Speaker 1: During this month of January, much of America found itself in a deep freeze, a cold snap that reached much further and wider than normal, making many of us very grateful for temperate climates and warmer seasons. Thankfully, we know that the frigid weather won't last forever. Spring will come knocking and we'll let it in with all the excitement we heap upon a child returning from college for the first time. With our central heating and air conditioning systems, it can be easy to feel disconnected from the seasons, unless an extreme weather event comes round to remind us that Mother Nature is still firmly in charge. Not so for America's farmers. Farmers are still connected to the earth, to the dirt, to the land in a way that most no longer understand. The slightest upset can really recavoc especially on a small family farm, which brings me to today's episode of love Someone. Fathom Entertainment is bringing an inspirational new film to theaters nationwide on January thirty first, through Fathom Events, Green and Gold, starring Craig T. Nelson and I'm bringing Craig T. Nelson to you. You are familiar with this much beloved actor from his many many roles such as Hayden Fox in the sitcom Coach, and from films like Stir Crazy, Poltergeist, All the Right Moves, Action, Jackson and Turner, and Hooch. He's also the voice of Mister Incredible in The Incredibles and its sequel. He also starred as Zeke Braveman in the TV drama series Parenthood, and most recently was Dale Ballard, Mima's love interest in Young Sheldon. And that's just naming a few of the many many shows and movies he's done. In Green and Gold, Craig T. Nelson portrays Buck Buck is a Wisconsin dairy farmer with foreclosure looming over the land his family has cultivated for over four generations. We will talk to CRAIGT. Nelson about this new role as soon as I've cultivated some gratitude for today's podcast sponsor. Everyone knows I'm a Laura Geller gal, but how.
Speaker 2: Many of you know?
Speaker 1: The Beauty product line was founded in nineteen ninety seven by Broadway stage makeup artist Laura Geller. Clients were so impressed by her skill and knowledge they begged her to provide them with makeup to use at home. This lovely lady knows what she's doing. The brand is well known for its remarkable ability to flatter mature skin types, a category I am proud to be in. Their Spackle skin perfection primers create the perfect base for long lasting baked foundations while adding rich and soothing hydration. There's a Spackle primer for every skin type in every season, and I've recently discovered there's scrumptious jelly balm hydrating lipcolors. Jelly Bombs are lightweight and nourishing coating lips with a unique cushioning texture, the juicy color of a lipstick, and the hydration of your favorite lip balm. They're drenched in good for you ingredients including vitamin E, and they come in a full range of colors from sheerly amazing to very black cherry yum. Laura Geller Beauty has as many wonderful products as there are skin types and personal taste. Visit Laurageller dot com and become a Geller Gal today.
Speaker 2: Craig T.
Speaker 1: Nelson, Welcome to love someone with Delilah.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 1: I only have one regret, one regret about seeing green and gold. This past weekend, and that is that I had to watch it on my computer because I wish that I had seen it on the biggest screen ever made.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta go see it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to.
Speaker 1: I'm going to. It's when the night it opens. I promise I'm going to be there because I have not seen that level of cinematography in a hell of a long time.
Speaker 4: It's beautiful and it's really really gorgeous. It's like another character in the movie because.
Speaker 1: It's the setting, the beauty, the cinematography truly is a lead character in the movie Green and Gold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it gives you a sense of why they love it so much, why it's so meaningful.
Speaker 1: I haven't i haven't ugly cried at a movie. I'm trying to think the last time I ugly cried at a movie.
Speaker 2: It's it's you know, like.
Speaker 1: Some women cry really pretty and the tears just kind of goes down their face, just one or two little tears. My nose gets like twice its size and red and snotty. And by the end of Green and Gold, your new movie, I was and I have an eight year old son. He was sitting on the floor at my feet and I was playing with his hair the whole movie, and he turned around and he's like, Mom, are you okay?
Speaker 3: Oh that's wonderful.
Speaker 1: I was so blessed. And there's so much I want to dig into here. This is about four generations of family that that are the backbone of our nation, that feed us every day, that that never get a day off, that never get a freaking break, and characters that are deeply flawed but deeply beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a that's really nice. Well put, I mean that's how I felt about the same way. I think the faith part of it also was interesting to me because it's wandering. You know, the lead character, or one of the lead characters, is wandering. He doesn't he doesn't really have a connection. He doesn't have a relationship. His relationships to the land and to to a memory perhaps of his daughter that is uh is hurtful. It has kept him from He's so invulnerable, and yet he's so on the edge of not being able to explain even what his feelings are. He just knows that this is something that means something to it.
Speaker 1: It means everything. It means The monologue that the character played by that played your granddaughter Jenny at.
Speaker 2: The end.
Speaker 1: When she's talking about her faith and the land and.
Speaker 2: What is truly holy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, to me, Buck, the character you played and his relationship with the owl that he rescued and the disabled boy that he fixed his fireplace, and the jerk banker that he pulled out of the snow, that to me is such a beautiful example of holy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's really, that's so true.
Speaker 4: The sovereignty of God is so wonderfully mysterious, and you never know where it's going to appear, in whom it's going to show it. So and we go through this journey of life and we ascribe certain judgments to it, and we assign certain people a back seat or whatever. There however, we manifest our own prejudice and you realize that we're all children of God and we have our journeys and we find them and hopefully and he finds his Buck, the character in the film, he finds his throuugh an adversity but a reliance and finally realizing how powerless he is. And I really identify with that.
Speaker 1: That was going to be my next question, how aligned how much of you of Craig T.
Speaker 2: Nelson is is? Buck?
Speaker 4: I would there's obviously some. I mean it's more in memory. I think it was for me. The reason one of the reasons I did the movie was because of the way he felt the journey he was going through, which is one I feel that I've I have passed through, have yet to go on other journeys. But I wanted to be able to tell that story because I find that it revealed in me my own reticence to understand that other people have their own walk and I need to be open to that. And also the fact that I come from generational farmers and the fact that they're being it's almost being lost, it's almost it's such a beautiful tradition.
Speaker 3: Well, there's well, I must.
Speaker 4: Say that I would have said in the same way, except when I went to Wisconsin and we're doing the film and then you meet these people and you meet not only the people, but you meet who they are, and there it was such a for me, such a revelation that will wait a minute, here there's still people here, They're still doing this, there's still there is a community of them, and they need supporting.
Speaker 3: And you know.
Speaker 4: What I had done is kind of put them on a back burner and said well, we're losing them or we've lost them, and I don't think that's true. I think that there's still hope there. And I that was another beautiful part of being a part of the movie was that.
Speaker 1: Revelation, so so many beautiful parts. The development of the relationship between Buck and his granddaughter, who were the two main characters. And the beautiful woman that played your wife, Holy Annabelle Amore a gorgeous and she played it so such a great, little smart, eleichy, beautiful, loving.
Speaker 2: Strong Midwest woman.
Speaker 1: I just ah, I loved everything about this movie, but that relationship between the granddaughter who had her own dreams and aspirations and her grandpa.
Speaker 2: Who, because of the heart of.
Speaker 1: Losing her mama, his daughter just couldn't even give an inch, like, could not could not validate to save his life, her talent or her gift or her passions. And the way that in the end that came together, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: It was so well done. It was so beautiful.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: I just want I want everyone who's who's got a dream, I want everyone who's got a stubborn, crusty old man that they don't understand. I want everyone to go see Green and Gold, and we didn't even mention the football team. I'm not a sports fan, so when I heard it was about the Packers, I'm like, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's not about the Packers.
Speaker 1: It's about devotion and it's about community and it's about you know, having a common, joyful bond that propels you and gives you, gives you hope, gives you joy. And for people who do have a team, they're gonna love it even more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was so interesting in so many ways to find you know, the Green Bay Packers being publicly owned and.
Speaker 3: Community owned.
Speaker 4: Was also something that was you know, being part of that environment is is radical and it's so interesting the fandom and the devotion that they have, and I think that kind of commitment it is so you know, we get lost in the vagaries of all of the extensions that we're given and I should say distractions, and as a result, we lose focus, We lose the perception of the oneness of us, all that the individuality, and I think the beauty of it is that the revelation in the movie for me is that in recognizing that someone does have talent and needs to go out and experience the world, to be able to share the gift of saying, I know what that world's like, and I need you to keep in mind what you're leaving behind, because at some point you may get out there forget what is that you're leaving behind or had left behind, and then when you need it, you can't make your way back because you can't remember it.
Speaker 1: You can't find your way back home. Another thing that was woven throughout the movie that other people might miss, but because I've been in radio for fifty years now, was the subtle way that the radio show was woven in from the very beginning the opening scene of the movie. And then in every home there's a radio sitting on the you know, on the table where you would get your weather forecast. And in every truck they're listening to the local DJ. And local radio back in the day was lifeline. It was their lifeline.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And now you.
Speaker 1: Know everything is owned by the same two or three corporations. But in small towns, in small communities, there are still fabulous, really wonderful yeah radio stations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's wonderful.
Speaker 4: And you know, you only had to push like two or three buttons, and you know, and then maybe you get some FM, but for sure you get the farm report and an update on pork bellies.
Speaker 1: Pork bellies six am every morning. I had to do the pork belly, the farm report. Yeah, but again, it was about all about community and everything in the story was about you know, we have this catchphrase, these catchphrases now intentionality and being present and building community. But when we have opportunities to do that, to be present at the birth of a calf that's stuck, to be intentional in having a family dinner and talking like you know Buck's family did the movie, and to build community like the church had, and like pulling somebody out of the snow who's done you wrong and loving them anyway.
Speaker 4: And those were two great draft horses too. They were just so huge. It was like amazing to me how big those horses were and how strong they are. But you mentioned the church, and I loved sitting there in the pew and listening to that choir. It was just so genuine and so beautifully done, and it was so rich and so tiny.
Speaker 1: Was that an actual church building that you guys found and filmed in.
Speaker 4: That wasn't It was the beautiful little church like you would imagine and the choir with the Luteran choir, and they were who they were, and by golly, they were going to get up there and they sang and it was it just took me back.
Speaker 3: So it was so real it was and so beautiful. It was so.
Speaker 1: BEAUTIFU you know, from from doing your calisthenics in your in your chonies and your tidy whities to spitting.
Speaker 2: I mean, you nailed the character. And I kept going, how much of this is.
Speaker 1: Craig ten Milson really like, do you do you do calisthenics in the morning?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, you know, you work out, but you don't do it in the tidy whities and you're not doing it with the apparatus that he had, which was basically nothing and the regimen I think that he wanted to employ how he wanted to look or feel. It was really off of the farmer that we spent a lot of time with and how he not only behaved, but what the animals. The animals in the movie were extraordinary because it was like, I don't know, if you've been around a lot of dairy cattle, they are not only huge, they don't really care.
Speaker 1: Craig, do you see the background of my studio. Do you see my walls? This isn't like an image that I put behind me. I'm broadcasting from a barn. I live on a five hundred acre cattle ranch.
Speaker 3: Oh well then you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm the one that has to pull the calf out when it gets stuck.
Speaker 3: Oh well, there you go.
Speaker 4: So, I mean the cats that this particular farm had were so extraordinary, and they wanted to show up on every scene that you did because we used the interiors of the farmhouse that they had.
Speaker 2: I like that. What was the billy's comment? I like her. It wasn't decorps motif. I like the motiva. Good writing. Whoever wrote that line? Good writing?
Speaker 3: It was. Yeah, it's really funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a lot of so much good ride. It's such a good movie. It is such a good movie. Thank you for doing it. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. What a great conversation we're having with Craig T. Nelson talking about the movie Green and Gold. We'll have a minute or two more with him after I've told you about another star of my podcast, one of today's generous podcast sponsors. I'm so glad to get to share all that mercy Ships is doing in the world with you. They travel to medical deserts, providing free, life changing surgeries to people in need. Led by an all volunteer crew. They've been putting their faith into action for almost fifty years. Mercy Ships is all about impact. They performed nearly one hundred and twenty thousand free surgeries to date and touched more than two million lives. But more than the numbers, it's about dream restored and lives renewed. It's about loving someone. You can be a part of this amazing organization. When you support Mercyships, you experience the joy and transformation a mother seeing her child for the first time, a child finally able to run and play and dream and just.
Speaker 2: Be a kid.
Speaker 1: Visit Mercyships dot org to give or learn about the other ways you can get involved. That's Mercyships dot org. How can people if they say, you know what, I want to care about farmers, I want to know more. How can I support them? How can I drive by the mailbox?
Speaker 2: You know? How can people do?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 2: Is their way?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean you go to farm Aid and you can go to any website that has to do with the Wisconsin farmers for instance, Wisconsin, any farm that's located, you know, and they're still out there. It's very easy to do and find out what you can do. Just a voice alone is really important, but also the subsidies, you know, So hopefully we'll have an impact on that and get people interested.
Speaker 1: Well, it touched my heart. It made me laugh, and it made me ugly cry, and it made me proud to be in radio, and it made me proud to love dirt. And it made me proud to be married to a man who is so much like the lead character.
Speaker 2: It scared him. He watched it.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you you nailed that character because I'm married to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's Yeah, it's a place that a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Have gone, and thank god I've had the opportunity to meet some of them and talk to them and get to know them.
Speaker 3: We share a very common bond in that regard.
Speaker 2: Well, God bless you, Craig T. Nelson.
Speaker 1: The movie is Green and Gold and which is about the Green Bay Packers, but it's not. It's about love and life and family and farming and cows and horses and cats that were in every scene.
Speaker 2: I love the little gray kitten. Oh yeah, that was my favorite.
Speaker 1: I love the owl, I love the.
Speaker 4: Luna, the owl. Yeah, I remember when we shot that. I said to the guys on the set, I said, can you please get a picture of the owl as it's released for me so I can remember this moment. And when that owl came out of the netting and raised up, it was just such a signature moment and so meaningful. And they got a picture of it and they sent it to me, and it's like one of my favorite favorite photos I've gone.
Speaker 1: That was one of my favorite images. That and the deer that we're bounding across the farm and through the cornfield. Just so many beauty, so much high quality cinematography that if for nothing else, you just watch it for the beauty of the great lakes and the geese that are flying overhead, and the owl and the deer and the mist in the morning. It just visually, it's like a gorgeous painting that you get to enjoy for a couple of hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you said, I mean, it's just beautiful for me too.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for being with us.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: God bless you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, God bless you too.
Speaker 1: In Green and Gold, a fourth generation dairy farmer and his grand daughter fight to preserve their way of life as small family farms disappear across America. Facing foreclosure, they wager everything on their beloved Green Bay Packers in a hail merry effort to save their little chunk of dirt. Green and Gold is presented in collaboration with the Green Bay Packers, the nation's only community owned professional football team with over five hundred thousand shareholders and culvers. Yes, the beloved family restaurant known for their butter burgers, and creators of that Thank You Farmers Project, which has donated more than six point five million dollars to ensure a sustainable food supply for our future. The story you'll see in Green and Gold is of hardworking farmers caring for their animals, growing crops, and engaging in climate smart sustainability effort to protect our land while producing food that feeds our families. Brothers Anders and Davin Lyndwall, who directed and produced, are behind the film, inspired by their grandfather, a dairy farmer, and the challenges farmers face into today's economy. This is a heartfelt tribute to rural America, celebrating the strength, perseverance, and traditions of farming communities in theaters nationwide on January thirty first, twenty twenty five, through Fathom Events. It is a wonderful film that combines America's themes of family, farming, and football that will get you in all the fields. Let me tell you, I was ugly crying. I was sobbing. I love this movie. Take the whole family and enjoy. Stay warm, my friends, and love someone by supporting your local farmers