Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Tuesday, June eleventh. The Ravens wrapped up their first day at Mini camp practice and afterwards we had a chance to hear from some key players a head coach John Harbaugh.
Speaker 2: Let's kick things off with Coach Harps.
Speaker 3: Okay, good seeing everybody appreciate you being here. We had a really good practice. I was excited about that Mini camp, the first mandatory practice of the year, and we enjoyed it. And it's great to see the guys out there. On top of that, we had eighty Ravens legends here with their families. Uh, kind of reminiscing. I think the Ravens do a great job. Matt Little with the Ravens alumni does an amazing job. I think all our all of our people do.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: They got to cook out over there now. Kids are playing touch football or tackle football and everybody's having a great time. So really enjoying that. It's it's a once a Raven, always a Raven you really he really is a family type of a of a an organization. And when you see the guys back, the smiles their faces, who want to introduce their kids to you, our players go over, take them minute to meet their kids, to sign autographs, to do pictures. It's to me, it's what it's all about.
Speaker 5: How many did you recall?
Speaker 3: Well after I was told I got them all. But you know, sometimes the face is the name of the body. You know, everything kind of changes over time, Jerry, except for you. Yeah, you used to always stay the same.
Speaker 5: John.
Speaker 6: We talked to Ronnie about the lapse after fall starts. He said, you know, it's gonna get guys to learn very quickly the day when is that something that you just thought you bounding into that or like, you know, how long do you think you'll be continuing the rule?
Speaker 3: Well, as long as we don't, there's a really easy way to stop it. You know, don't be don't be jumping off sides. But we've been going through the off season and we're doing a lot with cadence, We're doing a lot without the line of communication, and it's challenging. So we understand there are gonna be those moments and you have a choice. You either always go on one or you say we're gonna push through it. We're gonna have that, We're gonna live with mistakes, but we're gonna We're gonna get good at it. So we want to get good at because we think it's cadence is a weapon, and we want to be able to communicate the line, and we want to be able to protect our communication. So if Toddy must the guys to run after they jump off side, they'll do it. And I appreciate Josh Johnson being the first guy to be the leader and get out there and take the first lap. So that's what leaders do.
Speaker 7: Ronnie was saying he hasn't felt the skitsin's twenty twenty.
Speaker 8: I guess it's that about what you're seeing a similarity between what you looked like before that.
Speaker 4: Season and now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't remember twenty twenty. It seems so long. That whole year is just a blip. It's just gone. You know. Did anybody remember twenty twenty? Apparently Ronnie does. And it was a good year for Ronnie, bad year for everybody else, but a good year for Ronnie. Where are we going with this? I think Ronnie's doing a good job. I really do. I mean, he got in shape, it looks like he's ready to go. That's exciting. I love Ronnie, I love I love you. Know who he is personality, but also love what he's capable of doing on the football field. You know, if we get Ronnie Stanley out there playing to that level, that would be wonderful.
Speaker 9: You along those lines, do you see a guy who's interrport from maybe or fit. Obviously he doesn't have injuries to deal with. Now if you did, you of the season in spirited in the practices and they are sensing, uh, motivation.
Speaker 5: Is probably after that work.
Speaker 9: So are you sensing something out of him is hus impressive?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I you go by what you see as a coach, you know, and and uh, as Bill Parcells said, now what you remember, you know? And uh what I see from Ronnie is he's moving his feet, looks like he's got a good anchor, and uh, you know, he'll get into the pads and just just work, just gotta get to work and really get everybody ready. I mean, he's the same as everybody else. But obviously having a a talented left tackle playing at a high level would be really good for a football team.
Speaker 5: John sol.
Speaker 6: I know, I know, and Ot there's some insight with the new door and do you have any update on the line.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 3: I guess I can say now I've talked to him a few times. The last couple of days. His baby is in the hospital fair five week old daughter.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: They brought her back in the hospital this weekend and now the last couple of days. So he felt like he couldn't really leave his family. So we understood and we excused him for that.
Speaker 5: John, we saw Kyle Hamilton is observing.
Speaker 9: Is he dealing with a physical issue and you're gonna be ready for training?
Speaker 3: Kyle will be ready. Kyle had some loose bodies in his elbow that they went ahead and just plucked out. So it's a two to three week deal.
Speaker 5: Shot with Derek, you know, running back at thirty years old. So all the wearing Terry's head over his his career.
Speaker 8: Do you guys view him as someone who can meet to him the same kind of Workplader he had.
Speaker 5: He's gonnessee here? Sure?
Speaker 3: I mean we do you know? I mean I watched it. I watched the wear and tear that he put on defenses you know and ours included over the years. And he came out, He's come out. He's in great shape. He's a stickler for detail, knowing knowing the plays, and he's moving really well. So I can't wait to see him in action.
Speaker 6: John's on that note without pads, and then they didn't, you know, roll saying that you.
Speaker 7: Know when when pads are on, that's really where he shines obviously took What can you kind of tell about this fit within the offense when you're.
Speaker 5: Doing a meaningful work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know, we run a lot of the same plays that that that everybody runs. You know, we run inside zone, outside zone, run the gap schemes. You know, we got some lead schemes, some traps. He's run all those plays before. He's really good in past protection. Uh, So you know it's uh, I don't think it's even gonna be an issue with the fit. Uh. He's gonna help us, He's gonna make the make the offense better. He's gonna help Lamar all those things.
Speaker 10: John, I know it early and and a lot of the practices is scripted right now. But when when you're when you do have Henry and Lamar out there together, are you seeing some of the uh, just the human aspect of defenders trying to guard those two guys and read option whatever the case may be.
Speaker 5: Just that hesitation that they may get.
Speaker 3: Definitely, I think to your point, you can see the potent of it, but you know, it's just it's just it's a fit drill right now. So there's really no stress being put on the defense over the offense physical physical physicality wise, but hopefully you know, the idea that he can attack from the A gap all the way out, and then the offense can attack from the A gap all around and they've got to defend him and and Lamar full with the field and the other guys full with the field. That's just the width of the field, not the depth of field. Hopefully that stretches the defense out. You know, it's kind of a big picture concept of it. But the guy that when he runs down there, it's going to be meaningful.
Speaker 5: So trying to feel like.
Speaker 2: The team is adjusting to hold the changes to the coaching staff over.
Speaker 3: The office's I think he's been great. Coach has been great. You know, our guys have come in and done a great job, and uh, you know, just I look at the product and I also look at the job the process and the process has been amazing. I think we've got we've had some great coaches and sometimes it's good to mix it up a little bit and turn it around a little bit and get another uh, just another kind of a look at things. We haven't changed our scheme on defense, but we've added stuff, We've tweaked stuff. We haven't really changed our philosophy on offense, especially from last year, but we've definitely grown the offense special teams. We're chasing this new kickoff kickoff return things, trying to figure that out. So it's a lot of a lot of excitement.
Speaker 5: John Dow's that everyone's back. You've got a lot of differents in the locker room.
Speaker 1: How do you find a way to send messages to the team when you're talking to them in meetings?
Speaker 4: That's gonna resonate both with your two time MVP and the undrafted rookie trying.
Speaker 5: To make his first roster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. It just just come comes to us as coaches, you know, then the guys, and then usually you go by what you see. It's the great thing about coaching is that people say kind of keeps you young. You know, it kind of does because you're in there with the guys. You're in there with the guys every day and there's a lot of banter and back and forth and fun. We had fun out there today. Mark and I were going out of the huddle and trying to get this thing templed up. And that's that's what you live for. I mean, that's the way. It's got to be just open and honest and just lay it out there and try to find a way to, uh to confront everything that has to do with our football and uh, I don't know. I just think we got a good bunch of guys, so it's really not hard to communicate with him.
Speaker 5: Ota and Minihammers have changed over the years and produce some of the physicality in years passes. With their reunion here, have you gotten.
Speaker 9: The bunch of the the guys coming back giving reviews on what they make of VOTs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they didn't say you about, you know, putting the flags on guys or anything like that. They didn't mention that they were they were happy to be back. And really it's always been that way. It was always supposed to be no contact, but back in the day, you know, they didn't really police it. I remember my first my first time out here with the Ravens, first time we had an o TA practice and the defense was blitzing every play. You know, Rex was bringing the heat and they were causing wreaking some havoc, you know, running through gaps and stuff like that, and uh, you know, I basically, you know, told him to calm down, and they started calling the offense. Little brother Cam got ticked off. I thought Cam and Rex were gonna go at it. Will anybody pay to see that fight? Cam and Rex? So, uh so, I don't know. Some guys said something. I said, it's a couple of things. Back to the defense. Next thing, you know, Jared Johnson's walking out in the field coming toward me. You know, you know, we're the what do you say? We were the number six defense in the league last year, you know, and I did know my numbers. I said, points, you were twenty four. Okay, point you were twenty four, So, you know, so he comes walking to everything. I looked at him. I said, I said, you want to go? You want to go right now? What I meant was, do you want to go off the field back to the locker room. He thought, like, you want to drop the gloves and go, you know, So we made up pretty quickly at that point.
Speaker 5: Johnny thought over.
Speaker 11: The offensive line, and we know those positions and the names that are competing.
Speaker 4: But how far out are you comfortable taking this realistically speaking, are you going to go through all preseason or do you want to make some of the decisions.
Speaker 5: Like you did for John last season.
Speaker 3: Great question. I really like the earlier the better. I mean, it would be nice if we can kind of by the first send of the second week in training camp. I'd be a goal to kind of have a good idea to go into the games. You know, it could go into the preseason games, but maybe just one spot maybe up for grabs or something like that. That'd be okay. But the sooner the better.
Speaker 4: You mentioned the new kickoff rules. I've been seeing a couple of teams are kind of opening up the door to anyone. They are really thinking out outside the box on who can return. I know you guys have brought in harding, and you have guys on this team that have been returned specially, But in your mind, is there anybody that's like, I'm not putting.
Speaker 11: Them back there?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's a lot of guys. Yeah I'm not going back there. Yeah, And Lamar's not going back there, and Mark's not going back there. Kyle's not going back there, Beast's not going back there, Quan is not going back there. Who else you know? Who? Mat A bk not going back there. File is not going back there, that's for sure. Stanley not going back there. Now, it's a lot there's a lot of nose catching kicks. Was he Steven Shotty's returney kicks? If Steve wats return kicked, Steve may go back there. Yes, he's allowed, he can do whatever he wants. But no, we're gonna stick with it to the serious point. You know, we're gonna it's gonna be our We're not gonna put Zay back there. We're gonna put our return guys back there. You know, those are the guys that do it. I mean, if we got an emergency and we had to have a guy because of injuries, we would do it. That shouldn't happen. We've got guys that can do it. We have returners that can do it, and some young guys that want to do it. So we'll love the guys.
Speaker 2: We also talk with veteran linebacker Roquan Smith.
Speaker 5: You've had a kind of.
Speaker 1: Success, you had kind of all grow up, the contract all this stuff.
Speaker 5: How do you approach from year to year?
Speaker 12: Where do you think that you get Oh, there's a lot of things where I think I can improve personally, but I think it's all about the team and personally and as a team, we came up short, so there's always room to get better. And part of being here, like pretty much the entire time, is that you know, I love this. You know it's my up and I love what I do, and so it's just about finding little ways to get better. But I think there's ways all across the field, whether that's you know, certain ways to beat different blocks, maybe route recognition, even quicker things like that. So I think there's a numerous amounts of things, and it's always about getting better, because you're not getting better, you're getting worse, in my opinion.
Speaker 10: Recognition to credit for your receptions today or what happened on.
Speaker 12: That one, Oh, No, I just knew most quarterbacks are taught, and then I knew we had some pressure going. So I knew most quarterbacks are taught. When the defender back is turned going up the middle, shoot just to.
Speaker 11: Lay it up.
Speaker 12: So I knew I had to get my back turned, and then somehow made a play real when you.
Speaker 7: First But do you think back to when you first met Zach Orr, how did you kind of build trust in one another and start to build that bond And obviously he's in a bigger job now, but how did you build that religionship?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Absolutely, I'm extremely proud of zero happy form and you know the way he worked got busses his tail day in and day out. Career ended short because he probably would still be playing right now if if that, if it wasn't for that. But I think it started from when I first got here, when I first got traded, my first day here, I remember him going up to his office, me going over pretty much every play that was a lot in my head was spinning a little bit, but like how he was very patient with me and was able to teach the information that I would need in order to succeee with playing a game within like six days. So I think that's just a credit to like how he get down, how he's about his business, and I'm just excited for him to show the world exactly how he called a game and how he motivates defense like no other.
Speaker 5: What is it been like going guys, Derrick Henry practice now.
Speaker 7: And what is it like knowing you.
Speaker 5: Don't have to do that Dams?
Speaker 12: Yeah, no, for sure. With d hand, it's a lot, it's a lot. It's a lot more chill right now. Because it's OTA's mini camp. He don't have on his pass so this is not his strong suit more so, it's when he put his on that's when he become that demon and whatnot. But it's great being able to line up across from that guy, one of the best backs of our generation. Got a mad respect for him and all the things he's accomplished, and I still see he has a lot of tread left on the tire. So I'm just excited for him to show the world exactly what he can do. And yeah, lining up against across from him is a lot different than lining up to go to war with him.
Speaker 4: You talking about team success, You guys last season were number one in sacks, turnings or some points allowed.
Speaker 5: How do you help yourself with that same standard going to this year?
Speaker 11: Last year doesn't matter anymore. It's a new year, new team.
Speaker 12: But we still have a lot of these dogs on the team and it's just about staying hungry. We hunt as a pack and just like I think of like safaris and things like that, like a pack of hyenas like lions or whoever it is. Don't really want to run up on those guys. So I feel like we got that kind of mindset and guys on all three levels, and we play hard and effort is something that we'll never question and just being relentless and everything we do, and I feel like if we do that, our talent will take care of everything else we got.
Speaker 8: You got a lot of chances to see trying in OTAs and the sweet in your eyes.
Speaker 5: What are the strives he's made that you can see so far early this summer.
Speaker 12: Yeah, no, I think man, I think he's gonna surprise a lot of people. Man, he's still learning, for sure, But I just think the way he don't make the same mistakes over and over every day, he learned from his mistakes, and I think that's crucial when you're young, being able not to make the same mistakes twice.
Speaker 11: And I don't think he truld well.
Speaker 12: I know he don't understand how fast, how explosive, and how powerful he is. But once he actually understand that, which I think will be very soon, watch out.
Speaker 7: Brookland how beneficial is it having Zach Oh as a defensive coordinator playing the same position that you played, Like, is that kind of helped that relationship in helping it evolved?
Speaker 11: Yeah, No, absolutely.
Speaker 12: With him being a former linebacker playing it playing at an all pro level, not many people can say they've done that and then switch over to the coaching transition. I think it definitely helps out. We see things a lot similar he played back in this league, so the way he saw things as the backer, he kind of teach it from that, which I think makes things a lot easier to understand. So I think it's gonna be great and I'm just excited to put it on display this fall. But you know, there's a process in place, and I'm respectful of that.
Speaker 11: You know, Zach has.
Speaker 6: Already talked about how being a first first time play caller, there's some challenges that come with it. His first challenge, of course, is gonna be the Kansas City Chiefs and Patch Grumps. You know, Zach, how do you think he's.
Speaker 12: Gonna be able to have pand of that step up to the plate and whatever comes is gonna throw everything he got and he's gonna be prepared, like no other than I got the utmost respect for him and the utmost confidence that he's gonna do the job with Flying Colors. I don't think there's any other questions to be asked about that.
Speaker 5: Is there stuff you do off.
Speaker 7: The field to increase that sentive partnership with and I mean like, were you texting him, you know, during during the off season. I mean, is there is there something that we don't see that's building?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 12: No, we're definitely building building a relationship. I feel like last year was a little different, younger guy, you know, head spinning.
Speaker 11: All over the place and whatnot.
Speaker 12: But there's numerous things that we do now starting off season, we're actually going to take a trip together, uh and then going to lunch dinners and things like that, and kind of understanding because I think once you understand an individual, you're able to you know.
Speaker 11: Get closer with them.
Speaker 12: And being able to understand a person that makes them lean on you a little bit more and like actually know what gets them going and what like kind of you know, takes a person. I think that's just all part of understanding someone.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 11: Well, we'll talk about it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, no idea. So yeah, Machu Peach, you that was amazing, one of the seven winners of the World, like I recommend you go.
Speaker 11: And then learning about.
Speaker 12: The history of the Incans, uh and whatnot, which I think is is pretty awesome. And then I'm a history and just being able to go see that and experience that. I actually went there with running, so it was it was pretty unique and that's one of them.
Speaker 11: So got to get get to a couple more though.
Speaker 1: Now the big addition for the Ravens this offseason was he talented veteran running back Derek Henry King. Henry is now in Baltimore. Everybody is fired up about that and he talked with the media today.
Speaker 10: Why from here, But now that you have spent time in the off season, just what are your impuestions of this team they don't.
Speaker 5: Feel especially with Lamar.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's been cool, you know, it's the culture is just like I expected to work hard. That's togetherness, our brotherhood. Everybody to pushes each other on all sides of the ball. And it's been fun learning getting everybody, but just trying to do my job as well.
Speaker 5: I think off the field with Lamar's that that has helped h.
Speaker 9: I think it developed that relationship with a little bit.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 13: I mean we haven't did anything off the field yet, but I think it just comes natural. I mean, two guys that are are down to earth, love winning, love playing football, and like I said with Zay, we both from Florida, I think it comes easy.
Speaker 8: How has the adjustment been to you for you coming to a new team, You know, you played in one team for sillball, just to ski here.
Speaker 5: How do you feel like you're catching up with all of that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's it's it's it's definitely different terminology and everything, but you know it's it's a challenge and it's fun and uh doing something new, there's always uh gonna bring uh a challenge to it. But you know, I I embrace it. It's been fun learning, uh guys helping me, uh running back coach, coach Tag helping me as well, and you know, just continue to grow, continue to learn everything and let the transition on the field.
Speaker 2: Is it the terminology or what else is really new here as compared.
Speaker 5: To the city.
Speaker 13: It just uh the way the way they do a certain thing things different than how we did in Tennessee. Some can be saying but different terminology, but it's just it's it's fun learning new stuff and uh brings the challenge to it. See how smart you are on the field as football players.
Speaker 5: So they're Columbus type.
Speaker 9: Are rich things that you've brought with you Tennessee and trying to do as a like certain designs, things they do that that you like, uh you know, not getting too in different strategy, but pretend that you like me that they do and you kind of have that dialogue with.
Speaker 13: Uh nah h, I gotta come here and show them I can do the the the things that they they present first for I even get the opportunity even I mean if it even even comes. So you know, I've just been a spunge trying to learn anything and going out going out there and trying to do my best.
Speaker 4: I know, was it in early and yet you guys haven't done a lot yet. But are you s when you go up against the defense, are you starting to get a feel of how they're playing you with you know, when you're back there with Lamar, how they're reacting to you.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 13: I think the defense is gonna gonna do what they he's always done, be physically fast and and get to the ball no matter who's back there. So it's been the same from from now how they operate in the physicality they play with to when I was playing, when I was up an opponent at Tennessee.
Speaker 2: So O, hows you through at at but just happing the morning next year?
Speaker 5: How much will that open opportunities for you?
Speaker 2: Obviously he takes so much attention of the defense, but how how much do you think that will create opportunities and lanes over you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 13: You know it definitely uh prates a different aspect because he's uh ah a dual threat quarterback and he's dangerous with his legs just as he is with his with his arm, And it's gonna be fun and uh a breath of fresh air not being the center of attention knowing that uh eyes are gonna be on him as well. But I'm just excited to get the work and put the work in out here and let it all come together when it's that time there.
Speaker 6: MOR's never really had a running back the caliber of you and and what everything that you bring. How much pressure do you think think you can take away and take off of the marshal ers just being being through the back.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think you just just just doing my job and executing, being efficient and everything that I do so we help one another. And my job is just being explosive, making disposive runs, being a threat in the run game and any anywhere else they asks me to, uh uh help out this offense. So it just me focused on doing my job just so I'm a threat to opposing defenses as long.
Speaker 5: As you can get in Tennessee. I'm sure the rhythm of things and set up of things you got rid of wrong the whole what are the ravens done here to like kind.
Speaker 9: Of help them find you?
Speaker 5: And then maybe some things that they've done with this sort of how preaches you're experience can new markets for the first time?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think football is football, and it's just uh learning the terminology and uh the way they do things. And then once all that comes all that comes together with the experience and reps out here, then I can you know, you can go be yourself. But some of the things you know, you just used to from experience doing out the years, run plays and different things like that. But your every offense has different things and and how they do it. But it's just a repetition and and getting familiar with it and then going out there and being yourself and being a great player, but you know how to be.
Speaker 3: Unique challenges and not just coming to a new team's aligned, but coming to a team that's still figuring out.
Speaker 5: It's in line with so many starters gone.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 13: I think we all just focus on getting better every year. Uh. Each team is gonna be different, and uh that's just how this business goes. And I think, uh, each guy is a it's uh embracing every single one of their roles. I know I'm uh embracing mind. Trying to work is as hard as we can and that's all you can asks for your teammates and everybody as a whole.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 9: You talk about being the center of attention for much of your career, and here go to the games where.
Speaker 14: You're not the center of attention.
Speaker 9: Do you feel like you could be as impactful in games where maybe you don't get twenty carriers?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm gonna take try to take advantage of my opportunities. I'm not gonna say no, I'm not gonna get impactful. I expect me to be impactful. Uh every time I touch the ball in each and every Sunday or whatever, uh game day, it is every day is on and have an impact and do my job the best way I know how, So for sure, Derek, have you.
Speaker 6: Had a chance to explore Baltimore in Ifsode?
Speaker 5: How do you like it?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 11: I love it.
Speaker 13: I ain't had a bad meal here yet.
Speaker 11: The food good as hell.
Speaker 13: So it's been It's been fun, especially getting around my teammates, them showing me around.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so it's been cool.
Speaker 13: So I can't wait to see to see more when I'm fully here when season starts.
Speaker 3: Derek expeaking about food, how do you plan to attack this whole pre crab cake thing from Jimmy's famous Uh?
Speaker 5: What are the restraints there? How many crab cakes have you eaten at one time? And what else does it include?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I went to uh Jimmy's Uh the first week I was here, great presentation. They gave me so much food. I was like, I can't eat all this. I'm about to take some of it home. But I definitely appreciate them their crab cakes. We're good as advertised. I don't know eat much during the season. I usually try to stay in a strict diet, but I might I might have one or two on the victory spending.
Speaker 5: On how I feel.
Speaker 1: Another really important player for this team is left tackle Ronnie Stanley.
Speaker 2: Here's what he had to say after practice.
Speaker 8: Uh, you know, I, first of all, I just think it's always good to just be around the guys and be able to do football things, be able to do drills. You know, it's some stuff you really can't mimic on your own. So it's just good good in the case. And also, I just know we have, you know a lot of new faces, a lot of new guys you know, going to be part of this team, part of this offense, and just want to make sure we just you know, get our chemistry off on the right start, do a lot of.
Speaker 4: Things help wise last season, playing through how you're feeling right now.
Speaker 5: At the start game.
Speaker 11: I feel great.
Speaker 8: I feel great. You know, I feel like I'm as you know, strong and as quick and as athletic as I've ever been. So you know, you know I'm ready to put that all in the field.
Speaker 5: Deal.
Speaker 7: Why did that ultimately feel like the right decision?
Speaker 8: Well, I just really because you know, Baltimore is you know, like a second home to me, you know, being here, uh, going in on my ninth year, and you know, missing a lot of time, and you know, you know, if that was my last year, it just wouldn't really sit right with me, you know it. I'd probably have some regret, you know, just not leaving Baltimore on the the note that I want to leave it on.
Speaker 4: You said, you're feeling as athletic as ever.
Speaker 5: Can you take us through the cash you had last week?
Speaker 8: And if you can see any of that from you could see that, Yeah, I mean it was just a split reaction thing. I mean, Herb, you know, tit the ball like he always does. You know, I just caught the ball and just made a quick move on Herb. I don't think anyone's really uh expecting it too much, but turned on the film, it was a pretty nifty move.
Speaker 5: They talk about.
Speaker 1: Building chemistry with the different combinations of offensive line we're seeing.
Speaker 5: Take me through that little bit. How are you working with them to kind of build chemistry as guys are moving in and out of different spots.
Speaker 8: Uh, you know, it's it's a lot about you know, the guy you play next to, and you know, in my case, you know, working with you know Andrew and Josh and you know the different guys in there. Sala just making sure the communication, you know, from the huddle to the line of scrimmage is clear and we know that, you know, we don't need to you know, repeat a whole play call. There's key words that we need to focus on and we can remind each other and you know, make the game easier for each other.
Speaker 6: Ronnie, what do you feel like you're implying that year is your leadership a little different just based off the guys who didn't.
Speaker 5: Come back and then something younger guys were kind of fit their shoes.
Speaker 8: I don't think the leadership rule is any different. I mean, I think one thing is, you know, I'm definitely, you know, right now, the clear oldest guy on the offensive line. So last year we had a little more veteran presence, but you know, this year we still have some older guys, but you know, maybe not as veteran.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Rod, coming back to last years obviously dealt with injuries and things. How just how frustrated, how difficult was that when it was on said and done and they didn't take you a while to get over This is the Watson.
Speaker 5: In the championship?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, you know, it was killing me. You know, uh, you know, we may have been you know, playing well, but it was really killing me on the inside, just you know, knowing that I wasn't playing to my potential and you know, and that's that's something that you know, it's hard for me to live with. So, uh but moving on from last year, I'd feel very good about this upcoming season.
Speaker 9: Kind Of physically going into this year, we're pretty scared into practice.
Speaker 5: Is energetic et cetera.
Speaker 8: Fit Yeah, I feel good. You know, I'm coming out of practice and coming out of practice, still want to have an energy, you know, still be still I could do drills right now with the guys, you know if we wanted to. So feeling real good physically, only returning starter.
Speaker 5: How have you seen him maybe step up in leadership this season?
Speaker 3: Tyler?
Speaker 8: You know, he's always been a leader since he's been here, and uh, you know, as a center, you kind of have to, you know, step into that role because you really are the eyes and ears though the line. You're you're the epicenter of everything going on. So but I mean this year, he's you know, just taking another step in this communication roles. He's always been clean and uh sharp with everything he said to us, and you know, I think he's continuing to, you know, just making sure everything is as clear as possible.
Speaker 6: What you think about the after the fall starts the lapse? You know, these days as a player, what are you thinking about this?
Speaker 8: I think we're gonna learn quickly, you know. I think it's it's gonna get through our heads. For sure.
Speaker 11: You've been the best.
Speaker 6: Player in your position, and I know you hold yourself to the high standard if you're healthy.
Speaker 5: How much far have you given?
Speaker 8: Like, hey, I'm still that guy to Oh yeah, I mean there's zero doubt in my head. You know, I'm playing the way I need to be, playing to my standard. I'm the best tackle in my head, so.
Speaker 5: You know, no pads yet, so it's hard to get that fields here running behind you guys, what do you think that's going to be?
Speaker 8: Like, I think it's gonna be very physical football, you know, smash mouth football and h and he's also an elusive player and I just look forward to to blocking for him and learning more about, you know, the type of things he sees during a run. So I can you know, make make the runs as good of a play for him as possible.
Speaker 4: Of your career.
Speaker 7: I mean, do you kind of see this as a season of renewal where if it goes well, it gets set up three or four more years. Or do you think about that?
Speaker 12: No, not really.
Speaker 8: I mean I just take every season as if it would be my last, you know. So I feel like that's why I think I care so much about you know, how I'm performing or uh my standard that you know, how I'm helping the team.
Speaker 4: Ronnie, As you're preparing for the season mentally and physically, was there something you wanted to emphasize on coming into the year.
Speaker 8: I just wanted to be able to be the player I know it could be, you know for the whole season, you know, for for my team and you know, for myself, for my family, but you know, just really uh making sure that cause I I know what it takes to do that, and just making sure that I was focused on, uh doing the things I needed to do to get there. And it may have been different from you know, other years in the past that I needed to focus on to to be to that same level. And so this off season was you know, did a lot of things to to get there.
Speaker 6: For your physical shape, What when was the last time do you think you were you felt that you're at this level.
Speaker 8: Uh yeah, I would say beginning of twenty twenty, I think ordinate Scien.
Speaker 9: You were maybe might look at you with broken when the news about the contract alteration came out.
Speaker 5: Was that intentional or or did you?
Speaker 14: Did you you want to kind of not head you mine on football and when you were going through the concourse.
Speaker 8: Uh no, I was actually there like weeks before I posted that picture, so but yeah, I just happened to post it around the same time.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcasts as always. You can listen to all of our press conferences here and their entirety. Also, make sure you check out the Ravens Lounge podcast feed. That's where we do a full breakdown of everything that we're seeing out there on the practice field, as well as interviews and in depth conversations with our players. Hit that subscribe button here as well as the Lounge podcast feed. Thank you so much for listening, and we'll be back with you tomorrow as the Ravens continue through mandatory mini camp.