Speaker 1: Welcome to the best of the week for What's Right with Nick Right the best takes in moments from this week on the show. Enjoy.
Speaker 2: So the Bucks moved to two to zero after a late score led by Baker late in the game. Is betting Baker down a score late in the game as much of a lock is good of a lock these days?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Listen, shout out producer Daniel, who texted the group when Baker got the ball back down five? You know, is this an auto bet? And I think we you know, I bet it. I think he bet it. I also had the Bucks parlayed with the Raiders, so I'm glad I bet it because I ended up losing that one, so this made up for it. I couple things about that. One is about the specific game, and then I'll get to Baker. I never feel like team or very often announcers make a big enough deal of the two point conversion to go up seven. So last night the Texans, Nick Chubb breaks off this great run, so they score with how much time is left? When they score two? Ten left? And that two point conversion they go for there is just so wildly important because you get it and likely overtimes the worst case scenario, you don't get it, and you almost feel like, man, do we wish Chub hadn't have scored because if Chubb, if Chubb had gone down, and then you're in a position where because they were at the time Houston was down, what would they have been down? They were down four? Right then, I'm an idiot? Why can I not get this right? The they got? Why am I so dumb? Right now? The score of the game five was fourteen thirteen. Yeah, jesus, they're down one. I'm such what the hell just happened there? And if Chubb doesn't score, all of a sudden, Tampa is having to use its timeouts. You're kicking a field goal, you know, potentially later. But Chubb does score, that's great. You want the seven, but what you need is the eight. They don't get the two point conversion, and now Baker's in business. All three timeouts two minutes can get going with that said, Texans had him in fourth and ten, and then Baker did some really cool Baker stuff, escaping the rush, running seemingly got hurt, then got saved by the fact that Chauncey Gardner Johnson was talking trash and all of a sudden, he wasn't hurt anymore, and he popped up to talk drafts right back to him. Baker is just the best, and Baker absolutely can win League MVP this year. Absolutely can, and the Bucks absolutely can be the one seed as predicted on this show.
Speaker 2: Bucks, No, why would I?
Speaker 1: I mean, they have played two road games against teams that were considered either possible or likely playoff teams. They could have lost both, and Baker made game winning plays in the waning moments of both. Now they get the Jets, then a tough home game against the Eagles, but they play the Eagles really well. Seahawks, Niners, Lions. It's not easy. But no, they've got a real.
Speaker 2: You're missing a couple of guys on offense right now too.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, Godlin's going to be coming back. No, now, I think they lost excuse me, Elijah Cantsey in that game. That's concerning. But no, the Bucks are for real now. On the Baker piece of it, it really gets lost in the shuffle, Demons, not lost in the shuffle. But I just want to reiterate this that the Cleveland Browns spent the number one overall pick on Baker Mayfield watched him in his second year win a playoff game for them, and then they were like, yeah, he's not good enough for us. They're like, yeah, we can do better. You're the Cleveland Browns. And you decided that Baker Mayfield was not uh And I said in his second year he won the playoff game. It was in his third year he won the playoff game. Pardon me, you decided a guy who won a playoff game as a Browns homegrown starting quarterback wasn't good enough for you because Odell Beckham Junior's dad put out an Instagram mixtape ripping It in a year he played hurt It and now you're just in hell. It's really really unbelievable. And I love seeing Baker have this success. I love it so much. The flip side demons is panic meter is at a seven for the Texans and for CJ.
Speaker 2: Like, if you're losing, like after, he shouldn't bring it out in the third game. He's done at the first two games. He shouldn't be able to.
Speaker 1: I don't even know. I'll be honest, I don't even know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, it's it's probably algorithm. Well, he's like doing between the legs, walking up and down the field. Maybe you throwing out your receivers or something. Guys need to be more in tune. But yeah, while losing that, you can't be doing that. Just feel like the sport.
Speaker 1: No I like it. I mean, I mean I like your your critique of.
Speaker 2: It, but yeah, like you said, ever since he said that thing to Caleb Williams, it's just kind of been on a downward slope.
Speaker 1: Contractually obligated to give you guys the numbers on this one, CJ. Stroud. Let me see if I can get Football Reference to cooperate with me. CJ. Stroud through that game with Caleb Williams in the regular season in his career eleven and six twenty six touchdowns, five picks, a one oh one rating. CJ. Stroud since he told Caleb Williams, come here, a young fellow, let me teach you a thing or two. Eight and nine eighteen touchdowns, thirteen picks and eighty five rating, life can come out with your fast man and the Texans offensive operation just does not look good. The defense is still awesome, but what the Texans have going for them, obviously is the division. They're in and if you don't believe in the Colts, that division's gonna feel winnable. But they they're at Jacksonville this weekend, big game. That's that's for both teams. Big game, big game. Then they get a little respit against the Titans. Then it's at the Ravens at Seattle. It's tough man and so yeah, I'd be I'd be a little more than a little nervous if I were the Texans. All right, let's get to the other Monday night game.
Speaker 2: So the Chargers look good again for the most part last night with another divisional win. Do you think this is the cream of the crop in that division?
Speaker 1: Listen, I think the Chiefs will end up winning the division, but I have to give the Chargers have looked really good. Now. I thought the Chargers at the end of the game, as I said earlier, made some really really poor game management decisions, and I don't understand like the Chargers. It's fine, I guess, but it is odd to me that both the Chargers and Otter for the Raiders spent such premium draft picks on running backs and don't want to give them the ball like the Raiders refuse usual to get Ashton Genty involved, and it's like, because he's not good in pass protection, we'll just have I understand, you don't want to tip your hand on Oh we're running this guy's you know on the field, But you can't spend the sixth pick of the draft on a guy he was, you know, and give him eleven carries in a game where Gino's having the worst game of his career. Just can't do it. And the Chargers defense looks awesome and Herbert's been really good. My only Charger concern is I think Herbert's running it too much, and that is concerning the other piece of that game is and do we have any reporting on what Khalil Mack's injury was. I know that he was in a sling and he was holding his arm and so that didn't look good. That could be really damaging as well the Raiders. The It would have been amazing if the Raiders could have started three and oh, all right, I'm sorry, two and oh they they'll they'll take one in one, especially because Demon's Raiders next four at the Commanders in a game Jayden might not play, then Home Bears at calls Home Titans. Raiders really need to make Hey this next month and Geno will bounce back. That was a really rough Geno game, and we talked a little bit about the Chargers earlier. Today's show is brought to you by our new presenting sponsor, hard rock Bet. It's week three, but if you haven't tried your first bet on hard rock Bet, there's still time for you to get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets if you win. Just place a five dollar bet and if it hits, you not only get your winnings, but one hundred and fifty dollars in extra bonus bets. If you want to see what other people are betting on from now through the weekend, the hard rock Bet app shows you trending parlays, the most bet player props, top picked up sets, and more. Just download the app and all this info is a tap away. Hard Rock Bet has new promos every day this week. There's profit boosts for five straight days of football. That's a Thursday Night profit boost, a Friday college football profit boost, another profit boost for Saturday college games, plus NFL profit boosts for Sunday's games, and Monday Night. Every Thursday on hard rock Bet, you get legendary reward drops, drops full of rewards like bonus bets, parlay, insurance, and more. Open up your drop in time for this weekend's game and see what you get. Hard Rock Bet is the only legal sportsbook in the state of Florida and is also available in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, and Colorado, with more states launching all the time. Head over to hard Rock Bet, sign up and make your first deposit today. Payable and bonus bets not a cash offer offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida. In Florida, offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital, LLC and all other states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one Triple eight Admit it. In Indiana, if you were someone you know has a problem and wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. Gambling problem call one eight hundred Gambler in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee and Virginia. I am not going to sit here and act like everything's fine with the Chiefs right now. It is. There are some I want to focus on the concern things that have occurred in both games. Okay, So for instance, Week one, the secondary, which has been a strength of this team, looked hugely problematic against Herbert and the Chargers. Week two, I thought the secondary looked really good. Right, So like that's the one good game, one bad game. I'm not focusing on that. Here is what through two weeks looks problematic, and I don't know where the solve for it is. The Chiefs running game is as inept right now as it's ever been since Patrick's been there. Pachecko sadly just does not look like the same player he was before he broke his leg. And what's odd about it is his biggest problem through two weeks doesn't seem to be explosion. It seems to be vision and hitting the right hole. You wouldn't think that is related to a lower body injury, but he just hasn't been effective. Kareem Hunt is who he is. If you need one yard more way, more often than not, he will get it for you, but he has no chance of getting you ten. And they brought in Elijah Mitchell. Nothing's happened there. They drafted Brischard Smith in the I think seventh round. He's seventh round rookie. Like they just right now don't have the horses in the running back room, and that is a spot that I would not at all hate for them to be active on in the trade market. I think we have. There has been a lot of discussion of should the Chiefs trade for Tyreek Hill? The wide receivers are coming back, Okay, I if I were doing a trade with Miami, I might be equally, if not more, interested in Devin h Chan Like I think that there are you running backs will be and should be available, and that might be a spot that they have to bite the bullet and spend some draft capital via trade on. So that's one piece and here's another one. As good as Josh Simmons has been at the left tackle spot, Patrick still doesn't feel totally comfortable in his protection. Now, some of that's been the left guard spot's been really problematic. But Creed's great, Tray's great, Simmons is really good. Joan Taylor when he's not committing penalties is fine, and Patrick just seems like he doesn't trust it right now. And I am as he's confident in Patrick Mahomes as any player that's ever played in the league, that he will figure stuff out. And there have been times this season where it has felt like he's out there. I don't want to say by himself, but nobody can get open. They can't run the ball, which has forced him to and this is the part of the season that I have liked the absolute least. It has forced him to activate playoff running Mahomes in weeks one and two, and I despise that because obviously it puts him in jeopardy, which is the biggest concern. But the other thing is one of the reasons he has had the postseason success that he's had. One of the reasons he has been so much more dynamic and effective statistically and from a winning perspective on a per game basis than any other quarterback in the history of the league come the postseason is because every single postseason he adds a huge weapon to his game that is not there in the regular season, which is the quarterback runs the scrambles, and if he's using that during the regular season. It has just multiple concerns. One is he can get banged up. Another is you're not getting that auto postseason boost. Like Josh Allen and Lamar are unbelievable runners at the quarterback position. They do it starting in Week one and never stop. So it doesn't add an element to their game come the playoffs. It has for Patrick and the last listen issue on offense is the greatest tight end in the history of the league has had a really rough two weeks. There's no way around it. Third play of the season. I thought it was Xavier's mistake. He says it was his mistake that he ran the wrong depth of his route and Xavier's hurt. Later in that game, he and Patrick aren't on quite the same page. When they're down nine about to score, they don't connect on what would have been a touchdown. And then obviously the Eagles game, they're about to take the lead and he bobbles a pass and it turns into a game changing interception. That's all. It's been highly damaging. I don't know if it's yet highly concerning, but it's highly damaging. Okay, So there is that piece of it on the defensive side of the ball. The only complaint I have after week two is they cannot seem to get pressure without sending a blitz, like if they rush for they just can't and not get home. So I don't know if that means the rookies Ashton Jalot or Omar Norman Lot need to be more effective. Certainly Charles Amena who needs to be more effective. Mike Dana got hurt in this game. That didn't help. George Garloft has just got paid by this team, he needs to be more effective. Like Chris Jones is a man on an island at times. And so those are real problems, okay, And right now the Chiefs don't deserve to be anything close to Super Bowl favorites. I'm not gonna sit here and act like, ah, they got unlucky, they got this. No. If anything, it is surprising that they have had a chance to win both of these games when they haven't played well. They've missed kicks in both games, they have haven't forced a turnover. So that is the true and fair, sober analysis of where the Chiefs are through two weeks. Anything past that is nonsense. Anyone trying to pedal Wow, should they be worried about making the playoffs. I think has lost their mind. Now is the division for the first time in jeopardy. Yeah, when you're zero to two and a team that beat you is two to zero with a divisional win, it's understandable that the Chiefs are no longer the favorites in the division Demons And where where does hard Rock Bet have them at right now?
Speaker 2: They've got them at plus two forty to win the division? Should you hammer that?
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, as it's not surprising to you. Probably I have a lot of exposure already on the Chiefs, you know, futures and season and win total. But I think plus two point forty is good value right now when I do right now, if I had to pick it, I would still pick the Chiefs to win the division. And part of that is some concerning stuff I saw no from no from the Chargers the Houston doesn't apply here from the Chargers last night late in that game, and we'll get into that when we talk about the Chargers. I thought the Chargers almost went out of their way to try to keep the Raiders in that game. And it's what's true for Patrick is true for all these quarterbacks. Any quarterback that's running a ton early in the year, I get worried about. And Justin Herbert's running a lot, and you know that I think that, And he took a wicked shot yesterday, and then they also had him late in the game when the game was decided to another quarterback run that I totally didn't understand. And so I still believe the Chiefs are the best team in the AFC West. You can't right now say they're better than Buffalo or Baltimore. You can say, however, right now, in a span of two quick weeks, after for the last few years the AFC clearly being the better of the two conferences, the NFC right now seems far superior and far deeper. Like demon's who in the AFC East Buffalo, Miami, New England, the Jets. There's one team you believe in in Buffalo, the AFC North, Baltimore, since Pittsburgh, Cleveland, there's one team you believe in the AFC South. Right now, there might be zero teams you believe in unless you or the generic you to the audience really does believe what the culture doing is sustainable. I don't know that I believe it the AFC West, on the other hand, might have a bunch of you know, the Chargers, the Broncos, the Chiefs, the Raiders. Still like it is, It's remarkable to me how open the middle part of the conferences. And so I think it's fair to say the Chiefs have basically not punted but given up the opportunity to be the one seed. You know, I think that's fair. I think there's you know, there are real things they need to clean up. I also feel this way, they are potentially twelve days away from everyone saying how silly we should feel for writing off the Chiefs because you beat the Giants this weekend. You didn't have a game against Baltimore that if you win, you're right back to being the Chiefs and all this stuff about oh the mystique is gone or this or that that's gone like that and that conversation is gone and so big but big next few weeks and big stretch of time before Rashi comes back. Xavier might be back this weekend, he'll definitely be back for the Raven game. And listen, they need to have a receiver that can beat man to man coverage and the idea that like mahomes is being exposed without a dynamic receiver is belied by the fact that he won League MVP with a receiving corps led by juju An MVS, and the next year won Super Bowl MVP with an even worse receiving corps. And last year they went fifteen to two and made the Super Bowl with Rashim missing basically the whole year. So I think that's too reactionary, but somebody's got to get open at some point. Ever, sign up for phone plan thinking wow, great price, and then a few months later it's like, surprise, your bill's higher. With boost Mobile. You paid twenty five dollars a month forever. That's a limited talk, text and data starting at just twenty five dollars a month, no price hikes, no contract forever. Plus. Boost Mobile is now a legit nationwide five G network. They've invested billions building five G towers across the country. Visit boostmobile dot com or head to your local boost store today and get unlimited talk, text and data for twenty five dollars a month forever. Five G speeds not available in all areas after thirty gigs. Customers may experience lower speeds customers will pay twenty dollars a month as long as they remain active on the Boost Unlimited plan.
Speaker 2: Let's talk Chief Giants. A big game for your boys over there in narrow Head. Yeah, so they got the Giants this Sunday. They are zero and two. For the first time in the Mahomes era they faced the Giants. Obviously, they are one and eleven in the last twelve at MetLife. What is at stake for Kansas City here?
Speaker 1: Well, I if they were to lose Sunday, I are They're one to eleven in the last twelve met Life. Yeah, I was gonna say it wouldn't that was like that. That number surprised me. I'm sure it's not that. I wonder what their record is the Giants in their last twelve last games. It can't be really good. It might be four and eight, but one of eleven in the last twelve night games. Here's the deal. If I'm being honest, I will not if they lose Sunday. I won't feel in my bones that they can't rally and make the playoffs. And if the Chiefs make the playoffs, I'm sure by the you know, if they were to fall to zero and three and then make the playoffs. I'm sure by the time the playoffs were all around all really like their chances. But I am now saying sober minded before the game. If they lose Sunday, it will signal that this team is not a true contender the way Rechiefs team has been since Mahomes got there, not because they can't rally from zero to three, but because if you can't beat the New York Giants in a game, you've got to have without and you should have Xavier Worthy back for it. I would think, so the only super key player you're missing is Rashid Rice, then you're not going to be good enough over the course of the season to be a real super Bowl contender. So for Giants, by the way, five and twelve at home since twenty twenty three, So it's about what we would have thought. So that's what's on the line. I have joked, not really joked, that Mahomes has never had to play a meaningful regular season game, and that is a little hyperbolic, but in fact, I think what I've said is Mahomes has never lost a meaningful regular season game, and that to me was literally true until two years ago when they actually had to go on the road in the playoffs, with my argument having been the whole point of the regular season is to get the best seat as possible and to get home field in the playoffs. And if the Chiefs have never gone on the road in the playoffs, then none of the losses have ever hurt them. Two years ago when they did have to go on the road in the playoffs, some of those losses I suppose did hurt them, but none of those games demons felt like they had the stakes of Sunday Night. You can, I think, explain away the first two weeks. Week one, whole game plans thrown off off by Worthy getting hurt. They you know, they they don't play well, they can't. Herbert's playing out of his mind, you know. And the Chargers win a neutral site game. Okay, you know what I mean, not what you'd hope for, but okay. Game two, the Chiefs again can't really get the passing game going without their two star receivers or potential star receivers. Despite that, and despite missing a kick and despite failing on a fourth down early in the third quarter, they're on the precipice of taking the lead and having control of the game, and Kelsey makes a mistake, you know what I mean, And you're playing a great team in Philadelphia. Fine, again, not good and not excuses and not saying the Chiefs deserve to win either game, but neither one of those in a vacuum. If either one of those games had happened in week five or Week eight or week twelve, no one be concerned about it. You know what I mean. Okay, you lose a one score neutral site game to a contender in the Chargers. You lose a three point hard fought game to the Eagles, so be it. Because they happen in weeks one and two, and they're on the heels of the Chiefs getting dog walked in the super Bowl. It feels seismic, but in reality it's understandable. Losing to the Giants this weekend would not be understandable. It would mean that they are there are some systemic issues with the team for this season that are not fixable to the tune of going on a Super Bowl run. And so that's what's on the line for Kansas City in this game. I know you have some follow ups here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you still worried at all? About the pass rush and Russ comeing off of probably his best game, or one of his best games in his career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't know how you can. I don't know how you cannot be worried about the pass rush, to be totally honest with you, Like Chris Jones tends to get better as this season goes along. I know he's an older player. I still believe he's the best de tackle in football. He hasn't been dominant the first two weeks, but I believe in Chris Carloftis just got paid. Carloftis was a first round pick. Carloftis needs to be better. And then the other guys Mike Dana who's hurt now, Charles Amenaho who has been disappointing and been wholly ineffective thus far this season, and then you have Ashton Gillette, Gelot Jellette, my apologies a rookie, Omar Norman rookie. They've gotta be able to create some type of pressure without sending a blitz. With that said, I Russ having four hundred and fifty yards last week does to me, does not play into this at all.
Speaker 2: Like I.
Speaker 1: Last week, Russ was unbelievable. I don't think that was him all of a sudden, turning back the clock permanently. I think that was him turning back the clock for an evening. Now, let me give you the bright side of if they win. Okay, if they win, and I believe they will win, I don't necessarily think it'll be pretty. I don't necessarily think it'll be easy. But I am arrow deep confident they'll win. They win all of a sudden, they are playing a week four game to totally flip every narrative that's existed thus far. Because you know who comes to Kansas City in Week four? Your Baltimore Ravens. Yeah, and the so the the what are you shaking your head about?
Speaker 2: Tell me, no, boys need to be worried.
Speaker 1: Oh the Chiefs need to be worried. Maybe, but but just follow me down this path. The point I'm making is the Chiefs then will have in front of them the ability, if they win Sunday, to say, we win this home game against a team we literally always beat, and they're the AFC contender everyone's worried about. We get the whole Oh, if people freaked out about the Chiefs, they had this brutal opening schedule. You know, they dealt with an injury, dealt with a suspension. They're two and two anyway, and Baltimore leaves that game at best two and two, and we'll see what happens in Baltimore Detroit on Monday night or I don't know if that's Monday or Sunday, Sunday night. I know it's a night game. Oh no, the Chiefs Sunday night obviously, so it's Monday night, and maybe Baltimore is the team everyone's freaking out about, right, And so certainly if Baltimore loses to Detroit, people will be freaking out if they fall to one and three, so they just have the opportunity to turn the whole thing. It will not feel that way at all if they lose to the Giants. If they lose to the Giants, they will just feel like a bad team with a great quarterback. And I don't believe that's what they are, but they got to go prove it Sunday night.
Speaker 2: So you have seven teams above the Chiefs right now, and the Tears. I know that has to kill you. Is this the worst that you felt about the Mahomes? The worst that you felt about the Chiefs in the Mahomes.
Speaker 1: Era, No, the worst I felt about them was post It was the twenty twenty one season. They had just gotten annihilated by the Box in the Super Bowl, and that next year, not only did they start three and four, but some ugly moments. Week one, they were playing Cleveland and escaped with a win. Week two, Baltimore goes for a fourth down late and beats them. Week three the Chargers, if I beat them at the buzzer essentially, and then week five they get annihilated by the Bills. And then week seven they get annihilated twenty seven to three by the Titans. The Titans, and so that team fell to three and four, and you know, at that point, I guess you include the Super Bowl, had lost five out of eight and it was up until that Super Bowl against the Bucks, Mahomes had never lost a game by more than eight points. And then all of a sudden, they get blasted in the Super Bowl. They get beat by eighteen by Buffalo, they get beat by twenty four by Tennessee, and a span of you know, two months or two football months, that was the low point. Now that team ended up going from three and four to twelve and five, and then in the AFC Championship Game, up twenty one to three at half time before that second half meltdown against Cincinnati. And that was the only year in this six year stretch they haven't made the Super Bowl. But that was the worst I've ever felt about them. This this so but this is.
Speaker 2: Second the Giants. Okay, yeah, I was able to say with a Giants win on Sunday, it's getting pretty oh no, no, no.
Speaker 1: A Giants win puts us in totally new territory.