Speaker 1: Do you hate hangovers, We'll say goodbye to hangovers. Out of Office gives you the social buzz without the next day regret. Their best selling out of Office gummies were designed to provide a mild, relaxing buzz, boost your mood, and enhance creativity and relaxation. With five different strengths, you can tailor the dose to fit your vibe, from a gentle one point five milligram micro dose to their newest fifteen milligram gummy for a more elevated experience. Their THHC beverages and gummies are a modern, mindful alternative to a glass of wine or a cocktail. And I'll tell you this, I've given up booze. I don't like the hangovers. I prefer the gummy experience. Soul is a wellness brand that believes feeling good should be fun and easy. Soul specializes in delicious HEMP derived THHC and CBD products, all designed to boost your mood and simply help you unwine so if you struggle to switch off at night, Soul also has a variety of products specifically designed to just simply help you get a better night's sleep, including their top selling Sleepy gummies. It's a fan favorite for deep restorative sleep. So bring on the good vibes and treat yourself to Soul today. Right now, Soul is offering my audience thirty percent off your entire order. So go to gitsold dot com use the promo code toodcast. Don't forget that code. That's getsold dot Com promo code toodcast for thirty percent off. Hello there, Happy Monday, and welcome to another episode of The Chuck Podcast. As you can see, I am not in studio. I am traveling. I am in Miami. I'm on a sort of a three city excursion here. I'll be in Miami, I'll be in Charlotte. I got a trip to New York all this week. I just came from Austin. I want to actually give a report on that. It was a participant at the Texas Tribune Festival where I interviewed Wes Moore. Actually, a part of that conversation I'm going to have in the feed later this week, so you will get a full opportunity to hear that conversation. Let me just give a quick rundown of what to expect on this episode. Long interviews with a gentleman by the name of David Lesh. He is the subject of an interesting book that those of you that know me know I'd be a sucker for. It's called From Dodgers to Damascus. It's about a one time major league pitching prospect who got injured in the minors, ended up. I think I think may have had a cup of coffee and the majors. We'll talk about it. We have that conversation and instead became an expert on the Middle East. Hence Dodgers to Damascus. Actually found himself to be in the room with Asad at times and really is an expert in particular on Syria. So really that's a big part of our conversation is sort of where's the Middle East headed? What could the next three to five years look like, and what could the next ten to twenty years look like. It's a terrific conversation, and David Lesh is a wonderful It was a wonderful interview to have, and I do think you'll learn quite a bit. But yes, the hook was the Dodgers in baseball. Right, you go from there to the Middle East? Right?
Speaker 2: What is there any better home.
Speaker 1: Than the check podcast for something like that it's also Monday, which means it's time Machine day, and boy, do I have a doozy for you in the Toddcast time machine or we'll go back. This is a fascinating week. Here's what I'll just tell you. This week in history is basically the greatest week. If you're a conspiracy theorist, this is your going to be your favorite week in history. I will just simply leave you with that tease. Of course, I'll take some questions, and let's just say I have a lot to say about college football the playoff, and I've got a whole bunch of advice for the college Football Playoff Committee in the ESPN executives who are going to be making these decisions. Hopefully they will actually care about what happened on the field rather than the machination that they usually care about off the field. But there's a few issues that I think that they have to take up, and we'll see how serious they are about trying to actually find the most worthy teams versus those that they want to just feature in a television show.
Speaker 2: But with that, let me get started with.
Speaker 1: A quick little take on where we're at at the moment in our current politics, and where we're at is we have a president who is in the midst of a feeding frenzy, and it is a feeding frenzy that he can't control, and he is flailing. We've been in these positions with him before and he always navigates his way out of it.
Speaker 2: But this time is different.
Speaker 1: As I said in our previous episode, we've got a struggling economy, something that he's actually reacting to that's fascinating and I want to get to that also in this episode.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, his.
Speaker 1: What he's doing and how he's react acting to this Epstein situation is not exactly the way somebody who's innocent would be reacting it is. There's so many aspects of this that are strange when it comes to the way he's treated this story. I mean, I'll go back to something and I know, just set aside everything you know about the story, but think about it in this way. Donald Trump has the ability to be as his way out of you know, he lies, you know, sort of the way water flows out of a faucet, right, He's very comfortable doing that, and he'll say whatever it takes today to put off something that may be coming tomorrow, and if he's got to say something else tomorrow, I'll say something else tomorrow. The big head scratcher here on this one is why he has chosen to be so lenient on Glene Maxwell. And to me, this is the part I want to focus on first. And then I'm going to get to what is clearly an over action to Marjorie Taylor Green and Thomas Massey, and I'll get to that in a second, but I keep coming back to this Gallaine Maxwell. And again when you get when we get to my time the time Machine segment today, you'll see where I'm going. But the reason there's an assumption he's lying about something is because there's so many politicians that have preceded him over the last fifty years that have always lied to protect themselves first, and eventually the truth would come out. It just sometimes would take years and in some cases decades. What's a head scratcher about the way he has treated Gallaine Maxwell is he seems to fear her. And the question is why does he fear her? She's in jail number one, number two. She was convicted of essentially helping Epstein traffic underage women. He could easily be wanting to throw the book at her, and instead of putting her in a club fed, he could have been putting her in solitary or making her life even more miserable, rather than trying to be lenient. And for whatever reason, he really wants her not to say anything bad about him, even though if she did, he could just simply say she's lying. She you know that he had a story that was plausible enough that would likely have kept everybody on his side. Right. The story was Epstein was being a creep, He was recruiting. He and Glaine were recruiting women from mar Alago. He had had enough, he kicked him out. And of the relationship, why is he keep pulling Glaine Maxwell back into his orbit? And I'll just say this, there is something else in his life. There is something that she knows about, perhaps as there's something she assisted him with. Maybe it's a relationship he has or had with somebody. But there is something that he has that hasn't come out that he apparently is petrified of that she knows, because there really seems to be no other explanation, because he could be behaving the exact opposite way, and the fact that he isn't is a head scratcher, and someday, maybe sooner, maybe it'll take a while, we'll find out for sure. Maybe she knows the origin story of his personal life, Maybe she knows things that we don't know about the origin story of his marriage. None of us know for sure. His behavior is making it easier to go down conspiratorial lanes, and it's almost like he is he is either purposely doing this just to try to create more fog, which is not totally out of character for him, or there's something that Maxwell has that he just can't he just can't risk, and so he's got to figure out. So we'll see. Look, if he commutes her sentence and releases her, that will be you know, not just one red flag, right, that would be a thousand red flags. But let's go to the other part of this story, which is his decision to punish Marjorie Taylor Green unindorse her. We already know he's sicked his political machine on Thomas Massey trying to primary him. There's an interesting pattern here Trump. I'm trying to figure out who is Trump dumped or pulled his endorsement from, or tried to defeat in his side of the aisle who disagreed with him on an issue of substance. Right, he went after those that voted to impeach him after January sixth, right, the ten, and he is he doesn't want to forget those. He's still got vendettas against anybody that voted to convict him in the Senate. Hence why I think there's still no endorsement for Bilcassidy, and I don't think there will ever be an endorsement for bil Cassidy in his Senate see but none of these. He is angrier at Massy and Green for simply voting for transparency on the Epstein files. Then he's as angry at them as he was against the ten House Republicans that voted to impeach him after January six It is, it is if this is this, and the irony is, he's got plenty of ways that they're likely going to kill this. Right, he's got the Senate, we'll see. Look, I think if there's a hundred or more House Republicans that vote with the Democrats on this, and I think there will be that many. I do think that once this vote goes on the record, there's a reason Mike Johnson wanted to try to just release the files as a unanimous consent because he doesn't want a recorded vote. There's a whole bunch of House Republicans that don't want to have to vote against the president on this, but they're more petrified of not voting to release files having to do with a pedophile. So that's one. The second way they could kill it is maybe in the Senate, but if it gets one hundred or more House votes, I think there are thirteen Senate votes. Now maybe leader's Senate leadership just finds different ways never to bring it to the floor. But somebody's going to bring this to the floor. Somebody's going to be able to introduce it, and then it's possible Trump could be to it. But don't underestimate what the Justice Department just did with this when Donald Trump railed ranted on social media demanding that Pam Bondi started an investigation into Democrats in their relationship with Epstein. Because here's what's likely to happen. If there's an open and vestigation that the Justice Department is conducting having to do with people in their associations with Epstein, then it's likely they go to a court and say hey, we can't have these files released because it's currently a part of an investigation. Right there's been a lot of conversation. One of the knee jerk right wing talking points is, well, the Biden folks could have released this, Well, they were in the middle of an investigation, so they couldn't release any files at the time. Now the investigation, in theory is over. But if they're reopening an investigation, then suddenly that likely will mean that will be used. This quote open investigation will be used as saying, hey, we can't release any of this material. It may matter in an investigation and we don't want to have to put all that out earlier. So it's there's a lot of paths I think for this to have these files prevented from being released to the public. There's a handful of ways. You can see how it could be Senate leadership that does it. It could be that President Trump vetos it, or it could simply be the Justice Department goes to court to say they can't because there's an open investigation. Because Pam Bondi agreed to open investigation just to investigate Democrats in their relationship with Epstein.
Speaker 2: So the point is it's how much, it's.
Speaker 1: How rattled he is on this. And when he's rattled, this is when mistakes get made, and he's rattled at a time when the other parts of his job aren't going very well. Right, you have, it's pretty clear that this economy is not working for people that don't have money. He is realizing how badly the inflation issue is impacting, particularly his voters, because he's doing something he said he'd never do. He's getting rid of tariffs on food and coffee. Now, what's interesting is how all of his surrogates went out on the Sunday shows and they won't say that they're getting rid of the tariffs, like they keep not trying to use the word, or they keep saying, no, we're lowering costs. Oh, you're getting rid of the tariffs. So the terroifts raised costs. No, the teriffs didn't raise any costs. But we're going to lower costs on food. There's this weird they don't you know. Donald Trump can't ever admit he's wrong. And the fact of the matter is these tariffs. Foreigners didn't pay these fees. You and I did. We've been paying this if you've bought up banana recently, you paid tariffs. So if he's going to sit here and refund this to some people, and we'll see if they're even able to do that, we're going to find out soon enough. He's likely to lose at least some of this tariff authority in court. He probably will try to find another way in the law to try to to try to implement some of these tariffs, and I think there are a few other levers he can pull that he'll be able to do this. But the reality is is that, you know, despite everything he claimed that somehow Americans weren't going to be paying this tax, Americans have paid this tax. We have been getting more tax on food, particularly fruits, vegetables, stuff that comes from overseas, plus coffee. So the fact that they're dropping them shows you that there's a bit of an acknowledgment that number one, prices haven't calmed down, they've gone up, and number two, he's been the reason why prices have gone up.
Speaker 2: And then finally he's got to deal with this healthcare.
Speaker 1: Issue and the fact that premiums are everybody now that is on the Obamacare exchanges is seeing that the premiums are about to go up if they were getting some of these subsidies. It looks to me like there's going to be an extension of these subsidies. Is it a year, is it a year with a few extra strings attached. I think all of those things are possible, But I do want to highlight something Rick Scott said. Rick Scott made it crystal clear in a Sunday Show interview earlier that they were not going to repeal Obamacare and that you know, there was not going They were not that they that all insurance was going you know, they weren't going to repeal the pre existing condition issue. Because the only way to save money on this on on these insurance exchanges in Obamacare is if you let insurance companies essentially cherry pick who they get to cover and if you don't have a pre existing condition, and they can shift people with pre existing conditions and make them pay higher rates but have healthy people pay super low rates. That's you know that that's the system we had before, which didn't work for anybody. So the fact that Rick Scott is saying we are not going to do that because you cannot have insurance companies be able to to not accept clients because of a pre existing condition. This is why the system didn't work before. But the talking point that is really bizarre to me, as they're saying, well, they don't want to give this money to the insurance companies, are going to give it to the American people. Well, where do they think the American people is going to spend this money? Can you get health insurance coverage without paying an insurance company? I mean, I guess unless we're going to be doing Medicare.
Speaker 2: For all, is that the plan.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's going to be the plan that comes from the Republican side of the aisle. But if you don't want to pay insurance companies, who else do you pay? And if you would like to get rid of the insurance companies, if you hate insurance companies, Bernie Sanders would love to talk with you. He's got a plan, Republicans. If you don't like insurance companies and you don't want to pay insurance companies, He's got a terrific idea, just do it straight with the government. So it's a strange talking point that they're using. But the point is they know this is not good politics for them. They know that they have to deal with this, and I think they're going to deal with this soon. But this Epstein thing, I it's a When I was growing up, there was a deodorant commercial for a deodorant called Sure. And this is back when we had aerosol deodorance, and you know that the aerosol deodorance was gross, you know, thankfully, you know, we had such a we were so worried about the ozone layer back then. They finally got rid of those things, which is there's a whole bunch of us that are thankful for that. That was just gross. You walk into a gem and you'd always smell that sort of aerosol deodorant. It was disgusting. But the Sure, I always said, never let them see a sweat was sort of the tagline for Sure deodorant. Well, Donald Trump is letting all of us see him sweat. This episode of The Chuck Podcast is brought to you by Waldgrain. Waldgrain is the first bake of from Frozen subscription box for our teasonal Breads, seasonal pastries, and fresh pastas, plus all items conveniently bake in twenty five minutes or less, Unlike many store bought options, Wild Grain uses simple ingredients you can pronounce and a slow fermentation process that can be easier on your belly and richer in nutrients and antioxidants. Wild Grains boxes are fully customizable. They're constantly adding seasonal and limited tiding products for you to enjoy it. In addition to their classic box, they now feature a gluten free box and a plant based box. I checked out the gluten free box and let me tell you, they have a gluten free sour dough bread. It is. We got two loads of it and we've done one loaf already. It's a cranberry and almond sour dough bread. It's like the best raisin bread you've ever had, except it's not raisin. It's great. You're gonna love this. You know it's in or miss if you mess around in the gluten free bread world. This is a hit. Seriously, I was impressed. Look for a limited time, Wildgrain is offering our listeners thirty dollars off your first box, plus free croissants in every box. When you go to wildgrain dot com slash podcast to start your subscription, follow these instructions. Free croissants in every box, thirty dollars off your first box when you go to wildgrain dot com slash podcast. That's Wildgrain dot com slash podcast. Or simply use the promo code podcast at checkout. Always use the code, get the discount. I'm telling you it's excellent, excellent, bright. He is clearly nervous about all things ups. It is his personal obsession. He is trying to enact political and vendettas having to do with it. He is making Marchie Taylor Green a martyr. He is giving, he is helping get her mainstreamed with independency. She is proudly calling herself, you know, Mago without him, And that's.
Speaker 2: The thing, like he is not. You know.
Speaker 1: I do think Thomas Massey, who was a sort of America first Conservative before Donald Trump ever showed up. Margie Taylor Green's beliefs clearly aligned closer with with a conservative that's more in line with Massy than she is with Trump. Trump is always as many a Trump advisor will quietly let me know, he's always the least Mega person in any room you walk into, wherever you go with Maga, Trump's the least Maga. And he's become obsessed with the deal making overseas he's become obsessed with all the money he's making off of his off of his influence in government. It's pretty much the opposite of what the true believers in MAGA, those that did want to go after the elites, who thought the elites were using government to enrich themselves, And what's Donald Trump doing using government to enrich himself. So look, I wrote it my substeck last week, and I think that so far everything is playing out sort of exactly out I sort of was laying it out, and I think we're going to continue to see it. His influence is waning. More Republicans discover every day that he will never be on a ballot again, and just keep an eye on. So he's already gone after Massi and it's not really going that well. Thomas Massey's primary is going is May nineteenth, and that's fairly early in the primary season. There's a lot more though, you know, we have a few states in March, a couple of states in April, but most of the primaries are in June, than a big chunk in August, and are remaining a few in September. If Massi wins, And right now, I'd rather be Massy than anybody else in that Republican primary. He's had a hard time finding anybody. It's yet going to be another reminder that the Emperor is losing his clothes. I'm not going to say the Emperor has no clue at the moment, but I think the Emperor is starting to shed some clothes at the moment. And if he is trying to punish somebody and he can't do it right, he already lost one big one with Brian Kemp. And remember why he turned on Brian Kemp. He turned on Brian Camp over January sixth. In the election. He turned on Brian Camp because Brian Kemp wouldn't do an illegal act right, Brian Kemp wouldn't abide by his by Donald Trump's wishes. So again this pattern. The only time Donald Trump wants to punish a fellow Republican is when they won't go along with something that just is bullshit. Right. They won't go along on the Epstein files, they won't go along on January sixth, they won't go along on the election. And whether they're it's the only time he turns on folks. He doesn't ever really turn on him over policy. Disagreements. He only turns on him if he thinks other people are going to embarrass them him because because they won't keep his lie up. And when Massey wins that primary in May, it's yet going to be another chink in the armor, and it's going to continue to open the store and everybody is it's just getting easier and easier to separate yourself from Donald Trump, and there's going to be these different lease a little small. The Epstein vote is going to be a step in that direction, and you're going to see one hundred or more House members do it. When the Supreme Court rules against his tariffs, you're going to see a whole bunch of Republicans suddenly find their free trade spines again, and they'll put out releases talking about following the Constitution. So these little and then you're going to see, you know, as people are upset about the costs rising costs, you're going to see more in Republicans look for ways to potentially separate themselves from the way House, but certainly to more directly appeal to voters, either in different ways to try to get rid of terrorists the lower costs, or to question big tech and what they're doing to raise our electric bills with all these data centers that are going up all over the place. So I do think we are witnessing, like I said before the beginning of the lame ducification of Donald Trump. One other thing before we get to the interview that I want to get to. So I spent Thursday and Friday in Austin, Texas the Texas Tribune Festival.
Speaker 2: They have it every year. I've been to it a few times.
Speaker 1: They asked me to moderate a conversation with Maryland Governor Wes Moore. I think I told you I was doing that while I was there. I also it kind of unofficially became a bit of a cattle call for twenty twenty eight presidential candidates on the Democratic side of the aisle. Wes Moore was there, Pete Bootagige there, Tim Walls was there, Chris Murphy was there. So, you know, while I'm not going to sit here and say it was, you had a whole bunch of people looking for twenty twenty eight candidates. I think they were there looking for people to fight Donald Trump more than anything else. It was interesting the various conversations that were had looked. I would say, the attendees at the Texas Tribune Festival were folks looking to fight Trump. These were folks that are you know, fall on the left side of the aisle. They were there looking for They're looking for hope, you know, looking for a stronger vision in the Democratic Party looking in some cases, I think many of them probably were a little further to the left than probably the average rank and file member of the Democratic Party. And like I said the wes More conversation, you know, I was intrigued by the sort of the tone he took. He knew this audience was very liberal, and yet he didn't try to play to the audience. He really hugged the center lane in ways that I didn't fully expect him to hug it. He made it clear that, you know, he didn't view himself as tied to the Democratic Party. He was a Democrat, but that didn't mean he would abide by everything the Democratic Party was for. I thought that was an interesting distinction. Always a little bit easier for governors to say that than any other officeholder, but he went out of his way to say that. I thought that was intriguing, and I do think it's you know, when he goes through. I mean, his military experience is you know, I think there's some you know, John Kerrey used to get criticized by some who thought that he used his military he went into the military for political purposes. I don't care if somebody went into the military for political purposes. That doesn't bother me. But some people think, oh, you're doing it to check a box. That isn't why Wes Moore joined the military, and that's what he got in.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I I'm not going to sit here and question the motive of somebody that chooses to put themselves in a position where they could put themselves in harms way because they think it'll look good on a political resume. I'm not saying some haven't thought about it that in those terms. But if you're willing to do that, then I've got no problem with that. I appreciate that you're trying to have a variety of experiences in order to in order to be a better leader if you do get a shot at being a small, de democratic leader of this country. So I don't think it's a huge deal, but I do think his military experience a little bit different. Right when you join at seventeen and he was already had gone to military school. So I just think he I don't think he's a conventional liberal Democrat, is my point. And I didn't fully appreciate that until you had, until you have this longer conversation, I was intrigued by him. I thought it was I thought some of his answers, his defensive capitalism was quite interesting. Again, later this week, we're going to drop this into the feed, So if you want to listen to this conversation, you can listen to the whole conversation. I actually used it also this week in my new sphere, so those of you that are a member of Newsphere, you can check out Sunday Night with Chuck Codd. That was a big chunk of that interview appeared there as well. But there was one other thing I wanted to bring up because both he and Tim Walls. I saw Tim Wall's conversation. He was in conversation with Jennifer Paul Mary, a longtime Democratic operative, and I asked both. Jen asked Tim Walls a question about sort of what does Trump do well? And I asked a question, what does Trump get right? You know? To Wes Moore, some version of it and they both said the same thing. You know, he acts, it's moved, he moves quickly. I think Tim Wall said, he moves quickly and he goes. You know one thing Trump does well, what Wes Moore said, is that there's always action. Right. He doesn't wait around for a commission. He doesn't have a committee to study something before trying to implement it. A lot of times he tries to implement things even when he doesn't have the authority to do it. But he's always but the voter sees him trying to do something, sees him trying to fulfill a promise that he made, even if it's ends up being kind of an empty fulfillment, he still attempts to do it. It tells me that the next Democratic president is if there's one thing they're going to attempt to emulate from Trump, You're going to see a lot more signing ceremonies, a lot more public signing ceremonies, a lot more executive orders, a lot more attempts at doing rather than studying, and maybe even trying to do too much rather than looking back like I think many in the Obama years do. And wonder was that was the two years that he had full where he had fifty nine to sixty Senate seats. He had sixty for a while, then it was back to fifty nine. A fairly large House majority was that did he was getting healthcare? Was great? Should he have just kept pushing the envelope, tried to get cap and trade, just pushed, pushed, pushed, and because no matter what there was going to be, they were going to lose the mid terms, no matter what. So you might as well have done as much as you can. Because what's the lesson Donald Trump has taken? Do as much as you can while you can, because you're really there or know how long you're going to be there. And I think the fact that both Wesmore and Tim Walls that that's one of the lessons those that's the initial and when they're asked what does Trump do well or what does Trump get right? That both of them and I don't think they talk to each other about this. I don't think either. I don't think More the Wall said at first. I don't think More heard Tim Walls say this. It didn't really go viral or anything like that. So I don't think he's alone. And I've heard this from quite a few other Democrats that that they get frustrated. They think when you know, well, he's he's signing these executors, they're kind of meaningless. Yeah, ninety percent of them are meaningless. But the message to the voters is he's trying that he's making an effort, that he's doing something. Nobody ever wonders whether you know. I think it's why Trump's erratic health isn't hurting him quite yet as much as it hurt Biden, because Biden didn't look like he was doing as much. So then you wondered, why is an age doing as much? So it is it is. It was just intriguing that that was singled out.
Speaker 2: But again I go back.
Speaker 1: My big takeaway from Wes Moore is that he is he is definitely not going to be running as a mainstream liberal Democrat. I think he is going to be running as something a bit different. And those that are thinking this is the second coming of Obama, I would say, I think it's more likely the second coming of Bill Clinton than it is Barack Obama. For what it's worth. All right with that, let me sneak in a break and when we come back, my conversation with former Major League prospect for the Los Angeles Dodgers. David Lesh, who ended up a life as an expert on the Middle East, hanging out with the assads every once in a while in Syria. So with that, let's sneak in the break and when we come back, David Lesh, there's a reason results matter more than promises, just like there's a reason. Morgan and Morgan is America's largest injury law firm. For the last thirty five years, they've recovered twenty five billion dollars for more than half a million clients. It includes cases where insurance companies offered next to nothing, just hoping to get away with paying as little as possible. Morgan and Morgan fought back ended up winning millions. In fact, in Pennsylvania, one client was awarded twenty six million dollars, which was a staggering forty times the amount that the insurance company originally offered. That original offer six hundred and fifty thousand dollars twenty six million, six hundred and fifty thousand dollars. So with more than one thousand lawyers across the country, they know how to deliver for everyday people. If you're injured, you need a lawyer, You need somebody to get your back. Check out for the People dot Com, Slash podcast or Dow Pound Law Pound five to nine Law on your cell phone. And remember all law firms are not the same, So check out Morgan and Morgan. Their fee is free unless they win. Well here at the check podcast. When you get a book proposal to interview somebody, and the book is called Dodgers to Damascus, it's almost as if the publication was trying to identify me as the target's interview e as a Dodger fan, growing up as a political junkie. Now policy junkie a story, and this is a biography. The book itself as a biography of my guest today, David Lesh, who is who began his studies of the Middle East by being a prospect for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Well let him in some ways, that's exactly what it was, the dream of baseball. Like a lot of aspiring baseball players, injuries can sometimes get in the way of a career, and you use another part of your body, your brain, to pursue another passion, which is what David Lesh did. And it's a fascinating story and the book is fascinating but sort of lessons from baseball to help resolve the Middle East crisis or crises plural. So David Lesh joins me now the subject of the book. David, welcome to the podcast. It's nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: Nice to meet you, too supposed to be. I'm glad the book found its way across your desk. That's great. So let me ask this. What's it like?
Speaker 1: I mean, it is this. You didn't write the book, you participated. It is an authorized biography. That's it's almost.
Speaker 2: Like you're you you you.
Speaker 1: I always say it's sort of it's going to be awkward, but it's like you are willing to expose yourself to the to the world. And I think when you're when somebody writes a biography of somebody that's still alive, right, You're You're, that's a lot of you got to You're You're always being asked to give more and more. What did it feel like to read about yourself through a third person?
Speaker 3: It was weird. You definitely are identifying the awkwardness of it for me. If I Catherine Cook, who did such a wonderful job as an accomplished author, who wrote this book and She called me one time. She said, David, I'm having trouble writing the last chapter. And I said why and she said, because you're still alive.
Speaker 1: You know, that's would be my challenge as a writer if I had this assignment. You know, you're you.
Speaker 2: You want to make a.
Speaker 1: Conclusion about somebody's life or legacy, and if they're still alive, how do you word it in a way that doesn't make them either feel like you're doing their obituary or you're taking a shot at them.
Speaker 3: Well, that my wife is over now, you know, I can't do anything else. But I'm still active and I have a lot to look forward to, I hope. But she did a good job. In fact, the last chapter is entitled Stay Tuned, which hopefully is a metaphor for better and bigger things that I can accomplish in my life as we go forward. In all in all ways, but it was a very weird experience, and I was compelled to be introspective in a way that you know, at this age of my life, I didn't, you know, figure i'd be doing. And it forced me to look at a lot of situations throughout my life. It was interesting to see because she interviewed like fifty sixty you know, colleagues and friends, family acquaintances, and it was interesting to see what they thought of me, and which was much better than that I had anticipated, by the way. But so it was in a writing experience. It was emotional at times because I had to revisit some periods and events in my life that you know, had a great deal of impact in positive and negative ways. But it was really I thought, you know, well done by Catherine. A very positive experience overall.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about what what what's drawn you to become, you know, the essentially to do all the scholarship that it takes to become a Middle East expert. And I always I put experts in quotes because an expert of what these days it's almost in some ways you're an anthropologist, right, You're a civilization you're trying to understand and what it really is is, you know, I have my own opinions about how we just don't people don't understand the history of the Middle East before nineteen forty eight, Right, that's my largest frustration in sort of the coverage of stuff. But what drew you to it? Why did you want to make this your area of expertise.
Speaker 3: Well, I struck out of everything else, chuck.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, there you go. There's the dad pun striking out there.
Speaker 3: It is no I think as in most cases, and what I hope I'm doing to some of my students as a professor now is I had a couple of wonderful professors after I, you know, flamed out at baseball with the injury, and I went back to undergrad school and I had two wonderful, wonderful professors. It was just pure luck. I was always extendent International relations. Lou Cantori and Robert Freeman were the two. They were well known in the field, and they just turned me on to a subject that at that time, you know, the seventies early eighties, as you well know, it was not covered very well or objectively. And so I did the more I started studying it, and more importantly, when I started traveling there, I just became enamored with that history, with the people and why things you know, went off the track, so to speak, so much in so many areas in the Middle East. I wanted to understand that and hopefully later on, as I hope I've done in my books to help explain it to an audience.
Speaker 1: So I have a bit of a snarky sort of take on when it comes to sort of our what I think is our ignorance about the Middle East, which is and it comes from being a Jewish American, and I'm not a very religious person, but I get I've always felt I've never felt as if that part of my identity mattered until a whole bunch of other people want to tell me it's supposed to matter, and I get sort of if I get my back up, I joke anytime I hear the word populace, whether it's left wing populism or right wing populism, I know the first thing they're doing is coming for the Jews. But you know, I realized in sort of the in the this was began before October seventh, but certainly post October seventh, the amount of people that didn't understand the Middle East pre nineteen forty eight, and that really the biggest problem we had generationally was And then it realized, well.
Speaker 2: How are we taught World War One and World War Two?
Speaker 1: And I think about World War One and we're I'm guessing you had a similar grade school experience that I did. You're a little bit older than me. But we basically I think, you know, probably that fairly consistent education there, which was we're taught World War One through the prism of World War Two. You know, we screwed Germany too much, made him angry and it started the Second War. We never talked about the other part of World War One, which was the fall of the Ottoman Empire and the fact that in some ways, and a couple as I joke, a couple of drunk Frenchmen and Brits decided to draw straight lines and say you get a country you don't you do?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And all of a sudden it's the United States. It's left to deal with this mess. Again I'm being it's a bit of a snark, but it's it does get at what I think is the root issue of our misunderstanding of a lot of the Middle East issues, which is not understanding how it all broke apart after the Ottoman Empire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. My pet peeve is that Americans in general, Westerners, especially Americans, have had this telescopic view toward the Middle East, and we need a microscopic view. And the telescopic view is quite prejudiced and biased in many different directions.
Speaker 1: Incomplete, absolutely and complete is the best description I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you need that microscopic view. But in today's especially as time has gone on, in today's media, as you will know, and sound bites and social media and so forth pull on information in small bites and small packets, and even foreign leaders, you know, they want that one page brief less than one page brief instead of reading a whole executive summary, even of a particular problem, especially a country like the United States, which has so many issues all over the world and responsibilities and objectives. For a president to focus on one single thing and really understand it is very, very unusual unless they have a background in it. But yeah, I mean the Ottoman Empire and you talk about the two drunk frenchmen that Jordan was always said a joke was that Winston Churchill had a hiccup and drew that part of Jordan that sticks out. But the reality is it was to connect pipelines from the Version Gulf to the Mediterranean Sea. So there was all strategic reasons behind all of this. And one of the things people understand, I think the British and the French obviously allied on the Tient powers in World War One, but they always saw each other as potential enemies.
Speaker 1: After the war, they were competing for reasons in the Middle least, right exactly.
Speaker 3: And so you know, Syke's Pico and all these infamous secret wartime agreements were always you know, from each side aimed at the other for what they hope would be victory and defeating the central Powers, including the Ottoman Empire. But you're right, I mean, the fall of the Ottoman Empire is sort of glossed over, and it's the Eurocentric orientalist view of World War One and what happened with the artificial divisions in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: This is also this week is the anniversary of Panamanian independence, and essentially Panamanian independence came because Teddy Roosevelt cut a deal because he wanted to a strip of land to build the Panama Canal. So they basically created Panamanian independence, right, And it reminds me of sort of how the Europeans dealt with the Middle East. It's the same way the United States has dealt with Latin America essentially for the last hundred years, which is what can you do in the region for us? Not what can we do for you in the region? Is that.
Speaker 2: Simplistic view?
Speaker 1: But is that how you you would sort of describe sort of the Eurocentric relationship with the Middle East over the last hundred years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought you were going to say, not the one hundredth year, but the anniversary of the Balfour Declaration.
Speaker 1: As we were to that company too agreements.
Speaker 3: But yeah, absolutely, I mean, all countries act in their own national interests and if they have leverage in terms of those interests, they're going to exercise that leverage. And what Israel has done, you know, ever since it came into being in nineteen forty eight, And what all countries do, the British, the French, the Americans, the Russians, and without taking into consideration or very much consideration, the wants and needs of the local populations other than that which will feed their own strategic interests. And so's that's very, very true. And it's you know, the countries in the Middle East they lack in many ways of national identity, They lack the rulers, lack legitimacy. A lot of that goes all the way back to the artificiality of the heartland of the Middle East.
Speaker 1: We just created archies right out of these tribal leaders.
Speaker 3: Right monarchies and so called Arab republican regimes that act like monarchies because they want to be. You know, the Mcadafi and Nassir and Lbark and Osad, they all wanted to be. They all wanted to be and were in some cases succeeded by their sons, so they turned out to be monarchies in effect.
Speaker 1: So who did you have? Which aside did you have did you start to strike up her I don't want to say relationship, but sort of a conversation with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was Bisharl Ossad, who came to power in two thousand after his father died. And you know, I'd been going to Syria quite some time, and you know, I like to consider myself a Middle Eat specialists in mediaprent areas, but Syria's is definitely my number one specialty. And I traveled the over thirty thirty five times over the years, and so I knew I had a pretty good network in Syria, particularly in mine academics. And when Osade came to power in two thousand, he brought academics into the government, which some thought, as you know, hope for the future, other things.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, there was a brief period where they thought maybe he'll be a modernizer, maybe he'll be king using right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly, yeah, and or a faisal in Saudi Arabi even you know, back in the seventies and and you know he was young. He liked Western music, he liked Western you know, technological toys. Uh, you know, he was a computer nerd.
Speaker 1: And everyone was educated in London, right educated.
Speaker 3: He received uh you know, he was trying to get his what is essentially his boor certification ophthalmology in London. But people have to remember he only spent you know, two years in London. And even though he liked the Electric Light Orchestra and Phil Collins and the Beatles, you know, his upbringing was molded by, you know, being a child of the Arab Israeli conflict, a child of the super power conflict when Syria was on the side of the Soviet Union in Russia. And mostly most importantly a child of Havazalasat, his father, who had a very particular brand of authoritarianism in Syria. So those are the things that shaped his worldview, and I was very interested in, you know, his transition from enthalmologists to ruler. And so I contacted one of these academics he brought in who happened to be the good friend of mine who was in the Minister of Higher Education, and said, hey, you know, I like to write a book on him. Can I meet with Mischard Alasad? And that's how it all started, and a couple of years later, in two thousand and four, came into being.
Speaker 1: He's done this with a few Americans over the years, like he seems to constantly. You know, there's there's been a handful of Americans that I feel like I've had that he does want to reach out to the Western side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he did, and so timing, Yeah, when you reached out to me in two thousand and four through his ambassador in the United States, he was also a friend of mine. It was not a coincidence at that time because it was right after the US led invasion of Iraq and Syria was slowly turning into a target, not slowly, actually quickly turning into a target, whereas before the invasion. Right after nine to eleven, American officials were saying Syria was helping to save lies with intelligence cooperation on El Kaeda. After two thousand and three, now Syria was costing American lives because they were allowing Jahadas to go through their country and into Iraq, which caused problems for the US and its allies. And so you know, I was, I was very interested in that transition, but he was interested in portraying a more positive image just when Syrian US relations, I think were deteriorating quite a bit.
Speaker 1: So let's fast forward. What do you think of what's happening in Syria right now? And what kind of faith do you have in this new leader? You know, to go from a you know, essentially the insurgency to the establishment, right whether no matter your political situation, no matter your country, insurgents usually have a tough time governing.
Speaker 3: That is the question, isn't it? That is one hundred thousand dollars question. I get asked it all the time. I ask other people who know the president much more intimately than the new president, much more intimately that I do, and I still get different responses because we really don't know. As you just said, going from revolutionary to ruler is a trying process it's not always successful. The revolutionary can't really, you know, rule in a way that is different from the way that he handled things beforehand. Plus, and this is throughout history. When rulers of opposition movements they come to power, those that help them come to power want dividends. They want you know, they want positions in the in the government. They have a certain way of looking at things, especially if they come from.
Speaker 1: Certain superpowers, believe they should get a little little extra something as well all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they want not just a little they want on everything that so Ama Shaddah, the new president. You know, on the one hand, the Israelis, quite frankly, they're skeptical and after October seven, twenty twenty three, and this mcbunker mentality that they have now, they're want to air in the side of caution. And most of the Israelis I've talked to in the military and politically, you know, they see that Ahma Shada's turn toward moderation, pragmatism, wanting inclusive government is more a tactical maneuver than something that represents a true change. That he's going to revert to his Jahada's roots at some point. And yet others I've talked to that know him actually personally. One NGO in London knew him for ten years and they are convinced he is pragmatic. He has changed. You know, he's going to be visiting Washington a week from today and meeting with Trump and they'll probably serial will sign on to the Anti ISIS coalition, which is supposed to be a big deal. But they've been helping in terms of intelligence cooperation with the US and tracking down Okada and isis outbart Is when he was an IDLIB for the last decade. Now, he did that because he wanted to clear out and he helped clear out an any opposition or COMPETI zone.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say, this is a classic case the enemy of my enemy as my house exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: But we've had this relationship with him for a while that has been tactical and opportunistic. I mean all leaders are opportunistic, they want power, they're egotistical. But if it could be molded and it couldn't raise, so to speak, in a way, the population stability than Okay, So the.
Speaker 1: First person that popped in my head when you were talking about this debate, you know, no he's a secret jihadis No, he's a pragmatist. Was air to one? Yeah, right, we've had the same debate about air to one now for almost twenty years.
Speaker 2: No, he can be dealt with.
Speaker 1: No, he's you know, at the end of the day, he's still Muslim brotherhood, right, Like, there's this and yet you know Israel at times doesn't want to deal with him.
Speaker 2: But he's a necessary you.
Speaker 1: Know, he's also the head of a country that's a member of NATO, right, Like, there's this necessity. How would you characterize the new leader of Syria through the prism of air to wore like is he? Is it the same type of unsurreness about where their real biases lie?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think so. I mean, I think we're on the road to a sectarian majoritarian state where his Sunni faction, particularly a much more conservative branch of Sunni is Law, are going to dominate things in Syria.
Speaker 1: If the actually does this mean he's going to get a lot of funding from MBS ANDBZ and oh yeah, oh yeah, as.
Speaker 3: He did as they did during the opposition times and well, you know, this reminds me you were talking about. This reminds me nineteen fifties, when we're talking about history in the Middle East, there was this wonderful political science term that the US applied to these authoritarian leaders. It was called transitional authoritarianism, where you know, we support these guys because they support US interests with military, political aid to police.
Speaker 1: It's why they all hate us. In Latin America, we always supported whoever was on our side, not whether they were smalldy democrats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we thought they would transition, right, that they would transition to democracy. But yeah, oh wow, they live power. They want to stay in power. And this is how we got with the Shavaran as well, you know, all these other guys. So you know, I see this playbook again happening with Syria. We're going to be acting in our strategic interests as well as Israel. We want to keep Iran out, we want to keep the Russians at bay in Syria and hope that it just doesn't implode into another civil war.
Speaker 1: So can Syria become a democracy pledgling democracy all our rock can it?
Speaker 3: Sure? Absolutely, they all can become democracies under certain circumstances. It's like, well, those circumstances ever arise and not just the you know, the larger ones, big ones, but in terms of literacy, literacy rates, in terms of civil society, all of these things that happen, in terms of economic output and economic opportunity, all these things have to happen before we get to the big questions of you know, who can vote and how many people get to vote, so you know it can happen. But you know, ninety percent of the country is in the poverty rate. The country has been dealing with fifteen years of withering international sanctions. It's a population that's highly fragmented and militarized, with independent militias, with drug mafias, with a rapacious warlords roaming around that have more power than the national army. And you have these sectarian fortresses which were created with the breakdown of the state during the Syrians of a war. They you know, you naturally retreat into your sectarian fortress and you look at the other sex as a heathen scum that must be eliminated from the world. And so how do you piece all that together? And it's gonna take a long time. A lot of patients. It may have to go through various iterations of who is in power and hopefully not another all out of civil war.
Speaker 1: So the what is I mean, what country has a shot at trying democracy next after a rock? And why are you surprised that Iraq is still sort of a democracy.
Speaker 3: Sort of being the operative.
Speaker 1: No, I mean it's not not a democracy. You know, it's not Egypt.
Speaker 2: You know what is?
Speaker 3: Are we a democracy? You know? We have electoral college? You know something?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, do the people have an advanced to change the government in this country? And I still say the answers.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah. And so in Iraq. One of the problems, and this may be the future of Syria is you have the Kurdish Autonomous Zone in the north.
Speaker 2: I want to bring up the Kurds in a minute here yet.
Speaker 3: Which is virtually an independent country and actually doing much better than the rest of them.
Speaker 1: I don't know why we don't support a Kurdistan. I mean, I know why we don't because Turkey loses.
Speaker 3: Turkey Walton, Iran walten, Iraq walten.
Speaker 2: Why you know, all those countries don't want it.
Speaker 1: But you know, isn't the isn't the exposure of Iran of being a paper tiger make the idea of a Kurdistan more possible.
Speaker 3: I think think so in the sense that they won't cause as much trouble in a Rock. And that goes for what you were saying earlier, the possibility of Rock becoming more of a democracy. I think Iran's being exposed and being severely weakened has helped or increase the possibility of a Rock becoming a functioning democracy, has increased the possibility of Lebanon becoming a functional democracy, and maybe maybe Syria, you know, down the road. But you know, at this point, you know, I have a low bar of successors.
Speaker 1: How any Middle East expert is it going to ever be too?
Speaker 3: Sadly, I just want stability and you know, benevolent governance in these countries.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: I have a colleague who just came back from Iran, spent about two weeks here doing some reporting, touching base with some sources again, and he came back pretty convinced that the Iatolas are not going to be able to hold power when this one dies. That is that this is the next big crisis in the Middle East is going to be Iranian instability, and that it's sort of the It is, on one hand, something we've been wanting right as a policy outcome, and yet are we really ready for it?
Speaker 3: What say you, Yeah, be careful what you want right, right, and careful what you wish for. I guess that's one of the reasons why you know, NBS in Saudi Arabia wants that security pack so desperate, as well as access to nuclear technology because of that anticipation of instability perhaps in the future in Iran, and what might what might take over in Iran if the iatolas fall? You know, will it becomes Sometimes when the boogeyman falls, it's not necessarily what we want comes into power, something even perhaps worse.
Speaker 2: Well, we saw that in Egypt.
Speaker 3: We saw that in Egypt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, suddenly you're like, well, wait a minute, we'd like that military dictatorship back please.
Speaker 3: Yeah, democracy is great as long as they left the person we like, right, And but Iran I agree with that. I agree with your colleagues observation. I think Iran is on the precipice.
Speaker 1: You know that this was a really it's really the unpopularity of the of the aetolas are huge, the distrust and then the fact that they so easily folded right, there was just there's no longer I mean, yes, they're still brutalizing opposition, domestic opposition. They're still trying to be an authoritarian state. But they've certainly there's not a lot of fear anymore of the Iotolis.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And it's not so they folded. It's not so much that they were beaten, they were obliterated.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, despite all of this, you know, supposed deterrence between Israel and Iran, and then Israel goes and takes out his Belah in the most and most unique way, and then a sad falls and the only viable and then Hamas of course is terribly weakened. The only viable you know, proxy militia is the Huthis now and Yemen. But Iran is weakened their image. I think even more importantly, their image has just gone down the tubes with regional powers. Uh. And I think we can see a real clignment of this. But what will happen in Iran? Iran has always been reviewed as the prize, along as already being the Gulf, So there are gonna be a lot of eyes the prize.
Speaker 1: I mean, I look at it as if Iran ever decides to be a Western democracy, watch out. They're going to be an economic powerhouse.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, And I mean they've got the largest natural gas reserves in the world, large oil reserves, and they have the minerals if they can just get their act together. Of course, we could say it about Venezuela. We could say it about you know, you didn't say it about Syria, you know. I mean Syrians for years have always told me we'd be much better allies than the Israelis, would you know we would. We wouldn't undercut you as much as the Israelis have done, and I'm sure the Iranians would would try to do it after all. I mean it's a you know, far COO's Arabic script is an Indo European language, you know, and they have this past that aligns with the West in some ways.
Speaker 1: So what do you make of the of this, of this idea that the Middle East is essentially now the rules are being written by the Israelis and the Gulf States.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's a lot to that. I think Israel is at its at its apex of power in the region.
Speaker 1: Well it's funny apex of military power, but at a nator in influence, right.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I wouldn't. I wouldn't say that because military power speaks a great deal on that part of the world. Yeah, and they are isolated international, but how often does diplomatic isolation last when you need them, you know, when they when they are on your strategic side, and that goes out, that was out the window. So I don't I don't think the Israelis ever really worry about that too much. They're going to do what they want to do. They they're going to do what they feel is in their strategic objectives, and and they have done that. I mean, look at this, Chuck, I mean that they bomb Cutter.
Speaker 1: I think it's remarkable. You know, look, it's really frustrating to me because you know, look, if they had the way they managed the way they did the war in Gaza versus the way they did Hesbela, it's like night and day. Right, it was the you know, you could tell, as I said, bb let IDF do its thing with Iran and with with Hesbelah. They micro managed all things Gaza through the lens of domestic politics, which is why that's turned into an utter nightmare. Right.
Speaker 3: No, I agree, I mean they strategically took out his blow in a very phase step way, very strategic way, brilliant way in the same.
Speaker 1: Thing the way that we had come to be exactly that many admire the Israelis about like they did with Munich. They treated Hesbelah like they did the Munich terrorists, you.
Speaker 3: Knoweah, exactly, and they use the bulldozer in Ghaza, and.
Speaker 1: Which is why they have this weird moment where they have maximized military power but problems with you know, but they're pretty isolated in the in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah again, they bomb Cutter, and no Arab countries that are at peace with Israel break relations with it, you know, not even Cuting.
Speaker 2: You're right, it's astonishing. It was so brazenishing moment.
Speaker 3: It's an amazing moment. And and talks about how those shifts have occurred in the region UH and UH and the and the importance of the Gulf state's intelligence cooperation, economic cooperation that they've had with th REELL for for years prior to you know, some of them establishing relations. So this is this is absolutely a sea change for me. And I see Syria coming on board if this current uh UH government stays in power and follows along the line they're doing at least signing a security arrangement with Israel and then once society has crossed the line, which they were they were gonna do probably if October seventh didn't happen, which is one of the reasons, as you know, the Hamas did. October seventh was.
Speaker 1: No, it was the you know, it's interesting, it was you know the way Washington works, you know, in the sort of everything is a deal. You know, the Saudis were going to give Biden this, Yeah, this was going to be Biden's like they weren't going to hold you know, the Trump people were pressuring them to to basically wait until Trump was there to add Saudi to the Abraham Accords, and they were.
Speaker 2: Gonna because the Saudi's weren't. They're not stupid.
Speaker 1: They want to play bipartisan American politics here. They want to everybody because they frankly knew, unlike Bebe, the Saudis knew they had a problem in America's left and that they were better off trying to appease the American left rather than fight it. BB wants to fight it rather than appease. But I'll but we could set that aside. And October seventh, obviously made that impossible. But where talk to my friends that are going to be listening to this and say, I can't stomach MBS. Why should we help him? What's say, give me the give me the academic view of why we've Why would they're a necessary partner?
Speaker 3: Oh, he's the only game in town right now for a very important strategic country. And and uh, you know, I don't at all like some of the things he's on, especially to you know, Koshoji and uh In in assassinating and dismembering him, some of these things. But uh, you know, I'm all more of a realistic understand that. You know, tomorrow is a different day, and the Saudis an NBS may be very much needed. You know now that now that you know Iraan is perhaps weaken We always thought of them at the Saudis as a counterway to Iran, But we have to see what's going to happen with Iran. It'll be interesting in the future. This will be interesting if ten fifteen years from now, Iran does get rid of the Ietolas, does stabilize, does become this potential economic power is you know, much like Germany in mainland Europe. You know, what will happen with the Saudis relationship and so forth? Can the two mutually coexist with US interests?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: You could see three economic powers in the Middle East Israel, a democratic Iran, and this sort of religious monarchy in the Gulf, right with the Saudis, and they are they going to be alliance? Are they going to be competitors? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, exactly, and that will be interesting to see and so many, so much more history will occur before.
Speaker 1: We can answer that question. So let's move backwards about your baseball career and how you you.
Speaker 2: Know, tell me how you fused it? You know, what is it? What are the lessons? You know?
Speaker 1: I'm a huge advocate of sports in general, youth sports. It teaches human interaction, it teaches there's so many lessons from team sports. In particular. I think football is ideally the most incredible team sport to deliver because eleven people have to do their job for success. In baseball, everybody has to do their job. There's a little bit of individual talent, right, you know that you can, but ultimately you don't win with that. You could be the greatest player in the world, Tad Williams, but if you don't have enough good baseball players around you, You're not going to win a World Series. So you know how when somebody says the lessons of baseball helped me become a better give me better perspective about the Middle East? You answer this question half.
Speaker 3: Because I failed so many times in baseball. I mean, as you and.
Speaker 2: Mist in the Middle East is a lot of failure, A lot of failure.
Speaker 3: I mean, failure is at the core of sports. I mean, you know, what do you have to hit to reach the Hall of Fame in Major League Baseball?
Speaker 1: You only have to fail seven out of ten times.
Speaker 3: Exactly, And so you have to keep coming back as a pitcher. Of course, I was a hitter as well early on, but in professional baseball was a pitcher. And you know, one inning you give up a home run. The next inning, you know you have a chance to rectify the situation or the next game, and so you constantly fail. And I played basketball and tennis and all in football when I was young, and you were constantly tested, and you developed this resiliency which Sanjay Gupta I read the other day says resiliency is like strength training for the brain, you know, and it helps you get through personal traumas it helps you get through failures later in life, and as I've become a conflict resolution person involved in high level negotiations and air BISAREELI stuff, steering, civil war. You fail all the time, I mean, but you have to learn from it, and you have to have that resiliency, that persistence, perseverance to get through it and try again, and try again and try again. Now you don't want to make you know, Einstein's theory of insanity correct, but you you, you know, learn from it and it just and sometimes things just out of out of your control, ruins everything and brings you back to ground zero. And that's what happens in sports as well. And you just have to have that resiliency. And so, you know, one of my mantras is keep trying, don't eliminate yourself, and keep trying. And that I had to think. That's what I got from baseball and sports in general.
Speaker 1: When you you know, do you look back on your injury and think, boy, if it happened today, you know, the technology would have given me another chance.
Speaker 3: Jock, you be interviewing the lead comment of the World Series right now, the lead analyst after a twenty year, brilliant Hall of Fame career at the injury.
Speaker 1: Now that's the what if in your head?
Speaker 2: How do you not think about that?
Speaker 1: What if?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I'm all the technological advancements. I mean, you know, Sandy Kofax's career ends. You know, show has already had two.
Speaker 2: Tommy Jones, Yeah, I think, right, you know.
Speaker 1: It's uh, it's remarkable, right, Like Sandy Kofex might have had another five great years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, I had a rotator cuff injury and rotator cuff surgery by Frank Joe, but the Dodgers didn't really perfect itself for another five ten years. Yes, yeah, I mean I really don't think of that because I've had a fulfilling, you know, career in many ways more fulfilling, and I have a wonderful wife and family and so forth, so you know, all those If I become a major league player, that wouldn't have happened and wouldn't have met these one of the people. But I don't really think of that. But but you know, sometimes, you know, I think I would have made a lot more money. That's rich there being a major league pitcher. But drafting pictures is the worst investment in all of sports. That's why you got a draft about ten or fifteen of them. Hopefully one gets through because of all the injuries, because everything you do physiologically pitcher is wrong against normal you know, physiology.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny you say that I got you know. I think I told you off camera.
Speaker 1: I was The Dodgers were the team of my youth, so I used to just I know a lot of the history of the Dodgers in general, and any any individual player that sort of had made a name for themselves. I always have some curiosity about and the relief pitcher Mike Marshall, who I believes the first ever relief pitcher to win this ion. He spent the last twenty years of his like obsessed with changing the motion of pictures for the very thing you just said said, like the way that we've taught pitching is actually asked the arm to do something it shouldn't be doing, and that if you change the motion, you could actually limit injuries. And I believe his method did produce one major leaguer who got into the majors. But given when you came up, it was sort of tail end of Marshall's career there.
Speaker 2: Did you ever follow that.
Speaker 1: That whole like, oh the case he had?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's funny. I was. I was just thinking about this yesterday when I was talking to someone. If I had to change something with my motion I was in college and then drafted in the pros, it would be throwing more side arm. I was a straight overhand pitcher, and the more straight overhand you throw, the more pressure.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, it's right on your shoulder. Like this kid at the Blue Jays. Now, I just heard, right, this kid with the Blue Jays, You savage.
Speaker 2: Don't you watch him throw and think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, buddy, in about two years, you're going to have soldiers. Suit.
Speaker 3: It's going to happen, and they're all throwing so hard and putting so much stress on their extra ligaments in their forearm that they're all getting Tommy John surgery. I mean, as you said, Otani had two, it's like everyone has one. They're having them now in high school and college. It's like, you know, you know something that has to happen before, well, isn't it you? Now?
Speaker 1: Rarely will an MLB team draft a high school pitcher anymore? Right? They almost want the college level get your Tommy John out. Get LSU to pay for the Tommy John, right, Get cal State Fullerton to pay the Tommy John, you know that sort of thing, and then we'll.
Speaker 3: Off, you know, and come back for twenty three or you know, something like that. And it's so much stress on the body in the arm. But throwing sidearm, if I had to go back, I do that because I did throw a sidearm every now and then just to cross up the hitter. I crossed up my catcher as well. But yeah, it was effective, and I threw actually even harder. I mean I had a low nineties, high eighties fastball, you know, peaked at ninety five, which in those days actually meant something. Can you believe change ups today are ninety miles hour change The whole goal.
Speaker 2: Of a change up is what it has to be ten.
Speaker 3: Miles less than your fast ball, exactly right.
Speaker 2: So if you're throwing a hundred, then yeah, right.
Speaker 3: That's just unfathomable to me. And sliders at ninety miles an hours, I don't know how these hitters are doing it, how they can hit these things, But.
Speaker 1: I know there's this point where you wonder, when does the ligament just when does the body we have reached the peak performance of the body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think, you know, I think there's going to be a trend. This is getting so it's a pandemic of Tommy John surgery. I think there's going to be a trend to go back to the great Maddis Maddox type of pitching, you know, high eighties, maybe low nineties at best, movement on the ball, placement, pitch longer. I mean, you know, we were talking off camera and Jim Palmer and right Bob Gison's guy. They threw three hundred innings year after year, twenty complete games. So I.
Speaker 2: Love Fernando.
Speaker 1: Fernando was you know, I was ten when he came up right like that was peak, you know, and he was so much fun that World Series in eighty one and following his career and you look at his year stats and it was always like I always thought he was. I always thought he belonged to the Hall of Fame before everything else he did. And when you look at his eight year sort of his eight year peak, Nope, he always threw three hundred innings.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The joke was Tommy, you know, ruined his career by leaving him into always way too long, and that he that he basically his eight years was the equivalent of what would be a seventeen year career today per number of innings you pitch.
Speaker 3: Exactly, exactly. Remember the Braves, you know when they had Smolds and Maddocks and glad Lavin. Yeah, they all pitched, you know, every four days. They pitched long, you know, deep into the game. And analytics have, in my mind, screw things up with that regard. And you know, you can't face a batter more than two times or the third time they're going to catch on to you. But this is what pitching is all about, if you have enough pitches and and uh yeah, Maddox.
Speaker 1: I love those stories of Maddox, you know, and hear stories and he says, yeah, I let this guy see this pitch because I know I'm facing him in the playoffs and he's gonna think I'm gonna throw it again, and I'm never going to do Like Maddox was always.
Speaker 2: Game planning on that bat.
Speaker 1: The next at bat when he was facing the current batter, I'm gonna make him pop this one up, And sure enough he could do that. Like that's just that's pitching. That's that's strac.
Speaker 3: Actually thinking, actually thinking on the mound, you know. And and maybe that's why I'm into academia, Chuck. They always thought think.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine do they having an earpiece, oh where somebody's telling you what pitch to throat?
Speaker 3: That would be insulting to me. You know, I call the game. I think is it shirt ser you mentioned him Searcher actually shirts his own game. Don't ever get me one of these things, you know.
Speaker 2: And now Max is the left.
Speaker 1: Max, it feels like we're about to see the end of the last era of sort of the twentieth century style of pitching. We're moving to this, right. Susier was always a throwback, you know. He never wanted to go less than seven, right, He always wanted to keep going. Your Verlanders, your Sugiers, your Kershaws, and here they are. They're all basically probably I kind of think Max, I want him to retire. Now he gets to say he pitched the last gave me pitch was a series. But it's hard to walk away, right, Like, how often did you wish you had one more year?
Speaker 3: I wish I wish I had I wish I had one year in the majors. I mean, as you know, I flamed out the miners. I wish I would have stayed healthy enough to God, because I went up against these guys in spring training and batting practice.
Speaker 2: And you knew you had your stuff. It was just the injury that never gave me the shot I help, So, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Mean there's lots of ifs and what ifs, and sure I think I had the basic stuff. That's why I was drafting number one, I think, and by the Dodgers, so I like to think, I you know, if not, they.
Speaker 1: Were always a little bit better at identifying young pictures. I mean that was their thing. That's what they did.
Speaker 3: That's what they did. But you still got to get a bunch of them because you just never know when the body's going to give out, and it will give out unless you're Clemens or Nolan Ryan has to be a.
Speaker 1: Bionical I read, is it Nolan Ryan that doesn't have the the the tendon that would snap or something like? He was basically literally a gift from.
Speaker 2: God type of I know, I know, elbow it's the key.
Speaker 3: You know, if you want your kid to become a pitcher, take out, take out the flexor tendon or something like that.
Speaker 1: Like, don't even have it. It turns out it's an impediment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, I mean, but look at his legs, you know, uh Nolan Ryan and Tom c they're huge, and he got a lot of his power. It got low and pushed off and that's what a lot of pictures it.
Speaker 1: Certainly it looks like he's built that way. Yeah, exactly, He's built bottom up. And if you told me, if I told you, he never It's interesting, by the way, a guy like Max Scherzer's never had a Tommy John and neither's Kershaw. Right, what does it tell you if you've never had one these days.
Speaker 3: That if you pitch the right way, if you don't worry about throwing, use your legs now, use your legs, use your body. And there's all sorts of mechanics now to align your body. There's so much more technology. Perhaps when I was playing, if they had that technology, they would have aligned my body my motion more. I put less stress on the elbow shoulder for me. So you know they can do these things. But man, if you're throwing one hundred miles an hour, your arm is going to give out. You just cannot take that type of pressure. And the thing is, you know, hitters are they catch up, they're hitting these balls. And I've leuis, how many teams your favorite teams? And a guy Jamie Moyer, you know, who's forty he pitched forever eighty two miles an hour, eighty five miles an hour, and he pitches a shout out because hitters aren't used to that type of thing. You know, they're not used to eighty eighty with with motion and with the motion in the ball and with targeting, you know, target to pitching. So it's I think there there's room for both. And I think I agree with you. I think we're gonna trend sort of in a in another direction. I hope, I hope.
Speaker 1: Well, it was exciting to see Amamoto throw a complete game. You're like, hey, that used to be a big that used to not be as big of a deal. A complete game of the World Series.
Speaker 3: It must be a different Yamamoto, you know at some point. But and then he comes back the day after and throws you know, three innings, you know, after he throws a I mean, it's unbelievable, and uh, you know, I hope his arm is Okay, uh, you know, I'm sure, having invested gazillion dollars in him, they're not going to ruin him.
Speaker 1: But I'm sorry as a as a Natch fan who watched the team make the decision not to use their young star pitcher in a run to the playoffs, and then they decided to over use them in their eventual run to the World Series. They you know, the price of the world. I mean, Steven Strasburg never recover from that overuse.
Speaker 3: That's true, That's true.
Speaker 1: I mean it ended his career. Now, the question is, as a franchise, if the ultimate prize is winning the World Championship? Is it worth it?
Speaker 3: Would you take that? Is that? Is that? Is that? Well?
Speaker 2: They did? That's the disc Basically, the Nats made that worth it.
Speaker 3: As a Gnats fan, are you is that worth it?
Speaker 1: It's a great question I'm glad to have had. I I tell this to my son because he's so depressed about the state of the Nats and it's an ownership group that doesn't look like they want to keep up with the Joneses or the Guggenheims, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Right, right, correct, But.
Speaker 1: I tell him, you know what's what makes fandom fantastic because you experience a low for so long that when you get the taste of the high, it's so much it tastes so much better.
Speaker 3: Well, you're talking to as I said before, I grew up in Baltimore, a lifelong Orioles fan. We haven't won the World Series since eighty three. If we had an opportunity, if we were in the World Series this year, throw cost win, throw right the top pitchers every every inning. I don't care. You know everything you know, and I'm a pitcher. I realized what could happen with overuse?
Speaker 1: You know? So let me ask the Otani question to you, because I'm sure you get a version of it, But let me ask it this way. Why is this so unusual? I why why haven't more pitchers been more successful hitters in the past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think I think you're going to see this. And one of the things that most people don't realize is that major league pitchers, almost all of them, I would say, were really great hitters.
Speaker 1: In little They were probably the best team in their little league. Best. They played every If they weren't pitching, they were playing shortstop.
Speaker 3: Right on my high school team, I was the best hitter. I was the best pitcher in college. It happens. But in college you start getting weeded out and you get into specialization. I remember, even when I was playing in the minor leagues, only the Cincinnati Reds, even in the minor low one near leagues, allow pitchers to hit. But otherwise you're you know, DH four, and you never practice, you never take hitting practice. And so just like anything, you do skill and so the specialization of it. But I did when a little league game, I did pitch a complete game, six inning shutout and hit a home run in the game. So and it was a legitimate home run, not a little league Yeah, you get a show exactly, but I do.
Speaker 1: It was always one of those I never understood why more pitchers couldn't take batting practice on their off days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know it. I don't know. Maybe the Union got together and this is this is conspiracy theory talk, and they said they want these older guys who can want jobs.
Speaker 2: A conspiracy theory. No, no, no, no. The argument the DH is more jobs.
Speaker 3: He Aaron, Tommy Davis, you know these these older guys that can't play in the field, and and they want more offense. I mean, that's the that's the key. You know, they want more runs, they want more offense. It was a business decision. And all the National League, of course is designated hit her and I missed the strategy of the picture hitting and all of that sort of thing. And but and there were some good there were some good pictures some you know who who hit as well. So I miss So.
Speaker 1: Could you know there's there's a team Israel in the World Baseball Classic, but baseball's never really taken in the Middle East. There is some cricket. Could you ever imagine being able to get more people interested in baseball in the Middle East?
Speaker 3: I think I'd like to get more people interested in baseball in the United States.
Speaker 1: With first, well, I.
Speaker 2: Know my son is My son tells me this all the time. He goes.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm the only one of my friends that actually follows baseball like they're Nats fans, but they weren't really Like he's now at school in Dallas, and the first thing he did was he wanted to go check out a Rangers game. He'd never been. And he had the hardest time convincing somebody to go with them to a baseball.
Speaker 3: Game because it's it's long, it's you know, to some that it's boring. There's not as much action. There's a lot more lot into it. I mean, you know, I take the George Will you know view toward yeah, base I think about every pitch where the fielders are, and so it's it's a lot of fun in my mind. But we're baseball aholics, you know. But for this generation and the recent generations, uh, you know, they want more action, more scoring, which is why baseball, you know, went to the home run and steroids and looked the other way and all this stuff to get more runs on the board. But we'll take in the Middle East, I don't know. I mean, the Saudi's play it. But that's a bunch of a Ramco kids, you know that that's all right.
Speaker 1: It is cricket close enough that you could use it as a gateway or not.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think it's a very different game. And people look at the history of baseball and they think it comes from cricket. It really doesn't. It comes from rounders, which is much more like baseball. But I don't think I can't even understand cricket, and cricketers can't understand baseball either.
Speaker 2: But I've tried to.
Speaker 1: I've like, you know, uh, you know, sometimes you're just traveling overseas and you're stuck a hotel and there's nothing to watch other than either a rugby match or a cricket match. So you know, I would sit there and try to figure it out, and you're just like, well, you know, you know.
Speaker 3: While you make an interesting point, show maybe in the Middle East and elsewhere, and maybe baseball has more of a chance because their favorite sports, you know, soccer or football and cricket. You know, they're they're long soccer and they're low scoring.
Speaker 1: So maybe, right, and it is about strategy that you know, in some ways the mentality of sports, especially in sort of Southeast Asia with cricket and soccer, and at least with cricket and soccer. I mean you're right, I mean, maybe we're stumbling onto something and that they enjoy the patience of the success. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We just we just need baseball. I mean obviously it's it's very popular in Latin America and in East Asia. We just need baseball to enter into Europe and the and the Middle East and do what the NFL I think has been doing. You know, we of course we hold games in Mexico and and uh and have exhibitions and Stasi and so forth, or actually had some regular season games in Japan this this past year. So you know, I think one of the things, one of the things which changes everyone's perception in the particular region world out of sport, United States, if someone from that region becomes a star and it becomes a guiding light like a show Atani or you know earlier Japanese players and Korean players. We just need some some Middle East.
Speaker 1: You know, we almost had it in you Darvish, Yeah, Japanese, Iranian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly exactly. So you know, if we get one of those these these you know, lightning rods that can that can act as a uh, you know, a form of attraction to your day, and and then you start to get youth baseball and stuff like that. May take a generation, but that's what it'll take.
Speaker 1: Let me get let me get you out of here. On the issue of Islamophobia, okay, because as somebody who spent so much time in in Middle East, in the Arab world in general, and obviously there's you know, not all Arabs are Muslim, and not all Muslims or Arabs and so forth. But Islam a phobia is one of those phobias that is like anti Semitism.
Speaker 2: It has it's on the left and the right. It can be a type of unifier.
Speaker 1: That's not a healthy thing for a democracy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Just tell me about your experience of sort of learning the culture that sort of got rid of or didn't allow a phobia to take to take in you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's because of travel. And this is why I'm such a big advocate of travel abroad in college. Just to go places and not to an English language place, you know, were unit a language. Go someplace that makes you feel uncomfortable, Go someplace where you don't know the culture or learn the language, immerse yourself, and that's when you really start to understand that these people, even though they follow in all the religion and have many different habits and customs, they're like you in many different ways. They want many of the same things. And I bring students and I brought groups over to the Middle East, and that's what they find out when they really interact with people and not just stay in the five star resort hotel. They go around to the rural areas, They need people. They spend you know, an evening or even overnight at some house and they learn about their lives and that is the best way to get rid of these phobias and all of this misinformation that exists regarding Islam.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, there's we're seeing more Muslim Americans run for office over the next ten years, and you're going to see it. It is the tension that shows up in these communities, and it ends up being it could be New York City, it could be Minneapolis, it could be La like it's you do in it. It's definitely a tougher barrier to break than I think I fully appreciate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Jimmy Carter said something that was very interesting when a bot Warack Obama became president and a lot of this latent racism came out because he was the first African American president, and Jimmy Carter said, you know, this is a good thing. People were afraid. He said, no, this is a good We needed to come out and only then can we address it. So maybe all of these things, more Muslims becoming involved in the community. Yes, it's causing some distress intentions and people are afraid of this, that, and the other thing in sharia law coming in, which is ridiculous. Maybe all of this has to happen. We need to get through this and have these discussions and hopefully through education and reasonable people making reasonable decisions that we can get past it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember Collin Powell when he endorsed Obama the first time, and he said, but his answer to that is lucky he's not Muslim, But so what if he was?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 1: He tried.
Speaker 2: It was like, why it doesn't if he was, it wouldn't matter, right, this is it.
Speaker 3: And there are many Muslims that are as Muslim as I am Roman Catholic, which is not very much anymore, right, called it's.
Speaker 2: More of a how you. It was more about your upbringing, that your prep you now, how you live.
Speaker 3: What type of person you are, these type of values and and you know, it just takes understanding, it takes listening, it takes empathy, and we're in short supply of all these things these days. But hopefully that'll change.
Speaker 2: So you still hang your hat in San Antonio.
Speaker 3: I do, I do, and probably we'll it'll be on my grave, my grave site as well, because I love it here it's a you know, big city with a small town atmosphere.
Speaker 2: I have to say San Antonio, this San Antonio.
Speaker 1: Austin megaopolis that's developing, right, I mean, you know, it feels like it's feels very similar to d C Baltimore or Dallas Fort Worth.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, it's coming together, much more dominated by Austin in the last decade than.
Speaker 2: But I feel like, you know, maybe Wemby will change things, right.
Speaker 3: I think so hopefully the team stays here long enough.
Speaker 1: Well, I know, I mean, you know, the Austin desperately wants a basketball team. I think they have a better shot at getting a baseball team. Like I love the idea of San Antonio getting having football and basketball and let Austin have the baseball.
Speaker 3: I would have loved San Antonio instead of building their recent basketball arena where it is in the East Side, to build it like about not maybe not halfway, but a little bit more closer on I thirty five North.
Speaker 2: Well, is it that halfway between Austin and San Antonio becoming its own city?
Speaker 3: Yeah, San Marcos and le bron Fels. It's it's as you said, it's a megalopolis, and that would have drawn from both cities, and therefore, you know each team. I don't even care if they call it the San Antonio Austin Spurs or something. Just right, keep them here, draw from both cities, and that would have been great. But now we have a proposition going out to being elected on tomorrow that will decide whether or not the Spurs build a downtown arena. And if it doesn't pass, who knows, they may become the Austin Yeah.
Speaker 1: Boy, the timing of that with Wemby on the rise, my guess is that probably helps it a couple of points I would. I mean, cities usually reject this stuff though they don't like taxpayer dotas.
Speaker 3: We don't like it's, especially San Antonio. But you know there's in town.
Speaker 2: I'm going to put this on my list of races to watch.
Speaker 3: Prop on the proposition A and B.
Speaker 1: They're both key fantastic.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dave, this was great. I appreciate it getting.
Speaker 3: To know you well. I really enjoyed it too, Chuck, thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, people should check out the book Dodgers to Damascus. Uh.
Speaker 2: It's more of a Middle East book than it is a baseball book.
Speaker 3: It is it is I spent a few years in baseball and the rest of my life in Middle East. So yeah, proportionally appropriate.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's a it's a reminder that that sports is part of your education. It's you can't have a complete life in some ways, a complete education without without sports.
Speaker 3: About sports, I'm having other life experiences. You know, there's competition and discomfort and failure.
Speaker 1: So no, it's terrific. Lesson. Congratulations And like I said, I I appreciate you exposing yourself because that's what that is when you let somebody else write about you while you're still alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks, thanks, Jock. I'm a rep in the end.
Speaker 2: But anyway, David, great to know you.
Speaker 3: Okay, take care of them about well.
Speaker 1: I hope you enjoyed that conversation. I think understanding the modern Middle East is going to be almost an every day exercise. To be frank, it's let's just say, nothing feels permanent still, and I don't think anything will feel permanent for some time. But let's go into the podcast time machine. So it's the week of November seventeenth through the twenty third, and you know what I like to do, go back in history and we're just looking at this these seven days, and believe it or not, this is quite I stumbled onto what is conspiracy theory Week? In American history? Three moments in particular have anniversaries this week. The Jonestown massacre, the kool Aid drinking November.
Speaker 2: Eighteenth, nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 1: There's, of course, the jfk assassination November twenty second, nineteen sixty three, and the eighteen and a half minute gap in the Nixon tapes was revealed on November twenty first, nineteen seventy three, three events that on their own would be enough to bend the country's imagination, but together, stacked on the same week of the calendar, I think they tell us something a bit more profound about why Americans believe conspiracies and why those beliefs are so durable. And by the way, this is also the same energy right now fueling our current national fixation on the Epstein files, where the fantastical spreads faster than any known fact. But we only have one type of person to blame, the elected American elected official, right, So let's get to the time machine. So we're going to start with Jonestown. That's when conspiracy thinking became catastrophic. It's November. We're going to go back to November eighteenth, nineteen seventy eight in Jonestown. Now, a lot of people think of Jonestown as a cult tragedy, and it is, but it's also the story of how a closed information system can destroy a human judgment. Jim Jones, the cult leader, didn't just isolate his followers physically. He isolated them psychologically, emotionally, and informationally. He convinced them that outsiders were coming to kill them. He convinced them that only he understood the truth. He convinced them that everyone else, from the media to the US government was lying. Perhaps he alone could fix it. But I digress. But here's the terrifying part. The more erratic Jones became, the more his followers trusted him. Because once you buy into total this sort of total narrative, once you build your identity around a conspiratorial worldview, facts are no longer persued. Facts become evidence of the conspiracy against you. Jonestown is not a government conspiracy. It's the consequence of conspiratorial thinking, and it becomes a template, decades before social media for how a charismatic figure can sever followers from reality and create a world where the fantastical is accepted without question. It's why QAnon didn't surprise psychologists. It's why people fall for online calls. Jonestown is a modern cautionary tale of what happens when people choose narrative over truth. My god, imagine how big jonestown might have gotten with social media. All right, let's to the second, the second big conspiratorial event in our timeline this week, the conspiracy the public never accepted fourteen years earlier, the same week, November twenty second, nineteen sixty three, John is assassinated in Dallas. If Jonestown shows what happens when people buy into a false conspiracy, the JFK assassination shows what happens when the official story fails to convince the public. The Warren Report was assembled very quickly. The evidence was confusing. The single bullet theory sounded well, pretty implausible to the average American, and the result was a permanent fracture in public trust. In fact, I always go back. I mean, if you look at the original sin of when did you know? If you look at baby boomers today, right, they grew up with this, This was their coming of age. Moment was government they believed lying to them about what happened to their president, right, And then just about every subsequent generation would have a little bit more of the government lion to them, and we'd chip away, chip away, chip away. But this was a big one because the generation before the Baby Boomers trusted their government. But for millions of Americans, JFK's death marks the moment when they stopped believing the government reflexively and started believing the government selectively, not because they wanted a conspiracy, but because the government couldn't explain the tragedy in a way that felt complete, transparent, or sufficiently humble. This is where CIA theory is, mafia theories, castro theories, LBJ theories, deep state theories. They all began here. But the more important important point is this after JFK, Americans no longer needed evidence for conspiracy.
Speaker 2: They only needed doubt.
Speaker 1: JFK didn't create the conspiracy culture, but it created the psychological conditions for the next event that did. And that brings us to a year that still feels like a wound. It's nineteen seventy three, the Nixon tape gap. The conspiracy that was well was a conspiracy.
Speaker 2: It was true.
Speaker 1: Two weeks before Thanksgiving, No First, nineteen seventy three, America learns that there is an eighteen and a half minute gap in one of Nixon's Oval office tapes, the very tape that might have shown what he knew about Watergate. This is the moment that permanently rewires the American brain. After years of being told trust us, after years of dismissing accusations as partisan, and after years of insisting that critics of Nixon were hysterical, here it was a missing tape, not metaphorically literally an erased tape, Thank you, Rosemary Woods. And the White House explanation was so implausible secretaries accidentally leaning on pedals fingers slipping, that it practically invited conspiracy. The lesson for the American public was brutal and simple. Sometimes the conspiracy theory is true, and sometimes the cover up is even dumber than the crime. And once that happens, once government credibility is broken in this specific way, you don't get it back through press releases, you don't get it back through official investigation, and you don't even get it back through prosecutions. And of course we never did prosecute you know, I think when I first started my time cast time machine, one of the I started with the pardon, with Ford's pardon and a mistake. I think now we see that was clearly I don't think it's it's even a close call anymore, that that was clearly a mistake, because we never did get justice for what was done. But Watergate taught Americans that powerful people sometimes lie, and institutions sometimes protect those lies. And once you know that, you never unknow it. And then it just sort of sits there, and it chips away and chips away, and we wonder why we have a government we don't trust today.
Speaker 2: So let's look at sort of the.
Speaker 1: Modern parallel, right the Epstein files, fast forward to the present, and conspiracy is the default. It's not the exception. Look at this Epstein moment. We're all living through. People assume elites lie, people assume institutions are hiding things. People assume the truth is always worse, and people assume if there is a conspiracy, it's probably bigger and darker than anything the government admits. Now, I'm an Ockham's razor person. I think if there was something even darker, deeper, we there'd at least be a leak about it somewhere, but we haven't gotten that.
Speaker 2: But still.
Speaker 1: Conspiracies persist. But it's because of Johnstown, because of JFK, because of Nixon, because of IRAQ WMDs, because of the NSA surveillance revelations, because of January six. Americans now process every new event through a lens shaped by generations of government betrayal, government confusion, and partial truths at best. So just look at what we did with Epstein.
Speaker 2: Right, the conspiracy theory arrived.
Speaker 1: First, the facts are We still don't have all the facts, do we They're arriving later. The public decides what it believes before the evidence even begins to land. It's not that people want to believe in sane things. It's that the factual world is moving slower than the fantastical one. We have more information than ever, but we have less trust than ever, and in that environment, speculation fills every gap instantly. And then you look look at our ridiculous algorithms that sort of reward those that have a new theory rather than those that have factual information. Right, if I were to say, right now, boy, it's got to be that Gallaine Maxwell knows the origin story of Malania Trump and how Malania and Donald met boy the algorithms would go crazy, and this video could go viral because I'd say it, because I'd say that I have no evidence of this. Okay, I certainly am trying to figure out why the president is hiding so much of this and why he seems to be so scared of Gallaine Maxwell. So your mind wanders, and unfortunately, because of how poor government's been about being transparent about things including the jfk assassination being frankly exhibit A, how do you tell an American not to go down that conspiratorial rabbit hole? This is where we are. So what do we take away from this in this week in American history? Here's the common threat. We are conspiracy prone, not because we're gullible, but because our institutions have repeatedly given us enough reason, just enough reason to suspect that we're not being told the full story. When leaders lie, even tiny lies, they leave behind just enough ambiguity for our collective imagination to go to work. And when institutions are slow, opaque, or even arrogant, doubt becomes a form of self defense. When information drips out instead, of flows out. The vacuum fills the narrative, and when the officials story doesn't feel complete, the unofficial ones become irresistible. So I'll leave you this. We Americans can handle plenty of bad news. What we cannot handle is missing news. You got to tell us everything. Don't hold back, because if you do, if we find out and you held back, it is so much worse. The more than institutions give us half truths, delayed truths, redacted truths, or contradictory truths or alternative facts, the more this week in history becomes every week in our political system.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Enjoy conspiracy Week in the Todd Cash a time machine. By the way, if you're looking for some good jonestown documentaries, there are a ton of them out there. They're all fascinating. There was a couple recently, I think on Netflix that definitely is worth your time. My friend Jeff Morley JFK. Fax is a terrific substack. He goes through, He goes through all the government releases the way you would want a reported to do it. You know, yes, he has his theories, but he separates the facts from the theories. I wish I had a really good place for you to go for all things having to do with filling the gaps and Watergate. But in some ways, I think I think we've filled we have between Garrett Graft's most recent book about Watergate, plus everything Woodward and Bernstein has done, we have a pretty decent handle on them. So you know what this means. It's college football time. Okay, So Miami kept up its end of the bargain, had a nice I will say I was pleasantly surprised. There's there's nothing like a Hurricane's game when the defense sort of sparks things and the pick six early set the tone. The offense started to hum. Yes, NC State didn't have the best of defenses, but the fact is Miami won by a margin that they should win by. They covered the spread. I think they doubled actually the actual spread. So it was a it was a decisive victory. And you know, some things went Miami's way as far as you know, teams that needed to lose ahead of them, A few teams did. Texas lost, that's a big one. They're not you know, they're they're not going to get in even a victory over Texas. A and m they're not a three loss team, is not yet going to make the playoff. A couple other things, Boston College had Georgia Tech on the ropes. You know, I certainly would like to see Miami be able to play itself into the playoff, not having to wait to see if their body of work will be considered better or worse than the body of work of other two loss teams. But I want to get to that here in a minute. But for the look in fairness, I think it was the best game mim he's played since Notre Dame and in South Florida, where two which were probably the two most complete games they've played all year. Even the Florida game, they didn't play a great first half. It was the second half that they sort of put that game away. But but Notre Dame, they played three great quarters. They let they let Notre Dame sort of make the game look like it was a close game. And I think this this. You know, they basically were ahead by double digits most of the game. Notre Dame gets a lay touchdown and so the game looked closer than it actually was. But this was a pretty complete game they got. This was the last home game senior Day, they got two more road games, Virginia Tech and then Pit. And let's talk about Pitt because Notre Dame now got to face a PIT team that did not chose to play an exhibition game. Now, I'm not saying the players that actually played in the game didn't play hard. They did, but the coaching staff made a decision that they were not going to play to win this game. Anybody that was fifty to fifty you could play, but you know, they'd rather have him rest for the conference their last two conference games, which are Georgia Tech and Miami. They chose to do that. The coach went public earlier in the week and said, it doesn't this game was meaningless to them. This was akin to a preseason game, an exhibition game. They could lose by one hundred, it didn't matter. Their path to a playoff did not go through Notre Dame. Their path to the playoff went through making it to the ACC Conference title game. And if they went out, they will have a place in the title game, which brings me to and then, by the way, same thing just happened a week earlier with Notre Dame when they played Navy. When Navy decided not to play one of their quarterbacks in that game, Horvat saving him because he had been somewhat he'd been dinged up a little bit. They wanted to basically give him a week off before their conference game against South Florida. By the way, that was a terrific game. I watched a lot of that game that was in my multibox. That was a fun game to watch, and it was a shootout and somehow South Florida couldn't stop Navy very often. And Navy won that game, and they still have a path to the college football playoff again through the Group of five playoff slot. Again, the Notre Dame game was meaningless to them in their attempt to get.
Speaker 2: To the playoff.
Speaker 1: So now Notre Dame and this, you know, I saw that ESPN was promoting this win on Pitt as if it was an impressive win that hey, they they had. They made it part of their ticker lead, and they made it seem as if that this they played an exhibition game. Pitt did not take this game seriously. And I do think the College Football Committee, if there, if this committee is serious, and I am I am a huge skeptic. Given that three years in a row, they have made decisions that were not about football teams that were instead about what ESPN wanted or what the SEC wanted, which maybe one and the same. Right, we go back to the decision not to put Florida State in the end of the playoff when they were undefeated after winning their conference title game, and they just chose not to put Florida State in. Right. So, if you're wondering why I have have been so hard on ESPN and the SEC about this, is because not that they might do this, because they've already done it once and then they arguably did it last year. Miami absolutely belonged in that playoff and they chose not to put Miami in because they didn't want to put in a third ACC team.
Speaker 2: They have decided the ACC isn't.
Speaker 1: Worthy of having two or three teams on any given year. That's just a decision they make, period. There is not I would argue, not as many metrics that would actually argue for that than others want to say. But this is the decision, yes, or they're not going to put in two Big twelve teams, and they're gonna try really hard not to put in two ACC teams. We'll see if Miami can sort of force the envelope. But explain to me, I mean to me, if you were to treat Notre Dame as sort of instead of knowing that it was Notre Dame. And I just gave you the profile of team A, Team B, Team C, Team D. Right, there is no way Notre Dame is a playoff team. They don't have a good Their best win is USC, who may or may not be a competitor for a playoff spot. And then two of their victories are against teams that chose essentially to pull some of their starters so that they didn't face the toughest version of PITT. Miami's going to face the toughest version of PITT. They didn't face the toughest version of Navy. South Florida faced the toughest version of Navy. So you know, I I that that should matter if the head to head isn't going to matter. Now, obviously the most important thing ought to be the head to head. Notre Dame loses to Miami and they're both ten and two, it's obvious what any actual tie breaking scenario in any other league, the first tiebreaker is head to head.
Speaker 2: Now they don't.
Speaker 1: There is no there are no rules, right, this committee has never said what the metrics are to get into the playoff. They don't release a criteria. You know what that means, because they make up the criteria when they when it suits them. Right, If if it's easier to make a case for a team to get in because of their losses, they'll say, hey, they have great losses. And if it's easier to make a case for a team to get in because they have great wins, and they'll say, hey, they have great wins. Right, But they don't seem to have a standardized metric on what matters more wins or losses when you're trying to differentiate between a ten and two team or three ten and two teams. In fact, we're gonna have a lot of this, right, You're gonna have You may have ten and two Oklahoma, ten and two Notre Dame, ten and two, Alabama, uh and ten into in Miami. And let's just take a look at this. Okay, Alabama, one of their losses is a team Miami beat. Do you think that's going to matter to the committee. I'm not naive. I know it's not going to matter. I'll give Alabama this. They have the best win of the four because Alabama beat Georgia, so they will get credit for that. Oklahoma has now Alabama is their best win, right They lost to Texas, a team that Florida beat, a team that Miami whipped before Florida was giving up okay, before the whole firing and all that business. And then of course when you compare Miami Notre Dame, Miami beat Notre Dame. Obviously I'm singling those four teams out because I am that if they all four ten and two and there's three slots for those four teams, I know this committee is going to try to keep Miami out. And if you looked at him in a blind survey, Miami argue at believest the second best of those four. If you're going to do that, let alone third or fourth.
Speaker 2: So I all I am.
Speaker 1: I want to try to give the assume that some people on this committee take their job seriously and are simply trying to get the best teams. The fact is Miami's probably got one of the three best rosters in the nation, easily, the combination best offensive and defensive lines going for whatever reason, the committee decided to overly punish Miami for losing a gamed SMU on the road. They didn't punish him as much for the first loss to Louisville, but they punished him a lot for that SMU loss. It was a way over punishments in this idea that when you lose somehow should should matter. And I know this has always sort of been out there because of the of the screwyway college football work. But again, in the NFL, your record's your record, and if there's a tiebreaker, it doesn't matter when that game happened. Right. The head to head is the head to head.
Speaker 2: So look, Mimi's got to do its part.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm still you know, you know, the irony is that Miami should be undefeated, shouldn't have lost either one of those games. Sort of coach farted those games away, arguably, and they were both winnable even at the very end, but they got coach farted away. I think I'm gonna try to use that term going forward, coach farting. But we'll see what the committee does. But the thing that I that I want to see whether this committee is taking itself seriously at all, is the fact that Notre Dame has two teams on their schedule that decided not to play to one, and this is the look Notre Dame should be ding for not being in a conference playing conference games. The stakes are higher when you don't have a conference game, there's no stakes. Yes, the stakes are higher, they have to keep winning, but the conference game is so much more high pressure. And whether your conference road game or hosting a team that just you would make their season if they beat you, which is just about every team Miami plays in the ACC. Okay, you know what Miami doesn't do. They don't storm fields because when you win national titles, you don't worry about storming a field because because it isn't a big deal to you until you actually win the whole thing. But I tell you, I've been to plenty of Miami games where the other team storms the field because it's a big deal of them to beat Miami in a regular season. Notre Dame knows this feeling. Plenty of teams when they've upset Notre Dame on the road, they storm the field. But the fact is Miami is playing more high pressure games. Shoot, Oklahomas playing more high pressure games. Us every one of the power for because of how important this path to the playoff is. These conference games are much more high stakes and Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Doesn't have any of them.
Speaker 1: And so I actually think that Notre Dame not the arrogance of Notre Dame not being in a conference and still wanting to be treated equally compared to what everybody else has to go through with these conference schedules. I actually think that these athletic directors that are on this committee, as much as they want to, you know, do whatever they have to do for ESPN for the ESPN Invitational here, at the same time, are irritated that Notre Dame doesn't have to go through this conference business. So at a minimum, Rhys Davis, please ask whoever's going to be that I think it's now the Arkansas ad who is going to be the spokesperson for the committee. Please ask them whether the committee is going to essentially downgrade the two victories that Notre Dame had over Navy and pit They should be downgraded. They did not face they faced an exhibition. They faced two teams that treated the game as an exhibition. I'm not saying the players themselves did, but the coaching staff did. And when you say you don't care if you win the game, you know your players hear it. So when you're comparing not every ten and two record should be treated the same. And I think clearly here Notre Dame should be the one that's in much bigger trouble in their playoff path right now because they have teams that are not taking the Notre Dame game that seriously anymore because of how important now the conference pathway is. I have to say a few other notes on what I saw over the weekend. I get more impressed at Texas Tech all the time. I have no idea why anybody's ranking Oregon as high as they are. I think Oregon I have some questions about Oregon here. You know, yes, they have one loss. I'll be this Oregon USC game coming up. It's a huge game to see if the Big ten can get three teams into the playoffs. But Oregon's best win is now Penn State. How good of a win is that Oregon needs to blow out USC? I think to justify they're certainly to justify how to see them at ranked as high high as they are. I got to give Texas A and M a ton of credit both A and M this week in Indiana. Last week, when you should lose a game and you figure out a way to win and you're one of these undefeated teams, I am in some ways more impressed. They didn't play their best game in the first half. You know, I gave you that tip last week. I said, hey, I had heard that with the new offensive coordinator, they're worried about losing Lenora Sellers in the portal. There's even rumors at Miami he may end up at Miami that they were going to open things up a little bit. And boy did they and he looked terrific in that first half, and A and M shut him down and shut everything down in the second half. So I have to say A and M impressed me, and impressed me quite a bit. They don't have to win another game. They will, but they don't have to win another game. I'm very curious, and here's going to be something to see. Texas got its third loss.
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 1: You know, what's their intensity going to be like for the rest of the season, particularly for the A and M game at the end of the year. It's exciting to see Texas, Texas, A and M play I think they're gonna be playing on Thanksgiving weekend, which will be kind of nice that And then there's Vanderbilt. You know, there's still They're still sitting there at eight and two, and you have Utah sitting there and eighty two, both ahead of Miami. So don't don't think I haven't. I don't have my eyes on them on that front. I have a feeling if Miami takes care of business and wins by margin in their last two games, that they likely leapfrog, because again, Miami does have better wins I think than either of those other two teams. But we shall see. All in all, I am obviously nervous, I'm willing, I'm trying to will every everything I have and making sure Miami is treated fairly in this. That's all I'm asking is that Miami is treated fairly, because I don't think the a c C in general gets treated fairly in this, and frankly, until we have a year where they are treated fairly, you're going to have a hard time convincing any fan of any team in the a c C that the that ESPN or the College Football Playoff Committee or the ESPN Invitational Committee, whatever you want to call it is going to give an ACC team a fair shot. But like I said, I will I will pull back some of my critique of the media company's influence on this committee if I see some hard questioning of the committee chair on this issue of whether Notre Dame's two victories over Navy and Pitt ought to be downgraded. So with that, I do enjoy trolling my friends that are Notre Dame fans on this one. But in all seriousness, if I know if somehow this could be used as a demerit against an ACC team, this committee would be all over it. It's a big name, Notre Dame that's doing it. Will they have the guts to publicly call out Notre Dame's victories on this one?
Speaker 3: We shall all right with that.
Speaker 1: I hope you even had a good weekend. Hope you enjoyed your weekend. I'm glad, since I'm traveling a lot this week that all of the airports are up and running. I thank those TSA agents and those air traffic controllers who have been working without pay. Thank you for doing that. Thank you for your surch of us. Thank you for at least doing what you can to keep a government that behaves so dysfunctionally, a bit more functional and with that until I upload again.
Speaker 3: M m hmmm.