Speaker 1: Xander could have eaten Yoli out in front of malth and Mal would have been like, I support you, yes, she's sheen am me.
Speaker 2: No mane Yo? What is your childhood trauma?
Speaker 1: I have yo? What's going down before you? So round? Welcome to Like a Virgin the Patreon where we force our producer to talk about gay reality dating shows with us. I'm Ra's Damu, I'm Fran Toronto, and.
Speaker 2: I'm producer Phoebe in the chi the ultimatum has a rot havoc on my lege and the and the lives.
Speaker 1: We gave an ultimatum, wait be an ultimatum that you had to either be on this episode or.
Speaker 2: Or not. Should we start with the question before we get into it? Have you ever been given an ultimatum? Uh?
Speaker 3: Well I was okay, so I've never been given an ultimatum, But I was actually going to ask you, I Phebe, what drama has this has this inspired in your life?
Speaker 1: Do you have like other community members that are all divided amongst who they side with in the show.
Speaker 2: I mean I think everyone like sides with no one in the show pretty much. Yeah, I mean the people we don't the people that we don't side with are like the people who produce this show. Yeah, yeah, like and did not just send these people to therapy right off the bat?
Speaker 1: Yeah that really that really would have been the best way to do this is like put like a fifty one fifty on everyone in the cast. They are literally all so unthapized.
Speaker 3: It's like kind of terrifying, Like literally so many of their problems would be solved with therapy.
Speaker 2: It should have been maybe like girl interrupted, Oh wait, like as in, they should all be in an insane asylums.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what.
Speaker 3: You have to say that you said, girl interrupted, And I don't know, I think we've all agreed that not everyone in this show.
Speaker 2: Sorry that interrupted?
Speaker 1: That interrupted, girl boy interrupted. Okay, So I want to lay out for any virgins listening who haven't watched the show what it is the premise. This is a Netflix reality dating show. It's the second season, and this is their first all queer season of it. The show has five couples, and in each couple, one of the partners really wants to get married. The other one is dragging their feet for whatever, and so as they come into the show, that partner gives them an ultimatum that after the experiment, as they say it, they will either get engaged or break up. And how they do that is they meet the other contestants or like experiment members, guinea pigs, whatever, and they find a new boo to spend three weeks with. Then after that they go back to their original partner, and at the end they have to decide do they want to get engaged, do they want to stay with the new person they found, or do they want to be single. The show's hosted by Joanna Swisher Garcia from Rebo, who is not queer and absolutely did not know what she was getting into, not exciting for the show, say the words fingergate at the reunion.
Speaker 3: Oh but the thing is, I'm sorry, I just I feel like I who How many people does the casting decision need to get through before somebody says, hey, who is this woman and why is she hosting this show?
Speaker 1: Like literally, at.
Speaker 3: Any point if that question is asked in any room, like an executive's room and a casting decision room, and like in like any sort of like work room, whatever. If somebody asks the question, hey, who is this woman and why is she hosting this show?
Speaker 1: What is the answer to that question?
Speaker 2: I don't think there was a whole lot of like editorial oversight.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think this show production was horrible. The thing they thought most about was the cups.
Speaker 3: You know, the cops wait to talk about the cops talk about.
Speaker 2: The their metal continuity cups.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a thing that that happens on all Netflix reality dating shows like Love is Blind. They of these gold or silver goblets so that you can't see the contents in them, so that for continuity reasons. I don't really get that whole thing, because you don't want to, I know, But like, I don't think it's like as big of a problem. I think they've got bigger fish to fry.
Speaker 3: I agree, because I mean those continuity cups should have their names on them, because it took me a really long time to learn all their names.
Speaker 1: I think that's a you thing, babe.
Speaker 2: I've read like two different lesbian writers recaps of all the episodes, and uh no, Maddy Court, who does is Zeno Warrior Princess has a subject, And then Carmen Maria Machado made her substack free at least for one of the recaps.
Speaker 1: I want to read that.
Speaker 2: She also, I think She also wrote like a a more serious, like domestic violence related piece that is paywalls.
Speaker 1: Every your woman I know was watching this show.
Speaker 3: Every non queer woman I know was also watching that. I feel like everyone I know was watching this.
Speaker 2: I was at Dyke Day Los Angeles this weekend, and it was like I could I didn't even want to look around because I kept thinking I was seeing them, Like anytime I saw like any fake eyelashes, I was like, oh my god, Mildred like those three one And then I did see that Tiff was like making an appearance at a Pride thing in LA this weekend, and I'm just like, not making an appearance, not their cameo prices on their Instagram and I'm just like, oh.
Speaker 1: God, wait, wait, wait wait remember any of the oh my god cameo? Wait, my birthday is coming up? How much? Who would you? Who would you want to for Xander? Joanna Swisher Garcia No, I used to pay.
Speaker 2: For a Xander cameo, like I would pay?
Speaker 1: No, I don't, I don't. I don't want a cameo from any of them. Xander. Let's let's face it, though Xander is hot.
Speaker 2: No, I think I think I'm the rest of your eyebrows go and piece of toast eyebrow.
Speaker 1: I mean, the hottest is definitely Mal, but I still think Xander's hot.
Speaker 2: Malay has their flaws, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, like every thirty seconds, Mal would say, I just want to make sure I'm showing up for you in the right way, which is negative.
Speaker 2: For some reason, it is negative to me too, because I'm just like you are pretending you want things that you don't want. You're taking cable ship. And the hats were terrible.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, oh so many hats, the hats, so many hats, so many bow ties? What is up with the bow ties? Lesbians? If you'd like to hear this full episode in our full conversation if you can get that over on our Patreon, Patreon dot com slash like a Virgin h