Speaker 1: Now, the Shotgun Starting golf is full of mathematics. There's a lot of setup work that we have to do in order to make a tournament work. So I'm going to demonstrate to you just exactly how we do a shotgun start. Here and there are.
Speaker 2: Alright, alright, alright?
Speaker 3: Did do man? Dark? You are.
Speaker 2: Ingredients and welcome to my Wednesday edition of the Shotgun Start. It is Mark twenty seven, Shane.
Speaker 3: How we doing, Brendan, I love me a good golf hat. And for people that can't see this or see you, I gotta say maybe top three best golf hat I've ever seen that you're wearing right now, so good.
Speaker 2: I procured it at the Royal Port Rush. It's a good one rope hat we've we've I'm not a member of Royal Port Rush. I know some people are sensitive about getting hats for clubs. It's just a good look at hat that I wanted and I decided to get it. It's a rope we've swung the other way. I think a big one now is like the name of the club and the script or in some sort of typeface. I would caution not the ones that eliminate the vowels and just start throwing letters against the wall. But there is sort of a Jewish I didn't see those in the pro shop, but there's a lot of So this is just yeah that like whatever American Needles says it in print. Now sometimes I like the little the tiny little logo that with no words on it too, But we're in a moment here where I think a little more words are okay too on some styles, which brings us to someone tweeted at us they were getting hollered at by his wife or significant other. Why do you have this hat? It was the Gnomeses hat, which is you know that provokes a lot of separate questions for many different reasons. But I think this person was complaining about you have too many? You have just enough hats already. Why did you have to add this one to the collection? Never mind the whole Swinger implications for it. But they asked you, as an authority had of the day. I think you've had like a hat room in your one of your domiciles at some point, so we punped it to you. How many hats is too many hats?
Speaker 3: I mean it's a space issue for most people, right, So it's all about like how much space do you have. I would say for a regular non psychopath like me, with all the hats, I would say, when you're getting north to thirty, that's probably too many. I think north of thirty is probably to cut off, because again it's like you can wear a different hat every day of the month, you're probably good to go. I would say. It's a little bit like somebody once told me the Coade hangar rule of shirts, right where you flip the coat hangers the wrong way on January first, and if they're still flipped the wrong way at the end of the year and you'dn wear it for a year, like get rid of that shirt. I would say, like do that with your hats, like like stack them in order. Once you wear the hat, put it on the bottom, keep it going. And when you get to like the last hat in your stack, if you have no interest in wearing that one, that one that one can can see the curve.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's an interesting I probably have right now like seventy five to ninety to one hundred hats, and you know, I'm sure there are like fifteen to twenty that are in the rotation, and then a lot of them are like I'll be honest. Freebies like oh I could wear that on the beach, you know, it just gets wet and sand and salt. Or I could work out in that one, but then you never actually do. And like, there's some I need to go through and find. I mean some of these that I were given to me. I don't mean to be ungrateful for that that you know, an equipment brand of some or are just like really garish, like terrible. I have a great Live under par hat that was so bad it's good. We'll get to the DLF here in a minute. But like the Live under par original that the tour sent me like six seven years ago, has gone from so bad it's good. That remains in my closet and I will never get rid of that on purpose because I'd like to break that out every now and then as a bit. But you're right, I need to. I like the code hainer. I've never heard that one where if you flip it for a year and it doesn't flip back, that's a great strategy. I like that with hats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean, like you know that the hat thing you're still right about, like when you're in the space we're in you get a lot of hats in the mail, right, you get a lot of hats sent to you. One good place to donate hats is like a caddy yard. So if you have a golf course in the area that has a caddyard, like a really good place to take hats is somewhere like that, you know, because again, like maybe you've worn it a couple of times, it's not gross, it's not dirty necessarily. I mean, somebody else could in theory still use that hat. So I would say finding like any place where people are working outside a lot is a good place to maybe take some hats that you're not using. But yeah, I think for a normal person, you know, that's maybe not in the golf media spacer doesn't do like a social media stick around it. I'd say thirty is probably a good number.
Speaker 2: Zwe love it. Speaking of caddies, we've got to start off with some shotguns. Start catnip. I'm getting reports from the ground at DLF, We've got some great stuff. We've got a backboarding issue in Houston on the tour, but on DLF really at one of our super Bowls. There are multiple super Bowls. We don't just not just you know, we don't discriminate here. DLF is a super Bowl here at the shotguns start, the Gary player. Of course Gary is proactively or preemptively tweeting about it. He's talking about as bunkers. Of course they've got the phone roll bunkers, the artificial you know. Barry Henson old front of the program wants to a tutorial for us from there, a personalized video that we were able to show of you know, him clinking and clanking the ball off these things. But DLF and the Indian Open on the DP World Tour really is kind of a staple. It was just one of the great sort of you know, I won't say tragedy, because there were many way worse things of the pandemic, but one of the great misfortunes of the pandemic was we had no hero Indie Open for like three or four years so for this podcast. But we have come back and come back with a vengeance. And speaking of caddies, I'm getting sources saying on the ground at DLF that there are many caddies grumbling grumbling this week about a potential yardage book issue, which brings up this whole like yardage book debate Apparently the yardage books by and large have gotten so good that it sort of marginalized the advantage of a good caddy versus a bad caddy. As one person explained to me, it's like you could just have any brother come out and it's just read the yardage book to me. But it's your brother and he's your caddy, and that's what it goes. And there's some older chaps grumbling about this, but apparently this one at DLF because d LF is so bad. It's good, so quirky, so weird, so bizarre that you'd need, I guess the personal annotations needed for this week are significant because hey, actually, if you hit it to that spot, it's not as someone explained to me, it's become golf by numbers with a lot of these yardist books, where's this one Gary player, the strategic master around that he is, has put them in a blender that maybe hitting to these certain spots eighteen that GOOFY eighteen being one of them, you're just totally screwed angle wise. So there's a lot of grumbling in the caddy yard apparently about this yardage book needing too many personal notes at DLF and that's the kind of course we would like to champion on this podcast.
Speaker 3: I will first say that for this podcast, could you imagine a better news dump on this week than that? Like, it's got to make you smile from me. You're you're like you, I listen. I know some stuff can rub you the wrong way. A lot of things probably can rub you the wrong wrong way. Brendan we've heard a lot about him on this podcast over the years, chicken citrus, things like that, but uh, nothing, nothing, nothing's better than than a good yardage book controversy and by the way, speaking of the bunkers in this event, I got a good laugh out of this. You know, Gary Player was tweeting about the bunkers or whatever he was saying preemptively, as you said, Mark Player responded to a tweet about the bunkers they look like a bear but play like a puppy about the bunkers, which I don't even know what that means. I don't even know what that means.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't either. That seems like a mixed metaphor of some kind. I don't really get it. Gary Players quote my favorite bunkers. I'm not going to try to impersonate him. That's k's a really good My favorite book occurs. They prevent the ball from plugging in the face. Well, that is true. That is a statement of fact. Gary, by the way, they reduce maintenance cost parentheses, especially after rain You can make them any color you want, which is just where he's really taken me on a ride and I am all in. You can make them you want.
Speaker 3: Brinted lead into it, like, let's make him red and orange and green and weird. Like, if you're gonna say it, let's see it.
Speaker 2: Well, each each like roll could be a different color. You could do every color in the spectrum a rainbow. You can start making all sorts of statements about anything. Yeah, and in my opinion, they are esthetically pleasing. Now he gets to the subjective a lot of statement of facts. They don't plug. Yeah, then he goes esthetically pleasing, where I think gets into a more subjective debate. The all earth thing, though, is what everybody got. I love Gary Player, just leaning it all the best to play it in the India this week hashtag Gary Player design which I just got to click on that. Let's see what we got in here, Blue Valley, Wildstone Turn I mean, big seat.
Speaker 3: How many how many total? How many total tweets ever with that hashtag? Can you count them all?
Speaker 2: There's I mean, we're going I'm already at twenty fifteen. So yeah, I didn't scroll a very long. I just went back about a decade of tweets a hashtag Gary Player.
Speaker 3: Listen, listen. Can I say something here real quick to everybody out in this world. It is twenty twenty four, guys, twenty twenty four. Twitter, the way it used to exist, the whole hashtagging around things work. It doesn't work anymore, does it. Nobody uses them, Stop telling people to use them. Stop having these elongated, elaborate hashtags about your event. No body ever, nobody ever does it.
Speaker 2: No, it's not a it's not a functional thing anymore. I remember when Shaq was like on Twitter and that like remember like twenty nine to ten Twitter, it was like Shack and that was like he would use hashtags and it felt like you were supposed to be using them then. But now that's not a thing anyway.
Speaker 3: It was it was. It was literally in a world where the athletes that existed on Twitter were Shaquille O'Neill and Stuarts and that was it.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, that was twit a bit of a bit of a retort to Gary Player's design of Gary Players tweet, This is more intel from the ground. I've just got sources all over DLF getting at me about the caddyard grumbles a separate issue. This is a quote, and just imagine in a great accent. It's someone with a you know, year over year familiarity with DLF. You go around this golf course and every year people start to say, ah, no, it's okay, it's getting better. It's only it's growing on me or they're used to getting around it more now end quote. It's absolute insanity response to that. It's a response to that impersonation. It's absolute sanity. There are hints of Gary Player everywhere. Gary will tell us this is the greatest course in this part of Asia. Well he's clearly never played it, so that comes from the ground as well. Absolute insanity about people even suggesting that it might be getting up, growing on them or getting okay. So this is from someone who's been around it many times. So that's your DLF update.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's a bummer that Gary Player didn't like lean into Gary Player stuff more with his golf course designs, whereas like after like the sixth hole, you had to do like a five minute plank, and then after like when you made the turn, you had Now he holds the clubs with his fingers, Like I wish that that was a little bit more of his designs. You know, like like some Gary play one moment you have to like reveal how many hours you've been in an airplane, like to somebody like on a tee, and then they maybe like back check you to make sure you're accurate. Like, I just feel like you could have leaned into this a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Start calling people fat. You know. He called me fat once at the Masters, So I asked why. Oh yeah, I walked him in. I asked him to basically I walked him into it.
Speaker 4: It was a yeah, yeah, Can I ask you this was that?
Speaker 3: Was that part of you losing weight with the Gary player? No?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm not that insecure of a Gary player. Anything he says would drive me to do anything one way or another. God No, I tell him it's about time to get in better shape. But yes, I enjoyed. I enjoyed being a huskier boy. I kind of I asked him. Basically, I got him there. I wanted him to just rip on me for the content sake, basically is what it was. But yeah, that was his That could be part of his stick, and the different colored bunker faces would be a well, uh second part of intel. We're gonna jump across an ocean here, maybe multiple oceans. We're not geographic experts. To Houston. The Memorial Park, another shotgun. Start catting at seventeenth hole. I've wrote extensively about this in a club TF tour tour guide. I got some good intel on this seventeenth hole. Of course, this is Tom dok renovated Memorial Park, maybe like the one of the best public values in golf if you're a resident in Houston. It's like I think weekend mornings, like the most expensive possible rate is like thirty eight dollars. Sometimes it's twenty, you know, weeknights, and fifteen for senior. Amazing deal. So Dok has renovated this course and they seventeenth hole supposed to be this driveable four. But like guys are hitting like nine iron, nine iron. I don't know if you remember this, because there's just like there's they just start hitting it two hundred yards out there and then hitting at like one hundred and fifty in like it just they don't they're not taking it on. So Doak was there all summer shaping and renovating this whole update to make apparently by the tours, you know, wants more guys going for it, and probably Tom does too. I don't have any I haven't talked to him and he might have, but haven't talked to him yet. So they added like a more they lengthened it and then added more like generous run up right so like you could kind of hit a cut and run it in there, you know, just to promote more guys going for it. But maybe what he didn't envision while doing this was the PGA tour putting a giant backboard around the back and thirty five forty yards up the side of the fairway where guys could also now just wail away and get a soft landing off the ivy on the wall along this drive of a par four. So this a lot of people down in Houston are like, look, we had this work done. There's intent with the hole of risk if you just kind of if you do, you know, there's more you know, enticement, I should say to go for it, But there's also risk. Well some of that's been eliminated because you've got you know, the big green monster apparently just and it's not just behind. It's like running like thirty yards up the fairway on the left where there's not the water. So like if you're not going right for the green, even less risk is just to whale away and just launch and it's all short grass pretty much, so you're not getting some nasty little drop zone or something like that. So guys, I love that dok making these work, this work, and then just the tour slamming a backboard right on top of it seventeen.
Speaker 3: So so it feels Brendan like you're saying, we could see a rom at Riviera situation from last year. Remember he banked it off the grand stand on seventeen to like four feet made eagle. I think that was in like the second or third round. Like, I mean, you know rom won that week. I mean that that grandstand's not there. I mean he's not making prety likely, So I mean a chance here to really be influential, you know, and instrumental in the way that this thing shakes out potentially.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I mean I don't know if I don't know, if there's potential for that. Yes, it would take a really big hit and a kind of lucky bounce. But it's just one of these things where like you had all his work done. Apparently Douk was out there a ton like all summer. They shut it down in June. Also apparently the Green is like nuclear firm compared to all the others because it's new, like it's a newish green and it just hasn't taken as well as they thought it would by now, so it's going to be firmer and like you just have guys can launch it in the green and bounce it off the backboard, or launch it not even go for the green, take out all the risk and just right off the fairway backboard. So I don't know. It's just an amusing thing. Notes from the ground at DLF and now also a memorial park.
Speaker 3: You know, you know you mentioned the way it used to play Brendan and A last I was playing a. I think it was a met MGA qualifier for the Ike, which is like one of their bigger events up in the met area. And you know, you'll play these like super short, relatively quirky Northeast golf courses in these qualifiers. You know, it's like a lot of them are between sixty two and sixty four hundred yards not extremely long, but some can be very tricky, very quirky whatever. I was playing with one other guy, so it was a twosome, and we get up on this back nine tar four straight downhill like two ninety I think, max, okay, I mean it couldn't have been three of yards, and there's like a three group backup, and me and the guy I'm playing with her were comfortably inside the number, like I think we were both like one over and it looked like two or three over was gonna get through. And Brendan, we are just watching dudes. There's like trash out of bounds left and like super high like waist high rough right, okay, And we are just watching dude after dude snipe it left in the shit or push it right and have to retea. And we were watching this and I mean, I see about six dudes. Nobody hits one even on the planet. I mean, I'm seeing guys re tea over and over again. And I looked at the guy and play with him like, well, I'm not doing that. And I went nine iron lob wedge into a part four and I can't. And as I'm on the tee, I remember thinking to myself, nine iron might be too much. I was thinking that I might have too much iron and uh, a little sketchy, a little, a little icy there.
Speaker 2: A little too wild. You can reduce the reduced the chance for anything going too far astray. Just hit a wedge. Wedge, yeah, wedge.
Speaker 3: Not a great not a great design. It's my point.
Speaker 2: That's your update from the ground. One great design that we love is everything Tratty great design. Some of our favorites. Look, they hit the they hit their marks. They're getting a little more diverse with some of the stuff. But like we love the tried and true, but like we were trying the new stuff. We'll try they tried true Liam polos, the Proving Pima cotton polos. It's that kind of season. I was living in a russ quarter zip today basically took the kids to school in it, and I never you know, it's what I wore all day. It's kind of what we wear most every day. Well, we'll be in the Masters we've got some cool hoodies all dialed up for those so that we've got a good layering pieces. Now they've kind of they're experimenting with some prints, but they also got their tried and true kind of Liam polos, the cotton polos. If you're starting to get into sweaty boy season wherever you may live, they've got the sport collection. And that's not just for polos, it's shorts, it's kind of pullovers. Everything you go to b dradty dot com use the promo code SGS thirty. You know, they've been kind of big supporters of ours. A lot of the stuff in the shop that we our own shop is b Dratty, some of the basics, like we talked about some of their new stuff, like the cool hoodies. But they've been great friends of the program, great supporters. I know we're gonna be doing something down at the Masters with them. Some Q and A stuff. I don't know, it's just product that, like some of these things, you feel like you might need to force the issue. Sometimes you know you're you're there's some cognitive dissonance involved. That's not the case. But these guys, ever, and it hasn't been the case for five years. It's basically all we have in our closets.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And it's for a reason like completely comfortable, completely our style.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 2: And really been great friends of the program. So you can support them for supporting us. To use the promo code SGS thirty at braddy dot com. That'll knock off thirty percent as you check out.
Speaker 3: And and Brendan, I just want to tell you this about beach ready, I've been living. They sent me one of those those sweatshirts, like the crew sweatshirts with the pouch in the middle. I'm sure you know the name of this, yeah, Rusk they but they sent me the U of A one And obviously you know with you of a inn attorney. I've been living in that thing this weekend, so very I'm a big fan of that thing. I think it's sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one. Andy lives in those two. Yeah, I have a few of them myself. All right, nice, let's get to our schedule for the week. We've mentioned DLF, we mentioned Memorial Park, so we'll start there. The Texas Children's Houston Open back after year off. This was last played in the fall of twenty twenty two. And of course with all the schedule changes, match plays out, match play comes, there's designated, there's elevated, there's signature, a lot of changes. Basically the PGA Tour. This has not been played since fall of twenty twenty two. It's back and it's sort of not exact pre Master spot. Remember they used to have the Shell Houston open the week before in the agronomy and the setup would try to approximate as much as you could Augusta and it really attracted a lot of guys for that reason. But it's back in a preferable spot. Then it's fall slot. The last few times it's played, that's Memorial Park. We talked about that being one of the great sort of public excess places certainly on the PGA Tour. That will be on Golf Chain all four to seven pm NBC on the weekends, finishing at six pm UH Featured groups we have tea times already. Feature groups Scheffler xalatoris Malnadi. Wow, that's Peppie Peter Petty Peter step stepping up into the big time. Yeah, that's like, I mean.
Speaker 3: That's Brendon. That's a great group to go watch, Like for a lower level events. That's that's an awesome group to go see. I mean more for the first two than the last guy. No offense to to Malmadi in the wind, but yeah, I mean, you know, like Xalaturus and s Sheffler playing together is about I mean, that's probably what two of the top four best ball strikers on the planet playing in the same group.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and been playing pretty well obviously Scheffler has, but Zala tauris much much better since his you know, kind of ugly return. So that's that's marquee group. Feature groups are Jake Knapp, Akha Batilla Adams fencing than Nick Dunlap, Luke List and k A not a not a great field For this evidence by Scheffler being an outrageous three to one outrageous by golf. I think he was three to one last I saw nuts for gold. I mean, that's Tiger and his prime type number three to one's crazy as low as it gets, really.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's also it seems like and I and you know you guys. I was listening to you guys last year, and I think it was around the Mexico Open, and I don't I don't know if it was you or Andy that made this point, But you guys picked Ram that week as you're one and done pick, and the point was he is so much better than everybody else that was in that field, as opposed to have taken him at a major championship where you'd kind of think to burn a John Rahm. You take him in, you know, a deluded field, and you got a way better chance of been winning. And of course he goes on and wins that week. If you were, if you were, if you hadn't u Scotti Schffer and won and Dudley. Yet this it feels like a pretty good week to use him. Does that make sense? Kind of backing off what you guys said with Ram in the Mexico Open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's still it's not like a twenty million dollar perse, but it's got to be what eight or nine? I have it right here. It's it's nine point one. So yeah, it's like it's not like what mad like two weeks. Yeah, yeah, but again it's it's worth it. It's not like a four hundred thousand dollars winters perse. It's it's one point seven basically, so go for it. Yeah, he's down to like plus two fifty and some. That's nice. Rob last year at Mexico was like plus three eighty. I'm ringing a golf die just so, Yeah, he's down to three to one essentially to fifty crazy fIF crazy great. Do you have one and done pick while we're doing gambling corner here? You can? It's awesome on my behalf.
Speaker 3: So I'm picking on and I've not discussed this with him at all, but I'm gonna take Adam Spenson is my one and done pick. He's been playing some solid golf as of late, and I just feel like off the heels of the playing with me and a pro am, you know, in my only pro am appearance ever, I feel like we've seen some great spins and momentum. So I mean, I'm gonna lean into too. My pro am partner.
Speaker 2: How was he as a pro am partners? Genteel Canadian? Yeah he was.
Speaker 3: He was like he's quiet, but I mean quiet an extremely kind, very nice, very approachable. I was a big fan, I will say this. He we finished up the pro am. We were one of the last groups. And you know, when you're a last group at a pro am, especially at Riviera, I mean you're finishing almost in the dark. He sprinted, He shook her hands and said bye. He sprinted to the range off eighteen and almost pitch dark to work on the swing. And then he went out there in the first round shot some good number and had a great week of rib for the second straight year. So something had to get worked out. But it was just funny watching a pro like go try to find it at seven thirty pm on a Wednesday night when he's got an early t time on Thursday.
Speaker 2: You know, yep, yep, love that. I'm gonna go fee now. I don't know. I don't know what to make of Tony fin anymore. Right now. It feels like he hasn't played a lot almost. I don't know if he's just not been like on our television screen much. You obviously won it here. I think it was the very last time they played it, so but that was two years ago. I'm gonna go with female. I'm not sure he's done okay. I think he started to trend better, like top twenties and like, you know, three or four of his last events done well here before. I'm gonna go with Tony. It feels like a good spot to use him. In this field. So those are your that that is your What else do we have for.
Speaker 3: Do you do you even keep do you keep track of the one and done so?
Speaker 4: Or do you guys just say I just know it's a bit Yeah, No, it's yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: Okay and Doude, do you know if you've used anybody at any point or no, it's just off of memory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's off of memory. I think I got I think I used like Max or something like twice in like four weeks and within the first like six events year, Like, well, that's a bagel zero for you. This week you just used home of two weeks ago. So there are people tracking it for us, but we are not done. That's way too much, too generous of us to be that organized. But other notables are Wyndham Clark, Jason Day, Nick Dunlap Fino, Patty Harrington stepping down to play with the young Bucks, Bobby McIntyre, Scheffler, we mentioned Woodland, and Xalatoris. So those are your notables. We should get to Cutthroat Corner third week. We've done Cutthroat Corner two weeks ago. Is Troy Merritt, Like, how did he in? The players? We looked at the resume a little closer. Last week was JB. Holmes, who ended up w DAN hadn't had a top ten since before the pandemic, which started was four years ago. I don't want to be mean again. This isn't mean. This isn't to be mean or to call people out. We're just sort of applying some of Rory's comments about the Tony need to be more cutthroat. Wyndham Clark making a look at were it to be more cutthroat where some people might be left on the outside looking at not my not my cold heart at all looking at this. So there's a lot of options. This week. JB. Holmes is back, so he's just a we'll see if he wd's or not. You know, again, there aren't alternates. There weren't because there's these fields are so big. A lot of people asking for Ryan Palmer, who got a sponsor's exemption to be put in there, the tugboat brand Snedeker, he's on Cutthroat Corner Watch. He'll probably be a nominee in a subsequent week. But what I'm gonna go for here just to start a discussion, because this made my eyes bulge on a two year winners exemption. So on a two year winters exemption where time doesn't matter because it's been way more than two years. Is Kevin Kissner Okay? So Kevin Kissner a real pro, has won many multiple times on the PGA tour contended, Uh, kind of doesn't fit the modern circuit that well, like he has to pick and choose the spots a colonial the travelers. You know, his game is great. It doesn't fit. But I needed to look a little closer because two year winner exemption, well, that two year winner's exception goes back to the twenty twenty one Greensboro. It's twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, yes, if you listen to the Andy episode, you know I'm not a math person. That's more than two years, Brendan. I'm almost positive.
Speaker 2: I know there's some COVID year like extra baked in COVID, this, that and the other. But what I think. I don't have a big problem with him being in the field. He's a pro, he's been injured, he's trying to get back. But the two year exemption thing is like, if we're gonna be cutthroat, why that's more than two years. That's more than give a major medical person, give us something else. So I looked a little closer. He's playing off in August twenty twenty one win. He's five hundred and sixth in the world since his last top ten. I think he said twenty one miss cuts three wds. That's from his last win, So that August twenty one like a lot of miss cuts. He made only six cuts last year, his best finished last year. Now he had injury. I want to say he should probably like he's a guy who's done consistently well over time on the tour. But again, if we're being cutthroat, like where are we at now? He's missed all five cuts that he started in this year. He beat seven guys at Sony, he beat four guys at Amex, he beat only eleven guys at Honda. He beat forty six guys at the pr Open, and he beat only one guy last week at the valspar So he's missing cuts and not you know, finishing pretty low. He's been hurt. I'm trying to be as benevolent here as possible. He got hot in March of two years ago, two years ago where he finished fourth at the Players and then did runner up at WGC match play, and that was kind of his last, like it's two years in March of two years ago his last real kind of and it was like a four week stretch. Part of that's been injury, part of that's been form. He really he's five hundred and six in the world and he's fallen off and to be playing off a two year winter exemption, it just feels like, you know, this ain't no hobby, as he would say, and I don't know if we're getting too hobby time, like he just it's not fair to him given the injury circumstances. I think you should get exemptions and have the chance to play. It's not been good with those chances this year, but just something I just didn't realize he'd fallen off so hard. I knew there were injuries, but I just didn't realize he had fallen off so hard. So that's your cutthroat corner again. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in PGA tour fields anymore given all he's done in his career and the injury being sort of intervening issue, but it's not been very good for like two plus years now, So yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean It's it's hard, Brendan. It's hard to be trying to be really good, like a plus at two things at the same time. Right, And obviously we've seen him kind of bouncing the TV thing over the last few months, and then we've seen him improve in the TV space. I thought he was at his best at the Players in my opinion, in those seats, both with Smiley and in the booth like that. But that takes up time. And you know, I mean, I remember listening to Max talk it might have been a year, a year and a half, two years ago or something about like maintaining the greatness that he has right now, and how you know, you're just feeling like you're almost putting in more hours to just maintain how good you are. And it's so exhausting to just simply maintain, and to improve takes even more of a step, right, takes a bigger leap if you want to improve when you're trying to be one of the best golfers in the world, and if your kisner and now you've got meetings and you've got calls, and you've got to fly out on a windy morning, you know, to do a production meeting and do all the planning and prepping that you got to do. That's simply taking away hours that you could be putting in to your craft on the golf course. And so I just feel like, you know, you're kind of caught in the middle a little bit right where you're coming back from injury, the golf game's not great. You're potentially considering this transition to another field and another profession, all while it's kind of still in the same ecosystem as golf, and that is going to take an effect on something, right, It's going to take effect on your personal life, your professional life, whatever the case may be. And obviously it seems like it's been the golf I mean, and some of the numbers this year, Brendan, I mean, I know you said he's missed cuts and he hadn't beat a lot of guys, but I mean some of the numbers, it's some of the scorable golf courses. I mean, you're talking like seventy seven, seventy eight, seventy nine's in that space right now. So it's not that he's missing cuts, it's that he's not even really that close in terms of playing good golf.
Speaker 2: Right right, I think he's probably like, if we're being really cut throught, there's way more guys on this. This just the two year winners exemption is what jumped off to me, like like a guy who has won on the tour and again, but I just didn't realize how like kind of fallow it's been for almost and some of that's injury related, but certainly the year, the start of this year has not been been great either, but we should give him some time. He's shown he he's not a guy that like, he's won four times, but he's not a guy that just like misses cuts he's or makes cuts. He's a guy that's like a lot of top tens and top twenty five at least super took in and that just hasn't really been the case really since that March of like twenty twenty two. So that's your Houston Open. I don't know abstract real quick on that, we got to the DLF. That's the Indian Open, the hero Indian Open, that's one of our favorites. I don't know. Do we want to do notables? Do we need to do we need to get notables. Shub Sharma of course. Rafa Cabarabeo will always have the twenty sixteen Ryder Cup at Hazel. Team haven't really seen him since Rasmus Hoyguard, Kazumi Kabora, Honor Bon Lahiri of h what's he on? Crushers? Crushers GC? Honorbon is coming in?
Speaker 3: By the way, do you know that? Like? Are you one hundred percent he's on crushers? Are you sure about that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Because I'm very oppressed. Yeah, I'm actually very impressed. You know this?
Speaker 2: He's with Bryson and uh Charlie Halle the third and who else? Paul Casey. I think that's my crusher's roster.
Speaker 3: Now, No, now here's that? Do you know that from YouTube? Like? Is that why you know that? Because of the YouTube video with Bryson and Lahari? Or do just know that because your brain's weird.
Speaker 2: Brain's weird. I do a podcast three times a week on golf and professional golf, and I just, yeah, committed that from memory.
Speaker 3: I guess there you go.
Speaker 2: So that's coffee golf three thirty eight thirty in the morning. Uh, that's that's your European Tour event DP World Tour person is only two point twenty five million. That is not a lot of money. But you know, I did they did say other report the waters drink ball this week at the Indian Open. But guys, a lot of players are taking a tiny flask of whiskey and they're taking a nip of each each morning and evening to ward off germs and stomach ailments. At the hero Indian Open, caddies and players taking just a quick little bite. You know, maybe there's various medicines, vaccinations, but apparently this is the thing that's going around the Indian Open, a little nip in the morning and evening to kind of word off stomach ailments, the nip of whiskey.
Speaker 3: So all right, So I got my golf clubs, I've got my band aids, I've got my practice tools. I've got my little bottle of Elijah Craig in my bag or somewhere. You know, It's like would have been such a weird like addition to what you're.
Speaker 2: Doing right right right on the LPGA Tour with the Ford Championship presented by Casey C. I don't know what that is. That's at Seville Golf and Country Club in Gilbert, Arizona. Are you familiar with that? The Prospector Course. Where's Gilbert, Arizona.
Speaker 1: Area.
Speaker 3: I think I've played it, but I mean I think it was like if I'm dating how long it's been, I think it was a Gateway Tour event and that was when I was in I was like, oh seven, so it's been a minute. I can't tell you a lot about the Prospectors.
Speaker 2: The Prospector as opposed to I don't know the forty nine or Court. I don't know what what what the other course name is.
Speaker 4: There's a Tucson by you by the way. In case you're wondering, I'm sure I bet uh notables. You know Seline but j Elson, Corpu's Ayaka Feru, Lydia, Nellie Minji, Lily Avu, Roseying good Field. This is a little bit of primetime golf for US East Coaster seven to nine on Thursday, Friday, six to nine on Saturday and Sunday. So a chance to watch a pretty good field on the LPGA. I can't say much about the Prospector Course, but it is a chance to watch them.
Speaker 2: Continuing on with our schedule for the week, we have the Champions Tour, we have the gall of Gallery with an Eye Classic. This is that Mission Hills Rancho Mirage. This is a second annual Galleri Classic, which you know, uh used to be Mission Hills, the old Dinah shore area. Now it's a Champions Tour event and the women are in Houston and you know, jumping into alligator infested pods and no longer the poppies pond, but uh, the Champions Tour is out there. I don't think they jump into poppies pond. They're too old, and you know they'll want to break a leg or something like that.
Speaker 3: Maybe like a cold plunge. Maybe you turn it into it like a little cold plunge. Yeah, would you you get like ten guys in there, just like in the mornings, like just getting the body going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just have them jump in one of these buckets. They cost ten thousand dollars to put on your back porch. Just set it off the eighteenth green they can jump in.
Speaker 3: It feels like that fat's going away, by the way. I mean, I know it's not really going away, but it seems like the boom has settled a bit. Your thoughts on the cold plunge.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would like to try it. Seems like very many reputable and people I respect speak highly of it. Where I have the issue is buying a bucket that's eight seven thousand dollars to put on your patio. Just just figure out something that's like a hundred bucks or a couple hundred bucks or nothing and put in your tongues like go.
Speaker 3: Buy the trash can at home. Deep. Yes, it's like forty dollars.
Speaker 2: It probably doesn't have the self regulating bullshit that they try to sell you. Why it's eight thousand dollars and this, you know, the ice doesn't melt in this one and all this, But like it's still eight thousand dollars for a bucket, and I just think that fad is thankfully going away. One of them tried to advertise with us. They said, no, I'm not doing that. So that's the Gallery Boys, the Gallery Classic. I don't know Alker, Chroy, Couples, El's, Jansen, Markomira, Andy's, you know Vaunted at now, MSS Marco, Mira, Steve Stricker, uh Tom's and Mike whir. Where do you go to say, I have a.
Speaker 3: Question because you've now read You've now read I believe two brands that I have legit never heard of in my life that are sponsoring golf tournaments if we win it. So I ask you this, if we went across every tour, every major tour, Yeah, how what's the percentage of brands that you would know what they do that sponsor professional golf tournaments? Do you think it'd be more than sixty percent?
Speaker 2: Ah, that's a good that's a good over under. Well, I think a lot of these brands don't even know what they do themselves, quite honestly, and they just make this mumbo job. We are like people management software solutions for the digital age. Wells, they just we love you know, we make world seamless and better for you. They don't even know what they do themselves. Uh, I think, Yes, I I go like fifty five percent? Yeah, I go under six. What do you think? I don't know Gallery? I don't know KCC, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like I'd have a hard time breaking fifty percent, dude, Like, I mean you could guess, like I could guess bank or software or AI like I could guess these things. But I got no clue, Like never heard of half these things.
Speaker 2: What do you think Gallery is g A L L E R. I you will not get this twenty five thousand guesses. I don't think I wouldn't know. What do you think?
Speaker 3: It sounds like it should be like a strip mall. I have no idea. I mean, I'll guess what is this chance tour? Yes, I mean I'm guessing something medical. It's got to be something medical. What is it?
Speaker 2: That's great powers of deduction on that it is a multi cancer test screening test, which you know, all the more power to gallery if that's what they're doing a great We don't want to be smirched the product in any way. I just didn't have any clue what it was. Yeah, yeah, I mean stops.
Speaker 3: Many, thank you. There's just so many brands. There's so many brands that make so much. This is my my Scottsdale. Take Brendan. When you go to like North Scottsdale and you're driving around and it's just four million dollar homes as far as the eye can see, and I just think to myself, how do all these people have enough money to buy a four million dollar home that they probably only stay at half the year. And I think the same thing with these companies, where I'm like, listen, you're doing this, You're helping with cancer research. Good on you. We are applauding you, and we're proud of you. I just don't know how there's this many companies that have enough money to be like, we'll just we'll sponsor golf tournaments too, Like we'll just throw that into the marketing budget.
Speaker 2: Say, never understood that. I completely agree. That's a great analogy. I think that does it for our schedule for the week. I don't have anything else news. You know, TGL is back. They're coming hot and heavy. They're committed January twenty twenty five. They've got schedules and dates and you know, the the arena is gonna have steel instead of bubble wrap or whatever it was. And uh so they're coming out. They had an animation thing with Ricky that had to cost a fortune to make, you know, just so much thousands and but those things called those animations cost so much money. So they did that.
Speaker 3: They're back there.
Speaker 2: They're just they don't have all the teams and players announced, but that is that's news that they came.
Speaker 3: Out with that. Oh hey, Brendan, I did add a question for you, had a question for you. Ippose this on Twitter yesterday. So Claire Rogers goolf dot com. We're both friends and fans of hers. She did a thing with Rory where she was talking about Rory and Shane Lowry teaming up for the Zurich And and Rory told her on this video for golf dot Com that they made the decision over a drunken lunch. And I asked this question on Twitter that I'll ask you you what do you think they were drinking? What are Rory and Shane Lowry drinking for a drunken lunch? I had the favorite of white wine, and I think my second favorite was beer, and the long shot I think I had was Mimosa's. What do you think it was? Because we know Rory's not a Guinness guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he said Guinness ship. That's a good question. Everywhere?
Speaker 3: Did you really say everywhere?
Speaker 2: On the Explorations podcast when we had Wow, he said it's a Guinness better and you asked Ireland, like everyone says, it's like it's ship everywhere. That's what he said.
Speaker 3: Didn't hear that? My goodness, Rory, He's he's up man.
Speaker 2: Oh man, what do you think you think they're doing? Like vodka red Bull? I'm just I'm trying think of something just completely preposterous. I'm kidding this right now.
Speaker 3: I feel like I feel like Rory McElroy, of all human beings, has probably never had a vodka red Bull. It doesn't really seem like it's up his eyes. Seems a little cunny.
Speaker 2: We were in we were in college about the same time, about the same age. Like, I mean, that stuff was just coming out of every tap hole in the wall everything. I mean, the vodka red bull fat there in the early two thousands is probably not good for everybody's health.
Speaker 3: I'll go, we have we'd have like eight of them, dude, you have like, yeah, was insane? So much red bulls good? I mean, think about having anything about having any red bulls. And then you're like, you know what would make it better for your body? A little pop off vodka in there on the plastic bottle.
Speaker 2: Of course, it masks the vodka like you could put like a ninety percent of vodka in there and you just put a d like it was not a good time. No, you know, no, I'll go, I like, the white wine is a good one. I'll go. Vodka soda so sort I don't know, vodka soda maybe starting to go down the cocktail round, some sort of lighter cocktail, not a dark liquor type thing. I'll go with the hard liquor. They just won the Ryder Cup, I believe, where the circumstances around it, and it seemed like they weren't drinking necessarily to ease their way into the day. They were drinking to celebrate and take a full swing at it. So I'll just say they went with something hard liquor, vodka, vodka, soda, vodka, drink. What do you what do you think?
Speaker 3: I think? I think I'm gonna I'm still sticking with white wine just because I mean, I think Rory's a big wine guy, and I could see like that one the first I could see a lunch bottle being ordered as like a casual order, and then that that inevitably being like six bottles on the table. So I'm gonna lean white wine. But you know, like these are those moments, Brendan, where like Rory gives you and I mean like obviously Rory and Claire have like a freemly relationship, like you can see that they like get along well, right, but like these are those moments where Rory gives us just a little bit of realty to who he is, and it's like, yeah, it's what we're kind of looking for from athletes, Like you don't have to like reveal everything, but just little things like this every now and again kind of remind us that the mere billionaire, great athlete, you know, Hall of fame golfer, is also like a thirty year old dude, you know what I mean. I just think it's it's nice to see these types of things sprinkled in every now and again.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, I think more of the pros have gotten a little bit better at this, to be honest with you, I think Greek a lot of them I have gotten better at this the last few years. Last bit of news, Tim Nicholson is retiring, so Phil will have a new caddy on the bag. I think it's John Yarborough is going over and Sarak Kilp Sarada is also taking I believe Oxha's caddy to live. The guaranteed money apparently was substantial, So so Phil will have a new caddy on the bag. I don't have a lot of it's just news. I'll say, been a tumultuous run for Phil there last few years. Not as much now a little smoother, but you know, in the light of the ship Nott quotes and everything, I think Phil probably greatly benefited from having like a super lockdown camp. Andrew Getson was like completely in his corner. Obviously your caddy is your brother, completely in his corner. So he had like a couple like when a lot of sponsors ran, he was completely ostracized more or less there. I think it was probably a great benefit to have his brother sort of as his caddy in that stretch when he came back. So yeah, and obviously one a major with him too, So it felt like it was hadn't been that long, but they said it was like eight years he's been on the back.
Speaker 3: Crazy. I was surprised by that number two. I mean, you know, I mean he was I believe he was. Was he at ASU and then was Rom's agent and then was a caddy. Is that is that kind of the process there.
Speaker 2: I think that's right. Yeah, I think that was the timeline.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And it seems like it seems like he's got little kids and I mean that will live schedule is I mean, if nothing else, it's a ton of travel. I mean in terms of like global travel, and so if you have little kids and you want to be home, like all all respect to Tim for for saying, you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna be home with the with the little ones while I got him.
Speaker 2: So yep, yep, all right, this does it for this Wednesday. Shane. You are a gentleman and a scholar. I really appreciate you jumping in here. You can follow him at Shane Bacon. What do you need? What do you got?
Speaker 3: I just have. I just have two things. One is you do schedule the week. Every week a reminder that next week is corn Ferry back on TV, which is exciting. It'll be a man James Nitty. So that's next week. So get yourself excited for a little kft before you know the master's boom. And then if you don't mind, I just plugging. I have got a project I'm working with you guys on in the podcast space. But in the meantime, I've been doing the Ping Proving Grounds podcast that is a super inside baseball golf podcast that I think listeners here would be a fan of. So if you ever I mean, I hate to even say this sentence, if you're looking for another podcast to listen to because that's become almost a joke. But Marty is a great dude to bounce like just questions about like nerdy golf step off of and I've really enjoyed that. So check that out of you if you haven't already.
Speaker 2: It seems like a real like I think what you want with the podcast is like a unique value proposition, and it feels like that one offers it. It's like getting in the weeds and like with someone who's I don't know, last time he said, he's like really like he can communicate super nerdy things in ways that are moderately understandable or at least interesting to the listener. So that I mean, I think that's like a real value proposition that.
Speaker 3: Pain Yeah, approving anyway, Thanks thanks for that.
Speaker 2: Of course, thank you for your friendship contribution. Jumping in follow him on Twitter at Shane Bacon. We will be back with you on Friday
Speaker 1: To the Boston postal past and start