Speaker 1: All right, let's do it. Brand new second Date and update.
Speaker 2: And yeah, man, this is one of those where the first part where we're just talking to him seems so normal.
Speaker 1: Did I like, yeah, key, keep coming bye? Yeah, my goodness.
Speaker 2: So you're in for a real treat, a real schmortsport of things that have went wrong on this one.
Speaker 1: But before we get to that, let's go to comments.
Speaker 3: Yes, someone said, OMG, I'm getting so close to completing the entire podcast.
Speaker 1: This is the all I listen to now.
Speaker 3: Thanks for making my twelve and a half hour workshifts bearable. Much love from kan A Kiwi living in Australia.
Speaker 4: See, I get anxiety.
Speaker 1: This is what I do with breaking bad. I binge.
Speaker 4: The whole thing took me months and then I came down to the last few episodes I couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing. This is never ending. Yeah, yeah, that's true. Literally, we have a new episode. Okay, Monday through. You're going to quit on us before we quit on you. That's right, Yeah, that's right. That is actually the mantra here. Oh don't worry, it will never end. Okay, your brand new second Date starts right now. Brook and Jeffrey in the morning Second date updates.
Speaker 4: It's Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning, Second Date Update time, and we got I'm excited. What's wrong with that? It's time for the second date update?
Speaker 5: Fam.
Speaker 4: Well, we got an email from one of our listeners. His name is Charles, and he says he's figured out the one question that you should always ask on a first date to uncover a potential red flag.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, does this work for bed and women?
Speaker 4: I hope I think so, all right, because that question is thumb or no thumb? Well, actually that's my question. I don't know which one Charles uses, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Want to know why, So let's just move forward.
Speaker 4: I'll show you later. But let's ask Charles since he's on the phone right now. Charles, was that the question? Did I guess it right? I thought you were going to say, Charles, that's good, you can still Yeah. Do you have a preference, Charles?
Speaker 5: Oh, I guess I prefer song.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's my man. I knew I liked you all right.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: What is the question that you always ask on a first date to uncover red flags?
Speaker 5: Oh? For first dates, I always ask what did you learn from your last relationship?
Speaker 4: Interesting?
Speaker 5: Why so I hope that they're not trying to like bad talk their X because that's kind of an immature thing. It's like, you know, oh they were so there were the worst.
Speaker 4: They treat me so bad, charls.
Speaker 1: Have you never had a bad ex? Is that what's going on? Because let me tell you there's some out there that deserve a little smack talk.
Speaker 4: Well, why so Brooke is disagreeing with you? Why does that send off red flags for you?
Speaker 5: Well, because it says they're the type of person who blames someone else for their problems and a lot of negativity comes out.
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean I.
Speaker 1: Can see that. I mean you are the one that asked the question about the ex. But yes, I can see that. I can see that.
Speaker 3: Like maybe depending how long they go off about their export, you could tell if they're not over them.
Speaker 2: Like they cheated on me and this and this' But you I gave to your fairness.
Speaker 1: You're not asking about who you dated. You're asking about what you learned.
Speaker 4: Right, Are you able to move forward from using that's an interesting question. I'm assuming you had this conversation with the woman that we're going to be trying to call today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, her name is Maggie. We met on the app.
Speaker 4: And what did she say about her ex?
Speaker 5: She gave like a really mature answer. She needs more personal space for herself and it's healthy to have a couple of times and also you know alone time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, aka, that guy was clingy.
Speaker 4: But she framed it the right way. But I hear Maggie, all right, green flag for her, and I'm assuming you went on a date with her. Tell us about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wanted to be a gentleman, so I went and picked her from work.
Speaker 4: From her work, Please tell me she knew you were picking her up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, she knew I was going to come to figure her up. I drew up a little early, but you know.
Speaker 2: I just typically you like to look your best, and coming right off an eight hour shift is not going to be.
Speaker 1: Kind of smarter her part, because you could pull the I'm tired.
Speaker 2: I got.
Speaker 1: What was it like the first time you guys meet in person?
Speaker 5: She was nice. I liked her a lot. She had a warm presence. I got to see her work a little bit and help customers do her thing with the animals.
Speaker 1: She will hang it out that she wasn't done with her shift. When you got there, you.
Speaker 4: Said you got there a little early.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I got there early.
Speaker 1: Where'd you stand? You didn't wait in the car.
Speaker 5: It was a big store. There was a lot of stuff to look at.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, you're just wandering around.
Speaker 1: My date's wandering around the aisles of my workplace and.
Speaker 4: Okay, but eventually her shift must end and you go out for whatever the date is. What'd you do?
Speaker 5: I drove her uh to eat and the date didn't perfectly. I did have to use the restroom multiple times because my allergies were acting up when.
Speaker 4: You were at the restaurant eating.
Speaker 5: Yeah, was it enough.
Speaker 1: Where it bothered her? Did she indicate that in any way?
Speaker 5: I don't think so. But I wasn't at the table for part of the time. I just wanted to be more present for her.
Speaker 2: Well, remember she said she wanted some space from the last guy, So maybe this isn't a bad mood seeing a bunch of.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you're accidentally giving her some alone time that she asked for and some couple time. But you said it didn't go perfect. Why do you mention that?
Speaker 5: Well, after the meal, I had some car trouble, but I got that figure it out.
Speaker 4: What do you mean car car trouble.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well it was just a weird thing. The car wasn't starting right, but it took like ten minutes to figure out.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're a car guy, you're able to fix it.
Speaker 4: Oh maybe that shows.
Speaker 5: Where you're kind to a handyman. Yeah. Yeah. And as we were driving, I thought, let's go through something else, passed by an outdoor mall, and she said she didn't feel like staying out. I got the vibe that nothing was going well, so dropped her back off. I know this didn't end well, but self awareness, good job.
Speaker 4: A lot of guys here.
Speaker 5: At least you knew it wasn't going well.
Speaker 4: You cut your losses. You didn't keep trying to extend a bat.
Speaker 3: I feel like just suggesting Outdromal in the first place was not getting the vibe.
Speaker 5: I mean, maybe she was tired from working all day and just needed a break.
Speaker 2: Not to mention, she probably felt like she smelled like a hamster, you know, like hamsters are what those pet stores smell like. He stuck on the smell, Well, I do, I just picturing him dropping her back off at work. I assume that's what happened because her car was probably is that what happened?
Speaker 4: Charles?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's where her car was.
Speaker 4: And how did you two leave? It was there like a hug or a kiss or I don't think anyway, a hamster nuzzle? How do you end a date with her?
Speaker 5: I tried to get out of the car and opened the door for her, you know, to be a gentleman, but she was already out the door.
Speaker 4: And or oh oh whoa.
Speaker 5: She did wave at me while she left the parking lot wave.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, so maybe you're reading it right. The date wasn't going that great. What's happened since then?
Speaker 5: I tried to ask her out for another tang and she's not responding.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay. Before we go, can I just ask you your question? What have you learned from this first day?
Speaker 5: Maybe I should have taken some flow naves before the date.
Speaker 4: Let's see what's going on with Maggie here, because like you said, it didn't go perfectly, but I think there's enough to salvage it. We'll see if we can make it happen when we come back and do your second date update.
Speaker 3: Right after hold on Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning Second Date Updates.
Speaker 4: It's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. Time to recap part one of the Second Date Update with our listener Charles.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is time, Jeffrey.
Speaker 4: I do think it was kind of funny that Brooke found it so odd that Charles pulled a gentleman move and arrived early to pick her up for the date.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just it's not odd.
Speaker 2: It's just that a girl wants to like freshen up after work, but he was in the store waiting for her, so she had to go meeting Like it's it's not where I would want to be seen for the first time by a person.
Speaker 1: I'm just meeting.
Speaker 5: I get that. I get that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was just trying to be timely.
Speaker 6: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: So I don't think he meant to make her uncomfortable on anything but that they went out to eat, and he admits it wasn't a perfect date. His allergies were acting up, he had car trouble, and in the end he didn't even have a chance to give her a proper goodbye, probably because she wanted to wash that hamster smell off that Brooke was talking about. And now he's having trouble even arranging a second meetup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she gave him a wave from her car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but at least she acknowledged you on the way out, Charles, and that's got to feel good.
Speaker 5: Yes, right, Yeah, maybe I should have a shower first or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you shouldn't encourage that as soon as she gets in the car, you know. Yeah, there we go, just a car wash. They get on top of.
Speaker 1: The vehicle, driving through, roll the windows down.
Speaker 5: I really just like to know what happened. Maybe I could learn something from this. Maybe I got red flags I don't know about.
Speaker 2: You're a guy who loves some self improvement and we can definitely appreciate.
Speaker 4: But okay, lets try it. I'm gonna don Maggie and we'll see if she answers. Here we go. Hello, Hey is this Maggie?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Who's this?
Speaker 4: Hey, Maggie. This is a radio show called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning.
Speaker 6: It's a radio show.
Speaker 1: M hm, Yes, Welcome to the big time, Maggie.
Speaker 4: We are proud to say we're all over this country international, haven't been ca yet, so we're doing this segment we do. It's called a second Date Update, and we'd like you to be on it.
Speaker 2: How about no, wait, wait, wait, don't you want to hear what it's all about?
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, I really shouldn't have even asked you the question because you're already on it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: One of our listeners, Charles asked us to reach out to you.
Speaker 6: Oh my, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Now that type of response indicates that there may be something Charles can learn from you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's eager to find out what that might be because when we spoke to Charles before this, he admitted he felt like your date wasn't perfect.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, you could probably say that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you guys are on the same page. That's great.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 4: He's wondering if there's anything specific that happened that was a turn off to you, because he'd like to learn from it.
Speaker 6: H Okay, I don't even know where to start.
Speaker 1: I have an idea, Maggie.
Speaker 2: Can you just start where you're at work and Charles walks through the door at the pet store.
Speaker 6: Oh so he told you that part?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was going through your mind? Well?
Speaker 6: Okay, first of all, he was supposed to pick me up for our date after my work, right, he showed up before my ships had even started and stayed there all day.
Speaker 2: We wait started hold up, he said he got there a little early.
Speaker 1: We had assumed fifteen minutes literally hours early.
Speaker 6: He showed up for our dates.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, are you telling all of your coworkers? What's he doing to just walking the aisles?
Speaker 6: Like literally he just walked up and down the aisles of the pet store for like four hours? Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh wow?
Speaker 4: Okay, weird.
Speaker 2: You know what, if he would have started the story more specifically, we would have not had to make this call.
Speaker 4: I feel like, yes, but you do. We heard you do end up going on the date with him. How does that go?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I mean, you don't need a waffle house.
Speaker 2: Oh and it wasn't in the morning and you weren't intoxicated.
Speaker 4: So are you not a breakfast for dinner?
Speaker 5: Fan?
Speaker 4: Is that how I'm reading this?
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean it's not like your typical date night restaurant.
Speaker 1: You know, you should you should?
Speaker 4: Okay, So what happens at waffle house?
Speaker 6: Well, mostly he just like blew his nose repeatedly.
Speaker 1: Oh now, I will say he did bring that up. That wasn't his fault. He had allergies.
Speaker 6: So I mean, you don't do it at the table, just like, excuse yourself, go to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: I mean I think he had already felt like he was going to the bathroom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he didn't want to leave you alone for two longs. So that's definitely on him.
Speaker 2: Like you've already spent six hours together at this point because he was at your job for so long.
Speaker 4: Yes, so well.
Speaker 6: I mean the most embarrassing thing is what happened when we tried to leave. His car completely broke down in the parking lot at the waffle house.
Speaker 1: Oh right, Okay, that's not embarrassing. That happens. Yeah, he can't control his car.
Speaker 2: I will say, there's a lot of other things that I don't agree with him on, but the allergies in the car stuff, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, what do you do?
Speaker 6: I get it. That kind of stuff happens, you know. But our waitress had to come outside and give him a jump. And this is the waitress that he literally tipped in loose coins.
Speaker 4: Oh wait, the waitress from the restaurant had to fix his car.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was so embarrassing, Like, I mean, he didn't even kip this waitress. Well, and now she has to come outside and get like.
Speaker 1: Guys, what the economy is not great. It's hard for people out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hey, guys, I'm here. I'd like to say a few things.
Speaker 1: I think that's why.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we probably need to hear from you, because Maggie, you might not realize this, but Charles has been on the line for this entire call.
Speaker 1: Oh he was waiting like he likes to do before you were ever on the call.
Speaker 4: He was here three time.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 4: Okay, Charles, dude.
Speaker 5: First of all, I borrowed that car. It wasn't mind that broke down. It belonged to my cousin.
Speaker 4: Okay, does that help anything?
Speaker 2: Get close in the mouth here and blame the cousins.
Speaker 4: I mean, Charles, according to your theory, that's a red flag to blame other people for your own problems.
Speaker 5: Yes, if my cousin, I'm not dating him.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're not romantically evolved likelies to exes.
Speaker 4: Okay, But so that that car wasn't yours and the problems it had weren't your fault. Do you actually own your own car?
Speaker 5: No? People that own cars are stupid.
Speaker 1: Oh oh okay, so yours is also dumb.
Speaker 6: But you can't say a lot of things are stupid, like he asked me what the last two books I read were, and I told him The Hunger Games and Twilight. He told me those books are for stupid people.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh, god, Arlo, why would you say that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I prefer the Daventry code. That's just a personal preference.
Speaker 2: Dan Brown is going to talk about like high literature, Harry, that's all on the same.
Speaker 4: Level, my man. Well, okay, books and stupid people and car owners aside. Can we go back to the pet store?
Speaker 1: Oh he's got to skip over the change tip? All right.
Speaker 4: I want to know, Charles, why would you be there before her shift even started that day and.
Speaker 5: Assume me I'm early to things. God, get a.
Speaker 2: Little defensive, which does not sound like a man who's learning from past relationships.
Speaker 6: You know what. Another thing that you guys should know. He stole stuff from my work?
Speaker 4: What what?
Speaker 1: Why didn't you start with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So what what did he steal?
Speaker 6: They have these pet key chains that are hanging up by the register. There's literally a video of him taking one.
Speaker 5: He stole a bro he's still a key change Charles, Well, I thought they were free. They look cheap.
Speaker 4: He stole a cheap looking thing.
Speaker 3: You don't even have a car key to put on it.
Speaker 4: Care well, all right, so if we just look at the overview of this date, Charles shows up a little bit early to it, accidentally steals stuff from the store.
Speaker 1: You're gonna recap right before you ask her if she wants to.
Speaker 4: Just to make sure we have all the facts straight. And then then he thoughtfully plans a very nice date to an iconic American establishment. We ride hard for them, but then his borrowed car breaks down in the parking lot and the waitress who he tipped and change to jump it, has to come out and do it for him. Man, So some positives and negatives, for sure, But if we just focus on the positives, Maggie, we think Charles could be a great fixer up, doesn't we Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because every person deserves a fixer upper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like the car that he was driving. And so we would like to offer to send you out on another date with him, and if you would agree to it, we'd pay for it.
Speaker 2: Now we do have to check on the cousin's car if it's available.
Speaker 6: What do you think, Maggie, You know, I think I'm good because you also forgot about the part where he said it's the books that I read were stupid.
Speaker 4: That was a lot, Charles, Charles, do you feel like you learned what you came here to learn?
Speaker 5: I feel like she just doesn't understand things from my perspective.
Speaker 4: Yes, there we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 4: I kind of blame you on this one, Brook, what I gotta be honest. What I mean when the guy said that he showed up early for the date, why didn't you ask? Do you mean five minutes early or five hours early? You were the one who clocked the earliness as a problem. You got to dive deeper.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm sorry, thank you. This guy just seems to me like the guy who's going to write a self.
Speaker 2: Help book, you know, like he's not going to listen to anybody else's advice, but he sure is good at doling it out.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean there's a whole You're right, there's a whole book of things that you shouldn't do on it date. Yes, just listen to this and you'll figure it out for yourself.
Speaker 2: I mean, just ticking all those red flag boxes over and over again, that man.
Speaker 4: Except for waffle house. That was the one good choice that we made. Yes, Bro, come on, we stand for waffle House and we stand for helping out. Our listeners email the show. We can call that person who's not calling you back.