Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Girls Talk Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw Dating, preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Christy Scales, Aisha Morrison, Nicole Hutchison and Jess Navares.
Speaker 3: Well, Good Thursday morning, everybody.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Girls Talk Boys Talk presented by Jig Saw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, brought to you live here in the SWBC podcast studio at the Rainy Star in Frisco, Rainy. Start to ourrow morning. This morning, ladies, we give Christy Scales, Hey, Shan Morrison. Jestavars are jazzy jazz producing for us in the back today. Arnicle Hutcheson is taking some very well deserved r in our time, So I'm here filling in as your host today and then next week she will be back in her host seat. So we miss her, We love her, but we know she deserves one heck of a vacation, especially after all of the amazing coverage she gave us with the combine so cool.
Speaker 3: We love you, we miss you, but you better not be watching this. Enjoy the heck out of your vacation.
Speaker 4: All right, everybody, let's start off by saying we have our text line open, so if you guys have any questions, you can text us at eight one seven two nine zero three two nine to eight. I'm gonna have it here open throughout the show, so if you have any questions, shoot it to us and we will answer them as they come in. But where can I start this podcast off with a little conversation, a little debate, if you will. Something that's being talked about NonStop in all things Dallas Cowboys. It's on the TV, it's on Twitter. Is that of the comments of Dallas Cowboys tight end current Houston Texans tight end Dalton Schultz, who actually just signed I believe a three year contract.
Speaker 3: With the team.
Speaker 4: And it's very interesting because he appeared on the Pat McFee Show and had some comments about what it was like to play for the Cowboys. I had the exact quote up here. I don't want to butcher this, so I'm just gonna read it to you guys and we can open it up for a discussion. All right, he said, quote, the focus is just football, you know what I mean. He's obviously talking about playing in Houston. He said, I'm going back and telling some people about being around the Cowboys practice facility and game day and describing some of the interactions and stuff that you see on a day to day basis, and it surprises a lot of people.
Speaker 3: They're like, Holy, it actually happens at the practice facility.
Speaker 4: You think it's normal, and then you come play at a place like this. He said, it's literally a zoo, Dude, that there's people tape tapping on glass trying to get people's attention while they're doing power cleans or whatever. It's different. That's the brand they've built, that's what owner Jerry Jones likes. That's the way they run things, and there's nothing wrong with that. You just don't realize how many eyeballs and how much that can maybe distract in the locker room or just being in the facility until you go somewhere else, like holy, there's none of that.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So this comes in the wake of the Cowboys culture discussion. Ladies, I want to open this up for discussion. What do you think about Dalton Schulz's.
Speaker 3: Comments and kind of the.
Speaker 4: Weight that it's holding, especially with this off season conversation of there being a culture problem here with the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Well, when he's preferring to tapping the window that there are tours that take place at the Star in Frisco, and we need to be very clear that the only time the Cowboys are at at and T Stadium is on game day. All the work during the week is here at the Star in Frisco, and all these questions about culture, you know, there weren't any questions about it during the twelve wins of the regular season. The questions about the culture have come after the shocking and disappointing first round loss.
Speaker 5: Is he right about it? Yes, there are tours that take place.
Speaker 2: Yes, there are a lot more things that come with being a Dallas Cowboy than certainly being a member of the Houston Texans or some of the franchises that don't have quite the following that the Cowboys do. Or mainly it has to do with accessibility, and Jerry wants this team to be accessible not only to corporate sponsors but also to fans, and so it's one of the few places where you can take a tour of the actual workplace during the week and not just the stadium on game day. And so I think the main phrase that people have to understand, whether you're working for the Cowboys and as an employee in the media, whether you're it comes with the dinner. That's something that Jason Garrett would always say. All of these extraneous things that come with being the Dallas Cowboys, whether it's playing so many primetime games during the season because they're a top draw, right, all of that overnight travel, the being in Oxnard, California, away from your family for three and a half weeks during training camp, all lies being on you. It comes with the dinner. That's the way it is, rightly or wrongly, Dalton Schultz. The main thing he's right about is that's the way Jerry wants it. And when you're the owner and when you're trying to pay all these bills, and when you have the reason why the valuation is nine billion dollars and why this development at the Star in Frisco was worth more than the actual stadium at at and T, it's because of all of these other things.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I'm gonna try to take my emotions out of it and things like that. As far as talking about what it's like being here, I think we can definitely. I know me and Jessica definitely test being new last year. It was an adjustment and I even so was just surprised that just some of the accessibility to your point that you brought up, Christy, but I will say this is a conversation that's been happened for though. And to your point about this is, you know, yeah, this is how Jerry and the way that they have things that accessibility, people being able to come in and everything. But I do think sometimes it can be You can try to adjust all day and prepare for something like that, but to experience it can be distracted, can be and I've heard multiple players say this type of stuff about being here. I do think it is a unique situation. There's nothing. I don't think there's anything like it here in the league for any player. To the points that you made about the games, you know, the primetime games, the amount of attention they get, the scrutiny, and just how they're under a microscope, absolutely, But in regard to what he's saying, I do think that there needs to be a balance and I do think that although although it's it should be I don't know accepted. I do think there needs to be a balance because we have to consider that this is their workplace. This is their workplace, just like we like if we were working at our desk, and like I mean, people go through tours here and that's fine, like we love it, but for certain instances, with how high stakes what they do is, I do think sometimes it could be a distract It could be distracting, and it could take away some of the intensity of what this game calls for and what this game feels like and the preparation for this game feels like. Sometimes. So I don't know, I'm very torn about it. And in regard to the culture thing, again, like I'm going to push back a little bit to you, Christy on the fact that it's just this postseason, this after this season. We've been having conversations about this culture for you know, the last couple of years, because that's why we have new coaches coming in and stuff, because they're trying to change it. They're trying to flip the script. They're trying to make this more football oriented. And I do think it is difficult sometimes when there is so much outside of football that goes on here. And again it's not just even in the building. I mean the national media. The tension that this team gets is next level stuff. I don't believe that you can coach or handle this team like any other team in the NFL because it's very unique, and so I think it's just like a I don't know. I just think it's just like a new a new job or something that like to your to his point, it's like, yeah, you can prepare all day, but to experience it, I don't know. I feel some of the players in this situation, and yeah, that's just how I feel about it.
Speaker 2: Some some players are better, and I think it has to do with your your personality. You're able to handle not only that kind of pressure, but always being in the spotlight. I think that's one of Dak Prescott's great strengths. There be other quarterbacks and I'm going a little further back that don't don't like it, that kind of buckled under it, right, And so I'm not talking about Tony Romo.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not talking about Tony Romo.
Speaker 2: But see, but Romo didn't know any differently, and neither did Dat Prescott. Neither one of them to Troy Aikman, never played in a different uh.
Speaker 5: Place or system.
Speaker 2: Uh obviously what Roger Staubach went through with, you know under Tom Landry. But it's it's a spectrum, right, All workplaces are a little bit different. The culture in New England under Bill Belichick was very very different, right, I mean just all football, and you know they talked about you're not having any fun and stuff like that, you're winning, and some players really thrive in that. But others are like man, they couldn't you know, they wanted to go someplace where you know, I won't say easier, but a different culture. So it takes it takes all tie it takes all temperaments. And I agree with you. I think that for some players it could be distracting. But like Dalton Schultz, and he says it in his comments on the Pat McAfee show, he didn't know any differently until he got to Houston. He came here in twenty eighteen as a fourth round pick, and.
Speaker 5: I also, you know that's just the way it was.
Speaker 4: Well, I also want to throw in there too, is just because it's Dalton Schultz doesn't mean we shouldn't listen and I think that's something that's getting a little misconstrued on Twitter, especially, is because people have such strong feelings about Dalton and kind of I guess his mo O while he was in Dallas, especially when it comes to his online persona that they're not going to listen to that. And as a fan, I understand how that could be, like, oh my gosh, he doesn't want fans around and blah blah blah. Look as a fan, I get it. I grew up a Cowboys fan. My family would drive from Lost Crews over here to home games from one day and then drive back. Like I understand the amount of time, effort, energy, money, blood, sweat tears you put into your fandom for the Cowboys. But you can't see this through a fan lens. And just because it's Dalton Schultz saying it doesn't take the validity out of it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't take anything out of it. Because if it was Jason Witten saying it, you'd listen. You'd be like, oh, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: Actually, But just because it's Dalton Schultz doesn't mean it's not a valid point.
Speaker 2: I Actually I would say it means even more. I mean, this guy was a player, rep here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know, players Union, it's a good point.
Speaker 2: Really really fine player. What a terrific career Dalton Schultz has had. And that three year deal he signed with the Texans this week, three years, thirty six million dollars A man, great for him, and he was a fine player when he was here. He's a good person, good family guy. So I think he is the right player to talk about things like that.
Speaker 4: We also got a text, sorry, no, go ahead. We got a text from Mike and Milwaukee things for texting us, Mike, he said, having lived in Los Angeles, it's the same with the Lakers. Players that play for the Lakers will tell you it's not like playing for the Cleveland Cavaliers. If you don't want the eyeballs on, you don't play for the Dallas Cowboys. We were kind of talking about this before the show started, of how this could be a debate. I usually I want to defer to you for this right because I think it's not just so black and white. I think there's a lot of in between. Grace base that makes that kind of a hard point.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, absolutely. I mean, first of all, if you drafted baby, I don't have a maybe you ain't got my choice, and I do think it is a give and take thing. I do think it is a give and take thing. I mean, I think a lot of players benefit from being here, the brand deals, the notoriety and things like that. I do think that there's good that comes in it. But again, my thing about hearing players like Dalton Schultz should obey Woozia, there's been multiple players is the fact that they sound refreshed when they say it is. It's not. It would be different if they were just saying it, but they're saying I enjoy this, I enjoy this side of things more. And again, I really do think that sometimes the business side of things, the entertainment piece, all of that becomes it overshadows the football sometimes. And I really do think that some of the players are well that. I mean, again, we've heard multiple players talk about this, that it's going to be important for them to kind of find a balance and adopt some of the things. I mean, it doesn't have to be Belichick, it doesn't.
Speaker 5: Have to be like that, right, But it's not.
Speaker 6: I'm giving opposite absolutely, But I think it's nothing wrong with adapting and finding some balance in that because I don't know, like we talk about it, the preparation week to week and what they have to work, they have to put in and things like that. I just sometimes even I personally feel like it's it's little much. But in regard to the draft stuff and guys not really having a choice sometimes, I mean, these guys are playing for their livelihood and things like that. So it's like it's easier said than done. Just don't come here, just don't play here.
Speaker 2: It's all yeah, but you're right, you don't. It's not if you're drafted. You this is one of you.
Speaker 5: Do you think it's the United States? I don't have to say, and where you go?
Speaker 6: And I think it can deter players though I think it has the third players. I think it has the thurd players because the social even from the social media aspect of like what the players experience on a regular basis. I mean, respectfully, jay Ron Curse had death threats this past season from a fan. Ye what they experience that other places if it wasn't so microscope everything. Because another thing too is like I love being here, but we have more media than most teams buy a lot. There's a lot more voices speaking on and breaking down the intricacies of the game and breaking down all.
Speaker 3: Of the if they're not in the building, talk talk about it.
Speaker 6: Even if they're not in the building. Every day our radio station, our our owner and our owners, they go on to Radio STA like there's more.
Speaker 2: Four hits a week on the fan th FM. Jerry does two a week during the season and Steven does during the week.
Speaker 6: So I do think that our fan base sometimes is over educated. I wish that there was some secrets in this place. I wish that there wasn't always everybody knowing everything all the time, because I do think when you have as much information as our fan base gets from the YouTube community, from the content creators, from the radio, from us, it really it's different. It's this is very unique. I really do think like we take for I don't. Sometimes I have to sit and think, like there's so many voices talking about this team consistently, and then if you turn on the TV teams that are other teams, like they may not mention them all week, they may not mention them all year.
Speaker 4: Like It's just I also think too, I don't know, it depends on I guess the circumstance of the player on if they, because.
Speaker 6: It's the truth.
Speaker 4: It really is so interesting because you have guys like Dalton Schultz and Cheetoh that have come out to say, you know, and they're relatively younger players, and I can't imagine.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess to an.
Speaker 4: Extent, you and I can kind of relate of being younger and not knowing any different and coming in here and kind of being shell shocked at first. I mean, even us doing this podcast, Uh when.
Speaker 3: Did we start this? Not last season season before?
Speaker 4: Wow, that's that's crazy.
Speaker 3: You know, it's shell shocking.
Speaker 4: And but then you have a guy like Jason Peters that came in here, you know, and it's just I think it depends too on experience, whether that be football life anything, because then you also have guys like Janye that absolutely thrives in being a Dallas cowboy and he is a younger people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the guys who get it, and again it's temperament. Some people don't want the attention, like for example, Layton vander esh And I'm not talking about contract, whether he's coming back. I'm just talking about him coming in as a first round pick.
Speaker 5: He did not do. He does the minimum amount of media.
Speaker 2: That's what he's done in the past, and he's had some sponsorship things, but he could have owned this town. You know, he could have owned it and had so many more sponsorships and the like Ceedee Lamb does quite a few. Now he's going to explode nationally, right. So the guys that get it and the guys you know, they can really take advantage of it. But not everybody wants it. That's not Layton's temperament, Sean Lee. He didn't really care for that.
Speaker 5: Now. Did he do all the charitable things?
Speaker 2: Did he have the foundation, Yes, but he did it behind the sea means and things.
Speaker 5: Like that, and a lot of these guys DAK.
Speaker 2: There's a wonderful story in the Dallas Morning News today.
Speaker 5: Check it out. David Moore wrote it.
Speaker 2: If you can go online through the paywal it's worth reading about DAK and what he did with Children's Cancer Fund this week. Guys like DAK, they really embrace it. Does it pay off monetarily through sponsorships, Yes, But I'm telling you because I have hosted many of the events that there are so many more things that DAK does that are not tell publicity, that are not alevised, that are not people don't hear about him.
Speaker 5: He doesn't want you to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's and but again, I would like to give one concrete example though, of how things might be different here than other teams. What are you guys talking about the microscope? How would it affect players? I think an obvious example is training camp in California, being out there for three and we were gone twenty six days this year. So most teams now train at home, including the Houston Texans. They don't go off. But here's an example of how things are different. When the Cowboys come back and have the final week and a half, basically three to four practices that are open to the public. By the time we get back from training camp, it's mid August, late August. Kids are back in school. So the practices that would be during the day in Oxnard here in Frisco are in the evening so that people can attend.
Speaker 5: Because the first year or two that we did it, there was nobody.
Speaker 2: It was during the day on a Thursday morning or a Wednesday morning, or excuse me, afternoon, whatever the case, and it was nearly empty because guess what summer break was over kids were back in school, or it's during the work week and so now the past few years they've had those practices at night, so it's an adjustment of the practice schedule. So that's just I'm trying to get a concrete example of Is that a big deal? No, but is it different from how other teams do things? It's just an example.
Speaker 4: Sure, let's take our first break, because we ran over it just a little bit with this conversation. When we come back, though, we're talking about a veteran that did get resigned?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 6: Do you think?
Speaker 4: We'll discuss it on the other end of this break. This is Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jig Sotha.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back to stick with us.
Speaker 8: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound.
Speaker 6: Like something is missing.
Speaker 5: Pepsi baby, the yin to this burger's yang.
Speaker 8: Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettus, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold koola a journey to foutopia.
Speaker 3: Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 5: That's what I like a Jigsaw Dating.
Speaker 7: We obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: The CONCA CAFF National Nations League Finals, I'm so sorry are coming to AH and D Stadium. Don't miss your chance to watch North America's best soccer team battle it out in the semifinals on March twenty first, then see who lifts the trophy in the championship on March twenty fours. Tickets are available now at seageek dot com, the official ticketing provider of AT and T Stadium. Sounds like a fun time. Welcome back to Girls Talkboys Talk. Speaking of a fun time time, we are brought to you by Jigsaw, the preferre dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. Thank you Jigsaw Ladies. Aisha Christy, I'm Jess Jazzy Jazz in the back for us dazzy.
Speaker 3: We love our jazzy, all right. Let's so, we were just talking about Cowboys culture.
Speaker 4: And you know, one of the most interesting topics other than Cowboys culture to come off to come up this off season is that of the salary cap and contracts and deals that need to be done and all of that good stuff. The Cowboys re signed veteran DT Carl Davis, if you remember, he was signed in the later half of the season last year to the practice squad and he used up his three elevations.
Speaker 3: Fairly quickly to fill in for Jonathan Hankins. So I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 4: Other than that, the franchise tag deadline has come and it has gone. It said hello and then it said goodbye very quickly, and the Cowboys didn't use THEIRS this off season, which was expected.
Speaker 3: We had talked about this a couple of weeks ago that.
Speaker 4: There really wasn't anybody that we could see them putting this tag on. So been there, done that, Christy, you wanted to talk about some of the tags that were used around the league.
Speaker 3: And then speaking of tags to kind of tie it back in.
Speaker 4: Obviously we know Tony Pollard was on the franchise tag last year. Let's get into that discussion as well.
Speaker 3: But let's go around the league a little bit.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about the importance of this tag and kind of some names that stood out.
Speaker 2: Well, the main one that stood out to me and defensive tackle. You mentioned Carl Davis coming back. Obviously he's going to be a depth guy and you know, part of the rotation, and yeah, so, but mattabk Justin Matta Baka with Baltimore and then the of course, the Chiefs tagged their cornerback Lagerius Snead because Chris Jones is available, and if they had tagged him with his number, it would have been over thirty million dollars.
Speaker 5: So if you.
Speaker 2: Told me, Christie, you could have any free agent this offseason, that's the one from Baltimore. Of Course, I'm a Maggie too, so I'm a little biased. But when he I'm not surprised that they tagged him, but I was like, ah, not that the Cowboys, Uh, they would have to do a lot of juggling, you know, to be able to afford Justin. I think he's going to get probably near thirty million dollars a year, certainly in the upper twenties. At least, you know, on average. But when I saw that, I was like, good for him. I'm happy for him. But and I think Baltimore is going to try and get a long term deal done with him before the July deadline. But when he went on that, I was like, oh, man, yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was watching well yesterday, I mean we saw the Bills cut through loose and furniture.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because big timettle busy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're a little busy, and you just kind of look at you know, free agency is coming up, and I think that teams are, I've particularly the Bill are preparing to be able to dismiss the change. You know, I think I saw a quarterback get tagged.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, there was not.
Speaker 6: Who was it that guy? There was?
Speaker 3: There's a list.
Speaker 6: There was.
Speaker 7: One.
Speaker 2: You know, Brian Burns is a big one with Carolina. You know, uh they list him as an edge rusher, but he's one of the top players.
Speaker 5: He would be my second pick after Madam b k.
Speaker 4: But that's why I thought that.
Speaker 6: That's why I thought that a quarterback got tagged. It's the Josh Allen for Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: Oh and see that's another He would have been my third.
Speaker 5: He would have been my third. That's okay, my top three guys. My brain was like, yeah, that's the past rusher for Jacksonville.
Speaker 6: Tagging tagging him.
Speaker 2: I think Josh already has his money.
Speaker 6: Y'all leave me alone.
Speaker 3: Here's another question.
Speaker 2: Note, So with Tony Pollard not getting tagged, he was tagged last year, yep. And there's some speculation depending on how things go in the.
Speaker 5: Open market for Pollard.
Speaker 2: What do you guys think the chances are that he actually comes back to the Cowboys?
Speaker 4: You know what, I think it's higher, much higher than we anticipated. And again we talk about guys that kind of can handle the pressures of being a Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 3: Tony Pollard is one of those guys.
Speaker 4: He's not the most vocal guy in the room. He's not yelling, he's not he's very self spoken. In fact, when we're talking to him in the scrum, I'm like, what did you say? Because he's very self spoken. But he enjoys being here and he enjoys doing what he needs to do to help this team, whether it be hey, I'm running back to behind Ezekiel Elliott. Oh, it's my turn to step up and be the one guess what I'm gonna do it, And it may not have been this season we were all expecting and hoping from Tony Pollard, but look, I don't see any harm in trying to bring him back on a deal that's respectful and reasonable for what he wants, what the team can do, especially not having figured out Dak's contract situation yet. And then you know what, if you want to make that a training camp competition of who's actually your starting quarterback, whether you are starting running back, I'm sorry, whether you draft one, whether you pick up a lot, there's a laundry list of free agent running backs you could pick from. Make it a competition, or you say, hey, you're going to.
Speaker 3: Step back in the reins of the two and that's how we're going to keep it. But I don't think there's any harm in bringing him back.
Speaker 4: And you know, I understand the bitter taste in everybody's mouth because of the disappointing low number, career low season that he had, but look, I get running back as a dime a dozen, and the position isn't what it used to be, and there's just gosh, the free agents that are available. It's almost insane this world we live in now that you never thought, YEA, guys like this would be available.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a depressed market. Again, it really is.
Speaker 4: Monitor But again I think Tony Pollard's the guy you want to keep, especially because you know he can really hold up as a running back to and that's valuable.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Absolutely. I mean, obviously when you look at even this draft class, you know there are some guys in here. But I thought about that recently, is if I'm a running back, right, if I'm a I'm in college now, I'm going to the draft. When they were in high school and they're playing running back, they're thinking about the type of money they're gonna make when they get to the game and what they could be doing. And now to see how the position is very much so by committee and things like that. We always look at it as, oh, that's good, you can keep guys healthier, you can give them more longevity. But no, like you know, total yachters on the season and things like that matters, and these guys are having to share and exchange reps more than they've ever had to do before. So it is something that I thought about, and I'm pretty sure it is a little disheartening. To some of these young guys coming in knowing that hey, babe, after that rookie contract, yeah, be careful, it's gonna use you up. Yeah. I'm looking like I'm hoping that some of these young guys coming in and out in this draft are preparing and putting things in place outside of the game because this it's just this disposition is and even if you look at the position in itself, bebe If you ain't got no receiving qualities, it's almost a detriment because teams can take you away and take advantage of it.
Speaker 2: And pass protection because because it's this is a passing game now, yeah, and if its protect, you are not going to be on the field.
Speaker 4: And that's why I think that's something Tony Pollard really worked on this season that you can talk about. Yeah, he had a career low and rushing yards and yards per carry and blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: He was passed. Throwing his butt off out there. I'm sorry, And that's something you've seen out.
Speaker 4: Of Tony Pollard in years given you haven't had to because you had Ezekiel Elliett.
Speaker 6: I understand.
Speaker 4: But he also made it a point to talk to us even at training camp talking about wanting to work on his past.
Speaker 2: Pro and they changed up the past pros this year for the running backs. That was one of the changes.
Speaker 6: He was very stout, and I think even when you look at the pass pro and how much he did sacrifice his body, that wears on you. Sure it wears on you as the season goes on. Furthermore, there wasn't consistency behind him. Nope. So there wasn't early a committee, not a steady one, so he took a lot of the weight as opposed to you know, some of these other teams they've had, they had a committee, so their guys were more fresh towards the end of the season. And I also will say I'm glad that he said. I think it was I don't know what week was it. It was later in the season where he was like, he admitted, yeah, I'm starting to feel and you could see that in his place. You could see the burst from him.
Speaker 2: So you could see some he thought was inverted because usually you kind of lose.
Speaker 5: It as the season goes left.
Speaker 6: But it was different for him coming off the.
Speaker 4: In traumas to trust it to come back from crazy surprise. It's crazy that like a running back needs a healthy leg to be successful being a running back.
Speaker 3: That's wild.
Speaker 6: I would definitely bring him back. Also because of the scheme this. They implemented a whole new scheme last year for a youngin to come in here and have to pick up on a whole new scheme by himself. I believe, I mean Stevey's transitioning football. People say from running back from college to NFL. However, it's still a transition even to your point about the past bro and things like that. Having him come back could be beneficial. I hope that they pair him with one of these stumpers and when some of these guys, some of these rookie guys that can come in and be powerful in their run game. But I really need, and I've been saying on the Draft show, I don't care who's running the ball. Maybe we need to improve the run game scheme and efficiency and execution. That needs to be a point of emphasis this off season because a lot of why they weren't productive too was because it wasn't that creative. Sometimes.
Speaker 3: Also, did you say over there.
Speaker 6: TV if it wasn't that creative? Oh wow?
Speaker 5: Sometimes?
Speaker 4: Uh, Also, if you want to give Dak Prescott a shot at another MVP caliber season.
Speaker 6: You need a solid.
Speaker 4: You want a chance to get past that first round. Well, guess what you were missing in against Green Bay?
Speaker 3: A solid run game.
Speaker 4: But guess what we were talking about all season that was inconsistent. A solid run game and so everything.
Speaker 3: If you want it all to tie.
Speaker 4: Together with a pretty bow, get off, get over this thirty year hump and fix the culture.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Look, you need to help your quarterback and giving him a run game.
Speaker 4: Look, especially if you if you want to play this game and not give him a contract extension, you want him.
Speaker 3: To play lights out, guess what he needs. It's almost like I'm gonna it's.
Speaker 4: It wasn't no play action, wasn't in the room with us. It's not a shade to Tony Pollard or Rico Dudel or anything they did.
Speaker 3: It was just the most.
Speaker 4: Unproductive scheme, especially when you're coming off of a one two punch. Here was Zeke and TP and you know what they're capable of doing, right, It's just whatever, fuck, I'm gonna get off my soapbox.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna start getting real, real mad. About these pray for a screen game.
Speaker 2: Pray Saints pray. Hey, okay, we've been praying for over thirty years.
Speaker 6: We're okay. You know what I thought, Lenae screen game was decent. It was, but it was but it was only to the right side though, ba we never did those greens to the live let me tell you something.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, okay, all right, let's hit our next break. When we come back, We're gonna talk a little Micah Parsons talk. There was some interesting moves that were made. We're gonna talk about why it's not the cowboy fault. You can fault them for a lot of things if you want to, you want to be that kind of fan.
Speaker 3: But this is not. We're going to talk about why.
Speaker 4: Coming up on the other end of this break, this is girls Talk, Boys Talk presented by Jigsaw.
Speaker 3: Will be right backstick with us.
Speaker 6: At Jigsaw Dating.
Speaker 7: We obviously want the cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper. Because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 8: It's the crisp crunch, that first natchoe chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans.
Speaker 3: It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 5: Add a delicious, refreshing.
Speaker 3: Pepsi and we've achieved.
Speaker 8: Absolutely not shown kirvana because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of school. Petsy finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 5: That's what I like.
Speaker 4: Excellent dining, boutique, shopping, and exciting events in the Star District in Frisco, featuring dozens of North Texas is best restaurants and shops, plus a calendar full of family friendly events.
Speaker 3: There's always something to do.
Speaker 4: Uh, there's always something to shop, dine and do in fact.
Speaker 3: At the Star District. Visit the stardistrict dot com from our information.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Girls Talk, Boys Talk presented by Jigsaf.
Speaker 3: We have Christy Ayisha, Jesse Jazz in the back.
Speaker 4: If you have questions for us, you can text us for the next We'll say ten minutes, ten minutes at eight one seven, two nine zero three two nine eight.
Speaker 3: Our text line is open.
Speaker 4: As these texts come in, I'll read them out loud and then we'll answer whatever questions again. Eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight.
Speaker 6: All right, cool cars for them to stop asking me draft question.
Speaker 3: We're asking all the dang draft questions. You had a homework homework.
Speaker 4: Look that ask me deep stuff is literally in like ten minutes they talk about them, tail me murdy minutes.
Speaker 3: Maybe tell you more.
Speaker 6: This ain't the show for that.
Speaker 4: Look, you can watch the draft show. Our girl Ayisha Morrison is on there as well.
Speaker 3: I message you, guys.
Speaker 6: I'll message you guys back later on with what the players you asked me about.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 4: Starting on Girls Talk, Boys Talk, we'll start doing an Aisha draft segment because we.
Speaker 3: Had to do that last year.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, so we'll start that.
Speaker 3: We'll start that next.
Speaker 5: My popular demand, the people want, what the people want.
Speaker 3: To give the people what they want. Jesus, she loves you, guys, much pressure. We do have a.
Speaker 4: Question from another mic not not to be confused with other Mike who sent us a text earlier, and not to be confused with Mike McCarthy or Mike Zimmer.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of mics. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, Mike from boss and said, do you worry with all the coaches being on basically one year deals that maybe they'll make decisions they normally wouldn't make if they had more security, maybe on a big game decision where normally he made you one thing, but now you feel that pressure and makes a bit of a rash decision. That's a fantastic question, and it made me stop and think for.
Speaker 3: A second, what do you guys think. I'm gonna put this up for discussion end game?
Speaker 2: No, But in terms of depth, chart and player evaluation and draft, right, yeah, you know, the whole thing here is draft and developed draft, developed, draft and develop it. But when you're on a one year contract and you have a choice between an untested Brookie and a guy who's maybe been in your system before or certainly has some experience in the NFL, then who are you going to go with?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Yeah, they're gonna definitely feel a sense of urgency amazone. Yeah, you would hope for that they felt the sense of urgency, you know, I mean coaches coaching on one year deals always sounds like not so good. But I think some of these gentlemen might look at it, especially like a Zummer, like he hasn't coached in the NFL for a while, not a while, but just last year. But it's been a year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeahs a year or two minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah so, but you know, like Eric Kendricks gets released by LA right and he played for years, they might like it was it Mike's son's funeral, you know, I mean he he You know that that would be an example upbringing in a guy like that.
Speaker 4: When you saw the dan Quinn wave of guys come in, I could see something similar.
Speaker 2: But but it's a great question, Mike, because it really is. But again, I just can't see it on game day. The other thing would be is if the season goes south for some reason, whether it's injuries or just sometime the ball done out your way towards the end of the year, are guys going to be putting lines out to try and you know, if they see the riding on the wall, will they be putting some lines out to see if maybe they can set something up for themselves to.
Speaker 5: Continue their NFL career.
Speaker 2: So that but that would be way, way way down the road. But I think more immediately it has to do with roster building. But the coaches do have an input. They don't have final say, but they do have input. And also in terms of who's getting the reps.
Speaker 4: Yeah, real quick, before we run out of time, I promised you guys that you couldn't blame the Cowboys for something.
Speaker 3: And let's talk about it.
Speaker 4: Because the Cowboys are picking up the fifth year option for Micah Parsons. This option is under defensive end, which is a two point seven million dollars less than a linebacker would be in the year twenty twenty five. Let's talk about it because that fifth year option, the position he's designated as, is not in fact determined by the Cowboys. Christy right, let's uh, let's open this up and let's put this to rest, because I keep seeing the arguments on Twitter and I'm sick of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it's have a good day today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the league.
Speaker 2: They tally where you played the most, you know, at which position during the season he did play the vast majority of the season over eighty five percent at defensive end. So, uh, linebacker gets more. Uh, but that's because so many of the highest paid linebackers are the pass rushing linebackers, right that, you know, stand up, you know, pass rush off that the edge kind of thing. So edge rushers drives up the uh, you know, the average compared to defensive ends. So but but really that's ultimately determined by where you played the previous season.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 6: Are you sure? I don't have a whole lot to comments about it.
Speaker 5: But is he you know he is he an edge rusher?
Speaker 3: Yes? Did he himself an edge rushing line back?
Speaker 6: But he did it? I definitely. With this conversation and us knowing this, I'm very curious, especially with his contract comeing up next year, I'm curious to see how much he is going to play linebacker and zimc Zim's uh function, skip scheme offense man and how they operate and use him off ball and do some things as well. So I mean, yeah, he did he played mostly d and big bro. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the other thing is how did they address defensive end? Especially if you lose Dolorrance Armstrong and Dante Fowler, it may not you know, find necessity. Yeah, and that's the thing it's going to be. It's all building the roster or injuries right at one spot.
Speaker 6: This is a tough draft to not number one not gotten a lot of production from your guys, your guys you drafted last year, and they know don't have that many picks. I'm praying and fast and that they do something to get a fourth round pick. But this is a they I feel like they're gonna need some stuff truly after this free agency, you know, kind of subsides and things. And you guys mentioned you just mentioned to two of the depth pieces for d N. Where else are they gonna find that? And so to me, I'm just I know a lot of people, even with Carl, they're like, why there resigning it? They need it if you look at the depth of the DT.
Speaker 4: Also Jonathan Hankins, he's technically gonna hit the market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and he was a key part of this, key part of it. You saw what happened when he wasn't there.
Speaker 2: And are we counting on Mazie to make a second in your leap because it was an underwhelming rookie season.
Speaker 3: You need to can't You need you need him to. It's not a can we should, We know he needs to.
Speaker 6: I think you need to be planning.
Speaker 4: Like with the lack of depth, you need to you to be planning, Like christ you don't know, Harsh, you just don't.
Speaker 3: There's nothing to go off of.
Speaker 4: Truly, there's nothing to go off us off of for us to actually know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the defensive front is something. Front seven is something that I think, Uh, these guys are gonna take very seriously in this draft upcoming. Yes you do one of like this wide receiver classes just through the roof might put them in some top some tough spots. I think obviously the tackle class is just through the roof at the top level. There's a lot of talent there, but it's I think it is going to be important for them to kind of look at d END and DT maybe later rounds and see if they can find some guys that can come in and be productive immediately. They need production from guys this draft class at least the top three immediately.
Speaker 4: My question for you, Christy, gave you some homework class week right when we were talking about the combine. We didn't really get to get into that discussion too much. However, for the last few minutes, let's have you uh reveal your your homework to the class and will give you a grade uh whenever we think.
Speaker 5: You did great.
Speaker 3: Now I'm gonna be I'm gonna be the harsh teacher.
Speaker 6: All right, I got a couple of guys.
Speaker 3: What are your notes from the combine?
Speaker 4: And who should the people keep an eye out for since they want to ask you draft questions?
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 6: Honestly, these are these guys are a little random. I mean brayln Island from Wisconsin running back. He's not he's people know who he is. This guy's like a baby tank, y'all. And not like baby tank like DeMarcus Lawrence. Like he runs like a baby tank like. He's not that big in stature, but he runs really downhill and he's physical. He does have vision and foot quickness to cut back and follow lineman. He I think he does a good well a good job sitting on the lineman's hip and follow him through blocks. He doesn't possess a lot of lateral agility, so he's not jump cutting all crazy and doing all this up and just bounce into the outside. But when you when you when he runs, you feel him, you feel his presence.
Speaker 5: He's powerful so short yardage shortage.
Speaker 6: Yes, he does have some some some good topping speed, and he can explode through contact as well. This is a guy that constantly is falling forward and us.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 6: He I think he plays with just enough patience, just enough patience to allow things to open up in form, because sometimes you see guys in the running backs where you're just like, go now, you wait too long. No, I think he's just patient enough to get some production there. I think guys would just get tired of tackling his ass. They like he he is one of those gentlemen, and he's a tank. A lot of the conversation of the combine was like, this guy is just built, like yeah, yeah, I think he's Yeah, he's like thick legs and very.
Speaker 4: Thick sounds familiar, very sick stature.
Speaker 6: I don't know why I did not right.
Speaker 5: Now, that's all right, but stout thick.
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely, he's six.
Speaker 2: Yes, Wow, that's bigger than a lot of linebackers.
Speaker 3: So he's just a I think this is a guy.
Speaker 6: I don't know how high he's gonna go. He did not run his forty at the combine, which again, if these guys show, some of these gentlemen like to just do their Prota workouts and go about their business. But I think that's going to be important seeing what his forty is. But if you look at the tape, he's just a punishing guy with some explosiveness and the ability to get to the second level and do some things. But I just think he's one of those gentlemen that you can hit him with your speedback and then when you hit him with this guy, they're gonna be like bro sit him down, like people are going to try to take advantage of when he is not on the field. Second guy got listen. One thing that I think that I think was underrated last year, and we didn't talk about enough with special teams and how special teams covered suffered when C. J. Goodwin got hurt and that there was just some issue there and cover there was some issue there with returns. Gentleman that was at the at the what was it the Shrine Bowl, Steel Chambers Lionbacker. I was able to speak to him briefly and get to know him. He's a hell of a personality. You see him with his bandana's line and all his his sleeves and all this stuff. He's very expressive. A lot of people talked about at the combine just how much of a personality is and how he's gonna win you over. But this dude, he might be friendly out there, but when he's on the field, he's a hard hitter. He's still learning the linebacker position because he's a former running back. Interesting, which is insane, but he is. He's he's a former running back.
Speaker 2: I bet, I bet he can diagnose plays, and it's a way that's different from other guys.
Speaker 5: He only played defense.
Speaker 6: Yes, like he can't. He's six six two, so he has good.
Speaker 2: Side so smaller than the guy he's tackling. Yeah, rookie can't.
Speaker 5: So I didn't tackle.
Speaker 6: So I think any team that brings him in is gonna have to help him develop and things like that. He has a high moor motor. He's a decisive, physical tackler, and he's also has like a relentless pursuit. Again, I think that's gonna come in handy with special teams. I think this guy, of course, you want him to eventually play linebacker and be able to play the game. I definitely think he can. He has a lot of quickness, the process and all that stuff. But man, as a special teams player, he could be your ace. He could be your he could be your gunner. I think he could be a difference maker or even like a personal protector. I think he could be a key position for a team special for a special teams player, because he's just heavy enough to be forceful, but just light enough to be able to run and move and things like that.
Speaker 2: So so what DeMar Von Overshown was supposed to be last season before he got injured.
Speaker 6: Ohio State. By the way, Ohio State still Chambers linebacker out of Ohio State. Interesting player, good, that's what we want.
Speaker 2: We want nuggets and the you know players that we did, and he should be.
Speaker 6: There in the later rounds. I think he's not. He's not gonna go super high. He's not, but people who get them, this is a fiery player, and I think he can immediately make your special teams better.
Speaker 2: And the kind of personality that would I would love him some bones.
Speaker 6: Oh I love him some bones death. But I think they need that help. I think special teams took a step back last year.
Speaker 4: Also, it had to because of all the shifting all of the injuries did on special teams, so people were playing positions that they've never played before and they're learning on the spot.
Speaker 2: And this time next week we may be having a conversation about changes in the kickoffs and so special teams could be really, really key because kickoffs are coming back in the NFL if the owners vote for some of these things that John Fossil has been presenting to the competition committee.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, well, our time is up here. I appreciate you ladies so so much. Asha Christy a plus by the way, Yes, I thought it was gonna be a heart teacher, but I'll be leading in today. Thank you ladies so much. It's always a fun time. Our Jazzy in the back, we appreciate you as well. We'll be back here same time, ten am Central time. Wherever you are listening to this podcast.
Speaker 3: Girls Talk, Boys Talk, will be back. I won't be here next week. I will be unst at.
Speaker 5: The Guardians of the Galaxy.
Speaker 3: Yep, so don't bother me with your cowboys questions. I'm off next week.
Speaker 4: I am unplugging and taking some much needed mental health Disney Recharge Day.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: As a millennial Disney adult, I must go do that. Thank you guys so much for listening. If you have questions stout the week, please send them. We'll answer them and we'll have plenty to talk about next week. Thanks for listening tuning in. We appreciate you. This is Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw. Have a great day, We'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.