Speaker 1: Hey, you welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind, it is time to get on the boat, y'all. This is Rob Lamb. This is going to be an episode that originally published eight eight, twenty twenty five. It is the Uninvited or I'm sorry it's Uninvited, No. The from nineteen eighty eight. This is another Beast Cinema installment from Graydon Clark. It has George Kennedy in it. It has a mutated cat, a killer mutated cat in it. What more do you need to know? You don't need to know anything else. You just need to jump into this episode and maybe jump out and watch this movie as well. Let's have it.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey you welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb.
Speaker 3: And this is Joe McCormick.
Speaker 1: And in this episode our cat. We festivities conclude. We're following up core episodes of Stuff to Blow Your Mind as well as a midweek Monster Fact that all revolved around cats, and so we of course had to choose a cat film for Weird House Cinema this week. We ultimately had had quite a few to consider, like are we going to go with cat as ally, cat as enemy? But we ultimately went with a B cinema favorite and one that multiple listeners have recommended to us over the years, the direct to video nineteen eighty eight or eighty seven mutant cat sci fi thriller Uninvited. Not to be confused with the many other films that are titled the Uninvited. This is just uninvited.
Speaker 3: What is it that's uninvited? There are many things uninvited in this film. I guess there's a cat that was not invited. There are also lots of people who were not invited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and one of the boyfriends were invited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there is there's an extra thing inside the cat that maybe you could interpret us thing that's uninvited, Like one of the people at least wanted to invite the cat but didn't realize it had a mutant thing inside of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then again, all cats are uninvited. They invite themselves. They are calling the shots here.
Speaker 3: Cats are not like vampires. They will not catch fire coming into a house uninvited.
Speaker 1: You may invite them, but they may not accept it. It's all up to them. So we selected this film before We recorded our core stuff to Blow your Mind episodes this week on the folklore Cats of the British Isles and the Cats of Cypress, and I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that this film managed to line up at all with anything we talked about in our core episodes. But you know, we have the idea here of a cat as a kind of vengeful demon, and we have cats on a boat. We spent the Cypress episode talking a good bit about cats on boats.
Speaker 3: That's right, trying to imagine stone age farmers getting all different kinds of animals on boats to take them across the sea to Cypress, and one of those animals would have been the cat. I guess maybe you know, despite how difficult it is known to be to herd cats, i'd imagine it's easier to herd cats than to herd foxes.
Speaker 1: Now, now, don't be confused, though this is not a movie you're going to learn a lot from. Uninvited is not a movie with lofty, dramatic or thematic ambitions. It is a creature feature, first and foremost, and one that subjectively misses the mark in several ways while also succeeding in being just an amazingly fun and weird ninety one minutes of cinema.
Speaker 3: I don't know who would say this thing misses the mark. I think this is this is like what creature features were invented for was to become this.
Speaker 1: Well, when I say missed the mark, imagine that there's there's like an archery target setup. Okay, the arrow is is fired, and perhaps this arrow we can call this arrow effective and horrifying creature design. Oh okay, it misses the entire target, but then it's a bull on an adjacent target. Okay, okay, and that's where we are, like, Yeah, the creature in this film is not the xenomorph from Ridley Scott's Alien, I understand, but it is amazing in its own right. I wouldn't change a thing about it. It's a total gromblin picture. Like, this creature is on the same level as some of the creatures from I don't know, Goolies and so forth. It has a triumph the insult, comic dog energy to it. So every time it's on screen, you're going to giggle, You're going to laugh. And is that what the filmmakers intended? Maybe not, but that is why people love One of the reasons people love this film.
Speaker 3: I think I am starting to get a feeling of Graydon Clark's sensibilities, and I think this was maybe supposed to be funny in the ways that it is. I think the moist puppet that appears repeatedly is It just seems impossible to me that Clark did not recognize that he had struck gold here with the potential comedic value. But that does bring up something I wanted to get into at the beginning. Uninvited is often described as a killer cat movie, but I have to flag that the actual creature that kills people is not the fluffy, cute kitty cat that we see in most shots. You know, so there is a cute kitty cat in the movie, you know that people pet and hold and it runs around and stuff.
Speaker 1: Beautiful tabby cat.
Speaker 3: Yes, whenever it is time for the beast to vomit death upon humankind, what happens is that this cute kitty cat, the external cat, opens its mouth and then we cut to an effect shot where a wet, screaming secondary animal emerges from inside the cat mouth, and this interior beast is represented by a puppet that looks like a cross between the damp weasel and pumpkinhead. And it is this creature that leaps out and bites and scratches and kills and deposits poison on the humans. So what is this beast inside the cute cat? Is it also a cat? And I was also wondering how does it turn back into the cute fluffy cat after each attack is finished? Does it climb back into the mouth.
Speaker 1: It does. You might have missed it, but there is one scene where we see it beginning to crawl back in.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, I've just forgotten that. Yeah, So I was wondering, though, are the interior beast and the exterior beast, like, are they necessarily attached or can they fully separate? And if they separate, can they both be independently alive or can the exterior cat not live without the interior cat or the interior whatever it is?
Speaker 1: These are questions we cannot fully answer. Yeah, the outer shell cat of cat thing seems to be dormant while it is killing and rampaging, and then it crawled into it like it's a cat suit bundy sock just sitting there. Yeah, but yeah, is that part of the cat. Is it a host for this parasite? We don't know. I mean, the only other major bit of evidence I might turn to is the ending to the picture or the ending to the main cut of the picture. But we'll have to come back to that one.
Speaker 3: So I want to mention I found online the Dutch VHS cover which has a couple of good taglines, one especially good one. I don't know if these would have appeared on other national packaging as well, but at least on this box. It has one tagline, which is cats have nine lives, you only have one. Nice ends with the ellipsis and then exclamation, one of the most cryptic punctuation combinations. Then the other tagline, not quite as good, is they paid for the holiday of a lifetime with their live.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, that that's rather inaccurate. I don't think anybody's paying for a holiday of a lifetime in this No.
Speaker 3: No, uh, well, I mean I think that the Yeah, the spring Breaker characters are initially looking for a good time, but they it quickly goes off the rails, like It's not like one of these movies where everybody's just they still think they're partying until Jason the moment Jason shows up and wax him with an axe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is not the cat thing meets love boat, as we'll get into when we discuss the plot.
Speaker 3: Though there is some Jason similarity. Like I was thinking about how the cat often attacks and punishes people right after they have sinned or done wrong. It does sort of follow some slasher movie logic there where with the cat as moral executioner. Not in every single case. Sometimes some rather innocent people catch it, but it's mostly you do evil and then the cat.
Speaker 1: Kills you, right, and the cat is the judge.
Speaker 3: Okay, So my elevator, which for uninvited is Garfield meets basket Case versus Gordon Gecko all wrapped up in some Jason takes Manhattan.
Speaker 1: Yep, that sounds accurate. Yeah, all right, well, let's listen to just a little bit of one of the trailers for this picture, because there's, as you might expect, there's gonna be a lot of screaming and cat gowling, and we can only take so much of that. But just a little taste here.
Speaker 3: They say cats have nine lives, You have only one a poisonous can. Now, how is that possible? Things gonna mind us and We're Gonna Die on.
Speaker 2: Uninvited, starring George Kennedy and Alex Cord.
Speaker 3: You'll never look at a count.
Speaker 1: In the same way again, all right. So if you want to watch Uninvited for yourself again, that's Uninvited from nineteen eighty seven or nineteen eighty eight, depending on who's classifying it. Well, you can stream this one in a number of places, but the vinegar syndrome blu ray that we mentioned already is the ideal physical media choice for this picture. The footage is scanned and restored in four K from its thirty five millimeters original camera negative, and it features a nice smattering of extras, including the ninety three minute alternate international edit, which is quite hard to find elsewhere. I wasn't able to find it streaming anywhere and so forth. It features an alternate intro and outro, as well as the horrendous Uninvited theme song by Chili Charles and.
Speaker 3: Tom gunn oh Man.
Speaker 1: That's so funny, absolutely terrible. This is one of those cases where it's like, yes, you were right to cut this theme song for the American audience.
Speaker 3: It sounds like the theme music to a one season running sitcom from the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's terrible like kat Thing was going to have his own his or her own TV show.
Speaker 3: Yeah boo, but doo do do so?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a great disc. I like yourself many years ago, rented this from Video Drome, the video rental store here in Atlanta, and you know, as I was returning it just yesterday, I ran into a couple of listeners and had a delightful little conversation. They were from out of town. I'm not going to name them here because I didn't clear that with them when I was chatting with them, but it was nice to run into a couple of listeners at Video Drome. We've heard from a few different listeners from out of town who, while visiting Atlanta have made the journey, the pilgrimage to the Drum.
Speaker 3: That's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so's There's a non zero chance you'll run into me there, but you don't count on it. You might catch me. All right. Let's talk about the people behind this film, starting with the director, of the writer and one of the producers. It's great and Clark. Sometimes I have pronounced his name Grayton Clark, and I think that's because he frequently casts Jodn Baker, and so I kind of take the Jodon energy and create the Great On. So I may refer to him as Great On Clark at some point here as well.
Speaker 3: I think I hear it with the cadence of Raydon Chong.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that too is probably influencing it.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Grayton Clark was born in nineteen forty three, American director and writer that you might remember from past Weird House Cinema episodes because we've covered two of his pictures before, both from nineteen eighty Without Warning, which was our first episode of Weird House Cinema, and then we subsequently subsequently talked about the Return. So we talked about a Graydon Clark proto Predator film as well as a cattle mutilation thriller.
Speaker 3: I think both of those movies have some ironic sensibility, but they were both more straight forward attempts at horror than Uninvited. I think Uninvited is he's cutting loose a little bit more than in the other two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it may be attempting to check off some extra boxes, especially for international distribution like this one has a certain certain amount of I would say, especially in the US, cut kind of a PG sexploitation quality to it, but in a weird way, like it was like it was written and conceived for the most part by like a twelve year old, a.
Speaker 3: Lot of bathing suit antics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bathing suit antics, and like, yeah, well, we'll get into it. But it has this kind of weird PG quality that I really like. I mean, yeah, it's seen plenty of exploitation films that are a whole lot sleazier, and it's nice to encounter one that has pulled back somewhat, so Graydon's Clark. Other film credits included Let's se a pair of black exploitation films, seventy three's Tom and seventy six is Black Shampoo, some horror comedy, There's seventy seven Satan's Cheerleaders, and not one, but two films featured on Mystery Science Theater three thousand, seventy Nine's Angels Brigade and the nineteen eighty four Jodn Baker International cop film Final Justice.
Speaker 3: I had forgotten that Graydon Clark did Final Justice, especially since we just recently rewatched the Mystery Science Theater of this one man. Final Justice is so much It is not anywhere near as fun of a movie as the three Graydon Clark movies we've done on Weird House. It is a step or two below.
Speaker 1: There's no specio development to that one. As I recall, it's just an international cop film starring Jodan.
Speaker 3: It's just Jodn Baker running around Malta in a sheriff suit that almost looks like one of those old Nashville country music kind of outfits and just shooting bad guys. And he gets into prison like twelve times in the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one, and there's as the main thing I remember from Final Justice, of course, is there's this great shot like through Jodon's arm, like you're behind him and he has his hands on his hips and we're shooting through the gap between his arm and his side. It's ridiculous. It's a little thing. Sometimes.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately I had to remember it's not from Final Justice. It's from Mitchell that has that great riff in the mst where he's like digging around in the shower in his apartment and they go, what does this thing do?
Speaker 1: Ah? Joe Don rest in peace. Yeah, recently passed, but yeah, he was always a fun screen presence. All right, Let's see other films worth noting from Graydon Clark. He did a couple of films that were made in post Soviet Russia ninety twos Dance Macabre and ninety three's Russian Holiday, nineteen eighty three video game sex comedy named title Joysticks, a nineteen eighty nine skinhead movie, ninety four is Dark Future, and his last film, Star Games. In nineteen eighty eight. He worked with Jodan bay Are on three pictures, and he did tend to gravitate toward using a fair number of older, established actors who were working in B cinema at the time, something we definitely see in today's film and in general worked with a lot of notable B movie actors of the seventies and eighties, including Wingshauser, Jack Palance, Robert England, and John Kerodyine. Not everybody gets to work with John Garretty, so most.
Speaker 3: Oh weird that John Keridyine wasn't in the movie we watched today, since he is in most films.
Speaker 1: He was shooting three other films at the same time simultaneously, I see so great and clark films are generally not considered good movies by most people. Virtually none of his films cracked five stars were above out of ten on Internet Movie Database. Not that that means anything really, but these are b movies, often with a certain and exploitive air to them in one way or another, but they often strike that perfect cheesy movie balance. You know, it's a film that's for the most part competently made in involving talented professionals, but a film that also makes wild swings and doesn't land every punch, or at least not in the way they were intended, but still results in a very watchable and entertaining ride.
Speaker 3: If I have a technical critique of Uninvited, the biggest one is that too many shots are taking place outside on a boat, and it is so windy it is hard to hear the dialogue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, apparently this was a tough shoot because on one hand, there it's like NonStop cats. So they had a number of cats playing the one cat in the picture and cats. If you've ever if you know anything about animals and film, you know that cats are notoriously difficult to shoot. Everyone generally is like, yes, bring me a dog.
Speaker 3: Any day.
Speaker 1: A dog will hit its mark and do what you want it to do.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Horses are also a known commodity. Cats you can try, you can see what you can get out of them, but a wilder element, you know, like cats with cats, it's like working with the you know, I don't know, one of the more difficult actors and out there. I don't even know if there's a proper analogy, like it's cats. Not only are cat's going to do their own thing, but cats often look like they are doing their own thing in movies, even like a really you can think of like really good movies that have cats in them, and the scenes in which you see the cats or that lean to heavily on cats doing stuff. It almost kind of throws you out of the picture a little bit sometimes because like you can just look at that cat and you're like, yeah, that cat is just checked out. That cat's doing its own thing. It is not in the moment, it's not in the scene. It didn't even read the script.
Speaker 3: I wonder if longtime directors could do a comparison, like what is more difficult cat versus the most notoriously difficult actors like Lawrence Tierney or something like that, You know, which one is more stressful on set?
Speaker 1: I don't know. There's probably some crossover there in the experiences are the other difficult things about the film those courses. Most of it is shot on a boat, and I didn't even think about this, but this is something the cinematographer pointed out in one of the Vinegar Syndrome extras, Like that meant that when they're out on the boat, they only have so much power, and that limits how much lighting they can use. Yeah, and cats don't necessarily like being on a boat either, so that also constrains their performance. But cats, they this was a decision by grad And to have cats in this picture. Apparently he was thinking about it being rats, which that would have been scary, That would have made for a ridiculous puppet and rats on a boat, you know. That's that also has a lot of a lot to back it up. But they said, no, it's going to be cats. It's going to be a killer mutant cat. Obvious John Carpenter's the thing vibes to a certain extent here. Oh yeah, but yeah, they went with the cat.
Speaker 3: Now this makes me wonder what was the thematic seed of the film, Like, what is the core element that they were trying to get down to? Is it boat? Is it? Like this has to be a boat movie and everything else was around that or was it. Obviously you're saying it's not cat, but I guess it would have been maybe a mutant creature from a lab. Is that the core?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think the core was we're going to shoot it on a boat, and we need a mutant creature. We want to hit that sci fi horror zone. Okay, And yeah, everything else they just kind of figured out from there, including you know, first finding the boat, then finding people to wrangle the cats, and they did use them to understand, like a proficient professional cat wranglers here, this is not just getting me a boat, give me some cats. So you know, supposedly everything here is above board, but again, even cat pros are going to only get you so far.
Speaker 3: The exterior killer cat is very cute, and if they were switching them out with with lookalikes, I couldn't tell. It always looked like the same cat to me.
Speaker 1: I want to mention really quickly that the individuals involved with the puppet cats that we see, oh it's the it's Jim Bolden born fifty six and Debbie Bolden, and these two did like animal artificial animal effects on a number of other films, including Loaded Weapon one from ninety three, Ace Venturro When Nature Calls from ninety five, and a ninety one White Fang film.
Speaker 3: So did they do the rhinoceros that gives birth to Jim Carrey one hopes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they were animal makers inc. I don't know if they're still around, but they were active for a little bit there in the late eighties and into the mid nineties. All right, let's get into the human actors a bit here. So I want to divide things up into factions here, okay, because essentially we have two main factions and then an individual suspended between the two. We have our corporate creepers, and then we also have our spring breakers.
Speaker 3: That is pretty much it. You've got your I guess the spring Burger is supposed to be like early twenties. I think a couple of them mentioned being in graduate school, so like grad students and adjacent frame who are just looking to party, looking to go to the beach and have a good time. And then yeah, you've got these Gordon Gecko types who are out there just trying to run some greasy deals and get away to the Cayman Islands with the suitcases full of cash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the leader of this faction is Wall Street Walter Graham. This is our sleazy, yacht owning, womanizing, money laundering employee, abusing, charismatic millionaire dirt bag. Compare him to any contemporary figures you like. And he is played here by Alex Cord, who lived nineteen thirty three through twenty twenty one. Probably best remembered by many for his main cast role on TV's Airwolf from eighty four through eighty six, but it's credits go back to nineteen sixty one. Did a lot of TV, including episodes of Night Gallery, Mission Impossible, and Murder. She wrote. His film credits include sixty nine Stiletto, seventy twos of the Dead or Alive, eighty one's Goliatha Waits, eighty four's Jungle Warriors with John Vernon and Sybil Danning, and ninety five Hologram Man.
Speaker 3: I have several thoughts about well, all of the corporate characters, but especially at Wall Street. Walter Graham here is the big boss of the corporate schemers, and he he has a great look. For one thing, he has this just really iconic mustache. Yes, But another thing I was thinking about Robert I pulled up a picture for you to look at here. So this is supposed to be set on a yacht in the Caribbean. Yeah right, it's in the you know, it's in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean, and so you and it's supposed to be warm outside. But our corporate characters, this guy dresses in like a wool sweater on his yacht. Are you seeing this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yep, he's wearing a sweater on. George gets kind of windy at night, I.
Speaker 3: Guess, so George Kennedy, who will get to in a minute. He wears a suit jacket like the whole time. Everybody else is just wearing bathing suits.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's just it's what he it's what he's comfortable in. I don't know, okay, yeah, maybe he's cold blooded. You know, he's the hopefully play at Wall Street type.
Speaker 3: Yes, he is Reptilian.
Speaker 1: Well I think Cord Yeah, just completely nails it here. He's believably charismatic and sleazy. It's a fun performance. And you can't wait for this guy to get killed by the cat thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they save that for toward the end. Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: All right now. His right hand man and muscle is Mike Harvey, and he is played by the legendary George Kennedy, who lived nineteen twenty five through twenty sixteen. George Kennedy, of course, won the nineteen sixty eight Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role in Cool Hand Luke memorable performance there. His TV credits go back to fifty six and he did a lot of it, including seventy five episodes of Dallas. Movie Wise, many of you might remember him from nineteen eighty eight's The Naked Gun and its sequel, but he appeared in all manner of projects big and small, prestige and schlock. So, for instance, you'll find him in sixty three Charade, sixty five's The Sons of Katie Elder, sixty seven's The Dirty Doesen, seventy five is The Eiger Sanction, and eighty one's Modern Romance. But he's also in the likes of eighty one's Just Before Dawn, eighty seven's Creep Show, two eighty eight's Demon Warp, and just in multiple disaster films. You know, especially from like the seventies and maybe the early eighties. Always a fun screen presence he tended to play like blunt, straightforward characters, but could go like tough guy with a heart of gold, like in Cool Hand Luke, or like a solid heavy villain role as in this film this one.
Speaker 3: I was a little confused about what his power level relationship is to Wall Street Walter Graham. There's another guy we'll get to in a second who's definitely a henchman like Albert, who we're about to talk about, is definitely Graham's henchman. Can't quite tell with the Mike character here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because at times he's speaking to Wall Street Walter Graham almost like they're equal, like their partners, you know, bossing him a little bit and reminding him about what's important. Yeah, so yeah, right hand man or part nor. I think you could maybe push it in either direction.
Speaker 3: There's a good scene where he it doesn't quite get fully bitten off, but it looks like, for a second his leg is getting bitten off by a cat.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, he gets, he gets, he's he gets a pretty early attack, all right. And then yeah, Albert, this other character, who, as you said, is definitely a hinchman of some sort. I thought maybe he was like a money man like he's something. Maybe it's the glasses through me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's weird, strange character. So this is Albert played by klu Gooliger who lived nineteen twenty eight to twenty twenty two. I love klue Gooliger and a lot of stuff. He's the boss of the warehouse in Return of the Living Dead. Yeah you remember that. He's got a funny role where he gets called in by his employees because oops, they accidentally got a zombie in the warehouse. And you know, there's one scene where he's having him open the door. He's like, you open the door, I'm gonna go stand back over here. But in this movie, it's an unusual kind of role because he is a hinchman. That is his role in the plot. He's like the button man, but he is Wall Street Walter's weird neurotic button man. He's like a cross between Gary Busey and Lethal Weapon and George Costanza.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. Yeah, yeah, there's some definite comic wrinkles to this character. So Klute Gooliger lived nineteen twenty eight through twenty twenty two, and his career can essentially be divided into two distinct phases. So his initial TV heavy career. This included a co starring role on as Billy the Kid on The Tall Man from nineteen sixty through sixty one opposite Barry Sullivan from Planet to the Vampires.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, one of the Spacemen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did one hundred and four episodes of The Virginian plus he did all sorts of other TV shows during this time period. But then later in life he essentially became a horror movie staple in his own right, actually beginning with seventy three's The Mystery in Dracula's Castle, but really kicking into high gear in eighty five with both a Nightmare on Elm Street Part two and as you mentioned, the Return of the Living Dead.
Speaker 3: In Nightmare on Elm Street Part two, he is either the main character or the main character's friend's dad. I think he's the main character's dad. And there's a funny scene if I'm remembering correctly, where he is attacked by a possessed parakeet.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I don't often see that in these Nightmare on Elm Street highlight videos that people put together online.
Speaker 3: Not a lot of highlights come from part two. That's not no, I don't know I think that one has been maybe assessed a little bit more favorably in recent years. It does have a cool scene where Freddy cuts open his own scalp and peels it back to reveal his brain.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, that's why I don't think I ever saw that one. Yeah, I think I've mainly seen the original from Wes Craven, parts of some of the Dream Warrior era films and what New Okay, maybe I've seen several I've seen New Nightmare, and then I've seen the remake they did several years back.
Speaker 3: Nightmare two is has been notable for a long time for having pretty overwhelming homo erotic themes, which for a long time I think was sort of treated in the fan community as more a source of comedy because they were seen as unintentional, kind of unintentional, almost taken as like a kind of Freudian slip thing. But I think more recently it's been read a different way that maybe like, oh, this is just sort of like what the thematic content of the movie is, and that's kind of.
Speaker 1: Interesting, interesting, Maybe I should check it out. All right, So after a Return of the Living Dead, Guliger appeared and let's see eighty six is Hunter's Blood eighty sevens From a Whisper to a Scream, as well as The Hidden eighty nine's Teen Vamp nineteen nineties, the Willies ninety four's puppet Master five. His son, actor and director John Guliger, also cast him in his two thousand and five film Feast, as well as its two sequels. He also pops up in twenty twelve's Piranha three Double D. I did not see this one, and then a couple of his final credits. We're kind of a return to non genre work. He's in twenty sixteen's Blue Jay, written by and starring Marked Deplaw, as well as a cameo in twenty nineteen's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Oh, didn't catch him in the Tarantino movie. I helped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's I think it's just a very small role cameo. It was like in a bookstore or something. I do not remember spotting him, but he was in there.
Speaker 3: Okay, So those are all the bad guys, all the corporate creeps. But we also have a cast of more likable characters, the characters of varying likability, the spring Breakers, the twenty somethings that were just out looking to have a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'd say out of the spring Breakers, we ultimately only have like one really likable character. Yeah, and that is going to be Martin. Martin is a biology major or I forget where he is in his schooling, but he is a future biologist.
Speaker 3: They say he's a grad student.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, he's a grad student. Played by Eric Larson born in nineteen sixty seven, an American actor who also appeared in the nineteen ninety film Demon Wind and pops up in one episode of TV's Angel.
Speaker 3: At First, the main characters of this movie are some of the last characters introduced. Did you notice that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, because initially we meet Bobby and Suzanne, who are a couple of really almost interchangeable spring Breakers who are wearing just like what just like basically just their swimsuits and parts of an airbrush T shirt like they are spring spring spring breaking. They are spring breaking hard here.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're in I think the starts in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. They say they're in Florida. Look into party, and they are the ones who initially make contact with Wall Street Walter Graham and are invited aboard his yacht to party some more, and that's how the whole thing gets going. But then they also end up meeting some random spring breakers grad student dudes on a like in a marine somewhere, and then they're like, hey, come on this boat with us. And obviously wall Street Walter does not want all these.
Speaker 1: Dudes, right, but he also for plot reasons, is like, Okay, all your brand new boyfriends can come aboard my sex shot as well. So Bobby and Suzanne here. Bobby is the curly blonde spring Breaker and she is played by Claire Carey born sixty seven. Her first TV and film credit was eighty seven's Zombie High, and in nineteen eighty eight she appeared in both this and the horror movie Waxwork. She pops up as a skater in two thousand and one's Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles. Remained active in TV through at least twenty nineteen, and then Suzanne, the straight haired blonde spring Breaker, is played by Sherry Shadow born nineteen sixty, Atlanta born actress whose other credits include eighty eighth Death Spa and Desert Warrior, as well as nineteen eighty nine's arena, which we've previously covered on the show.
Speaker 3: That sort of arena was sort of a creature effects showcase.
Speaker 1: Yeah, creature effects like boxing movie. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was a lot of fun. Let's say she's also in ninety four, is on Deadly Ground and did one hundred and forty six episodes of The Young and the Restless from ninety six through ninety nine.
Speaker 3: All Right, so they initially are going to go on the ad, but then they also find some some cool boys to bring with.
Speaker 1: Them, right, and that includes Martin, who we already mentioned, but it also includes Lance. Lance is the wrestler. That's his whole thing is he's a little beefier than the other two, you know, has like a lower center of gravity and is there to grapple. He is played by Bo Dremmond born nineteen sixty three. His other credits include eighty five's My Science Project and ninety one's Frankenstein The College Years, which I don't know much about, but it looks, oh, it looks horrendous.
Speaker 3: This is the jock of the group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's the jock. And then we also have the preppy. This is the character Corey, played by Rob estes. Corey is a huge Walter Graham family. He knows who this guy is. He's like, Oh, I can't believe we're about to meat wall Street Walter Graham.
Speaker 3: He says he's been on the cover of Forbes magazine twice twice. Wow.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Corey here is one of the least likable of the bunch. But the actor who plays in robst has appeared on eighty nine episodes of Days of Our Lives in eighty six and eighty seven prior to this film. He went on to do one hundred episodes of Silk Stalkings in the early nineties, ninety six episodes of melrose Place, in forty six episodes of nine O two one OHO, and has continued to work in TV and film. It looks like he was nominated for a twenty ten teen Choice Award. They apparently had a Parental Unit Award category for like mom and Dad characters. He was nominated alongside co star Lori Laughlin, didn't win. I don't know whose parents beat beat beat them out that year. I like the idea of this award, though, best parents, like the parents in movies, don't get enough love. This needs to be an Oscar category as well.
Speaker 3: I think they should have an actor categories for best jock, best biology major, best best Preppy.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, absolutely, this would be great. If slasher movies were more in style, you could have the Slashies. Maybe there is? Is there ben award called the Slashies? If not, there should be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, I see where you could have like best nerd, best punk Rocker, best best jock. Yeah all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right. So those are our two main factions. And then we have a character that is kind of suspended between the two because she's also young and so she has a lot in common with the spring Breakers, but she works for wall Street Walter Graham because she is the captain of the boat. And this is Rachel played by Tony Hudson born nineteen sixty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is the other main good character along with Martin, the biology guy. She's I would say the movie actually does a pretty good job at making her a sympathetic protagonist, especially since we meet her so late. As I was saying earlier, like the character that we end up liking the most and are the survivors at the end are the ones we meet last.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the film is like we have one more blonde lady to introduce you to, and she's gonna be the main one. Yeah, so you can get a little confusing. Tony Hudson's credits include supporting roles in nineteen eighty four's Places in the Heart, as well as leather Face Texas Chainsaw Massacre three. This is the one that featured Vigo Mortensen as one of the Sawyer Klan.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, okay, you know, I think I've never seen that one.
Speaker 1: I have, but it has been it's been a long time. It was. I think this one was, in many ways kind of like a rehash of the first one, kind of a sort of sort of a remake of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre with some you know, with some updated vibes. And yeah, that about the only thing I remember is Vigo popping up as a cannibal redneck.
Speaker 3: This character is another reason Uninvited reminds me of Jason Takes Manhattan, because you may recall in Jason Takes Manhattan, of course, it's like it's a slasher movie on a boat, but one of the main characters is the son of a boat captain who is being like prepared to be a boat captain. Himself. That's the same thing with Tony Hudson's character here. She is the daughter of a boat captain who has like inherited the family boat captain ship, and she's you know, and like there's a lot of drama about the fact that she's a boat captain and wanting to be a boat captain on her own terms.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, I would say this character is more fleshed out than most of the others, and it's a decent performance. I like Rachel in this picture. You're rooting for her, Yeah, even though she is forced to make some ethical compromises.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. Multiple times they're like, yes, somebody did fall overboard, but we can't go back and look for them, and here are the reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. Two more credits I want to mention. These are behind the scenes Nicholas Joseph von Sternberg. It was the cinematographer born nineteen fifty one, son of Silent and Sound Era Academy Award nominated director Joseph von Sternberg. He did thirty one's Morocco in nineteen thirty two Shanghai Express, those were the nominated pictures. So the son here Nicholas Joseph von Sternberg grew up in the filmmaking business, and among his best mainstream films are probably Let's See Texasville from nineteen ninety directed by Peter Bogdanovich, and Crime and Punishment from two thousand and two. This was one was directed by Menahem Golan who directed The Apple, but it had a great cast. They had like Vanessa Redgraves and John Hurt and so forth. But Sternberg von Sternberg, the younger here also worked on a load of B movies, seventy five's Dolomite, seventy nine's Tourist Trap, Graydon Clark's Wacko from eighty two Joysticks, eighty four's Jungle Warriors, Final Justice, Dark Future, Star Games, and more. And then finally, the score for this picture is by Dan Slider. Dates not public record as far as I could tell. He also scored eighty eighths Demonwarp, which also starred George Kennedy. This was his first grade in Clark picture, but he'd work with him several more times and even has a story credit on ninety four's Dark Future.
Speaker 3: I think I have not seen Demon Warp, but have been been circling it for a while. One night, that'll happen.
Speaker 1: So the score here, I thought it was fun and effective. The main thing that really struck me is they keep using that Labyrinth style synth cascade effect. We've talked about this before, It's popped up in other pictures. Did we ever determine what the name for this is?
Speaker 3: Oh? Are you talking about the whole tone scale? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's it.
Speaker 3: Okay, that did come up, and the listener contributed to our trying to find the name for that. But yes, where it's like, it's not really any actual key in music, so it produces this kind of weird, ambiguous feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I generally associate with any time Jareth is doing something in Labyrinth, we get that effect, and anytime the cat is doing anything suspicious in this picture, we also get that effect.
Speaker 3: All right, you ready to look at the plot.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Well. You always want to begin a movie with a strong image at the top to establish themes, you know, what should people be thinking about? And here they chose an office building. You know, there you go, a cat office building?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean this is the last movie we discussed in Weird House Cinema also had an evil, ominous office building. So you know, it lets us know that corporations are up to no good right off the bat.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, I guess that's true. Yeah, we have a theme of business malfeasance. Sure. But so after this, we go inside and there are a couple of doctors examining an X ray. The bones in the image do not look human, so maybe this some kind of animal. What animal could it be? And one of the doctors says there is a mass growing inside the subject, maybe a tumor, maybe a teratoma. The other doctor seems perplexed. He says he's never seen anything like this, and he's like, well, we got to just bring the subject in. We'll cut it open and we'll see what's what's growing in there. And I was looking at this doctor, I was like, is this Gradon Clark.
Speaker 1: It totally is Gradon Clark. Yeah, okay, yeah, he's now he's only present in the intro for the US cut of the film. The international cut has a shortened intro where we don't get this particular scene, but in the international version of the film, he does factor into the outro, presumably playing a different character.
Speaker 3: So we see a guy in a lab coat, go into a room full of cages and retrieve a cat from one of the cages and bring it into an operating room. Do we need any description for our main cat other than I think this is the variety we call an orange tabby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just an absolutely adorable orange tabby. I mean, I believe multiple orange tabbies playing this one cat character, multiple feline actors. Yeah, it is an orange tabby cat, likely male. To understand, most tabbies are male, though we used to have a female one. Memes would have us know that all male orange tabbies share a single brain cell, and when it's not their turn to have the brain cell, they do dumb things. I see, But beautiful cat, to be sure on the outside. On the inside, as we're going to see, there's something else going on.
Speaker 3: Right, So the doctors get out the hypodermic needle. Seems like they're about to sedate the cat for surgery to figure out what is that growing inside it. But suddenly it just scampers off the edge of the operating table and down the hall. There really were no precautions here, and now the guys holding it and then it just runs away and they're like, oops.
Speaker 1: They've never done Like, they didn't even have the door shut, the door that I usually have the door shut.
Speaker 3: Yes, so one of the doctors. But it then seemingly disproportionate to the level of lack of care. We just saw. One of the doctors sprints after it. The other one gets on the phone. This is a great clark. He's on the phone going code red, code red. Uh. He calls it by like a serial number has just escaped, and he's saying, use extreme caution, radiation, security radiation. What. So the cat runs down a bunch of metal stairs in what looks like a cinderblock bunker, and we see dudes in hazard suits chasing after it, their red lights flashing, sirens going off, and Rob, did you what do you make of this hazard suit? It looks I don't know, it looks like a hood that's silvery, like a hood made out of aluminum foil with eye holes and just like a big open, frowning mouth hole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks like it. We're just kind of like saggy el Santo. It's kind of the overall feel that I get from this, but it's frightening, and the shot we get it feels like it's the cat's point of view, like this is a terrifying image this would bring. It makes sense that this brings the monster out of the cat.
Speaker 3: Right, So the hazmat guys corner the cat. One of them shoots it with a dart gun, and then the cat seems at first effectively sedated. It falls down and it's like it's going to sleep. But then as the handlers approach with a carrying case, the unconscious cat's mouth opens and a weird, smaller, much moister cat like puppet emerges from the bigger cat's mouth. And then you see blood splatter on the walls, splatter across all of the safety signs mounted on the cinder blocks. You hear screams, and this is our first cat attack.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah again. Kind of looks like a newborn cat, kind of like a hairball, kind of like a lion. Definitely a gromlin. It's a delightfully hideous looking puppet here. And you know, maybe the hairball thing, maybe that's what they were working on at this lab. They were trying to genetically engineer a hairball free cat, and they created a cat that has like a living hairball cat inside.
Speaker 3: It, Right, the hairball becomes its own organism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can't help but suspect maybe this was subconsciously even a part of the monster's genesis and Grayton Clark's imagination. Like cats are always grow always puking up gross stuff, and so and so's it's a natural step to imagine them puking up some sort of a killer cat.
Speaker 3: So anyway, the cat, once again in fluffy mode, once again cute, scampers out into the parking garage, and here we see the two doctors pursue it, and the security guard also they run out there and they proceed with a cat hunt among the cars while the cat scampers from place to place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's going to be a lot of the cat scampering from place to place in this film. One of the things that I instantly love about it because here's the thing, Like, if you've ever been around cats, you know that they have different sorts of movements and walks depending on what their aims are. You know, such as the way they'll creep while hunting something. You only ever see the cat move one way in this picture, Like clearly that's the only way that the trainers can get the cat to go from point A to point B for the shot.
Speaker 3: I think I think all shots are of the cat scampering to an out of view food bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: There's also a good exchange where the other doctor says doctor, oh well, the Graydon Clark doctor's name is doctor Gray. He says, doctor Gray, you saw what just happened in that stairwell, and doctor Gray is like, shut up about that, just shut up about that. We've got to kill that cat. So it's like they're trying to keep something secret here. I think maybe they're doing some unethical experiments.
Speaker 1: Who knows. Yeah. By the way, Grad and Clark pretty good here in this little director's cameo. Oh yeah, he did other acting roles, you know, outside of pictures that he directed, so it makes sense. But yeah, I kind of liked him here.
Speaker 3: We should sometime on the show do a list or a ranking of our favor of our directors who make the best director cameos. I, for one, really love when David Cronenberg goes goes in front of the camera.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. Cronenberg has had some really fun ones, including Jason X where he is killed by Jason Boy.
Speaker 3: He's very good, but also is like the creepiest character ever in Night Breed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Night Breed. That's when we might come back to but but but yeah, occasionally you'll get a you know a lot of a lot of directors that have fun cameos. We're most recently talking about Scorsese and.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right in Dreams First Always Dreams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have a fun little role there.
Speaker 3: But anyway, so, yeah, the doctors and the security guards are running around the Graydon Clark doctor yanks the security guard's gun out of its whole story. He's like, give me that. He's just taken charge. But these these slobs are no match for cat thing. It picks them off one at a time, and I was truly laughing out loud at just the random meow sounds as they're running around in the parking garage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just to build tension.
Speaker 3: There's one cool shot when when it's attacking one of them, where we just see a shadow, a shadow of like a cat head opening two wide, the mouth opening too wide, and then the wet puppet wriggling out in silhouette. But of it kills them all. It kills Gregon Clark as well, and eventually the cat gets outside and it runs out into the night. All right. So the next thing is we're going to meet some of our main characters. This time it is Bobby and Suzanne. These are our like early twenties spring breakers in Florida looking for where the party's at. They're here to have a good time, but it seems like the problem is they don't have any money and they don't have any hotel reservations. So they're in town and they're just flying by the seat of their bikinis trying to figure out what to do. So they like go into a fancy hotel lobby to hang out, and then the main tries to kick them out because they're not staying at the hotel. But here in this fancy hotel they happened to meet wall Street Walter, the rich sleeves bag and I would say, the human antagonist of the filmy, who offers to help them out. Why don't they just go join him for dinner?
Speaker 1: And yeah, and again they are just dressed in skimpy swimwear and shredded air brushed T shirts. At this point it's not even clear from the context. No, they do have some luggage. They do have some luggage. I would have some bags.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but wall Street Walter tells them to leave the bags in the lobby while they go go get dinner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I love that he invites them in to just dine with him at this fancy hotel with them just wearing their spring break get up and you know, walking past all the other swells. It just kind of like give him a little side eye over this. So it's like he's a pig. Everyone knows he's a pig, and he seems really comfortable in that. He's like, yeah, I just grabbed a couple of young ladies, just you know, basic, off the beach, and I'm going to dine with them here.
Speaker 3: But I also like the kind of mental shortcuts this movie is making when it has characters arriving in town for spring break and they're wearing bathing suits, like seemingly for the travel to get there. It's not like they would wear normal clothes to travel and then put on the bathing suits when they go down to the beach.
Speaker 1: Well, on the spring break bus just lets you out directly onto the beach, So you gotta be good, you gotta be ready to go right right when it arrives.
Speaker 3: So let's see the next scene is the part where George Kennedy include Gooliger show up in a chauffeured car, and then I had to put in a screen shop for you to look at here, Rob, what is the deal with the guy who opens the car door for them at the hotel? I guess this is a footman or you know, a hotel worker of some companies, dressed like Midwest Dracula.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's got the big top hat. I don't know. It definitely looked goofy, though maybe it's accurate. Maybe this is exactly what was going on at fancy hotels in Florida at the time.
Speaker 3: Fort Lauderdale Hotel dorman have like they wear a big red k in the top hat. Yeah. Anyway, these characters here are Mike and Albert. Mike and Albert head into the restaurant to meet with wall Street Walter, and they are annoyed that he is he is getting distracted from their important crime business by trying to creep on these two women. So Walter departs with his associates, but he invites Bobby and Suzanne to join him on his yacht for a party later on. So what's the business on the yacht? Well, our crime fraud exception trio here. They they have to meet with some other business guy to do some shady deals. It's never really specified exactly what they're doing, just general, you know, corrupt illegal business stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some sort of illegal money stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The guy they meet with, he's more or less like, hey, I enjoy doing corrupt, illegal things with you, but now I'm worried about the SEC. And they don't like the other guys don't like that this guy is worried about the SEC. He's like, what if they send me to jail? And the other guys are like, uh oh. So they get suspicious of Frankie the squealer here, and they decide that there's only one way to be sure that he never squeals. They've got to shut him up for good. And so Albert klue Googlger here, he holds the squeally guy down and drowns him in the hot tub on the yacht. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I mean, the thing that I was thinking is like, they've got to use this hot tub later, like having a party. I've never owned a hot tub, but it's my understanding that they're a little bit sensitive and you can set them off by doing normal things that don't involve murdering people in them. So I don't know, maybe they have some they have a really good handle on the chemicals. Here.
Speaker 3: Also, after out he makes Albert murder this guy wall Street, Walter is like, Albert, the party is in half an hour, So after you've cleaned up this mess here, get everything ready, will you. It's like, wow, I really hope Albert washes his hands before he puts out the crew today. Yeah, this is.
Speaker 1: Why you really need a larger criminal organization so that you don't have goons that are having to to do double duty both cleaning up your murders and also putting out your food.
Speaker 3: I was only hired to kill Frankie the squealer. I it was not in the job description to put out party trays. Oh somewhere in here, there's also a random scene just where we got a check in with the cat. See what the Cat's up to? So a guy robs a gas station attendant who the gas station attendant was being nice to the cat thing. It was the guy was putting out a saucer of milk for cat thing. Cat thing was lapping it up. And while he's doing that, some dude runs up and like beats him up and steals from the gas station register and drives away in a pickup truck, and cat Thing jumps into the truck after the thief. It's like the vengeful poll of justice.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah. At this point, really we have no reason to be against cat Thing. He seems to be following his own moral compass.
Speaker 3: So while the thieves are driving away, he's got in a pompless too. The thieves are driving away, the cat Thing pukes up itself and then attacks the driver through the back windscreen, causing the truck to crash. And this was a laugh out loud scene for me because of the sound effects in the truck scene. They had one glass breaking sound effect, you know, like a crash tinkle tinkle, which they just played on a loop multiple times as the cars the truck is rolling down a hill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because otherwise it's very impressive looking wreck. Yeah yeah, roll this truck.
Speaker 3: So now we're going to have our spring breakers combined. We're getting to a scene that has some of the funniest dialogue developments I think in the movie. So there's like a scene at a restaurant patio overlooking a bunch of docks with boats tied up. Where we're going to meet our boy spring Breakers. These are Lance and Corey and they're hanging out together at a table. Cory is, of course reading the Street Journal, and Corey says, Fort Lauderdale at spring Break, no place like it? Agree, and Lance says, no contest, haha, and they high five. They high five for that, and then Lance says, you know, let's go down to the beach and check out the action. But Corey says, my friend, the beach is for riff raff. You want to find a classy chick, you go to the marina. That's where the money is. Come on, everybody knows that. And meanwhile Bobby and Suzanne are wandering up. I guess they already went to the yacht party the night before, but we never see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, scene missing on the party. We'll see the aftermath of the party later. But it was a big bass. It seems like it just consisted of them going out drinking and dancing while I guess Walter and maybe his men like watch.
Speaker 3: On unclear, yeah, unclear.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the ladies walk up to the boy's table and they ask if they can sit down and the spring Breaker boys are thrilled, but then uh oh, here comes the drag. Their friend Martin comes to join the four of them, and Martin is the biology major. He's like, hey, guys, yeah, I can't find any place to stay. The whole town's booked. And Corey's like, not now Hedgeworth. I guess that's Martin's last name, not now Hedgeworth. We're busy. So his friends here think this guy is a real loser. But why'd they go with him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this isn't one of those classic why are these people friends moments?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly, the jock, the Wall Street journal guy, and the biology major who only two of them seem to like each other. Yeah, but anyway, after this, okay, so literally I've told you everything that has transpired between these people, so I didn't leave anything out yet. So the girls they sat down. The boys are like, hey, this other guy is sitting with us. They have not introduced themselves to each other, they've not traded names or anything yet. Just the ladies arrive at the table, they ask if they can sit down. They sit down, and then Bobby says, last night we met this guy, Walter. He's got this great yacht, and then Corey says, wait, are you talking about Wall Street Walter. I mean, this guy is the best arbitrageur in the world. I mean he's made million He's made more millions than anybody. And then Suzanne says, must be the same guy. You should see his boat. Bobby says, well, anyway, we're supposed to set sail this morning on a cruise for the Caribbean, be gone a couple of days, maybe more. Why don't you guys come with us. They have not traded names yet, they said. They just sat down at the table.
Speaker 1: And they're just like, hey, we're going out to sea with this guy, who you know up clearly doesn't have any ulterior motives, so come along with us. He'll surely totally accept just three additional random dudes coming as well.
Speaker 3: Well. Suzanne introduces a logic here though, So clearly Bobby and Suzanne are interested in this guy because he's rich, he's got a yacht, he can take them on a vacation. But they're also not sure about him, so they are recruiting some help here from these guys. Susan says, you can help us handle this guy if he gets out of hand. But then I was like, but why would they have any more reason to trust these guys than Wall Street? They just met it, They just met them. Yeah, but Bobby says, besides, I hear the Caribbean's perfect this time of year for swimming in the raw, and she's grabbing Lance's leg though she does not know his name is Lance.
Speaker 1: I guess is that what they call it swimming in the raw?
Speaker 3: I think that means skinny dipping. Yeah, so obviously Bobby is interested in swimming in the raw with Lance, and he's like, oh yo, and Corey dreamily. You know, he's got Wall Street journals in his eyes, and he goes, I am really going to meet Walter Graham. So our spring Breakers make their way out to the yacht. On the way, they hear some meowing coming from inside this big storage bin on the docks. They go over and open it up and there's the cat. Yeah, yeahs in this box.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We didn't get every leg of cat thing's incredible journey, but it managed to wind up here just as this crew is about to board the yacht.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, but there is a thing I forgot to mention from earlier when the cat was watching Wall Street Walter's limo pull away from the hotel almost like it was scoping him out. Hmmm you remember that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, why though?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's well, so we've established that the cat Thing not always, but usually attacks people who are sinful, and so because Wall Street Walter is a particularly awful and odious human being, maybe it's like drawn to him like a magnet. So that's why it's watching his car and also how it ends up on the dock beside his yacht hmmm yeah.
Speaker 1: Or maybe he knows even more, Maybe he knows that Wall Street Walter is a majority stakeholder in the pharmaceutical corporation that created cat Thing for once to destroy him.
Speaker 3: That's a good theory.
Speaker 1: I'm basing it absolutely nothing, but that's what I'm pulling out here.
Speaker 3: Well, wait a minute, this is a time for a good sidebar. Actually, what do you think is the intelligence level or sentience of the cat Thing? There are many things it does throughout the movie that almost feel strategic, but the way they're filmed it never makes it really clear. Like at one point, the cat Thing sabotages the boat engine, but it makes it look like that could be an accident, Like the boat just kind of it shakes because somebody shakes the wheel, and then it kind of raw like jumps out of the cat's mouth and scratches a wire, and then the engine is sabotaged, and there's other stuff like that, but it's never quite clear.
Speaker 1: Well, my answer, which is also going to be a little vague, is that it clearly has Grimlin level intelligence, so it can do things that are smart and clever, but it will also do things that are sneaky, even if they're stupid. It's just it's just straight up Grimlin level intelligence, like standard Grimlin, not brainy Grimlin from Grimlin's too, but just like standard Grimlin intelligence.
Speaker 3: Maybe this actually comes back to they all share one brain cell between them, and then the cat thing is in possession of the of the universal orange tabby brain cell. Then it quickly becomes syentient and it can strategize like this, but then it again disappears.
Speaker 1: There you go again. The memes tell us this, so it must be true.
Speaker 3: So our spring breakers they pull the cat out of the box. Martin removes a collar from its neck that says genetic laboratory, and he reasons from this that it may have come from a genetic laboratory. Then Suzanne falls in love with the kitty cat. She's hugging it, and she insists they've got to bring it with them on the boat. But like, what if this is somebody's cat. I don't know, I mean, I guess the collar makes it look like it's a lab animal, but still, so, yeah, they just bring it on the boat. Oh, and there's a funny thing here where at first Lance the jock is really worried about getting c set seasick, and then about four seconds after he steps onto a boat, he vomits a bunch of mellow.
Speaker 1: Yellow Yeah, almost immediate barf gag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's translucent yellow liquid. So oh, next thing is we meet are the main last character we haven't met yet, Captain Rachel. We're on the yacht and there's a scene where Captain Rachel is arguing with wall Street Walter. Walter wants them to leave immediately. There's kind of a sense that the law could be closing in on him soon, but she doesn't know that, and she protests. She's like, well, we don't have any crew right now. I'm the only one here. And the reason they don't have any crew is that Walter harshly insulted and mistreated the previous crew, so they all quit and then Walter is like, come on, you know, come on, I yeah, just you can do it.
Speaker 1: And so this is why he is cool with these guys coming on board, because they're going to serve as the crew as they make their escape fleeing the SEC on their way to the they went down on their way to the Cayman Islands.
Speaker 3: That's right. So Rachel is sort of stuck here in the in the boat captaining situation, because do tell me if I'm getting some details wrong here. I think the way they explain it is it used to be her father's boat, but her father got in debt or something and lost the boat and then he died and she is now working as captain of this boat until she can buy the boat back from wall Street. Walter Is that basically how I understood it. Yeah, and he like wall Street, Walter insults her. She clearly hates Walter, but she's kind of being a team player for now so that she can achieve her own boat related goals.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so our spring breakers arrive, Walter is like, oh, I didn't tell you could bring a bunch of random boyfriends you just met at the marina. So he's trying to send the boys back to shore. But while they're in the middle of this, klue Gooliger arrives with news that the SEC is looking for Walter. They want to search his boat. So this light's a fire under Walter and it's like, we got to go now, and Bobby convinces Walter that, yeah, like you mentioned, they can let their new boyfriends stay on board so they can serve as the boat's crew. Genius.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a fun plot hook, you know. I could see this working in a Dungeons and Dragons campaign easily.
Speaker 3: So it's anchors away, and of course the cat is coming along. Walter also does not want to take the cat with him, but Suzanne is like, but he's so cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're like, it's good luck to have a cat on board, which that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So this is basically the end of the first act. The pieces are all in place, and for the rest of the movie, the cat will begin to gradually pick off the characters on the boat while the humans try to figure out what's going on and react. So maybe we'll now go a little bit less chronological and just pick some scenes to focus on. The first night there on the boat is kind of party night, where everybody's drinking and dancing, and there's a scene where everybody's gathered around while wall Street Walter regales the group with wonderful stories about times that he was great at doing deals and about times that he really showed somebody else whose boss. He's eating a banana throughout this, by the way, and Corey just adores him. He's like, wow, wall Street Walter tell us another Meanwhile, off to the side, Rachel and Martin, the two basically good characters, are playing backgammon, and they're quietly getting to know each other, and you know, they're talking about their backstories, and Suzanne is cuddling the cat, which, by the way, we have already seen vomit itself and sabotaged the engine earlier than this. That happened at some point, and wall Street Walter drunkenly comes over to insult both Rachel and Martin, and you know, Rachel just kind of tells him off. But there's also a dancing scene here that reminds me almost to Friday the Thirteenth, Part four, with Crispin Glover dancing. The dancing itself is nowhere near as weird as Crispin Glover's dance, but the framing and the feel of the scene is quite similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, this is completely unbelievable, Like what is dancing?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What do people do when they hang out? Let's try and create it here for the camera.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about the death of Albert, the clue Goolager character. So Albert is supposed to be steering the boat. Rachel gives him instructions and leaves him there. But Albert, well, he's steering the boat. I think he gets bored, and so he gets a bottle of wine out of a cabinet and he's supposed to be driving, but he's getting drunk. He's talking to himself a lot. He's like, oh, Albert, you're the captain now. Huh, you're the captain now. And he's also singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic. But why why that? Maybe because it was public domain they can't think of anything else. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I got the sense that the old clue here is just hamming it up as much as possible before his inevitable death.
Speaker 3: Scene just having a belt of wine and singing Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star. Then Rachel comes in and relieves him after realizing that he has steered them far off course, He's like, get out of here. So klue Googliger goes out wandering around on the ship and he I think he's looking for a storage box that has more booze in it. He opens one up and the cat's in the box. He's like, hey, cat, get out of the way, that's my wine. It gets the wine out and then he uncorks it and has a bunch and spits it on the cat.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that was a mistake.
Speaker 3: Kitty cat doesn't like that. Kitty cat does not like that at all. And then we get the vomit self up vomit self up reaction and it attacks klue Gooliger and what a weird attack. So it goes for the throat and there's blood everywhere. But after the attack, we see klue Gooliger's neck like his veins throbbing under his skin in this makeup effect, and I was like, WHOA, what's happening here? We were about to get some kind of transformation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same, I was like, he is about to mutate into some sort of abomination, and now we're gonna have like zombies on board and a killer cat or is he going to turn into some sort of like wear cat thing or something. But as we'll find out, this is just the cat thing, then I'm doing its work. It's like a high speed, lethal cat scratch fever that drives you mad with pain and then the only solution to your pain is to leap into the sea and die.
Speaker 3: That's right. So unfortunately klue Googliger does not turn into a cat person. Instead, it's just like his veins explode and he falls into the water splash.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: Now, in the aftermath of this, Mike and wall Street Walter find the blood everywhere, but they cover up Albert's death because Walter just wants to get back to the party and he's like, oh, we don't have time for this. It will sort this out after we're free. And then the next day Mike and Walter act all surprised when it's discovered that Albert is missing and there's blood everywhere. Also, by this point, the ship's engine is fully malfunctioning due to the cat things sabotage, and wall Street Walter convinced Rachel to keep sailing ahead instead of turning back to look for Albert. I was just trying to remember. How does he convince her? I think it's just more boat related lever boat ownership.
Speaker 1: He's kind of like, like, you get us to the Caymans, I'm going to have so much money, I can just basically sign this boat over to you. And you know, if she she knows that this isn't right. I mean, Albert is missing and they should turn back and look for him. But she she she is, you know, seduced by money here and by by the boat ownership. So Walter is able to sway her to his side, and she's like, all right, we'll keep going.
Speaker 3: They also, I just remember this. They also convince her by lying and say that saying that Albert couldn't swim, so there is zero chance that he's still alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she she factors that into it and still sides with money over over going back and looking for him.
Speaker 3: But Martin and Rachel are more inquisitive about what's going on here. So Martin takes a sample of the blood they find on the deck and he examines it with what equipment A sextant, a sextant, you know, for navigation. He uses like a lens on the sextant in combination with a magnifying glass to look at the blood and he's like, my god, this blood is at least five hundred times more bloody than any blood I've ever seen. It could only be a mutation. And she's like what, but you're a biology major and he's like, no, I know, I've never seen any mutated blood as mutated as this. So some weird doings are afoot. So next seeing things on board start getting more violent between the people on the ship. So there's a scene where wall Street Walter is creeping on Bobby while she's doing aerobics, and then he gets creepier and creepier until it seems that he is about to rape her, but then Lance shows up and beats him up, but unfortunately, then Mike shows up and shoots Lance in the arm. So now things have sort of openly turned hostile between the corporate creeps and the spring Breakers, and Mike has all the spring Breakers at gunpoint, but there is a cat attack while he's like standing there with the gun pointed at them. The cat bites Mike on the leg. This is George Kennedy bites him on the bites dragline on the leg in a way that it looks like it nearly bites his leg off at first. Yeah, not quite, but it's like digging in there, and they're later talking about it like, wow, it bit right through his shoe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so set Yes, sever's right through the achilles tendon. There's a lot of screaming. Yeah, he's hitting the floor. And now, at first what I was watching is I couldn't tell if the other characters were supposed to see that kat thing did it, because cat thing kind of comes out underneath the furniture and attacks, which I have to say this is this is very unbrand for.
Speaker 3: A household, reaching out from under furniture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, reaching out from underneath something and attacking the feet. My feet are attacked on a near daily basis by my own cat, but never gets me quite this hard. There's never splurting blood and screaming. And of course my cat, not being a mutant, also doesn't have venom that makes my veins explode.
Speaker 3: That's right. So what happens here is the bite seems a lot worse than a cat bite could normally be for some reason. They're I mean, I guess it's just duty to treat whoever. But they're trying to help out Mike after he was just pointing a gun at them, and they're like, what's going on Mike, And he's like, well, you know, I've been bitten by a mutated cat. So all this venom is coursing through his veins, and his veins are sort of popping up under the scan and exploding, and Martin is explaining like, wow, the blood was mutating like nothing I've ever seen before, and it makes Mike's arteries explode and he dies. For a minute, it looks like he's gonna go full cane and alien. I think, like something pops up out of his gut like a head, but then it doesn't. Nothing emerges.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought, again, this is gonna be another cat thing bursting out of George Kennedy's chest, but it doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: I think that was just another vain explore. Maybe that was his heart exploding or something, I guess. So at this point, Rachel and Suzanne try to go radio for help, but wall Street Walter pulls a quint in Jaws here he shoots the communications equipment, and he's like, you won't be getting in touch with anybody. But fortunately Rachel and Suzanne get the upper hand. They like blast him with a fire extinguisher and they get control of the gun and subdue Walter. So after this, the spring Breakers take charge. Now they are in control of the vessel.
Speaker 1: That's right, Walter is captive and they've just got to sceer this ship to safety in justice.
Speaker 3: Now, what other scenes should be mentioned? As things things go on, the cat will continue to attack various members of the going to say the crew people on board the ship. Here, there's one weird subplot where the cat infects all of the food on the yacht with cat with like vein explosion venom. Yeah, and this kind of reminded me of the like the scenes in The Thing where like the thing is getting to the blood to taint all the blood so they can't test for it.
Speaker 1: Mm yeah yeah. And I think there was a scene an Alien where the xenomorph gets into their food. Maybe it was a deleted scene, but it's one that I've seen mentioned time and time again when when fans are debating how quickly a xenomorph grows and what it may or may not have to eat to get to that point.
Speaker 3: There's one scene eventually that was an amazing, like laugh out loud moment, and it's the it's the Lance make out arm scare scene.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh god, this is so good. This is a scene that, as we describe it here, it may sound grotesque and and and I would say bad taste maybe with a with a with a touch of cruelty to it, but the way, but that's just not the nature of this film, Like it ends up just being laugh out loud, funny and just so over the top ridiculous.
Speaker 3: So what happened, Like Lance and Bobby are making Lance.
Speaker 1: Was the one who was shot by Mike. So he's, you know, he's still recovering. He's he's maybe recovering from that that gunshot wound. He's in bed, he's in bad place.
Speaker 3: They're kissing and he's like, I can't feel anything in my.
Speaker 1: Arms, Like my arm's really numb. And so she moves a towel off of the hand of that arm, and then we see that cat thing is just munching on his fingers, that's like munched all his fingers off, and there's just blood everywhere and of course, Lance screams, and and from there, I mean again, this is a very fast acting mutant cat thing venom. Lance very quickly like loses his mind and is convinced that his only hope is to jump off the ship to his death.
Speaker 3: And I think Bobby goes with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bobby's like no, and then goes with him. And then she's dead too, So.
Speaker 3: That's the end of them. There.
Speaker 1: Should note that, you know, the girls were nice to cat thing, and so far cat Thing has not directly attacked either of the girls.
Speaker 3: That's right. It has only bitten the boys. Yeah, the corporate creeps and the boys. Yeah. Though I will say to comment on whether the cat punishes immorality or not, Lance has been a little bit mean to the cat. But Lance actually hasn't been that bad in terms of human behavior. You can imagine a Jock in the spring Break movie being a much more terrible and obnoxious character. He's just a little bit annoying to the other humans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. That's a good point. Now, in the in the midst of all of this, what we also have Corey, the preppy character he like is he's running a side deal with Walter there's like a scene where Walter the prisoner now kind of seduces Corey back over to his side, let me show you something like that, but I don't remember the details of their deal.
Speaker 3: He invites Corey into Corey's in there like, wow, you know, I thought you were great Wall Street Walter, but it turns out you're You're a real joke. I like you at all. And while Street Walter is like, let me change your mind. Come look at my wall safe. I've got money, and Corey's like, oh, money, but I don't. I don't think now I've forgotten this detail. Is Corey going to go for the deal? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: But doesn't Corey then agree to a plan where they're going to put out poison for the cat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're going to try to kill the cat. Yeah, but that's in his interest too, that's in everybody's interest in the boat. I mean, so he's going to put out poisoned food around the boat so that the cat will eat it and die. That's his plan, though he actually Lance is not killed by the cat. Lance is killed by his own clumsiness because he's like carrying a gun around and he's in the engine room and he shoots something that blasts a bunch of steam on it.
Speaker 1: He's trying to shoot the cat. Yeah, it's a steam pipe and the steam just blasts them. By the way, from the effects, it's clear that this is like like fire extinguisher or something and not steam. But then but then we cut to this like horrific makeup effect on Corey where he's just been completely scalded to death, and it's pretty horrific. After seeing all these all these shots of the cat thing puppet emerging from the fake cat head, this one was kind of a little alarming to see. You know, some I don't know how believable they are from a, you know, an anatomical level, but horror movie wise, it was very effective.
Speaker 3: So eventually the only passengers left alive on the yacht are Rachel, the captain, Martin the biologist, and wall Street.
Speaker 1: Walter's right, Oh, we forgot about Suzanne. Suzanne, still on board, eats poisoned cat food and then her veins explode.
Speaker 3: She thinks that the cat food is not poisoned. She like breaks into the pantry and eats a piece of bread and she's like, they were lying to me. It's not poisoned. It's fine, but then uh, yeah, her veins.
Speaker 1: Load, but again not directly killed by the cat.
Speaker 3: The cat is watching her when it happens.
Speaker 1: They do like to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there is then there's a storm. There's a storm, and the boat basically starts sinking. There was another part where it's hard to explain why this was so funny, but Rachel is like, there, you know, the hull is damaged. We're taking on water, and then it just cuts to a wall with like a clean, sort of softball sized round hole in the wood and there's like clearly a hose on the other side of it, just gushing through.
Speaker 1: Like, how did did the cat do this? How did this happen?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but it's really funny. And so the boat's sinking and Rachel and Martin they get away to a lifeboat. I guess they're trying. Walter is gonna come with them, but he tries to save his money. He's like, no, I got to get all my briefcases of.
Speaker 1: Cash, silver briefcases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, loading up these silver briefcases full of wads of cash, and he's like, gotta go back for another briefcase of cash, and you know what, He's going to be killed by greed. It's like it's like Ilsa at the end of the Last Crusade. You know, you let it go, but he can't let it go. The cat gets him. And then Rachel and Martin are in the lifeboat, and since they're now drifting away from the sinking yacht, you'd think they'd be okay, but no, there is a coda. There is one last conflict, and it is magnifico.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is amazing. If you decide to watch Uninvited and you find yourself becoming a little bored and you're tempted to turn it off, don't turn it off. I would recommend just watching it, but if you must, at least fast forward to the end and watch this final sequence in the lifeboat, because it is it is just absolutely inspired B cinema.
Speaker 3: So they're in the lifeboat and then the the killer cat thing puppet starts popping up out of the water and attacking them on the boat. So like grabs Martin and he's like ah ah and wrestling it away, and then Rachel's like, oh no, did it by No, I'm okay.
Speaker 1: Oh there it is again, and it's back in the boat coming at them. It's like, oh, I mean, it's just troll. Two levels of awestness. And it reminded Actually, my wife made this connection first because I had to show where this ending. She didn't watch the whole film, and I'm like, you got to watch the ending, and she said, it's just like the moment in the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror where Homer gets his hands stuck in the toaster.
Speaker 3: Again. Yes, like Dad, it's stuck in there again. Oh, it's one of my favorites. It is. It's exactly that energy. And then the way that they defeat the cat is so good.
Speaker 1: Well, the whole logic ground. So they're like, the cat is only jumping in here after us, because this is the only thing floating in the area. We should throw the suitcase full of millions of dollars out into the water and then the cat will be forced to float on that.
Speaker 3: But first they dump out the millions of dollars.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get the money. Let's get the money out first. They did have that that that moment of clarity, I guess. But then yeah, they throw the briefcase out and the cat puppet cat thing is just setting on the floating briefcase. I don't know why he couldn't jump into the boat and attack them a third time and a fourth time. At this point, they're able to leave it behind again in a lifeboat that is not propelled by anything except for the storm all around them. So we get this shot of there they're going to safety and their lifeboat and there is cat thing floating on the silver briefcase in the ocean.
Speaker 3: So evil wall Street Walter got his comeuppance and his co conspirators. Unfortunately, many innocent people perished along the way as well. But our two heroes in the end, they drift to the Cayman Islands, I guess, and they get to walk away with a duffel bag full of money, and there's like a scene of them talking to the authorities, like explaining what happened, and the authorities are like, I don't know about this cat monster story. But they're both just like looking at the duffel bag like can we take this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And they're like, yeah, sure, go for it. You two need a vacation after all that. So it seems like our hero our survivors are are on track for a happy ending here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, though, I guess Captain Rachel is not going to get the boat she wanted. Maybe she's going to get a different boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she'd want a different boat after all this, you know what a blood bath boat. That's I'm probably still poisoned by the cat, the mutant cat that was running them up and boarded.
Speaker 3: I guess they are competing interests there, Like it has sentimental family values, kind of a legacy yacht, but also it was where the cat thing killed all those people.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but you, even though we have a essentially a happy ending here, you need something a little more on a sci fi horror movie like this. You need a little like bump ump bum action, but you know, maybe setting up for a sequel, but at least leaving you with an uneasy feeling that things are not going to be okay.
Speaker 3: Two twist ending. Now there's the theatrical twist ending. The one I know is the one on the beach. Is that the same one that was in your version.
Speaker 1: In the theatrical yet?
Speaker 3: Okay? Yeah? So wait, why don't you marry? What happens here?
Speaker 1: Okay? So we get a nice beach scene. I believe what is the name of this beach? This is actually a California beach that a lot of stuff has been shot on. This is not Florida, but on this beach we see Oh, here washed up is the silver briefcase again that used to have cash in it, that was emptied, and it was the last place that we saw cat thing. And then here is a little boy walking along on the beach. This is actually Graydon Clark's son, by the way, and he finds a cat. Now, of note, this is not the same cat we've been seeing the whole time. This is like a dark cat. This is not an orange tabby. But we are to assume I guess that this cat is cat thing or has cat thing inside it, because the child picks up cat thing is holding him, and then we get an ominous freeze frame and then a zoom in on the child holding the cat.
Speaker 3: Well, the cat was more mutated than anything Martin the biologist had ever seen, so clearly he could mutate its coat too, So yeah, that's why it looks different.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, or it is a parasite it found a new cat to occupy it. I don't know either. Interpretation I guess is valid.
Speaker 3: But what was the deal with the alternate ending. Was there like a European cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's a different twist ending. And remember in this version, we don't see gray and Clark at the beginning of the film as a doctor. Instead we see him here at the end. We're at the marina there on the dock, and the child brings this suitcase to the father or assuming it's the father played by Graydon Clark, and he's like, oh, what's this suitcase. Let's open it up. Put it up. They put it up there on a table, open it up, and then we get a jump scare of cat thing, the puppet version, jumping out of the briefcase at us the audience, and we get this awesome like snarl growl sound that it makes throughout the picture, and then freeze frame and then we cut to the credits with that horrible theme song playing over it. The theatrical version has just you know, the scary score from the picture. International version gets that horrible uninvited theme music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's uninvited.
Speaker 1: That is. Yes, it gives us a lot to think about about about humanity's relationship with cats. No, it doesn't really give for anything to think about it. It is a but it is an alarmingly good B movie. This one. This one has a well deserved following among B movie and schlock fans. So if you like quote unquote bad movies, if you like cheesy movies, this one's worth picking up. It's I mean, it's again, it's got some fun performances in it. It's competently made. On the whole, It's very watchable. I don't think it ever has a dull moment. It's just a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: I just remembered I think I rented this in the same batch where I rented Night Beast. Oh that that all comes together as like a really good, really really good video drum hole for me.
Speaker 1: Yes, Night Beast is incredible. And by the way, if any out there, if you happen to be in the Atlanta area and you're going to Monster Rama this weekend, there's going to be a showing of Night Beast as part of the track there. Yeah, they're also gonna there's shown some other films, including some that we've talked about on the show here. Queen of Blood is going to be be presented. So, yeah, if you like monster movies, if you like some of the weird house movies, we've talked about that. That's worth checking out if you're in the area.
Speaker 3: All right, I guess we got to wrap it up for today.
Speaker 1: That's right, we're wrapping it up. This is the end of catweek. But writ in we would love to hear from you. What What are some of your favorite weird films that feature cats, cats as enemy cats, cats as ally. It's all fair game. We'd love to hear from you. Just a reminder that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. If you are on letterbox dot com, head on over to our profile. We are a weird house and you will find a list of all the films we've covered on the show thus far, and sometimes a peekad what's coming out next.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at Stuff to Blow Your mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.