Speaker 1: Miligu Books has all the knowledge you want.
Speaker 2: League has all the knowledge you need.
Speaker 1: Yet they have all the books that the whole wild world wan up read Meligue Books. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to Malik's Books bringing a world together with books, culture and community.
Speaker 2: Hi, my name is Malik, your host of Malik's Bookshow.
Speaker 1: Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers in the whole wild world. Wishing you a happy Mother's Day. From Malik's Bookshelf and Belik's Books. This is a glorious day to celebrate the future of civilization because without mothers, there is no future. So we earn a you, we cherish you, read, love you, we respect you. May this day be a day of celebration, jubilee and fellowship with family and friends. We love you and we wish you a happy Mother's Day. So I had to start off with that today is significant. We honored it and celebrating the impact of women who are mothers, who are foster mothers, who are step mothers, who are biological mothers.
Speaker 2: If you a mother, give yourself the honor that you deserve.
Speaker 1: We celebrating mothers and we went out to the waterfront beach resort out in Huntington Beach to April and the kids and we went to celebrate Mother's Day and give her honor and glory and appreciation that we had brunch with the ocean front view. They had all these different buffet stations from breakfast making omelets to order. We also had a sushi station. We had an American buffet station. They had a.
Speaker 2: A solid station.
Speaker 1: They had of course, a dessert stage, every type of delicious dessert you can think of. And they also had a you know, a meat carving station as well. And you know, what's a buffet without having pizza, right, Okay, so they had some pizza too, So hey, it was a glorious brunch overlooking the ocean, the waterfront view while we sat there and serenade in honor in April as a mother. We had a wonderful experience, wonderful time. They played music and someone also played a violin. But you know, a lot of times when you pay for these types of things, you know you're really paying for the ambiance. And the food was good. Food was okay. You know, it was a variety, so you can find something that you like. But the reality is that you know you're paying for the ambiance. You know, when you go to a restaurant and you sit down and you pay those kind of prices, you paying for the ambyance, the experience, you know, having a wonderful good time. And we had a wonderful and good time having Mothers Day brunch right at the Waterfront Beach Resort, a Hilton right out in Huntington Beach, and it was beautiful, incredible, and it was so many wonderful mothers that came.
Speaker 2: Out and had brunch. So Happy Mother's Day. Whoa wait, this has been a long week now.
Speaker 1: You know last week we celebrated seventeen years anniversary, so we rolled into Mother's Day this week. So just in between, your boy is exhausted, let me tell you exhausted. It just seemed like it's always something we involved in.
Speaker 3: Went to a couple of schools this week.
Speaker 1: In the community and host of the book fair went to a middle school out in Westchester called Canton, Yeah, Canton Johnson Stem Academy. And we don't put out the middle school books for the kids that were that attended the school.
Speaker 2: So that was at the earlier this week.
Speaker 1: Then by Thursday we had another book fairbull we gave away books to every student at Frank D Parent Elementary right out here in Inglewood. We gave away books to every school. These books was donated by Black Infinity Group at Pisky Media Corps book driving partnership with Malik Books. So in this partnership with Black Infinity Group and Pisky Media Corps in partnership with Elite Books, we did a book drive and we were able to give all the students at frank D Parent one book each.
Speaker 2: You should have.
Speaker 1: Seen the excitement and the warmth and the just sheer joy that the students had receiving these books.
Speaker 2: And let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: I got an opportunity to talk with all the students at Frank D Parent Elementary in the auditorium. So on this podcast, you know, I got the feature that conversation I had with one hundred percent of our future, our youth, our children.
Speaker 2: It is so hey, it was electric.
Speaker 1: When I get an opportunity to be able to talk with our youth, I got to inspire, I got to enlightened. I got to drive on one thing. Reading is important and readers are leaders. So that's going to be featured on this podcast as well as a conversation I had with my two children as I was coaching them on the track. We were training and there were some things I saw that really drove home a point that I had to talk to them about. And it was called step into You. So it's very really organic. It's right on the spot. I only recorded half of it, but it sounded so good and motivational. And then I said, let me recall what I'm saying, you know, So I recorded the conversation I had with Maca Anxie year in my pursuit of trying to push them to step into you.
Speaker 3: So that's featured on this episode.
Speaker 1: So sit back and enjoy this episode coming to you now.
Speaker 2: Fright you fight, you give it up for Tiffany Cambris. Y'all know my miscam, give it up. I just want you to see an example.
Speaker 4: Oh what happens when you come together, you meet people in your network.
Speaker 2: Then you can leverage that.
Speaker 5: Network into opportunities like this for me to be able to stand here and talk with you today. So as you journey and your I guess growing up because we all got to grow up, right, y'all want to be big one day?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: Listen, we're a grateful and thankful to be here, and we want to thank doctor Goffney, your principal, for giving us this opportunity. We want to thank Ms Cambridge for this opportunity to be here today because we got something special for you today.
Speaker 2: Now she already told you see it already left it out. But that's what you can expect today. You can expect. You can expect a book. Now.
Speaker 4: These books were donated by the Black Affinity Group and Pisky Media Group. Black Affinity Group and Piskey Media car donated these books to your school.
Speaker 2: So I need to give y'all to give them a round of a flag for stepping over the sponsor. That's a wonderful thank.
Speaker 1: Because you know why it's wonderful because children are one hundred percent of our future. Everyone right here, sitting down is our future. Without you, there is no future, and without teachers.
Speaker 2: There is no development of youth. So we need to give around the power for all the teachers. But thank them for their service and education because a sacifier. They don't even know what the work, and it's the labor of love because they love you and we love what we.
Speaker 1: Do it because we know that you in the future and children are one hundred percent of our future.
Speaker 2: So we want to make sure you love.
Speaker 1: Yourself, you believe in yourself, and you have to desire to be anything that you want.
Speaker 2: To be, because you can't. Your only limitations you have is the limitation you put on yourself.
Speaker 4: And you're gonna be going along in this journey of life and you're gonna doubt yourself.
Speaker 2: Tell you something, Anything that you want to find you can find in a book.
Speaker 4: Anything that you want to be you can find in a book.
Speaker 2: Now we here to to give you the gift of a book.
Speaker 4: Today, one per student, and we got a ton of books.
Speaker 2: What you what you don't? Point down? Point up? Now, all right, point up. That's a good thing. It's a beautiful thing. You know what I'm saying. People love you, People give it to you. You know you are, You have value, you.
Speaker 4: Have, you matter, and we want to make sure that you be all you can be when you grow up.
Speaker 1: We want you to be anything that you want to be what you grow up. But I know one thing readers are leaders.
Speaker 2: Say readers, you got to read it to a chief.
Speaker 1: You got to read to a chief. There's no way around it. There's no way around it.
Speaker 4: And they're gonna get things that are gonna you gotta to read more complex books when you when you when.
Speaker 2: You get older. But right now, we got a lot of good books. They teach you, you know about your culture.
Speaker 1: That makes you love yourself is the books that reflect yourself because your matter, and you got to see yourself as great and it glorious and worthy.
Speaker 2: Isn't that right? Okay?
Speaker 1: So Elite Books is a is an independent black ghost store.
Speaker 4: We got two locations in Los Angeles, Fox Heals Mall.
Speaker 2: I don't know if y'all know about the Fox Heals Mall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, your parents probably shocked there right and you know about Paul I was Crenshaw Mall.
Speaker 2: So we got to the store. We also have a website, Elite books dot com. We we share nation why. We also have social media. Now, I don't know some of y'all got phoned, some of y'all don't.
Speaker 1: But you welcome to follow us because we got great content, show content that matters, content that's inspiring.
Speaker 2: And so it's Elite Books. If you got it's the Grand.
Speaker 4: If you got TikTok, you know, Malik Books is our tag, So hey follow us. We appreciate that but today it's all about you. Today, it's about giving to you because books make readers make leaders. See what I'm saying, because readers our leader, and books open up a whole new world of life for you.
Speaker 1: We want you. Now, how many in here love to read? How many raise your hands? That should be everybody? Come on, now, raise your hand. Let me tell you something. If you don't have your hand up, that's all right, because our job is to make sure that one day you do love to read. All of y'all look at the ones that don't have their hands raised, And it's called each one, teach one, all right, Your job responsibility to help your friend.
Speaker 4: To love to read, just like you. Right, You got to help your friends. You got to inspire your friends, all right. We gotta inspire each other to help each other. Is that right. Let's not inspire each other to do things against what mommy and daddy and your teachers say.
Speaker 2: Let's inspire. Let's inspire each.
Speaker 4: Other to do things to help each other to be better, all right, So.
Speaker 2: Help your friend. Each one, teach one say that. Let's say it again. The one teacher.
Speaker 1: That's so with that, I just want to thank the school, Thank the teachers, Thank the parents for this wonderful Thank Black Infinity Group and Piskey Media Media Court for this opportunity to be able to sponsor these books to you in partnership with Elite Books. And so we're gonna transition from here, one class at.
Speaker 2: A time to get your book all right.
Speaker 1: Now, we have other books for sale for later on when your parents give of you've got some money.
Speaker 2: But right now, we got some books out here for you.
Speaker 4: And so your teachers is going to bring you out one by one, and we probably want have some story time too, so we have our can we have someone coming to read.
Speaker 2: Some some books to you as well. We're gonna make it fun, We're gonna make it entertaining, and we're gonna have a good time. Right, Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 6: All right, I'm trying to help you to find you.
Speaker 2: You is in you. Let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: Every time you step out here and you run, you're running against yourself. Every time you go in class, you're studying against yourself. Every time you running the track meet, you're still running against yourself, even when other people are there. I'm trying to you, I'm trying to get you to discover you, and I'm trying to believe in you until.
Speaker 2: You believe in yourself.
Speaker 1: I don't expect you to have understanding like an adult, but I do know that you can have understanding as you get older, and right now, y'all at an age and the way you can understand when I'm trying to teach you out here, you got to believe in you. You got to push you, you got to step into you. And I don't see that. And that's what makes me frustrating because I keep repeating the same thing over and over.
Speaker 2: You're competing against yourself. I'm not gonna give you no time whatsoever to run.
Speaker 1: That I don't think is unrealistic. I'm not giving you times unrealistic. But you gotta believe in what we're doing here. And that's what I don't see. You ran ten seconds off that time because you don't believe what you're laughing at. What's the smile about. You're competing against you. There's nothing funny here.
Speaker 2: Take this serious. This is serious work.
Speaker 1: It's gonna hurt if you run slow. So why not get a benefit. Why not get a benefit by pushing yourself? Why not get a benefit by running the times. The difference between you and animals. When they race a horse, they beat him and he spink. He don't have no intelligence like a human, so they run them.
Speaker 2: I'm not out here just to run you.
Speaker 1: I'm out here to teach you, cultivate you, elevate you, teach you, understand you, and you not listening because.
Speaker 2: I'm not interested in tactics. This is my strategy.
Speaker 1: Did you run this sprint all out, all out, one hundred percent? You blasted, and you try to hold on a fight until you hit the finish line.
Speaker 2: That takes mental ability. When you getting when you feel yourself getting fatigued, you got to say I can go faster.
Speaker 1: When you feel yourself getting slow, you gotta say I gotta go fast. The key is just to pump your arm fast, pump your arms, violent, pump your arms.
Speaker 3: That's how you pick it up as a sprinter.
Speaker 2: The legs go as fast as you pump your arms. So when you get tired and you get fatigued.
Speaker 1: Start plumping them on finally, start pumping them arms finally, so you can at least maintain your speed because your.
Speaker 2: Body is decelerating.
Speaker 1: But in the beginning it's as celebrating and we need to pump violently so that we can get our speed up.
Speaker 2: And then we want to hold it. We gotta hold it and listen.
Speaker 1: The march that remind you is that when you get into the curve, hit it again.
Speaker 2: When you come out the curve, hit it again.
Speaker 1: Those are reminders while you're out here, be you, step into you.
Speaker 2: That's all I gotta say.
Speaker 1: Man. My book review for this episode is a book that I had the pleasure of reading called The Good Mom's God to Making Bad Choices. Let me tell you a little bit about this book written by Erica Dickinson.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: That is Eric Dickinson's daughter. She is the daughter of the Pony Express on the La Rams.
Speaker 1: When she teamed up with her partner best friend, Erica Matt and they wrote this book called The Good Mom's Guide to Making Bad Choices. Now they have a podcast called Good Mom's Bad Choices, and they're in the one percent in terms of podcasts in the world. They're in the one percentile, so they have a lot of listeners. And what typically they wrote about the book is pretty much what they talk about on the podcast. Simply, they challenge the traditional definition of motherhood and so they wrote a book of their experiences in trying to find the balance of being a mother but also not neglecting themselves, still in time to enjoy themselves without feeling guilty because they want to love themselves and beat themselves and yet still be a good mom. And so it's the definition of a bad mom who does everything. Do the homework with the kids, cook them the meals, read them bedtime stories, tell them, I Love you, hug them, kiss them, take.
Speaker 2: Them out on dates.
Speaker 3: But yet they you know, they smoke a little weed, or they want to take retreats with girls and have a good time, or want to be single instead of being in a toxic relationship.
Speaker 1: So my two beloved sisters wrote this book as the olive branch to other mothers out there trying to figure it out. There are very few books out there on the market, as they stated, that talk about when you become a mom, the challenge is that you're gonna face being a mom.
Speaker 2: You know, spirits is the best teacher.
Speaker 1: So when you you know, being really you get pregnant, you have a baby, you know, then a lot of things change drastically, And they point that out and them trying to be you know, be a mother, be in a relationship that you know toxic, what's the right decisions how to deal with that, going through drama and also losing themselves in the process and feeling shame, feeling guilt, feeling not worthy, no one there to really.
Speaker 2: Help when the man falls out.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just a lot of things can happen in these relationships when really no one knows themselves.
Speaker 2: And the journey to self is number one.
Speaker 1: So they point out that, you know, get to know yourself and love yourself. But at the same time, you still can be a good mom, even if it's not a traditional definition of what a good mom is. So hey, all I'm saying, the good mom's god to making bad choices.
Speaker 2: Good be the book mothers.
Speaker 7: And brothers need to read in order to have a healthier and more positive relationship with you, with your kids, with your community, with each other.
Speaker 1: So all I'm saying is, hey, they get personal, they talk about their personal trauma, they talk about their personal journey while being a mother. And then, like I said, there are very few books out there like that from a perspective from the community or.
Speaker 2: Pick up your copy on Malik books.
Speaker 1: We still have signed copies with a personal message in there for you, or you can pick up a copy wherever books are sold. Thanks for listening to Malak's Bookshelf, where topics on the shelf are books, culture, and community.
Speaker 2: Be sure to subscribe and.
Speaker 1: Leave me a review. Check out my Instagram at Malak Books. See you next time.