Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 1: And when I find my ball in.
Speaker 2: A brid egg Frida egg, the dreaded Frida egg, Frida egg, fridagg bride egg, Lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Friday Golf Podcast. I am your host, Andy Johnson, and today this is a special. It is not going to be hosted by me. Uh, it will be hosted by Kevin van Volkenberg. H It is an interview with the great Colin Montgomery. I thoroughly enjoyed this interview. Lots of chuckle chuckle moments, lots of nitty gritty details from Monty, stories from yesteryear. This was a fantastic listen. This was a piece of content We thought about using a couple of different ways and it ended up just being a podcast, so we said, why don't we put it on here? So big thanks to Kevin, big thanks to Monty, and I hope everybody enjoys this episode of the Friday Golf Podcast and Kevin's interview with Colin Montgomery.
Speaker 1: Hi, Colin, Hello there, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm great. Thank you for joining me this morning.
Speaker 1: Absolutely fantastic. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You know, I've been a fan for a number of years and one of the things I love doing is reading Golf by our and so I found this recently and I was going through it and I thought, you know what, this would be a great chance to talk to Monty about, you know, his career and some of the stuff, because I feel like I almost feel like I'm a bit of a professor for the younger generation of golf fans because I could sort of educate them on some of the game grades who they might have missed a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's it is, it's it is. It is different nowadays. You know, they all come out of college and they're all looking similar, you know, with their hats on, and the way they play the game is very similar to the way that we used to play the game with feel. When you think of even a different generation than me, but the Travinos of this world, the Palmers, the Nicholas that you know, these guys that real feel players. Now it's a whole different game, isn't it. You know, it's a it's a three hundred and thirty bash and and uh and a wedge on and and and it's all about potting really, you know. Now it's it's it's used to be holding up a seven iron into into that right to left wind and all this sort of stuff. Now it's a bit of a bash. But hey, every sport changes, you know, every sport has changed, and and every sport is changing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you study the sort of greats of the game when you were young and coming up, you know in Glasgow and stuff.
Speaker 4: Did you at anything?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I didn't. I didn't look at any swings particularly. I was always interested in the guys that got the ball up and down. Uh Sevy I always I always admired Savy. In fact, at the Master's many many a time, and we miss him terribly, you know, but at the Masters, I remember watching him. Uh. We used to have the range across just beside uh, Magnolia Lane, there was a bunker on the left, on the left hand side. He drove up to the clubhouse and he used to spend a lot of time in there, and I used to watch him, and I used to sit there and watch him just as a spectator. Really, I was one of the hundreds of people that were just watching him, and I was playing in the tournament, and and I admired that sort of vision and that and that that that that charisma, you know, and that of trying to get that ball as close as possible from this indifferent lie. I think that was just a real talent, you know. So I watched him, but swinging the golf club not really, no, because mine was always quite unique and I had a very upright swing from from birth, really came out the cradles swinging the club upright, and it wasn't failing me at that stage. So I was one of these people that if it wasn't bossed, I don't want to fix it really, you know, because I heard so often and I'd played with a number of great players. Ronan Rafferty remember that name, who won the Order Merit back in eighty nine. There great player went to the led Better school. Not blaming led Beetter, but one of you know that type of idea, got very good, try to get better and didn't. David Fairty was another one that was a very good player, you know, that played nar RDI Cup team that went went that way as well. Howard Clark, a great player went that way, and I was I was always a bit no, no, no, don't please try try try. If this works, If this is what you've got and this works, stick with it, because it's a very dangerous road to go down because it might not work. Yes, it worked for Faldo, it worked for Nick Price, it worked for some players to change their swings. But I wasn't. I was never really one of those. No, no, yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: So my wife grew up in New Mexico and reading your biography, I saw you know you started that in New Mexico military attitude. I can't imagine knowing New Mexico at a place that feels more different than Glasgow, Scotland. How did you How did you end up there? And and I know this was the famous story about you sneaking out in the middle of the night, but what do you remember about the decision to essentially be like this is not for me.
Speaker 1: Well, my father was on business. My father was in cookies, Fox's biscuits we call them. We call them biscuits, you'd call them cookies. And he was over in America, in the Dallas area and was looking for because it was in the days before that the British used to go to university in America. You know, we never really used to go. There was nobody really that I was one of the first ones. Foald o'lyle went for a couple of months, I believe, but I was really looking for a degree, to be honest, and then if golf happened to be paying for it, great, you know, because because as in the Scottish team. So my father was on business in Dallas and heard about New Mexicano mil Interstitute. We got in touch with the with the the golf coach there, Lovely Fellow, and he went down out of season right, this was in the summer, so there was no there was nobody there. The school was closed really uh So we went around saw the facilities. As an ex military man himself, I thought this was this was great. The facilities were great, the practice facilities were super, the the accommodation, everything about the place. Okay, okay, you're off, so I said, okay, fine. I hadn't been myself, so so my first my first view of the of the of the military institute was it was of course when I when I arrived, and it was very different when I arrived to what he saw. It was very much more military. And although I had come from personally a military background, with my father being in the military here in here in the UK just after the war he was he was based in the Sewers Canal. He was in the Sewers crisis back in the back in the day. It was it was it was just too military, too quickly, right. It was the it was the all call at five thirty in the morning. It was the cold showers, it was the thing, and it was all very very too much. So no, it wasn't really for me. So so it was one of these things that that that that get getting out in the middle of the middle of the evening. It was. It was a bizarre sort of situation. How I got to Houston Baptist University. And it's it's in the book, but at the same time, you know, to hear it from from from word of mouth, you know, he said, right, okay, try and I said, look, it's not for me, Dad. I had to make a phone call. And and you know, when you're sort of stand in line for a phone call. There was no mobile phones in these days, there's no cell phones. It stood in line, put your ten cents in and off you go, and uh, you know, I said, okay, well look it's not for me, right, okay, what do you do? Okay, So get up to Albuquerque, which was the biggest city close by. It was about two hundred miles. It's not a four hour drive up. So I got a Greyhound bus. That wasn't. That wasn't the most pleasurable experience at night time, believe me, from Roswell to Albertquerque.
Speaker 4: Having been to Masca, I know that.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Well well this wasn't. This wasn't now as well, this was this was forty years you know, forty two years ago. My god, say so, I hope the boss has there had its day, believe me, it had its day. Then never mind, Now forgot to Albuquerque. I got to the airport at Albuquerque. It dropped me off at the airport and I looked at the screen. I looked at the screen, and Dad said to me, get to Albuquerque airport and give me a call and see what's what flight's available. So okay, okay, because there's no point I could have come home to Scotland. But I was in America. I was a long way away from home. I wanted my degree more than anything, and there was no really point home, nothing to come home too. As opposed to family, there was nothing. There was no job, there was no career as such. So I decided to stay American, and I got I looked at the screen and there was a choice. There was four flights. There was La San Francisco, there was Dallas, and there was Houston. And the first one, seven thirty in the morning was Houston. Yet on it. So I got to Houston, checked into the double tree in outside the airport at Houston. I remember, God, every time I fly in to Houston. I passed it on the way on the way out of the airport. It's still there, my God, never forget it forty two years ago, and stayed there, and he says, okay, we got to Houston, right, Okay, let me make some phone calls, you see. And it became it became very interesting, the phone call scenarios. Whereby a member of the golf club that that we were members of in Yorkshire at the time had a chaplain, a minister, and he was the chaplain of the astronauts that used to come over to train with our Royal Air Force. UH we had a we had a space program that you know alongside the US UH and our R e F trained train with their guys, and they came over and trained us. And he was the minister of the chaplain for the for the area. And he said, okay, said I know, I know Alan Shepherd. Now, Alan Shepherd, we all know was the first man in the moon, or not first man in the moon, the first man to play golf on the moon. And probably they only have a man to play golf on the moon.
Speaker 4: The course record on the moon.
Speaker 1: He hasn't gone down yet. It's still Brighton. Brighton thinks he's long, but not it's not all an Alan Shepherd sixth ann and uh so it was. It was. It was a friend of a friend and that got through to to to the Houston, the NASA connection in Houston, the astronauts of course, and he knew the coach at at Houston Baptist University and a guy called Dave Mannon and and okay, Dave took a trip up from from HBU it's now called Houston Christian University actually as opposed to Houston Baptist University up to visit a couple of years ago and he saw me in the hotel room and said, look, okay, all our all our sponsorship, all our all our deals that are done for the for the year, so we'll have you as a walk on and hopefully you can you can get some financial aid in the next three years because it was expensive and the dollar happened to be one to one with a pound, which was a nightmare for my father because it was very expensive. Anyway, So long story short, I enrolled in the Houston Bache's University and played as a walk on the first year and managed to secure uh you know, a sort of sports sports scholarship for the next for the next three and enjoyed myself thoroughly. I really did. It was it was a super time and nothing against New Mexican Institute. It was just it just wasn't for me. It might be for some, you know, obviously for some, it just wasn't for me at the time. Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 2: They did never come looking for you. The New Mexico military and student never tried to track it.
Speaker 1: Well, every time I every time I go, I must have made every time I go to the immigration officers when I land in America, I think, is this it is this the time, you know, do I have a red flag? You know? Do I have a red flag against my name? But I've managed touchwood, I've managed to to avoid it.
Speaker 2: I read in the book that you almost burned down your college apartment by making scones.
Speaker 4: I did what you remember about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a disaster. I am okay, first and foremost. I've never been a chef. Okay, that's I mean, that's just a disaster for me. I'd stay out in the kitchen as much as possible. Toaster is about my limit. And and yeah, I decided one day to get these Pillsbury dough things. You you sort of unwrap them and they all come out, you know, write twelve sort of scone scones whatever they're called biscuits, I suppose. And I put them on this tray and put them in the oven, and I thought it's done a great job. You know. Trouble is that I didn't realize that one of the guys hadn't cleaned the tray before and it was full of fat. So I put this in the oven, and of course it caught fire. Well, bloody hell did it catch fire? This whole place I was downstairs, thought oh, hang on, that's a funny smell. So I went upstairs, go downstairs with a friend. And I was going upstairs, the basketball team were down below me. It was funny. And I used to know one of the guys. He was a great guy, and I said, that smells funny. So I went upstairs and thrice the flames. That's what the hell do I do? So I called nine one one and we called it nine nine nine. We called nine nine nine. You call it nine one one and called so the two fire engines come running up and spray this whole apartment with water. Now, the rest of my three guys that I shared the apartment with were out at the time, so when they came back, everything was soaked. I mean, it was just ridiculous. Everything was soaked. I'd soaked. It leaked down to the basketball teams, you know, so that there was that I'll never forget. There was Nigerian guy who was about seven foot I forget his name, part of our basketball team. And he came up and I thought, oh my god, he's going to kill me. You know, he is going to kill me. I had it, I've had it. He was great. He helped me, helped me clean up. I mean, he was fantastic, but oh god, I made my missa. I mean, hey, college, you know, college times. It was fantastic. And I went back. A funny I went back. I went back two years ago. So it's forty forty years after and that apartment should have been should have been. Absolutely, I mean, I mean written off thirty years ago. It's still standing, believe or not. I can't believe it's still standing. I tried my best to get rid of it, but it's still But yeah, you know, good stories. And I really did enjoy I really did enjoy my time at Houston. It was that you've got a fantastic system in America. That college program you have is something to behold. And anytime that anybody asks me about America, and he said, oh, you know, my son's good. Is there any chance to get you know, I got a chance to go to me, I said, take it, take it. It's not just the education, it's not just the golf. It's the lifestyle. You know, it's the lifestyle. And you manage to go to a bigger school. I was at a smaller school. But if you've got a bigger school with a football program, I mean you see these I mean one hundred thousd and people at Iowa and Georgia and these places, I mean incredible, the alumni and the money that's involved, and the support that the colleges get. It's the superb start to one's life. Yeah, and I really did enjoy it. And it was the making. It was the making of me as the golfer, that's for sure. America learned. America taught me how to win more than Britain. You know, we feel well done, good effort, you finished third, you know, well done America. Well that's the second loser, you know, in America. Big difference. So it was it was a good time, great time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We talked about your upright swing a little bitarlier. Why do you think the swing that Bill Ferguson taught you when you were a young man like held up so well over your life.
Speaker 1: I think I think more upright swings hold up better than a rounded swing. There's less to go wrong. There's more lateral movement than there is a hip turn. There's less turn in my swing than there isn't you know. There's more lateral movement forward to back as opposed to round. And I think that the round swing. When it works, it's fantastic. But you see nowadays with the round of swing, when it doesn't work, my god, it can go off, and it goes off in a hurry. It goes off sideways, you know, thirty degree angle. I never had that. I was always a little more consistent. I wasn't as long as some of them because I wasn't using my hips to turn. I was more consistent because it was a lateral movement. And I think a lot of the good iron players Nicholas was a great iron player. Scott Hoak I always, I used to think, was a good iron player. More upright swing, similar sort of thing to myself, David Tom's upright swing. These guys that that I always admired as as good iron players. And that's what mark my strength was. It wasn't in the driving of the ball because it wasn't long. I could find it. But then I took my strength to my iron player because it was upright and it was consistent. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: In college, you know your walk on, uh so you kind of had to, you know, earn some money and can make a living. One of your first jobs was the valet parking cars and a valets taught you about life.
Speaker 1: It was a great fund, great fun up at lock of Our Country Club in Houston and amazing. And it was the very wealthy wealthy clubs, you know, one of these ultra private wealthy clubs in America. And and because we allowed, we were allowed to play on Mondays when when it was maintenance day, you know, the course was closed really, but they allowed some college players to come on, which was great for us. Super golf course Jack Nicholas signature design course. Super And so they got the team out one evening to help them valley park the cars. They had this big, big I suppose fundraising or one of these big, big events, and see here we go. And it wasn't just it wasn't just the Buicks and the oldsmobiles, you know, this was the Porsches and the Rolls, Roysters and the stuff. So we we had fun. We had fun even just getting in the damn car, never mind driving it. So it was fantastic fun. Yeah, all the luxury German cars and all the range Rovers and all this stuff. It was always superb. And of course getting into the car, into an American car for one, of course, it's the wrong side of the wrong side of the road. For us, I'm on the wrong side of the wheel and h okay, and the owner might have switched the car off or luckily he's kept it on right, but he might switch it off and get out of the car, help the wife out the car. So I'm sitting in the car. Now, where's the bloody ignition? Where where do I start this thing? Where's the you know, the gear levers and all the stuff. Is it sick shift? Is it not? Our It was okay with stick shift, because that's what we use here, so stick ship? Is it automatic? Is it? I mean, oh, my god, you know what you know? And then there could be a small gentleman get out the cast of course you're stuck farting near the whew, you can't turn this thing? Or it was it was it was, It was an event. And then they paid you for it when you when you came out, it was great. I mean, they gave you in these days twenty dollars. My god, that was a huge amount of money for us. I mean I was living on seventeen and a half cents of off Craft macaroni cheese. Where the cheese was was was powder? You know the stuff you're poured seventeen and a half cents, that proves that was my dinner. So twenty dollars to park a car was superb for me, and that helped me pay pay for things at university. Yeah, help help feed me.
Speaker 4: Your your love of cool cars kind of grew over time.
Speaker 2: But you said that you got a job driving for your dad for Fox Biscuits, who were like a regional sort of salesman, and you buggered up three cars, or so I did.
Speaker 4: I did having to tell your father about.
Speaker 1: Well, that wasn't good. That wasn't good. You don't tell the boss. You don't tell the that you've written off a car, because it gets around the factory very very quickly. You know that, Oh god, I've messed up again. But yeah, I was always I was always I don't know, I was I was. I was always late now, and it's one thing I'm never am. Because there's a golfer our world revolves around time. If you're off at ten o'clock, your whole day is surrounded by you know, you know what time you get up, breakfast, practice time, you know what. So it's all it's all based around time. So I was always late. I was always I had to merchandise the shelf and these biscuits, these these cookies. So I had to take the take the old ones and put them to the front, you know, you sort of rotate them, you know, yes, but best before date stuff, you know, yes. And so I did all that, and I was always a little bit late. I was always quite. I had to leave it and then you know, leave the shelf perfectly perfectly, you know, good. And then I was a bit late. So I was always in a hurry. So I was always speeding. And in the winter in Yorkshire where I was in the north of Yorkshire, it was quite snowy sometimes in the north of England, and you get the odd you know. So they all happened in the winter. I put one on its I put one on its roof once. These were the sales rep cars. It was an old called the Ford Escort. I mean it was a it was a cheap car, but it was a good car in its day. But yes, I was on number four. I was on number four when I left, when I left to go to university, I was on number four. I did this for two winters to get enough money to play amateur golf in the summers. That's why I started university at twenty and not eighteen, because I was doing I was doing this to fill in time in the winter, because I couldn't play golf here in the winter. So it was yeah, it was good fun. It was good fun. We had a We had a good laugh. I had seventy two sales reps in the company running around the country doing all sorts, and I was one of them. And I found it's funny. My father passed away in January this year and I found he was ninety four. And I found the report card from Fox's Biscuits. And I didn't realize I was so bad. I didn't realize I got I thought I was getting a's and a pluses. I didn't realize that's so bad. I think I got one c. The rest of them are d's and ease. You know, I thought I did a good job. He obviously kept them from me. He kept them from me without without telling me that it was good. Father bad at the job. Thank god, Thank god. I wouldn't I wouldn't have been taken on if I wasn't the boss's son. It was. It was quite funny, quite funny. I didn't realize how bad it was.
Speaker 2: That's great, told the famous story a bunch of times about playing at Turnberry with Peter Jurman and and being seven under through nine and stuff on the on the bad nine.
Speaker 4: Why do you think he played so well that day?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know, obviously like that was a was a pretty seminal moment in your life when they're.
Speaker 4: Saying we're going to work for you.
Speaker 2: But you almost kind of like blacked out and didn't really even think about how well you were playing. From all the accounts of it, why do you think that you were playing so well well?
Speaker 1: I think it's I think it's I think it's one of these things that that that I can speak on behalf of most golfers that play the game to a certain level, is that if you do blackout and not think about it, like like in a pro am, how many court records are shot in a pro am? How many course records are shot when you're not really not really interested or not really bothered, you know, or how many pots are hold, you know, after the guy's been missing putts in the pro am all day long, and and I happened to hold a pop for a for a birdie. So this this pot doesn't matter for this guy, but he has a practice pot anyway, and of course holds it. It says, God, if I could do that? How how you know that? God? How easy is this game? And it doesn't And it's true, isn't it. How easy is this game? And it doesn't matter? And if we could only play, we could only play that way more often, it'd be amazing. And I wasn't interested in the golf. The golf was secondary. I was wanting a job, so it was it was the secondary. I was watching what I was saying more than I was what I was playing, you know. And I just happened to hold a few pots and I chipped in and something, and hey, presto. You know, they say I'm good enough for for pro golf never mind, never mind you know, working for them. So I think it's I think it's the fact that to get into that mentality, to into that psychological way. And I'm sure books and books have been read about it all the time, you know, don't bother. Just hey, what's the worst that can happen? You can miss the part, Well, Hey, there's worst things gonna happen in life, right, what's the worst can happen. We'll just swing the club. And that's what I was doing. And it's amazing how anybody can play better without without really thinking about it, And that if I was to tell anybody what to just just go out there and don't I don't worry about the pressures and the and the and and get getting intense and getting down and just swing the club and get on with it. It's amazing how how well one can play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you told the story about your first victory at the Portuguese Open, I was kind of struck by something. Kind of point how your father didn't even know you won until you called him later that night on the phone, because you know, now he'd be able to follow shot by shot and get it in to me. God, yeah, what do you remember about that phone? I mean, now it's that feeling.
Speaker 1: Now it's shot link, isn't it? And you'd be able to see how far I've got from a second shot to the last.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It wasn't live on TV? How is it? How is he supposed to in Scotland? How's he supposed to know what's happening in Portugal? Uh? Okay, it's two and a half hours away. But there's there's no there's no communication. I mean, it's a whole different world now we live in that it's immediate, everything's there.
Speaker 2: And yes, do you remember that excitement, excitement of that phone call, like calling him up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the highlights package was shown, you know, two weeks later at nine at night. Yeah, so I just said, look, you know, I started four ahead and I hadn't won before, and it was a big deal. And I started four ahead. I birdied four out the first five holes and got about seven ahead, and then it was I got into that frame we're just talking about whereby okay, just just swing the club, just just play golf, you know, don't worry about anything. And then got another four ahead and finished eleven, which was crazy. But the phone call, yeah, I mean, to win on the European Tour was a big deal. Win anywhere is a big deal. To win in the corn Ferry, to win in Asia, to win any on any tour anywhere is a big deal, especially a first one. You remember it well. And I remember Portugal so well, and I visited Kintodalago many times since. And my cards, my four cards are on the wall in the in the clubhouse to this day, nineteen eighty nine, So it was what crumbs, you know, the thirteen years thirty seven years ago, My god, amazing but at the same time great, great memories, you know. But to win by eleven was special. There's something there, people thought there was, there was something to build on. You win your first pro event by eleven shots, you think, okay, this is something on who's this? And then it's funny, you know, the next ten, the next ten were by one shot, hm, and you think, how's that? How's that? I thought I conquered this game. I thought I've got I thought I've got this, you know, I thought I was the only one ever to conquer this, this game of goal, eleven shots ahead, and yet and yet the next ten were all by one. It's amazing how the game, you know, how how it how it transpires. But it was a fantastic feeling, great phone call to say, look I've won. And that was and that kept my job really, you know, because because you've got a two year exemption. Now, in fact, it was more it was the TPC, which was our a Players Championship, so it was a five year exemption. I got so it gave me that that golden ticket really for five years. That allowed me to play with Freedom on the tour for that time and then progress toward the Ryder Cup stuff you know, you know two years later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, sorry to butt in here, but let's take a quick break from Manti to talk about our friends at Perfect Practice. I gotta say I recently went through a move and I have some new spaces and I was setting up one of them, and the first thing I thought of was, look at all this floor space. What a perfect place for my perfect practice putting, Matt. I have been kind of in between places for a while, and a thing that I've missed is by perfect practice putting Matt. It is something that keeps my putting just kind of dialed in. I love this thing. I didn't think I was gonna like it as much as I do. What I love about it are the lines.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: Obviously I have the eight foot model. You can get them bigger, you can get them smaller. But one of the things that I like about this is I can work on a variety of length putts. Really, the putts that I feel like I need to make on a consistent basis. I know, eight footers or fifty percent proposition. But the big thing I love about this, I love working on straight putts. If you can just hit a straight putt down a line, you're gonna be dialed in. And that's what the Perfect Practice Putting Matt allows you to do. Don't sleep on their other tools they have. You know, they have a couple different putting tools. They have like a gait that you can put through that's really helpful. They have a mirror which is like the classic you know, setup drill. Make sure you're set up to the ball right. You know, that's where most things go wrong, and and golf is when you're not set up well. And then they have obviously the chip shot, which is you know, it has an automatic ball return, it's a chipping net. It includes a grass matt unless you get tons of rep reps in without chasing the ball. It's great for indoor and outdoor use. That's probably the next thing I'm set up in my new space here. And if you go to perfect practice dot com and use the promo code SGS, you get twenty percent off. That's perfect Practice dot Com. Use the code SGS for twenty percent off. Big thanks to our friends at perfect practice. And let's get back to Colin Montgomery.
Speaker 2: I've read a bunch about you know, you went head to head with Seven a lot during that time.
Speaker 4: You know, I read a lot about his aura.
Speaker 2: What was it like to compete against him?
Speaker 1: Oh, he was, it was It was it was like playing I mean, he don't use this analogy very often, but it was like playing against God really, you know, in our in our world. You know, I'm not saying in a European world. It was playing against someone very very special or a charisma passion. I think that's the word I would use for Seven, the most passionate man I've ever met about life and about golf. Every shot was as if it was his last. You know, every shot was so vital to him. And he used to almost, you know, almost enjoy being in a position of okay, just watch this sort of stuff. You know, he was in a position where he was up against some dustin in the middle of nowhere, and then just watch this, Monty. I'll get up and down here, you know, and I'll beat you on the whole. And he and he probably did. It was it was amazing to play with him, as you say, an aura The only other other person I've had that playing with was Tiger Woods. Mhm. Tiger Woods had an aura about him and still still does that meter around oneself that no one comes into without being invited. I think Tiger has that and Sevee had it. There's this, there's this, there's something special, there's something special. There's a few people that walk into a room without knowing who they are or who it was. The room changes. I remember I was in the company of Sean Connery once in Scotland. He walked into a room. There was something about him, you know. I mean it wasn't Sean Connor. It was James Bond walking into the room, you know, and a big man, a big presence. Greg Norman had it for a while. Greg Norman had that. Sevy and Woods, Yeah, there was a few of them have that, and it was it was just a delight playing with him and an knowing that he was the you know, he was European Golf, the first winner of the Masters, the first this and first that that sev did. He was the he was the initial guy. Uh but it was an honor. I mean, meat, who who the hell am? I you know, remember my times and the boss from from from New Mexico, Albuquerque and the Greyhound Buster and now I'm playing alongside Seve. This was this was dramatic. Yeah, there's a big, big, big step.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said kind of that early part of your career, you almost didn't give yourself enough credit, Like when you looked back, you did better than you sort of realized. And why do you think you were hard on yourself?
Speaker 1: I think I think it was parental. Was was was? You know, there was pressure there to succeed. I wanted to succeed. I didn't want to I didn't want to feel that I was a journeyman pro. I wanted to succeed. So there was that in me. There was that in built in the family. You know a bit of pressure there, a bit of pressure on myself. I wanted to achieve. I wanted to achieve, and when I got married, I wanted to give the lifestyle to wife and children and all the stuff that came with being a successful golfer sportsman. And that opportunity was given to me, I wanted to take it. You know, the opportunity was given to me. I mean there could have been twenty thirty forty better golfers than me in Scotland. But the opportunity was given to me, and I didn't want to throw that away in many ways, so I wanted to achieve. Possibly that's why I was to harden myself, you know. I wanted to achieve, probably too much. If I was giving a lesson to anybody to start the game, i'd have said, I'd have said to them, be patient. Be patient. It's a long road, you know, here's us talking. I'm sixty two years old now, I'm still competing at a reasonable level, and I wish I was a little more patient with myself in those early days. But but you want it, you want it now, you want it, you know, and it's difficult to be It's easy to say terrible word patient, you know, when you you know, you're two over after five and your caddy says, oh, be patient. He's a bloody hell. You know, I've got to I've got to find a birdy someone that might be patient. You know. So it was a horrible word, but it would be great if if if we all had it, if we all had it. In any sport, being patient is is pool number one. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The story of Jack kind of early congratulating you in the Pebble it is open. It's almost kind of overshadowed, like how well you played that day.
Speaker 4: Everyone remembers that. Jack sort of.
Speaker 2: Said, you know, oh, congrats Marty won the Open. But I wonder what you remember about that round. I mean, the wind was obviously like crazy. It was just a crazy conditions of day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was. I remember remember every shot I hit, you know, and I and I was going through it. You know, I must have played well, Yes, I did. I was controlling the ball and a number of players weren't able to control the flight of the ball. I hit the ball particularly low. At that time ninety two. I was very young, still really to the game. But I hit the ball lower than I do now, and in a wind around Pebble Beach, it was an advantage to do that. I wouldn't say it is now, but it was then in a wind, and I kept it down. I hold a couple of important potts. I remember the shot I hit at sixteen seven and I hit at sixteen there and it hit the pin. My second shot it was the pin was on the right hand side, a very devilish pin position. You've got to miss it left and it was going a little it was fading a little bit too far right, but it hit the pin and a holder left to right. Oh god, it must have been about an eight foot left to right Pott. And in the wind, I thought, oh, that's good. And the up and down at the last again an eight an. I hit my third shot into the green at the last. Even to find the fair way and then lay up was difficult enough. The eight time came up short into the front bunker. I came out about four foot and on these Poana greens were nasty beans, I mean horrible, they just oh I hate them, you know. And I managed to hold this four fourth through in the wind, and I really thought when I did it, I thought, what have I done here? You know? What have I done? Tom Kite was only on about the eighth or ninth hole. He was only half way round, and I'd finished, and after I'd signed my card through the back of the eighteenth green ut pebble Beach. I'll never forget it. And Jack Nicholas appeared. He came down the ladders from his from from the studio, and uh, first time I met him. I hadn't met him before. And Jack Nicholas, will Christ hang on a minute. You know Feavy was good. Wow, now we've got we've got hang on. This is the King, the King. I know Palmer was known as it, but to me, he was the King. And never forget he says, well, he says, uh, you know, I'm I'm Jack Nicholas said, yes, I know. Yeah, Jack Nicholas here, he says that genius and he said, never forget it. Congratulations on being our national champion. That's what you said. He didn't say the US Open as such. He just said congratulations and being our national champion, because I knew that he'd won six of those things and being a national and that whatever. In Mahamoni, it was a national champion. Was a big deal for Jack Nicholas to be the US Open champion, never mind the Masters or the PGA. The national championship was big. It was like our Open championship, ourselves and I and I walked away thinking okay, and he went back up. He went back in his up to his up to his booth to finish his commentary, and I finished, I said, I want to walk to it. Well, he knows, he knows what he's talking about. He's one here. He knows what he's talking about. At Pebble Beach, he knows tom Kite could have played these last nine holes in horrendous conditions. Really, I mean, the wind was forty miles an hour. It was. You wouldn't you wouldn't have played. You wouldn't have played. You'd have said, look, this is silly, you know. And only because the pown of greens were damp that the ball wasn't moving on them, you know, so, or else it would have been canceled. And I thought, so I went back to him. I went back to my manager, John Simpson at the time, who madged Faldo and Norman and Price and these guys had a room at the lodge because I couldn't afford that at that stage. I see a room at the lodge and I watched it on television and I watched tom Kite come in, and not just tom Kite. I must give a lot of credit to Jeff Fluman as well, who they both beat me. I finished third in the end. I've never forgiven Jack Nicholas forgetting it wrong, and I've never forgiven him. And when I was when I was commentating a little bit on on on on Sky's Sports. He comes in and he apologizes. Now he says, I wasorry for that. I thought I thought you knew what you were talking about. You know, it was funny, but it was a good time. And all credit to Tom Kite for doing what he did. I mean, my god, the short game. He worked with Dave Peltz for many, many years and it came to fruition for Tom Kite. It was amazing, and you know, he holed out, he chipped in at the seventh and all this sort of stuff that went on. And also a big shout out for Jeff Sluman, who also beat me. I finished third, and I must admit I was I was looking at very worst scenario was a playoff worst scenario, and to finish third means that these two guys did extremely well.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, People sometimes get a little bit confused by this take, but one of my favorite golf takes is that you and Phil Nicholson are are two of the best US Open players of that entire era.
Speaker 4: Like, it doesn't matter that you didn't win one.
Speaker 2: You put yourself in convention over and over and over again, which is kind of part of it all. I'm wondering, what is it I read you loved the US Open. What what isn't that you loved about it?
Speaker 1: I flew over for you as hope, and knowing that already you can discount one hundred players out one hundred and fifty six. They hated it. They hated it mentally, they hated it. They didn't like the way the USGA set up the courses back in the nineties when we were playing film because that was our sort of era. They didn't like the way they were set up. I did because I because I could find the fairways with my drive right. It was a fair ways and greens type of thing, and that was that was my game. And I enjoyed it. I really did enjoy it. I enjoyed the battle. I enjoyed the challenge of the way that the USGA had set up these courses. Yes, you made bogie, you and you god, you know the blooming look at that. You know, you know you got onto them halfway around the course, of course you did. But at the end of the day, it was a different setup. It was it was. It was a different form of golf, and I really did. I did enjoy it. And I was in contention a lot, yeah, a lot not having won it, and Phil and I not to have one the US Open. You thought, surely, you know, surely would have won it. Between us, there must have been almost a dozen times where we had opportunities, the pair of us, and it came down to, Yeah, wing foot especially, I'm going back to wing Foot two thousand and six, where we were both leading on the last te and we both double bogue the blumbing last hole. For goodness sake, I think it was just fate that we're never going to win that tournament, the pair of us, you know, And that was my closest one. Really. I suppose, you know, to parle the hole would have won it. But at the same time, it was a difficult hole, but I'd done the hard thing. I'd hit the fair way wing foot, The rest was easy, and I messed it up. But it was it was, Yeah, it was, it was. I just loved I loved the US Open, meaning that one hundred guys you could forget, and I was only playing against fifty guys who actually enjoyed it. So it was a different a different feel when I got to the first te different feel. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard you talk about slow play over the years and the frustration of that and sometimes and no more time does that come into you know, the upisope's a little different because everybody's stressing over every shot. But I remember watching two thousand and six and you having to wait, you know, ten minutes for hit his shot and stuff and then agonizing thing that was. But what do you remember about that, that nine to ten minutes of waiting for that?
Speaker 1: Oh well, it's amazing. I mean, if it wasn't Vj's fault, it was just he happened to hit a terrible drive. He'd admit that, a big, big hook into the second hospitality tent. So we had to get one drop from the first one, the second dropped another one and then there was a TV camera in the way then. I mean, it was just it was one of these rules that were on forever. Okay. Meanwhile, Muggins is on the fairway here going through Hell. I'm convinced that if I'd played it, and it's not it's not the etiquette of the game, right, it's not the editor aim to play out of turn, but it's not illegal to do so. Play match play you can get called back, but stroke play it's not. And I'm convinced if I'd played that shot in real time, walked up to it as I do a couple of swings with seven A and hit it on the green and then oh, where's vj Oh he's over there. Oh sorry, did I play out a turn? You know sort of thing. But I was doing the etiquette thing, and to this day I wish I hadn't. Okay, but there you go. That's one of these things, because nine minutes is a hell of a long time to think in a positive way, hell of a long time to think positively, and unfortunately negative thoughts spring in. Okay, and again, get get out your head. Okay and get that just wait from getting out your head, walk away, start again sort of thing, you know. And unfortunately I just caught it slightly heavy and that was the worst thing I could do. But I'm convinced that I did play that shot in real time, just go up and hit it the way I would. You know, he was longer than me off the tees, so normally I was playing first anyway into the green. Yeah, I don't want but hey, there you go, faate you know, what the hell? What the health?
Speaker 2: Every every near miss is kind of like its own short story of agony in some plays.
Speaker 4: But I looked.
Speaker 2: I watched the PGA Riviera back in this and just I was struck by you know you birdied the last three holes, like it was one of the most clutch things imagined, including rolling in that like twenty foot on eighteen, which I always thought was like one of those clutch moments. It's like lost to history, like it's a do or you gotta make it to get into their playoff. What do you remember about that, those sort of stretch down there, Riviera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that was that was that was. I was playing superb golf and that was the best golf of my life. Ninety five and I just joined Callaway. I was using irons that no one loved, the big Bertha irons. I mean it was just they were like shovels, but my god, they worked. The Helmsteatter was a fantastic designer, an engineer designing these clubs, City League, Callaway and myself and I was playing fantastic golf. I remember bird in the last three holes and it was like, Okay, well I can do this. And then Elkinton comes in playoff and he had the honor off the tee and he pulled it left off the tee into the rough on the high side of Riviera, and it's a place you don't go. It's a very difficult second shot because you're coming across the green. The pin was back left. He couldn't he couldn't get to the pin and my drive, believe it or not. Alistair mcaddie, Alistair mcclaim. We had a good time together. Were twenty eight years together and he just turned seventy. Actually got to wish him happy birthday and he said to me in the playoff, I said, how far have I got? He says, well, there's your divot there the first time, and there's you divot here. And it was it was within a foot. And that's the way I was playing. I was playing golf like that. I was hitting the ball exactly to plan, you know. He said, well, you've got exactly the same club. And I hit it perfectly and it stopped. It stopped short. It bit in as opposed to going forward the way that they had been doing. And it bit in about again about a twenty foot short where I was the first time. Really, but it it had bit in. It was it was right down the pin. I was happy with that he had missed the green because that's all he could do from his position. He had a good shot actually just threw the green on the on the back side his shot first and he putted it and hold it off the green thirty foot and I'm thinking, oh my god, and I've got this now for a half and it didn't it didn't had a chance, but it you know, it was never going in. You know, one of those putts that you know when you've hit it, it's not happening. You know, halfway you got a chance. This one didn't. Okay, that's another one because ninety four I'd lost a playoff to L's and to Lauren Roberts at Dokmond of another playoff in a major there at Riviera, and it became you know, okay, well this is is this you know, just okay, this horrible word patience and what have you. You know, But that was that was one that I hate to say, got away because Elkinton had more chance of making a bogie from that position than he had a birdie. And I was making my paw. I could make my paw, but the birdie was was was tough to get on top of him. But it was it was one of these things. It was just, hey, well done him the playoffs. You know, you've got to take it when you can, and he did and and it didn't work for me on that particular occasion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, was it.
Speaker 2: I guess it was interesting to watch, you know how the press was maybe a little bit hard on you. The fans were a little bit hard on you, Like I wouldn't live a little bit of a public life just being a podcast or whatever. And it's it's hard not to absorb that kind of stuff when people are mean, when people are nasty, and I'm wondering how you kind of learn to deal with that.
Speaker 1: Over time, Well, I became, I became a I became a bit of a threat, to be honest. At ninety seven was the one Congressional I made a mistake. Okay, I'll have to admit, you know, hey, who's perfect, But I'm certainly not. When I made a mistake congressional in nineteen ninety seven where I answered back, I was leading the US Open then after the first round, and this was the second round after rain delay, and I answered back to someone and I regret that to this day, you know, and it hurt me for I'd say a good ten years, you know, which is most people's career. To be honest, I was lucky. I had a longer one, and it hurt me in America, and then I became after ninety seven ninety nine was there was the big change after the big five in Europe had left the Ryder Cup. So we're talking Sevy, Falder, Langer, Lyle and Wusnam had left the Ryder Cup. And it was a new era coming through. It was the Harringtons, it was the Donald's, Clark Westwood, Poulter, these guys were coming through in Europe, him and Az, Paul Laurie and and I was number two in the world at the time, so I became the biggest threat. And therefore it was, you know, a bit like McElroy to this, to this Ryder Cup. There was more angst on him than anyone, and there was more angst on me at the Ryder Cups, and it it sort of took took it took effect from then on. Uh. Difficult, yes, but at the same time gave me, especially playing for a team, it gave me Okay, look I'm not going to get this isn't going to get me down. I'm going to come through this, and and but but but individually it hurt more, you know when you're playing an individual tournament, but as a team. It really sort of spurred me on really that that I could, I could do this, and I could and I could play for my teammates and not let them down, you know, by succumbing to to to the crowd whatever it was. But now it's amazing. Now you know, I'm not a threat anymore. On on the PTA Tour Champions and the crowd of fantastic there really are. You know, they welcome me with open arms to the Champions Tour, and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I've been there twelve years and I've enjoyed every minute of the Champions Tour. And it's been a great, great place to finish off one's career. Very lucky from fifty to sixty two to play competitively most sports you've finished at thirty five forty if you're lucky. But the crowd of yeah, it's been, it's been super. You know, on the first t I get a good applause on the first tee always, and I think, oh, this is okay, this is this is a nice place to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, I guess I wanted to kind of fallow a little bit that. You know, Tiger and Rory have kind of said at times, like I might play chamins to her, I might not.
Speaker 4: Rory's very out, we won't.
Speaker 2: Tiger's kind of saying who knows, probably will, but doesn't know. Why do you think it's brought you so much joy? And why do you think it would benefit you know, kind of anybody from you know, no matter how great they were, Tiger, Rory or whatever, just to sort of experience some of the joys that you like that.
Speaker 1: I think winning. I think being in contention brings out that brings out the sort of competitive juices in us all, and it gives them an opportunity when they're fifty and I'm sixty two. So it's not it's you know, these days are sort of more whining, thinner than they were. Langer's giving us all hope at sixty eight. But at the same time, I think it's the competitive juices because when you're forty five to fifty, and I suppose Tiger can say the same thing. I know, illness and and and accidents and all sorts of his body's you know, giving up on him, you know, many ways unfortunately. But at the same time, forty five to fifty is a time when we all tend to tread water. Yeah, whereby Luke Donald's doing the same thing. I was doing the same thing. Harrington was doing the same thing. It's a very difficult, very difficult a place to be. The forty five to fifty. Where are you competitive on the PGA Tour? Not really, not really, day in day out. You're not as competitive as you were. We've got to admit, whoever you are. And yet fifty comes around. My god, you're a rookie again. You know, you've got this rookie feel and you've got this I'm younger than anyone else in this field here, you know, so come on, I've got a chance here. And it's this is winning, winning isn't. Don't tell the sponsors in the day, but they didn't have to pay me. You don't have to pay me to win. The feeling you have when you win. You've beaten your peers, whether it be one hundred and fifty odd in a major or eighty one as it is, and the champions two week to week to beat them, to win is a big, big deal, and it's a fantastic feeling. The self esteem goes up the whole. You know, you feel I'm six foot one, I feel six foot three. You know. It's superb. And I think that that would be apply to Tiger, would apply to anybody. I mean, the money that's been made now on the tour, it is less less objective, you know, to actually have to do this, uh you know, but but the enjoyment and the you know, God man, you know, he comes back to you. What else am I going to do? You know, haven't done any else in my life? What else am I going to do? So it's been a fantastic outlet really not just for me, but for everyone speaking for everybody on that on that PGA Tour, champions Stuart Think now being big number one on that tour, you know, uh, fabulous to have him on board, Steve Stricker, all the all the top Americans to come out there and play against the top international players of the day. It's it's a fantastic place to be and and and I hope, I hope Tiger can play. I really do. I think be fantastic for us all if Tiger can play, Hey even once. You know, I don't know how physically he's able to do. So let's hope he can manage to to play within the next couple of years, and and and and and and come out and play in a US Open. Because he's won the juniors, these the youths, he's won the mamateurs, he's won the US Open. My goodies and everything, but he hasn't won as senior US Open. And it'd be great to see him out there trying to compete, you know, yeah, trying to compete. I've won up on him already, thank god. You know, I've wont to see the US Open. He hasn't fantastic, but that type of thing, you know, to have that winning feeling again for him would be great. And all we do is the whole world of golf, which is him.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, yeah, those are that great quote. I think as a Norm McDonald quote the comedian so that the only thing an old man can tell a young man is that it goes by real fast, really fast, that a young man will never listen.
Speaker 1: I think that's yeah, it's true, true, it's true. You know. You know my father, my father was the same, you know what it was. He was sixty. He was sixty yesterday and then he was ninety four. You know, it's amazing how fast it does go. And we're very very fortunate to be able to do something that we enjoy, something that others enjoy watching us perform doing our thing. Were very fortunate in this world. And I mean, mustn't forget that, Yeah, never ever forget.
Speaker 2: That one thing called I was moved by in your you know, your Hall of Fame speech, as he said, if you could have one four ball match.
Speaker 4: It would be with your mom, your dad, and your brother.
Speaker 2: I grew up that my mom was a single handicap.
Speaker 4: She was great. My dad was not as good.
Speaker 2: And what do you remember about those those family games that sort of you.
Speaker 1: Know, oh, great games, you know, great games. And that's what That's what I've said. You know, people ask me a lot of the time, you know, and and the answers, oh, Arnold Palmer and Tiger Woods and Jack Nicholas and stuff. Okay, we'll fine, I've played with them, but great, But to bring back something that's that be impossible, you know, because my mother died quite young and and we had great games. We're all single figure handicaps. My mom was nine, my dad was five, my brother was about six or seven, and I was about two or three at the time going down to the scratch thing. So I always played with my mom against my brother and my father, and it was good, good, good competition or god, yeah, I mean it was. It was Oh yeah, I mean it was. It was worthless in many ways, but it was yes, at the dinner table that evening, Oh yeah, oh yeah, mom and I Mom and I used to yeah, yeah, yeah, give it out a wee bid.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: It was superb and something something special really in that. And that's the world of golf. You know. You couldn't do that. You couldn't really do that football or baseball or basketball or something, but you could do it in golf. You could play with a family like that and we'll have a real good time. And and and you know a three well it was three hours in those days. It's now taking too long, but a three hour walk with a family, you know, people that people. God, now the social media world has taken over. People are on phones all the time. You know, there was no mobile loans in those days. To go out with a family for three hours walk and enjoy oneself playing this great game of golf. Can't be that you can't beat it.
Speaker 2: No, why are scott so good good at making whiskey? And I guess Loch Lomond in particular what makes the water?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the water that's whiskey is hey the water of life, isn't it? You know, life is water and it's the quality of the water in Scotland coming off coming off the mountains. That's what it is more than anything. Yes, the peat, the peat and the odd ingredient we have is okay, but it's the quality of the water. Very few countries can you go to a stream, walking down a hillside and drink the water and feel, my god, that's fresh. Scotland's one of them. So it's all through the quality of the water. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, What have you enjoyed about being a Loch Lomond's kind of ambassador stuff?
Speaker 1: It's been It's been a super time. Actually, it's been great. You know, we're started at KNUSTI twenty eighteen and I've really thrilled. I think the motto the motto is great, you know, the spirit of the open. I think that's a great motto. I think it's a great tagle line. The spirit of the Open, and we have too great We have two great exports. Really we are. We are the world's greatest exports exporter of whiskey, yes, okay, and we're not bad at golf either. You know, we've exported golf for the world as well. So golf and whiskey are united within Scotland and it's nice to be part of both. And it's also it's also a very very good drink. I wouldn't say I'm a I'm a big aficiano on the on the whiskey side, you know. But at the same time, trying other brands to compare against the loch Loman brand, I must admit I do prefer the lock Clan brand. I'm not just saying that to you because I'm talking to you. But it is a good taste, it is a good whiskey and I'm proud to be part of it. Colin Matthews, the chief executive, is a is a fan. I'm a fan of his. He's a good golfer and you know, we're good friends and it's and it's worked well. I've been to all the Open since twenty eighteen. I haven't played in any of them on my last Open was twenty sixteen at raw Troun. But I've enjoyed being part of it, being part of the Lochlan brand, but also going to the Open Championships, viewing what's going on and how great and how big an event it's become, as all the majors have become bigger and better. But it's nice to be nice to almost have to go to the Open, you know, really, you know, because I'm an ambassador for lock Loan and Whiskeys in a way, it's a very easy job to say, right, tick a nap box this year. Yeah, so we'll look forward to going to row Berkedale next year and seeing the differences from the last time that I played at Burkedale, which was a while ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I have to track you down and I'm there and maybe we can have a.
Speaker 1: Please do please do you should come in? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, please, Well, my dear, this has been a delight Thank you for your time.
Speaker 4: I really appreciate you, not.
Speaker 1: At all, well, not at all delighted to speak to you and best to luck to you all right.
Speaker 3: Big thanks to Kevin to Monty, what a great podcast. Big thanks also to PJ. Clark for editing and producing this podcast. We will be back on Sunday with our Open Championship preview podcasts. It will be a half dy podcast. We'll do our traditional five things about the Major, but we also have a golf course section that will be tacked onto it as well. So big podcast coming Sunday to get you ready for the last major of the year. Thanks as always for listening, and we'll be back on Sunday.