Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you, and that's what you were the most podcast Q and A. This is a Q and A for season five, all the things to come. We learn a lot from these Q and a's because you guys write in and you give us clues as to what we're about to encounter or experience. So thank you.
Speaker 2: And we had so much fun doing the last ones that we're like, we just need to do more of these.
Speaker 1: Thanks for writing in you guys every time. Let's start with some easy ones.
Speaker 2: I have one, Okay, Santana's press sticks. Our BFF was asking, well, you guys asked about your character's futures. Do we have any input on whether or not our characters went to New York?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, but I did. Here's the thing and we'll get into this. Also in this episode, I I did ask to be in less and so I'm sure that taking that into account, they were like, Okay, so Tina will go to Brown and she won't spoiler alert, she won't be in as many episodes, so she won't go to New York full time or go to school there. But it's close happened, Yeah, exactly, and which I do, which is really fun. So yeah, not really did you have any sake, Kevin, You were just there for the ride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I I wanted to be there as long as possible.
Speaker 1: Yes, they also planted yours. You were going to college, like Kitty helped you get in.
Speaker 2: Yes. The most I had influence and at all was just letting it be known that I was happy there. I wanted to be there great and like happy to take whatever smartket they would give me, very smart because we were also like the way you asked to be in like was respectful. We're in season five here. That happens on every show. Yeah, and you and I were just vibing most of the time. It's like if you knew what you wanted, they were happy to respect that. So yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure we were not trying to tell them how to do their job though. No, we weren't, like we knew that was above our pay grade.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I knew what my job was, you know what I mean? Not a question but a comment also from Santana's Presidicks said season five is some of the best performances of the show, so to hear are my favorites to look forward to, and I have to agree. Gloria, Gloria again and Gloria one more time. Okay, great? Do wop?
Speaker 2: What? Yes?
Speaker 1: Jump and Jumping Kevin someone of Kevin's.
Speaker 2: Favorite ever we've ever done? Uh huh to tag.
Speaker 1: That for you, Let's wait a while. If I were a boy Breakaway and the whole National Sellers.
Speaker 2: I'm stoked, which, by the way, I was going to because my camera roll from basically season four and season back half of season three disappeared. I have a lot from this season and I have full takes of us filming. Still haven't found.
Speaker 1: The city, Yes, city of Angels right and more than a feeling.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I wonder if we can post it. But I have full take so you can actually see how we would film it, because we'd film it as a complete number and you can hear Brooke on like the god Mike telling us to move. And I love that set list. I love that set list.
Speaker 1: It might be my favorite. Second favorite me too. I love that one. That was a fun one to I remember like enjoying being there also and enjoying performing those Yes, totally. It makes a difference, Like you when we were super into it. It was a joy to film totally those days easier. Yeah, Well, another question was, was coord comedic relief during the chaos of season five? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: His impressions there's one coming up next episode that you will see that is they're all so so good and shocking, like still surprising to me sometimes and I don't know why I'm surprised by it, but like they're so good, like he shouldn't be this good at doing impressions, but then also behind the scenes, like just trying to make us laugh and and bring some levity to the whole season.
Speaker 2: On top of that, I think what makes like the comedy even better from him is that he's also just around like us, like an open book and so honest and open, so even like through the tough times, was just very transparent and you can just which is all I think why we all adore and love him so much is because there was never any pretense about hiding his feelings, whether he was high or low. Yep, And that just rounds out like who he is as a person, and the fact that he did make us laugh so much, like yep, you see, it's just how wonderful. Yeah, we love Cord.
Speaker 1: We love Cord.
Speaker 2: Someone said that we actually need two episodes for the Beatles low key overrated. Wow, I disagree that the Beatles are overrated, the Beetles are overrated or the episodes for I don't know. I don't think two episodes of the Beatles was unnecessary. They have such like a huge and extensive catalog. But I are they my favorite episode? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right? I like Teen in the Sky a lot the first one. Yeah, interesting parts of the first one, I like.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did filming the Nationals episode feel the same as filming the Quarterback episode?
Speaker 2: No? Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: It got me for sure, but not in the same way and enough time. There was more time to grieve and to process and to move and to like feel so is very It felt very different to me.
Speaker 2: I mean the the biggest difference between the two is Nationals was an ode in a moment recognizing and remembering our friend. Yes, the Quarterback was us grieving and grieving and having to like open the camera over and over and over again for a full episode. Very different situation. How involved was Ryan at this point in the show. He was always very involved on the writer's side, The writer's side. Yeah, exactly. We didn't see him as much for sure, but he showed up during the quarterback. Yes, we saw him more because there was sort of more, and then the hundred episode, of course we saw him. It was like because he was also doing three other shows at that point, so he showed up when he needed to. You know, Yeah, did you consider not turning to Glee after Corey passed? It's so interesting that a couple of people asked that I never once crossed my mind. Same.
Speaker 1: I consider not showing up for the quarterback episode right, different than leaving the show altogether. Yes, it was more of like, what does this look like now?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Exactly? What's our future?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Why was Diana not in the quarterback?
Speaker 1: Was she?
Speaker 2: At least asked? I believe we were. None of us were forced to be in the episodes. Everyone in that episode, so we were all given the option to do it or not do it.
Speaker 1: Also had a note like Diana was a busy bee and working, and it's a very good chance that she was also not available because she wasn't under contract quickly to be available. Yeah. A lot of people ask this question, and I mean when I said, I learned a lot I forgot that this is the season where Tina goes away halfway through. That's wild to me, I know. And somebody said, why is Janna barely in season five? Someone said, you wanted to be Briton now it is? It true? So I'm in the first half right with school and McKinley. But they just didn't transfer me to New York when the show really kind of transferred to New York. And that was like there was a lot happening in my personal life, and there was a lot happening where after Corey and after doing all of those episodes, it was like felt like the right transition we graduated. It wasn't like Tina just disappeared in the middle of a school year. Like it just felt like the right transition time for me to kind of go to a recur where I could like pop in and out and I got to do some other like really fun projects and things during that time, and so it was just like it was really nice, like it was actually like such a great break and that when I came back for when Funny Girl opens, and when I come back for uh later in the season, it just felt like I was so happy to be there, you know, and see everybody and be on sad and be with the crew and just be with like everybody. So I didn't know, No, I don't think until we got closer to graduation, and then it was announced that Tina got into Brown and then you know, we kind of decided that was going to be what was going to happen.
Speaker 2: It definitely felt different for me being there without you. It was a very different experience, so weird now that I'm wondering and like, looking back at it, I'm wondering if the fact that we were more in New York, so like my daily life looked different. I'm on physically, I'm on different sets, working with different people and not working with you and the people I had been working with every single day. Yeah, I also felt like sort of I think, like a mental disconnect a bit where there's obviously an attachment and a fondness for like McKinley and being with all of you and then like you were gone. I was like, Wow, this feels weird, and like when you're detached like that and then showing up, there's a strain and the relationship to work totally.
Speaker 1: And also then you got we were doing your movie and you were just like there was other things happening. It was just crazy. It was a weird time.
Speaker 2: It was very strange. It's strange to have sort of like your every day up ended like that, especially when the routine has been set for so long and like your days are so long.
Speaker 1: But you're also in like the same environment a bit. That's the funny part is like you're at the same place, but like everything just looks different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the scale of it is different, because like when you're in the fireroom, you have every camera, you have all the crew, you have a huge cast. In New York, it's like one or two of you and smaller thing. It's just weird. It felt different. I think it's I also think it's harder in some ways. Oh, it's an adjustment. I don't know if it's harder. But we were there all the time, so we knew what was going on all the time. We didn't really have to like pay attention because we were there. When you're paying in and out, you get to be more conscious of your role of like what you're doing in your relationship to all those things, where like I think we just weren't used to that, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's different, very different. Which episodes are you looking forward to watching it and which ones are you dreading? Okay, I'm looking forward to watching Frenemies because that's our episode. Kevin, Oh my god, Katie or Gaga. I'm looking forward to watching Trio. I'm looking forward to watching that's the one with me, and than national forward to Yes, City of Angels one hundred tested was your episode, right, Kevin, Oh god, yes, SD episode. I okay, so, and then I have to be honest, I'm excited for these the second half because I wasn't in it and I don't think I was really watching it, to be honest, So like this is just it's a new show.
Speaker 2: She said. If I'm not in it, I'm not watching it.
Speaker 1: I was so removed. Fair, I get it, and I'm not looking obviously, I'm just not looking forward to any like and this experience post Corey just like it just feels like post the quarterback. It's just hard, you know, to like you always remember that in the back of your mind, like what we were we were going through that, are we going through this or that makes sense? You know.
Speaker 2: I think when we met Ryan on and he talked about the quarterback it was very insightful because he said he wouldn't have done that episode now right in hindsight totally. But the other aspect of that is is that it did leave like a bad taste in our mouths for a little bit, for the experience of just like, why did we do that? Why did we have to do that? Like it felt I wish we hadn't, right, yeah, and it just like sort of changed for a little bit how we felt about things.
Speaker 1: But it is so funny, Kevin, because none of us were forced to do that episode, and yet we all chose to be there. I don't know what I was hoping for in that episode, maybe some closure or just not missing being with everybody at that time mm hmm. But like I think if I wasn't there, I would have always looked back being like, was there something that I missed in doing something like that? Now? No, for me at this point is no, because we did it right, yeah, and I wish we hadn't. Nobody I wish we didn't. As a whole we didn't have to do it. But as a single person of teen, it's like I wasn't there, If you weren't there, I always wondered like, would we have regretted not being there, especially that Leo was there?
Speaker 2: Right? I think that was sort of it was if Leah's okay with this, yep, Like I don't want to do this. It felt like.
Speaker 1: Bad, like I wish we didn't have to do this.
Speaker 2: Mentally, well, it felt bad mentally emotionally to have to like do that, yeah, talk about it and like sort of be on camera experiencing these things.
Speaker 1: It's just awful. And then you like feel bad for like the camera people who are like that's their job and yet you're breaking down and they're supposed to keep the camera on you.
Speaker 2: Well, it also felt like if I don't do this, I don't want to be the person who's not there.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's what I was trying to And it's like I can only represent myself, so like I need to show up, but like I didn't want to. I was very close to not doing it.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Interesting, but I'm like.
Speaker 2: Everybody's doing it, right, I should I'm going to show up, right? Yeah? Was I a happy camper?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody through that episode. No, I was upset and let I know, and everybody know who was there? But that was fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in hindsight, I wouldn't have I wouldn't have done it.
Speaker 1: No, okay.
Speaker 2: Someone asked we choose our songs in the Quarterback episode. No, no, at least we didn't. I don't know. I can't speak to if Lea did or right, I think Lea did. Actually, yeah, that makes sense. Okay.
Speaker 1: On another note, somebody said you're about to get some of the best music, and the same with season six. So here's what my feeling is. Like. Season three, they're like, this is gonna be great. Get on board. Season four they were like, oh, I don't know. We felt differently, we enjoyed it. Season five they're like, we're like, oh god, this is all coming. But the music, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yes, So even if all the rest of it is a little kooky, we get some great musical moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did any song suggestions that we made make it through to air? Yeah? Yeah, not many.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing, like we would always be singing and talking, and you know, it would always be just doing and Ryan would always be listening. You just know he's always listening.
Speaker 2: Yes, were there any songs that you like specifically? Asked for. I asked for let Me Love You by Mario and that got in.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good. No, I don't think I asked for anything in particular. You know, I actually did though. I told Ryan that I really like to do Florence and I really liked do Gaga, and I think he I mean, I did a lot of Florence and I did a lot of Maga. So I think I didn't ask for anything, very sisters, but I had said, like, I really like this, and you know what I mean, that was given.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did. Kelly once he became a writer the last episode, texted me about my audition song and like, what would I want? I was like, oh, I remember where I was when he texted me, because like we didn't get asked that ever, right, and so I was like, well, if it can clear first choice pony obviously.
Speaker 1: Right, that's right, because you didn't have an audition song. M hm, oh my god, your audition song. I can't wait for that that. I'm excited for that whole episode.
Speaker 2: Someone said Sam Sades is back, baby, and let me tell you, I could not be more excited A lot. I love Sam Saydes.
Speaker 1: Obviously very very exciting. Were you as stuck emotionally by the klaim proposal scene as the audience was, or just yes, yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: It was so good. Oh what was your favorite season to shoot? I mean probably for me probably season one.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 2: Everything was new, like no one really knew what we were doing. It was just it was like an innocent summer camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just show up and like there's no expectations, You're just like doing things. Everything was like joyful. Yeah, yeah, I liked.
Speaker 2: One was the hundred episode filming therapeutic being all back together or too soon?
Speaker 1: A hundred was weird. I don't know if you remember this, but like, here's the thing. I liked being back with everybody, but it was a weird episode. I remember, like I remember being like, this is weird, and maybe I'm wrong. I can't wait to watch it. It felt like do you know when you go off to college and you come home and it doesn't quite feel the same anymore. That's we've been there for a long time, but all these people came back and it didn't quite feel the same. No, it did not, And that's what A hundred felt like for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then there's all this hoopla and like all these press things and all this stuff we had to do in parties, and I was also going through a breakup on the day of one hundred parties. Like it just like a lot happening that I remember being like, you know.
Speaker 2: This is I forgot. We used to talk about this, but after Corey's passing, there was a difference in how I think we all looked at the show. Before that, even you know, we talked about we had some ups and downs personally professionally working in the long days and all that. Yeah, but like we all were very proud of the show we were on and like happy to work hard and ultimately loved being there. Yeah, starting now in season five, it became we're clocking in and clocking out because I think for our like sanity, and I think that was for everyone, And that's nothing against the show. I think like how we subconsciously or consciously looked at our experience there was like the show obviously is different, the writing is a little different. We're trying to we were in our selves and it's like we noticed that everybody's doing their best, but like we just couldn't be the same amount of like emotionally invested as we had been, and so like we strugg with that with Naya, with everyone like clocking in, clocking out, and so like the one hundred episode, everybody's showing up, you don't have that same like light in your eyes or fired to be there because like it's the vib's become weird. Yeah, it's like everyone's struggling and we're going through like a really traumatic, life changing thing and the show doesn't feel the same. We all are different people now and he's not there. Yeah, so it was very much like a little bit of an emotional detachment, Yeah, for sure, which I think is probably what we were all feeling if we even if we couldn't really put a name to.
Speaker 1: It, you know, Yes, that's right at the time exactly.
Speaker 2: Was it fun filming in New York City? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean you did it more than I did.
Speaker 2: I had a great time. I felt so lucky every time I got to film in New York. It just felt like it really felt like a privilege.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. I could see that all this stuff when I come back to New York was shot on the Paramount lot.
Speaker 2: So yeah, some of the New York stuff we used to film in Paramount and a lot of times we'd film in Downtown LA, which really felt like we got cheated, like that was the worst of all.
Speaker 1: The theaters and all of that stuff, and like, come on, can we just actually going to New York? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like all that stuff with Rachel auditioning for Funny Girl and doing like the Chemistry read and all that, that's all theater in Downtown LA.
Speaker 1: It's like a million dollar theater or whatever it's called.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did thee hundredth episode feel, you know, to piggyback off of that, Did it feel like a huge event to you as it did to the viewers?
Speaker 1: I mean they definitely made a big deal out of it, like it was a big deal, right, And I remember you Kevin being like people don't usually get to one hundred episodes, Like this is a big deal. Classic me, Yeah the numbers kid like being like, yeah, we it is a privilege to get on a TV show. To get to one hundredth episode, that is a big deal. It's also part I think I think you told me you were like, this is also when people get syndicated. You hit one hundred episodes, it is And I was like, oh, that's fun. Like so I remember understanding it's a big milestone for TV. Like I remember everybody saying that, like you not every TV show gets here, and it's a big deal when you do. I don't feel like the episode itself sticks out in my mind all that much, except for maybe what do we do raise your glass?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that in this one? Or is that was that a while ago? I don't know, No, that's that's pink. What is the one we do with Gwynna think Kristen, Yeah, raise your glass and that's like the main one. And then I remember taking all the pictures on stage with all of our stuff, and.
Speaker 2: You know, here's the thing. So like when you see photos of like those events, we're in the middle of shooting. We're all in costume, and so it's like we're being like like rushed into this like photos set up for like three minutes. Yeah, I'm going back to clink of the glass. So we don't really get to like revel in like the annormity of the situation. You're right, at all, We're like we're still like it's every single okay, because I think we were told like every single day costs hundreds of thousands of dollars and then think about how that breaks down into hours and minutes, and so anytime you were taking away from shooting, like we are spending money, yeah, we need to like we're not spending it, we're wasting it. Yeah exactly. So Yeah, it wasn't like but I did feel like, you know, growing up being the numbers person looking at IMDb, different actors had done hundreds of episodes of this thing or fifty episodes of that thing. It felt very surreal for me to be able to, like on paper, look down and see that I had done one hundred episodes of a TV show. That was really hard for me to wrap my head around. Interesting, just like really crazy.
Speaker 1: Now looking back, I'm like and just being in the industry for longer and seeing everything the way I see it now and like being more in the know. It's like, you see so many shows come on have a little bit of life, and I guess it's streamers. It's a little bit different, but like barely make it through, you know, and that's it. And you see one season and that's it, and you're like, oh my god, those actors, like you book your job and that's all you get. You know.
Speaker 2: What's crazy is that this is no, this is no drag on any show that's on right now because the state of TV has obviously changed. But like our ratings at the end of our run, we're like better than some shows that are considered hits now, right, Like oh wow, that's.
Speaker 1: Well, there's just like so much content now. It's like, how do you create really good content now? And how you define success is different totally because this just so totally different. Then.
Speaker 2: It really was like on the night that the show airs, what is your viewership? Yeah, and then maybe plus three for like recorded plus three means like three days people who've watched it, who recorded it are watching it within three days. Now it's like a plus ten or plus eleven day thing. So now you're considered, oh it airs here on Monday, and then it's on Hulu immediately after and you consider the streaming numbers and not to bore you, but that's how it works now and so like so different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, one last question, Kevin, I think we can wrap this up. Everybody. It was like a very similar vibe in this Q and I yes.
Speaker 2: Everybody fully got the memo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: These questions are really thoughtful and I appreciate them. Yeah, well, first of all, shout out. Someone said, why are kating already the most undertat a couple in the show? Thank you very much?
Speaker 1: Are you jealous? Jenna?
Speaker 2: Someone asked, are we going to keep doing the podcast after we finish recapping?
Speaker 1: I don't know's I heard?
Speaker 2: Well, I was going to open it up to the floor to say, what would you like to hear from us? Because that's a good one. We really enjoy doing this. We enjoy doing I have to speak for Jenna, but we enjoyed working together on something and also really enjoy working with iHeart and our whole team here and like giving you what you want? Yeah, yeah, what do you guys want to hear? This happened because there was demand for it in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we weren't going to bring this back guys, so I'm yeah, I'd be so curious to see what you would listen to. What do you want?
Speaker 2: We are willing?
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. Thanks for writing in you guys every time. We're just always in there. So good and thoughts. Kevin said, thoughtful and like we also love the little like non questions that are like just your support and fandom and love so we just really appreciate you guys. We hope you enjoyed this Q and A. We're excited for season five. It's crazy, we're already here. There's a lot of really fun memories I have of this season coming up, and also Kevin's favorite song, what the Fox Say. So this is important. This is important stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but applause is also coming up, and I love doing applause.
Speaker 1: Oh Gaga, Katie Gaga, come on, it's so good, all right.
Speaker 2: I have such vivid memories from that. So you know, I think, in line with what a lot of you said of the musical numbers, I remember a lot of the musical numbers.
Speaker 1: I yeah, roor, I just it's a lot. Okay, I can't wait. Thanks for tuning in.
Speaker 2: That's what you really missed. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.