was asleep.
Speaker 2: So I love James Gandolfini.
Speaker 1: And at the end of the show, I ran up to him and I was like, I didn't know his real name, and I was like, Tony, Tony, I love your show, and in like the accent, he was like, how old are you? And I was like I'm ten, and he goes, what the fuck are you doing watching my show?
Speaker 2: I told you that's what he would say. That's so fun, and I was like, you really are, Tony. It was like a perfect moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I loved the way you described him, It just there was so much love and admiration there. It's all I feel when you bring up his name, when his face pops in my head. Why not feel like you were comfortable telling him about your diagnosis because that felt meaningful time.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, because from the beginning, I just felt like he always was watching me, but in a really beautiful way, you know, like I just felt like I can remember moments where you know, I was in my own head like kind of looking down the ground, thinking about whether it was the scene or what was going on, and I would, you know, then you know, come out of my haze and look around, and he would be watching me. He observed me, and I didn't share myself openly or honestly. Then I thought I did a good job of hiding it, but not to him. So there were there were little just moments throughout the show where he would, you know, even just be a good kid, you good kid, And it was it was almost like he was laying the foundation work for me to eventually when I was bubbling over and just needed to tell someone, him being the place to land because he had been watching me for so long and knowing that something was up but too elegant to pry or push, respected me enough to let me come to him. I guess I don't know if he ever thought I would. But you know, in that one moment that I talk about in the book where my life felt like it was imploding, the MS was really starting to present itself. I was going through a divorce and not telling anyone. I was getting called from set that I wasn't doing a good job acting and I wasn't telling anybody but anything that was going on that He finally just pulled me aside and was like, something is up. And then I just unloaded all of it on him, And I remember his first reaction was, You're just a kid. And he always reminded me of that. He always tried to remind me like, you don't have to know it all, you don't have to have it all figured out. You're so young, and this is so big. I remember him one time, I don't know where we were. We were at I don't know if it was an award show or whatever, and camera's red carpet whatever, and I was doing my thing and I came off and he was like, this is a lot for you being the young girl on this big show. That's a lot for you, and that was it. And it was just such a small but significant acknowledgement of that. I didn't even understand or ever have the space or thought to acknowledge for myself of what I was having to carry at that time. And he always he always knew it and made it clear that he acknowledged it, which he didn't have to. I mean, he was the star of the show. He had so much on his plate and there was always room for him and space for him to support me.
Speaker 1: It makes it even more impressive that that's sort of the type of leader that he wanted to be.
Speaker 2: I just I can't say enough amazing things. I mean, it's I don't know if this is always the case, but it's just so rare to have such a talent like that, like big, big talent. He had no desire to be a star, you know, was just it was. It was conflicting for him to be as famous as he was because he loved acting and had such respect for the craft, but like did not want to be acknowledged outside of that. You know, he wanted to do a good job and put out good work and then disappear. But then also to be so kind. He really took his role as the leader of that show seriously. Yeah, and he was the best. Do you take any pieces of Meadow with you?
Speaker 1: Did you feel, because there's moments in the book where you talk about like almost forgetting that you're not her or that he's not your father. Yeah, and then you pop back into reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean I played her for ten years, right, so, and I created her in very many ways, Like she really in the beginning came from me, Like my sassy at self was through Meadow in that pilot and you know, laying my accent on thick and like fighting with my mom and fighting with my dad and rolling my eyes at my brother, like that was all very natural to me. But then obviously as the show evolved and our lives were very different, she became kind of this like alter ego for me to escape into. She was confident, she was smart, she was self assured, she expressed herself, she advocated for herself in ways that I had no idea how to, and so she was sort of like this escape for me. But then also I loved Jim and Edie and Robert so much, and there was such an alchemy amongst the four of us, and when we'd do our scenes together. And also I just like there were times when I just like I wanted Jim to be my dad. I wanted it to be real. I wanted the moment and they did. They felt very real. It was it was you know, part of the spark and amazingness of the show was that we just we loved these characters so much and we all rooted for them in our own ways, even though they were pretty despicable human being anyways, but we were we understood them and we love them. And so yes, I in my body, my when my body and my mind and my eyes see someone from the Sopranos, that's family. Like that is the same reaction I get when I see my blood family.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. Yeah, okay, I'm gonna do some quick rapid fig with you. What is MESSI or your purse, your group chat, your notes, app or your emotions?
Speaker 2: Oh my group chat? What is your current hyperfixation? The fact that my hair is falling out? Oh no, that's tough. It is And I don't know what is it from the testosterone? Is it perimenopause? Like I don't know what it is, but it's It's falling out a reality show.
Speaker 1: You could give a ted talk on any housewife or summer house this year. The most meadow thing about you my accent, your favorite metal line listen to mister mob Boss.
Speaker 2: The most New York thing about you? Pizza forever.
Speaker 1: Now that you're a Texan, what's the most Texan thing about you?
Speaker 2: I say, y'all. Who from the Sopranos would be the most fun at a dinner party? Rob Eiler my best friend? Or I eat a toturo though she's a close second.
Speaker 1: Which Sopranos character would have the most unhinged dating profile?
Speaker 2: I need a deturo? Janis for sure?
Speaker 1: Who would young Jamie be shocked that you became friends with Lance Bass? What's a dream that you're glad didn't come true?
Speaker 2: Singing like being a pop star meaning, oh we have to talk about we didn't get tired? I know, I know.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's as bad as you thought it was. I appreciate it. It felt really bad for me. Your most underrated form of self care meditating? What is something that every woman should try once.
Speaker 2: A one night stan? Wow? I love that.
Speaker 1: I think that's what everybody thinks and doesn't say on the podcast, so thank you for saying it.
Speaker 2: Just just find a hot guy and just go without thinking and never want to see him again. Like I had one and he was amazing, and I look back at it fondly and I have no regrets and I don't care where he is.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: What is a book you read that changed your life? Something you think everybody should read? The Alchemist?
Speaker 1: And then if you will grab the question Everything card game and pick one question.
Speaker 2: Who has influenced you the most and what did you learn from them? Our friend Ryan Weiss really how beautiful and.
Speaker 1: I learned how to see myself in the world in a completely different way. Jamie Lynn Sigler Flash Siggy Slash.
Speaker 2: Jamie, thank you, thank you so much. You're amazing. You're amazing. Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Now The Seconds.
Speaker 2: As the
Speaker 3: Fam