Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. I am demanding if you are working with me, there's this trust element. I'm gonna be very fair, very transparent. You won't be wondering what Too Fun is thinging about me, because I will tell you, and you won't like everything I tell you, because I want you to improve.
Speaker 2: I'm Francis Laqua and this is leaders, the podcast that explores what drives the world's most influential people. This week, I'm speaking to Too Fun. Ergon Bilgic, the chief executive of Rolls Royce, the aerospace and defense company historically a jewel of British industry. When Ergon Bilgage took over in twenty twenty three, it was on shaky ground. It had underperformed for over a decade and been battered by the COVID pandemic, with shares down almost seventy percent his predecessor's time. Since taking over, Urgan Bilgitch has set in motion a dramatic restructuring defined by thousands of job cuts, contract renegotiations, and widespread culture change for the company. All of that pain has paid off. His tenure was described by McKinsey as a case study in the art of corporate transformation. I wanted to know what gave him the confidence to institute such radical change, how he actually did it, and whether he sees himself as a standard bearer for British industry. Twovan, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: Great to be here now.
Speaker 2: You took over Rolls Royce in January twenty twenty three and quickly you made waves with a speech where you talk about a burning platform that every investment we make we destroy value. Why did you decide to be so tough?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure I was tough. Actually that speech itself actually was one and a half hour speech, but obviously headlines took from the first ten minutes you said January twenty three, I took the job, but actually I planned that speech starting from September twenty two. I commission an external benchmarking, because what do you want to do in that is really put the mirror up for the organization. You cannot say the things you just said without data because it will just len like you are criticizing them effectively with data. I demonstrated where the companies but in the same speech, then you continue and you talk about your vision and where you take the company.
Speaker 2: First of all, was there a decision to give the company and the employees tough.
Speaker 1: Lve neither of them actually interesting because I don't think that way. First of all, they need to understand where the company is. Secondly, they need to understand this is gonna be different, because before that everybody was asking me, oh, Rose was restructured many times, why it is different. First of all, it was never restructuring. It was transformation. But that wasn't the tough law or this. It was about tell how it is. Bring your style. You are going to be very clear, but very straightforward. You won't dance around the subject. You cannot miss what I say.
Speaker 2: So January twenty twenty three, what do you walk into? What company? Do you find?
Speaker 1: Lots of strengths on the one hand, like good people, But on the other hand, all those good people have not been led well. Direction is not clear, strategy doesn't exist, performance management doesn't exist, and the company's balance sheet is in a terrible shape. And yes, I said, we destroy value every investment we make because company's cost of capital was significantly higher than returns of the company.
Speaker 2: You said there were good people a Rolls Royce, but you also laid off a lot of people, thousands of people. So was it difficult to make sure that you weren't letting go the people that you needed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's always that risk, right, but you manage this process really tightly so that that doesn't happen, or if it happens, really on the edges. Why I did it. Frankly, we eliminated players in the organization. So if you actually look what we did, no operational people left. When you are doing these restructurings people obviously you make some because it's about people's lives. But I always worry about if we don't do that, probably fifty thousand people's lives will be affected because company will go to bad places. So there's always that risk, but in this actually we had very little of that. We were able to keep sort of who we want to keep.
Speaker 2: How important was it that that first town hall people got to know you and got your style.
Speaker 1: You need to be very authentic and so that actually when they look at you, they say, okay, I believe it. Because remember you are not only talking about burning platform. You are talking about vision and how we are going to get there. Vision needs to be energizing by talking.
Speaker 2: So openly. Did you ever think I'm going to make the people before me really mad?
Speaker 1: Yes, but remember this was supposed to be internal tunnel, right, so it wasn't press conference, and therefore, yes, there was that risk it may leak, but upside was a lot bigger for me.
Speaker 2: Some shareholders at the time were worried that destabilizing for staff. Yes, did they call you?
Speaker 1: No, But I've been talking to shareholders Frankly, they have been deeply frustrated. One banker, he said, can I actually summarize what they said with one word? I said, go ahead, he said, frustration.
Speaker 2: But it's also a perception because you've been almost criticized right by some people that are close to You're in the press by saying you are tough. Your style is quite harsh. I mean someone even said your nightmare to work with. I mean, does that hurt you?
Speaker 1: I am demanding if you are working with me, there's this trust element. I'm gonna be very fair, very transparent. You won't be wondering what too Funny is thinking about me, because I will tell you, and you won't like everything I tell you because I want you to improve, but I will also tell you what you are doing well, some people love it, excel in it because that pays. An intensity is for a purpose. You choose where you are, where it matters.
Speaker 2: Now that you've seen results at Rose Royce, have you eased off people? I mean you talk about a kind of cadence right, a rhythm to applying pressure.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what eased off means because you almost move to new normals and expectations are different. Performance culture is different. I now watch the team because we always have and currently we are dealing with another one a AH team is behaving very differently, so then you don't need to push. Actually, I had a couple of conversations this morning to say perfect, the way you are thinking is great. So in that sense, it is easying off. But actually company moves to new normal.
Speaker 2: After the break, the Rolls Royce boss, who once warned the company was a burning platform, explains how he pulled off one of Britain's biggest corporate turnarounds, and just a reminder, be sure to follow and subscribe to the show now so you never miss an episode. The Rolls Royce restructure, which Ergin Bilgage likes to call a transformation, brought the company back from the brink and now it's doing quite well because since taking over rolls, Royce's shares have increased by more than ten times. But how did he actually transform the company and how did previous career experiences in form his thinking? At some point, you're basically under running to become chief executive of BP, and you don't get it, so you have to make a decision on whether you stay or you leave. That's correct, that's a very difficult decision.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree.
Speaker 2: So how did you make the decision of leaving? Is it because you wanted to be CEO.
Speaker 1: At that point? Yes, because you are already in CEO because company and the process they invite you into the process. So because they invite you, that means exactly so therefore yes, and given my track records, et cetera, I thought I should get it. But that made leaving question also easier, frankly, because once you don't get it, now you know what you want at that point, and then sort of it was almost natural that I left.
Speaker 2: And you go into private equity? What did you learn in private equity that you apply for restructure or transformation of companies.
Speaker 1: When you go to private aquity, given that investment committee is the business in a way, right, you really understand what good investment committee is and why are.
Speaker 2: They different in nature.
Speaker 1: Or how they are a lot more open, a lot more blunt, not for you to fail, for you to succeed. What they are doing, make sure case is robust, so it's like a stress test exactly. So then frankly, I took that to our investment committee in roys Chroyce and I told the team we are not doing this for anybody to fail, because if I actually see in the pre read an investment proposal that will never fly. I call the person and I say, let's take it out of an investment committee because I don't want them to be embarrassed.
Speaker 2: How did you transform Rose Royce? It was very clear you talk about being blunt, like quickly, can you say what those steps were?
Speaker 1: Frans, and you are using blunt, I'm not sure I'm authentic. I think put the mirror up, but I never had the blood.
Speaker 2: Is not a bad word. I mean maybe we've made it a bad word, right, but blunt means you know what you get instead of dancing around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. I never actually thought about time frame in transformations. But I said to people in the first two three years. We need to make good progress, and normally you do. But I think four pillars were important. So the first pillar is all about people. It is the leadership, vision, engagement. And second pillar is very granular strategy. And everybody knows in the company their role in delivering strategy. If you don't have granular strategy, only ten people know it, and then ten people are surprisingly surprised that that strategy is not delivered. I don't have a role. How am I going to contribute? And then everybody has a role because in big organizations you come and go. Nobody tells you you matter. Somebody tells you you matter in royal sources transformation, and this is your role. If you deliver this, it's very energizing.
Speaker 2: I mean, you also famously said I don't do strategy in a dark room with consultants.
Speaker 1: I personally attended twenty five thirty workshops when we were developing strategy, So every like five hundred plus people joined. When you are done, whole organization is aligned because they were in the room when you were making the decision. I go in those workshops, I say two things. There's no hierarchy in the room, second thing, I say, this is gonna be chaotic. Why chaotic? Because mini strategy conversations don't open up, it closes, it becomes like plan conversations. You need to open it up so that all the out of bully ideas come into the room. Even if you don't do them, they are in the room.
Speaker 2: One of the other things when you were transforming, right, what was key was also renegotiating some of the contracts. How did you do that?
Speaker 1: I needed to negotiate them because the company was bleeding. One thing. I didn't appreciate the cultural impact of that because I went and did that and everybody thought that was absolute impossible thing to do. Then people said I'm gonna do impossible things as well.
Speaker 2: But what do you call the phone and say, look a contract.
Speaker 1: We actually let me. I mean you need more soft The meetings different people, but play out in the scene. So unfortunately that was the time I needed to go into action quickly, so there was no relationship building. Frankly because most of the time this was my first meeting with the person and numbers are so big that CEO to CEO conversation required, right, So normally how it happened first half an hour. They complained new CEO, they complain about all the operational problems we cause. Then I'm thinking, wow, how am I gonna I in this open up that actually we are not happy with commercials. But it gave me your opportunity to say, yeah, I understand all your concerns, but weak roych Roys can only do that. Strong Royce Roys actually can be a lot better partners. And then I linked that to saying, effectively, our contract doesn't work in the first meeting. All you want to achieve for them to agree to bring the teams together to rebalance the contract and find win win solutions. That's all. If you are planning to achieve more than that, you are going to be disappointed.
Speaker 2: When we come back to if an Ergan bill Gate explains why the Rolls Royce turnaround could offer blueprint for other British businesses. British industry has been described as being in constant decline, with factors like rising energy costs posing challenges to making money. Rolls Royce's turnaround has been seen as a positive sign for the wider industry. So is there anything Rolls Royce's peers can learn from its strategy to funny you brought Rolls Royce right, a British heritage brand, back from the brink. I mean, do you feel sometimes like you're carrying the weight of British industry because you've made it a success?
Speaker 1: Yes? Sometimes because I think there's this discussions where their companies should move to the US market. I'm sure fans in US we ask those questions. So actually demonstrating that you can be in this market and frankly, after a point, it is never about you. You don't want to fail all the stakeholders, employees, investors, even government. Once you pass a stage, right, okay, you have a success. Now make sure that is sustainable success and actually you can build on it.
Speaker 2: What can other British companies learn from ros Royce a lot?
Speaker 1: But business model level they are they actually set up to win. If not fix the business mode and you do that, then of course you need to energize your employees. It's not about you, it's about fifty thou people. I am non compromising for that. You may say blunt or whatever, but non compromising mediocrity at that level kills the organizations but also good people. Then you need to develop them and have a great career in this.
Speaker 2: How do you manage good people? What do they want effectively?
Speaker 1: You want people in your organization who are highly marketable, but they want to stay with you, right, right.
Speaker 2: So that's what your secret sauce exactly.
Speaker 1: That's what you want, right. That is almost three sixty performance management in my mind, and three six the performance management. Always if you want to close the circle, it finishes with reward and recognition and then grow the company because that creates all sorts of career opportunities. Shrinking companies, you have less opportunities. Grow the company that actually feeds itself.
Speaker 2: Right. I mean every time I see you, we speak about small nuclear reactors. Yes, because it's because you. It's not a three sixty view. It's a very granule. It's almost problem solving, it's engineering.
Speaker 1: I always go to big picture before I come to small pictures. Europe cannot do without it. What needs it for net zero? Frankly, Europe needs it for supply security full stop, because even before geopolitics, Europe needed that. After some geopolitical events, frankly, Europe needs it more than so. Therefore, SMRs makes sense at big picture because they are less risky because smaller plants and manufacturing activity. Nuclear industry has a bad sort of experience with projects. They take longer, much more expensive SOMR eighty five percent manufacturing process learn, you learn, and it is modular, it is standard rather than every nuclear project, bespoke EPC project.
Speaker 2: In a way, right, anything could happen in the world of politics as we've seen, Yes, how do you deal with politics with events outside your events? And even here you could see a change in government with reform coming into power.
Speaker 1: I have a principle in business. I always tell people, once you get into trouble, it is too late. So you need to prepare the company before you get into trouble. So what does that mean? Like, we are actually living with it as we speak, and we last year we lived with tariff. But first of all, make the company very resilient. That was our drive. We did that so external sharks, we actually deal with it a lot better. Mindset is more important than anything else. You need to have the mindset and the response capability in the company. You need to develop that before you are in trouble because it takes some time, right, and then you need to be agile using that capability. And then last thing, you are gonna do. You are gonna be action oriented, not explanation oriented.
Speaker 2: But if you don't know what the trouble is, are you scenario planning for all the things that that could change.
Speaker 1: It's not about actually predicting the world. It is about how your company not thinks about dealing with external sharks. Right, So that is the capability, the process is the mindset. We are now responding to current sharks. I can assure you we couldn't do a half of what we are doing three years ago. Probably tempers. Probably when I said something, people would look at me with blank eyes. What is he talking about today? I don't need to say a lot. I need to give the context and people are in action.
Speaker 2: Are you ready for rapid fire questions? Yes, there are always reports that someone could be retiring, including you. If you were to retire, where would your dream retirement destination be.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure I want one destination. I would like to multiple places. One probably is sort of a little bit sunny place. I love London. I will retire in London definitely, but with some summer sort of sunny place in the backup.
Speaker 2: But no plans to retire, not anytime soon. You said, you were a university lecturer. If you were to go back, what subject would you like to teach?
Speaker 1: Probably I would teach more leadership related stuff. Right now, I was teaching at that time micro and macroeconomics. But given my career, I think I would do something different.
Speaker 2: We've heard you're a keen reader. So is there one book you've returned to multiple times?
Speaker 1: So I read history books? Why history books? Because that tells a lot about human behaviors to me? Because yes, times change, I'm not sure human behavior change a lot too.
Speaker 2: Fan, Thank you so much, Thank you, thanks for listening to this episode of leaders with me Francin Laqua the podcast. If you like our show, please rate, review and subscribe, and if you want to watch the show, please find us on YouTube. This episode was hosted by me Francin Laqua. It was produced by by Atalandi Dixon, Somersadi and Mosses and dam Amy Kean is the executive producer of Talk Podcasts. Sound designed by Blake Maples and Aaron Casper. Special thanks to two fun Ergan Bilgic