Speaker 1: You probably recognize the name doctor Marty mccarrey if you watch Fox News, read the Washington Post or the Wall Street Journal. Doctor McCarey, and we played quite a few clips of him during and after COVID was a refreshingly independent voice about both COVID the responses to it. And one of my favorite aspects of doctor McCarry and what he does, and we're going to talk to him in just a second, is that if he didn't know, he would say, we don't know that yet, which we need much more of fan six feet apart science. All right, all right, I trust the science. Doctor McCarey is the author of a forthcoming book, Blind Spots, When Medicine Gets It Wrong and What It Means for Our Health New York Times bestselling author, healthcare expert at Johns Hopkins.
Speaker 2: Doctor McCarey, how are you, sir.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, looking forward to opening day for the NFL tonight and watching the Ravens. Good to be with you, guys.
Speaker 1: Awesome, good team to root for, the Mighty Ravens. So, the book I'm Guessing, Blind Spots When Medicine Gets It Wrong, was inspired in large measure by the response to COVID.
Speaker 3: Well, I actually don't talk much about COVID in the book. A lot of people are become very tribal about it. You have a lot of conversation. But COVID was a sneak peek into how a broader medical establishment works and when they issue broad recommendations, be it the food pyramid or the wrong advice on how to prevent pened allergies, and you go down the list, many of our modern day health crises have actually been caused by or hastened by the medical establishment giving wrong information out there. So there's a lot of misinformation in health and science, and that's why I wrote this. People need to know the truth about the obesity epidemic, why autism is going up, the real cause of heart disease. So I present the latest research on all these topics in the book Blind Spots.
Speaker 1: Wow, I had what I thought was a really good follow up question. But I find myself wanting to know the answer to all of those things.
Speaker 2: You just need each one of them.
Speaker 1: As a parent of a kid on the autism spectrum, for instance, what clues do we have for what's going on there?
Speaker 3: Well, autism is going up fourteen percent every year over the last twenty three years, so it's up three hundred and seventeen percent over that time period. No one in the medical field is stopping and putting their head up and looking around and say, what's going on here. No one's asking these big questions. And it turns out that we've got some good preliminary data that when the microbiome is altered, that is the garden of millions of different bacteria that line the GI tract. When that or system is altered, that appears to be associated with autism. And there's a lot of things that alter the microbiome, from the ultra process foods and potentially the pesticides, the heavy metals, microplastics. We're understanding that kids born by C section have a different microbiome, and now that has been associated with the rise in colon cancer that we're seeing in young people. So there's some incredible scientific research out there that when I look at these studies and share them with my colleagues other doctors at Johns Hopkins Hospital, they're shocked by that research. And so I thought, why not share this research directly with the public in a book.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I'm going to go back to my at least reasonably high quality follow up question, which was going to be We're fairly familiar with the history of the food pyramid and the influence of the serial companies in the fifties and sixties. But Margarine, yeah, oh my god, lots and lots of carbs, always carbs. We kind of understand what the motivation was there. What are some of the other things that motivate the medical establishment to push things that are, you know, not entirely true or not true at all.
Speaker 3: Well, look big pharma and the food industry that is profiting off of these highly addictive foods that are engineered to not make you feel full, but to make you want more, and you sort of never feel like you're you're full, Your you're hunger increases as you eat, which is backwards and big ag These industries have captured not only the regulators and the government in their recommendations, but also the medical profession. Heck, most of our funding for research comes from pharma, and so the only thing we really study our drugs, and we make people sick. We ignore all the poisoned food and environmental exp and we just medicate people. And we've got a terrible thing to doctors, We've told them, just put your head down and prescribe these medications. Every time you see these things. We've got the most over medicated population in the history of the world. And at no point is anyone saying, what's going on here, what's the big picture? But I think it's a lot of the big industry. It's a medical industrial complex, and a group of doctors now are pushing back. We're pushing back and we're going straight to the public and bringing the case directly to them.
Speaker 4: Well, there'd be a cultural aspect to this too, obviously, the profit motive and everything like that. But then there's a cultural aspect of doctors aren't supposed to tell anybody, hey, you're fat and you need to start eating different because then they're going to get a bad review and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: So that's its own problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a consumerist culture, there's a there's groupthink in medicine. You saw it during COVID and no one could talk about obesity. It was a forbidden topic. All of the discussion. We talked about COVID incessantly for three years. No one ever mentioned the number one modifiable risk factor of dying of COVID and that is what we call metabolic syndrome pre diabetes, diabetes and obesity, and that is one hundred percent modifiable as a shoot born illness.
Speaker 2: So interesting. I'm so lucky.
Speaker 1: My primary guy, a care doctor, said to me the other day, my job is to get you to one hundred years old with as little medication as possible. And I thought, yeah, I can climb on board that plan.
Speaker 4: And you said, and you said, I want a second opinion, and he said, you're ugly too.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, beautiful, So listen, I'm about to answer ask a question of doctor Marty McCarey that would require another book to answer. But in Stephen Brill's great book Bitter Pill, he's talking about the American medical medical care system, which is even more screwed up than it was when he wrote the book. Are there a couple of things you would recommend government do in terms of the American healthcare system?
Speaker 2: What would they be?
Speaker 1: Because it feels like, is Brill put it, the government's not involved where it needs to be most and over involved where it ought to get the hell out of the way.
Speaker 3: Well, we got to get rid of a lot of these conflicts of interest We've got to get a fresh set of leadership. All these dinosaurs at the NIH and these institutions, none of them have ever I've never heard any of them apologize for any one of their twenty major errors during COVID, and so people are hungry for honesty. A study just came out showing that only forty percent of the American public now trust hospitals and doctors. That's down from sixty five percent four years ago. So we need SOMEL. We need to get rid of these conflicts of interest, we need fresh leadership, and we need to get rid of the capture by big pharma. You know, we've got we've subsidized a lot of the poison in our food. A lot of these derivatives come from food subsidies. Maybe we need to talk about changing the school lunch program instead of putting every kid on ozempic. Maybe we need to talk about environmental exposures that cause cancer, not just the chemotherapy to treat it. We've got to talk about food as medicine and a whole new approach to health. Because we've got fifty percent of our nation's children now obese or overweight, and a quarter are dealing with pre diabetes. That is not a healthy prospect. And the only thing the medical industrial complex is saying is we got to medicate more people, and that is not the answer.
Speaker 4: You've talked a lot about what we eat for obvious reasons. What have you eaten today?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm actually going to take a break and go to the gym here as soon as we're done. I like to have eggs in the morning, some natural, healthy juices with no added sugar, and then I might have some nuts or skip lunch and then just go straight to dinner. It's like the medical field has discovered things that we've known about since biblical times. There's benefits to fasting, whole foods, clean meats, there's nothing wrong with meat and meditation. These are all biblical principles, but it's like we're rediscovering them in the modern medical literature.
Speaker 2: Excellent point. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Doctor Marty McCarey's new book is Blind Spots, When Medicine Gets it Wrong and what it means for our health.
Speaker 2: It's coming out like next week.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, it's coming on next week. I'm really excited about this book. So thanks for mentioning it.
Speaker 2: We might have you back on again.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I we'd be delighted if we could talk again. The book sounds terrific. There are so many topics that we could discuss with you. We know you've got to tight schedule. I mean, for instance, I know you're your field surgically is transplants, correct, I mean that's your your chief.
Speaker 3: Specialty, gastro intestinal surgery and surgical oncology and pancreas. Pancreas ISLD transplants has been my clinical focus, but I spend now most of my time doing public health research, trying a challenge that deeply held assumptions in medicine. And I don't think doctor Kauchi is going to be sending me a Christmas card this year.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, nor Mark Zuckerberg, who owes you a hell of an apology speaking of trying to silence any descent during the COVID period, including learned and well informed dissent.
Speaker 2: Uh, Doctor McCarey, great to talk to you. I hope we can do it again.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, thanks so much.
Speaker 4: That whole pleasure, that whole thing you just described that he does. I was going to do that, but I decided to be a dis jockie.
Speaker 2: So the uh pancreatic. Yeah, transplant gas. That's what I was going to do. That's what I was planning on doing. And then I became Jackie
Speaker 1: Shop and Getty