Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds, and Ray Dalyio says, the AI bubble is reaching great depression territory. We have such a great show for you today, the Jim Agosta Shows. Jim Agosta stops by to talk about Republican Congressman Max Miller as the albatross hanging over the GOP's head. Then we'll talk to former Justice Department employee and the head of the Justice Connection, Stacy Young, about how dangerous it is to confirm Todd Blanche as Attorney General.
Speaker 2: But first the news, Smiley, we are having the Senate move ahead on a bill that would avert a government shut down. And I think it's a very interesting thing here. The base seems to say shut it the fuck down, and as always, leadership is not doing with the base wants. What are you seeing here? I'm kind of perplexed, if I'm being.
Speaker 1: Honest, Scatin emboldened Jesse Cannon because his party. You know, I'm just.
Speaker 2: Kidding my party. What's my party? Well, you know by wig of the party.
Speaker 1: Listen, I'm teasing you. I'm teasing you you're a wing of the party. Okay, the wide bobs, that's right. Here's the deal. This is another reconciliation to keep the government open, another stop gap spending bill. That's because Republicans cannot get their shit together to legislate, and so we're just stop gap to stop gap to stop gap. You'll remember that Republicans control the House, the Senate, and the Presidency and they shut down the government they could not agree on DHS and they had the longest government shut down ever for DHS. And they did that because they are ideologically completely at sea. They have one thing that they all believe in, and that's Fieldy to dealer leader. So we got a quote here from the leader of the Democrats, the Senate Minority leader, that is very much like the kind of thing we see from him. For months, Democrats have been clear, we want to fund the government. I don't know why advert a shutdown again? Why and pass strong bipartisan appropriations bills that improve people's lives. Do you think that this administration wants to improve people's lives?
Speaker 3: I do not.
Speaker 1: Right, Democrats want the base wants them to obstruct, and here we are. So Senator Patty Murray of Washington, the top Democrat on the Appropriations Committee, said, enabling this rule, and basically the rule is that would allow the administration to cancel grants based on the recipients if they do not conform to President Trump's political views. I swear to god, this is something are trying to do. Okay, they want to cancel grants. These are grants like you know, the grant to study the Osprey is Donald Trump doesn't like ospres, so it's canceled a grant to study. These are like, this is your tax dollars going to science, except science Trump doesn't like, then he can cancel it. So enabling this rule, according to Patty Murray, would give Trump the green light to take even more federal funding hostage. Of course, she's right. So it is just a complete fucking disaster. This crew cannot fucking shoot straight. And here we are in just nightmare fuel scenario, and there we go. The legislation they do is insane and bad. Legislation they don't do is insane and bad. It is a just a complete fuckery over there. And they're all trying to just pass the stop gap so they can go home for August.
Speaker 2: So we're in that news cycle where we keep finding out more and more that the DNC is a shit show for lack of a better word, And there's this unreleased chapter from the autopsy report that took them forever to come out, and it has people.
Speaker 1: Going, what So if you or I wrote the autopsy of the twenty twenty four cycle, it might say a lot of the things that we're in this missing chapter. So basically I want to pause for a minute and just explain how we got here. Ken Martin, through Paul rivera under the bus. Paul rivera longtime Democratic consultant, is hired by the DNC to write this autopsy. It is not released by the DNC. By Ken Martin, he decides not to release it. He gives a number of reasons why never a good sign to give a number of reasons why. Now the guy who wrote the autopsy is pissed because he looks terrible and he basically, remember Ken Martin said the autopsy wasn't well written, it was I am maturish. So the guy who has been being maligned now is ready. He's coming back and he's defending himself, And like, I just want to pause and say all of this could have been avoided, right. You could have released the autopsy. You could have released some of the autopsy. You could have Bill barred it and just done a top line on the autopsy because nobody would have read it anyway.
Speaker 2: I like that verb.
Speaker 1: I like that, right. You could Bill bar it like he did with the Muller report, where he was like, don't read any of this, it's all boring, and then people didn't because why would they totally exonerated? Nothing to see here? But here's what they did. Ken Martin said, you know, he hit it. And then according to Rivera, who wrote this, he said that there was a missing chapter, and so this missing chapter was never released. Now Ken Martin says, no, there is no missing chapter. Paul Rivera said that he printed out the chapter twice basically, and the second time Ken Martin said he hadn't seen it. So we printed it out and brought it to him. So we have a real he said, he said here, right, and again, this is like the worst case scenario for this, right, because now we're in like news cycle four hundred and thirty five about this, We are in more bad news cycles about the DNC, right, Like, here's what you want. Here are the news cycles about the DNC you want to have. Wow they raised a lot of money. Wow they're good on television. Wow, that guy's really handsome. Here are the news cycles we have on the DNC. What huh are you kidding?
Speaker 2: You got? I think most of my reactions are you got to be fucking kidding me. This fucking guy is so incompetent it is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: This is all just so bad. Anyway. The point is, Rivera comes up and says, basically the missing chapter which now has its own news cycle, right, not just we don't just have like one news cycle on the autopsy. We have now a news cycle on the missing chapter. The Missing Chapter basically says the stuff that you and I have been saying this whole time, which is, there are consultants making millions of dollars on Democratic candidates and they are all absolutely just you know, taking advantage, and they're not open to new ideas. And so the everyone who is you know, taking a check from people like Ken Martin is not giving these people good ideas and is not telling candidates to do the smart stuff. So Nate Silver, who is annoying but also very smart, said if you actually read the omitted chapter, good on the New York Times for including it. It consists largely of boilerplate and cliches and mentions Biden's decision to run only in passing. I just want to say two other things about this. If the autopsy is bad, it's an indictment of Ken Martin. If the autopsy is not bad, but Ken Martin didn't release it, it is an indictment of Ken Martin. This is one of these things where every road runs to Ken Martin should resign, right And even the fact that you and I are having this conversation is a sign that Ken Martin should resign, because the reality is, if Ben Wickler were the DNC chair, we would not be sitting here having a conversation about an autopsy that was paid for with DNC dollars and that never saw the light of day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, in an interesting new thing. One of the most disgusting things, among many disgusting things of this era, is the Trump administration try to revoke Haitian refugee status. Now they're putting ankle monitors on them.
Speaker 1: Yesterday in Delaney Hall in Newark, New Jersey, another immigrant died. Did they die or they murdered, they were put in a place where they were not given the kind of medical care that they needed to stay alive. In my mind, you could certainly say that this administration has been responsible now for the deaths of many immigrants. This is something else that they're doing to immigrants that is meant to dehumanize, to make people scared, to make people feel as if they're going to be I mean, this is just so basically, this is targeting Haitian immigrants who have protected status. So you'll remember the Supreme Court recently said that immigrants who have protected status no longer have it. That's it. It was like the dread scot of immigrants. Basically that the protections they had they no longer have and that was it. With the snap of a finger. They this great experiment, this great country that you and I both had grandparents or actually great grandparents or maybe great great grandparents who came to this country because this was a place where you could get a better life. Well you can't anymore. And if you're a Haitian asylum immigrant, you are fucked because your protected status is gone. And so what they're doing before they defort these people, which obviously they are planning to is to give them angle monitors and instructions not to travel more than seventy five miles from their home. Fifteen thousand immigrants protected Haitian immigrants in Springfield, Ohio. They pay taxes, they take care of all people, They do jobs that a lot of American citizens do not want to do, and now they are being bullied and treated like criminals. Why are they being treated like criminals? His administration is filled with racists. That's it. I mean, you could say other stuff, but the truth is the races.
Speaker 2: That's that's the root of the tree. So it's also filled with people who think war adventuring is real fun. Apparently, according to a lot of reports, we are planning to invade fucking Cuba. But then there's this other report from Reuters that says US used virtually all long range precision missiles during the Iran War. Great stuff, people, great stuff.
Speaker 1: The worst part about this whole story the Ukrainians have these really cheap drones that they said they would help us use, and we were like, no, now we're using our million dollar missiles. No, no, no, million dollar, five million dollars, ten million dollar missiles and so we did, and now they're gone. And we've seen a lot of reporting about the munitions problem everywhere. So I do think this is like an under reported story of the mission of the missiles and how this administration has just completely burned all of these missiles that we desperately need. I mean, we actually don't need them and we shouldn't go into Cuba, and the whole thing is completely insane. By the way, I just want to point out President of Venezuela and his wife still in a New York jail, right, Yvonne, were still going, right, we were. Donald Trump said again that we have a deal and at lowered gas prices, but we all know that the Iranian said we don't have a deal. So I don't know who you trust on that one. And then I mean, it's just like it's such an insane, insane, insane way to go. I am absolutely, just completely I mean, I don't even want to say shocked is not the right word. It's just exactly what you think it's going to be here. Also, the Trump administration still making noise about Greenland.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, real, real, great stuff.
Speaker 1: Jim Acosta is the author of the Substack the Jim Acosta Show and the author of the New York Times bestseller The Enemy of the People. A Dangerous time to tell the Truth in America, Jim Acosta, I.
Speaker 3: Molly, good to see you.
Speaker 1: Good to see you. We have to start by talking about Texas Republican Senator John Cornyan and his assessment of Donald Trump. Basically, my man says, there's nothing we could do to reign in the president.
Speaker 4: I mean John Bardy, Yeah, yeah, I mean, well, you could have voted against Todd Blanche you could have done that, but you didn't do that, and we never really thought you were going to do that. I don't for all the people out there who held out hope for John Cornyn in a profile encourage you know, Yeah, this is the tiniest violin playing for you, whatever that expression is. No, I think that, you know, it doesn't get more pathetic these days than Republican senators twisting themselves into pretzels, trying to simultaneously look like their own human being with their own souls still in their bodies, while also bowing down to Donald Trump every chance that they get.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: It is one of life's great mysteries, and they're all going to go in the Hall of Shame. Years from now, we're all going to look back at these clips and say, yes, you could have done something. There were things you could have done to reign and Donald Trump, and you just never did any of them because you're a coward. You're an absolute fucking coward. And you know how many of those Republican senators are are there in the Senate, pretty much all of them at this point. There are no Mitt Romney's, There are no John mccains. Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, etc.
Speaker 3: Etc.
Speaker 1: There are no Mitt romney's, there are no John McCain's. But there are Max Millers. And there are Max Miller's and Bernie Moreno's and Bertie Moreno, Republican senator from Ohio. He is he won the shared Brown seat, which shared may actually win back the cycle share Brown, champion of workers' rights, Bernie Moreno, champion of car dealerships. But he also is perhaps on the right side of what has become one of the most I think upsetting. I mean what I read about the daughter today, divorce is going. Max Miller, an Ohio congressman. He was married to Bertie Moreno's daughter, and this has devolved into a lot of public fighting. But basically the allegations are that morena, are that Max Miller was violent with the wife, was violent with the child, what harassed her, just every bad thing you could think.
Speaker 4: Of, exactly, And oh, by the way, I mean yes, and we should say all allegations, but oh, by the way, Max Miller has faced these allegations before. The former White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham under Trump one point zero, has made similar allegations.
Speaker 3: And you know, we're at the point.
Speaker 4: Where people like Eric Swawell and Graham Plattner would have already been booted out of politics and they would already be gone, and we would already had several new cycles since those departures. But we're still waiting for Max Miller to leave the scene. And he's hanging on by his fingernails. And apparently Donald Trump is even himself has told him it's not looking good for you, despite the fact that he went in front of the cameras and said, I still.
Speaker 3: Kind of like this guy.
Speaker 4: Because Donald Trump always stands with the accused, not the accuser.
Speaker 1: That's why, But why but why?
Speaker 3: Why? Is that?
Speaker 1: Gosh GOLLI It's also a case of like, these are people who have abandoned the moral high ground. Right, Donald Trump has multiple allegations of sexual misconduct and abuse, multiple allegations. He's been adjudicated by e. G. And Carol and had to pay her five million dollars. So this is not like a controvert, you know, these are truths that Republican voters have decided do not matter to them. And so when Donald Trump goes to Max Miller, he says, what the only thing that he can say being that he is got he is so abandoned the moral high ground. He says, your polling is bad and you may not be able to win.
Speaker 3: That's right, and that's all they care about.
Speaker 4: And really, at this point, I mean, you know, do they really expect to hang on to the House of Representatives? I guess if you're you know, inside Donald Trump's brain, which is a scary place, and he's thinking, Wow, if I cheat just just enough to hang on to the House of Represents, it is that maybe this one seat does matter. This is a very disturbing picture that we're painting here. But I mean, Max Miller, he should no longer be in the House of Representatives. And but the only reason why he's in this position right now where he's about to be shoved out is because he's becoming a political liability because he because because it may damage the rest of the party and they don't want that that kind of a that kind of a guy on the ballot when I guess, you know, especially in a place like Ohio where Shared Brown is going to be on the ballot, the governor's race and Amy actin you know, vivik Ramswami is not looking that hot in terms of and so to see state, you know, Democrats winning statewide office in Ohio, when is the last time we saw that. That's been a very long time. It's been many moons since that occurred, and so I can't I can certainly see why they're trying to push Max Miller to the side, but my goodness, think about how long it's taking them to do that and contrast that with where Democrats have been for what the last year and a half.
Speaker 1: I also want to add, because I think it's important. The only reason we're hearing about these allegations, the only reason they're being taken so seriously, is because there's an affluent woman who is the daughter of a powerful man. Yes, I mean Stephanie Grifchin Grisham worked in the Trump White House and she barely could get these allegations out. They ended up both signing NDAs and there was some kind of something happened there that we don't really know, but it's a really important point. It is very hard for women to come forward. It is very hard for these things to be taken seriously. And what Max Miller is doing is a lot. He's engaging in a lot of the things that we see when women come forward. You know, he said, well, I cooked her dinner. She let me cook her dinner. She wouldn't have let me do that had I abused her. Like these are textbook exactly right.
Speaker 3: And where is Bernie Marino on this?
Speaker 4: I mean, he's now finally starting to say something about this congressman who's been abusive towards allegedly abusive towards his daughter, Like, I mean, are you kidding me? Like it's taken you this long to say this? Did you have to get permission to say this? It's rather pathetic? And you know he had salty your language for doctor Fauci at a fucking congressional hearing than he is for his for his own son in law who has been allegedly extremely abusive towards not only your daughter but your granddaughter. Like, dude, I mean, where is your soul? How does this make you a man? I mean, honestly, dude, Like, you know, please go stand in front of the mirror and do some deep thinking.
Speaker 3: My goodness.
Speaker 1: And Moreno, did not come forward until after Donald Trump said it was okay, because yeah, Donald Trump. He doesn't come forward until Donald Trump calls Max Miller, which is a really good example of why this is still very much the party of Donald Trump. The other Ohio Senator John Hustad has not, yeah a.
Speaker 3: Pen sounding very pathetic about this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're all waiting for the deer leader to give them the nod. When the deer leader gives them the nod, then they can act like human beings again. And it's really it's kind of astonishing. And I you know, you would think that there we never reached the bottom, and there is no worst with Donald Trump, as Barry Trump likes to say, But my god, I mean, when it comes to allegations of domestic violence of this nature and people still can't find their souls and be actual human beings. We must be in Washington. We're not in Kansas anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm going to read you just a little reporting of what Bernie Marino said to reporters. This girl is crying at night because she can't sleep without her little blue bunny. And his answer is, I'm just not going to give it to you. So finally, yesterday he lets the blue bunny go to the girl. This is completely depraved, but he doesn't come out and tell this story until the day after Donald Trump calls Max.
Speaker 4: Miller exactly yeah, And I uh, there's there's like a fatal attraction quality to this, you know, with Max Miller, you know, he he this guy, you know, just seems to me to be, you know, one of the not exhibit A, but exhibit I don't know, the of men from MAGA operating with two sets of rules in American society. And if this had been a Democrat, this, this person what, he would.
Speaker 3: Already be gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But because they all work for Donald Trump, they they have to wait for Don Corleone to give them the nod. And it's it's absolutely disgraceful. And I again, I don't know how I'm a father. I have a daughter, I don't know what it is with Bernie Marino right now. Like, dude, if this were my son in law, I think the Senate is not that far away from the House.
Speaker 3: They would have to get that.
Speaker 4: They would have to get Max Miller around the clock protection, if you remindrant in law.
Speaker 1: And it is, but it does show very much that Trump still controls the party, which speaks to this idea when we look at John Cornan saying he can't do anything. Part of it is that these Republicans in Congress have given up their power. Part of it is that these Republicans in Congress don't really want to have the power to stop him.
Speaker 4: No, it's almost as though they've they've forgotten how to act like human beings. They've they have forgotten you know, what it's like to operate with a functioning spine. Yeah, and you know the party is you know, the party is Donald Trump, and Donald Trump is the party. I think that, you know, and you know, you could talk about the Michigan Senate race. You know where these numbers break down. You know, Larry Sabadeau was pointing out just the other day that you know, not only is the House really gone for the Republicans. The Senate is in play too, and the Senate is in play whether or not whatever happens in Michigan, the Senate is still in play for the Democrats. And you know, when we're talking about Shared Brown returning to the Senate, I mean, this is the we're just seeing like the little tip of the top of the of the title wave that is coming. And you know why, for the life of me, they're not having more serious conversations inside the Republican Party about this. I saw another story that said that Donald Trump has been admitting to Republicans that things aren't looking good right now. No kidding, really is that you think that's the case when you're when you're you know, painting gilded horses or whatever it is Washington, you're the Lincoln Memorial and you're failed reflecting full project while everybody else is getting the shaft. Yeah, things might be a little bleak right now. Politically speaking, it.
Speaker 1: Is also pretty incredible to look at this moment and to see like Trump still is true thing that his polls are good. So right, he said, I saw the real polls and they're good. So I guess he's seeing maga Republicans in Alabama still support him. I mean, and I think it's worth like Trump continues to have this unreality problem, which is pretty striking. So yesterday Judge box of wine, Janine Piro is called in Donald Trump is mad about the reflecting pool. You know, Judge Janine doesn't. She can only do what she can do with reality.
Speaker 4: It's true, no, and listen, I mean, this takes us back to sort of the post January six days, when there was this distinction between what the Trump people could say in front of the cameras on TV and on cable networks and lie about the election, but when they go into court, they can't lie as much because there would be consequences legally for themselves, essentially losing their law licenses and so on.
Speaker 3: And I think Judge Denin.
Speaker 4: Piro said, you know, I'd rather have my box of wine and my law license as opposed to just my box of wine. I think maybe that's what happened there. But the other thing too, Mally, And I don't know. I've just started to think about this, you know how you and I and many others have had this you know, conversation about there's Earth one and then there's Earth two and Earth one is the normal Earth, and Earth two is the Donald Trump Earth, where lies are truth and truth are lies. I wonder now if there's an Earth three and Earth three is. We don't know what the fuck to do as a country with the president who is in such cognitive decline that he can't really formulate a sentence, an intelligent sentence anymore. It's that capacity is gone now. And just yesterday in the Oval Office, he was going from one thing to the next on a rant, and he was he couldn't say eighty six forty seven, so he was saying things like eighty seventy and so he just like, so, I don't know, I almost feel like we've been moved.
Speaker 3: From Earth two to Earth three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we and as a country, we don't know what to do about that, or I mean, I think many of us know what to do about it. We have a Republican party that simply won't do it. We have the John Cornyn Republican Party, right, And I.
Speaker 1: Also think, look, you know, there was a lot of reporting on the state of Joe Biden, eighty one year old Joe Biden, that he was not sharp, that he was, and then there was that unbelievably bad debate performance. Okay, I got it. You know, he decided not to run again the poll showed he wasn't going to win. Yeah, all right, Donald Trump, eighty years old making decisions that Joe Biden, even on his worst day, would never be of making, right like numerous form wars. Imagine. I mean, you know, still talking about Greenland and how he's going to go for Greenland. I mean, this is the kind of stuff that any other president, even if it were someone who was sharp as attack, would be in a lot of trouble for Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can't just write one book about this. It would have to be many books. It would have to be like a trilogy. At this point of Donald Trump, you know, going off the deep end, and you know, to me, I just think that Joe Biden was one thing. Donald Trump is having one of these episodes where you know, where he's basically saying, we killed Medicare. He's doing that just about every day now, and he's almost doing it multiple times a day, and in the way and this is what I mean about Earth three and the way that he's worn us down over the years with truth being lies and lies being truth and so on, and people feel like that's a fire that's one fire hose, the fire hose of lies. Now we're getting the fire hose of dementia, and we don't know what to do with the fire hose of dementia. And that's a totally different that's a horse of a different feather. And I don't know, you know until I mean, you know, he thinks that he can win the Iran war in the way that he wins his golf tournaments at Bedminster where the caddy dumps he the ball out of his post.
Speaker 1: He just wanted, gimmy, just win his thirty fourth or some.
Speaker 4: Crazy number he did, I know. And it reminds me of Bill Murray, Candy Shack, you know Cinderella story, you know, coming out of nowhere, the groundskeeper, you know.
Speaker 3: Hits the golf It's a miracle, he was.
Speaker 4: I'm not doing the line right, but no, but I think that, you know, he's wishing that the caddy that Pete Hegseth would dump a golf ball out of his pocket so some way he could win the war in Iran. And there have been stories like they're they're looking for ideas, they're looking for new thinking outside the box ideas on how to win the war to Iran, and apparently Reuters was reporting that we've depleted our missile capacity, much of our long range missile capacity or something along those lines.
Speaker 3: And I mean, it's this is a fuck up.
Speaker 4: This is a big, old, you know, industrial sized, Donald Trump sized fuck ups.
Speaker 1: Who could have seen that the man who bankrupted all the casinos would be just so terrible at being president, even though the last time he was president he killed lots of his supporters by telling them not to wear masks.
Speaker 4: And I think that's why he's been focused on, like building a helipad and putting new grass in at the White House and changing the columns and things like that.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's dawn on him. He's also bad.
Speaker 4: At the big things, like maybe running a pandemic is just not his thing. Well, mag winning awards just not his thing.
Speaker 1: And Maggie Haberman said that when she was in the White House, all he was interested in was the real estate and that's it.
Speaker 3: And but he's not even good at that. He's not. He's basically and Molly.
Speaker 4: You know this being a New Yorker, he's good at slapping his name on shit.
Speaker 3: He's good at marketing.
Speaker 4: Things to people that have disposable amounts of money, and not so disposable amounts of money, as it turns out in many cases like crypto, and but that his specialty has always been being sister and being a guy who pulls a fast one, and that just ain't good enough. And why were we learning this lesson all over again a second time round. I have no idea, but we're getting that. In addition to somebody who is really in the sunset in the twilight of his twilight zone days, it seems to be.
Speaker 1: Yes in the twilight of his twilight zone days, Jim Acosta.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Tacy Young is the founder of the Justice Connection. Welcome to Fast Politics. Stacy, Hi, who are you? I'm good? Can you explain to us what you do, what your organization is, and how you got there? Sure?
Speaker 5: So, I was at the Justice Department as a lawyer for almost twenty years. I resigned shortly after the inauguration to launch and organizations to support the OJ employees. That was the second Trump inauguration, Right, Brat, you had seen the writing on the wall and you knew things were going to get rough. Yes, I am not a cheery, optimistic person in the best of days. And I took what Trump was saying on the campaign trail and during the transition very seriously and his stated intentions to attack the federal workforce. And I knew DOJ employees would be particularly vulnerable because there was only one agency that investigated and convicted him, So I knew it was going to be a real bloodbath. And I looked around and tried to find kind of organizations that were gearing up to support federal employees, especially a DJ, and I just didn't see any. So I ran an organization inside DOJ for years to support employees. And I thought. I felt like I was going to be a target in particular, and I knew that many others would be targets. So I thought, I'm going to leave and try to start an organization myself.
Speaker 1: Did those people need your protection?
Speaker 5: Unfortunately I was very prescient. My worst predictions have come to fruition, and they have absolutely needed protection, and everybody can protect them. Like one of the things I did about a week before I left the department was they wrote not Been in the New York Times calling on all Americans to support DOJ employees and that was kind of a call to action, and launching the Justice Connection was an answer to that call. So, you know, we have provided the support that we heard from them that they needed. We launched a probone illegal network. We have over two hundred and fifty lawyers who are now representing them when they need legal representation, if they're under investigation or getting fired, or need ethics advice. We have a mental health support network because as Russell voche said he was going to put federal employees in trauma. We've an employment support network for employees who get fired or just need to leave. We provide media trainings so people who do leave can start speaking out, and we speak at ourselves. You know, we've launched a number of huge advocacy campaigns. We've been in national media outlets over three hundred times. At this point, we've become kind of the voice of the career DOJ workforce.
Speaker 1: Now we are here and Todd Blanche he wants a promotion. Tell us why you don't think Todd blanch should have that promotion and just specifically why.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, from day one he has made it clear that his client is the President and not the United States. I mean, as DOJ lawyers all know, you know, we would walk into court and say, my name is Stacy Young. I represent the United States. Todd Blanche represents the President, and that attitude infuses everything he does. It infuses the IRS agreement he entered into, It infuses the slush fund, It infuses his erasure of accountability for January sixth defendants. It infuses his vindictive prosecutions, It infuses the fact that he has pushed out almost twenty thousand DOJ career employees, and it infuses every court order he violates, every judge he attacks, and every way he has assaulted the rule of law. This is unprecedented at the Department. I've never seen anything like this, and the rule of law frankly can't survive if the primary institution enforcing it has been corrupted.
Speaker 1: Can you give us an example of something that a normal AG would do versus something that Tom Blanche has done. So, a normal Attorney General would ensure that prosecutions are brought against individuals because they break the law, and because the laws that they break in the way that they break them is a priority for the Department to pursue. A normal AG would not pick up the phone, when the president calls and say, Okay, I am going to.
Speaker 5: Investigate and then prosecute this enemy.
Speaker 1: You have so give us an example of who he's done that with. He's done that with Jim Comey now at least twice. He's done that with Letitia James. He's done that with John Brennan and the Southern Poverty Law Center and Jack Smith, and the list goes on and on. When the president is able to, especially frankly unhinged president like this one, when a president is able to use the Department as a sword and a shield for that matter, that means that none of us are safe.
Speaker 5: That means that you can be a good citizen and follow the law, and if you speak out against this president you can still be prosecuted. That is not a system in which the rule of law is working, and that's a system in which we should all be very scared.
Speaker 1: Republican senators like John Cornyan have said there's nothing they can do to reign in the president. They're voting a two committee. There's nothing they could do. But since you know the law, what could they do if they wanted to do it? What could these United States senators do? Well?
Speaker 5: As a starting point. They could vote against Todd Blanche. You know, some of the statements we've heard coming from John Cornan in the last day or two are nonsensical, where he's a, well, you know, I got this slush fund in IRS agreement adjusted a little bit. That's all I can do. No, what you can do is not vote for the guy who has been responsible for so much corruption and so many affronts to the rule of law. You don't need to vote for him. But in addition to that, they can start issuing subpoenas to Justice Department officials. They can still start highlighting these abuses. They can have hearings, they can put their foot down and exercise the oversight responsibilities that they have.
Speaker 1: So you're saying they could subpoena the assistant of Todd Blanche and find out when he called when he put through a call to Donald Trump. The assistant to Todd Blanche could say, you know, we put through a call from the White House, and then right afterwards Todd Blanch asked me to do I mean, right, isn't there documentation for all this stuff?
Speaker 5: Yeah? There sure is, And they could absolutely issue subpoenas to get that information and they are refusing to do that. Now, of course Donald Trump could pardon anyone who might be at risk of perjury, but you know, let.
Speaker 1: Him do it.
Speaker 5: Do it anyway, Do everything you possibly can. It is supposed to be a coequal branch of government. Use the power you have to reign in a renegade justice department.
Speaker 1: You could do hearings, you could do subpoenas, you could make a case to show the American people what to what we all know Todd Blanche is doing what's been reported to have Todd Blanche doing. But in a hearing, we will have people like actually up there being like, no, no, this is what he did. Why do you think Republicans aren't doing this?
Speaker 5: Because they're showing the same fields due to the president that Todd blanches. And it's pathetic and it's dangerous, and they refuse to acknowledge what they all know, which is what happened. Is happening, is appalling. It's making us less safe, it is making our rights more vulnerable. It's going to make our elections less secure, it's going to make our economy less strong. The damage that's being done and the risks they're creating really can't be overstated, and like you said, they should be having hearings every single day. We recently worked with Senator Booker's office to put on a shadow hearing where we had people talk about the Epstein files, about illegal terminations of career employees, of the slush fund, of the IRS agreement. It was a really powerful hearing. Our communications director Peter Carr, who Todd Blanche fired directly because he was the spokesperson for the Jack Smith team. He testified about his termination and what it means that DOJ lost his decades of institutional knowledge. This stuff is just being ignored by Congress. It's not just that they're destroying institutional norms and implementing completely horrific priority. They're breaking laws, and if Congress doesn't care about the laws that it passed, they're going to continue doing it.
Speaker 1: There are options here for hearings, but they are also there's stuff here that's happening like the DOJ just because the DOJ they just control the federal courts, they don't control the state courts. So if people are breaking the law. For example, here's a good example, New Mexico is trying to get these unredacted Epstein files so that they can do an investigation in Tasarro Ranch. So far the DOJ has not released them. What could New Mexico do to get those files?
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, New Mexico can go to court and the court can issue orders and those orders are enforceable. In addition, the New Mexico state bar con sanction attorneys who violate state bar.
Speaker 1: Rules even if they work for the DOJ.
Speaker 5: Sure, oh, absolutely so. DOJ lawyers are absolutely bound by state bar rules, and I should mention on that point. This Department of Justice proposed a regulation that would mean that state bars cannot sanction DOJ lawyers. I mean, think about what that means. That is creating a special exception for DOJ lawyers to violate ethics rules. Why why would you do that? If? I mean, DOJ lawyers should be held to higher ethical standards than anybody else because they wield enormous power. But this DOJ is so hooked on this unitary executive theory that they think state bars can't touch us. You know, we rule so, I mean, you see so many examples of this. But there are things states can do. I mean, there are supremacy clause issues. It gets a little kind of complicated about what exactly states can do with respect to federal the you know, the exercise of federal power. But certainly state bars until this rules finalize at least can absolutely sanction or does bar DOJ lawyers.
Speaker 1: Is this rule going to go through for sure?
Speaker 5: No, So the rule and comment period ended already. So now the rule is under consideration by the things that by the administration, by the executive branch. So we'll have an answer in a few months, maybe a year. You know, we had a big campaign a Justice Connection to get people to submit comments during the notice and common period. I think over a million one point two million people file comments during the notice and comment period, which both like expresses how outraged people are by this, but it'll also probably have the effect of slowing it down at the very least. But it's just one of the many things they're doing a DOJ and across the federal government to you know, insulate political officials from you know, consequences. They also recently promo an issue to proposed rule to require federal employees to sign NDAs, which is an obvious to attempt to you know stififule whistle blowing, which is has never been as important as it is. Right now, you know, some of the information we know about DJ, some of the corruption we know about, the abuses we know about came from DOJ whistleblowers, and you know they have whistleblower rights and we need them. It's part of how our democracy works. And this, you know, administration wants to shut that down. They want to intimidate people and to stink by it, think silent. And there are people inside who are the only people privy to information that we all deserve to know. So one of the things we do as an organization is support whistleblowers. We help them blow the whistle, We help them go to reporters because traditional whistleblower avenues have really been choked off by this administration. So you know, there are safe ways to still do it. And I'll just put in a plug. If any DOJ employees are out there and have information they want to share, you should come to us and we can help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's worths realizing that this stuff is totally unprecedented, but it's also a lot of it's not lead.
Speaker 5: Goal right, A lot of it is not legal, but unfortunately a lot of it is DJ After Watergate implemented pretty strict guidelines internally to make sure that the kind of corruption we witnessed in the seventies under Nixon wasn't going to happen again. But those guidelines are not codified in law. There are no enforcement mechanisms. A lot of them are contained in what's called the Justice Manual, which is kind of like the Bible and DOJ that all lawyers and agents and others follow. But if you violate the Justice Manual, if you kind of you know, break down the institutional guardrails, there's nothing that anyone can really do. I mean, DOJ works when people running it act in good faith and uphold ethical standards, and this administration has shown that it's unwilling to do that.
Speaker 1: So it's more norms and less laws, which is a problem you've seen again and again with this administration. That's a far more concise way of putting it exactly. It's interesting to make Todd blanche actually did work in justice, right, and can you talk about sort of his history and why what he's become is so shocking.
Speaker 5: This administration and people within it, I generally find to be pretty transparent and easy to figure out. Todds has a real mystery to me. I mean, he was a prosecutor in the Southern District of New York for almost ten years, and you know, we work with a lot of his former co workers, and people respected him and liked him, and he seemed to have a moral compass, and he understood what the DOJ norms were and he followed them. So, you know, his weird path to DOJ again, where he left his firm and decided to represent Donald Trump exclusively during the Biden administration and now his complete like you know, weird sicko fancy and elevation to the top is hard to explain. He knows what the rules are, he knows what the norms are. He knows how to do that job. I mean, you could argue, well, Pam Bondi was brand new to the department. She didn't know how worked. He knows how it works. He knows that everything he's doing is contrary and offensive to the norms that keep DOJ upstanding. And you know, he's been willing to trample on everything the department is always stood for. So it's it's really puzzling what is motivating him other than just like a desire for power. I mean, I don't want to psycho analysts him, but I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Else because he really does know better, and I think the point of him knowing better is really important here. If you're listening to this, is there anything people can do?
Speaker 5: I mean, right now, you know Todd Blanche got out of committee this morning, There's still going to be a floor vote. It's you know, it could happen in a few days. Call your senator. Even if you think that you know exactly how your senator is going to vote, Call your senator to let them know that you care about the rule of law. This is offensive to it and you want to see your senator, regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum. You want to see your senators do more to check this out of control Justice Department. So I really encourage you to call or email, just let your position be known. There's still time and there are still a few senators who's position on this we don't know, So this is not a done deal yet. It could really help for everybody to reach out.
Speaker 1: Stacy, Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And also I should mention you should visit us at the Justice Connection dot org and follow our stubs back, which is just justice connection.
Speaker 1: No moment Jesse Cannon, Miley, John Fast So it's time for our moment of buckery.
Speaker 2: But backbencher report style. Have you ever heard of Representative Chuck Headwards? Because I'm going to be real, that's one of the ones I just went who Anyway, the Ethics Committee does not like that he was messing around with staffers.
Speaker 1: I wish we had the statistics for how often the Ethics Committee has found.
Speaker 2: Yeahs basically stopped stop fucking.
Speaker 1: Your staffers, right, I mean I think it's only happened like twice, like most of the time, maybe three times, like most of the time. The Ethics Committee is like, you good, You're good. You know, it's a victims crime. So the fact that they found there was substantial reason to believe Representative Edwards violated House rules related to sexual harassment and hostile workplaces is amazing. Okay, it's amazing. There's a crazy number of these cases have been you know that the Ethics Committee is just fine with because remember the Ethics Committee is made up of other members of Congress, right, so this is like, this is like internal affairs, right. I want to just point out something about this story. It is. I read the whole story yesterday and and it is so gross, and the parts of it that Edwards turned over to the committee. He's just so creepy. And you know, it's like that yellow dress was burned into my brain. He did puzzle, you know, a puzzle. Come with me to this, like creepy, weird. He's sixty five. These staffers are in their twenties and thirties. He's been married since nineteen eighty. He says none of it's romantic. He sent one staff for thirty pints of ice cream. I mean, it's just like super gross and even like he he made a plan to go with a staffer somewhere and then sent her flowers and she wrote back, I hope you know this is not romantic. I mean, like he you know he Both women received gifts from him, including jewelry designer, pursus guns because he's a Republican, shoes, flowers, a laptop and his cell phone, a KitchenAid mixer, a robotic vacuum, vacations, tickets to performances, and one on one dinners. One of the staffers felt she was obligated to wear a necklace that Edwards gave her. The congressman told her he was disappointed when she did not wear it. It is so uncomfortable. He paid for spot treatments to discussed going to strip clubs in DC. Directed one of the staffers not only to notify Edward's schedulers about a dinner the pair had planned. He bought one of the staffers to a holiday event at the White House and told her he wanted the night to be perfect. He pressured staffers to continue the evening with him and asked her to travel too and from the event with him in his car. It is so incredibly gross, and I want to point out this the first time.
Speaker 5: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: This is the first time the Ethics Committee has recommended censer since it took action against former Representative Charlie Wrangell. You'll remember Charlie Wrangell. He's dead, unfortunately in twenty ten. Okay, it is now sixteen years later. Okay, they never find anything wrong, So the fact that this is happening is insane. Edwards is, of course, just like Max Miller running for reelection in North Carolina's eleventh congressional district against Democratic challenger Jamie Ager, who will be on this podcast. I promise you we will have him on this podcast anytime he wants, unless he's a lady, in which case we.
Speaker 5: Will have her.
Speaker 1: The committee report complicates Edward's past to victory, as I hope we all do agree, this fucking person should not be a member of Congress anymore. Tom tillis who is on his trying to come back campaign, and said if the bipartist An Ethics Committee has acknowledged that there was some wrongdoing, I think it's going to be problematic for his campaign. So brave Tom tillis, so brave. That's it for this episode of Fast Politics in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.