Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers training camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalusy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years, Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission Listen CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Steeler Nation, how we doing well? That's good us too. I only have heard that in a while, our number three of the drive here as we roll into the evening, it is Saturday night here in Latrobe. He next Saturday is going to be a crazy day with a little Saturday night lights a week from today. As as Matt and I have got your final hour of coverage here for today for this week, and uh and we once again have an update that you've all been waiting for the painting robot is out there and it's doing a good job so far. It's got into the film room, but got better every single day. It's uh, it's once again putting down nice, nice, big and uh invisible white lines. I said and visible. That sounded like invisible because I said it so fast. I see them nice big and visible lines. Uh, and so far, so good. They're I think they're looking at it now over on the far side. But it's the last couple of lines that it's painted have been have been uh, have been very successful. Yeah, yeah, I didn't realize this. I guess I probably should have known. But like they they repaint the lines and the numbers after every practice, Is that true? I mean that's what that's what they've been doing so far. They just painted those those numbers yesterday, didn't they or maybe doing one field at a time.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm just wondering if this is just a sample to see if the thing works.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I think definitely for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, but like the guys paying him now for Monday practice.
Speaker 2: True, but like the guys on the far side of the field are doing the on the third field or doing the numbers right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I don't think they do it every day.
Speaker 4: You're probably right, but they've been out.
Speaker 5: Here this year.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking historically, I don't remember this happening every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, that's that is That is a good point. We'll keep We'll keep you, of course, updated on all the important moving and shaking here across the campus on the grounds of Chuckn'll Field before we before we get up out of here about an hour from now. But Matt, what do you say we get into some tweets here like we like we like to do to kick off the five o'clock hour. Pittsburgh Conversation says it's way too early, but before preseason starts. What is more likely A or B? A Drew Aller pans out and we don't need to use a first round pick on quarterback next year, or B he doesn't pan out and we're drafting a quarterback in round one next year.
Speaker 4: Oh B, I think it's b Regards Wardless.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Again, I other than if you tell me right now, Aaron Rodgers misses a substantial amount of time this season due to injury. I don't know how any of us are going to be confident enough and gonna have enough sample size and Will Howard or and Drew Aller to pretend like we know about that, you.
Speaker 3: Know, right, yes, I mean hypothetical. Maybe the quarterback class isn't as.
Speaker 5: Good as you thought. A lot of dudes stay in.
Speaker 3: You're not in a position to get the guy you love, and you didn't add anyone in free agency. The draft rolls around and oh my gosh, this wide receiver that's so good. There you take him and say, let's roll with aler for the year. Now, that's still agreeing with your point. I almost don't know unless he plays eight plus games this year, which isn't at all the strategy. How does he prove to you that, oh, we got this taken care of, so you gotta lean that way. And I liked how Jerry do Like mentioned it the other night because I agree with this side of it as well.
Speaker 5: He thought. And the Steelers basically said.
Speaker 3: This, they weren't going to draft a quarterback in this most recent draft unless they thought that player's upside is higher.
Speaker 5: Than Will Howard.
Speaker 3: Yes, correct, they might take the same approach that we're not taking a quarterback in next year's draft unless we think his upside is higher than Drew hours, but a first round quarterbacks probably is or is further along, or at least it's another bite at the apple. I'd have a hard time believing there's not a quarterback need. Yeah right, and I can't imagine, I mean, unless they would sign Baker Mayfield or something, you know, and just push a can down the road.
Speaker 2: Matt tweets and says, Hey, guys, hope you're looking forward to your day off tomorrow. What are the odds that if a Sante Samuel keeps playing the way he does that Joey Porter Junior could potentially be a trade candidate he could fetch a first round pick would be big in next year's draft. I love JPJ. It just seems like the Steelers and him might have some differences in the valuation. Also, what's your favorite food that you look forward to eating when you go out to La Trope?
Speaker 5: Crab legs?
Speaker 4: Crab legs at dinner tonight.
Speaker 5: So as we hang up here campus.
Speaker 4: The food here on campus is very good.
Speaker 2: It is sushi days, a lot of fun they do, like a barbecue day that is fantastic. Uh man, I love the It's just it's wolfly day here rightfully. So but I love the Fat Guy Delight at Sharky's, which is the sandwich that Wolf created.
Speaker 4: We had one the other night. It is a cheese steak wrapped in a pizza.
Speaker 2: That is that is Craig Wolfly to the Tea Baby, and I that's sound.
Speaker 5: Like Sharky said.
Speaker 3: In Wolf's book, he listed his ten favorite foods and that was number nine.
Speaker 4: That was number nine. Yep.
Speaker 2: And I could eat stuff like that all the time when I was younger. Not so much now, but I make sure to have I make sure to have a Fat Guy Delight, a Fat Guy Special.
Speaker 4: It's Sharkies every year.
Speaker 2: And man, the the sweet and hot wings at Dino's are just delightful.
Speaker 4: Those are the two.
Speaker 2: Things Sharky's, Sharky's Fat Guy Delight, and in the sweet and Hot wings from Dino's I'm always looking for.
Speaker 5: I'm looking with these scrab legs here was pretty soon before I hit home.
Speaker 2: But I don't think. I don't think there's any way that they're trading Joey Porter Junior.
Speaker 3: It's crossed my mind too, and I've hesitated even bringing up on the air because I don't think that's something they're actively looking to do. But we've seen contract negotiations get ugly in the years in where it would be hard for me to think that there's that much of a detachment, especially with the option of the franchise tag at your disposal a year from now. You don't have to get this done right this minute. But we've also raved about the corner depth. But I think that's what they wanted. I don't think they created this depth to exactly dip away from it, you know, and Dean's about thirty years old. Everett probably isn't ready right this minute. You do have Ecals, you do have Ramsey, Samuel's playing really really well. I think it's just a good problem to have. But I mean I'll trade anybody, I mean, throw out something on Tampa Bay calls and says, we'll give a vitavey in a fourth for Porter.
Speaker 5: And throw in one of your d linemen, you know what I mean. Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: I still don't know that. I don't know if i'd do that. But it is a lot older. Yeah, you would get older, right, And it's just a position that it seems like for the first time in a long time, you really feel.
Speaker 5: Like it's the first time they're really happy, but you'll like what.
Speaker 4: You got in there.
Speaker 2: Speaking of which Ian says, I can't remember a time in recent Steelers history that the dB room is this deep.
Speaker 4: Can you? Also?
Speaker 2: Keanu playing three tech instead of nose tackle is a very welcome change. Thanks for the weekend.
Speaker 3: Grind Boys couldn't agree more on Benton. I think Black and Joseph Day should handle that job better than he did, and I think it's better for Benton to make the move.
Speaker 4: Completely agree.
Speaker 3: I don't love the safety depth. I mean, we just talked to corner depths really really strong. I think Savage is a bit of a wild card there. The fact that Ramsey can do corner and safety also adds to the safety depth, but I wouldn't say the safety room is remarkably deep.
Speaker 4: No, I think that's I think that's fair. Yeah, I think that's fair.
Speaker 5: I do. I am excited about Spears getting.
Speaker 2: Though, absolutely, Yeah, absolutely, he's and he started to get a little big of a bigger bites of the apple out here so far, so I bet.
Speaker 5: He plays a lot in the preseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm I'm excited to keep an eye on him as as we go further and further along into this process.
Speaker 4: A couple of tweets about Wolf.
Speaker 2: As I'm sure doesn't surprise anybody, Wallace tweets and said had a feeling Wolf would be inducted into the Hall of Honor. When I heard it this morning, I had I had to cry. There's been tears in my eyes when you guys tell your stories about him. I never got to meet him, but I did get to talk to him on the phone calling into the show a few times. Those who knew him as well must be having some feelings too.
Speaker 4: No, absolutely sure, it was without a doubt.
Speaker 2: I jumped on earlier this afternoon for a segment with with Ed Troop and Brian Bacco and those guys, and that was kind of while practice was going on, Yeah, and they were asking me about some practice stuff and things like that, and then they asked me about Wolf, and it was kind of the first time, you know, I talked about it there for the first time before we did on the show, and I was getting.
Speaker 4: Getting a little emotional.
Speaker 2: They're kind of with just you know, not being really expecting to talk about it in that moment.
Speaker 4: Not that I was upset that they asked me, obviously.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, without a doubt, a lot of a lot of happy tears around that, and certainly will be September twenty seventh at Akrachuer Stadium against the Bengals when that becomes official and Wolf's family they be gathered there.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nate tweets and talks about his favorite Craig Wolfly broadcasting moment.
Speaker 4: So basically, Matt, this is a good story.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I've ever told you this, and it's it's what Nate was was was tweeting about here, and he said he always had the infectious laugh that made his show so fun to listen to.
Speaker 4: So glad he's in the Hall of honor. Wolf hated it.
Speaker 2: Our longtime OG listeners, they remember, there was once upon a time on this radio network where we could play any music we wanted to.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, so you.
Speaker 4: Know, coming in and out of breaks, we could play a C.
Speaker 5: D C and and Motley way to the Top till you're rock and rolling.
Speaker 2: Guns and roses and and and kind of you know all that stuff. Well, Wolf obviously was very disappointed that was the case. So when that first happened, I used to joke with it when we weren't allowed anymore. I'd be like, Wolf, I could play you five seconds of whatever song you want, but that's it, you know. I I was like, you know, because that's all we could get. After that, you got to pay the licensing fee for it. We could get five seconds.
Speaker 5: I didn't realize that it was even the rule.
Speaker 2: And so Wolf was like he was like, he was like one day, one day he was like, I need you to give me the first five seconds to start me up by the rolling Stones and you know how there is it's that guitar.
Speaker 3: Bright Oh yeah, Burn.
Speaker 4: So what I would do was so we did that right at the start of the show, and then all throughout the course of the show and the following week, at random times when Wolf was just in the middle of a thought or a monologue, I would play the little burn.
Speaker 2: And so Wolf would be like, you know, he'd be talking about uh Broder, he'd be talking about Dan.
Speaker 6: Moore Junior, or you know, Kean or not Keanu Betton, Kevin Dotson, you know, like something and a g and I would just randomly hit that button and would just turn.
Speaker 2: And Wolf would start cracking up. He'd be dying. He thought it was hilarious. Good get him off his train of thought, which was you know, it was pretty easy to do with our guy Wolf. He he could he could be distracted pretty easily, certainly.
Speaker 4: But yeah, no, that was that was a lot of fun. I enjoyed.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed producing that guy's shows for a few years that I got to do it. That is, that's for sure. The some people in the radio business are a little bit of divas, Matt, you certainly or not. That's why I love working with you too. Wolf was a Wolf was the opposite.
Speaker 3: Of it now and he's a celebrity, you know, right, yeah, recognize ever where he goes.
Speaker 4: Funny, funny, quick little Wolf story for you. There was one.
Speaker 2: This was not too long ago. This was uh, this was like probably a year and a half, two years ago.
Speaker 4: Wolf.
Speaker 2: One day, we're getting ready to do the show, right, and I'm like, I'm like, Wolf, we got Max, We're all connected, you know, like sixty seconds here, and I look over and Wolf's kind of like panicked. He's got his he's got his headphones on and he's like, I can't He's like messing with the volume dial.
Speaker 4: He's like, I can't. West. He's like my my headphones are working. I can't hear. My headphones aren't well wait, hold on, no, what's going on? We're you start the show thirty seconds, but my headphones aren't working. I'm not gonna be able to hear Max. I go over to him unplugged. Yeah, headphones, I go wolf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't hear you gotta plug those in.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, fantastic, fantastic.
Speaker 2: We'll hit some more tweets if we can, as we were all great googlely moogly cad zooks. Well, well, we'll maybe hit some more tweets. We'll keep you posted with the line painting robot, it's over on the sideline getting a refill now sounds good? Brother, Listen here, brother, Caliente, Pizza and draft. My favorite was when they do you remember the one time he did the commercial and they left the.
Speaker 5: Three two one?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's Craig here, brother.
Speaker 4: Gotta love it.
Speaker 2: We'll never stop telling those stories and we h we love that you uh, you all love.
Speaker 4: Hearing them as much as we love retelling them. That's for sure.
Speaker 2: Plenty more ground to cover here on our final day, final hour of this acclamation period. We are with you until six o'clock West ruler Matt Williamson High a top Chuck nolefield on the campus of Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage Jump Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems DYLE eight one one before You Dig sn T Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life mission, they said CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three.
Speaker 5: We don't go to the office. We build it.
Speaker 2: Back on the drive here as we roll along in the bonus hour in Matt, I want to play a little conversation with our friend Mike Persuda and one of the newest Steelers who we haven't really discussed.
Speaker 4: Much Robert Tanyan, Oh, Yeah, as he is.
Speaker 2: He's you know, there's gonna need to be a third tight end who yes, emerges, there's a spot there.
Speaker 4: There's a spot there.
Speaker 2: And he's obviously has experienced in the past with Aaron Rodgers, has experienced in the past with plenty of this coaching staff.
Speaker 4: Thirty two years old, veteran.
Speaker 2: Tight end and an interesting piece of you know, potentially filling out that tight end room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you kind he got him for nothing late in the process, and maybe he can resurrect a career that was pretty successful in this league. And I'm sure I don't know the man, but I'm excited to hear what he's say. I'm sure he has a professional approach because he lasted quite a bit without being you know, the ultra talented guy. Sure, And what I and you need to dig into is what's his values on special teams? Is he on kickoff return or where's he help there?
Speaker 4: Those things will be seen.
Speaker 2: Here is what Robert Tanyan had to say earlier today after practice to our very own Mike Persuda.
Speaker 7: Welcome to Camp Combo Blocks you buy upmc our guest today tight end Robert Tanyan Robert. Your name was brought up to Mike McCarthy by the media today. Mike McCarthy spoke glowingly about the chance to work with you again. Does it feel like old times on Europe?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it does. I mean he got me at a twenty three, twenty four year old and now I'm thirty two, you know, eight, nine, ten years later. So it's cool to spin back and be you know, a veteran, a leader for this group of guys and just you know, navigate the and help the young guys navigate and get better every day. And along the way, I'm getting better too, and you know, I'm not gonna stop learning. And obviously we have a great quarterback, a great defense to lead us. So I'm I'm happy to be a part of it and I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 7: I can see why Mike McCarthy was enthusiastic about having you around. You're showing up here, yeah, with regularity. You back healthy.
Speaker 5: Do you feel Yeah? I feel feel as good as.
Speaker 8: You ever have, feel great, feel young, another burst of energy. We've got a great offensive group, a great locker room. I mean, this camp is a great time to just you know, mold together, the camaraderie and stuff, just hanging out at night and you know, building that foundation off the field that leads on the field. And I mean, I've said it a hundred times very since I've been here. I love this group of guys. I've only been around them for you know, a couple of weeks in OTAs and now a couple of weeks here. But I love this group of guys and I can't wait to be a part of it and see where we're going. And obviously our eyes are sitting on a Super Bowl. When you got a great defense like that, a veteran quarterback obviously of Aaron's that, I mean, you have a great place to go.
Speaker 7: We saw another two minute drive ending a touchdown directed by Aaron Rodgers today.
Speaker 8: Did any of that look familiar to you? I mean, that's that's that's his thing. Two minute and obviously even the no huddle when it's not too minute, we will we just run the offense like two minute, And I think that is a focus. You know, you can see us doing two minute a couple of times a day, whether it's walked through or it's or it's full speed. And I mean, like I said, when you have someone like that who's played almost twenty years, who's seen every defense, who's played in almost every offense. I mean we got to we gotta be able to play up to his his speed and his mind. And what better way to do it than in practice, full speed and with the bolts flying.
Speaker 7: Last thing for you, Robert, this camp very different to people who've been around here a long time, such as myself. The early start times, yeah, the emphasis on two minutes, the tempo, and the speed with which you guys are working. Is this what you expected?
Speaker 5: And do you.
Speaker 7: Understand the method behind these the point of these new methods?
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 8: I mean every every coach has their different their different views, and every offensive coordinator has their different things. But ultimately, you got to play fast, and you got to be in every position in practice before you get in the game, so the game slows down and then in the game it's quote unquote easier. But uh yeah, I mean once everyone buys in, and I mean everyone is buying in, and uh once you kind of get every all the chemistry rolling together and everyone's on the same page, I mean, good things are to come. Like I said this, this group of guys is amazing, mature, the veterans are obviously great. From Cam TJ on the other side, Uh yeah, I'm excited to be a part of it and and and just help lead and be an older vet and yeah, I'm just I'm just pumped. I'm just going along for the ride and enjoy every day.
Speaker 7: Robert, appreciate your time. Welcome to Saint Vincent College.
Speaker 8: Appreciate you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: That was Mike Persudo with new Steelers tight end Robert Tanyan. Matt, you had mentioned any potential special teams acumen for him. He has logged over seven hundred special team snaps in his NFL career, including one hundred and eight last season with the Kansas City Chiefs. He played twenty six percent of their special team's plays in Kansas City last year.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I don't think he'll probably be on like punt team, but he's probably on like kickoff kickoff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So certainly an opportunity for him with a familiar quarterback, familiar coaching staff, to be that third tight end. And I think you're right, especially if he can can carve out a role for himself on special teams. Final segment of the show final segment of the day, final segment of the acclamation period when we return Yuler and Williamson Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage up Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training canp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Lighte Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood, Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's get started remember FDIC West Shore Home we modeling, we Imagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by has Is Steak in Seahouse haws Is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 2: Final segment for us here on the drive on this Saturday, as we will have a quiet campus, we'll all go home and see our own beds much needed, and then be back for a big day on Monday. Matt, of course, Mike McCarthy, it's been a different We've outlined this many times. It's been a different training camp so far than what we're used to seeing. I'm very excited to see what that looks like over these next couple weeks when you get the pads to go on, when you get closer to preseason games and all that stuff. But certainly a lot for us to just kind of digest I think every single day out here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that part's been really interesting, really fun, and I'm curious how that correlates to when the pads come on. You know, I'm sure there'll be more changes that were not accustomed to or didn't see coming, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, So here's what Mike McCarty had to say today.
Speaker 9: Give us a highlight of what do you expect Monday to be like when you're in pastor the first time?
Speaker 10: Oh shoot, when we talked about that Monday, we got a lot of work to do today. Yeah, I mean, I think everybody's looking forward to Monday.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 10: Today is really you know, trying to really put a lid on what we accomplished in the spring. You know, we had we had some review as far as the concepts and things like that at the end of the game. Emphasis the last two days, you know, actually last three days I've been very pleased with. So I just want to wrap that up today and put a bow on it. And then you know, then the players will be off tomorrow and and then then we'll get going, you know, and we'll jump up really right back into that I would I would call a normal flow. You know, third down will be the fact big. It's just you know, come Monday, and Monday's not a full practice. You know, we're still on a limited time frame. But then you know we'll be it'll be good to get the pads on and get into some more realistic football.
Speaker 11: Mike, you've been running some of those eleven on eleven periods, two different groups side by side on the field. What's kind of the process and the method between having those groups running incorrectly during.
Speaker 10: Te Well, I mean really my methodology goes back to you know, six through twenty ten. I would say, you know, during the pre you know CBA twenty eleven, you know you were able to practice you know longer, you know, you didn't have limits, So you know, it was a it was a great experience for me as a as a first time head coach. You know, had some great mentors, you know as far as putting together a program, and you know Marty Schottenheim or Paul Hackett, you know, Ray Rhoads, and you know, and and then I think just going into your first season, you know, you just really pay attention to the numbers and it really wrong. It's a long edge, but really wrong. I'm going with this is you know, I used to do the number three thousand was something that was always in my mind because you could get you know, a thousand reps in the in the in the off season program. And you know, once again, the basis is more from my years as a quarterback coach, because you know, you you look at your opportunities, how many reps you can get, how you're gonna dissect that, cut that down and you know, apply that through the off season, grow that into the training camp. And then if you look at it, you know, it's the offense and defense usually average around eleven hundred you know plays a year. So I've always looked at the ratios of you know, how much red zone do you work on versus how much you actually used during the season. Don't have a great year on red zone and maybe we're gonna you know, do some more of that the next year. You know, Rob from Peter to pay Paul. So it's just you know, it's it's a it's a game of numbers, you know, football is numbers. Mathematics is I think very important is to pay attention to I always have, you know, so then you know, twenty eleven was kind of a Waskie. You didn't have the off season. So then from twelve on, you know, I had a standard, a goal of what I was trying to get done with the football team, and worked out pretty good in twenty ten. So I tried to really try to use that as a standard of training and just adjusting with that through the changes in the CBA. So with that is how do you get more reps? You know, how do you utilize the sports science and be played the GPS into it. So and every lot of people do it. I'm sure it was very big in college football way back when I was. When I was in college football, they called it two spot. You know, you have to you know, two offenses going through defense and so forth, and you know, trying to maximize the you know, the opportunity for the young players. So so with those mock games are in two spot. But the most important thing about that is the quality of those reps. They frankly reviewed it again today in the team meeting you know, those reps count. I mean, they're kind of I have a goal that I'm trying to hit. You know, we're just not out there correcting some things, going through the motions, so that those those reps are very important. And frankly, that's why I'm with the younger players. I'm trying to get as much time with the young players and getting them ready for the preseason game because those young guys are going to play for us. You know, it's it's it happens every year, and you preferly you hope they don't play till November December. But guess what, those are really important games. So that's the facts of the of the matter of how you train your team, the things you look about, looking around the corners and trying to make sure it goes. But you know, the two spot gives us a chance to, you know, to get the numbers up where they where I feel they need to be. Long answer, phil Abuster, there where do you.
Speaker 1: Feel that the offense is right now?
Speaker 4: As far as picking up the office?
Speaker 12: Do you feel that they're right where you thought they should be or further ahead?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Mentally, mentally, I think we're in a good place, solid place. You know, we're not you know, we're not ready to take the exam yet, but you know we're definitely in a good place, so, you know, and then to be honest, you know, it's it's about knowing what to do, you know when to do it. But you know, the real real challenge starts, you know, starts Monday, you know when the dvs and then you know, the second the perimeterive players can really put their hands on each other. You know, the line of scrimmage has to be established, whether it's the run blocking unit, the pass rush, past protection unit, pass rush and so forth. So that's you know, those weren't the time clocks really get you know, established, and and and we're close closer to the fire of real football.
Speaker 12: Mike, we've asked you a lot about the uh We've asked you about the QB School.
Speaker 4: I'm just curious about.
Speaker 5: The origin of it.
Speaker 12: How did you develop your methodology of training quarterbacks and some of the drills and.
Speaker 5: These along those lines.
Speaker 10: I mean, really the credit goes to Paul Hackett. You know, I learned it from Paul, you know, eighty nine through ninety two at the University of Pittsburgh. You know, we obviously did it in a in a collegiate you know, college setting. But you know when we when we went to Kansas City, I was able to out you know, Paul's the offensive coordinator and I was you know, hired as a quality control coach, and you know, we started that that year in ninety three and then it was you know, it's just it was a really a great group of guys, you know, so you know, with Joe Montana and Dave Craig, you know, Matt Blendon. So it's uh, it's it's something I've I've always believed in.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 10: The CBA kind of you know, wiped out some of the opportunity for the you know, because the old age, you know, you would start that in the middle of March and you were able to get four weeks of quarterback school before before the off season program started. You know, I think it was legal back then, but if it isn't, I think the Statute of Attentions and I think I'm safe, but no, it was a So that's kind of how I grew up, you know, That's that's that's what I believe in. And uh, you know, and Aaron, and I think Aaron was sheer because I've seen him talk to the younger players all the time because he's he's last guy that I coached that went through it, you know, because twenty eleven is when that offseason, you know, opportunity kind of went away. So it was just a really a great time to really have the you know, the day to break down you know, everything for the quarterback because you know, let's be honest, you go to practice every day that we're trying to squeeze in time in the beginning in between periods, and you know, every position, the old line, they get plenty of individual time to do their thing and go through all their drills and so forth. And but once you know, in all the other positions do too, but the quarterback always has to work with the running backs. They always have to work with so you know, where's their time to really work on their specific you know, details of fundamentals. So we you know, we kind of squeeze it in there in the beginning of practice and then you know, kind of squeeze it in as we can as special teams.
Speaker 5: To bring him here and what tracked you to, Tanya to bring him? How is he? How is he helps some of the young quarterbacks. He seems to be a security blank for them already.
Speaker 10: Now, Roberts a hell of a player, you know, just haven't been around him as a rookie, so and just we've always watched his career, you know, after my time with him in Green Bay. But but you know, he's you know, he he had it right away. You know, he's very instinctive player. You know, he's very very natural in the past game you can see the particularly how he attacks them, you know, the middle reads, the post routes, you know, the the alley routes, and and uh, you know so much of that is uh is about you know, the timing, the body, the body language, you know, t in tune with the clock of the quarterback. So you know, I I I think we're extremely fortunate to have Robert here. Bobby, I think the guys like to call him. But uh, he's uh, you know, he he's a really good fit for how we want to play with you.
Speaker 9: Being the offensive play color, how how do you decide how much time practice needs to be you with your and the play sheet, your voice and Aaron's ear versus were with the younger quarterbacks in the.
Speaker 10: Defense or things a little bit of a moving target. I think you can understand that. I mean, I'm I'm I'm trying to you know, you got a number of things like all head coaches do. And I'm sure he was here, say in the pastor trying to watch young guys and in individual drills and and so forth, butt this, you know, same breath. You know, I have an accent, so I got to make sure they hear my voice, you know, through the headset. I'm enjoying my accent.
Speaker 6: Knocks.
Speaker 10: Don't have to worry about it, you know, I can just let it. I can just let it go, you know. So, but just make sure you get the mechanics because I'm always worried about the next game. So communication, boundary, communication, those things are important. But I also have you know, the job of a head coach too, you know, especially earlier. You want to practice, you know, you make sort of flow with the drills, and so just keeping an eye on all that, so you know, may vary a little bit practice to practice.
Speaker 12: Mike, how would you describe the attitude of the young quarterbacks you historically at the quarterback school. I mean, you know, they come in, they got to this level, the opportunity because they're good at what they do. And then you spend a I mean obviously judged by work communicating, you just spend it very a lot of time meticulously sort.
Speaker 4: Of breaking them down.
Speaker 12: And how is are they sort of like what are you doing here? Or is it more of a hey they were opening the coaching and obviously, well.
Speaker 10: I think you know the reality of it is, you know, we all started somewhere at some time, and you know, you have a foundation in what you're believe in. I've watched the development of quarterbacks change. You know, the external training and and opportunities the quarterbacks have is is definitely a lot different today and it was thirty thirty years ago. I mean, you know, just the things they're doing with these kids in high school is pretty remarkable. Frankly, the training opportunities that they have. Uh So, being in tune with that, and there's some there's some outstanding quarterback you know programs out there that they're training them, you know, away from the schools, and it's become a pretty profitable business, you know, so with that, and I think just being in tune with you know, how people were teaching, you know, the throwing profile, the footwear, profile, and and and just being able to communicate, you know, with with the quarterbacks when they get here, because you know, everybody's it's just like anything in football. You know, everybody doesn't teach the exact same footwork as a pass rush in their stance. You know, he doesn't teach the same footwork as a defensive back. You know, it's it's you know, some people have, you know, a certain training they believe in. It's no different for myself and how we're doing it here, and it's and it's, uh, you know, we're very fortunate just from a pure quarterback training standpoint and obviously other things to have aeron here because you know, going back to reps, you know, this is what nineteen eighteen, nineteen years as a starter, I mean you're talking about God has twenty thousand live reps, you know, on top of the off season programs and so forth. So his his ability to communicate to the young guys, and they're they've been I've been impressed. I mean he made a comment to Drew yesterday in the morning meeting, and Drew went right out there and tried the footwork and the technique with his eyes. So it's a you know, you know, I'm the old he says, Hey, don't do too much, you know, but it's it's good to see him pushing and giving these guys in education of my lifetime.
Speaker 9: We got not one more we saw Dante Ken working off to the side yesterday or any of those guys on pup close to return next week.
Speaker 10: Not today, Yeah, not today. We'll see. We'll see how you know, tomorrow and everything goes. But yeah, I don't really have anything report on those guys.
Speaker 2: Mike McCarthy speaking on this Saturday, and that will do it for the acclamation period.
Speaker 4: That will do it for us today.
Speaker 2: Matt, It's been a fun first couple of days, but I'll be really looking forward to Monday and an uptick and everything going on.
Speaker 3: Phase one is in the books, you know SNR as well as for the McCarthy's first ever training camp.
Speaker 2: Here our live coverage will resume Monday morning nine am with of course Tom Offerman and Bob Labriola. Matt and I will be in our same three to six bringing up the caboose. So of course you know, another nine hours of coverage coming at you on Monday, because no one covers training camp like we do. Here on sn R. But that will do it for us for today. Thanks to everybody involved. Thanks to Ed for engineering here, our guy justin producing back the ranch. Thanks to Chris Hallick for joining us earlier on the show as well. Take care, everybody, enjoy your Sunday, and we will be back here Monday morning to do it all again. As always. You know where to find us. It's on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.