Speaker 1: Welcome on and all into the Here a Territory podcast. My name is Sean Coleman. Hope wherever you are and wherever you are listening, I hope that you are having a good week so far. Your friends, your family, everybody that she knows doing well. And the Braves, the Braves, the team that we all love, they are doing well after a month plus, you know, pretty disappointing into the first half of the year, raising Narrol five and too two to three or four away from the Padres in a big home series, so you couldn't ask for a much better start. But we're gonna talk to Padres. We're gonna talk Chris Selle in a bit of the bullpen as we mix it Up, engineered by Fastena was of mixing it up. The Braves decided to do that when it came to actually winning a series against the Padres. And one of the best when it comes to breaking down the Braves, my podny has partner Stephen Tolbert. He'll be the first to tell you that, ind of itself, is no small feat being able to win a series from the Padres. But Stephen would also stood out is that the wins, they're nice to get. You'll take them all day long, but they decided to do them in some pretty exciting fashion, even when they didn't need to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's up, buddy. Yeah, I don't know what it is about the Padres the Braves. Just every game is just a it is a dogfight to win, and getting wins at any level against the Padres have just been impossible for the Braves the last few years. So winning three out of four, however they came, is we'll take it, right. I mean, you did it take years off my life? Yes, it did watching this four game series. But you know, three of the Braves, all three of the Braves wins turned out to be one run victories, even though they had leads multiple times. You know, last night's game they had a seven to one lead in the ninth and it became a one run victory. Today they had a six to three lead in the eighth and it became a one run victory. It's just it was a roller coaster. And but we'll take it to w is a w though, you know there's no it's just the standings. Just say, if you want to lost, so you take it anyway you can get it. We're gonna talk about the game. Of course, obviously Chris Sale, big, big day for Chris Sale. But yeah, any win you can get is especially against the Padres. We'll just we'll take it and run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Chris Sale himself, he had pretty good stuff today, especially towards of the outing. He looked good today. He did have that hiccup. I believe it was in the second inning. Yeah, the second inning. Mauricio Dubon, you know, didn't do him any favors were Debon has uncharacteristically been a bit of an adventure out there in the outfield here recently. But s I'll think about three runs. But he really really got back to being himself towards the end of the outing, and most import he gave it. He gave the bullpen a bit of a risk with six innings pitch, something that the brains need as much of as possible when it comes to their starting rotation. So overall, pretty good adding from Chris Sale and the brain is giving him some run support. Was nice to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the second Sale was dominant today. I think at eleven strikeouts and six innings. The only hiccup was the second inning. It was a weird inning, some soft contact obviously the ball to the bond and I think he lost in the clouds. I don't think it was the sun. It was kind of an overcast day. I don't know what happened. Uh maybe he just got a bad jump on it. I don't know. And then you know, there was an O two pitch ton I can't remember who was it hit the two runs single, but it was yeah, yeah, it was an No two pitch like in the dirt, and he just flailed at it and somehow it found grass. And you look up and it's like three nothing. Padres in the second year're like, oh God. And then Sales at like sixty pitches through three innings, and you know, I was thinking, oh my god, if the bullpen has to cover four or five innings of a Chris Sale start, they're in trouble because, like they need Sale to go deep every time at this point, the way the way the rest of the rotation is set up, they need Sale to at least get to six innings every time. And credit to Chris Man. He really, I mean from that moment on, after that second inning, he pretty much dominated the Padres. I mean they didn't have a chance in hell. The if you were watching the game, the broadcast was like predicting how the guy at the plate was gonna strike out, because like every bad ended in a strikeout. He was still in ninety eight, ninety nine, he had the nasty slider. He was just unbelievable today. And to get through six innings. I have no idea who was available out of the pen today, but I guarantee it wasn't a lot of guys. Get through six innings is a massive deal because they were able to go to Dodd Kenley, who we're gonna talk about, and then Glacier's closed it down and thank god the offense kept adding on. But yeah, that was a big start from Sale, just to get through six the way it started, the way it looked early, you know, to dominate the way he did and get you know, six innings on the board for the Braves, which doesn't happen very often anymore unless it's Sale, that was a big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, yes, the Braid has got the win and they were able to get the job done. But you know, the bullpen, you know, even even hy sell Iglesias, you know you had earlier this week, you had I think it was over the weekend. It just Dylan lead had that you know, hiccup as well. The bullpen seems to be I'm not Tyler Kinley obviously has regressed quite a bit, but everybody just seems shaky right now. There's not that same I know, the Braves are fifty one and one, I think is the record when they're leading after eighty inch, which is great. You want that type of record, you know when it comes to you being a contender. But the bullpen is a bit shaky right now. It could be that they're being used quite a bit, but they just don't seem to have to say it had the same level of reliability that they did even when we were struggling in the first half for much of June.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you just go Guy by Guy Madaris, you know our guy from last week. It's funny we talked about on the show how he's a reliever and all this could go away, you know, next time he's out, And then the next time he went out, he he blew up based. I mean, he came in the game with a seven to one lead and and Iglesias had to finish the game up. That's how poorly he pitched. Tyler Kinley is is on the struggle bus right now. He is hanging sliders at a terrifying rate, and every time he hangs one, it seems like it's a two run homer. Like Scott said this on Twitter today, Like the way Kiley's pitching, he's much closer to being DFA than he is being a high leverage reliever in the Braves bullpen. You know, I don't know if they'll get to that point, but like he he's not looked good, and you know, I'm very cess see how they hand it. Maybe they you know, give him a kind of a phantom. I l trip to see if he can get some rest. Kinley was used a ton in the first half. You know, we'll see if that has anything to do with it. Yeah, Glecias has been a little shaky, Like the ninth inning today wasn't clean. The ninth inning last night, I think he gave up the two run homer. Like, yeah, it's it's it's definitely been a little more rocky than we're used to seeing. Some of that is just natural regression. The Brais bullpen was so unbelievably good the first three months of the season that some of this was probably gonna come at some point. You know, they don't have Suarez Fuentes. You know, has looked good, but he's he's been pitching with the fastball in the zone a lot, and he got burned with it the other night, giving up the home run to tie the game to Jackson Merrill. So yeah, just as a whole, everybody's probably a couple of ticks off. Some of it is usage, some of it as the starters are having a real hard time getting more than five innings in a game, sometimes not even that. It would be a lovely time for Alex to maybe go at a starter here pretty soon, to maybe try to get a few more innings out of the rotation and give the bull and some rest. I am a little worried about the that's why Sale getting to six innings with such a big deal today, I'm a little I am a little worried about the trend lately of how many starts the Braves starters are only going four or five innings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's typically there is a pretty consistent correlation with the teams that not only make the playoffs but also you know, surviving the playoffs. You know what, it simply comes down to is they typically have the best starters on their team, but also they had the less use, the least use bullpens and those bull and then that helps their believers stay fresh, those higher leverage relievers especially stay fresh for October. I agree with you, you definitely don't want to overuse, and the Braves tried so hard to do that in the first part of the season, but now they just don't have the same length out of their starters. You need to make sure that bullpen's not overused for when it matters most, during the home stretch, a tough month of September, as well as the playoffs. But what this also means is that there's even more pressure on the offense to remain elite, and that's what it's done so far in July, and reinforcements are coming. More on that in just a moment after a word from our partners, including the wonderful people at fasten.
Speaker 2: All, Fastenal Industrial Supplies Innovative Solutions, want to learn more? Is it fascinall dot com?
Speaker 3: Hey for the families out there looking for a different path to help your child succeed at home, looking to K twelve powed schools K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in K through twelve on a setting that works for your family.
Speaker 4: Todd Father, you've done the homeschooling thing in the past.
Speaker 1: I know you liked it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did. I liked it a lot. All my kids have done it before. It's an opportunity for them to stay at home and enjoy school just as much. They learn a lot, and this is an opportunity for families that are on the go too as well. They have to understand, listen, can't be at a regular school at all times. I need my child to be doing this, whether it's an athletic career, whatever stature they are at. And we loved every second of it, and I think it is an easy opportunity for some children.
Speaker 4: See how K twelve parate schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enrolled today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash f o u l K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 1: So Stephen, there were There was a bit of buzz earlier this week about the Gwinnette Stripper's lineup. Just how much talent overall major League production it had in its lineup. You had Ronald o'cunya Junior, Hasan Kim, Carlos Santana, Andrew McCutcheon. It was pretty fun to see. But that was a reminder of the fact that the Braves have some obvious reinforcements that are going to be coming, you know, in the near future. And then so maybe not so obvious ones. But the news of the day is that Walt Weiss commented on the fact ronald'cone junr. Has continued to look impressive in Gwinette. He would be he's likely going to be back at some point this weekend. Don't know if it's going to be tomorrow, but probably we'll be back at some point this weekend. And then the name we didn't even mention who's going to be starting to reab assignment is going to be Sean Murphy. Now it's probably gonna be willing to August before he's back, but Ronald acuney Junior hasan Kim Sean Murphy. Let's kind of go down that list real quickly. With Ronald 'cuonney Junior, you obviously know that he's going to step right back into the lineup. But I want to get your quick take. Where does he hit in the lineup? Is it a foregone conclusion that he should stay at the top of the order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's something I've been thinking about. Actually, a conversation with somebody on Twitter about this yesterday or the day before. I can't remember. About the way the Braids are set up right now. They're three best hitters are Baldwin, Lacunya, Olsen obviously two lefties and one righty. Baldwin has been leading off a lot. Baldwin is actually a tremendous lead off hitter because he walks a lot. He's got like a three seventy or three to eighty on base percentage. Actually a very good lead off hitter. And if it wouldn't be more, if it wouldn't be a better set up to let Baldwin lead off and have a Kunya bat second, what's kind of the conversation we were having And I listen and Brad said this on their show last night, and I agree, it's probably not the biggest deal either way. Lineup construction is probably a little overrated. Not probably, it's definitely overrated in terms of a conversation topic. But you know, because the Braves kind of three best hitters this year have been Baldwin Olsen and Michael Harris, who are all three left handed hitters. Yeah, does it make sense to have your best right handed hitter lead off when you could maybe split some of those guys up. So that was the conversation, and I've all, you know, some of it is gonna be like, are they gonna let Ronnie run? Are they gonna put a you know, a halt to that kind of stuff? If they really don't want him run in much, then that would almost make me want to put him second even more. I mean, I could be talked probably either way. But what I have been thinking because the Braves, you know, best three hitters basically this year besides Acunya, have been left handed and we're still waiting on Riley and some of the right handed guys just haven't had the same type of years, you know. Obviously we thought Sean Murphy and Hassan Kim would help help out with a bunch on that side. Ozzie's having an okay year. It's kind of up and down these days. He did Homer again today. But yeah, I have been wondering if batting Acunya second might make more sense just to split up the Baldwin, Olsen Harris trio a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd put out there that I would. I thought that about Mattie, not Albi's fourth, you know, just also split up. You know, if you batted Acuna first, could you for bat all He's fourth. I'm the more I think about it, I'm in agreement with you. I think that the top four of your lineup have to be Baldwin, Acunya, Olson, and Harris. It probably makes the most sense to go with it in that order. But the big thing for me is just having those four up there, and I think that if you do, that's more important than kind of the order that they're in. So probably not that big video. I don't think that you're losing that much at all if you bat bald would know, Olson and Harris back to back to bat because all three have been really productive against left handers as well this year. But I get in the you know, general scheme of things, is probably best not to bat all three in a row. But it will certainly be interesting to see.
Speaker 2: Now I'll say this, if they add one more right handed bat that would help. I agreed, like they they are getting kind of left handed right now, and you know, in some ways they can add any sort of bat and it would help. But I like a right handed bat that can sit in the middle of the older somewhere, not be like your main guy, but can bat like fifth or something like that. Obviously, we were hoping that would be Austin Riley. We thought maybe it was happening, and then he's had a couple of rough days in a row. We'll see what happens. But yeah, I would I would at least have a conversation about batting Acuna second when he gets back, which is probably gonna happen either tomorrow or or Saturday.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 1: Sure, So I know that many he may not think that this is worthy of a conversation, but I certainly think that it is. Hassan Kim has looked pretty good in his bats down at Gwinnette, and I know that he was a lost cause when he was up here. Jim Jarvis, I know that, you know, many have looked at him kind of as a revelation at the shortstop position. He's done well. I think his defense has been better than advertised, and he's swung a pretty good bat. But I also do not feel as if I am being far fetched and saying that the best version of the Brave shortstop position would be Hasng Kim regaining his form offensively and then having Jarvis be the guy who comes in and replaces him defensively, you know, in lad in games. So I don't think that it's just an automatic you let Jim Jarvis continue to start and just put Hassan Kim on the bench. When he's back in a week or so, you probably let him, you know, play out his reb assignment as long as he can. But if Hassan Kim is hitting, I give him a shot again to claim that shortstop position and then from there he used Jarvis's defense to to to secure wins at the end of game. But if the Braves also just want to keep letting Jarvis go, I don't blame him but there but I do think that if you feel Hassam Kim has kind of figured out his hitting form, you want that in your lineup even more than what Jim Jarvis is providing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because obviously Acuny is coming back, and all the reports have been that he's not gonna DH He's gonna play right field, which means Dubon is now moving back to the infield because the Bond's been playing at corner outfits about this whole time with a Kunya been out. So now you have this interesting conversation at shortstop because Dubon is probably the best defender of the three. I don't think probably, I think it's clearly the best defender of the three. Jarvis has been better than I thought he would be. But Dubon ranks as like one of the best defensive short stops in baseball. And I think easily Kim is the worst defender of the three. So what do you do. Jarvis has been hot obviously since he came up. You know, I'll say this about Jarvis and like a guy like Brewer Ricklin who obviously have been red hot since they came up. Those guys, you know, it's a it's a little bit like Matteo and Dom Smith early, like you just have to keep in perspective that it's a lot of it is probably a little bit of noise that's not real true signal. Like I don't think, I don't think Jim Jarvis is actually this good. I mean, he's running like a three eighty babbit right now. His expected numbers are way lower than his actual numbers. I would just caution I see a lot of people like, oh, we found our short stuff of the future. I would just you know, remember Jorge Matteo, remember the lessons we learned with Hoye Mitteo and Dom Smith.
Speaker 1: Like you see.
Speaker 2: Baseball as unique in that it you can have, like you know, a month, six weeks of stuff like this where just kind of randomly pops up. And I think Jarvis can be a really good player. But like if starting tomorrow, when Akunya comes back, if they decide they want to bond at shortstop, I'm fine with that. Like, I think he's the better defender. I think he I actually trust the Bond's offense a little more than Jarvis. Like, if we're looking at true talent level. Now, obviously Jarvis has been red hot, And if wat wants to stay with Jarvis until he's not red hot, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with riding a hot hand. It doesn't have to be real long term for it to still help you. But like, if we get the lineup tomorrow and Acuna is in the right field and the Bond's at shortstop. I'm not gonna be like, I can't believe what Walt's doing. Like, Debon had a pretty good series against the Padres too, actually so, and I agree, he's been kind of weirdly bad and left field lately. I don't know what's going on with the Bond. He's probably just ready to be back on the infield. But he's an unbelievably good defensive shortstop, so I am. And then you have Kim and all of this. I don't know what they're gonna I mean, you could tell me they're gonna dfa him, you could tell me they're gonna play him and anything in between, and I would believe it because I think it's all possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now to your point, Dbon also certainly factors into this, and I think at the end of the day, the most trustworthy combination of defense as well as the offense that he's shown. You want to go out and get another bat that can you know, play outfield, also can DH in some days, and I think has good power potential. That's the type of profile that you want and that puts to Bond as your shortstop. So that's one thing that that's makes a point that I think that we're trying to get. It's great that Jim Jarvis has provided the production that he has, you know, over the past few weeks. But I think in terms of the home stretch and in terms of when games matter most in the playoffs, the most trustworthy option remains Dubond at shortstop and hopefully some type of overall upgrade that can play the outfield d H and so on and so forth. You know, in a former right handed bat. That's kind of what you're hoping is the best case scenario for the Braves. And then of course Sean Murphy is starting to rehab assignment and you know some may have you know, kind of written Sean Murphy off, like you know what others have Hassan Kim with Kim, I know, don't blame him. He's definitely, you know, not perform well Murphy. It's been a while, so team has been reliable offensively, but Murphy still has a place on this team. And even when again it's gonna matter most, you know, down the home stretch and you know, into the playoffs, and it's kind of a unique reason or or not spoken about that much reason that. I believe you. You brought up earlier today when it came to Drake Baldwin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know that Drake has had the best year defensively, I know it's called stealing. Numbers are way down. You know, his framing is about average. You know, how he calls a game is something the public doesn't really know. That's really internal, Like you'd have to ask the pictures. All the pitchers seem to like throw into him. But I am curious, like in the postseason if they would rather have Murphy catching and Baldwin dhing. Maybe I'm not saying Baldwin's a bad defensive catcher, but I just I don't think he's had like an elite defensive catcher year. And so, you know, Murphy coming back is gonna be very interesting. First of all, Murphy's gonna stay healthy. He does stay healthy, None of those matters because he hasn't stayed healthy and a long time. And then can he hit at all? Especially against left handed pitching. We talked about how left handed the lineup has been. They need some of their righty's to like like contribute at some point, like Murphy and Kim were supposed to be two of the guys that were supposed to help against left handed pitching the most. It was supposed to be like a Kunya Riley, Murphy, Kim Ozzy. You know, those were the guys who were supposed to balance out the lineup. And you know, Ozzie's had a solid year and then everybody else has either been hurt or not that great. Uh de Bond's been solid, of course, but yeah, we need Murphy to hit, and we need Murphy to really hold his own against lefties. I'm very curious to how this rehab assignment goes. You know, with catching, obviously there's a whole physical element to getting down and catching nine innings, and like it's not just the bat like it is with a lot of position players. Like how you actually call a game and catch a game for nine innings matters, and these rehabs, so it could be a longer thing. I don't know, We'll see. Yeah, Murphy is an interesting guy, and obviously the Braves all a lot of money, you know, even past this year, so that is a big one. It's it's gone under the radar a bit and people haven't thought about it a lot, but it would be very, very very helpful for Sean Murphy to get healthy and play to at least somewhere towards the level of what we saw in twenty twenty three and really what he did in his career in Oakland before, you know, and since all of these injuries have happened the last few years, it would be nice to get that guy back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if going into the the you know, again, the Braves have a tough schedule. I know, I keep saying it, but they have a tough schedule to end the year in September and into the playoffs. If they could go in with a somewhat high level of trust in Putty Murphy at catcher, maybe Baldwin at DH and then de Bond at shortstop, with some type of platoon with Yas and a guy that they add at the deadline in the outfield, and you can have that healthy I know, that's about this much more likely. It's not going to be you know, it's not going out that well then you know it would, but if several of those things can work, it'd be great. And so so we know what the expectation right now is. Murphy's not going to be reliable. That's just kind of where we are health or offensive production. But if he could, I think that it would make it even stronger to where then you have Baldwin purely focused on his hitting, which can be at the level of being a pure difference maker in an entire series, for instance, and then also having Murphy behind the plate, you've got the better option to handle the pitching staff, plus also control running games. So Sean Murphy coming back healthy and being productive, that could be a very big positive for the Braves, Bigger than some you know might think at this point in time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not only the brais of a tell schedule in September, I think they play the most games of anybody, Yeah, post All Star Break, because I think they played the fewest amount of games of anybody pre All Star Break. Some of it off days, some of it because they had I think three rain outs that all got pushed to the second half. So the Braids play a lot of game they don't have a lot of off days. This matters a lot for the pitching staff. Of course, they had a lot of off days in like June July. They don't really have that luxury in August September, so it is going to be you know, on on top of having a tough schedule just opponent wise, it's just a lot of games. They're playing, I think more games than anybody. So you know, getting the roster where it needs to be by the time you get to that trade deadline is a big deal right now.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And and you see how much Baldwin's offense correlates with the Braves playing in baseball, so you certainly don't want going through the dog games.
Speaker 2: And he needs like he needs rest too, Like he's played damn near every day he's been out. I mean, I know he got hurt, but like especially in August when it's one hundred and five degrees outside, Like, you also want bald want to be able to take some days off, and right now, like they just can't afford to give bald On a day off. Even if he's not catching, he's in, he's in the lineup. So yeah, Murphy coming back is a big.
Speaker 1: Deal, absolutely, And hopefully he'll make the most of his rehab assignment and be back and maybe start to show what we know he's capable of. But the Brave schedule gets been interesting as we head into the trade deadline. More than that, just a moment after a word from our partners.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel. Baseball Fans. Think you know who's hitting a homer today, Well, FanDuel is giving you a free chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. You've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain, and don't forget you can make a free pick every day all season long. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home for home runs. So are you ready to play your game today? Join all the action at FanDuel dot com slash podcast. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast to play Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball twenty one plus select states for ANSAs and affiliation with Kansas Star Casino eighteen plus DC Kentucky, Wyoming. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued is non withdrawable. Profit boost tokens restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wagerroomounts. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler Call one eight hundred, my reset one eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven. Visit CCPG dot org, slash chat Connecticut, visit MD gamblinghelp dot org. Maryland visit gambling Helpline MA dot Org. Call eight hundred three two seven five zero five zero Massachusetts call one eight seven seven eight hope and why text hope and why New York Call one eight seven seven seven seven zero seven eight six seven Louisiana.
Speaker 1: So another thing that you kind of talk about that you know it is kind of starting to fall in place for the Braves is the fact that they're scheduled to start the second of the second half of the year. It has been pretty manageable so far, and he gets even more manageable on this upcoming road trip. Three in Baltimore, and I believe they have had with three or four in New York. I want to say that it's three in Baltimore. Yeah, three in Baltimore, three in New York. And then of course they'll welcome the Nationals after that. So the Braves schedule upcoming is right there. It's kind of a red carpet for them to be able to continue to put wins together, and they're starting to distance themselves once again in the standings. It's good to see them taking advantage of this more manageable part of the schedule.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the Phillies, you know, I think the Phillies started with the Mets right after the break and lost that series, and then they have a homestand with the Dodgers and Yankees, I think, and the Phillies have not played well. You know, that helps, Like, like the Phillies seem like they never lost the game for about a month and a half when the Braves were playing probably the worst ball of the year, and so, you know, and then the Marlins have just fallen completely of They've lost nine in a row. I wouldn't be surprised if Miami sold at this point. But yeah, the Phillies have slowed down. Braves have pretty manageable part of the schedule right now. It does get tougher as we get into late August September. Phillies also have a pretty tough schedule. They do the same thing. They have this tough Dodgers Yankee stretch and then it softens up quite a bit and then they end pretty difficult as well. They still have another West coast trip. They still have to go to Seattle and to Arizona, and obviously the Braves are done with all their West Coast strips. So yeah, the schedule, you know, it matters. Who you play matters. It's certainly, you know, better to play worse teams. You still gotta beat them. But I'm much rather be playing the you know, I'm much rather play the Kansas City Royals and the Los Angeles Dodgers. So the schedule matters. Both Phillies and Braves have a tougher second half schedule, but the Braves are in a manageable part and so it's good to see their five and two in the first seven out of the break. Go to Baltimore and you know, continue good work. And Baltimore is not bad. I don't want to like. Baltimore is a fringe playoff team in the American League. They've got talent, but that's still a series. I think talent for talent, the Breds are better than the Orioles, So you know, I would say that's advantage Braves not I haven't seen the Orioles pitching matchups yet. I don't know who they're throwing, but I think the brains are more talented.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's starting to show again in the standings the Braves. As of the time of this recording, which is Thursday afternoon, they're at four and a half games on the Phillies, which is, you know, definitely not what they were, you know, two months ago, but it's a bit more of a distance than they had at the beginning of July. So that's that's good to see. And again you you want to start looking at those standings, not necessarily just in the NL East, but I mean, Stephen were joking before the show, you're kind of looking at them kind of like as a golf leader board. You're trying to see, you know, instead of who makes the cut, you're trying to see which teams you know, get to a certain level of you know, either you know their playoff odds or you know they're a certain number behind in the wild card spot. Because the more teams that get into that grouping, the more sellers you have. Maybe that starts to bring the price down on some of these potential trade candidates. And Steve and I know you've been watching pretty closely, so some of these teams are starting to see their playoff odds continue to dwindle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you and I talked about it, like in the American League, how the Red Sox went nuclear and that helped all of the teams behind the Red Sox. You know, maybe it's more dire for them, Maybe they're more interested in selling. A team like the Blue Jays, who look like they could be contenders most of the year, and their playoff odds right now are at seven percent, so it really feels like the Blue Jays are going to sell. The Braves could do themselves a favor by going to Baltimore and beating Orioles for two out of three, or maybe even sweeping them, because their playoff odds right now are twenty four percent. If the Braves went and won that series, it'd be below twenty That's a potential seller with some pieces, especially maybe a couple of bats that the Braves might be interested in. You know, the Twins are down to twenty two percent. Obviously, the Royals have been bad all year. An interesting one to me is that the Marlins are all the way down to a twelve percent make playoff. You know, they were right there with the Phillies for a while, but this nine game losing streak has just been brutal for them. Even the Nats, who are still above five hundred, they're a game above five hundred. Fifty two and fifty one Fangres only gives them a seven percent chance to make the playoffs. I'm guessing that's a team even if they don't sell. I don't see them like aggressively buying. The Inel Central has been just a madhouse all year. Obviously, the Brewers are gonna win the division, but like the next three teams, the Cubs, the Pirates, and the Cardinals have all been right there in the wild Card. The Cardinals are starting to fall off a bit. They're at twenty five percent playoff odds. The Reds are very The Reds also have the toughest schedule in baseball. On the second half, the Reds playoffs ods are at less than one percent. And then the big one is the Padres. The Giants, and the Rockies in the West have all dropped. I mean, the Giants and the Rockies have been down forever, but the Padres are now after the Braves took three or four, the Padres are all the way down to seven percent in terms of their odds to make the post season. So, you know, we're starting to see the clear or clearer kind of demarcation of buyers and sellers. It looks like it's going to be a decent split. You know, we're still we still have enough time to the trade deadline that a team could go on like a five game winning streak and maybe flip you know, if the Cardinals went on a five game winning streak, or if the even like the Padres, the like if the Orioles sweep the Braves this weekend, that could flip them. So there's still a few teams that it's right on the edge. But we are starting to see a little bit of a clear divide between buyers and maybe not sellers, but at least teams that are not going to be buying themselves, which takes obviously some competition out of the market. So the market is getting clearer by the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're starting to see more indications of teams that are looking to sell, you know, and I think there were a few reports out there that the Angels, for instance, they're looking part ways with some controllable guys, and I know, you know, the Reds previously had said that they were the one thing that I want to put out there though, is that, you know, I know that when it came to like a Tark Schoogl or a Sunny Gray, you know, when we were talking about those guys potentially being out there, those were clear candidates for the Braves to go get because those guys were and are having excellent seasons. A lot of the options out there that seem reasonable to talk about as trade candidates right now, they're not having the best of seasons. And that's kind of how it's going to be. It's going to be hard to find just a clear cut guy who this guy is having an outstanding season, you obviously want to go have him. There are very few guys of those out there. The trade candidates that you are choosing from right now come from teams that sink, and a lot of that. In a lot of cases, it's because the guys that you want have not been the best, so especially when it comes to starting pitchers. That's why you know, for instance, I put such a high, you know, value in Jose Soriano is because the stuff in many of his pitches ranks pretty high in the terms of quality. The Braves could probably do better with that than the Angels are doing. Or maybe a Freddy Peralta who Yes, he has struggled so far this year, but you have to think there's something in this track record the Braves might be able to tweak to get better performance out of him. So even though the amount of names may continue to go up as sellers start to more emerge, the one thing that I will say is that, yes, you don't want to go out and get a guy who's just been awful, but more than likely the guy that the Braves are looking to acquire or will acquire. They probably haven't had the best of seasons, but you have to think coming into the situation that the Braves offer will hopefully lead to better production from that player.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give you the four teams that I'm watching to see because if they they could kind of go either way. The four teams and they're all right in a row in the standings are the Twins or two and a half games back. Because the Twins have some very interesting pieces, Joe Ryan being the main one. The Tigers are four and a half games back of the third wild card, but you know, there's a ton of teams ahead of them, four and a half might be enough. And there was a report yesterday I think Brad Scott talked about it about how the Tigers may sell Scooble but then buy everywhere else and still try to compete, which is actually a pretty fascinating conversation. So the Twins, the Tigers, the Orioles who were playing this weekend. The Oriols have some hitters that I would take in a heartbeat. But the Oriols also, you know, they're eight and two in their last ten games and they just broke up the Red Sox big winning streak, so like, if the Oriols stay hot, they're probably gonna buy. And then the last one is Houston the Astros, because the Astros have some mention like if the Ashros were to say, you know, lose the next three or four games, and like Jeremy Pania is available, I guarantee you Alex is making a phone call. And the Astros have some interesting guys. So those four teams Twins, Tigers, Orioles, Astros are the teams I'm really really concentrating on. They could really flip, like make it where it's almost like a buyer's market where there's a lot of sellers, or if they went the other way, they can make it a seller's market where there's a lot of buyers. So it's that's those are the four that are most interesting to me at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be fascinating. And you know, when these gms and when Alex is talking and saying, you know, hey, there's still it's still pretty foggy who exactly is available. You know, we it may be August before a lot of these gms know who's supposed to available. That's why you're more than likely going to see it being more of a frenzy over the over the last few days before the deadline instead of you know, it just being you know, blockbuster after blockbuster for a full week and as long as the Braise are winning, that's fine. That's that's the main thing that that they need to focus on. Anything else from you, Steven, as we wrap up this edition of the Hamber Territory Podcast.
Speaker 2: Nope, just I'm excited to see a coon you back this weekend. Yeah, at some point. I'm curious see how they do the lineup. Really would love the rotation to to pitch a few more innings here to help the bullpen. Obviously, the trade stuff is going to be everywhere. We're tracking it like hawks. Anything breaks at any point we will be on here instantly to talk about it, of course. But yeah, it should be a fun series up in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Camden Yards is always a fun place to see the Braves play a very very fun part. Wouldn't visit it one day for sure, until next time. For Steven Tolbert, you can find him at the Underscore outliers on Twitter, slash x, myself, Sean Comin at stats SEC. Hammer Territory across all forms of social media are the Foul Territory family of podcast. So next time b Braves will talk to you again soon here on Hammer Territory Podcast