Speaker 1: On today's episode of Tickets to the Draft Podcast, we are recapping Day two of the NFL Draft. Come on down, Trey Amos. We're excited about what you bring to this team. It all starts right now.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Ticket to Draft Podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Logan Paulson here with Justin Guy Jason as always represented by Seakeeek. This summer, seekek has your ticket to the best live concert in the DMV at Northwest Stadium. Seek the Officier Priority Ticket Partner of Northwest Stadium. I always want to say Washington Commanders, but it's Northwest Stadium. We're extoked about that, and we are stoked because our second round picker, the Washington Commander second round pick is in and it's Trey Amos. And I honestly couldn't have been happier at the moment. Like it was funny. I was kind of going through my board. You and I were talking. It was like, hey man, here are all the edges that are gone, and all the guys that we were really really excited about weren't there. And it's like, well, there's this player, there's this player. And then you get to the cornerback Calum and it's like Trey Mos is right there and in terms of that tier, in terms of that play ranking, in terms of the skill so that he brings. I just felt like it was kind of right on the money and write what they needed in terms of best player available for Washington.
Speaker 3: What another great day for Adam Peters, I think, right, And it's the same it's we're gonna get tired of talking like this where it's like he stuck to his board. This was the guy that was their no need to move up, no need to move down. The draft was coming right to you right the way you wanted. You felt comfortable where you were. Yeah, and Trey Amos a cornerback from Ole Miss, I mean, he fits in need right. But it's also it didn't feel like we need to draft a cornerback here. It felt like, okay, this is a player like what we're saying, like if we were looking at cornerback, they were like, I think you had three, right, I had probably like three guys and Amos was one of them that was right and there. So it was like, all right, this makes complete sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to remember the exact guys on my board, but it was like Shavon Revel, who I really liked, but Tray most and again just to kind of draw a comparison between those two players, like Sean Revel did a lot of really good things at ECU, right, But when you look at Trey Amos, like his story, I think is something that sticks out to you.
Speaker 2: Like started at what is it, Louisiana La Fayette.
Speaker 1: Or something like that was the first school, transferred to Alabama, then transfers to Ole Miss. Three defenses, three defense, three different defensive coordinators, And I think you watch him last year on tape and I think you got to see a guy who just has a really good feel, you know, a really good feel for the position. Can play man coverage, can play zone. I think he's better in zone coverage situations. But the thing that sticks out to me is his ball skills. I talked about this on the show right after the pick was in. And when you watch how he catches the football, how he tracks the football, how he can play with vision on the quarterback even in like tight man situations and not lose contact with his guy, I really think that's the thing that separates him. And one of the things about Ravel is he was kind of this unmolded ball of clay. And when you look at Amos, he is much more polished, much more established, much more NFL ready, And I think when you talk about a guy that's going to come in and contribute right away, Amos is definitely, I think a little bit higher on the list than a guy like Shavonnahrel. So obviously, sometimes when you're doing draft boards and we're doing draft boards, we're not doing it for a team. We have nothing kind of in mind just doing We're just doing it right. So I do think that this is a really really nice fit for the Washington Commanders because again, like one of the first thing Dan said, this was way back when the offseason started, when they look at defensive backs, like one of the qualities they're looking for is ball skills, and he's got them and couple that with the polish and the other things, and I just think about what it does for the defense and it makes me super excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely. I mean, he's a physical press corner and he's got a little bit of length, Like he's not the longest, but he's got the length there to compete with those fifty to fifty balls that are there and he's he's relatively.
Speaker 1: Smooth, and I think the thing that was super surprising, and I think this is something that we're starting to get a feel for, starting to get a read on with Adam Peters, is they do draft athletes like Connor.
Speaker 2: Lee had a very specific athletic profile.
Speaker 1: And when he came in and talked to us after the pick yesterday after the first round picked after they drafted Josh Connell.
Speaker 2: You can check out that.
Speaker 1: Interview on the YouTube page. He said everyone was alignment, so obviously think the scouts, the coaches, But then the other thing he said was the analytics department, and the analytics department they've kind of I'm sure they're building out models, they kind of say this is what plays at certain positions. And I look at treemos and he tested. I don't have the numbers right in front of me at the moment, but he tested extremely well at the combine, ran way faster than I thought he would run, jumped away better, his three cone was awesome, and the field work was exceptional, just incredibly smooth. I think that's the other thing that jumps about him on tape is the smoothness which he plays and it's exciting to think about him here with Joe Wood Junior, who has developed a lot of really talented corners over the course of his career and developed a lot of corners that have a great ball production. And I think he kind of fits that, I don't say exact mold, but very very similar mold. And so thinking about what that allows you to to do with the defense. You know, we talked about it with Connor Lee yesterday. His ability to kind of now the offense is ability to get the five best offensive lineman on the field.
Speaker 2: Now you can do that with the secondary.
Speaker 1: Maybe Mike Sanders still bumps back inside and think about Trey Amos with if he develops with the right ball skills, think about Marshawn Latimore, think about Mike Sanders still in the slot. Like that is a devastating kind of combination of defensive backs. And I'm really excited to see what that looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, he's six one, one ninety five right, thirty one and one fourth inch arms. He wanted to talk about some of his combine stuff. He did a four four three forty with a one point six ten, but his vertical thirty two point five right, broad jump ten sixty pretty explosive aout.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean the vertical is not great, but that broad jump is excellent. The forty's excellent. And I said, like, you know, you've got to kind of compare them the field work as well, And again it just stuck out to me how smooth he was on the field.
Speaker 2: So you know, I think that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: And here's the thing. So he does have like a knack for the ball, like he can track it very well. But here's what I think makes you look at him and go, Okay, that's a commander because we saw it with Mikey Sanders still from last year's Guess what he doesn't mind doing tackling. He does not mind tackling and mixing it up in the run game and being a decent run support defender, something that is obviously very important to this staff here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that's you know, like he's not a perfect player. I don't want to make it seem like like he is, but you know there's like sometimes where he doesn't look super urgent.
Speaker 2: But I think it's.
Speaker 3: Not great top end speed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he tested way better than people thought, but I think you see a guy who's a willing, a willing and efficient tackler.
Speaker 2: He's not like a thunderous tackler, but a willing and.
Speaker 1: Efficient Tackler's the way I would characterize him the and I think the versatility that he brings, Like one of the things I get so stressed out with the corners is like, let's take Stravunravel as an another example, Like he is a man corner, doesn't have a great feeling zone, right, and then when you look at Tremo's great feeling and man great feeling zone, played in multiple systems, asked to do different things, heard different languages, and so I don't want to say he's scheme agnostic, but it does seem that he has that kind of potential to be a little bit more schime agnostic than some of the corners we've brought it in the past, kind of like Mike Sandrasol, a guy who's just a good football player, right, different type of football player, but a good football player. And I think that's what this player is.
Speaker 3: The Thing about Trey Amos is that one of the things that I wrote down is like my question marks about him in my notes was that he can be overly aggressive because he wants to make a play, and that's not always a bad thing, right, Like that's why I call him question marks not negatives necessarily, is because Fred Smut says this, gosh, I hate Himm this guy. He just gets on me all the time. But one of the things he said that is absolutely accurate is like you're either as a corner. You're either born with ball skills or you're not. It's really hard to suddenly become a ball skill guy, especially once you hit the top level. Right, if you're not a guy that's making plays on the ball in college, in high school, probably not going to do it in the NFL. It only gets harder for you. But what you can do is say that's an overly aggressive guy that goes makes plays. We can teach them discipline without losing that skill. Like that skills harder to teach than the discipline. And that's something that I think you're going to get with Trey Amos says, maybe a little more discipline. He's not going to jump routes a little too, a little more, but a good coach will also say, hey, when you really believe it and you see it and we have good communication, jump that route make that play.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought up the coaching thing because I think that's huge. And again, like one of the things that Fred talks about and other defensive backs that I've talked to about, is a great coach will give you the parameters about when they want you taking those shots. And if you can be more selective and more specific about knowing when you're insulated and making those shots or taking those shots and being aggressive, I think that's outstanding. And you know, like when you think about it in the context of the defense, it gets me extremely ecpcause I think in this division, that allows you to create better matchups on the back end, It allows you to help the pass rush. We always had about the PAS rush helping the coverage, which is very true. And again I look at the second the third wave of free agency post draft, there's going to be some good veterans available. There's also three more picks available where you can get a kind of a juice up pass rusher, maybe in at that one twenty nine spot. We'll see how the draft ends up falling. But now we got a secondary that can do some more dynamic stuff that can be a force multiplier by creating turnovers. With this addition of one player, because you've got because it's him, it's Mike Sander still it's Kawon Martin in the back end, there's some really interesting pieces now that have to gel obviously and have to develop, like that's a big thing. We always have to a caveat there. But it just it now gives the defense some more teeth. It lets them be more aggressive if they want a pressure more Joe wit Junior, which is always exciting.
Speaker 3: You might see something a little bit more like what you saw with the Dan Quinn Joe at defense in Dallas, right where they were ballhawks, and that's what they want to be here. They talk about it all the time. Ball is life. That means we're going to protect the ball on offense, We're going to go get the ball on defense. And while the team got better over the season on the defensive side of taking the way the ball, they still are looking to improve in that area. And so you're getting a guy in here that allows you to, like you said, you gotta gel, right, But it's the coaching like this feels like it fits perfectly within what Deeq and Joe Junior want to do. Defensively versus some of the other corners that was still on the board at the time.
Speaker 1: No, I think that's one hundred percent right. And I think and I think that's the other thing. It gives me a lot of confidence. It gives me confidence with the Connerly thing, like just what they they were able to do with the offensive line, Lasher and how they're able to develop some elements of that group that I didn't think we're going to develop very well. And I look at the defense and what they were able to do again with guys like Kwan, with guys like Noig Bnoghany, and finding ways to make them better football players, and bringing Treyemos, a guy that we just talked about his athletic upside, his physical upside, his diverse skill set already, and thinking this is a perfect environment for him to develop and become a commander and kind of fit in with this like defensive culture that they're building and kind of you've got great mentors like Bobby Wagner's always want we got to talk about. But that's kind of a all of a sudden because of this one edition. It's so fun because the group is just down more talented and and can do a little bit more damage, which is pretty fun.
Speaker 3: So all right, so no picking the third round on Saturday. We're going to have the rest of the draft. We have a fourth, fifth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have a fourth and a sixth and a seventh.
Speaker 3: That's right, fourth, six and seven, so we had three more picks to go. What are you obviously this is a tough question. I know this is a tough question because at this point in any draft you really don't know how the board's going to fall. But what are you expecting to see from Washington? I'm not necessarily saying give me a player, but are you expecting them to stay the same that we've already seen this year and let the board fall to them and just go with the best player available quote unquote, or do you think at some point they're going to be like, all right, let's really target and edge rusher, let's really target a running back something like that.
Speaker 1: Well, I think as you move down the board, best player available becomes more subjective. Every year I've done my big board, I kind of am trying to pick the top one hundred guys that I think are going to get drafted. It doesn't necessarily mean the orders. Sometimes off the order is subjective to team, you know, and I think that's important to keep in mind. But what I do think is going to happen is that they're going to prioritize a couple guys late. I think when you look at what they did last year, I think is a good case study. Right, you got John Baptiste late, a guy that has traits right, he's got thirty three and.
Speaker 2: Strong s six fives.
Speaker 1: He's got the ability to project to something more. And we talked a little bit about David Walker in today's show, like that's a guy or Osiah Stewart from Michigan, these kind of maybe tweener pass rush types. Ada Huntington from I think it's too lane, right, a guy that has got these kind of trait cy pass rush ability. Again, those guys will be around, and so you say, hey, of our board, who's the best player available who can impact our roster the most? And don't think it is like they have to have long arms, they have to have a ten ris. I think that's something that they're looking for, no doubt. I think that's something when you look at last year's kind of picks. After the fourth round, they're all kind of these long traitsy athletic guys that can project the starting roles at some point. But I think that's kind of the way I look at it, Like the board for the Commanders is going to be different than every other team in the NFL. Right, Dan Quinn made this joke today. It's not the it's not the the Denny's menu, it's not the Cheesecake Factory menu. It's not the same for every team in the NFL. It's a little bit different. Yeah, it's a different restaurant here. And so I do think there are going to be good players potentially there in the fourth round that can add past rosh juice. I think there's dynamic running backs there and the fourth round that could add explosive elopments to the offense. I think there's offensive playmakers that could be interesting there, like Dante Thorton, you know from Tennessee, just as an example a long trade cy, high upside kind of play. And I think you'll see more swings like that. Like the one of the things I appreciate about Adam Peters is in the first two rounds of last year's draft and this he's kind of taking. I don't say safe picks, but just very high floor picks. And then obviously the character stays the same throughout the draft, but it seemed very clear to me that they were like, oh, this dude is a like Dominie Campton's a great example. Yeah, he's a big safety, he's got thirty three inch arms, he ran a sub five point forty, Like, let's get that.
Speaker 2: Get that guy in the building. Tyler Owens is a great example.
Speaker 1: His ris was off the charts, right, and he brought them as him as a free agent. But that's what I think you're kind of gearing towards is those guys that again high upside role players in this team. And the great thing about this draft is I do think with one twenty eight there's gonna be some good football players still there.
Speaker 2: Like we're still in.
Speaker 1: That kind of I don't want to say the sweet spot of the draft, but still kind of the meat of the draft. And I do think that that that with that pick, there's someone you're gonna be able to get. And then then after that it will be interesting to see kind of how they play off each other. Right, what are the traits, what are the qualities, what are the positions? That you're kind of hunting for in the sixth and seventh round.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, Man, this has been a ton of fun. You referenced a show. You were like, hey, check out the show. Dan Quinn was on it. You made something. What we're talking about is we were live when we were right before the draft started, we had a pre pre show and then we add a on the clock show. Those are going to live for ever on YouTube. And one of the things that I love that it's going to live for ever on YouTube about is that when we were in the first round and we were on the clock, when we were at our pick twenty nine, you, mister Logan Paulson said, oh, here's a guy I have as one of my best available. We ended up picking that. Dude. You're just a savant. You're the draft grew. I don't care what Fred says, you calling it. And then when we went on the clock today in the second round, you went, hey, guys, what about tree Amos. I think that that's right there. And so, dude, you're just been locked in. You've been on it. What a great process sitting here watching this with you where you're like, you're you're blowing these guys away like I see it with like I think Beamtchieven like commented on it, like you're sitting here like this guy makes sense for him. This guy makes sense this guy and you're just nailing them as a good down the line. It's a testament to your football and knowledge. I love doing this with you, and well, it's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: We'll say this like this show forces me to study, forces me to prep, and so it's like I get from the Senior Bowl all the way through the draft, all the way through these picks, like we're watching talking through guys and I think this is and it's honestly bro like it's a it's awesome doing the show with you because I respect your football.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: I know you're just a guy, but it's great to have a sounding board to be like, hey, I saw this with so and so and you're like, I don't really see it that way, And that to me helps kind of flush out the evaluation. Makes me better at my job and makes this show so much better.
Speaker 3: I think the reason I have so much fun with this is that I feel like I'm playing with house money when I'm talking to on this I can just say whatever, and you can be like you're not right and like, but I can also give you, like some crazy fan, just a guy take and you're like, you know what, that actually kind of makes sense in a weird way. Like one of my favorite things that I talk about all the time is like, how do I evaluate something, Like I put myself in a position and where if that guy lines up like against my team, Like if the Cowboys draft him, will I be upset because I don't want to see that. Like when the Giants still got dual Carter, I'm like, oh, that was immediately what I did. Well. That means I think a dual carters And like there's something to that, like when other team's grown because you took a guy like that probably means you made a good evaluation. That's so subjective and such a dumb, stupid, low level boiler plate take, but it's a real thing. And like sometimes we can get caught up in the forty times and the verticals and the cones and their measurements and arm lengths that sometimes you just forget that it's anent. There's a motion in the game, isn't there logan, and just some dudes just lines up across from you and you go, oh.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I don't want that. Yeah, that's absolutely right.
Speaker 1: So and I think we're going to do a show, maybe one more show talking about all the.
Speaker 3: Picks, probably on Tuesday, long weekend. For me personally, I think I'm going to try and take as much much rest as i can on Monday, but we'll be on on Tuesday recording the Command Center podcast Command Center all the shows that we do up through the week, and so we'll probably knock out a complete draft recap then and then maybe we'll do one more after we get some udfas in would love that and we go through them because I'm sure there are guys that we looked at that are not going to get drafted, but they're still going to contribute.
Speaker 1: And think about how will Adam Peters and this whole staff, the scouts and you know, the assistant GM Lance Newmark did with the free agent process last year. Three of those dudes made this football team, you know, obviously in special teams roles.
Speaker 2: But that's really exciting and.
Speaker 1: I just again the opportunity to see more of these guys have an opportunity to fulfill their dreams, especially in y where we don't have a lot of draft picks. Is really exciting, but I think that's going to do it for tonight's show, tonight's recap, obviously, we're excited. Really just two excellent picks, two very high floor picks that also have I think, in my opinion, high ceilings. And I think that's been that's hard to do in the draft. And again Adam Peters just knocked out Park and it's a team effort for sure, but they've done a great job with that.
Speaker 2: But that's gonna do it fornight.
Speaker 1: We'll see you in a couple of days and kind of review the rest of the draft.
Speaker 2: Can't wait to that. But for tonight, that is it.
Speaker 1: This summer, Seekeek has your ticket to the best live concerts in the DMV at Northwest Stadium.
Speaker 2: See Geek makes it easy to.
Speaker 1: Catch world conquering tours and high wattage performances from your favorite artists all summer long. Seekeek has the best seat your seat for an unforgettable summer. From rock Royalty to rap superstars R and B to country, find it all on sea Geek, the official primary taking partner of Northwest Stadium Summer concerts.
Speaker 2: Season officially starts with Sea Geek