Speaker 1: You're tuned into heat Check with a quick on this episode of This League. Oh, I mean the Heat Check.
Speaker 2: We have breaking news. Alert Alert, we have breaking news.
Speaker 3: Steve Nash Yoda has been fired by the Brooklyn Nets folks.
Speaker 1: Let that sink in for a little bit. Let that sink in for just two minute. Let it news in your soul.
Speaker 2: Steve Nash has been given his walking papers.
Speaker 1: Me. I am speechless, I am shocked, befuddled.
Speaker 2: But for a lot of new fans on the Heat Check, there's a ton of history you probably don't know about why this is such a big deal for the show.
Speaker 1: It's not like this should surprise anyone.
Speaker 2: But let me tell you, I don't know a single person who thought that this would happen seven games into the season. But what I'm gonna do is take a deep breath, relax, and break it all down for you. He checks style, Nick Berlansky, you beautiful, thick walked man. Drop that motherfucking beat.
Speaker 1: Alright, alright, alright, alright.
Speaker 2: I'm not someone who dances on graves. I'm not a person that beats on dead horses.
Speaker 1: I'm not a person who celebrates.
Speaker 2: Someone losing their job, And I'm not talking about the scumbags like Matt Lower or Roger Ayles. Those guys I do celebrate their demise, but usually this kind of news is like, ah, he was so sweet, he gets to go back to Manhattan Beach. Now, man, you got a raw deal. And to be fair, I do sort of feel bad for Steve Nash.
Speaker 1: I'm not celebrating or dancing on his grave.
Speaker 2: Over the fact that he lost his job after two years about a cup of coffee, even though.
Speaker 1: I did say it's a bad match, it's a bad decision, it's a bad decision.
Speaker 2: This isn't really about Steve Nash though, as it really is about Internet culture, in cell culture, douchebag culture, and how they basically these in cells and coworkers.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're both.
Speaker 2: I don't know, try to end my fucking career because I had.
Speaker 1: The kahonas the stones to.
Speaker 3: Suggest that maybe, just maybe Brooklyn should not have hired Steve Nash. Maybe Brooklyn was not the best fit for a guy who had never coached a single game in his life or assisted on the bench, even was in the second row on the bench in his entire life, not one game. And how maybe handing the keys to the Castle to the most exciting franchise with to the big superstars in the league at the time, to an untested candidate when there were numerous qualified coaches with tons of experience staying in line waiting in line, many of them black coaches, which that's important to note, was maybe not a good idea, especially when we're going through a national race debate spurred on by George Floyd.
Speaker 2: I know what a fucking maverick eye was to say that, what a fucking go out on a limb person. I was, how could you be so brave?
Speaker 1: I at the time. People were very bad. At the time. It was like, what are you saying? People are like, oh, yeah, we all knew that. Now he's fired, and they was like, yeah, it's very obvious.
Speaker 2: People were standing for Steve Nash when his dumbass was rolling out Blake Griffin in the playoffs last year after being down three zero. Maybe experiment a little earlier before getting swept.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I even said I like him, he could be successful. I don't know. I gave him the better for the down, said maybe he'll be successful.
Speaker 2: I mean, these two aren't players are very talented. I do know other smart point guards were unqualified and they got jogged out much in some past. Those guys did coach on the bench before, though it wasn't like they came out of the fucking like beach bum like.
Speaker 1: Just like literally, I still have sun blocks still on their face.
Speaker 2: This is like still has maple syrup and bottles of maple syrup in their pockets.
Speaker 1: Like this dude hasn't done anything.
Speaker 2: He played basketball and then he went into obscurity, had a couple of divorces, maybe just one couple of kids, and that was that. But I did think it was a bad idea, you know what I mean. I thought it was a bad bad optics.
Speaker 1: You know what optics. Bad optics is bad look, it's a bad look.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter what it is, doesn't matter if he turns out okay, does actually matter, But at the time didn't really matter.
Speaker 1: I thought maybe it would be good.
Speaker 2: So I blogged this, right, I blog this. I was trying to be funny too, like I'm trying to be now.
Speaker 1: Maybe won't land today, Maybe you won't land today. We'll have to see. I call them the most problematic hiring sense Fred Hoiberg and people got very mad.
Speaker 2: Couple of people from the South called me on a radio station hours and skewered.
Speaker 1: Me, how could you say this?
Speaker 2: We got into a conversation about white privilege and whether it exists.
Speaker 1: Didn't want to talk about that, did not did not Internet.
Speaker 2: Started a blaze Reddit threads calling for my firing.
Speaker 1: Thought I might actually be fired. Ever, wonder why my.
Speaker 2: Podcast is a two point two rating on Apple and a four point seven on Spotify.
Speaker 1: Steve Nash, Ben Simmons, that's it. Philly and inceels Philly and racist in cels. That's what I mean. Maybe maybe some overlap there. Who knows?
Speaker 2: Thousands of them thousands left one star?
Speaker 1: Rebuse Do you ever look at the podcast?
Speaker 2: If you listen to this podcast, go on Apple and see it's either five stars or one star.
Speaker 1: Wonder why this is? Why?
Speaker 2: So this feels cathartic to me. It feels like the chickens coming home to cook. Look, roost, I was right, I was.
Speaker 1: Right about both knowing. Will ever give me respect over it? You know? What all that matters is what's in my soul?
Speaker 2: And with the record book says the fact that Ben Simmons contributed to getting Steve Nash fired is.
Speaker 1: Gold for me, gold for me.
Speaker 2: Turns out being a woman and being right seems to infuriate the Incels.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't just the trolling mob. It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It was coworkers. They helped whip the mob into a frenzy. They gained clout from whipping up the mob, and they sold T shirts. They made T shirts calling Trista doesn't know basketball. They tried to get my podcast canceled from inside the own company. They were literally in my foxhol throwing, throwing fucking shells at me, all to garner favor with a bunch of trolls that they just wanted to like them for who knows why, probably another ten thousand dollars on their paycheck for the year, because that's what insecure bros do and that's what trolls do. So yeah, had to get that off my chest.
Speaker 1: I think it came off well. So it's interesting.
Speaker 2: It's interesting Charms is reporting that the parting was mutual.
Speaker 1: Woach says he was fired. I think he was fired personally.
Speaker 2: Uh, Nash doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's like, I'm out, let me go, Please let me go. I can never coach this group. These people tried to tell me when he was hired that he.
Speaker 1: Was the ultimate consummate communicator. He was the number one team builder. Doesn't appeer he built the team. Does not appear that worked.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he had plenty of chances to bail already.
Speaker 1: I tell you what. He handled it diplomatically.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: He didn't count on though, Kevin Durant.
Speaker 2: When Kevin Durant said I want this fucker fired and they said no, that Kevin Durant wasn't like, well, let me do it my own self like Kevin Durant always does.
Speaker 1: Kevin Durant's like, let me put the team on my back.
Speaker 2: And get this shit done. And you know what he did. That did that for Steve Nash too. You got to go.
Speaker 1: He played zero defense.
Speaker 2: He had the worst plus minus in the entire NBA in seven games, shocking to no one.
Speaker 1: Nash, though, here's the thing, he was just never the right guy. Even when things were going as good as humanly.
Speaker 2: Possible, when they were one foot step away for making it and winning the whole damn thing, because.
Speaker 1: They probably would have beaten the Suns.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest, it was still not going well.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Even then, Nash struggled with his rotations, his substitutions, understandings, the ebbs, and the flows of the game.
Speaker 1: From a coaching.
Speaker 2: Standpoint, that's hardly indictment on him, since I don't know.
Speaker 3: Check's notes, hasn't coached before ever on any level.
Speaker 1: Does he have a little binder full of plays? Probably not.
Speaker 2: The season ended because Kevin couldn't carry the team another minute, because Steve Nash put six players in an ot closeout game against Jonnis. There's a reason Kevin Durrant bawled out and air bowled his last shot in O T because he was exhausted. Playing for Steve Nash meant you had to play off the minutes. He was going to let these players ball till the wheels fell off.
Speaker 1: That's not coaching, folks, That's called.
Speaker 2: Being vintage Tom Thibodeau. And we probably should have seen it coming when Mike D'Antoni, the creator of the offense that Steve Nash decided to run, when he won two MVPs, when Harden won multiple MVPs, he was like, I am.
Speaker 1: Out of here. After one season, there were multiple rumors.
Speaker 2: Floating around about why and how he wasn't a fan of the way that Steve Nash coached last year, absolute clusterfuck. Harden was like, yeah, I know I asked to be here, but I want to get out of here. Get me out of here. The Nets then get Ben Simmons, who never suits hip in an entire game season, then get swept this offseason. We already know what that was, most toxic offseason in their history.
Speaker 1: His legacy, this part I have to say say I'm conflicted about because I hate it for Steve Nash, but I love it for me.
Speaker 2: His legacy will be remembered as a failure, starting.
Speaker 1: With Kyrie going on walk about not knowing where he was. How did he not know where he was? How did he not know.
Speaker 2: To call him and say where are you at? Did he just not answer? If your star player's not answering the head coaches calls or text we got problems? Doesn't get vaccinated. You guys already know you already know what it was. Was Nash responsible for this calamity? No, but he didn't help it either. This team needs a daddy and all they got was a substitute teacher trying to be their best friend.
Speaker 1: Yoda.
Speaker 2: So Nash has gone now, and I've got questions why now.
Speaker 1: Why they do it now? Why not in the off season? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Jacques Vaughan is now the interim head coach. Back to the circle that is Jacques Vaughan. Jacquevond gets done so wrong, gets done so dirty in the process. He always has to be an interim coach. He's always awesome. They never hire him full time. Shams though, now is reporting that e may Udoka will be taking over and hired as the coach of the Brooklyn Nets.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Remember when everyone told me Emai Udoka would never coach again. Turns out not only will he coach again, not only will he be a head coach again, he might coach the Brooklyn Nets.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about that Portland stand up. Portland's back on the map. If emay Udoka gets this job, I'll tell you what I I will feel good for my city. The one one or who knows, maybe more indiscretions didn't stop this man from doing what he does best, which taking a bunch of young men and turned him in discipline monsters who played defense and go to the finals. Does hiring e may you mean that Kevin Durant will stay does it mean that Kyrie will straighten up?
Speaker 1: I don't know. One thing is for certain. If anyone can do it, it's emy.
Speaker 2: What happened in Brooklyn was not Steve Nash's fault, but that obscures the most important fact.
Speaker 1: Again, I'll say it again. I'll say it again. I'll say it again.
Speaker 2: The Brooklyn Nets should have never hired Steve Nash in the first place, and even more so. And maybe you think this is me making it about me and not about the news, but you know what, this is personal. I was fucking right, and no amount of cyber bullying, no amount of T shirts, no amount of coworker conspiracies will ever stop me from planting my flag boom from that. They will not chase me away from my truth. Unlike Steve Nash, Unlike Ben Simmons, I'm not going to goddamn place.
Speaker 1: This league.
Speaker 2: That's all the time that we have for the emergency episode of The Heat Check. We'll be back Thursday night, probably Friday morning with an all new episode. Check out the feed for past episodes and many episodes which drop every single day. Do not forget to download, subscribe, Please tell your friends and if you're listening folks from TikTok do not support Hitler. I don't know why that needs to be said, but apparently it does in twenty twenty two. Right now, every single damn one of them, tell your friends, except for the ones that support Hitler and follow us on social at this heat check and at just to creek on TikTok, that's out.
Speaker 1: We out this bitch.