Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth Dunton, Saren Burnett. How are you doing? I'm great, you ridiculous?
Speaker 3: Yes, I do what you just got right to it? Listen here.
Speaker 4: You know you've seen that movie Deadpool, silly guy and a costume.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, Momentarily I was thinking of like a Clint Eastwood eighties movie, isn't.
Speaker 3: That I think there might be one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Anyway, go on, yeah, Deadpool, the comic guy. Yeah, the comic Yeah, the Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 3: Ryan Reynolds, And you're like, are you spider Man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Are you lippier.
Speaker 3: Lippier spider Man?
Speaker 4: And then now he's got one with the hairy fella, the Wolverine, the.
Speaker 2: Nail and with the attitude and the.
Speaker 5: Nail.
Speaker 2: I love Wolverine.
Speaker 4: Actually, okay, so you know there's that movie coming out right? Yes, I'm aware, and like I would think that there's a big crossover that a lot of people who like the movie also liked it.
Speaker 3: You just stop it right now? Can I finish a lot?
Speaker 2: I'm totally listen. I'm not guessing where you're going at all.
Speaker 4: Go on across over yourself a lot of people who watched those kind of movies also play video games.
Speaker 3: That's to say today.
Speaker 2: That's is that ridiculous?
Speaker 4: No, I got more. I got more, and that's so it's so ridiculous. Okay, So anyway, Xbox right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not familiar.
Speaker 3: You like an Xbox xbox in your life?
Speaker 2: My cousin does.
Speaker 3: So you know.
Speaker 4: The the controllers, yes, yes, the buttons with your hands and your hands in your face.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so they've made a special controller for the Xbox uh designed by Deadpool, it says, okay, means it's business in the front, party in the back.
Speaker 2: But it's not a mullet, it's not a hairy controller.
Speaker 4: It had it looks like the surface of it looks like Deadpool's red and black leather costs.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, so I got a leathery controller in my head.
Speaker 4: And I also just really quickly tell you that don't blame me, blame Barb from Instagram for bringing this forward.
Speaker 3: God blissard.
Speaker 4: Okay, anyway, so that it's like the surface of the controller is like the leather of his cost it. Sure, I'm with you, But then the back of it has butt cheeks.
Speaker 3: So I'm showing you right now? Do you see this?
Speaker 2: So it's got.
Speaker 4: Juicy booty boy, straight up juicy booty, Elliott Stabler level juicy booty.
Speaker 2: It would be distracting during gameplay.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 4: So it's called the Cheeky Controller and you hold on to his butns will you wiggle his buttons in the front and the press release said quotes designed by the MRK with a mouth himself. It also comes I don't even know what that means. It comes clad in the anti heroes, instantly recognizable and might we add incredibly flattering red and black tactical suit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there's only one Captain America.
Speaker 3: It only created one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to make only one.
Speaker 3: You gotta go to their sweep steaks. And it said that you had to look at a post on Twitter.
Speaker 2: They called it x whatever whatever. How many times have you entered this contest?
Speaker 3: I have not because I don't have an Xbox.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you want that control, you have to.
Speaker 4: Go to Twitter and then you do these other things and it's like whatever. You have to have a Twitter account, so I can't enter.
Speaker 2: It's true, you don't have Twitter.
Speaker 4: It ends August eleventh, and you have eighteen or older.
Speaker 2: I still got a Twitter account.
Speaker 3: I just I can't believe you still have a Twitter account.
Speaker 2: Why anyway, still swimming in film?
Speaker 3: Well, go swim and filth, grab some cheek, play a little, you know, diddle around on the front.
Speaker 2: Okay, say a little the.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then a thousand people who they'll get an Xbox Elite Wireless controller Series two Core?
Speaker 2: Are they paying you to say all this?
Speaker 4: I wish I wish they would give me things. It just gives me things.
Speaker 2: You're out here just freelance, like.
Speaker 4: All of these companies I promote. They're insane idea, and so many people get excited about it.
Speaker 2: Not me.
Speaker 3: Tens of people get excited about it, and so they should be just I don't pay me to do it. Just send me the stuff, like send.
Speaker 2: Her the butt controller, get this woman control.
Speaker 3: I just need free stuff.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 2: I think you need more free stuff.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 3: I don't get anything free.
Speaker 2: I just meant stuff for.
Speaker 3: Shine, more stuff. So in summary, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: That is oh my goodness is why did they make this one? I mean this one? I guess supply and demand anyway special you know, uh, you know what else is ridiculous you tell me sit back down. Okay, imagine this right, just this whole scenario, Elizabeth, you base your like you're a person. You're like, oh, I'm feeling like I don't really know who I am and other people don't know who I am. I'm gonna make that more clear to them. Right, So you decided to like change your persona, your public persona, and you base your whole new identity on a character from a movie. Okay, and then people they accept it because you're like, you're really can to the bit. They're like, whatever, that's just two gun heart right, Because it turns out that like you decided to be like a movie cowboy, I tho's your thing in life. Okay, but also this is like a while ago, so little it wasn't so weird to do that. It was still weird. But anyway, turns out you also have a big bad secret, and you're not sure if people, if they knew about your big bad secret, if they'd be so forgiving of your cosplay as an old timey Western hero.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: This is Ridiculous Crime a podcast about absurd and outrageous capers. Heis and cons It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous. Yes, oh, Elizabeth, Oh, zaren Today, I've got a doozy for you. It's another sequel. Oh yes, it's another installment in my ongoing coverage of strange but true tales from one of America's most American families.
Speaker 3: Oh, who's that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to tell you. May be wondering what FAMI were you talking about. I'm not going to tell you. Okay, it's a great question, Elizabeth. Thank you, and I'll tell you when the time is right. How about that. I promise you. That's my guarantee. That's the Zara and Burnett guarantee. Okay now, but for now, I'd like to introduce you to Richard James two gun Heart.
Speaker 3: Richard James two gun Heart.
Speaker 2: I mentioned him up top, two gun Heart. Yeah, this is his story.
Speaker 3: I'm confused.
Speaker 2: I know you should be. I'm not helping you much, so Old James Heart that's how he was known mostly. He was born in eighteen ninety two, okay, right at the end of the Old West era. He's like I made it kind of, He's like, I'm just gonna squeeze it out. So he stretches it out and he makes it last longer. Anyway, the age of three, though, he first came to America as an immigrant from whence did he Well, I will tell you that, but uh no, I'm not going to tell you that. You know what his father that was a barber. His father was named Gabrielle, and his mother, her name was Teresa Heart Yeah, well whatever from she was a seamstress. Okay, right, Remember I said the guy's a big secret, so don't get so hung up on names.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Anyway, at the age of the three, I told you immigrant got the parents Gabrielle, Teresa, right, Barbara seamstress.
Speaker 3: He gets not rich, would you say, eighteen ninety five he gets.
Speaker 2: Here basically yeah, because yeah, because eighteen ninety two he was born eighteen ninety five. He arrives here three years old. Anyway, parents they start in Canada, but they make their way down to Brooklyn, New York. They there make a home. Right now, we're still around eighteen ninety five, eighteen ninety six in America, everyone calls his cat James. That's where he starts getting known as James. Now soon enough, he's got a bunch of siblings, right, Mom and Pop, just keep me at it, right, they don't stop all of a sudden's Ralph Frank Armina, John Albert Matthew Mafalda. I mean I I could keep going. That's it. That's all all the kids right now. Anyway. In nineteen oh four, at the age of twelve, James he leaves home. He goes west, and as he put it, he was looking for adventure. What year nineteen oh four four he finds very young, very young, twelve. He finds work with a traveling circus, working as a roustabout. So he's helping to set up the big tent, take it down when the circus hits sound right, So later he finds other work. He goes down. He's a oiling windmills in Texas. Oh yeah, it sounds like a euphemism, doesn't it totally?
Speaker 3: In Texas Cleveland ice cream, so he also done.
Speaker 2: While he was in Texas, he roped steers for the ranchers. He starts getting into the cowboy life. Sometime around nineteen eighteen, James Hard He hops off the freight train in a little town called Homer, Nebraska. It's like homy Nevadam Homer, Nebraska, was a spring day Elizabeth. Town of Homer was about sixteen miles west from the Missouri River. On the opposite bank. In the east sat the town of Sioux City, Iowa. So not too far from the Iowa state line. Yeah got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Ok.
Speaker 2: He arrives in town, James hard he said, Nebraska is a big state. I don't want you going too far west. We're in the deep midwest of.
Speaker 3: H Deere Country is totally corn country, John Deer country.
Speaker 2: You got it? Imagine? Yeah, anyway, but a little early on that, but still stick with that idea. Now, when he arrives in town, James Hardy looks like just about any other hobo who might be riding the rails at that time, and he's looking for, you know, a better tomorrow somewhere else. The young man he finds work in this small town, which is not easy, but he gets work as a house painter. Right now, when locals are asking like, what brings you to town there, James, and he's like, oh, well, he tells them he used to be working on a railroad gang like laying track totally. They're like, oh, he's a hard worker, young kid. Now the folks of Homer. They accept this hard work and newcomer. He tells everyone that his full name is Richard Jay Hart, but call him James Jim Hart, James Hart. His eyes are intelligent, Elizabeth Alive. The locals. They find that he is quote gifted with a frank and open countenance. All right, yeah, just like a big, friendly guy. But he's not a tall guy. He's lean and strong. He's also well muscled at this point from working all these hard jobs. He has thick black hair, dark eyes, alive complexion, his nose suggests that he might be not from northern Europe, right, But most folks in Homer, Nebraska, they're used to doing the calculus different. They're like, oh, maybe part Mexican, maybe part Native American, if anyone asks, though, he tells his people his people are from Oklahoma, so that of course plays into the whole idea. He may be from Indian.
Speaker 3: Territory because you see Italian.
Speaker 2: That's a good guess, Elizabeth. And anyway, so his story makes sense to folks in Nebraska. Yeah, they're like, oh, yeah, five civilized tribes probably are his people. Whatever he knocked about, like a lot of people do. And now he's here at Homer, Nebraska. Yeah, he's a good hard work I like that guy with the really bright eyes. Anyway, soon enough he finds more work in town. He gets work as as a wall like a wallpaper hanger, and also house painter obviously related tasks yea. Then he becomes a railroad timekeeper. Apparently they trust him. He's good with the watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The longer he stays in town Elizabeth, the more the locals learn about this friendly newcomer. And then he tells tales of his time down in Texas, like, oh, tell us more about busting broncos and punching cows and helping round up strays and stuff. They love it. Everybody loves a good cowboy story.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He tells them about getting in gun fights with bad men. They're like, this guy's amazing. Nineteen seventeen rules around you know what happens? Then us enters the Great War in Europe. He's a young man. He's like, oh, I'm gonna go off in enlist and protect freedom and stuff.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: He gets sent overseas to the bloody battlefields of France Elisabe. But he survives, wow, because he fights with General Blackjack Pershing and the US Expeditionary Forces so well that he gets awarded medals and stuff.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: After the war, he returns to Homer, Nebraska. He regales the locals with tales of all of his battlefield bravery. They're like, oh, that's amazing. He's just like he did in Texas. Right. Oh, he's this guy. They're they're thinking they got a real life hero in town.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean he's telling telling stories Elizabeth, a gunfire exchanges with the hun right, and he how he been personally decorated with a a medal for sharp shooting and bravery by General Blackjack Pershing himself pinned it on his chest.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why he was so good a shot with the Bochee. That's what they called the Germans back then. Anyway, for proof of all, takes out the Jerry. There you go, now, proof of his marksmanship. This war tested soldier. He puts on a demonstration for the locals of Homer. He has a row of tin cans and glass bottles all lined up on a fence behind the American Legion hal because all the old veterans they want to see the guys who had fought in like the Spanish American War. Anyway, there before all the other veterans, Elizabeth, he pops every single cannon bottle on the rail with his six shooter pistols, just like he did over on the French battlefield. Yeah huh, all right, now he's around the same time he fully adopts his new persona. So because before he's like, you know, knocking about Texas. Now he's got these people going along with it. He's gonna be the town's hero.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So not onlys you call himself James Hart in honor of William S. Hardt, who's this big cowboy star of the Silent film era. He starts to pattern his behavior after this silent movies and his look. So he starts looking like a real picture house cowboy hero walking around Homer, Nebraska.
Speaker 3: And they don't know he's from New York City.
Speaker 2: No, no, not not in the real West, this immigrant boy from Brooklyn. He's cosplaying as a real life cowboy. He picks up a pair of cowboy boots, tall heels, Elizabeth, he starts to wear wide like whoa hey, six inch heels, wide brim, ten gallons stetson cowboy hat make.
Speaker 4: A huge like beach blanket, Babylon and stiletto cowboy.
Speaker 3: I have got the picture in my head on.
Speaker 2: He also wears a fancy vest that's always described as a fancy.
Speaker 4: Vest, one of those like embroidered Grandma Ones Teddy Bears at a picnic.
Speaker 2: There's tassels on it. Now around his waist, he's wearing a low slung holster. Oh got a pair of pearl handled six shooters.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and no pants.
Speaker 2: He looks and actually basically a dime novel rendition of a Wild West cowboy.
Speaker 4: In my head, he's like one of the sisters of perpetual insults exactly.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: So this silver screen buckero he's out we was. He practices his looks so much and also though it matches his skills, he actually is a quick trick Okay, he's good with pistols, like I said earlier, and so nineteen nineteen yearlls around right after the war May in nineteen nineteen, James Harden becomes an actual town hero when he exhibits bravery in an emergency Elizabeth Townhomer's flooded and I'm talking flooded, like flash floodwaters, like just wash over the farmland, right, the farmhouses have water up to the rooflines, and there's hard paddling around and this churning floodwaters, and he's saving townspeople from rooftop to rooftop. Pill pulls some people from trees. Wow, oh yeah, totally here. At one point he saves a little girl from drowning. Then he turns around and goes back to save the family of the local grocer. The nineteen year old daughter of the grocer. So impressed, she falls in love.
Speaker 3: Oh she was ready.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she's warm for his form, Elizabeth. So the pair they fall in love get married in the fall of that same year. Now he's happily married hero of the town. When they had the big flood, he starts to you know, really bury his old identities and just submerge it so no one, not even his wife, will ever know about any of his time back east. Yeah, he's just a cowboy from Oklahoma. Now he lives out this fantasy so much that he starts to believe it, at least mostly the small town council. They're impressed with this guy, though, Man, we should have him like become more important town because of how lucky we had have such a brave, heroic guy, and they nam him what the new Marshal, So like, oh, you be our Marshall star. It's like an old movie. Yeah, would you be the Marshall? So the American Legion they elect him commander of the Post. He's like your charge of all the veterans. If we ever have to, like, you know, do anything, you get.
Speaker 4: To say who does and doesn't get to have an event at our hall exactly.
Speaker 2: Boy Scouts of America they name him the district Commissioner, which I don't know what that means, but he was named district commissioner. So now he's an official town father so to speak. Yeah, same year, in nineteen nineteen, major change comes to America, one that would initiate a whole new area in American life. Do you remember what that was?
Speaker 3: Flew?
Speaker 2: No, that's a good one. That totally that's a we would take that answer. This was jeopardy. But on January sixteenth, nineteen nineteen, it was I had a couple answers available. The US ratified the eighteenth Amendment to the Constitution making production of liquor, wine and.
Speaker 5: Beer and legel.
Speaker 2: Then much later, when they realized, oh, we need to pay people to enforce this. Local cops are just totally corrupt. We need to actually get some federals on this. So they on October twenty ninth, nineteen nineteen, Congress passes the Volstead Act, which is the law that provides for enforcement, thus creating the prohibition agents. Right, So this also marks effect technically the official start of prohibition. So nineteen nineteen, either one you want to pick January sixteenth or October twenty ninth, Yeah, boom, there you go over or combine them, just say nineteen nineteen whatever. Almost as soon as prohibition becomes the law on the land, bootleg liquor and speakeasy start to spread across America. The Volstat Act, you know, as I tell, they provided for law enforcement to fight this spread of like bathtub gin and the rise of the rum runners, like your man, the real McCoy right. Well, one of the men who stepped up to fight for prohibition was local town hero and Marshall Lahomer, Nebraska one. James Hart.
Speaker 3: He's like, I just can't get with the drinking.
Speaker 2: Oh no, now he's about Elizabeth. He's about to become a prohibition cowboy. Oh wow, Yeah, he's got there raiding Stills. He was one hell of a badass lawman, which you rarely will hear me say. But I do believe in the rule of law, right, I got to say that straight up. But I'm not always rooting for the villains and the criminals. Sometimes when a lawman is this bad ass, I can't help but root for him. Elizabeth, I'm very excited to get into the next but let's take a little break and after this all these sweet sweet ads, I will tell you about how my man James Hart becomes a prohibition cowboy.
Speaker 5: Excellent, Elizabeth, ze, we're bad Hi.
Speaker 2: So nineteen nineteen, Yeah, remember that. They It was like the Black Sox scandal Baseball, someone like, oh, they rigged the World Series? What's going on? Arline Rods Team way out West. Prohibition has come to America and has spread everywhere. Right, so everything starts to change. Jazz becomes the music of the day, race relations start to change because everyone's drinking together in these illegal speakeasies. The mafia enjoys this tremendous rise in power, going from like local crime leaders to regional and then so national syndicates. We also have radio and silent movies. They kind of create this national culture of like celebrities and identity. Everyone's like, oh, we all know the same people. And also, of course, as you pointed out, the ravages of the Spanish Flu and World War One are still coursing through the culture. We got a bunch of like broken vets and broken bodies from the Spanish Flu, and now no one's supposed to have a drink. Yeah, well, obviously that's a no go solution. So crime starts to run rampant money floods into the black market. Good and decent people's become everyday criminals as they sip on their moonshine and their bootleg Canadian whiskey. Yeah, harrow, great times, Elizabeth. I wish I could have been there anyway, entered James Hart. He's given official commission as a prohibition agent in nineteen twenty. Ok right, so right at the start it jumps in both boots. He's like, all right, yeah, got my pearls.
Speaker 3: Girls.
Speaker 2: So in October he runs his first liquor rate. How do you think it went?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 5: Good cat?
Speaker 2: He hears about moonshine stills in this town called Randolph, Right, so he goes to town disguises as a day laborer goes undercover.
Speaker 3: He just like hunches over and I love the undercover.
Speaker 2: Puts stirred on his face.
Speaker 4: He gets all shoes, splashes water on himself like, oh, I'm so sweaty.
Speaker 3: I've been laboring all day because I am a day laborer. Like, oh, sir, came here is a so thirsty Okay.
Speaker 2: He wanders out into the woods as his day laborer. Right, he finds signs of a still like maybe like puffs of smoke or he smells it. I don't know. He draws closer and then he runs his raid. He busts twenty moonshiners pretty much on his own. Coincidentally becomes an embarrassment for the city fathers of nearby Randolph because a number of them are rounded up in the rain. Right yeah, right, So after this first successful rad he follows up for the second one. They're like, oh yeah. He goes over to Spencer, Nebraska, doesn't really matter again small town, and again he embarrasses these small town fathers. In this case it's the actual town marshal who he busts in the raid. Oh whoa yeah. And when he does that, he tries to arrest the marshall. A local official like a deputy, comes out. He goes, you can't arrest the marshal. He's like, you bomb to rest in the marshall.
Speaker 3: I'm a marshall too.
Speaker 2: So they accused James Hart of disturbing the peace. They get him on charges of disturbing the peace. Like, I'm arrested, You're arrested. It was, yeah, So he doesn't take no lip Elizabeth. So the men get into a fight. So now the law is tussling and wrestling and James Hard he had to let the marshall go because there was more of them than there were of him. So this rare loss has stuck with him. He's like, corrupt local law, I don't try. I'm only sticking with my feder rallies. So he then decides, you know, to go alone far more often anyway. Nineteen twenty one rolls around, James Hart's becoming a household name for all of his liquor aids. Right the Homer Star local paper, they said, quote, He's becoming such a menace in the state that his name alone carries terror to the heart of every criminal.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: Now, thirty years later, in nineteen fifty one, the Saint Louis Dispatch. They also wrote about James Hart. By then his real identity was no longer a secret. But the article look back at his early days as this cavalier marauding prohibition agent. And the article Elizabeth, they recalled how the locals felt about James Hart, and they said, and I quote, that he was there, scarlet Pimpernel, their hero. In one month alone, he cleaned out thirty stills. All Nebraska watched and cheered as Heart decked out in high heeled cowboy boots, ten Gallon had in pearl handled shooting irons, crusaded against crime. End quote. So a picture of them out there on the prairie and his high heels. I gotta say, that's a reference you don't hear anymore. It's the scarlet Pimpernel.
Speaker 3: Oh I know, right?
Speaker 2: Did you like the Scarlet Pimpernel? Do you know it? Scarlet Pimpernel?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, I am familiar.
Speaker 2: When I was a boy growing up in the South, I saw the old movie because it was on like Turner TBS Turners because he liked all those old movies. And I thought that guy was awesome. Right, there's this rich guy who you know once again can usually hear me go. I was rid for the rich guy, but anyway, he's a hero. At night, he's like Zorrow or a batman. Is this rich guy at night goes crusading, But in the daytime he's this total fop total he's like pathetic, he can't do anything. He's got the new Yeah exactly. And everyone's like, oh, you know, it couldn't have been him, because we know it's one person it's not is this guy now who in this world couldn't be? And I thought that was amazing because the kid had taught me that people will look past what they see right in front of him as long as you're glad to think you're pathetic.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I thought that was great. So James Hart, he was their scarlet Pimpernel, and they didn't know how true it was Elizabeth because he had a secret identity just like the scarlet Pimpernel. But anyway, as far as what they saw, they get this badass lawman. One fellow lawman of the Sioux City Patrolman, Alan Stoner, I found in an old newspaper. Had to read a bunch of old newspapers for this yeah. He recounted a time that James Hart once had to square up with a bootlegger he was trying to arrest, but the bootlegger didn't want to throw hands with him. He wanted to test how fast James Heart was with those pearl handled shooting irons. So James already he wasn't in the mood to kill a man though, he's a man of peace, so he told him he'd have to sort it out with their fists instead. How fast are you with those things? So, as patrolman Alan Stoner recalls quote, they fought for an hour right on the street with everybody watching, until finally the whiskey runner gave up and Heart took him in. It was a big moment in my life, made me decide to become an officer myself. An hour hour, Elizabeth. They fought in the street for an hour, well whatever, forty five minutes, twenty minutes. Anything longer than like seven to ten minutes is like a pretty.
Speaker 3: It's a long time. I mean, it was a lot of it, just like chasing each other.
Speaker 2: Around, throwing dirt each other's eyes, just.
Speaker 3: Like ducking behind bildings.
Speaker 2: Trying to trip each other's high heels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, snapping the high heel off, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Knocking hats off. So eund this time in the nineteen twenties, at the height of the prohibition, James Hart becomes this fixtured local headlines but also syndicated nationally. He starts becoming this character. So you have these local headlines in later national months. But here's an example Elizabeth State Agent Heart cleans up Cedar County. R. J. Hart battles gamblers, Heart fines more Moonshine, Dick Hart and Homer Tuesday trailing thieves. Now he's just everyone's paying attention to this guy. He is there like I don't know, like wild Bill Hiccocks anyway. He's just like a Wild West character come back to life at a time where they were totally losing the West. How is this guy still.
Speaker 4: Out there doing this Heartland you know, voice of the law and arm of the law. It makes for great entertainment and wire stories when you live in other places.
Speaker 2: Totally everyone's digging it.
Speaker 4: They can imagine that what it's looking like him walking around with them high heel.
Speaker 2: So, with his growing fame on the prairie, my man James Hard is invited to become a prohibition agent for the Bureau of Indian Affairs. That's because illegal liquor was a scourge on the reservations.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Side note, Elizabeth, do you know where the term bootlegging comes from?
Speaker 3: I had something to do with stick in the bottles and the boots.
Speaker 2: Very good. I'll give you a hint. Indian Territory. Back in the day, it was illegal to import liquor into Indian reservations, but people would still do it because customers would pay top dollar for good whiskey. So to sneak liquor into reservations back in the day, a fellow on horseback, he didn't have anything like you can't be like, oh, look at my wagon, you don't want that. Yeah, So they would just slip like flasks and bottles into their boots and bootlegging.
Speaker 3: Bootlegging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you go anyway. Bureau of Indian Affairs, they've been in the business of prohibition long before anyone else got into it. As my point, so they're like, hey, we'd love to have a go getter like James Hart join our team and really get us some good headlines. So he gets sent out to the Yankton Indian Reservation in South Dakota. Right, he shows up in his fancy western vest, his high heeled cowboy boots, his brim stetson, cowboy hat. Maybe a little mess scara, I don't know, low slung holster. He learns to speak the local Omaha and La Coda dialects. He's a serious guy. Right, So the tribal leaders they like him. They give this lawman a nickname. They start calling him two gun Heart, two gun And we're local reporters and they hear about this. They of course they start talking about how two gun Heart did this, two Gun Heart did that becomes his nickname, and then that spreads his fame across the nation.
Speaker 3: Give him the nickname or did he start telling people they were calling him that.
Speaker 2: From what I can tell, it seemed to be a genuine that the native tribes gave him the name.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I can't tell you for sure. I wasn't there alone, No you weren't, No, no, no, I know.
Speaker 3: I thought this was a first hand account.
Speaker 2: There was another nickname that the Native Americans in the area called him. A member of the Oglala tribe there in South Dakota. All so they remembered that. She remembered actually that her people called Heart something else. See, there was this one time Elizabeth Old two gun Heart. He was a hiding amongst a group of Okohala children, right, just like I don't know how, but they were like, I don't know if they just hanging out playing games, and he's just, oh, yeah, we'll hang out with you kids anyway, bootleggers go by. He leaps out of this group of children and then he surprises the bootleggers, gets the drop on him, arrest them. The kids are they they come up with this nickname for this crazy lawman. They just start calling him Soiko, and Soiko loosely translates as Big Harry Boogeyman.
Speaker 3: Still sort of.
Speaker 4: Not contradicting insinuations that he is Native American. What do you mean, well, you said that when he first showed up.
Speaker 2: He never said that he was Native American. He didn't mind if people like.
Speaker 4: Guessed at it, right, But I'm saying so is he's still not contradicting it.
Speaker 2: He's still it was just local talk. It wasn't It's not that people in the federal agencies refer to him. That's not why he was brought to the Bureau of affairs. I didn't mean to be misleading that, No, that was just kind of like local gossip, you know, just as much many people thought that he was. You know, it doesn't matter anyway. The point is Elizabeth, this guy the reason why people could like tolerate this personality, flashy throwback character and the.
Speaker 3: And the low rise gene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly showing all that action. He was really good at everything he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what it sounds like.
Speaker 2: He would if they hit an okay in Homer, Nebraska, if they had like a parade, he would be the boss for the town's parades.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He'd also be like the preferred chef for picnics or for fish fries. Yeah. He was known for his fish fries and for his like picnics. Like he was like when I say this, he would hold court on like you'd tell all in Sundry anybody who came was the best way to cure mushrooms, or how to smoke fish, the best way or how to pickle meat to make your partner happy. Right. He was also handy with the music instruments, so he could like keep everybody, like, you know, smiling while they're eating. Yeah, he could play multiple musical instruments. He could play the mandolin, the fiddle, the guitar, the piano, musical saw what do you got he can play?
Speaker 3: How did he pick up all this talent?
Speaker 2: Is this super talented guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And also how dope was it back before like the invention or the advent of radio, when most times people were your hanging out with could play musical instrument Yeah, because like everybody's did it. Yeah right, And like Keller here's he's playing like literally musical construction equipment. Like that's how good at music people got. They're like, oh, we can play a spoon, I can play a f Oh yeah, what you got lady's bottles? Anyway, I just wish we had people were playing more music at home. I think that's cool. I can't do it, but I just think it's cool. Anyway. Two gun Heart was all so good at shooting, as I pointed out right, he would give demos at local rodeos. He also had a hobby shop or in town. He fixed radios and he taught others about this new technology, the crystal set and all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So like the people are like, why do we need a radio shack or whatever? And he's like this, you'll trust me, this will be a big deal. And like okay, Now, despite all his skills, all his abilities, always bravery, all of us heroics, all his charming pastimes, it was noteworthy that all thirty three years that he lives in Homer, Nebraska, Old two gun Heart makes no close friends none zero.
Speaker 9: Wait didn't he marry the He had a wife, and he has a wife right, and he has obviously has a also as a family, they raised four sons, and just the way he impressed the locals, he also impressed his sons, like with the shooting skills.
Speaker 2: Like one of his sons recalled the story elizabeth An, Old two gun Heart would have his boys go out and line up in the backyard, and then he'd place cigarettes in their mouthsfully and then he'd order his boys to stand real still, and then, using his pearl handled six shooters, he would shoot the cigarette butts in half, just cutting him in half of bullets.
Speaker 3: I'm praying that they were facing him in profile.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course in profile, So that's how good he wasn't shooting. He was got there and press by shooting for practice. I guess around the same time. This fame is a law man has spread far enough back east that in nineteen twenty seven, when the President of the United States comes out to the Black Hills to the South Dakota, he want, I want two Gun Heart to be my personal bodyguard. You certain Calvin Coolidge had two Gun Heart out there as to protect him. So capitalizing anyway, and all this rough and tumble appeal of the wild West still riding high on the prayer. The Associated Press they write a syndicated story about this throwback cowboy hero and they say, and I quote, Heart has had a hand in the capture of more than twenty murderers while covering twelve reservations. In the last year. He brought in three Indian killers. He has been a cowboy soldier and police officer a beat of more than two hundred square miles, with supervision over more than eight hundred his Heart's domain. He travels by foot, in car, horseback, on snowshoes and skis. His work is different from that of his regular officers or detectives, for the criminals he captures are outdoormen, and there are few informers who aid him. Yeah, right, So now to be fair and accurate, the twenty murderers was a little more alleged. That was not the official count, but anyway, that same year, nineteen twenty seven, he makes national news when he squares off he gets a true bad man. According to the Aberdeen Daily News, old two gun Heart was conducted in a raid on the Rosebud Reservation. He discovers one hundred gallon moonshine still and one angry moonshiner two gun Heart. He tells this moonshiner, a guy named Yancy, that he's under arrest, and Yancey familiar with two gun Heart. Everybody knows him if they're in the business of moonshine. He snarls at the lawman and tells him you didn't have them fancy shooting irons. I give you a good licking now, two gun Hearts like okay, bet so He loosens his holster, drops it off his hips and lets the pistols fall to his feet, and he says, all right, go ahead. The bootlegger Yancey charges the lawman, and, as the Aberdeen Daily News reports, Elizabeth Yancey succeeded in hitting Heart once with his fist and then picked up an iron bar and struck at him. Hart dodged the blow, falling on his shoulder. He then sailed into Yancey pummeled him so severely that Yancey was glad to cry.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He was badly cutting bruised by the flying fists of the officer.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yes, anyway, So there's a fellow officer sus City, nother guy, local police captain. This guy named Paul Mummert. He often went out on raids with old two gun Heart and having seen the man at work, he was duly impressed as the old previous patrolman Stoner. Captain Mummert said, and I quote he could hit a bear bottle maybe at one hundred feet from either hip. He was a wonderful officer. Once we found it still in a cave, there was a lot of equipment there, and we hated the thought of lugging at all with us. Hearts it, I'll take care of it. He spilled gasoline all around. We told him he'd kill himself, but he just yelled, you boys get back, and he set the whole thing on fire from a few feet away, blew his ten gallon hat right off.
Speaker 3: Is not the safest birden.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, anyway, there was another time, when a rumor went out that Old two gun Heart had been shot and killed in a gunfight with bad men, and he wasn't seen for many days, the rumor was assumed to be true. Meanwhile, the locals, they all go out to the annual rodeo for some like homegrown entertainment. Who should ride up to the rodeo? But Old two gun Heart back from the dead. The locals went wild out the side of him, right like a gunfight in Jesus. Anyway, nineteen thirty something changes, I don't know, but to be honest, a lot of things changed. There's something called the Great Depression, and it was doing a number on the folks in the prairie. But no different for two gun Heart. He at this point he'd eye in a fight in Sioux's City. Yeah, the family of a man he'd arrested. They catch up to him and they beat him with brass knuckles and he loses an eye. And also so he gets a glass eye and to replace that, but his one good eye is also starting to go. So now he's like down to like half like a quarter vision.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, prohibition ends in nineteen thirty three, so he's out of a job, so he has to leave that behind. He gets his his glory days as a prohibition agent or now sun set it. He's got to get work. He works his arrange detectives. Now he's got to go out riding on a sore saddle, you know, like it's it's tough for an older guy. Now he's tracking down stolen livestock. You know, he's also working as a stock inspector for the ranchers the Cattleman. By nineteen thirty five, though, he's back in Homer, Nebraska. He's reappointed the town's marshal. They're like, wow, you know he's here's your badge bag.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, And so at this point he's accused of breaking into a grocery store late at night and stealing canned goods to feed his family. Oh no, one of the stories he's accused of stealing from was his own father in lawt store. Remember he owned a grocery store. Ye anyway, so it's full circle the grocer.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So the town's Foklahomer. They were disappointed with their lawmen. But you know he's now a criminal.
Speaker 3: Disappointed in the townsfolk.
Speaker 4: This guy like did everything for you for years letting him suffer like that.
Speaker 2: You're a big character, You're so he loses his job as a marshal. He gets removed as the head of the American Legion. Also because somebody in the American Legion starts getting suspicious the old two gun Heart may not have gone off to war in Europe. So they contacted the Department of the Army and then requested his records, and the records were confirmed their suspicions were correct. He never actually served, never with the army. He's made up all his battlefield bravery and the medals pinned on my chest. But General Blackjack person himself.
Speaker 3: Trust the ones who crow about it.
Speaker 2: All a lie. So two Gun Heart had fallen on truly hard times. Yeah, now that the truth was coming out about him, the damn was broken because soon enough the full truth would be revealed. Elizabeth. Wait, when we got back, I'll tell you who two gun Heart really was and what that great American family he belonged to. All right, Elizabeth, ar you ready for the truth to be revealed, to be dropped?
Speaker 3: I am so excited for this.
Speaker 2: Okay. So the cat we've been calling two gun Heart, he was born in Italy you're correct. He was born in Naples, Italy, before he and his parents emigrated to the US.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They first, as I told you, arrived in Canada. Then they moved to Brooklyn, where he was raised and he later became the eldest of a brood of kids. And that was all before he went out west. But when he was born, his name was James Vincenzo Capone.
Speaker 3: Stop.
Speaker 2: His younger were Ralph Bottles Capone and Al Scarface Capone.
Speaker 3: Get out of town?
Speaker 2: What two gun Heart, the old school wild West cowboy hero and Prohibition agent, was the big brother of Al Capone, the most notorious gangster and bootlegger of the Prohibition era.
Speaker 3: And he's just cracking school.
Speaker 2: Never heard I know, I've never heard this. How is this not a movie? How is this not a movie? This is one hundred true two gun Hard, So also get this. Two gun Heart once saved his baby brother, long before he earned his nickname is Scarface. This is back when the whole Capone family was living in Brooklyn. And so one day, the older brother, he's the oldest brother, Vincenzo. He's out wandering the streets, chasing after some fun with his brothers and well, they run into some trouble because you know, it's just the sack of the day. And after it all went down, Vincenzo he has to leave town and baby brother al Capone. It sets him on his course to becoming the most famous gangster of all time.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: Their stories separate in the same moment. One becomes a law man, a great prohibition agent. One becomes the great prohibition gangster, all because of the same moment in time Vincenzo. Vincenzo changes his name, it becomes James Hart, and he.
Speaker 3: Got into trouble and that's what he had to run out of time.
Speaker 2: They both did.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Here, let me just tell you about it, Elizabeth, I like you to picture it. It's Brooklyn, New York, nineteen oh four. At the moment, it's early evening on a summer night. The sun is hugging the horizon. Light still paints the faces of the tall new buildings and warms the streets that snow the horse droppers. Since it's nineteen oh four, nearly no one in New York has a car. It's a dynamic time though. In New York, Elizabeth, the city is being made a new, new architecture reaches high up into the sky, scraping at the clouds. Thus the nickname for these new stone faced edifices and an even more impressive steel boomed, glass skinned buildings. In this same year, nineteen oh four, the construction of the New York Subway is just starting. Wherever you look in Brooklyn you can see the borough is home to all manner of immigrants, people from across the globe. Many of them, most a lot of them are young kids who fill the streets in order to escape the cold water tenement buildings where their family members are all piled on top of one another. The street off of the youngs in space and freedom. And you, Elizabeth, are a flower merchant. You love to watch the case. You push your card into the street.
Speaker 7: And take their place among the road merchants, hawking their wares, their produce, whatever they want. You enjoy all the sights and the sounds of the Brooklyn street. The sound of the oyster men boasting of having the freshest selfish and the kosher of picklemen, and his sonorous voice advertising his delicious crunchy pickles. There's the sausage guy, the hot potato guy, the peanut man, likes to knock out a distinctive little rhythm on the barrel of his peanuts.
Speaker 2: It's a joyous cacophony. Into the scene. You spy a group of boys lately in Brooklyn. The boys have been engaging in these tremendous rock fights. Boys from neighboring streets meet in empty lots and alleys for armed combat. But their choice of combat arms is rocks, stones, chunks of brick masonry. In fact, a friend of yours, an older lady, she caught a stray rock just the other day. That's why you keep your eye on the boys as they make their way through the street market. You recognize this group of boys. It's the Capone brothers. You see that James Foncenzo Capone is out stalking the street the Brooklyn with his brothers Ralph and Frank and John and Albert. Baby brother Matthew, you must be still too young to take to the streets with his big brothers. The youngest of the brothers, the ones out on the street this evening is Albert, he's five years old, and the oldest is James Fonncenzo. He's twelve and the leader of the gang. He watched the boys as they head for the corner, but they don't make it before a second set of neighborhood boys meets them, and on site you can see it's about to go down. The second set of boys are all carrying rocks in their hands, ready for battle. They shout at each other. The Italian boys, the Copones and the other boys speaking with is that Irish lilt of English are all clearly neighborhood rivals, Elizabeth. You gauge the distance. You hope none of the boys have bad aim, but a strong arm. Then it happens. The rocks are tossed, stones are thrown, shouts turned to fists. Even though he's the youngest, baby brother out the Pone is given his all. He is fearless. Middle brothers John and frankly hold their own as well. Baby brother Out he's fighting a kid twice as big as them. One of the older Copone boys, Ralph, throws a boy into some fresh horse droppings. Kid lands face first in the steaming file. You kind of snicker. Ralph Pone laughs as well. Vincenzo is busy wrestling some big Irish boy. John and Frank grab produce from a cart and begin to pelt the other kids. And then, Elizabeth, you see baby brother al separated from his brothers. The bigger kid he's been fighting. He pulls out a knife. These kids don't play. You think to yourself, there's no signs of a cop walking the beat. No help. You hope someone comes by soon. Meanwhile, you see baby brother al Capone square up against this bigger kid, the one wielding the knife, and the kid uses it. He slashes al Capone, cutting him. Vincenzo Capone sees this, goes down. He runs over, tackles the knife building kids. Vincenzo hits the kid with so much forced the kid goes flying. He crashes into no through a plate glass window of a dress shop. Glass shatters, the boy disappears into the dress shop. You hear him cry. Finally, a beat cop turns the corner. The copone boy scatter. Meanwhile, you wonder, whin oh, when will the world be safe from those Compone brothers? Down boom, Elizabeth. That was it for Vincenzo Capon aka James Hard aka a two gun heart. As Marcellus Wallace once said in pulp fiction, you lost your la privileges. Vincenzo Capone had lost his Brooklyn privileges. Yes, so he has to leave town because he's pretty sure this rival gang there's more of them. The family's big, and the one he threw through the plate glass window. He's pretty sure the family will come looking for revenge. So this inciting incident, it makes Vincenzo Capone split town. He disappears into America. He saves his brother Al Capone, and then he leaves the family behind, travels west, becomes a real life cowboy and a prohibition agent. Oh and also to be clear, I should tell you this, that cut in the street fight is not the scars that he gets that makes him Scarface. Oh, I want to make sure that was. Yeah, he earns his notorious nickname. Later he gets three slices to the face and the neck from this angry gangster who was pissed off the young Al Capone told the gangster's baby sister that she had a nice caboose. Yeah. So, anyway, we already covered how two gun Hearts got his nickname. In past episodes, we talked about how Bottles Capone got his nickname. What a group of nickname? Answered the Capone boys, Bottles Scarface and Two Guns anyway, Once he left Brooklyn, ol Vincenzo Capone aka two Gun Heart, he never looks back, Elizabeth. I don't know how often he thought of his family back in New York while he was punching cows in Texas and shooting cigarettes out of the mouths of his boys in Homer, Nebraska. But it's worth recalling. Remember I said he never made any true friends. Yeah, Yeah, started to see anyway. Always a man of mystery, this local character kept everyone at arm's length. Was he had all in contact with his famous gangster family while he was busting bootleggers on the prairie. Had he been in contact them? And then he was pretending to go enlist in the army and fight in the Great War, Yeah, seems like not. I looked up. I could not find any reports or anything. So it seems that he just disappeared for a while, came back the Capone family. They knew nothing of what happened to young Vincenzo. Even if they would have seen one of his mini national news stories. The family obviously didn't recognize his new adopted identity because he's this guy James Hart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they wouldn't connect it. Could you imagine they're reading about it.
Speaker 2: Photo it's some of the later pictures. There's clear photos of him in the paper. Yeah, means, and he looks like a copone, so but with a cowboy hat on a fancy vest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're not looking for it.
Speaker 2: And meanwhile, was he he's unaware of his younger brothers rise to fame in the criminal world. He has no idea what they're doing.
Speaker 3: We had to have known until they.
Speaker 2: Become scarface in the Chicago outfit. Yeah that's years later, from like nineteen o four to the twenties, right, right, So he kind of anyway, so he's following along. Once he does realize like, hey al Capone, that's my boy. Hey Ralph, this is my brother's right, So he starts following the news and he's not far Nebraska is not far from Chicago, No, not at all. So he has no idea his younger brothers are scarface and bottles until they are the Chicago Outfit and then they're famous, and he starts following their criminal careers, his baby brothers in the gangland wars. I. Meanwhile, he's a prohibition agent, so he can't really reach out to them, right, so he follows along in the news documenting the fight of the copone right, and obviously then the subsequent tax evasion trial for his brother, and then he sees his brother Al go to the rock. And this is nineteen thirty seven at this point. This is about the same time. Remember in nineteen thirty five is when two Gun Heart goes back to Homer, Nebraska, becomes a marshall, and then he gets busted robbing the grocery store. So the half blind, glass eyed former lawman now reaches out to his family, his gangster family, and asks for help.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So around the same time, Ralph Bottles Capone is pretty much in charge of the family. So he's been busted though, and he sent to prison and released. So he's the one who Two gun Heart reaches out to, and his baby brother sends out a family member to check the story. He's like, going down to Homer, Nebraska, I don't know where it is, go find it and then see this guy says he says he's related, right, So they send out like I think John Capone, one of the baby brothers, go test him. He didn't know him because he was so young. He's like, I don't know it could be a maybe he seems like but a man. Maybe somebody told him this, right, So he's like, okay, bring him back to Chicago. We'll have Mom decide.
Speaker 3: So oh man.
Speaker 2: Ralph Bottles Capone finally meets up with two gun Heart in Sioux City, Iowa, and then he goes and he brings him up to meet mom. He's not going to just have the younger son bring him to mom. He goes, bring him to Sue City, Iowa. They go and die. Then he he's like, they call him up Chicago to meet Ma. They arrived, they head out to the South Side, where Teresa Capone has a nuncio at this point has a big place that her boy's bought her. Right now, when Mama Capone sees her first born, what do you think, she says, I don't know. She cries out, that's my boy. Two gun Heart is officially home now. I don't know if he was still wearing his loud cowboy clothes, his ten his fancy vest and KICKI boots, but or it's pearl handle pistols. I mean his brothers would bust have been busting his balls if he did. Anyway, the family accepts him in bottles. Capone sets him up with some property, a summer retreat by the lake in Mercer, Wisconsin. He gets them some new clothes, they get him cleaned up. They put him on the family payroll, so he starts getting a monthly check. So then this would come back to bite two gun Heart in the backside. Yeah, maybe, because in nineteen thirty nine, younger brother al Capone is released from Alcatraz and when he gets out, big brother two gun Heart comes home for a family reunion. He meets his long loss gangster brother at the summer retreat and Mercer. He returns home, he tells his wife about, Hey, what' back? Okay, I got it, tell you something about my family. Eventually he tells his sons like, okay, there's something you need to know. You're you come from a very famous family. Yeah, like not the good guy infamous, a very infamous family. So he tells them you're not Hearts, you're Copones and then they go and the oldest he takes the oldest one to go meet him. In nineteen forty six, just after the Second World War is over, Two Gun Heart he brings his eldest son back to Chicago to meet the family, he meets his uncle Scarface and his uncle Bottles. By this point, Al Capone is suffering badly from syphilis. He's losing his mind. Right, it's not a pretty picture. Yeah, but he's still lucid enough that Two Gun Hearts like, we'll talk to my son, right, And then he's telling his son, don't listen to anything. He says, I don't want you to end up like him. We're still law abiders. But meanwhile, back on Homer, Nebraska, we're just starting to spread because the sons just could not help but tell somebody and seems, you know, boop, it gets slipped out. And then eventually a local banker noticed that two Guns was suddenly receiving weekly's cashier checks from a bank in Ciso, Illinois. And everybody knew what Ciso, Illinois was back then, the town that belongs Capone. So anyway, Two Gun Hearts he's still trying to pass it off as he's received this sizeable inheritance from his distant family. Subpar cover story, let me tell you, Lizabeth, it only added to the mystery of Two Gun Heart and oh, though true to his nature as a local character, he doesn't mind all the speculation, right, it makes it more colorful. His own brother in law, Harold, he discovers his secret, as he claims, all by himself and I quote, I figured out then who he was. The magazines had a lot of stories of the Capone funeral and the family, and all the family's first names were the same as the names of the Chicago relatives Dick always talked about. He was always talking Uncle Ralph. So you get the idea. Yeah, he busts him out and it was like, yeah, pretty good. It's like all Elizabeth move. So his brother Acapone passes away in forty seven, two gun Heart doesn't make the trip back for the funeral, though he was still trying to keep his secret identity unknown. Then in fifty one the full truth comes out because remember he gets to put on the family payroll. Well, the Feds go after Bottles Capone and then when they open up the books, boom, look what they find. It's two gun Heart, a prohibition agent getting a payoff from the Capone family makes him look all sorts of hanky. So when Bottles Copone is getting investigated, the authorities they dig through all his financial records. They follow the money trail they discover the long lost Capone brother on.
Speaker 5: Their own DA.
Speaker 2: Understandably, the agents are like, wait what because the full money trail revealed that he also had a summer retreated in Mercer, Wisconsin. And then so not only was he on the Copone family he ye role, he has property and there was other properties as well. Anyway, his own brother bottles Capone his defense attorneys. They subpoena two gun Heart to come and testify on his brother's behalf, and they in open federal court in Chicago. His wife's like, I am not going. He's like, maybe come on please, He's like, I am not going. Ze like I prefer to stay home tend my garden. Remember she's in Nebraska War at this point. So in the end she couldn't let her husband go face the music on his own. She makes the trip with him. She goes to Chicago. His sons at this point they still respect him, Like when the news comes around and they're asking him, well, what's what's it like having a Capone as a father, And they're like, you can say for me that he has been as fine a dad to me and my brother as anyone could ask for. I'm proud of him, Well, so there you go. Me, he's good dad. So guess they gotten over that whole shooting cigarettes out of the mouth period of time Capone family. The money hadn't changed them though, right. The family still maintained a comfortable two story white frame house, modest chickens, lush garden. They also had a cocker Spaniel named Danny. And I actually love it when dogs have human first names. All Danny, Gary, Ted.
Speaker 3: I always have dogs with human first na.
Speaker 2: I know you like Wallace.
Speaker 3: I loved Wallace.
Speaker 2: My mom's got Morty and Elliott. Yeah you got it. Yeah, it just tickles me so much. Anyway, too, got Hart his wife. They make the trip Chicago, he testifies an open cord on his brother's behalf secret is now fully out. It's like national news. Everyone's like, there's another Capone. Yeah, and he's a prohibition agent. Yeah, where's the cowboy boots? Also, his father in law call him too gun heart. So once they everybody know knows that he's a attached to al Capone and al Capone as a cowboy brother, you know, it's a whole thing. The locals in Homer, Nebraska, they start getting asked about it, and there are signs that they say the two Gun Heart was not your typical Western hero, right. For one, his flamboyant style of dress, well yeah, the big brimmed hats, the loud shirts and vest it was almost like he was like an Italian on the prairie. So there's this curious habit. Also of having a thick money roll on him. He was known to pull up fat water cash. People thought it was show money, but he would have like a roll of hundreds from the prairie. He's like a Chicago gangster coming into the general store.
Speaker 3: Was the father Capone? Was he crooked?
Speaker 2: Was he in the father the family, in the mafia, in the Naples? I do not know. I could not answer that well enough. I would assume there may have been some family, but I do not know. I have no idea. Where was I. Oh, yes, so he's in court at this point, right, So he's in Chicago. He's got federal court truths finally revealed, not whispered in, rumored anymore. Right, it's now inarguably revealed, big headlines two gun Hard. So someone asked him in court, like, now that everybody knows your secret, Well, I guess it's the prosecutor a person. Yes, the third row. What was a question, Two gun Hard, I got a it's more of a comment. Had a question. The prosecutor asked, Right now the world knows that you're a Capone. Are you going to keep your adopted name and identity? You can keep being a cowboy? Yeah, so you know he's on the witness stands here gun Hard. He thinks for a moment. He paused, I certainly am I've had it so long it's legal. Yeah, I guess. So that was a common law marriage on an identity. So when he asked if he was perturbed to learn that he was a compone, two gun Heart said, why should I be ashamed of it? I didn't have nothing to do with it. Oh yeah, it's true, right, I mean you can. Heart can't really argue with it. But this is where he must set down to this strange tale of American culture, because a short time later the next year, two Gun Heart aka Vincenzo Capone passed away in Homer, Nebraska. He leaves the world in the same town where he jumped out of that freight train thirty three years prior, looking for his piece of the American dream. He got it got it right so many ways. Many of those ways were an outright lie, but hey, whatever, this is America. So Elizabeth, what's our ridiculous takeaway?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am.
Speaker 4: I'm just fascinated by his ability to, uh, you know, it's so American and it's so Western to just redefine oneself and decide you're going to be something totally different convincingly. What I was asking about his father being you know, mafia adjacent or in it. You know, are these these little ticks that he picked up as a child of seeing his father walk around with hernt of cash or keeping cat But I mean, then again, you really didn't have to be in the mafia to keep cash like on a pillow. Yeah, and so you know, but the little things that it's the nature nurture. What is something that's just like inherent in him? And what little things did he pick up in the first twelve years of his life, oh, that he carried on with him as fascinating Zarin.
Speaker 2: Yes, Elizabeth, how you doing anyway? So I do have a ridiculous takeaway. Thanks, you're asking it's the same one as you basically, but instead of the father, I was thinking about it from his brother al Capone. Yeah, so al Capone and James Hard We do know about both of them. I don't know too much about the father. But when you compare Scarface and two Gun Heart, you see that the brothers basically, even though they're on the opposite sides or prohibition, they're very similar, right, They have very similar traits tendencies. They both like to live well, to look good, to be memorable characters. They opt to take risks, They use intelligence and violence to get their way. They have this undeniable sense of people. They know how to operate people, how to use their will to get the job done, like to enforce their will on reality, I mean, whatever the job may be. And they're both the sort of men that others like to talk about, and they liked to be talked about, and they generate a good copy and I obviously plenty of headlines. Sure, and they were both bigger than life. So maybe there's something about the nature of the nurture or who knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why not both?
Speaker 2: So anyways, they say, there you go, that's awesome. Yeah, prettucerd, we were thinking about a talkback just to clear the air. What do you think, Elizabeth, I would love that I got one for you. Here you go. Oh god, oh my god, super I love ge.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 8: My name is Elizabeth and I just listened to the Byzantium episode. It reminded me of a personality we have here in Memphis who calls himself Prince Mango and says he's from the planet Zambodia, born there open three hundred years ago. He says he's sent here to save the earth. He ran for mayor of Memphis and Shelby County multiple times in the eighties and nineties and always lost. He eventually opened a nightclub and a property called Ashlar Hall, and.
Speaker 3: That has since closed. But it's ridiculous, ridiculous and awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Elizabeth. From one Elizabeth to another. That was a great I like that well.
Speaker 2: As always, you can find us online Ridiculous Crime on the social media's and then there's our beautiful, charming, award winning website Ridiculous Crime dot com. And obviously there is the iHeart app where you can go and download it, record a talkback and maybe hear your voice here on the exactly and also emails if you like a Ridiculous crime at gmail dot com. As always start the email. Dear producer Dan, Okay, there you go. That's all I got for you. We'll catch you next Crime. Viculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and zaraon Burnett, produced and edited by Dave Campbell, back Kusten and starring an Alis Rucker as Judith. Research is by Marissa two Pens Brown and Andrea. The teflon song Sharpened Tear, our theme song is by those Rock Toss and Stone Toss and baby brothers Thomas Lee and Travis Dutton. The host wardrobe provided by Botany five and guest Tarn. Makeup by Sparkleshot and mister Andre. Executive producers are the heads of the Atlanta outfit, Ben Bowland and Noel.
Speaker 5: Bridicrious Crime Say It One More Time, Gudiqueous Cry.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio. Four more podcasts from iHeartRadio visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.