Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong's Joe, Katty arm Strong.
Speaker 2: And Jetty and He Armstrong and Getty Strong. I don't want to be breaking up family. So the only way you don't.
Speaker 3: Break up the family is you keep them together, and you have to send them.
Speaker 2: All back there you go.
Speaker 4: Trump, in response to the inevitable question, you say you wanted to poor people, Are you going to separate families?
Speaker 5: Always asked from the point of view of it being bad, even though he ran on that got elected and sixty percent of people approve of it. So I just drives me nuts.
Speaker 4: Whenever we talk about this, I'm reminded of my youthful idea of living in Germany to work and study and stuff like that. Because I studied German, thought that might be interesting. And it became clear that there were severe limitations in getting into the country than staying in there and working was very, very difficult. You had to get permits and stuff like that, so I and I accepted that. I thought, well, that's unfortunate, but it is what it is, the idea that I would go to Germany sneak in and then when they say, hey, you don't have authorization to be here, and you certainly don't have authorization to work me saying how are you gonna separate me and my family? And what would the Germans say to that, Well, they'd say it in German, so you wouldn't understand it, folks. But what it would mean essentially is be quiet and get back in line.
Speaker 2: It's not our problem.
Speaker 5: We got a bunch of clips, but I thought maybe the most important one that should have gotten a lot of attention but didn't from Trump was when he was asked about do you ran on retribution? And he said, I'm really looking to make our country successful. I'm not looking to go back into the past. I'm looking to make our country successful. Retribution will be through success. Okay, there's your hitler for you. There's your hitler, there's your there will never be another election again.
Speaker 2: Well, and he has made that point repeatedly.
Speaker 5: The retribution is how successful we're going to be.
Speaker 2: That lays it to rest. Well, it's such a good clickbaiting narrative.
Speaker 4: The lion liars in the media and Kristen Welker is their unholy princess.
Speaker 2: They just can't leave that to the narrative alone. Stop it.
Speaker 5: There are real problems with Trump quld making stuff up right. Yeah, all right, So back to Trump and Welker. A lot of people have enjoyed this clip. It's thirty seven, Michael. They are discussing January sixth.
Speaker 2: In general.
Speaker 6: Officials say that the order never came in for the National Arts on January sixth.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this about j six Josh.
Speaker 3: Wrote in a statement that he has destroyed all evidence.
Speaker 6: Let me ask you this about January sixth.
Speaker 3: I wish you could be a if you you know, you have such potential, if you could be just just non biased. You hurt yourself so badly. I'm telling you they deleted and destroyed all the evidence. Everyone knows it, and you sluff it off like it doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 6: No, I did it, deny it.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Listen, if I did it, you would be standing up in that chairs shouting at me, and you know what I do, I'd say, you got me.
Speaker 5: My main takeaway with that is, Okay, you're gonna ask him about January sixth again and try to get him to admit to something or whatever. Do you I assume, Kristin Walker, you don't like Trump and don't want him to have power and be elected.
Speaker 2: You're helping him. You're helping him.
Speaker 5: Yes, the majority of people are like whatever, move on to something else. I know a lot of super hardcore Trumpeters would love to talk about January sixth for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 2: But that's not where most of America is.
Speaker 4: Well, no, America saw it, and they had a choice between Trump and then Biden and then Harris and saying goodness said, we're not electing either one of them. So, yeah, he brings with him that baggage. But let's let's look to that. What are we accomplishing by relitigating it at this point? And Jack and I were both harshly critical of Trump then, and I have not changed my opinion of his activities on the day one ioda.
Speaker 2: I still condemn it.
Speaker 5: And yet here we are, excuse me, in the year twenty twenty four, with a hell of a lot on her plate.
Speaker 2: Let's get on it.
Speaker 4: So speing which Christin Welker, who again, I should have written out all of my various insulting adjectives I'd had in my head to use for her, because I find her obnoxious, smugly, one sided, and snotty.
Speaker 2: Oh just not a good person anyway. Ah, she brought up the.
Speaker 4: Federal minimum wage and clip thirty nine B.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you remember this, but during the debate in twenty twenty, I asked you if you would raise the minimum wage. You said you would consider it. And so my question for you is now that you are going back to the White House for these nineteen states that voted for you, are you going to raise the effects.
Speaker 3: It's a very low number. I will agree, it's a very low number. Let me give you the downside though. In California they raise it up to a very high number, and your restaurants are going out of business all over the place. The population is shrinking. It's had a very negative impact. But there is a level at which you could do it. Absolutely what is that level? Do you? I don't know. I mean, I really don't know. I can say this, you have a lot of businesses that are open and thriving because of the lower minimum wage. If you raise it too much, and you understand this, if California went crazy, they went crazy, and people the restaurants are closing, all of them, many more people are hurt.
Speaker 6: So I hear you saying similarly to sort of what you said in twenty twenty, will you consider.
Speaker 2: This something you're going to look at it.
Speaker 3: I'd want to speak to the governors. And the other thing that's very complicated about minimum wages is places are so different. Mississippi and al and great places are very different than New York or California. I mean in terms of the cost of living and other things. So it'd be nice to have just a minimum wage for the whole country, but it wouldn't work because you have places where it's very inexpensive to live, where a minimum wage, which is eight or nine dollars might be, you know, might have very much, very little effect because the cost of living in certain places is really low.
Speaker 2: This makes me so tired, I know.
Speaker 5: So, first of all, he's the leader of what is now the working Class Party, and raising the minimum wage polls.
Speaker 2: Well, it's unfortunate. I think with a.
Speaker 5: Five minutes of explanation, you could explain to a lot of people why it's not actually good for you to raise the minimum wage. But Trump realizes, you know, the party that he's leading. But even when he states to her there's a downside.
Speaker 2: To raising the min wage.
Speaker 5: She just completely blows that off and goes with the next question of obviously it would be good for everyone to raise the minimum wage. I feel like I should inject here from one of your Thomas swell so Well quotes on Twitter about the minimum wage, the minimum wage law is very cleverly misnamed. The real minimum wage is zero, and that is what many inexperienced and low skilled people receive as a result of legislation that makes it illegal to pay them what they're currently worth to an employer.
Speaker 4: Well said, very succinctly said Trump frustrates me always because he does just a half assed job of of explaining some of the principles that I hold dear.
Speaker 2: But you know, he is what he is. But the federal minimum wage.
Speaker 4: Is to call it irrelevant is to exaggerate how relevant it is. It is a complete non factor in anyone's life. It's a silly discussion. If states want minimum wages, they should pass them. There is, you know, with the exception of a couple like enslaved immigrants who are probably trying to escape right now, and I wish them well, there is nobody in America who is exchanging their labor for a wage that they are unwilling to exchange their labor for nobody. If you don't want to do a job at a particular wage, you will not take that job. The idea that the government can, somehow, especially the federal government, prop up some sort of minimum it's just it ignores everything that is the most fundamental about economics. It's just silly. It's a silly question. I mean it's it's pretty silly on the state level. On the federal level, it's completely ridiculous. Sat You're gonna have a minimum wage for Coonhuller, Kentucky. And what is that gonna do for the people in Seattle, for instance, or La Nothing? It's just dopey kristin Ohy.
Speaker 2: What's the main business in Coonhuller?
Speaker 4: Squirrel skinning, mostly squirrel peltsol, squirrel coats, squirrel hats.
Speaker 5: I'm making sell I make and sell frog gigging sticks. Oh, you're the jack of Jack's froggy. Yes, jack sticks are very pointy. My daddy used to tell me, boy, you go frog gigg and son. You don't have jack sticks, you might as well have popstickle stick.
Speaker 2: Eh.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I assume you stab the frogs or something. Let's see which what else do we want to play? I like where he calls her hostile and nasty. Yeah, let's play for you, Michael.
Speaker 3: The press has to straightened himself out, because honestly, it's lost all credibility based on the press. I should have gotten no votes, none, and yet I got the highest number ever. And the reason is because I'm able to go on a show even like yours, even though you're very hostile, I'm able to go on a show like yours.
Speaker 2: No you are.
Speaker 6: Hopefully you thought it was a fair interview. We covered a lot of policy grounds, which fair only in.
Speaker 3: That you allowed me to say what I said. But you know, the answers the questions are you know, asty.
Speaker 2: But look that's true.
Speaker 3: You know, you would think the press would like to see strongboarders, great education, are powerful military. So we have a country left and all these different things, and somehow they don't want to see that.
Speaker 4: As always, I wish I could, you know, be the fly or not the fly on the wall, but the voice in Trump's here and have him say, like you've pointed out, Jack many times, you ask every question from the perspective of liberal Americans.
Speaker 2: More than half the country is conservative.
Speaker 5: Ask a question from their perspective ones you might like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And on some specific issues like the deportation, there's polling that shows the vast majority it's in ease. It's a sixty to forty win for deporting illegals, right, So why why ask it from the point of view of the.
Speaker 4: Forty speaking of which she asked every single one of her immigration questions from the perspective of AOC pretending to cry in a parking lot mile away. The phoniness thirty one. He's talking about, you know, supporting people and you know both ends of the equator.
Speaker 3: You know, the people that have been treated very unfairly are the people that have been online for ten years to come into the country. And we're going to make it very easy for people to come in in terms of they have to pass the test. They have to be able to tell you what the statue of liberty is. They have to tell you a little bit about our country. They have to love our country. They can't come out of prisons. We don't want people that are in for murder. We have to get the criminals out of our country. And we got to do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're going to let the good people in, the smart people who we can use, and we're going to get rid of the murderers.
Speaker 2: But what about separating families? What the hell?
Speaker 7: Armstrong and see Armstrong and Getty show.
Speaker 2: We got this text out of nowhere.
Speaker 5: Do you know why hippies were petruli oil so blind people can hate them too?
Speaker 2: Wow, that's that's beautiful. Here's your freedom loving quote of the day.
Speaker 4: One of our beloved listeners sent this to us next to a big picture of Captain America, and it was Captain America saying this, And I understand this is a speech he gives to buck up Spider Man at one point during the movies, And I thought, boy, this is really eloquent for one of your one of your comic book movies. Did the script write or write write this? And I did a little digging and no, it's actually a very very close paraphrase of something Mark Twain said. Interesting, but I liked it so much I posted it up in the studio so I could glance at it now. And again, I will give you the Twain version, which only is only subtly.
Speaker 5: Different as opposed to Captain America. Okay, it does. It does lend him a little more gravitas.
Speaker 4: Well, unless you're fighting off a ma then I'd rather have a captain on my side than the scribe. Honestly love Captain America kicks ass, Twain incredibly eloquent. Captain America definitely stronger on the whoop ass front.
Speaker 5: If you're fighting the Winter Soldier, you want Captain America, not Mark Twain.
Speaker 4: I agree completely. Anyway, here's what Twain said. It's a little long, but I love it so much. Maybe we could work in a little email later on. Let men label you as they may. If you alone, of all the nation, decide one way, and that way be the right way. By your convictions of the right, You've done your duty, by yourself and by your country, holding up your head, for you have nothing to be ashamed of.
Speaker 5: It doesn't matter what the press says. It doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. It doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. Republics are founded on one principle above all else, the requirement that we stand up for what we believe in, no matter the odds or the consequences.
Speaker 2: When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move.
Speaker 4: Your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world world, no, you move. Mark fing Twain, that's two people understand, that's his middle name.
Speaker 5: That's really good stuff if it's the right cause or thing. Interestingly enough, and maybe I'll explain later why this happened. I was listening to a speech last night FBI recordings of Jim Jones down Guyana, before he had all those people kill themselves, the Jim Jones cult, that whole thing. He gave a very similar speech there, as he had convinced all those numb nuts that the world was out to get them and they were doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: I'm very similar speech. I had no idea you'd heard that.
Speaker 4: I knew in my heart of hearts you would come up with some counter argument against that thought.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to know it.
Speaker 4: It just you just have to have you just have to just you know, it works when the cause is right right. But that's irrelevant an as an observation of society, it's one hundred correct as a principle. That some people employ it wrongly is irrelevant.
Speaker 2: You're right. I think it's a moral principle. Both are true. Isn't that a head scratcher? It is anyway, mailbag.
Speaker 4: Drop usnowl yourmail bag at Armstrong and Getdy dot com. Uh oh Madden Honolulu with a really interesting note about the Honolulu getaway pad that those Chinese spies who infiltrated New York's government pad. But his sign off is he says, our one more Thing yesterday on price controls and gouging should be mandatory listening to graduate from high school.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the kind words.
Speaker 4: You can grab that wherever you like to get podcasts Armstrong and Getty One more Thing, you know.
Speaker 5: Listen to it out again, speaking of counterintuitive price gouging is a good thing and that and it makes perfect economic sense.
Speaker 2: Listen to the One More Thing.
Speaker 4: Podcast and it's the best thing that can happen for poor people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see.
Speaker 4: Wow, what a contrast, writes Joe and Ventura, California. Notice this on my local freeway off ramp, winner and loser. There is a young man appears to be of immigrants, stock selling bouquets of flowers to cars whoever want some flowers On the way home and there's a scumbag junkie begging.
Speaker 2: Right right.
Speaker 5: That's a good one. That's a good one. You got people there on the corner. This happens driving out to the farm. When I go home. Sometimes you got people on the corner selling strawberries. Usually a whole family in the hot sun, set up their table, got their you know, station wagon there selling strawberries.
Speaker 2: You got people just begging on the street. Yeah, yeah, that's all.
Speaker 5: I'll see how much the people that are working their ass off sitting there in the sun selling the strawberries can't have much respect for the beggar on.
Speaker 2: The street, he says.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't it be ironic if this was a planned social science experiments to see what kind of reactions could be A litle from the drivers, I admit I it was guilty of making my opinion known. A big thumbs up to the winner and down to the loser. Care to put your own caption on this photo?
Speaker 2: Well? Thanks, Joe.
Speaker 5: Quick question for you, what if you happen to miss this unbelievable radio program.
Speaker 4: The answer is easy, friends, just download our podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand. It's the podcast version of the broadcast show available anytime, any day, every single podcast platform known demand.
Speaker 2: Download it now. Armstrong and Getty on Demand arm.
Speaker 1: Strong, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 2: I remember why Tim La Lawyer's name came up yesterday.
Speaker 5: We're talking about that amazing story of that poor guy.
Speaker 2: Gee and his wife are at a Disney property.
Speaker 5: He says that they told the waiter, look, my wife has peanut allergy or fruit out or something like that really bad, so we can't have anything that's touching nuts or whatever. Anyway, she ends up getting some food that's got the allergic stuff in it and she dies. She actually dies at one of these Disney properties. So he's looking into suing. Not for very much money. It was a fifty five thousand dollars, so it's not like one of those, you know, you only ten million dollar things. But anyway, found out that because he had signed up for Disney Plus and clicked I agree on the agreement thing at ten thirty at night once without reading a word of the agreement, he had agreed to no trials by jury that go after Disney in any way whatsoever I did.
Speaker 2: I agreed to that by watching Disney place. Who knew that?
Speaker 5: And just all these agreements that we all click on every single week on something we haven't got the slightest idea what's in there that needs.
Speaker 2: To be fixed.
Speaker 4: That's just one of several topics we can't wait to discuss with Tim Sanderfer, vice president for Legal Affairs at the Goldwater Institute, author of a number of fabulous tomes, including, and this will come up in a little while, the right to earn a living, which is all about economic freedom.
Speaker 2: Tim, welcome, How are you, sir? I'm just fine.
Speaker 8: Thanks for having me back the course.
Speaker 5: Is there some sort of way we can do away with these agreements that we all click on that are one hundred pagees long and we'd have to hire a lawyer and spend a lot of money to figure out what the hell they mean?
Speaker 8: Well, so the legal term for that kind of a contract that they call it a contract of adhesion, which is when somebody holds out this document says take it or leave it. Just if you want the thing, you got to agree to it. There's no negotiation, just go with it. And judges tend to be pretty skeptical of contracts of adhesion because it is a dangerous kind of situation where a person might not know what they're getting into when they sign the agreement. And so I think if you were to try and argue, as Disney is, arguing that because you agreed to a completely different service, one that had nothing to do with the injury that actually occurred, because you agreed to arbitration there where now you can't have a trial over here for this other thing, I honestly think that's a hard argument to persuade a judge. And now, of course it depends on the states. California courts are very hostile to arbitration. They really don't like the idea that you can be required to go to arbitration instead of a court of law. But there are lots of advantages to arbitration, including for people who are suing a business. Arbitration is faster, it's overseen by people who are knowledgeable legal you know, judges and lawyers who know what they're doing and tend to be experts in like personal injury and business and things like this, Whereas a jury is made up of just the twelve people who showed up for jury duty that day. So there are advantages to going by through arbitration, but forcing somebody into arbitration because they agreed to a completely different service at a completely different time by a boilerplate contract of adhesion. I think judges are going to be really skeptical of that attempt.
Speaker 2: The example, Yes, I was about to lay that out.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, my daughter has just started law school, has already learned, well, she's actually working in the law for several years. That it depends is the all purpose answer for every question that's legal. But the idea that I would I would get Disney Plus to watch the Mandalorian. Then I go to Disneyland and Goofy beats me into Acoma with a steel rod, and that's not actionable because I signed that. That's it depends where that happens. I guess, yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, for one thing, you cannot waive your liability for intentional or reckless harm you. So Disney is not allowed to say you're never allowed to sue us if Goofy beats you.
Speaker 2: Up with a metal raw Oh good.
Speaker 8: They can require you to go to arbitration instead of a legal court. If you have a dispute over Disney Plus as part of the user agreement, and you do have what lawyers call the duty to read before clicking the button. It is you are legally bound by these things, and you have to be honest because otherwise modern industry would collapse.
Speaker 2: Do need to read? But so like you, you don't have kids.
Speaker 5: But if you had kids, you go to the jumpatorium like I do, where they jump on the trampolines, and you have to sign a waiver before your kid can jump on the trampoline. And you go over to the waiver and it's like thirty pages long, and I and every other parent there just scroll to the bottom clicks I agree, and your kids put on their socks and they go jump. You, as a lawyer, would you read all that stuff or what would you do?
Speaker 8: You absolutely have to read all this Now, I will say there's actually a case directly on that issue from New Jersey from a few years ago where the kid wanted to go to the skateboard park. Mom goes, takes the kid to the skateboard park. They require him to the parent to sign this waiver and the court said that the waiver was not binding because you cannot expect a parent to resist the begging of a child. Well, it's so ludicrous. It's like, oh, I don't have any responsibility at all because I can't control my kids.
Speaker 4: No, no, you don't understand. It's the begging doctrine goes back centuries. So I'm picturing Tim, I'm picturreing the alternative. There we are at the jumpatorium, and I'm reading this pages of contract, and I say, oh wow, Sun, paragraph thirteen highly probably give me a second. Here, I bust out my cell phone. I called her legal department. Oh, some turns out there a subsidiary of paramoun attractions. Anyway, I need legal police, your legal department. Yeah, ah wait, thank you very much. Then you know an hour later, yeah, yeah yeah, paragraph thirteen specifically, you'll get back to me.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, son, we've got to wait a while. I mean, come on, we're going to go go back home because I am not happy with fourteen C. I mean, that's just so, that's so unrealistic. You just said you've got to read that stuff. Nobody's ever going to do that, Tim and timpos Yack.
Speaker 8: You know what they call that deck They call that responsible citizenship. That's that's your obligation when you're handed a big contract to read it before you sign it, so you know what you're doing.
Speaker 5: Nothing, Well, you're you're a libertarian. So this is one of the reasons your name came up yesterday. I was thinking, so is this a free market solution in fairy that we parents would not click? I agree, and we would not jump there. And so the jumpatorium across the street that doesn't have such a long agreement thing would get more business.
Speaker 2: Is that the only hope that the.
Speaker 8: Answer is mostly yes. Now, the reason why it's not entirely yes is because, as I said, you cannot wave your liability for reckless or intentional harm to somebody. So you cannot put into that contract I'm allowed to shoot you in the head or something, you know, but you can wave liability for an accident. I mean that's everybody knows that there are risks associated with seeing and the person who chooses that has to bear that.
Speaker 5: Well, yes, it's funny on both sides of this issue, actually, because the reason they need to have those long legal agreements is because of stupid rulings that have come out. And yes, my kids jumping on a trampoline and sometimes when you jump on a trampoline you break your arm and it's not the fault of the damn business. It's just something that comes with jumping on trampoline.
Speaker 2: So you shouldn't be.
Speaker 8: Alternative to The alternative to letting businesses wave their liability is you don't get trampolines at all.
Speaker 4: Right, right, right, right, So then if Goofy were to beat me down with a metal rod, that's one case. If Dumbo, for instance, saw a mouse and panicked and trampled me, that that would be entirely different.
Speaker 8: It would be entirely different matter, because it depends. Now here's another important point is that a lot of time I mentioned California cuts really hate arbitration, and the reason why is because they tend to think that arbitration favors the evil big business, and that's bad and we need to protect people against evil big business. And yet the same people who are hostiles of arbitration are often perfectly fine with administrative agencies holding hearings of their own where they are the people and the government agencies, the judge as well as the prosecutor. They're perfectly fine to that. They don't see that as unfair. They just see arbitration as unfair. That's really inconsistent and drives me crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, that's because they don't have principles.
Speaker 5: They take on and put on and take off their principles like windbreakers on the left. It's in a third of California law, as you know, exists enriched trial attorneys.
Speaker 4: But Tim Sandaffer of the Goldwater Institute joins us. Tim has been a leading voice of economic freedom for decades now in the United States.
Speaker 2: We're all getting old. Tim, I don't know if you've noticed.
Speaker 5: Help us understand why this policy of ending corporate greed and gouging is so stupid.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it really is stupid, and it is incredibly counterproductive. Price controls equal shortages. And the reason why is because you have to understand how prices work. People have this idea that prices are just sort of arbitrarily slapped on things, and that it's just greedy people putting numbers on things. And that's not what prices actually are. Prices are signals. When you see a price tag, think of it as something like the speedometer in your car. It's just measuring something, that's all. It's not somebody trying to rip you off. It's telling you how much resources, how much work, how much raw materials, and things go into a product as compared to the other things that the labor or raw materials could have been used for. That's all price is. So when a price goes up and then you come in with the government and prohibit people from charging what the thing actually costs, all you're doing is silencing that signal, which causes confusion throughout the entire economy and has terrible ripple effects. And it is absolutely true that you cannot just control the price of one thing. If you try to control the price of one thing, then people are going to turn the resources into some other thing, and then you have to control the price of that also. So for instance, if you were to try to limit the price that milk could could be sold at, the dairies are not going to make back the money that they need to keep operating if they sell milk, so instead they'll start making cheese and they'll start charging more for the cheese. So then you have to control the price of cheese. So then they start making yogurt, So now you've got to control the price of yogurt. And it keeps going on and on like that. So it's a terrible idea that causes shortages because if I don't know that I could make a whole bunch of money by making the selling plywood. Then I'm not going to make and sell the plywood. And now people can't get the plywood. And the reason why is because I didn't get the signal. Because the government prohibited people from telling the truth about what the prices are. And that's all price and trills are is. It inhibits people from telling the truth about what things actually cost. And the reason the government does that is because it's the one at fault for raising the prices to begin with, and it doesn't want people to know that, so it tries to silence it by blaming businesses for charging what things are actually worth. When the government is the one responsible for making your dollars worth less to begin with.
Speaker 4: Well, and it's one hundred or maybe ten thousand times more complicated, as anybody who's ever read eye pencil could tell you. Because that dairy farmer that you used as an example, what if all of their costs stay the same, but because of some sort of shock in oil prices, the trucks that bring their milk to market become much much more expensive to use. Then the government is involved in trucking prices, in shipping prices, and soon gasoline prices and the rest of it.
Speaker 2: It's doomed it and everybody's actually right. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: I offered up a paraphrase of your explanation of why gouging quote unquote gouging is not a bad thing. I use the example of chainsaws after a hurricane, but I wasn't nearly as eloquent or knowledgeable as you would be.
Speaker 2: Can you give us the a thirty second version of that.
Speaker 8: All that the prices do, when the prices go up and people start charging one hundred dollars to use a chainsaw because of the hurricane, all that does is signal that there's a lot of demand for hurricanes, a lot of demands for chainsaw And so all the chainsaw companies see that signal and they're like, oh gosh, we need to ship a whole bunch of chainsaws down to Florida or whatever. So then they do. Now, if you prohibit that, if you prohibit people from sending that signal, if you silence the truth about prices, which is what price controls do, then the chainsaw companies never see that message. They might as well sell their chainsaws in Nebraska or Washington State. So you got a whole bunch of chainsaws in Nebraska and washingtons in state, and you don't get them down in Florida where you actually need them, because the prices weren't allowed to go up, so nobody got the signal that that's where they need to send their chainsaw. This it's a simple matter, but it gets obscured because politicians want to blew you into thinking that businesses are evil and greedy when they're the ones that are out there printing money as if it's no problem at all making all of your dollars worth less, which means people have to charge more to get what things are worth. And then the government doesn't want to admit that it's the one at fault. Harris, for example, having been the tie breaking vote in favor of the Print the Money Act, and so she wants to confuse people about that by blaming businesses and silencing the truth about price.
Speaker 5: You know, that's one of many economic principles that the first time I ever heard, I was like, oh, okay, and that makes one hundred percent sense and changed my mind completely. It troubles me that a lot of this stuff pulls so well, the punishing, gouging or whatever.
Speaker 8: Unfortunately, government gets away with it all the time. You asked about whether it's legal, and I'm sorry to say that courts have allowed various forms of price control since at least eighteen seventy six. So unfortunately, there are ways that the government can do this. Just take one example is so called march in right. This is a provision in federal patent law that says that if the government decides it wants to, it can allow some other company to use your patent without your approval. And most recently, the Biden administration is proposed using this power to impose price controls by saying, well, this is medicine costs too much. We're just going to basically eliminate the patent rights. Well, if you eliminate the patent rights, nobody's going to invest money in developing new kinds of medicine. What a terrible idea, truly killing the golden goose. And yet that is being put forward as modern advanced economic thinking by a bunch of people who would flunk basic economics if they had ever bothered to take it.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll be looking to pummel these ideas with both of our fists, all four of our fists in the days and weeks to come, and we hope we can stay in touch.
Speaker 2: Tim.
Speaker 5: This is it's frustrating me that a lot of this is not counterintuitive, but it takes a while to.
Speaker 2: Explain to people.
Speaker 4: Once you do, the light bulb goes on and it's very easily understood. But for whatever reason, it takes a little explaining and that's tough in politics. But great to talk to you, Tim, Thanks a million.
Speaker 8: Thanks, guys, the sand.
Speaker 4: Of her vice president for legal affairs at the Goldwater Institute. Look for his books and read them. They're terrific.
Speaker 5: That explanation for why gouging is good in an emergency, for instance, you know, changed my mind instantly. He's like, oh yeah, that makes perfectly good sense. And I've never really thought about it since. Same as when my dad explained to me, well, socialism doesn't work beause socialism sounded good to me as a child when I was like ten. And then he said, but then nobody would work very hard if everybody gets the same result.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're right, and.
Speaker 5: Then that was it, and I would just wish we could get that information out to more people Armstrong.
Speaker 7: And the Armstrong and Getty shirt.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm gonna do this first.
Speaker 5: So yesterday, I'm coming out of the grocery store last night, and I'm in line behind this woman and she is a older woman, like quite a bit older.
Speaker 2: She's like seven or something like it.
Speaker 5: And she they said, you want to help out in your bag, and she said, no, I think I got it.
Speaker 2: I think I got it under control.
Speaker 5: Don't worry about me, and that she's got her bags as she's walking outside, and then she passes somebody I'm right behind her who's got a Senta hat on, which I like to wear this time here, and she said, oh, I love your hat purple.
Speaker 2: That's cool. You don't usually say purple.
Speaker 5: Then she walks out and she says hello to some other people, a person with a big smile on her face.
Speaker 2: And I thought, I was thinking.
Speaker 5: About what you always say about how much of your personality is just built into you in terms of because we do all these different studies or recommendations on how to have a better mood or be optimore, optimistic or whatever. I thought, She's not doing any of that stuff. She was just born that way. I mean, she was so much more friendly in a five minute period. For five minute, there's a sixty second period of me being behind her than I am in a month.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, she either like just escaped death or just got released from prison, or she's posh. Yeah, she had a couple eg nogs before she shot, or she's just built that way.
Speaker 2: Good for her, that's wonderful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I just thought I wish I was more like that, but I'm not. Is there anything I can do about that? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I really don't know. Yeah, And then I got into.
Speaker 5: The percentages of because sometimes, and we've all done this where you're like in a bad negative mood and something snaps you out of it and you realize that you were in a bad negative mood and they were, you know.
Speaker 2: Looking at things in the worst possible way or whatever.
Speaker 5: So there is something to attitude or having some control over it. So I'm trying to think, is it like ninety ten, sixty forty, where do you think it is in terms of how much you can control that.
Speaker 2: I've always said that.
Speaker 4: You can play with like twenty percent around the margins. I haven't thought seriously about it, but yeah, you come into the world with a particular mindset, and you can you can speed it up some or slow it down some, but a guy like you is never going to be like her no again unless you escape death or just released from prison.
Speaker 2: And that I don't last more than like a week. No, no, no no.
Speaker 5: It's like after I get through with cancer and it had like no effect on me, And I've talked to other people who were like really hoping this was going to be one of those and never after after that, I for the rest of my life I had this attitude.
Speaker 2: Of Bob that didn't happen. I've talked to other people felt the same way.
Speaker 5: They car crash, cancer, whatever it was, and didn't change them a bit.
Speaker 2: There's still the same sort less surly negative person they were before.
Speaker 4: That is simultaneously really disturbing and really reassuring.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know which right, so I don't know what is he going. You're said a hat purple. You don't see that very often. That's great. I just thought, Okay, I wish I was like you, but I'm not. I admire it and I hate it right both both. I'm strong and connecting. The reality is this is fabulous.
Speaker 7: I thank you.
Speaker 2: This is all crazy, this is it is yep, but damn it, we weren't allowed to ask about the big guys. This is the United States of America, God's sake, let's not play games.
Speaker 7: This is the Armstrong and Geeddy Show.