Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the two a trend pick up the sleep under trend or the sleep trender. Yeah, I'm Jack, that is Miles. Yeah, and we're gonna tell you a couple of things that are trending on this Thursday afternoon. The Church show title is a reference to sleep unders, wherein parents don't want their kids to sleep over at someone's house. I'm rather than just saying that shit, they just like go all the way up to the They're like edging a sleepover God, and they're like, all right, I'll let you sleep over there until two am, and then I'll come by and embarrass the shit out of you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Front, all your friends don't like that, right when I knock on the door, when they think it's a ghost story, But no, it's just my embarrassing parent.
Speaker 1: Hey, who's terminally online. I'm here to pick you up, so nobody notices that you peed in the sleeping bag. Yeah, just bring just bring it.
Speaker 2: Don't put it in the don't put it in the garbage back, just bring it just quickly, quickly, quickly.
Speaker 1: This is uh, I mean it just uh.
Speaker 2: It feels like a continuation of like the ship that like our parents in the eighties were like experiencing when they're like, Yo, what fucking satan, what fucking the dangers out there? And it's like gradually just become more and more and more protective, overprotective. It's like apparently like on a continuum, parents are just becoming more and more self described as overprotective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and.
Speaker 2: I get like, we live in a world where you so you get so much fucking information. You're like, I don't know, man, it's like fucking people got guns everywhere. Everyone's a fucking pervert. I don't fucking know anybody or anything anymore. But it, uh, yeah, like this just seems like a little bit too much.
Speaker 1: Uh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I went to fucking sleepovers. I learned a lot about myself.
Speaker 1: I wanted to sleepovers all the time like my parents, and they also let me sleep over at people's houses. So that was a recipe for me being just two personalities. I was miles when I was sleeping over. You know what mode? I was in demon mode. I was in demon mode. Brother, were you just wild, like going off the walls?
Speaker 2: Like truly just someone who just got like, yeah, released from incarceration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, smoked my first cigarette, had my first taste of alcohol at a sleepover, snuck out. We would just like be roaming the streets all night, like from the top, because yeah, you had like those parents who's like those like friends whose parents just like were either not around or had substance abuse problems, and you know, or just honestly, we're so viby. They're like I trust them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm like, we're we're twelve years old and we're running through the fucking neighborhood at three.
Speaker 1: In the morning. Yeah, yeah, exactly, all right. I like this kind of vibe parenting. So I I'm kind of split on this one. Like I'm I'm not super eager for my kids like start sleeping over at people's houses. But I don't think I'm gonna be like, Okay, it's a sleep under. I will come and like watch over you, you know, or thats gonna next to you. Hey, I get it. Guys. You want to hear some ghost stories.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, let me tell you about the let me tell you about the crash of eight what.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's I don't know.
Speaker 2: It just also feels like this is we're generally I noticed this too, as like now I'm like a new parent. There's so much fucking weird information or quote unquote experts out there, like especially on especially on social media and stuff with like all these like parent hacks and things like that, that it really just undermines. And I was saying, I think I was saying this early on, there's so much information that it undermines your own like innate instincts as a human being to raise a child, like don't do that, like you gotta use this tactic like oh, don't ever say this or that or that. I'm like, well, I get a lot of those things are useful. Like I think if you are you know, self aware enough, you probably won't fall into these pitfalls of like completely traumatizing your child or like it like inadvertently. I mean, that's always going to be the risk. But I think like we just like all of this added information, people are just very much willing to just sort of like you know, throw their hands up and be like, well, what.
Speaker 1: Does this guide say? What does that guide say?
Speaker 2: Then being like yeah, I know these parents like I don't think, like I have no reason to not trust that, like my kid wouldn't be safe there, or you know, et cetera. I don't know, man, Just like they said, mo information more problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what one? Karne is that farmstrong mother of three children ages twelve, fourteen, and twenty has never allowed her children to spend a night away from her home, even with other family members. She does, however, want her kids to have a normal childhood experience, so she has settled on letting them attend parties if she can bring them home at bedtime. Like the it's just you can't. You can't have both those lifts. Yeah, even sends two or three in the morning. What mm hmm. But I mean, look, this is you do what you want to do.
Speaker 2: And again, I don't know what this person's background is, that they have diminished trust and even their own family members.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like for me, like a family, but what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, that's like step one. I'm like, yeah, trust them, I know them. Uh So, y'all just do what you gotta do. But do realize that it is a humiliation for the kid when you got to get picked up when everybody's doing the other thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A couple of court stories. Uh, the judge and Trump's civil fraud trial faced a bomb threat at his home ahead of closing arguments, and then once closing arguments started, I'm pretty sure Trump started talking shit. Is that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Pretty much immediately he's like, they're doing the fraud. To me, that's where the fraud is. You're like, oh, powerful words. You should be speaking at the Hague, sir, with your fucking your absolute command of the English language as a rhetorician.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that was happening in the US. And then at the Hague, an Irish barrister had the closing argument on behalf of the Palestinian people and the case that what Israel is doing is in fact genocide. And we'll just link off to that ship in the I mean, it's it is very powerful. It's succinct.
Speaker 2: It captures the frustration, the anger, honestly, even as in our own words, the embarrassment that we should have the like or developed nations to let this happen and just standing idly by.
Speaker 1: It's really powerful.
Speaker 2: And and I also not to make a joke, but I'm the wig things that it's a tradition to a tradition there. It's just somehow even despite that, every thing rings true and I don't I'm so bad with I mean, not that I know Gaelic or anything like that, but it's just like to see like her name.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, I can't even I can't even try this one. Oh what. I haven't even attempted to figure it out. But yeah, the wigs are uh, I don't know. I respect it. I respect them sticking. I respect any anyone who's still just rocking with the like openly wig clowns, Irish barristers. You know, I think it's like mostly in European court. I know, definitely in.
Speaker 2: The UK because like anytime I watch those UK crime things, like when they all got to pull up, they're.
Speaker 1: Like, me, get my fucking wig on real quick. Okay, okay, okay, good, not ready to present the case.
Speaker 2: But I wonder if like, if we had that in the US, we would have less absolute joker clown type lawyers or like to be like, I mean, like you gotta kind of take it serious. I can't just be some grease ball up there with pushed back hair and top of my shit. If I have to put this little wig on top of it, I have.
Speaker 1: To look absolutely ridiculous, you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the case that South Africa has brought to the International Court is I mean, it's it's pretty iron I don't know. I mean, like everything you see, you're like, yeah, they're they're already preempting like other arguments that the Israel might have to defend what's happening. But yeah, this we'll talk a little bit more about it in tomorrow's episode. But this is just this is just the beginning of a very long process. But hopefully again, if people hear these words from this barrister, that will hopefully jar some people's eyes open a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also talking about things we'll be talking about on tomorrow's episode. Just like shitty AI seems to be a trend that continues on Abated, there is a shitty Mario AI hologram that is haunting CS twenty twenty four. The just it's real glitchy. It's but you can you can get away with anything by just calling it Ai.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and it's like it's like, we get it's Ai. Man, it's not finished yet.
Speaker 1: It's not the god thing yet, but also isn't a cool Yeah, it's like, nah, it's kind of freaking freaking me out, man. Yeah, you kind of freaking me out, dude.
Speaker 2: I just came to hear to see which refrigerators are going to have AI this year at the Consumer Electronics Show.
Speaker 1: Which which refrigerators can I count on to be leaking my personal data? But they're all that's like one of the new things.
Speaker 2: Like I have somebody who works in you know, tech and like working on like consumer goods and shit, and like so much of it is being like scanning your refrigerator to be able to like order food that you might need or like another thing is like to be able to look at what you have in your refrigerator and then suggest like like recipes based on the ingredients you already have and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But you know, the companies like Walmart and.
Speaker 2: Amazon or want to be like yeah, man, like let us know what's in your fridge and like we'll just auto order everything for you and just very frictionless.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be very frictionless. So frictionless so thought like they friction akay thought. They just want to remove all the thought and yeah, the the offer is we can do what you do with your own brain. Just like wait, you don't do it no more. Yeah, but you don't have to do it at all. It'll just be way worse. Yo, do we take, don't take going to the store. Some of us love that. I love going to the going to the store. I definitely have that thing from the White Noise novel where like I get like, uh, some brain chemical, some dopamine rush, just like being at a grocery store seeing all the colors. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's like also some ship from childhood, because like I would always be like, Mom, give me this. She's like hell no, So like it's like my same thing with sneakers. I'm like, well, guess what. Now I can go to the store and say yes to everything, but I'm still just getting like normal shit.
Speaker 1: But I just I'm buying like the oreo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like birthday guess what, mom, these are triple stuff.
Speaker 1: Hold that.
Speaker 2: And people are like, sir, you've been here for forty five minutes just recording the same clip over and over, like the last ones were not good enough. I think I got a good take. I will be checking out now, thank you. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're back, and.
Speaker 1: Nark Sucker Nerd is in the news again, dude, cause he's he's the fucking he's the Wogu god.
Speaker 2: Now, bro, I mean, it's just so dumb, dude, I hate this. He's already on his ranch talking about like just you know, like I'm wired. We saw like these supposed plans for like his like apocalypse bunker. It just sounds like this whole thing. Actually, yeah, exactly, I'm the apex predator. I'm a billionaire and he just wants to live underground and raise his Wagu cattle and like had this picture of him sitting in front of like a very big piece of meat and started raising cattle at the coal Aal ranch in Kawaii. And my goal is to create some of the highest quality beef in the world. The cattle are Wagu and Angus, and they'll grow up eating Macadamian meal and drinking beer that we grow and produce here on the ranch. We want the whole process to be local and vertically integrated. And and by local, I mean we will actually restrict any participation by locals in this industry.
Speaker 1: And he says, now, each cow.
Speaker 2: It's like five to ten thousand pounds of food each year, so that's a lot of acres of macadamia trees. My daughters helped plant the mac trees and take care of our different animals. We're still in the early journeys and it's fun improving on it every season. On all my projects, this is the most delicious, just.
Speaker 1: That a little homegrown operation of a like how many acres does he have? I don't know. It's just me and my daughter's out here planting hand hand planting some trees for a little cows.
Speaker 2: Like, are you when we know, like what you know cattle ranching does to the environment, are any are you doing that.
Speaker 1: A certain way to kind of offset that whole part? Okay, no? No.
Speaker 2: And the beer thing, that's such a like guy who read about waggu one type of thing, because like, not every person, not every place that raises like actual waggu waggu in Japan feeds them beer. Like there's Matsuzakagu, which is one of the places they do. But like Kobe, like where Kobe beef comes from, they don't do that shit, and a lot of things don't.
Speaker 1: I would assume to just drink nothing but beer, that's like, yeah, you would be about as healthy as like one of the founding fathers who like, you know, I feel like when I think about their diets. It's like there most of their calories are burned, passing like size kidney stones, right, you know, right, why are we taking it back to its fresh water was not available? Yeah, he's I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean like at least he's he wasn't wearing a meta helmet when he did it, So I mean there's that. I wonder if he's if he's finally putting that to bed and he's like, fuck you dude, Like, let me just raise cattle. I think that can do that and like punch the sides of beef like Rocky as I trained for my fake MMA fights.
Speaker 1: Like if you tried to fly a drone there, how quickly would a surface to air missile just like blow that ship out of there?
Speaker 2: I don't know that would be a really good Like someone should just start a YouTube channel to test how like restrictive spaces near billionaires are. Yeah, Like I wonder yet, Like would like an anti drone drone fleet then be launched to intercept your drone?
Speaker 1: Probably yeah, yeah, or they just do. It wouldn't be spectacular. It would just like quietly come up. It would be five drones that come up behind your drone before it notices anything. It's just like and then break, you're coming with me? You're coming with me? Yeah, tough guy. It's a tough guy, I think.
Speaker 2: Or there are just a fucking army of lawyers just scare the ship out of you and be like, we'll sue your ass.
Speaker 1: Into fucking oblivion. Yeah, And maybe that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Rather like we're creating a fantasy world like it's all fucking hiek. It's just like watch of litigation is their main weapon.
Speaker 1: Get sued into houselessness. Basically, we're at a stage I need to learn more about this. But there's this product that the rabbit r one, a smartphone without the phone part, and people are like, it's the it's the new AI assistant. But it just it does feel like we're now like backward inventing things where they've added AI to everything and now it's just gonna be a slow process of like rolling it back. Yeah, they're like, what about a refrigerator that doesn't have an AI assistant attached to it? When that doesn't allow magnets to be stuck to it? Oh? What about an underground tunnel system that you can take individual cars through rather than a subway which has more seating. Just this one is just one off. Yeah, I mean, I guess the whole thing is here.
Speaker 2: It's like a super app because it uses all these other apps and like streamlines it for you, so you can just be like, hey, motherfucker, I need this, I need these sets of tires ordered.
Speaker 1: It just like it goes to yeah, yeah, the herd assistant. Yeah, I mean, I'm if that's what it is, that's great. I just I don't know. I just don't need it. I personally don't need it. I like going to the store.
Speaker 2: I like going to a mechanics place and pretending I'm a macho man who understands what's being said and be like, oh, yeah, well then that's not good, right, Yeah, So let's not do that unless.
Speaker 1: I mean, consult my AI assistant quickly, sir, thank you existent give me a very masculine response to this question about tire tread. And then finally, the People's Choice Awards nominees were announced I guess which. First of all, it was news to me that People's Choice Awards are still a thing. They are going to be posted by Simoulu And it's so two things that I noticed in the awards one the last of Us did in fact come out this year. I still don't. I still don't believe, or I guess last year, but that for some reason, that is the most twenty twenty one pandemic ass TV show that totally came out in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Currently, I just think it's because it was it was supposed to come out earlier and it got pushed back, and I think that that's what it was.
Speaker 1: But I remember when we were talking about like waiting on it or anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but in the year end episodes, I remember us all being like, nah, nah.
Speaker 1: That twenty twenty Yeah, that seems wrong. But also, like the people Choice words, so now like they the way they're determined is through online voting, so they're kind of they they hadn't heard tell that, like online polls are not a good way to make decisions, right, and so like the winner of last year's like Best Picture was Don't Worry Darling. But for a long time I was looking back over the awards and like People's People's Choice like has a better record, I think in terms of just like picking out iconic movies that are like the movies that we remember from that year, right, like Going Through the Sting, which did win the Academy Award, Jaws one Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. They they have an advantage where they will pick two movies in a given years. So that's fine, that's good. Uh, like a Push Star Wars, Grease, Rocky two. Now. Look, maybe some people be like Rocky one better film. I don't know if that's true, but if you missed the first one instead of like waiting twenty years and being like and now we'll give the award to stallone for some lesser work, just give it to the fucking sequel. Yeah, just be like, ah, Rocky too. How about that Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Arc Et, Return of the Jedi, Beverly Hills, cop Back to the Future, Top Gun Fatal. So like, wow, the Oscars were awarding like Out of Africa and you know, like Chariots of Fire, you know, like it was people like Raiders, Empire Strikes Back, Et, and Back to the Future, like they they had their finger on the pulse a little bit more than the Academy Awards. I feel like in the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 2: Wait, how come they don't have one for ninety eight on this like list anyway, Like when you look at the ones in the nineties, you're like, or eighty All Star, eighty nine, Batman, yup, Pretty Woman, yup? Your terminator to a Judgment Day, Yeah you're good men. Yeah, Jurassic Park, Uh huh, Forrest Gump m hm, Apollo thirteen, Damn. Ron Howard had them fucking wave Dependence Day. Liar Liar Liar, Now that's Titanic.
Speaker 1: That's the point at which I'm like, you know what, like that is controversial, but you guys were like on one, you were like really feeling yourselves and you're like, yeah, we're gonna give it to liar liar on this Uh yeah, I think because it's like obviously Titanic was the one that was like on the charts forever. But it's like, y'all, people were fucking heavy with liar, Like, people were fucking heavy with liar Liar, and rightly. So that is a movie that is burned into my brain from that time period. Titanic.
Speaker 2: Audrey, Yeah, sorry, I had to. I had to exercise those liar liar demons really quick.
Speaker 1: The claw. Yeah, So I don't know, like just a shout out to People's Choice Awards for having a having a pretty good run there. I feel like a lot of these movies if they if the Academy Awards did the thing that we talk about where they go back and you know, check their work five years later. It just like did the award for the movies that came out five years ago and like really had the benefit of like five years of hindsight and see like what actually holds up. I feel like some of these movies would have gotten the awards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they catch also to you know, our future alien overlords before you invade and you're trying to create humanoids that can fit in with us. If if you're training them, do not use the lists of the Academy Award winners to try and create, you know, some semblance of a knowledge about popular culture. You absolutely should be going off these people People's Choice Awards because I don't know how many people saw a fucking crash, but I'll tell you what a lot of fucking people saw Harry Potter or The fucking Dark Knight.
Speaker 1: Correct. You know, the people People's Choice Awards have the have the courage to give the Movie of the Year Award to Shrek when nobody else did you know the people chose? All right, Well, those are some of the things that are trend on this Thursday, January eleventh. We are back tomorrow with the whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow. Fight Bite