Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where now would be a great time for our Midwest Laces to stop by the Diana Tarasi bench in Door County, Wisconsin to pay homage to the newest member of the Mercury Ring of Honor. It's Friday, August fourteenth, and on today's show, we're joined by Golden State Valkyrie standout Veronica Burton. We talk about her breakout season last year, believing in herself during her lean years in the league, coach Natalie Nicasse's no A holes policy, and the magic of Balhalla, plus a well uh kind of statement, a sixteen year streak continues, and an annoying reminder that we still have to consider the men. It's all coming up right after this welcome back Slice's here's what you need to know today. Let's start with soccer and four games on the schedule in the NWSL tonight, including a matchup between top of the table got the FC and Ted Lasso's favorite squad, the seventh place Kansas City Current. The Current have put up a win, a loss, and two draws in their four games without superstar Temwa Shwenga, who's been busy leading her Malawi team at WAFCAN. More on that in a moment. In the meantime, another Casey star has shined. Last weekend, midfielder Dubinya scored her eighty third career goal across all NWSL competitions, good for first place on the NWSL's all time scoring leader board, breaking her tie with the Seattle Rains lynd Biandolo, who's currently on maternity leave. There are two more NWSL games on Saturday and also a pair on Sunday. More soccer. The aforementioned Temwa and her sister Tabitha Shweinga led the way from Malawi in the Wafcon semifinals on Wednesday, helping the Scorchers to a three one victory over Algeria. Tabitha scored twice and Temwa once, and Malawi, ranked one hundred and fifty third in the world entering the tournament, earned a spot in the WAFCAN Final, the first teams in South Africa's men in nineteen ninety six to reach the African Cup of Nations final in their debut tournament. Malawi will meet Cameroon in the final on Sunday. After the Indimitable Lioness's upset host Morocco three to one on penalties. To Lacrosse, where we've reached the inaugural Women's Lacrosse League Championship weekend, The Maryland charm and the California Palms will go head to head for the trophy on Saturday at five pm Eastern at Subaru Park in Philadelphia. You can catch that game on ESPN. To the WNBA, there are two games on the slate tonight, starting with the Indiana Fever hosting the Dallas Wings at Gainbridge Field House a seven thirty pm Eastern tip off. The Fever of won seven of their last nine games, while the Wings have struggled, going three and six in their last nine, though they did manage a ninety four eighty eight win over the Toronto Tempo Wednesday night to end their three game skid. Another must watch on Saturday, when the league best Minnesota Lynks take on the defending champion Las Vegas aces and eight pm Eastern start. And on Sunday, three time WNBA champion and WNBA all time leading scorer Diana Tarassi will be inducted into the Mercury Ring of Honor ahead of their contest with the Portland Fire a seven pm Eastern tip off. Tarassi's jersey will be officially retired, joining Cheryl Miller, Jennifer Gillum, Bridget Pettis, Michelle Tims, and Tarossi's wife, Penny Taylor more w On Wednesday, a WNBA task force of team presidents and gms met and in a statement to ESPN, the league said, quote, Today's meeting covered a wide range of topics, including ongoing discussions on transgender athletes and the continued hate and vitriol directed at players online. We will continue to engage all league stakeholders in the coming weeks and months. We will approach these important conversations thoughtfully and in alignment with the values of our league. There are no immediate eligibility matters affecting the WNBA, and we strongly denounce the bad faith efforts to use these topics to demean or marginalize others. End quote to the PWHL slash MNBA, slash MLBS slash WNBA slash I guess the whole world of sports business. On Wednesday, news broke that multi pro sports team owner Mark Walter had agreed to sell the mnba's Los Angeles Lakers to New ownership. It's an eyebrow raising move, both because of the price, a twelve point five billion dollar valuation, the timing just over a year after Walter purchased the team for ten billion, and the identity of the buyers former Disney CEO and Angel City controlling owner Bob Eiger, along with venture capitalist Josh Kushner. Yes Kushner, as in the brother in law of Evanka Trump, who's married to Josh's brother Jared. The twelve and a half billion dollar sale will break the record for the most money ever paid for an American sports franchise, and the timing. Just last month, Bloomberg Law reported that Walter's investment firm, Guggenheim Partners, was under federal investigation due to suspicious accounting. And there's the fact that Josh Kushner runs Thrive Capital, the investment fund that FIFA wanted to sell a minority stake to for four point two billion dollars just last week, a proposal that immediately blew up in FIFA President Johnny and Fantino's face when key stakeholders threatened to boycott if the plan went through. Anyway, I know, oh what a lot of you are thinking. Right now, Sarah, why are we talking about the sale of a men's team. This is a women's sports podcast. Well, a reminder that Mark Walter is also the majority owner of the PWHL, still run under a single entity model. Oh and Walter is also the controlling owner of the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks, which weren't included in the sale of the Lakers. All that to say, whenever Walter's name comes up, whether because of his ownership of the LA Dodgers or till now the Lakers, or because of those accusations of fraud, we pay attention. We'll keep you posted as we learn more about the sale details to swimming, The biggest swim meet of the year, the Pan Pacific Championship Scott underwe on Wednesday in Irvine, California. The competition, which features athletes from North and South America, Asia and Oceana, is held every four years at the midway point between Olympic Games. In a surprise to no one, US star Katie Ledecki opened the meet with a win in the fifteen hundred meter race, continuing her sixteen year winds treak in the event. Sixteen years y'all, what was surprising seeing the second place finisher in the same frame as Ladeki. At the finish, Aussie Lanni Pallister touched the wall just two point five to three seconds after Ladeki, marking Ladeki's closest finish in the event at an international competition since twenty thirteen. Other highlights from the first couple of days of competition include Gretchen Walsh winning the five hundred meter butterfly and Tmusa winning the four by one hundred mixed gender medley relay in world record time. The competition continues through Saturday, but the most anticipated race is later today, the women's four hundred meter final, which is expected to feature Canada's Summer Macintosh, the current four hundred meter world record holder, taking on Ladeki, who is a four time world champion and former world record holder at the distance. To the Sliding Sports World and Friend of the Show, Alana Meyers Taylor, the most decorated black athlete in Winter Olympic history, and Milan Courtino Mono Bob gold medallist, revealed on Wednesday she's been dealing with post concussion symptoms for the past few months and will miss the upcoming World Cup season, which runs November to March. Meyers Taylor, who has dealt with this issue in the past, wrote in a social media post, quote, if all goes well, I hope to be back in a sled before the end of the winter season, but time will tell end quote. We're sending you our best, Elana as you navigate this. Finally, in baseball, don't forget there are four WPBL games this weekend down in Springfield, Illinois. Friend of the show Kelsey Whitmore's coming off with three home run performance on Wednesday night that helped her San Francisco fire Bells defeat the Los Angeles Queens eight to two. Those two teams will face off again tonight. We're going to take a break when we come back. Keeping the faith with Veronica Burton. We spoke to her on Tuesday, the day before the Valks faced the Chicago Sky joining us. Now, she's a guard for the Golden State Valkyries and lifted the twenty twenty six Unrivaled Trophy with the mist a Northwestern Hooper. She was the seventh overall pick in the twenty twenty two WNBA draft by the Della Swings, played two seasons there and a season with the Connecticut Sun before the Valkyrie snagged her in the expansion draft for their inaugural season. Last year, she averaged career highs and earned WNBA Most Improved Player and All Defensive honors. Last season, Ink to multi year deal with the Valks and has helped them to one of the best records in the league. So far. This year, she's been inducted to the Good Game Hall of Fame. It's Veronica Burton. Veronica, thanks for joining.
Speaker 2: Us, of course, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: If you're not a regular listener, which I'm sure you are in your free time, I want to tell you about the Good Game Hall of Fame. It's where we induct mostly women's sports lore, the kind of things we know about from the men's side but don't get talked about or shared enough on the women's side, and it's usually goofy stuff. But we made an exception for you, and here's a little bit of what I said about you when we inducted you into the Good Game Hall of Fame. In her first three seasons, she never averaged more than three points per game, playing fifteen minutes or fewer per night. She made just one start for the Sun. In twenty twenty four, after spending the off season playing in the WNBL in Australia, she arrived at Golden State Valkyries camp and got her breakout year. In November, she won gold in the Three America and in early December she joined her first Team USA training camp. The Globe was crazy for Veronica, and I'm kind of like exhilarated and exhausted just reading it and thinking about the journey that you've taken to get to here, And I wonder what you make of the last year or two if you actually sit and think about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly, I mean, I think it definitely is something that I try and process in real time and I try and be super like present, which is easier said than done. I think it's it's been a whirlwind and for me just appreciating every single moment. I think being in and out of the league a little bit like there's a different level of gratitude that I have every time I am experiencing something in this league or for Team USA or unrivaled whatever it may be. I think I am just extra aware and extra present of the moments of even the little moments with teammates in a locker room, like being there on a season open air, whatever it may be. I think that's kind of my biggest thing is just like, man, I'm just so great even the hard days, like it's really don't get me long.
Speaker 2: The seasons get long.
Speaker 3: And there's days where you just don't want to be there, but I do feel like there's just been a different level of appreciation. And then you know, winning always makes things better, and so to be able to be in different moments and win, that's just been amazing.
Speaker 1: I love to hear that because it's such a great perspective and it's so true. You know, when you're in the middle of great times and someone says the lowest times were actually the best for me because it made me and you're like, oh, okay, well, that's a nice way to reframe failure. But it is true that some of the hardest things we go through ultimately allow us to see the successes through different eyes, and they mean more when it doesn't feel easy and it wasn't easy for you, And I wonder, in those moments of the early years, did you think you could be so much better or was there a part of you is like I guess this is my ceiling. The w's hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit of both. Honestly, I think it depended on the day that you asked me. I was either super motivated, super super driven, and like everything's going to work out, and then on any other day it was like, well, if this is for me, it's for me.
Speaker 2: If it's not, I'll be good either way.
Speaker 3: I definitely had moments where I knew I wasn't playing how I could play like. I think that was the almost refreshing thing, but also the more frustrating part was just like I know I'm a lot better than what I'm playing.
Speaker 2: So how I get there?
Speaker 3: I'm not exactly sure, but at least I know that this isn't the best that I could be playing, But I didn't know if the WNBA was necessarily going to be for me. I think that was like the back and forth was just am I ever going to get the opportunity?
Speaker 2: And am I ever going to grow and play how I can play?
Speaker 3: So I would go back and forth with that, and honestly, from a mental standpoint, I think it was just moments where I was content with not playing or content with my role of this is what it's going to look like for me. And then there's other times where it's like, no, I'm gonna I'm gonna find a way to make make it bigger and have a bigger impact. And so I think eventually that went out, that mindset went out, and I'm grateful it did.
Speaker 2: But again, opportunity, I think really is the biggest thing in this league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's a couple of ways to look at it. I haven't been given the right opportunity or these people don't see in me what I see, or this isn't the right coach for me, or this isn't the right fit for me, or what do I need to personally do to get better? And usually it's a combination of all those things. So what do you think went right for you personally when you got to the Belks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely fit in culture.
Speaker 3: I'm a very big relationships person, and I think I play my best basketball when I feel valued and trusted in a sense, when I feel like one, I'm able to make mistakes. That was one thing that coach Natalie they want a training camp right first year was I want, like, I literally want.
Speaker 2: You guys to make mistakes.
Speaker 3: And I know everyone says that but I really don't care, and I can just feel the genuineness with which she said that, And for me, that was refreshing because I didn't always feel that in the places I was before. And sometimes it's just the reality of your situation too and your role. You know, your leash isn't as long in certain places, and I mean, that's pros, that's basketball at sports. But I think going in with that mindset where it was just like, I'm not afraid to mess up really shifted things for me because that's just a freedom that I hadn't had.
Speaker 2: And eventually, you.
Speaker 3: Know, my relationship with coach grew and my relationship with my teammates grew, and I just felt like, Okay, I can really be me and I feel what I bring is valued and so and then coming off the WNBL Championship and coming off playing a really solid season on Australia, like, I think I just had that momentum and I just didn't want to let go of that. So again, I do think it's a combination of the two. But I think I noticed really early that it was going to be different in Golden State for me than it had in the other places.
Speaker 1: I love what I've read about how coach Natalie Nicasse coaches between that I want you to make mistakes and play free to what there's a great profile by I think Brian Hamilton and The Athletic recently talking about how she has a real conversation with players and says like, what do you want for me? Do you want me to ride you? Do you want me to compliment you? Do you want me to be specific about, you know, skill sets that you need to work on? Or do you want me to think bigger picture? And like having that back and forth with players so she can give them what they really need instead of her guessing you're so smart seems really obvious. It's not the approach a lot of coaches take. So tell me about coach, Like what does she do well and what seems to be working with this team?
Speaker 2: She does a lot well.
Speaker 3: Again, I think just her ability one to relate to us and to know like the things that we struggle with and to know that people can overthink a misshot and like so she gives the reassurance where you need it. Honestly, it's like I don't care if you miss Like what I do care about is if you're not talking. What I do care about is if you're not defending your boxing out, So it's like it's a give and take. You know, we have to meet her too, and her expectations of us are very high, and she doesn't slip in her standard of that, but it's just understanding what that standard is. And we know, like we're doing our part when we're going hard, when we're communicating, when we're playing defense and stuff like that, and that's in our control.
Speaker 2: And so I think that.
Speaker 3: Is something, especially with the people that they brought into Golden State, like that's something that we could all buy into and resonate with. And so I think that's just been a really healthy balance and healthy culture.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, her.
Speaker 3: Ability to challenge us, I mean, honestly, especially as a point guard, she expects a lot out of me, out of our point guards, out of our team, and she'll be straight up with that and she won't shy away from that. But she's also there to help us in any moment that we need her, and we have just such like the healthy balance of being able to go to her and she's very open in the sense of just look, I'm this is my first time being a head coach too in the w so it's like we're both we're all growing together and it's been really cool to see that humility from her.
Speaker 1: She has to know a holes policy, which is one of my favorite kind of policies. It starts with day one, when before day one, it starts with who you hire and who you recruit and who you draft and all of that. But it's an ongoing policy. Right at some point somebody could be an a hole when they're usually not. Have you ever seen her enforced said policy in a meaningful way or have you ever had a moment where it became clear someone had crossed the able threshold and she had to step in and say, that's not how we do it here.
Speaker 3: I honestly don't even think they'll bring in people and like it sounds, I don't know, like a superiority type of complex, but it's not like I think the culture is so protected in a sense that you just know how it is and it's, yeah, it is a little bit like get on board or get left behind, And I think that's just been set from day one. And we were really fortunate with our inaugural season roster, like it just wasn't even close, like we.
Speaker 2: All just loved on each other. We build each other up.
Speaker 3: And with that, I think the tone was just set and they continue to seek out people that match that and that fit that. So she's well aware of it. I think she really is observant of people before they even step foot in the door.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, it's fun. It makes it fun.
Speaker 1: I would love to see the draft board or like the waiver wire board and just like next to a name, no description, you can't grab her ass whole. She wouldn't say it, but I know she wouldn't. But what's something about coach that might surprise us? Tell us something we don't know about Coach Nakasse? Secret hidden fact.
Speaker 2: Secret hidden fact?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like she might watch this and I might get caught up. She can dance. I don't know if that's secret. She can dance a little.
Speaker 3: She doesn't dance often, she probably won't dance for anyone else, but she can dance.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got to find the footage now, Yeah, that's my goal. Well, you talked about creating culture, and obviously President Jess Smith GM mohamma nin and have this incredible idea of what they wanted to put together. But there were a lot of doubts last year when the Valk squad started, myself included. I was surprised also that there weren't more big name free agents that wanted to take a chance on the place, the venues, the facilities, everything else, the fan base. But the first expansion team to make the postseason in their first year? What went right last year? And how long did it take for you to say, Oh, they know what they're doing, Like this is not by chance.
Speaker 3: I would say early on, I felt confident. I felt confident going in honestly when we were first drafted. When I was first drafted, I think even in my own mind, I kind of had shifted my mindset of like I'm going to attack this opportunity. And I think I came in with a confidence that I was excited. I love a good underdog story label, whatever it may be. I think when you come in with that chip on your shoulder, like I think it would be foolish for.
Speaker 2: Us to have expected anything less.
Speaker 3: And when we went into training camp, it was just like we had a plan and set, and we had goals in mind, and we had a culture that we believed in and at the end of.
Speaker 2: The day, we're all WNBA players. I tell that people all the time.
Speaker 3: I think there's this idea that players on the end of a WNBA team or at the end of the bench like can't compete, And I think that's like one of the oldest lies in the book, because you give people opportunity and the skill set is there.
Speaker 2: It is so hard to make this league. It is so hard to play in the WNBA.
Speaker 3: Like, people that don't play are still very good basketball players, and so when you give them a chance, and a lot of those players have honestly been out working a lot of starters, you know they want it, and so I just felt really confident that. And then you have the buy in from the organization. You have the fans that are showing up every night, and just I think the investment from top down like was through the roof and it's continued to bleed into this season and it's just been really fun. So I know, we didn't necessarily have the big names, and people can argue that we still don't necessarily have the big names, but I just.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I guess I don't understand that part.
Speaker 1: It's a team. It's a team, and the pieces were picked with intention and sometimes that's more important than having big names. It's what works well together, and then coaching and everything else. A little bit of a new look roster this year. You added some good first time All Star Gabby Williams, veteran Kia Stokes. How does this season feel different from a team perspective, particularly with maybe more expectations after that playoff run last year?
Speaker 3: Just coming in, I think being able to turn the page was a big thing for us, and there was so much hype and there was so much joy and like there was a lot of accomplishment last year, but at the end of the day, we were the eighth seed and like we got knocked off in the first round.
Speaker 2: So it was great that we made the playoffs and it was historical and we don't take.
Speaker 1: That that's so much a playoff run so much as appearance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, literally, which was again an accomplishment in and of itself, but like that's not the goal for any of us at the end of the day, that's not the end goal at least, and so it was we have way more now like to build on and no one cares what we did last year, if anything, that's a bigger target on our back, and so how and what are we going to do this season to like build on that, And then obviously bringing in Gabby Williams and Kia Stokes, like two incredible players, two incredible veterans with experience that again only add to our culture and really just continue to build people up. And then just some dogs on the court. I think Gabby is an incredible player that has been overlooked so much in her career, is still overlooked, but she's one of the most selfless players I've ever played with, and she's the fearless leader, and so I think she's just really taken this role. And she says it herself that it's a newer role for her, but she's completely bought into it and it's been really fun to see her thrive. And then Kia, Like I can't say enough about Kia because to come in and do what she's done for us, Like she's the backbone of our defense. She covers for us, covers for me all the time, and I think she just sets more screens than anyone has is what second in the league in block shots, and like I think coming in even with her obviously with her role, I don't think she necessarily knew that it was going to look the way it was with Iliana missing this season. So it's just been really cool to see like again. And that's where opportunity is the biggest thing. I think Ka has exceeded, maybe not expectations within our locker room because we knew what she was capable of, but the outside for sure, and I think it's been really cool to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you talked about both of them stepping into roles. Maybe they didn't anticipate or haven't played before. That's the same for you. You have bigger expectations, bigger leadership role than you've had in your career before. How does it feel different for you personally at the start of this season, maybe one of the first times except for back in college, where you came in and thought, oh, I'm I'm really important to this team's success and everyone's going to be looking to me.
Speaker 3: It was definitely different for me knowing I'm going to be you know, I think my first three years the scouting report, I was maybe hardly on it, and so it's an adjustment in terms of page two. Yeah, yeah, if that and so I think it's definitely an adjustment of just understanding defenses, like I'm not going to surprise anyone in that and continuing.
Speaker 2: To get better.
Speaker 3: I think that was a big goal of mine, you know, I didn't want to become complacent in any way, shape or form, and finding new ways to score and my efficiency like continues to.
Speaker 2: Need to get better and so.
Speaker 3: But from a leadership point, I think I've always considered myself a solid leader. I think that's something you know, at the point guard position, you have to be pretty familiar with or comfortable with being vocal.
Speaker 2: But I guess I.
Speaker 3: Didn't realize how much room for growth there was because even over the course of this season, just the ways that I've been challenged and just the ways I've been out of my comfort zone. Like it's not necessarily in my comfort zone to be the loudest in the gym or the one getting on people holding everyone accountable, Like I think I'm a very I can be loud, but I'm not the most extroverted.
Speaker 2: I'm very I.
Speaker 3: Like to think kind like it's not just in my comfort zone to just get on people. And that's where Coach has really challenged me, and that She's always just saying leaders don't get a day off, and I don't get a day off to be a leader, And so I think just getting more and more comfortable and confident in that role, and especially coming in day one, being that, I think last year, over the course of the season, you know, I found myself okay, like maybe I'm a leader on this team or maybe this Whereas day one, like first day training camp, people are looking to what I have to say, and that.
Speaker 1: Was different for me. For the folks who haven't made it out to Balhalla yet, tell them what they're missing.
Speaker 2: They're missing so much. Balhalla is insane.
Speaker 3: I really like I try and tell everyone to come to a game in Balhalla because the energy is incredible. It feels like a whole party. But they're really into the game, like they even the little plays, the little moments we get a deflection, the whole place erupts.
Speaker 2: So it just makes it really fun and I think it.
Speaker 3: Allows us to just play with a level of pride, to protect home court even more. And they just are so loyal even in the ups and downs the last season, the ups and downs of this season, you know, I think they're just continuing to show up for us.
Speaker 2: And it's just really enjoyable. Like I love playing there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really fun. I got to get back. I came to the first game ever and I was didn't realize it was going to be like that every night, and it has, which is too wild. There are so many master strokes from this front office team, the marketing and content team, everybody at the Valkyrie franchise has really set a new bar. The first billion dollar valuation for women's professional sports team. So well run, great marketing, merch promotions, game day experience, it's all stuff that the media notices, that fans notice. I wonder how it impacts the players being part of that ecosystem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it just completely makes our lives easier. I think when you again have that level of investment and you know, every kind of position is just elite, it just makes our job just to show up and play basketball even easier. And just you see it, like we were successful in so many different ways because of it, and so many people are willing to sacrifice the time, the energy, the effort to one make us look good off the court, which is.
Speaker 2: Not always the easiest thing to do.
Speaker 3: And you know, when you have WNBA players or any athlete really like they may not always want to, you know, do the social media or do the appearance or maybe like aren't always comfortable on that.
Speaker 2: But when you have people.
Speaker 3: Behind the scenes just always putting us in positions to look good, I think that really goes a long way. And from merchandise to all of that, Like we get hooked up, we get our people hooked up, and then it just continues to trickle down and so we're really grateful. Honestly, I've been Now this is my third organization, and I hate to compare, but I really just like it's been incredible, honestly, and it is. It shows it sets the tone of what hopefully future expansion teams continue to come in and look like.
Speaker 2: And you just feel like a true professional here. So it's a big shout out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, if you feel valued, you want to give back and do for that team because they make you feel good. And it's simple, but it's maybe harder for some, especially in the old days with financial restraints, but even some of the older teams that still carry over these old fashioned ideas of what it looks like. KEYA. Stokes mentioned in that Athletic article that I talked about that she you know, offhand said she wasn't a good sleeper. So they started talking about different comforters, different mattresses, magnesium packets. Gabby Williams had an old nine year old cat that needed taking care of until the team helped so she could focus on basketball. Do you have a story like that of something that they just took off your plate and it wouldn't feel connected to basketball, but ultimately what it does is let you just be a basketball player.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a good question. Off the top of my head, I would just say travel. Like I think even even in the off season, I feel like I wouldn't expect travel to be so well taken care of and like accommodating even coming into market coming off of market, but just they're like super intentional about making sure your travel into market out of market is well taken care of, getting my car shipped here, like little things like that where it's just like it's an exhil for me, because it's not always that simple.
Speaker 1: Yeah. After the new CBA was ratified, it really increased salaries for players and helped make your lives easier, and some wondered if the league would feel different. Does it feel different to you now that players are making double triple what they were making before, Yes.
Speaker 3: And no, I mean I do believe that you feel. I mean it's a breath of fresh air and the sense of like so much that has gone into it, and like we put so much time and sacrifice into our bodies and everything with that that I think like now it's just a big wow, like we have taken such a big step. And then at the same time, I think it what's so cool about the WNBA and WNBA players is like we're going to compete whether we weren't making much or whether we're making a lot, and so the level of competition has only continued to grow, and I think that's been pretty cool. Is like the professionalism in terms of competing on the court, Like that's not going to change in terms of money because they got a bag. No, yeah, exactly so, and as we shouldn't. And I think that's the pretty cool thing about it, Like there's only so many games right now, and so just continuing to compete at the highest level.
Speaker 1: And there's still a lot to prove and there's still a lot of people that haven't bought in even though the landscape is changing. Let's talk about I mean the media coverage, the explosion of interest in the league. It brings so much good, it also brings a lot of bad. And there's also still a lot of mainstream coverage that's missing, which means the internet remains a place for women's basketball fans to go and feel like that's where the conversation's happening, which can be great and can also mean a lot of gossip, the sort of wild wild West of online discourse. Are you a reader of comments? Are you a reader of Reddit threads? Are you someone who gets into what people are saying about the league? Or no?
Speaker 3: No, I mean I'm definitely there's an awareness for sure, some moments more than others. I think I've definitely, especially this year, kind of tried to lay off of that, like getting off Twitter, getting off of some place that just like they're not serving me. And it's interesting for me because like I have a family full of media, and my dad is a sports broadcaster, my sister covers the Celtics, So like, I really do have an appreciation for the media, and I've always had that, and so.
Speaker 2: You, of course, yeah, like I really believe that we need to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I really do, and I see like the sacrifice that goes into it, and especially before the w is what it has been like, that's what has.
Speaker 2: Put us on the map for so long.
Speaker 3: So it's it stinks that like there's almost this like headbutting and I've been just like thinking about that a little bit, and I understand there's a responsibility on both sides when it comes to media, and I see the power that media holds and I see the good that media can do, and so I think that's where it's like, let's get back to that. Like I see the beautiful stories that get told and the building people up that comes from media, and of course social media you can't control it, but I think that's where there can be just a better relationship between players and media members and hopefully the trust can get built. And because I really do, I don't know, I just have a different perspective of that, and I really do have an appreciation for that, but I also understand, you know, maybe there's moments where the trust isn't there because of the specific headlines and storylines that are getting told, and it's tough. I think it's even caused like what looks like a division within our league, and I think there's such a sisterhood and there's such a love and great relationships within this league and friendships that we literally would not have, and that those are getting overlooked now for a lot of negativity. So it stincts, but I hope we can kind of get to a point where we're showing those stories because again, there's such great people in this league and relationships and friendships and people that never would have met that are coming together, and that remains even despite all of what's happening.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean, it's the cost of the way that the Internet drives engagement. Now it's not just the W, although it feels particularly fraught the W because there's a lack of the other kind of coverage, so that's what leads the way. But yeah, I mean, I hope and I know the W in the past has tried this, but I hope they continue to try to set up relationships with the real media that's covering in a fair way so that players can at least know which outlets and people to trust and use them to help build their brands and their platform as opposed to kind of mushing it all up together, where like that thing on the internet is not the media, that's a rando that put w in me inside her account, and they're just expreading bullshit that ain't us. But I get why it's hard a couple ask questions for it. You mentioned your dad, and I was reading about you and your whole damn family are insane athletes. Your mom was an All American and Big Ten champ in swimming at Northwestern. Your dad was a quarterback there. Your sisters both played college basketball, your brother played college football. Your grandpa played football for Northwestern and in the AFL and as a College Football Hall of Famer. So I'm trying to picture young Veronica, and I am seeing like a two year old with a ball, a bat, and a swim cap already? Is that what was happening?
Speaker 2: That was pretty much it. Honestly day one, I was thrown into the whole mix.
Speaker 1: So it was which one stuck? I mean obviously basketball, But did anything else stick early that you thought you might pursue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, swimming went out quickly. I will say that, Oh okay, swimming wasn't. Yeah it wasn't. I mean, I can swim, and I love it, I know, but I think it was for the best.
Speaker 1: You know, we have a lot of hair.
Speaker 3: It wasn't necessarily easiest with the chlorine. So I would say lacrosse. Actually, ironically, no one else in my family really played lacrosse, but being on the East Coast growing up, like I loved lacrosse, So it was really lacrosse in basketball, a little bit of track.
Speaker 2: I ran the mile and track and I.
Speaker 3: Was solid at it, but I just didn't like it, like it was not enjoyable to me.
Speaker 2: But come eighth grade.
Speaker 3: I played lacrosse up until eighth grade, and my dad was like, look, it's a spring sport.
Speaker 2: You got to make a decision because it's interfering with au.
Speaker 3: And really I didn't have much of a say in the decision because they didn't like watching an outdoor sport for too long. So it became basketball and I loved it, and then I was able to play one more year of lacrosse my senior year of high school, and I had so much Yeah, and I always say I would try and walk on at Northwestern. If I didn't pursue a professional last well career, I don't think I would have been able to do.
Speaker 2: They were really good, but that would have been a goal.
Speaker 1: Did your parents ever regret that when you were doing like eight AAU games a day in an unair conditioned gym.
Speaker 2: Exactly. That's a good question for them.
Speaker 3: He also said that getting a full scholarship was a lot easier in basketball, so that.
Speaker 2: Was the fair fair but whatever.
Speaker 1: All right, Well we're talking about kids, so I have to ask you my friend's son. So my friend Mike and Joanna Maggie actually works for the Valks in the video and content team. They've got a son named Liam. He's five. He wears your jersey for every Valks game and he does running commentary. He knows all the players, all the rules. I've just seen this, yes on the internet. He just started posting him on Instagram. So it got me thinking because I was thinking how cool that is that there are little boys now that are watching every game and he's like, chee gee, oh that's not a foul. And he's five and he knows every player. I want to hear a story that you have from being in the Bay, being a part of that community in a meaningful way, because I know you went to the San Francisco Juvenile Justice Center in June. I know you probably have families and kiddos coming up to and telling you what you mean. It just feels like the val in particular are an incredible place in that community with a great opportunity. And I wonder if there's anything that stands out to you from the last year or two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would definitely say my experience being able to visit the Justice and Juvenile Center. I think that for me, I'm really strong in my faith and something within the Bible that talks about is just seeing the communities that maybe get overlooked a lot. And that was really big for me because I think that's a community that can maybe get you know, exiled or whatever, a lot of judgment being passed. And so I had talked with some of our communications people about you know, getting involved and that especially the youth like involved in that, and so that was just a big eye opener for me, and I was really grateful that I could able to connect and I think it was so cool to hear the different stories and to meet the different personalities and these are just kids like and just reinforcing the idea of a second chance and that this is not like where you're going to be, you know, right now if we're all stuck in some of our low moments or are low times, like, it's just not life. It's not the reality of life. And so I think that was really cool to just kind of again do something bigger than basketball.
Speaker 2: I love what I do, I.
Speaker 3: Love my job, but I think the biggest thing is that it provides a platform for me to be able to reach a bigger community and hopefully help out in whatever way I can. So to be able to get involved in that, and that's something that I hope to continue to stay involved in.
Speaker 2: But to just share a little bit about myself with.
Speaker 3: Them, and them, you know, tell me they can beat me one on one and me fight back a little bit and see them do some drills on the court, like it was really neat and so grateful for that.
Speaker 1: And your story's not the same, But who better delivered that message than someone who said, hey, look I got waived and here are now a superb player helping lead this team. It was so great to talk to you. No assholes policy is working here. So thanks for giving us some time.
Speaker 3: Of course, thank you for having me, Sarah.
Speaker 1: Thanks again to Veronica for taking the time and don't forget. You can now watch full length good game interviews on the Iheartwomen's Sports YouTube channel, so head on over and subscribe. We have to take another break when we return, put your v's up for v Welcome back, Slices. Time to send you into the weekend on a high note with a brand new segment called Friday Flowers, a chance to give an athlete, team, league exec, or fan a little bit of well deserved love. Today, we want to send some birthday flowers to Violet, the Golden State Valkyrie mascot and friend of the show and President of the Valkyries, Jess Smith. The duo celebrated their birthdays August eleventh and twelfth, respectively, with a joint disco the party at Wednesday night's game against the Chicago Sky Fans were encouraged to wear shiny, sparkly attire and were gifted violet colored BoA's and violet bobbleheads. So, Violet and Jess, we're sending you some birthday flowers. By the way, The idea for this great news segment came from a super Slice who preferred to remain nameless and not get any flowers of his own. Per se, but totally unrelatedly, we're going to link to your favorite women's sports calendar in the show notes just in case you haven't bookmarked it. Wink wink. We love that you're listening, but we wanted to get in the game every day too, So here's our good game play of the day. Keep sending those questions for the show ahead of our birthday party next week celebrating birthdays for me and Bianca and Alex's half birthday. You can email, leave a voicemail or a voice memo, Ama aba AUA, ask us anything more, slice work. Check out the great Brian Hamilton story on the Valkyries that I mentioned in my interview with Veronica. We'll link to it in the show notes. And finally, it's almost time for the return of the Good Game Movie Club. The next installment of Big Citrus and Chill will be an all timer in honor of the WPBL launching this summer. We're rewatching a league of their own, so do your own rewatch sometime in the next two weeks so you're ready to break it down with us. We always love to hear from you, so hit us up on email. Good Game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two O four fifty seventy and don't forget to subscribe. Rate and review, y'all. It's easy. Watch the Seattle Storms Kicks for Equality, rating five stars for making doing good look good review. You're gonna want to check out the one of a kind kicks the Storm players and Coach designed for their annual Kicks for Equality event, raising awareness for player causes. This year featured causes including black maternal health, mental health awareness, LGBTQ plus rights, and pet adoption. You can check out some of the sick designs on the Storm Instagram. We'll link to it in the show notes. Now it's your turn rate and review. Thanks for listening, See you next week. Good Game, Veronica, Good Game, Shawenga Sisters you to the A holes out there who created a need for a no A hole policy. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzi and Bianca Hillier. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Lucy Jones, Britney Martinez and Gianna Palmer. Production assistant from Avery Loftus and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain