Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Geist. Road Truckers aka Deadliest Trend or Trendliest Catch aka Extreme trend Engineering, Walking with Zytosaurs.
Speaker 2: Dirt t DZ Jobs.
Speaker 1: These are all all Discovery Channel Original Programming short show titles courtesy of short show title Spice.
Speaker 2: Johnny Davis on the Discord.
Speaker 3: Jay d did we talk about that on Mike?
Speaker 2: I can't tell anymore?
Speaker 4: It all blends together, It all blends together, and people know the iconic song oh yeah by your.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh wow, what a jam? My name is Jack?
Speaker 1: That over there is Miles Young guys, we are young and all right. This is the episode where we tell you some of the things that are trending. There was a Trump appearance alongside Sarah Huckabee Sanders. That so a couple of clips going somewhat viral. Sarah Hugabye Sanders seemed really doubled down on the Trump campaign strategy of making fun of Kamala Harris for not physically having given birth to a child.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that anecdote.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the story is she's getting her daughter ready and her daughter says, it's okay, mommy, one day you can be pretty too. So my kid keep me humble when they're.
Speaker 4: I made her kneel on a pile of firewood for four days straight.
Speaker 1: For being Unfortunately, Kamala Harris doesn't have anything keeping her humble because she hasn't physically a given birth.
Speaker 3: Doesn't she have two children.
Speaker 5: Step children Jack, and those don't even fucking count people who beyond a biological imperative feel the need to take care of.
Speaker 2: Others and help them along in their lives. That's just not right.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmmm mmm mmm yeah, just going down on the whole fucking it's again, such a stupid strategy. You're like, even the numbers don't favor you. Maybe like the one thing if like ninety percent of Americans who were like you know, adults had fucking children or something, but it's like like less than fifty percent or sorry, yeah, yeah, it's about half of people under fifty don't have kids.
Speaker 1: So half of American adults under fifty don't have children. So like between eighteen and fifty, uh, you know, the people who are voting age and under fifty, half of.
Speaker 2: Them don't have children.
Speaker 1: Great, great, they're between twenty nine and thirty million step parents in the US and they're like, y fuck you and fos fuck you.
Speaker 4: All the numbers are on our sides. Man, you can have those twenty nine to thirty million, you can have half.
Speaker 3: Of American adults.
Speaker 4: That's uh, that's half the elect or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just a stupid, stupid thing. Also, like why are you the governor of Arkansas but you're doing a town hall in Michigan. I guess just because you're doing Trump type things. Yeah yeah, even like things yeah, like even the Trump campaigns, like for Gottess, I think we got to stop doing this.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was a senior member of Trump's campaign who called it actually offensive.
Speaker 3: It's actually that's the line that they had to draw.
Speaker 1: I mean, they must be like a step parent or something and they can't look beyond their own self interest or something, because it's a yeah, they're they're ive been saying a lot of offensive shit.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that this is the line in the sand.
Speaker 1: But I guess because Sarah Sanders is not one of the favored children or like a on the ticket, they can just be like, Wow, Sarah.
Speaker 3: That's fucked tho, why'd you do that? Why'd you?
Speaker 4: But also interesting to be like, for something that has been coming out of the campaign so consistently to be someone who's actually advising the campaign, like that's actually offensive. It's like, well, what about all the you know about JD never mind, great ship, great operation you have you have running here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like when it feels like they're probably annoyed, the JD Vance keeps doubling down on that, you know, approach to the voters of being like, right, if you don't have kids, you're fucking weird. But they like haven't been able to say anything because his name's on the ticket, So now they're finally like.
Speaker 3: What the fuck Sarah, Yeah, cool, what.
Speaker 4: Did you do?
Speaker 3: Oh man?
Speaker 4: And we get it here at Trump Vance twenty twenty four. That's offensive and we don't like it when anyone except those two the two principles of the campaign do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But at that same time, at that whatever quote unquote talent Hall, whatever you want to call it, like fucking sundown Fest.
Speaker 2: Again Sundowntown and sundown Fest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, it's really great double rundown at the Sundowntown Sundowntown, But no, five Dubould Flint is it Sundowntown. But he kept like just rambling there was a question about like she's like, President Trump, how will you bring prices down? And I don't even I could play the clip, but it's like fourteen minutes long. Well, the question was, how will you bring prices down? He's like, well, first of all, it's all about energy. Everything's tied to energy. Like he's doing, he does this thing where rather than answer question, the exercises, how do I tie your question to like the two things I can kind of speak coherently about and making the reason and late grade Hannibal Elector and those Erector sets were fantastic. But anyway, talking about windmills, he was talking about fucking farmers who were like had tears in their eyes and like all this weird shit.
Speaker 3: It just was. It was nothing.
Speaker 4: Then he also, this guy is fucking like he's so cooked he doesn't even know he talks about Bogrum Air Force Base. I'm gonna just play a clip for you and we can talk about it. On the other side, when he's talking about energy independence but in a really stupid way.
Speaker 6: We're energy independent.
Speaker 3: We were soon going to be energy.
Speaker 6: Dominant, and we would have been now having so much money coming out of the energy where we just have the best. We have Bogram in Alaska. They say it might be as big, might be bigger than all of Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 3: I got it. Ronald Reagan couldn't do it. Nobody could do it.
Speaker 6: I got it done in their first week.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. So for those yeah, exactly, bog I feel like I heard that, but I thought that was in relation to the Afghanistan withdrawal, because that's a air Force base in Afghanistan. And so he's like, we've got Bagram at home, folks, and you're like, what are you talking about now, I'm not doing the what Aaron Rupar has coined as sinewashing. The thing he's probably talking about Alaska that had the potential for a lot of oil was anwar a n w R. That's the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge that he did approve. But then shit, just like it just wasn't happening at the end of the day. So but begain because he's so senile and is unable to say that out loud in a coherent way, He's just like that, that's we've got so much bogrum in Alaska, it'll make you go and war. And then he like goes back. I don't know why. It sounded like he was trying to have like someone may have clarified to him. He's like, why don't you look that up? Bogram as if like maybe he is like, don't maybe, I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. Here's him coming back to Bogrum and war whatever year. Go take it away, Donald.
Speaker 6: Check that one out, bog check that one out on It's it's you know, think about this between bogram between you go to an war?
Speaker 3: Oh you remember?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Again, this is this guy.
Speaker 4: He's in free fall, like he can't say anything that makes sense. But it was so bad. Dude, Fox, who normally will play everything he says, you know, like like all of his remarks fully they are now I think they realize the best way for them to help the Trump campaign is to limit people's ability to view what he's saying all the time, because it just starts falling apart. This is on Fox or like Laura Ingram's like, all right now, let's throw it over to like drunk judge Janine Piro to make sense of this, Like mid sentence for him talking.
Speaker 6: We're gonna seal the border immediately, We're gonna drill, baby, drill.
Speaker 5: You know, we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Drill at a level.
Speaker 6: We're gonna bring your energy prices down.
Speaker 4: Join me now, Judging and Erra co host on the five We're gonna dip back in frum Sevant with Sarah Huckabee Sanders Boom. So yeah, it's just it's and yet the biggest, uh what the biggest threat to manufacturing in Michigan was, And he was.
Speaker 1: Like nuclear weapons, which was, you know, I mean that that would be bad, that would be bad for manufacturing in Michigan. And then he also spent the longest, most coherent portion of that PEP rally was him talking about how good his answers usually are, and he's like, I talk about Hannibal Lecter, I talk about but I bring it all back around in the end and it's so perfect and nobody wants to give me credit. So he can still talk about like how sick his answers are. He just can't actually answer anything because then it gets, uh, I don't know, a little fog.
Speaker 4: That's where that's where we are, folks, that's where we are.
Speaker 3: Media.
Speaker 4: Why don't you that's just change your rhetoric to dude, this dude is so old, you didn't even we don't even know what he's saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the first like really positive polling news for Trump I've seen in a long time, and this is I think troubly. I mean, I know it's a small sample size, but the Teamster members of the Teamsters union were pulled in advance of the union like deciding who they would endorse in the presidential election, and they preferred Trump to Kamala Harris two to one sixty percent, almost two to one sixty percent to thirty four percent who backed Harris. A separate survey conducted via phone similarly had Trump up big fifty eight percent to thirty one percent, which I was like, okay, but maybe that's just usual for this group of people. But they actually had Biden ahead of Trump among Teamsters forty six percent to thirty seven percent, like when Biden was still running. So I don't know exactly what the fuck is going on there, but this is the first piece of news I've heard in a while where I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, ah, fuck, we're fucked.
Speaker 2: It's it's happening again, It's going to happen again.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, there's so much there's so much labor shit happening right now. You have like thirty three thousand people striking at Boeing. They're like dock workers who are also at least like potentially on like October first, there could be around twenty five thousand dock workers all along like the Eastern seaboard that would go on strike. That's huge, Like, that's that would be very disruptive. And you're like like maybe you can talk if you walk the picket lines or something to something to show a little bit more. Yeah, like you have you got their backs. But yeah, it's just like the Democrats haven't really said much on the Boeing strike at all, but you'd think, like in terms of this like getting as much union support as possible, when you have these kinds of moments like with dock workers or you know, people working at like an aerospace company, you can be like, yeah, man, that's like like even like when Biden was doing the minimum minimum, I mean granted he did walk the picket line, was just like, yeah, they deserve it. It's like just yeah, that's the kind of stuff they're looking for. But yeah, I mean Sean O'Brien also, I think just made it very palatable for them to fully yeah, yeah, just be like like just take the mask off and be like yeah, come on, baby, like.
Speaker 3: Come on, we're all racist here.
Speaker 1: Come on, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about a new trailer that captured my attention, has me excited.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 4: We're back.
Speaker 1: And Bong June Hoe, who I don't think has released anything since.
Speaker 2: Has he made anything since Parasite, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: He's been in the lab, just uh watching watching movies, which one of my favorite facts about him is he wakes up at five every morning and watches a movie.
Speaker 3: Love love that for him.
Speaker 1: He just dropped the trailer for his upcoming film Mickey seventeen and its stars Robert Pattinson. It has it's like the vibe of the trailer is two thousand and one meets the Tom Cruise movie Edge of Tomorrow right Like it's oh right, right, right yeah, looping death like I'm dying over and over and over again, coming back to life. But it looks it looks like a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but it's like about basically some technology where you consent to being replicated over and over, but you're gonna die a bunch of times. But then they can just print out a new body for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you somehow know that you've died and remember your death.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, which is usually when we talk about like replicants and things like that, or you know, like a body double that's been created. They typically feels like the hard drive been wiped every time. But yeah, somehow you get to have all your traumatic memories of all the ways you've died. But it feels like like light hearted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lighthearted, darkly fun and chaotic, and I'm on board. I'm righty baby, take me on June.
Speaker 4: It's an adaptation I guess of it Edward Ashton.
Speaker 3: Novel Okay found Out. Yeah, I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: The FBI is investigating packages sent to election officials in more than fifteen states, which I don't.
Speaker 3: Know that this story is affected by.
Speaker 2: Like, so they've recovered the packages.
Speaker 3: They have like.
Speaker 4: A white powder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a there's a mysterious substance. But this US story obviously made me think about the wild story about the pagers and radios blowing up in the pockets of Yeah, has.
Speaker 4: Been like all that Yeah, that was That was like something like even my friends were texting about. They're like, yo, what the fuck was going on? Like page because it said what twelve people were killed and then like tho, like twenty seven hundred were wound injured.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which, yeah, if you're just have a thousand things explode all at the same time, you know, nobody is looking out for being like, ah, we got to hold off because this.
Speaker 4: Person is like in a room full of kids, in a.
Speaker 2: Room full of kids or whatever.
Speaker 1: So my question was like, wait, do they just have the ability to like overheat a device but they had kid explosives in them ahead of time? But I think that's I don't know, I think like that that I think freaked a lot of people out because we're all like a little bit afraid of what our phones are doing to us from our part.
Speaker 4: Feels like some black mirror shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: But no, this was actually, uh you know the Israeli government tampering with pagers that made them go boom.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And again like there was a video like one guy was like in a grocery store and like just near a bunch of people who had nothing to do with anything, Yes, but hey, this is uh, you're taking them out. And I think this is also a lot of people have talked about how this is sort of like net and Yahoo's way to respond to all the structural security failures that happened on October over seventh is to have these very big, dramatic, spectacular sort of reprisal assassinations, like whether that's hitting you know, the head of Hamas in Tehran or just having thousands of pagers or whatever, hundreds and thousands of pagers go off at.
Speaker 1: This blow up wherever they happen to be, which feels like terrorism to just like be blowing things up regardless of who is around.
Speaker 4: Well, it depends on if you ask the US State Department or maybe an international Court of justice. So it's it's really it all depends on.
Speaker 3: It's real great I was asking in this case, all right.
Speaker 1: And then finally we mentioned earlier in the week that the police shot two subway riders, one of them in the fucking head earlier this week in New York City, just to take down a quote fair evader, somebody who had skipped the turnstile at the in the New York City subway system. The fair Vader had a knife, which he only produced once the cops chased him for not paying at the gate. So now he's going to be charged for attempted assault and two counts of fair evasion because two counts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, at one point during the chase, he left the station and then came back in through an emergency exit, so oh oh okay.
Speaker 4: Really to make sure yeah, yeah, yeah, make sure you throw that other fucking fair evasion onto the What the fuck is this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I think it just shows the like we say, a need to decriminalize this kind of shit, because it's only like every argument that's you know, saying like, well they lose so much money, right, you know, these these transit systems lose so much money or it becomes much safer. That's why we have to criminalize everything. It's like that's really not supported by a lot of the data that's out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, New York City spent two hundred and forty nine million dollars on cops who are specifically there to battle fair evasion for four years, which the MTA claimed would cost them two hundred million dollars. But I can't imagine that's in any way true but if so, you're not still not coming out even.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're only fifty million in the hole after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, experts have found no evidence that lighter penalties for fair evasion would lead to greater revenue loss for transit agencies. And revenue loss is kind of the argument that these people always put boys, Yeah, it's like that it's actually costing us revenue, which you would think they would be like, no, we're just like committed to safety.
Speaker 4: Have you seen the state of the New York subway system? Right, Like where does that money go? Because every time, like I'm every time I've been there, and when I have my friends in New York send me said like when it rains, you're like, ah, how much money? Like how how how? How how worthy improvement?
Speaker 1: And the overwhelming conclusion from experts who looked into it is that fair enforcement is inherently racist and disproportionately targets people of color. In New York City in twenty eighteen, ninety four percent of people arrested for fair evasion were black. So ninety four yeah, interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the other point that people make, like Gavin Newsome for the build, Yeah, we had a bill to decriminalize fair evasion and sent it back, and his two arguments were loss of money, like loss of revenue because so many people use empty the metro in LA but loss of revenue, and also like the danger to riders. But the decriminalizing fair evasion would actually make transit less dangerous according to studies. One report concluded that transit systems that rely on policing make their riders less safe. And all you have to do is look at the news story from earlier this month.
Speaker 4: Seriously, Oh, someone had a bullet hit their head for two dollars and ninety cents or two hundred and forty nine million. I don't even use whatever figure you want over that. But again, it's just like this idea that suddenly when money revenues are a lot, like the state loses out on revenue, then you can shoot people or chase them and put others in danger.
Speaker 1: I do feel like the way you put that is how the New York Daily News and New York Post would put it. Someone had a bullet hit their head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's completely it hit my head. Yeah they throw it bullet, they blew it at my head. Yeah, sure they threw it. I don't know, but a little bit probably raised it.
Speaker 4: But you look at again, like what we even see as like the ability to move from like what's offered by a municipality, state government. It's like these things should be very affordable or fucking take a note from the Europeans man advocate for like make that shit free. Yeah, like how I just didn't even know that there were like groups in the Europe were like yeah, bro, like we're here to fucking like pay your fines if you want to, if you want to do.
Speaker 1: Some fa Harris and Sweden both have organizations that were created to basically do community funded insurance systems for riders, so you just never pay your fare. There's this central fund that everybody pays a little bit into every month, like less they pay in less than the cost of transit, and then if somebody does get fined, the fund pays for it, and like this is not a secret thing. In Sweden, they have booths set up outside of stations and hand out flyers as well as free coffee and cookies, so they're just like, hey, like this should be free. Here's our fun booth, have a cookie and talk to us for a minute.
Speaker 4: That's just a way better deal too. It's like, well, what's like the monthly If I had to pay for a monthly transit pass, that's like, well like five times what I got to do to just pay for my fare. Dodging insurance. It makes more sense financially, but it makes more sense.
Speaker 1: Their goal isn't just to save money, it's to promote the fact, like you said, Miles, that public mobility should be viewed as an inherent right, and that this is just the first step. Eliminating the fair entirely would promote mobility as a human right. Could be us, but we're a little too capitalism brained, Like, no such thing free ride.
Speaker 4: Come on the Nimbi people in this country, the idea of anyone being able to go wherever in their town for free, they'd be like, no, not no, no, have to be we have to be insulated by our socioeconomic class. And if you can afford to get here them, fine, But if you can't stay your ass where you can afford to go, because fuck all that.
Speaker 3: Fully at all?
Speaker 1: All right, those are some of the things that are trending on this Wednesday, September eighteenth.
Speaker 2: We are back tomorrow.
Speaker 1: With the whole last episode of the show and until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Bye bye,