Speaker 1: In the industry.
Speaker 2: Is there a stigma about doing Hallmark Christmas movies?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: When I watch one that I like, it's got log cabin, it has to have the small town. I don't want anything magical. I don't want a prince of a fake country. I fucking hate that immediately. Am I mad at this? I'll watch it still? Kashha, Cosha Show, Cash Show, c Show. Welcome to toash so sixteenth Annual Christmas Special. We are extremely excited today because we have former celebrity Tim Allen with us. Santa's here, Sannah, I don't want anything for Christmas this year. You've been very kind to me. You've been very generous. I have everything I could ever want. The only thing I'm curious about is who's on your list?
Speaker 4: Oh Daniel, that information is top secret?
Speaker 2: Or Ashton Kutcher and me lacunis on your naughty list for writing a letter to have a judge go easy on their scientologist rapist friend? What about Elon Musk Do people with Asperger's get a pass? Is Jim Harbar on your naughty list for sign stealing? And would he be able to get off the list if you were to beat Nick Saban in the Who's a Bigger Liar Asshole Bowl sponsored by Couldn't cut It in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Be honest? In week three? You thought the Colorado hype was real?
Speaker 3: Didn't you?
Speaker 2: Were you all in on primetime? Or were idiots for getting excited? And can elves make toes in Santa's Workshop? Taylor Swift and Travis Kelcey naught your nice?
Speaker 1: The name chiefs? Where are you at on that?
Speaker 3: Also? You look like Andy Reid? Wait a minute, is expelled?
Speaker 2: Congressman George Santo's on your naughty list for using campaign funds on OnlyFans or for wearing too many layers? Oh, he's got a button up, a sweater and a blazer. What about Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. He must be a really good guy since he's always accepting so many gifts. What's Hunter Biden's deal? Naked selfie's a handgun? Cocaine in the White House? Does being fun put you on the naughty list? I know neither actually celebrate Christmas? But Israel Palestine? Who's naughty?
Speaker 3: Who's nice?
Speaker 2: Be careful how you respond? Remember you're being recorded. What's on Ukraine's wish list?
Speaker 1: More? Aid from the US.
Speaker 2: When you're flying your sleigh over North America, if you happen to see a Chinese spy balloon, what's the move? You seem like a Second Amendment guy? Could you take care.
Speaker 3: Of this for US?
Speaker 2: Can I trade every gift you would ever give my two kids for the Miami Dolphins winning the Super Bowl this year?
Speaker 1: Do you believe in ghosts?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I knew it all right, Santa. You'll appreciate that.
Speaker 2: My guest today, I spent years spreading Christmas here to every household in America with Basic cable, and since starring in a Hallmark Christmas movie automatically makes you not a celebrity, I am not breaking the show's rich, long standing tradition.
Speaker 1: Enjoy Pasha.
Speaker 2: Now, I said I wouldn't have celebrities on my show, but I'm making an exception for today's guest because he starred in sixteen of my favorite Hallmark Christmas flicks.
Speaker 3: Please welcome Luke McFarlane. Luke, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 4: When I was asked to do this, I was like, is he really a fan of Hallmark Christmas movies? And I got you know word that you are, in fact a watcher of Hallmark Christmas movies.
Speaker 2: If I was honest about how much I love them, everyone would assume I'm doing a bit.
Speaker 3: I would freak them out. Yeah, well, I don't even.
Speaker 2: Care if it'd freak them out, but they wouldn't take me seriously. And I almost need you to know that I'm being honest or it's kind of meaningless. But yes, I've loved Hallmark movies way way before it was ever fun to watch them and laugh at some of the silliness of it, like and for some reason, my mom she also loves them, and that's more on brand for what they were doing. But my mom and we watched them separately, and then we both found out that we loved them, and now it's a thing. And my wife when she watches them now with me, and you know, she's a hip, cool comedy writer, so at first she was just kind of mocking.
Speaker 1: But then you get past that part of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's it's not an unfamiliar story the one you've described, and I kind of I've been doing it for so long that I kind of saw that change too, when they kind of came into the zeitgeist, you know, with the drinking games and the whole thing. But when I first started doing them, it wasn't really on people's radars. So it's it's been interesting to watch evolution and also Hallmark kind of change as well. Like they are also trying to redefine themselves in the space, and they don't want to be a joke and and they also want to be popular, and they want to be accepting and they want to be inclusive, so they're kind of going on it.
Speaker 3: So it's strange in this town to do anything as long as I've done Hallmark on films.
Speaker 4: You know, and just watch watch everything change around it. Just the people that watch them and the way they make them and how to make a movie in fourteen days, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: That's how long it takes them to make them.
Speaker 4: Generally speaking, I've done some that are a little longer.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: A snow budget. This is a big part of the Hallmark movies. This is how much money they're gonna spend on snow. So if there's a bigger budget, you might get sixteen.
Speaker 1: Here's what I like about them.
Speaker 2: Here's what when I watch one that I like, it's got log cabin. It has to have the small town. I don't want anything magical. I don't want a prince of a fake country. I fucking hate that immediately. Am I mad at this? I'll watch it still. I also think it's great that the woman always will choose the small town over her great career at the end. I always like her like, oh, I can have it both ways, and it's like, no, you can't just one. I wanted to fucking stay, but anyway.
Speaker 3: It's either me a Christmas.
Speaker 2: I don't like faith based. That gets me angry. They do those sometimes and whatever that one uh group that they have when.
Speaker 3: Calls the Heart, I get parties. Fuck, I get mad at those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's who, first of all, who comes up with the title when calls the Heart?
Speaker 1: Those are just words put together.
Speaker 4: It's a complicated title. They're famous for complicated titles. I did sense and sensibility and snowmen.
Speaker 1: Well that's at least cute.
Speaker 3: No, it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: No, I don't care. It has the word snowman. And I'm happy there wasn't like snow end wasn't even really a.
Speaker 3: Part of it.
Speaker 1: Are you guys competitive with each other?
Speaker 3: Kind of? Like the more I do it like it's like, what Times Hunt did you get?
Speaker 2: I mean Times are the only premiere on Sunday, just two of them back to back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's leading up to Christmas. It's sort of oh, you are out. Like the one that comes right after Halloween kind of feels.
Speaker 2: Like guess when I start watching right after Halloween. Right after Halloween, that's when I accept it.
Speaker 4: Little early for a lot of viewers. I think they're still kind of shaking.
Speaker 1: Weak of Christmas.
Speaker 4: I'm not watching them anymore, right, So the prime spot is Thanksgiving? Uh huh, yeah, the families together. They gotta find something everybody can watch.
Speaker 2: So they shoot them all in the summer. They shoot most of them in Canada, a lot of them.
Speaker 3: I have done one in Utah, which was lovely. Actually, it was lovely to shoot.
Speaker 2: Sure you das pretty, but very very better, but you have to wrap your head around the people.
Speaker 3: Well, no, they were actually wonderful.
Speaker 2: We have no we had great I love Mormons, but I'm fascinated by them.
Speaker 1: It is because it's insanity.
Speaker 2: How many Netflix short documentaries do you have to watch where you're like, no.
Speaker 3: Or scripted series?
Speaker 4: Do you know what's really impressive was the background is always a big part of these movies, and people were like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm in a movie. I'm in a movie. They were like silent and so obedient. Yeah, that's right. What's the word obedience? What's what's the thing? What's the term from that one movie? Keeps Sweet? Keeps sweet? That's what they always said. But anyway, are you from mom? No?
Speaker 2: Okay, no, But I mean I did grow up Christian, like really strong.
Speaker 1: I had a dad that was a pastor.
Speaker 2: I was born in Germany because army, no missionaries, because they hadn't heard of the Bible over there in Germany, right, Like, I don't understand why my parents, who didn't speak German, felt the need.
Speaker 3: To go over to Germany saving souls. Right Yeah? Have you ever experienced a Christmas miracle? Nope?
Speaker 2: This is the first question I asked all my guests. Do you believe in ghosts? Nor your parents? Were they supportive of your career wanting to do this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean we we don't come from an acting family at all. My dad was a doctor and my mom was a nurse, and music was a big part of our lives. I played the cello, still do play the cello. So like lessons and understood performance and the discipline around the arts. My older sister was a wonderful violinist and she wanted to the violin at Juilliard. And I remember when she, you know, got the Prospective's book that mailed it to our house and I saw that they also had acting, and I was like, I think I.
Speaker 3: Could do that.
Speaker 1: You're very like you were an over you're an overachieving family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you're good looking and you're overachieving. You play instruments, multiple instruments, probably I'm assuming.
Speaker 4: Yeah badly, but cello is the primary instrument. But my family also just kind of let us do whatever we want to. They really like. That wasn't the focus. It was like, be good, be kind, take care of people. That's all I want for my kids. They were good.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to be nice. I'm like, I don't care if you ever achieve anything in life.
Speaker 4: I don't want to pay for my daughter. You don't want to pay for like when she's old, though, why I want her to have a life. She can really want it all the way through.
Speaker 3: It's till death, my death. You're just gonna pay.
Speaker 1: For everything, everything as long as you're just.
Speaker 3: You're rich in my life. Okay, maybe I don't want to sweep.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, And to answer your quite yes rich, how much does Juilliard cost?
Speaker 3: I was lucky enough to get a scholarship. Most people there get a scholarship. Do you want your daughter to go to Juilliard too? I want her to do whatever she wants to do. You want her to play the cello?
Speaker 4: I would be into that. I'm gonna try the piano to a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of course, you do a little bit. Got to learn to play the piano.
Speaker 4: Do you have a piano in the house. No, do you have a kids room? Just put it in the kids room, and I guarantee you he's got a little tiny piano in but like.
Speaker 3: A shitty plastic one.
Speaker 2: Right, No, no, this is this isn't like a baby grand tiny one. Looks like a little miniature John Legend. But we can't have him, do that?
Speaker 3: Are you serious? Okay? So like whatever, funk off? You're rich? But that sounds very fancy. Okay, I was a gift.
Speaker 2: I didn't buy it. I guarantee someone legend. No, it was not from John Legend. By the way, speaking of Juilliard, what was your audition?
Speaker 4: I did two monologues, one from king Lear. I did Edmund the Bastard Son from king Lear, and I did a Canadian and play right.
Speaker 3: Is it anything like Save the Last Dance? I haven't seen that.
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: It's about getting into Juilliard And it doesn't hold up really so racist because the way that she ends up, she's like, I think she's a ballerina. I forget now, and now I'm gonna try to go from memory. But then she meets a black guy and he teaches her how to do hip hop hip hop and it's Julia Styles, who is just is like the.
Speaker 3: Not hip hop. And she's doing this audition for Julia.
Speaker 2: With a chair and she's like sitting in it like they're like, oh wow, and they're blown away. This is the greatest dancing we've ever seen anyway.
Speaker 4: The the you know, the the sort of precursor to say The Last Dances is Fame when she's the Welder and she auditions for Juilliard and and they have all the professors there at the Juilliard thing, and I love it because one of them's wearing her like his glasses.
Speaker 3: And then like when she does.
Speaker 4: Something a little too sexy, because it's they've got it wrong because Juilliard actually doesn't have a ballet program, but she's kind of auditioning for ballet. And then when she something not ballet, the one guy takes his glasses off and he goes like he looks there. It's like very like he's sexualizing her. He's going to be a bad teacher.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: Did you ever have a crush on Luke Perry? Never did the scar in the eyebrow?
Speaker 3: No, he wasn't. He wasn't for me. I was, you know, Mark Wahlberg a racist?
Speaker 1: Was wrong with you?
Speaker 2: H had a hate crime on it under his belt. So I don't ever let people forget that.
Speaker 3: It's totally true. Always. I always think about that. Yeah, you know, you know who didn't do that when they were into college?
Speaker 5: Me?
Speaker 2: Okay, a lot of people. When did you come out to your parents?
Speaker 4: My second year of college, came back for Christmas and told them, oh, bringing us to Christmas?
Speaker 1: Were they were? They receptive to it?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: And you know, again, you know, to my father's credit, and I didn't learn this for some time, but you know, it's hard, you know, when you're a kid is gay. I think he felt like you know, did I know you? And did you feel safe? And all those things, but he never made my problem.
Speaker 2: By the way, were your parents supportive of your cello playing? Because that, to me is way worse as to father, because I can't imagine having to lug that thing around to all the practices and concerts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my dad played the cello too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you had two cello's in the truck.
Speaker 3: We had in the truck in the pickup truck. What could you fit that thing in?
Speaker 4: Cello isn't as big as the double bass, So I'm grateful we didn't have a double bassed family family that plays bas.
Speaker 1: Is there is there a family of double bass players.
Speaker 3: And they're probably on Instagram.
Speaker 1: You grew up outside of Toronto.
Speaker 3: I grew up actually in town called London, Ontario.
Speaker 4: I did London, No, I'm yeah, it's sort of like the Michigan state of Canada.
Speaker 2: Okay, I hate Toronto, I do do. I've never liked it. My one of my least favorite Canadians. That is, I don't know why people get into it. I'm like, this is shittier than Detroit.
Speaker 4: But I will say I've filmed there in the winter for like five years, and it just like it's like sad, like dirty, like sidewalks with like cigarette butts, and like that's what I think of when I think.
Speaker 1: Of trial system. Like this city doesn't have any soul. That's my thing.
Speaker 3: I think it does in the summer. I don't know, when you were whatever, let them cheer for their stupid basketball team.
Speaker 2: In the industry, is there a stigma about doing Hallmark Christmas movies?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I will say that, you know, when I get these offers, I asked my representation, I'm like, guys, is this and I get like assurances from them.
Speaker 3: They're like, no, no, not all, it doesn't hurt. Like they're not on people's radars, and I'm like, they kind of are.
Speaker 2: Now, there's a small group of you that make these A lot of them the theater company. Do you know these people? Do you have relationships with them? Are you friends with them?
Speaker 4: I don't think I've worked with the same female lead more than once.
Speaker 3: What about it?
Speaker 2: What about that Candice Cameron? Is she does she stick her nose up at everybody?
Speaker 4: I I will admit that I was like nervous to work with her, but she could not have been more lovely.
Speaker 3: She probably doesn't approve your lifestyle. We never talked about it. We never talked about it. I wouldn't talk about it immediately. She has a lot of gay friends, does she? Yes? I hope.
Speaker 1: So do you actually like Christmas?
Speaker 2: And before you answer, know that this is my absolute favorite holiday, So please answer this correctly, Luke.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do. I do like Christmas. I like Christmas very much.
Speaker 4: And I remember getting very sad after Christmas as a kid, like when all the decorations came down and the house felt empty and I don't.
Speaker 3: Know what there's about.
Speaker 2: Here's what bothers me about Taylor Swift. I love everything about her, her business savvy, all of that. I think she's a genius, the fact that but yeah, oh you know how she used to write songs about her exes. If she if this one and this Travis Kelsey focks are over, she can buy the Kansas City Chiefs and like fucking move them to London, Canada. She wanted to like she could do anything. That's besides the point where she just think about that. I didn't, but now it's great. But uh, I wanted to say it was her song, that one where she goes we can leave the Christmas lights up till January.
Speaker 1: I'm like, that's only fucking five.
Speaker 3: Days after Christmas.
Speaker 2: That's not a big deal that that line blows my mind. But five days after Christmas is not worthy of a lyric. We can leave, can you believe it? They left their Christmas lights up till January. Second, you've done some other besides Hallmark Christmas movie. Yes, Hallmark does other holidays. Yes, than those are garbage.
Speaker 4: But it's part of when you're in the stable. You got you gotta you gotta pay your dues.
Speaker 3: You gotta do.
Speaker 1: You gotta do Valentine, You gotta do Valentines.
Speaker 3: You gotta do.
Speaker 4: You know, the seasonality of Hallmark is really I think I've hit all the other seasons.
Speaker 2: The one that didn't like, I'll be honest with your shoe at it Christmas time travel fucking stupid it. She puts on new shoes and she time travels. Guys, if you don't she times because it's the shoe addicts Christmas. I didn't know that one. That one made me angry.
Speaker 4: But Jean Smart, I mean Jean Smart was in that I don't care she was. She was so good in that she really was attic is a tough word to use in a Hallmark film.
Speaker 2: Chateau Christmas loved it. You know, setting Tahoe. I live in Tahoe, so I always get excited, even though also randomly George Lopez was in that one?
Speaker 3: Was he?
Speaker 1: I think he was like a delman or door.
Speaker 2: He definitely wasn't George Lopez is in one of these as a hotel person. He's just like, why is he in this Hallmark movie? And it's such a small role.
Speaker 3: They that is the fascinating thing, Like they get some like I worked, I've worked with some.
Speaker 2: Really one of those twins from the home Builders, Oh yes, in one of them.
Speaker 3: Didn't want that. Yeah he was acting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was like a big city rep or something in one of them.
Speaker 3: He wasn't playing like a home builder. But let's get back to Chateau.
Speaker 1: You play the cello in that one?
Speaker 3: I do. Oh that's exciting. It was excited. I tell you.
Speaker 4: When I first got the script, I played the violin and I was like, change it to the cello please, and they did.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you do have pull a huge all right, Well good, then here's what I want done. Here's my two I have two notes that if you could do this, because I don't care if you fucking studied it, Julia or anyway.
Speaker 3: No actor can pull this off playing a fake instrument.
Speaker 1: No, that's not what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Holding a cup of hot cocoa or coffee that's empty, and me believing that there's something in it it. You your arms don't move the right way, it's too fucking light. You put water in it every time. It's infuriating.
Speaker 4: Daniel weel learning. We are learning, and this this feedback has been given a lot.
Speaker 2: Just put something in everything. I can tell that there's nothing in it. I second second note, Yes, put put some fucking bricks in the luggage. I can tell when they're hitting the curb that it's empty. It's like, just put bricks in there and be done with it, you idiots.
Speaker 4: Can I tell you my first Christmas movie? I was you know, Christmas Tree Farmer and I had a pickup truck. Yeah, And because it read I don't remember red, I don't remember. And this is when we filmed in Utah and it was like again it was my first Christmas movie. I wasn't like it was like there's you shoot a lot and I remember I was coming from the hardware store, of course, and I just kind of loaded loosely my ship into the back of the pickup truck.
Speaker 3: And I'm a pickup truck owner.
Speaker 4: You can't just put a can of paint in the back of pickup drug It's just gonna bounce all over. And I was really embarrassed when I saw that, And then of course someone sent me a tweet where they're like, of course, Luke.
Speaker 3: Just loads things loosely in the back of his big up. I was really embarrassed. And now I do because people do watch them with a kind of yeah, I for that sort of detail. They're just great movies. They're just fun to watch it. I just love them. And did you watch it before your wife? Like, oh, way before my wife.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even my wife was barely born when I started watching these.
Speaker 3: She's young, Oh my god, she's child.
Speaker 2: How much She's thirteen years younger than me? Okay, I'm forty eight, she's thirty. No, I don't know how old she is. Is she thirty six?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 1: Interesting?
Speaker 4: Higgs younger for me too. That's why he can he's he can do things.
Speaker 3: Are you better looking? He's a very good looking guy. But are you better?
Speaker 4: Like, no, I'm not saying he does say to our he does say to our daughter, this is your handsome dad. And I'm like, no, no, no handsome father, that's not true.
Speaker 2: Your partner is an American alpine skier.
Speaker 1: Yes, he is named higg, which seems.
Speaker 2: Perfect for my Hallmark Christmas movie idea, Bring me some Higgy pudding.
Speaker 1: No, do you ski snow skiing?
Speaker 4: I can now because of my partnership with hig He's obviously an incredible skier.
Speaker 3: And why do you say partnership, I don't know, because.
Speaker 4: We're not married, you know, boyfriend. I guess I could say boyfriend. It feels different now because we're raising a kid together.
Speaker 3: Huh. You know we'll get married one day. I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't care if I don't marry. If you want to get to heaven, you just.
Speaker 4: Like you better do that right before you die.
Speaker 3: I'm sure. I'm sure we will at some point.
Speaker 4: But he's an amazing skier and we've it's been crazy like for a guy that like I did not. We had like a garbage hill in my town, like an old garbage hill that became the ski hills. So like I skied there and with Hick like I've skied in like Zermatt and Shemony.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen him take a bad spill?
Speaker 3: I mean I've seen like film or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was like it was famous on you know, like how Sports Center plays like the biggest like moments, and there's just one of him at a World Cup coming down getting so pissed off and breaking his poles over his leg.
Speaker 3: That's kind of cool though, it was kind of cool.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy because anybody can stand on the top of a hill and just lean forward and go down like it's absurd. However, when they say like, oh, the amount of people that die, Re'm like it should be a solid tire.
Speaker 4: Actually, it's also the ice that you know, you and I are used to skiing on and like you know Tahoe they is it's it's ice. They like hosted it's ice, like you can hit it with a hammer. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: When did you come You came out in two thousand and eight to the Hollywood.
Speaker 4: I had my first job in television. It was like right after I graduated from college and I was working on this military show.
Speaker 1: Did you straighten up? Did you straighten up for me reason?
Speaker 4: Do I do remember very clearly, like when I when I booked this show is like talking to one of the representatives I worked with at the time, and they were like, this is a really good part for you. And the implication was and I know what that implication military dude.
Speaker 3: You know, so you know it didn't feel so good.
Speaker 2: Do you feel that that that coming out affected your career?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I truly I don't know.
Speaker 2: You think had you not, you would have been Wolverine was no on The Greatest Showman. It's I'm not saying anything about oh I know anything, Oh I know.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying I have no idea.
Speaker 4: I have no idea, but like I can't imagine who I would be if I hadn't.
Speaker 2: Here's what I think though, Back to the point when we were talking about if coming out kept you from some because I'm sure whether it's happened to you, it certainly happened to others. I would be fine with as kind of a retribution of sort that only gay people were allowed to be in anything like, I would be fine with that. I would be Okay, let's do this for thirty years and then and then one invites or maybe we were allowed to have keep five straights. Now we get to vote on it, Like I'll take Christian Bale. I don't know my list walk no, fuck, he's too old.
Speaker 3: Who cares?
Speaker 2: But anyway that would that's my list, is the only straight actor. I would be like, all right, keep him. Also, when some I get annoyed when people when somebody comes out and you hear people they're like, oh, we don't even care. Nobody cares anymore. It's like, hold on, everybody cares. It's so it's interesting, we care, we want to talk about it.
Speaker 4: I mean the big thing now is like if Luke's allowed to play straight, should he not be allowed to play straight?
Speaker 3: Right? You know, if only gay people are allowed to play gay characters.
Speaker 2: But I'm I have the easiest answer for this. Yeah, it's just like, no, he can do it. He can play straight. Anybody that's ever been marginalized gets to do everything. Yeah, that there's my stance.
Speaker 4: Well, I appreciate that. I don't know if I was ever limited. I don't know if things were ever held for me. But like you know, I mean, network testing for a television show is like a big deal.
Speaker 3: You got all these people there.
Speaker 4: They're curious, they're afraid, they're you know, they're just afraid.
Speaker 3: They're afraid.
Speaker 4: They're thing that they're spending all this money on is not gonna make money. And there's like famous stories of things that tested really badly and did really well.
Speaker 3: You know, bros.
Speaker 4: The movie I just did it tested really really really well. Like I remember going to one of the screens with with Judd at the Town him saying, like, this is tested better than any movie I've ever done.
Speaker 3: I saw the movie. I paid, I paid to see the movie.
Speaker 2: I felt like sometimes it was trying to be raunchy funny, sometimes is trying to be heartfelt, and there was a balance there that wasn't perfect.
Speaker 1: And that's coming from an idiot.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, I mean, Billy's a really big fan of like the sort of you know, the movies from the nineties that you got Mail the Nodding Hill, and I think, you know, his sensibility is much more of the sort of like big open hearted rom com and you know, and Judd and Nick are like jokes, jokes are really important. So I thought it was a really successful hybrid of those two things. And I think that I think he did what he wanted to do.
Speaker 3: Are you in the spitting on the hand scene?
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't know. There was a whole scene in Bros. Where they had made a great expense. I remember the director calling me. He was like, Luke, I just want to know if we spend thirty thousand dollars making a fake butt of Billy and would you be comfortable like eating that fake.
Speaker 1: But way more comfortable than eating real ass?
Speaker 4: And I said sure, And they made this fake button. I did that and it never ended up in the mom.
Speaker 3: But do you have the butt? I think Billy does? Actually thirty thousand dollars to make that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another thing I always think is bizarre. As you know, I had a show where we would do little comedy bits. Yes, and giving notes to real actors is impossible, so like I would only just use my writers as actors, Okay, and I would. I would never that.
Speaker 3: So you just tell them what you want them to do.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, be gayer, right, and like, let's end that dumb conversation.
Speaker 3: You can't do that. No, I understand that.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be right. I get it.
Speaker 3: That's why that's not my thing.
Speaker 2: But it was sure would cut through some conversations that are so stupid.
Speaker 4: It's also hard to receive a note like no actor is like because they just want to think what they just do is like great, you know, so it's about like massaging the like.
Speaker 3: You're like that was really good. Why don't we try this?
Speaker 1: I'm always like, do you want it louder or faster?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Those are my two.
Speaker 4: The more confident as an actor that that's generally what I want.
Speaker 3: You know, just direct, do.
Speaker 1: You need you need it faster?
Speaker 3: I'll do. I'll give you.
Speaker 4: One more faster, totally be like angry and like go up at the end.
Speaker 3: I can do that.
Speaker 2: Play okay, Yeah, you were to Netflix Christmas Movie?
Speaker 3: I was, Yes, was the paycheck bigger? Smaller?
Speaker 1: Did Hallmark say, hey, knock it off?
Speaker 4: So I've had like sort of overall deals with them, and in the you know, I'm going to commit to five EPs or five Christmas movies or five movies, but I can't work for any other network and they name all the other networks and they can't be holiday related movies. So I was able to do that because I was outside of my deal with them.
Speaker 2: Do Hallmark Movies pay they pay you well, and your your rate goes up. I assume every time that's a nice thing.
Speaker 3: It is a nice thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I knew that they paid they do.
Speaker 2: Are Hallmark Christmas scripts written by the same people that write the cards?
Speaker 3: No, not all.
Speaker 4: They are actually two separate companies. Crown Media is what does it And I'm not quite sure the licensing deal is with the hull the car.
Speaker 2: About residuals, You're doing okay on residuals with Harmmark movies.
Speaker 4: They have to air a certain amount of time before you start getting because, as you know, they air them a lot. So if you end up doing one of the ones, it kind of hits and it's popular, it gets aired more and more, so you eventually get residuals.
Speaker 1: How about that shoe one? Is that one airing a lot?
Speaker 4: I don't know if I've gotten residuals for shoe Addicts Christmas.
Speaker 2: I one time I had my wife and go, I want you to write a Hallmark Christmas movie and she's like, all right, done. She went in took the meeting and they're like, oh, we're gonna well, really, who do you pitch you? An older Jewish woman it was really nice. Here's the they give us the dues and the dontes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so curious about this.
Speaker 2: Okay, we always like we always always written caps. We like a strong female lead early to mid thirties and she needs to have a romance. This is always are a story our audience as women twenty five to fifty four, and we don't like to stray from what we do. It's kind of if it ain't broke, don't fix it mental. We are family friendly pgg in nature. A rule of thumb when watching our movies is you want to be able to watch them with your eight year old grandmother and your eight year old niece.
Speaker 3: HC. Hallmark.
Speaker 2: By the way, I don't give a fuck about movies and mystery. Don't even tell me about your resume there you really do?
Speaker 3: Those are so stupid.
Speaker 2: I don't want any extra drama. It's just a warm feeling when it's on in the background.
Speaker 4: It's hard when there's a mystery and there's a body with no boody.
Speaker 3: There's never blood on the body.
Speaker 2: Typically light romantic comedies with a heartwarming ending. All right, let's get to the dews want establishers at the top of the movie to set up the city or town. We want lots of coverage when shooting and any inserts when necessary. Please stay away from killing off family members. There tends to be a lot of dead father, mother, wife husbands in our movies, and we're trying to get away from that. How about this, no bowling? Oh, I didn't fucking note. There's a note, No oh bowling. Our content is not sexual in nature at all. A kiss is enough to show the romance in our movies, and we usually save this moment for the end when our leads get her fairy tale ending.
Speaker 1: By the way, you guys have broken that.
Speaker 2: Now they're doing kisses and act like five or six Oh my goodness, makeout sessions. Does your partner does he prefer that you kiss women over men?
Speaker 1: I mean in an acting role.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's really bothered by either way.
Speaker 4: I mean he's seen me both kiss men and women in various projects.
Speaker 1: Do you have a preference.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's acting. It's like, it's not that weird, you know. I don't find it that uncomfortable. The most uncomfortable I ever got was right before the kissing scene, when my female lead asked me. She's like, do you get the feeling in your tummy when you kiss a woman?
Speaker 3: What? And I was like, yeah, what the fuck does that mean?
Speaker 4: I think she was feeling anxious because I think she gets the feeling, and she wanted to know that I got the feeling.
Speaker 3: He just told her to shut up. It was a little erky. It was a little uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: So I always give anybody comes to my show gifts, but I don't buy them anything. I just take stuff from my house and give them because I can't stand things in my house. I don't like it, so I get rid of stuff always. I'm the exact So anyway, so here, I'm gonna give you a gift.
Speaker 3: I hope it's like a baby associated.
Speaker 2: It's all baby associated, baby sos it and Christmas Assidia because you just you have a little girl, now I have just I have a nine month old girl.
Speaker 3: Now I have a four year old boy, but a nine month old ago.
Speaker 2: So so I'm just and your Canadian, so I had so anything that was Canadian related.
Speaker 3: Oh it's a reindeer like a little uggs.
Speaker 1: F Oh, come on, it's all hand me downs. That's this is quality I know No, that's really good.
Speaker 3: This. You know, we're going to New York next week too.
Speaker 2: And if you ever want her to look like a Handmaid's tail or. No, let's like if they did a Christmas movie. I don't know what if somebody gave us this. This is fucking.
Speaker 3: Horrible, But this is adorable.
Speaker 1: It's not that's not adorable.
Speaker 2: But on your little jacket, you know they're a Canadian.
Speaker 3: Oh this is Oh, this is good. Yeah, this is great. Oh, come on, this is too generous. No, what are you talking about? Nothing, there's more in here. Oh wow, just put that over. That's so good. You know I was going to ask you.
Speaker 2: Just don't you know, just throw it all in there. You're a citizen now of America.
Speaker 4: Of America, I became a citizen, and i'd actually don't know the date.
Speaker 3: Maybe I want to say twenty eighteen. Was that test hard?
Speaker 4: Not really, but it'd be actually fun to do it with, Like, well, can I ask you a couple of questions?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Really, No, No, I'm I'm big on not letting people know how dumb I am.
Speaker 4: I don't I think you would know who is the president during the First World War?
Speaker 1: The First World War?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jefferson, Jefferson who was the president in the.
Speaker 3: First World War, Woodrow Wilson. I would have never in a million years got that. Why you have to know that.
Speaker 4: They they give you all the questions, so you basically just have to memorize them.
Speaker 3: Were you ever a model? No? Never, never, no never. Was that one of your questions?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, no, no, never never.
Speaker 4: I actually find it really hard to take pictures. It's totally it's very different.
Speaker 2: I despise it still, and I won't hold a prop. They always try to get you for press photos to hold something and I'm like, I'm not fucking putting anything in my hands because one time I did a promo photo like this, and it's used on every review of anything that like says like I have a new special or something, and it's like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we do a lot of promo for you know, Hallmark makes like the classic movies, and they're usually holding an associated prop. So like for Shoe Addicts Christmas, I think Cannis was holding a shoe.
Speaker 1: I bet she can has had her cross front and center.
Speaker 3: I think she did wear across in that movie.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sure she didn't. What's your favorite Christmas movie? Doesn't have to be homework.
Speaker 4: You know, everyone was saying for a long time, diehard man, what diehards Christmas?
Speaker 1: People are saying you're hanging out douche peg.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's not. My favorite Christmas movie is Miracle thirty fourth Street. Oh, I don't like that either.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know what are your favorite Christmas movies.
Speaker 2: I'm not an elf person, but I love I think Elfie is genuinely good.
Speaker 3: And I had like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It's great. He throws some crazy faces in that movie. He's like the King of Like he does weird faces of that movie. Yeah, all right, all right.
Speaker 1: Thank you Luke for being on the show. I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 4: Pleasure, all the best. Thank you for being a fan, and thank you for the gifts. Merry Christmas.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Pasha Hey, Carl Carl Hey.
Speaker 2: This is exactly why we can't interview actors because I have to pretend why I liked their project. And I'm gonna be honest with you. I love Luke. I've made that very clear. But catch me if you clause was a disaster. This is not my kind of Hallmark Christmas movie. I told him that, I told him what I don't like, and he led me blindly into this. First of all, it had magic. He a spoiler alert. He's Santa Claus's son, and he gets caught in a house where this woman who's trying to become a reporter, but she her mom's a famous reporter, but she can't do it or can't hack it, and she's just not getting the opportunity. So they say, why don't you try to dress slutier and show your boobs and then maybe you'll get on camera. So I think that's kind of part of the plot. But then she's like, oh my goodness, I caught this burglar in my house. But it's Santa Claus's son and he knows everything about everybody. They end up going to some cool gay bar while the cops are chasing them and there's kidnapping because there is a real Santa burglar on the loose. It's just nonsense. It's not a cute town. The town's garbage. If you ask me, I want a quaint town. I want a cute story. The end, this story was complicated. I had no idea what was going on, and my mom hated it. But that I said I loved Luke. I loved Luke. Great job, Luke, and thank you for being on the show. All right, what else is going on? Oh, it's time for the coveted comment of the year, Eddie.
Speaker 3: Who we got?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: Prime logic five five six two says generally love the border, but please get rid of the show.
Speaker 2: Loves the Border says get rid of the show. I mean, come on, what do I have to plug the goat? It's a reality show that I'm hosting. Comes out next year. Boys Wear Pink, the charitable clothing line that I started for my son. Make sure you place your order before the holiday and I'll probably get that to you early.
Speaker 1: First quarter.
Speaker 2: Tickets on sale for my show in Los Angeles for the Netflix. As a joke, it will be May fourth at.
Speaker 1: The Dolby Theater.
Speaker 2: That's where they shoot the oscars where the violence takes place on stage. I might do a reenactment Will Smith. I'll comp you two tickets at the door for you and your unfaithful wife. Oh, before we go, I have one final gift, a bedtime story from my three year old son. So on behalf of Karl and I Happy Holidays, which means Merry Christmas and happy Honikah.
Speaker 1: That's it. You're great too, Muslims.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll be back with new episodes January ninth, taking two weeks off.
Speaker 3: Happy New Year, okay, it's Christmas. Go ahead and tell me sorry.
Speaker 5: Time you're two lit Twain already wanted to do. You do an extreme rish that they twin didn't. So the bird twin fat, the little boat building and train tracks and then the train the two little frames drolled on it, and then one of them wrote, and then they twinn't sit sat but again