Speaker 1: One of the biggest misconceptions about buying a home right now is that you have to wait for the perfect moment, perfect rates, perfect timing, perfect market. The truth is that moment doesn't really exist. A lot of buyers pause because of headlines or assumptions, but every situation is different. Race change, market shift, and personal goals matter just as much as what's happening nationally. That's why talking to a local lender can be so valuable. When you contact Doctor Mortgage, you get paired up with a local lender. That lender will give you your options. That lender will explain the situation. You can ask your own questions. That's what it's all about, getting to the closing table as simple and as easy as possible. Our friends at scot To the Mortgage focus on helping people understand their options. Whether you're ready to buy now later or just starting to ask questions. There's no pressure to make a decision, just a chance to get real information and a clear picture of what's possible. Sometimes the smartest move isn't waiting, it's getting informed. Visit stock to dot com today to learn more about your options. MLS eight two five nine, Equality and Lender n MOLS Consumer Access or.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage and the Kentucky Office of Highways Safety Safe Summer Driving Tour. Now, here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 1: Welcome back Kentucky Sports Radio live from John Clay Automotive in Nicholas Film our News. So there's Casey and Rachel back there. Hey, there we go. So coming on and see is it John Clay Automotive and you get a big discount? I hear Shannon tell us about it.
Speaker 2: Well, if you use the promo code KSR, you can get a conventional oil change for forty nine ninety nine or sixty four ninety nine for the synthetic oil.
Speaker 1: But use KSR promo code KSR. Yes, KSR will get you that promo code. That's right, all right, There is nothing else. I think we emphasizing enough. All Right, we're welcome Jeff pi Caro here for the second hour for Hello Jeff Corro from h Now you're not just WTVQ through w LAX UK Sports Radio Network. Add another hat to your display there. But you had a little breaking news for us this morning. You actually went to the Mark Pope news conference. I don't even talk about Cam Williams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, first off, I want to say, it's great to have you back, and I know everybody out here feels the same way.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was kind of surprised to all of us in the media because we're not privy to go to practice and stuff. But Cam Williams had surgery on his on his foot, so but he says he expects it to be back. He said he had some some problems with it and some soreness, so they went ahead and got it whatever mriight or whatever, and they decided to do another surgery. But he feels that he'll be ready come October. So we hope because really that is the one position in my opinion, that that wing that you really have to have that depth that he gives them their guard the shooter.
Speaker 1: Shooter out there. Yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: He also mentioned maybe looking for another player. Should we be good? Yeah about that a little bit. Well July twenty fourth.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the biggest thing was this true he's and and he kind of said this in passing, but I think they're way to see what happens with the five on five thing the fifth year because there's some lawsuits that some players and some attorneys have already got it, you know, with the SEC or NCA, and if that passes, then that's going to have a huge influx of these fifth year players that are just sitting out there going, oh, I'm for sale, you know. So I think that's what they're holding out on, and if that happens, you might find a real gem.
Speaker 1: We wanted to bring you on because of obviously talking football SEC football media. The week was just this past week, you were down there. What was your big takeaway? And then you know the h all because of me comment will Stein May What was your takeaway talking to the guys and talking to him.
Speaker 3: I think all four of them was the thing that permeated through all of them was confidence. This team is confident. I think that they've bought in.
Speaker 1: To his system.
Speaker 3: And you know, I was part of a change. We went from coach Kersey to coach Clayburn and it was a huge change. It was just a total opposite in the personality and their styles of play and everything. And it took a while for people to buy into that, and a lot of guys left and we made some great players that left. But here he's been able to keep those core players, guys like Ty Bryant obviously and Willy that you know, had a lot of people other schools came after him, coming after him. But the confidence, I mean, they are a confident bunch. And you look at what he's brought in. He had a top ten portal class, in the top ten or top twenty recruiting class, and I just think that I think they're gonna surprise some people. I really think the Litma test obviously is going to be Game two with with Alabama and if they can play with them and just not get annihilated, and if they could possibly win the game. And then I think that you're looking at wild that you know, he's not shying away from anything, and that's what you like it. As a player, you gotta love your coach. You know, why are we going to because of me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: To me, dang, you're gonna jump on that bandwagon and go ahead and pick Kentucky to beat Alabama in Week two.
Speaker 3: You know, when I look at that Alabama team, there's still a toss up at quarterback who's going to be their quarterback. Their offensive line went over a big overhaul. Our defensive line is a straight both our lines is going to be a strength. I think you guys are you can You're not gonna believe this. I we saw it at spring practice. But the size of these guys up front is just amazing. And I know I say this every year, bigger, stronger, faster, but I mean I couldn't even the managers could kick my butt, you know, Like I mean, it's it's amazing the size of these guys. And they've got depth and that's the biggest especial on that defensive line. I think that's gonna be a huge strength through them. The secondary is gonna be awesome, and the defensive front is gonna be awesome. And there's some question marks at linebacker and I think that's the only spot that we're waiting to see in fall practice. How that kind of shakes out.
Speaker 4: Speaking of kicking butt, that wasn't your phone that went off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta love John too. I mean, that's just the way he coaches and the way he is. He meant it tongue in cheek, and I think that the coach creen kind of took it a little too far. He didn't say the guy's name. I mean, he was just it was funny to everyone that was there, but that you guys have been there before. That thing is is it got a world of its own that the you know the media days. Yeah, there was sixty or seventy stations, you know for radio for people to stop at and talk to you. Then you had the ESPNS and everybody else in the world and TV there. It's just wild.
Speaker 4: How was it being in Tampa for the first time. I went to Nashville. Didn't get a lot of sleep when it was in Nashville. Heard some fun stories. Nick Roush apparently got on the pirate ship at the Buck Stadium and the mascot kicked him off because you weren't supposed to be up there. Don't know if the mascot just lives up there defending its ship, but uh, where the was the extra curricular stuff fun they have.
Speaker 3: Any events in mascott is a pirate.
Speaker 4: It is, I guess, but I don't think Rawsh expected to be kicked out by the actual mascot.
Speaker 3: It was actually kind of cool. They had stuff every night for for us, you know, meeting the media people. It was it was all free and stuff. So that that's and if you're in the media, you'll you'll find out if it's free, Like over there, it's for me. Everybody it shows out to the media, it's like, yeah, where's the free stuff at? But yeah, they had all that I thought. I thought it was good and bad. The good part is huge place, enormous hotels and stuff like that. But getting there's kind of a house and you know, you kind of gotta fly or if you're driving, it's a it's a haul down to Tampa.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I kind of liked it centrally and either burming Ham's easy to get to and in Atlanta, and and obviously Nashville. I'm just not a huge fan of Nashville.
Speaker 1: I mean, I wrong.
Speaker 3: His band for like an hour from we're talking four hours, Yeah, what is wrong?
Speaker 2: I was tired of hearing us after four hours. Nashville has become like Vegas. Yeah, so expensive.
Speaker 3: The price is when you go and get a beer and it's eighteen dollars for one beer and.
Speaker 2: You're like, you know, how much to part my car? Eighty dollars to part my car. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: I booked my SEC tournament hotel just this week because you know, it's cheaper now instead of waiting for the Yeah, I'm already in there Wednesday to Saturday.
Speaker 1: We were there Saturday.
Speaker 4: I didn't commit all the way to Sunday yet.
Speaker 1: Now, Kenny Minchie, our quarterback, we don't really know a whole lot about him, other than he transferred from Notre Dame, had to Florida with Nebraska. You were down and you got to talk to him, kind of get us a little inside knowledge inside baseball on Kenny Minchi, our quarterback.
Speaker 3: Well, the other thing, I probably went to twelve practices in spring too, so Tom and I are able to go to practice and watch and stuff.
Speaker 1: Humble brag, lucky, humble brag.
Speaker 3: But the thing that I liked about him is he's he's really good in the pocket. When you're a quarterback, you have a flight or fear thing in you and you count in your head one, two, three, and at three you're like, I got to get the hell out of here. I'm not going to get killed. And like, for instance, Will Levis, who was very successful, his was to take off and try to get to the outside. Peyton Manning can't do that. So what'son. Peyton does what we call climbing the pocket. So when they are coming at you, they're usually coming like this, you know, and and the blockers are trying to block him to the outside anyway, So climbing the pocket means just stepping up and then the defenders kind of go by you. So you're buying yourself some time and you're buying the receiver's time by moving around in the pocket. Peyton does that so well. Minshi is really good at debt. Now he can run, he says, Now I'm not gonna be will and try to lower my show to run people over. But I can get out of there too.
Speaker 1: Touch down in the spring game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just like this confidence in the pocket. He trusts the guys in front of him. He knows how to just slide and move it within the pocket. And look, I know every year we talk about the tight ends and oh this is going to be the year for the tight ends. But this group of tight ends and skinner is I mean Willie Rodriguez is I mean, he's Michael Mayer who played it come cantack for him and is now with the Raiders. He's that and more. He's he's such a tough kid and and got great hands that can run for a two hundred and fifty five two hundred and sixty pound guy. He can really run. But I think the tight ends are going to be really explosive on this team this year. They've got a whole group of them. And the thing that I like about Willie and Michel is they're three down players, meaning they can get open. They're going to be a load for linebackers. But then they're also big and strong enough that they can block defensive end and tackles and not have to be taken out and stuff.
Speaker 2: So going back to Wills down at SEC media Day, we've already covered it because of me answer, But was there anything else that he said that kind of stood out to you at SCC media Day.
Speaker 3: He's that, Yeah, I think the biggest thing was Heat said, I you know, I didn't take this job for three or five years down the road. I'm here to win now. And it's it's and I know that's what we all want to hear. Sure, it's not a where we need to build a program because it's so much different now. And I hate always using Indiana as the example, but you look at Indiana, they were dormat in the Big ten for the last ten years and then three years ago fifty years. Yeah, Betty gets there, and because of the portal and because of what you can do with that, you can change the whole you know, the whole team, the collection of a team in one class, and I think that's what Will has done. The thing you brought in Tennessee starting left tackle for the last two years. Yeah, you pulled him away from Tennessee. The guy was there, he's an an NFL guy, heart's gonna play. He's six foot eight and three hundred and thirty five pounds. And you go to the right guard. Tegla was Ohio State starting center for two years, won a national championship, and yet you were able to pull him away. And then your center is the first team all big twelve center from Baylor that you're able to steal away. And then you got all off from Alabama, so they've they've added some real quality depth. They had two guys from Tennessee h a guy from Alabama. So there you are coming from big programs, so this isn't going to be too big for them when they step on this stage. I just to me, it's just amazing what he's been able to do in one off season. A top twenty recruiting class, A top ten point wortal class. And I just I think they're gonna surprise me because the guys have bought into what he's selling.
Speaker 4: Offensively, they seem pretty set, except maybe a running back where you have a couple of guys coming off injury, even though they're big names. They just very recently, even this week, had to go to Juco to add some depth. How do we think the running back room will shake out? Because if there's any concerns, it seems to be at that position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and because they'd like to run. I know everybody sees them. You know, his team score forty plus points a game for the last five years, three at Oregon and at Utsa as well. And so you think you're throwing the ball all over the place like Mummy did. But he's always had a thousand yard rusher. And in the sec you've got to run the football. I don't care you know how good your defense is. I don't care how good your wide receivers are. A quarterback, if you can't run, you're not gonna win, period. Into story, you look at the best teams Kentucky had, even when Couch and Lorenzo, they had great running backs. I think it's a running back by committee right now, because we just don't know the two guys in Oklahoma and Texas. I mean, CJ. Baxter was the number one recruit in the nation.
Speaker 1: He could get back to that level.
Speaker 3: Even eighty five percent of that true is as good as anything you've had, probably some Sunny Collins, you know. I mean, so, I mean, I'm happy with Patterson made huge steps last year, so he's kind of the fail safe. He's probably their number three guy going in. But I think the package is the great thing with his running back room is the packages don't have to change with the different players. They're gonna run the same offense with each of those, at least the top three guys.
Speaker 2: Was a cole Ke saying that this team is the most talented offense that he's seen at Kentucky. Yeah, I saw that go somewhere. Would would you agree with that from what you've seen?
Speaker 3: I would agree across the board because this Nick, You're gonna like this Nick Anderson, the wide receiver. He's about six or four and about two hundred and probably twenty pounds. He just looks like a Georgia receiver, you know, like the Fred Barnes of the past. There are Florida receiver the big, tall guys that can get downfield and be physical. Kentucky finally has one of those in him, and so I just I think he's gonna be that a deep threat. They've they've got what twelve receivers, I think that they've got now, so they've got death there. Uh and that that to me was always the biggest concern with Mark was what happens if somebody gets hurt. You know, when I played, if Joker got hurt, I'm in that's a big drop.
Speaker 1: And it don't it don't slam yourself like that.
Speaker 3: It's not that way anymore, you know. Now it's the backups are a PRETI good.
Speaker 4: Anderson's like Baxter, who's a high recruit. Injuries slowed him down a little bit. If you can get him back close to for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he can play two big schools.
Speaker 4: And then DJ Miller, who's been on the team. I don't feel like we used him enough last year. He turned it on hit another gear towards the end of the season. But I think that's another name that will really shine in there too.
Speaker 1: He is Jeff P.
Speaker 3: Carl.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take your call yet the football question for us, Give us a call eight five nine two eight h two two eight seven. We'll take your phone calls on the car's pubbershop phone.
Speaker 2: We're gonna try your nut bars next time, right now, right now, or we're gonna wait.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do in the commercial prey the nut bars straight from the rick, but you know, cookbook and straight from my kitchen. We'll give their response. We come back, you can't Kentucky Sports Radio. All right, welcome back, Kentucky Sports Radio. We are live at John Clay Automotive in between Lexington and Nicholasville, a brand new facility. Who were in the customer waiting area. They've got another facility right next door, Shannon, with twenty bays. They can do all your automotive needs. Shane Fannin's back there doing a promotional video because the Chamber of Commerce will be here today. I just gave you a shout out, fan man, here you go. What else we got out of here today, Shannon?
Speaker 2: Well, they do everything, tires, oil changes, breaks, transmission, suspension. You do you need like some suspension on your car?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, engine repair, engine replay, hasment, everything a do z it's all here for you.
Speaker 1: That's a John Clay automotive, all right. Earlier this week, I think Drew brought up the Rick Patino cookbook I did, yeah, liank It from nineteen ninety seven. Was after the won the National Championship where they ask all members of the media to donate a recipe. Well, Jeff, they chestise me for my caramel nutbar recipe. Didn't think it would maybe very good, didn't think maybe it was worth it. You guys just tried it during the commercial break. What's the verdict.
Speaker 2: I think it's great. I think yoga girl did a great job on your non recipe. But you had nothing to do with this though. You're not gonna get to take credit for that. I told you to take credit that you ever made it. You did nothing except for bring it here like you did.
Speaker 1: I unwrapped the caramels, I melted the caramels, I put it in the oven. I took it out of the oven.
Speaker 2: So what do you guys think.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean he's already admitted what his recipe in ninety seven. So the ex wife's mom that should have what the title should have been on the books.
Speaker 1: My ex mother in law.
Speaker 4: Her recipe as good as it is, I don't think you can take credit.
Speaker 1: For what's the verdict on the crowd. You guys like it? What did they get the time? Oh yeah, I brought the whole pain of them over there.
Speaker 4: We have all this black bar and barbecue, which is delicious. But I can't just go over there and say I made it because I lifted the pan in the air. You know, whoever created the recipe and made the mill I think gets the credit.
Speaker 2: I do have one question. Yes, all right, I know we're all friends here, but I took a bite of one and then set it down right there, and I looked over and now it's gone.
Speaker 1: You ate the one that I was eating. I thought that was my part.
Speaker 2: No, that was the one that I had my hands in. I was like, bit off of and set it right there.
Speaker 3: You ate it? No?
Speaker 2: I mean, if I was gonna guess which one of you three, I was gonna say Ryan is the heavy favorite. Yeah, we want DraftKings.
Speaker 1: Does not bother me. You could stick in your mouth. He doesn't even care. This type of guy who eats something off a floor eight five nine two two two eight seven. I gave you, guys, a little homework. Last night, We're gonna ask you. Also, this was on the a Vision Glass text machine. A great question. You want your Mount UK basketball mount rushmore of players from Kentucky. So you're four top players from Kentucky that played at UK.
Speaker 3: See. Now that's really hard because when you go back to the forties and fifties, almost all of those guys huh you know, the Cotton Ashes and wild Wad Jones and all of them were all Kentucky. How do you leave them off? I mean, Frank ram See, some of those guys won three national champions because the freshman couldn't play back then. So I mean, that's that's pretty strong.
Speaker 1: You may want to go I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't think Hagen was from here.
Speaker 2: Now when you say from Kentucky, they had to also play at Kentucky, Yes, so they couldn't like you could say, Alan Houston, correct, Okay.
Speaker 1: Correct, I'll go from Kentucky played at UK.
Speaker 2: Not surprisingly, I didn't really do my homework. I forgot about it. Well, here you got you got to carry you go last, then I'll still yours.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Drew Jack Gibbons, easy pick, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Putting on my mount Rushmore, also with Cliff Hag. Well, I'm going Cliff Hagen next from Owensboro, also from Owensboro, Rex. So I got Goose Rex Cliff Hagen. And this one's not top four, but I'm putting him in because my Mount Rushmore. I'm going to Madisonville, Kentucky getting little Travis four two tome SEC Tournament MVP. He's a top five and free throw percentage three point percentage, had a great for years here even though he started another school. So I'm sneaking Travis Ford in his my.
Speaker 1: Goose Rex Cliff Hagen. Travis Ford, Yes, that's good, all right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I think that in any sport at UK, you have to have wahwah Jones. I mean he was some people say he was the Red Grange of the University Kentucky. I mean he had like when he have sixteen or eighteen varsity letters here. He had an Olympic gold medal. Yeah, I mean he had three national championstool. I think Guawai Jones has to be on there. Then, of course, Cliff, I don't think. I'm not sure about Frank Ramsey was Frank Kentucky? Good lord? It was down Travis it's gonna be a big mountain because we're gonna have Frank was an unbelievable player here. Odie was an unbe you know, Adrian Smith vern Hatton, Rex vern Hatton was awesome player here. I don't know how do you pick four of those? And I haven't even said Jack Gibbons, James Lee who they played against each other, Brian Station and Henry Bribe although you know one year he didn't really he didn't win anything here.
Speaker 1: So who's your four?
Speaker 3: I think, wah wah Jones. You gotta go with Cliff Hagen.
Speaker 4: There's one that's probably listening right now. We haven't said Richie Farmer exactly.
Speaker 3: Get rich again they win the championship. Richie probably he's on that, you know, but he's got his thing and the you know the guy I think I gotta have Gibbons and wow, who's the fourth? I don't want you know you've already said who? Okay, let me ask you guys this. Who is a better player at UK and what they comt Bush, Dirk or Rex?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's tough, that's tough.
Speaker 2: But Ryan's the Yeah, you're the needs to answer that.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll answer when I say my Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 3: Okay, what do you think miss Basketball?
Speaker 4: I mean you can also I'd go Rex in that head to head. I mean, Darius Miller has a ring on his finger.
Speaker 1: Anthony IPPs, Anthony IPPs.
Speaker 4: It's a long list. This could be our toss.
Speaker 1: So you go with Walwat Jones, Cliff Hagen, Rex, and Jack Jamons.
Speaker 2: All right, I like Rex and Goose. I think for me, those two gotta be on there. You know, I like Darius Miller. I mean he was a big part of that championship team. I'm gonna put him on there. No, no, no, I got to put Ritchie on there. Yeah no, And then you know what, I'll take Darius off. I'm putting Richie on because I like Ritchie and it's my Mount Rushmore. I can do what I want, right, And then what about rage Ron Rondo? True? Put Ron on there?
Speaker 1: So you got Rondo, Richie, Goose and Rex. Yes, mine's very similar to what you guys say. I think you have to have Wah Wah Jones. You mentioned Wawah. He played basketball, football, baseball, played in the NBA, played in the NFL. The dude All American in every sport. He is one he may be the single greatest athlete ever to play at Kentucky's wahwah, Jones, I think you gotta have Goose. I agree with Goose. You got to have him on there. You know Lexton Bryan Station won a title and then seven seventy eight.
Speaker 4: Just casual forty one points.
Speaker 1: I think there's been two rock stars since I've been covering Kentucky, and I mean rock stars, John Wall and Rex Chapman. Rex was a rock star, so I think I got to put Rex on there. So we already know three. But my fourth one, I'm not even gonna put a player, Bill Kyley. Bill Kyley from Kentucky, Kentucky gave me the post. I almost thought about kay Wood, but I think I'm gonna put Bill Kylee on there instead of Kaywood said players.
Speaker 4: In that case, I'm going Toby Hall at least.
Speaker 1: The players what did Uh? It's my route.
Speaker 2: I want to I'm smoking cigarettes under the table calling the games.
Speaker 1: Uh. We'll take our break and come back. If you got a phone call for Jeff car We're gonna talk more football. Ty Bryant supposed to call in. Hopefully in a train of break, we'll talk the Talk team as well. So eight five nine two, eight oh two to eighty seven we were live at John Clay Automotive and Nicholas Fild between Lex and Nicholas Field. Come out and see us right back. This is Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: TJ Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ.
Speaker 4: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 2: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome back Kentucky Sports Radio live from john Clay Automotive here in Nickols Field. Is that Jacob Hyde? What Jacob Light doing there? My goodness, he looks like you still play? Get suit him up?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Joining the line now by a current UK football player, Ty Bryan Or may give it up for Ty Bryant. Coming back. Oh dude, we're come back for another season. You know, the pride of Frederick Douglas High School. Uh, you're it's it's a long way from the parks and rec League. I used to watch you play back in the day, but I know you got to be excited to come back for one more year and the new regime, new coaches and everything going for Kentucky this season.
Speaker 5: I am, I am, I mean like you said it was it's a new staff, but obviously we're ready to go great brinking. You know, I believe in these guys and they believe in me.
Speaker 3: Ty.
Speaker 4: Everybody's talking about how you're a leader of this team, and that included going down to Tampa for SEC media days. What does that mean to represent the program? Being one of three guys that gets to go down there and be on the big stage and speak on behalf of your teammates and the coaching staff.
Speaker 5: It was amazing. It just showed that the coaching staff and the people with my peers respect me and just view me as a guy that can go down there and represent them, well, not only them, but my family and also BBN.
Speaker 4: Did I see the head? Was that your real Douglas jersey and helmet there too? That looked like a nice twist they had waited for you.
Speaker 5: No, I wish it was real. I wish I got to take you home. I could have put it, you know, somewhere in my parents' house, and you know, I held onto it forever. But now it was like it was like a little braship that they had, not even just like something on a projector, but it was. It was amazing. It was really cool just to see that. And I was shocked when I walk into the room and I've seen that.
Speaker 4: You got me off heel for it. I thought of his room.
Speaker 3: Hey, ty, Jeff picorro here down in Tampa. You know, we got to talk a little bit. But they asked me about what was the one thing about you guys that I took away, and I said, it was the confidence that you guys had in yourselves and in the coach. And you know, obviously everybody's brought up this you know we're gonna win because of me thing. But I gotta believe as a player, you gotta love your coach coming out and making statements like that, don't you.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Someone after he had made the comment of Porter asking about it, and I had no idea that he had made that comment, But I mean, that's that's a guy that you want to get behind, a guy with confidence and a guy would fight behind Mike. You know, he really means what he says. And I mean, we're ten toes down behind him in this building. So you know, I love the fact that he made a comment. But you know, we just got to put the season week after week, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Kentucky has become kind of like defensive back. You A lot of guys play there and ended up in the NFL. Who are the guys this year we expect going to hear, But beside yourself back in the backfield.
Speaker 5: I think in the back end, you're gonna hear. Obviously not a familiar name here, but he has made his name known around the country. Jordan Castill. He's a guy that can go. He's played addition for US Florida coming over from Florida. Obviously we played him all through my years being in college. But I mean he's a guy who he's a dog. He can absolutely go. Another guy in the back end that we're gonna hear a lot about is Ryan Nichols. That's a guy who has stepped it up tremendously as a leader and as a player this year, and I can't wait to see what he does. Another dude, we're gonna hear a lot about his Hassan Sykes. He a guy that he can't He transferred over from a Western film, a smaller school, but I mean he's been working his butt off since he got here, and he has a lot. He feels like he has a lot to prove he has a chip on his shoulder and he goes to work every single day. Your first other guy we're also probable to hear about is Cyrus Cyrus Rays he's in the faith room with me. But I mean, that's a guy who he puts it all out on the field every single time he steps on him onto the field, and he's gonna be a great addition for us when it comes to defense and special teams, and he can make a big impact for us.
Speaker 4: Your your first year's here, defense like to keep everything in front of him, played that Ben don't break. But will Stein and Jay Bateman say they want to be a lot more aggressive defensively. I know they've been very quiet of what that looks like so far. Not sure your cards, but do you feel like there's been a big style change in how you all play?
Speaker 5: That's like you mentioned before, it is a different style of what I have been playing in the past three years. But I mean I like their style of the defense. It allows us just to get up to the quarterback a little bit more and get stickier in the back end more as well.
Speaker 1: You know, the defense is something that doesn't get a lot of attention during the off scene and everybody kind of focuses on the offense and the new quarterback. You guys see these guys every day. What kind of offense? So we can we expect from the team this year?
Speaker 5: An explos I mean coach coach Stein and coach Loan, they're both masterminds of what they do, so they dial up a lot of good stuff and it makes it makes defense stay on their toes because you never know what look you're going to get, and if you get a certain look, they might go into another look, like in the blink of an eye.
Speaker 4: So I mean, in an.
Speaker 5: Explosive offense, no matter if that's through the air or on the ground. And yeah, I mean we just I feel like we got two of the best guys in the business.
Speaker 3: Honestly, ty I made this comment and I'll stand by it. I said that I believe that Kentucky is the best safety duo in the entire SEC, if not the country. You and Castile have played. I think ninety some odds starts already in SEC play. He's coming over from Florida. Very aggressive defense, and I don't think people realize when you've got two safeties who really know what they're doing back there. You can take chances in front of you, guys, knowing that you're behind them.
Speaker 5: Correct, say it again, I apologize.
Speaker 3: I said I think that you they'll be able to take chances in front of you because you and Castiel are so good behind them.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yes, sir, most definitely. I mean that's been a big emphasis is like we want the corners and everybody who's playing, like in a man assignment, to just be aggressive. And I mean we're going to make you, guys right if you mess up, we're gonna be right there, get the ball to the ground, and we're going to live to see another down. So yeah, that's been a big emphasis is just you know, play aggressive, take your risk. If you feel like you can go make a play, don't make that play, and if not, then we're gonna be right there behind you to get the guy down or to make the play as well.
Speaker 4: A lot of the talk since the new coaching staff has gotten here is how the energy is a little different in the building. They're a little younger, might be a little more louder.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: Do you feel that throughout the the meeting rooms and everywhere in the building. Each days, these guys coming in with a new passion and fire. His first time head coach and a new staff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel that practice coach Shu He's he's an assistant receiver coach, but man, he be chirping of us DVS man. But like, I think that's what you need. Just the passion and the energy that they bring every single day. It just makes you love doing what you do and like you just want to continue to get better and elevate each and every single day because if you mess up, it's going to be highlighted. If you do something good, it's going to be highlighted. So I mean just in the meeting room we have my position coaches coach see why And yeah he also does bring like that, like that passion and that young energy into the meeting rooms. So yeah, I definitely, I definitely understand where people are coming from when they say that these guys have that young energy in the building.
Speaker 1: Well, ty we appreciate it. Give a big round of applause for TYD Bryant before you go talk.
Speaker 4: Can we get to collapse in a Rick flair?
Speaker 1: That's fine, go ty Brian. Good luck to you. I appreciate you, brother, thanks for joining us Brian the leader in the face of the defense, superstar in the making.
Speaker 3: If I could just add one thing to what he was saying, and I know it was breaking up a little bit here, but they're going to be able to play man underneath and it it's usually call it like cover seven, where you have five guys underneath and then you've got the two safety so if you make it, if somebody makes a mistake or a guy gets away, they're so good those two guys behind him that they'll be able to cover for him. And so that's why they can be so much more aggressive on the defense because they've got those guys that have close to one hundred starts playing them behind them.
Speaker 1: During that interview, there was some breaking news. Liam, you had the breaking news button again. Shannon's got some breaking news.
Speaker 5: Yeah, from the ESPN.
Speaker 2: Lebron James is signing with the Philadelphia seventy six ers, a two year deal eight million dollars with a player option. Him and Max seventy six going to Philly.
Speaker 1: Everybody said was Cleveland or Miami Cleveland or Miami seventy six ers.
Speaker 4: So this is the conspiracy theorists in my head, you know, they leaked the YouTube thing yep, and then leaking the bakery and are they messing with these polymarket odds and getting bets. So I think there's there's some funny business going on here because Philly was barely mentioned where a lot of these rumors have come out. This happened with Giannis a little bit too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think there's definitely something to that.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of basketball, I got one on before we run out of time. The Kentucky High School Basketball Hall of Fame announce their latest induction class, Alan Feldhouse Senior, Alan Feldhouse Junior, Anthony Epps, and mckaylebs. So we got a father's son and a father daughter in the classes year. Definite think that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: I think that's awesome. I mean that, and you look at what they've been able to do since, you know, since they got a high school and continued on. That's that's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's thet.
Speaker 4: Kudos to make a decision to tom at that way where they can.
Speaker 1: Have a father son and a father daughter.
Speaker 3: I thought they were I thought he was gonna say me he was going in Ryan.
Speaker 1: I was an Indiana basketball legend. We saw that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've done so much for a high school basketball, especially when you used to do the Sweet sixteen.
Speaker 4: That's right, and you already take credit for food you didn't cook. You just take credit for basketball careers too.
Speaker 1: Well, why you guys are patting me on the back, let me tell you about Stockton Mortgat.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to gloss over though. You tweeted that photo of a young ron Limited point guard.
Speaker 1: And look good, dude. Didn't get ready to put the move on that dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it look like young Steve Alfred.
Speaker 1: I remember that game that was my senior year in the sectional, which did you guys call the district tournament Kentucky Sectional. I had eight points and on that picture, I definitely pitt blew past him and throw it threw up in a lay up.
Speaker 4: I believe you were locked in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, enough of that Stockton Margat the little summer maminenance goes a long way. Don't forget to service your HVAC, clean the gutters and check exterior calling before the season gets away from you. Protecting your home starts with taking care of it, and if you're home no longer fits your needs, You're not alone growing families, changing careers and new goals can all change what you need from home stock to mortgage, can help you explore your next step at Stockton dot com. In a molest eighty five nine an equalsing lender in Alaska, Sumerrat says dot or will be right back. Our final segment coming up here on Kentucky Sports Radio eight five nine two eight oh two two eight seven. We'll be right back. Welcome back, Kentucky Sports Radio. Final segment here live from John Clay Automotive on Nicholasville Road between Lexington and Nicholas Field for all your automotive needs, come out, Shannon. We've got Black Barn Barbecue back. They've got all kind of barbecue going on.
Speaker 4: There was so much of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was so good. All of us just tore into it.
Speaker 1: I think Drew and I ate all the fried bolognia. It was none less.
Speaker 4: It's really good. That's why they had about six paupers.
Speaker 2: The taco, Yeah, the wings, they got it all over here.
Speaker 1: So Shannon tells who. This segment sponsored by.
Speaker 2: Draft Kings sportsbook promo code KSR. If you're a neuter, Draft Kings, spend five to get one hundred and fifty in bonus bets. We can pick a game. I don't really have any odds for La Familia versus Behim's Army.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna say six and a half.
Speaker 2: There you go, I'll take the points. Give me Lot Familia on Draft Kings you can do it as well. Promo code KSR.
Speaker 1: It's at home. They're not gonna lose a historic Memorial coliseum. They're gonna win that game, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And they as I said, Dean Maryliggans is younger than their team.
Speaker 5: We know.
Speaker 4: They keep showing the graphic of DeAndre being thirty eight. Remember Eric Devendor, he's on the team. Wesley Matthews. I mean, these guys are older than I am.
Speaker 2: So if they win a single elimination now right, So then like, how many more games can they play at at at home? I'm gonna ask a home do that for the championship.
Speaker 4: I don't know, let's be honest. I kind of think they're figuring this out on the fly. But I was like everything, I don't think the championship, if we'll be on a home court, the next two will be.
Speaker 1: If it's up to TBT, they'd want it at historic Memorial costume because the fans are going to sell it out to be close to a sellout.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was the quarterfinals now and it's moved a single elimination. I love they just made a format to get three Kentucky Mobile games.
Speaker 2: You were saying during the break that you really want some of these Barry Manilow tickets that I couldn't even give away on the show the other day. Nobody wanted them. You're saying you want to go to Barry Manilo. We have four pair of tickets to give away.
Speaker 1: Listen. I may not be a fan of Low, Yoga girl is a fan of Low. If you like Barry Manilo, you're a fan of Low. She wants to go. So where is this? It's rough?
Speaker 2: So you're telling me Barry Manilo in the year of twenty twenty six and our lord can sell out.
Speaker 1: Hey, you got Shannon, He writes the songs that make the whole world sing.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what that means. I don't even get the joke.
Speaker 1: So I've got two tickets to give away. If you can come up right now and you have to sing a verse a Barry Maneloda verse, Yes you can, Yes you can. You gotta just come up and singing one little verse.
Speaker 3: Or one of his dinties, because he was one of the greatest commercial right McDonald's bandaid of all of them, Come on, Patty, just give them nobody.
Speaker 1: Look at they're all singing right now, singing.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, you're you're putting, You're torturing these people there. I mean it's say being a We come up and.
Speaker 3: Make fools of ourselves every day, singing versus Mandy. Remember that was a great song.
Speaker 2: Okay, come on my head, here we go.
Speaker 1: Come on, one little verse from Karen one other sports show. Any any Barry Manilo, saw any Barry Maniloe song? Here we go Caroon one two three go. I write the songs that make the whole world sing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I make the song fat people.
Speaker 1: I forgot how that's good enough?
Speaker 4: Good enough, I'll tell it.
Speaker 1: Go see Billy Billy's got you two tickets and go see Barry Manilo.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 1: Now that's a true fan loo right there by singing the song.
Speaker 2: So he did the band aid.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, McDonald's yeah, American Bandstand, themes on bandstand bandstand.
Speaker 4: So he's probably just rolling in money from these royalties.
Speaker 2: Yes, there were more.
Speaker 1: I can't think of what they are right now? Uh, do you have one more basketball note? Fanelo, you are I wanted to get in before we can run out of time. The number one high school player in Kentucky this year is Braxton Keighley Martin County High School, Little Bitty Martin County High School. He averaged like thirty three points a game last year. If he didn't leave the state scoring he was one of the top one. So the number one player in a basketball player in the stead of Kentucky's from Martin County High School, Bracton Keighley. He committed to college yesterday. He had offers from l s U, he had offers from Indiana, he had offers from a lot of big schools. He picked Pacific University in California. So my man is going from Martin County High School to Stockton, California.
Speaker 2: They're growing.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yes, So it had to be uh as good. So it had to be what a girl right, what you always say no not to Stockton, Calahoria.
Speaker 4: He just needs a picture of it to come out there.
Speaker 1: Talk about a culture shock going from Martin County. We've been there Little Bitty's County.
Speaker 2: So Martin county. Was was that the county that was dealing with the water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's Pepperdine and Pacific have the best. I mean Pepperdine is literally we were out there one time and we're driving up the coast with Kenny Rice. Remember Kenny, we were at there and I said, look at those condos. He goes, Jeff, those are dorms university and I'm like, what in the right that's the ocean.
Speaker 1: You're right on the ocean.
Speaker 4: I don't know how anyone graduates at time. I wouldn't do anything.
Speaker 1: Malibu And we talked about the SEC football media days. Lane Kiffin ruffled some feathers yesterday where he said that nine and three teams and the SEC should be considered as like eleven and one teams and other conferences because the SEC is so strong. It's true, well all the big ten schools kind of clapping back, like hold my beer, Lane Kiffin, I think we've won the last two national championships. SEC ain't all that. What's your take on that, Jeff.
Speaker 3: I think there's two conferences that are just heading shoulders above everybody else, and it's those two. But I think what makes the SEC tougher than the Big Ten. Is the bottom schools in the Big Ten are atrocious, and Kentucky still fielded a pretty good team last year they were one of the bottom dwellers. I mean, I I just think that there's more depth in the SEC than there isn't the Big Ten.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Greg, think you talked about this too. We made the point. Yeah, they've got the last three rings. That's one team winning a couple of games at the end. But if you're just talking week to week, SEC is still much better and much more difficult as a conference.
Speaker 2: Do you love the trash talk that we're hearing from some of these coaches though? I mean not just Will Steinin, but Eli Drinkowitz. Trash talk in Kansas? I love that stuff. Look yeah, I mean that was really the biggest thing I think takeaway, Like, I can't believe you just said that.
Speaker 3: What did he say that the best thing coming out of Kansas was the and then the prettiest girls in camp.
Speaker 2: They gotta be their tourists.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I was like, wow, all right, and then you've got hypel encouraging Tennessee fans to bring mustards. Yeah, like coach speak normally this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, normally I would say, like SEC media Day is kind of boring, but then you get quotes like this and and some are all yelling at the guys. They he would throw up podium, you'd be kicked out of our locker room.
Speaker 1: Well, I love that, I was Shannon. Usually the SEC mediada just coach speak answers. This year had little firepower. Every day it seemed like little some fireworks going off. Uh eight seven were about out of time. But Matt comes back on Monday. Actually talked to Matt last night. He's in New York right now. He had to spend some days at ESPN. He did his fellowship, then he went to ESPN. Now he's in New York and doing some things and he'll come back and be on the show on Monday. But we're getting closer and closer to football. I mean, we're like, what just a week two weeks away from fall camp opening.
Speaker 4: Than that, it's a week from Monday, coming Monday.
Speaker 3: Players, I'll report this coming week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean what happened to the summer? I mean, so September fifth, the first game, we're like six weeks away from opening the season.
Speaker 4: Three day's keeping scoring.
Speaker 1: It's amazing that it's gone by this fast. But I'm excited about I think most fans are excited about it too. You'll owner most more fans would be more excited about the basketball season started or the football season starting this year.
Speaker 4: I thought you were going to bring up Barry Maniloe again.
Speaker 1: Football Barry Manilol Mandy, you kiss me and stop me from saying cause I need you today. Oh Mandy? Is that right? Thank you very much? All right, nobody knows. Big thanks to John Play Automotive. Keep him around of applause for all your automotive needs. Come and see him. Attires orl change breaks, transmission suspension. John Kay Automotive located between Nicholasville and Lexington on Nicholas Field Road. Brand new facility out here, so come check it out. We're glad to take care of you guys. We appreciate you helping us out today. Big thanks to Jeff Pecorro, Willie colly Stein, Andrew Harrison, ty Bryant and we had a lot of guests today Drew.
Speaker 4: Black bar and Barbecue. Hopefully my car is somewhere. I think they went to give it a world change.
Speaker 1: I don't know where it is because they've not brought the shows back yet.
Speaker 3: That's all right, I should have done.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, everybody. We'll see you next week on Condecky Sports Radio